Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live every day at YouTube dot com slash the Dan Patrick Show. You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two. On this Thursday, we'll check in with the Kentucky head coach John Calipering. He'll join us momentarily. Brian Scalabrini, former NBA player now a broadcaster for the Celtics NBC Sports Boston.
Speaker 2: He'll join us.
Speaker 1: After what he saw last night, Celtics dominated the seventy six ers, Joe Ellenbi came back, wasn't at full strength. And here's his head coach Doc Rivers talking about the MVP's performance.
Speaker 3: You know, early on, I thought he got a rhythm a couple of times, and I thought we were out of rhythm as well.
Speaker 4: But we expected that.
Speaker 3: We knew they were going to have to be some kind of growing pains bringing them back, and you know, so I'm glad we got it out of the way today.
Speaker 1: You got him back, got you know maybe his legs underneath him a little bit. He was wearing a brace and wasn't really a factor, But then nobody was really a factor for Philadelphia. They got what they wanted. They got the split. I wouldn't have had imbid go to Boston and play in the game. I would have had him wait a couple more days and then maybe you get him to be one hundred percent healthy or as close to that as possible. But you got the split. That's what you needed, that's what you wanted. Now you go back home. The Lakers they want more than a split at Golden State Game two coming up tonight, But Golden State is favored by six in that game. And in case you're wondering for entertainment purposes, only the over under for Anthony Davis twenty six and a half Lebron twenty five and a half. Steph Curry over under is thirty and a half. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. It's a big game for the Lakers, it's a big game for Golden ste date as well. But if you win both games in San Francisco and then you come back home. Now you got him because maybe Golden State can take one of two there and now it's three to one, and trying to overcome that you're not the same team you were last year. And I do think the Lakers are a better all around team than Golden State, but that's with Anthony Davis playing at a very high level, and that's always the challenge. Back to back games for him and the over under twenty six and a half, it feels like they're just begging you to take the under, like there's no way he's going to put together back to back great games. But he did this against Memphis where it'd be a really good game and then an average game. But this is a game, you know, he's going against the front line that's not imposing at all, but getting him in rhythm early. Lebron talked about that, that getting him shots early and then getting him in the flow of things and then he you know, he's great at both ends of the floor, blocking a lot of shots there. But the Lakers tonight at Golden State, they're six point underdogs eight seven seven to three. DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle, a DP show pole question for hour two is what seton. If you're watching on Peacock. By the way, thank you downloading the app, our streaming partner and our radio affiliates, iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio, nearly three hundred and ninety cities around America.
Speaker 2: Seaton. We're gonna switch it up to Wander Franco.
Speaker 5: Okay, short stuff from these He had that from the race, he had that little like flip move.
Speaker 1: He had an easy grounder and then he kind of flipped the ball up, flipped it.
Speaker 2: Up in the air, caught it and then sent it over to first. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, wander Franco's flip move last night.
Speaker 2: It was cool or cocky both m Yes, that's true. Yeah, it can be cool and super cocky.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: But he also had the catch down the left field line recently where it was a bare handed catch, almost like Kevin Mitchell with the Mets, where he overran it and he couldn't use his glove, put out his hand and he caught the ball bare handed.
Speaker 5: And I think he hit like a bomb last night too, like a four hundred and twenty something foot.
Speaker 1: You know what, We'll tease that because let me make way for your coach, Cali Perry Kentucky had basketball coach kind enough to join us. He was at the nixt game the other night. How does that work when you want to go to the next game? Who places the call and who tells you where you get to sit?
Speaker 7: Come on, you know, I'm calling William Wesley, I'm calling Leon Rose.
Speaker 2: Come on, you do it, You do it.
Speaker 6: If I want good seats, I have to call.
Speaker 1: Do you get to say, hey, I want to sit next to Aaron Rodgers or Jessica Alba.
Speaker 6: No, no, I don't they get to ask you if they.
Speaker 1: Can sit next to me. Maybe years ago that would be the case. I don't know about this year.
Speaker 2: Coach.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get it like far away from him as possible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you may be right, You may be right.
Speaker 1: How close do you think you were to, you know, leaving Kentucky or them wanting you to leave Kentucky? Like, did it ever get to the point where you had to have a meeting to say, you know, where are we going together?
Speaker 7: No? No, you know, here's my thing again? What we got going? We we've been so at a high level last year in the year before. If we win forty seven forty eight games in two years and two NCAA tournaments and all that in a normal place. That's wow, we got this wrong in Kentucky. There's something different about Kentucky Good and Kentucky good.
