Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tori Spelling and iHeartRadio Podcast. You've been waiting and it's back. We're back with part two. Uh bom bomb bomb. Oh that was good right here.
Speaker 2: I am very excited because we barely like touch the surface? Is that? How is that the right saying? It's like, I have so much more to ask about the manner.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's so many surfaces that's to touch there.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So I want to begin by asking you this question, which we may have sort of talked about. You know, I know that the house before was sort of what you really consider your growing up house. But I'd love for you to start today just by explaining, like when you think back about the mannor, do you feel happy, do you feel warm? What do you feel?
Speaker 1: I feel nothing. No, I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding. No, person a delby thing. I'm still on it. I'm not gonna let go that sound by it for a while. It's just it's like the new Demure. No, I don't. I feel lots of things tell me everything when I think about you know what, when I think about it, I think my joy and excitement about it comes from the outside world's joy and excitement because it was everybody's fantasy. Yeah, and it's almost a little bit of a version of nine O two and oh that when I meet people, I see their excitement, the light in their eyes when they ask about the manner, So that in some way brings me joy and makes me feel closer to it. But I hear you, so if I were to totally remove anybody else's view of the.
Speaker 2: Manner, I really just want to know Tori's feelings, like that teenage tory to the adult tory. Now, do I feel sad? Happy?
Speaker 1: I don't go sad.
Speaker 2: Tell me I don't feel happy?
Speaker 1: What would I feel? I'm trying, really, I'm trying to like tap into feelings for a second. You know, it's a hard one for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've got nothing but time.
Speaker 1: How long do you guys have I'm trying to find as long.
Speaker 2: As it takes for me to sort of because I think there's something in there.
Speaker 1: There's something there. I think we've talked about this before because we're good friends that I a lot of my life kind of gets unlocked when I talk about it. When I started writing my books and when I tell the stories, and you know, sometimes we'll be talking and a story comes to me and I haven't tapped into that memory in twenty thirty forty years. So that's what it is. When I think about the manner, I'm like, where are the feelings? What is it? I'm not sure, so perhaps it'll come out during this.
Speaker 2: But you know what's weird is like it actually concerns me as your friend that you feel nothing, because that's very tory ish, right, like block the hard stuff for you know, have a wall up or don't feel. Don't feel because this is like where your family lived, and I know that you have cozier, sort of warmer memories of the house prior, but it's like this was where you spent time for many years, even if you didn't live there. It's where you went for the holidays. It's is it where your dad passed away?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was just about to say that, I think when I think of the Manner, my final memory is being there after his funeral. It was the last time I saw him, a couple of weeks before he passed. Father's Day, I believe was the last time I saw him that year, and then he passed away. So yeah, I think that's more locked into my memories. It's like, oh, I lost my dad there. Yeah, I think it's that.
Speaker 2: Gets that gave me chills a little bit. It's like, I wouldn't blame me if you were like I hate that house.
Speaker 1: I don't hate it. I love it, like I really do love it. Its I was gonna say it has a special little place in my heart, has a special big place, like obviously it's ginormous. You know what was great though, that before my mom sold it, I got to take my kids there and only Liam and Stella were alive. I believe I have to go way back kid count, but I was happy they got to see, like where I kind of grew up. And it was weird at that point because it was pretty much all empty. And my mom gave me my dad's typewriter, which is something that was really important to me and something I cherish because I'm so much like him, so I love having that piece of him. But yeah, that's crazy like that my kids now, like I wish they could go there now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I have a question about that. But I want to dig into this a little bit more, Like when you think about it is what comes to this was like we left that house, my dad passed away there. Maybe your mom had extreme sadness there because this was her dream, and then she she moved because she.
Speaker 1: Lost your father probably, yes, yes, and yes.
Speaker 2: Well tell me. And I'm also feeling.
Speaker 1: Like I want, I want to connect that house with my dad because that's the last place I saw him. But I feel like my dad that wasn't his dream house. He liked smaller and cozier. You know. The first house we lived in he probably that was probably too big. He didn't even go through all the rooms in that house. He was just as ginormous a public figure he was. He was really, deep down a simple man, and I think I carry a lot of that with me and I love that part. So it was like the opposite of anything he ever wanted, you know. So I'm trying to think, you know, I guess the I guess because by the time we moved there, my dad was getting older and then he went through cancer, which he survived, but he was sick a lot, And I think I connect that house with him being sick and being in his bedroom a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, if we.
Speaker 1: Really wanted any time with my dad after we were at that house, I mean not, I guess it's later on. We had some great memories with my dad, like him in the bowling alley and serving up drinks to my friends and my brother's friends and I and like going to the Playboy Mansion having like the after party with my dad there, and he'd go to the parties at the Playboy Mansion with us, Like he was awesome. But if I think of like the final chapter of his life, it was, you know, mostly just in his bedroom, and like you would go in and like get in bed with him and hang out, and he would be watching his football games and stuff, and we would talk about shows and stuff. He always talking about you know, that was my dad, always talking about work, but in a good way because I love talking about that stuff. So I have those memories. But yeah, actually, like the house, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm trying so numb to it, do you know what I'm saying. Like, And again I don't want to be like a therapist to you, but like you see, I'm a little numb where you're like, which is fine too. It's a house.
