Speaker 1: I had two workwives in my career, Julian and the Cordy.
Speaker 2: Who's the main Who was the mainstay?
Speaker 3: It was Julian was a primary work. You tell McCurdy he the side piece. Okay, he's a side piece.
Speaker 2: Today we have an unbelievably special guest, tend time pro bowler, sixteen year veteran, the greatest special teamer of all time, Matthew Slater, who we are looking at Super Bowl fifty three Patriots burst the rims and.
Speaker 1: This was a special teams battle. Fifteen total punts and then the bonus. My guy was the MVP. You What made you great was that you were so ultra competitive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was told, Yeah, a lot of guys probably didn't like me, but you respected me. There's no doubt after this game, would you start to field in the Steve.
Speaker 1: Was fallowing down with the ship. That was a moo where you went down with the ship. I was like one of those violin players on the Titanic.
Speaker 2: I was one of the lifeboat workers that had to go down with the lifeboat but still live.
Speaker 1: Fully.
Speaker 2: Games with Names is presented by Win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor and is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome to Games with Names, presented by Win Las Vegas and on Core Boston Harbor. Today's episode is Super Bowl fifty three, the Rams versus the Patriots with Matthew Slater the captain. We talk all funny, all funny, real funny, locker room stuff, roommates stuff, Who hated me the most in the Patriots locker room answer?
Speaker 4: It was not the answer I was expected. It does make It makes a lot of sense when you think about it.
Speaker 1: You gotta think about it.
Speaker 2: You gotta think about it, and our thoughts on the end of the dynasty and which character Matthew Slater was in Titanic the movie when the boat sunk.
Speaker 5: And then we'll.
Speaker 2: Wrap it up by hitting the old hotline and again that number is four two four two nine one two two nine zero. Let's start it off, Let's go. Games with Names is brought to you by Win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor. Win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor are the ultimate destinations for sports lovers. Enjoy the sports book, play golf, eat at a great restaurant, and stay in luxury accommodations. Sign up for Win rewards and redeem for resort credit. Let's go.
Speaker 6: February third, nineteen, Mercedes Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia.
Speaker 1: Star study defense, high flying offense, the old guard versus the needle.
Speaker 6: But this low scoring affair will come down to special teams. This is Super Bowl fifty three.
Speaker 1: First eight.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Welcome to games with names presented by Win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor. Today we have an unbelievably special guest. Not just a what thirteen time team captain, ten time pro bowler, We got a three time Super Bowl champion sixteen do we play sixteen s late?
Speaker 1: Sohow fulham for sixteen, sixteen year veteran Probably not probably is going to go down as the greatest special teamer of all time.
Speaker 2: Matthew Slater and even crazier my my former roommate for three years. Matthew, welcome to games with me.
Speaker 1: It's great to be here. Is this is awesome. We come a long way from that twenty eight pacing road there in Foxborough.
Speaker 2: We've come a long way.
Speaker 1: Long way.
Speaker 2: I've got Jack and Kyler here. Old Jackie's been he's been all excited about this, and Kyler has literally been practicing his past sets in the kitchen because of your father.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 5: I gotta say welcome back to Slate. This is a little piece of trivia. Our first ever guest on Games with Names an unreleased the unreleased episode.
Speaker 1: I remember that it was our test, our test episode.
Speaker 5: Yes, pilot, the pilot, pilot episode. It was pilot.
Speaker 2: Now we got the real deal.
Speaker 1: I love to see how well the show is doing. No surprise, though, no surprise.
Speaker 2: It's coming along, Slate.
Speaker 1: It's doing great.
Speaker 2: It's better.
Speaker 5: Now we got you doing great.
Speaker 1: No, they got you.
Speaker 2: Get here. Today we are looking at Super Bowl fifty three Patriots versus the Rams. Why'd you pick this game?
Speaker 1: Slate? Well, two reasons I picked this game. Number One, this was a special team's battle fifteen total punts, so for someone like me, I really enjoyed it. Secondly, playing against the Rams, my childhood team, my dad's team, twenty years as a Ram, so this was special for our family. And then the bonus third reason, my guy was the MVP. Yeah, and I mean you know that was you know I was never gonna win a Super Bowl MVP. The next closest thing would be you winning it. What a special memory. This was a great game. Look forward to talking about it. Funny story about that.
Speaker 2: Me and Bill we were going out, we were doing some stuff for the MVP coach stuff and he looks at me, Shit, I would have gave it to Slate. Literally, he literally said, no, Slater was the MVP.
Speaker 1: No, no, my god, would you have ten for one? Thirty one?
Speaker 2: I don't know what forty one something like that.
Speaker 1: He knows what it was.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know Slate.
Speaker 5: Anyways, you kept I was ten yards olf.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I just remember, you know, it was a struggle for us offensively that game, and you really kept us going. You kept us you know, we had some momentum, you had some big conversions when we needed it, and it felt like every time we needed to play, you made the play. And uh, I was just riding with you from the bench. Yeah right, man, and I was like, yeah, get open, you know. And and that that team was a really good team, that ram team, A keeping those guys obviously Aaron Donald. Their defense was I thought one of the best in the league at the time. So for you to do what you did was was really special.
Speaker 2: We'll get into the game and Wade Phillips and you know, our revenge that we had to have on him. Because of that, you know Denver matchup we had in fifteen, we were pretty much a depleted weaponry group. So but we'll get into that. What's life looking like as a retired athlete Now.
Speaker 1: It's different, as you know, Look, I've been playing football since I was thirteen, and we always had that path forward, like all right, we're working towards something. There's a ton of structure we could tell people no matter what month it was, Hey, I'm going to be doing this in March or this in April and May, and now it's just kind of like that structure has been pulled away and it's challenging. So you know, we're navigating that. But what I love most is the family time. You know, with four young kids at home, it allows me to be there and to be present and to be a dad, be a husband. So I'm really enjoying that.
Speaker 2: But people don't realize when you retire as a professional athlete, especially a professional athlete that played a long time like you. You know, athletes are creatures, a habit, you know, and we're all used to on Thursday getting that red schedule, this red schedule that told out our life by the hour where we had to be what we had to do. And and a lot of guys get in trouble and that's pulled away from him because they don't have the routine given to them. So for a lot of the athletes that are retiring, what I've learned through my experience is I was such a routine guy that I had to create my routine. You got to create a routine because you need you need to have something that you've been doing for such a long time. Now you know, the routine is gonna be different. Where you're gonna be picking up kids, you're gonna have to find your time to get a workout, you're gonna do whatever meetings you got going. But you know, it's it's a struggle for you know, athletes in this in this time. But with a guy like Matthew, he's the he's literally the model of how to be a professional athlete. And whatever you jump into, I'm gonna try to make you. You know, I'm gonna try to sell you on doing your own podcast. We gotta get you going here. But whatever you're gonna do, you're gonna be at the highest level of that and no one's ever gonna worry about you.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate that, but you know, like you said, I mean that structure and that routine is something that I've had in place since I was a child, all of us, like you're saying, and just not having that is I'm having to create and find a way to create a routine and to have some continuity. You know. I almost feel like as football players were kind of like soldiers, right we get a command and we go execute it, and we thrived doing that, especially playing for coach. So I'm trying to find a new commander. Maybe it's my wife, maybe it's my future loss that full right now, it's definitely my wife. Fully, she's definitely given the martian orders and I'm just trying to execute it. So it's you know, it's a process. That transition is the process.
Speaker 2: Who's the wildest person to hit you up since the retirement?
Speaker 1: Oh man, Well, there there have been a lot, and I certainly appreciate hearing from all the guys that we played with, you know, I think that's what means the most, is hearing from the guys. You know, some of my dad's old teammates that saw me as a young pup and really kind of raised me with him in the game of football, and then obviously like talking to coach and having dialogue with Coach about you know, the time that we spent together. Super thankful to have had the experience with him. It was a special time that we were part of. So thankful for everybody that's reached out and shown support, and it makes you feel like you had somewhat of an impact on people's lives, not just football wise.
Speaker 2: So did you have that conversation with Bill before the season or was he still around when he had Did you have the conversation because I remember my conversation.
Speaker 1: With Bill builds out the most sentimental guy, So I wasn't gonna go try to, you know, strum at the sentimental chords. But I did mention him before our last game that you know, I thought this would be it, and you know, I just thanked him for everything, and I hope he knows how much I appreciate everything that he's done for me. You know, his focus was just on going out there and beating the Jets, So I didn't want to get to too emotional or sentimental, but I appreciate Coach. You know, him and I had a great relationship, and you know, I appreciate everything he's done for me.
Speaker 2: Did you not instantly feel a switch flip when you when he when he knew that you were going to retire, he became kind of a I remember when I told him that I was retiring. I was expecting like, look like you know this that it was more of he was like nourishing with it, right, you know, which a lot of people wouldn't, you know, think that. So she was a group of guys that have been in the system for a while, you know, like you felt like he was gonna do everything to help you for the process.
Speaker 1: That's what I helped you absolutely, you know, and Coach you know, look there there's always a part of me that was a little bit intimidated, you know, when it came to coach because he's such a strong figure and he was so demanding as a coach. But there were moments that he would surprise me all the time with how supportive he was or thoughtful he was about different things. And I don't think that gets talked about enough. And certainly, you know, I've seen both sides of it, but you know, he was very supportive of me this year. I think he knew without us talking about it beforehand, that it was it was coming. Towards the end, we had some conversations about things moving forward in the future and what they look like without me there, and then certainly at the end there he was very supportive, expressed his gratitude to myself, my dad. Him and my dad were talking after the last game in the dining hall, and I was like, you know, they're my two football like icons right there, two football dad's. Yeah, essentially my two football followers. You know. There was that that shift that you're talking about, and I certainly appreciated like being on the other side of that, you know now as a former player.
Speaker 2: So yeah, speaking of both sides. You've been watching the Dynasty.
Speaker 1: I haven't now now. You know, it's interesting this Dynasty. You know, I caught up on the episodes, and I'm not sure how I feel about everything. I mean, it's tough, you know. I know there's some times some comments that I made on there that that made it seem like Bill was just this like very demanding presence, and he was. But I also want people to see there like they're multiple sides of Bill, right, And you know it's tough because I feel like he's being portrayed in a certain light and you know that, you know, we're painting a picture, but we're only showing people part of the picture. With coach, it's very complex and there are things that you know, we're tough, and I'm sure we all feel like, hey, maybe we wish we had done things this way, but let's make sure none of us forget the fact that the dynasty is not even being talked about without Bill Belichick. And the things that he did were with intentionality and purpose, and I think he got the best out of all of us.
Speaker 2: I don't know, this whole thing is it's a little crazy. I mean, have you has anyone what you praise?
Speaker 4: Bill didn't kill the people that Aaron hands did?
Speaker 2: I mean, what do you mean?
Speaker 4: Did you not see that? In the dog? It was like his falls bullshit?
Speaker 2: I mean you said it, Kyler.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm here.
Speaker 2: I got no comments, man, I mean, I think he held his hand.
Speaker 1: I got, I got no comment. I mean it's tough. I mean, I don't know what. I'm curious to hear what you think about his portrayal, and then just the work in general. I mean, look, it's it's always hard or to tell a story as complex as the one we lived in you know, ten episodes, right, there's just so many more things that took place that give context to what really happened.
Speaker 2: So I honestly think, if you're in your thirties and you've played football, I don't think you ever liked your football coach. You loved them, but you didn't like your football coach, just like I didn't like my parents when they made me do things that they knew or was gonna make me a better person. I didn't like doing it right. We didn't like doing it works not easy, you know, doing the little shit for preparation, doing walkthroughs, for walk throughs, for walkthroughs. I hated it. I bitched about it all the time. But we needed it right, you know. And that's why you went into every single game knowing you outprepared that team and you had a shot to win every single game. It just came down to execution, you know, And usually because of how we practiced, how hard we practiced, how much we practiced, how many reps we got. Mentally, you know, we executed at high, high, high level in those crucial situations.
Speaker 1: No question. And to your point, you know, maybe maybe there were times that many of us didn't like Coach, but we always loved and respected him. There was no question about that. We always knew that he was pushing us to be the best version of ourselves like our parents would.
Speaker 2: And well, well, well gear hear out here saying like with Aaron Hernandez got away with murder like and I figured speaking about like at practice, that's not even true. Welger painted the picture like he got he was like the king, like you got to do anything. I remember Bill, motherfucking Aaron all the time. Come on, well, try and make up story. We know you don't like Bill Wes.
Speaker 1: I ain't even say that.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: Just sit my water here, man, my water West.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, you know, all, I love you. You know I love him too. But you could clearly tell that he hates Bill. What was up with the Chris interview Chris Long interview last week?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you want to talk about that? Yeah? Can we play that back somewhere, you know, because my man, I just want I just want the people to know. And I'm glad that I'm glad that you brought this up, and I'm glad that Dola let you, you know, borrow his hat there, because, yeah, we used to have this conversation, Who's Batman, who's Robin? And you know, you know, football aside. I'm not getting into the Batman Robin conversation.
Speaker 2: That's what it's about. It's about it was.
Speaker 1: About more than football. It was about football, but it was also about off the field appeal. Joel lines, handsomeness, charisma, got that riz, you know, and it was very clear to me that Dola had the edge. And I don't know what you want me to say. What do you want me to tell you?
Speaker 2: I don't know what do you think? Is what you think? Batman doesn't say he's Batman.
Speaker 1: He doesn't. You're right, he doesn't tell exactly. I'm just exactly right. You know, I'm gonna stand by that. We're here, I'm gonna have to stand by Dola. Come show him how it's done. Robin's here, he's got your gear on. Go get that.
