Speaker 1: Hey, there're folks. It is Tuesday, January twenty seventh. Quick question for you, just how important are eating habits to a successful relationship? And with that, welcome to this Yahoo addition of Amy and DJ here on our iHeart podcast. Welcome everybody. It's not something people think about, is it rope? So we think about the important parts of being compatible. You say, you kind of religion and politics and values. But what about food?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't think that's usually a conversation you bring to a first date, or at least even to any relationship, conversation about what it is that you eat.
Speaker 2: I bet you.
Speaker 3: Sabine is off school right now. She likes to call this time of day.
Speaker 1: Apologies. Yes, soo maring tone is still not like us by Kendrick Lamar And Sabine calls me every single day when she gets out of school immediately, So sorry about that, but go ahead.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the they not like us, the us versus them thing. Yeah, if you eat very differently than your partner, is that potential for causing a fissure in your relationship that could end things? I don't know about that, but certainly think about the things you do together as a couple and eating together is probably something you do more than anything else with your significant other.
Speaker 1: And this came about and reason we're talking about it now is because we do we have many of you are familiar in those of you who are not. We have been doing a column with Yahoo over there for the past Your Soul will continue through twenty twenty six. And our producer there, Natalie brought this question up. It's something she's been keeping an eye on, but having to do with generally speaking, people's diets, how you eat and how couples eat, and she had us think about this. Now. The title of the column you can check out in Yahoo dot com right now in the life section. The column. The title this time is Amy Robot changed how she eats after cancer. It reshaped her life and her relationship with TJ. Holmes. Now that is the article that goes through several things we'll go through with you here, but Robes, let's start first and foremost. We don't think about this that much about eating habits. But you're not on the same page with religion, you're not on the same page with politics. That can cause a problem. And if his favorite food is hot dogs and she's a vegan, that could be an issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I had never considered that, and recognizing how actually your eating habits could help or hurt your relationship isn't something I've pondered before. But it makes sense because we influence one another. We decide what restaurants were going to, where we're ordering from, and.
Speaker 2: All of that.
Speaker 3: Actually, if you have very different eating habits from your partner, that's just a logistical perhaps issue, But then there's an emotional side to it too. If I'm trying to stay away from something that you love or you like to eat something that I can't stand, that actually, over time can cause.
Speaker 1: Some issues and it's not something necessarily we have had to deal with. And this is what Natalie was kind of talking about it. She was walking through some of our eating habits, how we eat, how we ate before we were a couple, how we have continued to eat as a couple. It did bring this idea up of just how difficult it can be if you're not on the same page food wise. Now, there are some upsides to this. Clearly robes just like we do in the way we eat. You can inspire somebody, you can encourage the other person if they just see you having good habits. That can be a good thing. Also, have out some trying some new stuff with your partner, that's always good. That can be an upside. Also, if you are eating a certain way, not dieting, but have a certain diet, you can hold each other accountable. We do that with our running, We do that with anything. If you have a buddy, you can hold yourself accountable. But robes, these are some pretty i think obvious.
Speaker 3: Cons Yeah, and these make a lot of sense because if you're the one who's eating cleaner or better by societal standards or even by scientists evaluation, you can maybe not even realize it, but maybe you're criticizing your partner. Maybe you're trying to convince your partner to come on to see food as in your way of thinking. But you might actually end up critics sizing their habits and maybe not even realizing you're doing so.
Speaker 2: You also might tempt your partner.
Speaker 3: You know, if I'm saying, hey, I'm really going to try and stay away from candy, I know sugar is not good for me, and your partner's just throwing down Swedish fish and gummy bears, that can be really hard that can actually cause some problem.
Speaker 1: The criticism part is that can go right. We're talking about food here, but that can go with anything. They can criticize how you dress, your taste in movies, your taste in music, and all those things can kind of wear you down and beat you down. When youre talking about how somebody eats, that is a big deal. I will ask what we move on here? Have you ever in a relationship had food be an issue.
Speaker 3: With my with within a romantic relationship, no, but in friendships and even with my children, yes it has become an issue.
Speaker 1: How about with you, h neb fur No, not even no, no, not even close. Obviously, you know I cook all the time, so I don't need anybody to take care of my meals for me, so I get to pick how I eat. I suppose so no, asn't been an issue, and you know how I eat. So we go back now. Natalie was asking us these questions for the column, but I did don't really sit down and think about it that often. But a reminder how we grew up eating versus how we eat now? Pretty clean keto, And we'll explain some of that in a second. B b oh, we grew up eating some pretty bad stuff in an area of the country where it's known now it's a pretty unhealthy food.
Speaker 3: Yes, I grew up in the Midwest and in the South, so lots of I mean.
Speaker 2: Look, lots of processed foods. And I actually, I actually want to say I'm sorry to my mom.
Speaker 3: I felt a little bad reading the Yahoo article because it makes it seem as though she was just throwing processed foods at us. My mom cooked every single day. She actually was in that kitchen preparing meals from scratch. But in between and on Friday nights, yeah, we did do the Chef boy rd and we did do the canned foods and the Vienna sausages, and we did have spam sandwiches, and we did eat lots of candy.
