Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Wednesday, Dan and The Dan Ns Dan Patrick Show, the Sports Emmy nominated Dan Patrick Show, led by the King of Comedy Fritzy Seaton, Marv Pauliers truly in the back room, guys. We will head to Dallas coming up a little bit. The MAVs are going there. It's Luca his first game against his former team back in Dallas.
Speaker 3: I'm expecting a standing ovation.
Speaker 2: I don't think this is Jimmy Butler going back to Miami, where you might applaud him in the beginning and then boo him every time he gets the ball. But this is different. Jimmy Butler wanted out of Miami. Luca didn't want out of Dallas. So we'll have some more coverage on this. Also, what happened in Denver where you have a bloodbath with three games to go in the regular season, you're trying to hold on to a play on spot. Maybe you're going to end up in a play in game and you fire your coach and your GM and Michael Malone will get a job. That's not the question. The question is why is he getting another job? What exactly happened, the friction between Calvin Booth, the GM, the front office and why you do it now? Is this giving your team a spark? I wonder because they're going to have to hold on just to get a playoff spot or they're going to end up in the play in game. Got a sale going on at danpatrick dot com. Everything is on sale. Everything is fifty percent off. Great deals to be had there. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Something this monumental could only happen in Las Vegas. You can watch John Cena, Cody Rhoades and more of WWE's biggest superstars at WrestleMania Live April nineteenth and twentieth, so big that they had to do two days and at seven Eastern only on Peacock, which is where you'll find this show. Thank you for downloading the app. Tim McMahon from The Mothership covers the NBA. He'll by the Master's par three contest is today. I got an opportunity to caddy for Peter Jacobson, former golf pro, and I put on the bibs, I put on the caddy outfit there at Augusta and I'm with Payne Stewart was in our group.
Speaker 3: Fred Couples was in our group.
Speaker 2: And I had a mishap where I'm trying to put the straps on with Peter Jacobson's clubs, and I had one strap on and then I had the club's turnover and they all fell out right in front of everybody at the par three contest. Everybody was laughing, except for Peter Jacobson because those are his clubs. He's going to be playing the Masters with those clubs, and oh my god, I was so embarrassed. And then we got to I forget the second to last hole, and then Peter jacob goes here and he hands me a pitching wedge.
Speaker 3: I said, what do you what do you want me to do?
Speaker 2: He goes, you guys are always you know, you guys think this is so easy. You you know, announcers, you know, go ahead. I said, I'm not going to hit it, and then Payne Stewart he goes, yeah, yeah, it's so easy, right, And I said, all right, how about I'll we get up to the green and I'll put one of your putts. So Payne Stewart has me with a putt that is diabolical. I don't know's it's seventy feet away and up over a hill and down over a hill, and and he goes, yeah, go ahead. I said, well, let me have a read on it, you know, let me use your caddy like you have. So's caddy came over and he said, you have no shot, and I said, okay, but let's act like this.
Speaker 3: So there's a whole crowd there.
Speaker 2: And of course I didn't get it close, but you know that feeling of you're you're out there and it's just the par three. So I've spilled clubs, I've got a in my hand, and then you're like, I'm not ready for this, even for a celebrity event.
Speaker 3: That's another thing.
Speaker 2: When you play in those celebrity golf events, people think you're actually good.
Speaker 3: When I would play at Pebble.
Speaker 2: Beach, they'd be like right next to you and you're hitting shots and'll be like, man, I could hit you, and they go, oh, I go no, I could actually hit you with the club with the ball. But Masters is something spectacular, never tired.
Speaker 3: When you're there.
Speaker 2: You know, when you see it, it's as if you've seen it for the first time each time you go there eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show we will play in or out coming up and here is Luca. Luca got ejected from last night's game against Oklahoma City.
Speaker 3: He has.
Speaker 2: Seventy three technicals in the last five years, most in the NBA, and he talked about the ejection last night.
Speaker 4: You can see it. But you know, I never got a fen injecta. Never you If he's gonna talk, I'm going to talk about Nick only so that they had nothing to do with the rest. So I didn't really understand.
