Speaker 1: Welcome back to all the smoke. Jack, Welcome back to to Cali. Yes, sir, happy to be back.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I followed your plan. You had a great plan. It didn't play. I fucked it up. Man, we didn't really fuck it up. It's just I didn't try. I wasn't I didn't do my due diligence. We're gonna wear tuxtedos today, and you so listen. I got up this morning because I was gonna go golf early. So I'm up at five thirty in the morning and I'm trying all my ship on and I had a huge hole in the crotch on my uh and my tux pants.
Speaker 3: I'm like, fuck, did you have a tux He's still ready, ready to go, Ready to go, Yeah, crotch.
Speaker 1: That's not normally my game. But I foiled your plan, and I apologized.
Speaker 2: I'm still here.
Speaker 4: I think the I think the lesson here is try your tuxedo on a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Right, Come on, man, do your due diligence. I mean, be ahead, plan ahead. But anyway, man, one of the greatest actors of his generation, one of our favorite actor comedy and absolute legend, and like you said, this is a year in the making, right, Welcome to the show, Will Ferrell, Hey, thank you.
Speaker 2: We shid it.
Speaker 1: So we ran into each other at jes sweet like this time last year, a year year ago, seven right right, and section seven is this weekend, literally literally this weekend. And I saw me. I was with CP Chris Paul and when we saw Will and I'm just like, man, a big fan, got to come on the show. You know, I'm really busy, but we'll make some time work. And then literally a year later we're here.
Speaker 4: That's what That's the way it goes. Sticks about a year to track me down. I get it.
Speaker 1: I respect it, but but but no, that was Yeah, that was super fun to get to hang a little bit there and then to be here now. And then also obviously we're going to get into the hawk. But we have the same golf instructor and you made it for.
Speaker 4: For well technical I mean yes, I tried working out with him once and I fired him. Oh he didn't work bad attitude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh, James.
Speaker 4: He was one of the consultants on our show or helped out on the Poet project.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I was trying to schedule times. He's like, I got to do this stuff with Will, Like Will, who's that Will Fairro He's like he's doing a golf golf shop. Really, so I had a hard time scheduling. But and someone I got a chance to see the new show. I'm like, oh, Ship, there's James exactly first episode and graduations welcome James, go ahead that yeah, new show Netflix is dropping July sixteenth.
Speaker 4: The Hawk right right here.
Speaker 2: This hilarious.
Speaker 5: It just kills me how you have no passion for your best friend after he dies and you just want to go on with life.
Speaker 2: But talk about it. Talk about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Lonnie, Lonnie Hawkins, the aka the Hawk is h he's very much you know, he's he's a pro golfer who who can't give it up, which you guys probably can relate to where you have that point in your career where you're like cold, I still play. I think I can, but but and then you probably you know, hits like a ton of bricks of life.
Speaker 5: You can still get out there.
Speaker 4: And that's Lonnie. He's he's bounced around on the corn Ferry Tour and uh, he's still hoping to win his final, you know, get the Grand Slam. He's he's won three majors. Uh. He's competing with his son, who's the next best thing on the PGA tour yep, played by Jimmy tatrou And uh and yeah, so Lonnie's just kind of this a character I've wanted to play for a long time, very much a narcissist who's you know at one point, like you said, I mean spoiler alert, his longtime caddie. Uh, he's had for years. Ah, there's a change that's made, right, this is weird. This is the first time I talked about the show, so I don't know whether to give away stuff, but uh, Lonnie, Lonnie just wants to keep playing on the golf course. And but that's kind of what fuels him. But then he later he feels bad. So he's not a bad guy, but he's just he can't shut down that drive. Uh and uh and he makes a lot of bad decisions in his life. And but but uh, this was a blast. We got to shoot all in l at this great cast with Mollie Shannon from this she plays my my ex wife who's still my wife, who because I won't sign the divorce papers. Uh. We have Chris Parnell, Luke Wilson plays one of my rivals, and uh, yeah, it's just a it was it was really fun to do a show that's just kind of comedy forward and uh it's kind of back to some of the older things I've done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 5: You gotta think for sports movies, Tatadlegga Knights, Blaze of Glory, semi pro kicking and screaming. This to come from having an athletic background. Are you just acting the movies because you was trash in sports?
Speaker 4: No, you're looking at the captain of the university high school basketball. Oh, the captain, the captain the mean streets of Irvine, California average because it was hard defense, rebound. There you go, use all five fouls, Okay, old school, I could set a mean screen. You need those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, you can't take your fouls home. You might as well use them.
Speaker 2: I used them. I used them.
Speaker 4: But no, I I mean, I was a kid who just went from whatever the season was. I played in the sport and and I loved I loved team sports. I loved you know, kind of that thing where you know, I had as much fun scoring a basket, it is much fun giving it you know, like a great assist a scorn in a basket, and that that translated to working in on film, which is which is a team and ensemble comedy. That's what drew me to a place where here in La called the Groundlings, whereas where I kind of did all my training, which was sketch comedy, and and my dream was always to be on SATA Night Live. And I loved that ensemble. And I think it all comes from team sports. And that's why a lot of the comedies that have worked for me have been big casts. We love casting our friends, funny people, people who you know, also maybe weren't shown that they could do, you know, com You know, a guy like Mark Wahlberg really didn't have it started, and then we thought of them for the other guys and and things kind of took off for him in in a totally different direction. Sou But yeah, I think I think a lot of that points back to sports.
