Speaker 1: Welcome to five hundred Greatest Songs, a podcast based on Rolling Stones hugely popular, influential, and sometimes controversial list.
Speaker 2: I'm Britney Spanas and I'm Rob Sheffield.
Speaker 3: We're here to shed light on the greatest songs ever made and discover what makes them so great. This week, we're diving into an all time favorite for both of us, Be My Baby by the ron Nets.
Speaker 1: A song that actually maintained its ranking on the two thousand and four list into the twenty twenty one list.
Speaker 2: It stayed at number twenty.
Speaker 1: Two on both lists, which is like pretty remarkable that I was able to maintain that between the two votes.
Speaker 2: But this song is such an all time classic.
Speaker 1: It's such a foundation for a lot of artists, a lot of.
Speaker 2: Great pop music.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that the references alone are endless, Like that's an entire separate episode of us talking about every single song and artists that has referenced the drum beat or you know, the Woo's or the Ronnie's or anything. But it's such an excellent, perfect, perfect girl group song.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely phenomenal, a song that, like you said, the drumbeat alone, you hear that in every genre of music. Every band does there be My Baby. How many movies begin, you know, with that drum intro? How many albums, how many careers begin with that drum intro. It's just part of the universal language of pop music. It's as universal as a pop song can be, and it never sounds dated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean also just the vocals of Ronnie on the song Rispector. I mean, she is like just the ultimate ultimate rock and roll girl, Like she is just so cool and her voice is just like so edgy and rob but also so pure in that kind of perfect girl groupy way. And I mean she just really carries so much of the charisma of the song and makes it work so well. And again a foundation for a lot of artists, a lot of artists, especially after her passing last year, I mean, I think a lot of artists. The tributes came pouring in about how much she had impacted who they were and who they wanted to be as performer, and it's very clear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, she had such an amazing and long career as a phenomenal vocalist. But really, even if we were just this one song, her vocals in this song alone just transformed music. In so many ways, so many individual moments in this song spawned entire careers. You know, you listen to this line, it's like, oh, everything Brice Springsteen ever did, never aspired to do, came out of this line.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know, everything Brian Wilson wanted to do came out of this line. And you know, just the influences all over music, from goth to metal to hip hop to everything. There's just this deep be my Baby Ronnie Spector passion running through it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the song was written in nineteen sixty three by Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich, and Phil Spector. Jeff and Ellie Actually they had the most songs written by a non performing duo on the two thousand and four list. They had six songs. They wrote so many incredible classics. Chapel of Love is a number one favorite of from the Hurricanon and River Deep, Mountain High and so many others.
Speaker 2: And they wrote this song and.
Speaker 1: Phil Spector was auditioning this new girl group that was of course Ronnie and her sister and her cousin. And they were signed to the Phillies label, which is Phil Spector's label. And you know, they were not really ready yet for a while they kind of withheld their first couple of singles and wasn't really sure that they were totally radio ready, performance ready, but then gave them Be My Baby, and the rest is history. Of course, Ronnie really carries this song, and this is a song that exemplifies so much of the wall of sound that Phil Spector is known for, and you know, just in the way that they recorded it. I loved reading an anecdote from Ronnie that she said that it's a lot about the studio, but she also recorded a lot of the vocals in the ladies bathroom at the studio, and she said, there's a lot to say about the acoustics in that lady's bathroom.
Speaker 3: Total in your memoir, which everybody should run out of, it's one of the all time great rock memoirs. But she's a great She's like, you know, the lady's room sounded better than the studio. She's like, people talk about the great echo in the studio, but it was even better in the bathroom. A story that I love. I mean, as you say, her vocal is so key to the whole thing that she was flying out to la to do it. It was the first time she'd ever been on a plane. She was with her mom, she was terrified, she was just a kid, And she went into the bathroom at LaGuardia before the plane took off and just sang that song over and over again in that bathroom to just rehearse her vocals. And it's really funny that the ambience of you know, singing that song to yourself in the bathroom is such a like she could hear. Yes, Yeah, I'm not sure they've they've remodeled those those bathrooms since then.
Speaker 2: But it's had to keep the same. Yes, you never know when the next my baby is going to be exactly.
Speaker 3: It's a sacred part of world cultural history. But it's well that every detail of the recording is so perfectly engineered, so precisely arranged and everything, but it all comes down to that vocal. Yeah, that it's the absolute realness and rawness of you know, this teenage girl just absolutely like blowing the roof off.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And this is a song by the Ryas that is just it's just Ronnie Spector singing on it. But also a favorite fun fact of mine is that Sonny and Cher saying background vocals because they were in the studio and Darling Love wasn't in that day and they were recording with Phil Spector and ended up getting doing just a little bit of background vocals on the song, which I love knowing that that Share is somewhere somewhere deep in the in the mix.
