Speaker 1: Welcome to the Tutor Dixon Podcast. Today we have with us the administrator of the US Environmental Protection Agency, also known as the EPA, Secretary, Lee Zelden, Secretary, Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's great to be back with you, Tutor.
Speaker 1: I know where I'm so excited because this is like a totally new role for you. We had you on here before now, and I've worked with you throughout the campaign. I saw you out there every day, and I feel like every time I saw you, if I was on a zoom with you, you were in the car. So you definitely you definitely earned this post. I just want you to know because we saw how hard working you were when you were campaigning, but also just what you've done since it's this entire administration just went off running. As soon as they got their posts, they went out running, and you came to Michigan. So tell us a little bit about what that was like, because I think most people know the story of Flint and the water crisis here, and I think it's meaningful to the folks here in the state that you came here first.
Speaker 3: I wanted to get to Flint as soon as possible, and last Thursday, I was in Flint and Arbor. In Flint, they've been operating under an emergency order now for about a decade or so, and so much has been done to improve infrastructure to respond to this crisis, and it's just so amazing to see how much progress has been made that all of America was watching, and the residents of Flint went through a lot to get to this moment. And this is a point in time where we should be nervous about the future as if levels of government are going to disengage. It's clear that that engagement is going to be staying for a very long time. The federal EPA is going to be engaged in Flint for a.
Speaker 2: Very long time. This moment is a moment for celebration.
Speaker 3: This is a moment of a great progress and the water quality is amazing right.
Speaker 1: Now, and it is a time for celebration. Also, I think it is meaningful to the folks there because that's not typically a city that goes red. It doesn't go for the Republican and I think there was some concern across the country that once the President got into office that he would say we're going to ignore the blue areas, and this being one of the first places that you visited. I'm just going to reiterate very meaningful and we here in the state of Michigan are very appreciative that you came out here. But I want to get into some of the other things that you're doing, because you're kind of on the front line of doge in what you're cutting out, because there has been a massive amount of waste that's gone through the EPA, and I think it's kind of easy to get it through the EPA because it's that feel good place where all we're doing this for the environment, we're taking we're very green. So tell us a little bit about what you've found.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: EPA has a very important mission and we have a lot of amazing people who work here who want to ensure that there's clean air, land, and water for Americans all across the country. And we don't just terminate as you just point out your question about Flint. Doesn't matter whether you're from a red state, a blue state, of purple state where we're right now in Los Angeles with the agency's largest wildfire response ever where in East Palestine, Ohio, Western North Carolina. We just got a mission assignment in Kentucky, what is important is that we do it as efficientally and.
Speaker 2: Effectively as possible.
Speaker 3: And when I was going through the Senate confirmation process, there was a video that came out of somebody who was working as a political appointee here at the EPA talking about how they were throwing gold bars off the Titanic, trying to get billions of dollars out the door prior to inauguration day.
Speaker 2: So these senators were asking.
Speaker 3: Me, if you're confirmed, are you going to make it a top priority to get answers as to what he's talking about. I said absolutely, And as soon as I was confirmed, working with my team, we set out to find where the gold bars were that he was talking about, and we found twenty billion dollars parked at a bank just outside of government. The issue was that the second half of twenty twenty four is that they had tens of billions of dollars here at the EPA, and they even have the ability to get it out, but they wanted to get it out before inauguration, so they put it at the bank. There was a financial agent agreement with Treasury that was tying EPA's hands behind its back. There was an account control agreement with EPA where EPA was voluntary voluntarily tying its hands behind its back, and a lot of self dealing and conflicts of interest. There's a story that just came out earlier today where somebody who was involved in the council involved responsible for putting this whole package together, sends twenty million dollars.
Speaker 2: To her employer.
Speaker 3: There was somebody who was the director of the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund who gave five billion dollars to his former employer where he left to enter the Biden administration. Ac Abrams's NGO received two billion dollars.
Speaker 2: It's a brand new ngo. They had only received one hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty three, and in twenty twenty four they got two billion. So when you read the grant agreement to Stacy Abrams's NGO, on page one, it gives them twenty one days to distribute two billion dollars, which is not the craziest part.
Speaker 2: On page seven, it gives them ninety days to.
