Speaker 1: You and Taylor Smith will make a cute couple. Y'all. All right, y'all be killing, y'all be killing y'all.
Speaker 2: Man Dale, Oh the tailor one on me. I'm toxic, shall all my life, grinding all.
Speaker 3: My life, sacrifice, hustle, P pricing one slice. Got the brother geis swap all my life, Poppy, grinding all my life, all my life, grinding all my life, sacrifights, hustle, p pricing one slice, Doctor brother geiswap all my life, iop be grinding all my life.
Speaker 4: Hello, welcome to another edition of Club Shasha. I am your host, Shannon Sharp. I'm also the propriet of Club Shaha, and the guy that's stopping by for conversation and a drink today is a three time Grammy Award winning hit maker, a multi platinum selling singer, iconic songwriter, pop basalist, R and B powerhouse dancer, composer, producer, internationally acclaimed recognized.
Speaker 1: And a live, very very live and all the way live performer.
Speaker 4: Neil you doing, I'm good, but you'll stop eybody man to give me a coming bite of your time today.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: My research. If my research is correct, you're a vodka drinker.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I don't have vodka, but I have my very own Konjact. I would be honored if you would have a toast to your success and my success. You want, Hey, we're not gonna tell the club because you know the brown people, the brown make it tell the club up.
Speaker 1: We're not gonna tell the club up.
Speaker 2: Tonight I saw good. I happily do it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, appreciate you, bro yesterday you know just the doctor.
Speaker 2: It is new.
Speaker 1: You had this while I had. We went since twenty twenty one. Cool all success, brod smooth, you know a little something acute ever we want.
Speaker 4: We beat twelve hundred knjacts at the Simple Wards the best tastes in Kangjact in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: So I appreciate you doing that. So how you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm good man, I'm in a good space, real a good space.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you stopping by. I know you had a big gig in Vegas. Actually we were on the plane flying back together yesterday.
Speaker 1: I was like, bad, I don't know if he just going have But.
Speaker 2: Now luckily I am virtually It's impossible for me to stay awake on the airplane. That's where I catch up on my sleep, even though that was like a thirteen second flight. Right still here, Oh yeah, I can't stay awake on the plane. The second butt touch seat, I'm gone. I don't want the water. I don't want to Peanut, don't you You're just gone gone whole time.
Speaker 1: Let's get right into it.
Speaker 4: The AI generated songs we see that Drake is complaining about. I think he had a song with the Weekend generated twenty million strings in forty eight hours. He complained about the song that he made with an ice Spice.
Speaker 1: Where is your what is your stance on this?
Speaker 2: I'm just okay. I feel like technology is very much like fire. It can destroy or it can warm a home, you know what I mean. Like, it's about it's about the way you use it. However, this specific technology, what is the good aspect of it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What is the positive aspect of this technology? Like? What good thing are they going to do with it? Because I can totally see all the bad things that can be done. Right, It's like, you know, somebody said to me the other day, they have an AI now where you can tell the AI to write a song in the form of neo right, and then there's another AI you can go to and get Neo's voice to sing said song that was just written in the form of Neo. So basically, what does that mean? Neo no longer need it? So I'm like, what is it? What is the what is the endgame with this? Like, I don't, I don't. I don't understand what the positive aspect of this technology is.
Speaker 4: So you're telling me that there's an AI that can says, okay, basically be a ghost writer.
Speaker 2: Write a song like Neo, using words that Neo may use, tones that Neo may use, and then you can go to another AI and get Neo's voice to sing that song.
Speaker 1: Do you think record companies are going to head in this direction?
Speaker 2: I don't know, that's the thing, because I don't. I don't understand. Even with this Drake thing right now, right twenty million streams and however many streams of twenty four So that's that's money that's kind of just sitting there. Who gets paid? Who they get that money to? Like? Am I like, how how.
Speaker 4: If your soul you feel you should be getting monetizing.
Speaker 2: That If it's it's his voice, it's his voice used to us through AI, Like he I feel like he should get something for that, because they're using his voice. I'm more than certain he didn't give them permission.
Speaker 1: You feeling somebody get sued behind this article?
Speaker 2: I listen if saying my voice on it, I might be the first to sue. I'm trying to figure out. I just again, I don't get it. If somebody can tell me what the positive aspects of this technology is, all right, let's figure that out. Now, it's just a matter of how they use it. But if it ain't no positive aspects, and y'all, now, y'all, just y'all literally just taking money out of people's pocket, right, So.
Speaker 4: In other words, they're basically trying to cut the artists, the actual breathing, living artists, out.
Speaker 1: Of the equation.
Speaker 2: That's what it feels like.
Speaker 4: We see all these social media TikTok. Are you a fan of these like these shorts catchy jingles.
Speaker 2: To a degree? I mean, when it's when it's fun, it's fun, and that's all I find it good. But when all of a sudden, now the radio has to play this song because it's so popular on TikTok. Meanwhile, the best part of the song you heard on TikTok already and the rest of the song is gabbage, you know what I mean. It just takes down the quality of the music played on the radio. I mean it's again, it's about the way the technology is used.
Speaker 1: So you don't like this trend the word it's.
Speaker 2: Headed, not really, man, I mean so I feel like people are creating for the algorithm now as opposed to creating from from the heart, from the soul, like what music is supposed to. Music is supposed to be therapeutic. Music is supposed to be you as your realist. You know what I'm saying. There's things that I can't say out loud that I can write in a song and be totally all right with you know. So that's that's supposed to be the realist version of you. If you're writing a song and you're making the song a minute and twenty seconds long because of the fact that if the song is shorter it'll get streamed more, then you're not like you're not writing that. That's nothing. You're not saying anything worth being said in my personal opinion, So.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you this.
Speaker 4: You do you feel like artists make songs to be popular or do they make songs that they really feel It seems like me, I'm talking to you, you make songs that you feel passionate about and whether you know, yeah, obviously you want you wanted to be pop anyone, but you're not just specifically trying to make a song that's gonna be catchy.
Speaker 2: That's not my thing. No. Music has been therapy for me my entire you know what I mean. I credit my mother for giving me my first red notebook and telling me to write it down. And I was like, write what down? And she's like, I don't give it damn, just write it down because she saw that I needed an outlet, you know. So that's what music has always been for me. So if if I write something, what I've always found found for myself is that if I write from the heart, people tend to feel it more, thus attends to do better.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So I've never been I've never been to a place where it's like, Okay, let me write something that I feel like is gonna make money. That's never been my my That's never been my motivating factor, I should say for music, it's always been about being able to express myself, being able to being able to get that thing off me if I need, if I need that, That's what music has always been for me.
Speaker 1: So have you always had this gift?
Speaker 4: I mean because obviously you listen to music growing up and you know, like, man, I like this, did you go after you hear a song?
Speaker 1: And do you like? Okay, let me try to write something in the paper.
