Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Laura Vanderkamp. I'm a mother of five, an author, journalist, and speaker.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sarah hart Hunger, a mother of three, practicing physician, writer, and course creator. We are two working parents who love our careers and our families.
Speaker 1: Welcome to best of both worlds. Here we talk about how real women manage work, family, and time for fun. From figuring out childcare to mapping out long term career goals. We want you to get the most out of life. Welcome to best of both worlds. This is Laura. This episode is airing in early to mid May of twenty twenty five. I am going to be interviewing Megan Francis. She is the author of the new book, The Last Parenting Book You'll Ever Read. We also know her for as a longtime host of The Mom Hour, which is ending, but they are launching a new podcast about midlife lady pursuits, which is certainly a topic we cover in the interviews. So, Sarah, you are a longtime listener of The Mom Hour.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yes, many many years of listening to Megan and Sarah talk about parenting and all kind of parenting adjacent topics.
Speaker 3: So when they.
Speaker 2: Announced that their podcast was coming to a close. I was so sad, but then immediately thrilled that they're going to be coming up with a kind of new one with new life, so exciting.
Speaker 1: Well, they sort of realized that their kids had aged out of this time, you know that people were coming to the mom Hour, I think as she talked about expecting to hear about like baby products, like what's new in this and all that, and it's just they're not in that mind space anymore, and they wanted to just make a clean break and start something new, which I get. But Megan's book is all about, you know, when your kids get older and they're launching out into the real world and sort of the emptying nest and how that goes as a parenting phase and also is figuring out who you are in the absence of sort of these day caretaking responsibilities. So it's it's a phrase. I'm starting to enter it. I've got a while to go because I still have a five year old.
Speaker 2: But your nests, well you can take the part of the advice about the like launching part and yeah, your nest isn't gonna be empty, tell after mine's empty.
Speaker 1: Sorry, you got a while nah. Yeah, Well, Sarah, do you have any midlife lady leisure pursuits.
Speaker 2: I'm really like in the market for some because running was my big midlife lady pursuit. I mean, I it was so fun and it took up a lot of mental even when it wasn't running, I was like thinking on running, like the following running, but I had.
Speaker 1: A whole thing with it, like you were buying the shoes and you were listening to the running podcasts and all that.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, so I feel like I'm actively looking for some subs. I do feel like I could be a yoga lady, like that could be part of it, But then I also want something that's not physical specifically.
Speaker 1: Okay, I kind.
Speaker 2: Of like feel like cooking might be a thing maybe, but like.
Speaker 1: How would you make that sort of hobbyish versus like I need to cook dinner for my family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I thought about maybe like cooking through a cookbook again, which is something I've done before, and choosing one that's kind of like has a cooking school feel to it, like how to make the perfect egg, how to make this. Now I wouldn't be able to do this every night, but it could be like a fun weekend activity that I like look forward to during the week and like maybe read about the techniques and then I like do them.
Speaker 1: So yeah, have you ever thought about actually taking like an in person cooking class or something.
Speaker 2: I might, but I don't like to leave the house at night very often.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: But if it's a weekend activity already, I mean, then it could be a Saturday afternoon sort of thing, right, It's true, Okay, I wouldn't rule it out. Yeah, all right, what about you? Well, I guess singing is sort of my midlife lady leisure pursuit. You know. I'm now into two choirs. This is sort of humorous because many years ago, when I first moved to New York City, I was like in three choirs right when I was just on my own and like self employed, so I wasn't seeing people like during the day, and so I wound up joining three choirs to have things to get me out of the house at night, and then slowly that dwindled down to one. After I got married and started a family. Sang in the Young New Yorker's Chorus for many years, and then we left New York and I was not there for a while, and then I started up singing with my church choir here in Pennsylvania about almost eight years ago, and it was great. I enjoyed it. I'm still doing that and I've gotten to Jasper join us for some of our singing, which has been fun as well. But then I also was like, well, you know, I could do more, and I sang with a different choir to do the B Minor Mass over the holidays this year as something off my bucket list, and I was like, well, my fun to keep singing with them. So I happened. So now I'm back into two choirs and so that's my Monday and Thursday nights now. But I think I do think there's one of her, like midlife lady leisure pursuit things is like a lot of it's kind of tinkering or like fitting in spaces of time, and so I've been pondering with that. I mean, maybe my puzzles are that. Do you think that counts?
Speaker 2: I think that counts, especially if they're I mean, the only thing with puzzles is it's not really like a lot of growth element unless you're doing harder and harder puzzles or something.
