Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today?
Speaker 1: You're not interested in armed now? No, Look, we're going to do this thing. We're going to have a conversation.
Speaker 3: Hey, film spotters.
Speaker 2: It is time for a drop from the film Spotting archive. And with Marvel's new Spider Man movie coming to theaters and our top five Spider Man scenes dropping on Friday, we decided to go into the archive and pull out our twentieth anniversary Sacred Cow review of Sam Raimi's Spider Man the two thousand and two movie. We pulled this out from two two. Josh, Now, I know from talking to you just before we started recording that you have no recollection whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Had this conversation I in.
Speaker 1: Doing all my research and my processing and my remembering, even pulling up my old reviews, No, so I don't know what that says about this conversation. I'm sure it was as brilliant as ever, and I'm just for some reason it went through the seat of my brain. But did you, however, did you listen to it as part of your research too, to refresh yourself.
Speaker 2: I did not listen to it. I did vaguely recall us having the conversation. But here's how I knew that you probably had no recollection of this conversation. Oh boy, So we just taped the Friday show the top five Spider Man scenes, and at no point did this conversation come up. And that's only really relevant because I went back and looked at my notes from this conversation because there is at least one scene from Spider Man, as you know, from this Spider Man on my list, and so I wanted to see did I bring up this scene? What did I say about it? As you as you do? Turns out, as listeners are about to hear, turns out that the conceit for this conversation that listeners are about to hear was me talking about Raymy delivering iconic scenes and me asking you for your top five from this movie from this movie and so so I don't know, because I haven't really listened to this conversation either. But it turns out that in my notes, the way my notes for this movie are structured, I don't really have any bullet points. I just have top five moments. Okay, I have a top five moments from this film, and my number one did turn out to be randomly, not surprisingly, but randomly turned out to be the same number one that is my top five Spider Man moment on Friday.
Speaker 1: Whereas whereas there's a good chance I will on this review people are about to hear contradict myself and the part that I will make two days later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it turns out a Spider Man top five. It's probably in your notes somewhere in preparation show.
Speaker 1: I should have looked there. That would have made a Friday show a lot easier, but oh wow, you got to put in the work at.
Speaker 3: Them or more difficult.
Speaker 2: Who knows, well that with that setup you can now listen to our top five. Well, it's supposed to be not a top five. It's supposed to be our Spider Man. Conversation about Sam Raimi's film from two thousand and two, upon its twentieth anniversary.
Speaker 3: Here is that conversation.
Speaker 2: From episode eight seventy two, and just a reminder that as a Film Spotting family member, you can dip into the archive and pull out conversations like this just at your fingertips at any time you would like that.
Speaker 1: How is that? Whatever it is, somebody asked to stop it.
Speaker 3: It's great power comes great responsibility. This is my gift.
Speaker 2: Wow, it is my curs. How are you?
Speaker 3: Who am I?
Speaker 1: I'm spider Man.
Speaker 2: When I was four or five, I was interviewed for my mom's company newsletter. One of the questions was what do you want to be when you grow up? No, my answer was an astronaut, or policeman or fireman. I wanted to be spider Man. Sam Ramie spider Man didn't send me running in search of my old red and blue Spandex tights, but let's just say I thought about it. That was how I opened my review of Ramie spider Man, released this week. Back in two thousand and two, when I was a grad student cutting my critical teeth at the Daily Iowa. Fun fact, I'm pretty sure that spider review concluded my two year.
Speaker 3: Run at the d I.
Speaker 2: Let's see if you can identify this one Josh as someone who used to dress up in Spider Man under rus and literally try to climb walls when I was a kid. High praise I can give this high flying adaptation from director Sam Raimi is to say it made me want to be Spider Man again. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you said it so I don't have to.