Speaker 2: To that degree something like that. I my mom used to watch TV with stereo on. Okay, Like music was always there every day, all day, more than just you know, cleaning the house on Sunday morning, Like every single day, it's music blaring out of our house. So it took me a minute to take the whole concept of the words that I was putting together and then putting these melodies with these words and then creating a song. Initially it was just kind of like, uh, journal entries, you know what I mean, or poems, you know, I find a little girl I like, and I write write a poem about her hair. Never get a poem to the girl, because I wasn't you know, I wasn't that dude. I had to grow into that dude anyway. But but yeah, that was it is what it is now. But well, yeah it took a minute to put the two together. But once I did, like it became all I needed. Like I didn't need I didn't need any other type of therapy. I didn't need anybody to talk to because I had my music. I could, I could. You know, I wasn't judged by anybody, uh, when it was just me and my music. So like it became my best friend.
Speaker 1: Growing up. Who were some of the artists that you listened to? I don't know. I mean Teddy Pendergrass was when I growing up.
Speaker 4: Very white, so classics obviously, you know you had baby Face and you had Keith Sweat and you have so who did Neo Bari or like Okay, I kind of like this style.
Speaker 2: Like I don't think anybody listening to music in the nineties or was around for music in the nineties. I don't think any songwriter after that period can say that they didn't borrow something from Babyface. Yeah, Faces Faces Foundation, right.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But then to go further back, you're Smokey Robinson. You know I have I have five Kings, and these are the five artists that I've always wanted to like, you know, if I could take these five person people on tournament in one person. This is who Neo was going to be, you know, this is what I was going to So it was Prince, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Samit Davis, Junior, Marvin Gaye.
Speaker 1: So like.
Speaker 2: So so my entire everything, my entire artistry came from me just pulling bits and pieces from these five specific artists.
Speaker 4: So you're more of a because most of these guys wrote a lot of these guys wrote for themselves. So you like the you like to write for yourself, but you like to write for other artists also.
Speaker 2: Indeed, indeed, I I started loving was all writing was always my first love. So I'm trying to say Kanye getting to me again, no no, no, no, but writing be even even so much before performing and all of that. Writing has always been my first love. So yeah, I learned that I could do it for other people as well. Actually started out doing it for other people before I, you know, got I guess confident enough to find my own voice and do the artists.
Speaker 4: Like radio streaming, it seems like streaming is kind of the way to go. Is like things, you still have the radio play, but it seems like streaming is the way to go.
Speaker 1: Now do you have a preference.
Speaker 2: You know what I put it like this, when they get the numbers right, when they finally you know, open up them books and realize that them laws is one hundred plus years old. All the music laws are one hundred plus years Okay, every aspect of music has evolved except the laws. And the laws are how artists make money, you know what I mean. Like streaming is cool, finding good, but it's to the point where if you are just a songwriter, just a songwriter, it's hard for you to live off of what you do.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So you know, once they get the numbers right with the streaming, I'm all for it. I'm all for you know, the evolution of the way people get their music, the way people consume the music. I'm all for that. But at some point somebody has to go, a wait a minute, these guys ain't getting what they work over you, right, you know what I mean? And that's that's what that's where it's at right now. You know, I don't even I don't even remember what a stream is right now. But at one point it was like like a fraction of opinion. I mean, streams you gotta get before you can see any real mind. You know, that's just that's mess up.
Speaker 4: Well, how do you change your system when the system is not instituting changes because they benefit the most from it.
Speaker 2: That's the problem. That's the problem. I I wish I could say that if the people rally together. But again, you know, the people that are pulling, the people that are pulling the strings are the people that are benefiting the most from the system staying what it is. So yeah, it's so uphill battle man. Why don't figure it out?
Speaker 1: Why don't love songs sold like they used to?
Speaker 4: Because you seem like you're back in the day he got song they I want to beat with you for the night. I want to like candles, I want to tell the pronographs. I want to turn off the lives and run the bath all. I would have a bubble baffa do all that now, it seemed like it want to be a smashing smashing Dash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, smashing Dash goes. I like smashing Dash. No, you got a songwriter spirit brother smashing Dash. Right.
Speaker 4: You know I'm saying that because I don't come to me that he gave it out here.
Speaker 2: Before we started sending some relatives. Brother Rick co written by what.
Speaker 4: Happened to the real soul love making song that you turn old you like, but this.
Speaker 1: Is my damn.
Speaker 2: I hate to I hate to say it this way, but there's there's there's really no way to beat around the bush. Every genre of music at one point got a hip hop makeover, okay, right, country music, country music got a hip hop makeover. Right? Hip hop has never been about love, so to speaker, at least not that farm. In the world of hip hop, that that love and that vulnerability was was looked at its soft right. So once hip hop became literally the biggest music in the world, now all the all the all you please, baby, baby please guys is looking at the fact that their audiences are shrinking and the hip hop audience is growing. So now it's like, all right, well, maybe she don't want me to beg no moment. Maybe that's that's what they want. All right, Well, now I gotta be tough now, now I gotta now, I gotta sing the word bitch, what what? And and and the women is gonna sing it with me? What? This is where we are now, This is where we are now, and it's it again, it is what it is. I cannot be a lover of music and not uh find the positive aspects of all genres of music and all evolutions of music, But at the same time, when an entire genre of music is no longer what it was at its best moments because of this other genre takeover. Yeah, man, that don't that don't feel good? That don't feel good.
Speaker 4: I heard all the time it's R and B dead. And if it's not, what, will R and B ever be what it once was?
Speaker 2: I do not think that R and B is dead. I think that R and B is going through a bit of an identity crisis right now. And will R and B ever be what it was? I don't think so. I think that the evolution of music is always going to be a forward motion as opposed to a backward most I just think that there's going to come a point where somebody of this new generation is going to realize the power of the way, what the way R and B was, and then grab elements of that and pull it into whatever the next thing is. That's what That's what I think it's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Did Auto Tunes ruined R and B?
Speaker 2: It didn't ruin it. It just made the club a little less elite. You know what I mean? Long long you had to that was what it was. You wouln't. You couldn't be part of the team if you didn't. I'll take it even back further than like before me, before your Joe de season, all that back when it was the whole band is in one room. We got to record this record. The drums got a microphone, the guitar got a microphone, the singer got a microphone, the backup singers got microphones. Ready action, you do the whole song all the way down. There is no flying taking up hook part and copy and pastes. We gotta do the whole song every hook sang out the whole every single time the person messing up your ass out of here, bro like na, we gotta start all the way over because you missed a note on the bass. Come on, But so you had to be like you had to be on it. You had to be on it. Now you can push a button and get it all, which means that the club is not as elite as it once was. Now anybody can come in.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, you mentioned boy bands.
Speaker 4: You started out as a boy bandes, what happened to the boy band.
Speaker 2: To a degree, the same thing that kind of happened to R and B is. You know what's worse than one dude sitting around big and four what it became. It's just to say that truth, that's what it became. Now, if if we ever get another boy band, it's gonna be more than likely a primarily hip hop based situation because we got to get back to that point where people realize the power of vulnerability. I don't think that. I don't think anybody understands how much power there is in being able to be vulnerable. You make vulnerable not look weak. There's no way it's vulnerable.
Speaker 4: Oh do you think they'll ever be? I mean, because you know, would there ever be another new kids and boys to me and in sync?
Speaker 1: And do you? I mean because I mean if.
Speaker 4: Splitting two hundred thousand, three hundred thousand and six ways as opposed to like six hundred thousand one way sounds better than.
