Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Past podcast. It is Tuesday, June seventeenth. The Ravens wrapped up the first day of mandatory mini camp this afternoon, and after practice we had a chance to hear from a quarterback or Jackson.
Speaker 2: How y'all doing? How every want doing well? I'm good good.
Speaker 3: We talked to today.
Speaker 4: Maybe a wee or so ago, and you talk about how you might be trying to get the guys together a little bit more often. Can you talk a little bit more about that. We're going into maybe getting guys together more.
Speaker 2: What's you say?
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, yeah, Just I feel like just bunning with my guys that help us out a lot more, you know, just on the field, just picking each other's brain, being around each other a lot more. We'll probably know what one of us is thinking ahead, you know, like we on the feel something going on. He already know what I'm thinking. I don't gotta say too much, you know, look over there, I got d hop now bait these guys. You know, they know what I'm thinking without me saying too much. And that's bunning off the field, you know. So that's why I want to get my guys together just things like that, small things like.
Speaker 6: That fomeball a couple of years ago.
Speaker 7: If uh you had requested potentially to play with either versu of DeAndre Hopkins or Odell Beckham.
Speaker 6: Got yeah Hopkins?
Speaker 8: Now yeah.
Speaker 7: What does it feel like to to get him on this team?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Man, I'm just that got dope. Man.
Speaker 5: He's different, man, I I've seen him. I threw him up like a shallow today. He caught the ball so smooth, got up like I don't even think he put the other hand on the ground to get up. He just caught the ball and just started r I'm like, bruh, that's some VAT type stuff, like some super Vat type stuff.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: It's just dope to have him, man. I'm looking forward to throwing a lot of touchdowns to him this year.
Speaker 6: How much better did you think this Baffeta? Yeah, it was pretty good last year.
Speaker 5: Uh it was f It was pretty good last year. But I always tell you, God, this guy's the limit.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: We we never knowing two yacht though, and I believe it will be a lot better this year as well.
Speaker 9: Do you feel we have more weapons for Whistler?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I do, I do.
Speaker 5: We had weapons last year, but got de hop a new addisher and our guys ready man got baked with a new count trap, got Litts, got actually got Mark Mandrews. Can't forget my guy, man, I my guys. I gotta get 'em Mandres real quick. That guy's different man, you know, cause uh I I been seeing my guy be getting talked about, and I really I really don't like that because he you know, he's done so much for us. I'm off topic right here, but he's done so much for us and how people did him, you know, I just don't like that. Cau Mark's still Mark, you know, Mandrews, He's still your guy, Yeah, for sure, no doubt.
Speaker 10: I know people deal with you know this form of of the last game this season and the ways I mean, like what if you canna seen Mark's uh approach be in in these oka's and many can.
Speaker 2: The same man. He's always hungry. You know, things happen. We played football.
Speaker 5: Shoot, I like I said, I threw I threw a a interception, bone head interception, forum of the ball first first half, still had a chance to win it.
Speaker 2: Things happen. You know, it's not gonna always go our way.
Speaker 5: That's probably was our first snow game at that, you know, not the blame done the weather or anything like that, but it's football.
Speaker 2: Everything not gonna go right man.
Speaker 6: To mark and at the back.
Speaker 11: Then the four four game was it was a deep loss for you. It took pretty hard to be watching the the losses you guys take the loss you guys had last year.
Speaker 6: W what did you take that out of? Particularly that lot and talking over and you feel like you need to be better or do.
Speaker 2: You'd like to be better at uh, protecting the ball? You know, things like that.
Speaker 5: I felt like when we were Chetta to we protected the ball. We we had no problems moving the ball down the field, you know, first second down. We we get positive yards out of every play, you know, just the turnovers, no turnovers.
Speaker 2: I feel like we win.
Speaker 6: Did it take me a while to get over that? Or or is that something he flushed that you immediately like?
Speaker 9: How do you?
Speaker 6: How'd you deal with it?
Speaker 5: I don't think I get over any loss, to be honest, I got lost it from youth football. That still hunt me, you know, so how I never get over alost. I don't care how how small it may be to someone else or how great it might be, it's always.
Speaker 2: The same for me.