Speaker 1: Maybe because there needs to be a growth element. I can't just like maybe there doesn't bread and let it go and like enjoy the bread and then keep making it. I don't know that there's growth in everything. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I really growth appeals to me a lot, even if it's like really minor growth, like oh, I'll learn one new yoga pose, or like I'll learn a cooking technique I didn't know before. Like it doesn't have to be fancy growth or like winning. I do you feel like there's some sort of like progression that makes hobbies more fun for me? But maybe that's a mean thing.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say there probably has been some progression on the puzzle front. I can tell you I'm better at them than people who've like never done puzzles before. Like they're picking up and like what do I do with this piece? Is like I mean I cannot do quickly like I know how, I have a strategy. Oh so then I think, yeah, I think it totally counts. Yeah, okay, all right, I can not.
Speaker 2: Even do a twenty piece puzzle while you did like a five hundred piece puzzle.
Speaker 1: Like I'm not kidding, there is a certain but yeah, yeah, okay, Well then there we go. Although I don't like to come up with ones that are too challenging because then it is kind of my late night brainless sort of thing. So yeah, there are some that's like all blue, and I'm like, no, no, no, I will not be doing that. I need lots of kitschy art in.
Speaker 2: It to make it to a blue puzzle that's like all punishment is a punishment.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't want to do that. All right, Well, let's se what Megan Francis has to say. Well, Sarah and I are delighted to welcome Megan Francis to the show. So Megan, introduce yourself to our listeners.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hello, So yeah, I'm Megan Francis. I'm a mom of five. I'm a podcaster co host of the mom Our podcast. We've been in production for ten years, and I know that we've done some cross interviews with you guys. I can't remember which group of us was on which show. I feel like you were on The mom Hour with me and Sarah, my co host, was on Best of Both Worlds with yours Sarah.
Speaker 1: That is quite possible, Okay, I'd have to look through the archive.
Speaker 4: I and you and I go way back in the world of freelance writing. I've been a parenting writer primarily for gosh, over twenty years now.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we go way back.
Speaker 4: And I have a lot going on in my life where my kids are getting older. I got a divorce, I got remarried, I now have step children, I have a step grand baby, Laura.
Speaker 1: I'm in that world something.
Speaker 4: It's something, so yeah, that's kind of me in a nutshell. I live here in Michigan and I'm always loving to I don't know, just be trying new things.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And Megan has a brand new book called The Last Parenting Book You'll Ever Read, which is a wonderful title, by the way. And you said you didn't really want to write another parenting book, and yes, here you are. Yes, So what happened what led you to this? Well, you know how.
Speaker 4: Kids get senior writis And I know this because I went through this last year. My fourth son was a high school senior and I feel like he has the worst scenior writers I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: And he was a very good student. And at some point I.
Speaker 4: Thought, oh, this is just like how I feel about writing about parenting. Like I'm ready. It's been a great run. I'm ready to be done. Can we just move on? So I actually had a book proposal all about midlife and kind of like mid life reinvention, and I was pitching that and my agent, you know, kept getting rejected. And my agent said, I hate to be like this, but don't you think you have something to say about parenting in this stage? I was like, yeah, but I don't want to, you know. It was kind of like a little bit of resistance to revisiting themes that I've been talking about now for so long on the podcast and for so long in other writing I've done, which has included other parenting books, that I thought, do I have anything left to say? Is there really do I even want to even inhabit this time of my life or do I just want to jump forward? And I think what I decided is that I don't get to jump forward, like I'm still in it. My daughter, who's the last kid in my house, she's a sophomore. I'm still very much in it for the next two and a half three years with a kid in the house, and I am living this right now.
Speaker 3: I don't just get to jump to the next thing.
Speaker 4: I actually have a lot to say about the transition that I'm in.
Speaker 3: So I got over it.
Speaker 4: I had an attitude adjustment once I decided that for me, it wouldn't be meaningful to write about midlife if I didn't include the transition of my motherhood story as part of it, which has been such a big part of my life. In your life and the content we create in all of.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, so I think you called it lame duck parenting. At some point, it's like the last year of a presidential administration, Like you know it's going to be over, but you still have to run things.
Speaker 4: You're still do run things, and nobody cares that you're there anymore. That's how it feels like. My kids are just they don't know what they don't know about life. They have no idea how dumb they are about life right now, and it's my job to help them figure it out while also help them feel like they're the ones figuring it out, do you know what I mean, Like to help them feel a little smarter than they actually are.