Speaker 2: Okay, So he got one technical for talking to the official. The other one he was talking to a fan and I think the official had rabbit ears and thought that he was talking to him and then he ran him. But Luca does not get benefit of the down.
Speaker 3: He doesn't.
Speaker 2: And Vincent Goodwill, who covers the NBA for Yahoo Sports, brought up something interesting. He said, you know, this is a child prodigy, so he has been enabled his entire career. Growing up he was a child prodigy and probably didn't hear no or that's you know, don't do that, and he might have that behavior that he's just carried into the NBA because he does complain an awful lot. But I thought that was interesting analysis on Luka Donchez. But you have the game coming up tonight and is over under I think is thirty and a half points against the former team?
Speaker 3: Uh pole?
Speaker 2: Question for the final hour of the program, then we'll play in or out? And why is Jalen Milroe going to the NFL draft Seaton.
Speaker 5: It's funny how prodigy being called a child prodigy can either be used as a positive or a negative. Yeah, it's probably really awesome for a while, but man, that sure is a slight right there.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 3: Well, I remember Mozart.
Speaker 2: You know, if you read about Mozart that he was a prodigy, but he was very enabled and was childlike overrated. Okay, whose career would you rather have? Mozarts or Luka Dunge.
Speaker 5: I don't know if Mozart's getting paid as much as you think he should be with all that music.
Speaker 6: Artist Maybe he is, but artists never get paid like that while they're alive.
Speaker 3: Music business is tough these days, gotta tell you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, streaming, Yeah, they didn't have Napster back then. With Mozart, didn't have to worry about that anybody's sampling his stuff.
Speaker 5: I think musicians right now kill to go back to the napster days rather than the Spotify.
Speaker 6: Era Mozart career salary game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how much did well? It's like Vincent van Go.
Speaker 2: Van Go didn't sell any of his art until he died and his brother was his agent.
Speaker 3: Turns out this is pretty good.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you see what Vinni's been working on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Vincent and Theo, Theo van Go didn't do a very good job selling his art.
Speaker 4: Yes, don didn't even sell us year. He got it off and just sent it to the girl in the mail.
Speaker 5: Okay, league with the least job security right now, and if the NBA's got fifty two percent of that vote, followed by the NFL, we also put up there the Denver Nuggets are nuts or doing the right thing right now? Ninety four percent of the audience have them as nuts, Denver nuts good nuts, gits, the Denver Nuts nuts gits all right, Paul, time to play in or.
Speaker 6: Out Mays and simple you say in or out?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 6: Nikola Jokic will win another title with another team in or out.
Speaker 3: I'm out.
Speaker 7: Out, I mean, chritzy out.
Speaker 6: You think he's finishing his career.
Speaker 2: There, Well, he's got three more years under contract. Yeah, then he'll be thirty three. I just wonder, I don't know how much he wants to play, Like, he'll have a Hall of Fame career, he'll have three hundred million dollars that he's made, and then maybe just goes back home and plays basketball.
Speaker 6: But since his game doesn't rely on explosiveness, him at thirty three could be similar to now, and he could sign a three year deal for two hundred and fifty million.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't know if he wants to play.
Speaker 4: I got it.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he enjoys it.
Speaker 2: But I mean he always talks about he just wants to go back home and you know, play with his horses.
Speaker 7: Yes, Ton, is it that hard to suck it up and play a few more years of basketball a few hundred million dollars more?
Speaker 8: Could you be that done?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm just throwing this ount there. I don't know. Can you love your.
Speaker 6: Horses and your donkeys? Just stick around a few.
Speaker 2: More years, Todd, I've got everything, and I'm going to retire, Okay, I've been called the joker of h I have heard.
Speaker 4: That on the street. I meant to tell you about that.
Speaker 3: What else?
Speaker 6: Here we go? The Warriors will be in the Western Conference finals, Fritzy, I'm out, Seaton out, Mark out out. Wow, not even the finals, not the final final in Western all right. If I could pick the Master's winner, it would be Rory McElroy. Damn, I'm going to you first.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm I'm in, I'm in.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: He completes the career Grand Slam. He's been through an awful lot. It felt like it was him against everybody from the Live tour. He was kind of the vocal critic of liv and you know, staunch defender of PGA tour.