Speaker 6: You know, we've been there.
Speaker 7: I mean it was only when we the season ended with Maxi quickly, Ashton Nick, the guys we had on that group where we could have won a national title that year that we won the league by three. That was only a few years ago. Then you have the COVID year, then the last two years. But you know what, we've got a good group coming in. The Landscape has changed. This transfer stuff has changed stuff. The name, image and likeness has changed stuff. But no, I think we're on a good path. You know, I want to do some special things here. You know, we got six years left to do some really good stuff, and I think we're doing some staff things.
Speaker 2: Well what do you mean six years?
Speaker 7: Well, I've got six years on a contract and I'm like saying, all right, let's let's make this run and let's do some things. Let's get this back where we were. And again, you know, we haven't been that far. I mean two years ago we were the fifth overall seed. Like you know, I mean we and a couple of us lost to Saint Pete's. I was just somewhere last night, and well, when I was at the next game, somebody came up and said, I'm an say Peter's graduate. Thank you you made I said, yeah, well you're really happy. I wasn't really happy. And neither were the other schools that lost to them. After we lost to them, I mean they how about they could have been in the final four. Ye So but anyway, that's behind. Look you know me, I don't have a rear view mirror. My stuff is always looking ahead, what's next? How are we first at it? I mean you're talking about name, image and likeness. I don't like to get into that with players because you don't come to Kentucky. I call that tripping over Nichols to try to get to an NBA Max contract. I mean, we've probably got twelve or thirteen guys in the league now that have Max deals, and you got others. It may be fifteen sixteen in another year or two. So, but our kids make more than anybody. You saw Jacob Topping on an AT and T commercial little wayings in my office saying where's Jacob Topping?
Speaker 6: I saw them on that at and T commercial.
Speaker 7: You've got John Morgan, Morgan and Morgan national stuff because we're at Kentucky and because you know, our TV even last year rated higher than anybody what we do and what we're seeing.
Speaker 1: But these kids want what the other kids are getting at other schools.
Speaker 6: Coach, and they will, but I'm not.
Speaker 7: I don't want to go in and the first thing I talk about is name, image and likeness.
Speaker 6: That's not why you come to Kentucky.
Speaker 7: That isn't yet you are going to do better than anywhere else you go, but why talk about that? I mean, literally, you're coming here. I've had many players say their first year in the NBA was at Kentucky. All that we did, how we practice, how we competed, and that's what's happened, you know, Case and you know looking right now like a lottery pick from last year. I mean, that's what this is about. Winning at the highest level, knowing that every game is I'm on Super Bowl, knowing you can't hide You're going to be on national television. And Dan, why do you think people want to watch Kentucky so much?
Speaker 6: Because they want to see us win?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 7: No, and when we're up twenty they turned the TV off. I understand that our team doesn't, but all that you do by coming here.
Speaker 6: Of the competitive practices.
Speaker 7: You can't hide, and now you're prepared for what's ahead. Watching Julius, watching Bam, watching Emmanual quickly, you know, seeing what MAXI did. I'm trying to go out west so I can see the lakes and see those guys and Anthony and Jared and Whenyon and then seeing both Jamaal and Devin trying to go out west to what I missed Sacramento. I mean, I'm so mad because I thought they could advance and I'd have time. But d Fox and Malik and Trey Lows. I mean, these kids are all competing. Someone said, how they're getting No, they're.
Speaker 6: Not twenty four and twenty five. That's when they're coming into their prime.
Speaker 1: I'm wondered about, you know, transfer portal, name, image and likeness and being able to sustain that and want to continue to coach. We've seen some of these coaches, you know. Beheim said, you know, I've never been happier, like it's off my shoulders, you know, Coach k I know, getting older, you know, Jay Wright saying, man I've never felt better than I'm out from this, like it's changed so much, and I wonder if it's just going to eat up these coaches that it's not longevity wise, where you're going to stay thirty you know, thirty years as a head coach in college.
Speaker 7: Well at one school at this point that I don't believe that will ever happen again.
Speaker 6: But for me, I'm not in it.
Speaker 7: I'm trying to make sure whatever I'm doing, what makes me happy is seeing kids improve and get better and coming together and winning at the highest level, competing for national titles, winning national titles.
Speaker 6: But the whole point of it is am I able to help kids?
