Speaker 1: Basketball fans, We've seen it all season, and the dramas only ramping up now that we're in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: The first round brought us some great moments and some historical individual performances, but that means they are only a few weeks left to get in on the DraftKings Pick six action.
Speaker 1: Right now, you can get on all the DraftKings Pick six Action, a brand new way to play daily fantasy sports. I've teamed up with our partners at DraftKings to offer all new customers who play five dollars, fifty dollars and pick six credits.
Speaker 3: Getting started is simple.
Speaker 2: Just download the DraftKings Pick six app and sign up with Cole Smoke. Pick at least two players and choose if they have more or less of a stat like where they score more or less than thirty points or have more or less than eight assists.
Speaker 1: DraftKings has hooked it up so you can bet on almost any stat points, assists, rebounds, threes, mads, blocks, steals, combos.
Speaker 3: And more.
Speaker 1: There are just truly so many ways to win. Your two to six players can be playing on the same team in the same game, or playing hundreds of miles apart.
Speaker 2: Start making your picks and compete against others for a shot at huge cash prizes.
Speaker 1: Make sure you download DraftKings Pick six app now sign up using the code smoke only a DraftKings Pick six.
Speaker 4: The crown is yours.
Speaker 1: Anybody that has social media knows that at times it's imperative to choose chill. I can't tell you how many times I started typing out a response to a troll only to say.
Speaker 2: You know what, man, Whenever that happens, it's the perfect time to reach out for an ice cold Corse Light. I just love the crisp, refreshing taste. And it isn't only when I'm on social media. I try to grab every possible opportunity to choose chill and then reach for a refreshing Corse Light.
Speaker 1: There's nothing better than hanging with your homies, NBA playoffs on TV and cold Cours light in your hands. As the weather starts to warm up, you got to go with the beer that tell you what it's ready.
Speaker 2: To drink when the mounts turned blue, you know, as cold as the Rockies, straight from Corse Brewing Company, Golden Colorado.
Speaker 1: So make the most out of the times you choose to chill, choose cores Light. Get cours Light delivered straight to your door from Instacart by going to courslight dot com. Slash smoke and always make sure you celebrate responsibly. Welcome back all the smoke, Miami, Run beautiful Miami. I like your Dicky, super appreciated broke clean. You got that in different colors too. Yep, cheap one hundred dollars? Is it top and bottom to get with the program? Man, We got a special one today, someone we've been you know, had our eye on for a long time. I ran into him last summer in Vegas and we finally ran them down this summer on the golf course.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Seven time All Star, two time Defensive Player of the Year, two thousand and six champions, three times Biggie Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 4: Man, Welcome to the show, Alonzo.
Speaker 5: Mon, Thank you appreciate having me, gentlemen, and again, congratulation to you all thy four years and it's pretty incredible, man, y'all. UH set in an amazing platform for guys to come in and speak their mind. And yeah, and I have some real conversation.
Speaker 6: Yea.
Speaker 1: Yes, we pride ourselves on that you served as VP of player program and development for the Heat since nine. But I want to back up a little bit from your retired When you retired, that transition, What was that transition from I've been an athlete my entire career, it's over, now, what's next?
Speaker 4: How was that journey for you?
Speaker 5: It's it was a difficult journey because you know, the competitive juices were still flowing, you know, for all of us. I mean you guys uh shared that journey with me. And when it stops, you know, you got to find something that kind of supplement to kind of supplement that loss that competitiveness, that camaraderie. And at first, you know, outside of my business interests, yeah, my all my foundation stuff that kept me busy, you know, but nothing really kept feel that void of the competitiveness. Golf was the only thing I could think of at that particular time, you know, where it was it was an opportunity for me to compete against me and work on my mentor was more than just my body, you know, because I felt like I had perfected this this craft of basketball and done some amazing things at that level. So at the time golf and then I got the opportunity, I got the call from from Riles and sat down with Mickey and we talked about that transition into the front office and how I could help the organization from that perspective.
Speaker 1: Interesting, we're in a super player powerment era and obviously we came from you're a little bit older than us. We came from an era of was told to do we had to do it, and we did it and Upstawns we had to deal with all of it. There was no running, there was no jumping. It's a little different these days. And you know, what is you kind of feel like in the current kind of mentality of players when you came in the league to the mentality of players that are in the league now.
Speaker 5: It's changed tremendously. Yeah, And I think, and to be candid, you know, because of the amount of wealth that is generated playing basketball. You mentioned the word empowerment. You know, I think that from the perspective of players, it's kind of gone overboard because they feel so empowered, you know, they don't have to take instruction, you know, and it's unfortunate that it's come to that, but it's also a beautiful thing that our game has grown accordingly. In our credit. David Stern got rest his soul, you know, who was a dear friend of mine, you know, and I had a chance to pick his brain, you know when he was with us, uh and then now had them Silver and his staff. You know, they're doing a tremendous job, they really are. They've grown the game tremendously from a global perspective, and the players are the product. We're reaping the benefits, you know, and I know we all wish we could kind of turn back the hands, turn back the hands of time, you know, and benefit from the fruits of the labor that has put forth now, you know. And then we got this TV deal coming up, and from my understanding there's gonna be some competition with NBC and Team So, I mean, that's going to be more money, be worth the party price of the mission to watch that, you know. So the players are going to benefit greatly from it, truly.
Speaker 1: You spoke to the growth of the game and the vision of David Stern, and you know, as we currently speak, five straight years, foreign players want the MVPs and the knock. When you were coming in the game and when we were coming in the game, was European players were a little soft so they couldn't kind of fit into the physicality of our game. Skilled we couldn't fit into the physicality that game. And I think with the growth of the game, it's kind of grown more towards a European style of basketball, so.
Speaker 5: You know what, and the reason being is because the mentality is different over there. The culture speak to that is different rules too. Yeah, I mean they grew up a little hungrier, almost like we did when we were younger. You know, there's a certain hunger level. I was with David Stern. We were playing an exhibition game and when we had the Big Three here in Miami, and I was coming down with him and I coming down on the elevator, okay, and I just started working with the team recently and as vice president, and I said, David, I said, what is it about us coming over here to play? And from a business perspective, I had to think about it when he responded to me, but his direct response was all we need is three hundred million of them. And I thought about it when you think of the volume of eyes that are following the game of basketball over in China. I mean he got billions, a billion, over a billion, one two one point three billion people over there, and he said, oh, we needed three hundred million, which, which, for lack of a better word, trumps which trump's the.
Speaker 4: Amount of eyes that we have.
Speaker 5: You know, so when you think about the business perspective of it, you know, it's like, you know, the volume of eyes that are global. Really, you know, has has been a lot more uh beneficial for the league because from an international perspective, now we're sparking the interest of this young, hungry generation of Europeans and then the national players, whether it be Africans, you know, whether it be you know, you know, whether it be you know, Europeans and Serbians. And you think about when Miyama, you think about you know, Joel and Bib. I mean, the list goes on. Man. You know, you think about the Joker, you know, you think that was sparked by the seed Planet by David Stern back in nineteen ninety two when we implemented the Dream Team and it just spread like wildflife.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure he's happy and down.