Speaker 3: I love that. Yes, it's funny, that's a story that there's some some dispute over its veracity. But I really feel like I personally always hear Share, you know, just somewhere in the background. Yeah, but like just Ronnie as someone you know, you can definitely tell this is not a trained voice. This is not somebody who's been doing the voice lessons, This is not somebody who has a lot of live experience. This is just a kid who listens to music on the radio, sings along with it, and you know, realizes this is her big moment. You can hear that she's terrified. In terms of like the great vocals, we can hear how scared the singer is. There's you know, some of the all time greats are like that, and you could definitely hear that in her voice that she is really nervous. All her emotions are on edge, and that comes across in absolutely every part of it. Her vibrato, the way she hits all those high notes just incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's just kind of the perfect rock and roll song.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like the just all of those the levels of the harmonies, and just the way that I mean obviously the production being that wall sound production, that kind of room filling sort of acoustic kind of you know, you play it on the stereo and it kind of takes over your entire car home when you're listening to it. Just the fact that she's able to kind of really transcend so much of already like a really great kind of wrecking crew kind of performance beneath it and just like make it so much more powerful and make it kind of the voice as her as this like beautiful centerpiece to it, and just kind of like cuts.
Speaker 2: Through all of that.
Speaker 1: Like the minute that she starts singing, like that drum beat at the beginning, you're like immediately forget about it, and then it comes back You're like, oh, yeah, that was also amazing. Yeah, when the trump beat returns at the end, you're like, oh, yes, I almost forgot that. We just started off with that excellent intro and we're so distracted by Ronnie's like perfect performance of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's great because the drum is pure confidence. You know, of course it's one of the ultraime great drummers, hal Blaine, the rhythm of the Wrecking Crew, and this is you know, a pro who absolutely knows what he's doing. This beat is, you know, the center of the hal Blaine legend. This is when people talk about how greaty is. This is the song, but it's well that that is such a contrast with Ronnie, who is really sounds like she's winging it and like while she's singing it, she's not sure how it's coming across to people, but she's absolutely putting her heart into it, and you can really hear that she's putting herself on the line.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think especially in the context of like so much much of the kind of like fifties and sixties sort of girl group kind of song energies that were happy at that time, Like there is so much of that lyrically, the sort of confidence that's happening from the way that the perspective that Ronnie's singing from, like this character who is like you know, be mine, Like it's like very much like very forward in terms of kind of the more kind of submissiveness of a lot of the characters that we see in a lot of the songs from this time, especially sung by women, Like it's very I know, she's able to kind of carry that in such a perfect way where it is that kind of rock and rollness of her voice and that kind of brashness of the way that she sings, and that you know, she doesn't need to like be the sort of like super perfect kind of image of what we thought a pop star could be, and she kind of carries it so well in terms of even just the messaging of the song being so unique and different to what we were used to hearing at the time.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's so true, Like, I mean, you're so one hundred percent right about how it really contrasts with how a lot of the singers from that era were, i mean cross especially the young female ones. And there's no hesitation in what she's singing, and there's no real calculation in it either. You can hear her confidence build line by line the moment in the first verse where she's just kind of warming and then she says, we'll make them turn their heads every place we go and I feel like that's the moment where she really snaps into being Ronnie Specter and yeah, it's like, wow, no, this is where she's absolutely the confidence is surging at this point, and it's really amazing to hear how that spirit has really defined the song through the years, through the decades, through the generations, in every culture. It's really amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what are some of your favorite I mean, I can think of like a million different references I really love that have been made to the song directly, whether it's to Ronnie or to the beat or anything. But what are some of your favorite kind of uses of the song or influences of the song that have existed in pop music?