Speaker 1: What do you say to people who feel comedy really isn't the same as at what once was. You guys kind of set the standard. A group of guys set the standard in the in the two thousands, and to me, it hasn't necessarily been the same. It hasn't really translated on the big screen or streaming or whatever, however people watch their movies these days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't really get in to the weeds of of comedy analysis too much. You know, it's always a thing that's gonna ebb and flow in terms of people's taste and what people want to create, and I just kind of do you do my thing, and hopefully you like it. I don't know what to tell you. It worked out for good, so you know a lot of times that that's what still strikes me today is the weird stuff that comes out of my brain. Somehow, A majority of people thought it was funny for the most part. There are definitely some things that that didn't work, which is the nature of the beast. But you know that that's why I think being on something like Saturday Night Live, where we every week you had to come up with something new and you just had to throw it against the wall, and you couldn't you couldn't get wrapped up in, you know, judging it too too intensely because you just had to move on to the next thing. So it created this muscle of like just try it, don't judge it too much, trust your instincts and and kind of move on. So I don't know, I'm still trying to do that.
Speaker 5: I think the people that go on Stata in my Live like you and just stand out. That's the comedians that separates themselves like Eddie did it when he went on Saturday Live. When you, when you went on Saturday Live like you stood out, Like It's very few people and a lot of people have come through Saturday Time and I watched them all.
Speaker 2: There's very few that stand down and command everything.
Speaker 4: You've always been a fan of comp Yes, yeah, my whole life. Yeah, Matt, not so much.
Speaker 1: No, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it. I'm just listening.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to have you here. So I'm listening to the stories.
Speaker 5: He's a joker, trust me, don't he's warming up, trust me. It's a whole bunch of shots of comings you get ready to do.
Speaker 4: But that's what that's what I love about talking to athletes people in music like like they're drawn to comedy as another thing, like to take your brain off of.
Speaker 2: What you do. You'd definitely a get away, right, definitely get away?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it goes good with camps.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, start.
Speaker 4: On cannabis sativa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that in the mornings, absolutely, Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: I can't do it if you need it.
Speaker 1: The show, obviously my legs talking about it.
Speaker 2: Us to start Them was in Austin.
Speaker 5: Austin Power's debut in the movie How was that with Austin Powers?
Speaker 2: It was big for everybody.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I actually didn't like it at first.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of people didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't like it at first, but they had to grow up. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I remember when the movie I'd heard about, you know, uh, I'd heard that Mike Myers made the Spy movie and they said it wasn't you know, industry term, it wasn't tracking well, people didn't know what to make of it. Yeah, and it became this cult like the audience kind of slowly caught up to what was going on. But yeah, that was that was you know, I was. That was kind of the first big film set I was on, and uh yeah, pretty scary. Uh yeah, a lot of improv and uh but you know, I don't know, I I I was very lucky and looking back to having some of these small campmeo roles early in my career to where I didn't have to worry about having a whole movie right on my shoulders, And it was a way to just kind of get out and leave them wanted more and so and yeah, so I I really owe Mike and Jay Roach a lot for cast.
Speaker 1: Me in that go down memory lane and and and talk about some of your best work and play a game called fact or fiction. Oh, okay, is it true you performed stand up for the O J. Simpson jury?
Speaker 4: Not stand up, but we did. We did sketches. Okay, So this place I'd mentioned in LA called the Groundlings, we were doing our sketch show at the time, which was when the o J. Jury was sequestered, and we felt so bad for you know, this group of people that just went from their hotel to the courtroom that we performed right in the comedy in the courtroom, not in the courtroom, but a court room. And uh yeah, very surreal experience, but a very sweet group of people who just were like, you know, there we were in our wigs and funny costumes, trying to get him to laugh in a badly fluorescent lit court.
Speaker 1: Oh factor fiction, you have a you got a fake pair of balls from step brothers in the trophy case.
Speaker 4: Fact, yes, guess how much they caught.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 4: More like ten thousand, yeah five per ball five that was the going rate early, Yeah, two thousand and six, that's the going rate for ball. Probably we're twenty Yeah, probably we're twenty now.
Speaker 1: Inflation's crazy, but they are very, very realistically. I should have brought them today. Should we should have gave you a heads up. That's our fault. Oh semi pro factor fishing. The bear that you wrestled in the movie later killed its.
Speaker 4: Trainer, not because of that movie, but yes, yeah I did. It did even though I didn't wrestle the real real bear. We we switched, I got I wasn't about to. Yeah, but yeah, that's nuts.
Speaker 1: You would pretty much do anything for that team, though Jackie would do anything, anything for anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ship.
Speaker 1: Was the jive turkey line.
Speaker 4: I think that bear is out of the business when you kill your trainer.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that eliminates us for one K thought, Yeah, it's still getting should something just leave hanging? Is the jive turkey line improvised or in the script?
Speaker 4: Oh jive jive turkey was was a scene we showed later and that's all scripted.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah, Coffee Black character played Boy one hundred three thousand. What was it like working this is Not Nothing A Factor fiction? What was it like working with Andre?
Speaker 2: Was about?
Speaker 4: He he's probably like the you know, whether it's intentional or not, the coolest human being just the way life. Yeah, coolest guy ever, the hell of a title to half Yeah, and I don't even think he tried to be cool, but he was just always cool. Yeah, and yeah, I think I mean, he's only done a couple of movies, isn't But he was just so charismatic when we auditioned him, and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he became Coffee Black. He's real picky about what he does and what he attaches his stuff to. Sure, fact to fiction in old School. In the streaking scene, you actually ran naked by a public gym and freadmills up against the window.