Speaker 1: Obviously, the growth of the game sixth straight overseas MVPs.
Speaker 4: Do you see this kind of trend continuing to grow?
Speaker 1: Do you think American players will come back around and kind of meet the challenge.
Speaker 5: There is a reason why each team has a staff of three, four, five, even six folks that travel throughout the year outside of our country to identify table. There's a reason why each NBA team has an international scoutings. That's the reason for that, you know. And that's what we are. That's what the league is. And I don't see it going backwards at all, you know, I see it growing even more. I don't know the exact percentage, but you know, we're coming close to almost fifty percent. You know, you got to think of the amount of jobs in the league. Now, you only got four hundred and fifty jobs. Man, So you got millions of young people playing the game of basketball in the United States that are dreaming about playing in the NBA. But what gets in the way of this process of developing your game and doing all the things you need to do to take care of your body is the money, you know, and it starts with au basketball. You know, you basketball is tainted. I play a basketball difference much differ, much different.
Speaker 3: And now that's.
Speaker 5: Tainted by these industries, man, you know, giving these coaches money, you know, and it's not even about developed up in the players. It's not even about developing his fundamentals and the skills of the game. It's not about that anymore. When over there, that's all it's about. That's all it's about.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: And then mean, look at Luca Jesus christ Man. I mean, his skill level is all the charge is off the charge and it's not like that. You know, our young people here can't develop like that as well. But it's too much. It gets in the way of it, you know, it's too much gets in the way of that process, you know. And thank god, you know, I'm you know, I'm here to be. And my son's like I got a fourteen year old who's six or four weards aside sixteen shoe and he loves the game, and I'm going to make sure that he develops his skill level. But at this particular age, I'm going to make sure that, you know, but not every child has the benefit of having a Hall of Famer and their lives, you know, and certainly in their ear and what have you. You know, But the game has changed, and you know, it's a beautiful game, it really is. And I love the fact that we're generating a significant amount of income to take ah to have an opportunity to take care of generations of families. You know, I like that from that perspective, you know, but decide I don't like is you know how it gets in the way of the actual basketball development. Absolutely in the hunger part, it kind of gets in the way.
Speaker 1: I mean, we talked about this with Dion last week or a couple of weeks ago we were in Colorado. Is just everything that's handed to these young kids in our country.
Speaker 5: And college players, right, I mean, these guys planning for four different schools in four.
Speaker 2: Years, right, that's it has to be regulated.
Speaker 4: Comes a time where you can't run though, yeah, there was nowhere to run. I didn't play. I got to sit here.
Speaker 1: You had to get better, you had to And for the same reason you spoke, you know, I got fifteen year old twin boys, same thing. That's why I coached them in a development We're not doing too many games. It's one of by development and understanding the game. But like I said, everyone is fortunate enough to have that experience in their ear, you know. And these parents are listening to whatever these shoe companies are saying. These other companies are prominent and dreams. That's a whole another story. Fortunate, it really is championship formula.
Speaker 2: You have front row seats to the Super Team era Lebron Wade Bosh. It seems like they might they era might be coming to an end. What do you think the formula is to building a championship team?
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, you got to get guys to buy in and understanding exactly what they need to do collectively collectively. It ain't just one person, right, collectively, what do y'all need to do collectively in order to be successul You know you got to be on time, you know, you gotta There has to be a certain level of tenacity where everything is done together. You know. That means you know, everything from riding on the bus to the games together, you know, to showing up to you know, one of your teammate's daughter's birthday parties together, you know, conditioning together, doing I mean, all these little things. It might not it might seem very minute, but when it comes nut cutting time and you in the trenches and you rolle to look to your right and look to your left, you know your guys are there right because y'all been there consistently together, you know, flying on the plane, doing the tough times together, talking about it, watching film on the plane after a loss, you know, on to the next city. It's just a lot of different things, just doing stuff together. Then obviously you know, following which you know a lot of coaches get then they get a lot of they get a bad rap because their escapegoat. You know what I'm saying. And I'm not going to start mentioning any names, you know, but you know it, players got to take some responsibility. Yeah, you know, there have to be some responsibility there. You know, it can't be just okay, let's get ready to coach. You know, it's the coach for and from a from a winning standpoint. You know, you got to be in it right from the start, everybody. And it can't be no hitting agendas. Everybody has to be in it together to do whatever it takes in order to win, as simple as that. Now, injuries all part of the game. It gets in the way sometimes, you know, but next man up mentality. You know, that's why everybody has to stay ready for them when their numbers call. You got to stay ready to come in and produce. And I complain that Hey, you know, I'm not playing and you know that's that's what it comes down to. That era for us, Yeah, we had to be three, but we had an incredible supporting cast of guys that came in off this job, you know, and did their job and contributed. That's what That's what it came down to.
Speaker 3: The five man has evolved like crazy.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows that joke and YOK and NB the way they play in their style. What are the three trades you need to be you need to have in the cyniphym to be successful.
Speaker 5: Uh, well, first of all, you know, the number one trade is this this era, right is you got to have a certain skill level now out on the floor. Yeah, you got to be the handle the ball just a little bit too much, but just a little bit for hand aff Uh. You got to be in a knock knock down in mid range and maybe a three three pointer every now and then. You got to be able to have that skill. But you got to have a certain comfort level with handling the ball. And last, but not least, you got to be in the best shape of your life. Yeah, yeah, you do. I mean you got to be in the best shape of your life because you're running now, you got to be up on I mean it's a lot more movement now out on the perimeter, and you got to be in the best shape of your life.
Speaker 6: You do.
Speaker 2: Adam Silva, it seems like, you know, he's kind of going back to the he wants to go back to the more physical style. And as you see now with Minnesota having so much success going to the two big man style, the Big four and the Big five style, and they have says you think it's gonna get back to that eventually.
Speaker 5: I don't know, Jane. You I mean I would love for it too, lived in that area like that. Yeah, that would be entertaining. Yeah, really would you know. I'm sure they're not gonna let it get out of hand to the point where it was like the next Heat series. They're not gonna let it get it to get to that, right, But I think they should allow some physicality because scoring is way too easy, man, way too easy. Jesus Christy. I mean you can hardly touch guys man. Yeah, I think it'd be good for the game. Yeah, I do switch up a little bit. We want to talk about your upbringing. Can you share how you ended up in Foster care. You talked about Miss.
Speaker 2: Fanny three, Yeah, and the value she put it, she instilled in you, and she fostered forty nine children.
Speaker 3: That says a lot about her. Can you speak about it?