Speaker 7: And if I'm not because of the transfer portal or nil, that may change things. But right now again, we got a great class coming in of young people. We've got some vets coming back. I'm good with.
Speaker 1: This, but could you let me could you see getting players who aren't going to be one and done.
Speaker 6: Well, every player that comes here thinks he's one and done. I know they're not all one and done.
Speaker 7: No, and I tell him, don't come here thinking you're staying for one year. Talk about two and three years and after one if you're able to go, I'll be the first one. Right now I'm dealing with when the season is in season, it's all about team. I'm not worried about individuals at that point, but when the year ends, it's always about the individual player and what's best that now, not only NBA, it's thrown in the transfer portal. So like with he was in my office yesterday and I'm talking to NBA teams. I talked to one owner about Oscar because he's going to do some more workouts. And my thing right now is to do everything I can to help Oscar get in that league because I believe they'll stay Oscar.
Speaker 1: I just want to let people know who you're talking about. Oscar sheib Way, who is going to be a lot of repicker.
Speaker 7: Who who knows why he won't be a lot of repick? But no one knows who he was. No one knew who he was. He comes to Kentucky, all of a sudden, this kid explodes, and I'm telling you, the greatest kid. Do I want to coach Oscar another year? Yes?
Speaker 6: One am I stupid? Stupid? Yes I want to coach him another year.
Speaker 7: But if I'm doing right by him, I got to give him every opportunity to run this out and see exactly where he is and so. But I've also had to have kids walk in and say, Coach, I think it's better that I leave.
Speaker 6: I was with CJ.
Speaker 7: Frederick and walked him through that situation and tried to help him and told him, I'm disappointed you're leaving, but I understand and let me help you, and you walk.
Speaker 6: Through it that way. I'm not mad.
Speaker 7: I'm mad because you're leaving her. You should never this thing right now. Let me my opinion. Transfer portal in the past before they could leave without penalty.
Speaker 6: I would help a kid try to play right away.
Speaker 4: I would.
Speaker 7: I didn't care about a kid sitting out, but should be able to transfer once without penalty. Because maybe the coach lied to you, maybe you picked the wrong place, maybe you overestimated who you were, so you can leave. If you graduate from the other school, you can leave again.
Speaker 6: That's two.
Speaker 7: If for some reason the coach gets fired or leaves or whatever, you should have that option. Short of that, anything should be added. If you get a waiver for injury, it gives you another year. If you get a waiver for mental health, you need to step back. You're having this step back, get yourself right, and then we'll.
Speaker 6: Add a year at the end.
Speaker 7: That way, you having kids transfer three and four times. It's not sustainable and it's not good for young people to just say, well, I'm doing this and I'm trying to get this and I'm going to go. I mean, what we've been able to do is work through stuff, and that's kind of being taken away.
Speaker 6: So when you add that.
Speaker 7: All together, it's a little bit of a cluster right now we need and it all falls down. It all falls on coaches. It's not falling on college presidents. It's not falling on ads. It's falling on coaches. I just talked to a women's coach and he said one of his girls left and got money to go to the other to the other program.
Speaker 6: So it's happening in women's basketball.
Speaker 1: Well, we saw that Louisville. They just lost their best player Ben And.
Speaker 7: Then I was talking to Jimbo Fisher. I said, what's happening in football? He says, oh, my gosh. So there's got to be some guidance where the guardrails are what we do. But I said this from the beginning, all of This is going to help Kentucky. Kids are going to want to transfer to Kentucky. We're going to be able to put the best stuff together. I'm not sure if it's the best thing for college sports or college basketball and coaches.
Speaker 6: Many mid level coaches are going to get.
Speaker 7: Fired because their best players are leaving, and then they have a struggle year and another struggle and they're gone.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's not great for the profession. I don't think it's great for the kids.
Speaker 1: I'll leave you with this. Have you recruited Lebron's son.
Speaker 7: Well out west? And I can't mention all that. Lebron's a friend, but his son did get scholarship papers when he was born, So I sent scholarship papers.
Speaker 6: A minute he was I sent him so to the hospital.
Speaker 7: Lebron's a great friend, and I'm not allowed to talk about it. He's a he's a recruitable athlete. Oh did you You'll get me in trouble.
Speaker 4: I know, socks?
Speaker 6: Do you hold on socks? What kind of socks do you have on today? Don't tell me you had? Do you have socks on today?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Adidas?
Speaker 6: Okay, do you remember the flowery ones you had the last time. Yeah, I couldn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what yeah, what about it?