Speaker 7: I'm all, I, how do a kind of to that? You talk about the turnovers? Do you feel like everybody always wonders why as good as the team as you guys always have, if you can't necessarily look like you're best in January? Do you feel like the turnovers you handed out a turnovers? Do you feel like that's probably the main Sure?
Speaker 5: Nah, cause we still had a chance to win. You know, it's football. Everything not gonna go away.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 5: You know before it was like, oh, you can't win a playoff game. You know, we won a playoff game. We got to the LC Championship two years ago. Then we just fell short, like two games short this year. But it's we gonna bounce back and we come back. I feel like we gonna have ventures on our mind tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Back around to the contract talk, I'm sure you're all, yeah.
Speaker 12: How would you describe whatever conversations you've had with there to this point and are you feeling any urgency to.
Speaker 6: Get something done on that time?
Speaker 5: You know, I never discussed contract situations here, but yeah, uh N, I don't wanna talk about it.
Speaker 2: Is that okay with you?
Speaker 3: That want to get done.
Speaker 6: You ever need a high steed player in the NFL.
Speaker 9: I mean that must sound pretty good.
Speaker 2: For you, right' missing sound good?
Speaker 3: Anybody in ULC said, how was for you being part of the film stars of Rason Keenan?
Speaker 6: How did you get into that?
Speaker 5: And how'd you enjoy that?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: That was sh s shout out to Sasha. You know that's that's the producer. That's the guy who put director. That's the guy who you know actually got me on the show. I tweeted about it, you know, I was like, man raised the cane and like lit or whatever, and uh, he posted about it and I come in it on his Instagram.
Speaker 2: I'm like, don't kill me off, Like I actually wanna be in the show.
Speaker 5: And then like, uh, that summer you know when the season was over, well two years ago. Yeah it was two years ago. Uh that summer or last year, I'm sorry last year. Uh, they had me in New York filming and stuff. It was dope, like just a dope gig.
Speaker 2: Like I had fun.
Speaker 5: Shooting, uh shooting, not shooting, not shooting shooting the film, the show, get that out there, getting show.
Speaker 2: It was just fun.
Speaker 13: Man.
Speaker 2: I had a lot of fun with it, uh, and a lot go into.
Speaker 5: That, like shout out to all the actors and actresses, cause man, man sh a lot go with that all day for one scene, Like God, the fun thing he's done that.
Speaker 6: The opportunity when he drove away on me, Wald your oyster.
Speaker 2: Right now you get a chance to goe do whatever you one. I haven't did anything fun yet.
Speaker 9: Nah.
Speaker 5: The best you want me to tell, the best thing I did came here today. I was out here trading with my guys man ricking hard and felt like we got better today. You know, I had a lot of fun today.
Speaker 6: Lost off season? You know you got skinny or skinny ear now? And did y did you do anything uh this off season?
Speaker 11: Obviously you're still you're still pretty skinny, but uh, did you do anything different?
Speaker 6: Just physically?
Speaker 4: Not?
Speaker 5: I just eat fruit, push up, sit ups, that's all. Just stand shape, don't say skinny, stand shape fit. Yeah that sound better cause skinny like puny. I don't think I'm puny still.
Speaker 2: Two hundred.
Speaker 9: Already said.
Speaker 14: One of the first conversations you had with him was about the team's losses and how you reviewed that. Yeah, what was your focus from a football perspective this off season.
Speaker 5: Man, just trying to make the game a lot easier for us, you know, just go going into a game and just knowing what the defense gonna do before they do it. Just having having they plays like as ours, you know, to make our job a lot easier. And that's all I go back like he, like Coach T told you, I go on watch the losses, see the mistakes we made, and try to capitalize for next time we in a situation like that, y'all cao talk.
Speaker 9: To about communication. I heard become a lot more burgo and also leaving by example. I mean, is it a combination of both or do.
Speaker 5: You do you like you're talking to More's a combination of both. And see year eighth, I mean, yeah, one a year eighth, Like T got no other choice. It's a lot of young guys coming in and uh, she got.
Speaker 15: Too didn't have y'all for information all the time.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm gonna come up to 'em and talk to them.
Speaker 5: They probably be scared to say something to me, but I'm gonna walk up and introduce myself.
Speaker 7: Whytn't mentioned or DeAndre Hopkins catch earlier.
