Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: One of the great irishmen of all time, Seth Greenberg, ESPN college basketball analyst, joining us on the program.
Speaker 3: Happy Saint Patrick's day, Seth.
Speaker 4: I'm not appropriately addressed. I apologize.
Speaker 3: It's okay. Oh pah, yeah, pah.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get the big controversy out of the way. North Carolina made it, West Virginia didn't, Indiana didn't. Ohio State, Bobezi, how big of a deal is this? In your opinion?
Speaker 4: I think it's a big deal. I mean, you know, you are your body of work. Your resume is your resume, and you know, North Carolina do you get credit for playing good teams? Do you get credit for beating good teams? They're one and twelve against pod one. That's a fact. They played a very difficult non conference schedule. That's a fact. They also lost to pitt and wait Forest and Clemson and Louisville. All right, those were opportunities. Not saying those teams aren't good, but those are opportunities that they didn't embrace. Played Michigan State in Hawaii. That was an opportunity before Michigan State became the Juggernaut that they were. Now look playing Auburn in Alabama and Florida, you know, those are the best of the best. But I do think that if you look at their resume, their body of work, their resume says they're not an NC tournament team. Having said that, now that they're in the tournament, they can beat San Diego State. Now that during the tournament they can give Ole Miss a game. But you know what, you don't get a free pest to get in the tournament. You earn your way into the tournament. And everyone should be evaluating across the same set of criteria. And that's probably the thing that kind of bothers me to an extent.
Speaker 3: How did it happen? Then?
Speaker 4: How did it happen? Look, Bubba Kunnyham is a good man. I have a lot of respect for him. He's the head of the committee. And they say, well, you know, he accuses himself from the room when they're talking about North Carolina. That's great breakfast, lunch and dinner conversations committee members that he's chairing who also know they're in that situation. I thought they put Zavier in as well, and I think they put Zader in and as kind of another one of those teams that didn't have a ton of quad one wins. But that was a good way to justify I put in North Carolina and because the resumes were similar. But look, I'm not pointing a finger at Bubba without a doubt, I'm not doing that. But the system is flawed in this way. Dan, We've got to have a better set criteria. So people everyone's got their own prison of what they're looking at, how they're looking at these resumes. Right, we've got to say this is the most important, this is the second most important, this is the third most important. Instead of having everyone say, well, you know the prism I looked at this through like the whole idea that they said, well, West Virginia, you know, de Breeze wasn't there at the end of the season. He wasn't there at the beginning of the season. They still won games. I mean he missed twenty four games or so, so you know, just the excuse after the bracket came out was a little bit weak. Oh, it is what it is. It's over with. Now we're gonna have a great incident blake tournament. But as a guy that sat on the outside looking in for forty eight straight months. Dan Uh, not that not that it still bothers me. All uh. You know, I feel for those guys because you know, the tournament is a reward for your season. I feel for the seniors on those teams. I feel for the coaches. The season starts, you know, in the summer, it goes. It's a long, grinded out season, and I thought some of those other teams deserved the opportunity.
Speaker 2: Head of North Carolina, what's the biggest storyline going into the tournament in your opinion?
Speaker 4: The dominance of Florida. I think Florida can have a U contact run through the NCBA tournament. I think they're that good. I think I called nos Ark. They got to everything, the pace of course, the freedom that they play with their bigs run the Florida are skilled. Walter Clayton, to me, is a lottery pick at the guard position. They go ten D. I think Florida's dominance in the SEC tournament how is one of the key storylines. And then Cooper Flagg. You know, I mean we got to talk about Cooper Flagg, right, you understand that, right?
Speaker 2: Yes, his availability though it seems like he's getting the green light to go.