Speaker 1: We go there and have like a seance or something.
Speaker 2: I'd love to go there so bad, But I wonder if you had pain associated with that loss that you've never dealt with so much.
Speaker 1: I mean, I got to tell you, and I don't think I've told many people this. I really never dealt with the death of my father.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have it. I don't think you have either.
Speaker 1: No, which I'd like to at some point, like that's really important and key. But it was like the most important human in my life passed away, and it came at a time where our family was a bit disjointed. Yeah, a time when I had just left my first marriage, just started my second marriage. It was it was supposed to be like the happiest time my life, but then boom, it was the saddest time in my life. You know. Dean and I had just gotten married and then all of a sudden, it was like my dad passed away. And then a month later we conceived Liam, and it was just everything happened at once.
Speaker 2: It makes me want to cry for you.
Speaker 1: I had no choice. We all we always have choices. But I think for me, it happened and it was like it was so hard that I mean, I believe it was like a week or two weeks after my dad passed, maybe less. I went into production on a movie. So I had a TV movie that Deane and I were doing, not the one we met on, but with the same production company. We had put this whole thing back together with the same production company, the same director. We were going back to the same place, to Ottawa, which is where we met and fell in love, to do a new movie. I was ep on that movie. I had taken on kind of the role of everything I was. I did wardrobe for it, like shopped all my wardrobe. It was intense.
Speaker 2: Although simultaneously to when your dad had passed.
Speaker 1: Away, well, my dad passed unexpectedly from complications of a stroke. So it all happened in a short amount of time, and the show was planned. I was supposed to leave. And then also it all happened at the same time that So Notorious, which is the show that was loosely based in my life, not so loosely scripted show that I had also created and was on VH one, and I was so proud of and it was like a high point. I was like, this is it, you know, I climbed back up that mountain. It got canceled after one season, had massive, you know, great critic reviews. Was a game changer. In that platform of hybrid TV, of scripted reality, and all of a sudden it just VH one. It wasn't the right place, and it was great, and they gave us such creative license and they were great partners, but it was you know, people were still into reality and hadn't made that jump in and descripted in their territory, and it just didn't land. And anyway that was canceled.
Speaker 2: Wasn't it kind of curb your enthusiasmy Like yeah, exactly, kind of like that, yeah, and that got canceled.
Speaker 1: So it's like it was like hit after hit after hit, good bad, good bad. And then I'd had this movie slated to go film and my dad passed. I couldn't let an entire production down. I remember ruth Anna and I talking about it and I literally like was like, no, you know, my dad would always say show must go on, got on a plane, went to Canada and filmed it and literally, I think a week after my dad died. So I've never grieved my father. You haven't the rest of the manner. We just I just uncovered a huge secret from Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, we'll still keep talking about the house, but I want to talk about this. It's like it feels like two things to me. And again we're close, so you can shut me up or maybe feel it. Work work, work, work, work, work work. You say, you're so much like your dad, which is exactly how your dad coped, and work work work, work, work, work, work, and you get tons of joy from that. But like, this is the patriarch of your family, and I don't use that word lightly, Like your father was a true patriarch, not just to you all, but like everybody that we talked to, Aaron Spelling, Aaron Spelling, Aaron Spelling, like he he means so much to all these people that were on all these shows, but he was your daddy, do you know what I mean? Like, and I know, like this is your guy and you're so much like him, and like I want to cry. So if I want to cry, it must be in you somewhere, because I think you just work work, work, work work, And then you had sort of chaos, right like yeah, new marriage, the tabloids, a baby working like that, you didn't get to grieve this person who I would argue was the most important person in your entire life. Correct, Yeah, I'm so sorry, Like it makes me sad for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what's what's up next for work? I'm just kidda gosh, yeah, do you miss him?
Speaker 2: Like, what would you I don't know, like what would make you maybe feel like you actually, I don't know, maybe you feel maybe you feel connected to him, maybe maybe you did deal with it in the way you deal with it. I don't pretend to judge that you don't.
