Speaker 1: Welcome in Tumble Bears Weekly, a Chicago Bears Network production download the Chicago Bears Official Act, brought to you by Verizon to follow the team on the go. Bears Weekly is brought to you by Advocate Healthcare, Athletico Physical Therapy, Bet Rivers, CD Delling, Connie's Pizza by Genis Energy, and Miller Life Kira. Your hosts Jeff Chilneac aka the Mayor of Bearsville and his sidekick Tom The Surfaster.
Speaker 2: There Mandatory Veteran Minicamp opens tomorrow afternoon at Halis Hall, one of the final steps in a busy offseason for the Chicago Bears, and we discussed tonight here on Bears Weekly Jeff Joniac with Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Thayer, and from Serious ex MNFL Radio's Moving the Chains, we have the former Bears quarterback Jim Miller. Thanks to our producers Dan Brilly and Jordan Treadup. And in the ESPN studios this evening, Sean Graeney, the executive producer of the Bears Radio Network, is Eric Ostrowski coming up conversation with Bear Special Teams Coordinator Richard H. Tower as the Bears gear up for the new kick return rules here in twenty twenty four. We'll also talk defensive line with Travis Smith, the Bears veteran defensive line coach. We'll get into that as well, talk about some of the young players that could and should emerge here in their second years with the Bears. Guys, how we feeling. I can't wait to see the entire crew back together. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, ip at haus at Temmy, Oh.
Speaker 3: I thought you were talking about me, you and Jim.
Speaker 4: Well, you know Jims and Jims in Michigan.
Speaker 3: You're You're right, Jeff. You know, I'm really interested to see a snapshot of everybody in their place, and that's including Montest Sweat along with the defensive line, Nate Davis with the offensive line, that's the running back position in place, the receiver position in place. I would like to see a few days of work with everybody with hopefully is going to be in that place week one against Tennessee.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you know, we know they're not in pads right now, but you want you want to run a tight ship, right It's about you know, the team coming together, getting a continuity young order back, working with the other ten veterans that are there with him, along with roma dooms who's going to be put in there. You know, you want some sharpness with the mini camp where you come away from this VET mini camp feeling pretty good about where the team's at with all the installs. Guys need to know where to line up. Guys got to start showing the technique. We know, you really can't evaluate the power side of football because there's no pads on. So you'd really want to run a type ship where everybody is assignment driven in a veteran mini camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know one thing about it is, you know, if you really look at this roster right now, there's really one position that's battling, and that's the center position. If you look at every other single position out there, everybody should be in their place. And you're talking about the Marcus Walker at defensive end, Givon Dexter Senior at the three technique defensive tackle obviously Montes Swaton Billings and backed up by other guys. But you know what the linebacker position is. You know what the defensive position is to tackle the guards, the running backs of the receivers. So I when is the last time that the three of us had beenett going into a mini camp and thinking, okay, almost every position could possibly be decided on outside the center competition.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and six Super Bowl year. I mean, honestly, that is a heck of a point by you. I mean, you're right, everybody's in place.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pretty much. I agree with that.
Speaker 5: I think there is a battle at center with coman, with Coleman, Shelton and obviously Ryan Bates, you know, and there's a few spots obviously if injuries start to happen during training camp, you'll see some guys competing because I do think there's some backup positions that that guys will be able to battle, you know, if they have to earn some playing time. But overall, this this roster, overall the last two years, has been upgraded significantly by Ryan Poles.
Speaker 2: NFL dot Com did something recently. They picked one player from each team Fellas that was the most overlooked player. Do you have any idea on the Bears roster who that might have been? Maybe you guys saw it, so maybe I'm not surprising you.
Speaker 6: Who is it?
Speaker 4: From their opinion?
Speaker 6: Yeah, go ahead, Jim.
Speaker 5: Well, for me, it'd be Kyler Gordon, you know, because to me, he's gonna be significant from the nickel spot. He missed some games last year. He's got blitsability, he's a good ball hawk. He's a guy that can really you know. That's why they're give him the nickname spider Man because he's a very savvy player. And for me, I think it's Kyler Gordon. Your nickel position, especially in pro football now, is actually a starter, you know, because a lot of teams are running eleven personnel. So for me, that overlooked player would be Kyler Gordon.
Speaker 3: I would go Tyree Stevenson because you know, the the reputation that Jalen Johnson is coming in with this year and all the positive things that have been said about him, you know, with the reward the awarding of a new contract, and Okay, if they're not gonna go to Jalen, is Tariq Stevenson gonna bring his game to another level or is he going to be a guy that's targeted as often as possible? Because color Gordon in and out of the field, depending upon as the defensive Jim said, the defensive personnel matching up, Tyreek Stevenson will stay on the field the whole game.
Speaker 2: Well, their answer was running back Roshan Johnson. Wow, five games of fifty plus yards from Scrimmin's last year, some big powerful runs. As you know, he ran over some people. Was good and blitz pick up, played special teams. But they're looking at it, guys, Jimmy tom from a DeAndre Swift perspective, because yes, he had a great year last year in Philadelphia. We're not even talking about Khalil Herbert anymore. I don't believe he's going anywhere. I mean, I think they are really well slotted at the running back position. Travis Homer is in that group because of special teams as well, and of course you get a blasting game. But Rochean Johnson entering year too, I'm not going to fall asleep on what he can bring to the table. And yes he's got some grit to him. I like the way he played last year and I like the what he put on the table at training cap. He was a pick that the Bears are very happy to get when they did, and just a great overall person and a great overall teammate.
