Speaker 1: Welcome back to she Pivots. I'm a Mendaklutes.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to she Pivots, the podcast where women share bold career moves and personal turning points that changed everything. I'm your host, Emily Tish Sussman. Today's guest has had many pivots. She's been a radio city roquette, a Broadway performer, and a fitness entrepreneur, then a New York Times bestselling author, a daytime TV host, and now the founder of a wellness brand called Proper. And she's been many of those things at the same time. Almost every professional turn she made started somewhere personal. A divorce, a new marriage, a move across the country, as well as a sudden personal loss that reshaped everything for her and sparked a nationwide conversational shift. In twenty twenty, she lost her husband, beloved Broadway star Nick Cordero to COVID, a loss that for a lot of us shifted how we saw the realities of the pandemic at the time. Amanda has never kept her personal life and her professional life in separate lanes. She chronicled nickstory publicly, and it changed how she viewed her own work and impact. She carried her joy and her grief with her into every next step. She took writing her next chapters her own way. This is Amanda Clutes, and this is how she pivots. What is your name and what do you do?
Speaker 1: Amanda Klutes? I'm a TV host, I'm a dancer, I'm a fitness business entrepreneur, trainer, I'm a brand owner. I'm a mom. I'm a writer, I'm a producer. I'm an actress.
Speaker 2: So we're going to go all the way back. You grew up in Ohio. Tell us about your childhood. Tell us about your family.
Speaker 1: Well, there's five of us actually, so there's one boy and four girls, and so there's five kids. Gosh, you know, Emily, I had the best childhood. I'm so lucky. I grew up in Canton, Ohio. It's like this small little town in Canton, but you know, it had a lot going on. The Football Hall of Fame, is there true? Like Midwest childhood, riding bikes everywhere, you know, down to Dairy Queen. My elementary school was down the street. We played tennis on summer nights as a family and played in the backyard and grew up playing in the munth spent a lot of time with my grandparents and church every Sunday. It wasn't even an option. A lot of family time, family dinner every single night, six pm. My dad would walk through the door after working at the insurance company. My mom was a stay at home mom. She raised us all and she'd had dinner on the table and then it was our job to do the dishes that night. We fought as kids, but it was always understood that we are each other's best friends. And because I think there were so many of us, we always played with each other and vacationed with each other. You know, we didn't bring other people along. And it was a situation where if my brother had a band concert, we all were there. It wasn't like I could go to Lauren's house instead. No, no, no, no no. We came to the band concert. We supported each other. It was an amazing way to grow up. I'm so grateful for it, especially now being a mother. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world.
Speaker 2: When did performing enter the equation for you?
Speaker 1: I was in fourth grade, so the elementary school I went to stopped at third grade, and so for fourth grade you had changed schools. My brother and my three sisters at the time had all gone to this Magnet Art school. I got to go to it too, and it was the first time that I took dance, art, drama, and piano. They were electives that you had to take your first year there, and then you chose which ones you kind of wanted to allocate more time to. I took a dance class and fell in love with dancing. I was ten years old. I had never taken a dance class before then, and you would think, like growing up with all girls, we were all in ballet at you know, two years old, but it was not the case. And so I fell in love with dance and I was asked to be a part of the high school musical at the time. It was Fiddler on the Roof and they needed to have children to round out the cast because Fiddler on the Roof is all about family. You would have thought I was picked to go on the Broadway stage. I was so excited to be a part of this high school musical production, a Fiddler on the Roof and it was jess rehearsal. We were in our costumes and I did the choreography, which was raising my arms up to saying tradition, and this wave of energy fled over my body and I was like, I'm done. This is what I want to do for the rest of my life. I just knew it. So then I just was like blinders on Broadway, Broadway, Broadway.
Speaker 2: So from the beginning was it like this isn't just fun for me, but like we're all in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much. I started doing dance competitions and focusing on dance, and then I became a member of the ballet company in Canton, and I was just like, really like dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, but I just loved performing. Then in high school fell in love with singing and performing in the musicals, and I just was like this, this is what I want to do. I just knew at a young age I want to do this. I want to be a rocket, and that's what I want to do.
Speaker 2: Did you always want to be a rocket? And what was your favorite role in high school?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: My favorite role was Adelaide in Guys and Dolls. I still to this day if I ever got a chance to do that role like professionally, I would take it in a heartbeat. And then rockets came in because my dad took us to Radio City Music Hall to see the Easter Show, went on a backstage tour. I just thought they were the coolest group of women dancing on a stage, and I was like, well, I want to do that too.
