Speaker 1: What has happened?
Speaker 2: Everybody, and welcome into a Friday edition of Texans All Access from Monday Texans Radio Studio. I'm your host, John Harris, football analyst, sideline reporter for your Houston Texans, and it is a bye week.
Speaker 1: It has been quiet. It has been well.
Speaker 2: I mean on Thursday and Friday, our business ops gets the day's off and a bye week, so it's been really really quiet. No players, no coaches, a few people rehabbing. Maybe that hardly any if any business ops people in a building. But we still got radio to do, and so we will do it for you. I will take you up until eight o'clock and then Mark's got.
Speaker 1: An extra special edition.
Speaker 2: Of Texans All Access as he has every Friday night from eight to nine, So we got you for the next three hours.
Speaker 1: Now a bye week, they're in.
Speaker 2: A whole lot going on, so we'd like to look back at some of the great interviews that we've had. Maybe you missed it the first time, so so be fresh to you. And it's eight height end. First segment. This is great stuff because we're gonna hear from a player and a coach. We're gonna hear from Kate Stover player rookie. Great interview. Then we're gonna hear from his coach, Jake Morland, coach in a tremendous interview. Both of them are Great's a great way to start off the show. So let's start right here with Kate Stover on with me and Mark.
Speaker 3: Kate.
Speaker 2: I don't want to use the word tougher because it makes it sound like it's a negative, But in your first year in the NFL, what's been a bigger challenge the mental part of it or the physical part of it?
Speaker 4: Early on, I feel like mental was definitely a part of it.
Speaker 5: Just moves faster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everything just moves faster, and people move faster, and I mean each game just keep getting more comfortable and more comfortable and more opportunity to do something. And then things just really start to slow down. And I'm starting to start feel like his a game start to slot for me.
Speaker 6: But what about the mental part of it?
Speaker 7: I mean, you're out there doing a lot of work, a lot of different things, the blocking element, pass receiving, you have to know everything the whole offense.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I mean I.
Speaker 4: Kind of look at that like a kind of a compliment. Balance with you that they're asking a rookie to be able to go and move, and I do a lot of moving. I'm always moving here, in motion here and moving here, and I like doing it. I enjoy playing that way. It just takes a lot, I mean takes a lot during the week to really get yourself prepared to play fast on Sunday.
Speaker 2: In a tight end room, you lose Brevin. You guys have pretty tight tight end room. What's that room like this?
Speaker 4: No doubt it's really good, even I mean really obviously really sad losing Brevin. He was really instrumental to me during camp and stuff. Just him and Dalton both just really really good dudes, and honestly they could have not been good dudes to me obviously, yep. So just have them do that and have Teaking back now. I mean I didn't really know Teaking that well during camp, but now since he's been back, like I would say, I'm pretty close and good friends with that kid. So it's just really good to have such good people in the group and everybody's happy for each other.
Speaker 7: I'm sure we discussed this, but Jake Morland, your tight Ends coach, was an original Texan, so you can ask him to tell you the story being in this building before the team ever played a game.
Speaker 6: So that's interesting stuff right there.
Speaker 7: But talk to us a little bit about the offense because you mentioned during the week it's a.
Speaker 6: Lot of work.
Speaker 7: Do you bring the playbuck home and you go over all this stuff, because, like you said, you're out there moving a lot and it's noticeable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's a lot. But then again, I mean, this is your job, no, right, I mean I guess in the lesser terms, I mean I watched my pops get up and go to work every day. He's from five o'clock till eight o'clock at night. Like, right, if all I gotta do is go and study a play for studying my place for a couple hours.
Speaker 5: And now I'm pretty sure I got it pretty good.
Speaker 4: You don't have class, No class, I mean that's your job now, Like there's no pay for due. I don't got it right. You don't have study hours or anything like that. So this is I mean, I just kind of take that time and put it towards that.
Speaker 2: Now, as a famous Buckey once said, you don't have to play school anymore, so you don't have to worry about that from from that standpoint, primetime games now gooper Ohio State. You got them at all kinds at all times throughout the day, eleven, two thirty and at night. Right, But just being in primetime games is something that we haven't seen around here for a few years. What's kind of that nighttime element? Like for you guys, is add a little bit more juice to it? Is it that much more exciting? Is that much more exciting to play the night game here like we did against Chicago?
Speaker 1: What's that kind of nighttime experience?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 8: Fair?
Speaker 4: The hardest part of a nighttime game is waiting around all day. Yeah, that's awful, I mean to me, that's why, like a lot of players, you don't like playing at night because you to sit there all day long just to play right. And the hardest part about that you got to keep yourself. You gotta keep yourself calm, right. You can't wake up and be ready to rock, because if you do, then you have to burn yourself out before, right, Like there were times in college where early on I would do that and you're like, I don't got no legs, Like why are my legs on it? It's because you're constantly like you're just thinking you're moving like you just you got to relax. And that's I mean, one of the harder parts for me is just growing up and just relaxing and being like, dude, it's coming.
Speaker 9: Just relax.
Speaker 1: You got to keep the adrenaline kind of low, right.
Speaker 4: You can't, I mean, because you can only handle so much during out the day, you know what I mean. Like, I didn't be able to go out there through warm ups and long warm up and then low low simmer all day and keep letting her build, let her build, and then if you do it right, you're feeling damn good.
Speaker 5: Eight o'clock kids.
Speaker 6: Over with us.
Speaker 7: When you were in college, what were some of the louder environments you played in? Obviously at home it was loud, but as an offense, you got to deal with all the communication and everything, so and.
Speaker 6: Here you've dealt with it.
Speaker 7: Green Bay, Minnesota, obviously the Jet game, but I would think Minnesota was probably number one, right as far as.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was just yeah Minnesota, and it's the one game I try and forget about.
Speaker 5: For the rest of my life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I would say that was my here you go, wake up, big fella. So that was good for me to grow up in that aspect of that game. But as far as noise wise, loud of state, I've ever been in this Penn State and it's really close.
Speaker 7: Okay, Yeah, I mean Mark knows. Yeah, I used to work there a long time ago. But your boys got it done this weekend.
Speaker 3: They did, They got it done.
Speaker 4: I just remember, like I mean, obviously anybody's played their juice can tell you, like I mean that that's a rattle to like the core. Yeah, that wow, the noise of that, especially with if they if they get some life early on, they always have life e other on playing us, we don't really come.
Speaker 2: Back that life gets extinguished very quickly against the Buckeyes lately.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Would I know you don't want to you know, the Minnesota game, it was a tough one and it's probably one that you know, you play a ten twelve year career, you'll probably look back on that.
Speaker 6: Would that would taught me some lessons?
Speaker 2: So I know it's it's one that you probably will never want to forget in a sense because it'll probably continue to drive you at some point, which you already know. But did you have and have you had kind of a welcome to the NFL moment at any point.
Speaker 5: That was it, that was it considered.
Speaker 4: That whole game was kind of like because up to that point we played two games and like I was kind of sparingly used obviously, like playing the fullback spot.
Speaker 5: I've not played on the line yet in a full NFL.
Speaker 7: Game, right, in a full game. Yeah, but you had some big moments. You had the fourth down against Chicago what I.
Speaker 4: Mean, But like that was just from the backfield, a little flat, like just sprinkle them in, get them used to, like you know what I mean, and Breven goes down. Yeah, and then they moved me to the why and like the first two snaps of the game was a one on one pass block with that and I'm normally I mean normally like in college, I was always all right, you know what i mean, But then like it just was different. It's just I mean, obviously, like even to this point, every day, like there's not there's certain things in your life to stick with you and hang with you forever, but hurt. But I tell you what, like that's also something that's never gonna happen again.
Speaker 7: It's so different, huh from practice because practice you're getting the look team. You're not blowing the guy up in the same way obviously as you're gonna be the game, he's not. He's not gonna have what he's gonna have against you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and even more like I I it's hard to describe, but like when you're really like that was my first game being in there, our first snapping game, right right, and I've never been in that like that to me was a really big Like whether it's a start, I don't know what you consider it, but like I was the first guy out there with the first team offense, right, that's my NFL career, And I was like that was big to me, know what I mean. I'm proud up and you can forget and then you're like, god darn it, he came a little kid again.
Speaker 5: Just felt like I was six years old again that yeah.
Speaker 2: But I mean, like you said, look, those things happen, but you have lined up at fullback, you've lined up at eh, you lined up at why, You've moved around, and it feels like just watching kid, you've gotten really kind of comfortable to split blocking where you're coming across. I thought against Green Bay, I thought we were gonna pop that one at second and twelve. You came across and took out Preston Smith, and I thought that was going to be there.
Speaker 1: But that part of your.
Speaker 2: Game really seemingly has been very very good kind of blocking on the move. Do you feel kind of more comfortable? Have you gotten more comfortable doing that as you've gotten here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I like doing it. I do. I enjoy moving around.
Speaker 4: I enjoy being put in spots where I got a little momentum with me, know, I mean, you got a little you got, you got some momentum. I guess the best thing for that, especially when you're blocking dudes like that. I mean, some of those dudes are and college guys are big, obviously, but some of these dudes are gigantic, right, But I still like, I like my odds when I'm moving, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: So in high school, Kate Stiver with US, you played a lot of defense. You originally were a linebacker at Ohio State, Right, that's.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: What do you miss about that side of the football versus playing offense.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm still trying to figure this out to I feel like, when you're playing defense, you can one hundred percent. Set the tone all the time, and if you don't make the play on defense, that's your fault, right, you got blocked right for the ball. I mean, if somebody's running the ball and I'm playing middle backer and if I'm not making a play, that's on me. It's not damn, they're not scheming me, you know what I mean. On offense, a lot of this has to come down to a lot of different parts as far as okay, like.
Speaker 5: Am I even in the progression on this route?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 5: Other?
Speaker 4: Thanks you you can. I feel like on defense you can take the game over a lot faster. And that's what I miss the most is being able to sit back there in essence just headhunt, you know what I.
Speaker 7: Mean, Right, you need to know where to go. But on offense, correct me if I'm wrong. You've got to sell things and have.
Speaker 3: A little more.
Speaker 4: There's so much more finesse of right, and you try like you try, and honestly, that's something you try to balance, right, because you got to balance round off the ball and being the being trying to be then fourster on offense, you know what I mean, and being the guy that, hey, I'm going to stick here, Like, that's what the reputation you want, you, I mean, that's a reputation I want, right, And this dude's coming. He's cross cutting the back line like he's going to stick you.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: He's blocking on outside, so he's going to stick you right. On defense, it's the same thing, except when you get there and you arrive, it's a lot easier to get excited making a one yard stop as opposed to making a block for a five yard game. It's in essence, it's kind of similar, but it's just even it's so hard and like even in college trying to get the offensive line to buy in the hey, like we got to be just excited making that five yard block as they are making a one yard game.
Speaker 7: All right, So along those lines, in a way, you're the all time leading scorer in basketball.
Speaker 6: For your high school. Right, that's where I was going with I.
Speaker 7: I once heard Doug Flutie, famous Heisman Trophy winning football players, saying, I love playing basketball because it's just pure making plays all day long.
Speaker 6: Right, how did you enjoy that versus football?
Speaker 5: I love?
Speaker 4: I mean, this is gonna sound awful. Basketball is near and dear to my heart. Okay, I love it, right, just because of the fact that it also goes back to the aspect you can take over a basketball game mm hm. And if you've got guys that trust you and believe in you and just do their job and play defense, you can take over that basketball game and you can ride right. And it's also it also has to do with it's just so smooth, and I think the best athletes play basketball because you got to have I mean, you got to have so much touch and finesse but also such a crazy amount of power and IQ to play basketball.
Speaker 2: And CJ was really good too. Well, that's what I was going to ask you. Do you guys ever play one on one because we have heard we have heard that CJ. Stroud's a really good basketball player video.
Speaker 5: Video gat he's a great basketball player.
Speaker 2: So if you guys ever got one on one or do you guys always have to be on the same like five pickup team.
Speaker 3: I can tell you. So we had we had.
Speaker 4: Like a three quarter half court inside our facilitio hostile boys.
Speaker 5: Right like hardwood floor, nice like.
Speaker 4: It was awesome, right, Okay, And that was honestly some of my best college memories. Yeah, being in there with twenty thirty dudes, and you got teams of four right and you're playing and you're just picking up on your plane. It was some of the best basketball I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 5: And if there was a.
Speaker 6: Camera on the wall, would have been good stuff.
Speaker 3: It would have been.
Speaker 4: Everybody had been like Holy moly, because I mean it's just a bunch of competitors. I mean, it doesn't matter what it is. I mean, everybody like it's going on.
Speaker 5: It's not like your.
Speaker 4: Typical I mean it's like, yeah, everybody's playing defense. Everybody like there's no easy dunks, like everybody's contesting everything.
Speaker 5: It's it was a blast.
Speaker 2: You always had to be you always had to look out for because we used to have those two. We always had like a wrestler or two that played the football team and then they would get onto court.
Speaker 1: You always look out for that guy.
Speaker 3: We had them.
Speaker 4: That actually was obviously we've had a couple of rolled angles, right yeah, right angles, right Yeah. Everybody tries to play it off like, oh man, I can't got on my car step on side, you know.
Speaker 5: What I mean.
Speaker 3: And at one point, uh.
Speaker 4: I can't remember what year it was, but there was the basketball hoop was like they chained the rim all those guys like a two offseason guy forgetting Yeah, three guys with ankles brains yeah, saying like yeah, I was riding the line scooter.
Speaker 1: We know what happened.
Speaker 6: Okay, thanks a lot for joining us, sppreciate you guys.
Speaker 5: Thanks love.
Speaker 2: And the man that is leading him in that tight end room is Jake Morland. Played in the league this We've had such great interviews with Jake over the years and this was just another one. And I figured my theme being tight ends. In the first segment, let's get tight end Kate Stover and tight end coach Jake Moreland right here and.
Speaker 6: Mark joining us now at studio.
Speaker 7: It's Texans tight ends coach and original Texan and former Western Michigan bronco Jake Morland in the house. How's it going, coach, Well, it's always great to visit with you, and let's talk about your group a little bit here. Things always evolve and change in this league. And I want to start here because we had Cad Stover in here two three weeks ago or something. We're talking to him about playing some full back. Now he plays tight end, but he's got to play some full back. So how does all that work when you're coaching up a rookie, especially in some key moments. He's out there and he might not be catching the ball or whatever, but those blocks are important.
Speaker 9: Coach.
Speaker 10: Yeah, for sure, you know Kay's doing a great job. I think the whole room is really doing a great job. But I think it's a testament to them as a room, and it's a way that I guess I teach Okay, anybody who's in the tight end's room, they know that at any moment, they could be a wide receiver, they could be a fullback, they could be a regular why tight end, you know, like people are accustomed to seeing. And unfortunately, I've actually been in some circumstances where the why tight end has had to go in as a tackle because we had so many injuries on the offensive line during a game that we're the only ones that knew what was happening, and we had to have that happen. So it's a very fun and exciting place to be in this offense because you're asked do a lot of things. And going back to your original question, what Kate has been able to do with putting together playing the why tight end and also being in the in the backfield as a fullback has been really really great coach?
Speaker 2: Does that make it more I don't know if exciting is the right word, but more exciting for you in a sense that you got to know all the different protections as you know a pass blocker. You got to know all the different protections and blocking schemes for the run.
Speaker 1: You got to know all the different routes.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like you got your hand in everything at the buffet in a sense?
Speaker 1: Does that make it more fun to coach? The position?
Speaker 3: That's exactly right?
Speaker 10: And that's actually exactly what I tell these guys, and I have to remind them sometimes that, you know, in my opinion, we should be the second most informed person on the field behind the quarterback, because like you said, we have to know the run game, the pass game, the pass protection game, and all of the above right, all the routes that go along with it. So because we have all of these things on our plate, our plate is full. But that's how we like it, you know, And so we cross train everybody because if kid breaks a shoelace and slow wants to call another formation with a tight end in the backfield. Well, somebody's got to go fill that role. So everybody gets cross trained if you're in the room, and I don't care, it's everybody from Troy Harriston all the way to Teague in Quatoriano, and everybody's getting cross trained in the backfield on the line as a why and so on and so forth.