Speaker 3: Still the best blocker amongst all the running backs, and I'm not ashamed to say that because it is a trait that's difficult to find of these running backs that are coming out of college. So I would be super confident if I had a blitz pick up against a team that brought it as off as some teams do, and Rochean being in the backfield for me at that moment.
Speaker 5: I remember Ryan Poles talking about that that was his favorite player in the draft and they were able to pluck Roshan in the fourth round. I thought every time he entered the game, when he had opportunities, he provided a spark. There's a little bit of a juice to him. Unfortunately, he missed a couple of games he got a concussion, had to sit there, But that's a nice I think the Bears have a nice backfield of a complimentary running backs that can all fill in and do a good job. And who knows, we'll see if they can lead the league in rushing again because I think those all four backs are really good compliments to one another and we'll get positive yards.
Speaker 2: Which leads me into this conversation what the run pass percentage might be under Shane Waldron and with this rookie quarterback and so many offensive weapons, I know Ryan Poles has said, hey, they still want to run the football, and like you said, they've done a nice job running the football the last couple of years. Obviously, a running quarterback in justin fields, those kind of numbers should not be expected from Kayleb Williams. Though he can run, he can run out of trouble, and he can run fast, but he doesn't want to do that. He wants to work from the pocket, in and around the pocket. So what would be a worthy run pass ratio percentage? Tom and Jim say, for the first eight games of the season, in the last nine games of the season, would you like to see it.
Speaker 4: Like we always want it?
Speaker 2: Or do we are we going to let this horse ride here a little bit and put the ball in the air out more.
Speaker 5: We'll start with Jimmy, I think you want it run heavy early, you know, through the first nine games, whether it's sixteen forty run to pass, and then towards the second half of the year, say the first nine weeks, if you are a sixty percent run team, it'll set up the play action pass. They can go more well personnel, and then by week nine they should be able to start transition where it can be you know, fifty to fifty and then maybe towards the end of the year sixty forty, when it's passing compared to the running. That would be my take because I would think at that point Caleb Williams should be able to do more from that standpoint where they'll trust him more in third and long situations, or third and medium situations, or third and short where they can trust him to throw get a first down rather than pounding it up in there, and sometimes where teams are stacking the box and they should be able to move the ball more better, I should say, through the air towards the latter part of the season, once he gets that base of the offense underneath him and he feels a lot more comfortable.
Speaker 3: You know me, I'm an eighty twenty type of guy. I'm joking, facetious what I say that, because of the personnel that the Bears can offer you, I'm going to do all based on evaluational vulnerabilities of my opponent. If I'm playing a team that doesn't have a very good pass rush, I'm going to allow Caleb to throw the ball a little bit more and trust my protection. If I have a team that doesn't stop the run very well, then I'm going to have a running game, and Chris Morgan and his offensive line in the running game coordinate or take advantage of the defense accordingly. So it is going to be a lot of depending upon your scouting to see what the deficiencies of your opponent is.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: Last year, the Bears second in the NFL in a rush percentage at forty eight seven, with San Francisco trailing fifty point three percent, Baltimore the league leader. So the pass percentage for the Bears and forty nine ers fifty one point three percent. That by definition is a balanced attack run pass. All right, we come back well. Here from Bear's defensive line coach Travis Smith in the media session last week up at had a saw We get ready for Midiicamp starting tomorrow. Here on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network is Bears Weekly.
Speaker 1: With a voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Junick on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: This second of Bears Weekly is brought to you by Athletical Physical Therapy. Visit Athletico dot com to requested in clinic orbitual deployment that start feeling better tomorrow. The assistants gather each week defensive, one week offensive another week throughout the season and includes this offseason program right now leading up to Veteran Minicamp, and last week it was the defensive coaches had a chance to visit with other media members, with Travis Smith hitting all things defensive line, including Dexter Senior and pickings the two picks from a year ago. A lot of discussion about those two guys and third year pro Dominique Robinson. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so he's done a phenomenal job. Like if you look at the offseason where guys leave and now where they've shown up, he's one guy that sticks out for sure, and his body, his body fat stayed the same, but his weightly mass has gone up, and so he's definitely filled out, gotten stronger, has more masks to him, more anchor, more strength. So it's it's exciting to see him flying around.
Speaker 2: Now he's not allowing him to move inside maybe more.
Speaker 8: We haven't we haven't messed too much with that. Obviously, there might be a couple of situations where between whoever he's in there with, he might flip sides where he can be in there in rush situations, but more it's just it's really he's just trying to keep developing to be the best d N he can be right now.
Speaker 2: So you spent time with Booker last week.
Speaker 6: What's the first step for him?
Speaker 8: First step right here is just making sure that he knows where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there, and know what to do. There's the bottom line of all those other attributes, all the other abilities that you have. If you don't know what to do, you're gonna have a hard time. And so that's one thing that we're just working on every day, making sure that we eliminate mistakes. If there's a mistake, we don't repeat mistakes.
Speaker 2: Oftentimes with rookie edge rushers they say, oh, you know, it doesn't matter, just they go get the quarterback. It's a simple that, but you just outlined it's not as simple.
Speaker 8: As it was a question. That's not as simple as that. There's there's a lot that goes into it. To be one thing, if it's just hey, stopping the run and rushing the passer, but with us playing a form in front, there's a ton of detail that goes into that and are. My job as a coach is to make sure I eliminate all the gray, but allowing them to play as fast and as physical as they can.
Speaker 6: With Dexter and Zach able to.