Speaker 2: Was your family supportive of you going into the arts as a profession.
Speaker 1: Yes and no. My brother and my sisters had all graduated high school and went to four year universities in Ohio, Miami University, in Ohio University. So when I suggested that I wanted to go to a musical theater conservatory that did not equal a college degree, my mom and dad did have like a pause. They let me audition for all these schools. And I auditioned for a lot of universities too, like Michigan and Juilliard, these top schools where it is so competitive, you know, ten people they accept a year, sometimes less. It was the first time I had eye awakening as to what competition in this business was going to be. Like. I felt so depressed by it because I'll never forget I was at this audition for Cincinnati. I think Cincinnati was my first audition. Now, young seventeen year old Amanda, I was like, I'm from Ohio, Cincinnati down the street, like you know, for hours away. I'm totally going to get in this school.
Speaker 2: This is great, Like I was like, they're gonna love me.
Speaker 1: They're gonna love me. I'm hometown girl and it's the number one musical theater school and it's in my date. I prepare my things that I have to do. The dance auditions first. I nailed the dance audition that was never a problem. And I'm in line to sing and the woman in front of me goes in to sing, and I can hear. You know, you can hear. For all intents and purposes, this woman sounded like Sutton Foster.
Speaker 3: I was listening and slowly being like, I don't know if I can go in there and sing my song, which was an Adelaide song, because that's the song I did in my high school musical. So of course, I mean just wrong on every level, like of character. I would never be cast in like I should have never sang this song.
Speaker 1: I go in and sing and I'm completely like, wake up call, I don't sound like her, And I immediately just felt like.
Speaker 2: Awful, even though you were defeated, you still sang for them.
Speaker 1: I walked in the room and I sang, and you know, I did as best as I could. I walked in there already feeling like not good enough. That's never how you want to walk into an audition room ever, you know what I mean? Any room anywhere, no anywhere, any room anywhere, very good point. I go home, I go to my choir directors and I cry in their office and I'm like this, I'm never going to be able to do this. Guys like I can't sing, like these people like, I'm never going to make it. Still, to this day, I give them so much credit. They were like, Amanda, you can absolutely do this and don't let that defeat you. And we're going to help you and we're going to work on this and you're going to feel so much better all your auditions. And they convinced my mom and dad to let me go to AMDA in New York City because they were like, she's got it, She's gonna do it. And my mom and dad were like, Okay, you know, these two years equal to four years that your brother and sisters had at college, so we'll pay for it. But if after two years you're not going to have a college degree, you'll have been studying dance and music and singing in drama and good luck, you know. And it be basically like you'll be on your own and no degree. And I was like, let's do it.
Speaker 2: So Amanda makes it to New York City to pursue her dreams. She's eighteen, in an unfamiliar place, with no friends and a lot to prove coming up. The tap combo she drilled behind the bathroom door every night, the life changing phone call that came while she was in a dressing room, and a love story that starts backstage. We'll get there right after the break went to Anda. You moved to New York City at eighteen? What was that? Culture shock? Like?
Speaker 1: I had no friends for some reason, I didn't mind it. I think I just loved being in the city and I was living on the Upper West Side. The dorm was this weird hotel with a lot of old people in it. I was such a fish out of water for all intents and purposes. It was such a shock. I learned very very quickly how to survive in a good way and in a bad way. It was a lot, but I really didn't have any friends, which in a way was good because I was like laser focused on what I had to do. I just was just like, I'm here for purpose. It's not to go club in, It's to learn lines and affect my dancing and singing. And that's what I cared about.
Speaker 2: Did you start auditioning for Broadway right away when you were in school or did you wait the two years?
Speaker 1: No, you know, I'm a good rule follower or I used to be, and you couldn't audition till your fourth semester at school. I think I cheated and like went on a few when I was in my third semester, but I pretty much was like, well, no, I mean I won't be ready until my fourth semester, so I have to wait. But I yes, I started auditioning, and what a great learning experience. I was auditioning for you know, non equity, which is the Actors' Union. Until you're part of the union, you kind of you know, have to really just go for those non equity jobs. And I just remember doing my monologues from school and just you know, putting myself out there for anything and nothing, no jobs. But I was still in school, so I was like, it's fine, you know what I mean, Like I wasn't trying necessarily to get anything right away?
Speaker 2: How did you support yourself through it before acting became like the job that was paying the bills.