Speaker 2: Dalton seems like a pretty chill, kind of quiet guy when you see him, but one were his emotions like going back. I saw him after the game and I was like that one had to feel good. He's Dowin felt good. How is that kind of managing that.
Speaker 1: Through the week for Dalton?
Speaker 3: Coach? Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 10: You know, he's a pro, right, He's been in the league for a long time, so he knows how to manage himself and things like that. And so I tried not to guess him up too much because I knew that he was already going to be feeling that, you know, individually. But he definitely had a different look in his eye, I will say that, and so I just kind of left it at that and just try to keep him encouraged and pump him up and encourage him to keep on doing what he's doing because he's playing really good football. You know, he hasn't been targeted, maybe as much as he would like, But the fact of the matter is that when he is targeted, he is doing what he needs to do, and he's doing a great job in the run game, and he knows that when we ask him to do something, he's going to be there for and be able to deliver.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Jake Morland coaches ends for the Texans. The point you just brought up, you'd love to be targeted all the time. Every player who is capable of catching a pass wants to catch all the passes. But you mentioned all the dirty work that you have to do that's utterly important. Is there a sense that or do you have to remind everybody that, hey, this is seen by all the important people in your career, right the other teams, this team, whether you end up another place or not. As you're coaching guys in training camp and whatnot, do you need to remind them of that sometimes one hundred percent?
Speaker 10: I mean, I mean, of course, guys, you know, especially on this level, everybody, Hey guy, I'm open on every play. You're not open on every play, even though you think you're open on every play. I get it, but that's how competitive these guys are, right, So in order to keep on keep on fueling that competitive drive, you want to let them know that when you get your opportunity, you have to maximize it, and you never know when that opportunity is going to come. It's like, you know, you play seventy plays in a game, and there's probably five or six of those plays that are really going to determine the outcome. The problem is you don't know when those plays are going to show up. So if you're not able to perform on every single play that you're in, then you might miss your opportunity. And that's the thing that we talk about the most in our room is the progress is part of the process, right and as we continue to progress through the season, are we able to sustain everything that we need to do play in and play out? So because you never know when that one play is going to be the turning point in.
Speaker 2: The game, coach almost feel like there should be some delineation at some point between using the word rookie and using the year first year guy, because I feel like they're no longer rookies because they've been playing a lot. What have you seen from Caid since he matured from a rookie to a first year player. He's lined up almost everywhere. He's done a little bit of everything, including being one of the Special teams players of the week. What has he done as a rookie for you guys, and what kind of growth have you seen in Kate?
Speaker 10: Well, I think it starts with his approach the guy. He showed up in a professional kind of a manner, you know what I mean. Sometimes you have to kind of, let's say, coach guys into say hey, this is how we perform, this is how we study, these are the things that we have to do. And Caid was pro as soon as he walked through the doors, right. So his mental ability to grasp the offense has been fantastic. That's why we're able to move him around and do the things that we're able to do. His physical presence has allowed him to also not only be in the offense, but also become a real live player for us in special teams.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 10: And so when you're a tight end, especially in this level, you have to be able to perform both in special teams and on the offense.
Speaker 3: For whatever that looks.
Speaker 10: Like for that particular week, and I think he's just really embraced his role. Whatever we ask him to do, he's going to do it to the best of his ability. And he's very coachable. He wants to be coached, he wants to be pushed, and he really wants to be the best at what he's doing.
Speaker 2: And I thought he was really open with us. We had him in here, what maybe three four weeks ago, and he actually brought it up. We didn't really want to go there, and he brought He was the one who brought up the Minnesota game, and he talked about the lessons he learned from that Minnesota game that he is then applying going forward.
Speaker 1: Did you see that same thing, coach.
Speaker 2: I mean, that was a tough game for him, a tough time against John Gernard in particular.
Speaker 1: Did you kind of see that same thing from him, because he talked.
Speaker 2: About it very openly about how that was a real learning lesson for him that added kind of to his tool kit as he moved forward, exactly.
Speaker 10: And again I go back to these guys that are in my room. They are pros, and they really have a great approach to the game and they know that there are things even if we lose, okay, quote unquote lose, you lose a play, you lose a game, whatever, that looks like, there's going to be lessons that you can derive from that, and then if you're able to apply it as you move on through the season. I think that's why we are where we are now. We went through some adversity over the last few weeks, not only going all the way back to Minnesota, but as a team, you know, everybody faces injuries. Get that, well, we probably lost a couple of games that most people think that.
Speaker 3: We should have won, including us.
Speaker 10: Okay, fine, well, what can we learn from that and apply now as we continue to move on and we start getting into December, because that's when where we really need to be playing our best ball.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 7: Jake Morland tight ends coach for the Texans. All right, so you played tight end, you played the position you played in the league, and then you started coaching. So when did that or how was that evolution for you? Where the satisfaction is I'm teaching somebody else and I see them do something well and it just lights a fuse for me. It really satisfies me, and I want to pursue this forever.
Speaker 10: It was something that I did not want to do by one hundred percent. Did not want to be a coach. In fact, when I got done playing, I was completely done with football. Didn't want anything to do with football. And then I was asked to come and be part of a staff with one of my quarterback from college, and I said, I'm going to help you out for this fall, and that's it, and then I'm done. And from the first moment that I stepped on the field, I knew that this is what I was supposed to do. It was very hard for me at first to be able to articulate the things that I wanted my players to be able to do. For whatever reason, I had been able to just do things naturally. I couldn't really explain to you why or how. I just knew how things needed to be done. Well, now I need to put it into a real, live English language to be able to articulate to somebody that they understand that they can go and perform. And so that was a very very hard thing for me to do early in my career and as I've gone to different places. The Air Force Academy is the best example because even though those guys are the smartest guys, they're the bravest guys. I mean all of the above. They're made up of all the right stuff, But you have a very small window that you have to get all the information to.
Speaker 3: These guys in.
Speaker 10: And by the way, they're also worried about, you know, aeronautical engineering and protecting our country and all these other things. Football is, you know, down the lists quite a bit for these guys. But it made me a better coach because I needed to be very concise in the information that I was giving them so that they could go out and make it perform. So everywhere that I've been I've been able to learn different things, learn different techniques. And also you got to figure out what pushes the guy's buttons and how do guys learn. Some guys learn through paper, some guys learn through video, some guys learn through walk through and so you have to be able to manipulate all of those things so everybody can be on the same page.
Speaker 1: And as a coach. Now it's now technology.
Speaker 2: How do you you know with the new technology, because back when we were coaching, like you're drawing it up on pads, you know, it was on paper as all you do.
Speaker 1: But I'm telling you that coaching bug hits. Man.
Speaker 2: When it strikes, it's like holy cow, definitely strike.
Speaker 1: Yes, it does strike like a lightning bolt. All right. Coming up next, one.
Speaker 2: Of the more seasoned coaches, if you will, on this staff is the guy that we met for the first time when he walked into our studio, and that's Bill Davis, Linebacker's coach. I mean, you talk about a guy that's been around and he's seen some things. Man, he's absolutely awesome. We had a great time talking to him. Bill Davis's next right here in Texans All Access. Welcome back to Texans All Access. I'm your host, John Harrits, Football Analyst, sideline reporter, and this is my eleventh year of being in this role for the Texans. Absolutely love it. Couldn't think of anything else I'd rather do on a day to day basis. Every single year, as and I remember Bill Brian just talking about this, every single team is a different team. Twenty three, twenty twenty three teams different than twenty twenty four. And yeah, there was a lot of carryover. The's a lot of players back from twenty twenty three, but it's always a new team. And with a new team, every year comes new players, new coaches, rookies, free agents, you know, coaches that are coming to Houston for the first time. And we ran into one of those guys, linebackers coach Bill Davis. And I'll be really honest, when the coach took the job, I'd heard the name, I knew he'd been around, but really wasn't totally completely immersed in his story. And when I found out we're gonna interview him, like, Okay, I'm gonna go check out his background, Like, oh.
Speaker 1: My gosh, yeah, I forgot he was here. Oh man, I can't. Oh yeah he was there too. Oh man.
Speaker 2: He coached this guy, Bill Davis has been around and seen some things. He has done a great job with these linebackers. And when he sat down, we had one hell of a time talking with him about his history being with the Texans, this group of linebackers he's got. This was some really fun stuff with Bill Davis, linebackers coach for your Houston Texans.
Speaker 7: Joining us right now in studio. Bill Davis, linebackers coach for your Texans.
Speaker 1: How's it going, coach, It's going great.
Speaker 11: Just came off the practice field, excited about how the guys are working.
Speaker 2: Coach, when Devin White comes in, whether this really isn't about Devin so much as it is just a new player coming in in the middle of the season. Because you've been around the NFL for a long time, I know the goal is probably, hey, let's get this guy on the field as soon as possible. But how do you kind of go about that process of getting a guy up to speed with something new, like learning this particular defense.
Speaker 9: So there's a lot of things that factor in.
Speaker 11: For instance, a disease came to us, but it had been in San Francisco's Yeah, you know the system before, so the words instantly turned to where he knew exactly what they meant. Devon is not so Devon's coming from two different systems that we run. So now there's a lot of all, right, here's what we call this hook curl buzz, cover three, cover four, and here's what you called it, and we just have to It's like teaching somebody to speak Spanish from German or England. You know, you've got the same meanings, but you've got to figure out the words that apply, and then you dive down a little bit deeper into specific techniques, and we call them tools or adjustments that we make win. An offense is attacking our cover three in a certain way where we have a couple of tools to beat how they're attacking us. Well, he's got to learn not only our cover three, but the tools that live within that cover three. And that's where the deeper dive takes longer to really trust that he can help you win the game and not hurt you because he just is in a situation he hasn't covered yet. We have all these OTA's, all the training camp, all these practices. These guys stack and they've gone through all those problems and they can say, oh, yeah, I remember in spring when that happened. I remember in preseason. Devin doesn't have any of that. So we just have to take him at the pace that'll go. We'll start in small packages that are real familiar to him and then and we'll grow a needed.
Speaker 9: Ye every situation is different, guys.
Speaker 7: Sure, Bill Davis with US linebackers coach for the Texans, you've been a defensive coordinator. You've coached linebackers for a long time though in this league. What about the evolution of the linebacker in the NFL. We've done shows with with Ted Johnson. We had Brian Cushing on this team, though those guys a little bigger. Seems like the sizes are changing. What do you think overall coaches, the way the linebacker position has evolved.
Speaker 11: So basically, what happens if you look at it through this real simple ends that the more big people the offense has on the field, the more big people we put on defensively, the more smaller fast people, the more smaller fast defensive players we play. And what's happened over time, And I've been in three decades now and even longer. When I was a kid and a ball boy, there was always the big players. When I say big, there was multiple tight end sets. There was always a fullback in everybody's offense. So everything was big, and our linebackers were two fifty two fifty five. That's what we looked for. Could you stop the run first? And over time the offenses have morphed into more pass heavy and in order to be better in their past, they get smaller, faster, quicker guys. So what we've done with the linebackers, especially the inside, is now what used to be a two forty five. That's what the weight and the size six ' three doesn't necessarily run real fast, but can stop the run. That is no longer what we're looking for now it's gone smaller and smaller, faster, quicker. The first thing I look for is can he run and cover?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 11: Because seventy percent of what he has to do is coverage and thirty percent stop the run.
Speaker 9: So where at that place? So we have to evolve.
Speaker 3: What was a safety.
Speaker 9: When I first started in the league is now a linebacker?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 7: So could Jamiico Ryans be an all era linebacker? Could he play in any era?
Speaker 9: Absolutely? Okay? Good ass?
Speaker 11: And I don't only say that because he's the boss. I say that because of who Damiico is. And he's right at the end between He is big enough to handle the run and stop the run. He's athletic and fast enough to cover. You put him in coverage like they can't go Christian McCaffrey coverage.
Speaker 9: That's that's a rare coverage.
Speaker 11: Anyway you put a safety on a kid like that, now you're okay, our safety is going to have trouble. So there's different variations of who that running back is week the week who the tight end is, and you find your matchup linebacker wise the one that we match up with better.
Speaker 7: Were you attempted to suit him up last week with the kid?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 7: Bill Davis with US linebackers coach for the Texans. Are you mentioned you have some history in this league? Coach, and I have a lot of places I can go here, but I want to start here. You're with Dom Capers in Carolina, the very first head coach in Texans history, and you're with him in Carolina.
Speaker 6: Had some success with him.
Speaker 7: You were coaching linebackers and Kevin Green and Lamar Lathan finished one and two in sacks. That's incredible stuff. But what was it like being with Dom and Carolina?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 11: I started in Pittsburgh with Dom yep So when my first broke in the league, it was Pittsburgh Steel As he was a coordinator, went on to be the head coach of the expansion Panthers, and I was just outside linebacker coach. Vic Fanguel was a coordinator. So I've really been blessed with the coaches that I've been able to be around. And Dom Capers is an absolute mentor of mine. He has been there for me the whole career. I've learned most of my defensive ball from Dom. My first seven years were with Dom. He's outstanding human being. Him and Karen are two of my favorite people on planet Earth. But when we were in Carolina and we took that expansion, I've been with two expansion teams, Carolina and the Browns.
Speaker 9: And the first expansion team they gave the league, gave us.
Speaker 1: And Jackville everything.
Speaker 9: It wasn't fair to the rest of the league. We thought of one would be fair to us.
Speaker 11: We were loaded in free agency, we had an unlimited checkbook, and we had two picks in every round. The week we both went to the championship games after year two, so it was a real quick ascent. Then later on I was in Cleveland for the expansion and they took all of those away from us, right, so it was a little bit different animal. But with Dom and Bill Poli and those guys put together a heck of a team and it was fun to the Probably one of the biggest accomplishments of my career as a coach was having Lamar Lath and Kevin Green finished first and second in the NFL and sacks, and they were starters in the Pro Bowl, and it was a year that was a lot of fun. But those players were really committed. Like this group I have now is how hard do they work? In practice? Tells you what kind of players you have and they don't all work the same. But those guys back when we were wanting two work, they earned what they You get what you earn, and they earned those that first and second coach.
Speaker 2: You mentioned it earlier about being a ball boy when you were growing up, So you've been around this thing for a real long time. Thinking back to when you were a kid and you were doing that, did you ever think it would materialize into this? Was that kind of the impetus for Oh, yeah, I'm gonna be in the NFL, I'm going to be a coach.
Speaker 1: This is what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 2: How did that experience as being a ball boy kind of project forward into what you do now?
Speaker 9: I was so blessed my upbringer.
Speaker 11: My father's first job was with the Philadelphi Eagles in nineteen seventy six. We Dick for Meal, Wow and Vince Papali actually the whole Invincible. Yeah, it was all right then when we were there and I was a ball boy, so I was in a locker room and experience all of it. Ron Jaworski and those guys coach for meal, watching him coach and the grind you put the players through. And then I was also able to go to the Miami Dolphins when my dad was with Don Shula. So I'm now a ballboy with Don Shula. And here the ball boys are are Jerry Sandusky, who's radio for Baltimore now, David Schula, Mike Shula, Orangebarger's son David. We had henting. We just had a great group of guys and we were watching coach Shula coach every day, right and you're watching them coach on game Den were Monday Night football. I'm the guy with the red ex and I'm the kid throwing the ball. Listen, coach Schula coach. So from from early on it was so much fun to be around those guys and in the locker room. The first goal was I was going to be a player. I was going to be the Hall of Fame and Joe mont danas that I was going to be. That didn't work out, like I didn't work out for a lot of people, and then there was no there was no question I was going.
