Speaker 1: Why were you two minutes ago when they got to be out of character? Now you're telling me all this because I definitely let somebody get me out of my career today. And what I'm not gonna call me the unbothered kid. I have to bother ka.
Speaker 2: I was bothered all my life, grinding all my life, sacrifice, hustle, pet price, one slice, got the brother of geist swap all my life. I've been grinding all my life, all my life, the grinding all my life, sacrifice, hustle, bag price, one slice, Dtor brother of geist Swatch all my life. I've been grinding all my life.
Speaker 1: Hello, welcome to another edition of Club Sha Shay. I am your host. I'm also the proprietor of Club Shasha. And the guy that's stopping by for conversation on the drink today is a Grammy nominated artist, a multi talented pop culture icon, multi platinum singer, songwriter, producer, actor, dancing composer, author, megastar and one of the guys responsible to make your R and B. Isn't dead or isn't dying? O? Marion? Oh, what's up? Rock Man?
Speaker 3: Happy to be on club but I'm happy that you for having me.
Speaker 1: I'm happy that you gave me a little bit of your time, but I know you visit so I appreciate your stopping by.
Speaker 3: Man, it's love.
Speaker 1: Let's go back. Let's get to where it all started from Inglewood. Yes, growing up in Inglewood. You're the oldest of six. What did Marion want to be when he was growing up?
Speaker 3: Well, my mom was a young mother, a kid having a kid, both my mom and dad. She had me when she was sixteen, you know which, I would say that gave me a really big advantage, you know, aside from all of the other kids, because my mom allowed me to really just be myself, try things. You know, I definitely was interested in sports, you know what I mean. I did that for a little while. She supported me in acting and essentially, you know what I mean, she just gave me the free range too, you know, just be myself. This was you know, during the time when kids would play outside, you know, walk everywhere. You know what I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, so yeah, you know, you know, me as a kid was just an explorer, a discoverer, you know what I mean. I would say I was like a type of rough kid. You know what I'm saying. I love to, you know, play sports fight.
Speaker 1: You know. So what was your sport? Football? Basketball, you soccer, baseball? What was your sport growing up?
Speaker 3: Baseball? Basketball, and football. My mom didn't really let me play football, you know what I mean. But a lot of the neighborhood kids, they were on the Pop Warner team, so you know what I mean. They would bring their paths and I was able to fans that way. Okay, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that your mom had you at a very young age. She was sixteen. So would you say your mom did she Was she like mom's son or was she like more mother friend?
Speaker 3: A little bit of both. You know, I would say she, uh, definitely. As I grew as a young adult, you know what I mean, she became more like a friend. But you know, she still was a parent, you know. And I definitely got a shout out by Nana, you know what I mean, because she spoke over my life before I even you know, came, you know, which was we don't kill our babies because a lot of the time, when you know young kids are having kids, they're like, yeah, you need to exactly. But you know, I come from a strong lineage of you know women, and I'm so grateful, you know, because they taught me a lot about style and taste and you know what I mean. It's why I, you know, have a big fan base full of women. You know what I'm saying, You know what I mean, So shout out to the ladies.
Speaker 1: But you mentioned your grandmother that I was gonna get to that you were very very close with your grandmother. How did that impact your life in her passing? What did that do to a younger Mario?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it helped me just realize that we all have a really short time, you know, and it's important to you know, love each other. It's important to have you know, unders and you know it's i it's important to just spend that time, you know what I mean. And you know, having my nana as a supporter, you know, she helped me really un understand the importance of expressing my emotion, kay. And you know, she really introduced me to culture. You that they there used to be this thing in La called the African Marketplace and a lot of her friends, you know, we're in the conscious community as what they would call it now, but back then it was just culture. You know what I'm saying, I learned about you know, can't take cloth and oils and you know hair because my nana was uh a hairstyle and she actually used to have a shot back in the day. Right, So that's why my hair has always been my hair, you know what I'm saying, Because because of the ladies, because of my manner. Yeah, so I would say, you know, she just really you know, uh poured into me. You know, the importance of showing up and being a man, you know, because I didn't really have that growing up, you know what I mean. I have a great relationship with my father now, you know what I mean, but it wasn't a lot of men, you know, so essentially being the first born, you know, I kind of took on that persona and that responsibility of looking after everybody and you know, being a man.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that your you and your father have a great relationship. Now, I Don'm not sure how much he was around then, but did you is there something that you felt that you missed? You mentioned that how strong your mother was, how strong your grandmother was, and you know, being raised by strong black women, how did that shape you?
Speaker 3: It shaped me, I think in a great way. But you know, there was you know that avoid that that you.
Speaker 1: Know, things that only a man can teach a man exactly.
Speaker 3: And also you know, in understanding a woman, I mean because it was a lot of emotions, you know what I'm saying. So it's like I kind of got that too from women. You know, I would say, I'm aware, you're aware, Okay, yeah, because you know, sensitivity is just hiden awareness.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, you know what I'm saying. So I'm like, hey, you know what I mean. I could feel it too, your feel me wave man, hold on, what's going on? Because women have that, you know what I'm saying. And you know that was a gift that only a woman could really give you being around a whole bunch of emotional women. But for my for my dad, you know, my dad was around, you know what I'm saying. He definitely uh, like I don't want to say like he wasn't there. You know, he he was able to be there as much as he could, you know what I'm saying. And that's why we have a great relationship now because I understand in the grand scheme, it's like we all are working from a place that like, you know, we can only work from you know, from what we were taught, you know what I'm saying. And that's why we have a great relationship now, you know what I'm saying. So it was important moments like you know, throughout my career. You know that he wasn't just able to be present for it. You know that that was really important. And also you know the attitude and business and understanding you know, uh, that good balance between you know, emotions and you know, professionalism. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You're the father of three to two? Yeah, how different? How was how did your father you have in the relationship growing up with your father? How has that impacted how you raise your kid?
Speaker 3: I think that uh, you know, we are essentially you know, like you know, wanna become what we're what we feel like we lack ya you know what I'm saying. So I feel like it made me step into the role more, you know what I mean. And and again I will say that it wasn't that My dad wasn't that you know what I mean. He was definitely present as much as he could be. You know what I mean. He cut my hair, you know, he always you know, bought me things and you know, supported me the best way he could. And it's funny. I shared this, uh little story with you recently, maybe like two years ago. He was like, he was like, son, I ran into your old coach, your old basketball coach, and I was like, oh for real, And he was like, you know what, I realize, Like I never came to none of your games. I'm sorry, son, you know what I'm saying. And that was really powerful, you know what I mean, because I had forgot about that, you know what I mean. I wouldn't holding that against them, right, but you know, those are the things that's like, you know, as a man, you really realize, like when you have your own kids start really looking at your parents and seeing like, oh, well, my dad's you know what I'm saying, Yeah, yeah, an And he didn't really have this, so how could he give that to me, you know what I'm saying. So it wa It was definitely a a full circle moment, you know what I mean. So I I definitely don't blame my father, but as far as me being a parent in my kids, you know, because my mom is such a cool mom. You know, she introduced me to all of the great music. You know what, I mean, my style comes from my nana and my auntie and my mom. So you know I I do the same for my kids. You know one thing that we do when we uh uh cause I take them to school. I'm a very ye yeah, I'm involved that. You know when I when I take them to uh school in the morning. You know, I showed them all right, I show them samples. You know, songs that you know, come from back in the day that people sample now and they just love you know, those little nuances and things. You know what I'm saying, Like, you know that only only your parents can really show you.
Speaker 1: You know, who you actually are. They like that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I took Mega for his uh for his seventh birthday to go see Usher okay yeah, down in Vegas and it was such a great experience for him. Usher shadowed him out and was like, we got a birthday boy, Mega, So he gets it, he's like, you know. And also my daughter, she was mad about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she wants to be Beyonce. Ok yeah, yeah, she wants to be Beyonce. So we're working on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah she does come. I think it's up at the sofa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so were gonna pull up, pull up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna pull up all right, but you hope you can make that happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned you've played all the sports. But obviously you you're entertainer. You're a singer, started saying you started singing? When did you know you could sing? And this was the path that was gonna take you to where you wanted to go.
