Speaker 1: You're listening to Jojo See One Now with me Jojo Seua and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh finally I get to talk about my baby Karma. Welcome back to Jojo See One Now my podcast.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: What not only what a week hasn't been, but what a month, what the last three months, what the last six months?
Speaker 3: And what a.
Speaker 2: Last last two years it has been. I cannot believe that the day April fifth has now come and gone and now we are here. I honestly, when April fifth arrived, I was like, holy shit, this day is real. I almost all think I let myself believe it. I remember I was in a meeting in February and that is when I got told that April fifth was gonna be the day that Karma came out. And I honestly like, I didn't think that was like I'm realistic at all, if that makes sense. Like I was like, that is so far away. And now today, like I look at my phone and I'm like, oh my god, this coming on April for twenty twenty four, we are never ever gonna see ever again.
Speaker 3: Like that to me is actually mind blowing.
Speaker 2: But I do have a tattooed on my hand, so I will remember it for the rest of my life, whether I like it or not.
Speaker 3: It is stuck literally on me in permanent ink.
Speaker 2: But for anyone that doesn't know, April fifth was, honestly, I would say by far the biggest day in my.
Speaker 3: Life, biggest day in my career. For sure.
Speaker 2: It has when Karma, my first song as an adult, hit the stage and the music video came out and I really got to start this cool adulthood journey of being an adult artist, which is something that I have craved for longer than anybody knows. But I've been truly working in focusing on for the last like two two years, and so for it to finally be here after the longest time, after having so much patience for it to finally be here, it is just one big ass celebration. Over the last like two months, we have been having the most insane fucking release plan you have ever seen in your life. I posted over eighty two teasers for Karma. The last day that I counted, it was eighty two, but then I posted a few that day, so I don't know the exact number.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's closed to ninety, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, over over eighty teasers eighty that. Honestly, I'll tell you kind of a funny story. I had the whole release plan for Karma. I literally did from day one to I think it was like a sixty day release plan. And so I had from day one to sixty all planned out. Everything I was gonna post, all structured out. Then I woke up the day before it was supposed to start and I was like.
Speaker 3: Nope, abort mission. It's all awful. I can't do this release plan. It's not gonna work.
Speaker 2: And so then I stayed awake all night, changed everything, remade some things, and that what we did is the release plan that I came up with that night. I don't even know how to feel. I mean, Karma in the first twelve hours of being released, has three million views, is number one trending, number one on YouTube. That is freaking crazy it is. The music video is number three on the iTunes charts. The song itself is number ten on the iTunes Pop charts. The song itself, I don't know what it is on the overall charts. Last time I checked it was in the forties. But it's so crazy to me that the world's response has been all over the place. I remember when I started the teasers, everyone was like, you need to can it with the teasers. But now I'm like, look, the teasers are over. You all made it, and look at it was worth it, wasn't it. And I mean, look, say what you want about it, say what you want about me.
Speaker 3: But it fucking worked and it worked really well.
Speaker 2: And now I think that if I, myself, or am necessarily honestly other artists do anything less, it's gonna be like, wait, but why not do that again?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? And even though people hated.
Speaker 2: It, it did set a standard, especially for myself, of like, oh, this is the kind of art we're making. This is the kind of shit we're doing, you know what I mean. And I think that is so important for me to keep in mind with my future music, with my future projects, that everything needs to be at this mass, mass mass level. As I was doing the teasers and as I was doing this release plan, there was a lot of comments that were like, Jojo needs to fire her marketing team. Whoever JoJo's marketing team is needs to get out of here.
Speaker 3: Those are my.
Speaker 2: Favorite comments ever, because I'm literally like, it's me, bitch, I am my marketing team. I do have very very good people on my team. I was like and very good helpers and very good workers, and they are all amazing. But I run this shit. I am the one who is pressing posts. I am the one who is saying what we're doing.
Speaker 3: I am the marketing team.
Speaker 2: And so anytime I would see those, I'd be like, look, you are marketing off of my marketing. You are getting alike on your comment after my marketing, You're making fun of my video, you're giving me another view, you're making fun of me.
Speaker 3: You're marketing off of my marketing.
Speaker 2: That to me was the most hysterical thing about the Internet. And honestly, I will be very honest, I had a lot of days that I was actually upset about things and down on myself, and I cried more than I ever have in these last two months while this whole release plan has been happening for Karma, because truly, it is my baby and it is so important to.
