Speaker 1: Hey, that folks. It is Thursday, August sixth and she was crowned Miss North Carolina just a month ago. Today she's waking up the ex Miss North Carolina. So what did she do to lose the crown? Yeah, you guessed some old social media posts And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. They they got a little love islandy here on this thing, didn't they? This seems familiar?
Speaker 2: Yes, this has been a theme this summer specifically. But yes, twenty seven year old Britney Bolton House, who yes, up until yesterday, was Miss North Carolina USA twenty twenty six and was supposed to compete in the seventy fifth annual Missed USA contest exactly three weeks from tonight. And look, as a former pageant contestant, I can tell you when you get to these big state levels and then go on to the national championship, there is so much work that is going on behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: To get you ready for everything.
Speaker 2: So to have this happen just weeks before the big national Miss USA televised broadcast competition, this is a huge deal and it had to rise to a very high level for them to strip her of her crown just a few weeks before Miss USA.
Speaker 1: Okay, rises to what level some social media posts. Look, we've seen this plenty of times. Folks who have never heard of her had no idea she was Mith North Carolina can already guess possibly what got her in drum?
Speaker 2: Yes, so I'll say this Officially, it's vague. Officially, we heard from the producers of the Miss North Carolina USA pageant, and we've heard from the Miss USA pageant, and they are dancing around what many many outlets are reporting that. Yes, some old social media posts came to light where she used the racial world that no person who isn't black can say the N word.
Speaker 3: Yes, and they did reference that.
Speaker 2: Whatever it was that she said, it wasn't a one off, It wasn't an oopsie. It was a repeated pattern of abuse, so to speak.
Speaker 1: Yes, they wanted to make that point. Does it matter if it was one as a matter of if it was two, Like, how many times do you need to say the N word and you're not a black person before you say, ooh, you know what two is our limit? I mean what I don't necessarily understand that. But they say they didn't have to make that call because apparently from what's out there, she was a regular user of the inWORD uh, that is correct.
Speaker 2: And they did say this that Brittany will soon issue her own statement, and they say that they have done this deliberately because they want her to be the one to speak about this in her own voice, and they wanted to honor that.
Speaker 3: But here's what they did say.
Speaker 2: The miss USA organization does not tolerate racism, homophobia, transphobia, nor language that strips any person of their dignity, whoever they are. They said, a title isn't a trick. It it is a position of trust extended by an organization and accepted by a woman who agrees that to carry that standard in public. I thought it was interesting because this is what they went on to say. When that standard is broken, the title cannot continue as though nothing happened. What was brought to us was not a single moment. It reflected conduct over an extended period of time. That is why this outcome was reached and I stand behind it without qualification.
Speaker 1: They put on a long statement that said a lot without saying enough. For whatever reason, so they I don't know, maybe they didn't want to embarrass her. More clearly. They know whatever was presented to them and they just chose not to share. Now, I didn't expect them to put out every message that came to. Their attention to it was vague. It's like she hit everything, racism, trans galmophobia, everything.
Speaker 2: But I haven't seen anything other than the N word. So the allegations NC BEAT North Carolina Beat.
Speaker 3: It's a local news outlet.
Speaker 2: They actually have a list of social media posts they say that they have verified between twenty seventeen and twenty nineteen. You can look at it for yourselves. But it is repeated, it is casual, it is comfortable, It absolutely appears old.
Speaker 3: She's twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven now correct, This stuff goes back nine plus years.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, she would have been a teenager at the time. And it was all posted under the name of Sosa, this Stallion, and she goes by Sosa, Mama Sosa. Her middle name is Alandra, so she used this name Sosa beat. Alandra was her online persona, and she called herself Sosa the Stallion, And under that name, there are a number, as they pointed out, not just one, but a lot of posts that do use the N word that talk about or brag about being a toxic person. And look, you know this, A lot of the arguments have been made. When you saw the Love Island controversies pop up, people say, this was from ten years ago. I was a teenager. I didn't know what I was doing. A mistake shouldn't define someone's entire life.
Speaker 3: But look, they.