Speaker 3: Well, my mom was uh a dancer okay, yeah, uh she was a ballet dancer okay. And she loved hip hop so a lot of the times. And and she was a hairstylist, so a lot of the times when she was you know, you know, doing hair for uh, you know, Kurt Franklin, God's Property, she did Usher's hair, she did Jermaine Dupriez here. I will always be around, right, So entertainment was very easy, especially coming up in you know, Los Angeles, California. My mom used to work at this shop call Afro's of Hollywood on a Hollywood and Vine. So I'm very much like a entertainer kid, you know what I mean. I grew up you know, entertaining, so, you know, because she allowed me to kind of just roam and figure out what worked for me. You know, I I really have to give the credit to her, you know what I'm saying for uh, you know, me finding my purpose because you know, essentially, you know a lot of the time, you know, parents they want you to do certain things, you know what I mean. But my mom was like very much so like, oh, this is what you wanna do. Okay, well, this is how you do it, you know. Or you know, you wanna act, Let's take acting class. You want to dance, somebody, let's take a dance class, you know what I mean. So shout out to mom's she she was, she was, she was. She really helped me, you know, find my way. I actually was a rapper before I was a singer. Okay, Yeah, well I did this song called I Wanna Be Like Puff, you know what I mean. Yeah, back when Diddy was really popping, and my sister's father he was very much so in the music industry as well. So, yeah, music was just my thing. You know. Music really helped me express myself in a creative way, and it also was the junction for acting and for you know, all of these creative things in expression.
Speaker 1: So you started out in a group, yeah, and when you're in a group, there are a lot of moving parts. I mean, somebody could do this, somebody can do that, but when you go solo, you're the only moving part. You're the only thing that they see. Were you nervous? Were you apprehensive about going solo because you had had such success in a group?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that journey was really interesting because you know, it was a lot going on with the group at the time, and you know, essentially we separated and it was never my plan to quote unquote go solo the way. Really, yeah, it wasn't. It wasn't. It wasn't in my plan. You know, a lot of things were happening so fast, right, and it was like, all right, well, oh you know what I'm saying, like you going solo, and I'm like I am. So it was nerve racking, you know what I mean. But it was again, very natural for me to step into that that space. You know, even though it wasn't a plan. You know, the universe has an interesting way, yeah, you know what I mean, I have an interesting way of constructing things. And even though it felt like I was being ripped apart from my group because you know, we were essentially you know, brothers, you know what I'm saying, creating a bond, spending so much time together doing artists development. When you spend that much time, you know, just like a team. Yeah, I'm saying those those.
Speaker 1: People with those guys, you actual family.
Speaker 3: Exactly, you know what I mean. So the transition, I would say was nerve wracking, you know, but essentially, you know, when I find my footing and you know, I regained the confidence because I remember my first show that I had to do without the boys, and I was like, I was so nervous. I even may even shed a little tear, you know what I mean, because I was just not prepared mentally, you know what I mean. But I stepped into the spot, and you know, the success of everything definitely made it all right. Yeah, we dripping still. Okay, I got to work with some of my favoriteroducers, you know, uh for real Williams, you know what I mean, Uh, Timberland, you know what I mean. Like, so it wa it was a kind of meant to be kind of thing, even though it was like, oh my god, I w I'm not ready for this, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you a question. So when you say, okay, whose decision was that. Did you talk to your mom or was it a a manager does like, you know, you can do this on your own. Did you sit down and talk to your mom? Mom? They think I should go solo? What do you think? So? Who do you bounce that off of?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So at that time, you know, it was so so much you know, drama going on with the group and the separation between you know, teams, and essentially it was like I kind of found out on the spot. It was Yeah, it was like okay, yeah, uh oh, Marian is going solo. I would say. The lead up to that was on the Pandemonium album and B two K we all had our individual albums, which was kind of like, you know, like alright, you know, this person has this separate fans. Everybody loves this group member. Everybody loves this group member. So it was cool, but it was like the idea was kind of being introduced to us, you know what I'm saying. One of the other members was being presented with an album, you know what I mean, And it was kind of like we were all getting in that mindset.
Speaker 1: Of that everybody you know, you see like Jeffrey Osbourne Ltd. He goes solo, Philip Bailey Earth Winning Fire, he does solo. We see some of the guys that were from big groups do a solo project, but damn, it seemed like everybody had a solo project, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, being you know, the young you know, the youngest you know black boy band out there. You know, we did all have our own little set of fans, and everybody that may have loved this member loved this member. So yeah, even though I think that it was indicative to groups, like we were so young, we weren't even thinking about that. You know, we weren't even thinking in the head space of you know, what is the future hole like I want to be a solo artist. Think we were just really you know, being present, you know, trying our best to be present because our schedule was crazy. It was like, okay, you know, I'll never forget this schedule. When we dropped our album, we did all of the Burroughs in New York, and we started in the morning and we ended up, you know at night, you know, doing this big performance. So I don't think that we were even thinking about that, you know what I'm saying. We was just like having fun performing and being.
Speaker 1: Kids, right, did you, did you see it? Because you look at I don't know how I know, you're familiar with new addition and you see Bobby Brown does his thing, and now Transvant does his thing, and Ronnie Bobby they go out and do their thing. Did that thought ever cross your mind? Like, well, damn, you know, because everybody loved new additions and then eventually guys did their own thing and you see them, we see them back together now. But did that cross your mind? Did you think that might happen to you guys?
Speaker 3: No? I didn't. I didn't. I didn't know how things would happen, especially because we were like huge fans of five Heartbeats, so that was like one of our that was like one of our go to movies throughout And it's just so interesting how life is, you know, just stranger in fiction because it's essential. I mean essentially we kind of went through our own little version of that, you know what I'm saying. And I think that when you know, we're talking about kids in the entertainment business, you know, unless you really have a strong foundation, you're really subjected to, you know a lot of things. You know, we see so many you know, child celebrities that go through so many things when they don't have strong foundations. You know what I mean, I have to again, you know, shout out my mom's and my foundation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it seemed like your mom was always a mom and never a fan. Because sometimes they can get seduced by all the money that's coming in and they forget but that's my child, Yeah, and he's going astray or he's not getting proper guidance because of the money that's coming in, and they become a fan and they get subduced to the star of the limelight. But it seemed like your mom was always a mom. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And she was actually one of the few parents that were able to be there because she was the hairstyle as fuck for the group too. Okaka, you know what I'm saying. So my mom, Yeah, my mom was always with me. You know what I'm saying. My mom would always you know, do our hair. So yeah, I did have that other kind of support system.
Speaker 1: Were you shocked? I mean, you look at your debut album debut number one on the Billboard chart, you go platinum Grammy nomination. Second, I mean, were you surprised that how well you did out the gate?
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't even think about it like that. You know, I didn't even you know, it's crazy to say, you know, and now looking back on it in hindsight, everything was going so fast, right, you know what I mean. So I wasn't able to really essentially appreciate those feats, you know, I was. I was, you know, built as a workhorse. So it was like, oh, okay, that's cool, what's next? You know what I'm saying. So looking at it, and you know, looking back at it, I'm like, yeah, I'm like wow, you know what I mean, Like that was cool to be experiencing at such a young age, you know what I'm saying. But yeah, nah, I wasn't even tripping off of it. I was just like, yeah, I'm me. I'm showing up, you know what I mean. What's next?
Speaker 1: You're sitting the charts of the R and B pop, right, You're like like yeah.
Speaker 3: And also coming from you know, the B two K. You know what I'm saying, Like it, you know, it felt real easy, you know, it felt like that's how it was supposed to be, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Given the success of your first album album, how much pressure did that put on you? The second second album coming out, because you know, everybody wants to do better than the first and you want to prove that the first wasn't a fluke, that this is it. I'm legit right.