Speaker 2: That's the opening to your capsule review of Spider Man, of course, and I'm tempted to suggest the connection proves we were destined to do this show together, maybe except for the fact that we could probably find I don't know a few hundred thousand Gen X males who would have started their reviews similarly. Nevertheless, clearly we were ready for Rami and Spider Man. So were most moviegoers. We had Blade An X Men and Tim Burton's Batman and the Superman movies before that. But this was pre Sony having to crank out a Spider movie every five years or else relinquish the IP, pre MCU, pre DCEU, pre anyone ever using the phrase cinematic universe at all. As far as I can recall, the release also came just eight months after nine to eleven, a teaser featured footage of bank robbers cast in one of Spidey's webs spun between the twin towers, and included a shot of the towers reflected in the eyes of his mask. That footage was pulled within a few days of the attacks. Watching Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin streak across the Manhattan skyline and throw bombs at a tall building hits different post nine to eleven. Still same for the climactic action scene where Toby Maguire's Wall Crawler forwarts the bad guy terrorist with an assist from angry New Yorkers in Spidey's final swing from the pole of an American flag waving gloriously atop the Empire State Building. Was that spirit why Spider Man was the biggest box office earner of its year, grossing a full one hundred million more domestically than Star Wars Episode two Attack of the Clones and was the sixth highest grossing film overall at the time of its release. Or was it simply because it's such a well made, rousing, character driven action movie with no multa verses but a multitude of memorable scenes. Looking back at my notes from the Spider Man three review. On the show, I commented that despite my strong appreciation for Spider Man Too, and let's be clear, I know that it has some great sequences, at the time, I couldn't immediately recall iconic scenes from it the way I could with its predecessor, and the handful of scenes I jotted down then were all among my favorites on this rewatch. In the parlance of our teenage kids, I'd love to hear your top five iconic Spider Man moments and tell me which one had you locked in your bedroom struggling to fit into those old under ruths with knocks on the door and you saying I'm exercising, I'm not dressed.
Speaker 1: Debbie. Oh, if I still had those, I would be so happy. Did you have those? Did you get in on the under root crash? Of course I did. Okay, goods, I did. I'm relieved to the Superman yep, I'm relieved to hear that. I'm also relieved to hear that your answer to your mom's company newsletter wasn't I foresee myself managing a team of fifteen to twenty very confidently and competently. I mean no, I'm so glad to hear there there was a very young yeah superhero aspiring ad about there.
Speaker 3: Before beaten down and jaded, yet.
Speaker 1: Before he started, you know, claiming the right Stuff was his best film? Or what's the other one? The garp one you know formed me at age? For me? Actually, okay, yeah, that's nice. I like picturing you that way. It's interesting because I would say Burton's Batman. I was still you know, in was it middle school or just before high school, but saw that as a complete fan right and was as excited about it as I could possibly be. Always love spider Man more than Batman, but you know, like Batman two as a kid, and then spider Man Raymie spider Man in two thousand and two is where I had to think about this somewhat professionally, right, theoretically, at this point, this was my job, and it was my job as writing for then Aperville Sun at that point. And I remember sitting in the screen. It was at Piper's Alley, which doesn't exist anymore as a movie theater in Chicago, and there was another critic a couple rows ahead of me who came probably a little older than us, came wearing a Spider Man T shirt and as soon as the credit started, just started rocking back and forth in his seat. And I remember thinking to myself, you know, still somewhat trying to figure this out, where's the line of professionalism and personal enthusiasm and.
Speaker 3: Mister Puris were so unhappy.
Speaker 1: I just didn't know what to do with that, huh. And I like to think maybe I've gotten past that because my review, as you saw, even in that opening that you quoted, was purely enthusiastic and tied into the same sort of response, you know, And that is kind of how I responded to it watching it again, This movie is just so sweet, which I think I had forgotten. It's very self contained in the way you've already talked about there. Not only are there no multiverses, there's no cinematic universes. And that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be better. But I did appreciate how this story really it affected all those New Yorkers who were caught as bystanders. But it really involves maybe seven to eight people right right, Peter's family, Mary Jane, and then the Osbornes, and that's pretty much who this It doesn't affect not only this whole planet or universe or multiverses. It's just this group of ten or less and there was something intimate about that that I did appreciate. So I think this stands up. You know, obviously it stood up at the time. Fascinating for you to bring nine to eleven into it because I had totally forgotten that context, and you're absolut right that was on everybody's minds at the time. That's an element to it as well. But I just think you're right. It's really well made, hits all the right buttons that we want a movie like this to hit, and is still in ways that we can probably get into a Sam Raimi movie, which is another thing I was excited about at the time, you know. So I had, I mean, speaking of where I was, I had taken Debbi and I had gone on a date to see Dark Man, So I was, you know, that much of kind of aware of Ramie at that point many years earlier. To have him take on Spider Man was another reason for me to be excited, and to see it come through and have touches of him as a filmmaker. I really fell for it. So I think at some point you asked me about scenes. Do you want me to do? You want me to jump into those two? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you just ignoring my my query, my demand for your five favorites.