Speaker 2: Went and went through these social media posts and it was a pretty quick swift decision once they saw the totality of them. But I do appreciate your point. Is one time using it enough or do you have to show a pattern of abuse? Does it need to be a year's long experience where you are misguided or too young to understand? And look, does it matter her ethnicity in all of this.
Speaker 1: I wonder what they said to her. I wonder if they had a conversation with her. I wanted they gave her an opportunity.
Speaker 3: They did so.
Speaker 2: They did specify that the decision actually was made together with her, her state directors, and in consultation with the miss USA organization.
Speaker 1: In consultation. What does that mean? She she gotta say she got to vote. I don't know about that. She gotta say in consultation. And we all agree those.
Speaker 3: Are the words that they use.
Speaker 2: That those are the words that miss USA organization used specifically.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I get it for folks who don't, uh. And if you're not going to track these down these messages that are out there, she is. At least I haven't seen a single one in which she was referring to someone and calling them this name in order to be racist. If you are reading these posts, you would just assume a black person was writing them, because she is talking like a young black person would talk, a kid would talk, from language you hear all the time in certain circles. Nothing surprising about what I read. To be quite honest with you, you say it came from came from somebody that's not black, and that will raise alarm bells now the decision they made. Look, people can be offended. You know, I'm one that's not offended by the N word because I'm from Arkansas, I'm from the South. I've been called at plenty. Just that just doesn't phaze me. I just don't get wound up about it. It's offensive and shouldn't be used. We're on the same page at least we should be roll This is this is this is one where a woman was the background Honduran and Mexican.
Speaker 2: She's Honduran and Mexican. She's fully Latina. Her parents were immigrants.
Speaker 3: She speaks Spanish.
Speaker 2: She grew up in North Carolina, some smaller little town. Yeah, it was a smaller town in North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Who did she grow up around? I would like to know, because this is a thing, uh, And it's very much a public thing for some that grow up in Latino communities right next door to black folks, and they grow up with black folks, and they grow up hearing that word all the time, and they grow up using that word all the time around black people who they believe are giving them permission to do. So you become a part of that community, and because your skin is brown, sometimes you're able to get rid of it. Fat Joe throws the in word around all the time. He's a rapper for a Dominican, no Puerto Rican and Cuban. I think it is his background, but he grew up in the Bronx group around black folks. He wraps all day long. There's a line in the song who the F Gonna tell Me? That I can't say hmmm, And then he says it and no, no, no, no no. He says it like seven times. He makes a point of it in even one of his songs. I'm saying, some complicating factors come in to where I don't know who's running that that that pageant, who is sitting down and was willing to listen to her about why about why you were so comfortable at seventeen eighteen years old to do this. I don't know if she could have given anybody sitting across the table from her that's white an answer that they would understand. But I like the idea of having the conversation robes. It's okay that we're having it and she doesn't have the crown, But imagine the conversation that could be had if she had the crown. She could go out and promote and talk. I screwed up. It doesn't have to be the end of your life like there was an I just you know how I am about throwing people away. I don't think we're throwing her away. Fully what this is. I think this is not a racist woman necessarily don't know her, but I'm saying the way she was talking, she's talking in a way that I'm very familiar with Some Latinos talking and getting permission from some black folks to talk that way.
Speaker 3: Babe.
Speaker 2: That is so fascinating, And you are right. White people don't get it. We don't get it. We know we're not supposed to say the N word, but we don't understand why some people would and would feel comfortable with it. And what you just explain, I think a light bulb might have gone off for a lot of funks. You're not giving permission or saying it's okay, but explaining the why behind it.
Speaker 3: And you're right when you look at.
Speaker 2: These social media posts that are connected to her, they aren't calling someone out for being something. It's just using the word in everyday conversation that seemed very comfortable and very common.
Speaker 1: Oh it's loose, it was no can you what does it? I won't even put a social media post up with the N word. I won't because you just don't do that. That's not appropriate. You don't. She was comfortable and she's seventeen, eighteen or whatever the time. Yeah, it's not an excuse. Please, the announcement should be made once again, if you are not black, don't use the innword. That is the rule.
