Speaker 1: Ruby.
Speaker 2: She was not in her seatbelt, literally like contorting, and she just clearly you could not get comfortable. The pain was so severe, and I remember her thanking me for taking care of her, as if she thought she was gonna die.
Speaker 3: You know, at that age specifically, you see doctors as like literally your heroes. They're supposed to know everything, and so when people were like, oh, I don't know, that was like, Oh, what do you mean you don't know?
Speaker 4: I am ashamed that I did contribute to some of that skepticism when I first met them.
Speaker 5: I didn't fully understand at that point in my.
Speaker 4: Career how complex a brain and body can be.
Speaker 3: I promise you, like on everything I love, this is real.
Speaker 1: How terrifying would it be to fight an unknown enemy, one you didn't recognize and didn't see coming. What if that enemy was coming from within a disease that even doctors couldn't identify. Nearly half of Americans suffer from some chronic illness, and many struggle for an accurate diagnosis. These are their stories. I'm Lauren Bray Pacheco, and this is symptomatic. Sarah Marshall is without a doubt on the list for Mother of the year. Having come from a background in social work, she has taught her children the value of community and the importance of advocacy. She's smart, intuitive, and fierce in her defense of what's right. She is a mother to four daughters that span eight years.
Speaker 2: My girls are incredibly close. Growing up, they didn't fight all that much, but when they did, I would basically tell them that person is your sister and she will be your sister the rest of your life, and you can't treat her like that. I only remember saying that maybe once or twice, but they still talk about that message. It's really a special bond that they all have.
Speaker 1: The youngest of Sarah's daughters is Phoebe.
Speaker 3: My name is Phoebe Marshall and I'm seventeen years old.
Speaker 1: How do you spend your time when you're not in school?
Speaker 3: I work at an after school childcare program that takes up a lot of my time.
Speaker 1: I really like working.
Speaker 3: I'm a pretty average Shange girl. I hang up with my friends, go on food trips, homework, all the regular things.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure that being the baby of the bunch, Phoebe grew up with four mothers in the house indeed very much Influenced by the inspirational work that her mother does, Phoebe has already made the decision to follow in her footsteps professionally.
Speaker 3: I am going to study social work. I want to first be in the child welfare system with CPS, and then once I get married and have kids and need a more slow moving job, I'm going to be a school social worker.
Speaker 1: From an early age, Sarah noticed that Phoebe seemed to be getting sick, more freequent than the other girls had. This wasn't your first time in the rodeo. You had three children already. Was there a moment that you remember thinking something here is different.
Speaker 2: I remember the first time that Phoebe got sick. She was six months old and she had pneumonia. Have photos because it was Christmas, and I remember my family members saying.
Speaker 5: She looks really sick, Sarah.
Speaker 2: As it turned out, it was kind of the first in a series of her getting sick or having there be an issue, getting better and thinking, Okay, that was just a fluke, that's not going to happen again.
Speaker 1: As Phoebe grew, signs that something was wrong continued to pop up.
Speaker 2: The Next time she was really sick, she was about two and a half and she just was not getting better. I'd brought her in several times. They gave her an antibatic and maybe she was a little better, but not great. And then they did a steroid run and that still didn't get things better, and so I ended up bringing her into the er because she was having trouble breathing one night and they admitted her, which I was I remember being surprised about. They wanted to do a CT of her sinuses and I just thought that's ridiculous. She didn't really have a runny nose. It seemed more like a cough that was bothering her. And as it turned out, the doctor the eant that read the report from the radiologist, he said, this is the worst sinus infection he's ever seen in a two year old. She was put on an antibiotic that I later learned two year olds are not put on, but she was on it for eight weeks.
Speaker 1: Sarah brought Phoebe home, hoping this antibiotic would fix things. But after eight weeks on potent antibiotics, new symptoms manifest. Phoebe begins to show signs of gas, true intestinal issues so severe that Sarah rushes her back to the hospital.
Speaker 5: They ended up admitting her.
Speaker 2: And what I realized in that hospitalization is that they didn't actually believe me. They were basically testing to see if I was lying, if I was making it up, if I was exaggerating.
