Speaker 1: And That's What You Really Missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome to and That's What You Really miss Podcast. A very special special special guest Santa.
Speaker 1: Who do we have, Kevin?
Speaker 2: We have Brad Foulchuck, one of the creators and writers of Glee. He birthed us. Without him, who would we be? We'd be nothing nothing. He has remained a constant friend, source of stability. He's a wonderful human being and also wildly talented. Wildly talented. He has a new show on Netflix called Brother's Son. You should go watch it. We're going to talk about it. He's just very, very good and a very good person and so lucky that we got to work with him for so long and still can call him a friend. So here is Brad Faultchuck.
Speaker 1: He doesn't even have an alias. He just comes on as Brad felt Chuck.
Speaker 2: Why would you have an alias?
Speaker 1: Because he's famous.
Speaker 2: I Jenna thinks you should have a zoom alias.
Speaker 3: While you know, people come in and they were like, you know, they picked like Harry Potter or something.
Speaker 2: Who are you zooming with?
Speaker 1: I don't know. You know, some people come in with weird names.
Speaker 4: We travel. I've an alias, but not on zoom. On zoom, I assume they know who like they like.
Speaker 2: Somebody sent me the link to get on the zoom.
Speaker 1: Okay, enough, I went to the zoom.
Speaker 4: It was executives and stuff and a couple of writers and there was a bunch of people in the meeting, and about a third of the way in, somebody from their side was sort of texting our sides saying, who's the guy in the corner, and we're like, I have nobous with you, and he goes a dude, know that a meeting with those executives like the next day, but somehow it got in the link and got into the meeting and then just figured, I guess it's just stay, So just stay. I was like, excuse me, you, I think you should leave.
Speaker 2: I want to know how that meeting went the next day, like, hey, it.
Speaker 4: Was some animated thing he was pitching. I think they didn't work with him, because yeah, the first thing he'd say is I'm sorry, what am I doing here?
Speaker 1: I don't belong here?
Speaker 2: Or just leave, leave and send an email.
Speaker 1: This isn't my meeting, wildy, It's good to see it, good to see you.
Speaker 4: Neither of you.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's the problem for acting. We fall into no man's life.
Speaker 3: You're supposed to be adults now, but yeah, you're still children.
Speaker 2: I'm somewhere between twenty five and thirty five.
Speaker 1: I swear I'm a mom.
Speaker 2: I swear when I'm in thirties.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: No, one buys it though. Look at that beautiful wood paneling. Where are you, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, are we have we built like a barn in our back for to have an office and to build it.
Speaker 1: You were renovating when we were there the last time, right started right.
Speaker 4: Before COVID, Yeah, and stuff, and so my usual office. I don't know that meetings right raised in my closet.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was thinking this was.
Speaker 4: Maybe inappropriate to everybody looking at my clothes. I came to the bar.
Speaker 1: I love when you're in your closet.
Speaker 4: That's all about. It'suickly. It's all bad, isn't it.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Before we get to Glee, we need to talk about is it the number two show on Netflix currently?
Speaker 4: It is? Globally?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, it is, that's right. The Brother's Son. Yeah, congrats, thanks.
Speaker 1: I mean I finished it in two days, thank you.
Speaker 4: Excellent. It's designed to be finished quickly. It's designed for Netflix to be binged.
Speaker 1: Very good, very good.
Speaker 2: I mean, what a stacked ass show and it has how do you Jenn and I were just talking about it because she's like, I don't know how to even like describe the genre of show. Yes, because it has everything. How do you describe it?
Speaker 4: It's like, I guess you call it like an action a comedy, gangs, family action comedy. My rule is always and it always has been because at least the same is whatever the tone it needs to be right now, have it be that tone, and if it's true, you're going to be able to put them all together, like how people react the way they should react. So if you need it to be funny and they react it's funny, then then it'll work. As long as it's actually funny. And if it's you want to get emotional, you can get emotional. If you want to have just a lot of fun action, you can do it. As long as as long as it's it's sort of true to the moment, then you can get away with it.
Speaker 2: My brother doesn't text me about shit, and he text me about the show and I was like, oh, Timmy's watching brother son and they did it. Thank you reached the straight right male audience in the forties. Yeah, I was like, this is weird. I don't I'm like, what are you doing text me about a show Brad worked on. I don't know.
Speaker 3: But it's an all Asian writers room, all Asian cast, well mainly Asian cast. Like, that's so cool, thanks, and it means so much to me personally. It means so much. It's really special to see. And then it's reaching the masses and reaching Timmy McHale, that's powerful, Like that's exciting, you know.
Speaker 4: That was the intention was to make something that everybody could enjoy, but Asian people would be like, my goodness, I see me, I see me. It's not Asian. We can see like I see you now, I understand you. That was the intention, and it only works. It's also the Tim Michael's the world also love it because we have to have lots of people for it for it to be a real success. So the passion built in.
Speaker 1: Well, it's got everything.
Speaker 3: It's got a little bit of everything, and there's a lot of action, a lot of really good fight scenes, a lot of really goory deaths, but like also a family story, right, it's like the brother and a mother and a crazy father and it's really really well done.
Speaker 1: I'm really excited for you.
Speaker 4: And that was sort of the same thing if we look at it, you know, I know we're talking directly too. Is that the best musical numbers on Glee were the ones that had a story behind them where you something about And so the action sequences in The Brother's Son were always it's like, this has to tell the story about the character in some way. This has to push the plot forward in some way. It can't just be let's do another number, you know.
Speaker 1: And so another fight sequence.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's just say it be fun. We can do the fighting. It's like, well, unless there's some emotional reason to have this happen, you're not really going to care. And so that was the that was always my approach to that.
Speaker 2: How was it working on a show with so much action? I feel like we did we to be the most we did it on Glee.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing, right, I mean.
Speaker 2: I mean it looks quite different, So I guess from your standpoint, it's the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's okay, we have on the script this is what's going to happen. And then you go to the professional so start coordinators with a choreographer saying, Okay, what's this really going to be?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Then you put the actors through it where they're rehearsing and rehearsing and rehearsing, and then you go shoot it knowing that it's going to be pieces and how long it's going to take. I mean, the difference was obviously with some of the Glee musical numbers. You're shooting in the choir room, then you know, you have a much more set space, and if you're shooting somewhere else, you know, and on a location, you're going to be a little bit wilder and have a little more room to play. But it's basically the exact same weight you know, approach to shooting very very similar, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that big fight scene with like the meeting of all like the ghosts and everybody, that must have taken a really long time.
Speaker 4: Surprisingly, I think I think we shot that whole thing, including the dialogue, in four days. We did. We did it. We were shooting with a first and second there at the same time, so something downstairs and something to the side, and it was because it's the first season show, so we didn't have the money to take two weeks to shoot something like that, so totally and it was pretty It was a pretty big achievement to Shore days with the dialogue and you know when you're shooting around light alone takes a day.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, there's just a lot of people, you guys had.
