Speaker 1: What if I told you the secret to financial freedom is a trade.
Speaker 2: That's actually really really You're onto something here, you know.
Speaker 3: It makes me think of my good old makeup days. I've since retired the brushes, but baby, they took me a long way.
Speaker 4: Dead Ass.
Speaker 5: Wow, it all started with real talk, unfiltered, honest and straight from the heart. Since then, we've gone on to become Webby award winning podcasters in New York Times bestselling authors.
Speaker 2: Dead Ass was more than a podcast for us. It was about our growth, a place where we could be vulnerable.
Speaker 6: Be wraw orse, but most apportly be us.
Speaker 3: But as we know, life keeps evolving, and so do we, and through it all, one thing has never changed. This is ever after, because we got a lot to talk about story time.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna take y'all back to June two thousand and two. I believe it's June two thousand and two.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh that's way back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is just way back. This was before you and I even.
Speaker 3: Time every episode I felt, so this is June two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: I was going back and forth to Hofstra for I was trying to earn a scholarship.
Speaker 4: I was partial scholarship.
Speaker 1: I was a senior in high school, going back and forth for spring ball, and it was the end of spring ball, and it was finally they called my dad and was just like, YO, got some good news for you. I was like, what's up. He's like, Yo, your son just earned a full scholarship. The hostra before I got there. So I'm excited. It's like good day, Like everything's happening. My dad comes home and comes home from work and I'm just like, what's up with you? You look kind of out of it. He's like I just got laid off. Was like, what from Chase Bank.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: At the time, I was a senior in high school. My brother was a sophomore in high school. My sister was going to Bishop carniy High School, and I'm thinking about Dane, at least you.
Speaker 4: Don't got to pay for my scholarship.
Speaker 1: But I'm like, my brother's going to be going to school, and my sister is in high school and she has a tuition, So I'm thinking about all of the things that my father has to pay for. And I remember he looked at me and he was just like, I ain't worry though, God will provide, And I remember looking at him like, I don't think it worked like that, Like at some point you got to do something like this is what I'm thinking. Then I watched my father for the next two weeks. He was studying, and I'm like, yo, what are you studying for? He was like, you know, for medical sales and insurance, they use coding the same coding he has, in order to put those into their system. So he was studying how to do that so that he could, you know, do medical sales or help with insurance. And I was just like for he was like, yeah, this is why I got my associates degree. It's like, you know, doing mainframeing is like a trade. They're always going to need somebody like me, so I always have a job. And he was literally hired two weeks later to do main framing for another company called sun God, And at that moment, it was just kind of like, Yo, my dad only has an associate's degree, never been to a four year school, and it's always made over what made six figures because he had a trade that was necessity. And I was like he was always on.
Speaker 2: The sounds like it. He'd be like, you know, you know.
Speaker 1: Bro, my father got laid off twice from Chase Manhattan Bank once and then afterwards from sun God.
Speaker 6: Both times he just walked out jolly.
Speaker 2: Here, like I didn't want to go anyway the house.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I was in college and I'd be like, oh, school, and he'd be like, yeah, what's up?
Speaker 6: And I'm like, why are you whispering?
Speaker 4: Like I'm at work.
Speaker 6: I'm like, why are you whispering at work? And I'm at the movies?
Speaker 3: What do you want in the middle of the day.
Speaker 2: Work from home was a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, literally, And he always made really good money. And then here's the funny thing about having the trade. When you get hired as a consultant for that trade, you get played. You get paid two point five x.
Speaker 4: Absolutely so, because he was.
Speaker 1: A main frame consultant and they were hiring all of these people to come from different parts of the world to take over his job, they spent two years of having him train them on how to do his job, and he got more.
Speaker 6: Money training them than he did work in the job.
Speaker 1: And at that point, that's when I was like, I got to get to that level of trade where you're an expert and you can two point five extract.
Speaker 2: There you go, all right, that was not all right.
Speaker 7: You took it?
Speaker 4: Did go ahead?
Speaker 3: You have it scar time. And I saw you over here practicing and rehearsing. I got a whole situation going on out here.
Speaker 1: I wasn't practicing and rehearsing, but I wanted to get I wanted to get the lyrics right because the lyrics.
Speaker 3: Oh, well that's the first I mean tearing the lyrics up me too. You got bar trible. We got it wrong yesterday? What Oh yeah, wasn't Bill Withers. Oh it's Bobby called well by my bad Bobby that I guess you wonder where't that's crazy because you said Bill Withers in the moment and I was like, yeah, Bill Withers, and I'm like.
Speaker 7: I was thinking that too. I was feeling like, I think that's wrong.
Speaker 3: It wasn't until after midnight, I think last night did in the kitchen and I was like it.
Speaker 2: Was Bobby called Jackson.
Speaker 3: I was like, google us for me and I'm like, yeah, my bad, so my bad Bobby.
Speaker 4: It wasn't yesterday, it was last week.
Speaker 2: We didn't record all the week.
Speaker 7: When I'm editing it, I'm gonna just record myself saying Bobby called.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 4: I know what this was. This was Bobby. The videos gonna be completely different. Clothes be at home.
Speaker 2: No, we cut to Josh's face or Matt's face.
Speaker 7: My face saying Bill Withers. But then you'll hear me saying.
Speaker 2: It'll be like watching Netflix.
Speaker 1: Exactly, like watching it be like watching to be They don't be caring, bro, Baby.
Speaker 2: The audio won't be in sync with the lips.
Speaker 1: Nah, the people, the actors be completely different. The wigs be different. The gunshots, y know, they had one where the bullet went around the tree.
Speaker 4: Did y'all see that?
Speaker 8: Wanted?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it wasn't like it wasn't the great technology. You know, the ones that they throw the bullet and who comes around and you see the bullet in slow motion. And I've seen the club on social the dude shot straight and the person was behind the tree, and then you see the bullet come out in slow motion. Then you don't follow the bullet, but you see the person at the tree like and then you see a bullet just go through the front of their head.
Speaker 4: Like I love it. I don't know, man, I'm like, I'm just indifferent. I love the the fantasy of it all. It's not polished. It's like, have we watched Bollywood movies? Of course he's watching.
Speaker 2: Yeah those are my people.
Speaker 6: Yeah that's your family.
Speaker 4: But yeah they be having crazy like action scenes in the Bollywood movies. Man, they be like like going down the road and like a kid will be in a kid will be in the road here, like the guy would like jump off the bike and go around this way. The bike could go this way.
Speaker 8: Yes, but it's better.
Speaker 4: Yeah it might be. They said, Yeah, they've been doing it for like twenty thirty years. Man, we got some You got to catch your work.
Speaker 2: To do what you got for karaoke.
Speaker 1: So this is what I got for karaoke. All right, I'm going to say these words and to see who can remember the song once I say the tone, y'all.
Speaker 6: Going to know it. I ain't kept the real from the jump.
Speaker 4: Oh man, who's this Kendrick? Living at my mama's house with every month I was.
Speaker 6: Trying to get it on my own, working all night, truffing, going away home and my uncle calling me like.
Speaker 4: I gave you the king, so you bring it right back, nigger.
Speaker 1: Butther thing is looking up the lyrics and it's crazy, like you know, you're getting old that you got to look up to the lyrics because Drake has had so many songs since then. But that was one of my favorite songs.
Speaker 3: Started starting from the bottom, now we're here started.
Speaker 4: That was a that was a bop, that was what was that hard sixteen?
Speaker 8: Let's fact check.
Speaker 4: That's one of his most relatable songs.
Speaker 1: I think the twenty twelve, to be honest, I think I could be twenty.
Speaker 2: Thirteen years nothing. I do remember the song though, and I know who sang it this.
Speaker 7: Time, Drake.
Speaker 4: So let's take a quick break.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna do that.