Speaker 3: Complete a training called how to develop a budget. Now, if you need to complete training on how to develop a budget, you should be completing that training before you're spending the first dollar and you certainly shouldn't be handed two billion dollars up front and given three weeks to distribute it. This is just the tip of the iceberg. We're just scratching a surface here in this conversation. I have ensured with our efforts even far beyond this, that we've been able to save not just tens of millions, but more with certain grants that are not going to go out the door, that do not fulfill statutory obligations, that do not fulfill the mission, the core mission. And it's important for us to be good stewards of the tax dollars. That was my pledge to Congress, that's my pledge to the American public.
Speaker 1: Well, so let me be clear. I want to reiterate what you just said, because here are friends of Biden, and that that needs to be made very clear. These are friends of Biden. This is a failed gubernatorial candidate in Georgia, Stacey Abrams. Failed candidate, but invited to DGA events as a governor. She was invited to all of the gubernatorial events like she was actually the governor. Stacy Abrams was then given her organization was given two billion dollars to spend in twenty one days.
Speaker 2: Two billion to spend in twenty one days.
Speaker 1: This is a new organization only ever received one hundred dollars into the org clearly not experienced in spending tens of thousands of dollars billions of dollars, let alone two billion dollars. How much of our taxpayer money has been thrown to the friends of the Democrats.
Speaker 3: Well, you're talking about twenty billion dollars that were sent to this bank outside of government. That's not the only expenditure. There's also money. There's other moneies that EPA was responsible for pushing out that I don't believe should have gone out. There was fifty million dollars, for example, sent to the Climate Justice Alliance. Climate Justice Alligance says the climate justice goes through Goz, it goes through a free Palestine. There are people who say who they advocate for the term environmental justice, talking about how there are communities that have been left behind, where there are issues that need to be dealt with. I agree that there are communities in America that have been left behind that have important environmental issues that have to be dealt with. But the problem is when in the name of environmental justice instead of spending the dollar on actually remediating the environmental issue in that community, we are instead sending tens of millions of dollars to some group that says the climate justice.
Speaker 2: Goes through a free Palestine.
Speaker 3: I think Americans would want that fifty million dollars to be spent. If it can be spent in the name of environmental justice, it should be spent remediating issues in these communities that have actually been left behind.
Speaker 1: But that's what I mean about waste frauda and an abuse. When you look at your organization, I mean, when you look at your agency, you have the Environmental Protection Agency sending money through Gaza under the guise of environmental justice, but it looks a lot like money laundering.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So in the case of Climate Justice Alliance, this is an entity here in the US but advocating that the path to climate justice goes through a free Palestine. The money that went out to the twenty billion dollars that we're just talking about, I believe that the funds should be returned to government that EPA needs to re establish oversight over this. I'll give you one other example. The Clean School Bus program gave one hundred and sixty million dollars to a Canadian ev school bus company. They then declared bankruptcy and they still haven't delivered ninety five million dollars worth of school buses to fifty five school districts. The money was given up front, the twenty billion dollars that we were just talking about, That money was all given out upfront. I'm someone who believes that when money is given out, it should be tied to performance. That the school bus company makes a school bus, and then you pay them for the school bus. And if something with the negotiation they received some partial payments along the way, then okay, we can negotiate. But the idea of giving one hundred and sixty million dollars up front, what happens if they declare bankruptcy and they still haven't delivered ninety five million dollars worth of school buses to fifty five districts, which is exactly what happened in this case.
Speaker 1: But how did they declare bankruptcy with that money? That money was there to ensure that wouldn't have happened. So that's it completely ridiculous. And I hear what you're saying, but I gotta tell you. We owned a steel foundry, and nobody ever said to me, you know what, I'm going to pay you upfront for the job, and I hope the castings arrived. I don't know that many people in manufacturing that get paid ahead of time. In fact, oftentimes you have long payment terms with people like I mean, oftentimes we didn't get paid for seventy five days after we shipped a product. You've got to be kidding me that the government is paying in advance. And I don't believe the government is paying American companies like that in advance. And I will just say that we had a similar situation in ann Arbor where we bought we spent millions on a bunch of school buses and guess what. Those school buses didn't run come wintertime in Michigan, and it was a disaster for the district.
Speaker 2: Kids couldn't get.