Speaker 9: So it's been a pretty quick information between the two of you. How's how those conversations been like so far?
Speaker 5: Man, he come up me and be telling me like what he's seeing around and stuff like that. I'm like, that's what I saw, Like, that's what I was selling the coach. I wanted you to do stuff like that. Man, That's that's what you like to see from your receive and like to hear from your receiver, like engaging with those guys.
Speaker 2: But all my receivers like that, all of 'em.
Speaker 6: While you obviously had.
Speaker 7: A lot of great teams here in the last spirve years, but you.
Speaker 9: Know, the addition of d hop the offensive line is one year more of a for you. Look around you this year, do you feel like, wow, we really have the pieces?
Speaker 7: This year special?
Speaker 2: That's not in my mind.
Speaker 5: I feel like that every year, you know, to be honest with you, I really feel like that each and every year you got a chance.
Speaker 2: But we're gonna have to see, you know, we're gonna.
Speaker 14: Have to see Louisville cornerback accomplished, cornerback available.
Speaker 7: Have you got it?
Speaker 8: Go get them?
Speaker 2: I love all our corners getting wrong, but go get them.
Speaker 9: Have you got a chance to talk to your year about coming here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hit him up. I hit him up. But you know, you don't know, you never know what y'all here. That's my boy man.
Speaker 6: We saw you know, some of the clips of you and and say Flowers South Florida.
Speaker 2: What do you what do you?
Speaker 6: What do you get out of the out of those sessions? And we heard you about that.
Speaker 5: Because I threw that ball, I knew it was you gotta see. I'm gonna let you finish this question though you know where I'm going.
Speaker 11: It's so you were obviously still upset about that buffalo intercept. Uh was that just a miscommunication mis throw?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 6: And what are you in those throws with Zay in the summer? Like what what do you guys get out of that?
Speaker 2: It just miscommunication that That's all that was. And we just make each other better.
Speaker 5: You know, we're gonna talk trash to one another, man, because we want to see each other when we're on the same team.
Speaker 2: I gotta talk to you like this, you know, because no one else will. That's all.
Speaker 9: Contract extension and send meal.
Speaker 2: Hey, but he deserved that. I feel like he deserved that.
Speaker 5: And Uh, the injuries in the past was was hindering him, and I feel like people was thinking he wasn't that guy, but he showed it last.
Speaker 2: Year a lot, you know, and this to the senter instead of going for him, no no limit.
Speaker 14: You mentioned this earlier, going back to it, there was a time this offseason where it looked like Mark wasn't certain to be back here.
Speaker 9: Did that Is that the part that you said bothered you?
Speaker 14: And did you voice how important?
Speaker 13: You know?
Speaker 5: No, I just seen people like, you know, trying to dog him on comments and stuff. But it's like it it's don't get me wrong. It's a lot of people that wish they could have been playing this game, you know, and he's accompanied so much, you know, for us, you know, himself. So I feel like just let things happen sometimes, you know, we we wish, we wish we'd have won the game.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 5: I wish I didn't throw that interception. I wish I didn't fumble, you know, I wish the mishap didn't happen, But it happened.
Speaker 2: You know. It's just a lesson learned, man, So next time we'll do something better. That's all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, but guess bub you, Yeah, I don't matter who.
Speaker 2: Who's open up against I'm happy just to play football.
Speaker 8: Sir.
Speaker 2: You re all good.
Speaker 9: Mark.
Speaker 14: You have a good plans to coming up with the wide receivers this southeaston three right, Yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 11: Uh but before we hate Lamar, we have a presentation here, say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sir, yeah, So Lamar this off season I'm truting. Heard Eric the Cost and John Harbol basically say you're their MVP.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you're also the MVP for.
Speaker 8: The Pro Football Writers Association.
Speaker 3: So for the third time in Lamar Jackson's career, he filed the MVP by PFWS.
Speaker 4: Kay.
Speaker 2: Man appreciate especial as the football writers of America. I thank you guys so much. I appreciate you guys so much. Man, think go MVP baby.
Speaker 1: We also heard from one of his new targets, veteran wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins.
Speaker 6: Yeah, with the more couple of practices now from the one earlier. Now, how do you you know, could you find with itself?