Speaker 2: Me right, definitely, so definitely. So I mean, and mind you, let us keep in mind that the boy band is not dead. It's not it's not dead. It's just Korean.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Shout out to BTS, Shout out to the whole K pop movement, like they still they still going strong with the boy band movement. It's just it's I don't know, you know what, I got to give a lot of credit to K pop and just I've been over there and saw just the machine that it is over there. Like they're literally going from like from a kid from a child and training these kids in music, guitar with piano, real live music, teaching them how to really sing, really dance, and then deciding if they're gonna get in a group or if you're gonna be a solo artist. And it's like and it's producing. It's producing a pretty quality product of producing on myself. So shout out to K pop and just everything that's happening in that movement. Man, it's dope.
Speaker 1: What happened to your group? Why stay together?
Speaker 2: We we disbanded because we was broke, and you know, you can only be broke for so long before you know, being broke with people just gets annoying.
Speaker 1: It's like one person be broke where you got five.
Speaker 2: I can be broke by myself and b aight for a little while, but I'm broke with you, and I got to listen to you plan by being broke to bro I don't. But now we we eventually broke up because you know, things just wasn't moving away we expected in the movie. And mind you we it's not like we really sat down and devised like the best plane, right, you know what I mean? We after after graduation, we all sat in the Dennys in Las Vegas and rode out on a napkin what our plan was. And the plan was hopping Corey's van because Corey was the only person, only one of us with a car. Hopping Corey's van driver California, find a Capitol Records building, Park in front of the Capitol Records Building, jump up on top of the van and sing our songs until the president of the Capitol Records comes down and gives us a record deal. This was the plan. Notice I didn't mention food, I didn't mention shelter. Yeah, all of these things that that was so easy. Shelter Corey's van provided shelter for six months, foecasts in the in a v W van for six months. Yeah. Yeah, that's that's that's that's that's the epitome of.
Speaker 1: What you were dedicated.
Speaker 4: You like, Okay, this is what is gonna take for the time being. So we got to make the best of the situation.
Speaker 2: We did what we had to do until we just couldn't do it no more. It just it just got to the point where it's like, all right, you know what, maybe this ain't what it's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: So did the guy come down from Capitol Records?
Speaker 2: And the only people that came out of Capitol Records for us was security the law. Yes, we got to a first name basis with the security guard at Capitol Records because we would show up around the same time every day, get up sing our songs, you know what I'm saying. We started doing it when we knew everybody was at lunch, so people would come out, you know, sometimes they throw us a little change or whatever the case may be. But then after a while, dude like, all right, y'all gotta make a movie. All right, ted, we'll be back tomorrow. Yep.
Speaker 1: So who would you compare your group? Took? What was your group? What would we?
Speaker 2: We idolized Boyston men?
Speaker 1: Okay, so we was we.
Speaker 2: Was about you know, finding them four and five part harmony, right right, y'all love songs. That was our thing.
Speaker 1: No instruments, any instrument.
Speaker 2: Not not well enough to get on stage with them. Now sit in the room and tap out on the piano thing thinking think yeah, this one thing thing, think that one. That's that's about as good as we got with.
Speaker 4: So when you performed the MTV you did Apollo Show Apollo, you was like, Okay, I made it, or did you like I'm still not here.
Speaker 2: Yet with the group or just as myself you feel as myself? It was definitely good to be able to go back to some of those places where you know, I kind of fell on my face with the with the group and and and do it over. Uh that that definitely felt good. But now I didn't realize I made it until I We used to throw a Grammy party every year, whether we want or not, we just throw the party. And I remember Prince and Steven Wander crash my party. Now crash my party is not the way that I want to say that, because but who's not letting Steven Win and Prince Lee bud so y'all, y'all had crashed nothing. They just they showed up. They showed up uninvited. I didn't invite them because I'm like, I figured they wouldn't come, but yeah, they they crashed my party. So I remember they. I remember sitting in the section. Prince is right here and Stevie Wonder is right here, and I'm just sweating bullets, like what do I say?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: These are two of the reasons that I even do this, right, So I took a sip of my drink. Prince Lean's over and goes, what are you drinking? Vodka cranberry? He goes, mind you, I'm already sitting this closer, man, So now you want me to get even close? Okay, all right, it's just fucker's.
Speaker 1: Bad for you.
Speaker 2: And didn't say nothing else the rest of the time he was at That was the That was the entirety of our conversation. I didn't touch the drink until it left again.
Speaker 1: I couldn't well clearly listen to it because.
Speaker 2: No, no, But in the moment, in the moment, you know, it was that, you know, Deebo say shut up, I shut up.
Speaker 1: Your first deal? What was that moment?
Speaker 2: Like my first deal, my first deal with was with Columbia Records, and it was I'll say this, it was a learning experience, you know, a as an artist signed to a label, you don't got a whole lot of freedom, but there are some elements of it that you can control, you know. I went in under the impression that I had no control of anything. So I was kind of like, it's kind of like a robot a little bit, you know what I'm saying. Pretty much, whatever they told me to do, I did whatever they told me to wear, whatever producers they told me to work with, you know, just because I'm thinking, I worked so hard to get here, let me not rock the boat, right. So it finally came down to the album is done, the artwork is done, We've picked the first single, were ready to go, and I'm looking at like a flyer of the artwork, and I'm like, this is not me, this is not me, This is like, this is baby tyres Is. Somebody like, no disrespect to Tyrene, but I feel like that's kind of the direction they were trying to go with me. If you see the pictures, it's like, yeah, there's a little Tyresis anyway, much a lot of Tyreses anyway. So I go to the label on some listen. I know the album is finished, but do y'all think I could go in and maybe do one or two more songs that just kind of fit. Who the hell I am right, And they were like, well, no album is done, and also your budget is depleted. I'm like, how much my budget depleted? I know exactly what we spent. And this is when I learned that, Okay, I don't know if this still goes on. It's been a while since I've had this happen to meet. But you get a record deal and they take you out to eat and they throw that credit card down at the end of the night, and what they don't tell you is that that's your budget on that credit card. What yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. We went with Tomtterr Child's a bunch of different times. I'm like, they just you love me in here, mister Childs every time we visited. All right, my label loved me. No. I was paying for all that and had no idea, had no clue what it was.
Speaker 4: Clearly you said your first deal, so things didn't go as expect you when you were dropped, what are you thinking?