Speaker 7: I'm a I'm a court and shoot.
Speaker 6: You remember before the game, you go into court and shoot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I put on a damn display when I did.
Speaker 6: No, no, the dating stuff didn't come.
Speaker 2: No, no, no.
Speaker 1: See, the fire department came over that day and they said, oh my god, we got to put that guy's arm out.
Speaker 2: It's on fire.
Speaker 6: I called.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a true story when when you were up at UMass and I was putting on an aerial display and a shooting and a shooting performance there with flowered socks are yeah, and that's what the great ones do. Patino offered me. Nil, just let you know. I like it when you have nothing to say. It's great, it's great. It doesn't happen very often, but.
Speaker 2: I do like that.
Speaker 1: That done not really, Hey, good luck next year, and I appreciate your time as always. That's that's coach John Caliperi. He gets tickets to the Knicks games. Got him all fired up there. Not allowed to talk about Lebron's son. Get him in trouble. All right, We'll take a break. Brian Scalvobrini, the Celtic broadcaster will join us coming up. We'll get phone calls as well. Back after this and the Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock app. Pete Davidson is everywhere and now Everywhere includes Peacock. Bubcus is new semi autobiographical comedy series on Peacock. Edie Falco is in there, Joe Peshi is in there. Bubcus is streaming now only on Peacock. I have been reading about it. I'm fascinated about it and an interesting cast there for Bubcus with Pete Davidson.
Speaker 2: Yes, I write a little about it this morning.
Speaker 8: It's I guess it's kind of like maybe a darker curb your enthusiasm, or it's like how it's final Larry david but Larry David playing a heightened version of himself type thing, and Pete Davidson plays a version of himself but you know, with a script web kiss.
Speaker 1: Brian Scalabrini, Celtics analyst NBC Sports Boston, and he was with the Celtics when they won it All in two thousand and eight the White Mamba, and Scalabrini says, the Celtics have no excuse not to win a championship this year, and he joins this now, but if they don't win the championship, it will be because of what or who.
Speaker 9: Brian, I don't know about who, but I'll tell you if they're roller coach to ride, maybe not taking the regular season seriously. I mean, right now, you look around the NBA and everyone is like flipping a switch. The Lakers slipped the switch. The Golden State Warriors are flipping a switch in Miami. He flipped the switch. So the Celtics maybe playing with fire right there. But you know, like you see him in Game one, you realize, you guys got to play a lot harder if you're going to win. Then you watch him in the third quarter of Game two and you realize what their potential is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I they feel like they're not threatening some nights. It's weird to watch a team that's that talented but then they know shows sometimes yeah, and why I don't think.
Speaker 9: They understand how difficult it is and how hard you have to play. By the way, you can see this if you watch the Knicks play the Miami Heat in Game two. It was almost like the Knicks didn't realize, well, Jimmy Butler's not out there, let's just coast to victory.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just not like that.
Speaker 9: And I think the Miami Heat right now in the playoffs, you look at them, they work every possession.
Speaker 4: Eric Sposa is doing the same thing.
Speaker 9: That's what it takes to win a championship, even when you have the most talent. So I'm sometimes maybe surprised maybe habits throughout the regular season. We're living in an era where the players don't take the regular season seriously. You know, in the past, the great players have been able to flip a switch. Maybe these guys feel like they could do it, and they clearly the Celtics did it. From Game won to Game two, they went to a new level. And everyone would talk about adjustments. Dan, Sometimes it's just playing harder, pressuring the ball, being in people's airspace. That's a big adjustment in the NBA.
Speaker 1: And sometimes when the star player's not there, you kind of exhale a little bit, and then Harden goes off and by the time you realize he's going off, you can't stop him and you get steamrolled there a little bit. But with Embiid coming back, how surprised were you that he came back and he came back on the road as opposed to staying in Philadelphia. They already got their split, sure, and that's what I thought, Maybe you just keep him in Philly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So, Dan, this is the way that I looked at that particular game, and I would guess if I was in the meetings with Doc Rivers, he would say the same thing. So obviously game three is huge, Right, you got Embiid hoisting the trophy. On any given night, when you're going through a series, like Jimmy Butler taking off game two after one, it's totally fine to get a couple of resties.
Speaker 4: But Dan, and b if he.
