Speaker 1: Don't know every day waiting go click your ass up the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: You don't finish for y'all done morning. Everybody is dj NV Jess hilarious, Charlamage the guy.
Speaker 3: We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: We got a special guest in the building, Lalla roast to say as well, we got a special.
Speaker 3: Guest in the buildings.
Speaker 2: Indeed training it to the NBA players and a host of other things he has going on, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Chris Brickley, welcome back.
Speaker 1: Man, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: How you feeling.
Speaker 1: I feel great? You know, I feel like coming to this show three times it means like you're doing something right. To me, this is the dopest show, got the biggest platform where you guys do is amazing. So to come three times it's so. I'm a little tired. Last night I won a little drive, went to my old apartments just to like, you know, kind of like celebrate where I'm at right now, and uh yeah, I'm just thankful in the moment.
Speaker 3: What's important?
Speaker 2: Why'd you decide to do that? Why you wanted to go back? Most people go forward? Why do you want to go back and see where you so?
Speaker 1: You know, going on the breakfast club is cool for the third time. So I'm like, Okay, I'm literally going to drive to one or sixth and Columbus. Then I drove to I lived in Cliffside Park, and then so I drove to all these just I do that just sometimes when I feel like I might be losing motivation, just to get that back. And then also sometimes it's in celebration mode type thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, for people that don't know who you are, You're an NBA trainer. You play basketball for Louisville. Yeah, and what got you into training basketball? Why do people feel like you are the trainer that they should work with because you work. We've seen you work with people like of course Mellow, We've seen you work with Lebron, We've seen you work with Hard and Westbrook, just to name a few. So why are you the person that people say I got to train with Chris Man.
Speaker 1: That's a great question. I thank God every day. I think at the end of the day, I'm a good person. I study my craft and the players know I care. And also I'd be dumb not to say luck comes with anything anyone really successful. Some type of luck needs to come wrong the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So how much of a player development is mental versus physical?
Speaker 1: That's a great question. There's so many players that if you watch the workout, they wouldn't miss a shot, and you bet they should be in the NBA. They play in Euros because when the game comes, they just become like a mental midget, Like they miss a shot, then they just pack it in. So yeah, the mental aspect is huge. So, like my job is a I'm a trainer, teaching players how to play, but then also teaching players like don't get too down, hold yourself accountable, a lot of mental stuff. Yeah, part of it huge, huge.
Speaker 5: So aside of mental, what else do you look at with a player when you're like, okay this. Players want to be a star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's two ways that go about it. So sometimes else I'll work with a player and he's already all star. So in those aspects, they still want to get better, but they'll be like studying my game, try and figure out what I need to get better at. I'll tell him what I think and then we'll attack it. Then you have situations like Donovan Mitchell. So I started working with Donovan Mitchell, he had like seven hundred followers. On Instagram. He was like eleventh grade. Now he's an NBA superstar. So they're like to do that and see that it's super dope. I did that with Kayane Anthony, Cole Anthony and recently Sierra Future Junior. He's eleven years old. Russell Wilson hits me up and he's like, yo, I want you to do what you did Kayenne Cole Donovan to my son. So he's been in the gym.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you, what when you like a play like Lebron right, who's probably one of the best players ever one off right, what do you train him to make him better?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What can make him better?
Speaker 1: Like when I'm saying what makes you like he's the goat? So yeah, you're right. It's like, so a he can get better at things, like even great players always have some flaws in the game. Once we started working, Lebron was like, all right, I want you to watch film tonight, come over to the workout tomorrow and tell me two things that I need to get better at. So this is like nerve wracking going on, Lebron.
Speaker 3: Don't you want to test?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: He did, and so I gave him two things. He liked him, and uh, yeah, so that does all always weaknesses. There's always weaknesses, even the greats.
Speaker 2: Now you call Lebron the goat, people will be like, Lebron's not the goat.
Speaker 1: Jordan is the goat too.
Speaker 2: Why do you have Lebron as your goat?