Speaker 5: Yes, seton, did we just do a thing with Dylan on our Master's picks?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Is Rory on yours?
Speaker 2: No? I picked Scottie show. It sounds like you're out then what no rooting for?
Speaker 5: You're rooting for?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I I can root for Todd to do something good on the show.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's true. Here we go.
Speaker 6: I would take Sunday Masters tickets over Super Bowl tickets.
Speaker 3: I'm in.
Speaker 6: Marvin I'm out, Ritzy out Seaton and I'm in on Masters. That seems just so impossible.
Speaker 2: But you haven't been there. You've been to the super Bowl. But I will tell you to be there now. I'd much rather watch the Masters on TV than the super Bowl. But to be there in the moment, and you could actually set up shop wherever you wanted to. You could be on sixteen, you could be at eighteen, you could be twelve. Actually, twelve is the best vantage point because you you know, well, there's a couple of places there. Don't want to give away any trade secrets there, all right, Paul?
Speaker 4: What else?
Speaker 6: Last one? If I were Alabama quarterback Jalen Milroe, I would attend to the first round of the NFL Draft in Green Bay. Dan, you're gonna go last?
Speaker 2: Oh, Okay, Todd, I would not attend, Okay, Seton, I would go, Martha.
Speaker 3: I'm out, Paul, I'm in.
Speaker 6: I would go.
Speaker 2: I'm out. But is he going there for a payday? With some of the other things that you can do when you go to the draft? Is he actually going to the draft? Three NFL scouts told USA Today that they would be shocked if Jalen Milroe were picked in the first two days, first two days, so that's the first three rounds.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he's going there for business or is he going to go there and he's going to be on camera now he's if he's drafted high, then it might be Pittsburgh at twenty one seaton.
Speaker 5: I would go just it's the only time in your life you're going to get that invitation. It's never coming again. So yeah, I would go, And I would just go with the expectation of, like, all right, if I don't go today, then who cares. I still had fun today, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: But then you could not go the next day. So then that's rounds one, two, and three. I mean they the commissioner decided to do away with the put the camera on the draft pick.
Speaker 3: Who's sliding? Yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 6: According to NFL draft analyst for the Athletic Dane Brugler, Jalen Melroe, has accepted the invitation, will attend the draft in green bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, you know, things gets squirreling. He certainly had some great time. You know, his pro day he ran a four to three nine or something crazy like that, and all you have to do is look at that win against Georgia. He went twenty seven to thirty three, two touchdowns, rush for one hundred and seventeen yards, two touchdowns. They beat Georgia. I mean, if you look at that tape against an NFL quality defense that Georgia normally has. Okay, could you see Pittsburgh pulling the trigger here?
Speaker 3: Yes, Pauling.
Speaker 6: What about a team that has an established quarterback who's kind of on his way out, like the La Rams with Matthew Stafford. He probably has two more years and then it's over. And Jalen Milroe could sit there for a year or two and then step right in. That seems like he seems like a project player.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but then you might look at him and go, if you're the Colts, yeah, that's like Anthony Richardson, like and look what happened there? A ton of potential, freakishly athletic. But do you want to risk a first round draft pick there? Because Jackson Dart Shador Sanders cam Ward And you know, once again you're you're starting to get a little more. I checked in with my source with the Cleveland Browns man. He's not budget they are. They have to be under it. They you know, a cone of silence there because they said, got any indications here. And I was told that two through nine will take the best player available in his opinion, So teams two through nine are taken the best player available.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Therefore, there's not a strategy as much as who is that guy? Okay, Travis Hunter is there? Abdul Carter? Okay, do we take one of those guys? Okay, we'll take that guy. The Giants are then next? Do they take Abdul Carter? Do they take Travis Hunter? That's sort of the feeling that I got from a source of mine. But I don't know if Cleveland is out of the quarterback. I still think, and I'll go back to what I was told a long time ago before anybody else I think was talking about this, that Kirk Cousins after the draft, the Falcons will accommodate him and let him be traded to Cleveland. I don't know what that means with salary. I don't know any of that stuff, but I'll stay with it because I was told that that Kirk wants out, and the question is reworking his deal and what's Cleveland have to get to you know, compensation here, but maybe that's a fifth round draft pick?