Speaker 5: It's like a big cast at that point.
Speaker 2: There's one thing we can do. It's a big cast.
Speaker 1: A lot of painting, a.
Speaker 2: Lot of painting, Like, oh, I know how to do this, leave it to me.
Speaker 1: Well, everybody go watch brother Son.
Speaker 3: I'm like, it's really really fun and there's just something for everybody.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I like and it's very easy to watch and it flies by.
Speaker 4: It's very proud of you.
Speaker 2: You should be so proud. It's such a great show and everybody loves it, like the most universally liked thing.
Speaker 4: I'll take it.
Speaker 5: Let's just talk abugly for a little bit. Okay, just a touch a little bit.
Speaker 2: If you're ready.
Speaker 4: I'm ready, I'm ready. Please, How can I help?
Speaker 2: First of all, let me just say that is Brad's like default setting, which I think people should know about you, is that how can I help? Which you meet a lot of people in this business who don't do, not think or talk like that. And Brad is always the first one to say how can I help and means it. And you're wildly successful. You've been doing this for a while now and you don't have to be that nice and you always are and it's very much appreciated.
Speaker 4: Thank you, and thank you.
Speaker 1: The world should know. Brad would be the first one that we would go to.
Speaker 4: That's lots of thank you.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 4: Does I think, I don't know? I think I think you. I'm always I always appreciate it. Put focus on process, not results, So the results full comedy focus on process and that processes how's everybody's experience of doing whatever we're doing? M and so well, I think when you think about things that way, it's like, yeah, helping everybody is the way to get to making everybody you know, to results. And so I don't know, And also like this is an insane thing that we've all chosen to do right, and so we have to support you. And also when you become the old person, have a response to.
Speaker 2: Her to lead. You're not there yet, You're not the old person.
Speaker 4: I will say in all the movies, you know, the old you know, the old sense who gets killed Like I'm that I'm that kind of like that's no.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, you're not there yet. Try but we like your wisdom. We will take your wisdom, We'll take your kindness. Uh take us back. So you and Ryan worked on niptok together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well right, and then he hired me as a staff writer is the lowest position on the writing staff.
Speaker 2: So this show talked about it come up.
Speaker 3: So then how the hell did you you guys do Glee together and you guys were co writing and showrunner.
Speaker 1: Did you just click? Like what happened?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think I think it's I mean that we we clicked creatively right away. You know, in a writer's room, you're sort of all sitting around the table and everybody's pitching, and it was a really strong writer's room, and it suck. But I sort of gravitated to to sitting by Ryan, and we just had a real creative connection. You know, I think we were we were both I was obviously, you know, learning at that point. I mean, he was a true mentor to me and and still remains that. But but there was some way in which that we compliment each other creatively that is I think really clear to both of us, and also something where we also were going to develop a real friendship because we compliment each other personally, and that you guys know, like Ryan and I couldn't be more different.
Speaker 2: It's it's you guys are like the odd couple, or like you see people in a relationship, or you have nothing in common but they work somehow. Yes, I don't understand difference.
Speaker 4: It's you know, I think we had a complete respect for the way the other person was, and and a and a and a delight in the way the other person was right, and also an understanding that like there were things that he m ways that he was that I really needed to to really strengthen myself, and I think he saw the same thing and me, there are ways that I am that he really needs to strengthen himself. And so we got we've developed this friendship. And also you know, I love to sit and write, and Ryan is an excellent writer. He doesn't love to sit and write. So we created a pilot together called Pretty Handsome that didn't go and uh, and then afterwards he was ready disappointed, and I said, you know, I think there's something better. I have a feeling that this is a reason why this know is happening, so something better can come along. And then Ian came in with Glee shortly after that. It wasn't very long after that, and then and then Ryan said, Hey, I met this guy and this is thing and Fox kind of wants a musical thing. Let's do this all together. You're gonna love Ian. And then we met Ian, and I was Ian. Everyone knows it's the most lovable, impressive.
Speaker 1: And the three of you couldn't be more different, But.
Speaker 2: I like the perfect middle between.
Speaker 4: You two. He just is. He is one of the most unique people I have ever met who is not who is not unable to function in society like he is highly functioning. And usually you get that unique and it's somebody it's like they can't they can't put the ants on. They certainly can't be kids and at home and had these wildly successful uh A writer, but he is that, he's like, he has the familion ability. And so the three of us together had this quality uh in terms of really enjoying each other as people and also bringing very very different creative strengths to the show, which we've talked about more about about Ryan sort of having these really big, incredible ideas and Ian being able to write the funniest stuff ever and preferring to dig into no I without you know, I also wrote plenty of other stuff like each other, but me trying to dig him to more of the emotional stuff that I like the best.
Speaker 3: This is why I like working with Kevin. It's a similar thing. It resonates. We are similar, but we are very different. We work very differently. There are things he's very good at that I could not care less about, and vice versa.
Speaker 1: So maybe we'll.
Speaker 3: Do something as successful as you guys in the future, to be the Ryan and Brad of the world.
Speaker 1: I believe I'm just manifesting that kebsolutely.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now that Brent said, how can I help.
Speaker 4: Any time?
Speaker 2: You know you've entered a pitch room. Actually, we're not even recording a podcast. We're just gonna sit with.
Speaker 1: You for a couple of times in the corner.
Speaker 2: Jenna and I are very different, but Ian's more functioning than I am in public. You know, I don't know, you're a pretty.
Speaker 5: Funny guy, very funny.
Speaker 2: I was going to say so. Ian's original script was very different from what Glee ended up being. And Ryan talked to us about how he had sort of this vision of what it could be when he came to you with it, how far along and his mind, if you remember, was that sort of reworking of the script or was that something you guys did together, were like, Okay, here's a foundation of what we have of inspiration of Ian's og thing, what can this be for network television?
Speaker 4: I honestly don't remember. I know that I never ready in screenplay because we were just I think there were I think I think, I think that the Sandy Ryerson character was in there in some way, but it was more.
Speaker 1: Uh pronoun the wead dealer, right, it was much.
Speaker 4: Darker pedophilia and yeah, I mean very Ian, Yes, yeah, And I can't I know that that is the truth, that Ryan had a vision for what this could be, which was which which which relied at least on tone, like he knew the tone of the show, right, And so in terms of breaking the story, I just don't remember specifically, but I would guess that I would guess, knowing how we worked that by the time it came in to write the pilot that Ryan had some some some some pretty strong beats already in his head right and then and I don't I don't know if he if he had, he couldn't have had a vision for the tone, tone of what the show actually became, because so much of that came out in the writing and this weird combination of us. But he always knew. He always knew, like and at the beginning, someone needs to know that's it, that's not it, And that was sort of him. And he knew something that was too far gone or something that was like in the mall park. He just like this than this, and and we all three got that pretty quickly. So it never didn't really turn into it never really turned into something different, like we were all we all ended up being the same page. But I think Ryan was the original sort of north Star to say it's it's sort of towards here because there's so many there's so many different ways that could have gone. I mean, any didn't want it to be high school musically, didn't want it to be rock and or high school. He didn't want it to be a more familiar musical or more familiar high school show.