Speaker 6: Come backus getting it out the mud.
Speaker 2: That's it. But before that, stick around for op or no op paddles.
Speaker 3: Ready, y'all, we're back with ov or no app, no APPV or no OD true.
Speaker 2: What do you have for us today?
Speaker 7: All right, Well, Josh had a really nice ME and Josh had a conversation about a video earlier this morning.
Speaker 2: I'm nervous.
Speaker 7: I know this one isn't as bad. Sometimes Josh can be profound, you know when he's on the podcast. Sometimes he just sounds like an idiot. But he's a smart guy.
Speaker 4: Is he awful?
Speaker 7: He uses his brain. So there's a woman who self published a book, and apparently she gave this book to her family two years ago and for her birthday, they always go to brunch at a restaurant, and she told them about some big news that she had to share. Can we watch the video?
Speaker 2: Would love to, you know, And.
Speaker 7: So I want you to stop right here, can pause it. You see this lady in the orange, I don't know what. She hasn't stopped eating the entire time.
Speaker 1: I noticed that she's watching something food, watching something.
Speaker 7: She's got her iPad up to.
Speaker 3: Wow, the restaurants have like the little menu as an iPad. M.
Speaker 7: There's another one.
Speaker 3: There's another one yet that's a restaurant.
Speaker 2: Yes, Or she's watching the commercials that they show.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they have games on those things.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I'm not going to help. I don't know.
Speaker 7: This young lady posted this video and the Internet was kind of in a tizzy about this lady who just doesn't seem to care at all. She's eating her brunch while everybody else is just waiting for the announcement to be over. So I'm I'm wondering, op er no op on this. The Internet congratulated this woman on her book and getting accepted into grad school, and you know they thought people should have paid more attention and gave her more props. She also said that she gave this book to her family two years ago, but she doesn't think anybody even read it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can tell you nobody.
Speaker 7: I want to know, what do you think about this scenario? Op or no app?
Speaker 6: So I got, I got, I got two ops.
Speaker 1: The first OP is congratulations on writing a book, so publishing and going to Scotland. The second OP is when we all go to brunch, that's not a time for you to occupy everybody be hungry.
Speaker 8: And that's what it looked like.
Speaker 4: It was good and I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: We can have this after I'm done eating, But make your speeches at the right time. And was here and it's hot, Like don't you trying to make no thirty minute speeches? She was talking wile long, like I'd have been too, I'd have been looking like, come on, son.
Speaker 2: She was trying to save rhythm moment.
Speaker 7: It's probably not even piping hot when it came out and.
Speaker 4: All the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you could have said that while we were waiting.
Speaker 1: You see what I'm saying, right, Maybe it's not a popular opinion, but that's how I like.
Speaker 2: So so my my op or question.
Speaker 3: Rather, I'm wondering, was she upset with the reaction she got from her family or was it the audience upset for her?
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying, I think the uset.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes me think about how many times something may happen to you and you can be perfectly fine with whatever that interaction was, but then people come behind you.
Speaker 2: You didn't see that, how'd you feel about that? But look at the way she said that, she didn't even look up from her meal, And.
Speaker 3: Then it becomes an issue that didn't have to be an issues because you didn't feel the way everybody else felt away, and now you feel like you're inclined to feel.
Speaker 4: A way exactly.
Speaker 7: That's most issues. Yeah, exactly, absolutely. I mean I deal with this all the time. I have a lot of friends, a lot of family, and one of my friends listens to this podcast on a regular basis, and it's.
Speaker 2: Just one getting friends, just one, right.
Speaker 7: But it's like my other friends don't listen to podcasts or it might not be interesting for them. I'm not offended by that. It's like, you know, they support me regardless in other ways. But if it's not interesting to them, they're not the audience for it. I'm not expecting them to listen to every single episode.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 7: So, and the friend who listens to it, it's like the person you at least expect. It's my white bestie who had but she has three kids and she's married and so the.
Speaker 6: Topics I expect that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it's very they're very interesting and relevant to her life, right, So you know, but I don't, you know, I don't get offended by that, and I don't think other people should. I actually hate the rhetoric when you're like if your friends don't support your business or your friends at all, Like does your business really apply to your friends?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Does something with your business for your audience?
Speaker 4: Right, my friends don't support me, My family don't support me, like or they're.
Speaker 3: Looking for a discount, you know, friends of family discount. But what if she's also the person who is always the overachiever in the family, So her making this announcement is like all right, girl, well you like congrat you know, because I used to, for example, come home and be like, hey, I had straight a's this year.
Speaker 2: He's just like, what's new? You can do it every time?
Speaker 3: And then in my mind, I'm like, no, this is an accomplishment because I was taking like this course and a people.
Speaker 6: All of the she came home with the B one time. I was hype because I got A in that class.
Speaker 2: Of course, So you communication, I got an A n B.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that was the one semester I had all straight a's and that was the one B I got.
Speaker 2: I said, just because I don't.
Speaker 4: Think she got to get Josh. Everybody ain't small all the time, the.
Speaker 3: Fact that some of us living in the class I was signing in and then he came at the very end.
Speaker 2: You know, mister charismatic, let me.
Speaker 4: Tell you ridiculous. This is the truth.
Speaker 1: We only had this class. This was Monday, Wednesday, Fridays and I had spring ball. So I only came on Fridays because I had spring ball.
Speaker 4: The other day.
Speaker 6: She was signed me in. Never spoke to Drunker.
Speaker 1: Last day of class, we had to do presentation group presentations, right, never been there.
Speaker 4: For the group.
Speaker 1: Show up there the groups like what's up? So we got a presentation that I said I got. Y'all went up there killed the presentation, just straight spitball everything, just winging at making people laugh, joke. As soon as I got done, I walked up to Drunker. I said, Drunker, I want to tell you that I appreciate your class and so so many things I learned this semester that I could carry with myself beyond speech communication, but more in the terms of life, Like I feel like I became a better person because of your class.
Speaker 6: I can't wait to take your next class.
Speaker 4: Got it?
Speaker 7: Oh my god, gotta be specious.
Speaker 3: Yes, No, Charisma showed up on that was like, that's how And I said, this man is going to do anything he wants to do. The way he went up there and finised not only her, but the group protest. I was like, did you even know the topic? And the topic was off the And.
Speaker 7: I guess that kind of goes plays into the topic for today, because I really do believe that personality can carry you very far. Absolutely absolutely, And I mean you gotta be smart obviously to spitball that type of thing. You gotta be smart, You gotta know something, but your personality is going to take you the rest of the way. But another thing that I saw on the internet, so you guys know, the TSA shut down is happening. The Republicans are not funding Homeland Security and TSA is under that, but they are funding ICE, So they've been sending ICE agents to airports in the country to assist TSA. In most cases, they're just standing behind TSA agents doing nothing, and the TSA agent is not getting paid, but ICE agents are. So it's kind of a slap in the face. But on the Internet, somebody took a picture at Hartsfield Jackson of a stud ts I mean a stud ICE sation and the discourse is that, like, you know, black women being ICE agents. Those are basically ops, you know, and somebody posts it so it's protect black women as long as they're not military police or ICE agents. So a lot of people are saying, uh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: But on that, Yo, it's hard.
Speaker 9: I gotta op man, because we're talking about come.
Speaker 4: On, if y'all stop talking, I might get my patient.
Speaker 2: I'm not the girl eating at the table, honey, I want to hear what you got to say.
Speaker 4: Now, I think, Yo, it's this economy is hard, Like a lot of people do things that they don't necessarily want to do so and that might be working for ICE. So why knock her for working for ice just to get a paycheck. She don't got to agree with the administration.
Speaker 8: She got to.
Speaker 1: Agree agreeing with that, I'm not agreeing with that because it's no different than when they say celebrities soul they sold for a dollar. You ultimately selling your soul and selling your people out to make money.