Speaker 2: Just discussed with Dominique to add to their body without the worry about combine last year getting ready for your four.
Speaker 6: Are they a different body type two?
Speaker 8: They both they showed where they left left in the last season. Where they've shown up. They've completely They've they've improved immensely physically wise, and I think as you guys are out there too, you can see them for two big men. They can run now, both of them, and they both and they the numbers that we saw. They've really done a good job of taking the offices and not taking it off, making sure they're improving, they're physically.
Speaker 6: We're really happy where they are right now.
Speaker 9: Are expecting a lot of Javan this year. How have you seen his mentality maybe shift coming back in understanding that you guys need more out of him this year.
Speaker 1: Apartment.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, I think he's he's taken as a challenge individually from himself but also from our organization too, that he has a lot of pride in what he's doing on the field, and he wants to make sure that he has goals and aspirations. There's a lot of things that are on in his mind, but he knows it's one step at a time. And so the first step was where he could not come back in the same that he was when he left that this last season, and where he's shown up now he's he's he's taking step one. He's done a great job. And now it's now where six ot as in where he was ot A one. I think today even he saw him show up a little bit in the rush, then where he's he's doing a great job, taking a little small steps every day.
Speaker 6: So I'm excited about that. Where is his rush and way you can tell.
Speaker 8: About being going to have I think, well, right now, if you look with us, with us not in pads, there's really no power element to the rush and there's no games to the rush. So everything that we concer rate now is one to one rush ability or one on one win ability, working speed, edges, hands hands pea, getting hands off, not staying blocked. So he's to the whole group is really taking a good ownership with that to make sure we talk about finishing every play unblocked.
Speaker 6: Not just that the line of scrimmage on their side.
Speaker 8: Line of scrimmage making sure the quarterback can't.
Speaker 6: Throw the ball feels just right.
Speaker 8: We got to speed up his heartbeat. And so where he's improved, I think he's because he's a big, powerful man, but he can't play with power right now, and so it forced him. It's like tying one hand by your back and never go play. But I think it's too it's gonna make it makes this tie end of the year. It makes all the guys better because it forces them to be a little bit uncomfortable and do some things that some guys might.
Speaker 6: Not do as much. What's that experience though, I.
Speaker 8: Mean it's really not as much as he's thinking. Is there's everyone in a while, there'll be a boom in your drill and you look at what like that. But other than that, they do a good job of kind of staying out of the way. And then in the meeting rooms that's all automated cameras and so they're the ones that are manually one guy controls all of them. Really, so it really isn't it's it's I think it's a great opportunity for us as as a team as organization, just to kind of show who the Chicago Bears are, our culture and just being a part of it that year, even with the situation that was going on that year, really wasn't it's it's still football, it's still training camp, but still we're trying to get ready for the season. I'm pretty from what I remember, Coach Gruden and Mike may Ick had full control of what was released and what wasn't released, because there was situations that year, if you remember with a certain receiver that you guys saw a little bit. So I'm done in those conversations, but I'm pretty sure the organization has control over what's put out and.
Speaker 6: What's not put out.
Speaker 2: Do you forget it times because you're absorbed in your coaching that everything's live with my immy or do you just I mean maybe.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm sure people are different me personally. There's so much stuff we have going on a daily basis, and you got to think it's myself and coach being my assistant with fifteen guys that not only we were trying to make sure know what to do, know how to do it, and we're splitting up multiple drills you really don't think about it. Now if they put a mic on you might You're figet about that in two seconds, So you got to be careful what you say to a little bit like that. But you're really they're out of the way enough where you don't even recognize it. I think that's how I felt.
Speaker 6: Yeah, is there anything?
Speaker 7: Is there anything about Booker's game that you've seen in person that maybe didn't show up and doesn't tape. Is there anything that pretty good like that you can only really seek his y being a close.
Speaker 8: I don't know if there's anything that I'm seeing now that I didn't see on tape. But I think the good thing is is that things that we saw on tape that we were attracted to, we're seeing on the field right now. Some of the unorthodox movements, some of the difficulty to block, with his ability to kind of slip inside and get on an edge and beat with an inside move. You're seeing some of those things that you saw him do in college at Kansas that he's doing in practice now. He does have a high motor, he does play a good effort. He's got a long way to go though, from an improvement from conditioning. Some of a physicality standpoint from getting the system in. The rookies are obviously behind because they showed up whatever two weeks late, but we're doing coach being myself or spend an extra time where we're allotted in the schedule where we get time in the afternoon to meet with them and trying to make sure they're getting caught up fully ready to roll here for the mini camp and then when they get back for training camp that.
Speaker 7: This defense as a whole could take a fairly big step. Does that make it any easier for him for Booker to find spots, you know, don distance wise, whatever situationally to make plays that he can't just because he's a really good athlete.
Speaker 8: I think so for sure. And I think what's helping him too right now too is there's with the guys that are in the group or in the room or really good where he's he's kind of trying to absorb everything he can because there's guys that aren't holding information back on the people we It's not just myself and coach being coach in the room. We got some good veterans in there too that when they see something off, they're pulling them aside. And either stopping something right when it happens or helping them get them little knowledge with the situational knowledge where they're talking to a presnap so something he might he's just worried about playing five tech. They give them Hoodie, who to the down distance? He went to second and twelve after a TfL or hey, he's alerted more to pass situations. Those type of things are helping and the young guys out.