Speaker 4: Fact, Yeah, that's right out here. And uh, Montrose, anyone live in Montrose's out?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Through the quad?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: That was we were just it's it's kind of this little town up near Pasadena. The street that that looks like like has kind of an East Coast look to it, And we were rehearsing. We were waiting for the sun to go down, so we were just kind of rehearsing the camera move for for that scene. And uh, and I noticed there's like a restaurant, there's all these shops, and there was this gym with with with all all these treadmills and all these housewives jogging on the treadmill. And I said to one of the crew people, like, do these people know what's about to be filmed here? Because I'm in a robe and there, and someone was like, oh, I don't know anyway, action and then I start running and we're doing the scene and I can literally hear off camera whoa, And then we do. By the third take, the gym was cleared out. Everyone had left. They didn't They weren't excited to see me run naked.
Speaker 1: No heads up, huh.
Speaker 2: What's the backstore? You gotta fucking dart and your nick.
Speaker 4: See that was just it was just in the script, and I just remember thinking, oh, this is funny. I didn't know that when I saw it when the audience, that it would play that that crazy. And but it was my idea to like, once I'm hit with a tranquilizer, dart and we knew I was gonna fall in the pool. I was like, can we get some can we get like a stunt kid? We have like a kid who I can shove to the ground. And they're like we actually we were hoping we have this kid's a stunt kid. You can throw down, you can do whatever you want. So that's why that's why I'm like ship knocking everyone through. But yeah, that was That was Todd phillips whole plan of like the juxtaposition of a guy hit with a trank dart walking through a kid's birthday party.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, back to fiction and wedding crashes doing the right The camera actually shakes because the camera man laughs so hard.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know. I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe we did too good at research on this. Really. Yeah, they didn't even let you know about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's how good we all here, but we see the cameras.
Speaker 4: But that was that was a lot of that stuff. The whole meat loft thing was all I just that was all improvised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know what she's doing back there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was all because I because it was making me laugh at this this. I could hear her back there the actress, what's up? But I know that in I know that in Talladega Knights when we're doing the the baby Jesus scene and then we're we're having the debate about and the kids were like making fun of the grandfather, like I'll come out you chip, like the exactly we kept feeding them where the camera guy he was like hugely shaking so far he was and he kept apologizing. He's like, I'm so sorry, I can't stop laughing.
Speaker 1: Those kids are sucking animals. Yeah, they were, Well, you find the.
Speaker 2: Kids funny ship.
Speaker 1: Anchorman is the movie that's near and dear to your heart.
Speaker 4: Factor fiction, I would say fact. I think that that is uh uh, that was you know it. It's it's a cliche Hollywood story you hear about movies where you know, no no one wanted to make them, no one really understood, And that was kind of our version of that.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: I think when we first we were going out to studios and finance, I think over the course of a two week period of time, I think we had twenty rejections of like I said, either people with financing or studios themselves who just didn't get why that would be funny, and we were trying to use the Austin Powers model of you know, well, no one thought a spy genre would be translate to comedy. This is the same for like, you know a bunch of news people who you know, and it's not trust me, it's these characters are going to be crazy.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 4: It's not a you know, a narrative about the news.
Speaker 2: And so that was.
Speaker 4: When we finally got to it's funny. The one student you where it was at Old School came out and that was at the same that was at dream Works and Anchorman was just sitting on the shelf. So then Old School came out became a big hit, and they're like, wait, we always liked Anchorman, but but that was you know, I was really you talk about Stephen, you're talking about leaving Saturn Night Live, and it's not necessarily I think people view it as like an automatic launching pad to a career, and it's not necessarily the case. It's it's uh, it is harder than you think to leave that show and find success afterwards. So and when I left the show, I really didn't have it just felt like the right time to go and test the waters. But but I got lucky in that the first three projects after Saturday Night Live were Old School Elf and Anchorman, So it's.
Speaker 1: A nice three piece.
Speaker 2: You have a massive heart.
Speaker 1: Fleets funny too when we first started.
Speaker 4: By the way, that the hard on was not ten thousand dollars. That was just literally a the end of a paper towel roll in my pants, So fact not fiction, pure fact, pure fact. Depletes did accentuate it's deplete.
Speaker 1: He caught it at the right angle. Yeah, when we first started doing this, Jack would literally read anything on the prompter, so his nickname. For the longest time with ron Berg, we were horrible doing ads. When we first started, Jack would just fucking read anything on for the heads.
Speaker 2: San Diego.
Speaker 4: When we were when we were writing the script, we were like, Okay, this guy has to be such an idiot that he and then we were like, what could be the worst thing he could say that would ruin his career And we're like, Oh, tell an entire city to go fucking and go fuck yourself, San Diego, and then deny that he said it.
Speaker 1: I just want to punch you in the face that those Taladiga Knights did. Sasha Baron Cone true factor fiction really improve the kiss at the end.
Speaker 4: I think that was scripted.
Speaker 1: Oh, you guys just weren't in the moment in the kind of justs.
Speaker 4: I mean, he does have gorgeous eyes. Uh no, that was Yeah, that was in the script.