Speaker 6: It's the same thing. So if we as a community are going to.
Speaker 1: Say that celebrities quote unquote Selee soul for a dollar, you can't then say, oh, she's working doing something.
Speaker 4: You got to get paid. Do we say that or society says that? Because I'm thinking about society, I don't say celebrities sold their soul for a dollar.
Speaker 2: That narrative time.
Speaker 1: But Tripp was talking about the narrative and she said, is this where is this where we are as a society are with this?
Speaker 6: I'm saying the collective. Isn't that the question you asked?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think as a society, anybody who is on the side of fascism or who's on the side of oppressing people in any way, whether you're writing laws or you're part of law enforcement, I think everybody in the world is like fuck you.
Speaker 6: At this point, but that's what I think.
Speaker 4: All right, I can agree with that because I don't agree with fascism, But is it also staying quiet about it also aiding and aiding and not fighting It isn't that part of right? So like, if you're not putting a hard stand on where you stand publicly with your money, with h your approach to how you how you live on a daily basis, isn't it also signing with But.
Speaker 1: I think that's a false equivalency to someone signing up to actively take part in fashion. It's like when you're not saying nothing is different than signing up to lock people up.
Speaker 6: That's just two different things.
Speaker 7: And I don't think that collectively. I don't think that you know, black people are not saying or doing anything. I agree, So yeah, I think that is a false equivalency. And it's just like how much are you? Like, can you be bought? You know what I'm saying, how much is your dignity worth? How much is your I.
Speaker 4: Can see that I change my opinion.
Speaker 7: She got your number, Josh, No, it's on the record.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I can't change my mind, I can't switch my ballot.
Speaker 3: You can totally do that. I mean that's what we're here for. That's what you kind of want to talk and see a different opinions.
Speaker 6: And understand people's perspective. That's why it's no judgment.
Speaker 1: But to me, it would be similar to signing up for the Montgomery Police Department in nineteen sixty five when they were terrorizing black people. You just said me, I need a job, I'm gonna be a and now you out there with the baton beating on black people too, Like that's just not getting I can't say at that point, like, well, you didn't say nothing, so it's the same thing. Na, that's not the same thing. You actively signed up to terrorize people. Ice is not doing any good, right, They're not.
Speaker 4: I say this, I don't don't. I don't know the context. I haven't seen. I don't. Is it the girl she's standing up, it's just like a screenshot of her. I've seen that, and she looks like desolate, like she don't even want to be there. Is that picture?
Speaker 6: Most of them they don't want to be there. I don't, And that's my this is my thing.
Speaker 4: I don't see.
Speaker 1: I can't see anyone other than a proud boy who wants to just terrorize marginalize people, saying, yo, I can't wait to be an ICE agent.
Speaker 4: Most people who.
Speaker 1: Are doing it are doing it because they don't have any other options, or they don't think they have any other options, when the truth is, there are other options than being the ICE agent. You don't have to resort to that. But it's the easiest thing because they're making it easy because they want people to sign them so they can continue to terrorize marginalized people.
Speaker 6: I just can't rock with that.
Speaker 2: And then her standing off to the side. I think about even just people who we know that like are cops, and it's just like.
Speaker 3: Okay, you are not fighting anything, so how did you become a cop? Now I'm gonna get an easy easy What do you call it easy?
Speaker 4: Being an easy check?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying is I'm not fighting no crimes. I'm gonna just collect my check. I don't know if that's the approach. Maybe she's taking it. She's off to the side. She's like, let me sit here and the cut in my ICE uniform, knowing I really damn well don't want to be here, but I have a family to feed.
Speaker 6: That's what Josh is saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm saying I could I could see how that could be somebody's mentality, like I'm not gonna get in the mix too much, but I'm gonna just stand back here and collect this chain.
Speaker 1: The thing is, though, if you can, if you can go do construction at that point, if you if you want to go sign off to the side and do something, you can go sign up to do construction and make twenty five dollars an hour hard labor.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 6: You don't have to sign up, get a gun, and then labor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the unemployment rate is like hi, right now, there's a lot of just no opportunities for people.
Speaker 1: But what I'm saying is you avoiding hard labor to do something easy and terror wised black and brown folks is wrong that That to me is just wrong because you're avoiding what's difficult to do what's easy at the expense of other people. That to me is just I would never do that. The only way I'd be an ICE agent if I was in there telling on all the Ice agents, if I had a camera, I'm.
Speaker 4: What stuffs happening.
Speaker 1: I'm like, look look what they're doing. Look what they're doing. They're not gonna show you this. Everybody camera's off. I'm like, yeah, my camera's off. Look, that's the only way I could see myself being.
Speaker 7: There's a young comic, Lavelle Dante who he made a joke recently that was like, I would sign up for ICE and I would go to places and be like, y'all get the hell out of here.
Speaker 4: I mean, yo, right, that's the only way I can see myself being there.
Speaker 1: Probably, I'm sure there are some people who have signed up fires, and we probably can get in trouble for saying this out loud who probably planning, like y'are about to come here, y'all need to If I was from New York and I was gonna join ICE, yeah, I was like, Yo, they coming up to the Bronx tomorrow, y'all don't be around this street.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sure there's people doing and if they're doing that, more power to you. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: They got to say melt, melt great.
Speaker 10: I think this is I agree with Governor Wes Moore. He said this the other day. This is a bigger play. Some Trump is working on something bigger with sending ICE today. Yeah, yeah, we don't see right now.
Speaker 2: It was in Project twenty five privatizing.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, it's a part of it.
Speaker 7: Well well, well, and h what was also in there was privatizing the post office? And the post Office is running out of money.
Speaker 6: I mean, let's be honest. America is run like a business.
Speaker 2: I mean it makes sense not even work for the post Office. That don't even be at work.
Speaker 4: Man, the post Office is the post Office is not a for profit business, y' true, they're not. It's a it's a several true service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, service, it's necessary.
Speaker 7: I want to work for the post Office. But that's my dream job.
Speaker 2: Are you serving like postal worker.
Speaker 4: The post office?
Speaker 2: In her What do you call those Doc Martins shorts walking down?
Speaker 7: Yea?
Speaker 1: I see you getting dressed up in the post office looking great. You don't work well with people.
Speaker 8: You be calling people.
Speaker 4: I want to work at the post office taking people mail.
Speaker 7: Have you ever been to the post Office and had a good customer service experience? Never? Never? That's why I want to work there, because they don't they don't give a toy. It's post office and d M v oh yeah, and the bus driver yeah, t a them M T.
Speaker 2: A is in the school safety train.
Speaker 4: I would do school safety before I do ice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh for sure.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: By breaking up fight, I mean you can make it.
Speaker 4: You can make an impact as a school safety absolutely can.
Speaker 2: I still remember I remember my school safety officer.
Speaker 4: It was dope.
Speaker 2: They had great relationships.
Speaker 4: They handled mad beefts.
Speaker 1: There was things that should have happened that if school safety wasn't handling issue.
Speaker 4: It was the actual police department would have been horrible.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 4: Absolutely absolutely. While we got the police in our school though, that's crazy.
Speaker 6: And metal detectives, which is that's how we grew up.
Speaker 4: We had actually machines in our school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had them to it. You had him in midw We had actually metal detectives in Madison. We had to put our bags to for them.
Speaker 2: Events and hooligans, honey.
Speaker 10: I went to the greatest public Catholic school af a Bishop for where we saw knife and guns in the locker room.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They closed. Now, welcome to Brooklyn.
Speaker 8: That part.
Speaker 7: So we're talking about building wealth with the trade.
Speaker 6: You said something that I wanted to go back to talk about charisma.
Speaker 4: My dad.