Speaker 1: You know, right, We're all not those things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's interesting because Ryan When Ryan came on, we talked about him going from you guys, going from Niptuck sic Glee to like running these empires essentially and being showrunners with very little experience running one hundred you know, guiding and managing hundreds of people.
Speaker 1: I'm curious for you, like becoming a showrunner from being hired as a staff writer. Like what that experience was.
Speaker 3: Like for you, and like what what you've learned you know, from Niptok all the way to like brother son, Well, Brian.
Speaker 4: Is very I don't know if it precocious the right word. He he he. He is somebody who, even at a very young age, had a lot of skills that that most people don't have. His ability to run shows he sort of just had magically in a way as I think I've had to learn it, and so I had sort of a lot from him. My way of doing it is a little bit different, like we are just we're just, as I said, different personalities, so a little bit different. But so much of what I know, everything of what I know about how to make a TVV show and run a TV show, I learned from him. And He's the only real show and I've ever worked for with So I think that I think that it's obviously lots of failure and trial and error, and through the American Horror Story and Glee and Posey, you learn so many things by doing things wrong, and you learn about yourself and about Again I said earlier, it's about what's the process, and and the showrunner determines the tone and the process. That's the show owner's job. It's like, this is the show, this isn't the show, So this is the tone and you have that in your head always, And how is the how is this world that we are creating of human beings working? How is that going to feel to everybody? And so you know, I have, while while learning how to do the technical things of it, my my goal has always been I want to make sure that everybody leaves this process feeling like that was one of the best experience they've ever had. And and that's that's been you know, But that that happens by learning, That happens by making sometimes making mistakes so that it isn't And certainly there was lots of examples in Glee of that happening.
Speaker 6: Right, So I'm not I'm not I'm not a prodigy, you know, I think I'm a really good writer, and I think I'm a very good, relatively good.
Speaker 4: Uh leader, But I think I needed I needed time to really to get the mistakes out and learn. And so that's experience. Experiences everything, failures, everything failing, failing, failing, and being in a space where it's safe enough to fail, and being in a space we have people around you that are letting you fail and supporting you when you're not. And we had a lot of support from the network and from each other, uh and you know, even from all of you guys too, I think, and you really were very forgiving of all of our mistakes.
Speaker 1: And well, we were brand new too.
Speaker 5: We were learning so much. You know, we were learning so much. But you guys were great, you were fearless leaders. And thanks.
Speaker 4: We tried, and yeah, it was hard.
Speaker 1: It's really hard.
Speaker 2: There's a normal TV show that runs normally and then you created this brand that blew up all over the world. And so it's like, well, I just like what is that like? During Glee, like I was just I'm a writer. I'm just a writer. That's what I signed up for. Created the show and now they're going on tour and now they're they're on ritz cracker boxes and we're after the Super Bowl. Like from your standpoint, like, what was going on in your head during all of that, Like, how does that feel?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Oh, this thing I created became this massive success, but also, uh, now we're in the deep into something else.
Speaker 4: I mean, honestly, if I look back on it, I I it was so much that I was so I think. I mean, by that point, by Temm creating Glee, I was already that you know, We've been a few years into Tucks, So I was an epn names. I directed a lot of episodes of we were really producing that show and a lot more responsibility. So I understood, you know, a lot about about running and about certainly I understood a lot about producing and directing and writing TV. So that part was pretty clear. But then you know, success is you know, managing success is a is a separate from any experience you have that's about you as a human being, right, And where are you? What place are you in as a human being? Can Are you in a place where you can be measured about what's happening? Are you a place where you're going to be affected by the what's coming in from the outside, world, and I don't. I think I struggled to be measured. I think because I was just confused, like what's happening and like you said, it's big, and what part of this is me and taking credit to myself for this? Should I feel better about myself about this? Should I demand more for this? What? What? Why? Why does it feel not feel good? Why does this feel better than this? And so it's just a really confusing moment. I just think I think success more than success, real success and real failure is a thing that brings out all of your stuff. Who you are is determined by how you behave in success and failure and so and so the learning experience of what it meant to be that kind of successful through Glee was really helpful to me to sort of be understanding who I am, what was important to me with my values were because you get caught up in the values that aren't yours, about ego and money and power and influence and fame. It's like, those are those are not at my core, not my values. But it's so hard not to be caring about that stuff when there's so much coming your way. So the answer is it was chaos, and it was chaos. When all that was happening, You're also trying to make twenty episodes of a show that's almost impossible to make at the same time, and there's three of us reading every episode, and we're directing multiple episodes at the same time, and Niptuck is still going on, and then American Hart Story starts. So it was it was chaos. It was with a marriage foling part at the same time, like really great stuff. It was really good.
Speaker 2: I wasn't going to say that exactly, but I was going to say, I don't understand how you guys wrote forty four episodes without anybody else, on top of managing the business of it all, on top of doing Niptok, on top of American Horror Story starting. It was hard for us, and we we had a very like being an actor, it's pretty cut and drive, what your responsibility is? You on the other side of it, had a slew of responsibilities all over the place, and we could barely manage our personal lives. So I don't know how any of you had any sort of life outside of just work. Like I just like they must be sleeping in their offices because I don't know, like, what would you were juggling.
Speaker 4: We were fortunate to have each other, right, Like, like the three of us were really you know, not to be not to sound arrogant about it, were really really good at our jobs. Like we could break it down really quickly. Ryan was really fast at breaking episodes, and he and I were really fast at writing, so we could you know, you know, we could do a lot. We can We can do an episode in a week that we had to be doing three days that we had, So we didn't often do that, but we could. So we were able to stay sort of on target because each of us did what we had to do very well. If you took any one of us out of that equation, we would have been in trouble, which I've left in and on our own, we would have been in trouble. If you just run on his own, he would have been in trouble. If you take Anan out, I would have really struggled and Ryan would have really struggled. So so was that and then and where are the parties? Like I would get up really early in the morning and I would I would cook dinner with my daughter for that night. So home we would then you know, hang out and we have dinner made, and then I bath at bedtime, and then after all that, I would start writing for the night, and I'd stay up till whatever, till eleven thirty or midnight writing and then you get it up in the morning. You do the same thing again, and you just find time different. I just found times at the time to do it, and because we were pretty efficient at what we were working on, we could do it. And then you know, making sure not to direct too many episodes so that I wasn't away from home and the kids too much, and having the kids come to the set, which you guys remember around now.
Speaker 2: You just are usual humans now.
Speaker 1: Make it work. Yeah, and adults, it's crazy. You guys made it work. You have to make it work.