Speaker 2: I mean, we see, we see Dola in the hot tub over here giving the bottle looks and stuff.
Speaker 1: Wasn't Dola with an agency? Wasn't he wasn't he with a modeling agency modeling? You were you with Ford Modeling? Now, okay, there wasn't trying to be Now, Dolan didn't have the let didn't have Super Bowl MVP. Dola didn't have you know, these postseason records. Dolan didn't have the we got six hundred plus catches. Care don't would enamdled that. So you know, the edge is clearly you know Edel's on that, you know, but everything else, Dole's got a strong case.
Speaker 2: There's a difference between being Bruce Wayne and Batman. That difference Bruce Wayne out in the public is Bruce Wayne fair enough behind the dark showering the dark Knight has to come out.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can live with that. I used to love those meetings though. When Chris brought that up, I just thought about how we would be sitting in those meetings and it would be o'shae. Dola was down in front of us, and it was you and I. Half the time, Dola would be drawn some photos yea tongue out, We'd be drawn pictures of O'Shane and you. In practice. But I mean that was a great time. I was a special time and we had a special room with guys who really cared and loved each other and loved the game, loved the process. And you know, it's no surprise to me in hindsight that we had the success that we did because we good people.
Speaker 2: I one hundred percent agree, And I loved what you said over on green Light talking about Chatt e O and Ivan. You know the unsung hero coaches. Yeah, we all know of the Scarnack yos and and coach Belichack. But uh, you know Chad o'sha. Like you said, I had.
Speaker 1: To deal you know, up and down, up and down roller coaster. And you know what Chad was. His demeanor was fantastic, right, Like he had the perfect demeanor to deal with guys like you, Guys like Wes, guys like Randy, you know, like it was he was here, he was level. And what made you great was that you were so ultra competitive. And you know, we're all crazy in our own way. We played football for most of our lives, like we're all tapped, but it was that controlled tapped, shall we say, that allows you to be successful because when the game was on the line or was a highly competitive situation, you always answered the bell and You brought out the best in everyone, and Chad knew that. He understood that, and he was the perfect coach in my opinion, for you. You know, as you ascended into the player that you became.
Speaker 2: Now, do you ever recall a time where me and Chadman was fined?
Speaker 1: I wasn't gonna bring that up for the kind audience out there who loves Julian Edelman, but there were several times where where you and Chad almost fought. And you know, for the people that don't know out there, we called the Edelment helmet toss. Now you know, many you guys have thrown their helmet, but practice, you used to slam your helmet with consistency at least once a week. And I'm talking about jaw pads flying because we're old enough where there were still jaw pads, jaw pads flying, stuff flying, And you're yelling the first guy. You'd yelling because you can't yell at Tom. You gonna yell at your teammates, yell. You're yell at Chat. You ain't yelling at Bill, You're yelling at Chad. And you'd be yelling at Chad. And some days Chad was just taking a stride. But then you know, other day it's Chad. You know, Chad was like, no, I'm not having that. So then you and Chad are over there going at it, yelling at each other. And I used to just sit over there and laughing myself because I was like these two because I knew you guys obviously cared about each other so much, but there was just so much passion and intensity and the practice was flat.
Speaker 2: If practice was flat, you knew that Edelman had toss was coming right. I was fucking breaking the goddamn helmet, just these young bucks none.
Speaker 1: And you know what, though, I will say this, I had a greater appreciation for that after you retired than I did while you were playing, because I realized that what you did increase the urgency and accountability amongst the guys. It brought an edge to our group, and we were missing that edge once you left. We were missing it and we really never replaced it, you know, in terms of a guy that would come out there really getting guys faces, but hold guy's accountable to a standard. We didn't have that, and that was a big part of what you did. And I think you know that's something that you can't measure. It's not a stat it's not this. But it made our team a championship caliber team.
Speaker 2: But that's something that we all felt when you were first introduced to the Patriots. Yeah, absolutely, you felt Teddy Brewski, Kevin Falk. You felt their eyes, You heard their comments trying to embarrass you with your effort, or with your lack of knowledge or your lack of studying, or your lack of preparation to embarrass you in front of everyone, because a they were never going to be unprepared, be they were working their dicks off and they were already in their ten, thirteen, fourteen, fifteenth year right, you know, So it made you bring your level up and then you know, then you know the cycle of guys. You become one of the the guys that was I was there, You were there, we were there for eight seven years. Then it becomes your turn to hold people accountable because Tom couldn't always hold people accountable because if Tom got on someone, he gets on a younger receiver, they're gonna put their tail between their legs, right, and they're gonna probably tank for the rest to practice. So it was like my job to motherfuck people for Tom because if Tom did, guys they couldn't handle it because they grew up watching this Guys half of them weren't even born when he first got in the league, you know what I mean. So it was like one of those things where, yeah, I was an asshole. Yeah, a lot of guys probably didn't like me, but you respected me, no doubt, because I was there before you, and I still let it last year. I was there before you, and I was leaving after you.
Speaker 8: And everybody need that quick question just because we've seen Jeels, we've hung out with him forever.
Speaker 4: We know him from one side.
Speaker 8: Who didn't like him the most in the locker room, because I'm sure.
Speaker 1: There was plenty, get well, it just depended on the day. I mean, they're they're all. You know. Him and I were good for at least two or three blow ups a year. Oh so where would come up?
Speaker 2: Where did we almost fight?
Speaker 1: We almost fought in Oakland. He was a deep returner. I was a short returner. The ball gets kicked, I'm in my hometown, nine yards deep in the end zone. I give him the double hand stop, he brings it out. He brings it out. Of course, he gets blown up inside the twenty. So then I look at him and I said, yo, I gave you the double lamp stop. I said, if you do that again, I'm not blocking for you. And I'm telling everybody up they're not the block for you. Then he goes f you, you're supposed to be the captain. That ain't no leadership, That ain't no captain. So we're over there getting ready to fight. Put you know, coach are pulling us apart, guys are looking at us. So you know you asked that question. Some days it might have been me, okay, other days it might have been Tom, which I would love. By the way, Julian was the only guy that could really give it to Tom, right, Like you know, we all kind of wanted to give it to Tom. Sometimes he did some goofy. We're like, it's Tom. I can't say that this guy will be out there getting on Tom killed him in front of the guys and we're all like trying to muffle our laughs. But you could tell Tom, like, you know, he was flustered. He was flustered. So it would just depend on the day. I mean, I'm sure at any point in time you get asked all fifty three guys on the ross fifty two guys and they would say they hated right, you know, him and Gilmore and fighting and training camp, you know, pulling a dread out doing all this, but again pulled his dread off.
Speaker 2: And I remember, it's part of the jersey, It's part of the jersey. I pulled his dread off. I walked back to the locker room with.
Speaker 1: Outrageous Right, what are we doing pulling man's dread out. But I'll say this, if you go back and you talk to all those guys that play with Julian, they'll all tell you they respected them, right, They'll all tell you. They'll all tell you he made us better and he brought an edge store football team. So and to your point, like we were afraid of, like letting our peers down and being embarrassed in front of our peers. And you know that's the difference, Like, you know, this next generation, the way they view history and the way they view like veterans in the league is slightly different than the way we came up. Like you know, we revered Mike Rabel, Teddy Bruce Ki, Rodney Harrison, Vince Wolf, Ty Warren, Richard Seymour. I'm missing you know, dozens of guys, Troy Brown, mister Patriot. We revered these guys and we didn't want to let them down. We want to disappoint them, and we were more afraid of them than Bill at times. And I think that enabled the culture to continue to thrive and have success because one generation to the next it was like, hey, we're doing this for each other, and we got to keep up holding the standard.
Speaker 2: Some fun years, bubs, we.
Speaker 1: Had some times. Now we had some times. We won a lot of football games too, which made it, you know, extremely fun.
Speaker 2: You noticed that shift in the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: It's just different, right, And I don't want to be the old guy that pooh poo's the generation that comes after me. It's just different. And I think, you know, as leaders, you have to find ways to connect with that generation a little different. You know, they're more invested in relationship equity, emotional intelligence, and I think you have to meet them where they are there and that's fine. And I think coaches, right, coaches are having to evolve. These guys want to feel like they're partners and what's happening were for us, we would blindly take orders. We wouldn't ask questions for these guys. Maybe they need why to what they're doing. And that's not a bad thing. I mean, that's just it is what it is. And you know it's not smart of anybody to sit here and poop pooh that generation. I think you have to evolve and meet these guys where they are.
Speaker 2: Well, the generation before us is poop.
Speaker 1: They certainly were. I like that word poop poo oh.
Speaker 2: Man, I remember this just popped over my head. I don't remember. I remember what was it that there was a play on the sideline opposite sideline of our special team play and some who got who got you really mad? Where you almost swore keep Was it a key?
Speaker 1: I think it was a key. Was it in the joint practice?
Speaker 2: No, this was in a game. I remember him going, what the freak.
Speaker 1: Might have been a key? Might have been a key as well. You know, I just want to accept the ruggers straight in case of key where I love a key competitor, you know, a Hall of Fame player in my books. But he would come out there and he you know, he's trying to put his hands on me at me, pushed me out of my house late and you know we had some battles out there. He got me out of character. He definitely got me out of character.
Speaker 2: Man, keep.
Speaker 5: He was so fun in the locker room.
Speaker 1: Oh he was a great teammate. He was a great teammate. I mean, were the years wear like six change.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm only calling you oon chain dog. You only got one chain to me?
Speaker 5: He got them snatched?
Speaker 1: He got it.
Speaker 2: No, he snatched.
Speaker 5: That's right, was the reverse he snatched?
Speaker 1: He did? He did.
Speaker 4: He played for the Rems in skin he did.
Speaker 1: He Yeah, he was here. He was old though he was not a keep. I didn't say it. He said, keep keep. You know you were.
Speaker 2: I know you were.
Speaker 1: You thought you still had no you still had it. You were still smart as hell, elite thought you were still the elite.
Speaker 2: A keep with one hundred percent agree He ain't, he said he He probably would say that, like, it wasn't me. That's why he That's why we were able to do what we did.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 1: What are you getting ready to say?
Speaker 4: That's why I was m v P.
Speaker 2: That's what he would probably say. That's what he would probably say. He probably say, I wasn't in my I wasn't in my prime.
Speaker 8: Oh man, Yeah, but he had a pick six against Virginia Tech and the Orange Bowl for Kansas.
Speaker 2: He was a Monsters great player. There's the reason why we lost in thirteen because he heard his hamstring once. His hamstring was only couldn't stop nobody.
Speaker 1: He was didn't West didn't had run an illegal pick play and West like give him a hit pointer or something. I think Wes hit us with a bush league, you know, chicken wing them and.
Speaker 2: So he's just out for the patrons.
Speaker 1: West out for him should have been our title.
Speaker 2: Wes can we can we talk about roommate days?
Speaker 1: Oh, let's talk about roommate days. Those were the days. Eggnog time, eggnog, ebony and ivory together, perfect harmony. Now, you guys, good vocals over there. The odd couple that show what was that in the fifties or something? That was us? We were the odd couple. But the thing I appreciated the most, as different as Julian than I are, we always were able to find common ground. And that's why it worked. And people wonder why, like how did you guys live to the other Like, we always found common ground and we had a blast. That was fun man.
Speaker 2: Eggnog, eggnog, cookies cookie time. He get mad at me because I never take out the garden.
Speaker 1: He never took out the track. I mean, let's let's be clear. Man never took off the trash.
Speaker 2: I just I mean it was brutal speaking of speaking of roommate though, Like, so, what was it in fourteen? We just so we win the Super Bowl fourteen? Slate about to get married, like three weeks later. A week later, I had to go out and I had to do a bunch of sty I didn't go back to the house right away. I go back to the house for the parade. Slate takes communal, TV.
Speaker 1: Took the TV, took the dishes, clean out the whole bottom, Len, what do you want me to do? I mean, I'm not Look, I'm not a high flying, high paid wide receiver. I'm a kick cover guy. I need my TV, I need my dishes. I need everything that I can get my hands. At least give me like a I should have given him the heads up. I should have give him a curve came in.
Speaker 2: I called the cops. I like, get we get robbed.
Speaker 1: I should have given the super clean this out all the way needed that stuff.
Speaker 4: They were getting out of Frisbees for like months after two.
Speaker 1: All right, man, I'm sorry, paper plate, he was paper blatant. But you know what I think I think now, looking back as we sit here in this plush space here, I think my man did all right without that TV dishes, right, I think it worked out all right. By the way, that TV still hangs on the wall in my house, still the TV. Yeah, that curve, you get that curve still got it. That day I was so mad at him.
Speaker 2: In a snowstorm. I had to go to best five, got the best, get one a super Bowl. It's like, give me that curve thing.
Speaker 1: Oh man, how big is it?
Speaker 2: Gig?
Speaker 1: He got the big dog? Wait?
Speaker 5: But Slade, how did the how did the roommate situation get set up?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 5: What's the origin of two guys in Okay?
Speaker 1: First of all, you know, Julian and I had instant connection. Uh two late round draft picks, two guys from California, two kind of underdogs. So I think we all were.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 1: Don't forget you started as a come on, baby, he started as a teamer, and you know he had to grind. Nothing was given to my man. But anyways, we go out there, we played two thousand and ten and then the lockout hits. So I know my financial situation. I gotta get out of here. I gotta give up my apartment. So I moved back home, which I think you did too.
Speaker 2: I was in in Pierre's basement.
Speaker 1: You only live in Pierre War's basement, You're right. So we both gave up our living situation. And then when we came back it was like, hey, we just got to make the team. Like, I'm not thinking about where I'm living. Teams paying for me to live at this hotel. I'm standing there. We got to make the team. So when we made the team, it was like, oh, shoot, we made the team. We don't know where we're going to live, so we're scrambling. And I think Ryan Wendell had.
