Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 2: It is Friday, September fifteenth, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number thirty two.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the latest edition.
Speaker 3: Of The Break.
Speaker 2: We are live in s WBC Mortgage Studios at the starts. Our job today to get you guys ready for Cowboys Versus Jets. That's happening this sundy at at and T Stadium. It is the home opener for the Cowboys. They are looking to.
Speaker 3: Go to two.
Speaker 2: Jet's also looking to go to and Oh. So it'll be a fun game, interesting game. Lots of things for us to talk about today. We're gonna start with us injury updates. There were several there are several players that are still on the injury report. So Patrick, give me some updates where we look at.
Speaker 6: Yes, we're gonna try to navigate around Ambar's panic and seeing Zach Martin appear on the injury.
Speaker 7: Yes, I was like, Okay, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: We're gonna work through this.
Speaker 5: Let's just breathe. We're gonna work through this because Zach Martin.
Speaker 6: Yes, he did pop up on the injury report as limited in yesterday's practice, which was a full practice with a growing issue slash injury. But in Zach Martin's Weekly addressed to one oh five point three from the fanel yesterday, he said, quote unquote, I'm good, just dealing with some tightness. They were taking care of me today, end quote. So it sounds as if nothing mad. Yeah, just that kind of day. And you know some veteran guys, so you know, be extra precautious. So no concern there for Zach Martin. Let's fingers crossed that stays that way because we don't want to AMBARTI panic.
Speaker 5: Donovan Wilson, great news.
Speaker 7: Shock, you're the Cowboys, Okay, if something happens to y'all like that, that's full panic.
Speaker 5: No good news.
Speaker 6: Donovan Wilson upgraded to limit it. That was his first padded practice participation since suffering his hamstring injury in the first week of training.
Speaker 8: Camp.
Speaker 5: Oh calf injury.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, since the first week of training camp so before they had on pads. Yes, since last season, so Donovan Wilson. It just made a huge lead toward getting on the field on Sunday. Brandon Cooks, he was d and p did not participate on yesterday, which was expected based on what Mike McCarthy said yesterday morning. He'll likely be in the rehab group again today. That's that's what was intimated by general manager and owner Jerry Jones on the fan this morning, not you know, thirty minutes ago. So but he also said that there's a long way to go between now and kickoff, so they're not making any kind of determinations on Brandon Cooks right now. He said, quote unquote, it's not like he needs the reps. So sounds like Cooks could be a game time decision, but if he doesn't practice, that doesn't exclude him from playing. See you got Tyler Smith. Sounds like Tyler Smith probably not going to go. We'll see how it plays out. But Jerry Jones on the fan this morning did not sound optimistic at all. And then when you combine that with what Mike McCarthy has been saying this week just doesn't seem to be the case. He Jerry did say that Tyler is quote unquote the least possible probable to play to be acted this Sunday against the Jets. So it sounds like it's going to be another round for Chunma Ydoga and who else we got Tyron Smith. He was a full participant and both of these practices.
Speaker 9: So I'm going to.
Speaker 6: Turn it really quickly to the Jets because here's what's interesting to me from the Jets standpoint one, something that we saw yesterday. Breece Hall, Makai Beckton, and Dwayne Brown. They're all still limited, even though Thursday was a full practice for the Jets, so they're still limited. And we talk about stopping Breese Hall. We talk about Cowboys defensive front against the Jets line. Jets O line not healthy, Breeze Hall dealing with a knee issueg zureline is now fifty to fifty to play against the Cowboys. Now for me, this is where this is why that information is key. If he does play, he's obviously playing on a hurt growing one that's hurt to the point where they're considering sitting him. How does that impact Robert Sealer's offensive game plan and Nathaniel Hackett's offensive game plan?
Speaker 5: Does that make them more aggressive because they know.
Speaker 6: That they might not have the distance that they normally have as far as field goal attempts for Greg Zerline? Also, would they give a guy like Cavante Turpin more opportunities in the kick returning game because zero line, if he's the placekicker with a hurt growing, maybe that minimizes or eliminates the possibility of touchback. So something to keep an eye on their, ladies and gentlemen. Does Greg Zerline play and if he does, he's not completely healthy. What does that do for the Jets?
Speaker 2: One thing to note about Greg Zerline while he was here, that was taught that he didn't have the same level of distance that he once did. His leg wasn't as strong as it once was. I wonder how much a growing going to your point, how much a groin injury affects that even more when you talk about distance, that that I think may become an issue for them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a big one.
Speaker 2: But give me a pulse on what you guys think if if Brandon Cooks can't go for the Cowboys how much does that affect this team and what they're trying to do offensively.
Speaker 3: I think it affects them a lot, I really do. And and it puts a lot more pressure on Michael Gallup. Maybe that's what you want as a cowboy fan to for him to have to to get more of an opportunity. It puts a lot of pressure on Jalen Tolbert as well, you know. And so you've got two guys right there, you know, you're everybody. It was it was nice to see Gallup have a reception in that game the other day, start the second half. But yeah, Brandon Cooks against this secondary, you're going to need guys that find ways to separate. You're and you know not to Tollbird and and Gallop can't do that. But the one guy that consistently sides Lamb that could separate is Cooks. You know. So if it turns into you know, there has to be a sureness or the way you run a route. There has to be some separation there if you can gain it, because this secondary will make it different difficult for you, and their pass rush will make it difficult for you too. So to me, if it's I would say that it's one of those one of those serious things. If you're you know, like we Ambar would talk about if you were to take Zach Martin out, I think taking Brandon Cooks out is just as important, just from the standpoint of how I potentially can move the football in this.