Speaker 9: You know, such a quarterback?
Speaker 2: What do you think is the key to the go being back with?
Speaker 9: What's your quarterback?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 9: Practice? Coming out here working together? Uh communicating? Uh you even if we complete something, still just asking him what he likes.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 9: Communication is key. I played with probably you know, more quarterbacks than any receiver, so uh, you know I've learned communication. Uh. And and not just on the field, but off the field as well.
Speaker 2: Is there any think that you surprised you back? And you know him on the field and off the field. I do you have expectation what the guys.
Speaker 12: Like from afar and then you get together and who have you learned?
Speaker 9: He's a competitor at everything, Alright. I saw him in there, you know, shooting shooting hoops on the basketball goal and you know he didn't wanna lose, so uh, you know that says a lot about him and who he is. Uh. Just little things like that. And uh you know obviously on the football field, if he uh, if he you know, makes a mistake or doesn't you know, complete the ball that he wants to, he's hard on himself. Uh. And you know no one has to say anything to him, but you know that's why he is who he is.
Speaker 15: The quarterbacks said he grew up with You know, how long do you do pitch the gains and and get.
Speaker 6: The chemis straight down with these guys?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 9: I do I look, yeah, I don't I don't think it's like a time frame. I think it differs. You know, a guy like Lamar who's the veteran quarterback, you know, he he's played a lot of football, and uh myself, I play a lot of football, so you know we see things different. Uh you know, but you know I've had rookie quarterbacks that this took longer. So it differs.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: Look the things you and Jay and Batonnverers.
Speaker 9: What impressions that you guys have been able to get out.
Speaker 6: Here on the hield together and because of what you guys can.
Speaker 9: Do to do feels good? Uh? You know, playing with with with two good receivers. Uh, you know, those guys they wanna be great and they're gonna be great. Uh you know, they definitely uh have a high ceiling. And you know I'm here to to help. Uh you know however I can uh you know, going out just you know, showing those guys certain things and and just communicating with them, uh you know things We're we're all three different receivers, which is unique and cool.
Speaker 6: What's that you guys who are established here at Baltimore, what what has stood out for you if you've gotten this using team.
Speaker 9: Uh about you said about being a rad with oh uh the camaraderie. Uh, how close guys are.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 9: You know, I think that's what makes a great football team. Uh. You know, they do things not just on the field, but off the field together.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 9: And you know I've always been, uh you know, a big fan of that. You know, you have to you have to build a bond not just on the field, off the field. I know it a we want.
Speaker 2: First weeks was.
Speaker 6: The picture of the the speed of a lot of the guys up there. Have you felt just as fast uh as Uh those those speeds look like?
Speaker 9: Ah, yeah, man, I have. Uh you know, hopefully I can you know, continue to keep that up. Uh, you know, just with my diet and training. But yeah, for sure.
Speaker 16: The last last year and and really what it takes to get back and getting another opportunity to play in that game.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I really don't think about what happened yesterday. Uh. You know, I I've always been raised to put one foot forward, you know, and uh, you know, someone like myself who's you know, have had a lot of uh you know, things happened in my life. You know, you don't look back in the past. You gotta move forward. So every every mistake that's happened happened for a reason. Uh, you know, every everything that you know it is, it's not considered. You know, great happens for a reason, you know, and it's only gonna make you stronger. So I don't really look. Look, I don't really think about what happened yesterday really unless it's you know, my my children calling me about something.
Speaker 11: Learning what Lamar likes? Doesn't that that sort of thing? What have you sort of learned st what he likes and and what's maybe stood out to you in the in the.
Speaker 6: Few times you've worked here there.
Speaker 9: Uh, I would say, well, still what stands out about him is? Uh, you know, I mean it's really hard to pinpoint. You know, I can't give a PSA about Lamar Jackson. Lamar Jackson's a great quarterback all around. So I'm not gonna come up here and you know, try to PSA and say what you know what's great about Lamar Jackson?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 9: You know, I think he puts that on display every day, Uh, every Sunday. Lamar's so good there the players and.
Speaker 10: The quarter back pat last year and he's really good at the team skill set, But it is there something with Lamar that.
Speaker 6: That stands out as maybe different sort of how that they that you have to start.