Speaker 4: I think what they're gonna do is I think he's going to get the green light to go. I think, you know, in just listening to John, who's done just an incredible job. But listening to John, I think what they're going to try to do is he's going to do some individual workout stuff today, back in practice of skill work, probably no contact. Probably Tuesday or Wednesday, he'll do some live stuff and then there ye how it reacts. But they need him to win the national championship. Ideally, they'd like to get him some minutes in the opening round game to get his feet weet, to experience what the tournament's about, because each game you win, there's a greater pressure. Really impressed with how Duke played in the a SEC tournament, a lot of guys stepped up. But I expect him to play. But there's a lot of people. This is the thing that people don't understand. It's obviously Cooper, the medical staff, John Shire, his parents, and you know, the last group that's going to be involved in this decision probably his agent. I mean, because that's the world we live in now, where all these players have agents, and you know, he's a valuable commodity. They just want to make sure that he's going to be healthy. It's just an ancle spring, but you don't want something to be something that's going to be a lingering ankle spape, right, and that could impact, you know, a big picture him working out for NBA teams and things of that nature.
Speaker 2: Seth Greenberg, ESPN College basketball analyst. The most vulnerable number one seed is.
Speaker 4: You know, that's an interest. I'm going to say the most vulnerable buy the bracket they're in, and I would say that's going to be Houston as hard as Uston plays, as well as they rebound the ball. But if you look at the bracket, first of all, Tennessee is kind of like Houston one point oh, I mean Tennessee. Rick Barness seems to play so hard physical. Mayshack and Zeekaisigler are elite, elite defenders. But the rest of that bracket, if you look at teams that can, you know, be a problem. Whether it's he gets healthy, Lamont Butler plays, it's three point shooting, which is you know, which is which is an issue? I mean, there's no doubt about it. Clemson an experienced backward Illinois finally healthy uh, and then Tennessee. So I would think Houston has the toughest rule. Some people say Auburn because of Michigan with those two seven footers in Michigan State on the bottom of the draw. But my gut feeling is I have this feeling about Tennessee and just their connectivity, their toughness and uh, their due, their due.
Speaker 2: Explain Rick Patino as a former coach and what he does, no matter where he goes, he wins. How does how does this happen?
Speaker 4: How does it happen? He's a savant. He takes his team and beats you, and he takes your team and beat you. I mean he's a savant. He is unrelenting in terms of the standard that he sets. He gets total buying from his guys. He gets winning play and tough guys. But in the end, the guy has a gift. Even despite the white suit, he has a gift. I mean what he does, whether it's at Boston University, at Providence with the Knicks, Lydd Louisville with Kentucky, now with Saint John's, he basically gets guys to play in a manner where they all buy into being winning players. They all buy into one thing, the good in the group. What he's done with Kadarie Richmond, getting him to play every play a sixty six point guard which makes them really hard to play against. Or r J. Lewis, who started at U Mass who's a shot maker and a scorer, and making him and getting him to buy in what it takes to be successful. Like he gets those guys to buy in to the greater good. He gets those guys to buy in to competing at a level they didn't think. Now this time he's doing it with big six to six guards. You know, he also did it with Russ Smith and Peyton Siva. He also did it with Billy Donovan. He also did it with Mashburns. So he's just got a gift and he's in the perfect place because New York guy in New York selling out Madison Square Garden happened. I already had the year that coach Carterseca passes, understanding the history and the tradition of Saint John's embracing all that. Uh, this was a long time coming because I personally, the last time the job opened up, I probably would have said, you know, he's had some issues. But Rick Patino is New York Basketball.
Speaker 3: What happened to Yukon this year?