Speaker 3: Even if you're brown. Even if you grew up around doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter, doesn't matter what group of black folks you grew up in your little town in North Carolina. If they gave you permission. The folks from Memphis, where I'm from, didn't give you permission, right, We don't know you like that. You just don't use it. It's the blanket rule, period. Nothing else talk about folks, nothing to talk about. Don't care who you are except for you Fat Joe. You know I love Joe.
Speaker 3: Well, why does he get a pass? No, Seriously, I'm.
Speaker 1: Curious because of where he came from and how he came up. And he has decades robes in the community showing himself being a part of the community. And he also robes came up with people who were in in and out of studios with their boy Fat Joe, who was just talking in the studio now and rapping the same way he's been rapping and talking to us on the street. And he's just gained that acceptance. I think most people looking at Fat Joe don't know what he is.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna get mad at him. Lean back and lean back. You ain't mad. You know my inwords, don't dance, we just pull up our pants. And due to rock Away, that's Joe, that's Cuban, Puerto Rican Joe. Is it Dominica? I need to get it right.
Speaker 3: But he ain't.
Speaker 1: He ain't black. His most popular song, he's dropping the word repeatedly. Nobody's calling for his head. So it's just I'm not excusing this, young lady. But there's a next question to ask before we just condemn. And so when that was my first thing, is she white?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Because when I first brought you this story, you started asking me all sorts of questions about her background, her ethnicity, if her parents were immigrants, if she spoke Spanish, And I was like, why does any of this matter? I didn't understand why you were asking so many follow ups.
Speaker 3: I just thought, it's wrong. What does it matter? So that is wrong, really fascinating is wrong.
Speaker 1: We are the same page as wrong. But I'm telling you a white girl who had posted all that stuff very different, I would have a different response.
Speaker 2: That's so I mean that, and that is why these conversations are important. And to your point about not throwing her under the bus to this to the extent that she can never actually have a life again worth living. I will say that the Miss USA pageant did put in their statement, and I think you might appreciate this.
Speaker 3: There is a young woman at the center of this.
Speaker 2: She has been named, examined, and judged in a public in public in a way that most of us would not survive. And she is still a human being with a family, a future, and a life ahead of her that is longer than this part of her journey. I will not run an organization that pretends otherwise. I have never believed that accountability requires cruelty, or that holding a line means enjoying the fall of the person who crossed it. Zero tolerance is a standard for conduct. It is not permission to strip someone of their humanity, which is after all, precisely the thing we are holding her accountable for doing to others.
Speaker 1: Too late, it's social media, she's going to get eviscerated. I don't know what conversation happening now about her. But it's a girl named Britney Bolton House.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, you immediately are imagining that's not a black person when you hear the name. I don't know how much people are going to look into her and what her background is and where her family's from and all this I don't know, and for a lot of people just don't care. She used the inWORD lose the crown. You should lose the jobs, you should lose, you should be completely condemned. You know how many non white women excuse me, non black women are walking around right now in their late twenties, early thirties, having a good old time career taken off, maybe young, married, got a child who got a whole list inwards, social media posts from the past and videos because they were jamming out in high school and college and just using in word, throwing around hip hop and all. Yes, haven't ever. Yes, there's a bunch of them out there like that, and so we'll see more and more. How many girls on Love Island, Billy?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's to this year, right, but it's go back last year there were another two. A different one was an Asian slur, but still same concept applies. All right, when we come back, we're gonna tell you about the new Miss North Carolina, USA. And guess what, she's a black woman. Welcome back everyone to Amy and TJ. We are talking about the Miss North Carolina US a controversy, and yes, we now have a new Miss North Carolina USA.
Speaker 3: She's twenty four years old.
Speaker 2: She was the first runner up and her name is Mila Hadley and she will now compete for the title of Miss USA. And yes, as I mentioned before the break, she is a black woman. And look, that's just the way it was. She was the first runner up, but.
Speaker 1: You probably should have run. Oh the irony what she probably should have won in the first place, probably got.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, but we did hear. So we're still waiting on Brittany.
Speaker 2: As of this recording, still haven't gotten a statement from her. But Mila Hadley, the new Miss North Carolina USA, was quick to update her Instagram. She already has her crown and Miss North Carolina twenty twenty six under her bio. But she did put out a statement and she said, thank you to everyone for all the support and love you've shown me.