Speaker 3: Yes, Marv?
Speaker 7: Is it just me? Or is this draft really lacking real star power? And that's what makes Jaylen Milrow such a you know, hot commodity. As far as attending the draft.
Speaker 2: Well, when somebody says, boy, interior lineman, eh, you know there's a run on interior linement, it doesn't exactly you know, get your pom poms out you need to have.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: That's why shud Or Sanders has been talked about so much because he's the one name player and then the other name player is his teammate, Travis Hunter. But Abdul Carter to me, could be a Hall of famer, you know, But we want to talk about the people that people are curious about, because I could tell you, you know, there's an interior defensive lineman who's going to be a Hall of Famer in this draft and you go, okay, there's no wide receivers really in this draft?
Speaker 7: Yes, mart Well, I think because the NFL is a copycat league. You got to look, Interior alignment have won Super Bowls and they've been a big part of it. So I think that kind of gauges people's interest.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're interested at all. They should be because that's how you build your team.
Speaker 7: Well, if you say, hey, this is the next Chris Jones, is the next Aaron.
Speaker 3: Donald, they don't care.
Speaker 2: The average fan is like, I need to know where Ashton Genti is going and shoudor Sanders Travis Hunter. That's what they want to know. Yeah, I'm sorry, that's really disappointed.
Speaker 7: If you're a real fan.
Speaker 3: I know, but we've seen this before. We need a bj Raji bj raji.
Speaker 7: He helped win a Super Bowl for the Packers. He cut good job. No, wow, I'm all in on the interior line in this sun. I know that that's what you need to win. That's why the Eagles won. They have the best offense. They have the best combination of offensive indepen. Why aren't we yelling at each other because we're an Emmy nominating sportstow good Sports Radio converts.
Speaker 2: All right, let me take a break. What kind of reception does Luca get tonight? What the hell happened in Denver? We'll try to get some answers coming up next here on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 9: I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 10: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 9: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 10: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: From five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show.
Speaker 10: Just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Lakers favored by four tonight against Dallas. Over under for Luca is thirty and a half. Lebron twenty four and a half. Make way for Tim McMahon ESPN, NBA Reporter and you can see his or listen to his podcast on the Hoop Collective, the band McMahon in the book The Wonder Boy, Luka duncik and the Curse of Greatness. Good to see you again, Tim. What kind of reaction do you think Luca gets tonight, Tudi Dan, It is going to be a surreal night here in Dallas. And look, this is a heartbroken fan base to this day, certainly a lot of anger, outrage in the wake of the trade that is starting to kind of turn into apathy.
Speaker 4: There will be nothing apathetic about the reception that Luca receives. And I this is going to be a fan base that felt betrayed by this trade, that is celebrating six and a half years of spectacular brilliance and mourning that it wasn't much much much longer than that. And then you know the Mavericks as an organization, they're in this awkward spot right. They dumped this dude. He didn't want out. He was closing on a house, his American forever home in Dallas, lost his earnest money. Not that he can't afford it, but you know, this guy was locked in long term to Dallas, couldn't wait to sign the super Max contract. They dumped them in the middle of the night. They pretty much publicly shamed him on the way out. And now they've got to show some appreciation. You like these Oh, these are these are classes should should soothe any hard feelings. These are the shirts on the seats tonight. I don't know how to pronounce that last word. There's you know, versyv. I don't know have alla sah to say verse whatever. Thanks for everything in Slovenian should certainly soothe any hard feelings.