Speaker 4: They're not as good. I mean, like the level was so high and the bar was so high. I mean, you know, you lose Klingon, you lose Snogo the year before you lose you know, you have two of everything in the post. You lose Stephencastle and elite defender. You know, before you lost Andre Jackson elite defender. They swung him as a little bit in the portal. I mean, that's just the fact their inability to defend the ball at the point of attack. Offensively, it's still beautiful watch the ball movement to peopil movement. They don't have a shot creator of leg which is a problem. They get everything out of their offense. Stephan Castle, who just get down the lane. You know, Jordan Hawkins could come off a screen, bang a jumper or shot fake and get in the lane. They don't have that. And then defensively they're just they don't have a lockdown defender. So like even in this first game, Jeremiah Fears, Jeremiah Fears has a little Kyrie Irving in his game, like defending him in the Three Guards of Oklahoma, that's going to be a little bit of an issue. And then offensively, you get to a short clock situation, and then you watch so much basketball and you're you know so much about it in our historian. You get to the end of a shock clock. Who do you give the ball to? You give to Leave McNeely as a freshman who's like a six to six guy's developing into it. Give to hassandvi Ira because he really can't score it, but he can get maybe in the lane. You know, they had pros they were giving the ball to at the end of the shock clock. Having said that, the dude is a savant, the dude is amazing. You know, you can like him dislike him. He's great for college basketball. I go over there all the time to watch him practice. He's a mass their teacher, but it's model behavior. He acts and coaches no differently than his dad did when he was winning state championship after state championship and becoming a Hall of Fame coach. The guy is a tremendous coach, and his players love him as hard as he is on him, and he can be hard on him. His guys respond to him. He connects with him at a different level. Because he cares so much.
Speaker 2: The NBA has surrendered to the three. College basketball hasn't. But I don't know if I'll ask your opinion while I give mine, which isn't great interviewing, But it almost feels like the coaches are in a little more control in college basketball of the style that you can play, as opposed to the NBA where the stars are bigger than their coaches.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've turned into a European game, the college game. A lot of coaches are running a lot of five out they're running not as much just pure ball screen. It's more balling people movement, you know, like everyone. My thing about the NBA is NBA players take bad shots and make them. College players take good shots of missing. So like the coach has to have more of a little bit more control. You know, who you get shot from, where you get shot from, when you get the shot from. That's why I like Auburn, even though they're struggling now. Bruce pel does a great job of getting his guys where they want their shots to get come from, which is important. So, yeah, a lot of people disagree with me. I don't think we should go to the twenty four second clock. I do think we can advance the multi end of games. I think that would be good because we'd have more exciting finishes. I think we should go to quarters, that's fine. I don't think we should move the three point lineback. Our game is different. Our game is different, you know what. And we try to be the NBA. We're not going to be the NBA. You know. The chance to get the upset in the NCAA tournament is because of our rules. We would have never when I was Virginia Tech Beaten Duke in North Carolina, when we beat Kansas when we're at Long Beach State, we would have never had those wins if there was a twenty four second clock, if the rule, if the rules the way it is now. The one thing I am worried about the NC tournament, especially for the SEC, is the SEC fourteen teams in the tournament. I think they can get three in the final four potentially, which is the first time since the Big East did it. But it's been such a physical league. I do worry the first two rounds when they call it a little tighter and this league is so physical and handsy, if that's going to impact outcomes of games because they're going to get a bunch of teams in foul trouble.
Speaker 2: Best college basketball team of your lifetime was who.
Speaker 4: For me at my lifetime, I played against them and the unility team of Jerry Darkadia. They came at you at warp speed. They were absolutely relentless. And I'm talking about teams I coached against. Yeah, they played at one, one, three, and me, but then they played man and man and they came at you in like at warp speed. Larry Johnson was running right to the front of the rim. Good luck, you're playing a side of me catchers that you play behind him backs you down, Anderson Hunt's knocking down three. He's how hard they played. See, that's the one thing about Jerry Tarcane. He was a great coach. He wasn't a good coach. He acquired talent. We know that he had great players, But how hard they played, how they defended, how simple they were offensively, but how well they executed. They were so hard to play against because of the force they played with, their selfishness they played with and they never took a playoff. I mean, they just came at yet, at yet, and at yet, and it was just it was a brutal forty.
Speaker 2: Minutes and Bob Lee and I when we did Sports Center, we argued about how great this team, one of the great teams of all time, and we kept coming back to their blowing people out. If they get into a tight game, I want to see how they do. They got into a tight game in that, you know, second year when they faced Duke and they had a hard time getting a shot off.
Speaker 3: Your pick for the tournament is Florida. Okay, great to Florida. We'll talk to you, talk to you during the tournament. Thank you again for.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thanks for having me bag much respect.
Speaker 3: One of the great irishmen of all times, Cheth Greenberg.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 5: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 6: You could catch us.
Speaker 5: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 5: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 6: Going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 5: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 6: So check us out.