Speaker 2: To be completely honest with you, I went into a slight depression just behind really feeling like, you know, my foot was in the door. Maybe I should have just maybe I should just went with what they wanted me to do. Maybe I should have, you know, to hell with artistic integrity and just go for it. But then I know, I know in the back of my head, I would have never been able. I wouldn't been able to look myself in the maryor so I'm back to square one, just kind of trying to figure it out at this point. You know, Yeah, it was, it was. It was a rough little moment just because I didn't know that that was like the most uncertain moment that I that I had experienced up to then. You know, because even even when we was living in the van, you know, I'm talking to my mom every day, and I knew that if push come to shove and it hit the fan, I could go on home. But then in this situation, I'm out here. I'm rough Lee twenty twenty one years old. I just got dropped from my record label. My managers is not picking up the phone no more because we got dropped from a record Like it's like, all right, well, clearly they don't want you. I have no I have no options, no anything, right, So it's it's literally a back to square one moment, and I just leaned on what was always there, which was the music. You know what I'm saying. I literally met the man that is my manager today as I was walking down the street, just literally singing at the top of my lungs with my eyes closed because I was that's the only place that I could find solace. And I'm just walking and singing, and he's in an suv driving in the opposite direction. Scared turned around in the middle of the street and came back, Ay you singing something? Yeah, clearly, yeah, I choke. You said, I know this person, this person, that person I got this studio that is I to mind you. I'm hearing this. I'm seeing his lips moving, but I ain't listening nothing whatever. Brook All right, well, right round the corner, all right, come on, let's go. I hopped in the van again. I don't know who this person is. You could have you could have killed me. I ain't know. He brought me around the corner to uh, these two these two producers that he was working with. And I worked with him for roughly three to four months before we got the death Jam deal and mind you, no contract. He said to me, He said, to me, listen, I'm gonna shake your hand right now. If I don't get you a deal in four months, you walk away with that handshaking. We go out, we go away. So I don't need no paper, I don't need no nothing. Four months to the day, I had a record deal. I had a record deal. Death Jam. Yeah, so much load of tango, much letter, my team, much a lot of compound.
Speaker 1: That's you go to death Jam. Yes, that goals. That's your second record, that's your second record contract. Things going well.
Speaker 2: Things are going well. Things are going well because I went in there with a little bit of knowledge. It's like noa, noa, we don't need to go to Miss Challo.
Speaker 1: Yeah we're good. I'm good. Yeah, I cooked before I left.
Speaker 2: I'm straight left overs.
Speaker 1: We're good, right good Okay.
Speaker 2: So and then also I got the opportunity to talk to la Read and really talk to him like from an artist, from an artist soul to an artist soul. I went to him and said, listen, the music that you're that you've heard and that you've liked, is the music that I really do. If this is a situation where you're gonna try to turn me into somebody else, we don't have to do this. I'll go somewhere else. And he said to me, he was like, I'm signing you because I like what you do. Why would I try to change that? And that was just a quiet cool you know, I can actually express myself for real and really be who I am and and get this music out here the right way. And sure enough, that's what happened.
Speaker 1: So when did when did jay Z take over Death Jail for La?
Speaker 2: Jay Z came in kind of right at the top of when I got signed, Like you know, l A l A was always you know, always top dog, but he took up. He's CEO president, you know. So yeah, Jay, I mean, my first time going to one of six part, jay Z took me on. Their first time going to tr L, jay Z took me on. He really kind of just took me under the wing, like you know, this is this is our new R and B artist and I appreciate him to this day for it.
Speaker 1: He got upset with you because you wrote a song gave it away.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so, uh, shortly before before the deaf Jam situation happened, I leaned on songwriting. You know, I was just I was just a songwriter. So I wrote a song for Mario you should let me love you?
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So this song goes on and uh stays at number one for like twelve thirteen weeks. Something like that becomes one of the most played songs in radio history. So when I the first time I got to meet jay Z, by this time, I've been signed for, you know, a couple of months at this point, I walked into the room and he's in there in La ref I walk in, like, Hey, how you doing. It's nice to meet you. You're like, man, why you get a damn song away?
Speaker 1: That first eight?
Speaker 2: Nice to meet you too, But I'm neil. Yeah, while you get a damn songway? Yeah, to this day, yeah, you get on me about giving a damn song away, But I was just a songwriter when I wrote it. I didn't write it for myself. I mean, had I known, do you think you could have done it justice like Mario did. I'll be the first to tell you that Mario got chops that I don't. You know that. I ain't got no shame in that, but I know that I got chops too, So yeah, I feel like I feel like it would have worked either way.
Speaker 1: Do you have you ever given a song away that you felt you should have kept.
Speaker 2: Once or twice, once or twice. There was a point in time where I would have a little bit of separation anxiety with certain songs, right you know what I mean? Like I feel like especially if I hear the end result and be like and am not totally pleased with some of the decisions made, right, you know, then it becomes that feeling of Man, if you was gonna do that, I could have just kept my damn song. But but at the same time, you have to you have to let an artist be an artist, right. I can't allow a person. I can't expect a person to think the way that I'm gonna think, make the choices that I'm gonna make, especially when I've given them the song. Like uh, Beyonce, for example, if you hear my version of Irreplaceable, you hear the basis, you hear the foundation, but then you hear her version and you hear all the Beyonce isms that she put on top of it. Like, you want an artist to do that for the record? You want that?
Speaker 1: When did you know your paying game was stroll?
Speaker 2: When I got my name, Honestly, I got my name from a producer friend of mine, Dion Evans Uh. He used to work a lot with with Digital on the ground back in the day park and all of them. He was a person that dubbed me Neo. It was it was shortly after the Matrix movie came out.
Speaker 1: So which came first, that Neo Matrix.
Speaker 2: Matrix Neo came first. Yeah, that Neo definitely came first. But the reference was the way Neil could do things in the Matrix that other people couldn't do.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: I could do things in music that other people couldn't do, Like, for example, I used to prove myself on how fast I could write a song, like give me an hour, I give you twelve records, quick, quick, quick. Now, not that's I said twelve records. I ain't say twelve good records, right. I learned later on quality versus quantity, But at that moment, I was I was the cat that was gonna get in there and just crank him out. And Dion says to me, He's like, it's like like he had never seen that before. Like you let the Neo the music industry, and that's where the name came from.
Speaker 1: You wrote to the.
Speaker 4: Left, to the left, Yes, indeed, I think now, correct me if I'm wrong, La read because did you want to do the song?
Speaker 1: And he said give it to Beyonce because he's like it fits more Beyonce.
Speaker 2: La was definitely part of that decision, but it was okay. So it was this, I wrote the song to do it myself myself and Stargate shout out to Stargate, let him got your death. But when we got finished with the song and we're listening to it, it and it's like it's it's just we knew it was a hit, but it feel right, you know what I'm saying. They didn't like I love this song, but it's something about this ship.
Speaker 1: I do not like.
Speaker 2: It became that. So that's that's when we finally started going, you know what, maybe if we okay, maybe if we flip this and flip that and and and let them want let a female do it. And like we was on the fence a little bit, and l a Ree was kind of the tipping factor, like, you know what, Yeah, I definitely feel like this song will get more more, more power punch with a woman singing it.
Speaker 1: How did you decide to give it to Beyonce?
Speaker 2: I didn't. We Actually we actually had shopped into a few different female artists who shall remain nameless because we want it, but want it, they adn't want it. They didn't understand man him. I'll say this, it's it's female artists. You know, it's female ARTI as you know, a whole bunch of them. Yep, and you know the one up you know the ones I'm talking don't know her.
Speaker 1: This is the first mission.
Speaker 2: No, no, not anger that, but yeah, Beyonce's name was not the first name that popped up when we were shopping the song. But once Beyonce got ahold of it, it became I mean, the rest is history, right, No, it became what people know in love today.
Speaker 4: So let's just say, for the sake of argument, I sing, I don't I say, Neil, I need you to write me something?
Speaker 1: How much you charge it?
Speaker 2: Hmm?