Speaker 1: No, let's do it. I mean I'm going to say as this, you may not be surprised based on how I set up or transitioned us here anytime. I'm Willem Defoux cackles. I just love the enthusiasm. And he's not above this part either, right, he's not kind of trying to have it both ways where he's really committed, but is also letting us know somehow that he's above this comic book material. I think he's all in, and I think it's a great villain performance. Another highlight scene, My name is the Human Spider. Peter's insistence on that, rather than Bruce Campbell's, you know, obviously the perfect name.
Speaker 3: It's better. He insists, you're n the whole.
Speaker 1: Rustling match sequence, minus that you know, homophobic quip that still is in the script that certainly dates it in a negative way. Number three would be this exchange you're taller than you look. I hunch don't just the economy of that, How much work do those three lines do David Cupp screenwriter. Of course. Here number two, the whole trying out his powers sequence, and this is the one where it was like, oh man, am I wearing my under ruts? Like I might be wearing my under ruths still right, just the Maguire's enthusiasm and going back to Rami's camera. You know, Raymie has always had I think we you know, we talked about Evil Dead at some point on the show, maybe for a Halloween themed episode, and I was a little cooler on it that most people are just that the camera always had to be doing something. And what I like about Spider Man is that he chooses the right moments for the camera to do something. And that whole sequence is where you get it. And then I'll just say it and we can dive into it later. I want to hear your scenes as well. But the upside Down kiss, that's number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the last two you mentioned are my top two, and I have them just in reverse order. I'm going with the kiss number two, the upside down kiss in the rain, and then number one discovering his powers, and we can get into those a little more. I think I want to say up front here that We're going to be pretty comfortable spoiling this movie. We're going to assume that mo of you listening have seen this film, and if you haven't, I'm not going to say ninety percent of our review is going to be spoilers. But still you should maybe skip ahead until you have actually seen this movie. So do you want me to just go in order? You want me to give you five through three? For me run to mention them, you didn't mention them, and they all get it. Different aspects of the film that I really appreciate. My number five, and this is one that you will not find on any list out there of the best Spider Man scenes ever. But on Rewatch just made me cackle almost the way Willem Defoe cackles as the Green Goblin. It's the Thanksgiving scene where he's about to cut into the turkey, but then Aunt may sets down that casse role or whatever, and he can't help himself. Norman Osborne reaches his finger in to get a bite before it's served. Oh Aunt may admonishes him. So Aunt may admonishing an ornery Osborne is my number five and I love it so much because of Dafoe's response. The way he looks at her, which is with that devilish grin that suggests, not only am I a little bit unhappy that you did that, I actually wanna jam this knife into it right now, Like that is exactly what he is thinking at that moment, and it takes everything he has within him playing the normal Norman to restrain himself and not do it. And the way Ramy lingers on that, so we have to be in that space. And Aunt May is even kind of looking at him. Rosemary Harras very good performance here as well, is looking at him and continues to kind of talk almost like this is a joke, right, but he doesn't really look like he's joking. And I think that scene is fantastic, and I think it does get at how good Dafoe is in this film overall. Maybe tangent just for a second. You mentioned Ramie and you were excited about that at the time. I don't know if I was a good enough Cinophile in two thousand and two to really think in those terms. In fact, I know I wasn't because I went back and looked at my review and I at least admitted that, you know, I had seen the Evil Dead Ones but mostly watched it through my hands because it scared me so much as a junior high kid, and I definitely didn't feel like I could speak in any terms about Rami as an O tour, so that was something that was lost on me completely back in O two, and this time you could see some of those horror elements really come through, including in those green Goblin scenes where he is by himself talking to himself.
Speaker 3: Those are legitimately.
Speaker 2: Creepy, and it takes an actor of Defoe's caliber to make them work and to make them as sinister and creepy as they actually are. I also really liked that scene, Josh, because that moment with aunt May, and it closes with an exchange between Harry and Kirsten Dunts Mary Jane as well. It gets at something this film is dealing with, which is masculinity, something that definitely wasn't a prism I was watching movies.
Speaker 3: Through twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: But that look he gives Aunt May is a look he would give anybody who's sort of standing in his way of anything, but I think it's heightened by the fact that she's a woman. Thanks for sticking up for me, Harry.