Speaker 2: We don't talk too much about the veteran free agents that we're added. They may that'd be big name pass rushers or whatever, but you are you feeling good about where that unit is in terms of having a couple of waves of guys that can get to the quarterback.
Speaker 8: The thing I love right now with the new guys and even the guys that are coming back, there's not one guy in the room that is not competing their tail off relentlessly every snap. And it's not just the team work. If you were able to walk, I know you guys are far away, but our individuals they're working unlike any group I've ever seen work where it's constant. Whether we have a twenty minute individual, thirty minute individual, it doesn't matter they're all competing to improve. There's not one guy that's allergic to work. There's not one guy that's looking for an easy way out. And so when I look at that where the new guys that have come in here, some of the new guys that are vets, all of a sudden, you start working like that, they're WHOA, it's not how D line will work. They're kind of they don't want to do that, or we don't have that problem right now. So that's a good problem to not have. So I'm excited about where it's trendings.
Speaker 9: Was Zach he had a he had a in college, he was very good get off pass rusher. He didn't have a great pass rushing pack last year. Guys haven't nosed mainly what does he need to do to kind of unlock that pass rush ability that's obviously inside him.
Speaker 8: I think just what we talk about all the time is just is trust. You gotta trust your ability, but we gotta do You got to eliminate overthinking. And when you eliminate everything, if you just know your alignment, your assignment, that's gonna tell you. And that guy that crossing, he's not gonna lie to you. That guy who whatever that key is. If you're you start looking in the backfield, you got problems. But if you're looking at that guy a cross, he's telling you a running pass and you just get off on the ball, like you were talking about he did in college. That he's able to do. Everything else is gonna be easier. He's gonna impact the game.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 8: I don't care to run your past because it's not always perfect upfront. It's a physical game, but it's not always gonna be clean cut. But as long as he's on their sideline scrimmage, playing with his hands, knocking guys back, throwing guys around, and we talk about that with the whole group, that he's gonna end of affecting the play in a good way that's going to help him or someone else on the front or in the back.
Speaker 2: Seven all right, guys, I was uniquely interested in visiting with him because, first of all, I started, as you heard, with the body transformation, so to speak, of Dominique Robinson.
Speaker 4: He to me looks a lot bigger, and he confirmed that for me. And you know, he can be.
Speaker 2: Used inside, kick inside as well. Still trying to find his toolbox, I guess as a pass rusher.
Speaker 4: They're not giving up on him.
Speaker 2: But then what we're hearing about Davon Dexter Senior and Zach Pickens Tom if anybody on the entire team the development of those two gentlemen at defensive tackle, and if Dominique Robinson can find a way to get his mojo working as well, another rusher to put on the outside with DeMarcus and also with the rookie Austin Booker, that would be a huge development.
Speaker 3: Listen, if you got as many snaps as you needed out of the combination of billings and pickings on the nose, and every one of them were fresh, one efforted snatch, it really does a lot to be destructive on the interior of the offensive line. Number two is Javon Dexter Senior is a big man. When I look at him standing out there practice and he stands ahead and shoulders above everybody else. He's got the lamp that is a real asset, and the way he uses.
Speaker 5: It for their defensive line, I think those are where the battles are. Who is going to be that third pass rusher behind Martez Sweat and DeMarcus Walker is going to be Jacob Martin can Dominique Robinson step up, the development of young Austin Booker, who's just getting his feet wet right now, Khaleid Kareem, who's obviously a veteran. I think that's where really the camp battles are are going to be, because you're going to need a third pass rusher and sometime rotate in there to keep guys fresh. Which guy is going to step up and be and going to be able to really fill that room?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 4: When we come back, we'll be joined by Richard h.
Speaker 2: Tower, the Special Teams Coordinator, as we talk kick return and much more on Special Teams with Jim Miller and Tom There.
Speaker 4: I'm Jeff Joniak.
Speaker 2: This is the SPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network's.
Speaker 1: Bears Weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Jonyaik on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: This segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by CDW people to get it.
Speaker 4: Richard Hiitier, the.
Speaker 2: Bear Special Teams coordinator, uniquely involved with the new change in kick return rules this year, along with several other members of the special teams coordinator community in the National Football League, as they have got basically a reinvigorated role because they're not just setting up returns and coverages. They're going to be making plays. As we listen into our interview with the Bear special teams coordinator.
Speaker 10: Thanks for having me, Jeff, I would say it's going to be exciting because every time the ball is kicked off, there's an opportunity for play. Where in the past there's been a touchback, it's been a dead play.
Speaker 6: You can take a break. This time it may go to the house. It may be a big hit inside the twenty.
Speaker 10: So you got to you gotta see what it's going to do for your offensive defense.
Speaker 2: Has this reinvigorated your coaching career because it's a play, it's going to be designed, it's matchups, timing, it's spacing. Not that any of that wasn't before, but I would think return right, return left, return mill, it's a whole different thing now.
Speaker 4: It's a design play, right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, a design play, and I think it's gonna reinvigorate the careers of more than anything, more than the players, you know, because now you're gonna have to look at keeping a certain roster construction based on the plays that these guys are going to be contributing to the game. So it's it's really exciting and it's really going to be a schematic battle.
Speaker 2: You're a guy that loves going to work every day, does this even put a little extra pep in your step now? Because it is drawing on all of your football coach aspects offense, defense, and special teams.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it really has.