Speaker 7: Game Without a Brandon Cooks. I mean, this offense completely changes in my eyes. I think he's that extra little cherry on top that brings the spark, spark into the offense that we haven't seen it working in full go just yet. We haven't seen the passing game be at its best just yet, so they're still trying to find that game. Obviously different weather conditions here, but also here in the comments you, Brian, you broke down the defense we heard yesterday. I believe it was Micah Parsons talking about this is a really, really good defense, and he even jokingly mentioned it to Dak like, hey, you guys gotta take it serious because it's a tough defense to go up again. So you talk about possibly losing that type of element speed, I think it does change your game a little bit, but you still have other guys that you can still use. We saw again we talked about Cavanta Turpin what he was able to do. Hopefully that's something that becomes more of a consistent in a consistent basis, because that hasn't happened yet, but we'll see. And he did Brendan Cooks, he did mention like if it wasn't one hundred percent, he wouldn't be playing. So I'm really curious to see what his actual condition is and what the medical staff really thinks.
Speaker 3: I think I think that if if if it was a legitimate knee sprain, I don't think he plays. Oh yeah, I mean that's where and I think that you know, when Patrick got to visit with him in the locker room and others have got to talk to him, and you know that that Jerry Jones is talking about that well he doesn't need to have reps and all that, I think that you know it it in that regard, it does bode well. I'm like I said, I just feel like where this team is at right now, you need as many people stressing this defense out as you can. And you take him out there, there's that stress level goes away for the Jets, and so I you know this, I want to believe this guy is going to play. I want to because if it was, if it was as doom and gloom as everybody you know. I mean, there were some reports yesterday coming out about you know, you know, Knees spraying nes knees brain. I'm thinking, well, he's not gonna play. But the fact that you know that he is where is that I think there's a possibility that he does play.
Speaker 6: I think I think it goes to the wire in the aspect of I think the Cowboys hold him out of today's walk through and tomorrow's walk through as well, and just use this as as an ice week for him, so to speak, so that it's as rested and as good as possible going against the Jets, Because to answer your question, Derek, I think it'd be a really big loss. Now, Yes, to Ambar's point, you have other horses in the stable. You have Michael Gallup, who you're gonna task with stepping up.
Speaker 5: You have Jalen.
Speaker 6: Tobert who would love to have this opportunity, especially this early in the season, because that young man's champion at the bit to get out there and show that training camp and preseason wasn't a fluke. And I love what you said about Cavante Turpin, because that's what I was thinking, as well.
Speaker 5: As like a third body who could.
Speaker 6: Potentially be, you know, someone who can get separation, who can give that Brandon Cook's s esque kind of quickness in space and on quick raps and stuff like that, and then that would by default maybe that brings do Vaughn more into the backfield and gets duce von.
Speaker 3: So I'm involved.
Speaker 6: I'm assuming that if Brandon Cooks doesn't play, obviously the Cowboys are going to have a contingency plan for that. For me, that's going to be a package of gallop with Tobert and then you mix thin Cavante turpin as well, which you know, like I said, it should allow do small rips in the backfield. But I mean, there's no way to sugarcoat it. If Cooks is off of the field, that's you just took a nuke out of the equation. I mean, Michael Gallup is capable, Turping is capable Tobert. He's shown he's capable in preseason and training camp, not just yet in a regular season game. But none of those guys, in no disrespect him, none of those guys have Cooks' skill set. But I'm with Brian, I feel like it's going to come down to the wire. But I think Cook's plays.
Speaker 2: I think that you're back to if he doesn't play, you're back to what you were last year, which is if they can figure out a way to neutralize.
Speaker 5: Hopefully with the better Tobart though absolutely you can. You can make an argument.
Speaker 2: You can make the argument that you think Gallup is going to be better. You can make the argument that you think told will be better. We have not seen that yet though, right, And that's the part like until you see it, you don't know if you can necessarily trust it in these games. And what we saw last season was if teams could figure out a way, particularly there at the end of season, they fgure out a way to take Ceede. Lamb out of the game, then that that had a big effect.
Speaker 5: Your tight ends step up big.