Speaker 5: Well, you know when you think about you know, broken homes, you know, I was a product of it. And there's so many children out there that could grow up being raised by their grandmother and what have you, the fathers, homes, things of that nature. You know, my mother and father, you know, they were married for eleven years and it didn't work out. It's as simple as that happens. We went to counseling and you know, I remember this clearly, you know how detailed everything was from that perspective, you know, you know, and I got there was some emotional barriers that we had to break down as a family, and I didn't handle it too well, you know, and I ended up staying under the care of the Social services for because my mom and dad had their own demons that they were dealing with, and the therapist told them that, you know, they needed an opportunity to get themselves straight before they started taking care of me. And so I had to stay in this group home for a little bit and a little bit turned into almost a year, so staying in the group home for years, still going through counseling sections. They asked me did I want to go home? I reached a point where I was frustrated. I didn't want to go and choose who I wanted to live with. At that particular time, I was twelve years old, man, you know. And finally, the way the system works is usually kids that are in the system, they identify families for you to visit and possibly live with, and foster families.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 5: So MS three is something that she had done a good portion of her life in taking in kids, and she took me in and immediately I could kind of feel the love and the deep concern and the caring and all of it. I could feel it in the household. You know. I didn't want to go, but it was a blessing for me, you know, because I didn't realize, you know, that everything that I needed was right there, not just in the household, but the schools that I went to at that particular time. My junior high school coach coach Lassay, he was more he was a father figure for me. My JV coach coach Spelman He was a father figure, very disciplinarian. You know, It's something that I needed at that particular time. And then my high school coach at that time was Bill Lasster. You know, he was a product of John B. Mcclennan, who worked alongside of James Maasmith, and he he was a defensive minded coach. My high school coach, Bill Lassiter, and all of the things that I needed at a particular time, man were right there for me. And I ended up being a number high school player in the country just based on the opportunity that I was given by Fanty three, you know. And she was a faith based woman, she very spiritual woman, faith based, a retired school teacher, and she was a giving woman. So she implemented all those things in me. And when I left the Nests, you know, I didn't look back. I would come back and visit her here and there. But you know, when I got to DC Man Georgetown, you know, Big John just was handed the baton and you know, you know how Big John was. You know, he ain't take no mess and he treated all of us like we were his sons. And you know, it was what I needed in that particular time in the Big CD. I had a lot of things, you know, coming at me, being a number high school player in the country, you know, and Big John kind of kept me on the straight and narrow and ended up graduating through the wishes of Fanny three, my foster mom, ended up graduating and getting my degree in Georgetown. I could have easily left early. I had an opportunity to do it, especially after my freshman year.
Speaker 3: I could have. You made a promise to her.
Speaker 5: I made a promise to her that I would get my degree. That was all she was concerned about. She wanted me to get my degree. Yeah, that's beautiful.
Speaker 2: He was six five or thirteen years old, Feller levels hoop and watching Patrick Ewing. What role did Patrick you didn't play on your on basketball for you?
Speaker 5: I mean he played an incredible role because at that time, you know NCAA basketball, what's huge back then? Five slam in jama I mean, I mean, you David, you know Georgetown, back then Carolina? I mean, come on, man, it was everything. So as a kid, I was tuned in right so and back doing that championship game when they played Carolina and watching Patrick block all those shots. Man, I was enamored by that. I was like, I want to do that, and I kind of pattered my game after him. And you know, I loved the starter jackets and the gear and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Growing up.
Speaker 5: I was attracted to the joke with everything, everything that represented Georgetown, I was attracted to it. And the rest is history. You know. Patrick ended up being somewhat of a mentor to me. And I remember being in the Nike ABCD camp in Princeton, and I remember Sean Kemp, Billy Ones, I mean, the whole crop was there. I mean it was we were all on display in Princeton and Big John h called Patrick up. Patrick drove down from New York and uh he was sitting in the stands of Big John And as I was on the floor stretching, getting ready for the games, and I felt somebody tap me on the shoulder and it was it was Patrick. I was like, so I had to put it on the I had to put on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah man.
Speaker 5: So yeah, now we've developed this brotherly type of relationship you know, between uh myself, him and the kentbe you know, and uh, Big John instilled a lot in us, a whole lot of us over the years. God rest his soul because Big John played the center position and he played behind one of the greatest to ever do it in Bill Russell. So Big John instilled all of that all of that knowledge in us through throughout his tutelage of doing.
Speaker 2: During my years at Georgia, I got a short story about Big John. We was in Golden State together and I just came from the team and I I had a little trouble the two seasons before, but I had an interesting story and I was coming back playing well and John they wanted to do it. Jones working for T and T and they was doing to that Sunday special on Baron Davis. Well, he convinced them to do it on me and tell my story and had my mom come because it was a Mother's Day game. Wow, and he did a story on me and my mom for Mother's Day. But he forced T and T to do that, So that shows the character. Yeah, and it meant a lot to me because I needed at the time because I was getting so much bad press. He wanted to get me some good press on Mother's Day with my mama. So yeah, yeah, and my mama tell this story to him, she gets tear outed because she knew what I was going through at the time. So for me and her to do that on national TV, it was great. So I was at the Big John.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know when when John walked out of that game protesting Prop forty two, that was huge for all young black ADATs and it just defined the character of who Big John was all about. You know. He was about bringing up the next generation man and he knows he knew that if that was implemented, then that would have kept a lot of young people of color from getting quality education and experience in higher learning and getting an opportunity, you know. So that kind of speaks to the man that he was, you know, and he taught us accordingly, you know, based on those things. His gym was like his classroom. He received a lot of criticism because he closed his doors, he didn't allow any media, and because he wanted to teach us the way without a distraction, without being dissected or ridiculed. For his teaching tactics. They worked for us all turn out all right, you know, because of it. You know what I'm saying. It was tough love too. It was a tough love type of teaching, type of coaching.
Speaker 1: What we needed though, what we need was love behind them, and I feel like that's what can't be translated these days. Everything we're saying is coming from a place of love, but its just it's not translated the same.
Speaker 2: You know, individuals are trying to give it to No. No, you're right, You're definitely right about that. And then now.
Speaker 5: Players don't receive it quite like we received it back then. Like I said, you know, the word fragile is used quite a bit because unfortunately, it's hard to say the things that need to be said to people. It's hard to say those things that need to be said to these players, you know, because they take offense to it, and you know they're fragile from that perspective, you know, when ultimately it's about helping you improve your way of thinking.
Speaker 1: That it was.
Speaker 3: We're talking to.
Speaker 5: Improve your way of thinking, you know, so you can be successful. That's all it's about. That's all about. Let's move on to talk about another great man.
Speaker 2: I just came from a v A I coached had a Nobnson game every year his class, high school classic, and he had it in v A and we practiced at Boo Williams, and I saw your name on the wall, and so many people named this crazy facility to big old size. Yeah Joe Smith jacked Jackson, so many Joe Yeah he was. He also spoke at Alanson Street, NAM and I got a chance to meet him for the first time. Why is he such a great person? I mean, I see all the people he touched, but but he's just a different person in the cities where he's from, like people really admire.