Speaker 2: And drink soda.
Speaker 3: But I also think that perhaps people weren't as focused on it was a war against fat. There wasn't a war against sugar necessarily, or carps. And so the thinking has changed, The science has evolved, and the recommendations have certainly grown from where when we were kids.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna work, that's not good enough to make it a do good for your mom. Because more people are probably gonna read the article than.
Speaker 2: But she really tried her best. They didn't have a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Look, everybody's trying the best. This is the thing here. Yes, a lot of people don't want to go get a bucket of fried chicken, but you know what, it can feed five people for eight ninety nine. Okay, we get that. There are difficult choices that people have to make, and growing up part of it, Yes, for us was yes, by circumstances, but some of it was location regional. I grew up, yes, in Memphis, and I grew up my parents in the Mississippi Delta, one of the poorest regions in this country. Fry pork, chops, fried chicken, macaroni, you name it. All that stuff was in there. That was no grilled.
Speaker 2: You had colored greens.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was the healthiest thing I had from zero to eighteen years old. But it's that's how I grew up, and that stuff is all delicious. But I didn't know about you can grill chicken. I didn't know that it belongs in Greece. You can grill fish. No, it has to be battered and dropped in a hot pan, is what I understood.
Speaker 3: So only fish sticks, Like that's literally the only exposure to.
Speaker 2: Seafood I had.
Speaker 1: Those are great fish sticks. So how did we we have evolved now to something in this house if we go in there right now, and maybe we should so post something in all honesty, you open our cabinets, you do not see junk. You can't find you can't find carbs, you can't find processed anything. Because as we are, and have been for quite a while keto at different points in our lives. But now it's pretty easy they were together.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean the headline was maybe even a little misleading because you, I believe, said that you had actually been and pretty much lived a ketogenic lifestyle before I did, like you were ahead of the curve.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't necessarily And can we explain this in the article? You can see yahoo dot com the life section. It's in there. But yeah, I just being I was in the Arkansas Athletic program for a couple of years in college, and they put us on specific things they wanted us to eat, and they gave us the carbs. They wanted us to have refrigerator in the training rooms. Still see it today, you take me to but Walt Marina I will be able to walk exactly in the training room where that refrigerator was. It was a part of my life. These little red liquids wasn't delicious. I said, hey, go get you some carbs, and we used to suck those down like babies.
Speaker 3: And you don't know what's inside of it, like you don't know what, but it is composed of no idea.
Speaker 1: That was just our carb intake. So I grew our college, went to college. Forget all the fried stuff. So from that point on, I was eating meat, vegetables. I don't like a potato, a fry, I can pass it up anytime. I just eat clean. So yes, it wasn't a decision I made, but it became a habit to where it. That's all I started eating.
Speaker 3: And I always say, look, not taking away your discipline, because you have a significant amount of it. But I have said to you how lucky you are that you don't miss or love potatoes, because potatoes are amazing, and so is bread. Like I'm here to say, I love that stuff. I love French bread, I love potatoes, I love pizza, I love French fries. And I'm telling you I didn't pass any of that up. Until after my cancer diagnosis, because I kind of had that Yolo attitude.
Speaker 2: I work out hard.
Speaker 3: I've always been an athlete, and so I figured I could go ahead and maybe eat things I shouldn't because I was working out. I just defied bad eating habits because I was active, and that's not okay.
Speaker 1: And so yes, so we now have switched up. Just well, we were eating a certain way, and now the government seems the one to want to eat a certain way. You saw Rkjuni. You put out the new guide essentially flip the pyramid upside down. More focus on whole grains, on protein, on good fats right, and animal fats and animal fats. This is not something they used to Well, they wanted you to what it's all get fat out of your diety.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, so there was a war, an anti fat campaign for the longest time. I remember skim milk. That was the only thing I would drink. I remember trying to degrease a patty but devouring French fries and a bun because I thought the animal fat was bad for you. So yes, RFK Junior and the CDC now have flipped the pyramids, and a lot of some people are applauding it. Actually, there are plenty of groups that are applauding it. Some people are cautioning against so much protein and so much red meat and animal fat, but they're rare to.
Speaker 1: Say they're cautioning and not saying don't do it.
Speaker 3: That is correct, Yes, and I think a lot. I read a lot of positive reviews. I know OURFA Junior hasn't gotten a lot in the medical community with some of his decisions and implementations, but this one actually was received fairly well because it was overdue. We did have a need for a revamp on the food pyramid that we've been working off of for so long, so I think several groups applauded that decision.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this now and again. It was part of the article about being food being one's love language, and we are perfectly aligned. And I think in everything we eat, there are very few times that we have a meal somewhere and oh I can't get anything there. Oh I can't eat something there. And it makes robes really the decisions about where we eat, but also what we eat on that menu pretty simple because a lot of things are eliminated. It makes eating very easy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you always say that like, Hey, we only have a certain amount of choices on the menu, so let's go ahead and order them all and then we just share the food. It does make going out to eat very nice. Compatible We honestly just order two three things and then just pick off each other's plates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just a lot we is it? What is it? Vegetables? It's a lot of salads and a lot of protein on those salads. Is this something I'm missing about you?