Speaker 9: Didn't play last night, he wouldn't have played for thirteen days. There's not like it's not more is better on this one, Like you're eventually gonna have to play through an injury. Two days is not gonna make that big of a difference. So I thought that what Philly got out of that was and b got a chance to kind of get his feet underneath him, because you got to expect in Game three Philly crowd late start. You know they need this at Boston, Philly hoisting MVP trophies. You don't want MB to be coming off of a thirteen day layoff. So the Celtics feel good about what they got. They got the they got back on tracking game two. But Philly also feels good. We're getting our MVP back. You know, he's gonna be He's gonna have his Sea legs underneath him, and we're gonna have the crowd behind us. I think I don't think there's been a game in Philly right now in about twelve days where now all of a sudden, or maybe it's ten and all of a sudden, now that crowd is gonna be rabid. So it's gonna be a really good game three.
Speaker 1: Scalabrini, Celtics analyst, former player, part of the two thousand and eight championship team with the Celtics and the White Mamba.
Speaker 2: How did you get that nickname, Stacey King?
Speaker 9: That's how like, uh, he's the uh, he's the analyst for the Chicago Bulls. You know, like he I made I made a pair of shoes from Kobe and I slapped him down on the table and he started calling me the white Mama.
Speaker 4: Since ever since.
Speaker 2: Then did Kobe ever talk about that?
Speaker 9: So he reached out on Twitter and you know, welcome me to Twitter, White Mamba. That was only this the only stamping of the white Mamba from Kobe.
Speaker 1: He gave me an all star jersey and he said to the white Mamba.
Speaker 4: So maybe maybe maybe all of us, maybe all white guy.
Speaker 1: I think he was complimenting me by calling me that. I I didn't, you know, say, I'm going to call myself this. But I figured if Kobe co signed on this or signed off on it, then literally then I was I was pretty good. But but you faced all of these guys, didn't you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean Kobe was. His shot making ability was off the charts. Like I'm you know, I think it's very similar to what we're seeing right now with the skill level of the player. It was an anomaly back then for a guy go right, go left, step back, right, step back left, finish right, finished left.
Speaker 4: Like most guys had tendencies to do five things.
Speaker 9: I went I had I had a match up with Kobe one day, so I wanted to watch film, you know, like, so we have something called synergy. You can get his last hundred clips. He took ninety eight different types of shots. Then I asked for another one hundred clips, and there was like seventy four different types of shots.
Speaker 4: Like I went into the game, like.
Speaker 1: But what was the scouting report on Kobe?
Speaker 4: There is none? I mean for there had to be.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, like you were, you were more dialed into where your help was coming from. Don't let him get to the middle of the floor, because we're not going to help you there.
Speaker 4: You're going to have somebody on the baseline. It's like that. It wasn't like i'm telling you. I could tell you.
Speaker 9: Tracy McGrady and the hesitation, Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, they all had about five or seven things they did.
Speaker 1: What about Lebron? What did you try to get him to do?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so Lebron at the back in the day hesitation right or when he goes left, he steps back, so you kind of want him not to get to his right hand. You know what made Lebron great back then was his passing right, And this is all pre championship Lebron, Like I'm out of the league in twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't really play my last couple of years. It was just kind of like the.
Speaker 9: Guy on the bench, so like you're not getting into a matchup where you're I'm like, I'm like, not like Paul Pierce that has to guard him, you know, sixty five possessions or he's going through you know, fifty picking rolls. But they all have like a tendency. But right now you look at players much more skilled than what we've ever seen, like the Curry effect that Damian Lillard. I mean he just go shake Gilgris Alexander a guy and no one even talks about like these are so elitely skilled and they don't have much offensive weaknesses or game.
Speaker 1: What's it like, though, when you're sitting on the bench, at the end of the bench and sitting next to you is a civilian, like some rich guy and he's sitting right there with you.
Speaker 9: The funniest interaction. I didn't even know who the guy was. We were in the NBA Finals my rookie year and Brad Pitt was that guy, right, I.
Speaker 4: Didn't know it was Brad Pitt.
Speaker 9: And he had like he was like like, you know, you think of Brad Pitt, Like I'm not dumb, Like Brad Pitt's a great looking guy, like you see him on the movies.
Speaker 4: You're like, this guy had long hair, he had a beard.
Speaker 9: It was like it was he almost looked like Forrest Gump when he was, you know, running across the country when you know, he was just all raggedy and he smelt like cigarettes.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, I tell.