Speaker 1: I was in a coffee shop and I'm waiting in line, and this man in front of me has this adorable little girl, and I love kids, big family, and I was like, oh my gosh, your daughter's so cute. I was like, she's such a good How old is she? We become instant friends. I say to him, you know, as we're getting our coffee. So I'm like, well, you know, I'm so sorry that I live right around the corner if you ever need a babysitter, Like, I'm going to school here, I'm from Ohio. My family has five kids. I grew up around babies. I love babysitting. He was like, there's five kids in my family. He's like, let me get your number. He's like, I'll give it to my wife and she'll give you a call. Luckily she did. They lived across the street from me, and I basically became part of their family, and I babysat their daughter almost every day because, you know, now, being a mother, I'm like, oh my god, she won the jetpot. I was across the street, Ohio, eighteen year old, huge family, going to school. I was at her Beck and Call and she was the nicest. There's still my great friends. She was so wonderful to me, bring your laundry. She would cook for me. It was heaven. It was God sent me the two of them and that little baby, and it saved me. And that's how I made any money to survive.
Speaker 2: Like community and family. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: My friends would be going to the club and they'd be doing ski trips and I thought they were actually skiing. No, they were doing cocaine. That's how great eye was. I was like, you're going skiing every weekend? Where are you guys going? I was like, so just and I would go over there and babysit.
Speaker 2: Through this period where you're like auditioning and not getting it and auditioning and not getting it, Like how did you keep going through all the rejections? Like what did you learn about yourself?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: My gosh, you know nothing. At first, I was I was too young, you know what I mean. I just I didn't understand how to learn from these auditions. The first time I remember fully grasping that was the audition for forty second Street. So forty second Street was the hit Broadway revival playing on forty second Street, and I would go and sit in the front row because you could get twenty dollars student tickets in the front row. And so I saw it like ten times, and they were auditioning for replacements. It was like an open call. I was still non equity and I waited, I think probably three or four hours to be seen. And I was seen and cut right away from the first tap little combo that you have to do alone. You have to do this tap combo alone. It's like a you know, way to vet people out. I was terrible. Tap was not my strong suit, and I got cut, but I learned. I was like, this is something I need to perfect in order to get kept for the next time. I go in for forty second Street. And I knew there would be next time because they have six month calls. Every six months. The show was huge. There was a huge cast of women, so they're constantly needing replacements, and it was a show I could do. It was a show I watched and I was like, I could be her. I could be her. I could be her. So I knew that. It was like, Okay, I now understand what I need to do in order to do better the next time I come to this audition. I'm not even kidding you, Emily. I worked on my tap like it was my job. I was putting myself in every kind of tap class, extra class, And every night before I went to bed, I would close the bathroom door, put my tap shoes on, and go over that combo that is the first cut of forty second Street. And when the audition came up again, I went in and not only did I perfect that first call, but they called me back for the national tour. And I booked the national tour two days before I graduated.
Speaker 2: Anda, Oh my god, did they just feel like the greatest, like the not just a sense of accomplishment, but like you'd made it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I will never fear that I was in. Do you remember this tour Strawberry? Oh? Yeah, in New York City. I was in the dressing room of Strawberry. My phone goes off and I'm like weaseling myself out of some top because you know, all those clothes there were, so it's like, you know, nothing fits. I'm like hello, She's like as Samanda. It was like this British casting decor. I was like, yes, She's like, I'd love to offer you a position in the four to second Street National Tour and I was like, you know, I'm so bad as top. My older sister, who lived in New York was working at the Waldorf Astoria. I ran from Strawberry to the Waldorf, surprised her at work, told her the biggest news, and I was like.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go get a Venti caramel mochiato with extra caramel and extra cream at a black and white cookie and she was like, you should. That's how I celebrated my big job. I was a static. I was a static.
Speaker 2: Did the rehearsal and the show end up being what you'd wanted it to be? Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. The contract for this tour was the first time they ever did this tier D contract for equity shows. It sounds exactly like it was Tier D no money. So the great thing about it was is that everyone in the cast was also around my age. Because the only people that could accept to your D were twenty year olds who had no responsibilities and no apartments and no life. So we were all on tour together. And we had these week or two week stops. It was so fun. I remember the first payday. This stage manager was like, everybody, pick up your checks. You know, the checks are in the office. And I looked at my girlfriend and I go, Troy, we get paid. I didn't even care that I got paid. I forgot that I was getting paid. I mean, talk about just like the best. I get three hundred dollars a week.