Speaker 4: You don't, you know, don't hope and there's a problem. But we none of us were people that thought it was appropriate to stay in a writer's room until nine pm. It's just not what we did. Go have a life, go have dinner, or goat see your kids, all those things. And we just all had to set shared that value. It was like, no, let's get this done now, and let's get it done in a smart way. So if we broke one story of a day. Let's not keep going. We got it. We let's move on. And again, we were just really lucky to have each other and uh and to understand the show, and then also to have you guys where we know you guys can pull it off.
Speaker 1: That's very nice.
Speaker 2: We most have been asses though we were because we were probably you're getting our text emails, We're like, what is happening with this thing and that thing?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it was funny.
Speaker 4: No, I mean no, you guys, you guys were I know.
Speaker 2: It doesn't feel so silly now. It feels so dumb to look back and be like, I don't have a song this week. It's like, you guys are you families?
Speaker 4: But you know, but but you need all that, right, you need attention that because because we're we're dealing with casts and trying to stay ahead of the things and we're not thinking of everything. And if and if Jenna hasn't had a song in a few episodes, well that's wrong because not because we like Jenna went over the that the audience wants to see Jana sing, so she should remind us that because otherwise we're just gonna just not roll Yet, you know what's spend that many episodes? We don't, you know, it's not top of mind.
Speaker 1: There's eighteen of us.
Speaker 2: A lot of us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, multiplying, Yeah, it was you guys weren't paying that. You two certainly weren't paying.
Speaker 3: The Sometimes we have guest guest stars on and you know, some like Damien and Samuel and you know, all those guys and we.
Speaker 1: Have to ask them like were we nice to you?
Speaker 5: And and I'm like, oh, thank god, truly, because there were some unhinged moments where you go, I could have I really could have been an.
Speaker 3: Asshole in that moment, and I don't know if I was, And I'm so grateful I wasn't.
Speaker 4: And you two were assholes to anybody who who would you ever have been assholes to you?
Speaker 3: You know, it's just your You get really comfortable with your environment. That's a second home for you. Those people you see every day, they're seeing you at crying, they're seeing you and costumes painted face, it's just crazy. So you do get comfortable with them, and I think you get sometimes you can get a little too comfortable.
Speaker 2: They's like an emotional shorthand where you can with crew members and things you can let your guard down. Fully. Yeah, she probably wouldn't normally do in professional environments, but because we were all together so often, so when someone new comes around, you're like, I don't know if I know how to be a normal functional professional.
Speaker 3: You're detective of our family and our home. Right there's you know, you have like Andrew and Penny and you're like, don't speak to them that way, or like you know, you're like, I say something to Andrew that I didn't mean because I was tired. You know, there's just things that you think about and you're like, they keep me up at nights sometimes because I'm like, I hope I was a really good person to these people because they're looking at it now hindsight, like not being on the show anymore and having enough space and time to go like, wow, look what we did, and look what they did being away from their families. Like we didn't have kids at the time, there wasn't our stakes were a little bit lower, and you know, there wasn't as much you know, time wasn't as precious to me, I think as it was to Andrew with a kid at home, so or were you with a kid at home?
Speaker 1: So there's it's it's it's different now.
Speaker 4: I just think you need to he needs to give yourself, and it's yeah, I mean you're very young, and first of all, I'm sure you didn't do anything the gregious in anyway, but but it's it's it's like except the whole thing for what it was and who you were and how it led to you being who you are now. And and definitely there mind somebody still holds a garage. But that's you know, you got to forgive yourself.
Speaker 1: There's not ours. Yeah, exactly, you're right there. He is again just.
Speaker 2: Throwing the nuggets out. Maybe he is the old sense. There was a point in season two where it felt like some of our personal things started to end up in some of the stories.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not asking you to confirm or deny how did that happen?
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, you know, like you know they say that you know these psychics that have these you know that you come to the theater and they say, I'm sensing you have and you and you find it. Actually they bug the lobby. I want to talk to my dead mom. They know we just you know, we were on the set with you guys and we would listen and you'd say something would say a light and that like I'll steal that, or you about your personal life and say that's there's something rich there that we can play with. And so it was absolute theft. It was just in this theft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I have to say it was funny like during season two, every week some would open the script and be like you'd hear it, no, like, oh shit, it's that weak.
Speaker 4: I think it's part of what we responded to the show is there was something just so personal to everybody a bout and then you guys would play whatever it was with so much fun and with such a wink like you never you never played it the way it actually was happening to you in your life, and you've got that there was something. We were doing a fun version of that, and hopefully it helped process whatever was going on. But we you know, we had to do a lot of episodes that you've got to find story ideas somewhere, and it's funny, that's something to us, and we were on the set. We would run back to the office. You're like, you're not going to believe this is.
Speaker 1: That's how it happened.
Speaker 2: I'm glad it was that exciting because I would hope it would be like that.
Speaker 1: You guys, you listen to this ship or you'd.
Speaker 4: Be writing and you know, Kemblo said something to me, and I'll be writing an already scene and like, oh this, this would be really funny if if it already says this, because what Kevin just told me, it be fun.
Speaker 2: But see, it's easy to imagine Ryan doing that because he was like very obvious about it, where we'd be like, look at Naya do this bit and then it would end up in the show. But you're so like unassuming and ian too that it's harder to imagine you two doing it. It makes me feel better that you all were doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just wasn't. It wasn't. We weren't maybe weren't doing it as gossip he or as you know, no good at drawing it out. You were listening to what felt like a good story, and we would never have done anything to hurt you guys, or something was that was too personal that would have been difficult. Whether it's super private, but if you're you know, he happened about it on the set, sitting in the chairs like it's fair game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair that.
Speaker 2: There was one day where.
Speaker 4: There was.
Speaker 2: A producer who worked on the show that wasn't one of you three, and he came in. He told he's like, hey, I heard this about this person at that person. I was like, actually, no, that's not true at all, and then alluded to like other people talking about I was like, wait a minute, you guys, Jenna, is he trying to stir shiit up just to see how we react?
Speaker 1: Yes, And I was like looking for truth.
Speaker 2: Never confirmed true, he was looking for things, but I was like, is this how they're doing it? Is this how they're finding things? I was like, No, we were so loud and talking about everything all the time. You didn't need to be clever with us. We didn't know.
Speaker 4: No that weird to do that to try and stir it up.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, no, no, you were so we told you everything.
Speaker 4: It was great. Yeah, it was. It was a really really fun set in that way, like it really was, and you know, eighty five percent of the time was the most fun place to be. You know, yeah, problems, but for for a for a it's either it's either never fun because you're just doing work, or it's chaotic or it's fun sometimes, but this was mostly all really raw and free and easy and fun and then you know, uh, and it's pretty good numbers, I think, considering whatever part of me shorking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's what people forget, and I think people who listen to this, it's easy to remember all the sort of more negative things that may have might have come out afterwards, or eighty five percent of its joy. Yeah, it was just a blast. And we were idiots and we were getting to be clowns and sing and dance and wear wigs and mustaches like things you dream about when you were a little kid. Like we, you guys felt like you could do anything on the show and it would work because then you would throw in some really grounded, moving, heartfelt shit that really mattered, and the rest of us are like do do do do do? Look at us?