Speaker 1: Deal with anything. And you know that I don't deal with pain and loss, and I think, look at me, I want to be like thinking, you know, back to me, my problems are so much less than everybody else's, you know. I always want to say that, No, I'm not gonna say about this time. I've dealt with so much pain and loss, you know, personally and professionally my whole life, that I just am so conditioned to compartmentalize it and move on. Here's you know, one week ago dancing with the stars. You know who would have thought, you know, And then I went home and it's just like, oh my god. And then I was like, I'm fine, you know, because this is just what I do. And I, oh, I'm so used to disappointment that I just move on.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're allowed to be sad. I have friends who lost their fathers, right. I have a girlfriend, one of my best friends in kindergarten, who lost her father twenty plus years ago, and she says and tears come all the time when we talk about him. And she says, there's tears like right here at all times, like right under her skin, on the surface, so that she could be cry, not necessarily like devastated crime, but like missing him. Tears every day now, some days she chooses not to. Someday she doesn't. Like many people say, like you have your life before you lose a parent, and after you don't have to be fine. Like, I don't know. That's to me. And again I'm not trying to psycho analyze what that f do I know, but like it feels like you're numb to the feelings of the house because you're like numb to the feelings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm numb to my entire life. Like it's not just the manner, it'd be the house before that, it'd have my childhood. It's yeah, I mean, for sure, my tears are there. There's not a day that I don't not think of my dad. I think of him all day long, But I guess my tears are not there at the surface, they're like deep down attached to my bones.
Speaker 2: Well, and you always have to because so many people bring your dad up to all the time. Yeah, it's almost like you have to put on that brave face because people want to share their memory. I mean, we've had so many Your dad made my career, your dad did this for me. Your dad looked out for me. I had a problem and your dad took care of it. That you don't want to be like I miss that me, but.
Speaker 1: Like he was your dad. It's always liked people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost like other people take him because they have their own thing that you don't feel like that was your dad.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like I'm worried enough to accept that I can own that completely. Yeah, yeah, be right.
Speaker 2: I deserve that.
Speaker 1: I was his only daughter. I was like the total daddy's girls, the daddy's girl, like you know, from the time I was little, you do those projects in school, like my hero, you know, it was always my dad, like all throughout, you know, my entire academic existence, and you know, and then beyond that, like who's your hero? Who do you wish one person? You could have one moment back with who do you want to dedicate something to you? It's always my dad. It's always going to be my dad. Who do you want to be the most proud of you? Well, my mom, dude, But you always want your parents to be proud of you. But my dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sorry lost him. Yeah, I'm so sorry. And you were so young, and I understand. He had an amazing life and he lived to be How old was your dad when he passed away?
Speaker 1: Eighty two?
Speaker 2: Right, he had like this magnificent life, but he was older when he had you, so you've got less years with him. Yeah, you must miss him, and like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like I would like to find a way to access the feelings because I think you know me, I'm good with memories, so in my head I can see everything and every moment with him and hear every conversation and watch it play out like his TV shows, but there's not complete feelings attached to that, just like when a TV show is created. He did a brilliant job. I do a great job when I create TV shows, Like we put it out there and except for you to interpret it using your feelings, so I can watch all of my life in my head, but I have not completely accessed my feelings for them. That's what's happened.
Speaker 2: You're watching it from like outside, like you watch a TV.
Speaker 1: Show, Like the entire world has watched my life. Correct, So I would love to find a way to dive in and because I feel like it's not the answer to all my problems, but it would really help me kind of move on, yeah, and be able to be a best version of me if I could be able to access my feelings from my childhood. So if you know someone that knows someone that knows someone.
Speaker 2: And I think we got of plenty of actual therapists, and I'm I apologize that I'm the one here sort of having the conversation, but it does feel.
Speaker 1: Like oddly enough makes sense, Like you know, you're one of my friends that's willing to go there with me.
Speaker 2: You know, Well, it feels like your life was a little bit steadier when Aaron Spelling was here, Like it wasn't. I'm not saying it was perfect, right, but it feels like he passed and there's chaos, like the show was canceled and I'm pregnant and I'm married, and you know, just so much for you to suddenly have to deal with that would have been those things. I mean, I call my dad the other day because something was wrong with my taxes. And I call my dad because I'm like, uh, what am I supposed to do with this key? Do you know what I mean? Like, like, it doesn't matter that I'm fifty. We call our dads, right.
Speaker 1: He wasn't that guy though?
Speaker 2: Did you ever call him to be like, hey, I don't know how to write a check or I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that guy? Uh?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: No? I would call him and he would we would talk about the dogs and how my dogs were his dogs were, and I would say, hi, Daddy, high Toto and we would Yeah, we didn't talk about that.
Speaker 2: Why are you do so many things with Toto?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: To O t O?
Speaker 1: And I know everyone says, is it the dog or the band? No? No, he called me I was little because I guess when I was little, I couldn't say my name, so I was like sook cute to toe? So yeah, but I capital T lowercase O capital T lower case is how he always wrote it in notes to me. He always bring me like handwritten notes, So yeah, and he didn't like to talk about. I remember once my uncle Danny, who lived in near you before he passed. Where did I tell you to live Mariten County?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, beautiful? Yes.
Speaker 1: So whenever he would come visit, and my dad's brother and the brothers very close. And Uncle Danny was more like the father type. He would always call me every week and be like, what's going on with school? What's going on with boys? You know? He would always like ask the questions that my dad didn't want to talk about. And I remember him coming to visit and asking across the dinner table at the Manor. We were in the breakfast room. So it was the round table that's distinguished it from the rectangular table and the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was the cozier table, and it was on the table it was yeah.
