Speaker 1: All right, Jules, Let's get on to our first Thanksgiving guy who has plenty of Thanksgiving ties through the NFL.
Speaker 2: Let's get on to Emmitt Smith.
Speaker 1: I'm Att Smith, running back Dallas Cowboys from Pensacola, Florida. Let's see what the synopsis of I'm at Smith says.
Speaker 3: From the Great AI ladies and Ji.
Speaker 2: We need ten minutes.
Speaker 1: I'm at Smith standing at five foot nine inches and weighing two hundred and twenty one pounds. That's a big boy for five mins.
Speaker 3: Gee, oh Molly, what are you? You're five to ten? What playing weight? Man?
Speaker 2: I was big, though I was thick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was even thicker, two set thick.
Speaker 1: He played running back in the NFL, primarily for the Dallas Cowboys and later for the Arizona Cardinals. Drafted seventeenth overall by the Cowboys in nineteen ninety from the University of Florida, Smith quickly established himself as a durable, high caliber player, known for his resilience and agility on the field. He retired as an NFL's all time leading rusher with eighteen three hundred and fifty five rushing yards, one hundred sixty four touchdowns, and earning three Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Rings, all with the Dallas.
Speaker 1: Cowboys, an MVP Award, and an induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Was he first ballot? First ballot? Was he was? He first ballot? For sure? He was one hundred have been. And here's a quick fun fact.
Speaker 1: How am its pregame ritual included eating two packs of peanuts M and m's, making him one of the most efficient candy fueled athletes ever. Man, Now, that might be the most impressive thing about his career. And I wonder if he ate those peanut m and ms on Thanksgiving Day after Thanksgiving dinner, or if he indulged into some like pumpkin pie instead, or some apple pie with some ice cream and whipped cream with a cherry on top. Or did he love those peanut m and ms that much that he wanted sacrifice even on Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 4: I think it was probably became a superstition thing early on. I mean running backs in their candy. You got Marshawn with Skittles, you got Emmitt Smith with Peter and M and ms. I mean, it is what it is. These guys are sometimes like most of the time, the running backs specimen that just needs fuel and they could eat anything they want because they running and getting blown up all day and they're touching the ball a lot. What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of Emmitt Smith, one of.
Speaker 1: The greatest running backs of all time, exemplified what being a star really meant, especially being on the Dallas Cowboys, like he was that star symbol when he was playing with Dallas.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is that is true.
Speaker 1: Jarry Jones did say that, but he really did exemplify it that much. He exemplified what being a running back truly meant. They truly ran the ball and ran it with you know, conviction, with resilience. And also he's like one of the first guys to truly start that era of everyone wanting to be a running back growing up. Here's the thing, no one really wants to be running back anymore. It's it's twenty twenties and it's all about being a wide receiver, quarterback, tight end it. Back in the day when it was Amitt Smith, everyone wanted them want to be running back, everyone of myself, and I knew I wasn't a running back.
Speaker 4: I mean, Emma Smith is huge. When I think of Emmt Smith. I just think I think of the Cowboys, and I didn't like them. I didn't like them, but you were so damn good. I was a forty ninety nine Ers fan oka and this was prime in like when I was watching football in the nineties, and they were just so good. Him the triplets, Him, Aikman and Michael Irvin, and it just seemed like that often he would low you to sleep behind that offensive line. He'd get lost behind the line, and I just hated him because he'd always beat us in Candlestick.
Speaker 3: It didn't matter.
Speaker 4: Cowboys were always beating us except for ninety five peanut epin MS. Did you have any superstitions before games or what What was your pregame food.
Speaker 3: I had a pregame ritual.
Speaker 2: I can't remember you just eating hella pasta.
Speaker 1: I did eat helapasta, but there was also the peanut butter and jelly I made with my mom's jelly.
Speaker 3: That was always a routine.
Speaker 1: If I had to do every single Sunday to get me prepared and get me you know mentally right that I was on the right track and kept the tradition going of always having a pp and j with my mom's homemade jelly and then on top of it a chocolate milk. Man, I love chocolate milk to this day, and I just felt like, you know, getting that protein in my system and the carbs.
Speaker 3: What better way to make.
Speaker 1: The tradition sustainable with my mom's homemade jelly. I'm telling you, the best jelly in the game.