Speaker 1: YEA, Yeah, Well, a lot of random texts about like things that maybe should be obvious or should not be obvious, like how do I pay at the dentist's office. I believe that was one of the ones you got.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, like so many random texts and questions, and in some ways it's flattering. I'm like, wow, you really I'm still the center of your world in a way. You really still think of me as this person who knows everything? And then I'll think, is it possible that I just missed an opportunity to teach you this? But actually, look back at your life when you were eighteen or nineteen, you didn't know anything. I didn't know anything at eighteen or nineteen. I just I conveniently forget how much my parents were still guiding me through things at that stage.
Speaker 1: To a degree. I mean, although we couldn't reach able as easily.
Speaker 3: It's very very true. So I guess they just went undone a lot of the time.
Speaker 1: So if you had a question in the dentist office, you were kind of stuck.
Speaker 3: That is very true.
Speaker 1: Unless the receptionist was going to call your mom, which seemed probably.
Speaker 3: A little talk. Then I know, no, they probably would.
Speaker 4: Honestly, they probably would be like, wait, why are you here without your mommy?
Speaker 3: You're only twenty Yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. It does stretch out the growing up process a little bit. But you know you have to grow and change too. I think you talk a little bit in the book about rewriting some of that mom muscle memory. Yeah, right, Like there are various things you discover are have changed just because life has changed. I mean, even like going to the mall.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, the example I gave of going to the mall was like something I thought was fun until my second child was like old enough to climb out of the stroller. And then by the time I had the third, no, thank you, I do not want to shop recreationally ever again. And so I didn't darken the doors of the mall for a really long time. And then a couple of years ago, when I just was down to two kids in the house and one was in driver's training and I was having to let him drive me about the countryside as it goes, he said, well, let's go to the mall. And I was like, oh, the mall. And then I thought, well, wait, this is great. I have two teenagers, they can just go do whatever. I can hang out in Barnes and Noble and get a pretzel.
Speaker 3: Nothing could be better.
Speaker 4: But in my mind I still had that like the back of my neck tensed up because I thought, oh, this is going to be awful. There's going to be you know, a three year old running around and bumping into the mannequins and feeling them up and stuff. And none of that happened because I don't have a three year old anymore. Dinner time, getting dinner on the table is not a hassle anymore. It's a pleasure now. And I've had to sort of rewire the way I approached things that once would have been really stressful or hard or impossible to say.
Speaker 3: Like, what's possible now? What's actually stressful?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: Some of these things that I just think are stressful aren't. And yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Although it's funny, I think about this with larger families and having a lot of kids, because your older two kids got to go to the mall, and now your younger two kids got to go to the mall. Number three, I guess just is at the parenting experience where there was no.
Speaker 4: Mall, no pictures, you know, poor kid. He also was my middle was at the time when digital photography was becoming in but it was awful.
Speaker 1: And yes, yes there's no pictures either. Pictures I have.
Speaker 3: So many photos of him.
Speaker 4: They're just lost of time, or they're just grainy, like pixelated junk on a hard drive somewhere.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they just get it, don't they, or they don't they.
Speaker 1: Do or they don't. Yeah, no, I know, I looked at it. We have a bunch of printed photos of my oldest because that was still when you were printing up photos. And then of course the youngest has had every day documented through you know iPhone that I still have, Yeah, my iCloud photos that I could look at tomorrow or today right in like two seconds. But yeah, the middle ones, it's sort.
Speaker 3: Of like, oh, you know, we're here, right, I do, we were here.
Speaker 1: I don't know the second one, in particular, there may be very few photos of the babyhood, so yeah, no reminding or even just how much stuff you buy in the grocery store, right, yeah, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: I was just thinking about this the other day.
Speaker 4: I went to Aldie and I was in and out in fifteen minutes, and I had an entire weeks with the groceries that fit in one bag. And even I think I mentioned this in the book, I even find myself eyeballing the half loaves of bread, which I once would have thought were like for senior citizens, you.
Speaker 3: Know, like people with low appetites.