Speaker 3: You heard everyone heard that creep. Creep is my father. All right, If I'm lucky, I'll become half of what he is.
Speaker 2: So just keep your mouth shut about stuff you don't understand.
Speaker 1: Harry awespored very fair to call James Franco's Harry toxic. Think how about when he's approving MJ's dress for meeting his father, worried about, you know, if he'll find her pretty. Yeah, there's a lot of nasty stuff like this in here.
Speaker 3: There is.
Speaker 2: I mean, the movie is filled with bad guys. And I don't mean bad guys like villains, though there's villains here too. It's full of bad guys doing bad things. My number four is here's where we really get into spoilers. It's the end or that scene right before the final swing and the Empire State Building shot. It's the scene at the cemetery for Norman Osborne, and it's the choice Peter makes, which I of course completely remembered. I knew that that's how it ended, with this kind of crushing Oh, he wants her so badly and now she wants him so badly, And is he actually going to say no? Is he actually going to do what he thinks he has to do, accepting his role, accepting his responsibility, and he's going to give up on happiness, he's going to give up on love, give up on MJ.
Speaker 3: And he does. And when he.
Speaker 2: Does, because we're invested enough in this story, in these characters, when he does it, it crushes you. But what I forgot is that touch as he walks away, where we get MJ's recognition that Peter is Spider Man. And that's a case of the screenplay and the direction having it both ways, but I think in a really good successful way.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we and all set up by that kiss, right.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: We understand his sacrifice, and since we see the movie through his eyes, we feel the weight of it, like we know something Spider Man doesn't, and he will continue to go through life into that second film not knowing what she knows, and so we'll continue to have that hanging over him. But the fact that we as an audience know that she really knows somehow does soften it while also putting it back on her.
Speaker 3: In a way.
Speaker 2: She has to maintain the secret and she has to wrestle with why he's making that decision. So I love that that choice and specifically MJ's recognition, So then I'll get to here, the last one before the two you mentioned. I think that that bridge fight showdown is really spectacular, and it's another choice right where Spider Man has to make one and he gets to have it both ways. He successfully again manages to save both all of those kids and all of those New Yorkers on the cable car, and he also gets to save MJ. But it's a moment that only just has great action, and despite there clearly being some CGI, this whole film uses practical effects and stunts to such good effects that nothing really about that sequence really feels false or artificial at all, and it keeps it contained. It's not just about chaos in destruction like these movies so often devolve into. And what I think that sequence also encapsulates is the DNA of super hero movies that came before it and that came after it. It it gets it right. It's all there on the screen where I'm sure most people were watching it and hearing his line where Defoe says something like, you know, if you're a hero, you're a good person, you're moral. At some point a lunatic is going to force you into making a difficult choice. And I'm thinking about Heath Ledgers, The Joker and The Dark Knight and the Sure you Know, and I feel like that DNA, that blueprint, as I said, is there for those movies that came but also many of those ones that came before. It has the sensibility of a Donner Superman and of Burton's Batman at times, versus going for total realism. There is a sense of humor, there is a likeness to it, a sweetness. The camp factor is in play in some scenes and just the right amount, I would say. And while that's the big showdown that any of these action movies are leading to, how about the fact that the final brawl is just that it's a mono almano fight between.
Speaker 3: Two characters where you have a reveal.
Speaker 2: You know that Peter is now having to be responsible for, even though he doesn't actually committed himself, be responsible for the death of a man he actually admires. And it's just hand to hand combat. It's not at all four thousand characters on screen and you're trying to keep up with the action and you feel it. You feel the intensity of that fight and the intimacy of it.