Speaker 1: John c Riley, you guys have some amazing on screen chemistry. How did all that map out? And how did the NASCAR feel about that movie?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Uh, John and I met, Uh, John and I met through Molly Shannon. I was still on Certain I Live. She had just done a movie. FIMS like you need to meet this guy, John cy Riley. I'm like, oh, I'm a huge fan. And and and we started, you know, seeing each other here and there, and ah, we originally wanted wanted him to be an anchorman, but he was uh he was too busy shooting Gangs of New York with Scorsese. Uh so he was unavailable. And but but we kept uh uh Danny d Lewis great movie. And then we just kept we just kept thinking, God, John would just be great because he he always was very comedic in a lot of the Paul Thomas Anderson movies. And and so when we started thinking of of a NASCAR movie. We thought, oh, John would be perfect to play, so we got we got him to play Coununt Junior and he's, you know, arguably one of the best things in that movie. And then it was John. It was John who really pushed us to do Step Brothers as well, because he was like, look, we this doesn't happen, this kind of chemistry, this kind of we both think the same things are funny, and like we gotta like, let's run it back. And and that's when we were kicking around ideas. And that's when Adam McKay came up with the idea of like, what if you're just two guys in their forties who still live at home with their parents. Yeah, and we're like, that's it. But in terms of Nascar, they they were they couldn't have been cool. They were like, Okay, we're into it. Just make sure the driving looks realistic. Were like done, we want that. And and they were afraid about the title Talladega Knights at first. They didn't want it because they thought they thought the movie was going to be about Talladega Motor Speedway, which is the only it's the only racetrack in NASCAR that has its own jail. Yeah, and people when they go that they party, they party hard, and they were afraid it was about the culture of how crazy it gets there. We're like, oh no, no, we just we didn't even know all that. Thank you for letting us know. No, we were just like, we just loved that title and and they were like, they were like, go do your thing and gave us amazing access. And but I think the combination of our comedy, our silliness with how real and how but that movie is so interesting because NASCAR fans are like they I've never been a part of a movie where two sides of the comedy spectrum. You had people who said, how'd you get away with making that movie? It's so funny what you did. You're making fun of Nascar, and NASCAR farans were like, thank you for being true to the sport. So we somehow like threaded that needle and both both audiences loved it. So that's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, going back to step Bus when he came in the house and he was like, why are you sweating? Watch the cops? Do you know that?
Speaker 4: I was That's that's one of That's one of my favorite stories of uh. I like to tell about because I'll have people who come up and repeat lines from movies and I forget that I've said them, and they get really mad at me. And I was I was somewhere once and I was in my car and this this woman pulled up and she was like, hey, Will, and she's like, why are you so sweaty? And I literally had just i'd been on a bike riding like, oh, because I was riding on my bike. She's like, no, from step Brothers. She got so mad at me. You were watching Cops. I'm like, oh, that's right, Yeah, never mind. I lost a fan there. But people own the ownership of these movies, which is amazing, is sometimes intense, and they get really mad if I don't know the line right away. But now I know that one. If you if anyone who comes up and says, I'll say.
Speaker 1: Old Milwaukee Beer, you were once the face helped helped Okay, yeah, some people say those commercials, you know, kind of helped save the company maybe for like a.
Speaker 4: Half a second. No, we were pitched. We were pitched by Old Millon whatever. The parent company was like, we're about to get rid of this brand, and if you want to just go shoot crazy commercials. We'll give you percentage of the sales. And so we went and gorillas I shot these crazy old old school commercials. That that makes it even better that Uh, let's just say I got a check for five thousand dollars Old Milwaukee.
Speaker 1: Yes, it sounds like it's a terrible, terrible Yes, I'm sorry anyone.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if it still exists.
Speaker 2: I doubt it. I doubt it.
Speaker 4: It's no PBR.
Speaker 2: Characters have iconic names. Do you personally name them your stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of them.
Speaker 4: A lot of times we would start, we wouldn't write until we thought of the name.
Speaker 6: Ricky Bobby yep, Ricky Bobby, ron Ron Burgundy, Jackie Moon, Jackie Moon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, break the take. Nope, I didn't come up with that, you take. I came up with Gator Gater, we don't play. Yeah, we came up with uh Dale and Brennan.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's such perfect name.
Speaker 4: But Yeah, for some reason, I don't know why. It's almost like if you come up with the name, it automatically, you've already started thinking about the background and the structure of who that person is. I don't know why the name sets it off.
Speaker 2: But it starts.
Speaker 4: It starts the storytelling and uh and then you could you begin writing from there?
Speaker 1: Is there anybody.
Speaker 4: Lonnie Hawk, Lonnie Hawkins? We started kicking names around. They were like, oh, Lonnie, what about something Hawkins? Lonnie Hawkins. Oh, and he's got to call himself the Hawk and that that also just set the attitude, you know, and that's in the show. I'm I'm hardly eighty percent of the show. I wear this this visor, yea to remind you because he's a guy who's so afraid that you're not going to know who he is, so he always wears his visor, which is so dirty too, and it's.
Speaker 2: Very I broke.
Speaker 4: I brought the clean one, I can tell I was, but yeah, I wear this, Yeah, that dirty visor the whole show. But it just started making us laugh. A guy who's so insecure, who plays cocky, but he's so insecure that he has to wear a visor with his nickname on it all the time.
Speaker 1: Is there a chance that before you leave today you can give me a jack of nickname? Absolutely awesome, Just think about that, No pressure. Okay, what do you like about playing the villain? Zoolanders? Bound Down Lego Movies he's bounding down. Holy shit, I binge watched that a lot.
Speaker 4: Ashley Schaeffer Ashley Shaffer bmw uh, I mean everyone like a villain. Villains are fun, you know, because they you know it. I don't know it gets to to get to be mean, even though I my villains are always comedic. You're never you're never really afraid of funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's just a it's just a different a different kind of move. It's fun to play.