Speaker 3: Me that the world.
Speaker 2: Uh not necessarily likes it, but listens to it and and and and enjoys it, I think is the right word. Whether you like it or not, you're enjoying it and Uh, that is something that I always want to do. I wanted to create art that people just enjoyed, and uh, I think Karma definitely did that. I mean, the numbers don't lie, the views don't lie, the streams don't lie, the likes don't lie.
Speaker 3: None of it lies.
Speaker 2: And so I just, honestly, I truly am so grateful for every every step of this journey that has been hard, because it has taught me a fuck ton about myself and it's taught me that I am resilient. And it's also taught me that, believe it or not, I kind of enjoy being the Internet Tuman bunching bag because look, I can take it and whether whether people are into it or not, they are watching it, they are streaming it, they want to know about it, and they will continue to mark it off of my marketing. And that to me is kind of what's gotten me through. You know. It's like it's a lot of people's guilty pleasure. In a way, I did something. I did a bit of a press stunt where I went to the iHeartRadio Music Awards in my Black Beast costume, and honestly, on the way to the iHeartRadio Music Awards. This was also kind of still in teaser phase. It was a few days before the Karma music video came out, so it was like the biggest tease of them all, Like I'm literally out in the wild wearing this outfit, wearing this hair, wearing this makeup, and it's just like boom, right here in front of you and the car ride over there, I was like, what the fuck am I doing?
Speaker 3: Like what am I doing? Why am I? Okay?
Speaker 2: Then I got there and I've I was feeling a little bit more that I was sitting in the audience and I honestly.
Speaker 3: Forgot what I looked like for a second. And then.
Speaker 2: Videos got posted online and all of the comments.
Speaker 3: Were negative, all of them, and I was like fuck.
Speaker 2: Then I looked at the views and the views were insane, highest highest from that night, and I was like, that's really interesting. And then there was a post I think Billboard posted where I was the last photo in the slide, but it was I mean, there was everybody in this slide, Everyone of everyone's favorite artists was in this specific slide, and all of the comments, even though they were negative, all of them were about me, and that to me was a very interesting feeling because I was like, damn, people are being dicks to me. But out of all ten of these slides, that is the one they choose to comment about. It kind of blew my mind in a way, and I decided that, you know what, fuck it, I'm just gonna own it. I'm just gonna own it. I'm here, there's no turning back, there's no undoing. Everything is out there. I'm just gonna own it. And then I wake up the next day and a lot of people were saying that this outfit looks like it was inspired by Kiss by Gene Simmons from Kiss and which also, I need to clarify a clip of me on the Karmacite got released where I'm saying it sounds like I'm saying I don't know who Gene Simmons is. That is not true. Of course I know who Gene Simmons is. But it was the way that the interviewer was kind of presenting what I looked like I did. I thought she was making like a specific Gene Simmons reference that that I didn't know, but of course I know who Gene Simmons is. Anyways, just had to clear that one up. But the world was like, Oh, you look like Kiss, you look like Gene Simmons. You look like that, You look like that?
Speaker 3: And when I.
Speaker 2: Woke up and I woke up to an article that Gene Simmons himself had responded to the comments of me looking like him saying that JoJo's cool. Anyone who doesn't think so it is ordinary, and that girls more than that, she is extraordinary. Who should be saying all of these incredible things about me? I did not know what to feel. I didn't know how to feel. I I mean Gene Simmons, like that's that is somebody who we have all listened to at some point in our life. Kiss is a band that we I mean, it is beyond iconic, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: It is legendary.
Speaker 2: And for Geene Simmons even know that I exist is or just fucking insane. And then much less to get the call from TMZ, and then to answer the call from TMZ and then to say that he thinks I'm cool and that it's cool and that he likes it, that is just fucking wild. And so that honestly gave me a lot of a lot of reassurance that the art that I'm making is right and it is what the world needs for the day. Because for me, my inspirations are people like Kiss, people like Freddie Mercury, people like Elton John Lady Gaga, people who are larger than life, unafraid to be different, unafraid to change the way, change the path, change the pattern, make something bigger than what people are ready for. That to me is something that I've wanted to do. And so for fucking Gene Simmons himself to be saying that that is cool and that.