Speaker 2: How long did you stay on the tour?
Speaker 1: For months? Yeah? Ten months? Because while I was on tour, a couple of the girls from in the show that had become my best friends had been roquettes. So the roquette audition I knew was in August, so starting in like mid June, I had my friends in the show. In between shows, because you know you have matinees and evening shows, I would have them teach me roquette combos and judge me while I would perform them in some sort of carpeted backroom lobby of the theater or whatever. So when the audition for Radio City came up, I had gone in when I was in school two times before and got caught for the national tour of the Rockets. But I had made it very, very far. I had never gone in for Radio City, the New York City Rockets. The audition came up, and I flew to New York from tour, got the days off and booked the job, got back to tour, and these are things you just never forget. But I there's a spot at Lax Airport that was exactly where I was when I got the call that I was going to be a Radio City Rocket. Every time I walk by it to Lax, I just I see like that little Amanda getting that phone call, Like it's just like ingrained in my brain. And so I left tour and started my rocket journey.
Speaker 2: Was it as glamorous as it looks? Like? What was the rocket journey?
Speaker 1: Okay? So the rocket journey is exactly as glamorous as it looks. I mean you get to go to Radio City Music Hall for work every day. I mean, it's magical. It's where we rehearsed too. They don't now, but at the time you got to walk into Radio City, you go through the backstage. Radio City is like such a maze. You go through all these weird hallways and then there's this grand rehearsal hall and I remembered it from when I was a little girl and my dad took us on the backstage tour of radio city music halls. So now I'm twenty one and I'm rehearsing there every day and it's all women, and it's such a hierarchy and it's such a At that time, it was such a like clicky, cool girl, new girl, rookie, We're going to put you through the ropes kind of thing. The girls that had been rockets forever were so gorgeous. They were like dripping in designer clothes, hair boobs, makeup, just like glamorous and did not give you the time of day if you were the newbie. It was fabulous. It was awful and fabulous all at the same time. I just remember trying so hard. It's a military there. You don't want to mess up, but they feed on that, you know. I mean, they can smell your fear. They put me through the ropes. And because I'm very tall, I was right in the center rocket. The tallest girls are in the center and it tails off to the shortest girls. It gives the illusion that we're all the same hype, but we're not. And so when you're in the center, all the focus is on you. And I was standing next to women who had been Rockets for five six years. So I got picked on a lot and in a lot of notes, and it consumed by brain. You know, I never felt like I was good enough where I could breathe, but I loved it all the same time.
Speaker 2: Both things can be true.
Speaker 1: Both things can be true. Yes, and any Rocket will say this. I have a group of twelve, maybe fourteen girls that we all met that first year of Rockets. I think they only hired twelve girls, so it's like the twelve hires that they hired that year, we are all still best friends twenty years later. I mean, it is such a sorority. I'm so grateful for it because they're just the best ladies. So you stayed with the Rockets for three years. But let's bring your personal life into this. Had you been in relationships as you were on the tour in the Rockets? No, No, My school, Amdo was a lot of gay men, so I didn't even care. I didn't even care in high school. I never really had boyfriends in high school, like I was just like on a mission. So yes, the first guy I dated actually was between Rockets and then the first Broadway show I did. I worked at MTV as an assistant casting director, and I started dating my boss and that was like my first boyfriend. And then when my first Broadway show started Good Vibrations, I met my ex husband, and so I dumped MTV boss and started dating my ex husband. Yeah, I love a showmance. I really love a showmans. It's bad because you know, you're working with somebody every single day, and talent, to me is very attractive. And I love the arts, and you know, arts people are very touchy feely and emotive and fun and funny, and you're just spending way too much time with people. And so I love a showmance.
Speaker 2: You were with your ex husband for a number of years but then ended up in Bullets over Broadway, Yes, where you met your late husband Nick. You were both performing in it. How did you know that you were ready to jump into another relationship, like another serious relationship so quickly?
Speaker 1: Oh my I wasn't and Nick was very much the person going you should not be dating me right now, like you just ended a seven year marriage, you actually are still ending it. And my personality is like, how dare you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: No? Like, if you tell me I can't do something, I'm gonna be like, oh no, I'm doing it tenfold. So every time he was like, you should be dating me. You just got out of a seven year relationship, like do date a ton of people have sex with a ton of people. And I was just like, no, that's not me. I want to date you. And he finally gave in and we started dating as my divorce was finalizing. It was a mess. Oh my god, it was such a mess. I mean the way that man listened to me, held me while I cried and sobbed and tried to understand why my marriage was ending and why it failed and who I was now. I thought my life was over at thirty two. You know, I thought I'd never get married again, I'd never have a baby. I'm on the old hag.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: My Broadway show had closed, so I had lost my job, so I had no job. My marriage was ending. I was a mess, and he was such a beautiful spirit and love and just the amount of times I'm not kidding you would like just hold me while I was sopping my eyes out over not my ex husband, but like the possibility of that future ending. You know, I do.
