Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the Trend Report. Week Trend, I prefer the week trend.
Speaker 2: Oh man, you know how people talk about how like memes before, you know, like like you know, sort of jpeg making the gift type reaction. Memes was just people like reciting movie quotes over and over. It really, when I really think about that, I'm like, yeah, that's that was truly one of my favorite pastimes in college, getting around, have a few bruis puff anal or two and then just start saying stuff from fucking dumb and dumber in context, Oh big gulps, huh.
Speaker 1: Grilla is hot, Luke, I have it like from random like random places.
Speaker 3: What's the most random movie that you would do?
Speaker 1: Movie random? Oh my god, miles of I'm sorry random, I'm random, So I don't I don't know if my habit. I was just thinking like, yeah, I have Meet the Parents quote like not that the random, but it's just like.
Speaker 3: Which one cool?
Speaker 1: The The gorilla is hot? The pool is Luke Wilson's character, and that is like really stuck with me. Just one.
Speaker 2: I remember where he's where he's talking about making an altar or a.
Speaker 3: There was that one that I remember from that scene.
Speaker 1: My man j C was a jew. Yeah, you're in good company, You're in good company. That character really got me. But I feel like, didn't you know, I'll quote it and not many people will get it, and I'm glad because it's not cool to quote meet the parents.
Speaker 2: I know it is. It is an interesting one. That that one we used to do.
Speaker 3: Uh oh is it called a jerusale tulip puzzle?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right. You don't know shit about flowers.
Speaker 2: That was one we used to say a lot too, is you don't know shit about flowers anyway, But here we are twenty.
Speaker 1: Twenty of the time when people are trying to pretend like they know about flowers, you got to put them down.
Speaker 3: Damn that she came out in two thousand. Yeah, I thought.
Speaker 1: It's an eleven world.
Speaker 3: Oh lord.
Speaker 1: Oh anyway, Jack O'Brien, that is Miles Gray, Yes, and yeah, we're here to tell you about some of the things that are trending from the weekend.
Speaker 3: Hey, Greg, what's your portfolio?
Speaker 1: Like? Oh? Strong strong, too, very strong, strong to quite strong as always there? Uh yeah, man, you got to strike while the iron's hot. Just really that that whole scene. I think I've only seen it like once or twice, but that whole wow really embedded well as you can tell. I like have some of the quote wrong quite strong, very strong or whatever. Anyways, Miles, we got to tell the people what we think is overrated and underrated, so they get to know us a little bit better and where we're at, where we're coming from. Mm hmmm. Do you want to kick us off with something you think is should we go underrated first? Do we do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do whichever underrated for me? Because we've been talking about stand culture and I really it really hit me this weekend. My sports religiosity is I'm I think I'm underrating it, although I do the only tattoo I do have on my body is of Arsenal, so in that sense I should have known.
Speaker 3: But the new Premier League season.
Speaker 2: Started on and Harry Kane is off to Germany. He no longer plays for Tottenham. He has been sent to Munich to play for Bayern Munich. So good luck with you over there. Sorry, but yeah, Ben said, yeah, so I don't know. I just like I was realizing that my my brain is officially begun to missfire as like I place inor just an inordinate amount of like my hopes and dreams into how Arsenal performs. And there's like a meme where it like when the season starts, and like there's a guy like going into work. He's like, well, it's I'm off to let eleven random men determine my mental health.
Speaker 3: For the next eight months.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: So I'm just like I was just like, yeah, I had family in town. I'm like waking up early. I'm like showing the baby. I'm like, this is this is who we are, this is.
Speaker 3: What we do.
Speaker 2: You know, it's we had our first Yeah, we won two one two one. Also, although we just signed a guy, he did his meniscus in the game and like like one of our big marquee signings in the summer, it's like you just see him literally out of nowhere, just like move like not even an impact injury. No one was near me, and just like fell to the ground. You're like, oh so again, just watching this random young dutch man fall over grabbing his knee.
Speaker 3: Just shook me to my fucking core the rest of the day. Uh. But again, it's I think it's because I gave up on Christ. You know good here I am.
Speaker 1: This is what you have to replace it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have replaced it.
Speaker 1: I have. I've converted to just being a Taylor Swift fan.
Speaker 3: And at least there's like bracelets involved.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Like when you get together there are like all kinds of people, whereas when I get together with Arsenal, people just take a bunch of like.