Speaker 5: We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 6: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 5: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: From five to seven pm Eastern two to four.
Speaker 5: Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 6: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Jeremy Fowler, the Mothership senior national NFL writer, joining us on the program. So let me start with the Bengals last night. Jeremy, your reaction to the Bengals signing those guys and what that means for the rest of this team on the other side of the ball.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Dan, So this had been trending this way because Friday Night there was some momentum that the Bengals were going to be able to reach a deal with both Jamar Chase and t Higgins, who have the same agent. So this became a bit of a package deal a couple months ago, and Higgins switched agencies, and so, yeah, it was interesting. The Bengals really a couple months ago were telling me that, hey, we're gonna try to sign all three of these guys, Chase, Higgins and Trey Hendrickson. So they've somehow pulled off two of the three, even though they cost themselves millions of dollars waiting on Jamar Chase, if they would assigned them maybe eight months ago or even six months ago, the price probably would have been twenty million dollars less, but he put together this triple crown season, so they've cost themselves a lot. Now they have burrow Chase Higgins on really well over one hundred million dollars per year and just cash they're going to have to pay these guys, which makes it infinitely harder to get Trey Hendrickson done. Even though they're not overly eager to trade him, they really haven't engaged a lot in teams that have interest, and so they're trying to get this done too. I don't know how they're going to pull it off, especially with a team that is not really known for this spending at this kind of clip, but they are determined to surround Joe Burrow what they can. And meanwhile, their defense has like minimal parts because they have to somehow draft and develop some guys on the cheap.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm just trying to understand these owners are smart enough to make a billion or two to be able to buy these teams. I just don't understand why you don't. If you know you're going to keep Jamar Chase, then sign sign him when you can. You know the Cowboys do this. There's certain teams that you just go, why are they waiting?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Maybe there's some math involved in this, and I'm not smart enough to understand it, But if you know you're keeping them, then what are you waiting for?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a valid argument. You're seeing it right now. I mean just an hour ago, Derek Stingley, junior top cornerback for the Texans, signs for three years and ninety million dollars, which is sticker shock for that position. But he's only three years into a first round pick deal, so they already had him for two years of contractual control.
Speaker 8: You do it.
Speaker 7: Now to be able to spread that money out over five years instead of like four, So that helps them to do it early. Buffalo is known for that, Like they've been really aggressive with all their veteran players this offseason. Just try to get it done. Whatever the price is now, it's only going to go up. So I think teams are more trying to inherit that logic. The Philadelphia Eagles have mastered that. They're really aggressive. But look, some teams they either don't want to pay it, or in some cases they feel like what the agent and the player are trying to get is sort of untenable or something they're not comfortable with.
Speaker 8: I think that happens a lot.
Speaker 7: And look Dallas, I don't know they'll ever say this, but the fact that they have waited on some of these it's good for entertainment. Keep them in the news. We talk about Dallas every day. Like Dak Prescott and Ceedee Lamb. There has to be a cost, well, there has to be a benefit for them associated with waiting six months till late August early September, even though I think it was two to tango type situation that wasn't all on the team in that case. But it's good for business and Dallas knows that.
Speaker 2: I remember when Danna Rolofsky was on the show and he said, you know, I don't think Jerry Jones really cares about winning as much as keeping his name his team.
Speaker 3: In the news.
Speaker 2: Like do you It's hard to fathom that for a guy who seems desperate to win one more Super Bowl, But do you think that's first and foremost? That's the game plan? Is we love when you talk about the Cowboys it's good for business.
Speaker 7: I think it's both. Both can be true. You can handle all that and still try to win. Like I was looking at my list because before free agency I did predict that Dallas would maybe be a little more aggressive than they.
Speaker 8: Were last year.