Speaker 5: When I think about Boo, you know, I think about first of all, he was another angel in my life and a father figure, and he really took me outside of my my environment and exposed me to the game of basketball at a totally different less to what could be exactly, which is why I got the national recognition in high school, is because Boo exposed me to talent across the country. He took me outside of my environment, you know, and he challenged me on so many different levels, you know, And that's what I loved about Boo. He challenged me. You know, he was telling me how great I could be. But at the same time, you know, he challenged me consistently in order for me to be great. You know, I didn't know anything about five Star Camp until I met Boo Williams, you know, and five Star was a place to be. You know. It was where everybody went to compete against the best players across the country. And he threw me out there and I got humble, you know, but I got better, right, you know, I guess the better way I got. I got better because of Boo's initiative. And that's how he built that particular empire is because he took guys from the street and he took him out of this invisible fence, out of their neighborhoods. He took them out of that and he exposed them to you know, different places across the country. You know, Boo is the reason why I flew. I flew my first airplane, you know. Yeah, So you know, I thank God for Boo and what he what he did for me as a player, what he did for my career, what he did for me as a young man.
Speaker 3: And he has like fifty NBA players names.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's two big old with three courts and all the bothy.
Speaker 4: I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 1: He's actually back coaching the seventeens this year too. He's coaching again.
Speaker 5: Good for him, Yeah, he was, Yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 3: How good was Sean Kemper high school man?
Speaker 5: Incredible to watch? Yeah, really incredible to watch because he was so athletic and uh he was.
Speaker 2: He was a sixteen Vince Carter. Yeah, he was great. That's a great way to explain it.
Speaker 5: The elevation, the hangtime, the explosion, all of that. He was this car. Yeah he really was.
Speaker 3: That's a great way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was thinking about Vincent six six Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: It was yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: He moved like a gard almost when he was in the air.
Speaker 4: Yeah he maybe that ship look sweet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the hang time, walking through the air, all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: I just connected with him last week. Yeah, we're talking on the phone now. See something is his number on through Instagram? Said he want to come on the show. He said watching that's great and he went back in the Canada space too. You should put him on the show. You should get Billy on the show. Ju Yeah.
Speaker 5: He is the first versato for six nine point four.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah he was yeah, yeah, yeah, most can handle it. Can rebound could fill up the statute.
Speaker 1: We touched obviously on John Thoms. So we're going to get a little bit more in depth. First time he met with you and your family, explain what that was like and just how you kind of knew.
Speaker 5: Well, the uniqueness about Big John was, you know, he always wanted to separate himself from the rest, and he did a good job of that because his number one priority was making sure that young black men graduated. You know, that wasn't a priority for a lot of coaches. It wasn't an emphasis for our coaches. It really wasn't, you know. And especially coming from there inner city, he knew how important that was to the families of these young black men. So Bob Wade, Bobby Krimins, Terry holland Jim Beheim, they all came to my house, not together, but one at a time, and they gave their pitch. Big John asked to be less. He sat in the living room. All the other coaches were like, Hey, you know, we're gonna give him this. He's going to get this. You know, if you all need to come down, we'll fly you down. And if y'all need a job, we'll make sure y'all have a job so y'all can be close to him. All these these things they were promising. Big John came in. He was very candid. He's a mystery. You know, thanks for having me here. Now I remember it clear. He looked in the face. He said, I'm not promising your son anything. I'm not going to give him anything. He's got to work for everything that he gets. Thee He's looking at her and telling her this, and I was like, this, my it's far different from what the other coaches said. And then finally Big John said, he said, I will promise you one thing, though, mystery. If he goes to class, he's gonna graduate. Some street looked at me, she was, well, we know where you're going to school straight up. I mean she was like because she was a huge advocate of education and being a retired school teacher whatever, you know. So you know I took that next step. You know, I'm annoyance to me. I didn't realize the challenges I was going to face. So you know, I did enough just to make sure I stayed on the team my freshman year and he called me to his office. You know, I had it good grades enough to stay on the team, so I was good. You know, he called me to the office and after the first semester and he said, look, he said, you can do better than this. And I was like, what do you mean I'm doing all right? I'm on the team. He's like, listen to me, son, he said, if you had to cure for cancer, you wouldn't even know it. This was his exact worst to me, And I said, well, I ain't trying to be a doctor. Coach. He said, listen to me, son, you can do better. He said, if you don't do better, you won't play. So that next semester I made the Dean's list. So all it took was him motivated me, you know, and years later I look back on that fast forward. I've served sixty years on the executive board at George Shann University, and never in my wildest dreams as a freshman at Georgetown what I thought I would be what I've served as one of the board of trustees at George Shann University. But all of that was because of Big John's motivation. For sure.
Speaker 4: Obviously taught you a lot of things, and you spoke to some of them.
Speaker 1: One thing I found interesting and it paid off for you once you got in the league with the contracts of negotiating for yourself was something that he spoke about and was instrumental about and advocating for you, guys, to be negotiating for yourself and then also how to show gratitude to someone who's made an impact in your life.
Speaker 4: Can you speak to both those?
Speaker 5: Well, you know what he he always told us he had this deflated basketball on his desk, and the basketball always represented the message that he would always tell us, you know, basically, don't let the game use you. You use the game, you know, don't let you know, there's sum total of seven to nine pounds of air be your only existence, you know, because when the ball stops balance bouncing, what are you going to do? Yeah, what are you going to do? You know, So that deflated basketball is there was always there to remind us of that from that perspective, you know. So so learning doing the things you needed to do to take responsibility for your business was extremely important. You know, knowing that, hey, your business manager, you got to you gotta audit people that's taking care of your money. You know, you got to be in those negoti ciation meetings. You got to be in those meetings negotiating, listening to what's going on so that you can make intelligent decisions. You know, people tend to look at you differently. You know when you show interest in what's going on with your business, they have a different instead of you not being there and relying on somebody else to do it for you. So he emphasized that tremendously, you know, outside all of that, you know, to give it back. Part his life embodied that, so it automatically had an influence on us. So when I think about my high school coach, when I think about Family three, when I think about my teachers, you know, I think about Bei John. When you know, when I think about all these people that contribute to my well being as a person as well as an athlete, I would be doing them a disservice if I didn't pay it for because you know, they helped me get to where I am. You know, I wouldn't be here without other people's contribute. We wouldn't be sitting here today in front of these mics without other people's contributions, you know. So we have when you have an opportunity to pay it for, you do it because somebody helped you get here from that perspective, you know, which is why we just celebrated twenty years for our foundation, Morning Family Foundation, which we have provided educational opportunities for children and families in there in the city. You know, the cost of living here in South Florida since I got here in ninety five has gone up close to fifty percent. And it's hard for a lot of the natives to eat