Speaker 1: It's still you know. Each of the tables had a button underneath that my mom would silently someone saw when she wanted, you know, everyone was done, she would assess the button.
Speaker 2: It's so funny that you bring that up. So I learned, you know, and fifteen twenty years ago that my dad growing up, they also had one of those buttons that my my papa for some reason. I think there's was on the floor, but I don't know. Maybe it was on the table. I was gobsmacked when I learned, because I didn't grow up like that, right, I'm not pretending I grew up. I'm so grateful. I was very privileged, but I did not grow up like you did or my dad did with this button. I couldn't fathom it. So basically for people listening, like wealthy people had this button, and that meant the table would be cleared, right, someone would come out and either bring out the meal or clear the table. Is that right?
Speaker 1: You're blowing my mind right now, because I didn't know this was a thing. I mean my mom My mom is like a DIY creative genius with things, but.
Speaker 2: I thought she created No, it was actually I think that my dad's you know, my dad was a kid, but my papa, I always envisioned it on the floor. But I don't that seems strange. I'm gonna have to ask him. But there definitely was a button, but they very rarely ate in the dining room. Also, they ate in the kitchen like you guys did, but they didn't have a button in the kitchen before.
Speaker 1: I forget the proper dining room which had the twenty person or twenty five people rectangular table. Yes, there was a button in there as well to call to let the butler know, like time to clear, the plates, were ready for the second course or whatever. My mom also designed the room, and my mom and dad like Thanksgiving and Christmas would blow people's minds that would come over because I'm not good with how far away it was. But keep in mind a twenty five person table. So she would be at one end, he would be at the other, and they could just look up and he could go, hi, honey and ask her a question. She would say something. And she designed the room that the way the ceiling was done that you could hear each other. No, I'm weird. I'm not even sure how to say it. I wish I knew.
Speaker 2: No, I get what you're saying. There was some sort of a thing. I thought there was going to be a TV monitor. So did they each have a button or was that? Did your mom handle that like you're.
Speaker 1: My mom handled that? So you know what?
Speaker 2: It reminds me of. Have you seen the original batman.
Speaker 1: Who sticks in the ceiling? Is that who sticks?
Speaker 2: So I'm picturing there's a scene in Batman where Michael Keaton and Kim Bexinger bass singer, how you say that name? Basinger sitting in this you know he's Wayne manor like like your manner, and they're at the opposite sides of the table. They can't even talk to each other. And I remember like they grabbed their soups or whatever and went into the kitchen to eat in there, same kind of thing where you're like, and then I remember Michael Keaton, Bruce Wayne Batman. She says something about the room and he's like, I don't think I've ever been in here before. And it's like seems so crazy in the movie, but like you're like those Bruce Wayne. So anyway, go back to uncle.
Speaker 1: Danly So, Uncle Danny So in the breakfast room round table and he comes to visit for the weekend, and so he looks across the table and he's like, keep in mind, I'm not a young girl. I'm like in my early twenties, i'd say, like twenty two, twenty three, And he goes, oh, he goes Toto, he goes, are you dating? You know, what's your love life like? And my dad was like he was like Danny, we don't talk about that, or we don't want to talk about that, and stopped him from talking in a nice way. But they were brothers, so they would riff with each other.
Speaker 2: Dad didn't want to like talk about that kind of stuff ever.
Speaker 1: He didn't want to talk about boys, didn't want to talk about dating, didn't want to talk about finances. I would and it wasn't like it wasn't so much like would ever say no, But like you know, read the room. I grew up from a young age knowing what you couldn't couldn't talk about and what couldn't couldn't do in a room, like from my assessment at a very young age. And I think that's why I take so much in like very quickly when I'm out places, like I read the room. But yeah, so he never wanted to talk about stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Was there ever like a time when like and this is very personal, but I'll admit this happens in our family all the time where there was just like a big blowout fight like whoa, like nobody ever like you know, shut up, Yeah I'm not doing you know, there was never like I don't know, I don't know, no, I don't think I said shut up, but it would be like right now.
Speaker 1: I would go to my friend's houses and hear the way that their and their families talked, and I was just shocked. And at first I'd be like, Oh, their families sound like they hate each other. I don't understand. And then I realized they were so close. They were those families were the closest, and I was just I didn't grow up that way. I I'm fifty one. I have never in my entire lifetime told my mom and my dad when he was like to shut up or or raise my voice. Her never occurred to me or to get mad, you know. Think you know, I think the most I ever did was huff and puff and probably walk out and then slam my bedroom door when I was a teenager.
Speaker 2: You know what your slam?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the time they like making out with, like the family chef, like I think when I was ground at that time, I went to the room to my room and like locked my door, and then my nanny was like, oh, you tear lock the door.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, sorry, sorry, Oh that's interesting that nanny said, don't lock the door. We don't lock doors. I don't like locked doors.