Speaker 1: Okay? You how does that work?
Speaker 4: Does somebody call you and say, hey, Neil, can you write me a song? Or do they send you like, what do you think of changes? Additions?
Speaker 2: Normally they ask and then okay. So it's if you're an independent artist. You know, I got the independent artist price because I know what it is to be independent, you doing everything yourself. I'm not gonna charge you what I would charge your record label, for example, because I know I'm not Yeah, I'm not you, I'm not hitting you. I'm getting your record label. So you know how how it happens, be it I run into the artists or artists management, reach out to my management or whatever the case may be. They say, we love for Neo to go in the studio for such and such artists.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: They would then set up studio time you know that they pay for it. However, many days or whatever they want me to go in, I go in, and whatever I write within those days, I submit to them what they like, they keep, but they don't.
Speaker 1: I get back.
Speaker 2: And that's how it works.
Speaker 1: Have you ever told anybody no.
Speaker 2: M Yes, yes I have, just because I genuinely didn't see it was it was a cat that wanted me to do a feature on his record, you know, up and coming dude, and it was it was just some real It just it wouldn't have made no sense in my personal opinion, wouldn't made no sense, like I'm never gonna do anything that's gonna intentionally jeopardize my brand or or you know, confused people in the realm of my brand, and it just wouldn't made no sense.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm looking at some of the people you've written for, Beyonce, Rihanna, Whitney and Mary J Jennifer Hudson, Monica, b K Music, So.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean you got a who's who? How do I mean?
Speaker 4: I mean all these people, I mean, everybody's coming out in the woodwork, said Neo Neo neo. And they expected you to write irreplaceable. They expected you to write to the left.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 4: I mean, Michael Jordan's going fifty every game. There was a couple of there's a couple of thirteen fourteen points in there too.
Speaker 2: It's been a it's been more than a couple of times where you know, an artist asked me for something and I'll write them what I feel like is what they asked for, and they'll they'll say, no, I mean that happens.
Speaker 1: It happened.
Speaker 2: But I don't. I don't so much because well not, because what didn't work for you might work for her or him or whoever you know, and once you give it back to me, his mind. Like their songs that made it to Beyonce's album made it to Rihanna's album that were not written for Beyonce Arihanna. These are the songs that other artists turned down, and these artists didn't.
Speaker 1: Not even looking hot. So let mess your question.
Speaker 4: How do you think an artist feel I turned this song down? I turned that song down? Beyonce did Rihanna? That could have been?
Speaker 2: I can imagine that. That's a hard pill to swallow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can, but hold on.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's maybe it's just Beyonce and Rihanna and you wouldn't have had the same success with said song.
Speaker 2: That's possible, that's possible, but the reality is you ain't even try. So who's to say, right, who's to say at least at least they had the guts to give it a try and it turned out to work for them.
Speaker 1: Have you ever written? Have you ever written? Have you written for someone?
Speaker 4: Because if they say, write me a song, if you're gonna pay you for it, do they ever say, nah, I'm not good, just keep it, or you just have to do you have to.
Speaker 1: Turn it over to them.
Speaker 2: No, I turn it over to them, you know, and then they decide whether they want to keep, which ones they want to keep. Whatever they don't keep, they just give.
Speaker 1: Back, okay, And then you shop it to somebody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shop it to somebody else. So I'll take a piece of it, turn it into a hook for this rapper. Everything, give me use for something, you know what I mean? It never, it's never anything that just has to in the archive.
Speaker 1: You ever had anything leaked? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, man, But how would you have to know who's doing it?
Speaker 1: Neo? Nah?
Speaker 2: So this this particular situation, this was back when Sony Studios existed in New York. You know, may it rested, It ain't there no more Sony Recording Studios, Stargate. They had a room at a room of their of their own in Sony Studio. Somebody broken Stony Studios and stole their hard drives. Me and Brandy had did like four records, and the following week them Joints was in the world. It's because somebody broke in and stole the hard drives. Wow, yeah, it happens. But since then, I mean, it's it's it's I don't know, it's a slippery slope. It's hard to keep anything absolutely private anymore, you know. So Yeah, I've definitely had had things leaked, but I've always looked at it as all right, Well, if the music leaked and people like it, that just adds to my fan.
Speaker 4: Base, right right, So when you when you say the writers, you say the writers into streaming. It's not the same writing for an album or things of that nature. Correct, What do you mean as far as you say, like the streaming SERTs like the right, you said writers when they streaming a record, the writers don't get the compensation that they deserved.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, no, the streaming the numbers that writers are getting for streams is not what it needs to be, not at all.
Speaker 1: So you got to have like need to stream like a billion times to make.
Speaker 2: Anything, billions millions and billions of streams before you start to see an your real money. Yes, definitely.
Speaker 4: So why do you why do you stay writing? I mean because it seems like everything is kind of like going towards the streaming industry, and that means it gets less and less in your pocket.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean there are there are exceptions to every situation and to every rule, right you know, I again, Uh, my motivating factor has never been financed in regard to this business. I do this because I love it. If there was no money to be made in it anymore, you still find a neo song somewhere really, Yes, yes, because I don't do this just for money. I thank God and the Creator that I can provide for my family doing what I love. But to be honest, if I could not provide for my family doing what I love, I would just find a way to provide for my family while doing what I love. You know what I mean? Because this is this is music is woven into my DNA. I couldn't stop if I wanted to.
Speaker 1: That's just what it is.
Speaker 4: So how's the interview process if somebody wants to write it? When you want someone wants you to write a song from them, do you sit, do you're talking the phone?
Speaker 1: Do y'all go out to dinner? Do you like get a sense?
Speaker 4: I mean, because if you know the artist, you kind of get a sense of kind of like the direction they want to go in.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's always, uh, it's always a sign of respect to ask an artist like, Okay, what's the what's the concept?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Is there a concept to your project as opposed to just trying to shove a song down their throat? Right? You know, because it's like, well, I don't even talk like that, all right, right, So so I'll definitely give the artists the respect of asking, you know, is there something specific you want to say? Is there a specific genre that you that you're hunting for? You know, we'll sit, we'll have a conversation. We'll have a kind of an off the cuff conversation like how's your love life, like, what's you know, what's going on in your world, what's what's keeping you awake at night if anything at all? And that's where we figure out what we want to write about and that and you know, I feel like doing that makes the artists know and understand that this is literally being custom made for you. This is not a song that I had in my back pocket and a right maybe I could sell it to this one. Not you, alright, maybe you No. It's like I'm literally asking you where you at and if you say something that that sparked something that I already got, yeah, I'll let you hear it. But ultimately and that you're paying me to be here. We're gonna sit and we're gonna talk, and I'm gonna create something for you from scratch.
Speaker 4: Were you in the studio when when Beyonce is doing Irreplaceable, did you know irreplaceable was going to be that I did not know. So at the studio and as you as you're writing this song and you hearing her singing.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing with Beyonce. Beyonce is one of those few artists that don't really need nobody, right. So I was there for about fifteen minutes, and I remember there was one instance where I tried to feed her no and she was like, it's cool, I got it.
Speaker 1: Like that, go get some coffee.