Speaker 2: Had because I was. I went and lived with him for a.
Speaker 1: While before in twenty ten, you lived with him, and then Ryan Wendell had this house, so Doug King, we jumped in. Doug King, by the way, making a killing off people, making a killing, just raking people. Anyways, we moved in the house.
Speaker 2: Your salary went up, your rent went up.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt. But Julian didn't let that fly though. He took care of no. He had he had to you know, negotiate. But anyways, Ryan, Julian and I were there the first year. Ryan moved out and I was like, hey, man, if you want to keep doing this, we'll keep doing this. So for another three years, so four years total we stayed in that house. At twenty eight paces saved our duccats.
Speaker 2: We had a couple, we brought a couple of couple.
Speaker 1: You know, we had Shane Vereen, We had Dela Rosa in DeRosa. I mean, we had we had some characters in the out there.
Speaker 2: That was my That was my first exposure to Shane Veren eating a Domino's pizza once a week.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, once a week and then going out there and killing it and the beauty of being young and being able to do that. But man, that was a fun time. Man, that really was. And uh, you know, we grew a lot. When we moved in, he was just Julian. By the time we left, he was you know, jay E eleven or Julian Adelman or whatever they call him nowadays. So you know, I saw the whole naturation process. It was a beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: I love that pasion, those Walls could talk.
Speaker 1: They have a lot of tails of tail a few other jokers. I think very well that lives in that house before.
Speaker 2: Bring that one.
Speaker 1: A couple of guys lived there before us.
Speaker 2: Speaking of teamers, who are who are some of the teamers that impress you right now? In the league?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man, there are there are a ton of good ones. It is really yeah, it really has. I mean I feel like every team has, you know, some really great players. George Odom for the Niners, I think is as good as I've seen over the course of my career. J T. Gray, Justin Hardy, cyarn Neal and then my guy Brendan Schooler Schooler, who I think is you know, he's got just tremendous potential to be I think one of the great players that this league has ever seen. I mean, he's that good. He's long, like he's six two, he's long, and he's strong, and then he's like legit fast, like he'll touch twenty two mill an hour. So like, this kid's got all the tools. Who is the other guy that used to our white boy Corey or no? Who what do you play?
Speaker 2: Cody?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Cody D Cody D Cody D Cody d is as.
Speaker 5: Uh, he was too he could.
Speaker 1: I mean, he looked he made he hit twenty two mile an hour and he looked like he's jogging, and you're like, man, this guy can roll. But I mean, there's so many guys that I didn't name, But I think the league is in a really great place where you go through the roster of almost every team and I can point out one or two guys that really jump out on tape and really have bought into the idea of playing in the kicking game at a high level.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, I have a ton of respect for these guys nowadays, they're they're taking the bar to you know, another level.
Speaker 2: What's the orgin story of the field goal block in Miami?
Speaker 1: Man, Well, you know how it is when you sit in the room with Joe Judge, right, you can take twenty minutes and you're on a tangent and like, hey, we should do this, and last night we were talking about this. So we get in there and you know, these guys are like, hey, we got a tail on on their operation and it's it's pretty good. It's it's pretty much one hundred percent. And I won't just close that in case they want to go back Bailey, but uh but uh, you know that we had a pretty good beat on it, and there's really one guy on the team that we trusted to do that, like that has the ability, has the length, who can ben who has the quickness and get off? And that was School, and you know, we're practicing it during the week and you know, a couple of them the timing was like, ah, that ain't it. That ain't looking good. But one of our assistants, Joe Houston, he finally got the timing and the steps with School. So when we got in the game and we needed to play, it was like, all right, we're gonna call it. And I just knew. I said, if he can get the corner, uh, untouched or at least minimal contact, he's gonna block it. And he did a great job of just bend in that corner, you know, timing it up and just you know, again he's the kids six too, he's long and and I saw it in in my pariff. I saw it. I said, before he blocked. I said, oh, he's gonna because he got through there untouched. And you know, huge play, huge, huge play, huge play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the biggest misconception of teamers.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I think a lot of people think that playing special teams is going out there, you're not thinking very much, You're just running and it's chaotic. But the reality is there's a lot of communication that occurs on the field. There's a lot of thinking on your feet, you know, a lot that changes in the middle of plays. And you know, you got the best athletes on the field, the fastest, some of the strongest, biggest guys out there playing. So you know, I think people under sell what it takes to play in the King game. You know, I hear all the time, Well, this guy's big and fast, he can play special teams, Well not necessarily. Can he think on his feet? Is he tough mentally and physically? And is he going to compete at a high level like you got to compete every snap because every snap can be the difference between winning and losing. So, you know, I think we get a bad rap sometimes. But those guys that I mentioned right now that are doing it at high levels across the league, I think are changing that.
Speaker 2: So mount rushmore special teamers.
Speaker 1: And I mean it's tough, right, I mean it's tough, But if you're gonna make any kind of Mountain Rushmore, you got to start with Steve Tasker. I mean, he's the godfather. He started us off. He really took it and elevated it to where it is today. I like Bill Bates, who played with Dallas for fifteen years and really was, you know, an all out guy. There's another guy named Elbert Shelby I think it was saying his name right, who played in Atlanta, who was a great gunner, went to four Pro Bowls. So you know, let's give him and Baits half ahead on that Mount Rushmore. And then I go current guys. I go guys that you know, maybe from our generation. Lorenzo Alexander is the guy that I love, just physical presence, relentingle, this relentless effort in the way that he played. And then Michael Thomas, who was one of our contemporaries. He was in Cincinnati last year. Really, you know, you look at the last decade and a half, you know, depending on who you asked, the top to, one of the top two guys in the league last you know, ten to fifteen years. So uh, that's why Mount rush I'm leaving off a ton of guys. I hate doing Mount rushmorees because you always leave off very like, yeah, I can't put myself on that. I you know, I tried to do my giant yes, so yeah, but yeah, there's a lot of great players out there that I have respect for.
Speaker 2: Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 1: Of R two's Julian Edelman definitely top R two in the league. You know, I don't. I don't think people appreciate how good you were in the kicking game and not just returning the ball covering. Didn't I send you a clip of you covering now this year?
Speaker 2: No, but I still remember when you were off sides in my.
Speaker 1: Time, I always got to bring that out. I was off side, he had a tackle inside the vibe, I was all kick off.
Speaker 2: That's that's very rare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's when we were young and spry. The body could move. It was a good time.
Speaker 2: Had the block PP had block. Larry Izzo, l Larry honorable.
Speaker 1: No doubt, honorable mention Mount Rushmore, no doubt. I mean, look, without Larry Izzo, I never would have had a job in New England. You know, guys like that, and you know we always talk about like the skill guys and and special teams like the gunners and the PPS. But I think guys like Nick Bloor that are out there right now and othery're like, uh, you know a Miles Kilbrew, the size guys Reeves Mavin and Detroit who made the Pro Bowl, Like, you gotta give those size guys some love too, because you know there's a big man moving down the field. Well, he was technically a size guy. Larry was listed as as two twenty. He probably was two o five. Larry were gonna, we're gonna call your gonna call you size guy. But those were fun times. Man.
Speaker 2: Now, your dad being Jackie Slater greatest right tackle of all time Hall of Famer, how often did you talk to your dad during the season, you know, yeah, about football or did you how often? Was that a lot? A lot honestly?
Speaker 1: And you know, I think when him and I would talk, it would be more, you know, how you feel in physically, where you at mentally, you know, kind of state of the team. We never really talked too much about how I was playing. He'd ask me about plays and certain things like that. But the first thing every game i'd call him on the way home, the first thing that he would say, you know, I thought the old line did this I saw this. He watched our line with an eagle eye for sixteen years. I mean he could tell you, you know, in the third quarter it was third and five, this happened with Marcus Cannon or Sebastian Volmer did this. Like he just loves interior play. I mean, that's that's who he is. He'll he'll tell you a good big man's always he's better than a good little man. And he just loves that that part of the game. So we always connected on that. We were always talking about our line and the way that you know, they were playing throughout the season. You know, we enjoyed those conversations.
Speaker 2: How old were you when your dad retired?
Speaker 1: So I was in fifth grade, so I was about ten eleven years old when my dad retired. We moved to Saint Louis for his last year. My mom did not want to go. She was like, can you just retire, And he's like, I gotta get twenty, I gotta I gotta go try to get twenty. So we moved to Saint Louis. We were there for eight months and he played. He played in one game. He was on pep. He had a ruptured his tricep and he retort and rehab, and they were like, hey, we just get you out there for one game, gets you that twenty of the years they mummied his arm up. He got out there and you know we were in and out of Saint Louis pretty quick.
Speaker 2: So how was it, you know, being did you go to all the practices and had to be pretty cool.
Speaker 1: It was a crazy experience for me as a young person, like growing up around the game. And you know, the love that I have for the game came from my dad, but you know, just to be in the locker room, to be at the practice facility, to see him training, to have his teammates come up and you know start talking to me. You know, Isaac Bruce was a guy that I really loved. He played with my dad towards the end of my dad's career, but even after my dad retired, I'd go back and watch him and Tory running routes and oh man, it was just such a neat experience to grow up around the game.
Speaker 2: So you know, I remember I got to know Jack. He's calling Big black Jack.
Speaker 5: Yes, I never do his face.
Speaker 1: No, no, just to me. We would laugh about that.
Speaker 2: We would laugh about that and I'd be like and one time we had our eggnog time and I was on IR and Slate went up to sleep, you know me and old Jack sat back down. He saw, you know, we saw that crown you know on IRE. I was like, yo, missus, slay you want. He took a little little crown. We sit in there after about two to three drinks. I got Jackie in there showing me his past sets against LT. He's over your I used to give this LT. It was the coolest experience.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 2: I remember that because my dad loved the Rams growing up, so he always talked and my dad always talked about, you know, getting to hang out with your dad at the Super Bowls. It was always so fun.
Speaker 1: It was special for our families. It really was.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go back to around February third, two thousand nineteen. This is a segment we do where we go through all the pop culture and just kind of see what was going on at this time. Number one movie Glass. Do you see that?
Speaker 1: I didn't see Glass, It's like the Jackie.
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 5: That was m Night Shyamalan. It was the crossover sequel to Unbreakable and Split, so it had Samuel Jackson, Bruce Willis, James McAvoy. It was kind of like the culmination of those two.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to go watch that one. Glass.
Speaker 5: It was all right if you like the m Night Stamlon thing.
Speaker 1: I like him.
Speaker 5: Budget of twenty million made two hundred and forty seven million. Oh there we go, pretty solid, Roy, Roy, we're box office guys.
Speaker 2: Here, box off the guys. Number one song seven Rings by Ariana Grande.
Speaker 1: Do you remember this one?
Speaker 5: This was sort of the sing song you one that sounded like rain drops on Rose. You know that one? Yeah, I want it, I got it. I like it about it that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, seven.
Speaker 1: Rings we like it around over here.
Speaker 5: Seven rings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a nice We got to get any block on the show right ALONGO.
Speaker 2: Caitlin Clark scores sixteen high school.
Speaker 1: She's killing it, still doing it. She's awesome.
Speaker 2: She's doing it back then, she's doing it now. This is just the start.
Speaker 5: Incredible. Pulled a little stat on Kaitlyn Clark here on threes in IL value rankings. Crazy that that's the thing now in college sports. Fourth highest valued college athlete three point one million, they say this year three wow.
Speaker 1: Man we'll go back as well. Undeclared for that draft.
Speaker 2: You making more.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's not gonna make that w n B A salary right now, she'd make an endorsement endorse on salary.
Speaker 2: She El Choppa was found guilty in all counts. L Choppo, we may we may have met one of his tigers.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go back to the next line. Operation Varsity Blues Hits March Winging say nothing about brother Choppo, Operation Varsity Blues Hits USC.
Speaker 5: What I mean, you're doing all that just to go to USC? All now, man, all that to go to USC, to go to USC.
Speaker 2: You don't know what this was. This is when Aunt Becky did the rowing thing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean USC's not even I mean it's not even a good school. You're doing all that to go to US. I mean, at least if you're going to u c l A. With that, it felt like, Okay, you're trying to get into the number one public school you versity in the country. I just want to number one. We passed Berkeley. Put all those bears out there, Dela ross is passed Bear Well, I mean that's what they like to say. But you know it's it's one thing when the baby comes up and rises and grows bigger than the original, and it's better. It's like two point zero. We're, you know, superior.
Speaker 5: Obviously in the sports world U c l A talk. Who is there one guy that linebacker Bruce.
Speaker 2: Bruce Davis BD. My god, whenever there was a u c l A guy, sleepy, be all happy.
Speaker 1: I love I love all my.
Speaker 5: C l A know, you know I love Bill Walton. Have you ever met Bill Walton?
Speaker 1: I've never met Bill, huge fan.
Speaker 5: Though he's my second favorite huge fan.
Speaker 2: Who's your first? Jack?
Speaker 1: All right? Jack?
Speaker 2: Jackie Patrick Mahomes m v P. This year we won the ball college football champion Clemson Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray. That was Trevor Lawrence Clemson. What's going on?
Speaker 1: My god?
Speaker 2: He needs to have a year this year. I know, big year for him.
Speaker 1: Big year, got Mac Jones now mc jones putting that pressure on him.
Speaker 2: Now that Mac Daddy. He's back in his home environment, right, I'm slinging that pill. You know, he's getting some vitamin D. So the depression is probably down.
Speaker 5: Back in his old child modeling days.
