Speaker 1: Mees, Elliett, you've been yawning all day.
Speaker 2: I have.
Speaker 3: Cowie's right, you are very yawny. Why are you so tired?
Speaker 2: Well, I've been trying not to sleep, really, but why don't you want to go to sleep?
Speaker 3: Because of the dog?
Speaker 1: What dog?
Speaker 3: I don't see a dog. The dog only comes when I'm sleeping. A sleepy dog.
Speaker 1: I'm so converced.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Stories for Kids by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning. Join us as we learn about dreams. Why do we have them? Why are they sometimes silly but sometimes scary? Can we control our dreams? Join us to find out. In today's episode, Elliot, it sounds like you have been having some interesting dreams. Yeah, I don't like it.
Speaker 4: I don't know what you are so worried about, Elliot. I think dogs are super cute.
Speaker 1: They wag their tails like this. Oh, I would wag my tail like a dog.
Speaker 3: Lingo Kids listeners, can you wag your tail like a dog? Everyone? Try it? See Elliot.
Speaker 2: Dods are fun, Yeah, but my dog is not fun.
Speaker 3: It's more scary. Elliot. It sounds like this dream is upsetting you. Maybe it would help to tell us what feels scary about the dog in your dream. Well, it's really big and.
Speaker 1: Harry you flu Wait, it's a blue dog, Elliot.
Speaker 3: Dogs aren't blue.
Speaker 4: Mine is, and and it's philly fast.
Speaker 3: Billy is wondering how you know it's really fast.
Speaker 2: I know it's fast because the dog is always chasing me. There's the big, hairy blue dog. Catch you Alliott, No, not yet.
Speaker 3: That's why I can't go to sleep. Billy says, it sounds like your dream is a nightmare.
Speaker 2: No, it's not a mirror, Billy.
Speaker 3: It's a dream, but not a good kind. Ah, Billy is saying, nightmare, not night mirror. A nightmare is a dream that scares you. Sometimes nightmares can feel real, but they're just part of your own imagination.
Speaker 2: But why while I imagine something so scary?
Speaker 3: Billy says, dreams are mysterious. And that's true. There is a lot we don't know about dreams, but we do know a few things.
Speaker 4: Like what oh oh, maybe learning about dreams will help Elliet.
Speaker 3: Good idea, Lisa, would you like to learn a little more about dreams?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay. The first thing you should know is that everybody dreams. Even animals. Yes, many animals like cats and dogs, dream too, But the kinds of dreams we have can be very different.
Speaker 4: Oh, last night, I dreamed about a hot air balloon that was floating in space, and I think it was raining pickles. For some reason, I think I had a dream.
Speaker 3: But I can't remember. Billy says he dreamed about a new bird bath with a twisting water slide that squirts purple climb out asides and lands in root beer, and he drew a picture of.
Speaker 1: The Picturesoo, that's no cool, Billy.
Speaker 2: You dreamed that out.
Speaker 3: Another thing to know about dreams is that they can help us be more creative. Scientists think that this is because when we dream, we flip things together in a new way that gives us new ideas, like a mag up. Exactly, Lisa. It's like a mash up collage of thoughts and memories. Ooohoo, I love collages.
Speaker 1: I cut out different pictures from magazines, Ben, I lay them together on a big piece of vapor.
Speaker 3: That's a lot like what your brain does when you dream, Cowie, except instead of cutting out pictures from a magazine, you are putting together different thoughts and memories.
Speaker 2: Oh, but why don't I remember my dream?
Speaker 3: Well? Cowie Scientists think that most dreams happen during deep.
Speaker 1: Deep sleep.
Speaker 3: If you wake up pretty soon after your dream, you are more likely to remember it. Oh, Billy says, there is a lot to learn about dreams, but.
Speaker 2: I still haven't learned why I'm dreaming about a scary hairy dog.
Speaker 3: Well, Elliott. Scientists also think we have a lot of feelings in our dreams. Dreams can be happy or sad, or even scary. Dreams might actually help us work through feelings we have inside.
Speaker 4: Can you control your dreams?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Like, what if Elliott doesn't want to dream about a big, blue, hairy dog.
Speaker 3: Well, you can't always control your dreams, but there are some tricks you can try, Like what you can think of your dream as a story, and you are the author oo, I love stories. As the author, you decide what you want to change about your dream before you go to sleep. I don't get it. Maybe the Lingo kids listeners can help. Every night Elliott runs and runs from a big scary dog. What could he try doing instead? Jim in the.
Speaker 2: Carpentry, Thanks, I think I have an idea, and I.
Speaker 3: Think it's bedtime. My night, Elliott, Good morning Elliott, How did you sleep great? What about that dog? Oh Bernice whore friends? Now, Billy would like to know why the dog, I mean, Bernice was chasing you. That's exactly what I decided to ask her.
Speaker 2: And she just wanted to play ball with me. My dream is not scary anymore.
Speaker 3: It's fun now.
Speaker 1: Dreams are amazing.
Speaker 3: Well, Lingo kids listeners, Today we learned that everybody dreams. We also learned that scientists think that dreams can help us be creative and work through feelings. What will you dream up next? Join us next episode to continue play learning together