Speaker 7: That people thought, like there's assumption that they're really cheap and all this stuff, you know, But they signed like up to seven starters last week, not too huge money, more role players, but like they filled voids of what could be seven of their twenty two starters. Like that's pretty I wouldn't call it aggressive. But that's like, you know, AMDA shopping. So that's something. I mean, it's they're not just out here trying to put on a bad product. Like they draft pretty well and they don't want to overpay for guys, you know. It's it's one of those things where they have pay their stars, like they paid Dak Prescott, they paid CD Lamb. They do have a penchant for doing that. They just do it uncomfortably and sort of wait. But you know, Micah pars will get paid, like unless something goes really haywire over the next four months, he will be paid to be a Dallas Cowboy and he'll be paid handsomely.
Speaker 2: Did the Seahawks have a good week, good couple of weeks here? I'm trying to gauge. Yeah, I mean, what do you think.
Speaker 7: If you feel like Sam Darnold is comparable or like maybe eighty percent of the player Gino Smith is, then yes, they had a really good week. DK Meckkev didn't want to be there. Gino Smith didn't want to be there based mostly on the contract. I mean, they were whispers last year of him being really frustrated that they wouldn't redo his deal, And I just think Seattle. They showed it with Russell Wilson too, like they just don't feel like paying quarterbacks these crazy numbers. Like they're taking a stand a little bit and saying like we're just not going to do that they were always hesitant to do. With Russell Wilson, it got ugly. It got ugly with Gino Smith, like they just they want to build the roster different ways. You know, you're going to see the forty nine ers. They've scaled back a bunch of salaries in part because they to pay Rock Purty a massive number. Seattle saying no, and I kind of respect that Minnesota is saying no. They said no to Kirk Cousins last year. So there are different ways to build a roster. I think because of that. Like really with Sam Donald, it's you're getting them for probably ten million dollars a year less than the Raiders are going to have to pay. You know Smith, and you got a third round pick for flipping him in a trade. If you like Sam Donald a lot, that's good value. Like they had a good week. You know Cooper Cup he's thirty one, some injuries, but like he can still play. You know, DK Metcalf, You never want to trade a guy that talent, but they get a second round pick for me. He didn't want to be there and they didn't want to pay him. Like, so if you're Seattle and you say, Okay, we don't want to allocate these massive resources to these players. They did about the best they could. But now they have question marks with a team that already had them.
Speaker 8: That's sort of the issue.
Speaker 3: Help me understand what the Vikings are doing.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if they need to say if they've gotten to that point we're not interested in Aaron Rodgers, Like they.
Speaker 3: Could do that and you know, put an end to this. Yeah, but they.
Speaker 8: Haven't out the fire.
Speaker 7: You're right, and it's curious and I'm trying to find out what that means. The people I've talked to with the organization have been pretty consistent with their message with me. It's that Aaron Rodgers is possible but unlikely. That's sort of the messaging that I've gotten. So that's what I'm taking. So I'm leaving room for a wild card. Something crazy to happen with Rogers. I don't expect it. I think they're ready to roll with JJ McCarthy. I think it's very possible. They're waiting on some of these dominoes to fall and figure out how much money they need to spend on a good backup so that it doesn't mess up their comp pick formula because they want future draft picks. You know, if you spend a certain amount of free agency without losing enough players and that balance is off, you.
Speaker 8: Don't get as many draft picks.
Speaker 7: So that's a consideration for them, so that they're trying to play the long game a little bit in the smart game and not overreact here because they spend a lot of money in other positions last week, but all their moves, especially with like two big offensive line signings, says we're all in on JJ McCarthy and his development, like for what they've told me, like he has already proven he is going to be their franchise guy. It just depends on whether it happens today, four months from today, twelve months from today. But they're convinced of that, and so they're just only willing to go so far. I'd be surprised if Rogers is there. I still think he'll be, you know, if I had to bet right now a Pittsburgh Steeler. Meanwhile, the Giants are just sort of like scouring the earth for quarterback help, Like they're still having Jamis Winston come in for a visit, Joe Flacco and Russell Wilson was there last week, Like they're keeping all their options open with the hopes that they can still get Rogers.
Speaker 3: Let's Pittsburgh's plan be.
Speaker 8: That's a great question.