Speaker 1: What did they think that it was Munchausen by proxy. Munchausen by proxy is a mental health condition in which a caregiver fabricates or induces illness in their dependent to gain attention or sympathy. The condition can also be known as factitious disorder imposed on another or FDIA. They never said that.
Speaker 2: I assume that's what they thought, because this doctor I remember him coming in and him just being he was just very doubtful of what I was saying. And then they confirmed, like, oh, yeah, she does have some of the gastritis from the antabatic and so they discontinued it. And I said, well, what are we going to do? What's the other option? And they didn't actually put her on anything more. And I said, but we were just here at the same hospital and they said, this is the worst infection they've ever seen, and we're just she's going off of it. They basically said, yes, they did not send her home with any antabatic.
Speaker 1: So how were the doctors explaining these early health struggles.
Speaker 5: They really weren't.
Speaker 2: We went and saw one of the doctors in this practice that I had seen, you know, years prior, and she was an immunologist and she did some pretty extensive immune system testing and she basically came to the conclusion that Phoebe's immune system was dysregulated.
Speaker 5: It was kind of.
Speaker 2: Hyperreactive, and she had some low immuno globulins, but nothing that fitted diagnosis that she could have regular treatment for. And so they put her on kind of a prophylactic antabatic that kept her from getting infections. She didn't really have a real specific diagnosis other than frequent infections, and she really, for the most part, infection wise, was pretty good.
Speaker 1: By around four years old, Phoebe began to recognize herself that something was definitely not quite right. When is the first time that you remember your earliest memories of dealing with health issues.
Speaker 3: My first memory of pain was my ankle pain. That was horrible. No one could tell me why that was happening, and it disrupted my sleep a lot.
Speaker 1: That was really bad.
Speaker 2: The ankle pain actually started around the time of her sinus infection, and that ankle pain was persistent really for years.
Speaker 1: What kind of pain are we talking about? Was it just a soreness, an ache.
Speaker 3: Just kind of like a dull pain, That's the best way I can explain it. And it got worse with like something over it. I could walk perfectly fine. It wasn't a problem with the bone.
Speaker 1: How did that impact you in terms of school and sports and things like that.
Speaker 3: Honestly, like I just kind of powered through as much as I could. No one could do anything. No medication helped. I mean, my pain talent was pretty high by the end of it, so it only really really disrupted my sleep.
Speaker 1: I remember that, barely five years old, Phoebe was already learning to live with chronic pain and discomfort. Next, her vision starts to fail.
Speaker 3: That was hard as a kindergartener with like an eye patch walking around.
Speaker 2: She was complaining of black spots in her field of vision, and I myself, like, sometimes see black spots if you stand up too fast, or you know, blood pressure kind of changes. But then the doctor looked in her eyes. He goes, you know, I think I see something, and I'm going to send you to a retinal specialist tomorrow, and then she was diagnosed with retinal vasculitis, where fluid was leaking out of the vessels in the back of her eye. They didn't know why it was happening.
Speaker 3: You know, at that age specifically, you see doctors as like literally your heroes. They're supposed to know everything. They are the smartest of the smartest. So when people were like, oh, I don't know, I was like, what do you mean you don't know? I became a parent very young that I was not a cookie cutter.
Speaker 1: Case in and out of doctor's offices, Juggling a growing list of strange and seemingly disconnected symptoms, Sarah was increasingly on edge, waiting for the next shoe to drop. She remembers the day it hit the floor vividly.
Speaker 2: It was a Saturday, it was in the fall, and it was a beautiful day. She had been playing outside with the neighbor kids. And I remember thinking that day that this was the first normal day she had had in a while. She really seemed to feel good, and I just remember relishing like what a good day it was. And then that night she said that her tummy hurt, and you know, six year old tummy, all the kind of normal mom things that you'd say, have you gone to the bathroom? Do you want me to rub your tummy? What a heating pad?
Speaker 1: Help?
Speaker 2: And very quickly her pain really ramped up. Within an hour, she was laying on my floor just screaming and crying. And in my mind, I'm like, we just got back from the hospital. We can't go back. But because I couldn't think of anything else to do, we went to the hospital. I drove her in the car and she was not in her seatbelt, literally like contorting and writhing and she just clearly you could not get comfortable.
Speaker 3: I was in so much pain, and I remember saying, I feel like I'm going to die.