Speaker 3: Throughout this entire process.
Speaker 2: I am extremely grateful and humbled by all the encouraging messages and the support I've received. I understand the seriousness and level of prestige that this title carries, and I can confidently say that both my team and I are ready to take this on. While this may seem like a two week turnaround, given the circumstances, I have been preparing to represent at miss USA since I first competed with this organization. I am ready to represent North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Gonna pull off with Kamala Harris here. I don't have time to prepare for the election, but do it.
Speaker 2: Look Look, the good news is that this was one of the later state pageants, So the point being, she was in pageant form and ready to go as of late June, so only a month has passed. So it's not as if suddenly she got rusty. And when I say got like, look, these women work out like crazy. Their bodies are fit as hell. You have the interview section, and so just you gotta brush up on your interviewing skills. You gotta make sure you're fit. You got to make sure your mindset's ready. But she's got two weeks before she heads to Miami, and then the competition again is exactly three weeks from tonight at eight pm in Miami.
Speaker 1: But imagine how wonderful a question I would have watched the pageant if you told me Bolton House was gonna be up there, and she was gonna have to in the interview section answer a question about saying the N word and what that means and what that represents. To do it on that stage, hot to pay attention, how to watch it.
Speaker 2: So I think it's so interesting because I never thought about it as a lost opportunity. But how do you think that would be received though generally speaking by the black community, that she would be allowed to keep her crown despite what was seen on social media. But given the opportunity to make amends or to have a teachable moment for folks out there.
Speaker 1: That's when we come into having letting some more reasonable voices come through that are our Our reaction to anything that goes wrong is just outrage. Let me immediately be outrage, and your outraged before you ask a question? Outrage? Then what is the uh? What's the thing? Not? Not aim? What is it? Aim? Shoot? What's the reverse order.
Speaker 3: Of the aam shoot? Fire? Fire? Shoot? Aim?
Speaker 1: Fire? You fire and then you aim right, you fire and then you That's what we do when we react to things. We just get outraged and then where does it go? We had to direct it to somebody, what do you do? And so I think there would have been some awful reaction. I think there would have been awful reaction from people who just hop on they see a headline and you respond to whatever click theait there is, bro this is this is happening enough on major stages with the same people every time, young non black women. Okay, let's have that conversation about what you should be doing, what you should be teaching your kids. Do we really need to tell folks again? Private public doesn't matter. Where you are, doesn't matter if you're sitting on the toilet by yourself. Don't utter the inward. Don't if you're not black. Just don't follow that general rule. It will save you your opportunity on Love Island that's coming seven years from now. Possibly. Yes, tell your kids you want to be on Love Island.
Speaker 2: Stop you want to run for office, you want to have any sort of basic public job or position these days now, your social media is going to absolutely determine your fate the in word.
Speaker 1: It's just crazy that anyone sit and again, I just maybe folks would take issue with what I'm saying. I'm just not immediately outraged and condemning. I support if they want the crown to be taken away I understand that, but man, what an opportunity to have a different conversation robes and it is does matter the degrees to which you get in trouble for saying the N word, even if you publicly you say it. If you're black, that's one thing. If you're Latina it's another. If you're white it's another. Yeah, those are just different levels of like first degree versus manslaughter with white folks and Latinas is a different crowd.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 2: That is fair, But I mean, I really think this is a fascinating conversation and with all the headlines, we need to be having more of them. But there is just this one basic rule to follow, and you said it very clearly and very plainly. There are no circumstances in which saying the N word is okay if you are not black, period, end of story.
Speaker 1: Well, Chris Rock has one scenario, but I'm not gonna get it, and.
Speaker 3: Fat Joe might be the only exception. That's what I learned. I didn't know this, I'm learning.
Speaker 1: I'm learning you would be surprised if some of the folks, prominent folks and then you know what, let me stop. Okay, we're good let'll just stick.
Speaker 2: With this all right, and without everyone, We always appreciate you listening to us.
Speaker 3: I made me Roeboch alongside TJ. Holmes. We'll talk soon.