Speaker 1: My dad told the story when he let go from sundown. This is also important why I did what I did with Ducker Drunker. He got let go from sundown and he was one of the last guys out in his computer right and everybody was closing up and leaving their stuff, and they were just walking out.
Speaker 6: He got up, walked by, saw the manager and said, hey, man, I.
Speaker 1: Was appreciate you know, the opportunity. He said, Hey, Troy, before you leave, I got something for you. That guy hired my dad at his next job, and it was mainly because my father was always the person that was last. He always got there early, and he always spoke to people. He was always very very nice. So I took that from my dad. Every time I do something, I always tell people I really appreciate it. I tell him thank you, you know. And ever since I've been doing that, I've realized my life, I've been able to succeed because people look out for those who they remember.
Speaker 8: That is a fact.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It don't matter how good you it doesn't matter how good you do a job. If they remember you and they like working with you, they're more than likely to pull you up. And that's part of having a trade that people don't realize. A lot of people don't make money in their trades, not because they're not good that the trade, is because they're not good with relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and customer service.
Speaker 3: That's so true because I was working with a makeup artist years ago, and she was younger than me, and at the time I was kind of all my way out of the industry, but she was on her way in coming and I had hired her to do my makeup one time just to kind of see, like, Okay, this girl's talented, she can do something.
Speaker 2: Give her a shot.
Speaker 3: And I realized that even just her interaction with me was very kind of cut and dry, which is also fine. I didn't know if in part maybe she was nervous the first time working with me or what. But I had said to her, I'm like, listen, if you want to like take this thing. You're so talented, you're so young, you have so much ability. I said, you can make a lot of money in this industry by being an on demand makeup artist. But it's not even as much your talent and your skill. It's how you make the person feel when they're in your chair. So you have to be that person that's personable and outgoing and make the conversation. I said, sometimes people will sit in your chair and they'll just start spilling their guts. It's almost like, is this a therapy session or what you know? But in that making people feel comfortable and you being memorable as someone who they want to hire and want to be in their space is very very important. And she was able to take that piece of advice, and as she got older and she matured, she was able to build out a business and became like a really big influencer in the makeup industry as well. So saying that to say, you're absolutely right about customer service and how you make people feel with the experience being like eighty percent of the battle.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's important for people to understand too.
Speaker 1: Customer service important relations, but also listening and learning the craft because I said, it doesn't matter how good you are, which is really not true. You have to become a master of your craft in order to get paid and I think that's important. But also time management. When you have a trade, people don't realize that part of your trade. And I learned this through Josh. We're talking about this story. I hired Draj to be my photographer. You think that all Josh does is take pictures. Then you find out that there's hours of editing that goes afterwards. And then as a person who tries to master their trade, you have to figure out how to master your hours in a day to maximize how much money you make during that time. Most people give up on their trade because they can't master that point. For example, when I was in college, my trade was cutting here. I learned how to cut here, and I would charge people ten dollars for a haircut, so I knew. I was like, yo, if I can do this every Saturday and Sunday and I can cut at least five heads, I could make one hundred dollars a weekend. Then I started realizing, like, wait a minute, if I get two pair of clippers, I don't have to wait for the clippers to cool down. I could actually do ten heads in the day. And it was just like cutting down and learning how to master the craft. But the time element of the craft is how you make the most money for sure. And then the biggest part about owning a trade or having a trade is learning when to duplicate yourself and when to scale. Thought that I remember when Kadeen started doing so many weddings that she taught Sakari how to do makeup, and then they would split the bridesmaids. And then it got to a point where they splitting weddings because k would go to one and Soakari will go to one on the same day. And I'm like, yo, you just too exed your input because you've been able to duplicate yourself.
Speaker 3: No, for sure, that was super important when I realized, like, oh, these bridal parties are coming out with just you know, four or five bridesmaids. There is a mom, there's the mom of the bride, mom of the groom, and sometimes there's huge wedding parties. It's like thirteen people. Josh and I were together in the makeup and wedding industry for a minute, and yeah, I was like, shoot, if I can even just book a wedding and then outsore as my sister to you know, do the faces and pay her a portion of what I've made, that's just me making money without having to even show up in that space.
Speaker 4: That's the key.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's why I ended up leaving retail as well. And I kept the retail job though, and it's important, like you said to know your trade. I always wanted to learn, and being able to be a freelance makeup artist working in the store with Matt Cosmetics gave me the on the job training that I needed to always be on trend and to be in the spaces to meet people and to develop those relationships so I can say, hey, oh my god, I'm helping you with the lip today.
Speaker 2: What's this lipstick for.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to find the perfect shade of lipstick for my wedding day. Oh my goodness, your wedding day is coming up?
Speaker 2: When is it? Do you have a makeup artist? I actually know I'm kind of in the market for one.
Speaker 7: Cool.
Speaker 2: How about we do a trial real quick, see how you like the makeup, and then we can chat. We can chat. That's how I met so many of my clients.
Speaker 3: And guess what, she has friends who are in that same age group who are also getting married. So I got into some amazing friend groups of people where I just was like that rotating makeup artists who did everyone's makeup at some point.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought that up because so many people who are trying to get into entrepreneurship be like I'm ready to just quit my job, and all of us will say it, we started in our businesses, but kept our job while building our businesses. Yeah, I did the same thing in TV film. I never just jumped out of anything. When I was in football, I got cut and I started doing training, but I kept training until I could make sure that my money was making enough for my family to survive before I went to something else.
Speaker 6: And I think people don't.
Speaker 4: Realize that that's a possibility.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, you can work a nine to five and then when you do with five, hey, I'm gonna work on my trade from six to nine. That's three hours, and be like, how much money can you make? I'm like three hours every day, seven days a week. It's twenty one hours. And if you say you work in a trade where you can make one hundred dollars an hour, you're looking at twenty one hundred dollars you can make, oh for sure, in a week. And people's like, it's not possible. It really is that possible. I've watched everybody here earn enough money to live on their trade. You're just trying to figure out how to continuously grow it.
Speaker 3: You know, when did you leave your ninety five because you were you were at Chase as well too. Yeah, twenty twelve, When did you finally feel comfortable to say, you know what, I can actually let this twenty twelve?
Speaker 2: After how many years that was?
Speaker 4: I was at Chase for about six years?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: But one thing, one thing that you.
Speaker 4: You mentioned and Devel sort of mentioned as well when you said you were at the makeup makeup we call it boot Matt maybe the counter there you go, And how you actually got your clientele was actually being personable. And the same thing with school, right, you talked about how has charisma helped him? But that personability that you that you have to have with people where you aren't necessarily coming across as you are seeking clientele, but you're generally caring, is where things, yes, sort of can shift for you. Right, Like I don't have to be the best at my task, but as long as I people allow people to feel seen, absolutely right, that goes a long way. I'm not the best photographer, and I know that I don't necessarily need to be the best photographer. You just need to have people feel like they are being seen, right, I.
Speaker 1: Think so subjective though what you're saying you're not, because I think many people will say.
Speaker 4: You are the best photographers. And that's fine for other people to say it, right, but there is no there's no test, right, Like you can't say I know what you mean. You know, I took this test and it came up and said I'm I'm the number one.
Speaker 7: I mean, if we're talking tests, the pictures you've took.
Speaker 4: Of me on my phone, it was a video, a video.
Speaker 7: Never get over that.
Speaker 4: I don't care my target audience.
Speaker 8: This is an example of.
Speaker 4: What I'm trying to make is like there's that there's that personal person ability that you have to have besides aiming to be the best, have that sort of uh mindset that you actually care about how this person feels about how they look. And that was my thing, Like I can't how you can feel about how you look in a picture more than me trying to be the best photographer, because you might not necessarily need the best uh pictures. You need to feel like you actually look like yourself or look better than you feel inside. To a case point, like when she comes when people come to the counter and she's like, well, what you're here for? Instead of saying, oh, let me just tell you this because this is what you need to sell in this season, because this is what corporus pushing.