to live here anymore because it's so expensive to live here now. And when people come here, they go east of ninety five, they go towards the water, they go towards the ocean. It's beautiful here. They don't go west where there's about a million people that live below the poverty level. And there's a lot of people that know that don't know that part of Miami. And when you think about a quarter of the population here that live below the poverty level, you know, a byproduct of that is, you know, high school dropouts, teenage pregnancy, drug abuse, criminally related activities. The list goes on. So what I know works is making sure that relationships are established and through those relationships, through our foundation, you know, we have built through the through the help of other individuals, we build a fifty six styles on square feet facility literally about a two minute drive from here, that has gymnasium, fourteen classrooms, charter school, in school, after school, summer programming, dance studio, music studio, two technology centers in there a health and wellness component as well, mental health and wellness component, all free of charge for this inner city community, this historic community called Overtown. I've been doing this for twenty years now, and we just celebrated our twentieth anniversary in our grand opening of the building. It was a twenty million dollar project, which we raised all the money through local businesses and corporations and private donors. Well, we graduated one hundred percent of our kids from high school. We bring them in at age five, We followed them to age twenty five, and close to ninety percent of our kids go to college and graduate. Now we have about eight of our employees and staff that have gone through the program, graduated, and now they're working for us. You know. So this is something I want to replicate, not just across South Florida, but across the country, you know, because there's so many inner cities across the country that don't that don't have a place, kids don't have a place of refuge. You know. I was I spent some time with President Obama and we were golfing, and I remember him telling me in the golf car. One day we were talking about working in the city and he was talking about, you know, some of the obstacles that they face in Chicago and things of that nature, and he said, the problem with our young people across the country is that they don't have anywhere to go and they don't have the right people holding them accountable for their act. So we've created that. We've created that with the help of an organization in Portland, Oregon called SEI Self Enhancement Incorporated. They've been around for forty plus years. They've been receiving grants, huge grants from phild Knight Nike, and we I adopted that model through my good friend Tony Hobson, who is the founder, and we implemented it here and the rest is history, you know. So that has been my life's work. I've been in talks with your Donas Haslam to replicate it in his and his home borough of Liberty City as well, you know. And there's so many other areas that needed as well, you know. But I'm a strong believer that kids have the ability, many of them just don't have the resources. Okay, So you can create the resources and you can surround them with strong, consistent, caring voices of influences consistent. It has to be consistent. If you can surround them that, then you can develop a mentality to help them understand exactly their full potential and what they're capable of doing with their lives.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Other than that, You know a lot of these kids fall victim to the streets.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's as simple as that. They fall victim to the streets. What they see is pretty much what they'll be.
Speaker 4: Right, you know, that's what they look up to, what they see. First of all, congratulations on that.
Speaker 1: I didn't know the depth of it, obviously, I knew it was Sean, But the depth and celebrating twenty years that is beautiful.
Speaker 4: Back to hooping.
Speaker 1: You jump on the scene as a freshman average five blocks a game at Georgetown, Ma Tumbo becomes a teammate two incredible shot blockers. We heard a story about Matumble trying to pick up girls at the Georgetown bar. Can you tell us anything about that?
Speaker 5: Hey, listen, man, listen. We all had a good time college. Yeah, the ki had an even batter time. He took advantage of those moments when we had parties to go to because he was the one that was heads above everybody else, so all the eyes is on him. He took advantage of it. But we had a lot of We had a lot of fun. We had some memorable moments. Probably one of the most memorable moments that I had with him, we were we were dormates, and his feet hung off the bed in the dorm and everything because he's about yeah seven two. But anyway, one day he uh, he was in the kitchen cooking and he ran out of he uh he ran out of flour and he was trying to make some chickens, so he used some corn bread mix. Man, he had the whole apartment small game. He had fire department had come and smoke coming all out of the he in there chicken and chicken had bird on the outside. Yeah, it was wrang inside. It was like I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cornmeal bro not corn bread. Cornmeal bro not corn bread.
Speaker 1: We spoke to when you came obviously how big the n Cuba was back then. You guys ran into a jugging out of a college team in un LB in nineteen ninety one. Speak to that team, one of the arguably one of the greatest college teams of all time by far.
Speaker 5: I mean they were well built and dark, well coached, you know, coach Tarkanian. You know, you had LJ and Stacey Augman, you know, and you know they had a line up and then they had a bench as well, you know may Lee maybe. Yeah, they were all so we had young guards and they were overwhelmed, you know. So it's hard. It was hard for them with the pressure that Greg Anthony was putting on them, Anderson Hunt Anderson Hunt, it was it was hard for them to even get us the ball like we wanted, you know. So, Uh, They're definitely a team for the ages. When you think of n C double A dominant n C double A teams, they were definitely a team for the ages.
Speaker 3: That was the guard away, That was one silid guard away from then.
Speaker 5: That was it. Yeah, we were away, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right right away from me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was definitely. Yeah. We lost to them in Arizona. We played that game in Arizona, Big Game.
Speaker 2: Draft number two overall the nineteen ninety two draft to the Charlotte Hornets, one pick after Shack and one pick for late speaking.
Speaker 5: The shock we were yesterday when Beyama uh one unanimously. Okay, so Ernie, and they announced it and they let Shaq read the envelope and uh, Ernie was talking about all the players that had won Rookie of the yearn unanimously, and Shaq was like, I didn't want to unanice me and Erniet said no, no. A guy named Alones in morning got two votes. So I'm watching and he's like, damn you Alanes one morning, so I texted him. I said, Shaq, I still love you, man. Let me enjoy my two. He called me right after they went to commercial and they were all laughing on that. Let you get. Don't steal my joy, man. I'll tell you all the time.
Speaker 2: When out my twenty ten and Charlotte, everybody knew I didn't have a chance to win the MVP, but I got a vote.
Speaker 4: Let me enjoy my vote ten. There was one vote somebody to vote that year.
Speaker 5: I know, somebody always tell I always tell the big fella. I said, look, I had numbers Rookie season two. I had crazy that Cason, and just like you, I had numbers. And I said, and it should have been Cold Rookie of the Year because I always tell him. Orlando didn't make it to the playoffs. We did Charlotte, Charlotte. When we went to the playoffs the first time, I said, so, y'all didn't make it. I led my team to the place away that should have held a little bit away, but they gave it to him outright.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So you average twenty ten right at the gate?
Speaker 5: Yo, I was twenty one ten and three blocks.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah at the gate yeah yeah, yeah. Well that year. What do you think was your welcome to the NBA moment.
Speaker 4: M J.
Speaker 5: We just gonna say we're gonna starting initials. Yeah. Yeah. It was when he dumped on me. He dumped on me, screamed, he flexed and scream I was like, man, a bunch of shots, you know. He came on. It was like, I mean, the roar after he dunked on me, man, I was like, Okay.
Speaker 4: At home or in Chicago.
Speaker 5: I was at home. He got to good Yeah yeah, no, no, I'm blaming Kendall Guild for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Gill was always talking talking ship to Mike, and I'm like, Mike, I'm like you, he's gonna blow past you. He coming at me, Yeah, at me?
Speaker 6: He co me.
Speaker 3: What's flex Chapman on that team. Uh uh, because I remember I remember.
Speaker 5: When Rix was on that TV he got traded on the team.