Speaker 1: That's either and we don't do that.
Speaker 2: That's a no. So did you have strict rules, Like was it just a very proper household?
Speaker 1: Like I don't know, so like tell me what's proper, ask me questions and then I can go into it, because.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean I don't have a proper household. Like there's it's very loud. You're allowed to say whatever you want. In my household. There's like, you know, always kind of know this, yes that I don't want that. I'm not doing that. You got to go do this, you know.
Speaker 1: And that's how Yeah, I raised my kids. It's kind of the opposite. And you know, when Dean and I met, he was raised a completely different way. His you know and not you know, not all good, but like, you know, there was a lot of yelling and a lot of it was just a loud house growing up, and I was like I was in a very quiet house.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't like yelling. I'm not into the like yelling arguing thing, but I definitely like to speak your mind and nothing off limits.
Speaker 1: So like, so we met somewhere in the middle, and that's what our family that we raised, that's what we're like everyone talks and everyone has such a weird question like did.
Speaker 2: Your mom never sit you down and be like, Okay, now you're gonna get your period and here's what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: No, because you know what happened when I got my period. I told that story I got the belt. But if there was ever anyone to talk to about stuff, yeah, I always talked to my mom about stuff. And my mom yes, because I didn't know, so you know, when there were boys and stuff, I would always you know, you remember my mom saying like, do you remember like party chat rooms like on I had my Apple two wee computer two wee too. Yeah, I'm going way back to the eighties now and dating myself. That was legit that we had those in those party rooms like it was when you go in, Yeah, I would do. It's like before there were really like visuals for computer games like they were starting, but it was a lot of like almost like books and you could like choot. They would be very descriptive of things when you had like a mystery game and rooms you go into but you didn't see anything.
Speaker 2: Do you remember a game called Secret Agent that was like our first game and you'd have to say, like go to door, and then this weird graphic would like go to the door, use card and then the like weird door would go, Yeah, you're trying to save somebody, which it was like very hard. Anyone in the fifties might remember Secret Agent.
Speaker 1: That's exactly the game I'm talking about. There was that one, and then there was some mystery game in the house that I remember telling my dad. Of course, always like Dad, I played this game. You should make a TV show about it. I probably did, but.
Speaker 2: It was always that Charlie's Angels just kidding, Yeah, right, but.
Speaker 1: Get credit. But there. Yeah, there was like these party chat rooms and I think I was in fifth grade and I somehow got into it was a sex room or something where people would talk sexually, like and it was all just typing, so there were no visuals. You didn't have to put pictures.
Speaker 2: Remember those nine seven six numbers, and you'd call like nine seven six sexy and that would be like a sex thing.
Speaker 1: Was it like probably something like this. And I had a profile that I signed up and for some reason I got into a gay one for some reason, so I was I posted as I was a gay man because I didn't know any different. I was like, oh, this is the one that.
Speaker 2: You were like catfishing as like a teenager.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then my mom said she was on the phone, you know, her dial up phone in the bathroom that would come out of a drawer.
Speaker 2: And she, first of all, we have to talk about that. But was the Internet in existence when you were doing this?
Speaker 1: It must have yet I don't.
Speaker 2: But then how would you talk to people on a computer?
Speaker 1: I don't remember, but you would submit a chat. It was a chat room, so it must have been internet.
Speaker 2: It was a dial up, yeah, I remember.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got mail. Wait, your mom had a phone in a drawer. I'm sorry, this is gonna get everybody.
Speaker 1: I back back then, my mom was a smoker and she now hasn't smoked in Oh my gosh, good, it feels like my whole life. But growing up she was a smoker. And besides the candy dishes, we always had cigarettes out in the house, which we again grew up never eating the chocolates or smoking the cigarettes because it was just always there. And you know, my sixty year old friends would come over, they'd be like, there's cigarettes out. Have you tried one?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, no, pause, I think I forgot about this. So there was always candy dishes with candy in them, yes, in every room.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh oh what kind of candy? Oh, I'll get specific. There were her She's kisses, there were the small size mister goodbars like all the hers She's long Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it was like Halloween in every room.
Speaker 1: The tiny ones though, and then there was always another like beautiful candy dish. There would be they were massive crystal dishes, silver dishes with candy, always filled like people would come over my dad had a meeting or they had it, you know, people over and if two were eaten, like by the next day, it was refilled. Oh wow, is a mound. And then there was another iconic candy dish that had the silver almonds. Do you remember those?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, whoa always silver almonds?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then she always had what are the green candles? I start with an R off to look.
Speaker 2: At it, green candies or candles.
Speaker 1: Candles one candles. It was a green candle. It was iconic in ladies. Well, I'll look it up, but those were out. And then beautiful cigarette holders. I'm sure there's some name for them.
Speaker 2: People would smoke inside your beautiful home. Yeah, I guess, so it didn't stay.
Speaker 1: I don't remember. No, I don't remember people ever smoking them, except I remember growing up my mom was smoking.