Speaker 2: NBA streaks Russell Westbrook eleven straight triple doubles that'll probably never go crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought he.
Speaker 1: Went to No, he didn't go there. He was there with me four time.
Speaker 2: You guys, he don't.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know me from Adam's house cat.
Speaker 5: But shout out Trussell, he should get to know you.
Speaker 2: James Harden streak of thirty plus point games ends at thirty two games.
Speaker 5: That's the record.
Speaker 1: Yep, crazy, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Joker gets buckets, he sure does. Notable NFL retirements Reeves, Joe Thomas, Jason Witt, James Harrison, Dwight Freeny.
Speaker 5: It's a list right in right before the season, is it?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 8: This is there last year, so ReBs is and Thomas's I think Fredie's into No.
Speaker 1: James Harrison, I mean it was two time defensive part of the year right still one scari I was just gonna say, like, like, can.
Speaker 2: State a lump I was.
Speaker 1: When he was on the team. I was still afraid of the guy and think I was like that Joker is intimidating. Now I loved him, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: He would come in there this deebo shirt, Deebo.
Speaker 5: I would pay to see him in the weight room.
Speaker 1: I mean The guy is an animal.
Speaker 2: He lived in the weight room. I mean yeah, he wear like old sweatsuits that were like super baggy old. Remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's very deceiving because you can't tell how big.
Speaker 2: You could see because he was only five. He's probably about five eleven and he was he was too sick. Five people wide, Oh my god. Games with Names is brought to you by my friends at Win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor. Win Las Vegas and on Core Boston Harbor are the ultimate destinations for sports and entertainment fans, from the sports book to gaming restaurants, live music, and more. Whether it's a casual weekend getaway or that special occasion, the sports book at Win Las Vegas or Encore Boston Harbor is the place to watch and wager from straight bets to parlays, teasers, and any prop bet you can dream up. And if you're a golfer, oh spend a day at the Win Las Vegas eighteen Hole Championship golf Course. Looking for an incredible stake with an unbeatable view, try rare at Encore Boston Harbor. Remember sign up for Win rewards and redeem resort credit in Las Vegas and Boston. Enjoy it all in a luxury resort setting with five star accommodations and all the amenities you can dream up. I will see you in Boston or Las Vegas soon. Jack set the stage for this game. Let's jump in this game.
Speaker 5: See all right, Let's start off with the La Rams here thirteen and three, second best record in franchise history, bested only by that one team Greatest Sean Turf. We know how that season ended, another loss to the Patriots. A bunch of guys on this team, Jared Goff, Young, Jared Golf, Todd Gurley, Aaron Donald.
Speaker 2: Corey little Is Gurly and this was Gurly.
Speaker 1: Gurley was already part of the year, wasn't he?
Speaker 6: Was he?
Speaker 5: I believe so Keith to leave brought him in prior to the season. You know, he's a Wade Phillips guy. Andrew Whitworth was in his about one hundred season here at Worth still ball, Marcus Peters and Dominicans who they brought in there. Brandon Cooks, former Patriot prior to the season as well, Greg the leg zer line. Cooper Cup was hurt, hurt for this one towards a cl in November missed the rest of the season. Johnny Hecker, Johnny Johnny, I mean, I feel like.
Speaker 1: It's all Johnny's an all time great now he was a bill love.
Speaker 5: Johnny Hecker didn't.
Speaker 1: Johnny Hecker was an all time punter.
Speaker 2: Who is who were the brother him or who are the brothers? Oh cole Quits?
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you were next to the cole Quits.
Speaker 2: Or Johnny Hecker, when you when you would be in warm ups and you'd be next to us punting, it sounded like a cannon going off. Those guys had such big, like crazy legs.
Speaker 1: And Johnny's a big old dude too, like six four six five.
Speaker 4: Wait, why would you be next to him?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Is that how they think?
Speaker 2: Walk by him? I'd always just like I am down until my man trying to mind and never never look at him, never look at him. Just I'd always look get their punt and just shake my head.
Speaker 8: Now would other like returners actually like talk to those guys. They have the special team or bond right now.
Speaker 1: The special like the snappers, punters, kickers, they have their own like they're in the world. They're in their own like brotherhood, which I respect. I like how they I like how they operate.
Speaker 2: They do back if we could try to come talk to me. I never talked to him. Oh you know, you try to butter you up. You know there's guys that was trying to butter you up. He was trying to but oh wait, I get out of here, dude. Oh never like any now, Oh this dude's killing should have been taking that butter. I wouldn't because that suckers doing right now.
Speaker 5: But I think, uh this yeah slate, Uh Girley was Offensive Player of the Year of the year before this, so okay, this team started eight.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 5: Also, I had notable wins. That crazy Monday night game over the Chiefs. Remember that one the shootout, Yeah, call it like fifty fifty four fifty one wild. That was a big game for him. That year, Aaron Donald led the league in sacks and a half.
Speaker 1: I mean, by the way, I just like to go on record and saying in my book, he's top three defensive player all time. And on that list is LT. Reggie White and Aaron Who's.
Speaker 2: The fourth, Who's the Who's the mount Rushmore?
Speaker 5: But those all big guys.
Speaker 1: You know, I give you you almost gotta you almost got to make a separate list, right, But those three guys changed the way the game is played and looked at. I mean LT is LT. I mean his name will be as long as we're talking about football, we'll be talking about LT.
Speaker 2: Can you remember any LT stories from Bill?
Speaker 1: I don't know that I want to repeat those. This guy loved, he loves LT. He love and rightfully so, rightfully so. And then Reggie is like, if you ask my dad, Reggie is the best because he had to go battle against them. But to be you know, six five, three hundred pounds and move like that and be that, I mean, I don't know that we've seen a player with that physical makeup. And then this joker now.
Speaker 2: Here is he got that?
Speaker 1: Miles Garrett has it, But I mean Miles Garrett don't have that hump move like my man had that hump Like he's throwing three hundred pounders out the club and one arm, you know. And and this joker here, the ceren Donal. Now, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: Which we'll get into it to the game which makes it this This game was so impressive with how our offensive line handled him. Oh my god, shout out Joe Toney, Joe Toney had one stoned him twice on the driver.
Speaker 1: We needed best guard, best guarden football.
Speaker 5: Mister Slaterer would have been proud, no doubt.
Speaker 1: I'm like, how about Joe Tuney's career, best guarden football right now? And how many super Bowl does this guy won?
Speaker 2: He's gonna yet?
Speaker 1: Five?
Speaker 9: Yet?
Speaker 1: Five? He got five, He's got all of them with This was his last year with us, but he didn't win the fourteen one.
Speaker 5: He's got four, he's got four.
Speaker 2: He's got far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right now, this guy's this guy's about to win. This guy's.
Speaker 2: He's a stud.
Speaker 1: He is great.
Speaker 5: A little more on this Rams team. Some notable coaches we talked about. Wade Phillips, D C. McVeigh was the de facto OC another Patriots got. They had Jed Fish on this staff. Jack Taylor, current Bengals coach, was a quarterbacks coach on this one. John Fossil's Boom Games coach, shut up booms and it was it was only mcvey's second season as the head coach. Was like three three yeah, full boy genius, like with Jules and I were watching on the patio that two days ago, the NFL films version, and like he was full on like starstruck by Bill. Before the game, it really felt like it didn't it.
Speaker 2: So we were watching just to research this, and we were watching the NFL films on why the Patriots won. I mean, you would never have thought today that Bill Belichick is is Bill Belichick? After watching that, this is this guy's the best. He says, like the greatest coach.
Speaker 5: Of all time.
Speaker 2: Now Raheem Morris is getting a job that media media turns on you. He told us that, remember that quick. He told us that there's gonna be a nay immedia.
Speaker 1: Turns on me. Hey, they have turn Now those joking to me. The people in media control the narrative and the conversation and what happens in our league way more than they should, way more than they should. I'm convinced of that. That's a different pod though.
Speaker 8: That's the do we fight against that and we like to celebrate awesome players in awesome games.
Speaker 4: No narrative bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's why I'm sitting here on this pod. I respect the host and the host people.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the New England Patriots. Set the stage, where's Jackie?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 5: We go eleven and five New England Patriots. A lot of dudes on this.
Speaker 2: Team fort not our best team.
Speaker 5: It was interesting with with some of the the sort of back to back there were two two game losing streaks, which is very uncharacteristic in one season.
Speaker 2: For the lost in December, I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was that loss to the Steelers in December, and then previous week was the miracle in Miami, which we we know we shall not speak of Dola Bolden.
Speaker 1: Goshlden had two long tugs. Oh my god.
Speaker 5: And then earlier he's still.
Speaker 2: Fast, looks good God they said, is he was gone twenty fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Ago and guy has been overcoming the odds so whole time.
Speaker 5: And then uh, Week two and three were lost at Jacksonville and then a lost to Maddy p that Monday night game in Detroit. So those were two double digit back to back losses, which was very uncharacteristic of a Patriots team.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and the Titans.
Speaker 5: And then in the middle of the season, yeah week ten years oh there that Titans lost by twenty four overcame overcame and found our our rhythm. Eighth straight AFC East I or a trade AFC Championship appearing. Sorry, this was coming off a season where lost to the Chris Long led Eagles. Unfortunately, some notable rookies on this team, Isaiah win Sony Michelle, who was huge down the Strea Big Four, lost Cooks and Dola in the off season, which which was a bummer. Jewels started the season suspended bummer on vacation. Slate re signed prior to this season, which we love. Two year deal.
Speaker 1: Almost left where Pittsburgh really to Pittsburgh. Huh yeah, they were, you know, they're trying to harball me negotiations. Oh, they almost had to get out. I almost had to pull emergency shoot get out Steel City Digress. I don't mean to cut you off there, Jack.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, man, I love that. I was always curious.
Speaker 1: I get the call in the airport. Yeah, needless sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, baby, Look, we don't need agents here, like like Slate, you're just gonna tell him. He's gonna tell Nick. Why don't we just get this thing done exactly how I go, exactly exactly how the coach. I just want my agent to handle it.
Speaker 1: Look, Coach, I don't understand the numbers. Yeah, I don't know. I just don't understand. Knowing full well, I know all the numbers every coach. I don't know the numbers. I don't know. I don't know it's getting paid.
Speaker 5: What Hey. Thankfully Slate came back. Lost, Dola lost, Soldier lost, Butler lost, Dion Lewis all the free agency, lost a lot of guys. But we had CP we had Slate, we had Devlin was two huge this year. High Tower was huge this year. Kyle van Noy was a beast this year. Patrick chungk had both the mccordions and Coties needed him, needed.
Speaker 1: Needed both of them.
Speaker 2: And then this was the play of the game, no doubt.
Speaker 5: This was the year we almost lost kind of did for like a day. Uh McDaniels to Indy. Oh remember that famous story you're day in the bathroom or whatever in the bathroom for an hour or wasn't that the story I got about that? Yeah, he came back.
Speaker 2: That was next year or that was last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So prior to this season, I was at that Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I was trying. I was trying to sit in that box with guys. That's your guy, fun intended, that is your guy though is Yeah, guys like, oh I got an extra ticket, I'm sitting in the colts box. I'm like, all right, I get in there. I'm you know, eating some French onion dip, enjoying the pregame festivities. Get a tap on my shoulder, sir, you can't sit in this box.
Speaker 1: Booted me.
Speaker 5: Got a lot of nerves. Wow, I actually.
Speaker 1: Respected it because you probably would have done the same thing if you were him. Nah, you to let Cooper cup comes sit in your box.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like Coop. I interviewed him for the Fox this year.
Speaker 1: Baby, let's Coop. We used to a good dude.
Speaker 5: He is, he's training together, man, And before we get into this game, gotta give a little shine to the rest of the coaching staff. This was an all time star studied Pat's coaching staff Joe Judge, Scar Ivan fears Chaddy O'Shea who he talked about earlier, Nick Kayley, b Flow Ziegler, and uh DeMarcus Covington who's now the d C. Had a lot of a lot of dudes, a lot of good brain trust guys in there.
Speaker 1: By the way, one guy you cannot leave off that coaching staff Brendan Daily, who by the way, has won six Super bowls NOWT won with US Kansas City. Insane BD choking mine end up with ten of those bad boys.
Speaker 2: I remember he came from Kansas City.
Speaker 1: Right there was something like to Minnesota to hear it.
Speaker 2: Was boys with Chad Yes because they were always close. Yes, And then went to k went back to Kansas City.
Speaker 1: All he does is win.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, he was. He's had quite the coaching career. Vikings Rams Vikings Patriots in now Kansas.
Speaker 2: City Vikings Rams Vikings.
Speaker 8: Also Ryan Allen, Joe Cardona, and Steven Gotkowska on this.
Speaker 4: Team as well.
Speaker 1: Ryan Allen game of his life. Shout out Ryan Allen. Cut his tail off.
Speaker 8: Then we drafted another punter, Jewels Often like tells a story about winning is fun coming off the Eagles.
Speaker 4: You have your perspective on that whole like winning.
Speaker 1: His fun, but on the whiteboard, yeah, I mean, look, I'm in agreement with Julian on this. Like clearly winning is fun for a long time and it continues to be the case. People were taking shots at what we had going on over here, like you know, they don't do this, they don't do that. That's not fun. This is not fun. Like, first of all, fun is not the top priority grown man. If I want to have fun, I'll take my kids to Disneyland. But what is fun is winning football. What is not fun? It's going forward to thirteen so I can tell you winning football games, there's nothing like it. And to be able to do that with people that you care about, to be able to build relationships, to be able to you know, do all those things, and to put winning on top is like the cherry. I mean, there's nothing better than winning this league.