Speaker 6: That's going to be another layer to it as well, is you know, stretching the middle, like taxing the middle of the field, applying pressure to the middle of the field in those linebackers. So if cooks Iss not on the field, I mean you need your tight ends to step up and make these catches anyway, and I think they are going to be tasked with doing that much more so than they were in inclement weather in New York. But without Cooks on the field, you got somebody else.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, and how much Now does that mean that Lamb plays slot right? You know? And now? And so to me that the matchup of him and Michael Carter and the slot favors the Cowboys. But do the Jets counter by saying we'll stick Read or we'll stick Sauce Gardener in the slot. We're not gonna let you. That's they don't want to move it now that they if you if you watch when they got down in the red zone, there was one series where they flipped the corners where they put Sauce on the right side and brought Reed. And I wonder if it had to do what they felt like that that Buffalo was a right handed team. That the way that they use their red zone offense is they attacked the right because when you see the flow, it's always seems like it's the quarterback. It was the flow. Everything is going to the right side there, and maybe they felt like that, you know, with Reid, maybe he'd be a little bit more physical over there. But you you you have to figure out and and the fact that they've probably well not probably, they've practiced all week without cooks. You know, I'm sure that they have a really good slot plan because you know they I would find I would find as many ways possible to get Turpin or e be okay, Turpin or Tolbert on sast Gardner. There you go. I am going to figure out you were going to cover somebody all day. I'm gonna make you just run today. I'm not gonna let you. I'm probably not gonna throw a ball your direction, but I'm gonna make you run all day today and not playing this game because I'm not. If I don't have cooks, I got to now find a way to use Lamb in another way to kind of create a will match in a favorable matchup. Yeah, that's my idea. Yep, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: All right, We're gonna take our first break. When we come back, I'll start diving into this game. We got some questions on that. We'll get some keys of the game. Amber has a game for us in the final segment, and then we'll get our picks. We're going to get some picks today. See what everybody thinks is gonna happen this Sunday. We'll be back Dallas. Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G fast, liable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, secure. It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 3: See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 3: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 6: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile banking app.
Speaker 12: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assist in Erica.
Speaker 6: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just Can't Stop Banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 3: It is only available in the English language.
Speaker 12: Must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices.
Speaker 3: Message in dat atesy apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 13: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 7: Would you, Dear doctor?
Speaker 2: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 11: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the souldier.
Speaker 7: To cry out?
Speaker 13: This One's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 13: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 11: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial moweres, Compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the break Rally Days presented by Seek Geek, give NFL fans and experience of a lifetime the day prior to the Dallas Cowboys home game on September sixteenth. Enjoy activities at Miller House and get it behind the scenes tour of at and T Stadium and more. Visit at and T Stadium dot com Slash Rally Days for more information and to get your tickets today.
Speaker 2: Welcome Back. It is the second segment segment of the Break LIVEEMSS WBC Mortgage Studios.
Speaker 3: At the Star.
Speaker 2: This segment is presented to you by Blockchain dot Com. Here's a question I have for you guys. I was watching the game last night, the Eagles. They get the win, but it became very apparent to me. I think looking at the football watch last weekend and then watching again last night, I think across the league, defenses are quite a bit ahead of offenses and My question for you is do you agree with that statement, and if so, what do you think is the reason for that.
Speaker 6: I do agree, and I think it's largely in part due to the fact that, you know, more often than not, hit coaches just want to protect their starters in the preseason. It's particularly offensively when you're talking about, you know, franchise quarterbacks and key offensive linemen because you don't want to lose an offensive lineman. You see around the league that ol depth is an issue, you know, particularly here in Dallas as well, behind those five starters. But when you have a situation where often you have these head coaches that are like, you know what, we're not going to risk it, or we're going to greatly minimize the number of reps that our starters have in the preseason, kind of still using trying to use the third game, which would typically be the dress rehearsal in a four game scenario in preseason, still trying to get those guys some reps, if any reps at all. But when you don't have those preseason reps, then you're going to have your offenses come out and they're trying to find themselves, and then you have a.
Speaker 7: Situation like during training camps, the offense are the ones who have the advantage at practicing.
Speaker 3: And one on ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one on ones, But I think, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think they get a different kind of work the offense versus what the defense is actually doing, because we know the defense cannot be full go. So in the scenario you're killing me with those eyes. I don't know, but I think in this scenario you're presenting, I alast agree with you. At first, it makes perfect sense, but then I started thinking of how training camp usually is, and it's the opposite where I feel like the offense is actually getting more quote unquote valuable work and being in sync with players and throwing those passes as opposed to what the defense are doing exact.
Speaker 6: But then let's add in the context of let's take the Cowboys for example, Right, the Cowboys, you have a new play caller, right, and maybe somewhere else in the league you have a new play caller or a second year guy.
Speaker 5: Like Nathaniel Hackett or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 6: So you have a new play caller or new ish play caller and they're trying to do installs. Whereas if you flip it if you keep it to the data side, Dallas as an example, this is Dan quinn system, and for the most part, this is his same assistant coaching staff, and for the most part they were able to prevent attrition and turnover.
Speaker 5: And free agency and things like that.
Speaker 6: So that defensive unit, of this defensive unit in Dallas is pretty much holding.
Speaker 5: It's a continuation.
Speaker 6: But when you have Cowboys that were adding in Brandon Cooks and then Jaylen Tobert was trying to get some burn, Cavante Turper's trying to get some burn, let's mix in Hunter Lipkey. Hey, let's throw induce Vaughn as well. Oh, by the way, Zach Martin had a holdout. So from that context, the Cowboys offense, if we're using that as just a microcosm of the example, was did not have the advantage in training camp. So yeah, the defense will come out and that's why the defense. Yes, there was rain and everything as well, but the defense, even on a clear sky in New York, I believe the defense would have still had the advantage over what we would have expected to see from the offense. But then you tie it into generally speaking from a macro, if the trend continues where we're in head coaches are and I'm completely on board with it.
Speaker 5: Check the receipts. I don't want franchise players playing in the preseason.