Speaker 10: I mean, and it's litting a fire under players too, because they come in, uh, wide eyed and bushytail with more questions and they're excited. So it's it's been awesome because it's we're all students of the game and it's just stimulating our minds more and more so. And I want to give them every opportunity to be successful and be great. So I've talked to XFL coaches, talked to different coaches that have done this scheme or coached this scheme. I mean, it's this type of play, so again, I want to give them the best chance to be successful. So we've done our research on it, and the players have seemed to really like like that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, I'm sure it's caught their attention too in the same way, like this is going to be an exciting thing. And what are these coaches and others what they what are they'll drawn from what they've explained about what this.
Speaker 6: Is all about.
Speaker 10: Now, Yeah, the main draw draw from it is that the play is happening really fast.
Speaker 6: So uh, whereas.
Speaker 10: You would have time in the past to kind of read and react and you better be right or it could pop to the house, or it could be a I slip a block and make a tackle back there and inside the twenty yard line to set my defense up. So really, the speed of the play and how fast it happens.
Speaker 2: So is there anything that you have already trial and errored with that? Say, oh, I really didn't think about that while it's happening. I mean, for me just watching again, this is not training camp, pads aren't on yet. But the speed by which from the forty they're already even though they can't move until the ball hits something or somebody, they're they're they're.
Speaker 4: They're pretty quick. Yeah, So I mean there's not a lot of time.
Speaker 10: Yeah, no, you're watching it right, because we actually experimented with it with the rookies and like I just said, you know, a moment ago the rookies or they're trying to they're trying to throw an athroom. They're trying to find a bathroom. They didn't know what the heck what's going on when we when But when we did it with the veterans, Now it happens so much faster because there are obviously more experienced players and there faster. But you know, some of those rookies in the tryout guys we had it just it shocked me how much faster it happened with the veterans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure, there's no time. Tom and I have this thing. If you think your beat be there are no time, no time for thinking.
Speaker 2: So also thinking big picture, because when I'm talking to these groups, I said, mark my words, some player is going to win a game on kickoff, and your plans are gonna be going, oh, what a great job, what a great job. And around the league, some players gonna backfire. It's going to cost a team a game. This is the uniqueness of this in my opinion. It could be a dirty ball that bouncing around and it gets you know, fumbled, or whatever the case may be, or something really ingenious and you're gonna be talking about it on Monday morning.
Speaker 4: Would you say that's fair?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I would say that's fair, and I would say, you know, it's always been that, but not as much for the kickoff and kickoff return now and now it's back in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 2: Also a variety of different types of players, much like Tush Push.
Speaker 6: You know, we're copakat league.
Speaker 2: Do you sense that all eyeballs are your staff guys that work on that stuff, the assistants that are multi dimensional and not just a certain position. They'll be scanning the tape catalog and watching what works.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I mean, in fact, with this new staff, it's funny you bring that up. But with the new staff on offense, Shane has been dialed in to this and he just thinks it's so interesting.
Speaker 6: Like he is.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, him, Chad Morton, those guys have actually been so what do you think is gonna happen here?
Speaker 6: And what do you think? And have you thought about this? And we just.
Speaker 10: Talked football, whether it's offense or special team. So those guys have been really cool and good to get to.
Speaker 2: Know, honestly, And this is this is for your benefit a man who wants to be an NFL head coach. One day you're actually playing offensive coordinator. You're playing defensive coordinator and special teams coordinator, not.
Speaker 4: That you hadn't before, but this is a different level.
Speaker 2: Do you think this enhances special teams coordinators' abilities even in the future to be more marketable for jobs.
Speaker 6: Well, I sure hope so.
Speaker 10: Like in the past, I've always thought that, you know, and we've talked about this before, you've been as a special teams coordinator the only guy that deals with so much of the whole roster, like the head coach and mixing, matching and dealing with the whole team and roster decision and personnel and game management and all those different things.
Speaker 6: So I think it can only help.
Speaker 10: So I sure hope so for for because there are a lot there are a lot of good special teams coordinators.
Speaker 2: You know, when we look back at this, if it sticks, you know, no more fair catches, hopefully minimal touchbacks. There's going to be strategy involved. It's going to be a chess match late game. I'm really interested in, you know, are you willing to get in thirty I mean, are you willing or do you just want to really pin them in deep and let your defense in a home game go wild, get the crowd behind you, get them backed up us.
Speaker 4: That's a part of this.
Speaker 2: But also do you feel honored and humbled that you're part of the group that changed the rule? You gave your input and this will one day hey, if this sticks, you're in this group of Special Teams coaches that had to say in this.
Speaker 10: You know, I never really thought about it that way, but I got to be honest with you, I just got chills when you asked me that question.
Speaker 6: True, because.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, it's something I'm definitely proud and honored to be a part of. And I'm proud that you know, we included all the other.
Speaker 6: Special Teams coaches as well, you know.
Speaker 10: But to be selected to be on a working group with Darren Rizzy and John Fossil, to learn and meet with the Competition committee and meet with the owners and meet with the league office, it's it's.
Speaker 6: Something that I don't take for granted. I'm extremely grateful for it.
Speaker 2: And how and how beautiful is it the symmetry of Devin Hester going to the Hall of Fame during a period of which you know, special teams, I mean, kick returns were basically engineered out of the plan. But to celebrate his success is history to hit it back in there in a different way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm so fired up for him.
Speaker 10: It's just awesome that the rule happened and he's going in.
Speaker 6: The Hall this year, and the cap it all off.
Speaker 10: We get a chance to play in the Hall of Fame game as well, So it's just been a I mean, right now, it's a match made in heaven.
Speaker 6: I can't wait to see him going the Hall.