Speaker 2: She thought she was going to die. She said, thank you, mom for taking care of me.
Speaker 3: And like, no six year old knows that vocap like I work with kids, No kid knows the concept of dying is not in there like Pisa, and it wasn't in mind.
Speaker 1: I remember my mom.
Speaker 3: She would like, keep stopping at red lights. I'm like, I don't know why we're stopping at red lights.
Speaker 2: I just tried to stay calm and I said, I'm going as fast as I can we'll get there soon. We walked in and she was screaming.
Speaker 3: I just kept screaming as a lot as I was in the car.
Speaker 2: I don't even know that they asked us our name, and we just went back and they immediately gave her fentanyl and then they gave her delauded and then try to figure out what was wrong.
Speaker 1: I know, as a mother, there is this exquisite hell of acting like everything's okay when you're afraid that it's not.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, all the time, all the time, and you know, trying not to cry and lose it myself as my six year old is crying and screaming, trying to reassure her that she was going to be okay, when I had no idea if really she was going to be okay.
Speaker 1: And once you get in to see doctors, they run another set of tests. What did those tests show?
Speaker 4: Her?
Speaker 2: Liver enzymes were sky high, a normal range of somewhere around let's say thirty or forty. Hers were in the thousands. And they started asking me, has she had access to tailan all? Did she overdose and tilan all?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And so then I'm racking my brain. Did she I don't think she swallowed Thailand all.
Speaker 1: Did you get any conclusive answers that day?
Speaker 2: No, they did admit her because her liver enzymes were so high and her pain was so high. She stayed in the hospital maybe three days, and it resolved on its own. It left nearly as quickly as it came on, and people just kind of shrug like, we don't know what that was.
Speaker 1: Phoebe and Sarah lead the hospital after what feels like a near death experience with no clear direction or understand of what has happened. Again, a few months past and Phoebe, now seven years old, starts to indicate to Sarah that her stomach was hurting.
Speaker 2: It was unremitting, but it wasn't so severe that she was, you know, screaming, but she complained.
Speaker 1: About it daily.
Speaker 2: They did blood tests, they did an ultrasound CT scan, MRI hid to scand look at the gallbladder and everything was negative. But she really had this unremitting pain for it was about eight weeks and finally it was recommended to consult with a surgeon because they said, well, it could be this atypical appendicitis where laps come back normal. But once you go in there they see kind of an inflamed appendix.
Speaker 1: What did they find?
Speaker 2: They found that her appendix look great. They still took it out, but they found adhesions, so scar tissue that it was actually pretty extensive on the right side of her abdominal cavity, but in particular scar tissue that was connecting her secum, which is I believe a part of the large intestine to another part of the large intestine, and so it was pulling and her surgeon, I remember, he came out kind of looking perplexed. He's like, well, this is what I saw and weced them, meaning that they released that scar tissue, and he's like, I don't know why they were there. He said, it looks kind of inflammatory to me, but there's no reason that those should be happening, and we'll just see how she feels after. And she woke up and she had no more abdominal pain. It essentially cured. It cured her pain.
Speaker 1: But this cure did not last for long. Six months later, phoebe presented with the same pain again and doctors recommended another adhesion surgery. What were you thinking when the conversation about another operation came up?
Speaker 2: You know, I really hesitated do we go in again? Is this could this be again this issue? Because there was no test for these the scar tissue, you can't see it on any scan. And I'm like, what if her pain is there and there's nothing to see.
Speaker 1: So she goes back into surgery. What happened next?
Speaker 2: He came out and he said, well, they're there again, and they're in the exact same place where they had been six months earlier.
Speaker 3: That's based scar routine every seven months. I knew the pain every time. Like once I started feeling it, I was like Mom called the surgeon that like ruins my life and I remember thinking like, no one will ever understand.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with Symptomatic a Medical Mystery Podcast. Now back to Symptomatic a Medical Mystery Podcast. Since she was a baby, Phoebe Marshall has been living with an expanding list of health issues. Infections that escalate to the point of hospitalization, inflammation, joint pain, even vision loss. Her mother, Sarah, has done the best she can while facing constant dismissal from the medical community. Now, a recurring surgery to remove adhesions in her abdomen, required twice a year, would become Phoebe's life.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was hard to get surgery every seven to eight months. I was carrying around medication in a back at a pit line. I'd always had stuff hanging for me. There's always a reminder.