Speaker 3: I love it because it's everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, you know one of the all time great albums of the eighties Psycho Candy by The Jesus and Mary Chain, and the way that it begins with that beat and that you know, the Jesus and Mary Chan are saying like, yes, we're really depressive Scottish boys. We haven't seen the sunlight in years because we can't see through our hair, and this is how we're going to present ourselves to the world in this feedback drenched version of the Be My Baby beat, and it's such a beautiful statement about all their goals and all their aspirations. I love how the Jesus and Mary Chain song comes in at the end of Lost in Translation, when Scarlet's in the back of the taxi having her moment, and you could really tell that, you know, it's not just the Jesus and Mary Chain that she's hearing in her head in that scene, she's really like listening to Ronnie Spector in that scene. That's how it feels. And I really think so if your couple used it self consciously that way, and now I know you love to all time kings of eighties hair metal Poison with their debut album Look What the Cat Drag In. And I love how that album begins with cry Tough, which is just, you know, the be My Baby Be beat and a very be my Baby type of pop love song. And it's funny because you know, for me as a team who like, I really loved the Jesus and Mary Chain album and I love the Poison album and the Camera out around the same time. They did not have overlapping audiences, but I love that these two bands that were opposite in so many ways and from thousands of miles apart and totally different record collections, but this is where they met. They all wanted to be Ronnie Spector.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really love the drum beat sample on Lana Delray's Love is a favorite of mine.
Speaker 2: I think that one. I think she's also.
Speaker 1: Like Lana is obviously so heavily influenced by Ronnie and the Ronettes, and I mean just kind of like all that, and obviously that song in particular is like her most direct homage to Ronnie Spector, and have you seen Lana live before? And kind of just the presentation that she does with like sixties girl group energy and like the dancers and everything.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I love that sample on there.
Speaker 1: And even just like the songs that kind of offhanded reference it, Like there's an Arctic Monkey song that sort of references the Mean Streets opening scene with be My Baby on it that I really love, and also the theory that Night Moves is supposed to reference Be My Baby, even though he gets the year wrong in it, like starts singing a song from nineteen sixty two. But yeah, I think that I love just kind of like how ingrained into our pop culture, into our own consciousness.
Speaker 2: Of like pop music.
Speaker 1: This song is that just like it's kind of just an offhanded reference now just for so many musicians to make on there to signify a certain point or a certain type of like love song that they're referencing, or nostalgia or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I mean so many careers come out of this song, legendary careers. You think about Bruce Springsteen, who I mentioned earlier, but his whole sensibility you can hear Be my Baby. You would absolutely be able to convince somebody that just based on the first three Springsteen albums, that Be my Baby could very well be the only song he'd ever heard. Obviously there's a lot of music going into those albums, but his commitment to that kind of style of an ordinary kid with an ordinary voice, just like absolutely putting all their heart into it and coming up with something extraordinary. The song itself born to Run. It's just a very obvious answer song to Be My Baby. It doesn't echo the drum beat, but that passion is absolutely coming straight from Being My Baby. But so many other bands, especially the punk rock groups that pretty much emerged entirely from this song, thinking especially of the New York Dolls and the Ramones, who were both obsessed with this song. They're obsessed with girl group rock in general. Gold group pat from the early sixties so formative for punk rock bands from everywhere. But it's all how the New York Boys, they really the New York Dolls just wanted to be Ronnie Spector. They wanted to dress like her, they wanted to sing like her, they wanted to feel as deep as she did. And you know, you listen to those Dolls albums and it's like, yeah, they are absolutely going for a true Veronica Bennett realness. And the Ramones, of course, Or She became very close with Joey Ramon and they had just a wonderful musical partnership in what turned out to be the later years for both of them. But it's just really beautiful that the way that they collaborated, since you know, everything the Ramones did comes from somewhere and be.
Speaker 1: My Baby, Yeah, yeah, I mean, I love how much of that like punk rock connection to all of those like sixties girl groups, especially obviously Ronnie being sort of the leader of that pack, you know, that sort of like star of sort of the ideal kind of like punk aesthetic of that. I always kind of like love that connection because I feel like it's sort of almost kind of i know, underrated, and when we talk about the general sense of punk in the seventies and the late seventies, and I think that's such a special connection that all those bands had to that genre of music, but especially to her and to her performance, because she was so punk rock and just everything about her her presence was so punk rock.
Speaker 3: I mean, the Beatles and the Stones were both they were both very close to the run, but they both were groups of English boys who really wanted to be Ronnie Spector. Famously, when the Beatles were in New York for the first time sixty years ago, John Lennon spent his first night in New York listening to the radio stations because we're back in England they only had two stations and calling them up and asking them to play the Ronettes, And you know, that was the person they were really excited to meet when they came to New York. Yeah, and they did a lot of hanging out with the Ronettes over the years. Ronnie says in her book, She's a great story about taking them up to Spanish Harlem where they could just you know, go to get food, because she said nobody in the neighborhood would recognize them, like they just think that they were just a bunch of like ordinary long haired dudes, like guys were their hair long in that neighborhood, and she's like, none of them cared about English rock and rollers. So yeah, but it's wild to think. You know, David Bowie, someone who very self consciously, you know, aspired to be my baby miss in everything he did, constantly talked about Ronnie Spector as a fascination and inspiration for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course Brian Wilson was, oh, so it is so in love with the song.