Speaker 3: Well, the second album, you know, still being able to work with you know, mega producers like Timberland and for real, you know, I felt like I was in good company. And actually that second album, you know, was probably of the most I ever got paid in an advancement, you know what I mean, being under Donnie Iinor and Lisa Ellis. So I was really starting to essentially step into more of a business mindset. Yeah, and so looking at that second album, I was just like, oh, okay, yeah, this is how it's supposed to be, you know what I mean. And also it was the transition that I figured out, you know, the importance of having champions inside of certain companies, because this is when the music business changed too, you know, after that album, you know, Ice Box still you know, being one of the biggest records you know that I had to date, you know, outside of oh in touch, you know what I mean. Like when Donnie Ironor and Lisa Ellis no longer worked for the company, that was like oh you know that was a big yeah, a big learning experience for me and also essential to growth, you know what I mean, because life is not you know, just full of grand successes, you know what I mean. Life is ups and downs and like, what's a story you know without ups and downs? You know what I mean. So while my second album was still a major, major success, I was beginning to experience, you know, the challenges of you know, not having champions in you know, in the building. Yeah, in my corner, you know what I mean. And again it was so essential to my growth. You know, any artist that tells you that's always good, it's like that's that's fake r. You know what I'm saying. So, you know, while this that was a successful album, it was also like, oh wow, I gotta switch things up, you know, I need to do different things. So great learning experience.
Speaker 1: But it seems to me that you've always stayed true to who you are and what you are. You haven't tried to follow a trend. You're like, I'm a Marion, this is who I am, this is what I do. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always try to show up in you know, spaces that way, because you know, we're all you know, individually going you know, on our own personal walks, and a lot of the time the industry and also you know, my peers, they like to you know, compete, you know what I'm saying. But the thing about competing in the music business is not the same as football. It's not the same as basketball, you know what I'm saying. Like we're you know, or even boxing or UFC, you know where it's like, all right, I want to fight and boom, we can shake hands, you know what I'm saying. It's like, no, you know, whoever's having the biggest year is having the biggest year, and it's like salute, you know what I'm saying. And you got to stand in that line until you figure out when it's your time again, you know what I mean. So I always like to show up as an individual and contribute what I can as an artist, you know what I'm saying, Because again, you know what I mean, Like everybody's here to give something different. Everybody has their own experience and their own walk, you know what I mean. And I've always stayed true to that, you know what i mean, realizing that, you know, my experience is different from everybody else's.
Speaker 1: Did you look across the bowl and like, wow, Okay, he really blowing up man doing his thing, and heap doing his thing. You're like, hey, I need to really get on my grind because hey, yeah, I'm still old.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean I've always been inspired, you know, by my peers, you know, to just you know, keep pushing that line and growing as an artist. And that's the that's the cool thing that I love about, you know, being a musician or an entertainer and you just in totality is it doesn't have to stop. You know what I'm saying, Like you can have a big success and you know, you could take a break and then you can come back. You know what I'm saying. That's what's different from sports. And I think that that's also what you know, attracted me to entertainment, you know what i mean, because you know, it's like the loving the game. You know, it's like why do you have to give it up? You know what I mean? And that's why I love seeing, you know, people in sports be able to take on different positions and sharing and helping people. And you know, Deon Sanders is one of my favorite players. You know what I'm saying, watching what he's doing it's like, you know, as as someone that loves what they do, it's like, yo, you know, who tells you got to quit or who tells you you can't have another hit at fifty?
Speaker 1: You try to be like Tom Brady, So you try, you try to do you be able to stay in fifty sixty five?
Speaker 3: Well, somebody got to show him how to continue to grow through this, you know what I'm saying. And a lot of my you know, favorite performers and dancers, you know, like Jimmy Slide and Nicholas Brothers. You know, they still enjoy themselves later in the latter part of their life. And it's like, that's that's what I want to do because I truly love entertaining. I truly love performing. It's really a gift.
Speaker 1: You still at a high level. But when you look back, is there something? Is there one or two things that you like? Man, I wish I could have done that differently, or I should have done that differently. Do you ever look back, although you're continually continuously still doing performing at a high level, Well, do you look back and says wish I could do this over again?
Speaker 3: Sometimes I think we all feel that way, you know, but it's like essentially it's like, ah, man, this is this was for you. You know, this was you know, I look at a lot of the the champions, you know what I'm saying, Like one of one of my well two actually two of my favorite UFC champions, you know, kamarow Uzman and what's my man name? Out of signya. It's real, out of science, you know what I mean. Like, you know, defeat teaches you so much. It shows you so much about you know, the things that you maybe need to sharpen, you know what I'm saying. So it's like, you know, in those moments that I felt defeated or if I felt like I would have changed anything, essentially, you know, it sharpened me essentially, it showed me what I needed to improve in. So you know, while it didn't feel good in those moments, you know what I'm saying, It's like, essentially it pushed me. It propelled me to get more into my craft, to become stronger, you know what I mean, Because like I said, life is for the ups and downs, you know what I'm saying. So a champion is a person that you know, takes you know, those moments and they continue to push forward. You know what I mean, It makes them better. So you know, I'm unstoppable in that way, you know, mentally, you know what I mean, like nothing can stop me. You know, even a proverbial loss, you know, which I call a lesson. You know what I'm saying, It's only helped me become better.
Speaker 1: When did you become this? Man? I mean, I get voice mails from you, I get text and it's always blessed day, Brother shah Man, and it's always so positive, so uplifting. When did you evolve into this? Mario?
Speaker 3: Well, I had to go through a lot. I had to go through a lot and essentially, you know, and I covered this in my book Bothered The Power of choosing joy, you know, this life experience. You know, essentially, being happy is our choice. It's no one else's choice. You know what I'm saying. It's not you know, up to any outside forces to you know, make you want to be happy, you know what I mean. So moving about the world in a positive way is something that I choose to do. And it's something essentially you know, if you if you talk if you talk to any of you know, my family or people that have known me, you know, I've always been this way. I've always you know, wanted to interject some positivity and love and good energy anywhere I go. So I would say this is just an evolved version of you know, the lil O Mari.
Speaker 1: You know, how hard is it to stay positive in such a negative world, especially now we have social media and it seems like anytime you do something good, there's fifteen people on there saying you did something bad, And anytime you do something positive, there's always a negative. How have you been able to stay so positive when everything seems to be around you that's so negative.
Speaker 3: I think is important to be able to recognize, you know, where you know that energy is coming from. You know, I think it's important to be able to take constructive criticism, you know. And also, you know, everybody's not gonna like what you do always, and they're not going to have the information to understand why, you know, you make those choices. So essentially, you know, I just drown out that noise and I continue to show up as myself, you know what I mean. It's annoying to some people because you know, negativity is such an easy thing to do. You know, it's easy to be you know, low vibrational, you know what I'm saying, and it actually takes effort to be positive and to like you said, yo, yo, what up, big brother Shannon? You know how you feeling that? You good?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like you know, that's an everlasting feeling, you know what I mean, When it's time for us to all go away from this experience, that's the type of effect that I want to have on this point.
Speaker 1: What's been the most difficult part of.
Speaker 3: Dealing with things and not understanding why you know what I mean, you know, certain pain and certain hurt and not really understanding like why am I going through this?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: You know, that has been not only essential to my growth, but also to my understanding you know what I mean as as a you know, very important people in my life would say, and also Jay Z said said this too is it's things is not happening to you, It's happening for you, right, you know what I mean. And I really live by certain philosophies and I really believe that, you know what I'm saying. It's like if you really think about, you know, some adverse experiences, it's like it's information in there for you to get right. You know what I mean, like, why are you going through this?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, you need to you know, think about what you're doing. You need to maybe not let certain things go, you know, you need to stand up for yourself. And essentially that's what you know, all my lessons in life a have uh showed me.
Speaker 1: What's been the most gratifying part about this evolution?