Speaker 3: Gen X and older, like millennial dudes, just like, yeah, how long have you been watching man?
Speaker 1: Well? I wouldn't know anything about that because the seventy six ers are doing great and it's not at all messy over the weekend. Yeah, or second barrel to me vowed that he will never play for our team again. Uh so yeah, yeah, it is what it is. But hey, I'm distracting myself with other stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like what what's what's some of your things? Underrated? What have you been distracted?
Speaker 1: Serious? American roads are I'm on my car kick, I'm on my anti car kick about how heavy cars are in the US. How bad it's just I think it really is just having kids and like going out for walks with kids and realizing you are like boxed in by speeding death vehicles like a like all over the place in an American city, and so you know that's just constantly there. So I was doing one of our former writers that cracked, Ian forty, was posting about how I believe he's a Canadian, but he was posting about how the US, you know, car safety metrics, car deaths used to be tracking along with France, like from the seventies to the nineties. They were declining. They were doing things like making people wear seat belts, asking people pretty forcefully not to drink and drive. Like these things that kind of started at that time and now are just kind of assumed and a part of our culture. And so the deaths both in France in the US, we're going down over the over that period of time. And then they became uncoupled in the early nineties when everything went to shit, and now you're three like three times as likely to die from a car related death than someone in France. Just for no reason. We like we have access to the same shit, we just don't use it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean it's also wild too, because like as I as I gear up to go for like a trip with the baby and her majesty and like looking at like the laws of like driving with a baby in like Europe, like they're like, yeah, if you're like in a cab, like you don't need a car seat, like you're like, yeah, it's fine, like let's hold them or whatever. And my American brain is like, but what about when a tanker truck fucking t bones you and you die in a fucking ball of flames and there it's like truly because just statistically it's just just safer to drive that, like those regulations are there, and I don't know if that is necessarily the safest course of action, but again you definitely see that sort of reflected in like what the regulations are in other countries or like oh yeah, like if they're like a trained cab driver, like that's that's fine, Like if it's actually had vehicle.
Speaker 1: Go through ten years of training there you know how to drive, like Jason Statham in that uh Audi sponsored movie.
Speaker 2: Whereas like in America, like it's all like the hunt for like the most fucked up DMV office where you know, like it's like people who are like trying to kick heroin or administering the driving test so you can get a driver's license as quickly and easily as possible.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean it's like speeding cameras, Like it's some annoying shit, right that, like it's not going to be popular to be like we need to use cameras to track people's speeds so they can't you know, get away with going sixty down a you know, residential street or whatever. Right, But there there's also just smart We've talked before about like street road like Strode problems, like just the way US cities are designed. But there are ways of getting around that by you know, making making just things safer. They there's like weight taxes. There's a tax on like inefficient vehicles that makes that can cost you like forty.
Speaker 2: Here in his fucking woke dude, that's all I'm here. Could you imagine what that would just like the weight tax would send like the Midwest and like parts of the country into just just chaos being like, yeah, well I'm being.
Speaker 4: Punished because I got a heavy duty vehicle for what Also because it's just because of the physics of it, like it's harder to stop because it's so massive and dense that right, it's actually an additional threat vector on the road.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever, the fact that the f one fifty. Super producer Brian is pointing out the f one fifty the number one selling vehicle in America for like forever now, and it just gets before we were born, bigger and bigger.
Speaker 3: I remember when the Ford f one fifty you'd be like, oh, that's kind of like the broke boy Ford truck.
Speaker 2: It's like call me when you got a two fifty or three fifty.
Speaker 1: You know it has like jet engines and yeah, yeah, now terry grid like tank wheels.
Speaker 2: Remember the Ford Ranger. What happened to that good old compact pickup?
Speaker 1: You know what, I'm still out here in Los Angeles. They're still still hanging out. You know.
Speaker 2: I think they've but I think they're like redid it. So it's like just some kind of gigantic car again. And you're like, yeah, the twenty twenty four Ranger Raptor, the of course that's a fucking Raptor. And like, look, dude, Jack, look at the fuckings again. Think of the Ford Ranger of our childhood and where it is now. It's like a four door fucking fuck fest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this looks like it was designed to hunt. Jason Bourne to.
Speaker 3: That that's a joke.
Speaker 1: From a show called College Friends or Friends from College or something that I got from that.
Speaker 3: Wasn't that a movie with Michael Key.