Speaker 1: Man? He scored the most points in NBA history. That's just the fact he holds so many records, I mean effect doing it in this era with the social media and all that, all the hate, it's just a lot what he's going through. He's won team championships with three teams. His his brand is Giant, so it was Jordan's but now I'm team Lebron all day.
Speaker 6: How do you feel when people be coming for Bronni?
Speaker 1: It's messed up. We can swear on this, right, Yeah, it's fucked up because the end of the day, he didn't choose to be Lebron's son. Like he he's a great He's literally like a great kid. And uh, you could tell, you know, it's a little it's a sore spot for the family. I wouldn't want to someone messing with my kid, and none of none of you guys would. But Bronni's actually really good. I think that. I I think he's just gonna peak like in a year or two.
Speaker 2: Do you think he should bring in the league because that's your training.
Speaker 1: For sure, because people don't understand before his freshman year he had that hard stuff, like I think he had the guest was this seizure or he passed out something major couldn't so he could played like half the season. So yeah, he's an NBA player.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what what made you pivot to being a trainer, right rather than still in a career of being a player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so obviously I wanted the NBA player, but I wasn't good enough, so I couldn't. I couldn't. Yeah, some of the best, so I made the most him. So I grew up in New Hampshire. You know, I still hold the record many records there. Played at Louisville. Had two NBA guys in front of me, and yeah, I could have gone overseas, but I was like, I played for Rick Patino and then my two mentors at Rick Patino and Phil Jackson was actually on the shirt two of the greatest coaches to ever do it. And so I'm like, Okay, if I have the opportunity to know these guys, let's attack this coaching thing. So I did the coaching thing, Like now it's not for me, So then I started training thing.
Speaker 2: Who was the first player that believed in you as a trader, said Jerr Smith.
Speaker 1: That's one of some of my close friends. My first year when I was with the Knicks, I was making three hundred dollars a week. He let me stay in his and his coach, so I stayed on Jr's couch for the whole year. Shout out to JR. For that hand to do that. Yeah, JR Is a good guy.
Speaker 5: Did you see recently Don Sale was talking about she interviewed to be the coach of the Knicks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you think about that? I mean, I think it's fire. You know.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I feel like they would have known how to protect her and the way she might have needed. They would have came right. Everything I would have came her way, and I would have hated to have seen that. But I don't know much about sports. I just know it's like being a black woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, for sure. I actually I wanted to get the job. I think soon enough there'll be a coach in the NBA it's a girl coach there, yeah, girl refs. It's kind of funny and the players yelling at the but uh yeah, no, I think it's coming soon for sure.
Speaker 6: What's the most slept on player in NBA right now?
Speaker 1: Slept on right now in the league, So like there's levels, I guess, but I would say tie Jerome, Ti Jerome. Yeah, he's like another kid. I guess I'm being biased. I've worked to them since like eighth grade and just to see that, there's no better feeling working with the kid and watching him like achieve his dreams.
Speaker 4: Have you ever trained somebody that you knew they was just gonna be trash after you even after that?
Speaker 1: Maybe if I do like favorite workouts, like but like for like someone's some celebrity son, you know, Clue. Clue is overly confident. He's like delusionally confident. But so he has but to be a good Clue that is so funny. So to be a good shooter, you need to be delusionally confident. But he's he's just not a great shooter yet.
Speaker 2: Talking about.
Speaker 3: Clo plays basketball? Who takes basketball?
Speaker 1: I do these rapper runs and it will be like Drake Quavo Bieber and who's there? He's there?
Speaker 2: Okay, no, no, clue plays well for real, like he comes like, yes.
Speaker 3: I know his outf all the time.
Speaker 2: What are you thinking about his junk shot he throws like from the it goes in though, so.
Speaker 1: You can guys get that, and he's probably get mad at me for what I've said to it. He's a good guy.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you know, when you train these players and you look at somebody like Lebron or you look at somebody like Chris Paul that that are, you know, forty year old, but they still play good ball. Why do you think they're able to play so good at this age where a lot of players at the age of thirty two got to tap out? Is it the training? Is it their body in shape or is it their IQ when it comes to basketball.