Speaker 3: Fuck me to say that I'm cool.
Speaker 2: Like that, that I mean it was. It was honestly the most like satisfying time I've ever checked my phone in the morning to see that. Anyways, I want to cut to the release of Karma because on the day that Karma released, I had a couple of parties in West Hollywood. Before I went to these parties, I had a good old fashioned anxiety attack. I honestly have never really had one before like this. And I was at home and luckily somebody was with me, and I just got real quiet and she was like, what's wrong?
Speaker 3: Are you okay?
Speaker 2: And I was like, honestly, I was like, I don't like using this word. I was like, but the only way to describe how I'm feeling right now. I was anxious, And I said, because I'm feeling so many emotions and they're not all bad, but they are sure as hell not all good.
Speaker 3: She was like, Okay, what are you feeling?
Speaker 2: And I was like, I'm feeling happy, I'm feeling sad, I'm feeling nervous, I'm feeling scared, I'm feeling proud, but I'm feeling confused. But I'm feeling anxious. I was like, I I simultaneously was feeling all of the feelings and my body was like kind of shutting down on me. As I'm sitting there with one black beastie and one white yacht eye. And I looked at myself in me and I'm like, well again, that's same, Like what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, tears started streaming down my face and I had to leave in like ten minutes. I was like, no, we ain't doing this, we are not doing this. I'm gonna need you to stop comforting me. We are gonna get up. We're gonna go get a snack. So I went downstairs, got a snack, did some jumping jacks. Honestly, if you're ever crying, having a little bit of a break down, get your ass up, do some jumping jacks, because that shit will stop it every single time without failure. Do ten to twenty to thirty to forty to fifty, do or whatever many it takes. Then after that I was okay.
Speaker 3: And uh, then we went down.
Speaker 2: To West freaking Hollywood, home of the Gays.
Speaker 3: And we had the best best freaking night, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So for anybody who doesn't know, West Hollywood is famous for these awesome, incredible gay clubs, and uh, there were these two clubs called Beaches and Rockos. And at both of those clubs, I got to kind of pop in and do these little like it like surprise the people that were there, give out some drink tickets, just have have fun, have a bit of a laugh, show them the music video for the first time. And then I got to play a couple of new songs that nobody got to hear yet, and so that was fun to see everyone's reaction. And we started off at Beaches and honestly, I'm not gonna like go out to the beaches and it was awkward at first. I was like I don't really know what to do. I'm not really there's like it was like full, but it was like not ackwardly not full, if that makes sense. And then like once I got on the stage, everybody from the outside filled in and then it was like packed stayed up beaches for thirty minutes. The reaction was great. And then we went to Rockos and that is.
Speaker 3: Where shit got insane.
Speaker 2: I got on stage at Rockos and I.
Speaker 3: I have never felt love like in that room.
Speaker 2: I you know, in the movie scene, like in any movie about any rock star wind there's like the fans screaming and it kind of does that like zone in sound effect where it like circles the artists and then there's like people screaming, but it's like kind of blurred out screams and they're kind of drowned out, you know that sound. I got to hear that with my years live. I cannot explain the feeling. And it did not end. I literally I stood on the stage and it lasted for I mean honestly, like three or four minutes. Like it was at the point where I was like, Okay, how am I gonna get people to like stop?
Speaker 3: Like I gotta.
Speaker 2: I want to play new songs. I want to play on the music video, like what? And then then they started chanting my name, and I, I mean, I started solving.
Speaker 3: I really did.
Speaker 2: I started bawling on stage again, six time crying that day.
Speaker 3: But it was it was just so I.
Speaker 2: Felt so celebrated, and that was a feeling that I hadn't felt yet with Karma and the release of this, it was more about people being assholes than it was about people supporting it. And so to have a room full, I mean full of people in Rocko, was one of the most iconic West Hollywood clubs, was just insane. And then this honestly wasn't even my high of the day. This was the high of my life so far. It was I played the music video at Rockos and it was thirty minutes before the music video was released.
Speaker 3: In the pre course of the.
Speaker 2: Song that shall not Lie, that shall not see, that shall not get caught, and the music video goes, that shall not get caught.
Speaker 3: Or You'll end up just like me.