Speaker 7: In the coach, there was no doubt and we're blessed for it because you're the linebackers coach of the Texans. Coach, thanks a lot for joining us, good luck, thanks.
Speaker 9: For having me, guys appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to get him back.
Speaker 2: There's so many things that we didn't even get a chance to ask him because we only get the coaches for about ten minutes, and so it's there's always stuff on the cutter in your floor with all these guys are so intriguing, both players and coaches, and we'd love for them to come into studio and just chop it up with Mark and I. So we appreciate the opportunity to talk with all these coaches and players. Thanks to Texans pr Omar Everett, Lindsey Ryan, Angelique, Maria. They all do such a great job and we are so thankful for all of their efforts in getting those coaches to us.
Speaker 1: Okay, every Friday, even in.
Speaker 2: A bye week, I gotta make predictions, and just the way the show came down today, I'm moving them up a little bit and we'll go back and revisit what happened in Detroit last night, because man, what a game that was Detroit, So we'll look back at that and then we'll make picks straight up and against the spread for fun for this weekend's games.
Speaker 1: That's next the Texans All Access. What's happened? Everybody?
Speaker 2: Walking back to the Friday edition of Texans All Access from the Hunday Texans Radio studio.
Speaker 1: I'm your host, John.
Speaker 2: Harris, football analystilo reporter for your Houston Texans and this is well.
Speaker 1: Typically at the end of.
Speaker 2: The first hour, we have the status report for the game and we start talking a little bit more about the game. We've gone through the keys of the game, but obviously there's no games, no keys, and no status report. We'll save that for Miami, and that's gonna get all kinds of interesting when we take on.
Speaker 1: Miami next week. But that's next week.
Speaker 2: It's bye week time. Now, that doesn't mean that the NFL is not playing, it's just us. There are six teams not playing this weekend, the Colts one of them. I believe the Ravens are one of those teams, Texas being one of those teams, and there are three others. There's six teams on a bye this week, and it's tough to get this buye so late in the year, but good to get a weekend to rest, there's no question about that. But I'm still gonna make my predictions straight up and against the spread because it's fun and the way the show kind of is configured, it was just better to do it here than to do a.
Speaker 1: Little bit later. So we're gonna jump on it right now. So give me my music.
Speaker 2: Let's start last night recapping one of the incredible football games of the year. The Detroit Lions took on the Green Bay Packers. Now, they played in Green Bay the week right before we played Detroit, and Detroit just went in there and just smacked him around at Lambeau and it wasn't even close.
Speaker 1: Jordan Love threw a touchdown pass.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, he did throw a touchdown pass, but it was to Kirby Joseph, not to Green Bay Packer.
Speaker 1: So it was a wild not a wild game in Lambeau.
Speaker 2: It was a wild game last night, and it started with David Montgomery giving Detroit a seven to nothing leap.
Speaker 12: First and Goald Montgomery in the backfield, Lions trying to strike first hand off, Montgomery.
Speaker 13: Running to the right walk in touchdown, untouched Montgomery for the score and the Lions strike first in this huge NFC North battle.
Speaker 1: Jake Bates Fugal gave the Lines a ten to nothing lead.
Speaker 2: Then it was time for the Packers star running back Josh Jacobs to cut into.
Speaker 12: The lead, first in goal from the one seventeen pass interference calls against the Detroit d this year, most of the NFL Jacobs in the backfield handoff. Jacob's running to the left.
Speaker 1: He's in touchdown.
Speaker 13: Green Bay answers strong drive the majority on the ground, and fittingly, that's how they score it.
Speaker 3: With Jacobs in the end zone.
Speaker 2: That made it ten to seven for Detroit going into the second quarter. Later in the second quarter, Jered Goff looked like he had scored on a little quarterback sneak trap sort of thing, but he had not, so that gave Detroit a couple more.
Speaker 1: Opportunities to get any end zone on fourth down.
Speaker 2: They would eventually capitalize and take a seventeen to seven lead when Jamir Gibbs ran a little circle route into the end zone, wide open seventeen to seven Lions.
Speaker 12: Twelfth play of the drive, the fourth and goal. The ball is at the two fourteen seconds left in his first half, the Kims in the backfield, shotgun, tough looking.
Speaker 13: Brows con it's gams touchdown Lions.
Speaker 1: They go for it on fourth down and they cash in.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that whole go for it on fourth down thing. Oh yeah, you'll hear more about that. Both good and bad for the Lions and just a little bit. But the Lions took a seventeen seven lead into halftime. The Packers came right out on fire. Jordan Love found Tuckerkraft to cut that lead to seventeen fourteen.
Speaker 12: Packers bring Chris Brooks into the game, running back out a byu.
Speaker 3: Malik heat Is.
Speaker 12: In shotgun on third and ten from the twelve of Detroit reed motion man to the near side, three receivers left. Love gets the snap, steps up, throws end zone. It's caught touchdown Tucker Craft.
Speaker 13: Jordan Love hums it in there for a twelve yard scorer and the Packers are right.
Speaker 1: Back in it.
Speaker 2: Packers weren't done down by three. They got the ball back. It was time for Josh Jacobs to give the Packers a twenty one to seventy league snap.
Speaker 3: Love handoff, Jacobs runs it inside.
Speaker 13: And Jacob's gonna take it in for the touchdown contact on Jacobs.
Speaker 1: It didn't stop him.
Speaker 12: It barely slowed him down, and somehow the Packers have taken the lead.
Speaker 2: The Lions would take the lead back on a Tim Patrick touchdown catch. Tim Patrick had a really nice ball game. It's glad to see him have that game for the Lions. The Lions got the ball back at that point ahead twenty eight to twenty four. Keep in mind lines ahead twenty eight twenty four, But they had the ball at their own thirty one yard line and faced a fourth and one, and Dan Campbell left his offense out on a field they got stuffed and Josh Jacobs will go ahead and score and give the Packers a twenty eight to twenty four lead. Goff struck again to Tim Patrick on a one yard touchdown pass to retake the lead thirty one to twenty eight. Mcmahonus hit a field goal and tie it at thirty one, and that takes us to the end of the game, fourth and one and a really interesting decision by Dan Campbell.
Speaker 1: Do I go for it? Do I not?
Speaker 2: There's forty three seconds left in the game. Packers have no timeouts, so the Lions can kick it take the lead thirty four to thirty one. But they're given the Packers, or would have given the Packers a chance to go down and tie the ball game, send it overtime. So Dan ca Ambill said, you know what, I got the best offensive line in the league. I got the best running back duo in the league. I will trust them. David Montgomery gets the first down, they're able to run the clock all the way down and kick on the last play of the game.
Speaker 1: Jake Bates did it to the Texans. Could he do it to the Packers? Yes, he could.
Speaker 12: It is the rookie Jake Bates trotting onto the field.
Speaker 8: You said his story earlier, Ian, It's really incredible. I mean, for people that aren't familiar, the guy really got signed because of what he did in the UFL in this stadium for whatever.
Speaker 1: The UFL Detroit team's name.
Speaker 3: Is the Michigan Panthers. Yeah, Michigan Panthers. This is the Michigan Panthers right now, Jakes.
Speaker 12: This is for the number one seed in the NFC, Detroit trying to move to twelve and one on the season.
Speaker 1: This is a thirty five five yard at ten.
Speaker 12: Patton to snap it Fox the holder, Jake Bates, rookie kicker, the approach, sweeps the.
Speaker 1: Leg kick on the way, He's got the Lions win.
Speaker 13: It is a new franchise record eleven straight victories for the Detroit Lions. They outlast the Packers thirty four to thirty one. Detroit moves to twelve and one, and they maintain the number one seed in the NFC.
Speaker 1: The Lions clinch a playoff berth Drama in Detroit, Oh yeah baby.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of drama in Detroit, no doubt, but the Lions get that win.
Speaker 1: In what a game.
Speaker 2: Fourth down risks. Dan Campbell is not scared, not scared. He's ahead, He'll go for a deepen on territory, needing to run out the clock. I actually thought he should have punned it when they were head by three deep of their territory.
Speaker 1: But I thought he did the right thing at the end of the game.
Speaker 2: Don't give the Packers a shot because of forty three seconds left.
Speaker 1: I mean, I tried to figure out the way.
Speaker 2: To say this, but I felt like the risk was minimized because, yeah, the Packers can go down to kick a field.
Speaker 1: Go and beat you.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty big risk, but it kind of just felt like overtime at that point, so try to keep it from actually going to overtime.
Speaker 1: I agreed with him going forward on fourth down.
Speaker 2: I was listening to the game on mute last night, so I don't know what Alan Kirk had to say, but that's the way I looked at thirty four thirty one. Detroit wins or twelve and one Green Bay falls to nine and four. You heard Iron Eagles say the Lions clinched the playoff spot. They are that much closer to clinching the NFC North, but Minnesota's played really well, so they need Minnesota to do some things. This are they playing this weekend? I mean, there's so many teams on buys. Yeah, the Vikers are playing. Oh yeah, we'll talk about that in just a second. But either way, line's that win. Jared Goff throws three touchdowns for the Lions. Jordan Love made a couple of incredible throws. Montgomery the touchdown, James Williams had eighty yards. Christian Watson was great yet on four one hundred and fourteen yards receiving.
Speaker 1: The Lions win thirty four thirty one.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's make these picks straight up and against the spread throughout the league. The Saints are taking on the Giants. These teams are I mean, the Saints, I guess are still in it in the NFC South, but I just I don't know. I don't know what to expect from the Giants. It's probably Drew Locke, you know, Let's go at Drew Locke to get a cover for the Saints to get a win on the road.
Speaker 1: It's five and a half to spread, so let's go. Let's go. Saints win. Giants cover, Brown Steelers.
Speaker 2: They played a few weeks ago and the Browns upset the Steelers.
Speaker 1: Steelers are six and a half point favorites on the road.
Speaker 2: Make sure you're watching this on AFC North, Hard Knocks on HBO, because fantastic stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go. Steelers win.
Speaker 2: They're gonna get a little bit of revenge against Jamis Winston and the Browns in a short week play on Monday night, and they gotta go on the road to take on the Steelers. It's a bus ride, so it's not that bad. But Steelers wins. Steelers cover. Kirko is not playing well for the Atlanta Falcons, and now he goes back to take on as former team in Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings favored by six. I think they will jump all over the Falcons and all over Kirk Cousins. Won't be surprised to see Michael Pennix at the end of this one. Minnesota wins and covers the six. The Raiders taking on the Buccaneers. A and O'Connell's playing much much better, but the Buccaneers are right back in the thick of things in the NFC South, Buccaneers are fair by six and a half. They're gonna win this thing and win it by seven or more. Bucks win go to seven and six. That'll be a big one. If the Vikings win like I thought, that puts the Bucks atop the NFC South. Panthers taking on Eagles. The Panthers have played much much better lately, but Eagles are favored by fourteen for a reason.
Speaker 1: They're gonna win this thing by twenty.
Speaker 2: Let's go thirty four fourteen winn and cover for the Eagles.
Speaker 1: Jags Titans.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see the Titans lose this thing because the Titans have ten losses too, and then both would be out of the playoffs.
Speaker 3: But either way.
Speaker 2: Tennessee three and a half point favorite. This probably should be with the Jags playing Mac Jones. I think, man, this is a tough one. I think the Titans are gonna win this thing at home. But at three and a hook, I don't know who I love. So let's go Titans win this, but the Jaguars get inside that number. Let's go twenty to seventeen. Twenty seventeen. Titans win, but Jaguars get a cover. Jets Dolphins down in Miami. Miami favorite by six, coming off that Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Loss to the Packers.
Speaker 2: They've had the little mini by I think Dolphins arrested. Dolphins favored by six. I think they beat up the Jets. The Jets have just opened a can of quit. Forget about it, it had done. Yeah, they're done. Miami wins this thing by seven or more. Dolphins moved to six and seven with the win, and they get a Seahawks and Cardinals. That's gonna be a funball game in Arizona. Geno Smith played okay for the Seahawks, not great, but then he'll play well enough to make this one close. But in the end, Arizona's gonna come away with the win. I think Arizona's tough to beat at home. Arizona's gonna move to seven and six on the year, and Arizona will cover that two and a half points.
Speaker 1: That's what their favorite buy.
Speaker 2: Bill's going on to take a Bill's going out to La one week after clinching the AFC East, but they have designs on that number one seed in the af seed. The Rams just kind of beat up, but the defense plays well. The defense will give it a go for a while, but in the end, the Bills will win this thing. They'll win it by a touchdown. Let's go thirty one twenty four. That'll cover the three and a half Bill's gonna win and cover out in La. Bears taking on the forty nine Ers. Two teams are just kind of messes right now. For the forty nine Ers, it's injuries. For the Bears, Matt Eberflu's gone. Now you've got Thomas Brown as zerum head coach and yoc it's been all just it's been crap for the Bears since midseason, since I lost to the Commanders.
Speaker 1: It's been ugly.
Speaker 2: Let's go forty nine Ers to win this thing and cover that three and a half they'll win this thing by ten. Let's go thirty to twenty forty nine, Ers win and get the six and seven Chargers. Chiefs is a wonderful Sunday night game. Chiefs at home. They're favored by four. They played every game right at that number about four, But I think they win this thing by seven. Let's go thirty four to twenty seven. Herbert keeps it close, but the Chiefs win and cover the Monday Night Bengals Cowboys. It's the Simpsons game.
Speaker 1: It's ud be pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Since he's favored by five in Dallas, I'm going Dallas in the upset to win and then obviously cover Dallas in and upset. How about that? Okay, that finishes the first hour. We get back. It's time for Frank Ross, the Boss, to join us next right here in Texans All Access. We go on our down one are left to go right here on a Friday edition of Texans All Access. I'm your host, John Harris Football Analysts. It's time to talk to our buddy Frank Ross. Yes, Frank Ross is the Boss special teams coordinator. We had fun conversation with him back a couple of weeks ago talking about special teams kickoffs could have.
Speaker 1: Gone off for twenty minutes. We went about five. So here we go coach Ross with Mark and.
Speaker 7: In studio with us now special teams coordinator Frank Ross, coach, Great to see you.
Speaker 6: How's it going?
Speaker 9: Ready to roll?
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 7: That sounds rather some dude for you. I know we have a few days before the game.
Speaker 1: It's about the crescendo, Bill.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but you have to bring it in practice every day, right, and you want your guys to do that too.
Speaker 6: During some times you have to work with that.
Speaker 14: We operate on a full capacity and then you just run out at some point. Right now, we're not running out, so we'll tempo it down when we call it a retirement.
Speaker 2: So Frank, I think about you a lot of night games because I think about the energy you bring and how hard that must be to like harness that whole thing until seven whatever at night. How tough is that for a guy that has as much energy as you do to just kind of chill and kind of like let it build as opposed to just be amped all day and then run out by halftime.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's a great question. Honestly, I know a lot of guys that preferred day games. You wake up, got your routine and start, and there is an element of anxious weight during those those long hours before the game. So everybody's got their own way. I just know this. When the football is kicked off in the NFL, there's nothing better on planet Earth. So it's not something that you have to get hyped up, or if you do, got to find a new line of work.
Speaker 7: That's a good point, all right, coach, it's time to get the review dynamic kickoff thoughts?
Speaker 14: Is that the word dynamics still? Yeah, so there's some sarcasm there for anybody who didn't catch that.
Speaker 1: But I think I think a couple things.