Speaker 1: Not a social media guy, know, no good thing. Yeah, he stepped away. I was on I was on Twitter for four days.
Speaker 2: You retire?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they said you hung it up. Just not something.
Speaker 4: It just kind of it kind of just made my head explode in a way that it uh, it couldn't. I just knew it was a thing that if I was going to be a part of it, I wanted to contribute to it and control.
Speaker 2: It and.
Speaker 4: You know it, even though I know you can be on social as much or as little as you want, but I didn't want the burden of having.
Speaker 1: To keep up, keep up. So that's safe to say you don't have any burner accounts.
Speaker 4: I don't have any burner accounts.
Speaker 1: He's not on there, guys.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I'm sorry, that's not too disappointing.
Speaker 1: We have a person like I feel like there's a.
Speaker 4: Pall in the room. Yeah, you got to be a person, right, Even though I do have thoughts that so oh that'd be funny on social media, but I would I would probably turn it into such something so annoying just to mess with people Like I just take a picture of a sandwich every day. That's it. That's all you get. Tune a sandwich.
Speaker 1: But somehow that ship would be funny and jelly find a way to be funny.
Speaker 4: I would just drive I would drive people crazy that so I'd use it more as a punishment. Now I'm feeling like I maybe I should get on social media, right, we can.
Speaker 2: Work it out.
Speaker 5: I got off the wall question for you sat in my life. Let's get with you and Eddie Murphy and Keenan.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah did you do?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Was all you?
Speaker 4: I told Keenan, like, I'm what, what do you want me to do? He's like, just go for it. Be just whatever you want to do. I'm like, okay, but that that is like that's on the hype breakat Eddie Murphy. Laugh is like I could retire right there. It was very like that is like one of the highest achievements ever for me, And that was like a thrill. That was amazing. Yeah, and Eddie, Eddie. It's funny because Eddie he's like he's game face, you know, when we're rehearsing, he's like he's It was fascinating to watch him work because he is so precise, so he really wanted to know, now where do you want me at this line? And walking like very serious about his comedy, which I totally respect because I sometimes get in the same way and then of course when the camera goes on, it's the best of all time. But yeah, to get to be in that sketch and to get him to laugh forget it, that was That's one of my favorite one too.
Speaker 2: Has will Ferer ever dealt with self doubt?
Speaker 4: Well, right now, I'm I have a lot of self doubt as to whether I should have done this podcast or not because we don't have enough cameras exet it from the beginning.
Speaker 7: Uh No, Yeah, of course, that's that's always Uh that's always part of any sort of journey, whether it's creative or whether it's you know, pursuing athletics.
Speaker 4: What like, I mean, you guys probably felt faced self doubt.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe though a little healthy fear, little health right, or maybe you guys were you just had that thing where you're like, no, I know I'm going to succeed being cut as crazy, right, even you're in the NBA, you're still getting cut, like like yet you're a the height of what anyone could do in that profession.
Speaker 4: And then you're still like, wait, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Because some getting there is just not some people's goal, right, Some people go be successful to stay in there, have a career at it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I you know I had I think I had like the best thing to happen to me in my first show. On my first show, my first season of Satura at Live, these reviews came out and they were they were pretty scathing towards I had won some some magazine or whatever that wrote like they were analyzing this new cast because we were pretty much a brand new cast and they singled me out by name. You know, that was a good news. The bad news was like most annoying newcomer. Yeah, right away after my first show. So I'm like looking at this, and I thought, well, you know, this is I'm already at a crossroads right out of the gate. So I can either listen to it, sit and cry. And so what I did was, I mean, I you know, you talk about bulletin board materia. I just put it up on the on the wall my office and just clipped it out, and I was like, Okay, you want to see annoying, I'm going to be I'm going to be even more annoying. And that's you know, I had always kind of made a commitment to because there's so many you know, there's so many funny people out there. I was like, I'm going to see people that I know are funnier than I am, but I'm not. They're not going to out commit me. I'm going to be the guy who streaks in old school. I'm going to be the guy who goes gives like one hundred and ten percent wall. Yeah, in terms of my commitment, So I thought, that's what I'm going to lean into and that will get me through and you'll find me annoying maybe, but but if I break through that then I'll be fine. So so yeah, I just use it as a motivation belongs you being you you yeah, yeah, right, and then and then and then if it still doesn't work, then you know you tried it on your terms, right, And because you know a lot of people would try to like approach things as to what what joke will work as opposed to what do you think is funny? And and so I don't, I don't. I wouldn't know how to do it any other way.
Speaker 5: When are you at your most most creative spot, like when you come up with your best ideas.
Speaker 4: Probably in the bathtub with my fake testicles. I just looked deeply into their eyes, and I just get hit with divine inspiration.
Speaker 1: You know, if they help you, they definitely got to be, got to be way more than ten than you.
Speaker 4: Got to have the value I dream, I dream, I dream about him.
Speaker 2: What did they say? They talk to you, They say, how are you?
Speaker 4: If you had a good sandwich lately, you should get it. You should get back on social media.
Speaker 1: So they're not lying to you, they're not. They tell you the truth.
Speaker 4: They also tell me what stocks to invest in. Yeah, yeah, uh so there's that. I mean, it's usually when I'm doing when I'm not trying to think of anything, when I'm just organically right.
Speaker 5: What is the secret of being able to make people of all backgrounds land?