Speaker 2: So there's like a little break in it, right because we needed to add some of the like tension build when I tell you, the whole room, the whole room, screamed, or You'll end up just like me over the silence of the music video the whole room. I mean, I I have never felt a moment like that in my life. I have been on a world tour, I have played in some of the biggest arenas in.
Speaker 3: The world, and I've never ever felt that.
Speaker 2: It was crazy. It was nuts. My best friends were all there, my family was all there. Seeing my mom and dad in the back of weho clubs is something that I will never ever forget for as long as I live. And if I ever do forget, somebody please remind me, because I was the best freaking moments ever. Anyway, So we were at Rocos and then we wrapped it up at Rocos and we went over to another club that is called Heart and we closed down that club to have Club Karma. And Club Karma was exclusive invite only for my friends, for my family, for my label, for my representatives, for all of those type of people, and that, I mean, that was actually insane. We had the best night, got to play the music video for everyone, got to celebrate the music video. The rush for me of going upstairs to like hide out ahead like a little vip room and I'd go hide out. I'd check the views on the music video, and then I'd run back down, and then i'd go back up.
Speaker 3: Ten minutes later.
Speaker 2: And I remember I went up one time and it started trending on YouTube. It started at number twenty four and I lost it. I lost it. I'm running down and I went and I told told my one of my people on my marketing team. His name is Drew, and I told him and I was like, dude, look it. And then I ran over to my mom and I was like, mom, number twenty four. And then I went over and my best friend Rachel, she's also a YouTuber and so she knows what that means. And so I went over and I was like, I gotta tell you, it's number twenty four, and we all.
Speaker 3: Lost our minds. I mean, it was crazy.
Speaker 2: And then while I was still there, it got to number eleven, and then I got to number five, and then I got to number three, and then when I got home from Club Karma, it was at number one, which I I've only ever had I think two videos go to number one trending on YouTube.
Speaker 3: One of them was a Mariana.
Speaker 2: Saying slime video, and then one of them I think was maybe dream music video. But that I mean, that is a very very rare thing to get to number one trending on youtub That is.
Speaker 3: Insane.
Speaker 2: It is actually insane. Anyways, we spent the night at Glove Karma. We had so much fun. I ended up taking my three best friends out for tacos. At one point thirty in the morning, we went to the best West Hollywood open all night taco spot, got some tacos, came back to the house, realized the music videos out number one. Then I looked at myself in the mir and realized, I look fucking insane. I need to take this hair out. I need to take this makeup off. Took me over an hour to get it off, and I fuck me. I honestly didn't even take my hair out. Somebody helped me take my hair out, but I took my makeup off and it took an hour. Awful, but so much freaking fun. One moment of like the release of Karma, that was actually really fun for me in the in the teas phase of Karma was showing it to all of my people. You know. Of course, my mom was with me every step of the way. My mom. I mean, my mom was a producer on it. She did all the wardrobe. She's seawall management, so she I mean she runs everything on the set.
Speaker 3: And so that girl she's been with.
Speaker 2: Me since I came up with the idea to the time I got the first edit, to the time it was actually really she has been through it all with me. My dad showing him for the first time was pretty fun. I'm not gonna lie. He my dad is the most supportive. He was on set with us, and he was funny on set. I mean, it's it's me all over another girl, you know what I mean, It's actually me all over two other girls.
Speaker 3: And so for him on set he was like, oh, like, oh my god, what what what's happening? And then but he loves the video. He's funny. He'll come up to me.
Speaker 2: I was a bad girl. I did some bad things. He has like his like remix that he does. My brother and his girlfriend Abby, there are reactions. They they loved it. They support so much. My brother has always been so supportive. They really understand the art, you know what I mean, And they know who I am as a human, and they know my values as a human and so they get it, you know what I mean, And that my friends.
Speaker 3: I mean, I honestly.
Speaker 2: Loved showing my friends so much because their reactions were so so.
Speaker 3: So fucking iconic.
Speaker 2: I mean, I remember I showed Tyler and his reaction was crazy. I showed my friend Alison Alison Holker and her reaction was hysterical. Showed my best friend Savannah. I showed the two girls in the music video, Millian Alexis, showed some of the dancers. I showed my tap teacher Kelsey. Showing people the music video was my favorite thing to do because people just didn't know what to expect. And I started showing people, you know, before the teasers even started, because we had the music video done in January, so I got to show people very early on. And I mean the jaw drops and it was so funny because everybody like jaw drops and gasps at specific parts of the video, but every single person is the same. Like I could do a big split screen of all the people that I've shown, and it's almost like the reaction is choreographed.