Speaker 2: Did you hear that?
Speaker 4: Going around uncrustables in the NFL, there's like seven thousand. I heard PMT and the boys talking about it. It's crazy because peanut butter and jelly's always been like the athlete snack. Like you need a little quick calorie burned down. You need some calories, a cup of protein, some sugar, some bread, a little fuel. Right before you get a PB ANDJ throw a little honey on there for a little little NOAs a little extra sugar. That's what I would do as a kid. What jumps out when you watch Emmy Smith's tape.
Speaker 1: I mean he was a solid receiving back as well as being a great runner. I mean he has a strong upper body. You've seen defensive lineman bounce off of him like he can go into a hole and it looks like he's surrounded by five players, and all of a sudden, he just has that killer stutter step with the backstep propeller, and then he's out of that freaking like pile of dudes and he's running to the outside now. And then he's kind of like a rabbit out there, like all these dogs are chasing this rabbit, and none of these dogs can get the rabbit. The rabbits just playing games like silly rabbit. He's just you know, eating the carrot while he's running around everybody. But that's what made him so special too, man, Like no one can get to him. And that that upper body strength, along with his ability and his footwork, just his versattility is what truly made him that special and so hard to take down.
Speaker 2: What do you say, who you who do you hate going against? What kind of defensive ends?
Speaker 3: Well, shorter Shorter.
Speaker 2: Stocking is Emm Smith.
Speaker 3: He's a bowling ball.
Speaker 2: He's just got built in pad level man.
Speaker 3: Yea, almost, that is what it is.
Speaker 4: You'd watch him get behind the offensive line. It seemed like their offensive line was fucking gigantic, and like he would sit there and be patient and then he'd have the quickness to jump, cut and then hit the fucking hole, make someone missing the second level. He always had long runs. And that's what like I always think of Emmitt Smith, just little little patiot runner, pay shiot runner, play behind his pads, low see the hole, hit it and go, and like man did he he did it better than a lot of people. He was the best running back when he retired. He had all the numbers.
Speaker 2: I remember that. What did you think about when he went to Arizona?
Speaker 3: You remember, I.
Speaker 1: Don't really remember too much when he went to Arizona because he exemplified being a cowboy, you know so much. He has insane records, that's for sure. He has the most career rushing yards with over eighteen thousand yards rushing. He has the most career rushing touchdowns at one hundred and sixteen. Was that beat now he did at that time?
Speaker 3: Is that beat touchdowns?
Speaker 1: The players that have more than one hundred six four career touchdowns but not not rushing touchdowns.
Speaker 3: And he has the most the most.
Speaker 1: Career rushing attempts as well, with over forty four hundred two.
Speaker 4: Man, that's what's almost even more impressive, because what's the what's the number right now that everyone talks about running back has about four hundred carries and then they get hurt.
Speaker 2: That's ten four hundred.
Speaker 3: Carries, thirty six fumbles on.
Speaker 4: On touching the ball forty four hundred times. That's insane.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: He didn't have like the wow speed, he didn't have the wow like stiff arm, but he was always just always productive.
Speaker 3: He had the wow lateral cuts he had.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but when you think of lateral cuts in this generation, who do you think of one of the guys that we'll be talking about a little later.
Speaker 2: Oh whoa, we'll bleep that.
Speaker 3: We'll bleep that, well, bleep it.
Speaker 2: How about the Emmett Smith game, Oh man.
Speaker 1: When he you know, popped out his shoulder and his shoulder going while he went in the locker room for like what a minute or so, went to the sidelines wherever he went. He just came back out and play the rest of the game and had like what fifteen plus carries.
Speaker 4: Against the Giants. Do you ever remember playing someone banged up and having a ball out like that? Like I was banged up, you were banged up.
Speaker 1: I mean I never had it to the level of I'm at Smith where he could barely even move his shoulder and every time he found he was practically screaming on the ground, but he just kept going going and telling himself that he's not in pain.
Speaker 3: That's a football player right there. Man got shot up, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I think he definitely got light of kin right up in the shoulder. He put that needle right direct injected right.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but if you watch the game, you could tell man, he's in pain a little something.
Speaker 2: I've done it. I've shot up that shoulder a thousand times.
Speaker 3: But you can still feel it. But it just takes the edge off.
