Speaker 1: Kutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a sol fastion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now in.
Speaker 3: The air everywhere. The Fifth Hour with me, Ben Mahler and Danny g Radio and a very happy, happy, happy, happy Happy Friday. It's the twenty seventh day of the month of September. This is our last Friday show here in the month of September.
Speaker 1: On the fifth Hour.
Speaker 3: Every weekend, new original audio content Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. This is a spinoff, as you know I would assume by now of the Overnight Show, the Original Recipe Podcast. This is not the Original Recipe Podcast. Instead, Extra Crispy, extra spicy, all the good stuff, and it's here all weekend long. Now, this is the Friday we celebrate National Horned Beef hash Day. Now, I do not eat breakfast. I know you're very concerned in about my culinary habits. Over the last couple of years on this podcast, we have laid out that I enjoy fasting. I usually eat once a day. I'll skip a day or two during the week. It's my michi gos. But when I eat breakfast, which is rare and appropriate normally when I'm on vacation, and I get dragged out because I'm normally not up the traditional time of breakfast doing the overnight show. But I love corn beef hash I absolutely, we love it wonderful and today is today. Now that does not mean I'm going to eat it because we record this podcast very early in the morning.
Speaker 1: By the way, Danny G will be back tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Some of you have reached out to me and you think that I am boguarding the podcast, that I am not allowing Danny G to talk, which AI found amusing and b could not be further than the truth. Fun the truth when I do the podcast. When we do this, Danny is not available at this time on Friday, so that's why you've got me and Danny. When he's available on Saturday and Sunday, we have him on, but he's got a lot going on with Colvino and rich and all that. So he's not being forced off the Friday Podcast. And every once in a while he'll appear on the Friday Podcast, but today is not one of those days.
Speaker 1: The microphone throttler.
Speaker 3: But as far as cornby fash, love it, love it, love it, love it. Now the origin of cornby fash, I know you're dying to know. I love this kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: I just eat it up.
Speaker 3: It's unknown. They don't really know when it began. There's some historians, not Laker fans, but real historians who claim that there's a fourteenth century recipe fourteenth century that is essentially what is today cornby fash. It's also believed that Jewish immigrants really brought it to America in the late nineteenth century when they were fleeing northern Europe. But I don't know who brought it. I always love it. It's my go to. It's a staple for me when I'm eating breakfast. I like my pancakes, but hornby fash, which is just corn beef diced up, throw some spices on there, some onions, some potatoes.
Speaker 1: What more do you need?
Speaker 3: It's easy to make, It's wonderful, and love it, love it. Love it, love it. It is also today, if that was not enough, it is National Hot Chocolate Day. This is the start of fall, the first weekend. I believe in fall. Autumn wind. The autumn wind is a racy as we head in the fall, So celebrate National Chocolate Milk Day. It's also Morning show host Day. I don't do a morning show, so I don't think I can celebrate that. But yeah, chocolate milk. I think we talked about this last year on this podcast. But chocolate milk is from Jamaica. Yeah, it's Jamaica. Ginger beer and chocolate milk from from Jamaica allegedly and goes all the way back to the fourteen hundreds and still to this day. The global chocolate milk market expected to grow by three point six percent over the next few years. So people love their chocolate milk. It makes you a little Tingley, a little Tingley. So on today's podcast, we've got a little trophy time, the old switcheroo, saw foody fun as well, and all of that. All of that we'll get to you, but here we begin with this. So I'm going to take you behind the Microphone, Behind the Microphone Companion Podcast, Behind the scenes the making of Benny Versus the Penny on and b see Peacock as well well. And if you didn't know, it is week four of the NFL. We had that riveting Cowboy game which I won. I had the Giants plus the points. Hallelujah.
Speaker 1: That's a good win.
