Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy centralow.
Speaker 2: I'm the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's.
Speaker 3: America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 1: This is The Daily Show.
Speaker 4: With your host Jasey Line.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Daily Show.
Speaker 5: I'm Sandy Lighting, and I will be your host all week unless the Supreme Court strikes that down. They love ruling against women. It's that fun game we play. We got a great show for you tonight, so let's get into it. With our ongoing coverage of Indecision twenty four, let's kick things off with Nikki Haley. She made a big announcement today, but it wasn't the one we were all expecting.
Speaker 6: Some of you, perhaps a few of you in the media, came here today to see if I'm dropping out of the race.
Speaker 7: Well I'm not.
Speaker 5: Okay, we'll just wait another week then.
Speaker 7: Do what you want.
Speaker 5: But it's not a good sign for your campaign if you have to keep announcing that you're not dropping out of the race. Nikki Haley's campaign has reached the guest who doesn't know when to leave the party stage. Republican voters are like, ooh, oh god, I got to wake up early tomorrow, and Nikki's like, oh.
Speaker 7: Let's start a game of risk.
Speaker 5: And if this speech was supposed to convince people that she should stay in the race, I'm.
Speaker 7: Not really sure it did.
Speaker 6: We've all heard the calls from me to drop out. The argument is familiar. They say I haven't won a state, that my path to victory is slim. They point to the primary polls and say, I'm only delaying the inevitable. Why keep fighting when the battle was apparently over after Iowa.
Speaker 5: She's making a really good case against herself. They say my campaign is making everyone sad, that I'm a born loser whose own mother wouldn't vote for her. They claim I have a fourteen percent on Rotten Tomatoes and I'm.
Speaker 7: Not even a movie anyway. What were we talking about?
Speaker 5: Although, look, if Haley wants to stay in, it's her right. If her strategy is to just hope that Donald Trump goes to prison for life, she wouldn't be the only one.
Speaker 7: Game recognize game.
Speaker 5: Speaking of Donald Trump, it's been a week now since Russian dissident Alexi Navalney mysteriously died in prison after devoting his life to fighting Vladimir Putin's dictatorship, and Donald Trump honored him in the only way he knows how, by making it about himself.
Speaker 2: The former president, for his part, weighed in yesterday evening. What he did was he shared an opinion piece on his social media website that compares President Biden with Vladimir Putin and compares himself with Alexi Navalney.
Speaker 5: This is utterly disgusting. But I have to give Trump credit. I didn't realize he could make analogies way that He's got the double Collins and everything. My little guys ready for the SATs. But yes, it is unacceptable to compare Navalney with Trump. Navalney sacrificed his life for democracy. Donald Trump tried to sacrifice Mike Pence's life.
Speaker 7: To kill democracy.
Speaker 5: You could not find two men who are further apart than these two. Now, if you're stupid enough to believe that Donald Trump is a courageous freedom fighter like Alexi Navalny, then good news.
Speaker 7: Trump has some perfume he'd like to sell you Trump branded cologne.
Speaker 4: It's called Trump forty seven, with the former President's.
Speaker 7: Head at the top of the bottle.
Speaker 4: According to the website selling the cologne, it smells of a crisp opening of citrus blends into a cedar heart underpinned by a rich base of leather and amber.
Speaker 5: The last time Trump was underpinned by a rich base of leather and amber, Amber had to sign an NDA. Also, I love the shape of that bottle. Is that cologne or a vibrator from hell? The first vibrator that doesn't believe in the female orgasm. I think that this perfume is just a quick grift to help Trump after he was hit with a three hundred and fifty five million dollar judgment for fraud, and based on their at campaign, you would be.
Speaker 1: Right confident sexy guilty of fraud. Introducing Victory forty seven the new fragrance from Donald Trump.
Speaker 7: That's definitely not a desperate cash grab.
Speaker 1: You want to smell like this, and now you can grab her by the nostrils. Donald Trump is an icon of grace and masculinity. Take a whiff of Victory forty seven a cent that tells everyone, I want to help a millionaire pay off as rape lawsuit. Buy a bottle my ten thousand bottles, Send Donald Trump money he really.
Speaker 7: Needs this, or get your condo.
Speaker 1: Victory forty seven is now available next to the discount candy at your local CBS victory forty seven. Smelling this good should be.
Speaker 7: Illegal, and it probably is.
Speaker 5: Mappy, big talking perfume is undignified for the front runner for president.
Speaker 7: Excuse me, don't worry, it's not just perfume.
Speaker 8: Donald Trump introducing a new sneaker line at a shoe conference in Philly over the weekend.
Speaker 9: This is that big crowd appearing at sneaker Con in Philadelphia.
