Speaker 1: Well bow, we are back.
Speaker 2: We are ready to recap episode three of the inaugural season of Dancing with the Stars. The next pro already three episodes in.
Speaker 3: It is getting spicy.
Speaker 2: It is like getting spicy. They did not hold back this episode. Speaking of spice, one of us made some headlines from their takes last week, and don't I don't love pointing out which one of us it was, but I will say it was not the one of us that came in.
Speaker 1: Eighth place last season.
Speaker 2: So what are you feeling when you wake up and see Valschmerkovsky headlines?
Speaker 3: I got nervous, do you? I mean? I mean, yeah, listen, I don't. I don't want to hurt a people's feelings.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: So whether those are the feelings of the person I'm discussing, or the family of the people, or the people that love the person I'm discussing, you know, it's not I mean, it's hard to say it's not personal because I'm literally speaking about the person. But this is just my reflection. You don't got to take it either. I'm not like banging my chest saying that this is the truth. This is what I see and in my from where I'm standing there's you know, my perspective and what kind of value I would want to give this person. Yes, you know, I'm not here to knock anybody down. So when I see it, I'm conflicted because I want to end I'm like, I didn't want to ruffle those feathers. But on the other end, I'm mom. You know, I'm happy people are listening, tuning in and are excited to you know, broad in their ballroom dance perspective, dancing to the star's perspective.
Speaker 2: Well, I love that you stand on your business because you know what is for the show, and you're not saying anything that isn't something you would say to their face.
Speaker 3: No, I would say, yeah, you would say it to their face. Totally, totally. I mean, and if you can't, you know, that's a very cowardly way of going about sharing your thoughts about someone. All the thoughts that I share publicly or thoughts that I would share privately to that person. Now, certain private thoughts should stay private, but this isn't one of those cases. This is a show that's broadcast, it's millions of people right now, and this is someone that's trying to win the position and the opportunity to work alongside myself and other pros. Yeah. So yeah, free game, baby.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Also, anybody who listened to our show and then looks at the headlines also knows they are also a lot of clickbait.
Speaker 3: No, totally, totally, and and that's the frustration. Yeah, and I appreciate that for the most part, people took the time to understand in the broader context and my delivery. I just think it's important. You know, it's yes, of course, it's what you say that's important. But how you say, at what time you say, the effort that you put into thoughtfully say it, I think also matters.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Dancing with the Stars the next Pro Season one, episode three, we open with a recap of episode two. For those keeping score at home, Benji was eliminated, Robert our host and judges Surely and Mark ballast enter and Robert gets a wellness check from the contestants. Everyone agrees that it has been a tough journey so far, and Mark reminds them sometimes you have to be selfless to make your celebrity look good. And that's some pretty good advice, right, Well totally.
Speaker 3: I mean that's the mantra of Bullram dance. As far as you know, from the masculine side, we are taught, if we are taught by good teachers from day one, that our job is to present our partners, our ladies. And you know, so much of the movement is inspired by that philosophy, and I think I spoke on it last week when I talk about the shadow position. Whenever we have side by side choreography, the male is always in shadow position. And because of that philosophy, not because he's sacrificing anything, but just because these are the roles that we are playing together here in this in this team activity of bone dance. That's why I said what I said about Benji and his role in the room. But that doesn't mean that he couldn't shine in that style. Of course he could, but that wouldn't be the style that strategically he shined the brightest thing. That's so it's all relative. These are all excellent dancers, but it's how great you are next to the guy next to you or the girl next to you. So I loved what Mark said, and yeah, I'm excited. I wanted to get into this episode because there's a lot of redemption as far as you know we spoke about aj I have you know, I think I'd surprise some listeners about my perspective on him this episode. And yeah, the new drama that unfolds. I just love how much drama is in this show.
Speaker 2: It is drama filled. Yeah, it started right from the beginning. It was the moment we have all been waiting for. Our guest judge, the wonderful Britt Stewart arrives in a stunning red dress with a troop behind her. Contestant Selena is thrilled to see her. We've heard from Selena before that Britt is her favorite pro. She's talked about the fact that there's not a lot of black ballroom dancers represented on TV, and so Britt is one of the main reasons she's.
Speaker 1: Invested in the show.
Speaker 2: And I have heard from all of you many times that Britt is not only one of the world's best dancers, but that she is a very gifted choreographer. And we saw it here. What do you want to say about the queen that is Britt's class class?
Speaker 3: And I think Britt, it's synonymous with Brit Stewart is the word class class. The way she handles herself and the way she communicates, which I love because I think the you know, that group of Next Prosy, they got a sense of what a certain professionalism feels and sounds like how you conduct yourself in the room, which was incredible. So Brit did a great job team dances. What else? Yeah, I mean, she's an incredible choreographer. I'm excited for this challenge. I think it's perfect that we touch on kind of just a different a different challenge and how that highlights the different qualities and different people who can work in a team. And otherwise as far as I guess, you know, back to Brit trailblazing. Yes, there's not enough black and brown representation in ballroom dance. Yeah, you know, I'm not naive to the fact that it's an exclusive you know, besides the popularity of it, it's an expensive activity. Shout out to Pierre Delaine who take the lead. Is based on that movie with Antonio Benderiz. You know, this is a dancer that dedicated himself to teaching and after school programs all over the public school system in New York City, the Greater New York City area. Again what the movie is about, and he introduced partner dancing to a community that otherwise just doesn't have access to that totally. You know, I try to find time to do the same. I'm inspired by that, you know, the Latin. It's ironic to me that I'm a professional Latin dancer. You know, this is a community that adopted this Ukrainian kid, and I'm enjoying a very fruitful career because of it. So I try to feel compelled to give back to that community who dances authentically but never gets access to a high level of education in the sport. So I think that's why I'm excited for Britt when she joined the Kios and the Brandons and hopefully you know, the Sosas and more and more, you know, like I said, I love the fact that Schermerkovsky's Chigiences and Subchenko's and all these Eastern European names. But it's fun to see, like I said, the black and brown community represent another show.