Speaker 8: It will be.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you say, appreciate it pale in Slovenian. You know there will be a tribute video play, but let's just call it like we see it. This is going to be extraordinarily awkward because the only way that the Matters could attempt to justify trading a generational talent as he approaches his prime was to dump on him, was to cite the conditioning concerns, the culture concerns, you know, all those sort of things which mass fans didn't want to hear. You know, Lucas certainly felt a certain way about it. And then you know, Luca last night said he doesn't know how he's going to react. He's going to be emotional. He's used to being the enemy and Arenas he's used to kind of thriving off of that energy as we saw last night. He's used to kind of going back and forth with fans on the road. He's not used to an entire arena wrapping roat arena wrapping their arms around him and you know, kind of loving them up. And it'll be very interesting to see how he handles that.
Speaker 2: If Mark Cuban was still the majority owner, does this deal happen?
Speaker 4: Hell no, no, zero point zero percent ants. Cuban tried to talk Nico Harrison out of it, but Cuban got a i mean at five minute heads up, and there's this, you know, the equivalent of a handshake agreement on the deal. By the time Cuban got a heads up on it, but no when when Cuban lost juice that made this trade a remote possibility. And look, man Mark Cuban as the essentially as the general manager of the Mavericks for you know, twenty some odd years, had plenty of personal missteps going When we can go back to Steve Nash, the Porzingis trade ended up being a dud in Dallas. They completely bungled the brunts and situation. You know, I could go on and on. One thing he got right was that Luka Doncic was the guy to take the torch from Dirk. Luka Doncic was the guy to build around and Cuban's strategy with Luca, you know, to just put a bluntly, was to kiss his butt and make sure he did everything possible to ensure that Luca was happy in Dalla's long term. And I think that's a reasonable strategy with this level of superstar. Luca's not the only superstar and who gets his butt kissed on a regular basis. But they went from kissing his butt for six years to stabbing him in the back in year seven rush off of Finals appearance. There's no way that happens if Cuban's still in charge.
Speaker 2: You know, you speak about kind of enabling and kissing Luca's butt. You write the book The Wonder Boy The Curse of Greatness. We had Vincent Goodwill from Yahoo's Sports on last hour and he said, because I was asking about this behavior that Luca has, that he has seventy three technicals in the last five years, most of anybody in the NBA. And Vincent said, you know, he's been enabled his entire life, probably hasn't been told no, and is used to getting his way. You were around him writing this book. Can you see any kind of relationship between how he's brought up and how he acts on the court.
Speaker 4: I mean, listen, a lot of superstars around the NBA are enabled, and Lucas flaws are as obvious as his talent. There's two main flaws. The conditioning concerns, which honestly is as much about diet as it is conditioning. You know, does the guy enjoy a post game bruski or two skis? Yes, you know, his his post game routine and sometimes a summer routine are way too similar to mine, which you can get away with. Is a sports writer, you can you know?
Speaker 3: And but you know what's crazy.
Speaker 4: I say. I was about to say, you can't get away with it as an NBA superstar, but he he's a five time first team All NBA selection who hasn't at his prime. You know, he's been to the finals. He took another completely different supporting cast of the conference finals, and that's part of it. Is like you could tell him, hey, lookie, you got to change your approach. Lookie, you got to lay off the rest, you know, like the petulance is not helping you. But it's hard to say, dude, you've got to really change your ways when this dude was a legitimate MVP candidate before he he could legally buy one of those beers in America. I mean, at the age of twenty, he was putting up historically dominant numbers his rookie year. He arrived and it was like he was an instant star and the ascension was quick, and it's hard to say, hey, what you're doing is not working when yeah, it was, I mean, was it perfect? You know, could he have been better? You could argue that, but it's hard to say his way didn't work when his accomplishments at the age of now twenty six stack up with the very best who have ever played in the league.