Speaker 2: I remember, I remember the movie talking about was when Jordan's in and out of him and got by him and that's when he Yeah, yeah, I remember the move. I remember the move that was Rexy in and out. You had the highest attendance in the Jersey sales that year. You have j Muggs and Kender Gilt.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: How electric was that at the time.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you what, man, that was a fun team to play with. It really was. It was exciting. Muggs is the best. Have you had Muggs on the show? Of course, my guy, Mugs is the best man. He really is, you know. And when you think about the charisma that LJ had with the gold tooth and wearing the dresses Grandmama and all that stuff. Then you think about Mugs being the smallest player in the league and young people relating to Muggsy, you know. And then you had me the new kid on the block, you know. It was it was a matchmate in heaven man. And then we had the fly Till Jerseys. Then we had to start the Jackets. Charlotte the Purple and the Teal Jackets. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. So you think about that time, man, it was like it was perfect timing for us, and you know we kind of the immediately developed the respect of the league, you know, because we came in running people off the court. We had this passing game type offense, you know, where the ball was moving, moving, moving, and we got it out quick and Mugs is pushing in. Muggs like, don't let me beat you down the court. So we were flying and he was distributing.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: So it was fun. It was a fun game, it really was, you know. And then for us to beat Boston in the first round, that was huge for the city we had. Like you said, we had the as attendance in Carolina. I mean that's a basketball state, you know. So the following was we couldn't go to we were rock stars in Charlotte. We didn't pay for any meals everywhere we went. It was it was, it was fun.
Speaker 1: It really was speak to I think someone who gets looked over as LJ had a lot of game. And obviously you guys have your battles in college and the pros, but teammates at one point too. Speak to lj's versatility and what this game was.
Speaker 5: Like for he was six six sixty seven. He was similar to a Charles Barkley, you know, but probably a little bit more athletic. Uh, very skilled, great hands around the basket. Unfortunately the injury kind of derailed his career. But if he would have never gotten the back injury, you know, who knowstball. He was high basketball asking LIKEQ was high. Have you had him on the show?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Today to give you to get him in the show, man, I mean.
Speaker 5: Just you gotta think he came doing an era. A lot of people don't realize he wanted the dunk contest. Yeah that yeah, yeah, man, he wanted dunk guys. Man. He was extremely athletic, you know, sixty Yeah. He was a load on that block, Yeah he was. He was a load on that block, man. So him and not complimenting each other extremely well.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, he's alute.
Speaker 1: So you know, getting traded one day before the season in ninety five, what was your first interaction like with Roles because.
Speaker 4: He just got there right before you, right, yeah.
Speaker 5: First of all, leading up to that, I had a conversation with Pat you and I said, yo, man, I said, look, I got a chance. I got a chance to come to New York and play with you. I got a chance to go to LA. I got a chance to go. I think it was it was Indiana and then Miami and Pat was like, go to Miami. And I was like what I said, dude, we got a chance to play together. Man, we can play together in New York. Win a championship. He's like, no, go to Miami. Le Row's build a team around. I said, well, what about his practices? He said? He said, dude, you went to Georgia. He said, you can have it so under Pat Ewan's bless us. Wow, I went, I went to Miami. That's how that all happened. That's how that all happened. A lot of people don't know that.
Speaker 4: So that's ninety five. So Shaq was in LA. You would have been the first singer to go to that life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I would have been.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I had a chance. Yeah, I had a chance. Yeah. Like it was four different teams.
Speaker 4: So what happened to Charlotte just ran out of money or didn't have the money.
Speaker 5: We had an owner that wasn't willing to make the investment. You know, he wasn't willing to make the investment, and for lack of better words, you know, he basically said, I wasn't worth the money I was asking, you know, So you know, we left. David Foulk was my agent at the time, you know, and he suggested, he said, look, I'm going to get you this number and these are the several teams that I could get it from if you choose where you want to go.
Speaker 4: And the number was one hundred.
Speaker 5: It was one O five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one O five for seven so South Beach, Oh yeah, yeah, you know, he said.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, yeah, the best thing ever happened to me. Yeah, and came down here. I've seen this place change tremendously. Been a blessing to experience this culture and develop some amazing relationships, but more importantly, to be a part of an organization. I'm very proud to be a part of an organization led by Garrison family, Mickey, Malan, Harrison and Nick And you know, first class people.
Speaker 3: You can, we can. I can tell them nonside looking in it since.
Speaker 5: You they appreciate you, first class, They appreciate you. I mean, they are first class people. You know, there's a family. When they don't take that that word lightly. There's a family atmosphere for sure, and the culture was developed, you know when they bought Pat Riley here. You know, when they bought Pat here. You know, Pat told me his dream. We practiced at this old fitness center. We didn't even have a practice facility or anything it was. And then the outer bounds of the fitness center was a wall, so Pat passed practices in there. We were running into the wall. Part of the wall didn't have pad on it. It was no joke, I mean. And some intense practices on that little court. And then one day after practice, all the guys had left, Pat coach and I sat on the floor and we talked for two hours. And that right then I knew exactly what he wanted. You know, he said, I have a dream of a parade going down bisc Game Boulevard. And he said that I brought you here to help us get help us get there. We started the process and you know, he made trays and he got players here. You know, he started developing this mentality of hardest working, most professional, toughest, mean, it's nastiest team in the NBA, most disliked. He started developing that, you know, and he imp He implemented that in all the players that he bought here. And you know, if he didn't want any parts of it, you know, he got ready. It's as simple as that, you know. But you came here to be a part of that mentality. And muh fortunate enough, you know, through trades and players being attracted to the two you know, coach Riley and the city and you know, our organization. You know, we were able to get three championships out of this. You know, we drafted d Wade. Some amazing things happened obviously, you know, with Tim Hardaway and myself. You know, we kind of started.
Speaker 4: Don't want to talk about that duo because that was one of the nastiest in.
Speaker 5: The night we started. The momentum, man, that minum was huge, you know, and we were fun to watch, you know. You know, we came up shorter a lot of times, but we were fun to watch. You know. We had the franchise record for games one. It was sixty one games, you know, and and then along came d Wade, and you know, and then Shot came in here and we won our first championship in two thousand and six, you know, which was an incredible ride. It really was an incredible ride. We got that parade down Biscame Boulevard and then we bought the Big three here man, you know, so you know we're trying to get back there again.