Speaker 9: I'm fine with that.
Speaker 6: But yeah, it's gonna take a little bit, you know, one or two weeks for those offenses to catch up with the opposing defenses, because to me, the defenses have the league.
Speaker 3: There's just not good enough offensive lineman in the league.
Speaker 5: There's that that's a problem.
Speaker 3: When you watch these games, and every team has that problem. We work on the Draft show every year and we talk about there's there's outstanding defensive players in this league. The Russians, the rush at the edges, the tackles, uh linebackers, the front seven. The ability to cover is so much better. Now you don't have enough. You don't have enough offensive lineman you're playing if you're you're lucky if you have one or two that are really really good. And what happens is that puts a lot of pressure on your offense when you're in ability to block. Saw a great example of that the other day in the Cowboys game. Giants have worked on their offensive line. They don't have it right. You know what happened. They got exposed teams. Look what happened with Minnesota. I mean those those teams. Everybody's got situations with their offensive line. There's just not enough good offensive linemen to go around. The draft has been a little better for the top of the draft for some teams, but there's also been a lot of misses there more.
Speaker 7: Defensive what needs to happen with like the college players.
Speaker 3: The problem, the real problem is though that that there it's harder to find offensive linemen just because of their size. You know, you could take converted running backs and make them edge rushers. You could take converted Uh, you can take converted I mean we've seen guys like quarterbacks, we've seen running backs, We've seen you know, you can convert players to play, bulk them up and play other positions. It's hard. Yeah, yeah, it's hard. It's hard to find offensive line bodies. The one thing offensive linemen have come a little bit better and the way that teams, uh, the way that we've got the seven on seven in high school football with it's all about passing, Well, where do we work the offensive lineman in this drills? Where where do we develop offensive linemen? A lot of it is natural ability and they were brought up. Hey, you're not a you're not an edge, you're a right tackle or you're a left tackle. You know, it's very very rare that we have enough of these guys, especially and the way the game is throwing the ball every snap, these guys don't develop as run blockers. They really don't. I mean, you're fortunate. Do you have a guy like Terrence Steele who's complete opposite. He is a much better run blocker than he is a pass blocker. But there's a lot of guys in college and he came from a school at Texas Tech that threw the ball every single snap. But that's just that rare development. But you don't have You just don't have guys going and playing high school college NFL offensive line. It's easier to convert position, like, okay, well I'm going to take this running back and make him an edge. Put some weight on a mix. Though you got a two hundred and forty eight pound guy screaming off the edge trying to go up against a tackle that is not athletic enough to handle that. That's a big problem right now.
Speaker 2: And you look at the athletes of them are opting to play defensive line. And I think it's because you can use your athleticism in a way that's probably a little more fun. Like, I just think you got a lot more athletes coming out. You look at the defensive tackles around the league. You can go to almost every team and find a really good defensive.
Speaker 3: Tackle these days, especially in that division.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that used to not be the case. A three technique on almost every team you'll find a really good one, right, And that used to not be the case.
Speaker 3: And I think it's because.
Speaker 2: Over time they've gotten a little more a little better, because athletes are choosing that position because they know the opportunity.
Speaker 3: The next position that's going to die is running backs, right, kids are not going to play running backs. We're going to start to see but that's that's what I'm saying that. And you know, some of these running backs in college, the way they use the NIO money will be better than the money they make in the NFL. And it's it's just we're going to come to a point where colleges are going to start to use receivers like what San Francisco is doing, and as they're just running backs. The Deebo Samuels and those kinds of guys.
Speaker 2: And you saw a debo it was like he was like, no, don't you can use me a little bit there.
Speaker 3: I'm a receiver. Let's be clear.
Speaker 5: I'm a receiver.
Speaker 2: I think I think more and more players will be like.
Speaker 3: The last one's. Like this draft was incredible, that the Jean Robinson's and others in this draft. But it is going to become a dying position because it's they're just not going to use him anymore. People are not I don't want to. I don't want to play running back. Play me at linebacker, play me at play me somewhere else.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into Cowboys versus Jets.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: Let's talk first about Garrett Wilson. He's the wide receiver for the Jets. Very talented wide receiver. I know you said yesterday, Brian, and he's a guy that kind of can move around. Talk to me a little bit about what you guys think the matchup looks like him against Diggs, Gilmour and Bland, because if he's moving around, he may be either of those three may be covering him at different points during the game. What do you think of the matchup?
Speaker 6: I think when it comes to I mean, each one covers differently, but each one excels at what they do. Like Deron Bland, for example, much more physical much he likes to play tighter and being your personal space, disrupt your time, and he loves the man coverage of the three players that you just named, whereas a guy like Diggs he can do man, but he's better as far as being able to drop back, read and react.
Speaker 5: And then Gilmore he.
Speaker 6: Has the football IQ to just be able to do whatever needs to be done because he knows the route nine times out of ten that you're about to run before you come out of your break.
Speaker 5: So it's just it's.
Speaker 6: A matter of who he's going to line up against Garret Wilson I'm speaking of, and then that's basically how the rept is going to end up going. So if you see him lined up in the slot for whatever reason, and he's in that nickel against Iron Bland, you can expect to see some immediate disruption in the timing of that route because Dron Bland is going to get up there, he's gonna jamhm, He's going to hit him, get physical, and he's going to glue himself to his hip.