Speaker 2: And she wouldn't go outside.
Speaker 1: She did not in the seventies.
Speaker 2: Would she smoked in the bathtub with.
Speaker 1: This phone in the I always have memories. I'm not sure about this. I'll have to ask her. She would smoke in the office. I remember that in.
Speaker 2: Her office hers okay, it was her.
Speaker 1: Office, like the office that the two assistants, one on each side, and then there were the two chairs. She would sit there. She would have her cigarettes there. And in her bathroom that's the only place I ever remember phone in a drawer.
Speaker 2: So out comes of phone and she could take a call while in the bath.
Speaker 1: It would be she had it in her vanity like so it was like her beautiful vanity like chair and makeup mirror and everything, and a drawer opened up right there with her phone, and she would sit at her vanity and she had a TV and she would watch TV shows and be on her phone. And that was kind of like her get away with her girlfriend. So once my dad would go to bed, because he'd usually go to bed early because he had worked. My mom was a night out. My mom would stay up watching TV till like three in the morning. But she'd also like chat with her girlfriends. So whenever I had and this is at our old house. So and then she had one at the man or the one before she had both. Wow, okay, but like being like that. Oh so the time with the gay chat room, that was definitely at the old house. And my mom she loves.
Speaker 2: Did she get in trouble?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I could get in trouble, but I was so she liked that I was honest with her at least sure. So I would come in and I'd be like, I was confused, and I was like, Mom, I asked her what fis fucking was? And she was like, and she goes, I had to look it up because I didn't know what fis fucking was? And I wanted to give you the right answer in context.
Speaker 2: We even know what it is now you ask Candy spelling. I just can't.
Speaker 1: I was in fifth grade and then she said, where did you hear that? And I got nervous and then was like, oh my god, it's bad. And I was like at school and then she was like, what who said this to you at school? And then I was such, I'm so honest, like you know me, like I can't lie about anything. It's right on my face. So I immediately like was crying. My guy, there's this chat room and then she monitored my computer after that and I was not allowed to go into these chat rooms. But I guess a gay man thought I was another gay man and was like, hey, are you into fist fucking? And so I in fifth grade very like I was also very altered, crude, but like naive. So I came in and I was like, Mom, I heard a bad word, but I'm confused. Can I ask you what it is? And she said yes, of course, you can tell me anything. And I said, what is fit fucking? I can see it right now. And my mom has big eyes like me, and she was just like what uh huh. But going then fast forward, I would always tell my mom everything, like I would go out with a boy and I'd come home. I remember I got picked up once. There was this guy Will and he went to our brothers school. Because I went to an all girls school. I went to west Lake. He went to Westlake, So he went to Harvard and he lived in the Palisades.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like it.
Speaker 1: I wonder what he looks like now. He was so fine, but he was also that bad boy.
Speaker 2: I love. Only a kid our age, a child of the eighties and nineties would say he was so fine.
Speaker 1: What do they say now?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I knew exactly like that, he's so fine.
Speaker 1: He was hot, okay, So yeah, long surfer hair, like surfed on the weekends. Also the guy that like every week had a new girlfriend. And it was just a label. Like it's not like he did anything. Like my friends were all pretty prude like me, and you know, I was like Donna Martin in real life. So yeah, but like I was his you know, sweet sixteens were happening in parties and we were all turning sixteen.
Speaker 2: So and did you sweet sixteen? I did?
Speaker 1: All girls though, Okay, okay, it was a luncheon.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, you know what, I think I had friends that were at your sweet sixteen. Yes, you can't think of who, but I definitely had a couple, you do, I definitely because somebody one of my friends from college was like I was at Torri sweet sixteen. It was like I can't remember with friend Lisa or Kelly or somebody. Will have to play that game later.
Speaker 1: It was my friend group. That's your friend group. That was like my little sister in Wesley Leslie Haunt.
Speaker 2: But it was like it was was it b wait no, oh oh Brook, Oh my god? Wait? Why is her last name out of my head right now? Graves Graves, Tiffany Wagner? Oh was it Tiffany Wagner? Totally could have been Tiffany, you know Tiffy. She went to correct Yeah, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I go into JTD John Thomas Eye Elementary.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: Friends in kindergarten. Yeah, anyway, okay, we're oh so well. Oh he was so hot. Sorry. So I was like every month he had a new girlfriend, he would just like go through all of us and like, you know, we did nothing besides kiss him and like I put water polo. That's a week later, and so I was his girl, Like I was the chosen girl of the month. And I asked my mom, like can I go out with him? I wasn't you know what, I hadn't gotten my license yet, so I couldn't drive. I was before sixteen. And then He came and picked me up, and my mom was very like concerned, Like my mom always waited up for.
Speaker 2: Me the old house, so he weren't at the manor yet, so he came to the other mansion. But it wasn't quite as crazy, right.