Speaker 1: It was a show. It was a streaming show. Had a handful of really good jokes. But anyways, Yeah, it's a mess out there. I don't know. I would love to live in a place that like the other thing they did is like redesigned cities and towns to be pedestrianized, is what they call it. And you know that just seems everything is designed in order, Like over there it's designed for people, and here it's designed for commerce. And so it's just it's just a man.
Speaker 2: You work for the economy, remember that, right, You don't know, seems like a thing where we'd be like, hey, people to judge is like transportation secretary, Like this must be a thing that you were thinking about and constantly working on. No, I did this for free tickets to like big events, right, fucking you see what I did? See it happened when the fucking airlines melted down last year. I did fuck all about it. What are you talking about? Just here for the fucking business card?
Speaker 3: Baby?
Speaker 1: Yeah all right? What uh? What's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: The fucking just the life cycle, fanfare, explosion of the that motherfucker back there.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, but he is not real.
Speaker 2: Okay, the lady on the plane, that motherfucker is not real, lady, just the whole cycle of this story. I'm so over it, and I do not appreciate the outsized attention that it is getting. Because you remember, there's a viral video of a woman on American Airlines flight how she kept she was like clearly having she was distressed. She's having some kind of mental health situation, as she even says herself like later on and was insistent that like this dude who was on the plane back there is not fucking real. And then first people were like, wow, look it's wild on American Airlines, and other people were like.
Speaker 3: See, dude, it's the fucking matrix. This lady fucking is seeing it.
Speaker 2: And now she this woman is like she was like doxed by the New York Post last week and they fucking put her like name her, fucking like where she lives, what she does for a job, and so on top of it, Like, so she's gotten viral on multiple levels. But then people like trying to like drive by her house, and figure out like if she's like the fucking neumorpheus or some shit. And then now she's like coming out and turning this into a thing like where she posted a video where she's like, I'm really sorry for my behavior, like, but I really need to pay this forward by like I want to raise like awareness around mental wellness, et cetera, et cetera. But then she didn't even have like a real specific plan for what that is, and it's just it's like having this second life that is just so absurd. And then meanwhile, I'm looking on like weird sort of conspiracy theory subreddits where they are now adamant that they believe she was put up to making this like self taped like statement where she was.
Speaker 1: Like she's like at gunpoint in this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly being like because she can't say the real thing, which is that she saw through the fucking matrix, right, and and rather than just saying like, hey, I was going through a lot, like I really it's kind of was an embarrassment for me. I'm also just want to like going viral is like really fucked up. Like it's caused me a lot of stress also for something I really never meant to happen, So like there's just like all these layers.
Speaker 3: Of like fucked up around this story.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we now we're getting like a second win with like her statement and then people not believing it. Not that that's the main thrust is and people don't believe her statement, but there's still like just this whole video has like set off all kinds of little miniature fires in people's brains and it's really weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is. I mean the thing that so we've talked about how like the thing that's different about this is obviously there are cameras, like you know, people and having mental health crisis for ever since time immemorial, but now like there are cameras there to capture it. But I also think like something else made the general public kind of obsessed with it. Like the stuff that I've heard people getting interested in it is them being like, yeah, I feel like there probably was a person who was not real back there, Like it feels like it's like cool, what there is a broad like subtle mental health crisis are not so subtle mental health crisis like happening just at large, like people are struggling and this is just like people were more interested in this than they would have otherwise been because I think everybody's like going through some shit. I heard somebody talking at a children's birthday party about.
Speaker 3: About how that motherfucker was not real talking about my.
Speaker 1: Kid exactly that kid. There's no way that kid's real. Talking about how they'd like gone to Burning Man last year. They were like it was like really bad vibes. I don't know, like what it was. I think the weather was a little bit off like last year vibes than usual, Like, yeah, they'd gone there before, and they were like last year in particular, like after the pandemic, like everybody was coming out and like they expected one thing and it just like felt different. It felt bad, and like I don't know, I just I think we're all still struggling, you know. Oh, it's like a lot of mental health shit. And you put a bunch of people on drugs in the middle of the desert and expect like the good vibes to return and it's maybe not going to not going to happen right away. This is not Burning Man. It was a bad idea or that it's not going to be great this year. But like, I just think there's like an unacknowledged like added ingredient of everybody going through some shit right now.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean we talked about this too, like with the pandemic, Like we've yet to have a real like reckoning with what that was like first, that first like fourteen months was like and even though now we're still in the midst of it. I mean, yeah, there's check out the new strain airis coming to a fucking city near you. U. But like to not be able to really talk about that and understand how difficult that was and how much stress that caused for people, Like, yeah, like.