Speaker 3: I think, you know, not knowing how you affect people. You know. It's been so many times when people have uh come up to me and they just they like, yo, I don't know what i'm'a see oh again, but yo, I have to just tell you, like, you know, you helped me go through this break up, you know what I mean? Or you helped me get through this. I think that sometimes you don't really realize how much you can affect people, you know what I mean, until that person comes up to you. And it's sometimes it's so random, you know what I mean. I I remember I was in uh the UK, Uh, I was in London, and I just I was about to walk into this place, but I I wanted to, you know, just take a beat real quick, you know, and I just walk down this random, you know, side street and it was like, come down like six girls and they like, is that a warrion? Oh my god, we about to go to such and such and we love you. Can we take a picture. And it was just so random And it's just like I find that, you know, when you share certain energy with people, that energy it comes back to you, you know what I mean, in the most prolific ways. And you know, I'm not somebody that is always happy, you know what I mean. I have my moments, but those moments, you know, definitely boost me and made me feel like all of the work that I'm doing. It actually makes sense.
Speaker 1: You grew up in Inglewood. I don't know how many of the friends that you grew up with that you still currently have. But how hard is it to grow apart from people? How hard was it for you to grow apart knowing right that the evolution that you must go through. Everybody can't come along with the Maria.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it has at times, you know, felt lonely, you know what I mean. But essentially you know what I mean, because you know that's my favorite word. Essentially Essentially, you know, those that are meant to, you know, go on the journey with you. They'll grow with you. You know what I mean. And I made peace with that very early on because I started so young, you know what I mean. I only got to experience you know, a childhood, did you Yeah, I mean tenth grade. You know, I was out of school, you know what I mean. I went to Hamilton High. Shout out to all the Hamilton alumnis, you know what I mean. After tenth grade, I was on the road, you know what I mean. So I didn't have so many friends. I do still have my my one best friend, uh from third grade, you know what I mean. Yeah, so you know he's stuck with me, and I stuck with him, you know what I mean. So family has always been the nucleus for me, you know what I mean. So I never had to experience too many you know, people that were along my journey that's like no longer here. The people that are are here still, they're supposed to be here.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you missed out on anything in your childhood, because really you have to be a you really have to be an adult because now all of a sudden, like you're saying, from the tenth grade on, you're on the road. I understand you're a child in age, but you're really not a child in occupation. You're actually you know, you bringing an income and people are depending on you for their livelihood because your success is tied to their success.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, yeah, I mean yeah. Man, you know, it's a trip. It's a trip, you know, my whole experience. But I would say that, you know, early on, being you know, in such a supportive environment, I was able to find my purpose, you know what I mean. And you know, when I'm looking back, I'm like, wow, I'm so happy that I was, you know, so very young in my experience because now, you know, that has put me in a position to really realize why I still put music out. You know, I'm not sure why you know, others do things, you know what I'm saying. But if you're not tied to you know, purpose, and you don't have intention, then you can't you can't essentially whether the storm, you know, whether the storm of what people deem as unsuccess, you know, being unsuccessful. You know what I'm saying, Like, you know, you have to weather that. You know, this is this is a you know, a good and bad experience. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That people refer to you as the unbothered King, So you've learned I determine my success. I don't let the negativity. I don't let you say people say, well, that wasn't bad. I feel good when I was making this album. I feel good when I was making this song. So Okay, everybody's not gonna like it, but I felt good when I do when I put things out like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I have intention, you know, and my intention is to, you know, make someone else feel good, you know what I mean. And you know, whether that's one person or a billion people, you know what I'm saying, My intention still reigns.
Speaker 1: Bro, how do you say? So? Look, we all, like you said, we we we all get upset, we all get angry. But it seemed your calm demeanor is like you really never get outside of Oh yeah, Have you always been like that or that was? Is that a work in progress, that that's an ongoing work that you had to work on? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I think it's a little bit of both, you know what I mean. It's something that I've had to work on because certain situations has you know, called my emotions to heighten to a level that I wasn't prepared for. You know what, I'm saying, but essentially it still goes back to choice, you know what I mean. And I'm choosing to show up in the world this way. And you know, like I said, not everybody you know understands it, you know what I'm saying. Some people feel like it's unauthentic. You know. After the fans dub me mister unbothered, it was like people wanted to.
Speaker 1: Try to put you in a situation to get you by you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: They would have, you know, mess with me more. You know what I'm saying, and you know, having emotional intelligence, and this is what this is how I look at being you know, dubbed mister Bob. It's like, when you really think about it, at the end of the day, you know, when someone is you know, has the intent to pull you out your space, like you're gonna give them that power, you know what I'm saying, You're gonna really give up that power to allow somebody to, you know, make you turn into.
Speaker 1: Something that when they got me out of character. Now you telling me all this because I definitely let somebody get me out of my character. Damn, I need to hear this conversation. Two months ago.
Speaker 3: No, I said. I seen that clip and I was like, whoa, that's a lion on them court hold man, hey, get somebody. They can't even hold it. Wait a minute, I'm not gonna call me the bother king. I have to Bob, I would bothered.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I seen that and I was like, whoa, whoa? Hold on?
Speaker 1: What's going on? I said the same thing, like who is that?
Speaker 3: Dude?
Speaker 1: I'm like, but I'm looking at some of your ice Box, produced by Timberlin, peaked that number twelve on the Billboard, your most successful solo single to date, Will Smith is produced one of your music videos. What is it like working with some of these? I mean Tim, we know what Tim is the beat guy. Working with Will Smith, we know what he is as a as a rapper, as an actor, as an entertainer, producer, working with some of these all time great guys. So when you go into the studio or you go into it, you know you're gonna do the music video. What's on Amarion's mind? And does it always mess with what's on their mind?
Speaker 3: Yeah? For me being able to you know, brush arms with the Grays, I'm always trying to learn, you know what I mean. I'm always like, okay, so well, okay, that's what he did. Okay, Oh he's using that machine. Okay, okay, Will did it like this?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. So I've always essentially been a sponge and that's something that I've carried with me, you know what i mean. So to be able to work with the greats, you know, is an honor, you know what I mean. But I always I'm always in a space of learning, you know what i mean.
Speaker 1: So you I mean, you had a record with Chris Brown. Where's Chris Brown rank on the R and B charge?
Speaker 3: Oh man, He's he's top level. You know what I mean. He's he's high level. You know, maybe a little bit too late that, Yeah, I mean, you know, all of my peers, you know what I'm saying outside of whatever you know, personal things, you know what I'm saying, Like, we can't we can't never take the talent and skill and focus and ability away from him. So you know, C b Usher, you know, I would I would consider us, you know, in the class of Michael and James Brown's sons. You know what I'm saying, because you know, essentially we do the song and dance and the performing. You know what I mean. So, uh yeah, you know what I mean. So and in the ranking, you know what I mean. Usher definitely is a solo artist, you know what I mean. Then I would come come after that and then you know c B. You know, as far as timeline wise goes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at you guys. I mean, what type of physical conditioning must you be in to not only sing but dance for two hours? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, you definitely have to be a freak of nature. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: GM, You're working down a cardio every day.
Speaker 3: I just I just bunched down my twenty one days, yep, the day before yesterday, I finished my last twenty one days. But I'm constantly in the gym. You know, I'm constantly you know, still taking vocal lessons. You know what I'm saying. I'm still in the studio every day, you know what I mean. Like glowing.
Speaker 1: I feel, even though you've reached a certain level, you still feel that Amarjan can get better.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, y'all haven't seen the best. Y'all haven't seen the best. You know what I mean. I'm going to continue to grow as an artist and that as an individual. So yeah, yeah, y'all haven't seen the best.
Speaker 1: Who's on your current list of active R and B Mount Rushmore active active?
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 3: That's a hard one because you know, I listened to a lot of past music. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You want to do? You want to do a Mount Rushmore, You want to do a just go ahead and says, okay, my Mount Rushmore of R and B singers are okay, all right?
Speaker 3: Mount Rushmore of R and B singers, Donnie Hathaway, Frankie Beverly, mays Well, Frankie Bevery, Frankie Beverly, and Marvin Gaye. You know, Michael Jackson R and B a pop uh, He's definitely R and B. You know, you know pop music, you know it's been convoluted, but really pop music is popular music, you know what I mean. And Michael Jackson is one of the most popular artists of all time, you know what I mean. So he's definitely R and B. Stevie wonder you know what I mean? How many is that five?