Speaker 2: All right, last they let you go. How's the unit three two to one? How's the unit looking? You got a lot of variety, young veteran, you name it, different positions.
Speaker 4: How's it looking?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's day.
Speaker 10: Got a lot of young talent, which Ryan and those guys in personnel in and Jeff and all those guys have done a heck of a job assembling.
Speaker 6: Pieces to work with.
Speaker 10: So it's coming along and we're just improving every day. But the veterans are leading the youngsters right now, and it's been.
Speaker 6: Exciting, it really has.
Speaker 10: So we just got to keep putting into work, one foot in front of the other and hopefully put a hell of a product out there Chicago.
Speaker 6: Fans can be proud of, enjoyed it, and have fun with it. Thanks Jill, appreciate you, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Jim and tom What strikes you about that from him? I like the fact that Shane Waldron's even like, hey, I guarantee you some of these offensive coaches, maybe even the defense, they're gonna draw plays up and say, hey, why don't you give this a look, Let's see what happens.
Speaker 3: Right, Tommy, Well, you think of historically throughout the NFL and the life of the NFL, how some of these coaches like Marv Levy and stuff would have taken this challenge inspecting the entire offseason, after drawing board trying to figure out angles and how to create actual return blocking plays that they've never done in the history of the game. I think it's going to be one of the most exciting elements of this the beginning of this season, throughout the preseason, and into the regular season. And like you asked them, it's going to have some game changing effects at the end or during the course of the game. And I think it's going to be super exciting to watch from the Hall of Fame game to the end of the year.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think you see teams that legitimately now are investing assets through the draft and free agency because of this new kickoff return rule. I mean go back many Bears fans. They know Quarterall Patterson and how deadly he is in the return game. What did Pittsburgh Steelers do as soon as that rule was passed? They signed quarter Ole Patterson and for me, probably the youngest or probably the best way to incorporate a young players, say like a Roma Dunza is as a kick or a punt returner where they can have a big impact. And a Dunza does have punt returnability, then kick returnability.
Speaker 1: That's what the.
Speaker 5: Kansas City Chiefs did as soon as they drafted Tyreek Hill. That's how he really burst onto the scene for the Kansas City Chiefs. So teams have had to now invest assets in kick returners and guys up front that will be battling hand to hand combat, say like tight ends and things like that. Will probably be a bigger body that's out there on kickoff coverage because it's becoming more of a hand to hand combat play. It's going to be interesting how it plays out all year long, but fans should love it because what once was really an inconsequential play because everybody was just kicking it through the end zone for a touchback. You're going to see a legitimate kickoff returns. And now it's legitimized this play again, and I'm glad they put the foot back in football.
Speaker 2: I love this man's passion. I like when he gets fired up. That's Jim Miller.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: I'm Jeff Joniac back with more after this at ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Bears Weekly with a Voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Joniac on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 4: Call the Gol Bears.
Speaker 2: Fans want unforgettable access to see the Chicago Bears play at Soldier Field this season, well VIP Official Ticket Package is now available for every home game. Unlock access to exclusive ticket packages that may include entry to in stadium hospitality lounges, pregame, sideline credentials, and the Chicago City Pass. Visit Chicago Bears VIP dot Com are called eight six six two oh two fifty seven to fifty five. For more info again, that's Chicago Bears VIP dot Com are called eight six six two oh two fifty seven to fifty five. Don't miss this exclusive opportunity with Chicago Bears VIP Jim Miller, Tom there, Jeff Joniack with you on Bears Weekly. Always get some bold thoughts from Tom Thayer in advance of the show, And Tom, you have some pretty keen insight on on the little bit you've seen so far of what the offseason program has looked like from a passing game perspective. With this rookie quarterback Caleb Williams and his new cachet of weaponry, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 3: They're a better passing team right now than they finished the season last year. I think the timing of Caleb, whether it's zone coverage or man demand, his ability to put the ball in a position where it's super difficult for the coverages by the defensive backs. There are times that he doesn't want to throw the ball and he's willing to hold it and then throw it out of bounds before he gets to the line of scrimmage instead of taking a sack or looking to run down field. Those are types of the growing not growing pains, the growing process of a quarterback. But what I see right now in seven on seven and in TeamWorks of this passing offense, Caleb is going to be such an exciting quarterback to watch with this personnel that he he has to work with. But his efficiency long passes downfield like we always used to see, you know, Aaron Rodgers and stuff. Let's call a man and man coverage twenty five yards downfield and try to invite pass interference. That's the type of accuracy he has downfield, the different windows that he understands. In zone coverage, he knows how to take advantage of him. When it is man coverage, he knows how to put the ball in position where the receiver is going to be the first guy to touch it. So after you see from the day one of him getting here to the last practice of last week, his improvement, his recognition, his understanding of the terminology, the little discussions he has behind the line of scrimmage in between plays. It's impressive and I think it's something that Jim Miller quarterback like that we should all be excited about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree with that. I think he gets the benefit of being in a Lincoln Riley system. You know, whether it's you Knowatrick Mahomes that was in that system, whether it's somebody like Baker Mayfield or even Kyler Murray. I think, you know, the passing concepts. There's a lot of carryover to the NFL in terms of the pro passing schemes that Lencoln Riley. So he's been exposed to a lot the last few years at USC being in that system, and I think it helps him from the timing and rhythm and all the things that Tom is talking about. So he's got a lot of reps in it, and I think that will continue and continue to improve. You know, he's still going to have his bumps along the way, There's no doubt about that. You don't want him to carry the load in terms of passing, but I think the Bears will be, you know, basically a fifty percent run to passing team where he's not carrying that whole load. So that's what they plan for him, and he's not going to have to do it all himself.