Speaker 3: A lot of us are carrying that shit.
Speaker 2: I mean it luckily like I started therapy like in earnest in twenty twenty, Yeah, so like I was able to navigate it a little bit better. But I mean so many of the things I was feeling at the time were to do with the fact that like I just couldn't really make sense of everything. But also like my empathy and like sympathy was like just going in a million directions at once, and like.
Speaker 3: Also trying to figure out like what my place was.
Speaker 2: It was a very it was fucking with people, and yeah, to not talk about it and we just kind of get back out there, chins up, get.
Speaker 1: Back out there, Chap, get a manager.
Speaker 2: And you can't sue anymore butt pats all day. Yeah, so it's just a freaky.
Speaker 1: My overrated is the Elon Musk Zuckerberg fight story? Uh to Apparently Zuckerberg's now saying like Elon Musk flaked and he's not a serious and uh that he is moving on.
Speaker 3: I fight me, just a regular old brown person. I'm sure you put your hands on me.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Oh why can't Why shouldn't Like I feel like that could be a thing, Like couldn't you be like what if I like, what if you just wanted to fight one of us? Plenty of people will fight you on Twitter if you're looking for something, And hey, dude, Elon, hit me up like I might even fucking throw the fight man to make you look cool. Just psych I hit him with a fucking elbow, like straight out the fucking gate and be.
Speaker 3: Like there it is. Is this your king?
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's yeah. The story is just I think I mean it, I really wanted to happen, So I don't want to be dishonest about the fact that I really would have liked to see this just because that's that's where we're at. But I do understand like how this is also another thing though too that is absorbing so much oxygen, but like in a way that I think it's probably the best thing to happen to both of them, where they're kind of like, yeah, no one's really talking about like how fucked up we actually are as like business people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I guess it's. Yeah, it's a mess. It just feels like we we now live in I think our first story is going to be about this that like the what what is happening in the media is completely cut off from any reality, so it's just like a a factor of like what what people want essentially. Yeah, yeah, it's like a wish fulfillment machine. So uh are right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back, And uh I wanted to talk about the Little Tay death hoax because you know, it was just this wild thing. If you don't know, littl Tay was like a nine year old influencer who was like you know.
Speaker 2: And now with Bad Barbie and like all of them, and was known as like the youngest flex her thing was like, I'm the youngest flexer on Instagram. She was like money phoning and like with luxury vehicles, had a wild ass mouth and people were like, what the fuck is this thing?
Speaker 3: And then faded into obscurity pretty quick.
Speaker 1: She just like stopped posting twenty eighteen, and then there was this post that was like she and her brother died kind of suddenly and we're dealing with the grief and the trauma. And it got reported out like it was a Instagram post, but like the La Times, we're willing to report it based on the statement.
Speaker 2: Despite getting this Insider even reported if I fell for that.
Speaker 1: The BBC didn't. And there's there's a good thread from the journalist who was in charge of chasing it down that I just want to read real quick, like I'll read from it. He was like, yeah, that was like my job to report this. They were like, okay, you know this is apparently happening. Can you find out, like do the back background checking, And so he reached out to her management. Her management didn't reply. He reached out to the police. The police didn't reply. Uh. There there were alarm bells ringing for me because the social media page had been inactive for five years. I also contacted multiple police forces, both in the US and in Canada, where I'll say had links with No police were aware of the death. I did this via email as well as on the phone. There were a lot of questions, and from teenplus years of experience, press officers often give more information on background when it's not in writing. But there's no information on background, No police force was aware of any incident, so he just didn't write about it.
Speaker 3: Therefore could not say this may have been a thing that happened.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it's just it's basically being like, yeah, this is what journalism is. I called her family, I called local police. I couldn't find any evidence that it was true, so he didn't report it. It's just one of those like invisible things that happens behind the scenes that prevents our entire world of information from dissolving into chaos. It doesn't need to happen, like, nobody's making money off of it in the United States, and therefore it's not going to happen in the United States, right right, So what people are making money off of is whatever the story is that's going to be the most sensational, which is that this child has died, and y.