Speaker 1: Just the way their approach Like so Lebron will do it eight am workout, He shows up at six am every single time. Say we've worked out twenty times, tename workout, he shows up at eight am like he's just like prepared. And I think these guys, I think the ones that make it so to take ten years, super hard to make it past ten years to do that, you got to sacrifice sometimes, your family time. You got to sacrifice a lot. Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 4: You got this new shoe coming out. You ain't coming here with no sneakers.
Speaker 1: Na, So you guys know, you guys got so Ben's also that's dope. Yeah, Mercedes, so she uh, you know that when I was at FDU, I was the youngest Vision one assistant. She was a coach, you know, she coached.
Speaker 2: I met us she was coaching and she was coaching against my son. Okay, and that's how we actually met. And then she started coaching my son.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And she coached a bunch of players actually to made them to the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, sure. So she gave me all your guys sizes, so you guys are gonna have next week. So I have your size yet your size? Yeah? Yeah, sales are fire. So I want him to be basketball shoes that you could wear off the court. And I feel like, you know it's in Yeah, you could wear them.
Speaker 6: Did you design him? Yourself?
Speaker 1: Designed them everything? So the leather it's leather and Swede, which is kind of rare for a basketball shoe. Shout out to Rihanna. She did like a leather and swede Puma shoe, and I was like, ah, it's dope. You guys know what brown street signs me in New York City? No, so you know mostlim of green, so brown one means like an historical landmark. So I did brown. So the whole thing is like a old to New York City. Nineteen forty eight is when Puma started, like legacy and then street signs. But I did the street signs like the names of my gym, certain things that mean something to me. So yeah, I hope they do well. I got the one on six in Columbus Deli menu, you know, in the So it's like little dope things like my photographer took this from my from my crib. This is like my view shot the next subject, so you know.
Speaker 2: And how did you get to how did you link up with Puma?
Speaker 1: So man when we first started, So no trainers ever signed a sneakerdale, like a real sneaker deal, like an NBA player sneaker deal.
Speaker 6: I've never heard of a trainer even getting a sneak and it's crazy. It's like a trainer influencer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate that influence a word, but no, I guess you could say that for sure, but so we I seen someone wearing Rudy Gaye was wearing Pumas. I sent my manager, but we need to get this done. We end up getting it done. So then two years into it, asked them for a sneaker. They're like, no, I remember being on the flight to alex like, yo, I gotta work harder. Like next year, got a sneaker. First sneaker sold out first day, and I'm like, damn, I didn't even think people. Second sneaker sold out first day, foot Locker, Dick Sporting Goods over the world. Now this is the third one, and you know, I'm hoping it just does good helping ourselves up.
Speaker 6: Man, it's dope.
Speaker 4: I heard you say earlier that you like to go back to some of the places that you live when you feel if you're not motivated or you want to celebrate what about what you do? Yeah, get you in a rupt where you're not motivated.
Speaker 1: Sometimes, man, just uh, I feel like I'm giving all my energy right. I feel like, so they have seven workouts today, every seventh player that comes in, all seven players, they want the full Chris Brickley. So I felt like seven PM comes and like my brain is done. And sometimes that affects my personal life, like I'm not giving my girlfriend the energy she needs, or I'm not giving my family I have I have a big family, or maybe I'm it just and I know you guys know how that that how that works. But so just any job. And then sometimes the players, one superstar player might not like it if I'm marking another superstar player out. So keeping the politics and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you surprised by your fame sometimes because I know you came to the car show last week and it was like people were taking pictures with you like crazy, like it would like almost.
Speaker 3: Surprising to you.