Speaker 2: But you remember I had to go away for my vacation right when I left because of all the talks I put on the whiteboard.
Speaker 1: Winning is fun, winning is fun, which stayed up there for long, all that season, all that season, and may have even carried over afterwards, but stayed there. No truer words have ever been spoken.
Speaker 8: If you win and become MVP, you also get to go to Disneyland.
Speaker 1: Correct, And you get to host podcasts, and you get to live in just sick cribs.
Speaker 2: So you know you should see slates newly built crib over and where's it?
Speaker 1: Then it's okay, It's.
Speaker 2: It's not like yeah right, Jack, Let's get the game lead up, all right, the lead.
Speaker 5: Up to this game. We're talking title games here. These are two memorable ones the NFC title. The Rams went down then Orleans and beat them on that controversial no pass interference call him.
Speaker 1: Brutal, just little brutal.
Speaker 4: The worst in that call was then the challenging p I the year after.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it was like a defensive receiver hit too.
Speaker 5: It was wild.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 5: P I either one of them, which is crazy, bad, insane. And then we can't forget.
Speaker 1: You know, somebody's gotta fire one of them refs. Now, I gotta start docking these jokers with their miss calls like that. And I can say that because I'm no longer an employee of the NFL. The referee. We gotta go, come on, fellas, Yeah, we gotta do better than what we're doing.
Speaker 2: You know, there's there's there are a group of referees that you like. Yeah, but there are a group of guys, you know what I'm talking about, love that love that little authority, love that authority.
Speaker 1: They did.
Speaker 2: They kind of try to got no back. Looking like a principal out there. You can't act like a principal. You gotta have a relationship with the guys. It's in fire environment.
Speaker 1: You gotta have relationship with gotta have relationship, and a lot of you guys they like to sun us like, you know, like we're little kids and stuff.
Speaker 2: So I don't like I'm making twelve million dollars this year.
Speaker 1: Get the I never made no twelve million dollars. But I do know all this. If I'm thirty eight years old out there, I don't need you sonning me. I don't need like I'm a grown man. Okay. And then I also want to specifically call out the crew that Reugh freed our game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in two thousand and what year was that twenty one for calling me for a runn out of bounds when I forced the phone when we lost the game of Tampa Bay Bucks. Whoever was on that crew, that was an atrocious call, one of the worst calls I've seen in my career. You you played a large role and calltion us that football game, and shame on you for that.
Speaker 2: And this is a man of integrity that doesn't do that.
Speaker 1: I don't know how we got on that, but Theugh ring. I got a big time issue with the ref ring.
Speaker 8: You know, I've heard like an internet like idea to have Reugh press conferences after the game.
Speaker 4: Hold account hold accountability.
Speaker 1: So we need more is a society, we need more account of Bill.
Speaker 5: That was a Bill Vinovich crew led uh crew that day in fox Borough?
Speaker 6: Was it? That was?
Speaker 2: But come on, Bill brother, the signs just like Harry, Oh God.
Speaker 1: Was that this year?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: Wait, ye, this is the year you lost.
Speaker 4: To the Titans. This is the next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was bad. That was which And then they said he stepped out of mounts.
Speaker 2: Oh he didn't.
Speaker 1: And before that there was like we lost that. That was like I've always wanted the blast. It feels good. It feels good to have the platform to do so let it spray.
Speaker 5: I love it. Back back to the lead up of this one, can't forget what the Patriots did in their AFC title game going into Arrowhead, winning that thing thirty seven thirty one in overtime.
Speaker 2: Favorite, no doubt, favorite win of my career, scoring reel unsuper unreal.
Speaker 1: Now, my man had a very controversial play in that game on a punt. He didn't touch it, but he attempted to fill a punt off the top, and because my man can't strap his gloves off the strap of his glove almost touched the wall. I don't know if you guys remember that. I remember, but we watched that play several times this year. You know, they had the Bears TV running and I remember going to him and I, did you touch it? Did you touch the ball?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: I didn't even touch it. I didn't haven't. I didn't try to touch it. And then I look up at the thing. Yes, you tried to touch it. You tried to fill the ball. Scoop that puppy. Make a play, play it on the first bounds. Doesn't matter. We won the game.
Speaker 2: We threw a pick the very next play.
Speaker 5: Is that.
Speaker 1: A ball doesn't lie. Situation didn't touch it. Might be I don't know. We won the game, doesn't matter. You were envy at the last game of the season. That's all that matters.
Speaker 7: And uh.
Speaker 5: Also, leading up to this game we mentioned earlier no Cooper Cup. This was also expected. Everybody was saying shootout, shootout. Great offense is great offense. Two good defenses, but awesome offenses like over under was set at fifty six points, didn't even come close. And there was also the age disparity conversation. You got Bill sixty six at the time of this game, McVeigh thirty three, Brady forty one, Golf forty four. So everyone, that's why making the young Bucks versus the old guard type type argument here.
Speaker 2: Keep it going.
Speaker 5: Jackie should get into the game a little bit here into.
Speaker 8: The game, all right, before we get into like what was was there any skotting report things to take a stop Aaron Donald stop?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, get a body on ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Stop Aaron Donald. Beat man coverage on third and short. That's why we dialed up the Beaver, which was like a longer pass play on a third and short, because we knew Wade Phillips knew what he was going to do. He's a very man coverage type play caller. And then they started trying to give a zone and then that's where they were matching me up on a linebacker on the juke routes, and so that's when it got eaten up and then they would go to the man. We just couldn't finish. We were moving the ball up and down the field. Just every time we got in the red area, you know, something went wrong. We couldn't finish play, We couldn't finish drives.
Speaker 5: But we were moving the ball.
Speaker 2: We were moving the ball, Like we were able to run the ball, what would we run for ninety four yards?
Speaker 10: Son?
Speaker 2: He had ninety four yards on eighteen carries. Rex had some big old runs, you know what I mean. So like we were running the football. We just you know, that's where these games come down to. It's situational football, you know, it's it's red area. It's four point plays, which is third down in the red area. Guys that you know, if you don't score touchdowns in the red area, that's usually what separates to win. Now, we just so happened to have a killer defensive game plan and our guys went out there and x a cute it to a t and having the veteran presence of the mccordy's and the Jason mccordy coming over, having his first Super Bowl, you know, having Gilmore go out and play to the big contract that we got him, gave him, and that's why we fought the first day of practice because I was pissed off that I used to write him up as a bill and then we gave him fourteen. He played the way he should have played with the interception and then the force fumble like it was it was crazy with one.
Speaker 5: Less dread his hair and his head one.
Speaker 2: That's my dog, bro.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 2: I remember on the way back because Bill kicked us out. It was the first day of pads. It was it was the first day, early practice, early practice, early practice. Kickses, just get the fuck hit the showers at home, and you too, Gilmore. By the time we're out, we're sitting in the shower in the locker room. You know, I'm like, yeah, my bad, bro. You know, he's like, you know, Gilly doesn't really yeah.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah, man, it's all right, you know, Like it was, Oh man.
Speaker 5: What do you you guys remember anything in particular about the lead up to this one Super Bowl prep wise, game plan wise that we didn't touch yet.
Speaker 2: We just were constantly talking about getting Aaron Donald protected.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. The whole team knew that.
Speaker 2: Though we were just talking about higher team knew we had we can't get Aaron. If we don't get Aaron Donald will lose the game.
Speaker 1: And that was the truth and that's still the truth. If you play those guys. You got a block ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Blocking ninety nine was huge. Red area. I remember us talking about red area. We got a score points which we didn't do very well on. You know, and those are the two things that come to my mind.
Speaker 1: Anything else special, And I know for us, like playing against Bones, you know, you always had to be fake sound. The Rams ran a lot of fakes with Johnny Hecker.
Speaker 2: He's a quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he can he can throw the ball. Now this kid can throw the ball. So we just were talking about fake adjustments all week, being fake sound. It got to the point, I mean we changed our what we were gonna do our checks maybe two or three times. It got to the point where I remember looking over at Nate Edner and I was just like, hey man, when we get out there, just make sure we got a hat on a hat like we're probably gonna screw the call up because we've gone through it so many times. Just make sure everybody's accounted for when we get out there. And uh, and you know, let's try to make a play. Little did we know that it was gonna be a fifteen punt extravaganza. But yeah, that fake sound was preached all week in our room.
Speaker 2: What do you think of McVeigh at this time, because he had the whole boy gen respect for him. Yeah, I mean it was our age.
Speaker 1: He was Our age was just wild. I mean, I'm older than the guy.
Speaker 2: We played against, the same age.
Speaker 1: Just the fact that he was able to get Jared Goff turned around right like we played Jared Golf in sixteen. They came to us and you just didn't see it. And then this year and the year before that, you're like, man, this is a different player. So to me, that was very impressive because I don't think we have enough coaches in the league that can develop young quarterbacks. And then the way he had this offense rolling, I mean, you know, you thought we were going to be in for a long day.
Speaker 5: And then to start the game, this was down in Atlanta. Can't start a game without a coin toss. Slate two and three in coin tosses in Super Bowls, but they lost every game that Slate won the coin toss, which is a weird stat.
Speaker 2: Heads, baby, Okay.
Speaker 1: So you lost, so I needed I lost, Yes, okay.
Speaker 5: But I will note you were one for one in overtime coin tosses. That's when it matters.
Speaker 1: NFC Championship game right week before, two weeks before, that's when it matters. Byby give it heads always right, never always tails.
Speaker 2: Was Dad feeling at this this game?
Speaker 1: He was given the most political answer all week. You know, either way it goes, I'm in a win win situation, and I'm like, how can you say that? He goes, you know, I gotta, I gotta kind of they flew down there on the RAMS plane. Oh, they flew down there on the RAMS plane. They flew You know, he's working for the Rams all year doing media stuff. So I think he was trying to tow the line, like he didn't want to rock the boat with the Rams, which I respect. I mean, look, the Rams provided for my education growing up, So I got love for the Rams. But you know, come on, Pop, you gotta you gotta draw a hard line in the sand. It Stanley, you get family. Now, he was down on the field, he had the hats, he was so rating all and then he had to fly back on the plane. I don't compromise him right now, but he had to fly back on the plane, and so he had to act real sad the next day, getting up getting back on the plane.
Speaker 4: But do you think had the Rams won, he would have shut up to the Rams party.
Speaker 11: Oh he'd have been in there and then dancing around he'd have been dappling up there.
Speaker 1: And on the whole game. Oh that was weird. That was really weird for our family. I'm not gonna lie, like my dad at this point had a you know, forty year relationship with the RAM, so it was a strange situation for sure.
Speaker 5: He doesn't strike me as a split Jersey guy either, like the moms that were the half of.
Speaker 1: Oh no, he's not doing that. He's not doing that. He ain't doing that.
Speaker 5: Oh man, all right. We talked a little bit about moving that ball in the first half and pretty much throughout the whole game. But we started this thing half after the coin toss a Brady interception. What is it with Tom in those early Super Bowl interceptions? I don't know, but that's how this one started.
Speaker 1: I'm not critiquing. I'm not taking either towns the best player in the history game.
Speaker 5: The d bailed him out with a stop on a three and out many of those. This game. Followed it up with a nice eleven play drive, really moving the ball, jewels you were getting open, but ended up with a Steve o missfield goal. Remained nothing nothing at the end of the first moving into the second, we finally got on the board with the Steve o forty two yarder and then the story of this game, so many punts we're talking here, fourteen total punts, eight alone in the first half. Five of those were off three and outs. So defenses were both playing hard and it was a feel bag game.
Speaker 1: I mean, inside the we were loving that. I'm not gonna lie to y'all. We love to be able to go out there and do our job, and you know, we really got in a groove. I think early in that game, Ryan was hitting the ball with confidence. I think we got him inside the ten a number of times, which ended up being you know, a big part of this game was that hitting yardage and keeping their offense on a long field. But you know, you got to shout out Ryan Allen for the game that he had. I mean, this is one of the best punting performances I've ever seen. And then for us, you know, a lot of the situations that we were in, we were on singles, which we love as gunners, and we were just able to run and make play. So it was awesome.
Speaker 2: Is that a political that is that you see? You see when Slake gets into the coach mode, you see his voice octavetes like three three deeper.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just want to you know, right, yeah, yo, yeah, Fellows.
Speaker 1: Fellows. He used to always get on me about my voice changing octaves, But like you know, you gotta use the appropriate active at the appropriate time.
Speaker 2: I need these appropriate time to go over the state of the union. What's the state of the union?
Speaker 1: We used to you want to stay, you want to talk state of the Union right now?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We got all day. You know, we used to have these state of the Union talks or where Julian and I would go in private and openly discuss what we really felt like was going on with the team, the coaching staff, certain guys on the team, and you know, the state of the union addresses started when we were living together. And probably the most the single most important state of the Union that we ever had was after we got throttled on Monday Night football by the Chiefs in twenty fourteen, and ships we came back to the house and I was falling. I mean, it was a chicken little situation.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: The TV folks were saying that Tom was washed, that we were done. Trent Dilfer, who I just saw a couple of weeks ago, and reminded me of this.
Speaker 11: He was on he was on air and he's like, the dynasty is over. It's over, just crushing us. And you know we're not young, but we were kind of young, and we're like, man, we are.
Speaker 1: We are, we through, We're looking.
Speaker 2: We were just sitting there. The turk is coming overhaul the whole roster.
Speaker 1: It's Bill. It's Bill gonna cut us. But uh, needless to say, we're on the Cincinnati. Yeah, but that's the State of the un But it.