Speaker 9: Yeah, like I just said, I'm not I'm not going to compare you know, Patrick Mahomes any quarterback to Lamar. Lamar is a unique quarterback. He's a great quarterback. And uh, you know, so is every other quarterback I played with in the NFL. Or or they wouldn't be in the NFL. Uh, you know. So, I'm just excited to go out the first game against the Bills and uh, you know, put some on tape with him.
Speaker 7: Upon some really good teams obviously. Chairs Well, I mean this offense has a lot of talent around it. Do you recall being on an offense that has this many weapons?
Speaker 9: Uh, it's it's it's been a while, you know. Definitely Kansas City Chiefs, we had a lot of weapons. We made it to a super Bowl, So you know, I can't I can't dismiss that, but uh, you know, this is definitely a talented team and wide receiver group. For sure.
Speaker 8: You talked to you you might have played with more quarterbacks in your little sagar and also.
Speaker 12: Means you've probably been doing as many many camps.
Speaker 2: What do you get out of it?
Speaker 6: Just like, how do you how do you figure out how to beige productive for you?
Speaker 2: After this?
Speaker 9: Oh? Man, I I love waking up and practicing. I love the little things. I love studying late nights. Uh, you know, just going over things with with my girlfriend, having her help me study plays or you know, whoever's at my house. You know, little things like that, just it excites me. And competing. I'm a competitor, so you know, I just started playing chess and you know I'm not the best, but I think I'm a champion. So just competing. Man, I love compete. We got you, Uh, I haven't. I haven't chess chess uh chess dot com though you know definitely who part of me is what I'm talking about. Okay, okay, alright.
Speaker 15: You have any of the UH quarterbacks that you've gone against surprised you or impressed you here and the Germany?
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, I would say all the cornerbacks that we have that I went up against. Uh. Those guys are talented, UH and that's the reason that we drafted 'em.
Speaker 8: They getting a dreams of a by the UH white receiver.
Speaker 6: But you also have two tight.
Speaker 3: Ends, Cause I how m a you they impressed you, uh explosively you So they say, likely it's Mark Andrews.
Speaker 9: Uh you know, likely's it's gonna be a great uh tight end this league for a while. Uh and Andrews obviously is a great tight end.
Speaker 2: Uh you know.
Speaker 9: So it's it's it it's fun just going out there, you know, with those two guys and seeing how they work and seeing how they how they grind, especially you know in No Ta's I was surprised that both of those guys are out there just about every day working and uh, you know that's that's that's what impressed me the most. You know, those guys, they they wanna be out there, and they wanna they won't they want to be the guy to get the ball.
Speaker 2: Anymore.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 1: And lastly, we heard from Ravens quarterback coach t Martin.
Speaker 15: He's the back quarterback ever last year. What is back there left for him to do to improve? Were you trying to specify?
Speaker 13: We said that the right word, uh is improvement. We're always trying to find things that uh we can get better at. Interestingly enough, on the field, we were talking about, uh what he would want, what he was watching during the offseason. The first thing he said was the games that we lost. He's like, I just wanna know how we lost them and what we did and what we do better. So he's already thinking that way. As a staff, we're trying to look at things that we can improve and implement them during this time of the year, training camp, so on, and so forth. But Uh, him individually, Uh, we we had great discussions about the things that he wants to improve at and and play Uh as good, if not better than he did last season. Uh, A little bit of both. It's just kind of depends on the play, the call protection. There's a lot involved in what we do. He has a lot of responsibility in the run game, in the passing game, whether it's getting us to the right run play, getting out of run to pass, pass to run, so on and so forth. So there's a lot of responsibility goes on there, and there's a lot of preparation that goes on there. So Uh, but we expanded that package each year. We're looking for ways to give him more because he's advancing each and every year in all areas of his game.
Speaker 8: And we grew some this year.
Speaker 13: We added some new concept, new play calls and things of that nature, and we're gonna just give him all the risks that we can to get ready for the season.
Speaker 9: See a lot of guys getting as what had their best seasons in their third year the ards going like in the NM, is that even make you more if you feeling like, hey, it's special ball as.
Speaker 2: What as he beam for you?