Speaker 9: One of my teammates, sink, why the hell they let these guys just sit here like that? And my boys like, you don't know who that is. I'm like, ah, he's like, that's Brad Pitt. I'm like Brad Pitt from the movie seven. He's like, yeah, that guy.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, what was he filming that he looked like that.
Speaker 4: I have no idea, Like he couldn't have looked any worse. Put it that way.
Speaker 1: I had a bad experience, an embarrassing one at the Lakers game and I'm I'm walking around, you know, I think I'm a big deal at Sports Center. I'm walking around, you know, right before the game all the celebrities, and then I see, like, you know, Justin Timberlake's there, and Brad Pitt's there. I go up to Brad Pitt. I said, hey, Brad, I'm Dan Patrick's Sports Center.
Speaker 2: He has no idea who I am.
Speaker 1: Well, I go back and sit down, and rich Eisen's wife was there next to me, and she goes.
Speaker 2: Hey, you got a booger in your nose?
Speaker 10: And I go what.
Speaker 6: I do?
Speaker 2: She goes yeah.
Speaker 1: I said, oh my god, I just walked by Brad. So Brad Pitt's sitting down looking straight up my nose. Yeah, and he's got me thinking that guy had a booger in his nose.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: No matter what, he's not reaching out and shaking your nose. He's not nice to meet you. He's only thinking about one.
Speaker 2: Thing at that point.
Speaker 1: Who has more to gain from winning a championship? Steph or Lebron.
Speaker 9: You know, I think it's Steph Curry because I think pretty much everyone in the world the basketball had stamped Lebron as it the best or the second best, and the jury's still out like not for me. I think Steph Curry's an all time great.
Speaker 2: Like is he top ten? Yeah, top five, he might be top five.
Speaker 9: He might be like if you don't, like if you can get past, Like he's not gonna dunk on you, He's not going to do that.
Speaker 4: But like like he's an assassin out there. He's a killer.
Speaker 9: Like he's a Steph above Larry Bird. Yeah, cause the longevity. Yeah, he's gonna get me in trouble. Like if Larry would have played, you know, like if he would have kept on going late and I mean didn't, Yeah, Larry Bird would be better. But like longevity does matter. It's like it's the reason why Lebron his numbers are going to be off the chart. So and I know, like Steph Curry's resting, you know, you know those those deprivation tanks, and he's got bodywork people and all that. And back in the day, they they drank a six pack and smoke a cigarette like that was their recovery. So I get all that, but you can't look at body of work when you're talking about the all time greats and not factor in like the longevity of it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why what Lebron has done. You know that he's got the greatest resume in NBA history, no question, right, he does. He might not be the greatest player. Could Steph Curry move past Lebron in your opinion? Yeah, with the championship, this championship, you would put him ahead of Lebron on the all time.
Speaker 9: I don't know about that. That'd be really good. That's that's but Steph's story. If they win again this year, Dan, this story's not over.
Speaker 2: Oh I know.
Speaker 1: And then he would say, look, I want another title with Elt Durant because we were like, oh, El Durant came in, he won a couple of titles.
Speaker 2: Well you want to add out.
Speaker 9: I mean, I don't anybody that uses that as an argument for Lebron Lebron joined d Wade Like I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 9: You can't if you have a problem with the super team, you can't pick and choose what super team you have a problem with. You can't just say like, I'm okay with what Lebron did, but I'm not okay with what Steph did. Like, you can't do that. You got to just have a problem with all super teams. And that's fine. That's your opinion. But no, I mean, Steph's story isn't done. We don't know he's not slowing down. We don't know what it's going to end, like, but his numbers could be not what Lebron's are. But I mean, if he went to another championship, he has more championships, you can make the argument he's done it with less.
Speaker 4: I think the Lebron.
Speaker 9: Championship in Cleveland was an all time great championship, like Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love like like that was really impressive for Lebron down three one, the Warriors, seventy three and nineteen. That that sort of stamped the whole thing. Yeah, I don't really take a lot of stock into the Bubble Championship. I think there's some variability into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but everybody was in the bubble so it was a neutral site.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 9: But when you're older and you get four months off going into it, you don't have to travel and stuff like that, I think you have a little bit of an advantage. Look, I get it, I get it. I just don't I count it. I just don't count as an all time difficult one.
Speaker 4: But you know, like I just.
Speaker 2: Nobody does that to Jordan.
Speaker 1: When Jordan beat the Lakers and Magic didn't play got injured, there nobody goes, yeah, but you weren't facing, you know, a quality Laker team.