Speaker 2: Would be so funny, like if something went down in the building, so Slate would be in. We'd be in the same meetings some of the times, and the Slate would be going to special teams and we'd be passioning each other in the hallway, like on the way the cafeteria, like treatment or something. I'd be like, you have State of the Union. After State of the Union, he was like, state the Union. I'm like, state of the Union, State of the fucking Union. And we would wait until we left the premises of the ground. As we got older, yeah, as we got older. As we got older, we we we we we we we stayed on the ground, right.
Speaker 1: But when we were young, you can't have a state of Union on the ground. Absolutely, place might be both. You can't never take that off site yet stay of the union off side.
Speaker 2: We go into the car.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, was state of the Union one one?
Speaker 1: There's always one, one, one one one. You can't you can't bring so many parties in the state of anything. The information leaks, you know, loose you know, loose lips. Think ships sink ships, and we won our ships sinking.
Speaker 2: After every State of the Union, we felt like the ship was.
Speaker 1: Seeking the ship.
Speaker 2: The outlook was always pulled the worst. I don't know, this is not like we are done our big union. After that we won three Super Bowls.
Speaker 1: Perspective exact exactly?
Speaker 4: Do you guys remember your last State of.
Speaker 1: The Union might have been a state of the Union about the neat me.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if I could do it.
Speaker 1: I mean, that was tough. That was tough for me because at that point in time, you know, I had two work wives in my career, Julian and mccordy.
Speaker 2: Who's the main who was the mainstay?
Speaker 3: It was Julian was the primary work. You tell mccorty, he the side piece. Okay, he's a side piece.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, what when how about demon wearing all three of his rings on his on his show? Because here are wearing rings on the show.
Speaker 1: Broh, D mat Man the I yeah, I mean we got him. I guess we're supposed to wear them for banquets. Yeah, mine in lockdown, got a bank wearing mine.
Speaker 2: You give it to like a Pop Warner team to look at. Yeah the National TV.
Speaker 1: Did he have on?
Speaker 2: He had multiple times.
Speaker 1: Dat we gotta talk about. But you know dmat was also wearing a shirt was his own hit on there, So you know the modesty's gone.
Speaker 12: You know what?
Speaker 1: J Ma that J J Mack.
Speaker 2: J Mack classy guy.
Speaker 1: So what he's saying, I don't know. I didn't say that. I mean, is that old talking all class? In my book? Man all class?
Speaker 2: Now he's classy, but he's just nasshole. J Max is just a loving league.
Speaker 1: I got grass. Okay, my work wife is going out with his knee and I'm in a pan. I'm trying to hold the front. I'm trying to act. Hey man, you know, hey man, just get keep doing a rehab, keep getting it treated. You gotta just keep keep fighting. Then I go talk to the trainers. And they'd be like his knees done and I'm and I'm panicing, what do you mean it's done? He's like, I don't think it's getting any better. But that was a tough staying that was tough. But you went out on your shield. Man. You had your highest yard yardage game of your career that last year.
Speaker 2: Remember, I was trying to come back. And I remember my last practice because after that we weren't even playoff Freddie and I was like, I'm not pushing this thing. The last practice, I just I just wanted to get Gilmour one more time, one on ones. I went out just for one on ones. I got Little Miles on a double move. Then I got Gilmore and I literally after I got Gilmore, I just chucked the deuces and went to the pool. It was the last time I was ever seen as a New England Patriot.
Speaker 1: Oh man, you went to the Wills fall off. That's what we always said, go to Wills fall off.
Speaker 2: You gotta go to the Willis fall off. Now are you surprised at the paces this terrible game? By this time, I mean we were a full tangent. I forgot what we're talking about the game you know, I was loving it.
Speaker 1: I was loving the way the game was Evanon flown because we were having a lot of opportunities to impact the game. But I was surprised because their offense was so potent. Obviously our offense was was really motoring at this time. I was surprised at how slow the game was developing and how well the defenses were playing, you know.
Speaker 2: There. I watched this game and there was just crazy plays by so many guys on the defense. High Tower literally brought the thunder February, you know, Like I just remember there was like three plays in a row where they were trying to bring that tight end in to get the the backer and he literally put them on their butt like three times. The van Ney chip and then Chase of Golf.
Speaker 1: On that big That was a great player by Kyle, Like I was a great play there was.
Speaker 2: And then you know Gilmore with the pick when we needed it, Jason mccordy with you know, the pat out at the backside post with the adjustment that they put in, you know, because they already got beat by that and they let it go. Remember, like there was just so much the defense played their nuts off, like it really did man, this is exactly how Bill wanted it.
Speaker 1: He loved it, loved it.
Speaker 2: It was we were in control of the game even though we.
Speaker 1: Weren't right and I mean to the fan, honestly, for me, and we played in five Super Bowls, to me, this was the most comfortable I ever felt during the Super Bowl. I mean every other game was a struggle. You know, it was like, man, I don't know, we it always felt like we were in control of the game.
Speaker 2: Felt like we were in control even though the score was.
Speaker 1: Close, and you know it was a tight ball game. It felt like this is transpartent, just the way we wanted.
Speaker 5: So, I mean the first half alone, defense was incredible. Held the rams of fifty seven yards, only two first downs, record loads for Sean McVay. First time he'd ever been shut out in the half of football, which is or first half of football, which is crazy jewels. Seven catches in the first first the Super Bowl record. Six of those seven were for first downs. Pretty sick. Jim Nantz was loving it. They go into the My.
Speaker 1: Man was running some round. He talk about beating man covers. You were run some ounce that just the the average Joe. That's why that knees gone because that knee was working that night. I think it was my knees were hurting just watching it. I look at the highlights, I see my dog cutting. I'm like, oh my my meniscous, my icl hurt just watching. He was running some routes that night.
Speaker 5: A half up three nothing, What was what was up in the halftime? Any adjustments anything big? We remember? Standard standard.
Speaker 2: It was just a standard like fellas we you know we're not playing our best. We just tighten up little things in the red area, just keep playing each play, trying to win one play at a time. You can't win it, and you know you can't win the game in one play, like that's the That was the mantra, like, let's just do our job every play and then line up and do it again. That's right, communication, execution, and.
Speaker 1: It sounds simple, but it's hard to carry out. And you know, that's the one thing we did better than everybody for the time we were there. We were able to execute.
Speaker 5: Come out in the third quarter, let him tie it up on a Greg de leg field goal. And another thing there was was big. A lot of people don't talk about enough. Jung gets hurt goes out, we lose him Chung.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was big air.
Speaker 5: Cast on the arm.
Speaker 2: That's like some Rodney Harrison.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Chung brought such a level of like toughness and competes to our team and just intangibles that you don't really celebrate or talk about. That was a big loss when he went out of the game, Like I felt emotionally, I felt, yeah, that was a blow that we had to kind of overcome.
Speaker 2: You know, you couldn't have explained it any better with what he brought to the team, with his toughness, with how he practiced.
Speaker 5: For the first three years of my career, me and Chung was.
Speaker 2: Fought every day every day because you know, there's like an agreement when you're going into block force and he was always the forced safety, you know, and he never agreed to the agreement, and I never agreed to the agreement. So we were literally banging heads for three years every day and like it was just and but it made us better, Yeah, it did, you know. And that's what Chung was.
Speaker 6: He was.
Speaker 2: He worked his tail off. He was always dependable when the team needed it. And it's crazy when you can literally say that about pretty much everyone that was on the field, right, you know, and that's why the team was special. We're special.
Speaker 5: And then moving into the fourth quarter, there's the first time in Super Bowl history where we don't have a touchdown in the game yet Wow, three to three Patriots get the ball with nine thirty nine left in the fourth. We got the drive that pretty much wins this game. We're starting on our own thirty one, starting out with a great pass to Gronk, then jeweles and Rexburghead gets involved, and then the play that one of the defining plays of this game in my mind was that hass Z juke. Right, see the Gronk.
Speaker 2: Three plays in a row or four times in a row, they hit me on the juke, they hit what Rex on the outside yep. And then the one time when when they hit Rex, we saw that they gave us single safety. And when you get single safety on that play, that's why we you know, you see a highlight of Gronk hitting the seam running, you know, and and that's when it happened. You know, it was crazy. We could run. That was like we used to call that play Jordan. You know that was Jordan because it was it was our safety blanket. We could run it against anything. Everyone knew how to run it. Everyone ran their specific route so many times where you knew how to get open on every coverage.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean, No, I love that was one of my favorite Gronk moments of all time personally, you.
Speaker 1: Know, shout out Gronk because you know, this year was tough for him, especially towards the end. He was banged up physically, he was just beat up, and what he really embraced was like, all right, I'm gonna just become a dominant blocker and then you know, when we needed plays in the past game, he just always found a way to rise to the occasion. And to me, that's what that's what makes him the best because when it wasn't perfect for him, when he was hurting, he found ways to make plays.
Speaker 5: And like in this game, my man was.
Speaker 1: Hurting, hurt, he was hurting, but when we needed him, he found a way. Joker found a way to make a play.
Speaker 2: Always did. And you know, people don't realize like he was probably half of himself that year. Oh like with just the physical and mental beatdown that he was having, because you got to think about it, I mean, Gronk was the most dominant human being for most of his life and then you know, confidence wise was probably a little shot when you know, he's banged up and he's going over rehabs every year, every year, and he was getting sick of it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: Gronk's a big puppy man, you know, and for him to go out and show out like he did, and it started, you know, probably like week eighteen. You know, he started just putting them together and anytime we needed to play, Gronk made it. I mean, third down in ten in Kansas City, we hit him on the slint, know, just big time plays when the team needed it. Gronk always showed up no matter what. That's right, you know, even when he wasn't himself. And that's that's how you know if you're playing with great players, because it's kind of like Nascar.
Speaker 5: You always hear the.
Speaker 2: Drivers talking about like, yo, how's the car running? The cars running great today? You know there's sometimes a car ain't running good and you still got to win the race, right, you know, And that's what guys like Gronk, Guys like Tom. Tom had so many injuries that no one knew about, like broken broken feet and shit, you know like that. People don't even he tried to play with the aco.
Speaker 5: We all watched the doc.
Speaker 9: Like.
Speaker 2: To be able to adjust your game and still be able to perform at a high level is the ultimate sign of being a professional. Dy Amn Dola used to do it all the time. Break his ankle, come out taping his own ankle.
Speaker 1: Couldn't agree with you, dudes.
Speaker 5: And then before he wrap this thing up, we're getting down time here. This was another defining play from this game, From this second half, Slate's work. Brother in law Jason mccordy makes the game saving, the game saving play in my mind, one of them on Brandon Cooks in the back of the end zone.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, huge, huge play. I mean, the thing about this play that's so impressive is Jason has a responsibility. They're in zone coverage and this is not his responsibility. It is not his responsibility to be in the deep third and to be covering this route. But he has the experience and the preparation in the football IQ to say, O, this guy's back here, he's open. It's not my guy, but I better.
Speaker 4: Go get on him.
Speaker 1: And if he doesn't make this play, we may not even be sitting here talking about this. So this is a huge, huge play.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 2: The best play in my eyes was least play a game right type diving kill.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's no no, take that knee, baby, that's playing football. Six tight diamond, take a knee that's playing That was right tight diving killed six tight in the sixth was Josh m Nail six tight diamond taking knee right tight. The only reason I know six tights because that's the only player, man.
Speaker 2: He's.
Speaker 1: Which. We had the Sea super Bowl, and there's like the scuffle at the the need for that.
Speaker 4: You're going all crazy.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to get jokers checked it. I was trying to get Michael Bennett and ejected through a pot full on through a pot full on tackle.
Speaker 4: Gronk too.
Speaker 1: Shout out Michael Bennett, one of my former teammates, but he no remember Michael came Oh he did.
Speaker 5: For Yeah, wasn't the story he and Brett Beilam. I didn't like you.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Michael came out and we used to have shells that you like on non padded days. He wore shells on a padded day. The man was He used to wear the smallest VT in that vet.
Speaker 5: He was super vet, super vet. Hold on before we wrapped this thing up. Win the game thirteen to three. This was This was a punt game. This is one of the greatest punting special team Super Bowls ever. Can we go through a couple of stats here? Yeah, Johnny Hecker sixty five yards Super Bowl record, Astik broke Ryan Allen's punts.
Speaker 1: Astik Pastrick rolled it, rolled about thirty yards, and I remember looking at Johnny and I looked at him. I was like, you, lucky, something got He just looked at me.
Speaker 2: At the old Scotty oo is probably back at home at the ranch yelling at it because I didn't play it off its first bounce.
Speaker 1: Oh what are you supposed to do? He shanked it and that rolled thirty yards.
Speaker 5: Shank mcdank, shank stick. He broke the previous record, which was held by Ryan Allen from the twenty fifteenth Super sixty four yards real record.
Speaker 1: I'm just playing, Johnny. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 5: Fourteen total punts, six of which were down inside the twenty yard line. Ryan Allen had punts down on the six, the two, and the seven. Hecker had puns down on the eight the two in the twelve.
Speaker 1: Yard lines kind of wild.
Speaker 5: This was wild wild. To make it even wilder, backed up these two guys. I mean we're talking great roommates right here, Ryan Allen Johnny Hecker roommates at Oregon State. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Crazy, they get that that little rivalry because Ryan had to transfer, Johnny beat him out. Yeah, and then I think Ryan won like the Guy Award twice when he transferred.
Speaker 5: But there's always a little something.
Speaker 1: He's always they always had a little like, hey, hey, what's that man? Like, No, I'm gonna get this guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, kickers, they're in their own world. They like they're cool, but they they're all competitive.
Speaker 1: They are very competitive. Wild.