Speaker 3: I'll take it. I need all the good wins I can get. But the Giants winning the bet. They lost the game last night because of a field goal that was just a little wide to the right, just a wee bit, just a little bit. So it's week four. Benny Versus the Penny is in the bank. We did it yesterday. It will start airing later this afternoon on the NBC regional cable sports channels in Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, so all of those places, and also nationally streaming on Peacock. So the big behind the scenes news involves my big fat mouth. Now I'm gonna flash back in the hot tub time machine. We're gona go back to Monday, Monday, Monday Night football. We had a double header on Monday Night. So I made a decision which I have regretted all week.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I decided I'm gonna make some chicken. I'm gonna I'm gonna cook up some chicken, grilled chicken, and some rice. Now that's my normal, normal meal. But this was not a normal day. You're about to hear the rest of the story. And this is a story that I have not told. You don't know about it. Eddie doesn't Eddie didn't know about it. Coop doesn't know about it. The rainer doesn't know about it. Even Danny g who's not here, he doesn't know about it. So I normally make some kind of chicken dish and rice. But this day was different than most other days. Why in my effort to fast track the cooking process, I was in a rush to eat, and I brought the food back quickly to the sofa. So I'm sitting down watching the Monday game, the Bills Jacksonville game. So I tried to time it where I could eat right when the game began. So I sit down, I got my food, and I go for it. I'm like, all right, I haven't eaten since yesterday. Let me have a nice meal. So I chow down and nice big chop. And what happened in my haste to eat the food, I ended up biting a I ain't chunk, not completely out of my tongue, but it's really messed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So all week I have been dealing with the left side of my tongue, which is completely mutilated.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: The very odd thing about this is that not a single listener, not even my my core p one guys, said Hey, Ben, I think there's something that will off with your voice. Every word that I have said this week has been painful.
Speaker 1: Every word.
Speaker 3: Now, I did get the last couple of days, I got some numbing like toothache, Joe, But it's not toothache.
Speaker 1: It's on my tongue. And the issue is this.
Speaker 3: And I've said for many years that there's only three things that can make what I do for a living painful. One is laryngitis. I've done radio with laryngitis. It's not fun. I don't recommend it. The other two are burning your tongue or what I've just done, biting my tongue, literally biting your tongue. Now, there's some other stuff, toothache or something like that. But if you remember several years back, it's been many years, but I famously burned my tongue eating pizza too fast, and I sounded on that one people did tell me I sounded weird. They said, something's weird about that. They said I sounded like Lou Holtz. I had a lisp when I talked, and I fortunately I don't with this. But the problem is I haven't been able to properly heal the tongue because every night I go into the studio and I talk for four hours and the left side of my tongue in the back, which there's no way around it, is very uh you know, it's it's in the recovery mode. So what ends up happening is I don't talk during the day. I'm quiet and I feel better. But then at night or here in the morning, and I did four hours of radio overnight. We had a few hours off, and I'm back with this podcast. And I'm not looking for a purple heart. By the way, I have a purple tongue because of the uh, because of the swelling and all that. But doing four plus hours of talk radio, a TV show and a podcast, uh yeah, it's I'm feeling it, and uh, I'm not looking for for anything other maybe a trophy. Maybe I actually hit a trophy. But other than that, I'm good.
Speaker 1: I'm okay.
Speaker 3: Now moving on from that wonderful story about my swollen, throbbing tongue that I'm an idiot, I am such a moron and I bitten my tongue. So we have the old switcheroo without giving too much away, because I want you to watch BVP Benny Versus the Penny, Episode four, season two of the show, which is actually episode five. It's week four, but we did a pre season show, so it's really episode five, season two of Benny Versus the Penny. But you'll notice if you watched this weekend show which will air today, Tomorrow and Sunday until one o'clock Eastern time on Peacock, that Tom Lody pulled a fast one.
Speaker 1: He did the looney switcheroo. Now I'm not going to tell you.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to sit here and tell you what he did. To watch the show and see if you can figure it out. But there was a dramatic change, if I remember, it was near the end of the show, so you can check that out. And the taping was rather smooth, good vibrations, didn't have to redo much of anything. There were no major snaff foos. There we were in the zone, but not at aut a zone, eating our mojo potatoes. We found our mojo. Now, speaking of that, speaking of that, there is some foody fun. Are you ready for foody fun? Foody fun? Let's do it all right, let's have some foody fun here. We'll start with this Burger King. Now, they have a one million dollars competition.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you've heard about this or not.