Speaker 1: That's Rushmore? Got like six? Okay? Okay?
Speaker 3: Michael? And who who could be the last one? Who could be the last one.
Speaker 1: You got Usher, you got Chris Brown, of course, pend the Grass I'll beat up of.
Speaker 3: Course all of those guys. Harry Right, what about my man, Charlie Wilson. Yeah, what I'm saying, Yes, that's a great Okay. What about female female? Definitely Franklin Beyonce, who else?
Speaker 1: Anita Baker, Anita.
Speaker 3: Baker for show, Anita Baker? Who else? Who else touched my song? Whitney Kimbarell. Yeah, Maria's up in there too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you signed to a few rappers label and I mean you Lil Wayne Young Money Tamberlain moses the music. Is it hard to sign with a label when the label head is still produced putting out music, because it seems to me that while they're still trying to do their thing, they don't have the kind of time to focus and give you that what you need. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, you know with Young Money, you know, and uh shout out to uh Lil Wayne. You know what he was creating at the time, you know, which essentially we see now, you know, with Drake and Nikki and all of the other artists, was really just a artist haven to be able to do what you wanna do, right cause cause essentially, you know, real creative artists, they just need support, right, you know what I'm saying. And you know that's what my thought process was, you know. With you know, aligning with Young Money was not just you know, being able to go to you know, another artist and say like, yo, this is what I need. You know, can you do this business wise? Like Wayne was very much so like hey you wanna do that? Oh here, go to the check do this? You know what I mean? Same thing uh with with Mayback music, right, you know what I mean. Essentially it was just the artist supporting the artists, you know what I mean, and you feel the connection. You feel like there's a bridge between you know, an artists understanding that it doesn't always work out because there's some selfish ass artists out here. Oh yeah, they don't want you to be hotter than them. There's some artists out here that you know, they won't allow you to flourish like that, you know what I'm saying. But you know, the people that I've been able to associate myself with people.
Speaker 1: Realize that how much money is out there and there's enough for everybody to get some of it.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they do all of the time. Oh, I don't know if they do all the time. I think some people want to hog the limelight, you know what I mean. But you know, as Jay say, sometimes people don't realize it's not about that white hot light. I mean white hot light, you know what I mean. It's essentially about you know, creating things, you know what I'm saying, and having different businesses. You know, And he's definitely showed us how important it is to not just be an artist to do.
Speaker 1: They I'll just read he worked two point five b and if were net worth is double since twenty nineteen, So shout out to you.
Speaker 3: Hold yeah, for real?
Speaker 1: So what did you learn? I'm working with so many different music labels.
Speaker 3: That it's up to you. You know, you need to actually you know, have a team that makes checks and balances and that you know, communicate with people. Essentially the businessman that I've become to today. You know, all those experiences showed me that it's like, it's not up to anyone else, no outside energies. You know, it's up to me, right, you know, And because I started so young, I haven't always been able to do that. You know, There's always been you know, managers or certain people in the way right of that connection, you know what I mean. So, yeah, they just showed me, you know, like, hey, it's up to you, Oh right, it ain't up to them.
Speaker 1: You see, Like you look at a Michael Jackson, you look at a Chris Brown, you look at a Beyonce, yourself, people that started out as child entertainers and then have this long career as adults, how have you been able to maintain or manage that?
Speaker 3: I think by not being pigeon held by you know, uh, having one hit, you know, or having hits. You know, they call those legacy artists now you know what I mean, certain people that ever go on tour and do songs that they did in the past. Right While I think that that's important, I think it's it's it's even more important to continue to grow as artists, you know. And when I look at my predecessors and people that I look up to, like Michael Jackson and Marvin Gator, you know, when I realize how dope you know Stevie Wonder was, it was like it was immediate, you know, and now today's climate, you know, I think, uh, people that are born you know in my year, like Lebron. You know what I'm saying. We both eighty four babies. It's like we've seen him just grow, right, you know what I mean. And I think that that's what's so cool about now is that there's no limits, you know what I'm saying. You can just continue to get better, try different things, do different things. And I think that that is what is been, you know, essential to my success and staying relevant is I'm a fi I'm not afraid to to do new things, right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: What are some of the advice you would give the young and up and coming artists if you could sit down and there's some artists like, oh, w you know, we're new to the business, give us some advice. What's some of the advice that you would give a new, up and cooming artist.
Speaker 3: I would say, for perfect your craft, you know, don't put yourself in a box, don't allow others to put you in a box. And uh yeah, just try new things, you know what I mean. And also it's very important that you know whoever is representing you, you know, is representing you in the way you wanna be represented. Yuh, you know what I mean. I think that It's so important when we're talking about business. You know that people uh honor fairness, you know, because we as you know, this business isn't fair. Yeah, you know what I mean. And people always want things from you when you hot, you know what I mean. So realize you know that this is a up and down experience. This is a motion experience. This is not just a flatline, you know what I mean. And just continue to grow. Oh, you know what I mean. Perfect your craft, love what you do, find your purpose in it, and have intention.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: That is really what saved me from feeling like I wanted to quit or feeling like I wanted to, you know, give it up, you know, like, oh can he have anoether hit? I don't know why. It's like, you know, the public puts that on you. They put that on you. They put on you like oh he's old, or you know like, oh, well we've seen him do this before. But it's levels to this, you know what I mean. So continue to grow and yeah, do your best, show up as your best.
Speaker 1: What are some of the benefits and the drawback of social media Because not everybody's a producer, everybody is a songwriter, everybody has an opinion and it somebody says this, it can go viral in fifteen seconds, and then all of a sudden you're being talked about when what's your qualifications to judge what I did or who I am? Right?
Speaker 3: I think the pros of social media is that you know, it can get hot overnight, you know, And that was different from the time in which I entered into the music business, which was or the entertainment business, which was like you actually have to do the work, you know what I mean. But you can also burn out fast, you know what I mean? You can you can be hot. I mean, it's so many what do they call them, socialized social media personalities, your influencers that have been successful at one thing and then they disappear, and then you find them and then you see them on the street. You'd be like, oh what happened?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. So I think that, you know, there are some good things about social media and then there's some adverse things. You know, I won't say bad if you know how to navigate, you know what I'm saying. But you know, I think, you know, being intentional is important. You know, I couldn't believe that the o Marion challenge you know, came from you know, six years ago, this performance you know that I did. And then it was like you know, football players was doing and when they you know what I mean. Like, so you can have some incredible success from from you know, the internet, you know what I mean, But you can have some adverse things too, you know what I mean. You don't want no sex tape out there, you know what I'm saying. You want your ass out on it on the internet because they never go away, you know what I'm saying. So you know, I would just say, you know, be thoughtful. But I think that that is the good and bad thing.
Speaker 1: Well, you mentioned social media being catfish. There was someone that got catfish that went on Doctor Phil and say they were married or they were getting married to you and so the real own right catfish. So when you see that, you're like, man, come on, why would somebody do this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think that it's you know, the internet is you know, to certain people that don't. I heard Prince say this, he said, use the Internet, don't let the Internet use you, you know what I mean. And sometimes people are so gullible, you know what I mean. And it was really unfortunate that they young lady thought we were in a relationship. She was about to send this other person money. It's like, you know, I think we live in an age where you have to be mindful, you know what I mean. And it was real sad, you know what I'm saying, Like who wants to get taken advantage? So being catfish? And then also that show, you know what I mean, like that show coming into existence, you know what I'm saying, where you know, you think you're getting to know someone and you know it's they're not who they say they are. You know what I'm saying, Like it's just whack. You know what I'm saying. So you know, all the people out there on the internet, don't be naive, y'all. Okay you're not talking to Oh if you don't see the blue check, Okay, if you ain't see the blue check, I hit you with the slide in the DM, which I don't do too often, you know, Nah. I mean I mean, if you're looking good, Nona, No, I try I try to. I try to, you know way, Yeah, I think I think you know you have to kind of you know what I'm saying, have the boundary, Yeah, Yeah, have boundaries, you know, because you can have a good conversation online, yes, you know what I mean, but you need to meet them and that that needs to translate to you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So you got punk by Badwow. So which was so being punked on national television or being catfished?