Speaker 1: Places, They had to go back to the gas powered buses. I mean, this is all, it's all total first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and your point is absolutely right, And I'm stating the same exact thing in the case of using this Canadian electric vehicle school bus company as an example. That is why we don't give out money. We should not be giving out money upfront. It's important that it is directly tied to performance and also the way that these funds are overseen. If the government is saying that the government of the United States is not able to distribute tens of billions of dollars, what kind of logic arrives at the conclusion that Stacy Abrams's organization would distribute that two billion dollars better than the government can and the money and listen, it was their words, not mine. They were referring it to tossing gold bars off the Titanic, And in that video they were also saying that they were distributing the money with an eye towards getting themselves jobs at the recipient NGOs. And what we're finding is a lot of self dealing and conflicts of interest where in fact money went to you entities where the people who were involved in the process of getting the money funded and distributed were benefiting from it as well. I have a big problem with that, with that practice that should not be allowed. And lastly, I have a problem with the concept of money going outside the government and going through pass throughs to go through other pass throughs to eventually get to a grantee. And in this case, once the money went through, so it's only eight primary recipients received twenty billion dollars. The account control agreement with EPA was only with those eight primary recipients. Once the money passed through those eight primary recipients, EPA wasn't even a party to the account control agreement.
Speaker 2: And I'll give you one more point.
Speaker 3: And I know it sounds like we're getting a little bit in the weeds with some of the terms I'm using. There was something in the account control agreement called a.
Speaker 2: Notice of exclusive control.
Speaker 3: If I send to Citybank a notice of exclusive control, so EPA would re establish control over the funds.
Speaker 2: It actually triggers new rights, new powers.
Speaker 3: On the part of the grantee, where they then can tell the bank, I want you to send my money to this other bank. So it's not that I do notice of exclusive control and the money is returning to the United States government and the taxpayers. It's not even that states at City Bank, the grantees have a new power to move their money somewhere else.
Speaker 2: And this is all done by design. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Stick around for more coming up with Administrator Lee Zelden. But first let me tell you about my partners at IFCJ. After more than a year of war, terror and pain in Israel, there is still a great demand for basic humanitarian aid. The International Fellowship of Christians and Jews has supported and continues to support those in the Holy Land still facing those lingering horrors of war, and those who are in desperate need right now. Your ongoing monthly gift of forty five dollars will provide critically needed aid to communities in the North in the South that have been devastated by the ongoing war. Your generous donation each month will help deliver to those in need, including evacuees and refugees from war torn areas, first responders and volunteers, wounded soldiers, elderly Holocaust survivors, families who've lost everything, and so many more. You can provide hope during a time of great uncertainty. Give a gift to bless Israel and her people by visiting SUPPORTIFCJ dot org. That's one word, it's SUPPORTIFCJ dot org, or you can call it's eight eight eight four eight eight IFCJ eight eight eight four eight eight IFCJ that's eight eight eight four eight eight four three two five stay tuned. We've got more after this.
Speaker 2: It blows my mind.
Speaker 1: I know we're at the end of our time together, but I just want to say, I want to go back for a second to those payment terms, paying in advance. I mean, essentially, this must be going on across the entire agency, because you just told us that this Stacy Abrams organization got two billion dollars and they were told spend it in twenty one days. You can't even build a relationship in twenty one days. And we never had a wee thirty day terms were really good for us at our factory. If we got paid thirty days after we shipped, pretty standard was sixty days twenty one days. They had to spend it all. That means they put everything, all their cards out before they even knew who they were dealing with or something else very nefarious was going on.
Speaker 2: Right, and that practice ends now. This is a new day.
Speaker 3: We're not going to be providing these grant funds up front, and that's one of the reforms that we have. We're talking about this clean the Clean school Bus program as a five billion dollar program. Four billion dollars of it's already been distributed, but a billion of it hasn't been, and we're not going to distribute these funds in a way that is fronting all the money to these organizations. And that's just one example. It's like this across the board, and it's an important practice beyond time after we're gone or today or the next day and some other agency.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, everyone should be happy to hear that there are people that are actually looking at how the taxpayer dollars are being spent. I've said for a few weeks now, as I've been looking at everything that's coming out with DOJE and how we're even spending in the state of Michigan, man, politicians are acting like this is play money, but this is our money. So we appreciate the fact that you're taking it seriously and you're going to make sure you're safeguarding where our funds are going and hopefully hopefully fewer of our funds are going to go out and the American people get to keep more.
Speaker 3: Amen.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Secretaries Leezelden. We appreciate having you on today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tutor absolutely, and thank.
Speaker 1: You all for joining us on the Tutor Dixon podcast. For this podcast and others, go to the iHeartRadio, app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts and join us next time. Have a blessed day,