Speaker 14: One, we have some midseason reports amongst the special teams coaches getting a little inside information here that the injuries are down. Okay, they've accomplished the goals of like, there's no lex injuries or a plummet of those which lex is the lower extre the hamstring pulls on a touch back for your guys that are flying down in case the ball were to be brought out of the end zone a year ago and you pull a hamstring or an unintended collision on a touchback that results in a concussion. So I think the NFL that's you know, one of the main things that definitely at this point seems to be something that's trending positive for the new play. They're definitely gonna be some iterations moving forward, in my opinion, I hope. So there's so many restrictions, right, so two players outside the numbers for the kickoff team, you can't move two players between the numbers and the hash. You can't move two players between the hashes. So that is a landlocked like you are. Your perimeters are standardized, so you know that. So the kickoff team says, okay, that backside player, this front side player, they can only get to so many places. Conversely, on the other side, there's not as much flexibility as we thought that would provide these you know, these beautiful swing returns that kind of set left and go right. And then relative to the XFL picture that everybody thought it was gonna be, kickers are better, cover players are better. Yes, So you know you have nevill Hewett flying down the field, alright, flying down the field, it might be a different story no offense to the XFL. It just you know, the guys are moving faster, so it's definitely provided some challenges and it's become a little bit more routinized and standardized. So we're gonna continue to see if it can become more exciting as we move forward with it.
Speaker 7: You've answered this before, but it's a new year. So the conversations that take place with coach Ryan's on let's kick it to the one or let's just bash it through the back of the end zone, time of the game, situation with the return man.
Speaker 6: What goes into all that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you kind of hit on some of those things we talked about before. But yardage situation, who's covering for us, what has happened previously or earlier in the game. We mentioned this well just with the local media about Green Bay when we were up there and win one side of the field or the other. All those things are gonna matter. How can we cover how had gone to this point, what do they need to do in the game to get points?
Speaker 1: So all those are always going to factor.
Speaker 14: And to mention what you had referenced earlier last week, we were trying to put the ball in play quickly or I would say perfect placement and it goes an inch past.
Speaker 1: That's a good miss. There's no such thing as good like that is a good miss.
Speaker 14: So if they don't want to return it, that's their prerogative and we just have to just there.
Speaker 7: Coach one more for you, the punting game obviously, as far as coverage, putting itself, all of it.
Speaker 6: Your thoughts on the performance so far this year.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think that this season we're playing our best football right now, and I think that showed out Tommy letting it rip with direction hang. We saw the gunners, I mean, other coach coordinators and coaches from other teams are commenting on our gunner play.
Speaker 1: Mishap early in the season.
Speaker 14: With protection, I thought we did a great job in protection the last few weeks, not only assignment, but actually physically dominating at the point of attack when rushers are coming. You're not just collecting a rusher, You're striking that guy. And really happy with where that's been. And to be able to flip the field in a big football game like that's everything. So to fight down there cover like banshees, that's what we want every week. I want you guys to as the guys calling the game, I want you to look at the special teams unit and say, those guys are playing violent and fast.
Speaker 1: I'm fired up, Coach, I'm ready to play next.
Speaker 6: Let's go call this game.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot, Coach, good luck, thanks to you guys.
Speaker 2: Coming up next is a feel good Friday, and if Frank Ross doesn't make it feel good, Demko Ryans will for sure that's next right here in Texans All Access, Welcome back to this Friday edition of Texans All Access, a bye week Friday All Access Show. Appreciate you being with me John Harris, Football and sideline Reporter for your Houston Texans. But it's also a feel good Friday, so that means Demico Ryans, we had a chance to catch up with coach after the win against Jacksonville before everybody took off for the buye some great stuff and it makes you feel good on a Friday.
Speaker 1: Let's go coach with me and.
Speaker 6: Mark joining us in studio.
Speaker 7: Head Coach, Demiko riants Coach, happy bye week, here.
Speaker 1: We are, Happy bye week, finally here, finally here.
Speaker 6: It's only been since mid July, Coach.
Speaker 7: It's been a long run, but you come into the by having beaten Jacksonville, and let's start there because at the end of the game, you kill the clock with the ground game, and I know you're all fired up about that. Guys blocking Joe running. You got the job done. Ended the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I love to see the way we ended that game right offensively. Did not want to put the defense back out on the field, so they knew we were.
Speaker 3: Running the ball. We knew were running.
Speaker 15: He's talking through it with Bobby, He's going with our best run of the day and we show up and it's no more important block on that play than Robert Woods coming into the screen.
Speaker 3: Robert Is.
Speaker 15: We put Robert to block their linebacker. He did an exceptional job of blocking him. Our tight ends were great on that play as well, larring me. Excellent jobs lost everybody. Is what we talk about in the run game, getting a hat on a hat and controlling the line of scrimming, moving guys off the line of scrimms. That's how she looked right there, and that was a fun way to end the game, you know, to make sure we're going out in victory formationon and kneeling it out. Love to see that every single time.
Speaker 2: That's both times on a road Division game. Did it Indian Week one? You did it in Jacksonville finishing it that way and that's so it's fulfilling. But coach, that's ten nice of this to you after the game. That's ten straight road Division wins for the Texans. I don't ask you if there's any secret sauce and or once you give that up, but what is it about playing on the road in the division where you guys sort of light up a little bit and go get wins?
Speaker 15: I wish it was one thing I could put my head on that it was, you know, one thing here playing on the road, But it's really just the way our guys showed up mentally yesterday. That was that was it. Like we were in a great spot. Everybody was playing to win the game like and that was that's what you felt, the effort right, the mindset, how guys were finishing like that's what it takes every time you line up. We're not playing to not lose, you play to win. And that's that's what I saw.
Speaker 2: Did you have any concern at all that that might be the case that we've had twelve long weeks this is the thirteenth week.
Speaker 1: Man, where are they going to be physically? Where are they're going to be? Meantal, did you have a concern about that heading into the game, because.
Speaker 15: For sure, that's my concern, just when you go at it for such a long time, like it's draining, like especially physically on the body. We play a very physical sport. It's taxing on the body. And a lot of people don't see. I mean, you have these a lot of guys that are going through It may not be a really significant injury, but guys will have these nicks and bumps that they have to kind of fight through all the time, right, And I just have so much respect for the guys knowing that the pounding that they put on their bodies, and to go thirteen straight weeks without taking a break, and it was it was definitely in my mind like that we just have to push through and got to muster how to win even though our guys are physically exhausted.
Speaker 7: I want to go back to the end of the game for a moment because it's third and five and you said you're best running play, ready to go. But as the head coach, you also have to be ready for those tough decisions.
Speaker 6: What if it's fourth and one, fourth and.
Speaker 7: Two, are we gonna pun are we gonna go for it try to end the game that way.
Speaker 6: You always have to think ahead like that.
Speaker 15: Yeah, you always have to think ahead. Of course, every play you think this is gonna get the first down, but you're already kind of thinking of head and that situation, Like, man, I'm just whatever our best run is in that situation, I was thinking first down only, like, let's makes it we get But if we you know, we were in that situation and we had to punt the ball.
Speaker 3: We had to punt it and go play defense.
Speaker 1: Coach, you gave the offensive line of game ball.
Speaker 9: We talked about this a little bit.
Speaker 1: They got a couple of sacks.
Speaker 2: Early on, early game, early game, running not getting as much, and then all of a sudden, it was that drive in the third quarter.
Speaker 1: We got this six to six.
Speaker 2: You had that five play drive and they opened up Joe that long run and they Joe scored in the next one. I feel like after that you really kind of broke the damn in a sense of running the football. When you went back and looked at the tape, how did you kind of assess what the offensive line was able to do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's that was it.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 15: They they stayed after it in the run game, the passing game. Like the protection I thought was really one of our best days of protecting. We got a few of the same pressures we've seen getting forward to a side. I thought our guys handled that really well. They communicated well, but overall they gave CJ toime in the protection piece. In the run game, I think we're just staying after it, staying after and kind of wearing those guys down. I think that's what really made us have a good day.
Speaker 3: In the running game.
Speaker 15: I mean, Laramie did a really great job playing physical all game, Juice had one of his better games, saw a step there and improving. Just guys are getting better, and that's what's so cool to see about. You know, where we are at this point in the season, to still speak about how we're improving and getting better down the stretch like that's it's encouraging to see how much better our team can be when everybody's firing on the same cylinder.
Speaker 7: Does it surprise even you how much of a leader Joe has been for this football team and how effective I'm field as well. I know you're expecting good things, but these are amazing things you're getting.
Speaker 3: Out of him.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean it's not surprising just watching him when it first came into the building, Like you just feel the guy who had confidence, right, so he was sure that he's gonna turn out. Yo, He's gonna get yards, he's gonna make plays. And you felt that. And he's been the same guy from my first interaction with him when he first stepped in the building until now. Like he brings that swagger I talk about all the time. You bring a swagger in a confidence that he brings. He brings it to our entire group, and I think the old line everyone feedes off it. They're asking, like, can we run the ball again? Because they know what Joe can create even if it's not there. It's one play where the Jacksonville Jaguard they lined up kind of on the wrong side and they got to overload to our left and we're running the ball to the left. But Joe's able to put a foot in the ground and create his own explosive run just by being, you know, a dynamic player playing with great visions. So when you have a guy like that, even though you're into a brick wall, he can hit put his foot in the ground and go make a play on his own.
Speaker 3: That's big time play.
Speaker 7: And this is kind of your vision for the offense, right because CJ Is still throwing the ball a lot, your top five in passing yards, your quarterback is and Joe's doing what he's doing third in the league in yards per game. So it's all kind of working together right now. You want to see that continue it is.
Speaker 15: It's about being having a balance attack right on offense. Right, we can throw it when we need to throw it, and also when you can run the ball, it just makes it easier. Right now, we wanted to lean heavy on our play action pass game versus the Jags. We're only able to do that because of what we can do in the running game. Like you can only get the second level defenders to step up if you're effective at running the football, and so.
Speaker 3: It goes hand in hand. Right running the.
Speaker 15: Ball leads to Nico being open in the middle of the field with no defenders around him. So we just continue to work on that, having balance and making sure we're executing on all phases.
Speaker 2: Katcho's asking about fatigue level at this point of the you're both mental and physical, and you were asked about the rookies.
Speaker 1: You know, they thirteen year row. I mean, that's tough to learn. They're learning the game.
Speaker 2: Thought about the rookies that have been on the field, I felt like even though yesterday got beat on the one touchdown, Kamari was involved in the run game all game all like.
Speaker 1: He was diving into plays.
Speaker 2: He was there and for our listeners out there, if they want to go see the difference and how you play it as a defensive back, watch the Jaguars defensive back on our last play with Joe Mixon.
Speaker 3: Around the ball.
Speaker 1: He won any part of that.
Speaker 2: Kamari wanted every piece of every Teal jersey that was coming his way. We've talked about what you like about him, but to see him doing that in week thirteen, I thought that was a really big feather in the cap. What do you think about how he played yesterday and when he gave you in the run defense.
Speaker 15: Yeah, his intensity and the way he shows up as a corner. The physicality is it's unmassed, Like you don't see corners stepping up in the run game the way Kamari does. Like in a way he just flies around to the football like it's fun to watch, and corners are physical and they're tackling. That's the makings of a physical defense. The same on the other side. I talk about Robert and his blocking on the perimeter, Like your receivers are blocking, your corners are tackling. That's physical football, right everybody else on the inside, that's a given. You have to play physical. He won't make it on the inside. But Kamari, Man, he flies around and he is fun to watch, so I love watching him play. He's man, he played a lot of snaps for us, being a rookie. You know, we threw him in there and he's he has n't blinked. He's made a lot of plays for us. He's still growing as a player, but man, I love his intensity on the field.
Speaker 7: Coach, I know you've been asked a lot about disease, but one thing about his character. You were asked about that as well. This is a phenomenal individual. Johnny and I were so impressed the first time we got to spend some time with him, and anybody would be if they do get that opportunity. I know it was a rough moment yesterday, but what about disease and moving forward and what he means to this football team.
Speaker 15: Yeah, these means everything to us. He's our leader, especially on the defensive side. He's our leader. He gets our guys going, he's that communicating the communicator on our defense. He's that quarterback of the defense. So he's everything to what we do and how we can be effective. As it takes him right and you don't have that Mike backer out there like you seeing in the game. Yes, we missed him, right, we missed his presence. He was on track to have a really good game, like he had a very productive day within nineteen snaps. I think he had like five tackles, so he's having a productive day. But as he's just the character and the guy he's he's such an amazing guy. He wish, you know, everybody could get to talk to him and know him, but he's he's a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, like he really cares about others, like not only his teammates, but others like AZ's came from a rough upbringing, so he understands what it's like to not have and he wants to.
Speaker 3: Make sure he shares and helps others.
Speaker 15: And it's important to him and that's who he is as a man, and he's caring, he's loving, He's a great guy to talk to, very intelligent young man, and I just I love working with him. I was known his ease in twenty nineteen. I got a lot of conversations with a lot of toss diseases like family to me, Like he means a lot to me, And I know the type of player that he is. He plays physical, he plays fast, and that kind of gets it's shunned because of the game we play now today where people aren't playing as fast and physical as a ease and somebody gets hit and it's like, whoa wait a minute, can you still do that? Like, yeah, it's football. It's still a violent game. It's still a physical game. But you know, we all have a ease back and everything that he's doing, and I've talked to his ease.
Speaker 3: He's in a good spot.
Speaker 2: Coach at six to six in the third quarter, and you get the ball after they kick the field goal to tie it, and we've all talked about the second half scoring problems and all that kind of stuff, and then yeah, the screen that goes awry. But then in the next four plays might have been for your better offensive plays. You hit Nico on the route, inside route, Dalton goes up and over somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Joe hits the two.
Speaker 2: Runs back to back, and it felt like that was one of your better drives when you felt like when we felt like you needed one needed and it came up with the big drive. There was that kind of the way that you saw that five play sequence right there, that that.
Speaker 1: You had to have it and you got it.
Speaker 3: That's exactly how I saw it.
Speaker 15: It's been so much talked about our second half offense and the man, we definitely need this drive right now, and our playmakers are top players stood up and made plays, you know, Nico, Dalton, Joe, just for them to make those plays in that moment when we needed it most for us to get I think it was seventeen points in the second half when we haven't been scoring a lot of points in the second Man, it's impressive, and it goes to show like we're still improving, we're still growing, and we can be a good second half team right when we put it all together and just executing that shows right there we needed that drive. Offense stepped up and made it a big drive for us.
Speaker 7: All Right, it's bye week, but I have a feeling you're not gonna be sitting around in a Hawaiian shirt with an umbrella drink. Coach, I know that you're just spend time with a family, but there's work to do. Also, what about self scouting and all the stuff we hear about teams going through during bye week?
Speaker 6: What is there about that?
Speaker 15: Yeah, Well, with the self scouting, you go back through just your season or the last you go back through like the last four to six games to see just the things you've done well and see are there any tendencies that other teams may be picking up on that you can look at with a fresh set eye. Sometimes you get into the monotons this week, game plan onto the next. Sometimes you maybe lose sight on some of those fresh ideas that you need from studying other teams or just really taking a deep dive at yourself.
Speaker 1: So we'll look at ourselves, see.
Speaker 15: Where things we've done well, things we can change, and just see, you know, where we can lean in more on certain plays. But it's really a time to ref as coaches, So you can't come back with a set of fresh eyes as well.
Speaker 6: Coach, thanks a lot, I have a great bank you guys.
Speaker 2: All right, We get back the ultimate eleven plays and moments from the win over Jacksonville. I'll explain where this comes from next on Texans All Access.
Speaker 1: We go on final.
Speaker 2: Segment of this edition of Texans All Access, but we got more eight to nine. Mark's got you for a little bit more before we turn it over to Area forty five, which I don't know if it'll be Sean Bajanni and Patrick Crayton because I know that Sean did the morning show today with Seth, so not totally sure how that's gonna all go. That said, as it's in the previous segment. Every single Tuesday or your show called Texans Matchup, where a lot of time I do a lot of different things with it, but it's really a show that kind of looks back and kind of looking ahead all the same time. One of the things I love to do is I do the ultimate eleven plays in moments from the previous week's game, and thought, you know what, on a bye week Friday, the hell, let's go back and look at the all him to eleven plays of the win over Jacksonville and do it starting right here, no pun intended. As we get to number eleven, score zero zero Texans had to get some points up on the board. Drive stalled probably a little sooner than they wanted to, and out on the field, try to Kayme Fairbairn. And the last time we had seen Kye kick a field goal was that Energy Stadium was thirty yarder. It's when he makes his sleep. And he missed it. And I've never seen Kayemie react to a miss the way that he did that one against Tennessee.