Speaker 1: So what started as exploratory surgery became maintenance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maintenance for a condition that's not life threatening. She didn't really have a real specific diagnosis, so honestly, no one was particularly concerned about it because it doesn't threaten her life. Really, I was the only person that was interested in finding a way to never make them happen again.
Speaker 1: As a mom, how do you balance prioritizing finding answers and dealing with these symptoms as they keep calming with out letting it take over Phoebe's identity.
Speaker 2: I don't think I let on to many people how much I thought about what happens, when the next thing happens, what will the next thing be? And so I did a lot of nighttime scrolling of the Internet looking for symptoms, matching them to diagnoses, looking for people, for researchers, for doctors across the United States that might have answers that experts where we live didn't have. But I also think getting her involved in therapy early on was helpful.
Speaker 4: My name is doctor Jade Rafferty. I am a pediatric psychologist. The pediatric part means that I specialize in kids with medical conditions.
Speaker 1: Doctor Jade Rafferty is Phoebe's psychologist. Tell me a little bit about your first memory of meeting Phoebe.
Speaker 5: So I met her when I was working in pain clinic.
Speaker 4: She was eight, so I've known her for a long time, but I don't remember her as much as I remember Sarah.
Speaker 5: She kept sending.
Speaker 4: Messages and she kept attaching these articles that I got.
Speaker 5: To be honest, I had no idea what they meant.
Speaker 4: They were such complex scientific articles that I was like, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: Know what this means.
Speaker 4: And unfortunately, and I think it is important to share this, Like I am ashamed that I did contribute to some of that skepticism or had that skepticism when I first met them, you know, like what is really going on here? I didn't fully understand at that point in my career how complex a brain and body can be. And Phoebe at that time was a closed book. You could not get her to say a whole lot of anything.
Speaker 5: So I did.
Speaker 4: Spend a lot of time sitting there trying to ask her questions.
Speaker 1: Sarah remembers this too.
Speaker 2: She kind of saw Jade as this nosy person that was asking her all these personal questions, and I'm like, well, you know, you can tell her whatever you want to tell her, like that's what she's there for. And there was this light that went I'm like, oh, I didn't know I could like talk to her about things.
Speaker 1: What has been the most difficult part for you of growing up with these ever changing, evolving symptoms. I think a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Already struggle with trusting other people, but my medical stuff goes outside of the doctor. I have a really hard time trusting other people, like my friends. I don't open up to my friends a lot.
Speaker 1: They know I have.
Speaker 3: Medical stuff, they know I struggle, but I've been taught over and over that no one wants to hear it. I think also, my story is so complex, it's really hard. Even to this day, it's really hard to explain to my friends. I remember one time I was in the hospital. It was just after one of my surgeries. I get really weak after my surgeries, and I remember my neuralogist ended up coming in to do I'm gonna get it wrong and EMG something where like you poke the muscles and you see how tired they get. But he was like, let's just do one now after surgery to see and the EMG.
Speaker 2: Came back normal.
Speaker 3: There was nothing really shown there, and I don't think he was like, oh, that means they're faking it, but like the look of confusion on his face, like I wanted so badly just to tell them, like I promise you on everything I love, this is real.
Speaker 1: I know. Phoebe spoken about how she felt dismissed.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, we all did we all?
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 2: It was very, very difficult, And I think I saw the doubt from doctors and like what I intuited was that they felt like this family needs help and they need some mental health support.
Speaker 1: Though Phoebe's physical symptoms went far beyond the boundaries of mental health and should not have been minimized, doctor Jade recognizes the emotional impact of what their family was going through.
Speaker 5: Well, it impacts the entire family system.
Speaker 4: We're not taught how to be parents, let alone parents of children with chronic illness.
Speaker 5: How do we help kids.
Speaker 4: Be independent even if we're having to give them IVS right, or how do we help kids go back to school even if they're a new system is compromised. For me, I see it all as health and I wish and dream that all kids could get mental health care. But then when you add on all of the levels of chronic illness, it impacts and changes how children and their families develop, and that I think is really a key component of some of the work that I do.