Speaker 1: My boy next so he's seen it all. He was when no one knew me he was there, so shout out. The next he was with me at the at the car show. So you know, I'm looking at the BMW's first off your car shows fire, thank you. I'm gonna go back. And I was just trying to, you know, take pictures and then you know, one dude's like, yo, we do an interview, we had some podcasting. Then another dude's like we take a picture. And there was just like six people right away, and I was just like it's it's amazing right to have that, but just sometimes, like where I live, it's an issue. I have to promote where my gym is and where I live, so as people waiting outside that want to propose stuff, and it's just like, uh, I want some privacy.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah. I started feeling like your car show were not.
Speaker 1: But it was dope though, Oh thank you.
Speaker 2: I want to ask, you know when it when it comes to these trainers and they seek you out, do these people pay you? Like does Lebron cut you a check for training or does these people You'd be like, n I'll train Lebron for free.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, so they'll all pay. Everyone I trained pays but I let it. I like leave it up to them, especially like the superstar players. I know I'm getting some out of it, so I'm like, whatever you think that you pay me. Now the young guys, I feel like some guys come to me because they just want an Instagram post to have like a big platform, And I'm like, nah, if you want to work out a week or two weeks, we can do it. But I'm not doing the one workout one Instagram post.
Speaker 2: When I'm doing that, what's the most you got paid. You know what you got to say? Who's from just the most? You got paid to train with Chris Brickley.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess I'll give you two innswers. Gary V did a like did some my charity thing someone spent? Was it fifteen thousand dollars to train with me? But as far as like how much I charge someone, so usually it would be like I won't be in a good mood. I'm tired, someone asked me to train and I just give some crazy number, thinking I say no because you.
Speaker 6: Don't feel like it.
Speaker 1: We're sure we got that for sure. Shot got twenty five hundred, like a thirty minute workout. That was the most for sure. Yeah, which is fine, which is cool. I mean, it's just it's not.
Speaker 4: Like now you did say you're you know, sometimes your your girlfriend, your kid does get to see you like that?
Speaker 6: Who are you outside of your brand?
Speaker 1: And yeah you do right.
Speaker 6: Because definitely matter as a person.
Speaker 1: For sure. I'm like a super introvert. So I watched the first two my two interviews here and I'm like cringe. I'm like damn, because that's something me. I get mad at Chai. It's funny, like I'm like, well, when I'm speaking to Lebron or I'm speaking to KD or these like or Bieber or Drake in a workout, I'm like, I'm super confident. Yeah, but then I become introvert. But nah, I'm just a super loving person. Care about my people. That's my whole life. Like when I told my dad he could retire, that was like, like I made it like in my life and my that's how I feel. So yeah, So I think I'm a good person that take pride in that I've learned. Though, as your life is living, people take advantage of Then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how was Drake as a basketball player.
Speaker 1: He's gotten a lot better. He's done a lot better for sure. Last time he came here like thirteen threes, so he still was honest page, It's funny these rappers come and like to me, like doing a showing for an eighty dozen people's cool. They think a video a workout video on my gym is cool, and I'm like, yo, all the things, like yes, that's it's funny. The best celebrity ball man, so I would say, I got a girl in it, guys. So I worked with her the singer for like six months.
Speaker 5: She's nice she's nice, but she wanted to do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you know, she wanted to try and make the WNBA. So basically the singer. Yeah. So if you guys google it her successor No, this is two years ago, for like almost a year. Sh if you google it, there's pictures of it. So we we trained. The The goal was she's like, I'm gonna make a WNBA roster and then uh, she had a label switch some personal stuff and she's like, I just got to get this album. And she's been in that mode. But we were training every day she had she was making fifteen threes in a row. Wow, her NBA three You.
Speaker 4: Ask they said, yeah, because I'll see them when I see them one time.
Speaker 3: So he played basketball.
Speaker 1: I don't want not gonna see. I could post up who was the guy the guy best Jaco, because I mean he he came to me and he's like, yo, I know I'm ten years too late, but I'm willing to give you three months. Can you get me to become a pro basketball player? And he played NBA Africa and then he played in the camps, so that was dope. He would put his kids to sleep getting his bike jape, you know, the whole bike that he would ride his bike to my crib. We work over two hours, reinstructed his jump shot. Yeah made NBA Africa.