Speaker 4: But now sometimes if I buy a whole loaf of bread or a gallon of milk, it just sits there and we really have to work hard to go through the food that escalated and de escalated so quickly. It was such a focus, and you're probably still really in that like high calorie consumption, like the peak getting a meal on the table, You're thinking mass, You're thinking what quantities can I get? How do I cook many things at once or batch? Because not because box and a half apostas, iast like no normal portions ever going to make it for your family, You're going to have to double or triple. I remember really coveting like a double wall of an plus arrange with the doublop, and I thought, if I could just do that, then I could have everything going at once that I could feed everyone. And now it's like, oh, I really don't have to think about food much at all. I'm kind of shifting to where I want to because it's fun because I had the time in the space to do it so differently than I did, and that's been hard too. Because I got a divorce eight years ago. So the year that I got divorced, my oldest was just graduated from high school and my youngest was seven. So suddenly the kids were going to their dads every other week, and so it was like every other week I still had to be super on and cook huge meals, but then the alternate week it was like me and leftovers from going out to the restaurant, and so then it was like okay, So finally got used to that, and then the kids started leaving. But then they came back, Laura, because it was COVID.
Speaker 3: They all came back. They all came back.
Speaker 1: It was like, I don't know what to do.
Speaker 4: I'm it's up, it's down, It's all over the place. Now I'm on a definite down words swing though, where you know, I'm coming into a busy time of my life. And I told my daughter the other day, Clara, I'm just gonna need you to just handle your own meals for a while. So I put a list on the instead of filling out the little meal thing that I still have on the fridge, even though I don't really need that anymore, kinds of comfort thing. It's like from that younger stage of motherhood. Instead of filling that out like I usually would, I just posted a little piece of paper on the fridge that just said ideas for you, because what I don't want is her coming to me and.
Speaker 3: Being like, let's see you for dinner.
Speaker 1: What should I make?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: So I just have everything I think she can handle more or less on her own, and I'm just like, pick one, Just go pick one one.
Speaker 1: Yep, they can't feed them. So that's true. That's true. Well, we're going to take a quick ad break and I will be back with more from Megan Francis. Well, I am back talking with Megan Francis, who is the author of the new book, The Last Parenting Book You'll Ever read for many years, Megan, you've also been running a podcast, yeah, called The Mom Hour, and that is, you know, as we're reinventing ourselves and transitioning, that is transitioning as well. What's going on with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, sort of along the same lines of me not wanting to write another book about parenting at some point. Sarah and I have Sarah Powers as my co host. She lives in California. I live in Michigan. So we've been doing this long distance for a really long time, and I have more older kids than her, but the younger ones hers aren't that much further behind me.
Speaker 3: She's got her three or so into the roof.
Speaker 4: But teenagers an on their way onto whatever's next, and the two of us now are on our way to whatever's next. And I think what we kind of have been circling around for a while is it's not just that we don't want to make content that we would have ten years ago that would appeal to young mom of little kids. It's like, we can't. We don't have our fingers on that pulse anymore. I don't know what moms of new babies like, what strollers they're buying or what. I kind of keep an eye on it, but sort of in a in a way don't care anymore either, which is a good sign it's time to move on. So for a little while, the solution was sort of like, well, on the podcast, let's just talk about that, Let's talk about what this stage of parenting looks like, and talk about our teens as much as we're comfortable talk about how things are changing. And then you kind of run out of things to say about that. I mean, you know, as a podcaster sometimes you really have to dig deep to find something fresh to talk about. And I think where we finally wound up is someone had asked us if we would do a podcast episode about things we wish we had done differently with our teens, and I said, I can't do that episode because A if I told you the truth, then it would be very unhelpful, like it would actually probably make people feel really bad. But if I didn't tell the truth, I'd be lying, like it wouldn't be real. And if I didn't tell you everything, it would gloss over the hard stuff. So much about parenting teenagers and then the shifting relationship into young adulthood is not really about me or what I did or didn't do, so there's no advice to give. Like I did it, It's done, and do I wish I would have done some things different, Sure, but I couldn't have told you then what those things were. And some are very surprising even to me now. And it's my kid's story, so don't want to talk about it. And so I think we finally came to a stage where we thought it's just time to bring that to an end. So that podcast is ten years old, turned ten last month actually in March, and now we're going to be winding it down and so at the end of June, which kind of coincides with my book which is out in May, it's going to be done, like we're ceasing publication. You'll still be able to find the archives. We have hundreds and hundreds of episodes, so that'll still be there indefinitely.
Speaker 3: But we just wanted to put kind.
Speaker 4: Of a clean cap on that and it, yeah, called the mom Our. There's not really a lot of other places we.
Speaker 1: Could go with.
Speaker 4: It's not the kind of thing where we could just shift our focus. So we're starting a brand new podcast called Midlife Lady Leisure Pursuits and that is going to be all about the things that we like to do as middle aged ladies.