Speaker 4: Well, actually, I don't know. I mean, that's kind of That's that's why a lot of times I sit back and go, oh, this is kind of crazy that I've a lot of these movies have hit kind of a wide spectrum of people, because it's not like like I set out to, Oh, this, this will be something that everyone will like h or or a wide audience.
Speaker 2: So you had to know everybody was going to dig that gator ship.
Speaker 4: No, I had no idea. We just thought it was a weird move. Like, we're like, this guy should have a crazy background. What's the crazy Okay, he was a pimp. He was a pimp in college. Yeah, but he doesn't realize that's.
Speaker 2: What he was.
Speaker 4: He's like, No, I wasn't a pimp. Yeah yeah, yeah, it's like, no, what you're describing is a pimp. But no, we I don't know. We just we just would follow, you know. I think I think maybe some of that success is is just what is something that people haven't seen in a comedy before, and and and being authentic to that has led.
Speaker 2: To everybody a good reaction yeah.
Speaker 1: Big Laker fan. The best Staples Center memory when they change it to crypto, that's why I love. I was like, why is it called stables? I wish it was called Can I slightly change for However, my best Laker memory is actually a forum. Get back a little bit because in junior high I went with a buddy and we were at the initial game where Magic.
Speaker 4: And Bird played each other as late as rookies in their rookie year. So we sat way up in the noseblee. And to be at the forum watching these two like, you could feel that, oh, basketball is about to change. And even sitting in the at thirteen, way up at the top, you could see these two players move differently. They they not only shoot the ball, but they passed the ball there there. They just have a different flow and I've never seen anything like it, and and so that that was huge. You remember, I don't yeah, I'm gonna say laters, but yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, could you could you imagine me and you sitting here being on the Hawks podcast and him on us?
Speaker 8: Awesome? Pretty awesome? What made you decide to do an A B A movie in Sydney.
Speaker 4: Bro, There's this amazing book called uh not a joke title Loose Balls. I think it's called loose Balls anyway. It chronicles the A, B A and and it's a fascinating book about this fledging league that was trying to go up, go up against the NBA and all the the the personality character you know, all the different characters, all the all the different type of gimmicks they were trying to do, which later the NBA incorporated. You know, like the the Showtime Lakers that was all taken from ABA teams who had cheerleaders and did shows. The three point line that's taken from the ABA.
Speaker 1: They had a lot of talent, and they.
Speaker 4: Had a ton of talent. Amazing all these players who first probably had five, six, seven years with the ABA, you know, like you know, everyone from doctor j to artists Fillmore, all these guys who by the time they got the NBA, they I mean, if they had NBA numbers, yeah yeah, but how they let that style of play was more creative, But it just became it was it was more about so many of these teams were living on like a shoe string budget, and and so it just it was like, God, this could be a funny place for a comedy of a player, owner, coach who is scrambling to keep his team alive in Flint, Michigan. And and of course they're the Tropics, which makes no sense, but what makes sense in an A B A world? And uh, we just thought, oh, it's it's such a it's such a cool world to have a fun different array of characters. And and you know, there's only four teams that are A B A teams that made in the NBA.
Speaker 2: They are.
Speaker 1: You guys, Oh, you guys missed the Murders San Antonio.
Speaker 4: You play you played on one, you played for one of them.
Speaker 1: I wish you did a no no, the former Abas.
Speaker 4: Oh he played for two pacers, Ah didn't. The other two are Denver Nuggets and uh nuts.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: But the fact that the Tropics are trying to make it and then they the.
Speaker 2: Tropics, and that it is training like a basketball training where you should move.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had we had an whole training camp and I'm open, I'm open everything.
Speaker 2: Camp.
Speaker 4: Whole training camp it was, which was the most fun part we had played in those terrible old school shows. We played on a floor we played that that was just literally wood on concrete. So there was no, it was bad. But I just remember like, wait, why is Pouh Richardson here? And uh, He's like, oh, he's gonna play He's going to play on one of the teams. So he played on the Spurs in the movie, and we had we had a couple x like a lot of ex college players and anyway, it was. It was the most fun movie to shoot because we got to play ball almost every day.
Speaker 1: And then sometimes those movies are tricky because again, how NASCAR wanted it to appear real, You want basketball to appear real. But yeah, you guys made that work. Yeah, yeah, probably because you're playing center here. But we couldn't selfish. We could unselfish center. Yeah, and that was my real hair too. They're Alone was wondering fact.
Speaker 2: Back.
Speaker 1: Tough one but it was.
Speaker 4: But but like the ABA we had, we had trouble getting enough extra background people to be in the crowd scenes, so we had to move them around the arena. Okay, now everyone move over here, Now change your your now your fans of this team.
Speaker 1: And so that was what city did you guys shooting?
Speaker 2: We shot it.
Speaker 4: We shot it all here. We shot three or four days in Flint.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's basically what they're doing in arcade games. Everybody gotta make it work. You got these Shack and Kobe memories or stories being court sided.
Speaker 4: Actually that's one of my favorite Staples memories. Okay, So I had friends of mine who got we would always get ourselves joke gifts for birthday. Got me a full Staples Center security that's outfit. I remember that the Reds when they used to wear the red jackets. In fact, I should have worn that today. You imagine if you guys had your tuxedos. I address is full Staples.
Speaker 1: It would have been over. We just take pictures all day. We probably woudn't even talk.
Speaker 4: And guess what my name is. They got my name as a security person, Ted Vagina that was on Sports Center and everything.