Speaker 1: If I prefer the one that you made as your pick, which I think is right. It's probably because it's free of the sort of I mean the thing I talk about when it comes to the MCU films, the punch plosions, right, they're punching each other through walls and that mono amano and I agree with you that it's personal and so it works on that level. But what I really like about your pick sequence on the bridge is that it's a confrontation, but it's more about acrobatics and the choices you're talking about and is he going to be able to hang on to this? Is he going to be able to spin around you know quickly enough? Those are the things that we're worried about, not really how hard is this next punch going to be? Okay? How hard is the next punch going to be? Okay? How hard is the next punch? Gon? You know, that's where a lot of Superhero and I would say more the DCEU films actually had this way where we're just more invested in the brute strength, and that sequence you picked is about so many other things, which is why I think it's such a highlight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: So then let's talk a little bit more about the two scenes you mentioned that are a top my list as well, because that upside down kiss in the rain is probably the most iconic moment from this film, and for good reason. It's enjoyable on some level cinematically the same way all of these scenes we're discussing are, but in terms of what that scene expresses about what works about this film overall. Yes, there is this sweetness that we've mentioned, the wholesomeness and innocence of this film overall. But think about this film and that relationship in comparison to the superhero movies we get today that are so well, they're not only sexless, but they don't express anything that even resembles any sexual heat. There is no sensuality to these films whatsoever. And here we absolutely get it. It doesn't shy away from Kirsten Dunn's character playing MJ as probably the quote unquote hottest girl in school, and in a way that doesn't make it to this male anyway feel too male gazy. You know, she's thirsting for Spider Man, she makes the moves, she makes the move with Peter. She's in control and back to the masculinity point when she's mistreated by Harry, when she hears the conversation between Harry and Norman and he doesn't defend her at all. She calls him out on it. But there's sensuality in the exchange you mentioned that line. That's all subtext for the actual heat that is starting to emerge between these two people. That great bit of dialogue you mentioned where he says that he hunches and she tells him not to. You know what's starting to come through there. And then in that kiss, it's a hot kiss. We get nothing like that any other superhero movie of recent vintage I can think of.
Speaker 1: Josh, Well, Adam, that's because you missed the eternals Where or just eternals? I think I should say where, you know Marvel really really moved into that. No, I'm just joking. There is a sex scene, but it is kind of it doesn't really work. Yes, you're right about the hotness of it, and it's something that I wondered watching at this time, is if this came from a comic book, you know, was this an image that was well known to Spider Man fans? Was it invented for the movie? Was it in the script? So did a little googling, and actually the Ringer just published something today I was reading at lunch, so this was perfect works out great for us. It's by Jake kring Screefles Shriefoles. Not sure how to pronounce that, but basically when Mary Jane kiss Spider Man is what it's titled. We'll link to it in the show notes because there's so many great details here, but just briefly, turns out, the basic idea came from Doug Leffler, who was the movie's second unit director and storyboard artist. He had stage scenes with characters upside down in his previous work as a TV director, so not necessarily kisses, but just this idea of having two characters in the frame, one of them upside down. So Leffler presented some sketches to Ramy Raymie loved it, and then producer Laura Ziskin actually is the one who suggested the crucial element of having MJ pulled down his mask just enough to reveal the lips. So all of that comes together to make this moment that I agree is legitimately iconic, and again we'll link to that in the show notes on the Ringer, but it's wonderful in so many ways. The ones you described. I like how it just uses the mask and you can sense that it's a real mask. You know, there's no cgi hear either on his face. It's something that is actually wet that has to be pulled down. I think that adds a lot to it. Going back to my Neighborville Sun review, you know, I'm skeptical about puns, Adam, but I did pull one out. I think I think this was me might have been our great JJ are great copied desk chief, but swinging in the rain not bad? Right? The headline for my review in two thousand and two. You pretty proud of me.
Speaker 3: You're okay with puns and titles, right or headlines?
Speaker 1: Titles and headlines, that's what you save them for. You have a knack for getting in trouble.
Speaker 3: You have a knack for saving my life. I think I have a superhero stock I was in the neighborhood. You are amazing.
Speaker 2: Some people don't think so, but you are nice to.
Speaker 1: Have a fan.
Speaker 3: Do you want to get to say thank you this time?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a wonderful moment and it makes me think of a question. I want to get your take on do you think it was smart? It sounds like you do, and maybe you don't see it this way, but for this Spider Man to frame itself first and foremost as a romance, so rather than an action movie, rather even than an origin story. You know, you have that opening voiceover, we're told, this is about a girl. That's what this is about. We get so many scenes to their developing relationship in chemistry. Sounds like you're with me, agreeing that Maguire and Dunst are very good, especially together. And you already talked about that noteed ends on. It's all about she doesn't know, but she does, and she knows that because of the kiss. So so you're with me. It sounds like that that was a good moves to kind of frame it that way.