Speaker 5: Trevon Diggs.
Speaker 6: He'll hit and release so that he can play a little bit more in space so he can read whether the quarterback's trying to throw the ball and then hopefully jump the route. Stefan Gilmore, He's going to play at midway where it's like he can press, but he's more comfortable allowing the first step to happen so that he can see what if it's an inside or outside breaking, then his football IQ and his experience tells him this is what the route looks like is going to happen. So it'll be a fun matchup no matter who he ends up going against. Garrett Wilson does, but in any of those situations, all bet and I'll say again, Garrett Wilson is an exceptional talent. When you look at the secondary, particularly those three guys that you just talked about, he's going to have his hands full.
Speaker 3: My hope is that the Jets don't run the ball and then make these corners have to play in the game, and when they on the edge, you know that they have to come up, make a tackle, come up, make a tackle, come getting blocked, come up, make a tackle. You know that that's that's wear and tear on you right there during a game, and so you almost have to play a separate game. I worry about the Jets, like I say, the run, and then all of a sudden, it's they go play action. And now Garrett Wilson's running by you because you're a little beat up from having to defend the run. But you're not. But you're and you're not focusing because you're focusing on Wait a minute, it's it's cracked toss. It's it's you know, just toss, sweep, oh balls, bounce the outside. You can lower yourself into just playing got to play the run, got to play the run? Got well if they just ran past me. You know, you shouldn't be scared of Alan Lazard's speed, you shouldn't be scared of Randall Cobbs speed. But what you should be scared of is Garrett Wilson win his ability to run by you. There if in fact, it turns into run, run, run, run, run pass. You know that kind of thing where all of a sudden, now they're making you have to they're taking you out of your game where you're so used to just running routes with the guy covering a guy covering a guy covering a guy. But now the Jets make you play a physical side of the game, and you're now pushed into that role. That's the thing that would worry me a little bit about playing this. You know a plan. I think this game is really going to hinge on the Cowboys offensive ability to score points. I know points wins games, but you put pressure on the Jets to have to score with you, it will be a it will be a problem for their offense.
Speaker 5: Make the score boar the twelfth defender.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't want to say. What I want to say is the mail miss up by segment?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 7: No, because if I say it, I'm gonna screw up one of the things that I'm gonna do in the segment. So I'm gonna save it all right.
Speaker 2: When we say that, talk about Quinn Williams. He is, in my opinion, maybe the best defender they have on their team. He and Sauce Gardner, but certainly a force there on the defensive line. How do you expect him to line up? Where do you expect him the lineup and what do you expect the matchups to be relative to the Cowboys offensive line, and how does the Cowboys have the Cowboys ranked there? Like how they match up against Quinn Williams.
Speaker 3: Well, the Quinn Williams is problematic because the tackles you played last week were really heavy, just base kind of defensive tackles. You know, they're straight ahead players. There's not a lot of movement to him. It's more power than it is movement. Quentin Williams is the opposite that he is a big guy, but he also has the ability to play small. And when I mean play small is they play that wide technique. I talked about it in the breakdown. They call it a wide nine because of how the gaps are, you know, within their their ability. And they like to slant, they like to twist, they like to attack the shoulder. That's gonna be the issues that when they spread you out like that, they create space as well, you know, with the with the with the offensive line. And then so what you have to do is you have to be ready for like a Quinn Williams going up playing on your shoulder and just getting upfielders and just taking the gap and then he'll go upfield and then work back to the ball real quick. So you've got to be ready to get over to slide over. Zach Martin could be super comfortable. We've seen Zach Martin do this a hundred times. Jam with his right hand and then it sets the guy and then he jams in his left hand. That allows his body to get in place. We'll see if a Dooga can be that guy Adoga. He's got to play with his hands. Hands and feet have to work against Quinn Williams. If you don't have hands and feet, he's going to beat you to the corner. He's gonna work your shoulder, and then he's going to be in the backfield.
Speaker 6: Yeah, everything he said, period, everything he said because Quinn Williams is in fact more athletic than the defensive tackles that they went up against in New York with the Giants. So yeah, when you talk about the likelihood that Tyler Smith won't be on the field too many, Doga, it's gonna be another big test for you, but a different type of test.
Speaker 3: That's the point is, don't I don't waste last week? I don't. Yeah, because that played right into a Doga's hands. When you watched him play, he could just sit down, sit down, play with power. This ain't that I don't waste Quinn Williams reps on Zach Martin. If I'm the Jets, I'm like, no, no, Every time that Quinn Williams is in there, he's going against the doga agreed. I'm just I'm gonna. I'm gonna. But Dallas has to take advantage of that too. The problem is on the other side, Quentin Jefferson's a pretty good player next to him, so you got to make sure. But you know, if you're Zach Martin, Zach Martin should be able to handle Quentin Jefferson. But on the other side, like I say, I am not, I am not putting any Quinn Williams reps on Martin because that's a wash right there.
Speaker 6: And you probably have to at some point, at several points in the game, you'll probably we see running backs helping on Quinn Williams as far as on that side of the ball, trying to you know, slow him down to give deck some some time. But speaking of time, the fact that Dak Prescott had the quickest trigger in the league last week two point one one seconds from receipt to release, that bodes well for the Cowboys. And you know, we asked deck about it yesterday and he just kind of smiled and he was like, Texas Coast, that's awesome, right.