Speaker 1: Now ten years old, Phoebe has undergone an adhesion surgery every six to eight months for the last four years. These surgeries are invasive, painful, and leave her with extended post operative weakness, unable to roll over or even hold up her head. Phoebe missed months of school every year as a result. Sarah was unable to accept this as her daughter's continued fate.
Speaker 2: I was probably the only person whose quest it was to find a way to not do these surgeries anymore, because it did impact her quality of life. Who wants to go into surgery once or twice a year and then be in the hospital for a week. I didn't want that for her for so many reasons. She was still having symptoms that weren't in just one organ system. They were across multiple organ systems, and so many of her individual diagnoses were rare in and of themselves, And it's like, how can one person have so many things that are otherwise rare in one short life experience? I was desperate for answers.
Speaker 1: In twenty seventeen, after years of pounding the pavement in search of answers to their many questions, Sarah came across the Undiagnosed Diseases Network.
Speaker 2: I found another parent who lived in Wisconsin at the time, and she and her children had just been seen at the UDN. And when she told me about the ud AND I had never heard of it before, and I thought, we have to go. This is where we'll find answers.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me about your first experience with them?
Speaker 2: So I called the number on their website and a man named Paul answered the phone, and he was wonderful. I spoke to him for about an hour. He listened to my story, he answered my questions, and really it was maybe the first time in talking to a complete stranger that was curious and interested and validated that we weren't crazy, that there was hope. He described this program that offered both the clinical and the research component. You know, I had my heart set on making sure that we made it into the study.
Speaker 1: And because of Sarah's diligent advocacy, they did. Phoebe and her family then traveled to the nearest Utian research site in Boston. What do you remember about your trip to Boston.
Speaker 3: I didn't really understand much about it.
Speaker 1: There was a pool at the hotel. I was excited for that, but.
Speaker 3: I remember it was a lot of appointments they had to crampack all these specialists into one week. I fell asleep at probably more than half of them. And it's a new person examining me, looking at my ears, touching my joints like so, that's a lot for an eight year old. I remember, God, bless my mom. I would get so irritated with her at appointments because I just wanted to go home.
Speaker 1: I was so tired.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was hard.
Speaker 2: We went to Boston Children's they did their clinical evaluation. They took our blood as family and said, you know, we're going to send this off and sequence her exom to see if we can find any genetic possibilities for what's causing all of these symptoms of hers. And then we waited a long time.
Speaker 1: Months went by after their trip to Boston as the Union continued their research. While they waited for results, Phoebe was hit with new persistent back pain.
Speaker 2: We saw an orthopedic spine surgeon and they said, oh, well, she has this thing called Bertolotti syndrome and it's extra bone in your lower spine. And the recommendation that came back was spinal fusion. I was like, that seems kind of extreme, but we tried physical therapy and it didn't really do anything, and so then finally she had spinal fusion.
Speaker 1: After this surgery, Phoebe is hit with a horrible postop infection. She's forced to go under five more times in order for doctors to open her up and clean out her wound. When she finally recovers, the pain in her spine is gone, but Sarah is even more desperate for the results from the Udian study. Finally, after an agonizing weight the Udion shares the results of their initial tests, but the results are not immediately what Sarah has hoped for.
Speaker 2: So they did xome that came back nothing, but they couldn't tell me, and so I was frustrated, What do you mean you can't tell me.
Speaker 1: An exome study analyzes the protein coding parts of your DNA. Because the results of the exome study were inconclusive, the UDN decides to run a genome study, which examines the entire DNA sequence. Again, the family waits while they evaluate this more in depth sequencing. But finally, months after they begin this testing, and years after Sarah first noticed something was wrong with Phoebe's health, the team at UDN tells Sarah that there is a mutation GDF eleven.
Speaker 2: It's a loss of function of GDF eleven.
Speaker 1: The first time you remember seeing in print an actual name, an explanation in terms of GDF eleven. What did that mean to you?
Speaker 2: For people that live undiagnosed, it's it's the dream come true. It's like, oh, this is the name, this is the diagnosis. It's hard to put into words, just how how thrilling it is, you know, to finally have a name. You knew there was something for years and years and years, for over a decade, you knew even when there were so many people, doctors, family members, friends, who doubted that really that there was something wrong.