Speaker 2: Well said Well, Britt performs to a cover of All shook Ups, surrounded by the troop, and as always, she's magical. Robert is equally impressed, and Britt announces the challenge for the week. It involves the ever popular element of dancing with the stars, the group dance, most notably those big show openers you guys are famous for. Now, now, as someone who has participated in these numbers now for years, tell the listener what it's like prepping for the who choreographs?
Speaker 1: How long do you have?
Speaker 2: Like, are you also doing this right alongside all your celeb work and choreographing for that week and the next week?
Speaker 3: Totally? Totally No, it's a huge undertaking, but it's exciting, you know. To me, it's an opportunity for us to first of all, become a student, to be directed by a choreographer that's invited. Sometimes yes, it's in house, right, so it's one of the pros taking the lead choreograph and a big number. But it's not me doing the prepare you know the prepare work, right, I'm just showing up and I'm total what to do. And typically it's really cool dance moves. The issue is that it's at six in the morning on a Friday, Oh my gosh, and it's three hours and you have three hours to learn the entire piece and shoot the wide and the wide is kind of the final take for the director production and everybody to kind of you know, figure out how to compliment it. If it's a Friday and it's a Tuesday show, you understand how important that Friday three why it is right? And so that pressure was really well communicated in the challenge. I love that. I love that they got a chance to really feel the pressure and the pressure of doing it clean right now. Yeah, I mean that's the process. But they did a great job. I mean, you saw how again. I have so many sports analogies, but really it's whether it's sports or in anything high pressure. Sorry that it is so loud out in the studio in the closet, I know.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 2: You are at the time, obviously, and tell them to shut.
Speaker 1: Up, open that door.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, simmer down, we're doing a podcast here.
Speaker 1: Gosh, work doesn't stop for some of us.
Speaker 3: They flipped me off. You can't hear it, but but I could see.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, send them, send them a leaf.
Speaker 3: I will.
Speaker 2: This week, we got a little bit of a shocker because the contestants are told that they are going to recreate the dance they just saw Britt perform. That's a nice little surprise.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: And then we get a confession interview from contestant Adele, who admits that her background is in competitive ballroom, not group, so she's feeling nervous. How are these two totally different skills? It's always okay, why why?
Speaker 3: That's why again, you it's so hard to cast for the show is because there's so many different hats that you have to perfect and specialize in that you wear on the show. It's a very unique hybrid of a ballroom dance professional. Yeah, so competitive ballroom dance you're perfecting pretty much the same seven moves. And I say that loosely obviously, but it's about execution. It's like figure skating in the Olympics. Yes, there's some artistry, but really you're trying to get to the heavy hitters, right, who can hit the four axle whatever, Who can do the thing and the thing. That's what competitive ballroom dances. But that's where you get, you know, the good ones, not the ones that dabbled in it, but the ones that really competed and won you. You could see the velocity, you can see it, but there's very few. There's very little time for artistry, creativity or individuality. You kind of find that in between the cracks. But really you are just executing excellence, and it's really a game of millimeters, and hopefully you have a little bit of a performer in you as well. Then that sets you know, if you got a little swag, little seasoning too, all that mastery, you're killing it. But again, we're not exercising constantly different languages, hearing the same song and challenging yourself to speak a different language to the body. We have one language, not even a language, one dialect, and we just speak it to the best of all. That's competitive ballroom dance, right, you know, then you have a then you have the broader convention dance kid that now you know I've been a part of for seven years with Jen, we teach at a convention for many years. That's how I know Selena. I know Selena for a long time too, not from the ballroom competitive world, but I know I've seen her shine for a long time at the highest level, but at the highest level of speaking languages like jazz and ballet and enough hip hop and enough tap to you know, to really be a master of all of these languages, even at a young age. So that's why when we get into this episode and I see the clashes of those worlds Right now, the ego start to play, right, this kid won Black Bull and this girl won this and this, But they're looking at Selena, and Selena's like, girl, I've been the one for a very long time in a very big world. You've just never been a part of it, right, And these are the qualities that I bring to the table, which is picks up choreography in five seconds. That's a discipline that is exercised over time. Yeah, you know, even if the movement is foreign for her body, you could see that she's still picking it up and downloading it very quickly and is ready to perform. Whereas for borum dancers, because it's the same routine you're you're really working on for years. Yeah, yeah, years. Imagine your Cha cha or your fox shot. But you did it not for three days, then performed in front of millions, then forgot it. You did it for ten months before you and saw a competition for it.