Speaker 1: Awesome, and we're going to talk about that in a minute. Good But I'm yeah, I'm kind of curious about this because of course Sarah and I are thinking about this too. Our youngest children are five and seven, so we still have a fair we're still relevant, so fastic. Well yeah, I mean, but this is the thing, I mean, and certain we don't have babies or toddlers anymore, and a lot of people find us they are like, it's recommended that they listen to our show as they are going back to work after maternity. Yes, right, And so we've been pounder it like how do we keep serving up relevant content for people in that stage of life?
Speaker 4: So I don't know, yeah, and I think with something like best of both worlds, like there is a place to take that into any stage that you're in. But you're right, it's tricky when people find you, like on a specific topic and that episode. We've had people email us before and say, hey, I'm looking for this resource or something you mentioned in episode one hundred and we're like, I mean, we forgot about that episode seven years ago. I don't even remember of the episode we recorded two weeks ago, let alone that long ago. But people don't know exactly where you are, and then they realize.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is really old content. It is really a tricky thing.
Speaker 4: And sometimes I think a rebrand isn't necessary, but sometimes it's helpful to like put a container around the thing that was and start a brand new thing that can be what you want us to be.
Speaker 1: So interesting, just something to think about, something to think about or maybe we just have frequent guests with young kids or figure that or that or that. Yeah, and you know, you've also been reinventing yourself. I mean we mentioned you got remarried, yeah, in twenty twenty three. I'm very curious how being a midlife newlyywed is different from being I mean, you were what like twenty.
Speaker 3: The first Yeah, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, we're so much smarter when I got married the first time around. And I think that's true whether you get married for the first time when you're twenty or thirty or you know, and wherever. I just think there's so much you don't know about what marriage is, and now we know those things. I think the thing that has been most interesting that I didn't really see coming as a challenge is that I got really used to being alone, like living singly as a grown up, a straight up grown up with grown children.
Speaker 3: I got really used to that.
Speaker 4: I got used to making all my own decisions about how I was going to spend my money, or what TV show I was going to watch or not watch, like how I was going to decorate the living room, whatever it was. It was all mine to decide for kind of a long time. I was single for gosh, I don't know I was. He and I have been together for five years, but we just got married two years ago, and I was divorced. I was probably like totally on my own for six is years, and that was just enough time to kind of dig in. So another nice thing, though, is it's really fun because we're on the other side of all that family building, life building, career building.
Speaker 3: We're coasting now.
Speaker 4: We're not doing all that hardcore career building anymore. We're not we're not raising a young family. So we have a lot of leisure time and we have a lot of time to just say, Okay, here's what we've done, here's what we've built. Now what like, what does this next stage of our lives look like? And we get to do it together without that baggage from the past, which is really nice and very lovely. So it's been mostly mostly really positive, with a few times of me going, oh my gosh, I need some space, like where do I go?
Speaker 3: I got a room of my own?
Speaker 1: Well, and you get to try out the grandma life, right.
Speaker 3: Actually, yes, I have.
Speaker 4: So by the time Eric and I got married, his son oldest son. He's got a son and a daughter. The oldest had been remarried and then they had a baby, like a few months after we got married. So I get to be a grandma, which is I was not ready for that.
Speaker 3: And now it could be like any of my older kids could procreate at any moment.
Speaker 1: I mean, could happen.
Speaker 3: That would be surprising to me right now, but it could happen.
Speaker 1: It could happen.
Speaker 4: But I just didn't see it coming quite so. Like it was like a few months, you know, it was like, oh, here I am marrying into this family where there's already this baby on the way, and it's been lovely, Like being at Grandma's kind of the best. It's actually, I think being in a blended family the grandma that's not the biological ties even better because I just get to truly show up and play with the baby. But I have no baggage, Like however they raise this baby.
Speaker 1: It has nothing to do with you, to do with me.
Speaker 4: It's not reflective of anything I did. It doesn't feel like a rejection of my parenting. And I actually kind of jive with a lot of what they're doing anyway, which is great.
Speaker 3: But even if I didn't, I'd be like, eh, whatever, it's their life, so do they do that.
Speaker 4: They do them, and I just get to show up and play and it's lovely. Oh my gosh, she's talking now. We decided he's going to call me Meme because I kind of wanted a cute grandma name. And yeah, yeah, he's already got two grandma's and two grandpa's, so it's like, all right, well, who can I be this a little bit different?
Speaker 3: And I just decided.