Speaker 2: I mean, I I think it's what ultimately does make the movie special. It's why we're still talking about it twenty years later. It's not because it gets the action right, though that's part of it. It's not that it's fun and all of these elements that we've been discussing, it's part of it. But I think really at its core, it's because we respond to those characters so much and we respond to that central love story. But overall, I think that's also indicative of what generally works about this movie, and you touched on it a little bit earlier, it is that it is self contained.
Speaker 3: That's the right word for it.
Speaker 2: It does have some intimacy in a lot of these scenes. You do feel as if all of the action revolves around these four or five central characters. Though ironically it's also a movie that gets right the fact that it takes place in New York and you feel as if there are real people living lives in the city, in contrast to I'll say it and I like many of these Marvel movies. We say this all the time. We've reviewed some of the very favorably on the show. But they have so many characters in it, and there's so much going on that you don't really ever get the sense that they exist in a real world, you know, or that there's stakes that affect real people. It tries to build that, and oftentimes succeeds in the relationships between those characters, but not on the scale that a movie like This Spider Man does. And the fact that you've got just this universe of characters, everything that's happening from a plot standpoint, from a story standpoint, from a thematic standpoint, all ties back to the characters and characters that you either care about or are really curious about, and they all have depth to them. I mean, yes, this is a movie about a teen ish grappling with changes and grappling with responsibility and what it means to be a man. But he's also at the end of the day, protecting the people he loves and the city he loves from a bad guy. And even that bad guy is someone that he has a personal connection to. So I think that heart is at the heart of what makes Spider Man so good.
Speaker 1: So should we turn to your favorite the getting to know his powers? Getting to learn his Powers sequence? Because for me, that's it. I think what this does, it sort of combines two of the great things about the movie. It's Ramy's skills as a filmmaker and McGuire's abilities as a performer. For this part in particular, I talked about the camera work and how about the movement As Peter starts crawling up that brick wall in the alley, right, we're looking down at him and it kind of just slides alongside of him and then watches him. It's a perfect example of waiting for your moment and then really going for it and putting us in that experience. And then even when we get you know, Spider Man swinging around and it's a little more clumsy as it should be in these opening sequences. I like the patience Raimi has for wide screen compositions for a lot of the action. This isn't edited to death, right, and you get a little bit of that here. I think you get more of it as Peter is more confident in his abilities and we're just kind of taking in the skyline that he's swinging through without having to have it be chopped up in so many edits. So I like Raymie's camera work and filmmaking prowess here, but also McGuire, I mean, he you know, is it just nostalgia that I think he's the best Spider Man we have. I really like Tom holland you know Andrew Garfield that those films just they never quite worked for me, and as much as I like him as an actor, it didn't seem like the greatest fit. But maguire here gets the nerdiness down, which I think is the most important quality for this character. I love his froggy smile when he doesn't open his mouth and it just kind of like starts spreading, but he's not going to fully commit because there it's that little bit of security that he brings. And going back to your pick, this enthusiasm he has for his powers, just the excitement he's expressing, the fun. How fun would it be to be Spider Man? No one ever really thought it would be fun to be Batman when you were a kid. You know, it seemed maybe the TV show okay, yeah, you tell it about pretty cool, but you know, the comic Batman, the more intense traumatized Batman, Spider Man seemed like it would be great fun. And that's what McGuire taps into in this opening sequence or this early sequence.
Speaker 2: I should say, yeah, for sure, I remember having that same feeling you described in the theater when I saw it in two thousand and two, and I had a similar feeling watching it again, and I think it's for all the reasons that you express. I'll also say that it's another one of those scenes that gets back to the point about the DNA of what attracts us to superhero movies. In the first place, and what the best ones do and do well. It makes me think of Donner's Superman in particular, and a younger Clark Kent discovering his powers and having some fun running along the train, kicking the football, doing some of those different things that he does. We see that here in this scene with Peter Parker and the montage. I'll get away from the scene a little bit, but it follows pretty quickly as he starts to accept his responsibility, that montage of him forwarding various crimes. That's something you see in Batman two. You probably see in every superhero movie, at least every origin story to an extent, But here you've got that playfulness about it. As Sophie said, unlike watching the Batman movies, and she likes those Nolan movies too, but it never feels like a drag. In fact, it feels really fun as you watch those scenes here, and I think this is the most fun scene in the film, and I think at its core, to go back to where we started, it's the scene that encapsulates everything that drew us to Spider Man in the first place as kids. It is both the fantasy and the imagination part, the part where he gets to do things above and beyond his normal capabilities. But it also has him failing, It has him learning, It has him having to figure things out. And so that same part of us where you know you were you were climbing on the stairs a certain way. You probably fell, you know, you're climbing up the side of the stairs. Your mom told you not to, but you think you're being just like there. Yeah, the first time you fall, just like he does here, right, But then but then you figure it out and in your mind you're You're Spider Man.