Speaker 2: I for sure would have been able to do more than just open my arm if I had ten months.
Speaker 1: Well maybe not that.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm saying, well, no, you did so much more in just four days. But you I don't know if that relates to other things. I mean, it's like baseball, and it's not like baseball and banana bal but like you got to be an entertainer too. And then there's a third flip which is very important, which is now a whole difference. I guess quality that separates the next people, and that's teaching of you. You could be a superstar. Not all great professionals translate as well in coaching. You see that in sports, you see that in dance. Yeah, I mean, you could be an incredible performing that has natural ability that you just you don't even know how to explain. You're like, I don't oh, I just feel it, and some people just feel it that you can't communicate that, you can't teach that. And sometimes the dancers that never really were the special ones that had to really work hard, really had to come up with philosophies on how to go from A to B right, those end up being sometimes the best coaches, the best teachers. They've done a lot more analysis. And then on top of that experience, if you've never if you've never been nervous about charging people money for forty five minutes of your time, then you don't know that sense of responsibility right, besides their time, their money, their expectation, the studios expectation, you know, meeting those pressures when you walk in and you meet a stranger and on the spot, you have to know how to communicate, how to analyze, and how to give feedback, and then how to execute that feedback and make that person be a little better.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: If you've never done that part, not performed, not dance, not but that part, then you are, Yeah, you're in for a real treat here on dancing with the start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a good point. Well.
Speaker 2: With that, the hopefuls leave for group rehearsal, where Britt swings by and starts teaching the number. She focuses mostly on synchronicity and spatial awareness. We see some immediate spills and mistakes, most notably by Adele, who kind of predicted that she was going to have issues here. Natalie seems to be thriving. She likes working together. She's fast paced with choreo, as does Selena. And the first session ends and the girls hang back for more prep and we see some headbutting between Selena and Nina, which is never a great sign for group numbers.
Speaker 3: Here's so we'll get to the selena. They got get to that beat. Oh, we fully get into the human part of this thing. Back to the dance. You know, the important things as far as going into a group number. You have to be clean and precise and you know, allude back to what Mark said, it's like when you serve the bigger collective, you look better. And that's the whole point. It's not about you standing out in this particular moment in time. It's about you become in uniform with your team and man, you got to be a certain person for that as well. You got to a be disciplined enough to want to be to be clean and take those directions. But you also have to have the humility to think about the broader group. And a lot of people don't prioritize that at all, especially on our show where you have cuts of camera. You know, selfish dancers, they'll just wait for that cut and then be back to you know. No, it's about sacrificing yourself for the for the greater good, at least in these group dances. And I think that's another quality that the Convention world teaches because there's a lot of studio group numbers and those those teachers are sticklers. I mean, if we said forty five, then it's forty five every time, not when I feel it, not when I know. It's very robotic when it comes to executing those things. OK. And in the born world, we don't have that. Yeah, it's about individuality, it's about your team, your partner. But really that's that's where it ends. And then it's about setting yourself apart from all of these other copies doing the same seven steps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Hold on, we're not going to skip We're not going to skip over the Salina.
Speaker 2: Nina well to see them the way they are talking to each other. You know what, I think Nina suffers from a little bit of what I think I suffer from in my personal life, which is I don't hear my tone always, which I think she in her mind, I think she thinks she's just saying something in a factual way and doesn't hear that she's saying it and what comes across as a patronizing way.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I mean I have a very renowned sibling that that you know about his delivery sometimes.
Speaker 2: And if you don't hear it, if you like I don't think Max and I can do it too.
Speaker 1: I don't think Max or I hear it.
Speaker 3: No, no, and and totally and yes, you're completely right, Nina is you know watching her, I know exactly who that is, not because I know who she is, but I know that prototype of an individual and not who box her in. But I grew up in the Eastern European tri state Brooklyn, New York, New Jersey Philly area. You know, I understand that there's very little time for nuance and explanation. It's like, this is what I want, this is how I feel. Do you want something else? Tell me cool. I'm not gonna ask you. I'm not gonna say please and thank you. Let's just get it. And why I said southern galvocause' selena as far as I understand as a Southern Cali girl, very respectful, very you know, I mean, she's competitive, but it's I mean, Jen and I have these conversations all the time, you know, where I'm just having a conversation. She's thinking that we're we're having a confrontation, right, But having all said all that, that's yeah, that's not that's not what happened though, And that's not an excuse. And I'm gonna just shout it out. Nina was incredibly selfish and unprofessional. And it's funny coming off of a week with the Benji situation not learning a single thing about humility, you know. So again, I don't want this podcast and everything I owe my feedback to be about humility because we will get to a juh. It's a huge quality you're working. At the end of the day, this isn't your show. You are part of a collective and I'm just telling you and you could you know, vouch for that. Yeah. In this business, for every talented person, there's one hundred other talented people, right, It's all about how you make people feel around you and what you're like working with because if it's not good, like if it hurts working with you, next yeah you're thrankfully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are one hundred people ready to take your spot.
Speaker 3: And on the flip side, that's why you have a culture breeding like yes man and yes no. Look it's a balance, man, Yeah, it's a balance. You have to be proud for sure and have self respect of course after you earn it. Yeah, yeah, you know, and right now you just started so I just feel like, yeah, and I guess we'll get to it. Because in the house they have a conversation and Salina kind of like brings that up one more time, and here's an opportunity to just be like, oh man, I hear you. Wow, Okay, listen, those are not my intentions. I know this is a competition, but I'm not trying to be that person. If I was that person, I'm sorry. That's not what I met.