Speaker 1: So when he tried it out here to line.
Speaker 2: It up from fifty three, I thought, man, I was cheering so hard for him. Inside, I'm just like, come on, Kymie, come on, baby, knock this one home. And he did. Fifty three yards out. Kymie knocked it home to give the Texas a three to nothing lead. He comes in number eleven and starts us.
Speaker 1: Off fifty three yard at tech left tash Mark.
Speaker 7: The snap is down, Fairbar's kick is on the way, and it's good.
Speaker 1: And the man who has.
Speaker 7: More fifty yard plus field goals in a season than anyone else in NFL history makes another one to get the first points of the game. Three nothing, Texans fourteen to fifty one to go in the second.
Speaker 1: All right, it's getting number ten.
Speaker 2: Now I've told you before, if Texas get beat, I pay homage at number ten for the visitors. But Texas didn't get beat, so I continue, that's right, and we go defense.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: This play, I think shows the impact of one Tim Settle. This play right here is a play that teams have tried to run onto Texans all year long. Some have had a little bit of success, not a ton but it's a trap play. And with the way that the Texans play their defense up front, defensive guys are penetrating a lot, they're going.
Speaker 1: A field, it's seemingly easy.
Speaker 2: To trap them. But Tim Settle played this run absolutely perfectly, blowing it up in the backfield early in the game to set the tone. Great play here, Tim Settle coming in at number ten.
Speaker 7: Wow, here's Lawrence under center second and eight from the Jacksonville eighteen one back et and they feed him again.
Speaker 1: And he's up Audrey.
Speaker 7: Now it wasn't Audrey was settled Settle from his defensive tackle spot, the former Bill just blasting into the backfield and bringing out atn to fourth third in law I.
Speaker 3: Thought he would have a good day to day.
Speaker 16: He's been dynamic as an inside pass rusher and starting to show those the run stopping abilities to go along with it all.
Speaker 1: Let's get to number nine, and it's an appreciation post.
Speaker 2: I guess that's a thing that the kids doing now a social media I say, kids, I guess I'm probably doing it too. I just probably don't do it as well like the other kids do, but I am doing it here. It's an appreciation for both Joe Mixon and the offensive line. He goes for over one hundred again on the ground. Offensive line I felt like had it's maybe its best game. Gave it two sacks early and then that was it. And then in the second half they really started breaking down the Jaguars defense. So Joe Mixon a couple of great runs here early in the game. You'll hear more from him a little bit later too, But here's Joe number nine.
Speaker 7: Texans get up to the line first down at the Jaguars twenty one, Stroud on their center with mixing in the backfield.
Speaker 1: CJ looks it over.
Speaker 7: Jack's loading up at the line, Stover in motion to the left side, hand off mix and running right, trying to shake by Attackler has a little room along the right side. Bye fifteen ten and push to the bounds at the eight yard line.
Speaker 1: First down.
Speaker 7: Run Johnson with the tackle and the Texans have a first in goal after that thirteen yard pickup by Joe mix at his best run of the day, IRV Smith lined up left CJ under center with Mixing in the backfield.
Speaker 1: First down at the Jacksonville thirty two yard line.
Speaker 7: Stover in motion to the left and they toss it to mix and running that way, trying to turn the corner, and does gets up the left sideline across the twenty five going to mark him out where close to a first down?
Speaker 1: He's got it.
Speaker 6: Ten yard run, Joe Mix it.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's get to the oat shoe and it's Jimmy War Jimmy stepping into that nickel position, and a couple of years ago, there's ayah, there's a lot of consternation coming from Jimmy when he's playing in San Francisco and he didn't want to play the nickel.
Speaker 1: You want to play safety.
Speaker 2: And he's been playing safety here for the first couple of years and only stepped into a nickel role when something was going on with that position. A little bit in twenty twenty three, then he got banged up Mistress of the Year. But twenty twenty four that's been Jaalen Petrie's position, and Jalen has rocked it. Jalen has been absolutely fantastic, but lost him to injury, and that's a gutting injury, I mean, just a cut punch injury for a number of different reasons. But Jimmy knows how to play that position, and he plays the run like a monster when he is at that nickel spot. So number eight, here's Jimmy and oh yeah, I can hear Jimmy. Let's see if you know what movie.
Speaker 7: That's from Bigsby in the backfield Lawrence and they gotten first down Jackson from there.
Speaker 1: Twenty four here's bigs be.
Speaker 7: Tripped up in the backfield by Jimmy Ward. A TfL. Wow, great job by Jimmy.
Speaker 16: There are times that you know when he's playing this Petrie role and down in the box, this is what he likes to do.
Speaker 3: He there a TfL.
Speaker 16: For Jimmy Ward as he brings down Bigsby, who is tough to bring down at times.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to number seven, and this was one of my favorite drives of the game.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't really know why, other than it felt like the offense was finding its way, it was finding its rhythm. There was a nice, you know, smooth wave to it. You know, it wasn't rocky and all over the place.
Speaker 1: It just felt like it was really smooth.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: And CJ was throwing the pigskin man. He was doing a tremendous job throwing it. These three passes came on this one drive. Joe catches one of the backfield for nine. Then John Metchi caught one and I thought he was I didn't think he was down, so I'm like, John, get up and run.
Speaker 1: Well he did, and they.
Speaker 2: Got the first down, but then they had to move it back because apparently Antonio Johnson grazed him with the pinky. And then the final one and I always love being in position for these. This was an out route to Nico Collins on the last one, and Nico is running right at me, And I always wonder how hard it is for officials with that toe tap on the sideline, and I just happened to be right the right spot and being down there. As much as I am, I can train my eyes, and I have trained my eyes like watch his feet like I didn't see Nico catch the ball, He just looked at the feet. Did he get him in bank bank, Yes, got the toe tapper in. But it happened so fast. Man, I could see why officials aren't able to see that a lot of times because they're down the field.
Speaker 1: They're not right at that right spot where I happen to be.
Speaker 2: But man, it's one of those things that I won't forget because it's one of the reasons I love being down there because you see the action, like I see his feet go bang bang, and it's awesome. So on this drive, the Texas put points up on the board and they did it after these three throws from c J. Stroud to Joe Mixon, John Metchi and Nico Collins.
Speaker 7: Nico Collins short side right, CJ. Stroud shotgun with twenty eight, Joe mix into the backfield. Stroud fakes the gift. CJ has time, pumps throws to Mix in right side forty five and out of mounts with the forty two yard line, they pick up nine. The coverage by a Lucan on the running back mix in who could do it through the air on the ground any which way you please. Houston taking its sweet time huddling up. Metsch Nico and del go widside right, Stroud and the gun. Second down in fourteen for the Texans. Here's CJ in the pocket pumping, CJ scrambling. CJ in trouble, gets out of the jam, throws and this is caught by Metchi rolling catch inside the thirty two and he never got tagged down. Gets up and runs for the first down, and they'll mark him at the twenty six yard line.
Speaker 16: I think it was Tank dell Over telling him eight, you weren't touched, Get up and run.
Speaker 1: Yep, he didn't have the first down at the time.
Speaker 7: Monterk Brown brought him down and they'll mark him at the twenty six yard line. It's a nineteen yard pass play to John Metshie, first down at the Jacksonville twenty nine yard line.
Speaker 1: Offset Ie formation pierces in the game.
Speaker 7: CJ fakes to give a boot to the right side, there's pressure, He scrambles out further right, throws down field. It's Nico toe Tapper in the red zone, sixteen yard line, first down, Houston Texans, thirteen yards.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to number six and at number six at put number four Kamari Lassiter.
Speaker 1: Now I is the game is going on.
Speaker 2: I'm watching Kamari and I'm like, man, that dude's playing fearless, Like that's Kareem Jackson like stuff, diving into the phrase, you know, being forced contained on runs making tackles at number six is a TfL for Kamari. So I'm gonna play that for you. Then I want you to listen to the clip of a question that I asked Demiko about Kamaria after the game.
Speaker 1: But take a listen.
Speaker 2: This is at number six, Kamori last with a five yard TfL.
Speaker 7: Here's Jones and the gun. I'm third and three from the Houston seventeen. Jones takes the snap, hands off to Etn, running to the right side, lasting or chasing him down and pushing him out of allens at the twenty one yard line and loss on the player.
Speaker 1: There was a tough handoff here between Jones.
Speaker 7: Who tripped as he got the ball to Etn and the Texans blew up the plate immediately.
Speaker 1: Forcing a loss. Fourth down.
Speaker 7: They'll obviously go for it, but now it's fourth and eight instead of fourth and three or less.
Speaker 1: I absolutely love this dude, I'm telling you. I love Kamara Lasser.
Speaker 2: I love the way he plays, loved him at Georgia, and I was so glad that he became a Texan. But the one thing that really has stood out, I mean he covers well, I mean he's competitive, I mean all that kind of stuff, But he comes up and hits, he strikes. He wants to play physical out on the edge, and so that stood out to me in the game against Jacksonville. So I asked Demiko Ryans about that particular thing, and this is what he had to say.
Speaker 15: Yeah, his intensity and the way he shows up as a corner. The physicality is it's unmatched. Like you don't see corners stepping up in the run game the way Kamari does like and the way he just flies around to the football like it's fun to watch. And when your corners are physical and they're tackling, that's the makings of a physical defense. The same on the other side, I talk about Robert and his blocking on the perimeter, Like your receivers are blocking, your corners are tackling. That's physical football, right everybody else on the inside, that's a given. You have to play physical. He won't make it on the inside. But Kamari, Man, he flies around and he is fun to watch, so I love love watching him play. He's made play a lot of snaps for us, being a rookie. You know, we threw him in there and he's he has him blinked. He's made a lot of plays for us. He's still growing as a player, but man, I love his intensity on the field.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's get to number five and it's that man, Nico Collins, and I love seeing Nico get involved in the game early on. But I find fascinating is that one of his better games was the first one against Annapolis Colts. He had six catches for one hundred and seventeen yards, but he really didn't get involved until the deep ball in the second quarter. But he got involved early in this one against the Jacksonville Jaguars, and that probably was the right thing to do. In the first matchup, he had twelve catches for one hundred and fifty one yards in a tuddy and they got him involved early early in this one. First, he had this fifteen yarder to kick off his receiving.
Speaker 7: Game, first down from the Houston sixteen. Stroud under center mixing in the backfield. Shroud throws back to his left after looking right, and here's a pass to Nico breaking a tackle and take it man with him across the thirty to the thirty one yard line. Savage with the tackle, took a little sleigh ride with Nico Collins.
Speaker 1: First down, Houston fifteen yards.
Speaker 16: I hope the time that he missed doesn't hurt him, because I think he's putting together not only a Pro Bowl season, but an All Pro season. That's that's how good I think Nico Collins has been and what he means to this Texans offense.
Speaker 2: And then a little while later, he was running the deep over route and Tyson Campbell couldn't stay with him, stumbled, fell, slip, whatever it was, Nico wide open, big forty yard game that helped set up the first score of the game.
Speaker 1: Here's CJ to Nico. It's the second part of number five.
Speaker 7: Nico Collins short side left, Stroud under center, first down, Texans at their twenty five offset I formation. CJ back to throw, looking looking, firing downfield and wide open. Nico across the forty five right side and spun down at the thirty five yard lineup Jacksonville big play to number twelve, the hit by Monterrek Brown. This is good for forty yards. All right, Let's get to number four and move on to the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: Early in the fourth quarter, talking about a sixteen to six game at this point.
Speaker 1: And the Texans have shown a lot more in.
Speaker 2: The second half. Kick the kick field goal at a touchdown. They've taken a sixteen to six league. Defense is holding the jag Jags not really doing much with mac Jones at this particular point. I think I gotta put more points on the board, right, They gotta get more up on the board.
Speaker 1: And it was this drive right here that I loved. I loved this drive CJ.
Speaker 2: They didn't just go to a shell and just let CJ hand off the show. CJ is gonna sling it, and so two throws here on this drive that gave.
Speaker 1: Them a twenty three to six league.
Speaker 2: First, it was the deep out from CJ to Tank for twenty three yards. This was a nice, nice ball pitching catch, perfectly done right here.
Speaker 1: CJ. Stroud under center.
Speaker 7: Stroud fakes to give CJ throwing downfield and God is man at the thirty two yard line. Tank Dell first down Texans. Nice play of twenty three yards to the second year receiver out of the University of Houston.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and he beat a pretty good defender. He's been in this league a while. In Ronald Darby from the writer at Florida State in Tallahassee, now in his tenth year.
Speaker 1: The second part of number four.
Speaker 2: Takes me back to the game against Jacksonville last year twenty twenty three, Week three. Tank had a big catch down the field that got Damien within the got Damien one yard touchdown. Late in the game, Tanks wide open on a third and three CJ hit some ballgame put thirty seven up on the board, beat the Jacks.
Speaker 1: Both of those were broken coverages.
Speaker 2: So in the offseason when the Jaguars went out and got Ryan Nielson as a defensive coordinator, who I thought was a fine defense coordinator with the aon Falcons, I thought, Okay, those days are over. They're not gonna blow coverages. Well, let me introduce you to the second part of number four. The Texans came out a bunch set three wide receivers over to the right side, and a very simple concept. As Dalton Schultz said, this is like training camp, like day one install, John Metchi drives up and across. Nico goes vertical, and because Mechi had gone across, he took like three, like three guys went with him. I don't know why three guys went with him. The corner stayed with Nico. Dalton went out to the flat and Dalt's on the.
Speaker 1: Flat gone, hey, hey, hey, hey, CJ. I'm over here. Well that was not the first read.
Speaker 2: So CJ went through his reads and like Mechi, no, Nico, no Dalton, Oh my god, and then zip zipped it out to Dalton gets to the end zone. This would be the last touch of the day, gave to Texas a twenty three to six lead.
Speaker 1: This is the second part of number four.
Speaker 9: CJ.
Speaker 1: Stroud to Dalton Schultz.
Speaker 7: Third down and ten from the Jags twenty two yard line. Stroud shotgun one pack, daring bunch formation right.
Speaker 6: CJ takes the snap. Here's pressure Stroud flowing.
Speaker 1: To his right. He's got his man, Schultz. Five touchdown Houston. CJ to Schultz.
Speaker 7: And that's the second second half touchdown of this game.
Speaker 2: For all intents and purposes, at this point, the game was done. Yes, the Jaguars tacked on a couple of touchdowns to get it twenty three to twenty, but game was over at that point that Texas were able to hold on. But we'll get to a few more end of the game's sort of situations.
Speaker 3: But I'm goen.
Speaker 2: We go back to the first half for number three, and I'm just I just happened to be watching this particular route because I see Derek stingly press man against Bran Thomas Junior, and I'm like, oh, yeah, these are things I'd love to watch from field level, just man and man one on one and Thomas takes off and I'm like, I know stink can run, but I love when sting trails a little bit because he's just gauging.
Speaker 1: It's like he's ready to pounce.
Speaker 2: He takes a look up, sees where the ball is, he's where he is, looks back like he's managing all this. So as he's running, staying in phase with Brian Thomas Junior, Trevor Lawrence thought he had him, threw it deep.
Speaker 1: Derek Stingley goes up over the top and.
Speaker 2: Takes it away for his third interception of the year, and it comes in at number three.
Speaker 7: I'm third and eleven Lawrence in the gun, gets the snap. He's got a lot of time now. He throws long Dawnfield, got a man downfield, but it's intercepted by Derek Stinglee Junior running to his right thirty forty forty five fifty cutting to the left.
Speaker 1: Side of the field. That crossed a forty five.