Speaker 13: Well, yes, it's it's a cause for optimism definitely, being that he's such a young player playing the way that he's playing, with so much more to get better at. You know, he's he's doing a lot of great stuff. You know, but we really kind of comb uh with a fine tooth, uh the things that we really want to improve on, whether it's footwork, whether it's reees, his eyes, disciplined, uh, taking care of the football, things like that. So but yes, at his age, playing the way he's playing is a ah, a really good feeling for out optimism, for the organization and for his career.
Speaker 12: Which so often Lamar has come into a year with something new, whether it be the way he built himself to figures centers or what if what if you see anything new this year from what you saw from him in January.
Speaker 13: I think it's more mindset like like during the off season, really starting with the last game. Uh, it was kind of some a deep felt loss. You know, the last two seasons have kind of ended that way with some really emotional uh losses, and so this off season the mindset for him in our conversations that we've had, what he's thinking and what he's verbalizing and and and talking about. Uh, it's a little different. You see maturity there in terms of what he sees on the field and things that he wants to do offensively. He's having more input back to us as coaches, like I see this, I would like to do this more or less. He's doing more of that, uh, and just taking his communication to the next level. So that's what I would say about that.
Speaker 6: Told on that he went up for me Dames foth team and personal.
Speaker 1: Has he shared any of those ideas with you?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it really started last year.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 13: They were getting together watching seven or seven and a lot of the passing periods together, especially during training camp. Once we got to the season a little bit here and there, there was something different. But some of the wide hoes would come to the quarterback meetings and kind of hang out with us and listen to him. So whatever was most convenient for Lamar. They kind of worked it out. But there's something that they're being more intentional about doing, especially when we get back during training camp. UH, but it really started last season doing camp. They would get together and watch some of the passing periods, and once we got to the season, they got together during the quarterback meetings. At times they some of the other receivers stopping there, tight ends will stop in. UH, they likely mark then those guys will stop being at times. UH to just kind of had that communication with Lamar when it wasn't the unit meeting where they can get more individualized attention from him.
Speaker 8: So it worked. Uh, those guys got on the same page as the season went and we saw the production.
Speaker 9: UH.
Speaker 8: As the season went on.
Speaker 11: You mentioned, you know, watching the games they lost and you brought up off to see a Buffalo game. There's there's been similarities that you know, Lamar's post regular season play has been at a very high level. The UH postseason has east had his struggle at times. What has been the conversation about how to be better than those games?
Speaker 13: Well, just finishing for the most part, you know, you really think about, uh, things like you know, turnovers and things of that nat kind of obvious stuff, right that he's hard on himself about, you know the first half of the Buffalo game, you know, just just don't do that, and we still ended up uh fighting ourselves back to really giving ourselves a chance to tiny the game up. So h you go back to twenty three, you know, similar Stu right, RedZone turnovers, not only just him but other players. Right, So that's that stuff as a unit that we talk about it that we uh emphasize a lot and individual as players. Nobody wants to do that, right, Nobody wants to do the play or the turnover or the mis catch or misthrow that causes us a game or a drive or a series, so on and so forth. So but it's a it's an emphasis, you know, we we look at everything that contributes to those things. And so yeah, it's on his hard as on his mind. We just gotta find a way to finish.
Speaker 9: Who's that's the different quarterbacks? Is there anything you see from the quarterback.
Speaker 4: Side how the film and yield that up to shorten.
Speaker 6: That learning curve, to developing that relationship with Lamar.
Speaker 9: And other end of the back.
Speaker 13: Well, just in a short time with Dap, I've seen that he's quick study and he loves talking to the quarterbacks. So that's good from a guy who's caught a lot of passes from a lot of different guys. Right, But he's been great. He's been you know, talking to Lamar about how he's gonna run around and how he expects the ball to be thrown. Lamar's communicating back with him in just uh short time, So I can't imagine what that that relationship's gonna be like after training camp and ask the season continues when we start game playing ways to get him the ball and how those guys play off of each other, Rashad you know, Zay the whole crew, how we're gonna use them uh in what we do so uh but early on, uh, his communication has been great and uh his expectation as a very veteran uh highly productive wide out. Uh it's something that uh we haven't seen in a while, and uh hopefully it's a good thing for us.
Speaker 3: See, when you get us veteran back up there in the discreprenier or whatever, than you do, how do you go to the up building that relationship right.