Speaker 9: They did go on the road and beat the Lakers, and that's like beating Magic Johnson's the big deal.
Speaker 2: But Magic was injured?
Speaker 4: How injured was he?
Speaker 2: Didn't he have like the thigh injury there?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I don't, I don't. I mean it was in ninety one. I don't know.
Speaker 2: But it feels like we do this to Lebron.
Speaker 9: Well, the fact that Michael never lost after he started winning every season he started for nineteen ninety.
Speaker 1: Okay, but what happened about the nine years where he didn't get to the NBA finals?
Speaker 4: I mean, that's you factor that in.
Speaker 2: But I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not holding Lebron's losses.
Speaker 1: Against them, and I think people do though, Brian. I think they're like, yeah, but he lost. I'm going you know, are you going to hold that against Tom Brady that he lost? You got to the super Bowl, you got to an NBA finals, that's not a negative if you lost.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 9: If if Lebron were to win this one, would you think that would be official stamped? I think he would be like, I don't, what do you mean?
Speaker 4: Opinion?
Speaker 1: He would be the greatest player of all time. Yeah, my opinion would be it won't happen though, Brian, because people are holding onto Michael Jordan's memories for dear life. They will not allow Lebron good.
Speaker 2: They will. Wow, this is why you're an analyst.
Speaker 1: Michael is pretty good, Dan, Dan, do you want to retrack the Larry Bird Steph.
Speaker 9: Gav Right, Yeah, that's funny you said that.
Speaker 4: That's funny how you said that.
Speaker 9: I will say this to retract that, I would say, no one, no one in the NBA had three seasons like Larry Bird, So I would say the back to back to back MVPs. Can't you can argue you'll take those three seasons over anybody else in the in the in the history of the league. But longevity does matter, So I can't retract the longevity statement. I mean, like, you know Bill Walton, why don't we say Bill Waltons at all time?
Speaker 1: He's not I love him. I love Bill. That one season he had with me he was Yeah, that's one season he was amazing, he was. Longevity doesn't matter, Yes, it does in the NBA. So good luck with that Bird quote there in Boston. Thanks Dan, Thank you Famous infamous. That's Brian Scalabrini, a fellow White Mamba. Thank you, bud H. Broadcaster for the Celtics. Larry Bird was an All Star in twelve of his thirteen season. Steph has been an All Star nine of his fourteen seasons. Just a little reminder there, how about we take a break here, we're back with your phone calls after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 2: Bally Foosco here with Tony Fosco.
Speaker 9: Yo.
Speaker 1: Of course you know us as the host of the number one rated show and all the sports doc The Folly and Tony Fusco Show.
Speaker 9: Ye. If you're hearing this promo right now, it means you're listening to some other show.
Speaker 2: Well, why the hell are you doing that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Get your priority straight.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe Tony, they listened to this week's episode.
Speaker 2: Already, I don't care listen to it again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great point that, Tony.
Speaker 9: Anyway, so you're listening out there make sure and go do that and listen to the Fally and Tony Fusco Show on.
Speaker 8: The iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast.
Speaker 4: Or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Rodgers is happy, you know how. I know that.
Speaker 1: He was on the Pat McAfee show and he said he's happy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been great. I mean everything is new. It's like the first day of school.
Speaker 11: Every single day there's new people to meet and got to figure out your routine and you know where the laundry loops go, and you know, male and cleats and weight room, shoes and all the stuff. Everything's new and exciting and fun. I'm just pinching myself a lot of days, just I can't believe, you know, it's real sometimes. So it's been It's been a dream for sure, just to be here. Definitely feel energized to be in the building.
Speaker 1: Okay, everything's good. And then Sauce Gardener was sitting next to Rodgers at the next game, and sauce Gardner didn't know who Jessica Alba was.
Speaker 12: I got to meet a few a few movie stars. I got to meet Chris Rock, Dave Sappelle, Tracy Morgan.
Speaker 6: I met quite a few people.
Speaker 4: But when we were getting seated.
Speaker 12: He was just picking on me a little bit for being young, you know, Like we was getting seated and he was like, oh, we're about to sit by we about to sit by Jessica Alba.
Speaker 4: And I'm just like, oh, you know what I mean. I'm like, yeah, I don't know who that is.
Speaker 6: And he just looked at me.
Speaker 4: He looked at me like I'm crazy.
Speaker 12: That whole night he had just keep asking me out to know where He's like, do you know who that person is?
Speaker 6: And I'm like, bro, that's a mariostdam I know.