Speaker 3: You don't have a lot of fruit, and I don't really eat fruit that much in front of you, but berries.
Speaker 2: I eat berries.
Speaker 3: That's probably the one thing I eat that you don't. And then avocados, and then you eat shellfish, which I cannot eat.
Speaker 2: But that's about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, that has to do with an allergy. Sometimes not necessarily because you take But we wake up in the morning, we usually have bacon or and scrambled or fried eggs because of the time we're up, that's what we get. We end up having a salad and a grilled piece of meat here at the house and then we'll figure out dinner. That is our day, yeah, every single day, and how we eat. A lot of people wonder this two things, right, who cooks, who does the grocery shopping? We split it in this house. I wonder if everybody understood, if anybody listens to us, they know by it now how it's split. But how would you think most people would guess it's split? Who does the grocery shopping, who does the cooking? And is it usually the same person in the house.
Speaker 3: Yes, usually the same person does the grocery shopping and the cooking. But we split it in our house. I do the grocery shopping and you do the cooking, and it works great with us.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: It is a great way to divvy up the duties because doing them both is tough, as many people will tell you who do both?
Speaker 1: Many women?
Speaker 3: Yes, I was trying to avoid that, but yes, that is usually the case.
Speaker 1: All right, folks, stay here before we let you go, though when we come back we'll tell you actually though, yes, we eat clean meat, vegetables, grilled. Oh where are those annoying people? But we do have some guilty pleasures, but you're probably not gonna like thees either. Stay here, all right, We continue here talking about food and how it relates to your real relationship. A few things before we let you go here, folks. Yes, we're going to tell you about some of the snacks when we do have some guilty pleasures what we actually do eat. But quick question robes, does it matter who does the cooking in a relationship and do people make a judgment about that relationship based on what the answer is?
Speaker 3: Well, I think most people expect the woman to probably cook and get the groceries and probably clean too, and no one says anything about it. When a man steps up into any of those roles, we applaud it.
Speaker 2: We think you're a saint.
Speaker 3: I mean, I am so in awe of and appreciative of and grateful for your chefing and your cooking ability because I am so grateful, And I don't think you're viewed differently.
Speaker 2: I think you're viewed positively.
Speaker 3: I think all women are like, dang, that's amazing, and most men are thinking, I wish I knew how.
Speaker 2: To do that.
Speaker 1: But how do then other people and maybe even particular women look at other women who aren't cooking in the house.
Speaker 2: Oh, I never felt judged by that.
Speaker 3: I think people look me as somebody who's really lucky, like that's I feel like people like man I wish I had a man who did that. Yeah, I don't feel like anyone looks at me like I'm less than or somehow I am shirking my responsibilities.
Speaker 2: I think they're jealous.
Speaker 1: I think people raise their eyebrow. I always get that in that, like raise their operak. What's going on in that house? Why is he doing the cooking? Like there's some imbalance or something weird about the relationship. But anyway, last thing here, we told you folks, yes we eat well, but when we are when we are really splurgeon, when we are really going out on a limb, being wild, these are the things we do eat. I listed five. Which is the one do you think is the biggest guilty pleasure? Like we know is the worst for us, but we do it anyway, the.
Speaker 2: Worst for us that we do it anyway. No, I'm not looking at it.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I was trying to get Oh, so that was gonna be my number one thing? Sugar free gummy bear.
Speaker 1: You think that's the worst. I would say it's the popcorn.
Speaker 2: Oh really, because we douse it with butter and salt.
Speaker 1: And the keto they're sugar free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they got to have other things in them right, and then we do. I actually so.
Speaker 3: As much as I don't love cooking, I do love baking, and so the Keto cheesecake.
Speaker 2: I do Keto cookies are good.
Speaker 3: So it's one of those things where you get a little bit of your sweet tooth satisfied. But instead of flour you're using almond flour. Instead of sugar, you're using erythritol or stevia, and so it's not as bad, but still.
Speaker 2: It's obviously not optimal.
Speaker 3: Desserts are probably never good other than your favorite whipped cream and berries.
Speaker 2: That is a very Keto dessert.
Speaker 1: Aroma, what did you say? A erythrothol? I don't know what that is. Erythrotol, I don't know what that is. It sounds like I need a prescription.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 2: That's fair, But it is a sugar substitute. Yes, folks, we.
Speaker 1: Always oh yeah, the number one thing we probably eaten miss out is a snack pecan.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, but that's not bad for you.
Speaker 1: It's not at all. I was joking with the audience. So well, our big splurge is pecans.
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 3: We go through a lot of pecans. It's a very expensive habit. I might say that's a lot more expensive than I realized.
Speaker 1: Well, folks, please check it out Yahoo dot com in the life section. The new one just came out this week, but check them out and several of them are there. We always appreciate you, We appreciate the feedback. We've incorporated some of those into some of these podcasts, so always appreciate you listening to us, folks. But now I am TJ. Holmes on behalf of my dear Amy Robot. Will talk to you all soon.