Speaker 7: So like, look that last week or a week and a half ago, they put together an offer for Justin Fields that I was told was very competitive with what the Jets offered him, which was two years, forty million with thirty million guaranteed. Something went off where he chose the Jets, and he must have felt the love more from the Jets than he did the Steelers, who essentially benched him last year for Russell Wilson. So he gets a fresh start. I do believe they were all in on Fields. I don't know if they had Fields ahead of Rogers, but they were willing to do fields, like both sides at one point were open to it. It didn't work, and so now you know, I just checked with the Steelers. They don't have any updates. They're waiting on the situation. They're not bringing any other quarterbacks in for visits that I'm aware of, So they're not playing the Giants game. They're waiting on Rogers. They have Mason Rudolph as a backup. Well, they signed him just sort of his insurance last year two years, eight million dollars because he started games there before, Like they at least know if the bottom falls out, they have him and can draft somebody. I think that would probably be the play at this point. They know Russell Wilson. Well, I don't sense a lot of momentum with Pittsburgh and Russell Wilson at this point. And plus you're going back to what your third option. Now, Hey you started games us last year, but now you're at number three, let's make this work. It just doesn't seem like a even marriage.
Speaker 3: Damn. And then the Giants have to wait for everybody, right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, the Giants.
Speaker 7: You know, I do know that Russell Wilson has looked at the Giants as a viable option for a while now, even dating back to the Super Bowl around the end of the season, so he must have seen some of those dominoes coming. So I do think that will eventually be the play if the money's right, you know, I think he still accept himself as a valuable starter, and that costs money. I'm curious how far teams are willing to go just because of the musical chairs. He's played the last three years with different organizations and quarterback, so you know, he's got a cap where you have to work it out financially, and these teams will probably probably be looking more for like a lower end bridge deal, and I don't know if he's willing to accept that at this stage, given all that he's done and all the Pro Bowls that he's made and the Super Bowl pedigree, so that complicates things a little bit. But my sense is, you know, if, certainly, if Rogers goes to Pittsburgh, Russell Wilson slides right into that giant spot unless things get crazy.
Speaker 2: But can you see the Giants taking Shador Sanders? Could you see the Giants actually trying I don't know if Tennessee's going to actually take cam Ward. They sound like they are, but I don't believe anything until it happens. But can you see the Giants being aggressive with either one of these quarterbacks?
Speaker 7: Yes, and even coming even before the Aaron Rodgers talk, when they were going for Matthew Stafford. Like they spent a month on trying to get Matthew Stafford and put together big financial packages and they were sort of left at the altar. But the sense coming out of the combine was if they strike out on Stafford, they're going to go draft. They're going to go heavy there with that third pick, maybe try to trade up. I still think that's a possibility if you get Rogers or even Wilson to a lesser extent like that at least frees you up to not have to do that if you don't want to give up too much. But some of that was predicated on Tennessee wanting to move back. It does seem like now again, a lot can happen with the draft. I won't make sweeping determinations, but from what I've gathered, they seem pretty comfortable with cam Ward. Like there's momentum there with other teams I talk to league wide that they feel like they're just gonna sit there and take Ward. I know the interviews with the Ward have gone well. They feel comfortable with like the mistakes he has made on the field, they feel like he's done a good job of explaining those and can be coached and correct them, and he's got the obvious upside on top of that. So if you equal all that out, you know you sense a little momentum for the Titans to sit put that could complicate things for the Giants that they're comfortable with Chador at three or even moving up to two. Is that too rich for them? I think they're weighing all those things. But in the short term they've got to figure this out and at least get a solution bird in hand with a veteran free agent.
Speaker 3: But can you see the Browns taking Shador Sanders?
Speaker 7: So the Browns have been probably the most unpredictable in all this, like they don't have a lot of money to spend. I do think Cousins Kirk Cousins could be in play for them because of the familiarity with Kevin Stefanski, but there's not. Atlanta really is just they don't want to move them, and then if they do move them, they're gonna want somebody to pay a good amount of that offset money.
Speaker 8: With the thirty seven million dollars they owe them.
Speaker 7: So that complicates things for the Browns because the pandas Shaun Watson, they're looking at guys like Carson Wentz too as sort of contingency plans.