Speaker 2: He loves it so much, and I love the story. The first time he heard it, he had to.
Speaker 1: Pull off the road just to like listen to it and analyze it and think about it and just every story about you know, him sort of imitating that drum beat and playing in and talking about, you know, just the fact that this is the greatest song of all time to him and such a major impact on his own music, kind of shifting the way he thought about what music could be or kind of the way to write pop music and writing his own response songs.
Speaker 2: To it over the course of his career.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I love every story about his sort of just like deep deep obsession with with be My Baby.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it's such a beautiful Colin response. Today happens to be the day that the new Beyonce album, Cowboy Carter has dropped, so all day I've been obsessed with the moment on that album, as I know you're obsessed with it too, where Beyonce just starts singing good Vibrations, which is such a great like I don't know a reference, but you think about where that song comes from. It comes very much from Brian Wilson listening to a black girl saying on the radio and you know, hearing his own story echoed in her voice, and that you know, Beyonce's moving that story forward into such a typically brilliant and scholarly way in pop girl music. Today, a Taylor Swift song that I Know you love, Hey Steven, which is a song that we both love and has that great moment where it just pauses for the be My Baby beat, and it's really great because it's just brilliantly poised in the song just to say you know, we're just going to have a moment, a moment for Ronnie. And it's just such a beautiful affirmation of that continuity through the years with Ronnie Specter and her so many great inheritors. It's wild just to think in terms of one specific song, take Me Home Tonight by any Money, And it's so funny that that song in itself has such a bizarrely long afterlife. I think if you went back in time to the eighties and told people forty years from now, you will here take Me Home Tonight constantly, just in the course of the day, like you can't you know, you can't get into a cab or you know, shot for shoes or you know, like by toothpaste at the front seat, You're just always going to hear that song, which is really kind of mind blowing considering this song is very specifically about, you know, listening to be My Baby and Eddie Money. Part of the beauty of this song is the way Eddie Money himself just you know, kind of like ordinary guy, ordinary voice, but a heartful of soul like Ronnie Spector, and that he just is beat just like Ronnie saying be my little baby, and she comes on to sing, and it's really wild that that happened at a time when she hadn't had a new record or much less a hit in an awful long time, and yet that became such a huge part of her legend. The fact that the song was inescapable so much comes from the fact that, you know, there's this other major song that just says just like Ronnie saying, be my little baby. And it's so wild how that is so biquity seen itself.
Speaker 1: You know, like it's like one of those songs where it's like, not only is a song amazing, and like, you know, again, like we've talked about so many songs on here that sort of had new lives or kind of disappeared for a little bit and have researched or you know, kind of seeing how legacies play out, especially for you know, the older songs that we've talked about. But I think with this song, it's like one of those things where one is just a perfect song. It's hard to not immediately love it the minute hear it, no matter what generation you're from or like kind of how you come to it. It's also completely unavoidable in every capacity. You know, these are artists that are some of the most popular right now who are still referencing it. Versus, if you are kind of getting into any any artists from any decade, you're gonna stumble upon Be My Baby in some some form.
Speaker 2: You know, you could turn.
Speaker 1: On any movie or you'll hear it, You'll.
Speaker 2: Turn on any TV show.
Speaker 1: It's like there's like a statistic or something that was just like it's over. It's been played over three million or something times, and like radio and like TV and film and all that, Like it's like crazy how many times that this song has been used.
Speaker 2: It's so it's impossible to not discover it, you know. Yes, and next.
Speaker 1: Up we will be joined by songwriter Jeff Barry. Right now we are joined by the incredible songwriter Jeff Barry. Jeff, thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 4: My pleasure, my pleasure.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Sir.
Speaker 3: There are legends and there's Jeff Barry to thank you for being here, but also thank you for all the songs that you've given the soundtrack of our lives.
Speaker 1: I'm curious before we start talking about Be My Baby specifically. I mean, you have such an incredible canon of songs that you have been a part of You're a very important part of the fabric of music history. I'm curious what got you into songwriting in the first place. What made you so interested in writing music.