Speaker 7: Yard out of the forty three as the hit is made by bigsby Derek Stinglee Junior with that takeaway.
Speaker 16: It's been a while, but now that's interception number three on the season for Stingley. Had a couple of his hands on a couple before this one in previous games. But that's what he does. He entices quarterbacks to throw over his head. But he's got closing speed and he knows exactly where he is in reference to the receiver and the football, and he can turn it on and close and finish.
Speaker 2: Close and finish is the exact right way to put exactly what Derek Stingley did right there at number three. I mean, just a tremendous play going up over the top to make that catch for a third interception of the year.
Speaker 1: Probably should have about six or seven at this point.
Speaker 2: I don't know why teams continue to try him, but they do and they're paying the price for it.
Speaker 1: And that was his third interception.
Speaker 2: Hopefullys putting together an all Pro year, worst case of Pro Bowl year. He definitely deserves it, no doubt. Okay, number two, number one. I went back and forth and I settled on this order. I'm not sure why. I think I know why. I'll tell you about it at number one, But at number two, to me is a five play drive when it's six to six. The Jaguars had kicked the field goal to start the second half after the Texans gone three and out start the second half, and kind of thought, son of a bee, here we go again.
Speaker 1: I can't do anything.
Speaker 2: Second half offense is just gonna go into hibernation again in the second half. But the Texas got the ball tied six to six. On the first down of this drive, they threw a screen and something looked weird about the screen. The ball then gets tipped. Savage dives for it. You can't get it, and I just remember thinking, man, that looks so ugly. God, can we get it going? And then all of a sudden it switched.
Speaker 3: The flip.
Speaker 2: The switch got flipped and four plays later, the Texans were in the end zone. First, it was a throw from CJ. Stroud to Nico Collins across the middle.
Speaker 7: Second and ten Texans from their thirty six to sixth game in the third, Stroud shotgun.
Speaker 1: Here's the snap, CJ firing.
Speaker 7: Over the middle, and he's got his man, Nico Collins, across the fifty to the forty seven yard line, and Nico is slow.
Speaker 1: To get up.
Speaker 6: He's hitting the head.
Speaker 3: Here's got hit in the back of the head, and.
Speaker 16: They may force him to the sideline is to get checked out.
Speaker 3: He's going on his own.
Speaker 7: Yeah, He's running off the field and Jared Wayne's gonna check in. Cisco had the hit on Collins, who's at the sideline holding his head. Twenty two yard play to the Jags forty eight yard line. Gotta move the football six to six, game, nine twenty five to.
Speaker 1: Go in the third. Then CJ found Dalton Schultz out in the right flat.
Speaker 2: Dalton leaped over a defensive back, got hammer by Traymon Walker. I'm laughing because Dalton's okay, but his post on Twitter afterwards was pretty awesome. It's from Hallidagan Night's the movie, which I love he talked about yep and his car's flying in the air, and that's what he Dalton felt when he was up in the air on this one.
Speaker 1: But he made the catch, ain't got a first down. It's the second play of this little four play run.
Speaker 7: Here's Stroud under center at the Jags forty eight first and ten CJ fakes.
Speaker 1: The Gibb throws back to his right.
Speaker 7: Shultz forty five hurdles a man across the forty first down.
Speaker 1: To the thirty seven yard line and he's down.
Speaker 3: He's slow to get up.
Speaker 16: Tried to hurtle someone and came right down on his shoulder, his shoulder and his neck, and boy, that is painful for.
Speaker 7: You're trying to make a play, Dre, but you sacrifice the body. And he's definitely holding his throat area as he gets up on his knees. And the medical team comes out to take a look, led by head athletic trader Roland Ramirez, and now we're looking at a replay.
Speaker 1: Boy.
Speaker 7: He hurdles Darby, but Darby gets hold of his left leg and he comes down hard, elbow and head on the ground as Pravon Walker got on top of him as he was coming down.
Speaker 2: Then it was time for Joe Mixon and the offensive line and the tight ends and the wide receivers, and I bring them all in because at various points in this game, the wide receivers and tight ends blocked their guts out, so they all always gets the recognition. But on this play, the old line did a tremendous job. On his zone play, Kate Stover hammered the backside with Laromy Tunsell. Joe cuts it back. The corner got in way too far. Joe cut outside of him. Thirty yards later, He's got the ball at the six yard line. It's the third part of number two first.
Speaker 7: Down at the thirty seven yard line of the Jags. Stroud under center, with Mixon in the backfield. Jagg's loading up the box. Here Dwayne short side right handoff Mixon starting right, cutting left thirty five thirty twenty five twenty to the left sideline and out of bounce inside the ten.
Speaker 1: First and goal Houston. Joe mixing his biggest run of the ten.
Speaker 16: Got all he could get, and with Darnelle Savage and a couple of other Jaguar defenders giving chase, he goes, well, I got all I can get. You got an angle, I'm just gonna step out of bounds right here. That's a nice run by Joe Mixon.
Speaker 7: Thirty yard run on the cutback, first and goal inside the seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, mark clarified at the seven, not quite the six, but either way, it was one more play and this time they didn't cut it back to the left.
Speaker 1: They just ran it to the left and they ran this beautifully.
Speaker 2: Larimy tons up on Ventrel Miller, Kate stole Over the great block on the edge.
Speaker 1: Juice on the inside.
Speaker 2: I mean, this play is blocked beautifully, and Joe Mixon sauntered in for a touchdown. They gave the Texans a thirteen to six lead, and it was just the second touchdown in the second half since the New England game. Man, this was awesome stuff from Joe Mixon, the offensive line, everybody involved in this one.
Speaker 1: To finish up number two.
Speaker 7: Stroud and the gun mix into his right, first and goal inside the seven, bunch formation right for the Texans.
Speaker 6: Stover in motion to left handoff, Joe running left.
Speaker 1: Across the five to the goal line. Touchdown Joston Joe Mixon. The Texans take the lead.
Speaker 7: And when they needed it most, there is the shot in the arm known as Joe mixon thirty yard run to set up first and goals seven yard run, Hello, end zone.
Speaker 2: So that leads me to number one. And I know you probably think in No. Eighty a second, I played both touchdowns. I mean I played pretty much every CJ. Stroud to Nico Collins pass. CJ to Nico, got the touchdown to Schultz, Like what haven't I played the finish? The finish of this game was maybe the most important thing because it brought back that Week one feeling of being in Indianapolis up to you got the ball, Can you keep your defense off the field?
Speaker 1: Yes? Can you get a first down and then maybe another first down? Yes? And yes.
Speaker 2: On these two runs, Joe Mixon stuck a stake in the ground and said, Nope, we're finishing this game. The defense is not going back on a field that was a weary entire defense, and the offensive line, the tight ends, Robert Woods and Joe Mixon made sure that this one was going to end with them in victory formation at number one. Joe Mixon's, well, we'll start number one at two parts number one, he gets his fourteen yard run for a first down to put the Jaguars in peril.
Speaker 1: I formation behind CJ. Stroud.
Speaker 7: Second and two from the Houston thirty. Here's Woods in motion to the left. CJ takes the snap handoff, Mixon running left, has a little hole thirty five forty left sideline and brought down at the forty.
Speaker 1: Four yard line.
Speaker 7: Joe Mixon Cisco with the hit, first down, run fourteen yards, reload.
Speaker 2: And then needing five yards to shut it down completely. Texas handed to Joe three tight ends on the field. Full back in the backfield Kate.
Speaker 1: Stover old school pro.
Speaker 2: I just run lead sown to the left side and go finish it. And that's what they did. And this is the second part of number one.
Speaker 1: As CJ will get up to the line of scrimmage I formation.
Speaker 7: Third down and five across the Houston forty nine yard line. Mixon the tailback. Here's the toss to Joe running left, has room. He's got it across the forty two to the forty one.
Speaker 1: That's gonna do it.
Speaker 7: The tech he says, we'll kill the clock and they will beat Jacksonville today. Toss to Joe Mixon, got the blocks, got the run, got the first down, and got the.
Speaker 2: W tremendous stuff, tremendous UL three eleven, and man, what a fun, fun.
Speaker 1: Show it's been to put together, even on a bye week.
Speaker 2: Appreciate everybody that was involved on my guys back at Sports Radio six ten.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: We'll see you on Monday as we gear up for the Miami Dolphins in the final stretch of the twenty twenty four season.
Speaker 1: Seeing that everybody, and as always, go Texans.
Speaker 7: Hello Texans, Welcome to the Bonus Hour, the weekly Bonus Hour of Texans Radio. Here Friday night, eight o'clock. We huddle together. If you're listening to this on a podcast later on, well we appreciate that as well. But we've got a lot to get to tonight because it's been a busy night already. You already heard from Nick Cassario, Jamiko, Ryan's, numerous coaches, players, all of it in the first couple of hours. It's bye week, so we're sort of reviewing some of our content. Obviously, we talked a lot this week about the suspension and everything else. Look back to it on Monday when this team gets back to work and prepares for the Miami Dolphins in those three games that they have in eleven days. It is gonna be huge coming up starting Monday, and it's all gonna go very fast from there, the final four games of the season and then the postseason. But you're not there yet, you haven't clinched.
Speaker 1: You gotta do it.
Speaker 7: The Colts they can't help you this weekend because they have a bye as well.
Speaker 1: That's the fact.
Speaker 7: So Texans and Colts they do a lot of things together, Like they'll always play the same NFC Division teams on the road in the same year. So the Colts went to Green Bay already those kinds of things. They went to Minnesota and they relived the blown lead of what was that last year? My gosh, it seems like a lot longer ago than that, but that's the case.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 7: In this hour, we'll hear from David Fletcher, later general manager of the Kinders Texas Bowl. But first Andre War at Indy Kalou. They're on every week Exans Monday. Indeed does the preseason color commentary, Andrey does you know what Andrey does? He does color commentary and the Texans radio network. He's got a game tomorrow, I think is the MAC Championship in Detroit. Anyway, we had a lengthy visit went over a bunch of things regarding the Texans, regarding their lives, a whole bunch of other stuff. We are going to jump in mid conversation, and we were talking about, of all things, the Dallas Cowboys when they used to do that offensive line up and down move. We were talking about old school football stuff. We were talking about coaches like bum Phillips and Don Schulette and the branding of those guys, Tom Lantry. So we started off with that Dallas part of the conversation. Remember they used to do in the offensive lineman up and down before the snap. Why don't any Why doesn't anybody do that anymore?
Speaker 3: I don't know's it used to look sweet as all get up. Yeah, it really loved it.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 16: It was kind of emulated in the in the you playing sandline football, grass live football, whatever.
Speaker 3: You want to call it. We do it on the street as well.
Speaker 16: And if play the game where if you get close to the grass, that's when you can hit a guy. Yes, you never go towards the sideline because that's when they can unload on you.
Speaker 3: But it was that was just sweet. I bet it's creative it was sweet.
Speaker 16: It was They were the first to really use, uh start using really technology to help in scouting players and things of that sort, and you know, streamlining a lot of it.
Speaker 7: I got to say that that era of football coaches had brand identity.
Speaker 1: Bum Phillips.
Speaker 7: Bum Phillips was his own brand, Tom, his own brand, Chuck Nole, you know these guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was exactly right.
Speaker 7: Don Shula his face is a logo. I mean it's one of those guys, right. His grandson, Chris Shula is the defensive coordinator for the Rams, and they were here for practice this summer and he kind of has that Shula face, you know, those those jaws, the same way with a hat exactly, Paul Brown, Lombardi. And remember when Mike Nolan wanted to wear a tie when he was head coach of the forty nine ers and they actually let him do it because his dad did it.
Speaker 6: And there should be more of that. I like Demiko with the red dry fit.
Speaker 16: He usually wears the red coach at at Minnesota pj F College.
Speaker 3: He wears a time like.
Speaker 7: See that's good, Harball as the Michigan coach kind of had that brand look.
Speaker 16: Was in his mind you know, thought he was resurrect and yeah, something he just started to look like him, dressed like him, had that academic like everything.
Speaker 1: It was crazy.
Speaker 17: Yeah, the Belichick was probably the last one with that brand. With the cutoff sweatshirt. Yeah, the hoodie, Yeah, the hoodie and the cut off sleeves.
Speaker 7: And now it feels like the league makes them all wear the same thing on Sundays. It feels like it's just you know, but Demiko, I like the red dry fit. See, I'm gonna tell the equipment guys here. I'm gonna tell Darwin he should always have red. Okay, that's that's what we should lobby for.
Speaker 3: He always has no.
Speaker 1: But he some games.
Speaker 6: I think he was wearing the salute to service.
Speaker 16: I wonder is one of those closer attention to this. Yeah you wear red until you get beat.
Speaker 3: Yeah you beat again, you switch back.
Speaker 7: Yeah, don't mess with a winning street. But question for both of you guys, because you know we're just here talking all right, this is the Players Show, but no player availability this week. So we've got a former player andre Ware and any Kalou of course, but you guys, as former players, both of you have this in common. You've built great careers after playing NFL football, right, great careers and different careers. All right, Dre obviously great broadcaster. I know you have other interests too, You're not going to talk about them, and I know you have other things going on. You got other irons in the fire or whatever. Yeah, but anyway, what does that take? And why don't more guys set themselves up better for post play? It's difficult because I know you have to pour yourself into your pro football career. But as we all know, no matter what age you retire, even Tom Brader, you're still a pretty young man relatively. I mean he might be on you know, the oldest one, but most guys are in their thirties at best. If you're in your thirties, hell, you've had a tremendous career. When you retire, what does it take?
Speaker 17: Well, the reason why a lot of guys don't prepare themselves and you know their blessing is their curse. You have to be a little bit detached from reality to make it to the NFL. You have to have a mindset where most average people are the common person are going to be like, man, he's crazy. You know, how's this kid from Dickinson think he's gonna win the Heisman when he goes to you of age. But you have to have that unrealistic mindset just to make it to the NFL. And I also think that hurts you because while you're in the NFL, you're thinking, oh, I'm going to sign three more contracts, I'm gonna sign the one hundred million dollar deal, and I don't really have to worry about life after football because you feel like you're gonna be great and that's what got you there. But it's tough to throw in being real with yourself. So for me, I can't speak for anybody else, and everyone has a different story. Being an undersized fifth round pick from Rice. I even go in, as stupid as it may sound, I went into the NFL thinking I'm going to be a Hall of Famer. You know, we can laugh about it now, but I really thought I was gonna be a Hall of Famer. Yeah, yeah, that's the mentality. And after a while, I said, Okay, you know what reality hit after like year five or six. You know, I want to play as long as I can, but I also want to make sure when I'm done playing, I don't have to work for anybody. So then that's when I started, you know, when got my real estate license and became a broker in the off season and started buying apartments houses. I still thought I could be great, but I just knew that the end was gonna come. But with some of these players, especially the ones that start early on, you know, they're not thinking about what am I going to do in ten years. Their thought is I'm going to sign three four deals, be set for life and not have to worry about life after football. And I understand it because I was there. But at some point you do have to start thinking about life after and it's never easy. Even when I had things set up when I was done in two thousand and nine, it still took a couple of years to accept the fact that I wasn't a football player anymore.
Speaker 16: It's a great way to put it because I'm jotting down some notes and the one thing I think a lot of players miss when they are drafted, when and family members really miss this that are around a player after he's drafted and he's in the NFL, that it's never your decision when it's over. Everybody goes into it thinking I'm going to retire at this age and do it. I think you got this beautiful picture mapped out, and it's never your decision when it's over with, And it can be over as early as after high school. It can be over after you're done in college, or you're lucky and you get to play x amount of years in the NFL. But at some point somebody's going to say you're not good enough. And guys have a hard time accepting that. Then you got to be real with yourself when it's over, and they keep chasing it for a while, or keep trying to live the same lifestyle they live when they were playing, And there's a lifestyle you have to live when you're playing to know that you're setting yourself up for later on in life.