Speaker 6: Have you ever played Chris Brown?
Speaker 1: So you know Chris Brown, that was my best friend in the world for like four years.
Speaker 6: Oh, I got mine too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my man.
Speaker 2: So to a point, friend, I'm sorry, go ahead, please Chris go.
Speaker 1: So to a point, when I was working with the Knicks, every day off we had, I would fly out to LA and we chill, we kick it. He's flying for my birthday. That was my man. That's like I think. So the whole music stuff. I started meeting all these artists through Chris. So I'd come to New York with Chris. He was like he's already prime Chris, but he was like super prime Chris. And uh, you know, I got cast Snova on tour with him. I got Dave East his only plaque. I got him a song. I got so many artists songs through being cool. COO. That's definitely a cool thing. But CB is nice. If he like wanted to be from like an eighteen year old, I got a story for you. So I coached at Ludacris weekend. Nine NBA players, one artist, Chris Brown. He scored thirty points. Wow, this is like six years ago. Really, Yeah, how's Dirk?
Speaker 2: People say dirt yea Derk.
Speaker 1: Dirk's good too, Derek, and shoot shout Dirk. You know everything that's going on. I hope yeah, I hope he gets that soon. I spoke to him last night.
Speaker 3: Last night.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, really ye yeah, he's in good spirits. It was actually like really really good spirits. And he's like, yo, bro, He's like, when I get out, I'm coming to the gym with training, I'm going league and he said that, so yeah, shut out Derek. Man, it's one of my good friends.
Speaker 5: He checking with you all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're super close. We're super close. And I was super close with Vaughan too, Me and me and my I got next the night before that happened. I remember we're at I was at my house. I'm like sleeping and he's facetiming me Van over. He's like, come on, pull up on me, pull up on me. We pulled up on him. We got pictures. And then the next day that happened. I was messed up.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, huh, I safe, Thank you well for yourself.
Speaker 1: You guys too have an amazing, extra.
Speaker 6: Humble coolest how I love what you do. Don't forget my shoes of Chris facts.
Speaker 1: Yeah you really going to rock them though? So so what I did because I'm like, damn, I don't know if kids would like him, So I added, they better have these in here here we go. So for like, if you're a kid and you want to be loud at these laces, so there's like a little accident here, so yeah, if you want to be loud, could do that. When do you rock these off the court?
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna rock them. I gotta put them on my wall up here.
Speaker 1: You see.
Speaker 3: Okay, you got.
Speaker 1: Those big yellow ones.
Speaker 5: Those are uh what's his name up?
Speaker 6: Okay, envy wares too?
Speaker 3: Those are the Monica Air Force waters.
Speaker 1: Yes, got the Fat Joe's Shout out to Fat Joe Man. He might be the funniest slash joke. I don't know if he's telling a real story or not. Type of guy I know just from watching. I'm like that, didn't I get to say I'm not hating because it's a big show. I'm not hating. Shout Fat Joe Man.
Speaker 6: Uh No, doesn't play basketball, look like he was. He's ever been trained shoe.
Speaker 1: Yeah call it's funny though. His whole slob's love thing. You know, he's larious.
Speaker 2: Yea, all right, Well, show comes out September fifth, which is next Friday.
Speaker 3: Make sure you go pick him up. Where can people get him?
Speaker 1: So foot Locker, Dick Sporting Goods, Puma dot Com. They're gonna sell out Quicks then being ground and yeah, all over the world.
Speaker 6: Pro Nitro two's.
Speaker 2: Chris Brickley, Ladies and gentlemen, make sure you pick up a sneakers that come out this Friday. Charlamage is already waitting online of Dick, so he's there already.
Speaker 1: Chris Brickley appreciate you every day a week ago clicks up
Speaker 3: The Breakfast Club