Speaker 3: Like it what can I say? The video is a sharker.
Speaker 2: And now karma is out for the world. It blows my mind that the day has finally come where people can just listen to the song, they can hear the full thing, they can stream it, they can watch it. The music video is honestly exceeding my expectations. I was too much of a little bit to say my goal was to have a million views in twenty four hours, because I didn't know if it would do that, and I didn't want to set a goal that I couldn't meet, and so I told myself I was like, Okay, if I never got a million views in the twenty where I was like, I would be beyond excited.
Speaker 3: But then I was like, realistically, like, let's really hope for five hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, but like most realistically, I'm thinking like two hundred thousand maybe in twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: And I mean in.
Speaker 2: The first twelve it did three million, which is actually insane. I mean, I don't even know. I don't even know how to feel. I don't even know how to think. I don't even know, I don't even know anything. It just feels like so satisfying, and I feel so satisfied and I feel so grateful.
Speaker 3: It is all just so amazing.
Speaker 2: But now here's the tricky thing, right, So we put out Karma and it's like, shit, now what And honestly, we did not know. We didn't know our next move for quite some time, but then eventually it hit what.
Speaker 3: Our next move was.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna do a full podcast about my next move after Karma, what's coming up next? What I have coming up next beyond me music, but especially in the music world, and also the reason why what's coming next is coming next, because man, the way that the world decided what's coming next is actually crazy. I had a few options and the world.
Speaker 3: Chose for me.
Speaker 2: So get ready for Jojesia now next freaking week. I love you all so very much. Thank you for listening. Thank you for being there for me. Whether you are listening in support or you're listening to be a dick and not support. Either way, you listened, and I appreciate you. Anybody out there who feels like, uh, honestly, I'm gonna be honest with the way that I feel sometimes a little bit of a loser. Anybody who feels like a little bit of loser, I want you to know you're not freaking perfect. Anybody who thinks you are don't worry. Karma's a bitch and she will she will get them. And uh, take your life day by day, minute by minute, hour by hour, have on, do shit that makes you happy, do stuff that makes you smile, and just lean with a rock. With it, we get one of these things called life. And I can guarantee you that this thing blows by real fast, because if you ask me, February was yesterday, and now somehow April fifth, the big day that Karma is coming out. My whole life for the last two months has revolved around April fifth, and now the day has come and gone and I will never see it again.
Speaker 3: And so I'm like, shit, now what do I do? Go to the sperm bank and get Freddy, Eddie and Teddy. I'm kidding. I'm not kidding at all. Oh my god, my fucking honestly, Okay, I got one more thing I want to talk about.
Speaker 2: My high of the iHeartRadio Music Awards is that the two things people cared about with me on the carpet were this fucking alf that you're wearing, what is it?
Speaker 3: What is your song? YadA YadA YadA, And so Freddy, Eddie.
Speaker 2: And Teddy, Oh my god, people really, really, really, what can I say? They already love Freddy, Eddie and Teddy. It just it cracks me up. Anyone that does know Freddy, Eddie, and Teddy are the names of my future children.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 2: I have three babies, baby girl, two twin boys, Eddie and Teddy. Freddie is the baby girl. Some people have come.
Speaker 3: At me for their rhyming names.
Speaker 2: If they hate their rhyming names one day and that's what they get bullied for, Like, honestly, you're welcome.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be so happy.
Speaker 2: Like if the thing you get bullied for is your name, like you're welcome. But if they get annoyed about it, they can go by their middle name. We got Freddie, j Eddie, Anthony, Teddy, Tyler, so they can. They can maneuver however they want to. But yeah, that that is what people cared about. And I was like, all right, Freddie, Eddie and Teddy already making appearances in the world and they are not even here yet. Oh God, wait till they are here. I cannot wait. I love you all, Thank you guys so much for listening, and I will see you next week when we talk about what's next in my life. On Joe Jasey one Now deoces.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for listening, everybody.
Speaker 1: Be sure to follow us on Instagram and TikTok at Jojosa Now Podcast.
Speaker 3: Be sure to write us.
Speaker 1: A review and maybe if you feel goanna leave us five stars. I'll see you next week.