Speaker 4: And you also fully committed to anything. Frony, if you the Gaga episode, you're gonna send it to the Bully all dressed as Gag and everybody is sort of nobody is feeling like in it, like my costume, I why they have this? What I don't want it? It's like everybody is, you know, is so true we're together.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and it was I.
Speaker 4: Mean you ever sent us even two small numbers. That was a really fun time.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: And everybody was really good to each other for the most part, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, especially like somebody like Cory who across the board on the show, on this podcast in particular, there's always somebody that everybody has to say something about Corey and how he went out of his way to bring them into the group or make them feel included, or you know, was being a leader in some way. He did it so quietly that we I don't think we even realized what he was doing. But when you see Corey and like red late text with like glitter.
Speaker 3: Around his eyes, like giving you the performance of his life, You're like, I'm here, you know, like I got to do this too.
Speaker 4: Yeah. That's really that's true leadership. I mean, were you really were all leaders there? You really were, some louder than others. But I do think the way that everybody acted and encouraged everyone else to to to push themselves and to have fun and all that. And before you obviously he really he really was. I never would tell you what to do. He was the kind of leader that you just knew were counting on energetically to to sort of steer everybody in the right place and keep everybody in line in the right way, and always a sense of humor. And you know, yes, I just I don't think you can find anybody who worked on that show that didn't wouldn't pick him as as somebody who who.
Speaker 1: Was kind to him, you know, ye, yep, totally did.
Speaker 2: You did you know he was doing that sort of behind Like we just found out recently with you know, like the newer cast members that came onto the show, that he would take them out to lunch and check in with them and make sure they're okay, And we had no idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't remember. I can't remember if I knew. I mean, I don't think so, because he just wasn't He wasn't publicizing that. That wasn't no thing at all, and he wasn't coming us and say how can I help?
Speaker 1: He just was doing it right, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: See, that's like someone like you said, were Sometimes people are just born with the gifts of how to lead or how to run things, And like there's someone right there who ye purely oozed that at all at all? Times knew how to do that, and Jenna and I were just like.
Speaker 4: You guys were leading to in your own way. He just he took a different tact. But like what we're describing about how fun it was and how together everybody felt and I committed, everyone was like you guys were leading that, you know, very specifically leading that, and like you know, there was never a night that was too late for either of you. There was never a slushy that was one too many slushies for either of you. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Well, well, well but then.
Speaker 4: There was never there's never neither of you rolls your eyes. Can we do one more? Take tims of one more? You were just great, let's do it. You know, so leadership too.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: How was that from the directing side? You obviously wrote it from the very beginning, and you started directing from the very beginning. Does that perspective of getting to work with the crew and on the set sort of then inform what you're taking back to you know, the writers room from there on out.
Speaker 4: Certainly, because then you have a much more personal relationship with you guys, and so you know where your strengths are and where areas that maybe we could poke around a little bit and where places where we could you know, this place is further to grow, and so really helps a lot. There's nothing better than show running writing directly because then you're literally is nobody standing behind you saying we'll try this instead of this like you're we're from the moment of your imagination to the moment he gets on the air. You've done all of that, right, So that's the I would recommend anybody who can that. That's the goal. Uh, you want to really have some artistic control working in television and film is being able to do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you love directing? Like you started out writing? How did directing come into it?
Speaker 4: Ryan has always been great about breaking people as directors, and we were on Nip Talk. He sort of asked all the writers who wants to direct this season? And he was season three and we all put our hands up, and so he just get shot and Mike rob and Greuce Shepherd were there, and they were my problem was very very supportive of new directors, and he's a great director and sort of shepherding people and making sure they don't fail. And so just started directing, and.
Speaker 3: You know, I think you did that with Matt too, you know we did with Matt and uh and I think a few.
Speaker 4: Right now literally directed before. And so you either have the sort of skill to be able to communicate what you're trying to do to accrue into a cast. And so if you can do that and you have some vision that I think directing is is not that hard if the script is good. I mean, I love I love directing. I do not like the physical strain of directing. The hours days in a row. It's not I'm not built for that. But the but the thing of the scene that I wrote, and now we're sitting and rehearsing it and we're coming up with how to do it and then watching it and how to shoot it, that's really really fun. I probably couldn't do it for more than you know, an episode at a time here and there.
Speaker 1: It's a lot.
Speaker 2: I really loved when you directed because you were someone who I I'm like, I don't know how you how you do this? You know, watching people work at that level and all the different departments is really my boggling and humbling, Like everybody is so good at everything they're doing, and you were the only person I felt comfortable distracting, interrupting, and so like how how are you doing this? And then you'd sit there with me and be like, well, how would you set up this shot? Like how do we normally shoot weird in the auditorium? How would you do this? Like well you do the wide shot version, like yeah, and then like right, okay, there's a little formula here. They're like, yeah, you know how we do this. You could do this, But it wasn't until you know, people take the time to speak to you in that way to like work through like, oh, is this something I'm interested in? Is this I'm starting to understand this at a deeper level, which I think then helps us as actors as well understanding your point of view as the director or the writer or the showrunner, producer, whatever it may be. So it's nice to have someone in charge that takes the time to sit with a lowly subject like me to you know, talk through those things, because it also is just fascinating, like especially on Glee where you see those sets, the scale of the thing we're doing every day, and to be able to talk to people who are at you know, the pinnacle of I mean, they're the best at what they do. Right, and so to get to see that be around it feel like creative energy even if we're doing silly shit. It takes a lot of expertise to do that, and it was always very humbling to see that.
Speaker 3: I mean those guest directors, I bowed down to them now because like you're in it from an action point of view, we know the formula, we knew how to do a musical number, like we could have directed those all day and night. But I'm telling you, and you come in for the first time to do Glee, that is scary shit.
Speaker 2: Like who knows how to shoot musical?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: How do you make your days that period?
Speaker 2: Truly, it was like Beaker insults.
Speaker 4: Yes, they were really good, because you make your days by knowing what you need and by trusting yourself. Right, where people can go off the rails is if they're like, I don't know if I have it yet, so I'm going to do another one. I'm going to get another angle, because what if what if they don't have enough when they get in the edit room, you just have to know like I have it, I have it, and and when I direct it's it's There are times when we'll do one take of one angle and I say, I have it. I'm going to keep shootings. I need to edit this all together. But what really needs to happen in the scene is I need one reaction from Jenna saying this line one way and the scene will work. And the rest is just it's just you know math, and so you just have to know when that is and when the scene is really done, and then you and then you put the pieces together and then you can go. But that can be that could obviously be in one shot, that could be in twenty shots. But where the directors can really fall down is in being if you're unsure of yourself, you're screwed.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, totally screwed.