Speaker 7: We're going to remember the young people, and we're going to remember sneaker Con, your sneakerheads.
Speaker 9: Ryan, the former president, took today to promote a money making deal, having struck a naming rights agreement for a limited edition sneaker line, the most expensive pair in the series, selling for three hundred and ninety nine dollars.
Speaker 1: That's the real deal.
Speaker 3: That's the real deal.
Speaker 5: Finally, a sneaker that won't make me feel bad when I accidentally step and shit, No, I'm kidding. What is actually the perfect shoe to tell the world you're about to lose a game of one on one by fifty points. To be fair, though, at least when you give money to Trump you actually get something in return.
Speaker 7: If you give money to Democrats.
Speaker 5: All you get is fifty thousand emails asking for more money send me a body spray Nancy, but I don't know who am I to judge. I'm still wearing crocs from the first time they were popular. To find out what real sneaker heads think about these shoes, we sent our very own Josh Johnson to investigate what's up world?
Speaker 3: I'm Josh Johnson, and Donald Trump just released his new Never Surrender high tops. There's only one thousand being released and four hundred bucks a pop. They will probably not put a dint in the judgment against him. So I hit the streets today and talk some real sneaker heads to see if these.
Speaker 7: Are cops or dropped they know.
Speaker 10: Now, what do you.
Speaker 7: Think of these sneakers?
Speaker 8: You know, it's very patriotic.
Speaker 11: I think that there's no rules in fashion.
Speaker 7: Okay, were whatever you want, but me, Percy, I would not. Would you copies you? You wouldn't know hard past. It looks very two thousand and nine dated. Actually they look like they don't bend. What are your thoughts on this shoe?
Speaker 3: Trying to be sheep? Okay?
Speaker 7: Well, also very nationalistic?
Speaker 5: Gotcha?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 7: Would you wear the shoe though? Okay?
Speaker 3: So you think if you wore these two school you might get like roasted up? Yeah, because like, what great are you in seventh You're in seventh grade?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 7: How tall? Six to one? I played basketball?
Speaker 3: You should do you think there's a sort of like mic situation where as soon as you put them on, you get indicted, probably if.
Speaker 2: It's not indicted by the judicial system, if you indicted by society.
Speaker 3: Do you think they go up even higher or they go down if he goes to jail.
Speaker 10: I think if you go together, probably going like twenty k sign crazli. Really, people are nothing like that.
Speaker 3: I'm wearing these, right, I get robbed, they get taken off.
Speaker 8: You're not gonna get rout for those brothers.
Speaker 7: Okay, that's good to know. So this is really like robbery repellent right here.
Speaker 5: So people might try to give you tips on fashion, like why are you wearing those?
Speaker 11: Okay, shoes are very symbolic of who you are as a person, So if you have dumb shoes, might be a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are pretty bad.
Speaker 10: But what about your shoes, Doug, What those are some dirty ass shoes?
Speaker 7: Bro steak asshoes. Hell, no, beut to run a marathon it's really about It's really about traumpa, is it?
Speaker 12: You're lucky bigger than me?
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 5: When we come back, we'll find out the last way Alabama has made history.
Speaker 7: So don't go away.
Speaker 13: Welcome man to.
Speaker 7: The Daily Show. Ever since Roe v.
Speaker 5: Wade was overturned two years ago, women have been predicting that conservatives would go after other reproductive rights next, and people said, ha, there go those hysterical women being hysterical again.
Speaker 7: Well guess what this.
Speaker 12: Morning a first of its kind decision by the Alabama Supreme Court that could put families access to fertility treatments in the post row era at risk. The case in question involved a patient who managed to access the freezer storing frozen embryos at an Alabama fertility clinic. The patient picked up multiple embryos and mistakenly dropped and destroyed them. The state's high court says that patient can now be held liable in a wrongful death lawsuit. The court determining frozen embryos qualify as people under its state law ruling born children are children without exception based on developmental stage.
Speaker 7: That's right. The bar has been moved again.
Speaker 5: From now on in Alabama life begins when a man notices his first cousin is hot. Just to clarify what's happening here, tens of thousands of women have children using IVF every year, and since it's not possible to do that without creating some excess embryos, the state of Alabama has now ruled that starting a family is basically murder, you know, pro life. And the way this ruling happened is so crazy. This wasn't even intentional. They just dropped a test tube.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: Back in my day, we had something called the five second rule and it was sacred. And I'm sorry, but it's just weird to say that frozen embryos are legally the same as children.
Speaker 7: Last time I checked, you're not allowed to store kids in the freezer.
Speaker 5: And yeah, yeah, I have checked, And now I'm on some kind of CPS watch list. Don't get me wrong, embryos are extremely precious to potential parents, but technically they're just jiz and eggs. That's not a child, that's an appetizer. At a very avant garde Brooklyn Ressant. For more on this court decision, We go live to an IVF clinic in Alabama with our very own Ronnie chain, Ronnie, Ronnie.