Speaker 5: Soh yeah, this one goes down lowest scoring super Bowl history, thirteen to three, Pats win, Brady passes, Charles Haley six rings, most of any single player craziness. And then we got the after party of the aftermath.
Speaker 1: Golf was traded gone, which brings me back to my other point though Julian's point, winning is fun. If you don't win, you don't get one hundred percent. Julian Edelman, Okay, you don't get to.
Speaker 2: Ellen degenerous, shaving my beard, have that one.
Speaker 1: Shave your beard, you know with Tom right. I mean, you don't get to experience all these things unless you win, so therefore winning is fun.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite parade story?
Speaker 1: I think our first parade against that Seattle team.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Now we won't get up, we won't get into the lead up and the build up and that, but we know what that build that was. Anyways, you know that Seattle team that was that That felt good to beat those guys because that team they were a little a little on the cocky side, little on the cocky side. I'll never forget you on top of the duck boat beard, out of control T shirt. It's freaking a tea freezy. There was somebody had a Richard Sherman sign where he was doing this and it and it said how many rings his brady had four? And you were up there interacting with the crowd and the fans and that sign. That was a good time.
Speaker 2: That was a good bueler day off full on after those ones are just chilled.
Speaker 5: Really, oh man, Jules, step back here. How do they tell you you want chipol and V be like, what's that? What's that? Process, like on the field, I think Stacy, can Stacey tell you?
Speaker 2: Let's see, I wouldn't be here without you so much.
Speaker 5: Boston for bringing another championship home.
Speaker 1: Trying to get the emotional open. Yes, that's when I was when I when I ask him about the m v P.
Speaker 2: Everyone together, six time champions?
Speaker 6: Are you.
Speaker 2: Crazy?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 1: MVP?
Speaker 2: She can't stay shure, We're only doing up there together. Oh man, have you noticed coach Belichick gate with his girl talk with that girl. We're together, baby, We're together.
Speaker 1: We're still here here, still here.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: You know that that that was to be able to have witnessed your entire professional journey, you know, highs, lows, everything. That was maybe the highest moment for me as your brother, as your fan, like you won the m v P, the Super Bowl. We grew up watching this thing, you know, we grew up with a dream and to be able to make it to the biggest age and have that kind of success. It's just so proud of you.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm proud of you. Man who plays sixteen years football?
Speaker 1: I fooled him pretty good.
Speaker 2: Get out of here. Let's let's give you some some quick hitters. What's Tom's legacy after this game.
Speaker 1: I mean, in my mind he was already the greatest, but this just further cemented. Like, you know, if football is about winning and and quarterbacking is about leading your team to win, then there's no argument that this game solidified him as the greatest player of all time.
Speaker 2: Well what about the next super Bowl?
Speaker 1: Well the next super Bowl? The emotions are a little bit different. I was a little bit angry. He should be with us. He loved us, he loves us. Talk. Sorry, did he ever text you? And let you know?
Speaker 5: I found out through a bottom ticker.
Speaker 1: If he didn't text you, you know he didn't text me. Bottom left us.
Speaker 2: He's giving me clues, but he was always giving, He's always talking.
Speaker 1: That left us, then he's over there, him and Gronk hoisting another one up.
Speaker 2: Never got hammered with us, Oh, staggering off the boat, never got hoisted the embody throwing it, getting real cavalier with it.
Speaker 1: Come on, Tom, I was happy for you, does but he left us. He left us, left us at the altar.
Speaker 2: And what are you supposed to do? You're happy your ex wife, Mary is a freaking man, the Navy seal.
Speaker 5: Billionaire, But Navy seal billionaire.
Speaker 1: Oh no you're not.
Speaker 2: That's the last person you want your wife to marry. Navy seal billionaire.
Speaker 1: That's what he did to us. That's what he did.
Speaker 4: Don't you just wanted to be happy? What don't you just want your ex wife to be happy?
Speaker 2: Come on, we want you to be happy. Now of this game embody the Patriot way to the fullest or what slate?
Speaker 1: This team embodied it? Right, This was not our best team, but we found way used to come together, to overcome, to you know, adjust and to ultimately win. And we found, you know a way to like dig within ourselves and be at our best when it was needed. So to me, not just this game and the way it transpired, but the way this season unfolded really embodied the Patriot way, you know, as much as any season that I think we were a part of.
Speaker 2: So now where does this game rink for greatest Matthew Slater game?
Speaker 1: Well, it's definitely one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean statistic wise too, do you have any tackles I had?
Speaker 1: I had a tackle this game. This is like a few down punts. So to the one handerlander, the one hand lander, one hander lander when I'll show my kids twenty years from now, just to remind them old dad used to be something. But this is up there. I mean because I think our unit, I mean your team individually it was special beat my dad's team being able to play well, but just our unit collectively, special teams. You know, Nate Keon, you know obviously, Ryan, Steve, Joe, all those guys. We've all played well and we helped the team win, which was huge.
Speaker 5: Geez.
Speaker 2: Was this Bill's best Super Bowl coaching?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's up there. I think if you look at the book end titles, right the first one against the Rams, I think that was some great code.
Speaker 2: What what about the Seattle where he didn't call the time.
Speaker 1: Out, creating a frenzy on this joking coach football nowt and a lot of this show was that's Jedi mind trick. Make no mistake about it. There are thirty you know, let's call it, well, maybe not thirty teams because some teams have good coaches. There are at least fifteen teams in the league that don't have a coach as good as this guy. They can't even sniffle I know, fifteen teams in the league.
Speaker 2: I'm just telling you, tell you right now, Atlanta, if you don't win that division.
Speaker 1: Look, I don't want to I don't want to point fingers at what the I'm just saying. I'm not saying a team. I'm not naming a team by name. I don't want to name a team. But the fact that this guy doesn't have a job.
Speaker 2: I wanted to go down to atl Man, go to the camps, taking the scene. Check out magic City.
Speaker 1: No, ain't no magic city over here. Now, ain't no magic city. No magic city, now shout it ain't no magic city. But uh yeah, man, it's This was definitely one of his all time I think great coaching performances. To shut that offense down, to come up with the game plan, to to really neutralize those guys. It goes up there for sure.
Speaker 2: Now, after this game, did you start to feel the sky in the its team was following out?
Speaker 1: Well, if we're honest, which is what we've been doing all day, seventeen was turbulent. There was turbulence in seventeen, and turbulence. Fasten your safety belts because that thing.
Speaker 2: Was a little rocky chunk. Ain't flying and not plane no more.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sorry, PC I know you don't like flying. I learned that the hard way. But we were turbulent. Now now we were thirteen three super Bowl, but you know, it started with you getting hurt in the preseason and then there was just a lot of turbulence. Eighteen somehow we I don't know how, but we rallied up. We answered the bell nineteen. We're bringing her on in for landing, you know.
Speaker 2: And then and Aby didn't.
Speaker 5: Aby was we were on the Super Bowl. Ab was on the team.
Speaker 1: Aby was special.
Speaker 2: Man that that was one thing we needed because Gronk wasn't there, didn't have anything, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: It was good.
Speaker 1: But you know what really did a sin was when TV left us at the altar. Yeah, left us. TV left us. We were there. We were ready, ready to serve you, ready to go out there and die for you. Ain't left us.
Speaker 2: There ain't no twelve walking through that damn door.
Speaker 1: Ain't no twelve walking through that door. And I love Camp. I love Camp. I enjoyed my time with cam. My fashion definitely went up and he was a great person to be around. So this is not a knock on Cam Newton at all, because this is an MVP player elite, but twelve levels at the altar. It's called what it is. Yeah, Tom, don't worry. Thomas still got your jersey up in my office right next to my dad's. You always be my guy. But you left us.
Speaker 2: He had left us, probably done the same thing ready.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'll be honest, I thought you were going down there too. I thought all you jokers are gonna go down there, and I was, Oh, I would have been steamed. I mean, all of a sudden, Gonk wants to resurface out of retirement.
Speaker 2: Out just ball out.
Speaker 1: I'm like, come on, Rob, But I get it. You know I'll joking a sign. I get it.
Speaker 5: We get it.
Speaker 1: Everything happened the way I was supposed to.
Speaker 2: How about this rumblings of Bill potentially joining.
Speaker 1: The media this year, Oh, that would be something. How do you think he'd do?
Speaker 5: Kill it?
Speaker 1: You think so?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's so smart. You're watching all those NFL things. Whenever he does that stuff, it's a historical thing. He'll kill it. But I straight up told him if he if he goes out and doesn't come on this podcast, Games with Names, I took the shitty contracts. Okay, I worked my dick off Yeah, I was asshole here and there sometimes, and Poudy here and there. But I put on the work.
Speaker 1: He needs to be sitting right in the sea.
Speaker 5: I need coach right here.
Speaker 1: Especially if Ernie comes. If Ernie comes on the pond, he's gotta come, he's gotta come.
Speaker 2: You gotta get coach on the only one that goddamn media going to bat for him.
Speaker 1: Remember all year, all year down with the ship that was Amano.
Speaker 2: You went down with the ship I was.
Speaker 1: I was like one of those violin players on the Titanic.
Speaker 2: You were the guy violated.
Speaker 1: I'm playing that tune till I can't play it anymore. I'm going down. I'm committed to this ship, committed to the captain of the ship, and I'm going down with it.
Speaker 2: I was one of the lifeboat workers that had to, you know, go down with the lifeboat but still lived. But yeah, still with.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm fully gone.
Speaker 2: I can't no that ain't you You're the guy your captain, bro, you were in No, no, no, Bill's a captain.
Speaker 1: Bill's a captain. I'm just a part of that band, playing my tune all the way.
Speaker 2: Oh he went down last and all Jackie, we got he leftovers we missed anything.
Speaker 5: Was like a quick question, or was did this year feel like a different Bill? Or like was there was there a reason we're writing on the wall. I don't want to you mean this past season. Yeah, I don't want to pry too.
Speaker 1: Much, but no, I'm retired. You know, this year was tough. It was challenging, and the one thing of anything that I saw was that we know how competitive Bill is. He wants to win, not just every game, he wants to win every practice, every meeting, every lifting session, and it was hard for him not to win. It was hard for all of us, but no one put more time and effort and commitment into that program than Bill, So it was certainly hard for him to you know, experience that. It was hard for all of us. I mean, you know, being in that building where we had so much success, to experience four and thirteen. It wasn't It wasn't fun. It was not fun. But the one thing I'll say about coach is he never changed. Like if you said in the team meeting week seventeen, we're playing the Jets, he's coaching us like it's the AFC Championship game. Like the consistency, the readiness, the preparation. It never changed, and that really gave me a great appreciation for who Bill Belichick is.
Speaker 2: I think he softened up. I'm just saying, I remember when I was on my way out, I'm like, the fuck's going on around here? His plays getting soft? He tried to change. That's the problem. He tried to change with the times.
Speaker 1: Coaches just want to be on record for saying, I don't you know, I stay with you, united coach united to the end. That doesn't me and I agree with everything.
Speaker 2: Had your back tilled.
Speaker 1: He didn't agree with everything.
Speaker 2: I did, but sure, you know, but things got a little softer when I went on my way out. I'm just joking.
Speaker 1: Were you saying, Are you implying that it was a Mickey Mouse operation?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not, Okay, I'm just saying things that just want to like sure, like guys, it wasn't the.
Speaker 8: Same Like did Kendrick Bourne ever throw a helmet?
Speaker 1: Oh, Kendrick Bourne and throwing our helmets soft? We didn't have a helmet thrower. That was a problem. I tried to toss mine one time. I just had a character, couldn't then pull it off. We needed Jaye. There was no je no j came to the risk.
Speaker 2: It was the first thing I first practiced, said come back like everyone's looking at me like he's gonna throw a helmet.
Speaker 5: Yes, we needed and then to wrap this thing up, we talked to Keep to leave. We talked to Wes Welker, and we talked Bill Belichick Slate with a great recall of a moment from twenty fourteen January twenty fourteen. Indeed, Wes Welker did hurt to Keep to leave on a pick play, and Bill was quoted telling Mike Grease one of the worst plays I've seen, the way it turned out. I went and I watched it back. I didn't have a clear chance to yesterday. It was a deliver played by the receiver to take out a keep.
Speaker 1: No attempt to say the Bill West rivalry it's out there, I think, fellas, can we just bridge the yaff here? Like you guys did a lot of great things together. But I've been agreeing with Bill. He had he was out for blood.
Speaker 5: Oh he was out for blood.
Speaker 1: It was personal, personal, and he took a key bout cost us the game. You know what, So, Wes, I hope you consid there and feel good and is Wes now coaching his players to do that? Is he coaching Tyree do that illegal picks? Guys? I hope not Wes. I player safety West player player safety te Belichick.
Speaker 2: Let's name the game. Let's name the game. Beat l A thirteen and three, The Passion of the Punt or the edel Nut Game. I think it's the passion of the punt.
Speaker 1: I mean, I love that name. I love all those names. But because we were Boston sports guys, and because LA, we just don't like LA, even though I'm from out of here. You gotta go beat l A.
Speaker 2: Howd you get one of the T shirts that we were selling, Remember the beat l A T shirt? Oh?
Speaker 1: I got all the merch, just making sure I got all them merch.
Speaker 5: Oh man, big time missed by me on this one. This was the same year the Red Sox beat the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Same year, so it was a big yeah in l A.
Speaker 4: And you beat the Chargers too.
Speaker 2: We beat the Chargers and.
Speaker 1: Everybody thought the Charger is gonna stomp us out stump and we just score beat the brakes off of them.
Speaker 2: I fell back because I liked Anthony Lynn. Yeah, I was forty. I liked it. I don't know why. I just liked Anthony Lynn.