Speaker 8: So they've been all over the map really.
Speaker 7: You know, they acquired Kenny Pickett last week, so they've been tough to figure out a little bit. I do know that they like Shador to what extent if they're willing to pick them two overall, I cannot say. I do know there's some love there for Shador Sanders and sort of his computer brain to be able to, you know, feel out the game mentally, like they have some respect for what should.
Speaker 8: Or can do in that area, maybe more than some teams.
Speaker 3: Great stuff. Jeremy, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thanks again, Dan, appreciate it, man.
Speaker 3: Jeremy Fallon.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Jerry Dulac has been covering the Steelers for a long time. By the way, Bill Cower will join us on the program tomorrow. Jerry Dulac covers the Steelers for the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and these Steelers Radio Network. If I asked you a month ago, what are the Steelers doing at quarterback?
Speaker 3: You would have said what.
Speaker 9: I would have said, Not Aaron Rodgers, for sure, Dan, It was the last thing I thought they would do. I thought it would be between excuse me, Russell Wilson and Justin Fields, with a split internally in the organization as to who wants as to which person wants which quarterback, and so knowing that the offensive coordinator did not get along with Russell Wilson at the end they butted heads over how the game, how the offense should be run, and knowing that he was a big fan of Justin Fields, I thought they would lean toward that. But then the offensive coordinator doesn't trump the head coach at the GM and the owner. But there was a split there. So that's what the way I thought it would unfold. And given the age difference and the potential with what they saw from Justin Fields, I would have guessed Justin Fields. I would not have guessed waiting for Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: The Steelers don't feel Steeler like right now that you bring in DK Metcalf.
Speaker 3: You don't have a quarterback.
Speaker 2: You're waiting for a quarterback that might not show up, and if he shows up, who knows what you're getting. But is there a change of philosophy, Like, it's not just hey, we went nine to eight and we had a winning season and we lose in the first round. Eventually you got to aspire to a little more than that.
Speaker 3: I would think.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, Dan, they've made a playoffs four the last five years, so it's not like the sky is falling and there are more bun franchised but ten and seven each of the last two years, but more significantly first round playoff exits. You know, that's eight years now without a playoff win. Mike Tomlin has now had eight one and Don Marty Schottenheimer is the only guy with more with nine. So yeah, they aspired to more. The move for Aaron Rodgers with that question, Dan is very on Steeler, Like, that's why I said just a bit earlier that that was the last thing I thought they would do, would be getting involved with that guy with a lot of the you know, let's face it, strange behavior that he exhibits, but that's where they are and where you know, what they are interested in right now is the same thing they were interested in last year. That is the immediacy of trying to win a playoff game and getting back on track. It's almost one step at a time. That's the next objective. But they haven't even reached that. I will tell you this, whether Aaron Rodgers or if they feel compelled that they need to bring in a veteran through a trade, nobody's getting more than a one year deal. They are fully aware that it's time to move on and try to find try to find that franchise quarterback.
Speaker 2: Can you see them doing anything in the draft quarterback wise.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, Dan, they gave up that number two pick in the DK Metcalf trade, so it's either you know, it's either number one and I don't see him going into the first round this year, But certainly they know they have to do it by next year, maybe the third round. Take a chance on a guy, if there's someone they like. I'm not going to sit here and tell you it's Jackson Dart or Will Howard, but I do know they have interest in those guys and don't know if they'll be there in the third round. Maybe they have to move into the second round to do so. But I know that is certainly if it's not an urgency this year, it certainly is by next year.
Speaker 2: Would the Steeler fan base embrace Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 9: The feedback slash blow back that I've received Dan during this whole period is I don't think anybody is thrilled to see Oh some people are, but the majority are not in favor of the move somewhat for what you referenced earlier about it not seeming like the Steeler way. The guy's forty two years old. He won five games last year with the Jets and hit the h You know, he had Garrett Wilson, DeVante Adams, Alan Lazard. He had much better receivers than the Steelers had. And that's what you're looking at here. So it's not like it offers a lot of promise, you know, Dan, I'll say this, Aaron Rodgers is the greatest thrower of the football that I have ever seen. But he's forty two and you know, let's face it, I think he's putting out on the eighteenth green if he isn't already finished with his round. Professionally speaking, he's Jerry Dulac.