Speaker 1: He picked me up in his car and took me somewhere for tacos. It was like a taco stand where he ordered a taco, paid for it, and then came back and he's like, are you going to order something? And I was just like so confused that he wasn't like he came from money and it wasn't.
Speaker 2: I just you know.
Speaker 1: I watched all the movies like the boy was supposed to pick the girl up. He was supposed to take her out and buy her dinner, and I was so nervous to eat in front of guys. I was like, no thanks, I'm actually not hungry. So I sat there and watched her like starving chow down on his taco. And anyway, that was our first date, concerned my mom. Our second date, his parents were out of town, and he was like, do you want to go watch me surf Saturday morning?
Speaker 2: I was like, done be a surfer or a water polo player. I called that. I knew it.
Speaker 1: I was like, this guy's got So he like picked me up with six ades and he took me to the beach, just like left me on the beach while he was surfing with buddies. And here's you know, I'm like not knowing, not a beach girl, like Beverly Hills girl. And I was like just sitting on like I don't even think. He gave me a towel to sit on, and I was like okay, cool, Oh my gosh, this is great, and watched him sir and started.
Speaker 2: A long line of Tory's future boyfriend had boyfriends. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then he took me home and he's like, cool, my parents are out of town, so I'm gonna pick you up tonight and we're gonn to go back to my house and watch a movie. I'm like okay. So we went back to his house and he like I was like ready for the movie, and he was like just wanted to make out, and I was like, okay, We're.
Speaker 2: Going to Netflix and chill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, way back then. So I got home and my I was all excited and my mom's like, so what happened? And so I tell her everything, and she was just like, well, you know, I'll never forget this, you know, the saying why buy the milk if you get the cow for free? And I was like what, Mom, I just kissed him like and she's like, well, that's this sounds like that's all he wants and that's where this is going. Well it didn't matter because the next weekend I was sick and instead he went to a party and I didn't go and he made out with my best friend instead and then so that was it. So we had a short run. But I used to tell my mom everything and if you love them, let them go, if they're meant to be, they'll come.
Speaker 2: Back to oh them.
Speaker 1: You always give me these giines that have stayed with me. And I found myself like thinking you seeing them on your of course, yeah, but like I'll be like my mom said, So I know it's an equated phrase, but it does make sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my all right, So okay, we have so much to cover. Let's segue for a moment. I have a little game about the manor. I would like to name a celebrity, some celebrities, and then you tell me if they came to the manor and if you have a memory or thought of them, and.
Speaker 1: If they've been to the house before, that count that house. Tell us yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll just call that one BM. Yeah, not thou movement before Manner.
Speaker 2: Okay, Heather Locklay, Yes, so she came to the house like, and did you guys have a big holiday party where like was there ever a party where like everybody was there? All these names I'm about.
Speaker 1: To ask you about, not all, but the iconic party yearly was my parents through a Christmas Eve party and those Christmas party.
Speaker 2: They were the Kardashians before the Kardashians.
Speaker 1: It we you just hit it on shirt? Was it my mom? If you got invited to those?
Speaker 2: Oh people, Kardashians are kind of famous for throwing their Christmas Eve party.
Speaker 1: That's It's exactly what. It was a smaller scale and it got bigger. It was more like family and friends, you know, at the BM house, and then at the Manner it was like crazy whoa. I mean you would read all these steps and there'd be like fifty five foot like nutcrackers lining the steps and all of these.
Speaker 2: Celebrities so like John Forsyth, Oh yeah, oh my god. So and was there ever a party where like all these different people like Farah Fawcett or Jacqueline Smith.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, of course. But yeah, my dad was really close to all of his stars. But the ones I remember which are the ones during my like nine o two and oh years. Okay, It's interesting because those Christmas Eve parties, while he was so close to his entire cats, only Mason and Luke were ever invited to the Christmas parties from nine two.
Speaker 2: Oh, not Shannon.
Speaker 1: I don't think Shannon never came. Shannon would have been included.
Speaker 2: Because she's she like spent the night there. I feel like she would.
Speaker 1: She was always with me, so that she had to have been included, and maybe there was a reason she she was with her.
Speaker 2: For lack of a better way to say it would the old timers also always still be invited, like Gavin or Ricardo montalbon No.
Speaker 1: It changed well. He kept in touch with all of his celebrities all his starts. The Christmas Eve party was always updated to the current situation on television.
Speaker 2: Whoa WHOA right, because the party would be like five hundred people deep, I mean like.
Speaker 1: No mmm, so like even it would be like one hundred people that would be Max. Maybe not. So it wasn't like, no, it was decorated for like I mean, she mustn't hundreds of thousands spent on this party, but the people know, not even one hundred, maybe not even fifty. It wasn't very intimate.
Speaker 2: Group, more like executives or the cat Yes, but more like executives. Yeah, so like Brandon Tartakov. I don't know, I'm making up names that I might like, pull out whoever ranc.
Speaker 1: Ebc at the time, of course, whoever ran Fox? Of course?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes, whoa Robert Wagner hurt to heart.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think they he was. My dad was very very close with Robert when I was younger. It's so that was BM before.