Speaker 1: When they talk about it at the house though.
Speaker 2: The look on her face genuine shock though, because she didn't think that's where it was going. And that's what made me realize. I don't think she hears herself at all. I don't think when we watch it and you see it, you're like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: She cut her off.
Speaker 2: She wasn't letting Selena finished sentences. She was saying things with a really like no, what I mean is and we hear it. I don't think she hears it. I don't think she's I don't think she's perceiving herself.
Speaker 3: You're giving her a lot of grace, and I am.
Speaker 2: I am because when she went to see the look of shock on her face, I could tell like, oh, she she wasn't aware that she had been you know, she doesn't hear herself, and so I think, then, you know, I hope that when she's like, wow, two weeks back to back, I've been told, I will be interested to see if next week, if she has a different delivery, or if she's just never gonna learn from her.
Speaker 1: We're rooting. I'm rooting for all of them. We all this is a this is a journey.
Speaker 3: Of selfic if it happens again, we were rooting for you.
Speaker 1: We were roading exactly.
Speaker 2: So then we get some alone time with Tristan, and he's admittedly having trouble. Britt is concerned with what she is seeing not only from Tristan but from Nina as well. Stephanie, however, is very comfortable.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing. It's like, you cannot be the weakest link in talking to most smack right, you cannot. Yes, you're right again, we don't get to AJ.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're just dangling the care of AJ. You can't wait, we can't wait. So Stephanie is comfortable. Group is old hat to her, especially since she was in the IRL season thirty three troop.
Speaker 1: This is her wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: But then she accidentally smacks Natalie right in the face. Clearly, this is a freak accident, but the impact was serious. Can we talk about group dance injuries? How common are they?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they happen. Look, that's spatial awareness. And I know the contact happened from Stephanie to Natalie.
Speaker 1: But Natalie was in the wrong spot.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, this is a fifty to fifty collision, right right, Yeah, you know so yeah, I mean that was a really I mean unfortunate moment, but a great TV moment as well, because you saw Stephanie really you know, you saw a real emotion there and it stinks to be in that position and it happened. It just I don't recall anything like that on our show. Right, People get hurt, people get hit, but to ye be injured like that, Yeah, that was the first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it escalates pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Britt brings out an ice pack and she's already Natalie is already developing a black eye, her hands get tingly and she is in a lot of pain. And then outcome the producers. Stephanie feels terrible. We see her doing an interview and she is crying and it just basically stinks all around. Yeah, and then here comes the ambulance, Natalie is given pain meds and she is taken out on a stretcher. So then minus Natalie story is back to practice. I know, well we had it in season thirty four of Dancing with the Stars. We also had an ambulance and a stretcher moment with Elaine.
Speaker 3: Some dances a contact sport.
Speaker 1: I mean, it really is.
Speaker 2: We saw the amount of injuries I saw you guys deal with on tour. Yeah, what you're able to still do after? I mean you had you went to the emergency room, you had vertigo, you.
Speaker 3: Needed to have cool.
Speaker 1: I mean that's not as cool.
Speaker 2: You had to have your crystals shaken back into place or whatever.
Speaker 1: So crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I mean again, it's it's like the injuries tend to be you know, ligaments or or joints. It's from not wear and tear, but certain things like that. Yeah, very rarely do we get rocked in the head or the face and have to sit out, you know. And I think this tour, Britt got quote an elbow to the face.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, you in the eye.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. Yeah. So again, I mean this high energy, there's a lot of adrenaline and again those three hour rehearsals. You really don't have a lot of time. So yeah, I mean, it happens.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It's just so wild too to see a fellow contestant, okay, a stretcher. All right, guys, we've got an hour and fifteen minutes now, you got to get right back to it, right, yeah, you, let's not think about it.
Speaker 1: We got to get back to dance.
Speaker 3: I'd just be strategically out of place all the time. I'm just the only one left.
Speaker 1: It's just me. Everyone get out of way.
Speaker 2: So Nina is working on her timing, something that was criticized in week one, and she is feeling the pressure, and then Britt has a huge surprise for the group. It's time to perform right now. They've had three hours to learn the dance, which is the amount of time you pros get to learn the opening number for the show. I am completely unwell at the thought of that. I don't know how you guys do it, but surely and Mark walk in and that's right, the real judges will be watching, and the contestants are freaking out. No one feels like they're at one hundred percent, and aj is worried this is going to be a surprise elimination. Yeah, did you think someone was going to go home right now?
Speaker 3: Yes? Okay, yes and no, yes if Natalie wasn't if Natalie was still there, I think the plans words to eliminate somebody. Then.
Speaker 2: Ah, interesting, that's a lot of things TV for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they pulled an audible, but it also revealed a real big moment with Kristen. And yeah, they did get a chance to perform it, and they did get the feedback and they got saved.
Speaker 1: Yes they did, but they waste no time.