Speaker 3: I think being punk because that's that's quicker than being catfished.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: You could be talking to you know, you could be thinking. You could be thinking that you're talking to Mary j Bos and it's scary j Block. You know what I'm saying. You thought you fall and fell in love with JB and you got scary JB. You know what I'm saying. So you got to be mindful people, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So you are kid star, mean because you've always been to live like you were in commercial for I think corn Pops and you had another commercial. So when you were like six or seventy and you're doing all these things, how are your friends reacting to you?
Speaker 3: Well, my friends with my family and because you know, I was so uh you know young, with my mom having a child, I was already famous. Oh that's so Mari you know what I mean. Oh, they're all right there, you know what I mean. So I always feel like I was essentially famous my whole life.
Speaker 1: So you've always lived quote unquote a fish bowl. People have always looked at you because you had this unique talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and energy and personality, you know what I mean. I was definitely that kid you know that brought my teacher flowers. You know what I'm saying, Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that wash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Miss Chase, shout out, Miss Chase. She was fine, And I knew that as a kid. I just didn't know what to.
Speaker 1: Do with it. You know what I'm saying, Old, you're looking at the teachers.
Speaker 3: She was fine. She had that smile. I was like, Hey, it's Chase. He goes some flowers.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna come back about ten years. Do you believe Do you believe Bow? Do you believe Bob gets the credit that he deserves, because I've seen on the internet people trying to clown him, pretending like he only had one or two hits, and Boo was like that he I mean, he was in movies. I mean he was obviously I haven't seen many movies lately, but he was at the top of the charts for a period of time. But he's he did that music. No matter what you think about it, he did that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean everyone that comes from you know, my era, you know of music, the stream tour, you know, c B Bow Wow like you know, unfortunately nowadays, you know, people like to chip away at artists, you know what I'm saying. I seen him chipping away at Usher too, and he's That's what I'm saying. But he's one of the few artists that has like a Diamonds certified album. So I think essentially it just comes with it, you know what I mean. It comes with being an artist and putting yourself out there. You know, I think the only now even yeah, even Beyonce has to go through it, you know what I'm saying. Like it's just a part of it, you know what I mean. But everybody in their own right, you know that has had major success, you know, definitely deserves a salute and some respect, you know what I mean, because this is not easy.
Speaker 1: You know, your life, you've i mean, like you said, from a child star to now who you are, so you've always been in the eye. What made you do reality TV?
Speaker 3: So my thought process, you know what Reality TV was two things, and that was one at that particular time. And I've shared the story many times. My record company wasn't supporting supposed to be, you know what I mean. And this was also a part of my growing as a businessman too. You know, I invested my own money, you know what I mean into supposed to be you know, uh, shout out Jenai Eko and Chris Brown because you know, this is one of my biggest songs to date, right, you know, four times platinum and I saw him in the chart it might be at seven million at this point. Wow, Yeah, we gonna confirm them numbers, but I know it is at four million, right, but yeah, uh, you know, my record company wasn't supporting me. So I was like, Yo, how am I gonna be able to you know, be visible? You know what I'm saying? How am I gonna be able to you know, not only be visible, but you know, show people that I'm growing? Right, And you know, Reality TV gave me an opportunity to kind of step out of that space, you know, cause I come from the class of mystique, right, you know that doesn't exist anymore. Yeah, but you know, you know, being being you know, coming from that class and you know, adapting to the new reality. You know, I feel like it would be a great opportunity for me to promote my music, and essentially it was. You know, I was able to show my growth on that show, you know what I mean, having a girlfriend and you know, bringing my my child, you know, into this world on reality TV. So it did exactly what it was supposed to do. But again just brings me back to intention. I wasn't just on TV to be on TV, you know what I mean, Like I had it was a purpose, you know what I mean, and essentially, you know that purpose carried out. It wasn't for me, you know, and you know in a long term situation just because you know it did. But scripture reality is just not for me, you know what I mean. Like I'm not a person that you know, wants to shoot in you know, February and going through something very tough to go through, you know, with a camera in front of my face, and then the show don't come out till November, and now I gotta go back through it right with the public, right, you know what I'm saying. So when I realized that, I was like, yeah, this is not for me. This is not for me.
Speaker 1: You were in a very public relationship, and you've been a very public person. How does O find the perfect I don't know if there is such thing. It's perfection. People strive to achieve it. But how does he find the ideal woman? Given who you are, Given that any potential dating candidate knows who you are, how do you find that person?
Speaker 3: Well, she finds me, you know what I'm saying. It's been a while since I've actually been in a you know, quote unquote girlfriend boyfriend type relationship. You know, But I think a private life is a happy life, you know what I mean. But I believe that she finds she finds me, But they don't know. I'm just saying, you know what I mean, And it might be she's you know what I'm saying. Yeah, I'm just saying she's might find me. Yeah, plurals, you know what I'm saying, She's like that. No, I'm just saying, like, you know, if I if I really thought about my lifestyle and being with me, like the pressure of being with me, you know, and it just being one woman, I don't know if that I don't know if that is it might take more than it might, because you know, I might need her to be a businesswoman on Monday and then we might get freaky on Tuesday. I'm just saying it might be. It might be, it might be. You know, I don't come from a traditional you know, uh standpoint. You know, I feel like I've definitely tried the traditional way, and I don't know if that's for me. You know, again, I'm still I'm single.
Speaker 1: You know, Are we really meant to be that? Are we are men really meant to be in a monogamous one on one situation?
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know. I really don't know. I think that you can find someone that makes you feel like you don't want to be with anyone else, you know what I mean. There might be a woman out there that can fill that voice. But you know, if if we're talking just strictly nature, you know what I'm saying, No, No, I don't think so, you know, I'm you know, it's very far in between it. I've seen a man and he just like, yo, I just love this woman like it's you know what I mean, it's it's it's very rare, you know what I mean, And especially being in my industry, you know what I mean, but you know, just being fair, you know what I'm saying, Like I'm I'm definitely open to love, and I really feel like love is acceptance, you know what I mean. So if there is one woman, cool, you know what I mean. If there's two cool, If there's three cool, But after three, I'm gonna have to you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You tried to be a king? What's going on?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Well, you know what they say about two women, you know, and a man.
Speaker 1: They say, got double problems.
Speaker 3: You gotta be double a man.
Speaker 1: I ain't got to do overtime. So we saw I saw this on the internet, you and and Neil Long and there's a vast age difference. And she's like, that's my nephew. Got y'all they blow up everything on there?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? She said, y'all good. Yeah, we're cool. Yeah, Ben, that's not ain't a relationship.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no. But I mean, you know I wouldn't. I wouldn't skim over it, you know what I'm saying. You know, if there was you know, a conversation and you know, because I've never you know, got to know who she is. You know what I'm saying. I don't know her, so I wouldn't completely take it off the table, you know what I mean. We might be on the we might be on the same level. I don't know. You know what I mean. It's possible. Anything is possible.
Speaker 1: You you're just putting beings in everything.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, you never know where it comes from. You got to be open to receive, to see you know what's meant for you.
Speaker 1: But I'm just saying, I'm just trying to figure out why the internet do stuff like that. I had candy on and people say, man, unk trying to palmer. But the woman man, right right right, even like that right.
Speaker 3: Right right right, yeah, yeah, no, I understand. And you know, I don't know when she when she grabbed my hand. I mean I was like, oh, you know what I'm saying, but.
Speaker 1: You're going through something. Oh you don't take advantage of a woman that's going at that time.