Speaker 1: It's all there, It's all right, all right. So one more thing, for sure, I wanted to touch on, just because there's there was so much talk about turning red, you know, and female adolescence and puberty and are we really going to have a movie about menstruation? I can't. You know, a lot of people, including us, I think, appreciated that sort of honesty and that freshness, and other people were like, I can't believe this is happening in a movie for kids. I mean, this thing as a puberty parable is pretty incredible, right, Uncle Ben mentioning very early on hormones teenagers to May Peter alone in his room, dealing with sticky substances, and it goes beyond the physical changes, right, it's also marx the relationship. The relational changes that happen during those years are really sort of and again this is probably because I'm an older parent at this point. But how about the moment where he and Uncle Ben are. You know, they clearly have a good connection here together, and Cliff Robertson is Uncle Ben of course, wonderful performance and they're talking about painting when he comes home from school, We're gonna paint. I think it's the kitchen or whatever, right, sure, thing that is what the afternoon he gets he discovers his powers and goes on the exact sequence we were just talking about. That's the joy ride. That's taking out the car with your friends, forgetting what you promised, the person in your life who your responsive cares about you, who cares about you, right, And to me, it was just like, oh, and then what do you get the little the note about his supper still you know, no like waiting for him to come home and screaming him out just to note your supper is still waiting for you. And you don't get the sense. It's like a guilt trip thing either, it's they wanted to make sure he ate So all of that I think is tied into this As a puberty parable is just charting, you know, some nods to the physical changes, but also noticing the relational element as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, even the last thing he says to him, his rebuke, is something you can imagine that he'd never probably said to him before, and yeah, what have said to him prior? He's accepted him as his father his entire life, and yet post change, as he's dealing with this and post his transformation, now he's standing up to him, if you will and saying, well, you're not my father and gets out of the car. So that that relationship element between the adults, between the parents in this case and the sun is very much at play. I do think it's something that works about the film. I don't think it's a big shock either. If you recall, I think that Raymi deals with to go back to turning red menstruation as a very dominant metaphor all the blood that's happening in Evil Dead. He's playing with similar ideas in that film as he is here in Spider Man. But you're right, the fact that that moment where he says, don't come in, I'm not dressed, and then he turns around and there's there's webs everywhere. I mean, that's hilarious. And the fact that he's he's generating these substances by himself the verses and of course they talk about this and no way home. The fact that he can produce that substance on his own versus it being something that he has to actually manufacture. I do like that touch for all the reasons that you articulated. There's still a part of me too that kind of puts that in the funny camp factor of the film as well, because, as I alluded to earlier, he's eighteen or something right, like he's about to graduate high school.
Speaker 3: Well, and they talk about him like he's fourteen and going through it.
Speaker 1: Well, we're definitely still in the era of like clearly thirty eight year olds playing teenagers. When it comes to like Flash in the bullying scenes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's jubaman Ganello in his first ever screen performance.
Speaker 3: Wow recognizable. I did not catch that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're wondering if Flash is is Flash like his classmate or is it grandparent s day? Not quite sure?
Speaker 3: Exactly well.
Speaker 2: We obviously had fun with Spider Man, and if you have seen the film recently, it's available to rent on most platforms. You may also find a two thousand and two era DVD is your local library.
Speaker 3: We'd love to hear your thoughts. You can email us feedback at Filmspotting dot.
Speaker 2: Mat More Spider Man Talk coming on Friday with our top five Spider Man scenes. We will have to wait in suspense to find out, Josh, whether or not any of those moments make your list.
Speaker 1: I can't wait just as long as I didn't say something the opposite. It's really got me worried. Now. Access to the Film Spotting Archive is just one of the benefits of joining the Film Spotting Family. You also get bonushows, a weekly newsletter, early access to events, and more to join, which you can do right now for twenty percent off using the code Summer go to Filmspotting Family dot com.
Speaker 3: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Speaker 1: Good Bye
Speaker 3: Everything,