Speaker 4: Who makes you better here?
Speaker 2: I mean I know the answer is both, But who makes you better the dbs that are already zooming around, flying around and they have a lot of chemistry on the back end, or Caleb.
Speaker 5: I think the defensive backs will make him better because I think we all know the windows are a lot smaller in the NFL. Probably the best thing I ever did where I learned a lot. We used to scrimmage the Washington Redskins every year at training camp when I was with the Steelers. Guess what I was up there with the ones going against Darryl Green. He's obviously one of the best in the league. And you know, I learned to get the ball out and those windows are small. And so I think the Bears, because they have a really good secondary, that's going to benefit a young Caleb Williams of how to throw into tight windows.
Speaker 3: You know, I think we're super fortunate to have Eric Washington called it the best back seven that he's coached so far, and to have great receivers in their future because I think both of these guys are making each other better. And that's one thing about the continuous development of Caleb Williams. To work with this group of talent, they're going to be able to make the defensive back better as much as the defensive backs can make the whole offense better. So I think it's a great combination that these guys are going to have a chance to work against this week in mandatory mini camp, going forward to training camp, and then when they have joint practices as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's going to be wins and losses on each side, especially a training camp. But I think it's a great, great question, a great topic, certainly the DBS against Caleb or Caleb against the DBS. I saw a Pro Football Focus post Sunday on Patrick Mahomes quote, good luck taking Patrick Mahomes down. Sacks allowed since twenty eighteen annually, twenty six, twenty five, twenty four, twenty eight, twenty six, twenty eight, which was the second fewest number in the NFL last season, all were top five.
Speaker 4: Seasons and fewest sacks.
Speaker 2: Is that him and his unique ability to escape and get rid of the football or late in the down to get rid of the football, be smart about it and accommodate of his offensive line.
Speaker 4: And is this kind of a template you'd love.
Speaker 2: To see for Caleb Williams, especially early in his career, because Patrick is not seeing ghosts, He's avoiding the rush at an elite rate.
Speaker 5: Well, the last two years when you look at the Bears, you know, for with Justin Field's way too many sacks, and that doesn't when you get sacked, it doesn't allow you to stay on schedule. And I think that's where Patrick Mahomes has really grown as a quarterback. You list those numbers, Jeff, those are terrific numbers. If you're under thirty sacks in a season, that's where you want to be. And I just think it's him playing a lot smarter. Yeah, he'll take off when he needs to, but it's normally in the postseason. If you watch him during the regular season, he's staying on schedule. It's not till the postseason, like in that game against Miami in that frigid cold where he took off and remember his helmet exploded and where he's conscious of I got to make some plays with my legs and get some first down. But during the regular season, it's all about staying on schedule. And that's where Patrick Mahomes is terrific at and hopefully Caleb Williams will identify that as well, where he's trying to stay on schedule. I would expect it to be better in the second half of the season, once he gets his feet or his sea legs underneath him and really starts to feel that of how it needs to unfold for him to do that.
Speaker 3: You know, Jeff, in your interview with Eric Washington. He said one of his great quotes was bonding builds trust. And I think the more that Caleb gets to trust his receivers and his offensive players and he understands that they're going to be in the exact position he expects out of them, then you're going to see that special kind of arm talent on display, the decision making process, the ability to maybe throw a guy open that looks covered, or you look at some of those trust passes that Travis Kelsey gets just because they've developed that bonding relationship. So I think that's one of the things that can benefit a guy like Caleb is the more that he can trust every one of these guys, the more of those unique passes you're going to see.
Speaker 2: Only three teams gave up thirty or less sacks last year Jordan Love and the Packers at thirty, twenty eight for KC and twenty four for the Buffalo Bills. Few of sacks in the NFL, So yeah, we'd love to be under thirty. Apparently tough to do with today's NFL. And if you're the New York Giants giving up eighty five head for the Hills, tom eighty five.
Speaker 5: Tommy cutl I've ever heard of that. Yeah, between Daniel Jones and Tommy Cutletz, they struggled. Part of it was their offensive line, but a young inexperience to Tommy DeVito in there for once Daniel Jones got hurt. That didn't help either.
Speaker 4: Tom.
Speaker 2: I feel for you because you're probably having You're probably having daytime sweats on that one already thinking.
Speaker 4: Whoever, who can survive eighty five second?
Speaker 3: It makes me think, what's the most in the history of the NFL during this well sixteen game season, because seventeen games has only been around a couple of years, you know, is that is that the most ever in the history of the NFL? And oh my gosh, how can the offensive line coach still have a job and how can the offensive lineman not be all competed against for their job? I know they have a solid one solid offensive tackle, but oh my god, eighty five.
Speaker 2: No, I just went back about ten years I got and there's nothing any even close to that. So no, all right, We'll take a break and you can gather your breath. That's Tom Beair Jim Miller our final thoughts after this on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Bears Weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Jonyik on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: This segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by IGS Energy, Jeff and Tom and Jim Miller from Serious XMNFL Radio is moving the change.
Speaker 4: A couple of national nuggets.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, the Bears will fly the most estimated miles of any Bears team in history, nineteen thousand, four hundred and seventy, eclipsing a record that was set in twenty eleven according to Stats Inc.
Speaker 4: That's the London trips in there.