Speaker 3: I was thirteen at the time. Honestly, I don't think I understood the gravity of it. I wouldn't be where I am without the Union and the GDF eleven diagnosis.
Speaker 1: But GDF eleven was a newly identified gene, which means that there was little understanding of how to proceed.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the feeling was what next. This is a newly identified gene, it's a newly identified disease. More or less no one knew anything about its treatments for it, and so it's this new journey now of what do you do with it? How do you understand these changes, and how do you improve the quality of life.
Speaker 1: This was the next step in the Union led research journey. Enter doctor Hugo Bellin at the Model Organism Screening Center at Baylor College of Medicine.
Speaker 6: My name is Hugo Bellin, and I'm a doctor in veterinary medicine and a PhD in genetics.
Speaker 1: Doctor Bellin runs the Belen Lab at Baylor and can be credited with discovering over sixty novel diseases within the genetic research field. Doctor Bellin has been admirably dubbed the Lord of the Flies.
Speaker 6: I started working with fruit flies because fruit flies were a superb genetics system probably the best and still the best system in the sense that you can manipulate flies genetically very elegantly. And that drew me to the field, and I've stayed in the field forever.
Speaker 1: And how is your work connected to the undiagnosed diseases network?
Speaker 6: It turns out that about eighty percent of the rare disease patients have genetic lesions. The problem is very often that they find potential genes, but they've never been associated with a human disease. They don't know if the gene could be responsible because the gene is not recorded as causing a human disease. So how do you solve that question? In this case for GDF eleven, there are six patients and we tested these six different variants in fruit flies.
Speaker 1: What were the GDF eleven research findings.
Speaker 6: The GDF eleven gene is expressed mostly in muscles as well as in specific cells in the brain, clear cells, as well as in many other organs. And what it is is kind of like a hormone. It's a protein that's made by cells that's secrete it and it's processed and secreted in the blood and can circulate in fluids, not necessarily just the blur.
Speaker 1: And how does that manifest in the body.
Speaker 6: For GDF eleven, morphological deformities are one of the key features in patients. They have bone deformities, and they have phase problems, and their face is not properly developed sometimes at extra rip. Those are morphological changes in structure. We know that the gene can also cause problems with adherence tissue adherents in the bone and apparently in the gut. And so because it's such a broad pathway, you know, you can secrete this protein from many sources and it can bind to lig in to the receptors many different cells and control the activity and the function of these cells.
Speaker 1: The MOSC study, including doctor Bellin's research, comes out in twenty twenty one, and Sarah pours over the research findings desperately trying to understand if there is any way she can do something with them to help find Phoebe some relief. She contacts Udienne and requests that they organize a meeting with doctor Bellin. Do you have any memory of that meeting or your first impressions of Sarah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Sarah has been incredibly active and in a way proactive. She's been really an advocate for the Undiagnosed Diseases Network because of her experience trying to kind of figure out how she can help her daughter.
Speaker 1: Though there was no treatment established for Phoebe's condition at this time, Sarah was not willing to accept that as the final ruling. With the MOSC study in d hand, she charged forward.
Speaker 2: So I listened to a speaker. His name is Matt Might out of University of Alabama Precision Medicine, and he talked about how understanding gene changes can help medicine understand pathways in people's bodies that might be causing issues. So he talked about a specific example of a kid with epilepsy, and they understood her gene change and came to some ideas for treatments that were not FDA proof for epilepsy, but that they thought might kind of aid that genetic change in that pathway. So I approached him and his staff and told him about Phoebe's gene change at GDF eleven, and they took a look at it and they said, you know, we think that this particular gene influences an inflammatory pathway and that because of her loss of function, that she may have more inflamma in her body than what she should. So we think this drug called humor, which dampens inflammation, might help with these adhesions.
Speaker 1: A drug that already exists commonly used to target overactive inflammation and patients who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, may work to address some of the symptoms related to Phoebe's rare and newly identified condition.
Speaker 6: And by networking and trying to connect with other teams and by being part of a Terrapautics matching committee, she's kind of discovered that there is a drug that helps foe behind. That is this drug that kind of is involved in the immune system, and she was true connections. She's the one who discovered these true connections.
Speaker 1: So how has Phoebe's life changed since she made that connection.