Speaker 2: The dance starts to all shook up and we start seeing some issues quickly. What were your thoughts watching the group dance? I was still very impressed because I can't believe that you guys could do a whole number like that in just three hours. But were you impressed or did you see lots of cracks?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I saw a lot of I mean I could be both. I was impressed because it wasn't an easy routine and it is hard to pick everything up in three hours. I'm also not you know, like I said, we typically at six in the morning when we're learning these things, and certain choreography gets more complicated than others for what they were given. You know, it's intermediate advance in the sense of like the challenge, and I thought they did great for the most part, from beginning to the end. They did it. But then, yeah, you see the cracks. You see certain people just not not being ready for that moment, you know. Unfortunately Tristan was one of those people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cuts right to the chase and she asks who the weakest link was and surely notes that Tristan was entirely off time wise, and Mark points out that Nina was too, And it feels like they are about to be kicked off the show, but instead brit says they will not be on the chopping block just yet. There will be a second challenge where they could redeem themselves. The dancers huddle and Tristan is visibly upset, and it's very nice to see everyone who comes and supports him, including Mark and Shirley.
Speaker 1: It's a nice little moment. Yeah, yeah, have.
Speaker 2: You ever have you ever been the emotional one in a group of dancers that need some some hugs?
Speaker 3: Was I receiving the hugs? Yeah? I in private? You cry the shower, Yeah, go in a closet, do a podcast. And cry cry, yeah, I mean, it happens again. It happens, but it's been happening, so I know, you know, it's like, yeah, so I could just I could already see it. You know, these challenges are a weekly challenge. It's not like, you know, and now, choreograph one thing you're going to do one time. No, no, no, this is like every week. This is baseline. You have to be able to pick it up and then you have to be able to execute it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That night back at the house, everyone admits this has been tough, and it breaks down a bit when Selena says that she thinks Nina doesn't have respect for her. Nina apologizes, but does not fully agree with the critique.
Speaker 3: Is that called an apology?
Speaker 1: You know, I wouldn't really call it. She's like, I'm sorry you felt that way. That's what she says. I'm sorry you.
Speaker 2: Felt that way, which is not really an apology.
Speaker 3: I will say this, I mean, including Nina, like so many great characters, like if I'm just looking at the sh show for the show's sake, it's so good and they did a great job. I mean, and they're also dynamic, whether they're qualified or not. I like this show. I liked them and how much they're willing to be themselves. I also like that, so you know, for better or for worse. Yeah, that exchange was I already told you, you know, lack of awareness just not and that's okay. I mean I didn't I wasn't born Aristotle. You know, this took years to refine, so hopefully.
Speaker 1: That wasn't built in a day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, no, there's just just not reading the room, not reading the rehearsal room or that room.
Speaker 1: They may have cut it, of course.
Speaker 3: But totally and I want to give her that grace too.
Speaker 2: They I would have wondered if she I mean I would have liked to have seen her ask other people around her, did you did? Did I seem like I was being disrespectful to you? And I would have loved for other people.
Speaker 3: Well you see and reacts that people are like, why, yes, she's not really even Yeah, so that that's for me. That's a collective when she's when Selena says it, people weren't like I know only you felt that. So anyway, Yeah, well I've got to watch you gotta watch the show.
Speaker 1: It's so good. You gotta see what comes next.
Speaker 2: Uh So, Nina is not sure how to work this out, but she says she'll bite the bullet and push through the uncomfortable feelings.
Speaker 1: And have you ever been in a.
Speaker 2: Group dance situation with a majority of people you don't feel like you get along with?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure those dynamics are difficult, totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean again, that's just the world doesn't revolve around me, and it doesn't necessarily is filtered through my lens. And you know, I've I had one time that I was offered a gig and one time I flexed the Okay, i'll do it, but if so and so doesn't person there. Yeah, and they honored that because I was you know, a big deal and that was awful and I would never do that again. I haven't obviously ever done that again.
Speaker 2: But did you feel that way right away, like when you then went into the situation, did you immediately regret having done it?
Speaker 1: Or is it something that with time?
Speaker 3: Because I don't want to be of influence, you know, I don't want to use my influence to take something away from people. I want to give it to people. Now, granted, taking that place away from that person gave that place to somebody with a better attitude and just a more generous spirit when it comes to whatever I was doing. But I just don't want to get it to that. I never want to conduct myself that way. But I haven't said that. Back to the original conversation, regardless of what field you are, it's about how you make people feel right, and a lot of times, unfortunately people never even I'm not going to even say that to your face. The fact that Selena, for instance, in this Nina situation, not to kind of be the same conversation, but the fact that she even addressed it and was like, hey, this is how I feel. You're not even going to get that right. Typically you're just gonna bless your heart, you know, and walk away. And it's just like, I never want to work with that person again, right, you know. So I try to treat people with kindness. I try to also be an example of that, but but yeah, you got to show up the right attitude.
Speaker 2: It's now day two of rehearsals. Robert and Britt arrive and Natalie is still out, which is obviously going to put her at a major disadvantage. They announced Challenge number two is creating a group dance, and I had a real Leonardo DiCaprio meme moment here where I was pointing at the screen because we got to see our group dance from season thirty four, and I my group dance experience was it's maybe my favorite week of the entire show.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was very interesting to see the way you all work together. So I wasn't on your team, so not you, but the pros that were on my team. Seeing the way you guys communicate with each other when you take a lead versus when you decide to let other people share their perspectives on it and then decide to take a step back. I felt like the pros that I had were Everyone was very open to constructive criticism. Everyone wanted to make sure everyone was shining. It was just it was the most fun. It was also very overwhelming because it was very fast, and I was on a team of celebs that included Jordan Chiles.