Speaker 3: That's the offense.
Speaker 6: So that one way that the Cowboys are going trying to neutralize Quinn Williams and just the defensive line of the New York Jets is to get the ball out as quickly as possible.
Speaker 3: Well, you're also in a situation too that we two ricky corners with the Giants last week. You took advantage of guys and Billy were inexperienced. The ball coming out quick is a great thing. These corners drive really well on the ball you got. And like I said earlier, you've got to be sure if you're going to throw the ball. There's no hesitation. You got to you gotta read it and let it fly, because if you hesitate for a second, you're going to allow these receivers to I mean give me these these corners to play the ball either over the shoulder, around the back, driving in front of it. You've got to make sure that if you're going to throw this thing quick, be sure about it, be accurate about it.
Speaker 6: And that puts the onus and perfectly say, and that puts the onus on the opposite side of that as well. These receivers have to make sure that they get their timing, that they hit their spots, because if Dak sees it, he's throwing it. If he does what Brian says, that ball is coming and you better be there again.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the problem that Dak had with interceptions last year. It weren't there were times where where Lamb didn't get inside. There's times when Shultz didn't get inside because there was hesitation of where the coverages were being played. You know, guys jam them on the line, they don't get off the line, they're kind of off balance, and now the ball's in the air and now you're dealing with problems.
Speaker 7: It's funny how our mood has changed, how differently it has changed when mentioning Chuma's name in a matchup compared to last week. Had this been we would have been well, it's not funny. It's good. It's good that you would have been saying, oh, no, we're screwed. You would have been saying that, Brian. But it's it's good to hear that he's showed and was able to do something progression compared to what we saw the trading Kevin. Then now we're talking about matchups like this where you can actually compete.
Speaker 3: When he plays in space, he's not as good a player when you watch him play tackle. That's not his cup.
Speaker 2: Put he said, you think he's a guard.
Speaker 3: Put him in that phone booth. Yeah, put him in that phone booth and let him block. That's you know, that's how you got to work it.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll take our final break and when we come back, Amber has a game for us. We'll see what that's all about. We'll be back in Doubt in just a minute. Stoles Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Maybe Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 5: Five G requires compatible planning.
Speaker 11: Device.
Speaker 3: Five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 2: See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 4: Don't put off getting your oil change, Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP that's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP say.
Speaker 11: Champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf.
Speaker 3: And sports turf equipment.
Speaker 11: United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the Break, check out the latest and greatest edition to the tours at AT and T Stadium and The Star in Frisco. Meet Jerry Jones Interactive Experience. Get a peek behind the curtain and into the fascinating life of Jerry Jones. With a focus on innovative fan experience in partnership with AT and T, this interactive technology gives the tour goers the opportunity to ask mister Jones a variety of questions for more information and to book your two or visit Dallas Cowboys dot Com, slash Tours Welcome Back.
Speaker 2: Final segment of the Break Life in s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Stars. Time for a little segment with Amber that she calls who's behind that voice?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so winner and loser gets to take a shot. You guys got tequila, Brian got bourbon. Freak your Friday, hashtag freak your Friday. No, but in this game, we're gonna we're gonna listen to a voice, a player's voice, and it's gonna be muffled, and you guys are gonna have to guess who it was. Patrick, you go last, because you're usually more inside the locker room. And then we'll listen and see the video of the player responding to something else, and then we'll discuss. All right, so let's go. Chris is gonna be working pretty hard back there, so go ahead.
Speaker 2: Chris.
Speaker 9: Really not much to say about it. It's just what's the dog see field. We turned the tape on from the top to the bottom, from the top to the bottom, we got guys, let's go get out the.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 3: I was in the locker room for that one, Okay, I'm I'm I was not, So I'm gonna guess that's Dix.
Speaker 7: That's a good guess.
Speaker 3: But it's not Dicks.
Speaker 2: It's not who is it Jaron Curse?
Speaker 7: It's let's see the clip plight, Chris.
Speaker 14: You know, we we just we just got guys that get that gets after and uh he was shot out to my young bull. Uh, Marquise Bell. I am proud of him, proud of him. You know, we we just we just got guys that get that gets after and uh he was signed out to my young bull.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: All right, and it is Jaron Curse. So points for you too. Wanted to talk about Marquise, Mrquise Bell. He's the guy that we haven't really talked a whole lot about him that before. He was kind of that guy that was kind of on the line is he gonna be good enough? Is he not? And he's gotting to the point where he's showing some things to the point where you get a guy like Curse calling specifically his name out after a win, a big win in the first week. So Brian, I'll start with you and your thoughts of the progression and what Belle has shown.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and quickly, I know, because this game is a lot of fun. The thing I really like about Bell is that he showed up in training camp, he showed up in the in the preseason games, and he's carried it over to the games. The game does not look too big for him. He fits in a lot of different roles. He's a physical player, he's a finisher. I love what dan Quinn's been able to do with him that physical nature, but he's able to play with.