Speaker 3: Well, Jin, here's a little Lee was a family, and then you met more family. You met your wife. Yeah, the coolest.
Speaker 1: You're married to.
Speaker 3: Gwynn with Paltrow. Still I have to say her full name, but she's so cool. You guys are just so cool together. It makes sense to me, And like after meeting her and her coming on the set and being so awesome and us being like, oh, that's that was awesome.
Speaker 1: I hope she comes back again. I'm not going to ask you to get into details of Mae like, but like.
Speaker 3: What was that like meeting her and and like having your journey, you know, and like ending of literally marrying.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean when we I think what I think it was like meeting her was the same reason why many years later we ended up, you know, getting married, was that we just had a real you know. I remember the first day we were shooting, and I think she was being that marytime Lincoln thing, and it was it was one of those one of those blessed Let's story. Chris baf is incredibly talented, deep, but sometimes could be a little bit slow. Yeah, And so it was just one of those nights and so we just we were just and I think I can't remember. Ryan had to go somewhere and he was freighting, so I was I had to set that that that night, and we just started talking and it was a real ease and we were just we just became friends. And so then every time she would come back to shoot, we were excited to see each other and say, hey, how you doing, and and we just developed this really you know, comfortable friendship. Then sort of going on as the as the you know, when she wasn't there, we would just sort of send emails to each other, Hey, check this out or know the things that people do.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and.
Speaker 4: You know, we're both going through our own personal journeys at home, right or what they were. And then and then at some point we were both single and we were already really good friends, and we were like, why don't we go on a date? You know, let's see because everything we'd already talked about so much, we already knew each other so well, and there was there was never and be able to become friends like that without any of the you know, the trouble of you know, of any romantic entanglements, like two people who really like each other and are friends and now you're going on a date, and it just it just from there, it was really clear. But we just, like I said, the reason why we're married is because we like each other so much as people, I mean, other things, but that's that's the core of it. And so that was like me and her was like I like this person a lot, and she's like I like this person a lot. This guy's cool, she's cool. Let's let's be friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: You are two of the coolest people ever, very chill, and you like to together. You got Oh my god, Like going over to hang out with you guys is just so.
Speaker 1: Chill, so chill, wet, you know, a very chill environment.
Speaker 4: Welcome, can come over, sit at the table, talk about everything.
Speaker 7: Yeah, teach me about passover, teaching me exactly about whatever it may be. And you know, we just like to to share ourselves with people we care about and to bring really interesting people around and also to impart the wisdom of multiple multiple failures and mistakes too.
Speaker 1: We can't well, you guys are both really good listeners.
Speaker 3: I think that's something I've learned about the both of you, and so it makes for really a really good connection I think together, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: But also like for us and for us to talk to you, like it's just like we feel very herd and.
Speaker 5: Good for me at least, and like even you know, David, he's like, wow, I just like they're just really good people. And I feel hard and I feel seen, and like, you know, there's all this hullabaloo above, you know, the the industry and you guys and being who you are that it's very grounded, like your your home is very grounded. You guys are very grounded. So it's a testament to like I think, why you guys pair so well together.
Speaker 4: Thanks?
Speaker 3: Thanks, Yeah, but it must be really special to have like meeting Gwynneth also on your baby Glee, like just having all those really special moments kind of entangled together.
Speaker 4: It's nice. It's nice. And and thank you for saying that about us, because it really that's the that's what we're trying, and that's our intention and all of our relationships and is that people really feel seen and heard by us. And we're pretty fastidious about about, you know, making sure we're not spread too things so that we can just be with the people who really care about and people that really give all of ourselves too. And so and I'm I mean, he said, imagine I get to I get her listening to me, you know, hursing me. So what I mean, she's yeah, how could I how could I? How could I not be you know standing?
Speaker 2: You nailed it. Yeah, proud of you. You did a great job.
Speaker 4: I know, anything to show this that there I know, like, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: You crushed it. I think another like testament to people's character is how cool your kids are. And like your family, those kids, the combined kids are all just so cool and very individual and unique. And also since they were little it could sit with you and talk like they were adults. But also kids like just really well balanced.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, when the kids come to set, you're like, how old are you? Yeah, how do you know that? No, they're really cool.
Speaker 4: We love this and like nothing better now, all you know, we we each we each were able to gain me, you know, two more kids in our lives. Uh, you know. And being a step parent is his own special thing. And to be able to really raise other kids will be part of raising other kids that that aren't yours but are yours is really incredible. And and and and all four kids rely on the two of us in a very specific way. They have four parents they can all rely on, and the way they come to us, right, it's just we love it and we love them. We're all sitting at the dinner table together and they're all their own characters.
Speaker 2: They're great.
Speaker 6: Love that.
Speaker 2: It was like last time we were with you guys, and all the kids are maybe almost all the kids were there, and it was the first time we'd been with like that many of them at once, and just hearing them talk to us like this, is hilarious because also I've been a while since izing.
Speaker 4: Some of them.
Speaker 2: It's like you guys in years. I mean, I know what is happening.
Speaker 4: It's insane. They're grown ups. I mean, all this year it'll all be out as will be empty nest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no time I heard it. It seems crazy now to look back now that we're these ages and think about how, yeah, you went from being a staff writer to creating this show with Ryan, and how many shows have you done together?
Speaker 4: We did I don't care, so we worked on it together. That's his shows Pretty Handsome, which didn't go We did Glee, We did an American Horror Story. We did American Heart Stories now, which is that sort of spin off. We did Politician, did Pose, We did screen Queens.
Speaker 1: Uh huh uh. And I'm one and one long Start, Oh my god, A lot, a lot, my god.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 1: I'm also currently watching Dahmer right now.
Speaker 4: Is great.
Speaker 3: That's him and I him and Ian. Right you are still there, you know, y'all are still there. And then they had ahead in the freezer, and then your show had ahead in the freezing. I was like, you're all, it's synergistic.
Speaker 4: Here, you know, you go ahead some freezer.
Speaker 2: I love having it. Who's posting?
Speaker 6: Was it?
Speaker 2: Aaron was posting the head in the freezer? The makeup work?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, it was so great the show. It's awesome.
Speaker 3: Must be so nice to like have all of our family, you know, Gleam and I'm sure they work on and everything.
Speaker 4: That was awesome. It's always that's what's so wonderful about working long enough, and you build these relationships to people that you love working with and if you're lucky, they're free to work right.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Well, when I was shadowing Beaker on Horror Story, I got to see Brad in his office. We were they were going over tone and they were having a little tone meeting. And then like you had Penny and Ben and Andrew and you're like, I mean, what's better, what's better?
Speaker 1: And then Beaker it's like watching him do his thing. It's so cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good people.