Speaker 2: Just gone by my bit. And mind you, by the time I came back in the rooms home with them like she's like was doing, took him out of maybe an hour to do that. To do what she needed to do in that moment, took him maybe an hour. So that wasn't I've dealt with artists where you kind of got a hold of hand through the whole process. And I ain't mad at that either, you know what I'm saying. But but you know, a person like like a Beyonce, like Beyonce is, she's an anomaly, Like she don't she she got every note, she know exactly what she wanted to do, ad lib wise and all of that. Like she'll she'll listen to your idea. But to be honest, she don't need you that right, you know what I mean? So that's that's what that was.
Speaker 1: Give me a mount Rushmore, a female artist you've written for?
Speaker 2: Oh Man, mount Rushmore. How many heads are mount Rushmore?
Speaker 1: I wasn't good. Okay, we ain't gonna let you add none either.
Speaker 2: Damn yeahs my mount rush for ye.
Speaker 1: I know you want to build a bob about Rushmore?
Speaker 2: All right, fa fa Top four, Beyonce, Rihanna, Mary J. Blige, Celine Dion.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Celeine Dion calls you, Neil? Does anybody have anybody since you've gone started giving going by the name Neo? Has anybody called you your government name, not.
Speaker 1: Lord?
Speaker 2: Maybe an attorney call you, yeah, mister Smith.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but does anybody have anybody say, in the last twenty years called you by your government name?
Speaker 2: Not any artists? Like you? Got to you got to know me. You got to get to that place where you really know who I am before you call me anything other than Neil.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, So Celeine Dion calls Neo up. Sim So how did that conversation go?
Speaker 2: Surprisingly? Uh, she was a fan of my music. She's a fan of We actually met through her husband, you know, may Rest, and he was telling me that she was a fan of the music, and I was like, yo, I'm a huge Celendian fan. I love to write with her. One day, mind you this this conversation happens. And then a month later, you know, I get a call out of nowhere and it's heard right, and she tells me she's a fan of the music and tells me that she wants to work together. We get in this wrote we did the song, but actually she wanted me to write her a song. Initially, okay, because I've written her songs in it week. There's one that we did together, which was the whole other mind blowing situation. So she said, I love what you do. I'd love for you to write me some songs. I did two songs for her on the Oh Man, I gotta find a name. I gotta find a name of that album, not the last one she put out. It's like like two albums back in the two songs for on that album. And we just kind of kept in contact. Like she's really really cool people right, like like she's she's silly, like she was doing ever especially impersonations, like she's she's really really cool. So I remember the following album cycle, she was like, we have to do a song together. And I'm like why, Like, if you have Seline Dion's voice, what the hell do you need neo voice for it? Right? And she's like, no, no, no, no, no, we're doing the song together. You write it, you let me know what it's done. I'll fly you guys out and we make it happen. And sure enough, so I wrote the song. We recorded it at the recording studio that is at the Poems in Las Vegas, right, you know, because she was doing her residence here, and yeah, man, the rest is history. One of one of the most genuine people that I've ever met. Like, you know, you meet artists, and you know, some people give you who they really are. Some people give you their representatives. Some people give you who they think that you expect to see. She walked in as her and you know, unapologetically her, like you know, hair and a messy bun, like we hear the work. Hey, it's nice to meet you. I'm Selene. Let's let's rock like and I respect that.
Speaker 4: You wrote when you wrote Unfaithful for Rihanna. Every time I walk out the door. I see him die a little more inside. I don't want to hurt him anymore. I don't want to take away his life. I don't want to be a murderer. How do you come up with that hook?
Speaker 2: That is a story. A lot of a lot of my a lot of my songs come from actual experiences. And you know, if it's not an you will make a cute couple.
Speaker 1: Y'all all right about y'all be killing y'all, be killing y'all.
Speaker 2: Tailor one on me. I'm toxic. I mess, I mess all that. A few tailors all love no, But I write. I write from experience. Man, It's it's not always my personal experience. Like, for example, Irreplaceable was the story about one of my aunts. I grew up in the house with five aunts, and that one particular aunt that just always had a new boyfriend. So that's that story came from. That song came from that story. Unfaithful came from a story that my sister was telling me about a dude that she was dating back in the day. You know, she she might get mad at me for telling this story, but it is I mean, she she was. It was one of those situations won't know which one you're talking about. I do, but she'll know. And I'm gonna get home and catch some catch a couple of these, A couple body.
Speaker 1: Nah.
Speaker 2: But she was she was dealing. She was dealing with this dude and it was that whole situation. And he's just he's just too nice. He's so nice, Like I literally just walk over his back, he's so nice. So because he was so nice, she started dealing with somebody else and it got to the point where like everybody knew. Everybody knew, and it's like, okay, okay, she's she's she's doing what she's doing. The whole family knows, her friends know, his friends know. The only person that's acting like they don't know it's him, and it's like, what do you do? So so that's so, that's what the old thing came back because she felt terrible about it, but at the same time, it's like.
Speaker 1: Not enough to stop doing it though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 1: That's what it was.
Speaker 2: Thank you who almost said her name. She was mad, you'd be all right, you're.
Speaker 1: Right, said that breakups are great for writing songs. Is that how you feel?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yes, definitely, So I don't know what it is about heartbreak or turmoil or drama or animosity or sadness. But for whatever reason, when you when you put yourself there and you write anything, it's gonna be deep, it's gonna be meaningful, it's gonna have depth, it's gonna have emotion. And those are the those are some of the key ingredients to a song that you just can't stop singing.
Speaker 4: So in other word, just because you know, because everybody automatically thinks, but when you write a song, you're talking about a personal experience, like us your confession.
Speaker 1: Everybody said he talking about chili.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you're saying that, hey, you know, it might be on It might be a sister, it might be a homeboy that was.
Speaker 2: Going through Always me, no, not always, because my my story and what's going on with me. You know, I'm a I'm gonna I'm gonna dabble into it a little bit, but for the most part, I'm a I'm I've learned that it's certain aspects of me that I would like to keep for me, right, you know, because the world, uh, it ain't a person walking face of the planet that has the right to judge anybody, right they don't stop them, you know. And and you know, I got kids. I don't want my kids to to to get into all that and see all of that, you know. But other than that, yeah, I write from I write from just things that I've always found that if I write from something that really happened, the song just comes out better. I can make it up all day, but those songs just don't have the same you know what I mean, Like it's it's that thing, right, it's that thing like, no, this really happened. I really had to you know, I really couldn't turn the radio off. I really had the answer machine with hey, we can't come to the phone right now. You know, we use kids. The hell we was doing right, But like the fine details that that you are, that you can put into it when it's something that you really experience, like that's the like that's the weapon X that turns it into that hit song.
Speaker 4: Because you're in this place, it's on your mind. You can't seem to escape it. Uh, the mind can't relate, can't race what the heart can't delete, and so you're writing. So that puts you in a space that man, I might as well, you know, turn this heartbreak into something. Yeah, something good can come out of every bad situation.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 1: We don't see it at the time, but you says, okay, this happened then any way I wanted to I'm putting pen to paper. Yep.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. It is the ultimate gift from God because you know, everybody goes through hurt and heartache and pain. Not everybody gets the outlet that music is right, you know, I don't have to. I don't have to pack it down and eventually blow up for something stupid. Now, as soon as I feel it, as soon as my chest get heavy, I can sit and write it. After I'm done writing, I'm good because it ain't in me no more. It's here now, you know, And I'm gonna get that to the world and like minded people are gonna listen to it and be like, yeah, I understand that I've been there before. I felt that before, and that's how we get to where I am.