Speaker 6: And in love with Marquis Bell. He's doing did in training camp, did in preseason. Like Brian said, it's rolling over to the regular season. But even more impressive is the fact that, I mean, for the most part, for what we saw in week one, he's being thrown into what we can call the overshown package, and he was thrown into that in a fairly short order. And now he's on the road in the rain, flying all over the place, leading the team in tackles. I mean, just a fantastic story for for a guy out of an HBCU when the narrative is that those kinds of players don't come out of HBCU. So I talked to Marquise a couple of days ago into the locker room, and I asked him, you know what is his mindset as far as keeping this going, and he was like keeping in mind before the game, he was like he was going willing to do anything and everything that Cowboys wanted him to do. He showed that. So I said, hey, fantastic game. How do you build on that? And he said, Hey, at the end of the day, it's just me playing football. I love that mindset, that that's the dog that jy Ron.
Speaker 3: Is talking about.
Speaker 2: I will say this, and I feel bad for feeling like this, but I can't help after watching that game, think, man, I really wanted to see the Marveian overshown in that role. I think he would have. Well, the reason why I feel bad is because I feel like itinishes. It diminishes what Marquis was able to do. It diminishes what Wanye was able to do. Like they both played really great games and they helped this defense, and so I don't want to take away from them, but that still is in the back of my mind, Like I really wish I could have seen hook them. I really wish I could have seen over shown this year in that role because I think he could have been outstanding in that role.
Speaker 5: I think both things are true.
Speaker 6: I mean, we can be very impressed as we are with what one Yea and Marquis were able to do, and still kind of wish we were able to see this year what overshown would have done, because I mean, he just lit training camp on fire. But we'll see him in the year two and that I am really looking forward to.
Speaker 7: All right, let's listen to the second audio.
Speaker 9: That's for y'all the right. You know, the only thing we do is go out there and play the game, you know, So if y'all feel like the statement was made, going to put that on you know, the front, big letters, you know, bowl letters, you know. But I definitely feel like we did our job, you know, to the maximum of our ability, and I feel like we can still learn to get better from him.
Speaker 3: You hear that is yeah. I have to guess.
Speaker 2: I thought I thought you're going around the mall, she said, she doesn't one us guess.
Speaker 3: It was Marcus. I was thinking him or Hankins. It's kind of a Hankins kind.
Speaker 8: Of a.
Speaker 2: I could see that, but no, he was. He was definitely like, I like the part where we said put it in big let.
Speaker 7: Let's see the video.
Speaker 14: Game we're gonna make sure, you know, we get back in clean up our mistakes.
Speaker 2: Oops.
Speaker 7: I don't know what happened with the clip, but basically he's saying, we're gonna go out there and not have it big. We're not gonna get a big head. So back to what we were talking about a couple of days ago, it's good to get veteran guys leaders like him, kind of keeping yourself grounded and knowing. Let's move on to the next opponent. All right, let's listen to the next audio.
Speaker 9: You asked me. You're telling him you asked me, I feel like we're just gonna continue to put it on display every week and we're gonna let scharge this.
Speaker 7: I think I know who that is, Derek, So you're thinking it was.
Speaker 2: One of the defensive guys. I'm trying to remember who that was.
Speaker 3: I remember the quote, was it Osa?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 7: I think that might have been secondary.
Speaker 6: I guess I think I know who it is, Malie Cooker, go ahead, it'son.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was not thinking him.
Speaker 14: Watch you asked me, are the best cornerback?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 14: I feel like we're just going to continue to put it on display every weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was next question, actually, Nick, Nick Harris, Yeah, yeah, okay, all right, I remember that.
Speaker 7: Do you guys feel that they are becoming him with the combination of Gilmour becoming the best cornerback duel in the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, huge upgrade over and nothing against Anthony Brown, but a huge upgrade over what they've done there. They've done it with the pass rush and then the ability for both their corners and cover as well as they do and kick Bland in there as well. Yeah, there's a lot of personal directors around the league that would love to have this secondary.
Speaker 6: I said coming into the season, and I was not shy about it, because I'm not shy about anything. I said that this duo was the best duo in the league, and you know, some people kind of push back on Twitter and they were like, well, what about in Miami exhaving Howard Jayleen Ramsey. Then, of course Jaylen Ramsey gets injured in August has to deal with that. But I feel like as elite as Jalen Ramsey is, I wonder if he's on the back end of his career, whereas if you look at what Stefan Gilmore, for example, did in Week one against the Giants, I still think he's right there in that window of prime. And then of course you know for a fact, Trevon Diggs is still prime. Deron Bland hasn't even reached prime for him yet, and he's already at elite status. So even if you removed Duran from it, I think that that duo, this duo here is in fact the best in the league.
Speaker 2: I'll even take it a step further. I agree with all that, and I would really focus in on the point of they are the best threesome in the league.
Speaker 3: Like I don't think it's close.
Speaker 2: If you start seeing the top three, if you can look at everybody's top three, and if you want to just get really crazy, George, you want to do the top four.
Speaker 3: I think when you look.
Speaker 2: At this secondary between the cornerbacks and the safeties, not only are they good, they're good and they're deep.
Speaker 3: They're extremely deep.
Speaker 2: And so that's the part to me, that's that's even more important to saying that the best duo in the league. This secondary is really good and they're very deep, and I don't think there's anybody that's close to them when you look at the nets.