Speaker 2: So when I did Horror Stories and you have like Buele was there, Like do you know I could just stay here forever? Yeah? It was great. And also I think that's such a beautiful thing and says a lot about all of you that there's so little turnover in that crew. People keep wanting to come back, you know, says processes.
Speaker 1: Everything focus on press, Yes has it?
Speaker 2: How has it been? You're not out on your own? You know you doing brothers son by yourself? How has that been?
Speaker 4: By It's it's it's harder, right because because you know, when you have a team, especially like one that's done so much, everybody can basically focus on what they do well and not really worry about doing the stuff you don't do well. And so when you're on your own something, you have to do all the stuff that you haven't the muscles you haven't exercised. But you know what I love is feeble to take all the wisdom and knowledge that I've gotten from working with all the great people I've worked with and then say, Okay, now I know all this stuff, how do I want to do it?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 4: How am I going to doerently? And how do I want what's really my way? And what are the stories that I really want to tell? And how do I want to tell them? And you know, in any of these partnerships, you're it's it's a great creative tension and compromise. I really love this, I really love this, So let's fight this too well let's find a compromise in there where you get to do you care more? So we should do it that way. This is no no, I'm just going to make my own choices, which is a much bigger risk is what there's nobody telling you might be wrong, But it's a great reward of seeing the you know, seeing really seeing, you know, when I see the Brothers so and I see a show that you know, I wrote it with Fironhee who's you know, my who's you know, sort of the Ian of this is coming in a nowhere who's super talented the way Ian is. But at the same time, this is an expression of the show I want to make. So as people watch this, I like to think they're seeing, Oh I kind of see now when all of that soup, I sort of see the flavor that's Brad really clearly, you know. So that's been really great. But I've also had some fighting to be you know, to you know, the things that I saw Ryan do really well, like fighting for money and for time and for things to be a certain way and and and for sets to be right and not this. But that, like all of those things, I was able to say, well, can I do that I've never done that before, but I can't. I just do it differently, you know, I'll just do it. I do it my way. And so it's been really fun to build that world. That's that's all sort of you know, my mind.
Speaker 1: I see it. I see it, and I hear your voice, and I see it and I see that it really does. It emanates you, and I love that.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you. I'm very proud of it, and I hope to having more opportunities to do that.
Speaker 1: We have some fan questions we're going to do, like one or two. I think you'll like them.
Speaker 4: These are fan questions that they write in and tell you they want to Yeah, yeah, we wrote it.
Speaker 1: We said we were having you on the show, and they wrote it and they asked you questions were like, oh.
Speaker 4: This will be the lowest rated Glee podcast.
Speaker 3: No, oh my god, stop are you kidding? We got Brad drama. Fiends wants to know which Bruce Springsteen songs do you think the show should have done.
Speaker 4: I mean, personally, don't always get on. It's just it's not exactly the match. Because the thing about Springs songs that are the best is there's just there's a longing in them and sometimes glease some really much more lie. But we did. We did uh Glory Days right for the graduation. Season three was just fun and did no surrender in the Quarterback episode, which I really fought hard for. Everyone else was like, do we need to do this? It's like give me one here. I never give me one here. I need to sit here for my own reef processing it. So we put that in there. So I think we're I think we're good. I think we did it. I think we did it. These built at these not you know, Bruce is obviously my life, and so it's not it's not they're not really built for that.
Speaker 1: Fair enough.
Speaker 2: I thought of you the other day watching the Golden Globes and Jorgo's Lantham motes one for Poor Things and Bruce rings He was sitting next to the stage and all he could do was talk to Bruce Ringsteen because he was fanning out. I was like, it's prett prep.
Speaker 4: That's what that guy. I mean anything I do is that guy. That guy, he's mine.
Speaker 2: He's good storyteller, he is something else. Yes, this is something that people keep asking us, and do you know or how we could there's unreleased songs. There's songs that never came out that we recorded. Sometimes they were shot. How do we leak those and not get sued?
Speaker 4: No, I mean there's something that probably probably can talk to Ryan about in terms of, you know, whether or not with the streaming platform there's a way to put together like with the Glee you know, when you go on Glee on Hulu, whether or not there's a way to have that be an extra or something. I don't know. If there's the problem is you'd have to like if that sand's going on there, people are already get paid, right and so everybody. Yeah, so it's not a free thing. You can't just sort of put them out.
Speaker 1: So I just thid if there was a reboot, then maybe if there was, Okay, how do you feel about that, Brad, how do you feel I want to reboot?
Speaker 4: I feel that someone else asked me this earlier, and something when I was staying publicity for own for the son is that if there was a if there was, if we can make it good, like there was a reason to do it, If there was some reason why the Glee world was needed at this time to talk about something, I would get it. But I don't quite know what that is yet. I don't say impossible, but it would need to be the Glee. Glease is the reason why Glee was successful. Besides you guys and the music and the storytelling, it was that it was a time that needed Glee. It was a transition time in terms of how other people were talking about and talking about diversity and talking about uh, gender and sexuality and all these things, and so in that sort of in between world, there was a space for us to have some fun with it. I don't know where we are with that right now, right, I don't know how you how you so much about Glee was about these underdogs and and and and I don't know if if TV underdogs like the TV underdogs inn't really.
Speaker 2: Exist mm hmmm, you know, right, yeah, I think it just looks different because there's always there's always underdogs.
Speaker 4: There's always have to find who are they? Who are they? We're going to reform? What are we trying to say?
Speaker 1: Right? What are we trying to say? That's really it?
Speaker 2: And do they sing? More importantly, I got it.
Speaker 4: That's hard that you can sing.
Speaker 2: Not all of us could. So it's fine.
Speaker 1: This is a good one. Amy read gull. I don't know how to say it.
Speaker 3: She says, do you visualize or did you visualize the ending of thee at the beginning of the show. Did you have an idea the way it was going to end?
Speaker 2: And did that?
Speaker 1: I'm sure it changed if you did.
Speaker 4: Hey, uh right, says he did. I certainly didn't. Certainly if I did, you know, what happened with Corey would have really changed that, like, would have been a big part of whatever that was. So I was really just trying to get to the next episode. And you know, seasons I thought I didn't think about at least the first three seasons. I thought about where they were ending, definitely, but the series who knows no that I didn't? Ryan says he didn't. I believe.
Speaker 1: I remember there was one, Oh it was one Nationals. I think it was the first Nationals, and I remember talking to you about and like, do we win? I'm like, where do you go from there? Jenna? You can't win? Where do you go from there? I was like, Oh, I guess that makes sense.
Speaker 4: I always thought about Rocky Rocky one, two, three, right, it was lose first, the new and second right.
Speaker 2: This makes a lot of sense. Bringing Rocky there you go story.
Speaker 4: Clearly this was the stray dude in the room with this cash.
Speaker 1: Was there a character you liked writing for the most.