Speaker 1: Now. Do you think any of the women like songs that you wrote like that, you know what? Wrote this about me? I know what.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've been that. Some of them have reached out and asked, is.
Speaker 1: That about me?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, I ain't talking about you.
Speaker 2: It's about you. That don't mean you don't mean you get no money for Dan Will. It's about you. Come on, I said, I put the date in the song. You know it's about you. However, enjoyed from from Johanna Civic. We did.
Speaker 4: We see a lot of you got an extensive catalog. We see a lot of people selling off their catalog. Is that something that you're interested in?
Speaker 2: If for the right price, yeah, yeah, for the right price, I definitely do that, just because I know that I'm not done, Like I haven't written my greatest song.
Speaker 4: Right, So if you sell your catalog, that means you start the process of another or then every does everything that you right go into that catalog.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, you start the process. You start another one, Okay, start over, which I have again I have no problem with because I I have yet to write my most amazing record. And as things happen in my life, you know, as time progresses, different things happen. I just got more and more ammo for for this gun.
Speaker 1: So yeah, do you like writing more or do you like performing more?
Speaker 2: As of late, writing more? I love to perform. I love to get out there and you know, do that home you perform I am absolutely.
Speaker 4: So that because you have singers, you have performers. You have and you can do both, but you really like performing.
Speaker 2: Performing is my thing. I can stand still and sing a song, but I ain't gonna have no fun. If I don't have no fun, you probably gonna have no fun either. So now we're gonna jump around, We're gonna work the whole stage. This is this is who I am.
Speaker 1: Yes, where are you on social media? Uh?
Speaker 2: What are my social media handles?
Speaker 1: Hold on?
Speaker 2: The IG is at neo h the Twitter is at Neo Compound.
Speaker 1: Respond Do you respond to comments?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, so, I mean I don't. I don't read comments as much anymore because, for whatever reason, you read them comments and all of a sudden you start to like, let those opinions mean something, when the reality is opinions are not special because literally everybody got one, right, So I don't. I don't readcomments as much as I used to. But should you receive a DM from from me and you see the yellow yellow, you see the blue dot, you know that that's really me.
Speaker 1: It's really me.
Speaker 2: I'm really responding.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, yeah, let's get it.
Speaker 4: I want to get through your upbring before I get you out of here. Born in Arkansas. Yes, how old were you when you left Arkansas and went to Vegas?
Speaker 2: Roughly eight nine years old somewhere in there. And we got to Vegas and stayed in Vegas and went to high school in Las Vegas, the whole nine, right, that was weird, definitely, just it wasn't weird as it was happening. It's weird as I look back and like know how other people's high school situation went. You know, you go through high school with that click of friends all the way up and you'll graduate together and all that I don't happen in Vegas because everybody's coming in to do what they're gonna do for about a year. It's tours sound, it's military base, you know what I'm saying. They in and out. So every school year you start with brand new people teaching you how to be a people person. Not to mention, there's a strip every day and where you meet Susan and her nine friends from Minnesota and they and and yeah, so.
Speaker 1: That so that so that's the best. That's one of the best parts about Vegas hunts.
Speaker 2: You meet a lot of people. You meet a lot of different people from all walks of life. Everybody find a way to Vegas at some point. Yeah, to a.
Speaker 1: Degree, to a degree, fifty degree, seventy five degree.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm I'll say this, as as my age progresses, my patience gets shorter, you know what I mean, Like energy becomes real, real important as you as as time progresses. And now I'm real picky and choosy about what I choose to give energy to and who.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, did grow up with growing up in Vegas make you want to do show? Make you want to get on stage?
Speaker 2: Or absolutely?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Man, that was that was you know you you hit the strip as as a teenager and you see the limos pull up and you see the celebrity get out, and you know, if you get a chance to get into any of these Vegas shows, and you just it's an experience, bro, Especially as a kid, you're looking at that like, oh man.
Speaker 1: That would be me.
Speaker 2: That's that's what I want to do right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so your parents they weren't together, but so so did it have an impact that your dad wasn't around? And you said, you talked about your mom, you talked about the women in your life, your aunts, and you wrote songs, and you had seemed like in your sisters and your mom and your aunts, so you had very strong women around you.
Speaker 2: Definitely, so definitely so had uncles that that you know that were there, but you know they show up eating leave. But no, it was primarily my mother, my grandmother, five aunts, my sister, and me. And I never really, I never really felt like I was missing anything from not having a dad until you know, I got of a certain age and I'm in school and my friends are talking about their dads and they're doing with their dads, and I'm like, wait a minute, I ain't. I ain't never did that. But then it becomes a thing.
Speaker 1: Did you play sports?
Speaker 2: Uh? Not really a little bit, but I never really took a seat I would. I was more of an artistic kid than an athletic kid. I could do it, but if I had to chew, if I had the option, I was somewhere writing a song.
Speaker 1: How did being raised by women impact your songwriting?
Speaker 2: It helped me escape the potential of the whole toxic masculinity thing that that everybody so up in a uproar about today. I feel like toxic masculinity is the opposite of a person that is in touch with and not afraid of emotion. Like I've heard people say, how do you write from the mind of a woman so well, and it's like, I'm not writing from the mind of a woman. I'm writing from the mind of a person that's not afraid of emotion. You're giving these emotions for a reason, okay, that they're supposed to help you throughout life. You're not supposed to ignore them. You know the whole boys don't cry. That's not a thing. It's not a thing at all. Like, that's that's how you That's how you breed that toxic male. You know, I gotta address every situation with aggress and that's how.
Speaker 1: You breed that.
Speaker 2: My mom didn't raise me like that. She said, if it's smile, if it feels good, smile and if for hers cry, and never be ashamed of either one because you're giving them for a reason the tools.
Speaker 4: Do You feel like man suppressed a lot of their true feelings of motion and they can't properly be who they truly are.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely, I feel like especially nowadays, where you know, all vulnerability is viewed as weakness, and any man showing any is ridiculed or whatever or something like that. Yeah, yeah, you get caught, and it's like I've just never I've just never bought into that. You know what I'm saying. I've been bullied before. I understand what that is. You know, nine times out of ten, the cat bullying you is getting bullied, as Daddy would' his ass. Something's happening to him. It's not just he ain't just wake up and decide to mess with you. He messed with you cause somebody messing with him. I get that, I understand what that is. I just really feel like the way that the way that my mom brought me up, don't even she didn't bring me up, is chump you know what I'm saying. She definitely taught me how to try to fend for self and defend myself. But at the same time, she taught me that every situation is not called for aggression, right you know, you set up and argue with a fool. To the people watching, they don't know who the fool is, right y'all both y'all both look like fools right now, And that and that was that was me growing up. I wasn't a cat that was so eager to jump into a fight. You know what I'm saying. Nine times out of ten, I'm talking so fast. You don't want to fight no more. That's why that's who I was.