Speaker 2: She has not had one surgery for her adhesions, so in four years, over four years, that's incredible, It is incredible.
Speaker 1: But you also have discovered a treatment because you were so desperate to find relief for your daughter, and doctor Mom figured that out.
Speaker 2: Doctor Mom pushed for at least trying something. I think it's really improved her quality of life. This is her fourth year of high school since she's been in high school. She hasn't really been in the hospital. She just wants to be normal and look normal and be a part of the crowd with the kids, and so it's allowed her to do that.
Speaker 3: My mom is probably the most impressive woman I've ever met. And I'm not just saying that because she's my mom, Like genuinely, if she wants something, especially for her kids, she'll get it. I am so lucky to have a mom literally rides it down for me.
Speaker 5: She will do anything for me.
Speaker 1: Because of Sarah's tireless advocacy, Phoebe has a bright future ahead of her while she prepares to have off to college. Sarah, motivated by her own journey, continues to fight for others living with undiagnosed diseases. So tell me a little bit about your work that you do with UDN.
Speaker 2: Now, I became a part of this peer patient engagement and empowerment resource, our group, this patient group became very involved in the sustainability and interested in the sustainability of the UDN.
Speaker 5: As a resource.
Speaker 2: So our group, I won't say single handedly, but we had a large voice in a couple of different things. One is connecting with legislators across the country to educate them about the UDN and the importance of the UDN, and also in establishing a nonprofit called the Undiagnosed Diseases Network Foundation that is a foundation that was created by patients for patients to support patients and families and also support the quest of finding answers for all undiagnosed patients.
Speaker 3: I hear her on phone calls with patients and like it's not a job to her, she really cares about these people. She cares about the stories. She wants them to feel seen because she knows what it feels like to not be seen. And it's important because so many people are undiagnosed. But everyone, kids especially deserve to have the chance out a good quality of life. And the UDN and then UTI and F offers people a chance I think at life and to see themselves thrive.
Speaker 1: A gift that Phoebe herself does not take for granted. What are you most excited for and hopeful about?
Speaker 3: Truly becoming the person I needed when I was a kid and I had so many people. I think being a social worker is kind of my way of giving back to people who believed to me. Why I couldn't believe in myself, you know, I think that's I'm excited for that.
Speaker 2: In the United States, there are thirty million Americans with a rare disease, and it takes on average seven years to get to a diagnosis, and the cost to individuals, to families, to society is more than it needs to be. And resources like the UDON can shorten that time to a diagnosis that allows people to live their best lives. And that's what we all want. Not only do we want that as mothers and fathers and neighbors and friends, but.
Speaker 1: We want that as a society.
Speaker 2: We want everyone in society to be able to attend school, to be able to attend work, and feel and be productive. And that's why a resource like the UDON is essential.
Speaker 1: What is the message you want people to take away from your story.
Speaker 3: I've always told myself my thoughts are powerful. I think it's important in the chronic illness world and in just like regular life, that you determine the outcome. If you get up every day, as hard as it is, and continue the fight, surround yourself with people who love you and that you love, there is hope for a better life. My name is Phoebe Marshall, and it took ten years of searching for answers until I got a diagnosis of a loss of function in GDF eleven.
Speaker 1: The Undiagnosed Diseases Network Foundation can be found at UDNF dot org. As we wrap up another season of Symptomatic, we want to say thank you to all of our dedicated listeners. This season brought us stories that remind us of the power of resilience and the impact of advocacy and the rare disease community. We heard from a father who devoted his life to find out being a cure for his daughter's condition, from three generations of one family who finally found relief after decades of searching, and from so many others who have transformed their pain into purpose. We can't wait to share more with you next season. As always, we would love to hear from you. Send us your thoughts on this episode or share a medical mystery of your own at Symptomatic at iHeartMedia dot com, and please rate and review Symptomatic wherever you get your podcasts. We'll see you next time, and until then, be well. Symptomatic a medical mystery podcast, is a production of iHeartMedia's Ruby Studio. Our show is hosted by me Lauren Bright Pacheco. Our executive producers are James Foster, Matt Ramano, and myself. Our supervising producers are Ryan Ovadia, Haley Aliah Ericson, and Daniel Ainsworth. This episode was written by Haley Aliah eric Sen and edited by Samuel Richardson.