Speaker 4: I looked it up and it said it's a fun, loving and sessey grandma name or something, and I thought, oh, I like that, Let's just do it.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll go for there. Maybe that'll be my grandma name. Someday. We'll see to think about that.
Speaker 4: But you have some on ramp because they don't come out talking, so you don't have.
Speaker 3: To worry about it for a little bit.
Speaker 1: To worry about that later. Yeah. All right, Well, we're gonna take one more quick ad break and then I'll be back with more from Megan Francis. Well, I am back talking with Megan Francis, who is the author of the brand new book The Last Parenting Book You'll Ever Read. She's been talking about transitioning The Mom Hour out to ending publication of that and launching her new podcast about mid life Lady Pursuit. So I want to talk about midlife lady pursuits. I think you have a phrase in the book that creativity is the new fertility. Yes, what is a midlife lady pleisure pursuit? How is this?
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing, Sarah and I my co host Sarah, we have a theory that in their forties, you know, unless they have like a newborn in their forties, in that case, you're probably pushing it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we had that for it. Yes, well, my midlife lady pleleisher pursuits are gonna be a little bit lurterer.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So at some point in midlife, all women either take up yoga, start getting puppies, like fancy puppies, I chicken chickens.
Speaker 3: I've got those two.
Speaker 4: They get really into something, right, they garden, We could think of the watercolor painting whatever. We could think of a million stereotypes and they're kind of true. And a lot of that is because we now have our hands free, we have the ability to dabble again. All of that heart not that we're not still career building, but it doesn't have that say, I don't know. I can't speak for you, Laura, but for me, the energy I had behind building a career, say twenty years ago or even ten years ago, it's a very different energy now, I would say now it's more like a sustained yet like restrained energy. Maybe that's the right way to put it, Like I'm going to try this. I'm going to see if it works. If it doesn't, great, I still want.
Speaker 3: To be productive. I still want to be doing things.
Speaker 4: I love to work, but I don't feel that burn to make a mark anymore that I once did. And so it's lovely. It opens up a lot of mental space and the ability to kind of take a step back and say, like, how do I want to spend the next two three four decades of my life? What do I want to try that I haven't gotten around to, Maybe because my kids were too little, Maybe because I thought it was sort of frivolous and dumb, and like, why there's so much talk right now about nervous systems. I'm not a wellness buru. I don't know, but I do sometimes look back and think, Man, I put my nervous system through a lot when I had so many little kids, and I was trying to do so much, so intensely, and I just don't want to.
Speaker 3: Do that right now. I want some leisure pursuits.
Speaker 4: So for me that yes, I have chickens, and I talk to my chickens and I call them my little babies.
Speaker 3: And I don't cuddle them. They're not cuddle chickens. Sit in pan.
Speaker 4: They didn't touch them in lovely chickens. No, I didn't touch them enough when they were babies. But that, for me, is a leisure pursuit. Writing in some ways, even though it's been a career for so long, can become a leisure pursuit if I come at it with that mindset. I took up embroidery. I love embroidering, like using my hands. I'm making sour dough bread, I make yogurt and cheese.
Speaker 1: I feel like I know it's all one baby cliche.
Speaker 4: I know I am the cliche. But cliches are there for a reason.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, let's say somebody doesn't know what part of the cliche they want to be. Yah, how does one go about figuring this out?
Speaker 4: I think you have to just try things on. And for me, it really felt like going back to before I had kids. And sometimes it's hard before you were a teenager too, because teenager kind of throws you into a you're not quite yourself, you know what I mean? Like during that time of life, for me, it was like going back to being eight years old and thinking what gave me pleasure? What was I fascinated by. I remember my mom had all these embroidered pillowcases and I would just run my finger along the embroidery, and I was so fascinated. I was never quite as fascinated by the way with knitted things, which probably explains why knitting I'm like, eh, you know, I'd like to take it up at some point just to see if I could do it. But I wasn't, as I guess, enamored with that as I was decorative stitches. And so what does that tell me about how I might want to spend my time now? Same thing with when I used to make art. Before I thought I was bad at making art. I used to love to paint and put paint on paper, and then I got the idea, wasn't any good at it?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Was I good at it?
Speaker 4: No? I'm not good at it, but it doesn't matter. I'm not doing it to be good at it. I'm not trying to build a side hustle. It's just leisure. It's a way to use my hands and chill my brain out a little bit and create in a way that doesn't have a lot of strings attached.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you shift to this moment of trying to fill time, yeah, as opposed to constantly grasping.
