Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Daniel Drasen is an award winning documentary filmmaker and has been a photographer and a media producer for more than six decades. Since the early nineteen nineties, has featured in his documentary Calling Earth. Daniel has been actively investigating the field of after life communication through traditional mental and physical mediumship as well as modern electronics. He lives in the San Francisco Bay area and his brand new book is a Science of the Afterlife, Space, time and the Consciousness Code. Daniel Drasen, Welcome to Coast to Coast AM. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm very well. Thank you, Richard. It's a pleasure to be here with you.
Speaker 2: I want to start off with John Keele. You were colleagues, and I had heard this story about John Keele and people who are familiar with this, perhaps one of the world's most influential ufologists, journalists, paranormal researcher, had heard this story years ago, but I had no idea until you and I met several months ago and talked about it that you were also involved in this remarkable paranormal supernatural incident. So, first of all, just maybe begin by telling us how you connected initially with John Keel, and then we'll get into this remarkable incident.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, this was back in the mid nineteen sixties. I was living in New York City at the time, and I found myself one day up at a place called the Cloisters, which is a beautiful museum of medieval art that's located on the upper west side overlooking the Hudson River. And as I was up there, I noticed a funny Looking out over the river towards the Palisades of New Jersey, I noticed a kind of a funny looking flying object that was flying in a northerly direction, And having been a student pilot at the time, this object attracted my attention, and particularly attracted my attention when it stopped and reversed its direction instantaneously. That was, I suppose, my very first actual UFO sighting. I had been interested in the subject for many years, but this had been my first actual experience of seeing something that I an aeral object that I could not explain. So I've mentioned it to a friend of mine who said, Oh, there's this writer John Keel who's giving a talk tomorrow whytt you go to his talk and discuss your sighting with him? So I did, and long story short, we became friends. He at the time was investigating I just begun to investigate the phenomena that we're going on in Point Pleasant, West Virginia, the moth man, right, a moth man, primarily the moth man, but also a variety of other fascinating and sometimes disturbing phenomena. Anyway, I accompanied John on four of his trips to Point Pleasant. Met quite a number of witnesses there who had seen the mofman and the other phenomena, which included UFOs that flew over the town, up and down the river. That's Point Pleasant. Point Pleasant is located right on the Ohio River where the Ohio and the Kanawa rivers come together. At the time, the two states were connected by a bridge that had been built in the nineteen twenties. It was called the Silver Bridge because it was of at that time a novel, very lightweight aluminum construction, and it was in a way Point Pleasant's main source of economic support because the bridge came right over the river right into the downtown business district of Point Pleasant. So it was a sort of a major feature of the town, so it was kind of a crossroads of that part of the country. Anyway, people there have been reporting seeing this quite startling creature there for a period of time, notably to adolescent couples who were out canoodling one night and one of their automobiles out in a forested area, and when they heard a disturbance around them, they turned their headlights on and lo and behold, there was this seven or eight foot tall creature with big glowing red eyes and wings that levitated off the ground. Startled these kids. They put the car in gear and skidaddled went down the main highway. This creature followed them, hovering, flying over the over their car, and as they approached the lights of the town, the creatures sort of peeled off and disappeared. So they reported this terrifying incident to the local sheriff's department, which turns out had received quite a number of other reports of sightings of this creature. Nobody knew what it was, where it was from. It was missing from the annals of cryptozoology as far as anyone knew. It was quite a unique kind of creature. Wasn't a bigfoot or anything like that. So anyway, long story short, dozens of people saw this creature. I spoke to a private pilot at an airport across the river in Ohio who had seen this thing in flight, and he says, well, at first I thought it was some kind of a small airplane. I got closer to it, and my god, it was this flying critter. And this guy's thaught of the earth, you know, local price, this pilot, Uh, he didn't impress me as making making the story up. So while I did not myself see this creature, I have certainly have no doubt that it existed. People have very strong emotional responses to encountering it, sometimes in broad daylight, actually at all hours of the day and night in that general area. Now when I say that general area, I'm talking about the the Ohio River area, mostly north of the town of Point Pleasant, which actually has a history of paranormal phenomena going back at least into the last century.