Speaker 6: Digs in the locker room had a kind of side exclusive talk with him, and I said, what's what's what do you think your message would be to those that saw that game as far as secondary your ability to tackle, killing that narrative and everything. He said, don't throw the ball. All right there it is, keep tackling.
Speaker 7: Can we do this last one? It relates to the game this weekend? So let's listen to the final audio.
Speaker 8: No, they're d line. I think that's the hardened team out there, all four guys up front, and then then we got depth to so I mean, it's gonna be a good challenge for us, but man, we're up for it. So I mean they gotta they gotta go through us too.
Speaker 2: So I think I know what that is.
Speaker 5: I do what is tip of the tongue?
Speaker 2: I think it's Terrence Steele?
Speaker 3: Is it? That's got it? Yeah, Terrence Steele.
Speaker 7: Let's watch the clip.
Speaker 3: When Yeah, that was him. I was smith.
Speaker 8: Did they come from the same similar families of coaching and stuff?
Speaker 7: So basically he's talking about the similarities between the defense that the Jets they have now versus the one they face with the forty nine ers. So I wanted to kind of bring back into the discussion as to what are those similarities where now you're talking about every player here in the locker room mentioning this defense that is being compared to the ones that the forty nine ers have, and we know of that BENI has been clearly a struggle for the Catwoys.
Speaker 3: I think there's step below defensively in the front seven of what the forty nine ers do. I think there's I think the linebackers the Jets are good. I think the forty nine ers linebackers are really good. I think the power which the forty nine ers play up front, I think they physically beat you up. I think the Jets are more of a try and move and get to the ball as where the forty nine ers are going to go through you to get to the ball.
Speaker 2: And I actually think the Jets have a better secondary.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a better secondary.
Speaker 6: I think if you look at the linebacker unit, I think you could argue that it's a wash. But because you're talking about a guy like Fred Warner and I take them all day long, but you could argue that that's at least close to a wash. I'd give the edge on the defensive line to the San Francisco forty nine ers, but the edge and the secondary goes to the New York Jets.
Speaker 7: Well, that is definitely went away over time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that one.
Speaker 7: I had a couple more, but that's okay. It's funny how the Jets have made a name for them themselves and we're no longer kind of dismissing that team. Go ahead and there, let's get into prediction.
Speaker 2: All right, what we got. You guys got to tell me what you think is going to happen this weekend. Give me the prediction and the score.
Speaker 5: Brian, let's start.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say the Cowboys. I think this is gonna Last week I picked a close game. I still think it's gonna be a close game. I think defensively, it's gonna be hard for the Jets to, you know, to to I think there's gonna be some times where you're gonna get stopped along the way. Offensively, I'm gonna go with the Cowboys are gonna win this one twenty four to sixteen.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 6: I want to see scary hours again from the defense, and that's why I'm wearing my Friday the thirteenth cap. I want Jason Voyhes, Freddy Krueger Chucky. I want, I want everybody I want. I want it to be a horror movie for Zach Wilson, and I believe that it can be to that point. I don't know that the Jets offense can get going. I think the Cowboys do a very effective job at bottling up Breis Hall and Dalvin Cook, and everything just falls into place from there. Offensively, I do believe that they're going to get more on track as far as being the meat of what happens on the scoreboard for the Cowboys. So I'm going I don't think it'll be as close as many think. I'm going twenty four for the Cowboys. They're still going to have some challenges going against their defense, but I think the Cowboys defense shuts down Zach Wilson to the tune of six. I think then we get two field goals. So twenty four to six Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Oh, mine was kind of close. I'll be great. I think Cowboys win twenty nine nine, No, twenty seven nine, Yeah, twenty seven to nine Cowboys, all right?
Speaker 2: And I also think the Cowboys win. I think it's a low scoring game for the Jets. I also don't think it's a big scoring game. For the Cowboys. I think it's a defensive battle. Cowboys win seventeen to six in a otherwise pedestrian game. You move on to the next week real quick, though. We do have our pot picks. I want to ask you, guys, who do you think will be the first receiving touchdown? Who catch the first receiving touchdown for the Cowboys this weekend?
Speaker 6: I'm going ceedee Lamb, all right, I think you know, And we don't know if Cooks is going to play. We're optimistic that he will play. But even if Cooks does play, I think it's going to be CD.
Speaker 3: Lamb, I'm gonna go with Jason. With Ferguson, yeah.
Speaker 6: We always think alike every time with Ferguson last week and he dropped.
Speaker 3: I don't want to jink and I know I was.
Speaker 7: Tight end. Is so easy to choose for a guy like Dak, you know, but man, I don't want to choose Ferguson again. But let's just call it. I have to give you a name.
Speaker 2: Huh, Yeah, gotta give you an.
Speaker 7: You're choosing Ferguson to I don't want to choose the same.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's not a bad one.
Speaker 7: It's not but I don't feel it, so.
Speaker 2: Just you can go Ferguson.
Speaker 7: Let's giveau.
Speaker 2: Let's let's get Ferguson for the two of us. All Right, I appreciate you guys. Jumps back next week we'll let you know what right and wrong for the Cowboys. Till then, for Patrick Walker, Brian brought us Amber Garcy. I am Derek Elton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of lla Uscowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 6: Cowboy