Speaker 2: He covers the Steelers for the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. Steelers Radio network handicapped the rest of the division here. Let me start with the Bengals with what they did last night by tying up I was to receivers and maybe they have enough money to sign Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's going to be a big key because now you're going to you know, let's face, you sign those two, you're going to weaken the rest of of your team. I don't blame them for what they did, but that is a lot of money tied up in a quarterback and two wide receivers at the sake of the rest of your team. You know, Trey Hendrickson was the one guy on that defense that you know, gave them a bit of a spark. But if you can't sign him, and if they do, now you're really hamstrung with how much money you have left. So really, are those four guys enough to challenge the Ravens. Well, I'm a big Joe Burrow fan, and there's two wide receivers. The one in particular is elite, So you know I would, because of the issues right now, I'd put him ahead of the Steelers. I never would rank the Browns ahead of the Steelers because along with the Jets, to me, they're the two most dysfunctional franchises in the NFL, and you know, the Ravens are still the Ravens. So you know, if you want me to handicap it, I'd say Baltimore won Cincinnati two Steelers, three Browns.
Speaker 2: For it's always nice to have the Browns still in the division there, Jerry.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is.
Speaker 9: It means you don't have to finish in the basement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I wonder what they're going to do. Can they get squirrely and take a quarterback you know at two, Well.
Speaker 9: They would have to trade into the round to get it, Dan, because that second round pick is gone. You know, I will tell you this, I have not gotten any sense of panic in the organization. They feel if need be, based on what they saw in the last three games of the twenty twenty three season from Mason Rudolph, that if he has to be your starter, then they will go along with that. All that being said, Dan, this is a team that always, always, always has two quarterbacks that they're ready, two veterans, and so even if they don't sign Aaron Rodgers, they have to bring in some type of quarterback with starting experienced veterans, starting experience. Skyler Thompson isn't that guy, and so either way, even if it is going to be Mason Rudolph, and even if they draft a quarterback, they still want to have a veteran either as the second quarterback or the third quarterback.
Speaker 3: Do you think Russell Wilson is still a star in this league?
Speaker 9: I will let me say this. He is still an option for the Steelers, but not a solid one, Dan, because you know he's he's down the total pole, because if he was any type of option that they seriously considered, I think they would have made that move by now. You know, I think Russell Wilson gets a bad rep. I look at what he did for those first seven games that he started, this offense average nearly twenty nine points a game, and it finally finally looked like a unit that was capable of bailing out the defense, which is exactly what he did in that game in Cincinnati when he put up forty four points, the Bengals scored thirty eight, and he threw for four to fourteen and actually outdueled Joe Burrow. It was from that point on, strangely enough, where I think the headbutting began with the coordinator, and we know what happened. I'm not saying that's the reason. But they lost their last five games. So I think Russell Wilson can be an effective starter. But he's certainly not a guy who I think, But I don't think you're going to bring him in and think he's going to be your quarterback for the next two or three years.
Speaker 2: Can Mike Tomlin survive another ten and seven first round exit? Or you know, sometimes both say both sides say maybe you know, we've gone as far as we could go, So I don't know. The Steelers don't fire coaches. But can he survive that scenario?
Speaker 9: I think he could survive another ten and seven. I think he can survive nine and eight. They gave him a three year extension. He's good through twenty twenty seven. And I've always gotten a sense Dan that you know, it's up to Mike Tomlin if and when he feels maybe I've had enough. You know, all this none of this debate is about whether Mike Tomlin is a good coach.
Speaker 3: We know that.
Speaker 9: It's about how much longer are you going to continue to watch the same thing before you think, hey, you know what, maybe we just need a change. And it's no reflection on whether Mike Tomlin is a good coach or not.
Speaker 3: Great to talk to you as always.
Speaker 9: Thank you, Jerry, Yeah, Dan, you got a good being with you man.
Speaker 3: That's Jerry doolect