Speaker 1: I did too. I like Anthony. I liked a lot of guys on that team. Pete riv obviously, Keenan Allen, Adrian Phillips, who Slayation beat l A. There it is La, it will forever be a Boston mantral A. Visit J eleven dot com to purchase your merchandise today, which is now just games, which is another thing you can't do if you don't win, is sell merchandise, games and names.
Speaker 2: Let's score the game presented by the win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor. Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score it. Steaks one to ten? What are Decimo's okay, slate one to ten? What are the stakes?
Speaker 1: I mean, steaks are always high in a Super Bowl. Legacies on the line, last, the life of the dynasty still alive, Bob, So she would say, it's still so I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say seven point.
Speaker 2: Eight integrity score. What I tell you guys, He's gonna have a very integrity type score. Star power, our power.
Speaker 1: I mean, you look at it. You've got some all time greats in this game. You've got the greatest player in the history of the game. You've got arguably the greatest defensive player in the history of the game. You've got the greatest tight end in the history game. You've got the greatest slot receiver in history of the game. Wes Welker played, Oh no, Wow, West was good. Wow, Wes was good. You've got we've talked about a key, we've talked about got. Star power is pretty high. So out of ten.
Speaker 5: Also, Maroon five played the halftime show last night pre game national anthem. Who glads Knight still last night? Still got it?
Speaker 6: At it?
Speaker 1: Well, gladys Knight's got to bring the score up by yourself. So we're to the star power eight point one eight point one slid gameplay game play, Well, you're asking the wrong guy. Special teams, game I mean gameplay, special teams. Why it's ten point zero. But I think overall gameplay, you know, and this is from a football guy who enjoys defense, enjoys grittiness. I'm gonna give that. I'm gonna give that gameplay an eight point nine eight point nine given an eight point.
Speaker 2: Nine defensive guy, son of an offensive guy, Special team all time great but going.
Speaker 1: But going to the defense, going to defense through football guy, true football guy.
Speaker 2: Name of the game, beat la beat l A.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, we're Boston people, right. My home is in Boston now, so we're gonna have to go We're gonna have to go nine. Oh I know on that, I know on the on the name.
Speaker 2: What's there total? If Gronk was here, he'd just be able to put it right out.
Speaker 1: He didn't. He is crazy with that. He is crazy with that. We did eight point four.
Speaker 2: Where does it land in the games that we have done?
Speaker 5: Oh? Man, this one puts us right between the twenty eleven AFC Divisional Round game aka the Can't Wait Game Jets For's Patrios. Oh, let's forget about that, oh Bart Scott can't Wait, and right behind the Seattle versus New England Super Bowl, the Malcolm Butler game, Super Blood wolf Moon. We did that one with Rob Wriggle. Yeah, remember that, one of our favorites.
Speaker 1: Yeah's was he a cop?
Speaker 5: He was a marine?
Speaker 1: He was a marine. That's what it was.
Speaker 5: He played a cop in the Hangover though he did he did that.
Speaker 1: He was a marine?
Speaker 6: Is he is?
Speaker 1: He hilarious person?
Speaker 2: So dude, We've had some really, we got some funny people who we just had uh Lewis black On here, he had some.
Speaker 1: Peoples, Gary Goleman was was funny.
Speaker 2: Was really We've got some comics, you know. You know, because we started the show with Sam, we've been kind of introduced into this whole comic world in all the comics, you know, and I've kind of developed relationships with these guys and yeah, they're so funny. Do you think you're like giggly, No, these guys are pros over here.
Speaker 1: Is just killing it. Just wait, I like the riddle big fan of.
Speaker 2: Ten minutes early was he prompt prompt marine.
Speaker 1: That's that marine and marine.
Speaker 2: He gave a marine coin, he gave his nice slate.
Speaker 1: Anything, Dad, we covered a lot.
Speaker 2: What about you know, maybe give a plug to the JC guy.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful thing, though, that a Jewish man and a Christian man can sit down and find common ground. I just want to say that that's one of the beautiful things about football. We find common ground. And there's a society. It would it would serve us all well to be able to find common.
Speaker 2: But we have one common goal in the locker room in society.
Speaker 1: Not everyone's in there. That's unfortunately have fun.
Speaker 2: That's unfortunately it's not having fun, it's winning at all cost. Thanks Bro, I appreciate you coming on.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Man, that was a great show.
Speaker 5: Slate is. You hear the stories about what a great guy Slate is and then he lives up to it, and then some in.
Speaker 2: Person, Oh you feel the greatness when he enters a room of his just pure aura.
Speaker 5: I can see why any locker room just instantly gets bet any room, you.
Speaker 2: Know, And it's it's so crazy because we literally came in. He was a year a year in and I came in. You know, we were the slap dicks just sitting there like he was saying, like, are we gonna make the team too? You know, he's he's probably he's probably gonna go in the Hall of Fame for being a special teamer.
Speaker 5: And I mean crazy to think he is the first father's on duo in there, captain, the captain, but.
Speaker 2: To play sixteen years?
Speaker 5: Do you think I wanted to ask him, but we didn't get a chance, Like do you think his career it was a unique career, an amazing career, would have been possible anywhere outside of New England.
Speaker 2: I don't know, probably just because of who he is.
Speaker 5: I think, so, you're right, But it's just like his his spirit and the guy that he is in the toughness that he brings and paired with bills, coaching and love for special teams like I love it.
Speaker 2: No, I mean we we didn't even get into Scotty O'Brien, which I wish we did a little more. You know, for the first four years of my career, me and Slate at like five or thirty in the morning had to go in and meet with Scottio and he would basically give us the presentation of what he was going to present to the team, the coaching points that everything we're going to install, that we're going to install this, and then we had to sit in. Me and Slate, we had to sit in every special team's unit, field goal, field goal, everything, just you know, and and hear it again.
Speaker 5: And you guys heard it first.
Speaker 2: Just the three half the time it'd be Scottio telling us we're going on the other halftime would be him talking about his boat and his big gas ranch and Wisconsin.
Speaker 5: Shoot.
Speaker 2: I got two million books in the bait now We're like two guys trying to make a team. Don't even have ten thousand dollars their name, Scottio at least flexing.
Speaker 5: He's flexing. Oh my god, that's incredible. And to see the near the stories the Domino's pizza boxes as the dining room or the coffee table. And Shane, yeah, well next time he'll be on live show maybe show and then what's to be sick?
Speaker 8: What's great about slaves? Like so much in sports media discourse, there's a lot to talk about, like, oh the honesty was just all Brady.
Speaker 4: Bill sucks.
Speaker 8: It's all Bill this and like to win at such a high level for so long. It's a building filled with guys like Matthew Slater. Great, right, and you need to have all those teams. I'm sure the Chiefs have their own version. If you plugged into you'd find those guys. So that's how you win championships. Is a building full of guys like that. I don't know if there's another one like yeah, just as I was saying that he is one of them.
Speaker 2: There's another person that only play special teams and men on every phase look up to him the way people look up.
Speaker 5: To Slate the world to be a lot better place if there are more Slates in the world.
Speaker 2: He would, you know, Chris long over here, Oh you know, I'd love them with my wife and kid. Well, Slate's actually in my trust. If I go down, and there's a few other things that have to happen. Slate is holding court on everything in the papers signed him. I had to have the auditor, the guy with the what is it the notary notary notary say you at the house notary? What's it for? Yeah, just don't worry. Due you're gonna run my life if I die.
Speaker 8: So if you ever go down, that's the first place you look with slates number one.
Speaker 2: Well, no, there's like there's like, there's a couple, there's a couple, there's a there's a few different like let's not talk about.
Speaker 8: Democracy, all right, let's let's go to the hot linette.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 5: I being in that and again that number for two four zero for two four two.
Speaker 2: Nine one to two nine zero, Like you said, Yeah.
Speaker 13: I'm a fifteen year old from Massachuset. Fis wondering what advice to give to a sixteen year old get in high school. That only different introduce on a.
Speaker 2: Sixteen year old. Vice advice on and off the field, On and off the field, Ignore noise, you know, ignore noise. There's always gonna be someone that says you can't do something like if you read any book or you hear any story about anyone that got anywhere that they had to deal with it, even the greatest look at Tom Brady. Always be ready to learn, and be hungry to learn, and and give max effort. Always. You know, even if you're the stud on the team, don't be the guy that runs this friends and doesn't take it serious because you know you could throw the best on the team, or you know, you want to be that guy like a Matthew Slater that you know is the badass on the team wins in the off season. Always, you know, that's the kind of guy you want to be. And and you'll go you'll go further, and it'll it'll help you in life. That's what I would say. That's that's good lifelong advice, best for retirement. Now compound interest.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, start a TikTok accounting being TikToker.
Speaker 10: Hey Jules, it's Boston taxi. Remember you was going home on your skateboard, on your motorized skateboard, and you took.
Speaker 7: That live turn around the corner of that blind corner you met my cav almost ran in your ass over you know what I mean. We dapted out and all that ship. It was that same season you got popped for you know, you know. But yeah, man, good to you know, check in on you to see how you doing. The look on the future and all that.
Speaker 2: Man, give me back Boston Taxi.
Speaker 5: I do remember that.
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 2: I was hitting this turn all my little motorized thing and he was coming I think it was Dartmouth or something, and it was a back alley of back bay or something. And he goes and I stop and he stopped and I went and I hit his cab. He looked at each other, He looked at me. I looked at him and I just said, oh, thank god, we didn't get that. And He's like, we tapped up and went on my way.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: You remember that for all these years.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 5: Check it in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was crazy.
Speaker 5: I'm good, bro, you used to fly on that thing.
Speaker 2: Fly.
Speaker 5: I'll tell I'll tell coach that.
Speaker 1: What I'm wondering, what your favorite team.
Speaker 7: Was to play.
Speaker 2: Favorite team to play probably how it honestly comes down to three, it would either be the Jets, Baltimore or Kansas City Jets, because you know, anytime it was Boston New York, it was always big. There's that rivalry.
Speaker 5: We usually won.
Speaker 2: We usually won. I usually had a lot of good stats, but no, like I loved going to New York and playing because you you know, you feel like you're you're driving in from New Jersey and you see the skyline in the city. It was just always a crazy Billy Joel Billy Jowels on the headphones. You know, just it was always fun. Kansas City because I remember playing them before they had Patrick. It was always, you know, a tough game. They always had like some really good football players in those and and years against you know, Mahomes and Kelsey. It's just they were the young gun team and we were like the old Vets. So like you always like stacking up against, you know, the best teams. And the Baltimore it was always a physical game. We played them so much in my early in my career, middle of my career in the playoffs, in the regular season. Always had a lot of respect for their players. You know, they came into our house and whipped our ass. You know, a couple of times you felt Baltimore. When you went to Baltimore. You got ray Lewis doing the war dance I did. I played against him when he was doing war dance, you know, on the team, and then every time we played and he didn't play, he was doing war dance, coming out.
Speaker 5: To smoke Ian, that whole thing. It's just fun.
Speaker 2: I liked playing in the competitive games, and then the Jets that's you know that that's one of our arrivals. So those those were the fun games I remember.
Speaker 9: But November twenty twenty twenty two, Jillette Stadium, Foxborough, Massachusetts, just visiting the Patriots, all time three to three after fifty nine and a half minutes, looking like overtime. Brayden Man squares up to kick the seventeenth punt of the game, but he left the ball over the middle of the field. Marcus Jones catches it starts to run back. This is the Marcus Jones game, Julian, This is Joe from Lynn Mass I was at this game. Even though it's stunk, it can be saved. A game can be saved. By a single play. The stadium was absolutely hyped after this. Me and my brother were their love the podcast. Everything You're do and keep it up, Bro, I like it.
Speaker 2: That was a great intro, great intro, love the guy, but absolute shit game.
Speaker 1: If we ever do this game, it's over.
Speaker 2: I mean he even said it's stunk.
Speaker 5: It's stunk.
Speaker 2: He was there.
Speaker 1: He was there.
Speaker 2: Lynn Mass stand up, Yeah, baby, stand up. That's a great That was a great calling.
Speaker 5: That was awesome. Great play by Marcus Jones.
Speaker 2: That was kind of maybe a joke joking. It's a good sense of humor meaning it was. I mean, he pulled it off. He played it straight. Rocky down boy heal. Sorry.
Speaker 5: It's fitting that we talk about a terrible game with a great special teams play in this episode.
Speaker 12: Jewels, I gotta know, Bro, I'm a die hard Raider fan. I just want you to admit on air for me, in all.
Speaker 7: Raider nations, please admit that that was a fumble.
Speaker 2: Love the content, Bro, he's talking Brady, He's.
Speaker 4: Gotta be talking about the Mac Jones, No, Kobe Myers. It has to be that right.
Speaker 5: Oh my god. The Debacle in the Desert, the annex.
Speaker 4: Section of where we go, he's he's talking about Charles Winson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course that was a fumble in the book, the rings already out boys, regardless of it was a fumble.
Speaker 1: What doesn't get talked enough with that game is the two field goals Terry.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, it was insane.
Speaker 5: Any intentional for movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he's attempting to tug it back towards his body. It was in the rule book at the book.
Speaker 4: What else do you want? It's a bad book.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's been changed since you can only play the rules as they play. Amen. That might have been John Gruden putting on a voice calling in still salty over that one.
Speaker 2: He's probably salty over a lot of things. Well, what an episode and thanks again to Slate. That's been another great episode of Games with Names, presented by Win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you listen to your podcast, comment a game you want us to do and remember rate review. Remember to follow Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat. Leave a message on that old hotline bling I know that, Linelan, if you have that good game four two four two nine one two two nine zero four two four two nine one two two nine zero, See you guys next week later. Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.