Speaker 1: And Whitney Levitt. We have Robert and Dylan, so I mean I.
Speaker 2: Have three of five who ended up being finalists, and I'm the.
Speaker 1: Weakest link of the girls. I also have Danny.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, I'm like, no.
Speaker 2: It was it was it was so I and I was team captain because I had been in like I was the lowest standing.
Speaker 1: It was all very overwhelming.
Speaker 2: It was a lot to handle, but it still ended up being my favorite week because I just loved seeing the way everybody worked together. And also I had a basically an emotional meltdown right before we went to go shoot the group dance, and Mark literally grabbed me by the shoulders and was like.
Speaker 1: Danielle, you've got to get it together.
Speaker 2: And he's like, take a deep breath with me, and he like breathed, He like basically put me through a little meditation, and then I was like, I've got this, and I feel like the dance number went off without hitch, so I it.
Speaker 3: Was really good. It was a great Glasses It was.
Speaker 1: Great. Did you have a good time in the group dance last year?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Those are the best times, you know again, because especially for the celebs, his experiences is about also building camaraderie with the team beyond you and your partner. Obviously, that is the core relationship you build, but those team dances the first time in the season that you really get to be in the room for a while. You see everybody's process. That's the other thing that I don't know how Mark does this thing until that group dance, if we have it, I don't know how. That's why going through the troop I think is really beneficial for you know, an upcoming pro because of that, because you see everybody's process and it's just so invaluable. Yeah, you're going into this, you know, and so team dance is a reflection of that. It just shows, like, you know, I learned a lot in those rooms from the times I shared team dances Derek and Mark and Max and you know, the the Lindsay's and Jenna's brilliant Like just you just see who's nice with it, you know, and how they do it, and who's just like not phased by the process, which leads me to the next process, I mean conversation my guy a j you know, it's like still so cocky, so cocky, but you know what's you know, the only thing that's more important in the room than humility is decisiveness, you know, and and that arrogance creates a decisiveness that is crucial especially for that challenge came in Boom boom boom. You know, it's like what you what I criticized the week before in this, in this you know, the matter of fact way that he spoke to Selena, went about choreographing his stories, piece of winning the you know, all of these things mm hmm. But on the flip side, some of the hardest things in those rooms under time drest are making decisions. And this is not a creative process. This is not a uh I don't want to make it political, but this is not socialism. This is authoritarian. This is a regime. Again, you want to workshop ideas And I say that only because I go the other way. I love camaraderie. I love, obviously leadership, but I love leading by inspiring the people around me. And so I love the town hall meeting of what do you think? But why don't we just fly out of the thing? What about you? And I think this should be orange? And what about you? And you know? And then forty five minutes later like, no, we're not getting a zip line, we're not getting that. None of this is practical and we just wasted an hour, right you know, yeah, where the rooms where? Like For instance, Derek is very effective in a team dance environment because he came guns blazing with no apologies. Yeah, he came in. Hey, if you know him, you just know how you know, it's like he has one thought before the ends he goes into the next one. Yeah, we could start here, and then we can start, and then we could do you know, no, no, never mind, and it's like five six, seven eight, and we're doing, and so you're you're making decisions while doing, and that is always in the in every creative field, in any field. I think, start, yeah, just starting, you're gonna have a lot of bad ideas. Start moving, yeah, you know, And I thought back to Aj, I gotta give him props. He led the way and he did a great job. He made a great you know, he led the way on a great final performance. We'll get to that, but overall, great decision making, very decisive props he'd took that episode for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, just like in season thirty four where Andy and I were the bottom two and then we were made we were made team captains for the group dance. Nina and Tristan are captains, and Nina drafts in this order Alan aj and the Rules, Royce, Adele, and Tristan picks Stephanie Selena and Eric. Nina's team is going to do the tango and Tristan gets the pasa. Dobley Aj is most at home with the tango, so Nina puts him in charge of the dance, which is a big step for her to give up control. And this obviously does seem to be his wheelhouse and he is taking on a lot of risk as the brains of the operation and Tristan's team Pasa will let the entire team form things together, but Selena expresses concern with him just shutting down.
Speaker 1: She thinks he.
Speaker 2: Should step up as the cat. What did you think about the way Tristan handled being team captain in this scenario.