Speaker 6: How how's that going to them?
Speaker 8: Oh, it's going great.
Speaker 13: I think Coop came in and just kind of uh took the playbook uh under his arm, and you know, he was a really quick study. And we put a lot on those guys and starting they didn't miss the day from football school to OTA's didn't miss any days and questions feedback on some things that they had done in his career in places that he's been. Uh that's similar to what we're doing. Little tweaks here and there, some things helped us, some things that we do a little different. But his experience is the main thing. His professionalism. Uh came to practice every day prepared, got more reps uh this off season than you probably got in the last two or three years.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 8: So that was good for him and and Devin as well.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 8: But but I like his company. I like his presence in our room.
Speaker 13: Uh brings another veteran leader that uh has great professionalism in terms of his preparations.
Speaker 6: You know, if you hurts them out.
Speaker 16: How the conversations with Lamar changed coaching principles or strategies. I guess you've taken as you've seen him and yourself also adapt as a coaching player relationship.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I would say when when you're first taking the job with someone as unique as Lamar, you're learning more from them than they're learning from you in a sense. But we were both learning a new system at the same time, so it wasn't like we were running the same system and I was the new coach. You know. It was new coach and new system. So a lot of that was the implementation of the new system. This is how we're gonna do it. These are the rules of how we're gonna do it. Let's hang our hat on these things. Now you add Lamar Jackson to it, and how he sees things, how he thinks year one, year two, and now year three. That bond, that connection, my expectations for him and anticipation of what he would do and how he would think. Uh, we just kind of play off each other. It's just kind of like in a relationship, right' you with somebody long enough, hopefully you guys get better at your relationship. Uh, but uh, it's still growing. It's still growing. He he every day. You see growth every day. There's things that we learn from each other, things about the system, things about football in general that we discussed and we continue to grow in that direction.
Speaker 9: Two. Uh, did the guy like like DeAndre?
Speaker 15: You know so many of them march passes last year were to go as that we're considered open Obviously DeAndre is a guy who can turn those fifty fifty balls into like eighty twenty balls. Is there a skill to like throwing to outside receivers and knowing that you know you've got to put your.
Speaker 9: Faith in them that I think that's point where you get a want to sme out with that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's that's a great point. And you're speaking to trust, you're thinking to you're speaking to catch radius stuff that you see with Mark and they likely you can now see with the other hopkinsause it's very similar. Just a wide receiver that can play strong, you know, big strong hands that quarterbacks love. That's that's a really good comfort level for a quarterback where you can put the ball in the vicinity and trust that guy's gonna make a play and not only just that too, but his his mentality for going after the ball and competing for the ball. And so we look forward to what that relationship is gonna be like. But to your point, that's trust, that's the time with each other, working with each other, and ultimately resulting to some production on the field.
Speaker 8: Hopefully what you said seeing Lamar Ybab had to begather Uh, vocal leadership. Vocal leadership.
Speaker 13: When I first got here in twenty one, he was the leader, Uh by play by action. That was a lot on his plate, and he was relatively quiet. He kind of started a little bit doing game day when the cons competitive spirit starts to uh show Uh. But being with him every day and being around him more closely, uh, you know his communication uh, non verbal and verbal. You really hear him in the back, you know, having inside conversations that weren't the case a couple of years ago, and you see more and more of that. You see him now talking with the lineman, doing practice, talking to Tyler, his relationship with the center, because those two guys have to be on the same page. If Lamar makes a call, Tyler has the echo. If Tyler makes a call, he hasn't communicated back to Lamar. So there's a lot of two way communication that goes on between the quarterback and the center. And what I'm seeing is whether it's Derek, you know, a veteran running back, coming in that has questions and concerns. DeAndre Hopkins and we had the Odell's, We've had Nessa Agilos, We've had guys that's been in and out that's causing him to talk about what he sees and how he feels things. But that's the biggest area I've seen is the verbal and nonverbal communication that he has really grown and taken his game to the next level.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast. Make sure you subscribe to this feed. Also head over to the Ravens Lounge feed and subscribe there as well. We give you a full breakdown of everything that we saw out on the practice field at Mini Camps, and make sure you check it out. Thanks for listening, Talk with you again soon.