Speaker 1: I read your favorite sport is boxing.
Speaker 2: You're still absolutely absolutely congrats Tank did that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, so growing up in Vegas, the Mike Capitol World, I don't know how many fights Tyson that you saw, may Weather that you saw.
Speaker 1: What is it about the fight game that makes you such a fan?
Speaker 2: I love the strategy, there's some there's some fighters that I that I'm more of a fan of than others. You know, you got you, you got your slugg as you catch gonna go out there and swing as hard as they can till somebody fall down. That's what Floyd has always been a favorite of mine because he's strategic. Floyd's game is not hitting you. Floyd's game is making you miss, which is just even more embarrassing. Like that's that's the mind games that Floyd's plays. I'm gonna let you. I'm gonna let you swing for the fences and you're gonna hit me none, You're not gonna touch me. Love. I've always loved just the cleverness of something that's supposed to be so brutal, but you literally got to use your mind if you're gonna be good at it, if you're gonna be successful at it. This brutal blood sport where you feel like it's just two men going in there beating the hell out of each other for the hell of it. Now, this is a strategic game, you know what I mean. And it's just I've always been a fan of that, that contrast. It's like, this is what you expect, but in actuality, it's really this, you know, I've always been a fan of that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get you out to hear your last two questions.
Speaker 4: Do you feel as an entertainer that you need more than one revenue stream because you entertain you sing?
Speaker 1: You right?
Speaker 2: Absolutely so. We already discussed the fact that songwriters just a songwriters. If you're not making billions and billions and billions of streams, you can't even live off your livelihood, you know what I mean. You'll have a hit song on the radio and be broke. This is a real thing, Like that'll make no sense. There's no other medium that that happens in. You can't have the number one blockbuster movie in America and live in an apartment. That's not happening. Now, they don't page you well for that music, not so much. That's just what happens. So yes, as an artist, as a as a songwriter, it is an your best interest to have multiple streams of revenue. You know, if you are a person with a personality, use that, you know, don't rely on just one aspect of entertainment. If you are a person that understands what entertainment is and your entertainment value, I.
Speaker 1: See you throw it in your hat and the acting ring. So fifty cent bl yes, yes, a few episodes.
Speaker 2: I met I met fifty a while ago. You know what I'm saying. We did did the joint together, you know, so we always kind of kept in contact. He he basically told me that he was he was gonna figure out a way for us to work because he saw that I was, you know that I was interested in doing the acting thing. So he's like, we're gonnaigure out, We're gonna find a way to find a way to make it work. He threw me a couple auditions, and mind you, that's that's one thing that I really loved about him is that he wasn't just gonna give me something, right, you know? He's like, yo, you know this is this is an opportunity. You get in there, you do the audition. If you get it, you get it. If you don't, you don't, And like, I respect that, you know. So same thing with this BMF situation that that's going on now. He said, I think I found something that that's gonna make sense, you know, or at least I would like to see you in his row. So he pressed me with the BMF thing. I'm I think, I don't you know what. Let me not even give it away. Yeah, I'm on BMF for a few episodes. Yeah yeah, i'mnna leave it.
Speaker 4: At that, but I gotta get some player to him this. You once found one of your artists asleep. Now I'm assuming you got a nice five house, probably be more than one bedroom, I'm assuming.
Speaker 1: I mean that's Barry. I mean it's very consumption.
Speaker 2: With no man.
Speaker 1: Thinking that Neil's got a nice house. He has more than been So why what made him think it would be okay? Was he explain it? Explain it?
Speaker 2: Okay? Shout out to my man, Lucky Day, I love love you today, Unlucky that day. I didn't bring you back up him. I didn't bring it up. But we're here, all right. Lucky Day is an R and B artist, extraordinary, one of Grammy last year. Like, dude is doing this thing. I love that he's doing his thing. Before Lucky Day got his shot, h there was a time, a point in time where I was going to sign him. Okay, right, so you know we're writing songs together, your artist.
Speaker 1: At the time you were thinking about signing.
Speaker 2: Were we were going to sign Yeah, okay, but we writing songs together. For example, Jamie Fox's verse on Uh yeah, he wrote that, Okay, he wrote that. So so basically I'm about to go on the road. I gave him access to my house. I'm like, listen, you can post up here. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Do what you do.
Speaker 2: One room, one rule, don't go in my room.
Speaker 4: So you so crystal clear, you made it a bundantly clear. You have access to the hot house tomorrow my room.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, so I got it, go on the road. You know what I'm saying. Chat went the cat back and forth. I am I ain't can destroying the house, all right?
Speaker 1: Cool? Cool?
Speaker 2: So I get home that morning I go into my room and old boys asleep in my bed with a young lady. I'm like, alrighty, so yeah, I took it up on myself to wake him up and like, come on, break, you gotta go. Hold you ain't working up with the right left no no, no, no walking as on two pieces. I'm in bro, I'm saying, I just I pull like it was like, hey, I gave breakf bed, you gotta go.
Speaker 1: Ain't you're gonna be sleeping?
Speaker 4: I don't told you have access to eat all the food and the kitchen, the refrigerator.
Speaker 1: You go to. I got five bedroo crib and you can break your answer.
Speaker 4: I know your mom fail every situation that the call war aggression, get really aggressive with him.
Speaker 2: You know what is is. I can't even fop him, and it is what it is. But we've spoken since then. You know what I'm saying, It's it's all love. You know, it ain't no beef, rantomosity whatsoever. You know, I'm more than happy for old boy and what and what is what he's doing in his crazy you know what.
Speaker 1: I kind of empathized with it because I don't know I'm bout there to hit it. You you are fair. I'm like, let me show you.
Speaker 2: Know that exactly how it went. I don't mind. Nice, I don't mind. I don't mind. I let my friends use the nil. They can use it as cool.
Speaker 4: Last question, World d Ash your coach star, Yes, how how did that impact you hearing that news?
Speaker 1: But did you know he was going through something?
Speaker 2: That that I had no idea that he was going through anything. And and and you know, just from the circle of friends that I knew that knew him, they had no idea that he was going through anything. I've always looked at that with a side eye. I ain't making no accusations or nothing like that, but just the twitch that I knew he would, that man was in love with his children, that man was in love with his wife, that man was in love with life. But I can't I can't say I knew what he was going through. And you never know what somebody's going through in the dark. You have no idea. But the twitch that I knew, the twitch that was represented to me was not somebody that would have that would have did that. So I've always I've always felt a way about that. You know what I'm saying, he was he was brother was was a light, you know what I mean, Like you like you meet people and it's like it's just a bright dude, it's just just good energy. I'm going off of this dude. And that's what he was. That's we all every time I saw him, that's what he was. So I don't know that that story just had never added up to me personally, but it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you. Thanks for your time all stopping by the club. Indeed all the best moving forward.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sir. Thank you for having me sweating in and drinking.
Speaker 3: All my life, grinding all my life, sacrifice, hustle, pair the price, wanta slice, got to brow the dice, swap all my life.
Speaker 2: I've been grinding all my life, all my life, grinding all.
Speaker 3: My life, sacrifice, hustle, pay the price, and want to slice.
Speaker 2: Got to brow the dice, the swap all my life. I've been grinding all my life.