Speaker 2: And one too that has like a really dark backstory. Like I I'm personally I became obsessed with Lil Tay when she first came out because I was like, what is this little girl doing out here, like not in school, clearly being put up to like do this performative shit talking on Instagram. And then like when you dig deep, like there was like reports that her mother, who's a real estate agent, was like using these homes that she was showing as a real estate agent to provide like the backdrop of like perceived wealth for these posts. Uh, and was getting in trouble. Then there was all these like reports about like abuse from her like her parents and not like her father being like a like a villainous character here. And so even when this happened too, this was like another thing where people like just with the little bits of information that were out there, like a lot of people are like, oh my god, this makes so much sense when you couple that with the thing you've heard about her family and this that and the other, and like her brother taking over the account and them not wanting the brother to be able to control the account, and like people were saying like it was like a murder suicide and shit, yeah, it's wild how quickly it just goes off the rails. And what's funny is I remember going on Reddit when this was like this story came out.
Speaker 3: Because I was like, what the fuck are people talking about?
Speaker 2: And the lack of media literacy from people on the internet is I'm I shouldn't be surprised, but my god, there are people Someone said, you know, it could have been a murder suicide, and someone's like, you really need to post, like you shouldn't just say that, you need to post an article that like actually reinforces this, otherwise what you're doing is really reckless. That person then posts a link from s NBC dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh yeah, so that's like at an S class of CNBC.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: It's like the luxury vehicle version.
Speaker 3: Oh you a C class NBC and I'm in that. I'm in a my bach NBC.
Speaker 2: Actually, uh but like the but then people are like, oh, okay, thank you, and.
Speaker 5: I'm like I was looking at that shit, I'm like, this is not even that's somebody using your visual habit of making sense of s NBC or MSNBC to think that that's a real link.
Speaker 2: The website was total garbage, and then people were like again like yeah, wow, so sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're also headed for like I think this is the way that AI is going to actually upend things in the near future, Like is that I mean AI is going to be flooding the zone with shit to quote fucking Steve Bannon. And the media is just as small and underfunded as it's been in like decades, and so it just feels like our reality perceiving apparatus is about to like is in danger of breaking down in some crazy ways. And oh yeah, I mean there's all sorts of I feel like we're going to see a lot of a lot more people like like death announces because this got a ton of attention. So like people who are trying to I don't know, manipulate or get funding.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you could prompt chat gpt to to create a scandal based off of existing like scandals already surrounding a person of interest and like ask it to then just continue that to the next step, you know what I mean, And then from there it is like in the same way, it's just going to prey upon what people kind.
Speaker 3: Of half know about someone and then you just.
Speaker 2: Kind of connect all these dots and like oh yeah, yeah, yeah, of course, of course, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Clint Eastwood used to fucking eat horseheads.
Speaker 2: That's like his thing, although allegedly, allegedly, allegedly alleged.
Speaker 1: Everyone I spoke to is very helpful and professional, but there was nothing I couldn't confirm little Tayaner brother had died, and so BBC News couldn't report it. That's that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Did La Times say anything like as like after they reported, and we're like, here's I guess they're her manager from before.
Speaker 1: But this is like a social media the manager of a social media personality, so like it's just you know, it's not like an official person was I guess saying like he was like there's no way it was actually hackers, like he was blaming them for it or whatever. But I mean, just the very boring legwork of talking to people is what stands between us and utter chasts. And I can't imagine there are enough people out there doing it, you know.
Speaker 2: No, especially like a not a story like this too, where right people like yeah, yeah, probably all right, cool.
Speaker 1: Printed yeah, all right, let's let's talk about the Maui fire, Yeah, because it you know, it's surpassed the twenty eighteen campfire in terms of death and destruction.
Speaker 2: Which I had no fucking idea that that that's what it was. But like, you know, before that was, like you know, everyone was like the Camp twenty eighteen campfire just rushed through that community, destroyed everything.
Speaker 3: But yeah, i'd know idea that.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's being said enough first of all, but the Mali fire, that's like, I mean, people are saying it, but like it it definitely takes a backseat to a lot of their reporting. The reason I bring this up because it just, you know, shocker American colony receives fuck all after disaster. And I know Hawaii is a state, but like, let's be real, the way it's treated, it's like it's off the mainland. It's it gets some attention only when it benefits the United States, like for military installations or tourism.
Speaker 3: But you know, when you.
Speaker 2: Look at it, there's a lot of stories about like how the people of Maui are.
Speaker 3: Like resilient to the point that like you think, like they need no help.