Speaker 2: Because I wouldn't know.
Speaker 1: You're selling them the experience of being with you as a partner. That's ultimately what you're selling.
Speaker 4: You're selling the experience caring about what their goals are. If you're a personal trainer.
Speaker 6: It's the same thing.
Speaker 4: I'm not caring, Like, I don't want to care so much that you lost ten pounds in the next three months and I got to put you on social media. No, I care about how you feel about how you look catered to that.
Speaker 8: You know what I'm saying. The good ones, the good ones do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's what And the point is how to how to excel in your field beyond the talent that you have, right, and if you if you want to get out the Mud and you want to succeed that getting out the Mud, you got to care about the people that you're servicing that more more than your ultimate clip it that that is a fact.
Speaker 2: Do you guys, would you hire a trainer who's out of shape?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: No, I wouldn't know, Like, do you have to love the.
Speaker 2: Part of me from Matt?
Speaker 8: Maybe if I was trying to be on the D line or line.
Speaker 1: I'm listening to see what you're say, perspective, See what you're saying perspective.
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny. I thought about that this morning. Right, I could. I could if I were playing sports, I could play for a coach that didn't play ball. Right, you just got to understand the game.
Speaker 9: You'll be able to explain the games. Yeah, that makes me understand as well. You don't need to necessarily play. You talking about aesthetics, I feel you got to be able to do it with me because.
Speaker 10: There's a lot of people that are in shape and can't even run. They have no running, can't do anything athletic.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 1: I think fitness is very very different because like, if I'm going to a trainer and I want to look a certain way, I'm not going to go to the training that doesn't look the way I want to go.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go to the guy and say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm trying to look like you because I know you doing it and I know it's possible if I see you do it. So for me training the same thing with a barber, I'm not going to a barber that got a jacked up haircut bro Like.
Speaker 2: It's like, wait a minute, if you don't take pride in yourself, you can't take.
Speaker 6: Is just not doing that.
Speaker 3: It's funny you mentioned that too, because that had a lot to do with it too. Even at MAC, at my counter days, on the random shift, depending on the size of the store, it would be four to five of us in rotation, all different different personalities, different makeup aesthetic and you could see people walk through the door and they kind of scan to see who they aspire to look like or who looks like they did the bomb job on their makeup. I used to always go the more natural rite. That was just my natural, my preference. And the thing at MAC, I think back in the day. Don't know if it's still a standard, but you had to have at least thirteen products on your face, so between like your lips, your foundation, your powder, it can add up quickly. But in order to achieve that look, you're essentially attracting a certain kind of clientele as well.
Speaker 10: So sometimes before you see people like why she got so much makeup on doing other people makeup?
Speaker 4: But hearing that that, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Do you think of everyone?
Speaker 4: It's easy for you to pull more clientele by having the natural look, because the person that doesn't know every day makeup, they automatically like, I want to put makeup on, but I don't want to look look.
Speaker 2: Like exactly exactly. And I used to sell. I used to sell through the roof. I always want to in US.
Speaker 3: Was was like insane and it was just like and I didn't even realize how good I was at it until I would start just having again conversations and before you know it, they're like, all right, I'll take that, and I'll take that, and I'll take that. And to me, everyone kept asking like, how do you do this? I had to start doing classes on like how to raise your A U S.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, because you're personal communication skills.
Speaker 6: Are like you don't realize.
Speaker 2: I was listening to drug you go to people. She should have got today.
Speaker 1: She got to be but she got it in life, you know what I'm saying. But you are really good with communicating to people. A lot of people when you go, like just for example, today, if you go to get anybody buy anything from anywhere, it seems like the minute you go to talk to someone, they just don't want to talk to you.
Speaker 6: So the simple fact that you look people in the eye and say hello and good morning. They got you got them already.
Speaker 1: Because when I went to best Buy, I went the best Boy to go get a TV eighty three and TV them shits is expensive. You would think people are going to get commissioned. The would be excited. I said, hey, how much is that TV in the back.
Speaker 4: You because I'm trying to buy a TV from.
Speaker 8: You, like trying to hide on my break.
Speaker 3: Like when you go to somebody who is supposed to also be an expert in your in their trade, you want to hear that, yes, like I want to learn something from you before I even attempt to hire you to do anything for me.
Speaker 2: I want to hear how well versed you are in your in your trade, you know. So that's important.
Speaker 4: If I speak to you you feel like I'm a burden to you and you're the expert.
Speaker 6: Yeah, wrap, I'm not coming back to you.
Speaker 4: And if I feel like that, I'm sure other people feel like that. Absolutely So. I mean, if I have to get any advice to anybody who really wants to get out the mud like act like you care man.
Speaker 3: That was gonna be my min or care nowhere else genuinely care, genuinely care about what you care about what you're doing.
Speaker 1: No, that is important though, to care enough to get paid for it, sure, because some people I don't never get paid to do this. Where you didn't care enough to show anybody in value, that's why you don't get paid.
Speaker 4: Your product looks like you don't care, And there's gonna be times where you're like so bogged down with work. The only thing that's really pushing you through is getting paid and caring about how like the final result, Like if you don't care, you you you're liable to like not continue and not move forward at all.
Speaker 1: So let me ask a question to all of y'all, right, because I know when you say this, people say no one can do this. You've watched me work eighteen hours, right, and I know what I was going through. What was getting y'all through those times when it was like I'm at work and I got this trade I'm trying to build, Like what was it that was just like, nah, I'm keep going.
Speaker 10: Well for me, I dropped out of school to pursue photography, But I wasn't good at photography when I dropped out of school, So I went to Walgreens. I had a job at a hotel doing av work. I was playing drums at church. I was doing everything to make money while still learning photography. So I had to keep on pushing, pushing. I know the end goal, but I'm not there yet, so I wanted to get there, and a lot is riding.
Speaker 8: On the line.
Speaker 1: So master you wanted to learn mastery? Yeah, that's from that was similar to exercise physiology. I went from playing in the league to making ten dollars an hour working at Parisi Speed School because I wanted to learn, but they were going to pay for my National Academy of Sports Medicine certificate and.
Speaker 4: For me to go back to school. So I dealt with it.
Speaker 6: But it was hard though bro Like it was times.
Speaker 1: I was like Man's but it was caring about the fact that I really wanted to help kids get faster so that they can get to college.
Speaker 6: I saw something.
Speaker 1: I said, Yo, there's a niche here if I can get them forty times down at the national average at that point for kids in Brooklyn for the forty was something like four to nine. It was something terrible because most of the football kids didn't run track, so when they went to camps.
Speaker 6: In the local Tri State area, most of the city kids were struggling.
Speaker 1: This was in twenty ten, and I was like, if we can get the four to nine down to like four to six, we have a lot more kids going to college.
Speaker 6: So I wanted to learn the mastery of the forty yard dash.
Speaker 1: And because I cared so much about the mastery and I learned it, I was getting kids forty times down.
Speaker 6: And then that's how word spread. That's another thing finding a.
Speaker 4: Niche than and being so broad.
Speaker 6: If you have a trade, you can't just say I'm a barber. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: What are you specialize in? Special pushing back care lines? You're trying to find them. That's a niche. Bro It is a niche. Your niche was wedding photography.
Speaker 3: Right, and I was gonna say mine was make up with weddings. In addition to that, when you're in a trade, depending on what your trade is, trade is is there an ecosystem that you can exist within, Because for us it was weddings. So connecting with photographers who did weddings, connecting with wedding planners, connecting with dress designers, connecting with hair stylists, you are literally in ecosystem where people are constantly getting inquiries or referrals. So it's like, hey, I know this makeup artist, so if I do a good job with this gig, it's almost like you're auditioning for the next game.