Speaker 7: What do you think the fallout will be of this?
Speaker 11: I'll tell you what the fallout is, DESSI turns out I'm a father. Now that's ry. I say hello to little Ronnie Junior. I love, he's gouts, Dad's eyes rocking my baby. I don't know the rest of the lyrics to that.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, I can tell you're running a scam. I just don't know how yet.
Speaker 11: No, no, no, this is not a scam.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 11: This is a eagle child into state of Alabama, which means I get all the benefits of being a dad without having to be a dad. I get to claim him on my taxes, I got paternity leave, I gotta hang out at the McDonald's ball pit without getting hassled. I mean, best of all, he's my excuse to get off shit I don't want to do, which reminds me, hey, can we wrap this Uparadi, because I gotta go feed my son.
Speaker 7: Wait, how do you feed an embryo?
Speaker 11: You just pour a little fish food in here.
Speaker 10: Look, lor Lork, here comes the play.
Speaker 4: Don't don't worry.
Speaker 7: It's organic.
Speaker 5: My god, Ronnie dropped the act. I know you hate kids.
Speaker 11: No, no, I just hate your kids.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 11: It was like waving at me, hello, goodbye, not for ready.
Speaker 5: I get it, Donnie, you're making a mockery of parenthood.
Speaker 11: Hey, well, okay, we'll take care of the stave of alib them out, okay, because according to them, this is a human life and it's so precious that people might go to prison for messing with it. So that means I'm a dad free and clip.
Speaker 10: Oh no, Ronnie Junior, Oh.
Speaker 7: Shit, oh shit, that's the cops.
Speaker 11: Okay, I thought we defunded those guys. Deessy, I gotta flee the state, okay, you Jessey shit, Okay, all right.
Speaker 5: Good Mark, Ronnie, Ronnie Jay, everyone, we come back tonight. Gerrera will be joining us, so don't go away.
Speaker 7: Welcome back to the Daily Show. My guest tonight is.
Speaker 5: An actor and playwright who's the co creator and star of the new AMC mini series The Walking Dead The Ones Who Live. Please welcome Deny Guerrera.
Speaker 7: Thank Carol, Oh my women. That's a good welcome.
Speaker 13: Yeah, beautiful guys, Thank you, guys.
Speaker 9: We're happy to be you and.
Speaker 7: I'm happy to see you.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for being here I am I being such a fan of your work. You're an incredible actress, and you command such a presence every time you're on screen. These roles that you play, you play these extraordinary, powerful, resilient, katana wielding women. Do you ever feel like you just want to like take a break and play Linda from HR?
Speaker 7: Are you know?
Speaker 13: As long as you dresses cute, Yes, that's.
Speaker 7: What I missed. I miss wearing cute clothes when.
Speaker 6: I go to work.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I don't even think about that. Not just not having blood smeared everywhere.
Speaker 13: Yeah, like that's the makeup. You know, you still go smearing and like dust. Get some more dust on here, get some more dirt.
Speaker 8: That's perfect.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you still want to kill zombies?
Speaker 13: Yeah, don't take away the katana now, No, let me hold.
Speaker 7: On to that.
Speaker 5: I think you're managing it. You managed to kill zombies.
Speaker 13: I mean in HR with a katana?
Speaker 5: Sure, Hey, I think it's an asset. You know, we don't even have HR here, so our budget got cut.
Speaker 7: That's not true. We'll edit that part out. You.
Speaker 5: What's so interesting to me about this series is that you're not only acting in it, but you executive produce, you co created it, you write on it. Was it challenging just juggling all the hats and one project, Well.
Speaker 13: It was actually it was really cool because from where you start you get a role like what was that like twelve years ago, and it's in this show that was massive at the time, and it was just like, I'm just hoping I can keep this Katana in my hand and not drop it and when they're shooting, and then to go through this whole arc with the character and the journey she's had, which has been tremendous and I'm very thankful for how she was written. And then to go into actually creating the spinoff that like completes her story with the man who she loves with Rick Grimes, that was a very cool arc. I mean the interesting parts of it were. Of course, executive producing is a lot of work, but then I was also there was an episode that I wrote that I was show running and Scott Kimpole was like, don't talk to me, talk to her.
Speaker 8: It's all her.
Speaker 13: And you know, there are times I'm like in this very intense episode and then I noticed that the corpse and the scene doesn't look dead enough, and I'm like special effects makeup. Can you just help me with this a little bit? So I have to jump out I'm the shown and make sure she looks good in three weeks did and then and then jump back into the role.