Speaker 1: How long ago was that because I remember it was that like this ten years ago, seven years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so I snuck it in and then during one of the breaks, I stood up next to and pretended to be security, and it it became like this bier people in the crowd started but I kept a serious face and I just because you know how they just stand there like you have no expression. Next thing, you know, I sat back down. People started. I get a tap on the shoulder. There's a guy's like, you know, Shack's here. He's he's on the baseline, just down over there. I'm with Shack. He's like, he thinks it's do you want to throw him out of the game because he's about to leave. It's like in the fourth court he's gonna probably leave. And I'm like yes, So I get back at my stuff. I stand up during the commercial break and I start looking on them and I'm like, hey, cut it out. And he's like what. I'm like, stop it you. I'm just like motioning, and then he's going what. I'm like, that's it. So I throw him out of the game. And it gets this big round of applause. But it was all Shack's idea.
Speaker 1: It's always saxcited.
Speaker 4: Then he's got good idea he does, and then he was People were just laughing and and he was like, I'm proud of you, man. I'm like, for what, no, just where your career is done, I'm proud of you. And I'm like, this is one of the funniest things I've ever done.
Speaker 2: He stands memes at least two memes a day.
Speaker 4: To my phone really yes, Yeah, he's just a big old kid. Yeah right, And then we did we did a sketch one. He came on Saturday Night Live once, not as the host, but as like a just sketch, you know, shacks around. He wants to be in sketches, and they wrote a sketch that was so funny that got cut, but I think you can still find it online where I'm like dressed in like little kids booty pajamas and the cast is pick picking on me, they're making fun of me, and then Shaq shows up. He's like, what's going on? Like, I'm like shack, the cast is making fun of me. He's like, come over here, and he picks me up in his arms like a baby, and he proceeds to sing a song called no One's Gone to Hurt my little Man, and we sing a duet together about how no One's gonna hurt while I'm in his arm yes, and I'm six three spelt two d and twenty pounds and he picked me up no problem, and we sang and I was like, you're funny, You're that's hilarious. But he had a funnier show than the host.
Speaker 1: At least he had clothes on, because he does it like that sometimes while he's naked. Oh he really.
Speaker 4: Anyway, that's why we get along.
Speaker 1: There you go. Yeah, you guys, you guys chest here can touch Yeah. Usc USC basketball is in good hands right now with Juju returning from injury. A friend of a program, Elijah or renas, do you get a chance to catch SD sports at all?
Speaker 4: Aby or I've I've gone to a couple the women's game, not as much as I I thought. I go to USC football games here and there, but I like to go to more of the basketball all.
Speaker 1: Right before quick hitters? H Dad, How important is you to be present kids? Family? A thriving career? This lasted a very long time. How important is you to be present for your family and your kids? In particular?
Speaker 4: Children are overrated. I'm annoyed by that. I don't even know why we had kids. They eat your food, they're they're money and time stuck. Piss all exactly, piss them for that. They don't empty the dishwasher, take out the trash, or do anything.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I've always tried. I've I've always tried to as much as I've worked, I've always tried to set a big chunk of time, usually in the summer, for us to just be a family and uh, and we've always kind of talked about we've always kind of tried to impart with our boys that like, Okay, you're going to grow up in Hollywood, You're going to grow up in la and that's just a part of it. But you know, you don't just try. You can't come off as as you know, you have to say please and thank you have to look people in the eye, you have to shake their hand and exactly and that everything I've achieved, like it's always you know, it's a really thin margin between everything can go away really quickly because a lot of it is chance and luck and opportunity. And so you just have to you can't take anything for granted and and use that approach in your day to day life. And people will be surprised and impressed that you're, you know, not some kid who just stares at his phone, and that you're actually present and engaged. And so that's all we've ever talked about.
Speaker 1: You had kids to play sports, you ever attempted the cuss refs out or yell at rests or you just kind of sit back.
Speaker 4: No, I'm I leave the refs alone.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: As my own experience as a as a volunteer referee, mostly in soccer, okay, watching parents lose their minds, right, I'm.
Speaker 1: A coach and yeah he lost his mind?
Speaker 4: Have you as a parent or as a coach. Both my kids are on the coach so so I'm curious about that. When yeah, when you where their moment are you usually like, guy, why did I do that? Or you're like, no, they deserved it.
Speaker 1: Probably more on the that they deserved the side because that's coming from a good place. Yeah, it's coming from a genuine place. Yeah, it's it's it's interesting because I coach my kids. I have twin boys, and I feel like sometimes like when I first started coaching kids, we get the our team would get the bad end the stick because of who their dad was, you know what I mean. So they'd been trying to show out or not trying to show so, you know, sometimes I just had to throw a few polite words their way just to make them know they were here and right right right stop.
Speaker 4: But you're an ex NBA player, I don't feel like I can yell a run.
Speaker 1: A movie star though, I don't much rather hear you yelled than me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh and so I've been to I've been too polite this whole time, all time.
Speaker 1: Definitely, you still got time.
Speaker 4: That was a terrible call. Do you know how much my movies have made? There we go, there we go, we combined? You call that a travel?
Speaker 2: That was a go with that wash?
Speaker 1: That's a no.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm always like because I just see we see these videos of parents losing their minds against and yes, you sports referee, it's gonna be very inconsistent.
Speaker 1: Paid twenty dollars a game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, I usually lay back.
Speaker 2: Is that Willie Nelson's line?
Speaker 4: Uh No, this is a but it is a It is a company in text us based out of Austin, Okay.
Speaker 2: Cricket?
Speaker 4: Yeah that's yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Has Willy been? Has Willy been?