Speaker 4: You build the community auditioning. Literally every time you work for the next one, you already got the person there. And that's one thing that people don't realize. I know we jump in all over the place, but a lot of people when they're looking at where they want to be, they're focused on only where they want to be and not what's the task at hand. How many times people come to me and like, man I wish I could do that, Like Yo, how did you get to do that? But you focus on that and that that might be you might not get to what that is you got to. You gotta seriously think about what you're actively doing now and treat what you're doing now like now is that so that when you get something else that becomes you're like you're now Everything that you do now needs to get your your one hundred attention. A lot of people focus on, man I really want to get into If they say I want to get into doing like one hundred thousand dollars weddings. I really want to do that. Bro, you got to shoot the one hundred the ten k weddings, and you got to shoot ten k weddings like they hundred k weddings, and you got to get to the thirty k weddings, and you got shoot the thirty k weddings like they hundred k weddings. That's the only way you're gonna get because if you sit in and focus on man, I really can't the weddings that I have now, or are things that I do now, it's not like that. You'll never get there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's that was my mindset because when I started podcasting, I really wanted to be an on air producer on the radio. And so I started producing my own podcast, and I started producing podcasts for other people, and I was doing this for free. I was getting paid. I had a full time job. I was staying up all night to edit my podcast. I was going all over the city to interview people. I was doing live shows, I was hosting live events, and I was doing all of that as if you know, I was already a professional broadcaster and because of that. Then I started getting invited on the radio to be a monthly contributor. And then once they had a position open, they invited me to apply for the position. But it took me four years to get there. But it was like, and I was getting paid for little like hosting gigs here and there. People would start inviting me because they knew that I was a podcast host and I had started doing comedy, so then people would start inviting me to host things. And you know, I would get paid little by little here and there, but for the radio, the monthly contribution spot, if I was doing it for free. I was riding my bike like ten miles to the radio station to be on the radio for thirty minutes, you know, and getting to know the director, getting to know the morning host, getting to know you know, the people that work at the station.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just get the steps.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing.
Speaker 6: People say, they want to do what you want to do until you tell them what you had.
Speaker 4: I ain't doing all of that.
Speaker 3: That happens to us all the time. People always want to know because you know, it's easy to listen to de Valeni. Now we were talking about this last night. We're twenty four years in so Devalancatin you here now if you go back to season one, completely different people. Right, We've learned so much over the time, but when we tell people the things that we've had to do to make it to this point.
Speaker 8: It's daunting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like, I'm not doing all that.
Speaker 3: Like I was just talking to even my sister about like the first five years of our marriage where we literally were struggling with everything and we had to sacrifice so many things that we weren't going on trips, we weren't buying anything. It was just basic, bare minimum stuff. And then it's just like she'll look at me, like, we gotta do that for how long? I'm like, yeah, that's kind of how it works.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: If you want to have that autonomy over your time, which I think is probably the thing that we all have in common with our trades, is you want to be able to develop a trade that is able to sustain your lifestyle to give you autonomy over time. That's what Deval and I wanted from the very very beginning because we knew we always wanted to be parents, we wanted to be active parents, and we're also artists, Like we can't do the things that we want to do if our livelihood is not sustained, so we can do the things we want to do. So it requires lots of steps to get to where you want to be.
Speaker 1: People need to understand it's called out the mud because it's dirty work. It's not glamorous work. So I had a little bit of debate. We were talking about this a couple of years ago, and I said that we had sacrificed for five years working eighteen hours, no trips, and dude put on theres like, ain't nobody doing all of that? I said that that mentality is the reason why you never wait exactly where you are stagnant in life, because you're not willing to challenge yourself and take sacrifices to make the leap. You can say you want that, but if everybody could get that easily, everybody will.
Speaker 4: Anybody think that the opportunity is a lottery as opposed to there's a tack that people might like, you need grit like more than anything else, even in corporate like even climbing that corporate ladder. It takes grit and all disciplin get places.
Speaker 6: For me.
Speaker 4: There's two there's two type of people. There's people that are complacent and they just want to collect the check and that's okay. But if you have aspirations to be anything bigger than what you currently are in a given moment, it's gonna take grit and it's not gonna happen tomorrow. It's I mean, there's there's a few people that hit the lottery and they discovered and like the whole world changes, Keith Lee might pop up in your restaurant and everything changes. But those those opportunities feel farm between you because the reality is the grit that you that that takes you from point A to Z teaches you so much like that becomes invaluable then even like the lottery might not like the lottery might not even be sustainable because when I've learned a lottery, what I learned from A to Z you can't get no school. Is teaching me that the client relations that I've had to keep, the relations that I met like that. I've had so many pictures of people that I've taken that I cannot show, right, I love. I love that for myself because it's n d a's and people pay for n d as. There's people who who come to my student and be like, hey, I don't want this on social media just because this is not my thing. I just want to preserve my memories. And I'm okay with that because I earned my checks not based off what I show online, but I earned my checks because of my grit and what I've done from A to Z. You know what I'm saying that people don't understand. They just think like I could just you know, I'm away, Like you said the dudes like, ain't nobody doing all that? If you ain't doing all that, you might hit the lottery one day. But I promise you the game is rigged.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 4: You got to go through A to Z. Yeah, you got to work there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that we know.
Speaker 3: So as we wrap up the conversation, now that we know about trades, what do you think about, for example, our children future children. Are you going to encourage them to do the four year college or if they say, mom, dad, I want to take up this trade. What are we going to start to kind of encourage our children to do. As we look to the future, now that so many jobs are going to become obsolete due to AI changes in you know, technology, is it better off to kind of encourage the next generation to pick up a trade versus like just going to a four year college.
Speaker 1: I'll say this, I'm not going to prepare my sons for the way life is now because it won't be like this for them. I'm going to support them in the change that the world's going through. But I also have a different, greater sense of purpose. We've worked our tails off to ensure that our children don't have to wake up every day thinking about how they're going to earn revenue to live, you know what I'm saying. So, because that is not how they're going to have to see the world, they don't have to think about trades in that way. I want them to think about what they want their life purpose to me, what they want to do to better humanity, and whatever they want to do to better humanity. I want them to find a way to utilize their resources to do that, you know, exponentially. I don't know what that means career wise. I don't know if that's philanthropy work, I don't know if it's art. But I just I just don't know how to prepare them to be like you gotta work like But if they don't want to work Let's say, for example, CODA graduates fifteen years from now, we'll worth three hundred and fifty million dollars. I'm gonna tell my eighteen year old them, you got to go to college, get a job, because you won't be able.
Speaker 4: To approach yourself.
Speaker 6: He gonna look at me like that, you're rich, So I want to give them a different sense of rich.
Speaker 2: You're not rich, So what are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: But here's here's the truth.
Speaker 1: Though all of us grew up with a scarcity mind mindset because our parents weren't able to give us that autonomy over our lives.
Speaker 6: I don't want ustlings to have to go through that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I watched my white counterparts who I went to college with, who parents always had money, and they were in college because they wanted to, not because it was a force on them. And I think for a lot of us as black parents, is like, you force your kids to go to school because.
Speaker 4: You got to help me. You know, you got to help, You got to provide, you got to be a contributor to this family.
Speaker 1: And it's like, I don't want my kids to grow up feeling that way of if I don't contribute.
Speaker 4: I'm a failure.
Speaker 2: It's also the accolades that come with going to college.
Speaker 3: Right. Jackson asked me the other day, he was like, Mom, how would you feel if like I didn't want to go to college and I just wanted to go like straight to the NBA or whatever or the NFL. Him and Cairo and the three of us were talking, and I said, and then Cairo looks at Jackson and he was like, you know, Mom's gonna want to go to us to go to college. And I was like, okay, college will be nice, but let's be for real. Why do we go to college?