Speaker 2: Tim mcmahony ESPN, NBA reporter covering Luca's return to Dallas, the Lakers and the MAVs seven thirty Eastern on the mother Ship, Mike Green, Doris Burg, Richard Jefferson will have the called in Tim's book, The Wonder Boy, Luca and the Curse of Greatness, now available online wherever books are. So we were shocked with Luca. We were shocked with what happened in Denver. Both are hard to explain. But with Denver at the end of the season, tell me what the logic is to do this right now, to fire your coach and GM.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and let's just be straight. Your shock Luke was traded, period, Your shock that Malone was fired now, yes, with a few games left in the regular season. Like everybody, it was not a secret that there had been more than a cold war, like just you know, pretty much warfare between Michael Malone and Cavin Booth. And the anticipation was this is gonna be one or the other this summer. Well, Josh Cronkey, you know, the face of the Nuggets ownership group basis on Now it's going to be both of them now. And what I was told is his explanation internally, you know, as he's meeting with people in the Nuggets organization, was Hey, this was an unsustainable situation and it felt like, you know, the plane was crashing and the co pilots were so busy bickering at each other and making it about themselves, talking about Michael Malone and Calvin Booth that he just needed to get them both out of the equation now, just looking at it from my perspective, with Michael Malone, he's the most successful coaching Nuggets history, wins record, both regular season playoffs a title two years ago. I would have thought that would have earned him the right to have one last crack at a playoff run to try to save his job, but Josh Kroncky decided, no, we need to get these guys out of the mix right now, and in his mind, that's the only way they're going to have a chance to salvage this season and put together a playoff run.
Speaker 3: Do you think Luca ends his career in Denver? Luca in Denver?
Speaker 2: I mean, Joe, sorry, I mean to shock you.
Speaker 4: Listen, I've been shocked by Luca transactions before Joker.
Speaker 3: Do you think Joker and his career in Denver?
Speaker 4: You know, so, one thing I always try to be careful about is putting words in somebody's mouth or speaking on something that I haven't spoken directly to a person about. So with that clarification, what I would say is everything about Joker is indicated that he's kind of cut from that dirt cloth, you know, that that extreme loyalty. You know why, Dirk he does have a championship, so it's not like he maybe will have to chase a ring somewhere else down the stretch of his career. So my guess would be that, yes, he is a Denver nugget from start to finish his career. But I mean, if that situation melts down in Denver and he looks around and it's you know, and he's playing on a mediocre team, I don't know, and you know what, maybe maybe he just says, to hell with it. I'm gonna go ride some ride my horses in Serbia.
Speaker 3: I'll give you okc or the field in the West.
Speaker 4: I still take Oklahoma City and look, man, the thunder are going to set the NBA record for the best point differential in a season that's not nothing. Have they done it? Have they made a deep playoff run? Obviously not, But this is a team that gave the Mavericks a hell of a series last year. The cumutive score in that series was even, by the way, dead even so, gave the Mavericks the best fight in the Western Conference, and then got significantly better bringing in Isaiah Hartenstein, bringing in Alix Caruso, two veteran role players Crusoe with championship experience that fit perfectly, and then internally, all their young guys got better, including the guy who's probably going to be the MVP of the league this year, Shake Gilders Alexander, who by the way, was spectacular in the playoffs last year. Yeah, this dude is significantly better than it was last year as the MVP runner up. Jalen Williams first All Star appearents, you know, learn from a disappointing playoff run. So yes, I would take okay se against the field in the Western Conference. Having said that, literally from the one to eight series on, they're going to be facing quality competition. They're going to be in a fight every single playoff series.
Speaker 2: And that loss by Minnesota last night was mind boggling and costly.
Speaker 3: How do you I, I.
Speaker 2: Know they're a dangerous team, but they're dangerous to themselves as well. Tim no doubt, I don't understand that you blow a lead that big.