Speaker 3: You're not spending it. You're not you know, the guy that's buying the bottle.
Speaker 16: Every bottle service every time you guys go out and have a good time, or you're you know, you're taking care of the bill. Every money runs out. You can spend it making millions, you can run. It can run out on you.
Speaker 6: What's the percentage of lottery winners who go bankrupt?
Speaker 3: It's winners.
Speaker 16: And then you got to you gotta get into something that you're passionate about, that you really you really love to do, and it's not a lot of guys find themselves chasing what they used to make and that can get you in a lot of trouble as well. You start chasing money. Yeah, you got to have taken carry yourself on the front end while you're playing. That gives you the opportunity to really hand pick what you want to do in your next career and then from there you find something that you're passionate about.
Speaker 17: I'll say this, there's a lot of positive and successful examples, but you know, we tend to focus on the negatives, and a lot of the guys that I know who are having success post playing career, they're not the biggest names, so they kind of, you know, had my mentality.
Speaker 16: But it's kind of like the guys that you played with in college. The stars aren't the ones that are necessarily go on to do X, Y and Z and run corporations exactly and become doctors.
Speaker 3: It's the walkomeicker guys played.
Speaker 16: They're the most successful, more successful in terms of the life or lifestyles that that were on the call on your teams in.
Speaker 7: College, and often coaches are like that too. Not all the time, but that often happens. Dray, how did you know? How did you because you handled yourself well? How did you know how to handle yourself as far as being a pro and then transitioning into not being a professional athlete anymore and building your life.
Speaker 16: I think it just goes back to how you were raised. There's there's an arrogance that can come with playing professional sports that you have to get over once it's once it's once you're done. I've seen guys that have acted like a holes while they were playing, and then all of a sudden they need to get into a certain industry and people remember how you acted when you were playing. So I just respect everybody, and that's how I did it along the way, when you're at your highest peak, and as you're transitioning, you you're the same way, And I would say, just be consistent and the way you treat people so that doors will open for you. Because you were in d Kalu or Mark Vandermer, this awesome quarterback that played X amount of years. Oh heck, yeah, he's trying to transition into what we're doing. Yeah, that is a little bit easier to open, and you can kind of handpick which one you want to go through. But if you're the a hole, those doors don't open nearly as fast. Yeah, I mean yeah, people remember, they remember interactions. Will I will meet somebody in my weekly travels that I've met fifteen twenty years ago, and I took a picture with their daughter and spent time. But you know, I knew the car was getting ready to leave and you were in a hurry, but you you took the time to take this picture with my daughter. They show it to you and they're appreciative of it. And so that's that's kind of an example of if you needed that guy, you don't treat everybody the same because you don't know when you're gonna need somebody.
Speaker 7: It's got to be tough, though. When you guys were players and people want a picture.
Speaker 16: Or a crap, I signed every one of them if I could, because one some day they're gonna stop asking. Yeah, And that's that's kind of how how I tell my so is, well, why do you sign all of them? And this that because one day they won't ask, but you want to keep them asking. But the fastest way they won't ask is to say no, and then that starts to spread itself around.
Speaker 3: And all the way to the internet and all that Now that gets spread pretty quick.
Speaker 7: And dy Kalu and Andre Ware visiting on Texans Radio this week, and we're gonna have more of that conversation coming up, including stuff about the booth, stuff about Andre's high school career. Why did he choose football? He was drafted in baseball as well, also played basketball. Are all the kids playing three sports these days? No, most of them are not. We'll talk about all that stuff. It's coming up here on Texans Radio. Great to have you listening tonight to the Bonus hour of Texans Radio Friday night, eight o'clock hour. We go over some of the best content of the week and Andre Wear and dy Kloud's visit outstanding. Let's continue with some of that conversation with going back to Dickinson High School. Andre's high school career, drafted in baseball, played basketball.
Speaker 1: Obviously played a little football. Let's dig it.
Speaker 3: Mark wants to go way back. He was to go way back.
Speaker 7: Because I love these stories because, uh, Dickinson High School and you played for dub Ferris, that was your coach and when we did the morning show together from seven through oh nine, which, man, as I say that, it sounds like a long time ago down Dre, Oh my gosh, but it feels like ten minutes ago that we did that.
Speaker 3: Show eighteen years ago. Man, that's holy crap. And I remember listening to you everything. Yeah, that flies by you, but you you.
Speaker 7: Would impart and it was great. And I gotta say this, Dre was an excellent morning host. Excellent.
Speaker 3: So once I learned how to wake up, once you learned how to drink.
Speaker 6: Once I once I corrupted you with coffee, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Still drinking it to this. Sorry twenty something years later.
Speaker 7: Sorry, that's sorry, but I'm not I'm not just saying this because you're here. I just think that people got to know a different side of you, right, you know, they knew you as the Heisman Trophy winner, NFL guy broadcaster, great, great game broadcaster, national TV, Texans Radio great, but just being able to tell stories, you know, sit there for four hours a day and tell stories and Dub Ferris, your high school coach playing at Dickinson, the Gators, all that stuff. There were people calling and who remembered you from those days.
Speaker 1: But what would those.
Speaker 7: Days like playing high school ball there and Dickinson. They've kind of improved the facility since just a little bit, just.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 16: No, it's it's fabulous and Dickinson will always be home for me. It's why, like I don't understand how guys transferred so much in college, because where do you call home, you know, after you played in eight places or however many they're playing now.
Speaker 3: But it's a special place for me.
Speaker 16: I got the chance to go to breakfast last week with Coach Ferris, and he and Miss Ferris, and we were in San Antonio, had a game that night, and we sat down and got I wish we had more time, you know. It was just one of those where I had a late morning zoom production meeting for the game that night and had had to zoom or get.
Speaker 3: Out of there.
Speaker 16: But he is as passionate about the game of football as as he's ever was. I wish that every young man that puts a helmet on will have the relationship that I have with my high school coach, because it's a special one in a sense that when I was young, he became kind of my father figure and he calls me his son.
Speaker 3: Now and I call him Dad and things of that sort.
Speaker 16: It's a deep relationship that you know, my father passed when I was six years old, So I learned a lot in a short period of time from him. From the time I met him in seventh grade, he had my attention. We came in as freshman and he sits us down on this mat where I've seen numerous guys throw up from off season workouts, and he tells me, tells all of us, it's either my way or I'm going to get you out of here, and if you want to play, you adapt. And I wish things were that more so that way. In today world you can't even talk to kids like that, And nowadays he'd run.
Speaker 3: You off for ear rings and things of that sort.
Speaker 16: And it was just he I think he's I forget the number that he told me in his first class that he had there, but by the time it may have been seventy something players, and by the time they got out of camp and offseason and he had twenty two. They went both ways and they were competitive, but that's the individual he was. So a lot of how I am is because of how he was and how I got it from him.
Speaker 3: He was tough.
Speaker 16: That's the way I coached. But he was fair and he always let you know up front what his expectations were. And so when coaches coached that way and they tell you and they're honest with you, and they're upfront with you, you can deal with it because now you know. Now I've got the blueprint, I know what I need to go do. But when you're dishonest, that's when players don't trust you and you have a lot of animosity in the locker room. But that was never that way for me, Dickinson. The way things turned out, I would not change one thing about how I grew up, how I played, how we won our lost games. It was an experience and I think you win, you gain more from losing, and you learn more from losing than you ever will winning because you won't change if you're winning.
Speaker 3: You know what's interesting.
Speaker 17: I'm on the outside looking in, but my sons have played against Dickinson, and I believe this started with your coach. The culture he said, I've left every time we've played Dickinson. It's been multiple times, thinking, God, dog, they're physical, they play hard, they play hard, they're physical, and they battle and as you're telling this story, I'm thinking, I bet you that's where it started.
Speaker 16: And he created that film the kind of laid the groundwork for that stuff. Coach Nelson is and here very close to this day as well. Coach Nelson I think is the head of the High School Coaches Association and they meet in San Antonio, I think every year. But you know, it's one of those things where if you go down there to play a game, you're gonna know you played in the football game. And they're they're a little bigger and faster than we were. But we were small, quick and tough, and that was that was how we played.
Speaker 7: So you played baseball, you played basketball too, right, and so you played all three sports.
Speaker 6: And ran track and ran track.
Speaker 3: So I would I would run a track meet on a Saturday morning and then that night go pitch. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 16: And it's it's crazy in today's world with all this. You know, you got to specialize in this specialization where you got to get down to one sport and that's the only one that you should.
Speaker 3: You should play.
Speaker 16: Every sport helps the other. Track helps with football, that's where you gain your speed. Basketball helps with hand and eye coordination, all of that stuff. So it's it's uh, I think it's a it's you're doing kids a disservice by not allowing them to play everything. And then you get to high school you figure out which one or two that that you want to play or if you want to keep doing what I did and played all play all.
Speaker 2: Four do it?
Speaker 7: Wow, well baseball you were really good at baseball and you were drafted.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so take us through that. How baseball worked for you getting drafted and you didn't consider it.
Speaker 16: I didn't even consider it because my mom said, hey, you're going to college. And it was a non it was a it was non negotiable. But I could throw it back. Then I could pitch. I played in the district that had really talented players in it. Randy Pryor went off to A and m Kirk dressing door for ended up in the A's rotation and when we played Parland, both of them played at Periland High School. When we played them, it was it was it was packed and a lot of scouts there. I remember the scout from the Dodgers at the time telling me that I'd run the fastest time from home to first that he that he timed at that point, and so baseball was my grandfather. If he God bless his soul, he would tell you to this day that he thought it would be baseball that I would play professionally.
Speaker 3: Not football.
Speaker 16: And I think football became one of those things where I wanted to play quarterback. I knew that it didn't have a long life, my lifeline, but I wanted to play it anyway. And so when I was a youngster in seventh grade, I loud talked my way into basically a tryout outside the coach's office. I said, God, I wish he would let me play quarterback, just to give me a shot.
Speaker 3: And he heard me.
Speaker 16: Coach Holmes heard me, and so the next day at practice he asked me to stay after and I was just like, oh damn, he's getting ready.
Speaker 3: He heard me.
Speaker 16: He's getting ready to run me to death. He just wanted to see me throw. And after that he moved me to quarterback. That was kind of the really yeah, But I was set to play at U of H. I broke my arm my freshman year, so obviously I had to get I was there to play football. I had to get my spot back and went through the spring rather than playing baseball that spring.
Speaker 17: Let me ask you that. Obviously, we grew up in two different areas. I grew up in San Antonio, you're in Dickinson. But like you, I'm a multiple sport guy, track basketball, but baseball was never even on my radar, So like, how was it introduced to you? And you know, I don't want to make this controversial bit. I always loved it.
Speaker 16: We played what was it stickball or whatever with a tennis ball and a bat and growing up and I loved it so much that I would talk guys into playing me two on one where you had one base and I tried. You know, if I got them out, I would bat. You know, I would never get out because they couldn't catch me. And it just became a love when I was For me at about the age of eight, when I started playing, and my grandparents would take me to games for practice, I had two coaches that would pick me up. Jim and Matt Baker were my little league baseball coaches. My second year, they moved me up. We had a it was a tear system, the American Texas and National League. I went from the American League playing my first year on the machine to the National League where you just skip right over the league and you're you're in the best of the best. And I played in that league for three straight years. That's where my taste for baseball all came from. And they would put me on the back of a truck, pick me up, take me to practice, put me on that same truck, bring me back home. I jump off, thank them, and do the same thing the next day. And so that's why to this day, if kids need a ride that play for me, I what's it called, I reciprocate, I pay it forward, I go back and uh and hopefully they will do the same thing for some kid once they become coaches or they're influential in a kid's life. But that's how that's why I do it, and that's why I do some of the things I do for the kids that play for.
Speaker 3: You brought up a memory we don't see.
Speaker 17: I used to have a coach, Coach Washington, pick us up for a track and we had like eight people in the back of a pickup going across town.
Speaker 3: And we don't even think about it, but I've that you get a big ticket as long as you put together. If somebody's riding in the back.
Speaker 17: But it was so normal back then, like people literally there'll be like eight of us in the back of a pick up, not even thinking what you're doing.
Speaker 16: All the time a truck and let's go to Galveston. We jump in the back. You're riding next to us, a police.
Speaker 3: Officer way back and keep going.
Speaker 17: So I wonder when, I wonder when I'll google this after the show when it became a law that you couldn't do it, because that was just the norm. It was like, Oh, I got to pick up so I could take ten people. Okay, eight of y'all are fitting.
Speaker 3: In the back.
Speaker 6: I don't think I put on a seatbelt till I was twenty five.
Speaker 3: You know, I probably still.
Speaker 16: My son is reminded me that, yeah, yeah, And I know I know exactly how many times it will do it and how long it actually does it ten seconds and then once it stops, it'll it's ten seconds off. Then it'll come back. After about four times of that, it's it'll shut off. So I just have to get through the first four four deans.
Speaker 7: Now I feel naked without it, though, it's like I gotta put it out. I don't know, it's strange.
Speaker 17: Well, we talked about dre playing baseball. Mark, have you ever called baseball games?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 17: I have when I for me and I became a big baseball fan maybe eight years ago when I had my radio show and I read Joe Morgan's book Baseball for Dummies, And once I learned about the games within the game, I really appreciated it.
Speaker 6: So you tell me you're an Astros front runner.
Speaker 2: Big.
Speaker 17: So when I listened to the games on the radio, I love how they're just literally having a conversation, like, really, is it tougher?
Speaker 3: Is it easier calling baseball versus football?
Speaker 6: I think it's a lot harder in many ways. I love calling a lot.
Speaker 3: Of field time, a lot of film between pitches, between that bats.
Speaker 6: I've never done Major League.
Speaker 7: Okay, I did the Hurricanes. We won the National Championship in O one. I was able to call those games. And college is different because it feels like every count goes full, you know, and the plink of the aluminum bat. It's not as romantic a radio sport as Major League Baseball. The wooden bat, the sound of the wooden bat versus plink of the aluminum bat just changes the dynamics of that being a radio sport. Now, you're right, it is a big conversation and a lot of nothing happens, but then all of a sudden, all hell breaks loose. Baseball's where all of a sudden, the ball's over here, and it's the one sport where as the announcer you have to take your eye off the ball. Every other sport that I call, you cannot take.
Speaker 1: Your eye off the ball. But baseball you have to look who's rounding third?
Speaker 7: Here comes the throw? Are they gonna you know, you have to look at what's happening with the dynamics. And it's it's weird for me because I didn't grow up playing it or watching it. So a long story there, so it's not for a lot of guys. It's part of their DNA. It's really the Shakespeare of radio sports.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is a.
Speaker 6: Great radio sports storyte Yeah, but I love Andy.
Speaker 7: There's nothing like being on the air with this guy on a Sunday afternoon, and it's just it feels like.
Speaker 16: War, you know.
Speaker 7: There it is, it's the battle and everything is fever pitch, Oh my gosh, lives hang in the balance.
Speaker 1: It's huge.
Speaker 7: I can't shake that feeling it's too big to ignore, you know, and even though we only get to do twenty of them a year, plus playoffs preferably, it just feels like there's no way I would drop that. There's no way I would let the event of the NFL Weekly game go away.
Speaker 6: It's just too big, it's too good.
Speaker 17: I think I've told you this before, Mark, but I haven't told Andre. And we all know teenagers are in their own world. But one day we're driving back, so we're listening to y'all during the Texan game, and my teenage son said, man, just out of the blue, Man, they do a good job. I feel like I'm seeing the game.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 17: And I said, oh wow, like you actually said something profound. Yeah, exactly, exactly. Appreciate that, no doubt, because you know it. In radio, all you're trying to do is paint the picture. Yeah, And it's the why it happened. From my aspect, He's the setup guy, and I'm there to tell why certain things happen and when they happen. And it's been a great twenty three year crush between us and I look forward to another. You canna be around twenty three more years.