Speaker 2: They've come together, and like now this story is just about a matter of them getting back on their feet.
Speaker 3: But when you listen to the people.
Speaker 2: Who live there who are affected the most, they've been screaming about a lack of assistance from the government. There are plenty of everyday volunteers obviously that have been like sufficiently motivated to help out their fellow neighbors. But the biggest complaint, and the most consistent complaint of from residents is that the federal response is fucking lacking, especially when you have you got so much fucking military infrastructure right over there in Oahu, Like, uh, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: And so the most I was saw over the weekend was fucking Oprah's ass inserting herself in the narrative because she tried to bring a fucking camera crew into an evacuee shelter.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Luckily, the officials there were like, oh, yeah, we have a policy of like not exploiting people's fucking tragedy, Like, so you can't bring a fucking camera crew in here, and you're fucking for real. So she had to settle for like a dramatic fucking monologue in the parking lot where she talked about, oh everything she's seen. Meanwhile, a lot of people are pissed because they're like, you bought so much land on Maui that like fuck you, like you should have Like you're displacing people just with your wealth and the amount of land you're buying, which is like a huge thing already with with uh, like Mainlanders coming to Hawaii. The Wall Street Journal had a piece that was just sort of like praising the locals, like for quote.
Speaker 3: Not going anywhere. They're not going anywhere type of shit.
Speaker 1: And it's like of like a story. You get the hopeful stories out there first, so the people are willing to read.
Speaker 2: And like, I don't know, this playbook is so fucking consistent like of obscuring the scale of suffering, like especially when the affected group is not predominantly white, or if the event happens like off the mainland, like you know, look at like Puerto Rico. Yeah, it's the same thing like that. So it was a night like this Hawaii was had their eyes set upon it by Americans there like.
Speaker 3: Hey, mamb some fucking sugar off this shit. Do a lot of shit with this motherfucker if we annexit.
Speaker 2: And what's also really interesting is like because like the way Hawaii has evolved over time, it's like been it's been turned into this like tourist trap essentially, where all of the resources and opportunity go towards those money making endeavors.
Speaker 3: And on Maui.
Speaker 2: Specifically, a lot of people have talked about like water right, those are all being prioritized for, like the resorts and the tourist areas, and it's causing like drought conditions that only exacerbated that fucking fire right.
Speaker 3: So it's like a very deep you.
Speaker 2: Know, colonization was rearing its head again even with this story, although at all the reporting is like, oh, the people of Maui, you're coming together, or like you hear these anecdotal stories where people like we were there on vacation and like what we saw from the locals brought us to tears rather than like it's bringing me to tears with how we're turning our backs on people we call quote unquote American. Because then then like there's also another dark element too of like the areas that were burned down, Like a lot of wealthy people have been looking to buy that land, but locals didn't want to sell, and now because of their situation, like they may be more motivated to now sell that land because of the fire.
Speaker 3: It's like so it's like tragedy upon tragedy.
Speaker 2: But you know that a lot of the reporting would have you think it's like, man, it's okay, folks, just go back to everything.
Speaker 3: It's not a not a climate disaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is a thing that happens, like people. People do take care of each other, like on a local level, like in a in inspiring ways in these climate disasters. And I think there's probably always going to be a tendency of the mainstream media to try and just use that to like paper over the enormous failings that also happen, right because this government is not designed for anything other than commerce, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, or just being like okay, you want that land, all right, we'll keep them out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, ok got you, got you, We got you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. All right, let's take another quick break and we'll come back and talk some gop political bullshit and rapping and rapping. There's some rapping, guys.
Speaker 6: Don't worry, You've got the hip hop episode.
Speaker 1: And we're back and yeah, super producer Brian give us a fun game name a disaster in which the federal government responded appropriately.
Speaker 2: I was like Midwest tornadoes, they seem to see more boots on the ground there. But I think in terms, I think that does hold. But it's like almost like an act of hostility when we're talking about affected groups that do not fit the stereotypical victim that Garner's sympathy in this country.
Speaker 1: So there are rumors that Fannie Willis will finally be laying the indictment hammered down this week.
Speaker 2: Twelve counts apparently twelve indictments twelve, so that twelve. I wonder who are these lucky contestants who were get caught up in this?