Speaker 3: I mean, here's the challenge, Like when you're not under prepared, but when you are like in over your head, you can shrink that distance with preparedness and then like really you hear those stories, you know, catch me if you can. It became an attorney like by like you got to do extraordinary, You got to put an extraordinary effort into something and you could bridge that gap of just not being in over over your head. Right, he didn't have that, Like I've been in over my head before. I was asked to choreograph something like season one, I was like a group number I have, how do you? Where do I start? But I had I had a chance to prepare, overpare, ask advice, blah blah blah, and then by the time I got in the room, I already had something to work with. He didn't have that. And so this is a combination of not having the tools and then not having the the ability to over prepare for something that you weren't ready for. As far as the other team with AJ, you know, again, Nina made an executive decision not out of humility, but because she was also in over her head and she saw somebody that had confidence in what he was doing. And I was like, sure, yes, yes, go ahead, and I'll call her out again. I mean, man, she's really getting in this episode. I'll call her out when they were standing in line, and it's you know, and here's the thing. It's like, when you delegate responsibility to somebody else, then you better praise that somebody else and not take not take credit. And you see when they're asked, so, who choreographed this routine? You know, Adele right away starts to turn to AJ and she starts to say, well, we all contributed and we just kind of let agent oh Aj took it over from beginning to the end, which is fine. Yeah, I know, this is a competition. The hardest thing about Dancing with the Stars is having the mental strength and the emotional strength to go the distance on their incredible pressure. Yeah, and you're see that the challenges are just another challenge. Yeah, they're all very important.
Speaker 2: But like you said, you better give credit where credit is due and being able to let go of your ego enough to say, oh, you want me to do what I was team captain, what was best for me and the team this week is to let this expert in tango take over. And that's what we That's what I decided to do. And he so he did the choreography. They would have they wouldn't They wouldn't have knocked her for that, great good idea. You had someone who was ready, willing and able to step in and do a better job than you were, and you could learn from him and that's what you will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, that's what you should do.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that was just I mean, I'm being petty now, but that was a moment I caught too it's like, no.
Speaker 1: That's not petty. I am right there with you.
Speaker 2: I always love to make sure it gets their credit excellent.
Speaker 1: Yes, rolls Royce, hold that, uh huh.
Speaker 3: She You know. It's interesting. It's like the people that are most willing to give credit are the ones that typically are the most brilliant. You know. It's like maybe brilliant is a big word, but it's like, yeah, of course you just demand credit when you you know, you've lost sleep over something. Yeah, totally fight for credit. But I don't understand people that aren't generous with their credit, that aren't enthusiastically looking forward to the opportunity to give somebody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I right there with you.
Speaker 2: Well, after a little bit of practice, it's time for the competition. The contestants are all dressed up, and I recognize some of those beautiful outfits and we are in the ballroom.
Speaker 1: The judges are in place, but Natalie is not there.
Speaker 2: Robert says he will explain her absence a little later. First up is Team Pasa Dobla, Tristan, Selena, Stephanie and Eric. Shirley asks who took the lead with choreography, and they say they worked it out as a team and then we see the dance to Lenny Kravitz. Are you going to go my way? What did you think of Team Pasable?
Speaker 3: By the way, both teams that are a great job? Yeah, they did, both did a great job. I thought, again, man, am I really showing my bias here? But like I thought they were a bit uh. I didn't agree with the criticism of Selena, Okay, I didn't think she was the weakest link at all. I know she was great, So that was that was weird.
Speaker 1: A little surprising you to see her in the bottom two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but everything else, yeah, I mean it was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought it was good. Every thought it was great too.
Speaker 3: Everybody's good. I know, it's all relative. Good is relative to great yep. So it's like good is not good enough sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing that's hard is being able to evaluate is this good enough?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Or am I tripping about perfecting something that's already great? Or no it's not good enough. It's good for that, but it's not good for this. So I think that was the case. I don't know if I'm making sense, but it was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other one was a bit more polished and just exceptional.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, the judges were not impressed with Team Pasa Dooble. They wanted more.
Speaker 2: They liked the beginning, but Britt felt like they were out there as individuals and Tristan felt a little lost. Mark didn't like Selena's spatial awareness and surely noted weak knee walks, which felt like a real batman symbol from a boy here. I felt like that was a real uh shout out to our boy val.
Speaker 3: This knee walks, she said, walks.
Speaker 2: She thought they had weak knee walks, and I was like, we know somebody who us had to do a new walk.
Speaker 3: I know someone I gotta lucky with the epic camera egg.
Speaker 1: Nah, don't you dare. Look at you with your effusive credit.
Speaker 2: Look at you see you're putting it in, putting it into play right here, credit to the director. But no, those are incredible new walks. But she did praise Eric and Stephanie. She said the team would have been better off with someone in the lead. Mark mentions it gets even harder when you're dealing with an amateur celebrity, which I think.
Speaker 1: Great point.
Speaker 2: Imagine throwing in four celebs who you know you have no idea where they're going to be so yeah that that could be really hard. And then it's time for team tango Nina, Aj, Allen, and Adele. Nina tells Shirley that AJ took the lead on this piece, but everyone shipped in.
Speaker 1: It's not really what I saw. But okay.
Speaker 2: Mark is very excited to see ballroom from Aj because they have seen him do jive the last two weeks and they noticed that Nina was able to release control than the dance be it is to Ariana Grande's Into You, and the unthinkable happens in the first ten seconds. Alan slips and falls to the ground. Val What went through your head when you saw that?
Speaker 3: Just again nerves? You know, everybody got their own challenge, Like Alan has checks off so many boxes. H His whole thing is composure. I mean he's got crazy, you know, crazy energy, which is so fun to watch. Crazy just for lack of a better you know, he's just high energy, yeah, high energy. Yeah, controlling that energy. Otherwise you're gonna trip on an invisible.
Speaker 1: Step all over, trip over your own feet.