Speaker 2: You know, it's kind of numb, but then like you'll feel cracky and stuff. You're like, what the fuck?
Speaker 3: I mean?
Speaker 1: I can recall, you know, the AFC Championship game. It was not like I'm at Smith's story, but I went up to see him. It was versus Baltimore Ravens. It was my second year in the league. I was having that wonderful year and I caught the ball on the Bernard Pollard. It was kind of a hip draft tackle, and I swear like ninety percent of the time on hip drop tackles, the player does get injured.
Speaker 3: That's getting tackled.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're just not properly made to fall down that way with someone falling on top of you. If you're falling backwards and someone's on top of you, no problem. But your body is not made for someone to fall on top of you when you're landing on your stomach or on your chest. And that's what happened. Got tackled, he landed on my ankle. It twisted and I had a you know, super high ankle sprain, went in the locker room, got it taped up, and literally I had the same mindset, Hey, I'm not in pain. This is the AFC Championship Game. I may never be back. If we win this game, We're going to the fricking super Bowl. That's what you know, you're just dreamed of as a kid. So I had to go back, and I'm telling you that shit or I took it wasn't lyto kine.
Speaker 3: It was the tour it all shot, you know, right there on the spot.
Speaker 1: I don't think it really did much because you know, a high ankle sprain and you're in a lot of pain.
Speaker 3: I mean I went out there, I was limping a little bit.
Speaker 1: No more catches, BT, some serious blocks to get to the Super Bowl. That Yeah, what was the craziest injury you ever played through in a game?
Speaker 2: That crazy snowstorm game first verse.
Speaker 3: Ten, when you guys want fifty nine to nothing. Yeah, I was still at the University of Arizona.
Speaker 2: I was in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 4: I got to play a bunch being a slapstick slaptick back. Then cut a ball and Vanderbosch fell on me and I broke my arm. I snapped my forearm and I look over to Ivan Fears the sideline.
Speaker 2: I go, Coach, I think I'm hurt. He goes, stay in. We ain't gotta know whatever was out.
Speaker 3: A football coach.
Speaker 4: I'm like, all right, all right, And then freaking Hoyer threw me the ball Like the next drive, I caught a ball with a broken arm.
Speaker 2: It was fucking crazy. And I come off and I'm like, chatty, I think I broke my arm.
Speaker 4: Dude like he's like, oh well, I think everyone's kind out right now. I'm like, yeah, all right, whatever, let's do it. And so play with the broken arm.
Speaker 1: That suck, bro I mean, it's bad, and then it's bad asked to play through an injury, but it does suck.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I heard it suck heard like that mother effort. It's part of the game. The guys, the greatest players like EMMITTT. Smith for this situation, when they're banged up, they find a way to be productive and they adjust their game to the deficiencies with their injury, and they still go out and ball. That's what makes a great player. Well, Emmy Smith was a fucking guy that did that with the shoulder game.
Speaker 1: What about his most all time rushing yards on Thanksgiving Day as well, with over eleven hundred.
Speaker 2: Yards I mean Turkey Day.
Speaker 1: He owned the most rushing tds on Thanksgiving thirteen Jesus. His best Thanksgiving was about twenty nine carries, one hundred and fifty five yards and three touchdowns in nineteen ninety six. He's a three time Super Bowl champion with the Dallas Cowboys, and he helps secure back to back Super Bowls and they were both blowout wins versus my hometown, the Buffalo Bills. People still talk about those losses. How the Bills went to the Super Bowl. I think four years in a row. Was it three or four years or I was only one years old, two years old, three years old, four years old. But it still hurts the city of Buffalo that Emmett Smith put that big of a pounding on them, And a huge shout out to Jimmy Johnson, Michael Irving on the team. I mean, what a solid team they had, man and Troy Aikman was he the quarterback? That's the team right there, the triplets.
Speaker 4: Now what do you think of the Lions and the Cowboys always playing on Thanksgiving?
Speaker 1: I mean, I love how those teams are the tradition. I mean, obviously the Cowboys, they are America's team. They draw the most represents the Thanksgiving. You need the Dallas Cowboys on TV. The Detroit Lions, they became so bad at one point that it really.
Speaker 2: Was like their super Bowl. Yeah, yeah, it was their super Bowl because that was like their only primetime game for a long time.