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: There are there were tales about a Native American chief called Chief Cornstalk having put a curse of some kind on the land. People believe that that this was, you know, partly the cause of some of these phenomena. Now, not only was the Mothman scene, but as you probably know, a number of individuals were witnesses to the so called men in black, and they were what I guess upologists would consider the classic men in black of they were kind of a swarthy complexion, dressed in dark business suits, and they would often show up driving vintage vintage automobiles from maybe twenty thirty years in the past and looking brand news if they'd just come off the assembly line, and they would, they would either subtly or very directly threaten people to not talk about their experiences. And again I never personally witnessed them, but I spoke to a number of people who had. One of them was one of the kids who had first sighted the offman, and that on that terrifying evening. She and her boyfriend eventually married and they had a young child, and one day these men in black showed up in a vintage Buick limousine with carrying an old sort of nineteen forties vintage press camera and offering to photograph their child. And this is something that had John Keel had run into in the past, the utterly bizarre kind of situation. These strange guys were sent away and they never came back, They never made good on any sort of threats. So, you know, what are these things about? And a question that I ask about a lot of paranormal phenomena, or so called paranormal phenomena, including the whole question of an afterlife, is is this really paranormal? Do these things go on much more frequently? Do people have these experiences much more frequently than we give credit for? Is our social norms really responsible for the definition of paranormal or supernatural? We say supernatural? You know, what are the limits of nature? We think something is supernatural? We're sort of arbitrarily putting limits on nature. You know, maybe the whole thing is natural. So get into some of of what I get into in my book about language.
Speaker 2: Right, But I just wanted to get to the incident. It was a just I believe, just before or just after the collapse of the Silver Bridge, and you're in New York with John Keel and he receives a visitor.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, let me just go back a little bit. On our last trip to Point Pleasant prior to this particular day, John was given us sort of a prophecy by a psychic woman in the town, and it was to the effect that she said that there will be a disa on the river the night that President Johnson likes the White House Christmas tree. So on that particular night, and in December nineteen sixty seven, John and I were back in New York. I was at my home, he was at his, and we agreed that I would come up to his place. We'd turn on the TV, watch the news reports and see if anything happened on the Ohio River. So I go up to John's place and he lets me in and he introduces me to a friend of his, a guy named Joe, who has been an old, old friend of John's. But John hadn't seen him in years and had sir lost contact with him. And yet Joe appeared at John's door on this very interesting and unusual evening. I met Joe. Big guy. I'm about six foot one, He's at least six foot two, strong guy, dark hair, mustache, looks as if he was in his forty late forties.
Speaker 2: I shook his hand.
Speaker 3: I shook his hand, and the thing about it was it was one of the strongest handshakes I've ever experienced. The guy was really strong. And anyway, we chatted for a while, we turned the TV on. There was no news, So John and Joe went out to dinner and they actually went to a UFO conference that was held in Manhattan that evening. I went back home, got home, turned my TV on. Just at that moment the network feed was interrupted from the news from Point Pleasant with the news from Point Pleasant that the Silverbridge had collapsed into the Ohio River in the middle of this is a Christmas season rush hour traffic. It was a huge tragedy. There wasn't anyone in the town who didn't know someone who was killed in that grin, right, and so that you know, that's that's a you know, a part of them Offman's story that everyone seems to know. It was feature in the Richard in the Richard Gere movie, which is a very very loose adaptation of the story. But the interesting thing was that I didn't think, I didn't think much more of this fellow Joe that I met, until John found out a couple of years later that Joe had been dead for two years hm.
Speaker 2: Hm, prior to your meeting Joe.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, uh and uh. Following that meeting, Joe was untraceable. John tried to reach him as phone was disconnected and so on. Uh. And the only way he found out about this was a couple of years later, he was happened to be in Macy's department store and ran into Joe's wife, and I said, oh, hi, you know how how's Joe? I saw him a couple I saw him two years ago. I haven't been able to find him. And she said, oh, you know, don't don't mess with me, John, Joe's been dead for five years.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, and so on, you know.
Speaker 3: She he he died in my presence and and I went to a funeral and all that.
Speaker 1: Of course, listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one a m. Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more