Speaker 2: And they're like, so that you can learn to get a job. I say, exactly.
Speaker 3: So if you're graduating from high school with a built in job already, that's going to make you multimillion dollars, and that's the opportunity that you have in that moment. Why would I tell you not to take that opportunity? Because essentially you can make multimillion dollars, do the right things with your money, invest in start businesses. That way, you can sustain your life that when you're done playing sports, because it's a short span of life, you'll then already have businesses and investments.
Speaker 2: And you can then go get your degree to college.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can then decide which is what's going to be next for that next portion of life. But I think the mindset is because somebody had popped up I think on Jackson's feed and was like his mom was like some player and was like his mom was like, no, he can't go to the NFL right away or whatever or NBA right away.
Speaker 2: He has to go to college first. And that was the debate.
Speaker 6: I don't want to condition my kids to be workers. I just don't.
Speaker 1: I watched the generation before us do that and now they're in their late sixties trying to figure out how they retire. And then the game is always rigged to where you have to retire later and later. So what I'm gonna tell my kids you retired when you eighty five? You know, like, no, I'm not doing that to them. I'm going to figure out what your purpose is, son, and we can help you figure out a trade or something around it to where you can earn if you need to earn. But I'm not just going to be throwing it on them like you gotta go got it.
Speaker 6: No, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 8: I think your education is key.
Speaker 10: As long as you're teaching them that they that they have to keep learning no matter what, no matter where they are in life, they'll be all right.
Speaker 6: I agree, I agree.
Speaker 4: I agree with that too. I see I saw a instagram real of Von Miller. He owns uh some farms, I.
Speaker 6: Believe the Miller defensive end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he owns chicken farms, and he learned about he took a class in college. Took a class in college, and now football might be his sort of like side thing. He's making so much money from that chicken chicken farm that you know football, which you think football will probably be the primary thing that he earns money from. And I looked at that and I thought, for me personally, you know, when when my daughter gets to the age of, you know, considering college, it is an option for her that is not something that I think I can force on her because I didn't necessarily need college for my trade. Right. College was a great thing to help me make connections, and a lot of connections that I've made in college definitely sustained me from my positioning after school, which was great, but it wasn't something that I needed. I was I went to school for electrical engineer. I got my degree. I never worked a day as an edgucal engineer, but a lot of things that I learned there, you know, outside of my degree, really helps me still to this day. Project management skills.
Speaker 2: Understanding, like even just time management.
Speaker 4: Yeah I left. I mean if I did not go to college, I don't think I survived as a business owner like period at all. And I still didn't do anything that I did in school, like I needed to be able to be on my own. I needed to be able to manage the task at hand, because you don't get that in high school. You still got people on you, tell you what you mom's got to wake you up, and all this other stuff. So I say all that to say, looking at the things that von Miller learned and how that set him him up in the future, even beyond football, I think I can't knock and say college is not for everybody, or college everybody needs to go to college. I think there's opportunity that you can pick and choose from throughout your life that might benefit you in every facet.
Speaker 1: That you go. We need to do a full path, a full pod on the college is you know, like, we need to do a full pod college.
Speaker 3: Is it's necessary, Yeah, because I think that I know so many people with various stories where they went to college and then now they're doing random things.
Speaker 8: But then there's the.
Speaker 10: Reasons that I dropped out though, because I was going to college with computer science, and when I got to my I think fourth or fifty as I might, I'm not going to use this. I don't want to use this. But I learned a lot on how to operate in college, how to talk to people, how to do different things. As Josh was just saying, I know I was gonna use that. I'm not going to keep paying money and going more debt.
Speaker 4: I gonna lie.
Speaker 1: That's how we we talked about this last week. I was like, hey, you realize we treated college like the game of life. We had our own apartments on college, we moved in together. I was making money from playing football. I had my sixteen hundred dollars for my meal points. She had her stipend from our and we balanced our budgets and we we went shopping.
Speaker 6: It was like we learned how to be a family, the two of us.
Speaker 1: While in college together, because we utilized our resources to get through she didn't have to pay for books because I took the same classes she good, so I can get my books paid for so that she didn't have to pay for it. And then we used the extra money to get food and we did things like that. It was like college was more than just classes for us. College was like practicing life. Yes, when it states and you got people around, you know what I'm.
Speaker 10: Saying, when you're in high school going to college, a lot of people going to college. I'm pay for college first, what is happening?
Speaker 2: Prepare to get out of the college experience? That can also be That would.
Speaker 6: Be a great conversation for that.
Speaker 7: That's a really good conversation. Most of us don't get what we thought we were going to get out of out of that getting a bachelor's degree. I would say college. The most it did for me is it taught me how to get a job. You know, I will never be without a job because I learned the soft skills and how to write a resume and how to be impressive in an interview and how to like you know, make myself look good on paper, and how.
Speaker 6: To catch that's important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but college landed me a husband, Honey, Instagram told.
Speaker 4: You how look nice, I said, Instagram told you how to look good at reels?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, you know, I do what I can.
Speaker 1: I really want to do this full thing on podcasts on college college, because now that I have I'm wondering, like, even if you don't want to do nothing, you still going to college.
Speaker 6: You need to meet some experience, experienced different walks of life.
Speaker 4: But Dad, I don't want to.
Speaker 6: I don't care.
Speaker 8: Those people could be a client going not.
Speaker 2: For THEGI going into anybody's room in the middle of the night. Peen and.
Speaker 4: My sons.
Speaker 2: Where are you at now?
Speaker 6: The discipline I used to have to maintain grades. This is my thing.
Speaker 1: If you're going to college, I will pay for your college degree. You don't even got to get a scholarship, but them J G. Pig got to be above three point five.
Speaker 2: You don't get that scholarship now.
Speaker 7: For no reason.
Speaker 6: Were you taking the money off of your taking a trade?
Speaker 10: That's what I did. I was I was bsing. I ended up going down to community college, took less classes. That's ended up in the fifth year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is out the mond.
Speaker 8: Took less classes so I could go to work. But I still had both and was juggling.
Speaker 4: That's but that's that's fine though.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he just asked me. He was like, you dropped on your fifth years.
Speaker 4: To me, I dropped out of my fourth and fifty.
Speaker 2: I said the same thing. To I said, maybe even fourth, fifth semester for.
Speaker 8: Every year because I started taking school.
Speaker 6: How much? How much credit you got left to graduate?
Speaker 8: Like six? No more than that.
Speaker 10: I went from a regular four years school, took community college. So then I took and then I started taking less of that.
Speaker 4: The next episode, mat is transcript got to see this ship. We need to know.
Speaker 8: I'll show you my W two and stuff I come from that. Yeah, tell them I don't need that ship from my company.
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 2: Well, whatever your trade is, make sure you can pay some bills, because we have some bills.
Speaker 3: Let's take a quick break and then we're going to be back with our Listener Letter episode of the day. So stick around, beat our beat. Hey'all, we're back with our listener letter episode. Well, our listener Letter of the day, rather the listener episode is coming up.
Speaker 2: Hey guys. I absolutely love the podcast and I'm.
Speaker 3: Such a fan of the new addition with Triple Matt and josh I need some advice about money man management. I actually wrote in before about feeling like my life was ending. At twenty five, I went to school for broadcast journalism, thinking I was going to be the next big thing on Channel twelve news. Then COVID happened Channel twelve so long, I definitely interned a News twelve on island.
Speaker 2: Definitely tell you what happened to be a new swellng N. I'll tell you last time, all right.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Then COVID happened.
Speaker 3: Life did a complete three sixty or one eight maybe, and I ended up going back to school for ultrasound. Well now twenty seven a recent graduate and officially a full time ultrasound technician who cue the hand collaps. This is the most money I've ever made in my life, and honestly, I have no idea where to start when it comes to being smart with it.