Speaker 4: At Absolutely there is something to that idea of like, wow, I have time, and I could stare at a screen, or I could try to cook up another business idea, which I'm too good at.
Speaker 3: I need less of that in my life sometimes.
Speaker 4: Or you know, I could just sit here and like while away an hour just because I want to, just because I could just be. And that was a hard place for me to get to, you know, as a mom of many, many kids and doing all these other things, and especially working from home, Like you don't look at time as something that is abundant. Often you look at it as things you break down into small chunks. I remember when I had lists all over my office of things I could do in five minutes, ten minutes, fifteen minutes, because then if I found myself with five minutes, I'd be like, ooh, what can I do?
Speaker 3: Okay, jump into that.
Speaker 4: Now I've already used up ten seconds, so I've only got four minutes and fifty seconds now. I don't have to think like that really hardly ever, And it's quite lovely.
Speaker 1: Actually, it's a different world entirely exactly exactly. Although I've been pondering with figuring out how to incorporate older children into things right like that, It'd be great if somebody wanted to travel with you, but you don't know that they'd be available. I mean, I guess you just have to be a little bit more flexible with the planning on things like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I actually was just thinking about that because I feel like with my older sons, not my oldest, but my second and third, I feel like I sort of missed a window. There was a lot of chaos happening when they were of the age where we might have gotten some time to do things like that. And I think, gosh, it would be really nice to go someplace with them individually, each each kid, and get that alone time that I really didn't get. But they're going to have to kind of direct that I think, and that's hard. Like I would like to say, hey, let's pick a week and let's do this in this and they've got their own they're doing the young twenties thing, and that might not work with their work schedule or their school schedule, or their life or their girlfriends or whatever, like whatever they're doing. So I think I have to kind of hold on to those goals. I once like those ideals just with a loose script because some of them might not happen. And when you're the manager of your home, it's up to you if it happens, and you're good at making stuff happen, Laura, So like it's really hard to let go when you're like, now it's I can't make them show up for this. I can't make them care. They don't live here anymore, so they get to decide, and that is emotionally. That's been a little bit tough for me at the holidays, especially like that every Christmas for the last three or four years, I've thought, is this it is this the last one where we all show up because next year someone might be in a different country or have a significant other and decide they don't want to come home.
Speaker 3: And any Christmas.
Speaker 1: It could be any Christmas, it could be one anyone exactly exactly. Well, so Megan, we always end with a love of the week. Okay, So I mean I could go first, Well, what I would say? I really like the small world of writing? Because guys, I got it. You know. I have an advanced copy of Megan's book and the three blurbs on the cover are like all from friends with mine and I'm like, hey, I like we could. We should have a party for all these people.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: I like that idea. How about you? What's good for you this week?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I have to tell you I have been using my library a lot lately, and we're recording this a little bit ahead of time, and I actually just wrote a blog post about how much I love my library, so I'm kind of in that mental mode. But one of the reasons I love it is that I decided that I'm gonna have a different attitude about paying fines. I am now going to pay my library fine with a smile on my face because they support the library, and it's like a rental. It's like, I like this book so much I couldn't return it in time. So there you go, Yes, there you go.
Speaker 1: They're usually not too terrible in terms.
Speaker 3: Of well, I mean there have been times that might have gotten since like.
Speaker 1: Nineteen eighty yeah yeah yeah, or.
Speaker 4: You have a whole bunch of kids at home who've hoarded books and then you lost til I've been there, but I'm not there anymore.
Speaker 3: Different stage of life.
Speaker 1: So different stage okay, good good, I love it. Well. The library it's a good midlife lady pursuer as well. It's spending time there. I love my library as well well. Meggan, thank you so much for joining us. Where can people find you? So?
Speaker 4: The best place to find me probably these days is substack. I'm really not doing social media hardly at all right now. I mean I'm doing a little bit more for the book launch because you kind of have to, but you have to.
Speaker 3: I'm not there very much.
Speaker 4: So if you want to find me, I have a podcast and a substack, like a written substack. It's at Meganfrancis dot substack dot com. And that's Megan with two a's M E A T G A N not the first. There is an e in there too, right right, Megan? No, actually I do again, I too think that is one of the many spellings of Megan, but mine's m e ah g A nh N.
Speaker 1: Got it, got it all right, Megan, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thanks Laura, this has been fun.