Speaker 4: No, I loved all of them.
Speaker 1: Honestly, everybody.
Speaker 4: Everybody is in the moment, like every scene was generally so fun. That and and because we could have you guys do so much of anything and everybody. I don't know, I know, I love writing everybody, definitely. I mean I wrote soon, probably a couple a few times in the first season and then and then I deferred, but I didn't have a favorite.
Speaker 2: I have a question. This wasn't a fan question. Maybe should have said it was, as we're watching the show, you want to you want to go back? And oh yeah, here's a fan question. Why did you have no friends? Accept the kids in the glee club because it's creepy. Well, he asked a team to be his best man. Sir, you have no friends your own.
Speaker 4: At first, it was because his terry would never let him have friends. If he had a friend, friend would have said to him, why are you with this person?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: He sure he never had any friends, So at first it was that, and you know, it was hard. It's hard to him make friends and ohio there. I mean he I guess he had aga fellas with with what's his name, coach Tanaka, and but I think I think it was initially initially we just obviously worked and it didn't want to have a lot of stories and will out with friends like that's boring. But I would say that, I'll say the reason was just because his wife didn't let him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: I never really thought about it until he turns to Finn and it's like, will you be my best Man's like like mister shoe Pam, there's nobody else, and then the glee clubs, you're my best friends. I'm like, I don't think you should be saying we're.
Speaker 5: Like in his house, and I'm like, back in that day, I guess that that might have been okay if it was a group setting, but like these days.
Speaker 1: You can't be in a professor's house.
Speaker 2: A teacher's house was a strong word for him.
Speaker 1: Sorry teacher.
Speaker 4: My favorite is like nine or something at the time. He's so young, so he was.
Speaker 1: He's like the same. Yeah, he was like the same.
Speaker 3: We just care Corey, I think, but I thought it was funny that Matt couldn't like or mister shoe like couldn't.
Speaker 1: Really speak Spanish, but he was a Spanish teacher.
Speaker 2: Well, that's funny. It is funny.
Speaker 4: That was our That was our you know commentary on.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's this question was why was cheating always used? That's the only way to split up a couple? Yes, yeh, that's all right.
Speaker 4: Always that was the thing, and that was just good.
Speaker 2: It's like babies and breakups. He loves how many many breakups?
Speaker 4: That's all.
Speaker 1: We asked all of our people. What is the feeling that Glee leaves you with?
Speaker 4: You mean, I mean the show or like our experience doing Glee? What's the feeling? Yes, it's as you said, it feels like family. To me, it just feels like like like we went through something together that was so extraordinary and so bonding and wonderfully complicated and wonderfully simple. And you know, the warmth I feel when I see your guys faces, it just reminds me of a time of life and of an experience that we had that that I feel incredibly proud of and positive about. And the fact that you know, new generations of people are now you know, keep enjoying the show and it sort of lives on in that way. It just makes me feel proud as a legacy thing that we did something that meant a lot to people and what it meant to us doing it is. Is it even a little bit more special like it was?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 6: It was?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a family and all it's ups and downs and almost mostly ups. So family, that's the feeling. What are yours?
Speaker 1: That is a good question, Kevin, What is your feeling?
Speaker 2: Oh damn, I can't steal family, now, can I?
Speaker 4: You're allowed.
Speaker 2: That's just it doesn't believe very much because you're the first person that you've As you said, I was like, yeah, that's how I feel where family just encompasses all of it, doesn't it, Because you have your ups and your downs. At the end of the day, you've all shared this same experience and therefore you have that much deeper and foundational relationship with one another that you won't have with other people in this specific way, and that feels like family and I'm very very grateful for it.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had such a great time together, and I also just remember how much fun it really was. Yeah, we had so much fun. Yeah, and I would say, lucky is the other word, Like I just felt lucky, like every day driving through those gates at Paramount and at the beginning I always remember the beginning of seasons of like showing up like this is where I get to go, this is what I get to do, And this few moments where I was present and could remember that I just felt very, very very lucky to get to be on a show that I liked and was proud of as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shitty Paramount. It was a big, big get too, because it was such a great.
Speaker 2: Place to be, so magical, the most powerful.
Speaker 4: But I think also, as you said, it's you know, Ben jams of family, Like I would say, there's nobody if you you know, Ryan, Ian and I and the whole cast is if anybody were to call anybody and say I need you right now, everybody, Okay, what do you need? Yeah? Total years like that's that's I think what I take from it is that there is some that's almost unconscious there. It's never a no.
Speaker 1: For anybody, totally totally yep.
Speaker 3: I think my word would be formative, emotional, formative, moved, I don't know, I think really influenced who I am today, how I see the world, how I see my my career, how I see my own like it really informed my own self love and worth and the work that I did and so but I also just like pure joy, like we had so many good memories and like to rewatch it. Now, I think my my some of like my subconscious stuck onto some of the sticky sickyer stuff, which was very minimal, but like to rewatch it has been so therapeutic and cathartic for me to like go back and be like, oh shit, that was awesome, Like I really look back and I go like, I wish I could do that again, Like I wish we could do regionals just.
Speaker 1: One more time.
Speaker 3: Like as much as we like groaned about those long days, like how cool was that?
Speaker 1: So it's very special? Yeah, well said, well okay, now I really do think that our time is coming to you.
Speaker 4: We had to get over and hour here we did.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for spending so much time with us.
Speaker 4: Anything, and that's what anything for you guys, really whatever you need and love you are you love you to you, guys. This is a pretty cool thing. And I think that was very popular and doing a really cool thing here.
Speaker 2: So thanks well, thanks to you know you and Ryan and Ian for supporting it and coming on. That means a lot. Yeah, well congrats, congrats everyone go watch About the Sun. If you haven't, go watch it.
Speaker 4: You might like yet I think I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just imagine the musical numbers where the fighting is exactly. Now that we know how it's made, it's really good.
Speaker 4: Thanks Chris, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks Brad, You're the best, the best, Brad fiul check everybody.
Speaker 2: You know, what's crazy?
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 2: We've had a lot of emotional and depth talks about the show and people's experiences in it and with it, and Brad through all of that, even when things do get tough, he's always such a calming presence, very positive, yeah, and can acknowledge all of that stuff while still being like, okay, and what are we what is the spin of this? How do we get through this? Let's talk openly about all of it, but nobody get crazy or emotional like it's yeah, but I'm just.
Speaker 3: Happy to see he's like he's never changed, you know, not that any of them have, but like he's really his core values, his core self like has always been this.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, we're thank you, Brad for coming and hanging out with us. We're really so grateful for your time and for sharing all of those fun tipbits with us. And everybody, go watch Brother's Son. It's really fun. There's a great story. It's not just a bunch of action like there's a really good story as well, and the characters you really love.
Speaker 2: So it's super fun.
Speaker 1: Check it out.
Speaker 2: And that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.