Speaker 2: There's so much information out there that I'm overwhelmed.
Speaker 3: I don't know who to trust or what advice is actually right. I also don't come from a family that's great with money. I'm in a very I am very in a very grateful and humbling position to still live at home, which allows me to save but I'm creeping up on thirty, and despite being raised in New York and watching everyone else survive, it feels like an ultra. It feels like an unreasonable thought to think I can afford to live here on my own. The reality is I have about seventy K in student loans and fifteen k in credit card debt. Moving out right now feels most.
Speaker 2: Ba sorry.
Speaker 3: Moving out right now feels almost non existent as an option. I don't want to leave just to struggle harder. I hear everyone saying Max ouder Roth, Ira, save for a home, start a.
Speaker 2: Business, invest in ETFs.
Speaker 3: I have ten different saving accounts or my favorite one is by a duplex and rent out the other side.
Speaker 2: We thought about that when we came home from school.
Speaker 3: I'm over here trying to find a rent stabilized apartment for twenty five hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 2: Insane, isn't it?
Speaker 3: It makes you think that I have one hundred and sixty k down payment to just drop on a duplex. As you can see, it's a lot. I was raised by baby boomers who whose main advice is just work harder. I'm working hard. I don't have kids, but life still feels expensive. I plan to stay home until twenty nine thirty, pay off debt, save, and still enjoy my life a little. But how do I do that strategically? How do I avoid just paying bills to move out just to pay more bills? I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck? How do I make my money work for me? Do I hire a CPA, a financial advisor? If you were in my position, first generation high earner, no financial blueprint, no family examples of wealth building or comfortable retirement, what would you do? And I just want to say, I'm one hundred percent grateful for my family. They did the best that they could with the information they had. I'm the first woman in my bloodline who gives, who gets to live life for herself, not tied down by children or a husband yet. And I'm deeply grateful to the women before me who sacrificed so I could even have this choice. So in closing, what should a girl do? I don't want to make the wrong moves? Sincerely, a girl who should probably call JG Wentworth.
Speaker 4: Seven cash Now.
Speaker 7: That was my aspro's way.
Speaker 8: Too much to you. Oh my god, cash, Now that's funny that you put that in there.
Speaker 2: I love that I love.
Speaker 4: This is the first thing.
Speaker 6: Don't move outreat letter, Yeah, don't move out.
Speaker 1: The first thing is if you have seventy thousand dollars in student debt and fifteen thousand dollars in credit card debt, pay off your debt before you move anywhere.
Speaker 6: There's no reason to move out if you have debt, that's number one.
Speaker 1: Number two, if you have a friend or someone that you love, or someone that you can trust, don't go out there and try to pay all this rent by yourself. The easiest way to make it in life is group economics. Nobody wants to hear this, but it is difficult to make it on your own, even if you're a high earner. They're saying now in twenty twenty six, in order to make what our parents made in the nineties, like six figures, you would have to make over a.
Speaker 6: Quarter million dollars. That means living in New York, living in New York.
Speaker 1: If you make two hundred and fifty thousand dollars living in New York, you're living practically paycheck to paycheck.
Speaker 6: Even if you're considered a high earner, you're still not earning high enough to live on your own.
Speaker 1: So we have to get out of our mindsets that we could just get a job out of college, run to pay rent, and just build a life. It's impossible get with some people who think like you. The only way I've been able to make anything happen in my life is all because of group economics. I will not sit here and say it was me by myself. When I just got out of the league, I roommate with my wife who was my girlfriend at the time, my fiance Sharif, his girlfriend, and my brother Brian.
Speaker 6: They were five of us paying two thousand dollars a month rent.
Speaker 4: We split that for two years.
Speaker 1: It was four hundred dollars a piece per person, and that allowed me to save so that when Sharif and his girlfriend moved out, it was me, you and Brian.
Speaker 6: Then when Brian moved out, I had enough money saved.
Speaker 4: It was me and Kay.
Speaker 6: Then Kay didn't have to work because I had enough money, everything saved. It was on my own.
Speaker 1: Then that was six years after I retired from the NFL. Yeah, and I say that because people think it's gonna happen instantly.
Speaker 6: It's just not. You gotta utilize group economics.
Speaker 4: You have to save.
Speaker 1: You have to get rid of all the fat. First, get rid of all of your expenses i'm not expenses, all of your debt, and then you can start moving forward.
Speaker 2: I think that's great advice. Listen to that. Wonna crunch some numbers real quick and tell you what to do with it to get about the mud. So I think that's great advice.
Speaker 8: That's that s for me.
Speaker 6: That would be the birth the first thing for her.
Speaker 1: And try to at least get to a point where you're saving money consistently every month.
Speaker 6: See if you can save if she's a high earner.
Speaker 1: If you get the point where you saving fifteen hundred to two thousand a month because you don't have rent or you have a roommate. Now you're looking at around twenty five K a year, and you say put yourself on a five year plan, which is what I did with K. I didn't tell K we were going to be rich tomorrow. I say, you'll give me five years. Twenty five K over five years is one hundred and twenty five thousand. You put twenty percent on a six hundred thousand dollars house, that's one hundred and twenty k. You can buy a property, and once you own that property, now you can start building wealth. Give yourself a five year plan, ma see if you can be disciplined for those five years and start your life, then.
Speaker 7: There you go.
Speaker 2: All right, y'all. If you want to be featured as a listener letter on a future episode, please be sure to email us at the Ellis Advice at gmail dot com.
Speaker 6: That's t H E E L L I S A d V I C E at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: All right, moment of truth. We're talking today getting out of the mud. What's your takeaway, babe?
Speaker 1: Oh mother, this is a lot that My biggest thing would be is that it's called the mud for a reason. Stop expecting it to be glamorous. It's dirty work. It takes time, but if you get it out the mud, you can carry it a way longer.
Speaker 4: Than if someone just gives it to you.
Speaker 2: Trips, Josh mat put some care and effort in.
Speaker 8: What do you do?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Like a period, let's change them, let's hear them.
Speaker 4: Grit, personability, uh, and it's not a lottery. I think those three things a key to success with getting it out of the mutt.
Speaker 2: Dope.
Speaker 7: In the words of Angela Davis. Freedom is a constant struggle. Even when you get to where you're going, you might have somewhere else to be, So keep grinding.
Speaker 2: As a fact. Wow nice, Yeah, Yeah, I think mine is.
Speaker 3: It's cliche for a reason that it takes ten years for an overnight success, and I think that rings true with anything. So if you do pick up a trade, just know that it's going to require a certain level of commitment and work to be an actual expert and master in your field and craft, and that coupled with personality and just the genuine care for whatever it is that you're doing with other people and their experience.
Speaker 2: So what that will look like, that's going to be the recipe for success for you. So keep on grinding, y'all. If you are not following us yet on Patreon, be sure to do that.
Speaker 3: We have exclusive Ellis Family content as well as The After Show, so sign up for us on Patreon at Ellis ever After. You can find us on social media at Ellis ever After.
Speaker 2: And I am Kadeen, I am.
Speaker 9: And I am Daval, I'm going to Score Matt Ellis, and I'm Joshua Underscore Dwayne, and I'm at.
Speaker 7: Trips the Cool t ri ib v Z The Cool on Everything, and if you're listening.
Speaker 1: On Apple Podcasts, be sure to rate, review and subscribe and download.
Speaker 4: Thank You, Goodass.
Speaker 7: Ellis ever After is an iHeartMedia podcast. It's hosted by Kadeen and Deval Ellis. It's produced by Triple Video, Production by Joshua Dwane and Matthew Ellis, video editing by Lashan Roe.
Speaker 3: B B.
Speaker 5: Took a.
Speaker 7: Bad tokon B Bad tog