Speaker 2: You got to go to San Francisco, so it's not a shocker, But you know, do you factor that in it all?
Speaker 4: Does that matter? Is that just funny, fun conversation.
Speaker 3: Fun conversation. I mean that hot Arizona, San Francisco, right, the London trip, But then you got to take into account division games Minnesota, Detroit, Green Bay. You're in the air for twenty minutes, so you know, snow, big deal.
Speaker 5: I really don't care. If they hadn't fly to Mexico City and play in a parking lot, it doesn't matter. Get your mind right, to play football.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get your mind right on the wie receivers. Justin Jefferson gets his bag, He gets his bag, sets a new bar thirty five million annually. Uh, the Vikings get it done for a premier weapon. But the records are changing monthly. And now the highest paid non quarterback in the NFL is Justin Jefferson at wide receiver. How high can the bargo Jim Well?
Speaker 5: Next up, it's going to be Jamar Chase and CD Lamb you know, and certainly Brandon Ayuka has to be paid. And there has to be a market correction in my opinion, that has this position at some point. I mean, you've got now, there's five teams that are paying receivers, two guys over twenty million dollars. The Bears are one.
Speaker 4: Of them, right, five teams.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then you.
Speaker 5: Look at who they just traded for in Keenan Allen. Five teams in the NFL have done that. Man, that is a lot of salary cap dedicated at one position. I get it, because a lot of teams run what we call eleven personnel. There's going to be three wide receivers out on the field. But I think at some point, maybe after Jamar Chase and Cede Lamb, that there is going to be a market correction at this position moving forward.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, how.
Speaker 3: Can you pay CD Lamb over thirty five million dollars when you're paying Dak Prescott over fifty million dollars. You're gonna have two guys eating up such a significant amount of their salary cap. And then you got Micah Parsons waiting in the wings for his deal. It's gonna be like Jim said, there's got to be a market correction or else. And then you think about if there is no market correction, you think in two and four years about the Bears with DJ Moore coming up, this scenario with Keenan Allen, and then when Caleb Williams and Roma Dunes they are up in four years, what is the market commitment going to be?
Speaker 2: Then it's a very fair question, very fair question. Now running backs are making a third on average of a wide receiver. I mean that that that market corrected obviously, But boy, that is that is some interesting stuff right there.
Speaker 4: If you ask me, does.
Speaker 2: It matter to you guys that Lamar Jackson missed more than eighty percent of offseason workouts for the Ravens, gave up a seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars bonus In addition.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm somewhat surprised. You know that he would do that. It's only his second year into the system of the Todd Monkin, you know, him taking over his offensive coordinator, and you know, I think we know how he finished the season. It wasn't a great game against the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship game. So I am somewhat surprised. Again, it's voluntary. I know he's a veteran now, but he's by no means is a finished product. So I was somewhat shocked about that, because no other guy in the AFC North, and to me, that's the best division in football. I mean, you look at between Cincinnati and Joe Burrow. Now what the Steelers have added in the Cleveland Browns. Obviously, Deshaun Watson has to really be consistent this year, but that's a difficult division, and I would have thought he would have been there more than that, and I'm sure they would have liked him to be there more than that. But of course John Harpball coaches play nice now, they say it's voluntary. You know they don't have to be here. But I guarantee internally, John Harball, his blood is boily.
Speaker 3: Quite frankly, when they get rid of OTAs, we won't even have these discussions anymore. You're not going to have the chance to make a seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars bonus for showing up unless you show up in the weight room. That used to be the requirements to earn offseason bonuses back in the days. And so you know, NFL fans and all this, you know, changing up schedules. Once you get rid of OTAs, we won't have to have this discussion anymore.
Speaker 2: And then a shout out to Tarikh and the former Bear gets a one year deal last week with the Jets. Has not played in the league since twenty twenty was with the Carolina Panthers, trying to attempt another comeback. I root for the guy. He was always a great kid to work with here in Chicago. His love of the game is this is what he wanted was to be an NFL player, and he was so excited to be a Bear. Unfortunately, a severe injury and the subsequent surgeries that filed have really derailed that dream a little bit here, but somebody's given him a carrot, and I hope it happens for him.
Speaker 3: Guys, so do I I all the best retreat calling because he was a guy that you know, you didn't know if he was going to make it when he came into the league just given his size, and then he impressed everybody. And I hope he has the equal amount of success he had here in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Really, Robert Salad talked about it. Why did they add him? Because of the new kickoff return rule. That's where he's going to be a weapon. I mean, solid is his staff. I guess ran a study. They expect that there could be over one hundred kick returns this year, say for the New York Jets and dree Gohen has been known to be a very explosive player and it's unfortunate what happened to him as a Chicago Bear because he has big play potential and I hope he's one hundred percent healthy so we can see that on display again.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, but fellas, that's going to do it for us.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Special teams coordinator Richard high Tower for Tom Thayer and Jim Miller.
Speaker 4: I'm Jeff Joniac, the.
Speaker 2: Executive producer of the Bears Radio Network, Eric Ostrowski, Thanks, Dan Brilli, Jordan Treadap and Sean Greeney. Coming up next, Black and Abdada. This has been Bears Weekly, ESPN Chicago and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 4: Good night, everybody.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to the Chicago Bears Network presentation of Bears Weekly, hosted by the Mayra, Bearsville, Jeff Juniac and Surfmaster Tom Thayer. Podcasts are available on the Chicago Bears Official Bears Weekly has been brought to you by Apple Podcasts, Ben Rivers, Igs Energy, and Miller Lite