Speaker 5: Of course, the Walking Dead fans are going to devour this like a zombieyond flesh, But truly it stands on its own. If you haven't watched the series, it's it's its own beast.
Speaker 13: Yeah, thank you. I think I think that's true because it really is the epic love story of the series.
Speaker 7: And if you.
Speaker 13: Haven't watched it, you can really just latch in because you can see what's happened to Rick and what's happening with Micheown and how they come together and what happens there. So it really kind of stands on its own.
Speaker 7: And yeah, it was.
Speaker 13: It was an interesting journey to actually get the opportunity because Walking Dead was such a jogonnaut of various narratives, big villains, and lots of things going on. So to actually step into just these two and their journey and a love story in the apocalypse was it was. It was really really fun and intense.
Speaker 5: Yes, you can feel that I can't wait to maybe you would consider sneaking me the rest of the episodes because I don't think I can wait until they come out.
Speaker 7: You don't mind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Now, the Walking Dead franchise is considered a sci fi zombie apocalypse. But are you concerned when you look at the state of the world, is it becoming a little bit more of a political drama.
Speaker 13: I think they've been neck and neck for like ten years.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I mean what I love about The Walking Dead and what attracts me to because I was scared out of my mind of horror. But what attracted me to it when I was asked to audition for it in like twenty twelve was the fact that you know, it was about people, characters like who would and everyone was like what would I Who would I be if the world end and if everything that was convenient to me and normal to me just was gone and everything was just totally upended? Who would I become? And I think that is actually what attracts people to it. It became like this family show, Like we meet people like seven year olds to seventy year olds who were watching it with their family every week. It's how like there's bonded with their fourteen year olds. I mean, it was kind of amazing to see that it was having that effect. But I think it was really just seeing people, all types of people navigate something that you can't imagine, but then you almost can. Yeah, and then everyone's like, Okay, what would I do? What I become? If people tell me what they got decked out for the you know, the bad day that could come, they've got it all in their garage.
Speaker 7: And preppers jes Day preppers.
Speaker 5: What's the craziest thing that a prepper has ever told you that they're collecting.
Speaker 13: Wow, that's a good question. I mean, you know, I've heard a lot about peanut butter. Yeah, people like their peanut butter.
Speaker 7: Yeah, people love peanut butter. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I collect that just jars and tubs. I hide it under my bed just in case I want a midnight stack.
Speaker 7: Listen, there's nothing like a good speed of peanut butter. I have some under this desk. You want some?
Speaker 5: Share your birthday? Just past Happy birthday? Her birthday's on valid? Yes, to celebrate you wrote this beautiful post. What was behind that message? And tell us a little bit about the foundation.
Speaker 13: Yeah. I created Love our Girls because I just think Valentine's Day is just it's just such a sucky holiday.
Speaker 7: What is it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 13: You know, people are expecting things like give me roses and candy and like, you know what I mean. But I think it is beautiful in the sense that it's about love and would I was trying to like repurpose it about six seven, eight years ago when I had a show on Broadway and it was an all women play, and I just wanted to, like say, what if this day that has always been associated with the dye was born so I can never disassociate from it. What if it was just about love and loving girls more so that a lot of the things that they face and the discriminations they face, and the struggles they face and the celebrations that they face just get more attention on that day. So I decided to make that kind of the theme of the idea of Love Our Girls, which is just like an information hub. It's just about learn more about what girls and women are doing around the world and celebrate them and support them. And you can can't create advocates until you create information or just share information. So that's really all it is. It's just an informational hub to like celebrate women and girls and show them love.
Speaker 7: Oh so beautiful.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for the work that you do, all of the work, and I cannot wait to finish the series.
Speaker 7: You're incredible in it.
Speaker 5: The Walking Dead The Ones Who Live premieres February twenty fifth on AMC and AMC plus Deny Guerrera.
Speaker 7: So we'll be right back after this. That's our show for tonight.
Speaker 5: But before we go, please consider donating to the Yellowhammer Fund. They're an organization that supports reproductive justice in Alabama. If you can, please donate at the link below. Now Here it is your moment of zen.
Speaker 8: Now, this is hardly the first surreal product that the former Present Cident has promoted. There was trump ice and ice trays, vodka, coffee, steaks, a cutting board, cookies, jellybeans, red solo cup of flask in the shape of a football, a honey dipper, urine test hits, a magazine, a board game, a speaker, gold colored airbuds, cologne, his and Her luxury robes, scented candles, mattresses, pickleball paddles, a USB drive in the shape of a gold bar, mortgages, diplomas, NFTs, and never surrender merchandise, of course, featuring his mugshot.
Speaker 11: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching the Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 7: Get your podcasts.
Speaker 9: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 8: This has been a Comedy Central podcast