Speaker 4: Well, and the Timberwolve's biggest flaw by a country mile, is they stink at closing games. They're a good comeback team, but protecting a lead, they're awful. And I think a big part of that is you have a young, ascending star and Anthony Edwards who is very much still learning on the job, a brilliant talent, a guy who you love to have is the foundation piece of your franchise, but twenty three years old, and you know he's not He's not like a Luca or a Lebron or a Joker in the sense of like just has this unbelievable natural feel. You know, those guys like Jimmy Hendricks, they pick up a guitar and they just feel it, they just know how to play it. Or Anthony Edwards is learning how to read sheet music and sometimes it's like, I don't want to see that crap. And you know his tendency is to lean into hero ball down the stretch of games, and a lot of times that blows up in his face, in the Timberwolves face, and that's why there might be a seven seat or an eight seed instead of a two or three.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you always, great, good luck with the book. Thanks for joining us, Tim, appreciate you having me. That's Tim McMahon, ESPN NBA Reporter. Also he has a podcast on The Hoop Collective and his new book, The Wonder Boy. It's Luca in the Curse of Greatness. You start to look at these coaches who have won championships since twenty fifteen. There's two head coaches still with their respective teams. You have Steve Kerr with Golden State, and you have Joe Missoula with the Boston Celtics. Michael Malone and Mike Budenholzer who was with the Bucks. He was let go in twenty twenty three. Frank Vogel, he won a championship with the Lakers. He was let go in twenty twenty two. Nick Nurse, four years after guiding Toronto to a title, he was let go. Ty Lou brought a title to Cleveland three straight NBA Finals. He was fired six games into the twenty eighteen twenty nineteen season. There's not a lot of patience going on in sports now when it comes to your coach or your manager, because the average stay in all of these sports is around three years. I mean, imagine in your job if you go, man, be here, maybe three years. Like we lock in for jobs for a long time, at least you think you are. But these guys they're in it, and you're like, uh, I don't know. I want a title a couple of years ago, but my job's in jeopardy. Alex in Utah, Hi, Alex, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey, morning, guys. I'm just calling to just to congratulate you. I mean, just looking at the list of the other nominees, it's just so cool to see.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: You know, what is it a team of thirteen that are able to compete against like these huge networks. And what it is for me, I think that sets you guys apart, is that you guys tell the story of sports. I think in a way that other shows don't. Other shows don't. I feel like I'm a relatively new fan of sports, and so for you guys to be able to break down not just like eras and players and teams. But to break down like the stories of like why this team was monumental or why this player is so monumental is really helpful for someone somewhat of a novice for sports. And so I just don't think anyone does it like you, guys. So thanks for the last thanks for the stories, and thanks for the great sports radio conversation.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Alex. I treat you the audience the way I want to be treated. That's really what it is. You know, treat me with respect. You know, don't have silly takes, to have silly takes, get people on that are interesting, have a sense of humor. The teamwork that we have, and it is teamwork every single day. That's important. And you know, we've been very lucky. It's not by accident that this happens. We'll take a break, last golf for phone calls, what we learned, what's in store tomorrow, and this dang sports history.
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls, What we learn, what's in store tomorrow, Dwight Howard, former Laker Orlando Magic going into the Hall of Fame. He'll join us on the program tomorrow. This Day in Sports History. Final results of the poll question. We got a few things to get to Dustin in Alabama. Hey, Dustin, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: Yes, thank you, I'm so proud of us for the Emmy nomination. I want to get all this in real quick. Well, I'd love to talk about my tide and Jalen Melroe or mel Kiper's my graft and Shador going to my Saints. Today's April Night, twenty twenty five. My youngest son, Taylor Grant's twelfth birthday, and eleven years ago, on what would be his very first birthday, I had the one in the lifetime opportunity by friend. I got invited. I'll expense paid trip to go to the Masters, of which I had decline in my son's very first birthday. Whoever life has irony all in it that year Bubba Watson won. My son has grown up and played golf. Speaking of child prodigies this very past year, Bubba Watson is very involved with the youth activities we do down here with golf, my son, my two sons played him and a bunch of other teams in a putt putt golf tournament and it came down to my two kids, Bubba Watson his teammate, of which they lost in a playoff. However, hopefully in ten to fifteen years we see my son Baylor and Jim Nancece telling a good backstory at the Masters. So just wanted to use my time to tell my son, thank you, Dustin.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dustin.
Speaker 2: Although if you had to do it again and your son's first birthday are all expense paid trip to Augusta, what would you have done?
Speaker 11: Oh, I didn't know it's still in there. Uh yeah, I would have gone to the mat.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, that's all I want to hear. That's it. Thank you, dust Thank you. Do drive safely, by the way. This stay in sports history, Paul.