Speaker 4: Who that is. Like now, you just picking on me at this.
Speaker 2: Point, didn't know who Jessica Alba was.
Speaker 1: Well, she's in her early forties, so Sauces in his early twenties.
Speaker 2: Still no reason to not know who Jessica Alba is. We should break this down.
Speaker 8: Let's break down the numbers Dan when Dark Angel came out, when she burst on the scene, Jessica Alba in a great role. Sauce Garter was one, he was one year old two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Or two thousand.
Speaker 8: It's okay, and she has not really worked a lot in the past. That Kate, she shouldn't need to right, she's got clothing lines and product line.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think she's got a she's a billionaire at company that she has honor honest company. It does really well.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a big, big thing.
Speaker 1: By the way, I've got the DraftKings Odds, NFL Defensive and Offensive Players of the Year. So I have NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and I have the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, Marvin. I'll start with you, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Uh, these two players have the same odds.
Speaker 2: Michael Parsons.
Speaker 1: Yes, these two players have the same odds. Air Aaron Donald Aaron Donald. No, Sauce Sauce Gardner, No, he is. I know he's fifth on the list, Pauli, Miles Garrett, Miles Garrett, and Michael Parsons.
Speaker 2: Then it's t J.
Speaker 1: Wat Nick Bosa, and Sauce card NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year odds. Three quarterbacks are in here.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think B Jacques Robinson has to be in there, all right.
Speaker 6: He is.
Speaker 1: Then it's Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, C J. Stroud, Jackson Smith, the Jigbo.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: Those are your offensive rookies of the year in the NFL. A couple of phone calls in here Tom and North Carolina. Good morning, Tom, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hey, DP for taking my call?
Speaker 12: Yes, Tom, Yeah, I did have a pie of the face that I was going to take the Hurricanes versus the field if anybody wanted a piece of that.
Speaker 10: But I did think that it was my duty to call in.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see what you did. You brought it back.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the word duty a callback from hour one. Since Seaton grew up with somebody who this last name was duty, I did want.
Speaker 10: To call that Todd for losing a pile of the face bet for the Rangers and the Devils.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yeah, they were up two games to nothing.
Speaker 1: And there was three games to two, and Todd, you would you have told us that unless Tom in North Carolina called out.
Speaker 2: I probably would have kept it under my hat unless it was Brough.
Speaker 4: I thought.
Speaker 9: I thought the person that did the bet with me was going to call it the very next day.
Speaker 4: It's okay, I think it's incumbent on the person that made.
Speaker 5: The Okay, I agree, Okay, I agree. I think we make so many of them. It's on the caller.
Speaker 1: Okay, All right, maybe you'll whip up a pie here smash you today, or you want to get smashed on a Friday.
Speaker 4: What have you guys want to do?
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm asking you. You want to wait till tomorrow, you want to do it today?
Speaker 4: We can do it either way.
Speaker 2: Okay, you do it today if you want.
Speaker 1: All right, you know what, how about I surprised you surprised? Maybe it's surprise. Pie was the best. That's the best way we ever had.
Speaker 2: Price.
Speaker 1: I punished seating because he did not know when he was getting a pie it was the best. And he'd he'd just turned the corner and I'd just be like, smack, just open a door and whoa Monty in Dayton, Hey Monty, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hey? Fellaws nine long time five ten two oh five?
Speaker 6: Bad mood.
Speaker 10: About your your bad name stories?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I used I used to bartend and I had a girl come in to run a tab and apparently she got her bank card when she was seventeen years old, so after her name they embossed the words a minor after her name. So when you read her name and then it said a minor, I just started laughing at her, and she couldn't figure out why, and I said, nobody's ever pointed this out to you. She said no. I said, well, if you read your card guard, it says Nicole swallows a minor.
Speaker 8: Thank you Monty redo our screening process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a big wind up there, big wind up there. I was like, what you guys they don't get it. Yeah, I don't get it. Sometimes we get it and we don't acknowledge that we get it. There are a lot of times when we just don't get it.
Speaker 9: It'll get it.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, the first Saturday in May segue. No other day can compete the atmosphere, the excitement, the glamour, the hats, Churchill downs. The one and forty ninth running of the Kentucky Derby starts Saturday at twelve Eastern on NBC and streaming on Peacock. Final Hour coming up on this Thursday. Case you're wondering about this starting lineup, Fritzy Seaton, Marv Paulie and yours truly findal hour on the way