Speaker 4: I grew up in Brooklyn, New York, in that atmosphere when it comes time to think about the future. I'd put it this way. Songwriting was not on the list of you know, job titles. But it was always something I did just because I really loved to sing and entertain and you know, I had a little do wop group and we would we would actually perform local events when I was in high school. But I actually didn't know that well. I knew, but I didn't consider songwriting as an occupation. But I wanted to be an entertainer. And someone in my family knew someone who knew someone, and I finally got in front of someone in the industry to just listen to me as a singer. And that person was Arnold Shaw, and he was a music publisher. So he listened to me sing. And the only thing I could sing we was songs I wrote because I only know two chords and I couldn't sing anybody else's songs. And he was more interested in the songs than the singer. And I was in college at the time, studying something that I wasn't really good at. They offered me a songwriting job for seventy five bucks a week, so I quit college and that's how I became a songwriter. The singing the career was sidelined. But you know what, the good part is that over my career I was really writing my act because then I got to do for charity, major events, many many, many events, singing the hits. And there's not many artists who can get up and sing, you know, a couple of dozen hits. And besides, I wasn't being judged as a singer at that point either, So it all worked out.
Speaker 3: You've already done so many hits by the time that you did Be My Baby. How could you tell or could you tell that the song was something special while you were writing it?
Speaker 4: You know, I think it's creative instinct. If you're writing something that you want people to hear, that's the criteria because it's, you know, to some degree, showing off. You play them, play people a song and they like it, and that's great, and then you start to just play trust your instincts. There's no book on it. You know, there's dozens of books on songwriting, but when I address songwriting classes, I tell them you can't learn how to write songs. You can learn music, and you should. I wish I had, you know, been able to go to Juilliard and know all the chords. But so I write the part the singer sings. I write lyrics first, melody second, and I mean I've written kind of hits myself, but they'll usually be basic chord progressions. But it's great to write with people who know the chords. And I really do love the co writing processes. Kind of fun. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you remember how quickly the song came together? Was it something that I felt like it was pouring out of the three of you when you were writing it, or did.
Speaker 2: It take some time to put together? What was the experience like?
Speaker 4: I would say that most of them were done in two sittings. For me, the three hours of writing, and it's really intense. I mean, I do nothing for three hours. I don't even drink or eat or anything, and after three hours it's like, Okay, the tank is empty. As far as creativity goes. You could push it to longer, of course, but two songs. I know how long they took. A song I wrote called Ianesty Love You Olivion John that took exactly exactly six hours with Peter Allen three hours one day, three hours, the next day, Wow song of the Year. And then the other was Hanky Panky, which Ellie and I wrote in the hall of the studio in about ten minutes.
Speaker 3: The experience of writing be My Baby, did you know while you were writing it that you were writing a song that would make such an impression?
Speaker 4: No, none of the songs did, I really think. You know, I believe that they could all be hits. But the idea of the hit at the time is different from now looking back, because be My Baby was a hit, but then it becomes a standard. Nobody was thinking standard. No, seriously, you know, like even the most obvious one to me is Christmas Baby, Please Come Home. Yeah, we wrote that. Was still wanting an original Christmas song in the album, and it's becoming, or has become a Christmas standard, and that's very cool. Chair just recorded it on her Christmas album.
Speaker 3: Her version is so great.
Speaker 4: You know, most of them are pretty good. I think my favorite is You Two.
Speaker 3: It's so great.
Speaker 4: I love what they did with it.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the first time that you heard Ronnie's vocals on be My Baby and what was it like to hear that song come to life with her voice?
Speaker 4: No, I don't remember the first time. I do remember saying to myself that she didn't phrase some of it the way I would have. But you know, they were, they were they were great records. They just sounded like you know, another Phil Spector records.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, you say that they were great records, and they certainly were. But it all comes down to the songs. And you wrote so many different types of classic songs.
Speaker 4: Oh well, that's very much appreciated that you recognize that people know about the dua ditties, but they don't know about the country hits and the R and B hits and the TV theme songs, and they all know the other stuff. So I appreciate that recognition because for me, it's all about words and notes and the common emotions that we all have. So, you know, what genre that is created in almost doesn't matter. You're still doing the same thing.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely really inspiring to hear you talk about these songs. After all the songs you've written. Thank you so much for talking with us today.
Speaker 2: We really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Really an honor.
Speaker 4: Oh it's absolutely my pleasure. I really love to talk about it and hopefully inspire people who might be listening to this.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for listening to Rolling Stone's five hundred Greatest Songs. This podcast is brought to you by Rolling Stone and iHeartMedia. Hosted and written by me, Rob Sheffield and Brittany Spanas, Executive produced by Gus Winner, Jason Fine, Alex Dale and Kristin Horde, and produced by Jesse Cannon, with music supervision by Xiler. Thanks for watching