Speaker 3: It's amazing to me that Burger King is still in business. Every time I go to Burger King, or I don't even go to Burger King, but when I drive by Burger King, there's no one there, but someone must beating there anyway. Burger King has a one million dollar competition to try to find a new whopper flavor, and they have debuted three possible whopper flavors this week. They have fried pickle ranch Whopper, which sounds like everything I hate other than the fried part fried pickle, sorry, alf disgusting, and then the ranch the Devil's play, so I don't need that. They have the maple bourbon Barbecue Whopper, which actually sounds somewhat compelling. Of course, I would argue anything after the fried pickle ranch whopper would be compelling. Also, you have the Mexican streekhorn whopper. I don't know how that would play in the Upper Midwest, but hey, why not it sounds like it would be.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Now, what else do we have on foody fun? Jack in the Box has introduced a couple of new items. They have the new Red Bull gamer Box.
Speaker 1: What the hell is this? You ask? All right, I'll tell you. Well. First of all, I clicked this button right here.
Speaker 3: The Jack in the Box Red Bowl gamer Box includes not one, two tacos, thirteen tiny tacos, an order of hot and salty medium French fries. Right, that's not bad, order of medium seasoned curly fries, two dip cups they've got, unfortunately, buttermilk ranch and creamy avocado, and a can of Red Bull. Now price is very but the suggestion suggested real tail price I saw was about ten dollars.
Speaker 1: Ten dollars for that.
Speaker 3: Which sounds like a decent amount of food, and the tacos are not that much. Two tacos, thirteen tiny tacos, and a couple of fries. That seems a little pricey, I guess for you're not getting that much food when you break it down. Also, Jack in the Box has introduced the new smoke show. That's not a woman or man cheeseburger. It's in San Diego for a limit of times. So if you're in San Diego and you want to try this out, you got to hunt around your local Jack in the Box there and you Yes, you can be a guinea pig. It is available all a cart or as a combo with fries and a drink.
Speaker 1: What is it? What's five seventy nine? They they give you either a.
Speaker 3: Double or a single with a one beef patty as opposed to the eighty percent top with American cheese, lettuce, tomato, crispy onions all right, smoke house sauce, and a buttery bakery bun alright. So yeah, that sounds pretty good. I don't know if I want the lettuce with tomato, but the crispy onions, the sauce and everything else, why not making it up with the butt looks pretty good.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: That sounds like a keeper. I don't know if it's as good good as the Outlaw Burger from back in the day. What else do we have on foody fun Wendy's taking direct aim at McDonald's and those broken mcflurry machines.
Speaker 1: They have a.
Speaker 3: One dollar, one dollar, one dollar, one dollar Frosty deal. Now I have a question. I used to eat it Wendy's quite a bit back.
Speaker 2: In the day.
Speaker 3: Not so much anymore, all right, I mostly eat at home, very expensive. But do the the Wendy's machines right, for the for the Frosty's and all that, do they break as often as the McDonald's ones.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm asking for a friend.
Speaker 3: Also, if I remember correctly, we did a story on Foody Fun God it was a couple of years ago where there's a theory that the McDonald's soft served machines are not actually broken as often as the restaurants say that. What happens is there a pain in the tukis to clean, and.
Speaker 1: So a lot of restaurants so.
Speaker 3: Just there's people that are like lazy and they don't want to they don't want to have to clean them all the time, and so they'll just say they're out of service, when in reality any.
Speaker 1: Not exactly the case.
Speaker 3: What else do we have McDonald's snack wraps returning with the new Crispy strips nationwide rollout expected in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Hallelujah.
Speaker 3: Now some people have emailed me over the last couple of years we've been doing footy fun and they're like, what's going on with the McDonald's. I used to like the rabit's healthy. A. I don't think it's healthy. B. I don't work for McDonald's. And see, congratulations, it's back. What else do we have? Let's see, let's see any else that's probably good on that? How about now the phrase of the week. Are you ready for the phrase of the week? All right, Today's phrase of the week on this Friday, the twenty seventh day of September, on the Fifth Hour podcast, Born with a silver spoon in the mouth. You ever heard that before, like, for example, Bronnie James Lebron's kid born with a silver spoon in the mouth. So this goes way back. There's a claim I fell down a rabbit hole.