Speaker 1: Big out incredible d Wade was in that Dallas series because I kind of feel like that's when he put his mark credible game.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you what to average. I think he averaged like thirty four thirty five a game against that team in the finals. Man, we just put a saddle on man and we rode him. Yeah, yeah, you know, because he had it going. He had the utmost confidence the waded that particular time, and he walked on the court like like nobody can stop me from doing what I want to do. You know. Roles put together an incredible support and cash with Antoine, you know, j Will posey Ud held his weight in you know, on the boards and everything in Shaq and myself GP. I mean, we we got it done, you know, but it took a lot of sweating, man, it really did. You know. We went down oh two, and and then when Mark Cuban got on David Letterman or one of those shows and started talking about he had a parade playing and everything, you know, and that kind of little fire under us, and then we came back and won four games in a row, you know, you know, And and I remember Role telling us clearly, you know, the hardest thing that we're ever doing our lives is won the championship. And he said, you never know you're gonna win one until it happens. He said, you know, you can look great on paper, and you can have all the you know, the personnel in place, you know, but you never know you're gonna win one until it actually until it actually happens, you know, you know. So that was probably one of the greatest basketball moments in my life. Out of all the things that I experienced on the hard floor, that's one of the greatest basketball moments.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 1: I want to back up a little bit real quick. You guys playing the Knicks in the playoffs. Yeah, four years in a row, right, And obviously that there during that ninety eight series, you and LJ getting that fight where Ben Gundy's jumping on people. I think it goes to pay right here, these jumping on people's legs. But how competitive was because a lot of people don't know that arousers in a lawsuit against the Knicks.
Speaker 4: It comes to you, guys.
Speaker 1: You see, those games are going to be very personal, and you guys run into them four straight years in the playoffs and have your battles. But what do you remember most about that rivalry and those series versus the next.
Speaker 5: The level of intensity you knows as competitors. As competitors, it's not right as competitors. You know, once you get once the lather gets going, you start competing against your opponent. You know, the intensity level gets to the point where you know, you're in my way. Yeah yeah, yeah, let me take you back. Yeah, you're in my way from from what's getting done when we need to get done, you know, So what I need to do to get you out of my way?
Speaker 3: Whatever?
Speaker 5: Yeah, go through you. Yeah yeah, that's it. It's the mentality that we had. And you know what Rowles he did develop. He developed that mentality in both of those teams. Yeah, no question he did. So those were his brainchilds, both teams, and then we were both at each other.
Speaker 4: You know, Sony was an assistance.
Speaker 3: To rise, right, insistant to rise.
Speaker 5: You know, So that mentality was developed, it was deep rooted, and we knew we knew each other's plays. We knew everything. That that's why the scores were so low, you know. Yeah, I mean score ended up being you know a lot of games eighty two, eighty five that was a score, you know, because we knew each other's plays. You know, defense was knockdown, drag out, you know, possessions hard for you know, that's when you used to be able to touch people back then you can't touch nobody more than yeah, like this, just man. Well another rivalry that was like that was you gotta throw the l A l A Detroit l A Boston, Boston, Detroit, Okay, and then you gotta throw the shop Chicago Detroit seriously, Yeah, yeah, you gotta you gotta throw Yeah, yeah, yeah, you gotta do Also Indiana Chicago series. That was intense.
Speaker 3: Man, we skip more question than I wanted to ask him. I got a bone to pick with him. Man, you never got that invite. I got never got that invite to that zol some of group.
Speaker 5: Can we can we can we bring it back? Part of bring it back to you man, that was a huge production.
Speaker 4: How many years? For sixteen years we heard about it on the West coast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we used to people used to come from all over the country. I created a festive atmosphere fundraising okay, where we had All Star basketball game, uh, a dinner, black Tied dinner, a comedy show, concert and comedy show, a family health and wellness day, and a golf tournament. I did five a lot, So one of those alone is tough. Yeah. I did all of them, and I had a huge production team, and we did year round planning for that, and it got to the point where it was like the production was like All Star weekend. Yeah, and people would come from all over because we had after parties every night. That's what people would come in town for the after parties as well, So I had different celebrity DJs, DJing and the after parties.
Speaker 6: So it was it was dope. Used to hear about it, yeah, yeah. But more importantly, we raised We raised millions of dollars for our inner city initiatives and providing educational opportunities for children and families, and that's what kind of catapulted the foundation even more and built this momentum behind the work we were doing in the inner city and helping kids go to college and graduating things of that nature. So it was a blessing to do that. It really was.
Speaker 5: But it's a lot of work, man. I could not do that. I could not do it a long time. Yeah, sixteen years. We did it long. It was a lot of fun, a lot of fun, and you know what, what what helped it was a lot of corporations. A lot of corporations kind of sawt up the volume of people that were coming from all over. So we got sponsorships from so many different people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, revenue for the city.
Speaker 1: Something we've been very pro on our show about and during our careers is just, you know, the painkillers and opioids that were pumped into professional athletes.
Speaker 4: We're very pro.
Speaker 1: Cannabis toward all was something that was used and what were some of the other name celebrates, all these different things. So you obviously had kidney issues and would you say some of that was due to the medicine you were taking to be on that court by far?
Speaker 5: I think, first of all, it's my fault because I chose to put it in my body. Uh, it was introduced to me. The painkillers were introduced to me by team trainers, and I used them to I used them to you know, to play.
Speaker 4: You were talking about you were talked back at Georgetown to play through stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, yeah, yeah, I used him to play.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: I needed to. I wanted to get out there and play and compete. You know, I had you know, I had my my fair share of injuries. You know, I had five knee surgeries, you know, three on this knee, two on this knee, and then I had other injuries here and there, you know, and they're part of the game. It was a physical game back then, and between the ice baths, it wasn't enough between between the you know, between the Ebstince Sauce's bass, it wasn't enough. You know, I had to talk. I had to pop up Voltarian or something like that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So you said it's your fault, but it's my fault, okay, But did they give you options? So so it's hard for me to accept that, you know what I'm saying, when they didn't give us options. They only gave us one option, So was it our fault?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, you know what, I'm a grown man, No, not get the Yeah, so somebody offer you some crack, Okay, then it's up to you whether or not you're gonna take it or not.
Speaker 2: Right that different you dealing with the people that y'all have the same common goal to reaching the championship.
Speaker 4: You don't see that they're gonna give you something. Yeah, you know what I'm saying that hurt you long term, like with win it's together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well you know what.
Speaker 5: That's why it's important to educate young people.
Speaker 4: Now, Yeah, exactly, that's my point.
Speaker 5: On alternative ways of healing the body. You know, I'm not gonna blame nobody else but myself, you know, but I do know that it did have enough had an effect on my kidney function, you know, because I don't think I was abusing them. I just think that I just took a lot of them, you know. Yeah, it's not like I was just living off them, because during the off season, I just stopped taking them because I didn't need them there during the season. Yeah, I will pop want to get through it because my achilles was sore, or I had ten to night it's real bad, or my back was hurting that day, or you know something I needed. I need to get out there and play that game though. You know. So now, yoga, your diet, anti inflammatory foods, all of that stuff. Educating yourselves on those particular things, which is what I do. You know, I primarily eat plant based. I got a plant based chef at the house right now, Okay, So I primarily eat plant based. Occasionally I eat fish. I eat no dairy at all, none, whatsoever. So there's alternative dairy products that you use that there's plant butter, and there's you know, plant based cheese, you know, and all that stuff. You know. For so for the most part, so people ask me how I keep myself in great shape, you know, is because I work out five times a week and I eat primarily plant based foods, you know, and occasionally I eat fish, you know. So uh and and and then uh, you know, we have to be proactive with our bodies. But you know, the reason why I found out that I had kidney disease is because of a routine physical that we took with the league that it's mandatory that we take this physical preseason and postseason, and they identified that I had focal sentimental glamari those carossies. It's a rare disease that scars the filters in the kidney, you know. And then years later I found out that it was genetic, you know. And it's amazing how we can kind of identify a lot of health obstacles way in advance if we just get a regular checkup, man, even just once a year, you know, and now as as athletes, because was mandatory for us to do it while we were playing a lot of us Just stop right, you know what I'm saying, which is, you know, which is crazy to me to think that you don't want to know what's going on in your body until it's too late, you know. So you know, things like getting your blood pressure check, you know, getting your p S A check, your prosay check, you know, things of that nature. I mean all the little things man, you know, so and making sure that you get a CT scan, make sure your arteries are clear, you know, because you're not running up and down the court like you used to, you know, so you know, you could possibly have heart disease and you don't even know it, you know. So, so a lot of things that I'm hoping that the league does a better job of helping retired players, guys that you know that that stepped away from the game, providing the necessary resources for them to get, you know, get regular check ups.