Speaker 3: But you know those things are they're minute in the finally, I would have a problem with that, but overall, you know, these things happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Alan doesn't let it stop him. They finished the dance, they look sharp, and how how did you end up feeling after Team Tango's dance and aj taking the lead and being strong.
Speaker 3: That's when I had that revelation. It's like this kid, man, I can't even be mad at that. You know, like, sure, I might not like that approach, but it's not about what I like or the approach, it's about the end result. Yep, we could apologize after.
Speaker 1: Did you feel like his choreography stood out to you?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, okay, yeah, he made great decisions because again, it's not just about choreography. No, that's not Emmy winning choreography. There's nothing really unique or original about that choreography. But sometimes, especially on the time the rest, it's not time for you to be an artist. It's time for you to be a craftsman. And those are two different things. And you could see that he's got so many miles under his belt that he's a craftsman. He knows exactly what to pull out for what challenge. And that's why he you know, I love when he said you want to expond, you don't want to shrink or whatever he said. I was like, I never even said it like that, but yeah, very good. So he just yeah, he won the challenge. He's the best one of this is the challenge he wanted.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When the song ends, the team has a nice group hug really supporting Alan, who is visibly beating himself up over the fall. And now with the judges, Mark acknowledges Alan's fall, but praises him for getting up. Everyone falls, it's fine. He loved Nina's improvement and said letting AJ lead was the right choice. Surely still has some concerns about timing. She gave maybe a little bit of credit to AJ, and we see some mother and son bickering over that comment, which was I loved seeing their dynamic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's also enough like a show within the show. I love Mark and Shirley again, that's a show I've subscribed to for the last twenty years. Yes, and so I'm it's well documented and he'll share some of his mother's antics in regards to educating him and coaching him on his own accord. But yeah, they're amazing and yeah, just I just love her like she always got time, Yeah to tell you how it is.
Speaker 2: I loved that it was like an A and a B storyline where Nina is also being told your delivery sucks sometimes, and Mark turns to his mom and he goes, it's just you know, it's the delivery, and it's like it.
Speaker 1: You see it, you see it playing out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what the difference is.
Speaker 1: Surely's earned it. Come on beyond.
Speaker 3: Listen. Nobody earned. Nobody earns the right to be cruel, to be somebody else, to be a narcissist, to be condescending patron. No one earns that. I've met, you know, don't meet you idols. I've met people have admired for their work who were absolutely awful human beings. And I could separate it too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: You yeah, she's earned that SATs, She's earned that lack of reiteration. She's not gonna spoonfeed it to you. She's gonna say it, and she's gonna say it respectfully, and that's all you're getting and that's more than you deserve. Right So, so I love Shirley and she's earned that tone.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Shirley loves Adele and calls aj the star of the day. Britt was very impressed and knows it was out of their comfort zone. I loved when Shirley said that Aj had been self absorbed for the you know, and and full of himself for the first two weeks, and I thought, well, we we agreed, you know, we called it out here, that's for sure. So then we go to break and we returned to the big moment. We have a clear winner here. It is no shock that Team Tango has won the challenge and is safe from elimination and then from Team Passa. Dooble surely announces that Selena and Tristan are in Jeopardy?
Speaker 1: Are those the right too to be in Jeopardy? Tristan for me, yes.
Speaker 3: Tristan and Selena. No. I don't think Selena should be in the bottom two.
Speaker 1: Yeah I didn't. I didn't see that either.
Speaker 3: But here's something to also consider, Like, fans don't have a vote.
Speaker 1: I know, it doesn't matter what we think, so it really, you.
Speaker 3: Know, it doesn't matter. It's it's really it comes down to that. I just didn't think that she should have been in the.
Speaker 1: Bottom I know, I agreed.
Speaker 2: I thought for when they were in the bottom too, I was like, well, by Tristan, I was like, all right, Tristan. Tristan's gone obviously like there's okay, uh, And then when it's time to find out who's going home, we get the shocker.
Speaker 1: Everyone is safe surely reveals that Natalie has not been medically cleared to return, so she has been eliminated.
Speaker 2: It's very emotional both for the two dancers who are being saved after thought thinking they might be going home, but also there is a lot of sadness for Natalie. Yeah, Stephanie has a lot going through her mind back in the line, but Natalie does come out to say goodbye and support everyone, which is nice to know that she's not like laid up in a hospital back somewhere. Well, the dancer's ugly cry around Natalie, and we prep for week four when Jenna Johnson will.
Speaker 1: Be stopping Bob.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: I am so excited too.
Speaker 2: And her theme is chemistry. Who better to teach about chemistry than Jenna Johnson.
Speaker 3: She's a chemistry she sure is.
Speaker 2: She's in the lab, she's cooking up She's a scientist. I know you have to get going back to rehearsal. Thank you for joining us, Thank you all to all of our listeners for joining us as well. I can't wait for next week where we get to talk all about your beautiful wife.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Yeah, I'm excited. Her facials alone are just so hilarious, and I just love watching her on TV. I just love watching her in her element as well. I think we share that space so often that you know, I'm in my zone, she's in her zone. We're servicing our partners, we're you know, we focused on other people, and it's fun to see her do her craft and I just get to be a fan and watch her do it.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I'm going to be a fan right along with you. Have a great rest of your day, then, Thank you so much, Thank you, b