Speaker 3: Is Lindsey Graham one of them, because I'm curious what the fuck he starts doing when you like, it's not fair?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's like the big legal uh drama that we we were looking forward to. But there's also like some polling that just I just bring this up because it's like the the conflict of Republicans is that they're basically saying, like we kind of need Trump on the ballot in twenty twenty four or down ballot people are fucked, like utterly fucked.
Speaker 3: They noticed that like in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: The Trump voters were the main reason they were able to take back the House, and they noticed when Trump is on the ballot, he's like it the rural vote and begins to fucking tank, right, And so it's just interesting where they're like, you have one group of people be like, I mean, I don't know what's going to happen without him on the ballot, and other people were like, it's when he's on the ballot, we're losing things like the Senate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're just I don't know, it's a very interesting place they're caught in. Uh. Who would have thought.
Speaker 1: He's definitely their only hope at this point, right, they don't. There's no support for anyone else. I mean, there's not a lot of support for the Democratic side either, but there's.
Speaker 3: No I mean, it's doubly bad over there.
Speaker 2: We're also like their whole thing is like there they have to reppin all their hopes on a guy who's gonna be like indicted more times than you could even be president, you know what I mean, So that that's the person that they have to be like, fuck man, I guess like the quotes in this like Hill like article are like some people just throwing their hands up where they're like, I don't know. I mean, like, I guess he's just gonna have to be the fucking nominee, Like that's just the only only have at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's some people people people climb in the charts, though, right Jack, Yeah, Well, we.
Speaker 1: Got somebody who's going headed for number one with a bullet, vivek Ramaswami, who's been consistently like there was a lot of stories about him in the past few weeks because he surged to being a distant third in most polls behind Trump and DeSantis. So still like very very you know, as we've talked about DeSantis is like, you know, his campaign is being covered as like pretty pretty dead at this point, and this person is pulling behind him. But he has like differentiated himself from the you know, the Pence detritus, you know, like all the other candidates who so I guess the numbers are like he's at six point one percent, Trump's at fifty four percent, desantus fifteen, but like he's ahead of Mike Pence, who was the Vice President of the United States. I believe fairly recently, Nicky Hayley is at three point four, Tim Scott's at two point eight, Chris Christy two point six, and yeah so and like some composite polls show him even higher. So like guy, yeah, yeah. Well that's the thing is that like a lot of people were a fan of his even before they saw his secret fastball, which is the man's got bars. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He was at the Iowa State Fair doing the fair side chats and he's just Tonlet y'all know, my man has the mic in his hand and he is rocking the crowd.
Speaker 3: Listen to this. The worst won't come out.
Speaker 1: He's joking.
Speaker 5: Happen.
Speaker 1: Everybody's joking.
Speaker 2: Now, Okay, we can't do more because I remember they got mad at us when we did even remember when they got mad at us for doing spaghetti that all spaghetti.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like the sweepers were like by copyright on Yeah.
Speaker 3: Actually we might even get burned for that. Anyway.
Speaker 2: My man is off the beat karaokeing Lose Yourself by Eminem as a serious presidential candidate, and it's terrible.
Speaker 1: He's like hunched over in the like trying to like he's doing the thing that you see rappers do sometimes where they're like, you know, the touching the front row, like you know, just feeling the energy of the crowd, but like there's nobody for him to touch like that. Everyone's just kind of standing around, very confused. It's not an impressive it's like a oh shit, I have to karaoke this. Okay, yeah, I think I remember that song level, you know, engagement, performance, command of the song. But apparently this is like his song. He is like a thing he's been doing since college. So when in college and you're I do apologize in advance because the sentence is going to take like a month at least off of my life just saying it. He was a libertarian minded rap artist. Oh fu and Jesus Christ. Lose Yourself was a favorite of his at Harvard open Mic Nights.
Speaker 3: Wow, unheard that? What was he wrapping? Under Shine?
Speaker 1: Rand dovec DA and oh yeah, it's probably.
Speaker 2: Oh hip hop up black people. They turn it to the oh he's.
Speaker 3: The vec wow okay to vac Well, go on what else? What el?
Speaker 2: What other songs do you got? Apparently that's the only song he does. That's the only song that's it.
Speaker 1: And there's actually footage of him performing it back in college, and it's like way worse than what you just heard. He's like doing more off the beat. He's like breathless and trying to like catch up the whole time.
Speaker 3: Alright, do we chance it?
Speaker 1: I think we got to play a little bit of it.
Speaker 3: Curious sense, he said, if you don't have bunch.