Speaker 3: No, that's true, that's true. I won't never take advantage of a woman. You know you want to give it said.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about you taking that advantage of the situation.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't do that. I feel like, yeah, you know, I think It's important for a person, you know, to have the option to choose, you know, which way they want to rock. You know what I'm saying. And I'm saying, I'm just a flexible person, you know where if you want to rock a certain type of way and I agree with you, then let's rock. You know what I'm saying. Nil, if you wanted to rock, you know, we can. I don't want to rock, I just want to.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: But but ma respect, but respect, you know, to to her. You know what I mean, because I got a lot of energy.
Speaker 1: You do know like at some point in time you can have to have some very very difficult conversations with your.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no doubt and and honesty is the key. You know what I'm saying, Honestly is the key.
Speaker 1: So I saw you at the HBCU Mental Health Tour. Why was that an important initiative for you?
Speaker 3: So, you know, I dropped my book uh un Bothered The Power Choosing Joy and along with you know, just speaking about the importance of mental health. You know, I wanted to share some of my methods that essentially helped me navigate some of you know, my public tumultuous situations. And you know, that involved breath work, that involved meditation. And you know, when I realized that, you know, a lot of these kids in college, you know, they're just figuring out their way. They're just leaving from their parents home. You know, they don't have no idea the importance of breathing, right. You know, through these situations, you know this person they're like, well, I want to go to school from here, you know, mid school. They like, I'm changing my you know, I'm changing while I'm here. You know, I feel like that there was a really big need for that, and you know it's not it's not a lot of artists that are are you know, out here to share you know what essentially keeps them saying. So you know, I felt that that was a void that I could feel, you know, and a responsibility that I could take on. So it was amazing shout out to all of the HBCUs that I were able to go. You know, I didn't myself go to college, you know what I mean experienced that No, no, no, no, because.
Speaker 1: You know we put that thing down yeah yeah, yeah, no period.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, I know, it's an experience. But you know, because I started so young, and because I was traveling and when I think about school and when I think about you know, like wellow work. Yeah, I mean I probably would have like for turn, you know what I'm saying, Like, you know, I think that because I started so young, Like when I look at that experience, I'm like, oh, that would have been easy for me, you know what I mean. But yeah, it's not something that I felt like I missed out on, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: There's a docum docum series.
Speaker 3: Yes, Omega, The Gift and the Curse.
Speaker 1: What can we expect from doctor Well?
Speaker 3: The docu Omega, The Gift and the Curse is my journey of my group coming back together in twenty nineteen we started the Millennium Tour and you know, I haven't really spoken on my perspective. You know, there's always been so many different storylines, and the documentary really restrate from my perspective, from my perspective, you know what I mean. And you know it's an unbiased one, you know what I mean. I tell my personal truths, you know, I share my perspective. And it's such a great docu. You know, y'all check it out. It's on all Black and man, it's great.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I definitely would advise you, you know what I mean, big brother Shannon, to check it out because it really shows you know, the journey and you know the current state of you know, why things are and as far as you know, what I experienced in my group, and I think that being able to tell that story really sheds light on you know, the experience of growing up in this industry. Right.
Speaker 1: We know, alcohol and tobacca and heroin, all these cocaine and marijuana if you want to say, marijuana is grug okay, But now fame attention might be more dangerous than any of those facts. Facts. How have you been able not to succumb to those?
Speaker 3: My foundation? I really have to, you know, salute, you know, just being a decent person, realizing that you know, everyone struggles with different things, right and that you know, you gotta really be careful. You gotta really be mindful you know about you know, uh, the things you intaking to your body, your health, your your mindset. You know, I've been able to navigate it because you know, I had a loving mother, I had people that loved me. I have people that hey, oh don't don't do that, Oh you know that would tell me, you know, when you know, shout out to to my brother Anthony Martinez. He he essentially was uh a very key person on my journey. My best friend from from third grade.
Speaker 4: Yeah he he he got put in jail for uh attempted murder and he was in jail for twelve years.
Speaker 3: He just got released two weeks ago. And his attitude, you know, when I would tell him, you know about certain things and I'll be like, yo, yo, bro, you know this person is doing this and I yo, and he like, oh, you don't want to end up in here, man, right, you don't want your freedom taking away?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So those voices, you know, that support has really helped me navigate, you know what I mean, and not falling into those you know, those pits of disparity and depression, you know what I mean. Like I said, my life hasn't always been just all smiles, you know what I'm saying. But having those voices and having that love you know ha has essentially you know, saved me from it, right you know.
Speaker 1: But oh uh, a lot of times the dynamic change because okay, there's a there's a there's a parent child relationship. Yeah. Uh, the the parent is the provider the child is the child. But when the roads flip, Now, all of a sudden, the child is the provider. Yeah, And a lot of your friends that are around you, they're able to go into clubs and be in these clubs and said that bottle service yea, and talk to all these women because of you. Now, if I tell Oh, I know, Oh's wrong. But if I tell Oh, he's wrong, and all of a sudden, he stopped the bus and I gotta get off. Ain't no more fancy clubs, no more bottle service, no more being in a situation where I can talk to some of the most beautiful women in the world. How have your friends and your mom like mom got a knight, I like that, tell oh he doing wrong? How have they been able? How have you been able to navigate? And your friends that have been your friends say, oh, you're wrong, Bro, you do that? Your mom say, oh, I'm ari y'all. You know, I'll raise you better than that. How have they have been able to stay steadfast and you listen to what they say?
Speaker 3: I think, you know, having those strong conversations is so you know important, you know what I mean? And accountability is big in my world. You know what I mean? Because I'm not always right and other people aren't always right, you know what I mean. So communication is a big thing in my family, and yeah, you know I haven't. I haven't always you know, tried to you know, remove people you know from my space and you know, the the success the sir, the s the circle of success r you know what I mean. I always have tried to push people forward. And I think because I've had that attitude, you know, with with I would say outside of maybe a few people, you know that it has been adverse and that don't deserve to be around me, that don't deserve certain opportunities. I think just being real with myself and realizing where people are has you know, kept me from you know, having to experience that on you know, on such a a bad level. But I will say I have I experienced it, uh you know in a way that was like who A big lesson, right, A big lesson? You know what I mean. So you know I take the good with the bad, you know what I mean. But I've been able to navigate because you know, I keep it real with myself, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Why do you think it's so hard for certain situations to stay private. It seems like we become a very spiteful, very we pray for other's downfall. Someone is going good, and like, man, I don't because and I was reading the quote the other day and it says jealousy. And people used to think jealousy was always about someone wanting something that you had, But sometimes jealousy is about they don't want you to have it. Dude, got fifteen grammars and you don't want me to get one. You got one hundred million, you don't want me to get five? Come on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean people like that.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't vibe with people like that. You know what I'm saying, How.
Speaker 1: Can you can?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 1: But sometimes you don't know until it's too late.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: It's not too late to the point that you know you can't make anybody. But you start to see and you start to hear about things that were said and things that were done that was trying to prevent oh from getting to a certain level. All they they've already reached that level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I know so many people like that, you know what I mean? You know some people in the industry that are that way. You know, what I mean. But I think that it's just important to make sure that you're align with the right people, you know what I mean, Because again, you know, you got to kill that outside noise, because there's always going to be someone, you know, especially when you're in the entertainment business, in the limelight that's praying for your downfall, you know what I mean. And it sucks that it has to be that way. It sucks that somebody could look at you and be jealous and be like, I don't want him to have that, or you know what, I'm gonna make sure these two people don't meet, you know what I mean. Yes, why it's whack, you know what I mean. But you can't can't. People can't stop what's truly yours, and people can't take away from the hard work that you put in. And I'm a firm believer that you know, what's mine's his mind and what's yours is yours.
Speaker 1: I'm a firm believer. Oh I believe when God said a plan in motion, you can't even stop it if you wanted to. That's let alone the outside person trying to stop it.
Speaker 3: That's fact.
Speaker 1: So if he close the door, can't no one open it and if he opens it, can't anyone close.
Speaker 3: Its fact.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get you out and talk about your touring. In twenty twenty two, you had a very successful tour R and B Top Tour, Wrap, Top Tour Rap twenty twenty Music Billboard Music Awards. What is it about touring that you love so much?