Speaker 7: Hell, yeah, wheel, I'm going I'm going out on a gurney.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I'm gonna need one of those little things with wheels and to give me to give me to the elevator.
Speaker 7: I like it it to like, I'll tell you what's going on, and then Trey's just gonna fill in all the Like if it's a painting, I'm just got I got the pencil, sketch and he's gonna paint brush all the colors in there and make it pretty and tell you, you know, show you exactly how it is.
Speaker 6: And uh, and that's our goal, you know.
Speaker 7: But we've always I think we had chemistry from the very beginning, and it's only you know, it's years that we're like an old married couple.
Speaker 1: Now it's like I know, okay, you go ahead, I'll go ahead. It's just it's a great way.
Speaker 3: Every blue moon, I'll step on it.
Speaker 16: But I knew right away that to kind of stay in my lane, you know, fig figure out his voice inflections and when he's wrapping up. And that's the thing about a relationship like like this and working with a guy for a long time, you got to kind of figure out what he does, what he likes to do when he's gonna rap his thoughts before you get dive right in and a lot of guys get excited and caught up in the game, and all of a sudden you hear him stepping on each other all the time. But we've never had really had that problem. I've done it in excite out of excitement a couple of times.
Speaker 7: But I do like it when he adds something though, like that, like put them back of the trunk last right around this, Remember, I mean, it's good, It's good here Dred the very first touchdown in Texans history, David Carter, Billy Miller.
Speaker 6: You hear Dre goo like he just he does.
Speaker 7: He makes a sound, and there's something beautiful about that, like the emotion of it. And this week Mixing runs for the first down and Dre's like ball gape and it's just perfect, you know, that little that little accent. You know, it's just I look at the aesthetics of this whole thing. Anyway, All right, there it is some of our conversation with Indy Kalu and Andre where this week now David Fletcher, general manager of the Kinders Texas Bowl, coming up, talking about the new sponsor and everything else bowl wise, because it's happening on New Year's Eve. You don't want to miss that. It's going to be a daytime game on New Year's Eve. They'll give you all the details. It's coming up next on Texans All Access. The final segment of the show is about football, but it's college football, not the Texans who are on a pie, of course, but something very Texans related. Because the Texas Bowl has been such a great thing over the years, one of the best bowls out there that I guess we used to say the highest attended non BCS bowl. There are all these other statistics relaying how successful this Bowl has been, and this Bowl has constantly been recognized as having the best Bowl Week event the Rodeo Bowl. Anyway, why am I talking about it? David Fletcher, general manager of the Bowl for a long time now, visited with John Harris this week and they talked about the new sponsor. It's the Kinders Texas Bowl right now. What's Kinders about?
Speaker 1: What is the bull likely to have this year?
Speaker 7: Well, you're gonna find out on Sunday afternoon. David Fletcher will tell you all about that.
Speaker 18: We have spent a lot of time this year with our partners at ESPN in trying to find since since Tax Act moved on. And so you can officially introduce as the executive director of the Kinders Texas Bowl. Very excited to welcome Kinders, one of the leading sauce and seasoning companies in the United States, as our new title sponsor, officially announced today. And boy, Johnny, I cannot think of a better complimentary partner.
Speaker 3: Than partner. But just like the.
Speaker 18: Idea of tailgating and food and the passion that runs deep for football and food in this city, and to have a premium brand like Kinders that can enhance that experience out here come December thirty first and beyond, this's gonna be a lot of fun fletch.
Speaker 2: So you and I haven't had a chance to talk because we've been kind of, you know, missiles in the night.
Speaker 1: We're all over the place. And it was on Tuesday when Nikossari was doing his press conference.
Speaker 2: I looked over on the far side and I could see these big black canisters.
Speaker 1: They look like the buckets you get from like home Depot that you do work with.
Speaker 2: And I look over there and I'm like, I can't I can't tell I didn't want to go walking over there, and I'm like, what are these buckets? Well, then we had Nick coming studio for his interview, went back out of the buckets were gone.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, dang, I wonder what that was.
Speaker 2: And then I saw this little card sitting on one of the tables and it just sat on behalf of the Texas Bowl. Lon Star Sports Entertainment and ESPN Events, we are thrilled to announce Kinders as the new title sponsor of the twenty twenty four Kinders Texas Bowl. And I was like, Oh, that's what that was and it was black bands. So first of all, hey, can I get one of those black bands because I got a feeling that they're probably filled with seasonings and rubs and everything that Kinders has.
Speaker 1: Two, how did this come about?
Speaker 2: Because I'm always I'm always intrigued, you know, I am about coming of the Bull process, everything that goes with the bull, the bull swag, all that kind of stuff. You know, I'm always intrigued with this tax had Tax Act had been the sponsor for a couple of years. We've had Academy for a couple of years. Now Kinders gets on board. How did this all kind of come to be if you will.
Speaker 18: Yeah, well let me answer your first question absolutely, Yes, buckets for you and buckets for many.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 18: Look, the this is a really unique and a really fun opportunity to be a part of. From from our chair, you know, we worked with our partners at ESPN to really try and find a fit around our Texas Bowl entitlement that just enhanced the experience for everybody involved. And as I mentioned in the outset, the passion that Kinders has for food seventy five years of making the best and spices out there is something that is very evident and will be very complementary to the experience that you see around college football. For Kinders, this is a really unique opportunity for them. A major sauce and seasoning brand, really a challenger brand that's built an incredible base of loyal and passionate followers, the number two brand in the country in sauces and seasoning. So they're looking to continue to grow and this is their first major national sponsorship. They're targeting college football, and with good reason. We know how important tailgating is to that culture. We know how important is to whether you're homegating or tailgating. You want your game day to be at the top, and having a partner like Kinders that can help enhance that experience is something that's gonna be really cool. College football is where they're going, and you saw it as part of the announcement. They are also the official sauce and seasoning of the College Football Playoff. They're working on a significant and have a significant media profile multimedia rights deal with ESPN as.
Speaker 3: Part of this relationship.
Speaker 18: So as this was all coming together, you got a real opportunity to to work with a brand that's creative, that's innovative, that's trying to you know, build their niche, trying to grow them their their brand, and using the platforms of college football some big ones at that to do it.
Speaker 3: We're really excited.
Speaker 18: This is a multi year relationship and it's one that you know, we're just beginning, but it's one that we already feel will will really, as I said, create a complementary experience, an enhanced experience for fans at our game and at college football tailgates all throughout the next few seasons.
Speaker 1: I like that we're homegating too. Was good and I've not heard that before. That's pretty good.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 2: Stuff over here, Executive director of the Kinders Texas Pol David Fletcher here with me, fletch. The title sponsor is obviously it was a big deal. I mean and I talked and probably a couple weeks ago and to say, hey man, let's get out talk some college football and goes and you told me, well, we got the announcement coming up, I think for a title sponsor. So let's wait a couple of weeks. You were dead on it happens this week. Congratulations for that. But you also announced that there's more stuff that's happening with the Bowl game in and around music concerts. Because one of the things that I love about what you've done with the Bowl is you've made it more than just the sixty minute football game. And you know how I am a football Oh yeah, you know, I love about six minut football all the other stuff. Kind of like all right, but you've put so much into the events that go into the Kinders Texas Bowl. What do you have for the fans that you can announce and give to us right here on top of giving us the Kinders texta Bowl announcement?
Speaker 6: Well, ball week is always fun for the teams.
Speaker 18: It's fun for the administrators, a true celebration of a college football that is bowl season, and each of the each of the different bowls try and find their unique angles summer private, summer public. You know, we'll certainly put our Bowl Week up against anybody's in the country and as one of the best, and rightfully so. College football is so important to this community. Houston one of the premier destinations. But it's not just about football. It's about showcasing Houston, showcasing what it's like to be a Houstonian. And we've got an incredible melding of cultures and different elements that make Houston so unique, the most diverse community America, and we try and highlight those. We reach back to the Western heritage with our Rodeo Bowl, which is a private event, but it's one of the premier events in the country. It's been named multiple times the best Bowl Week event in the country, and that's very much in part to our partnership with the Houston Livestock Show in Rodeo, which knows a thing or two about putting on a rodeo, and that event has really become a signature and a staple each and every week, but as you look to some of the other events that we do, community is a big part of what we're doing.
Speaker 3: Community impact.
Speaker 18: We work with the Pelching Children Center throughout the year and supporting their efforts as the largest children's charity here I'm sorry, the oldest children's charity here in Houston and the largest provider of foster and adoptive services in the state of Texas. And there are many, many Bull Week interactions and events that the players, the coaches get to have with the kids and the families of that organization. But when it comes to having fun, Look, this game's on New Year's Eve. It's a day game, which we're really excited about. The night before we've got we announced yesterday Tyler Farr is headlining our car Bock kickoff concert presented by Kroger. Free concert for all fans that want to come out and just experience Bowl Week and come out and do it with some great Texas music, some great food over at the Rustic Downtown. You can get your tickets free tickets for that event at Kinderstexas Bowl dot com. And there is this little thing about Game Day, right, we have an event. We have a big weekend ahead with selections Sunday coming up, and game day out here is going to be spectacular. The Who's the Brothers are going to headline uh Carbock Love Street Text Fest on on Tuesday morning. Game days at the kick is at two thirty Central times, so we have a real opportunity for this community and for people traveling in. You know, if you want to start your New Year's Eve and have a great night, no better place if you're a college football fan than to do it right here with a two thirty kick. If this is what you want to do for New Year's Day, and there are a lot of families, a lot of people that you know, hey, we'll let the well, we'll let We'll let the partygoers go out and have their fun.
Speaker 1: Come out here, have a great time, you get your your day started right.
Speaker 18: And all of those opportunities will be available starting on Sunday when we go on sale with tickets Kinderstexas Bowl dot com. And when we do that, Johnny, we will shortly thereafter announce who's going to be playing in the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's get to that a little bit.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 1: I have what I want to see in the game.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you probably have what you'd like to see in the game, and I don't want you to say that, and I might say mine later on. I know I don't want you because coming from the executive director of the game, it's a little different if you're like, hey, I want this. But first of all, to clarify, as it pertains the choices, you pick the Big twelve school, that's right, and the SEC comes from that comes from the SEC ESPN side.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: Okay, So how much as you're watching this college football playoff? How much of that is impacting you? For example, if there are three SEC schools versus four, does that impact what could happen in the game? Or at that point is it not as important how many are getting in the college football playoff?
Speaker 1: Because it looks like the Big twelve probably getting one.
Speaker 2: So I would imagine you're probably gonna have a nice little choice for your game. How do you kind of look at this comor football playoff and how does that play a role in in the Kinders Texas Bowl.
Speaker 18: Well, we're learning, I mean this is the first, this is the first we're to go. We're building the plane as it flies. But in all honesty, you know, it starts with our conference partners. You mentioned a Big Twelve and SEC, two elite conferences geographically relevant. It's helped this game be a huge part of the college football calendar and the events calendar, not only here in Houston but around the country for over a decade now. We're very excited to have that relationship continuing this year and to have an opportunity to look at who from those two elite conferences is going to be able to play in our game come New Year's eve Day. When you look at the College Football Playoff, obviously the expansion this year is a new element that we're all looking at as it relates to bowlseason. I think as you look at the two conferences that we are aligned with, the Big Twelve in the SEC, certainly have an eye on how those conference championship games go this way weekend. But but ultimately both of those have tremendous programs that have that have played at a high level this year.
Speaker 3: So when we look at what might be available and what.
Speaker 18: Might be the case for our matchup come New Year's eve Day, we love the options that are sitting out there. I mean, there's just so much good football in both conferences. You know, obviously there is a lot of transition. There are a lot of elements that people talk about, nil transfer, portal, you know, coaching changes that all impact those elements.
Speaker 3: Look at it.
Speaker 18: The two conference partners we have both have many teams that performed at an elite level this year. Both have a number of opportunities for us that are geographically relevant. And when we look at the pool that we might have here, can't be anything but excited about what what could possibly come to us coming of the New Year's eve Day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there there are some there are some really nice options.
Speaker 2: As I started looking at it, each and every week I write for for l s C newsletter and it gets sent out, and at the very end the last probably two three weeks, I started I bring back in the options, like, okay, are these are the teams? And as I started putting on the teams of like, oh, that team could look really good. I mean even as crazy as an SEC team like Florida. But I know Florida, they're probably more set with you know, a Bowl over Florida. But Florida's got a quarterback from Willis like right here just outside the city of Houston.
Speaker 1: So it's like, man, there might be a draw with that.
Speaker 2: So it's even if it's not geographically you know, a Texas Tech or a TCU or an Arkansas or what Oklahoma or.
Speaker 1: Whatever it could be, which it could very well be, could be any of those.
Speaker 2: But even if it's like you know, like I said of Florida, Man, you get DJ Langway in here, a guy from just outside of Houston. So there's gonna be a connection in some way, shape or form, which I can't wait to see how it all gets put together. You mentioned a couple of times Fletch game gets moved to December thirty, first two thirty kickoff, and that obviously is a big day in college football. Again, I mean, it's a massive day in college football.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about a and I'm trying to remember, is this the first time that has been played during the day?
Speaker 1: And how do you feel about that? Just for the game itself, for that event itself being at two thirty, we're thrilled.
Speaker 18: I mean, it's an incredible real estate in the college football landscape. As I mentioned earlier, it's a holiday, great day for local college football fans and just people in general are looking to have a good time to come here, you.
Speaker 3: Know, call out the NRG Stadium.
Speaker 18: Tickets start as low as twenty five dollars, so it's an affordable option, but we also have all the premium elements too. That, unto itself, is a really important element of why we're so excited about this this opportunity. But you look at the college football landscape. Anybody who follows the sport knows as close as you can be to New Year's Day, the better it is in terms of the visibility, in terms of the TV audience, in terms of the impact you can make. And this year for us, what really I think ultimately we were most excited about is an opportunity to be the lead in for the first ever quarterfinal. The Fiesta Bowl will be New Year's Eve night, and that's a first ever, which is always exciting to be part of. We get to be that lead in on ESPN with two elite conference partners in a great matchup. I think it's going to translate into a really good day business wise, a really great day in terms of the visibility for our community. And we think from an experience perspective, we're certainly working as hard as we possibly can to emulate that here at game day and make sure that we live up to that expectation. But all in all, it's a fantastic development. I'm bullish on us being in this position in the near term going forward, but most importantly, I'm really bullish about the opportunity to bring this to Houston on that day with this platform and see what it can do for our community.
Speaker 2: Did the College Football Playoff Committee get it right putting Alabama in front of Miami? Nah, you don't have to answer that question. Don't answer that question. That's a loaded question. I wouldn't put you on the spot like that. I think Alabama's better at Miami, but that's just me. Mar Vander might be very, very disappointed in me for saying that. But I think Alabama would have beat Miami in a head to head on a neutral field, and then I would put them ahead of Miami as it were. Fletch, I cannot wait for selection Sunday. It's weird because we usually have a game. Yeah, we usually have a game, and so you, if I remember correctly, you pop in the pet postgame show, you announce it with the guys on postgame show.
Speaker 1: So how are we gonna announce this on Selection Sunday.
Speaker 18: Well, there's this little thing called the Internet and social media and ESPN i've heard has a pretty good reach, so you know it'll be okay. So we're gonna be okay. We are really excited about Selection Sunday. This this Sunday afternoon, tickets going on sale as I mentioned that day as well, Kinders Texas Bowl dot com or on Ticketmaster's.
Speaker 7: David Fletch, thank you're visiting with Johnny Harris on Texans All Access talking about the Kinders Texas Bowl.
Speaker 1: That's going to do it for the show.
Speaker 7: All of the shows are in podcasts form at Houston Texas dot com, Apple, Spotify, wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: So have a great weekend.
Speaker 7: Don't forget Area forty five is coming up next talking about all the day's news and what is to come this weekend. Another big football fiesta this weekend. Have a great night everyone, Go Texans.