Speaker 1: At one time, they were like, oh fifteen, only sixteen the league. They were winning two three games. At the time, it rarely wasn't important that Detroit was playing on Thanksgiving. It might have been important for the city, but it was important to of America that the Dallas Cowboys were playing on Thanksgiving. But now it's just as important when the Detroit Lions. Everyone loves Detroit, right, now they're kind of becoming like America's up and coming team, America up and of of the middle upper.
Speaker 2: Midwest they call Midwest. They call it the Midwest, you know upper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've always bordering the Canada actually always Canada's team.
Speaker 4: Actually, well technically Detroit is the only city where Canada is south of it. Emmy Smith always He's also known for his his game day fits.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, pullovers, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's that's what he's endorsed by now pullover diapers.
Speaker 1: Depends, right, yeah, because he's always dependable in Dallas.
Speaker 3: He's always dependable.
Speaker 1: Now he's representing depends adult diapers because you can depend on EMMITTT.
Speaker 3: Smith. That take a dump.
Speaker 1: On the other opposing team defense, Yes, on the defense.
Speaker 2: It's pretty crazy.
Speaker 4: He did that whole polka doont like overall outfit back in the day when guys would always wear a suit and tie. Like to think about it now, like that's how everyone dresses now, everyone dresses like it's a fucking runway before the game to get your shot, to show that you're cool, your.
Speaker 2: Style this, you're that. And Emma Smith was like a pioneer in that. Look at that fucking outfit. That's kind of fire. Would you wear that, Rob if it was Halloween? What was your game day? What was your game day outfit?
Speaker 3: My game day outfit? Man?
Speaker 1: You know me, I was a shortened T shirt guy. Every single week that was all free T shirt, free shorts, free sandals. I was showing up every game like.
Speaker 4: That guy wore Jordan sandals nine years that I've known him, the same pair in the locker room. That's what he roll up in, just like this. He look exactly how he was dressed right now, just like this, because this is all free stuff.
Speaker 2: And he'd roll up in the game. He roll up in the game that you'd see him.
Speaker 4: You see him in the cafeteria, grab some food, grab a couple of PV and jays, and I'm good.
Speaker 3: And then he's good, just thankful for it. Just the basics, Jules.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've I think I've come across Emmett at a like a banquet or a function or a charity event or some event. Emmy Smith just looks like happy and cool and rich anytime I see him. He's got a great smile, he has an age. He looks exactly the same as he did in high school. I don't think he's got the hair anymore, but salt and pepper beer. I mean, I guy could cut a rug too. Emmitt Smith actually won Dancing with the Stars. Does Dola win Dancing with Stars? Like Emma Smith?
Speaker 2: Right now, this is after Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 3: Did Danny win? Wait, this is after we don't know if Danny went, but.
Speaker 4: Right now we can imaginary think that like if he if he wins, and you say he won right now, then we'll look like genius, says But if we say he didn't he won and he didn't win, then we'll look like morons.
Speaker 3: I think Danny is gonna win Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 2: You think, no, he won?
Speaker 3: Da Dan, Danny won Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 2: Fucking let's go Dola shout out time. What kind of dude is Emmitt Smith?
Speaker 4: I would say on three one two three, DoD.
Speaker 3: I mean he was relentless man.
Speaker 1: I mean like dogs, dogs get hurt and they don't care one bit, They just keep on going.
Speaker 3: I mimm Smith just kept going.
Speaker 2: He's a crazy stud.
Speaker 4: Because you think about it, when you think of that generation, like when I think a dog, I think of someone who like he won every year.
Speaker 2: He didn't have to have to be a dog like he was the pedigree. Everyone knew.
Speaker 4: He was the guy, one of the faces of the Dallas Cowboys, which was America's team. He had the pedigree. He went on Dancing with the Stars. He won Dancing with the Stars. You're telling me, dogs go out there and win some Dancing with the stars.
Speaker 1: No, dogs don't go out and went Dancing with the stars. Studs do dogs go out there and Dancing with the Stars and lose the first round because they're just so happy to be there and they're just roughing around and they can't figure out what to do because they do they do it at one hundred miles per hour and going out there and just being so careless and running over everything in sight.
Speaker 2: Motivated to win, but yeah, how to do it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So then I just talked to you. I talked to you and talked me into it. You all sees a stud stud stamp it
Speaker 1: M