Speaker 2: Did you ever like, I mean, if you just were around so many these celebrities, was it just kind of like you're so used to it? Like was there ever a did a president ever come to the house? Are like a governor or somebody like a politician that you can remember?
Speaker 1: I don't feel like politicians ever. No, It's more like my dad was really good friends with Reagan because they grew up entertainment. They worked together, they came up and through theater together, and.
Speaker 2: Like they didn't live far from you either. I feel like they weren't they in bel Air?
Speaker 1: Also maybe I think, I mean we definitely when he was in office went to the White House?
Speaker 2: And how did you guys get there? Take the train?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, can you remember going to the White House?
Speaker 1: I can, oh.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: You're so cute My brother and I like at the White House.
Speaker 2: A weird question, but like would you figure out what to wear? Would your mom help you know what to wear? Or did like a nanny say, like I've laid out your dress for the White House. How would you know what to wear?
Speaker 1: My mom? My mom? Would your mom did out my outfit? It's so funny, my mom, I'm trying to It was a bond went teller. Do you no?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Do you remember this place?
Speaker 2: I just remember like Dotty Doolittle, like I remember these kind of like there was a very specific when I was a little little there was a dress in my mom.
Speaker 1: Loved it was like the puff sleeves, yeah, the peter Pan collar, the tie, you know, bow around the waist, short dress. I'd wear Marry Jane's Mary Jane's fold over socks with lace. Yes, sir, I had this outfit and my mom granted, you know, back then they dressed their little girls and all frills and stuff. There wasn't cool clothing like there is now for little girls. But I remember this dress when I mean it went up to size fourteen, so I remember at some point I had to have that. It was a hard conversation, say, Mom, I love this dress too, but you know it was cute in three t it was adorable in five to tea. But now we're at nine te not even tea, not toddler anymore. Now we're at size ten twelve. I'm twelve years old. Like I shouldn't be wearing this dress anymorek mom, man move on to something more sophisticated. She was like, oh, but you look so great in this stress. I would have the fact then there was like the baby so you would have a white version, a baby yellow version, a light pink version, a light blue version, everything.
Speaker 2: Wait, do you remember a spree?
Speaker 1: Yes, because a spree changed my life. Remember you shop They have them out the shopping carts.
Speaker 2: The spree outlet. At the spree outlet, you would literally it was in San Francisco. I don't know if there was another one. There was a shopping cart and load up your clothes into a shopping cart. They was going to try them on, and then you'd check out. And then we had the Spree Cafe and the food was delicious. Oh see, then after you went to the Spree outlet. And I remember like this bully in eighth grade when I was in the seventh grade like making fun of me, like, hey, Amy, like been to the is Spree outlent lately? Because I like would just always wear a Spree. I was like, whatever, check like, I don't have a wall. My mom buys my clothes, like I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. I think rs Spree was on Los Sienaga and it wasn't the outlet it it's a real store. It was huge and I want to staying cards also they did. I want to say, it's where the Beverly Center is now like before that, and before that was Flippers where I had my eighth birthday roller skating party, and then it turned into Sweet. Oh it wasn't where the Beverly Center is. There's a CVS there now. It's huge, a huge one that was abs.
Speaker 2: It was kind of across the street right yes, Oh my gosh, okay.
Speaker 1: So I had my next question, she picks up my outfit. Yes, at the White House and on Tory brand. Of course. You know. We went to every room and I was very excited and very proper, and we got to have lunch with missus Reagan and then afterwards they had like the staff dining, and I was really excited to go there. I'm really excited to hang out with the staff and have lunch with them because I was scared to eat. Yeah, on brand, that's where I fit in. And I was like, yes, yes, yes, I feel comfortable. And I was like talking and felt like wanted and yeah, my gosh okay.
Speaker 2: So my next I've got some sort of rapid fire questions. Your favorite room in the manner Oh and you can only have one go so.
Speaker 1: M okay, it's I mean, it's either the bar downstairs that expands the bar, just because all my friends and I would.
Speaker 2: Have downstairs, like where the bowling alley was bar, right, the one that you could like come bop.
Speaker 1: Out of the wall into or something from the bowling alley. Yep, it had the big fish tank aquarium. My dad always had a lionfish. He would love to show if he had one in his office, a fish tank always, and one in our house.
Speaker 2: I just don't picture. Did you guys ever have a dog? I just don't picture a dog?
Speaker 1: Oh no way. And they were always poodle are Beijeon frisays, Except once we had a mutt because he started with me on Fantasy Island and my dad let me keep him.
Speaker 2: Pepper, my god, So you always had a dog and the dog could just cruise this whole fifty thousand square foot house just as it had its will. Oh my god. Okay, Next question, least favorite.
Speaker 1: Room in the house doll music.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah yeah. Next, did you ever pee in the pool? Well?
Speaker 1: I always feed in the pool, so yeah, yeah,