Speaker 1: By the way, Mike. I don't know where Mike lives. He didn't say where he lives.
Speaker 3: I guess he's embarrassed, but he sent me an email asking me about this one. So I went down a rabbit hole. Here's what I found. The claim is that in the Middle Ages, the silver spoon was very important for farmers and craftsmen to avoid being mistaken for an escape slave. So they had silver spoons. No, no, I'm not some escaped slave. So that was the first thing. Later on the baptism process, which I'm not too familiar with, giving a silver spoon as a baptism gift is a tradition that also goes back to the Middle Ages. The belief was that the silver spoon was something that was magical. There were magical properties in the silver that could keep away the evil spirits, oh, those evil spirits. And then you have the wealth part of it, where I think about it, Well, you're born entitled, You're born into a family that has a fair amount of money, like Bronnie James for example. So anyway, born with a silver spoon in one's mouth. It comes from the tradition of giving sterling silver to babies, and it is also it's a sign of doing well financially. And people had hoped that the wealth given to the little baby, the little baby would follow that child throughout their life.
Speaker 1: That if you were born with this silver spoon in your mouth, you would grow up to be successful. Of course, the argument could be made if you are with a family that could afford a sterling silver spoon, well chances are pretty good that you would be pretty successful. So and of course modern in modern times.
Speaker 3: It was first used as it is today, born with a silver spoon in your mouth about eighteen hundred, about eighteen hundred or so, and there it is. And I know in a colonial America. What they did is they took all these coins when the people came over from Europe, they started melting the coins down. And because they didn't want to waste the precious metal from the coins, they didn't need them anymore, they weren't going back to Europe, and so what they did was they would melt them down and make silver spoons. And so that is the phrase of the week, born with a silver spoon in the mouth. I did want to mention before I get the heck out of here. My thoughts are with so many of you that are in what I call Malar Country in the South. I've been watching the news here this morning and the hurricane tearing through parts of Florida there and there have already been a few people that have met their demise because of this hurricane and it hit landfall. Point of the news I have here in the studio I'm watching, it's a category four, so a cat for storm. And as of me doing this podcast this morning, they said there's already a couple million people without power across Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas. My father in law mostly lives in the Carolinas. I believe he's down there right now. So our thoughts are with you. And this thing's going to be going up through the eastern part of the United States the next couple of days here, So thoughts with you. I know many of you during hurricanes have these big elaborate parties and whatnot, and I didn't know about that until I started doing the overnight show. He's it's just an excuse to drink. Also, blizzard parties. We do very well in blizzard parties when you boys stay up all night and you're drinking and you're just waiting for the storm to pass with all the snow dumped on top of you, and then you've got to dig out of it. And for some reason, our show goes very well with massive.
Speaker 1: Amounts of alcohol.
Speaker 3: I am told the show is better with massive amounts of alcohol and at any even as we learned a couple weeks back on the Overnight Show, the amount of people that could be listening who are inebriated is amazingly large, right. The people that are completely schnockered, if you will, is a massive, a massive amount of people, and a lot of them obviously at night. But the the statistic that I saw at any given time, zero point seven percent of the global population is completely hammered, right obliterated.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: How many other ways can I say is they're they're pickled over, they're whiskey frisky. I don't know what else I can say anyway, zero point seven percent or zero point seven percent of the global population. So that means right now, as I am doing this podcast, there are roughly fifty seven million men and women, we hope not kids, but men and women who are hammered right now. All right, have a wonderful rest of your Friday, and Danny G will be back tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow is another day, and we will have brand spanking new podcast on Saturday and Sunday, our final couple of the shows for the month of September.
Speaker 1: So you know what to do.
Speaker 3: Click that like button on the podcast, Tell a friend and we'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 1: Got a murder, I gotta go.