Speaker 2: All right, we are back always fun hearing from Megan. So our question comes from a listener who would like to know what life skills should kids know as they head off for college. Laura, is that something you've started to think about?
Speaker 1: I definitely have. There's been a couple of fascinating books about this over the last few years, about you know, adulting and sort of the skills somebody life skills people need, and I think all of those are probably good to like look through, because there's definite blind spots for anything. I mean, just like life things you don't know, like that you should have some cash in a hotel to leave as a tip in the room, like good people know that. I don't know. That's not the kind of thing that like, you know, spring from the womb knowing, and especially in our world where we people don't even use that much cash anymore, it's the kind of thing that somebody wouldn't think about. So I, you know, was sending my boys off to a competition where they were staying in a hotel rooms. I was like thinking about that. I like, oh, yeah, usually I should take this because that's an expectation. But we're probably like, okay, basic laundry, right, doing your own laundry, I think in such a way that it will not ruin your clothes. So I guess the basic skills involved in that. Some cooking. I mean, even if people are mostly in a cafeteria for the first year or two, it might be helpful at least know, like you know that down the dorm kitchen, like you can make yourself some mac and chooes if you want. But also basic nutrition, like that you can't just eat cereal from the cafeteria and expect it to work. I mean maybe maybe for some people, or you're gonna wind up like with scurvy or something.
Speaker 2: I think Josh talked about how like he used to live on just like spaghetti, sauce and spaghetti, like no protein, no nothing. I'm like, after a certain point, you just start to not feel good.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, one would think I mean that you're like digesticist. I assure people have like horrible you know, constipation or something. Eventually you learn you learn, but hopefully they don't always have to learn through harsh trial and error. Let's see what else, Okay, basic planning and scheduling, I mean, Sarah, maybe this is something we should put together, like basic young adult how to schedule your life kind of thing. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would actually be really fun to put together, like planning for I mean, Annabelle has talked about having her own plan podcasts. I don't know where is she going to come up with that.
Speaker 1: Idea, but yeah, who knows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I do feel like some basics are needed, although I think as these productivity techniques kind of enter like the social media's like guyst maybe they've been exposed to more of them, like I feel like TikTok and god knows what. But you're right some of them probably have blind spots there. And you mentioned financial I could use that big time when I headed to college.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, even if you plan to be paying most of the bills for a kid in their first few years, but there's probably some amount that you're planning on providing them, like per month or per week or whatever it is, and so then they need to think about how to make that cover the things that they will have, you know that, Like if I'm going to need to buy both books and food out of this, maybe I shouldn't like go out for a huge dinner like right after getting it. If my parents are not like incredibly amenable to the idea of like giving me more just because I ran through it, So that would be something to talk about. It's even just like how to pay right, like the mechanics of paying at a restaurant, paying for gas in a car, paying for bus fairs, for instance, Like there's often ways to think that. You know, they're smart kids. Obviously they'll probably figure it out, but it might help to have a little bit of discussion on it. And then basic health like Sarah used send kids who often have chronic conditions off on their own, Like how do you even approach that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we definitely like make a point to discuss that. Like I feel like I have a whole like going to college speech for my type one diabetes patients because it's like, you need to have your supplies, this is what alcohol will do to you, and this is how to be safe and like all kinds of stuff, and I think it's, yeah, it's important for teens to have a plan of like how to access their medical record and be connected to the like online portals so that they could contact their doctor for something, or to make sure they're sharing the access with their parents now that they're not a minor, to know how they're going to be getting their prescriptions up in college. Do you know what to do in an emergency or like what an emergency?
Speaker 1: Actually it is an emergency?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, Like you want to teach them about what men and you don't want to scare them, but like, okay, bad neck pain and high fever, like you go to.
Speaker 1: The er, but even that you have a fever, Like how do they know that they have a fever? Right? Like? How many kids are walking around with a thermometer? So you have to like say, do you have a thermometer like a first aid kit or something with you like that that might be something to check. You know, I'm not sure that my kids have ever on their own taken their temperature, so totally. Yeah, many life skills to concern. So anyway, we're really in this with you right now. We're figuring though, So if listeners who do have older children who have launched children have anything to add to this list, please send it to us, we will share it as well. But yeah, so we've been talking with Megan Francis on the last parenting book You'll ever read. We will be back next week with more on making work and life fit together.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. You can find me Sarah at the shoebox dot com or at the Underscore Shoebox on Instagram, and you can.
Speaker 1: Find me Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. This has been the best of both worlds podcasts. Please join us next time for more on making work and life work together.