Speaker 5: Have not?
Speaker 1: We'd love to you got to track Willie down When I want to burn one with.
Speaker 4: You, You're gonna have to. You have to go on the road. Probably, I'm fine with that.
Speaker 2: Willy.
Speaker 4: Are you watching this?
Speaker 2: These guys.
Speaker 4: Will when when when's the next tour, Scott, They'll go to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they'll they'll get you infuse drinks. Infuse drinks.
Speaker 4: Yea, man, they'll come on your bus. They probably, they probably won't leave, and.
Speaker 2: We'll find down Nelson, which is making a big old pow wow.
Speaker 4: Oh, good old Donnie.
Speaker 1: First thing to come to mind. Let us know a movie you see in theaters recently that you loved. Do you go to theaters?
Speaker 4: When was the last time I was in a theater? I shouldn't say that you have to go the theater. Support support movies in theaters, please.
Speaker 2: Michael Jackson? Was the last time was last night? Really?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen Michael Jackson.
Speaker 4: And that's that's a that's a movie you have to see in the theater.
Speaker 2: Yes, you have to.
Speaker 1: I saw Goat with the kids.
Speaker 2: You have a munchy snack, probably.
Speaker 5: Popcorn? Sorry that flame? Yeah you could have kept that all right, that's the worst heard he puts the honey bun and some ship ding dongs skittles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how about like Swedish fish?
Speaker 2: You gross?
Speaker 4: Gross, no sugar, but there's sure there are no sugar.
Speaker 2: You're not. You're not.
Speaker 4: I need to get you some good Sweedish fish.
Speaker 1: You're not.
Speaker 4: I don't know where you're getting your fish?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah? I don't know where you get your fish from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you unwind other than time with your fake testicles?
Speaker 4: Let's see? Probably I just uh, you know what, I really love lighting a fire in my backyard, not like a you know, in a fireplace. I'm not crazy person.
Speaker 6: Uh and yeah, sunset relaxing, Yeah, exactly, a glass of wine exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're not the only one that get caught staring at the fireplace. Oh I do. I'll do that.
Speaker 4: It's mesmerizing.
Speaker 1: But you're on drug.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm definitely when I Yeah. One album you can listen to and repeat Kenny log Probably.
Speaker 1: Log is probably you know Kenny Logs is.
Speaker 2: Kidding?
Speaker 1: Is here?
Speaker 2: This is it?
Speaker 4: Magus one of them I could listen to on repeat.
Speaker 2: He was straight to the note to He was straight to the note.
Speaker 4: About peaches Nerds.
Speaker 2: You go.
Speaker 1: Five dinner guests, dead are alive? You plus five? I was trying to pull I was trying to pull this off, but couldn't. They couldn't come to U U plus five dead or alive dinner dinner dinner. Guess Matt Barnes, you're probably the second person is invited to dinner. So thank you and we asked that question like three times. So thank you.
Speaker 4: Kenny Loggins. Hey, Peaches and herb and we're and we're on Willingnesson's tour bus at six.
Speaker 2: That's nice. That's nice. That's nice. I like that Shahood Crush.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm like, I'm like a kid of seventies TV. So fair yeah, fair face. Uh, Christie Tigu's I really like Julie McCoy on the Love Boat.
Speaker 1: Okay, these were all in your bank bank.
Speaker 4: Sank bank probably yeah, probably?
Speaker 1: Uh? Who else?
Speaker 4: Oh no, not quite?
Speaker 2: I like her.
Speaker 4: Who is who? I kind of like the other threes company. Yeah, like the other woman.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, jam it's more of a Janet, really interesting Janet, not so much some weird ladies.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, all right, I'm giving you, gonna give you three players. Put them in your order. Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Lebron, James Wrinkham.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, it's got to be and and whoever's third?
Speaker 2: Still great.
Speaker 4: They're so mad, but they're they're they're still great.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I have this argument all the time with my kids. There you go that it's got to be Michael, uh, because everyone forgets he was always all defensive NBA First Team in addition to what he did offensively nine times, nine times. And then I think, I think I'll have to just as a Laker fan, go Kobe second, Lebron third.
Speaker 2: Wrong with that, That's how that's how I look at it.
Speaker 1: I agree, But but you can have anyone.
Speaker 4: But do you know who are the most satisfied Olympic medal winners? When they did a survey, mm hmm, So they interviewed gold medal, silver, bronze. Who's the happiest of the three. Yes, because they didn't expect to win, So Lebron be happy with bronze. He's going to be so happy. It's good reasoning because the gold medal winners there was so much pressure. They were like, thank god, I just want because they probably expected to win the silver. They're mad they thought. The Brons are like, I don't even I didn't even plan to come to the party.
Speaker 1: Yes, this last minute, if you could see one guest on our show, who could it be?
Speaker 2: But you have to help us get your answer on the show.
Speaker 4: We I don't know how to help, but it sounds like you need to get Willy on the show.
Speaker 2: I have to.
Speaker 1: I have to be a part of this, you have to say shut your mouth.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, pan pan pan Panda, shut your mouth.
Speaker 1: That was good, That was good. Well, thank you very much, man, it was an honor with you you guys coming out on Netflix sixteenth. Make sure you catch my birthday is around my birthday, you know what, I don't almost spoil it in their mind. Okay, thank your honor. That's all right. Well you cast us on all the Smoke Production YouTube and the draft king nets work. Coming out on Netflix July sixteenth.
Speaker 4: H Jeda Christian Oh