Speaker 2: Yourself, okay, never nope, nope, nope, no nope, no no.
Speaker 1: No no no, I would rather not.
Speaker 3: God, this guy has no sense of rhythm. You better lose yourself from music the moment you want it. You better never let it go.
Speaker 2: Unity So there's a lifetime, you better lose yourself.
Speaker 1: It's truly like you couldn't fuck it up harder if you're trying.
Speaker 3: I bet the bar is fucking low at Harvard Open Mics. Oh yeah, for rap.
Speaker 2: This is what happens. This is what happens without affirmative action. There's not a sufficient number of black people to fucking boo this bullshit. And shame of de vec Into just going to fucking study econ or some shit and then you know, becoming a consultant who sucks up the world, not a presidential candidate.
Speaker 1: Like how does he like just in a from just a completely I'm trying to like perceived this as a reality that he did that on a Harvard stage in college, and rather than being like one of the most embarrassing moments of his life that made him never want to do anything on stage again, it gave him the confidence to keep performing this song in front of other actual human beings and like think that he should run for president. Like the only thing I can conceive of is that, like his group of friends at Harvard were like, you know, there's that movie Yesterday where like the whole Beatles catalog like doesn't exist, and then this guy just becomes a famous artist by like just playing Beatles song. Like I feel like his group of friends, like all the like legacy Harvard people just had hadn't even heard of rap music, and like that was the first thing that they had ever seen. And that's the only way that it makes sense to me. He's like, Yeah, look at this thing I just invented.
Speaker 2: It's actually Eric. Eric checked this rhyme. I just wrote, don't you want to grow up to be just like me? I tie a rope from my penis and jump from a tree. What do you think about that?
Speaker 3: Whoa fucking bars, dude, are you not even in law school?
Speaker 2: And that's bars, But that person would not be reacting like that anyway. But I love like how he his when he's actually talked about his love for the song. That quote, when he's like, well, what is it about it that it connects with you? This one says quote he's growing up in the in the trailers. This is already like you're so far removed from it. It's like the trailers is what you call. Okay, he's growing up in the trailers with a single mom and he wants to make it. He's going to use that moment to do it. He feels like he's going to use the moment to do it. He seizes it and then he makes it happen. And I thought it was a pretty cool story.
Speaker 3: That's that's him now he sees in it. You know, I get it, just.
Speaker 1: The most surface level read of the situation of what the what the song is.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised to not calling himself like v Rabbit or something. Yeah, like really going like really going there with it.
Speaker 1: H Well, there, you know, there there may be hope, Gop, you might not need Trump. That was that was pretty dope. The The reaction from the crowd was pretty just that. There were a couple of plants obviously who were holding up their phone and being like yes, But for the most part, there were there was a lot of just standing bolt upright, kind of turning away from the stage right and uh, some people like actually turning their back to the stage, like just out of sheer, you know, human.
Speaker 3: Survival, like secondhand embarrassment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, What would.
Speaker 2: You do, Jack, if you were if you're a presidential candidate, Like, if this this really actually could be a new thing, I should really consider this at the state fair when presidential candidates come, they have to do a rap They have to spit a rap song on.
Speaker 1: Stage, right. I mean it's actually really interesting when you think about it, you know, because like in that song, he's growing up in the trailers.
Speaker 2: In the trailer single, is he thinking the trailers is like the projects?
Speaker 3: Is that what he's doing? Wow, Vivid, come.
Speaker 2: On now, I know you had a good life in Cincinnati, but just learn how to speak to people a little bit more accurately than that.
Speaker 1: What would your song be the.
Speaker 2: It would I don't know, probably something like like a subverse, like I don't know, like a most deaf song like mathematics or got you know, I don't know. I don't know what I would do. No, Brian's just said immortal tech. No, I'm not spitting immortal technic lyrics with the devil. Yeah, that's what I know. That's what he means, even when you just by if folking immortal technique. But yeah, maybe maybe I would spit dance with the devil if I would stay fair to be like, this guy is demonic and we actually need to call the police because I love it.
Speaker 3: And we love it folks, don't we? Yes, you probably do, Wu tang. Would you just like clan in the front literally.
Speaker 1: They are Yeah, I was thinking, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Just like the idea clan in the front, not in the bags.
Speaker 3: All right, alright, alright, why.
Speaker 1: Those are some of the things that we're trending over the weekend. We are back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get sex, and don't know nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow. Bye bye.