Speaker 6: Was a good one. Good topic there. The Brooklyn Dodgers opened ebittts Field in nineteen thirteen. In nineteen forty five, this is a good one. The NFL officials decreed that is mandatory that players wear this in all league games going forward. What is this? Fill in the blank. Nineteen forty five officials said all players must wear what.
Speaker 3: In games, face mask socks.
Speaker 6: Players were not wearing socks.
Speaker 5: Come on, game, it's getting socked sticklers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: In nineteen sixty five, the Houston Astrodome hosted its first ever baseball game.
Speaker 2: And do you know what happened in that game? No, I think baseball's first indoor home run was hit. I think by Mickey Mantle. I think the first indoor home run, not inside the park, but inside the dome was hit by Mickey Mantle.
Speaker 3: I believe.
Speaker 2: On the State nineteen eighty one, Fernando made his Dodger debut beat the Astros. He won Rookie of the Year and Cy Young. It's hard to kind of explain that to a whole different generation what Fernando Mania was. I remember there were stories on the nightly news, not nightly news sports cast. This was nightly news, nonsports.
Speaker 6: And it was about Fernando Mania. Yeah, Pauline, you confirm you're right. Mickey Mantle hit the first home run in the Houston Astrodome. It was sold just last year for a twelve thousand dollars at Baseball.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought, you went the dome. That's a good deal. Well, they brought the dome down so you could have bought.
Speaker 5: It, I guess yeah, Isle of Dome, Yeah, cinder blocks or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I think that's it for this day. Oh, this is one of my favorite days. This is nineteen seventy eight. David Thompson and George Gervin are battling for the scoring title. David scores seventy three, but Ice was with San Antonio. He scores sixty three, and he wins the scoring title twenty seven point two two points per game to twenty seven point one five. Yeah, yes, no three pointers back then?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 7: Neither of those games were televised either.
Speaker 6: No, but.
Speaker 2: Ice knew what David had done, and he played later and then he knew he had to get sixty whatever sixty three points to win the scoring title. That happened with David Robinson as well. I think he won a scoring todd he had he had seventy one. Yes, Marvin, what is.
Speaker 7: It feeling like? Because you would know better than I. What's that feeling like? You know what I'm gonna go off tonight?
Speaker 3: Score thirty uh in the half or a game? Just in a game?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I didn't know if you meant like a a half well, when you get the green light, nothing better, you know, just give me the green light.
Speaker 3: That's all I want.
Speaker 6: An inside joke.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that was I don't know if John Legend was talking about the green light the way I just wanted to shoot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a shot, yes, yes, Todd.
Speaker 4: When did you realize it wasn't your night? Or do you always have to try to shoot your way out of it and then find your.
Speaker 2: I always thought it was my night. Yeah, on the court. Off the court, it was never my night. I was shooting off the cord too, but I wasn't making anything. But yeah, you got to You gotta keep going. Your team needs you to get some shots up there. That's what I kept thinking. All right, find a results of the poll question.
Speaker 5: Seaton, you got up there right now, the Denver Nuggets are dot dot dot dot. Right now, ninety four percent of our audience say they are nuts. Okay, there's a lot of fun and then league with the least job security. Right now, the NBA has got about fifty one percent of that vote.
Speaker 3: Todd, would you learn today I think they're the Denver nuts?
Speaker 7: Gets?
Speaker 5: Based on the poem, Seaton, would you learn I'm rooting for Scott Van Pelt this year.
Speaker 3: Let's go, buddy, Marvin.
Speaker 7: You don't want a Lifetime Achievement Award. No Paul svp over eight Todd What did I learn?
Speaker 4: All fans in attendance for the Lakers Mass nine Doubts will receive Thanks for Everything t shirts printed in Slovenian Worrying.
Speaker 2: Tire rack dot com the official tire expert. I heard from our friend Dan at tire Rack yesterday congratulating us on the Sports Emmy. We're all together, fans are sponsors tire rack dot com. The Tired Decision Guide makes it really easy. Special offers free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation. Tire rack dot com the way tire buying should be. Have a great day, everybody. We'll talk to you tomorrow.