Speaker 3: It's important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hold stretch, can you talk us through the recruitment process of getting Brown here and dump the bag full of rings on the table.
Speaker 5: I mean, everybody knows the story man, you know. Listen, Pat Roley is he's a master architect, basketball architect.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: They He's got the nicknames of the Godfather, the don you know when it comes to basketball. Uh, him understanding the game, understanding what it takes to win. I think at some point players reach a point where they're tired of, you know, banging their head against that wall trying to figure out a way to win, and then they make a decision that, okay, I need to go where they have the formula, you know. So I think coaches sell. I think it was an easy sell, you know. I mean at that particular time, you know, lebron And wasn't at a point where he had been trying to win for years and wasn't working out, you know, so he decided to team over d Wade and and CB and and the key to all of that, we'll ceb sacrifice taking a back seat and sacrificing and him taking him sacrificing. He still made the AFSAR team every year, but he still took he took a little bit off of Okay, I won't be getting the ball. I'm the third ship, you know, when obviously he goes to another team. You know, he's the main focus. You know, the key to it all was c B. He did all the little things for us that so you need that one guy to do that. You need the guy and then you need that one guy to take Okay, yeah, you know, I'm gonna do all the little things to help us win. And CB was that block shot, rebound the rebound to kick it to Ray, to win it to to you know, to salvage that championship opportunity. You know what I'm saying. You know, because if if CB doesn't get that rebound and hit Ray on the numbers and he hit that three, then San Antonio wins that championship.
Speaker 3: So don't cut me.
Speaker 7: He don't get that rebound, don't come down there and my mom there.
Speaker 5: Okay, man, that's in the top ten. Easy, come on, man, that's in the top chap. Yes, for sure. Question. Let me tell you what that. Let me tell you about that shot when Ray, when when Ray came to Miami.
Speaker 3: You see something.
Speaker 5: When Ray came to Miami. He uh, this was hilarious. He was doing this drill. When he first came to mind, he was doing this drill where he would lay on the floor. He had somebody passing them the ball in mid air. He would get up, get up off the floor, catch the ball, and shoot.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: That was his drill. We all looked at him like, what the hell are you doing? He lay on the floor, ball to mid air, you get up, catch, shoot, okay. And then he had a drill where you were backpedal. Ball in me there, shoot, catch and shoot. That was the drill. He had to backpedal and you know that space in between, you know exactly where it was. You had to train yourself enough to be exact, not step out of bounds and not have to look down and see if your feet were behind the line. He did that a million times, and for that one shot, for that one shot.
Speaker 4: Question real quick before we get the quick hitters.
Speaker 1: We had Vince Carter on the show a while back and he said the dunk he had on you in Miami kind of fuck your guys, friendship for a little bit, speak for him.
Speaker 5: About five years I had write advanced to my golf tournament. He never came. Okay, listen, I love Vince you know, I love what he's done for the game. He caught me, But ask him how many times I blocked the shot, you know, exactly exactly so, but but he caught me. I mean, this was that type of guy where and I had to. I had the ability where I would meet guys at the rim. You know, I just meet you at the rim because I had big enough hands and I had strong I was strong enough to really just catch you because I knew you were coming. You know, I knew you were coming to the rim. So I'm gonna meet you right at the rim. I will wait for you. And sometimes it was kind of risky because you get caught sometimes. But with Evince, I went up to catch his and he went up another lot. I was like, oh he went up another left, he went up one more level. You it seemed like, yeah, that was pretty nasty. Du Yeah, I'm glad it's a little blurry now, it's not in like HD. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got quick hitters. First team to come to mind.
Speaker 3: Let us know my Miami heat all time starting five.
Speaker 5: Oh man, I mean that's easy. Me at the center, Uh, Timmy and the point, d Wade, bron.
Speaker 3: And c B.
Speaker 4: Top five centers of all time.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, top five centers is Hakeem Kareem, m Russ, Bill Russell, Shack Patrick, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Tougher Practice, John Thompson and.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: One album you can listen to with no skips.
Speaker 5: Uh, with no skips? Oh wow? Two I'm gonna mention too, uh Eric Bean Rockham all right? And the chronic you can just let him play?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, all childhood crush.
Speaker 5: Who's your child childhood crush? Uh? I don't know.
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: Oh the good.
Speaker 1: Time, good time, guilty pleasure.
Speaker 5: Cigar and whiskey man whiskey Yeah, man, A good cigar, a good fine double chateau and no basil hate, basil hate, basil hating neat. Yeah's doing this a while. Won't be in Miami, brother, I'm clear. I'm close to Cuba. Yeah, a lot of cigarslections.
Speaker 2: Last question, if you can see one guest on our show, who would it be?
Speaker 1: But you have to help us get your answer on our show? So somebody you know? Well, did you can say, hey, I sat down with him?
Speaker 4: There was on the show.
Speaker 5: Well, we know the's somebody that I would want to see on your show. Is well, first of all, it isn't alive, you know, so I can't help him get you, but it has to be somebody alive. If you cold, you get it.
Speaker 2: In personal man, you know, let me know, I know you all right.
Speaker 5: So the President Obama, I would like to see you.
Speaker 4: We've we've been told he's supposed to be all this.
Speaker 5: Sw Yeah, like you see President Obama on your show, you know, I mean he's cool, he's got charisma. I've had a chance to spend a lot of time with him and I think you know you guys would do well with interviewing him.
Speaker 1: So see person Bob Marley. Yes, so man, we appreciate your time. Man, obviously, ultimate respect for what you've accomplished on and off the court and the way you continue to live your life.
Speaker 5: Man, Thank you, appreciate you appreciate. Hope we get some group back looking forward to you know, I got to get your Yeah that's about doctor King.
Speaker 4: When is it?
Speaker 5: So is Doctor January? Yeah, I got to get you. It's a lot of fun. It beat a lot of.
Speaker 1: Great Alonso morning, all the smoke you can, all the productions YouTube and the Draft Cleans Network.
Speaker 4: We'll see you next week.