Speaker 3: I love that you actually get to see the people and touch the people, you know, And because entertainment has always been a strong arm in my you know, entertainment career. You know, a tour is a is a ritual, you know what I mean? And that is all right, y'all. We put our new music which, by the way, we put out Big Vibes.
Speaker 1: Today here, okay, you got a right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, got a new single. It's called Big Vibes. You know it's a self explanatory, you know what I mean. Whenever you are having a great time, put this song on. You know what I mean, is the soundtrack to a big vibe. It's coming. Uh, my new album is coming. It's titled Full Circle, which is which is a oh you know what I mean? Five to five, So everybody get prepared for that. But yeah, touring allows me to you know, put out new music and actually perform it, you know what I mean. So touring has always been essential to my career and it's something that I want to continue to be able to do.
Speaker 1: There are some when you look back at your career now, there are some women that kind of grew up with that that like you, that's probably of grandmother's and there are some that are just mothers and now you got their grands or their daughters. I mean that's a big I mean, like, are you surprised that you've been able to have so much stay in power with the women?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I'm not really surprised, but I'm happy. Yeah, you know, because I do it long. I'm just saying I do it long and strong. You know what I'm saying. I'm in for the long haul, you know what I'm saying. So yeah, No, it's funny when you know we're doing meet and greets and you know the mom will come and you know what. You know, there's this young woman I forget her name, but her first concert was one of my concerts and her mom passed away. So it's like a personal ritual of her every time when I you know, come to perform, to make sure she comes to the show, So you know, you never really know, you know what I mean, Like when it's time for tour, while everybody's coming out there, you know, of course people want to get out and you know, be in that atmosphere and perform and watch a show, you know what I mean. So touring has always been important. And shout out to the grandmas. Shout out to the grandmas, the mama, the daughters, the babies, bring them all. It's a family, a fair right.
Speaker 1: So what are it like performing overseas? I mean, because I mean it seems like when I look at the crowds and I see American performers performing overseas, it seems like, man, they're in these stadiums and there's fifty sixty seventy thousand people. If everybody's saying, I'm like, hell, I don't even know the words in America and you know the words to every soul.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't want to say unfortunately, because you know, American artists definitely support and love their American artists, but the appreciation level outside of this place is massive, you know what I mean. You know, anytime I perform overseas, the love is just so crazy. I was just over there last year. I was just in Paris, not even in the capacity of performing, even though we did do what was that?
Speaker 1: What was it?
Speaker 3: We did? We so we sold our Old two arena. The Millennium Tour did sell out the Old two arena. But the appreciation level is just different. I mean, when's the last time you've been. I'm telling you, when you go out there, oh my goodness, they're gonna be like Shannon Shannon. The love is next level, you know. And I think it's because you know, they don't get to see us, you know, all the time, you know. I mean, it's not somewhere where we're just walking down the street all of the time.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's overseas, but I've only been to Vegas in Atlanta from I don't know you consider that overseas, But that's not that far as far as I say. You, uh, perform with Usher's lovers and friends? Yes, yes, what was that experience?
Speaker 3: Like? No, well, actually it's coming up this year. Yep, it's coming up. What's the date on that? May six? May six? So you know it is so loud or otherwise I will tell everybody to come out. But it's gonna be amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean they still if enough people not not gonna get the tickets, maybe y'all add a second date.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's facts, that's facts. Yeah, you know what I mean. The lovers and friends of franchise is always awesome. It's a land you know, between nostalgic and new, you know what I mean. So, uh, new music. So I'm excited. This is gonna be my first time performing, you know, outside of the you know, Millennium Tour brand, you know what I mean. Of course, I plan on going on my own uh solo tour this year as well to promote the Full Circle album and all of the new music. So yeah, you know, lovers and friends, y'all be looking out for some new tour dates, new music, uhh uh Omega The Gift and the Curse. And I also got I can't speak too much about you know what I mean, but uh, I gotta I gotta show. Yeah, I got a new project coming, so y'all stay tuned. But you know, all things entertainment, your boy o Marion has got his foot on the game, and you know we're gonna continue to flourish.
Speaker 1: Acting. Yes, you were a lot early on You know, you got served doing a lot of more. Is that something you want to get back to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's something that you know I will be doing this year, So y'all can definitely be ready to see me on your TV or your big screen for sure.
Speaker 1: Who hasn't A Marion performed with be it on stage or on an album that he would.
Speaker 3: Like to well, I would. I would definitely love to do a collaboration with Beyonce. You know, she brought me out to the UK for the first time, you know, when I was in the group, So it doesn't seem like it's unlikely, you know what I mean. I would definitely love to do a song with her. I would love to do a song with Jill Scott.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would love to do a song with a Dell too, Yes, amazing.
Speaker 1: I saw her a couple of years ago when she first on American Soil, when she came back at you at the Observatory amazing es. Yeah, yeah, powerful, I was in the Crime Get This tape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, and I think a slew of other people. I definitely would love to, you know, do something with Chris Brown and Usher together all theo all three of us, you know, what I mean, whether it be performance or a song.
Speaker 1: May not gonna go on for about a hour a half cause y'all gonna be up to y'all to dance here, y'all, y'all are gonna want to usher, and I dance y'all, but that thing gonna be that'ld be lit. Let me ask you a question. Is there celebrity that someone in the in the business that you met and you like, I can't believe I'm talking to I'm in the presence of this person.
Speaker 3: Michael Jackson and Prince I got to meet them. You know. I think that artists, you know before my time, gave me that energy and that feeling. Now I would say, you know, when I meet, you know, my fellow peers, it's kind of like, oh, yoh, like you know what I mean, it's nice to see you, but that feeling that kind of like you know, star like you know shock I met. I met Michael Jackson on the set of You Rock My World. Shot was heating, he was he floated towards him, He floated towards me and then he bowed and he was like and he was like old Rodney. He was talking to Rodney and I was like, oh, he different. And then when I saw Prince it was a It was at the House of Blues, and it was like he had this u he had this like disappearing effect, you know what I mean. He walked in, you know what I mean, he was like he was behind me and I was like, oh, that's Prince. Then I looked back and he was gone, you know what I'm saying. So, yeah, those are the two people that I've met that have kind of had that like starstruck you know, effect on.
Speaker 1: But being from LA, are you a Lakers fan?
Speaker 3: Of course?
Speaker 1: So who So Lakers are your favorite team or do you have any favorite players?
Speaker 3: My new favorite player is jam Morant. Okay, that's my new favorite player. But definitely I mean Lebron the Lakers, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, I mean I used to be a super big sports fan, not so much anymore, but you know, definitely Kobe, you know what I mean. But yeah, those are my favorite Alan Iverson you know. Of course, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Oh, appreciate your stopping my club shape giving me a few members of your time.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: All the best movies for.
Speaker 3: Love, Yeah, I gotta pack for you. Man, I got a gift for you. You know, I personally signed this book. I got you. I got you this essential oil that I have. Okay, it's called Unbothered. Okay, okay, and here you man.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. Yeah. Are you selling this oil?
Speaker 3: Not just yet, not just yet, but you of the book, Yes, sir, Unbothered the Power Choosing Joy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if you, you know, are not inter reading, you can definitely catch it on audience. You know what I mean, because I did it.
Speaker 1: But I appreciate it. I appreciate it. Yeah. Is this a blanket in here? Or is a hoodie? Yeah?
Speaker 3: That's a hoodie. Hopefully it's the three acts.
Speaker 1: I can work with you. That's where I can definitely.
Speaker 3: Wear that because you know you oh goom, but I'm trying.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna drop a few pounds here, old goom bro.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you man.
Speaker 2: Love Yes, all my life and grinning all my life. Sacrifice, hustle, pay the price. Wanta slice? Got to brow the dice, the squad all my life. I've been grinding all my life, all my life and grinning all my life.
Speaker 3: Sacrifice, hustle, pay the price. Want a slice? Got to brow the dice.
Speaker 2: Squaw all my life. I've been grinding all my life.
Speaker 3: M hm