Speaker 2: Think that both things are true, Like it's two things that you grieve at the end of a relationship, Like it's the person, but then separately it's you, like it's the future that you thought that you weren't going to have with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one thousand percent. I really do think it's very similar to a death. That is such a loss. Divorce is I think it's so common now unfortunately, but like it is tough, especially like we didn't have children. But I can't even imagine what that's like. It's hard to grasp. It was a very, very tough time for me. Did you also have logistical issues like where to live? Like I feel like so many of New York relationships are dictated by people moving in together because lisas are timed to the right time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so true, it's so true. We should just live together. Does that makes sense? Well, yes, yes and no. So he was on tour with Book of Mormon, and so he was away and I was living in our apartment alone, and he had just started his tour, so he was by no means coming home anytime soon. So in a way it was good because I was able to stay in our apartment and figure everything out while he was away and on tour. And then eventually when I ended up leaving that apartment, I realized, Wow, Like when I remember the first time I stood in my little studio apartment on the Upper West Side, Oh my god, it was so cute, it was so perfect.
Speaker 1: It was exactly what I needed. I was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders, Like A didn't even realize how heavy being in that apartment was every day in this situation. So it was a great news start, but terrifying it was. I was paying, you know, two thousand dollars a month on my own, and I didn't have a job. I was teaching fitness and getting paid forty dollars an hour. It was terrifying.
Speaker 2: At this point, Amanda had already started teaching fitness classes and she loved it. But when her show closed and she lost her Broadway income, the classes she taught weren't enough to make ends meet as is, so she got creative. So you had started fitness by this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I started teaching fitness a couple years before then. My girlfriend was teaching at this studio called Body by Simone, and it was all like dance based fitness, and she was like, this is so fun. They were looking for more trainers. You should audition. I got the job and I started teaching fitness, but it was all like dance based fitness, so it felt like I was just like dancing every day and leading these women in dance combos, and I fell in love with it. I loved it. I always loved working out, so that was like normal, and I loved leading people and I loved the joy of moving. And it saved me through my divorce. Oh my god, I had no idea. That was the first time fitness clocked that it's mental health for me. It's not about what size I am. Before then, it was all about looking cute enough in my costumes, because Broadway costumes are next to nothing. I mean my first Broadway show, I was in a bikini the whole show, a bikini with no tights, no tights, a bikini on stage. So fitness was always how skinny can I be? And then I go through my divorce and I'm teaching fitness, and I realize how much fitness moving my body changes my mental health, my anxiety and my stress, and I was like, God, I've been getting this all wrong. It was such an IOP experience. So then when boths of were probably closed, I was still teaching it Body by Simone, but it wasn't enough, you know what I mean. Like I was killing myself teaching six hours a day, but it wasn't going to cut it. And I can't get unemployment if I'm teaching. You can't even bank on the four hundred dollars a week on unemployment because I was teaching fitness, but I needed fitness to have something to do. So it was like I was in this loop of like I either need an the performing job or I need to figure something out. I had an idea for a jump rope class and I pitched it to the owner Body by Simone and she was like, yeah, She's like I like this.
Speaker 2: I like this.
Speaker 1: I don't know like how we would do it, like you know, we might, we wouldn't be able to have a lot of people jumping rope and it was like a smaller studio. And she was like, but I like it. I like it, you know, work on it and see what you know you can come up with. I kept like kind of fine tuning it when I would train privately my private clients at the studio when the divorce was finalized and I was at an audition for Cats and I got cut and I came home and I was crying and Nick and I was like, so sad that I got cut from Cats, And he was like, what are you doing. You're a CEO. You have an idea. Start your own business. Stop auditioning for Broadway shows. You've done it, You've done everything. You've done tours, you've replaced people, you've originated shows, You've done it. Start your own business. So I listened to him left Body by Simone, and I fine tuned this jump rope class. I launched Amanda Flut's Fitness and the AK Jump Rope Class in April of twenty sixteen. I loved my idea and I knew it was special. It was super unique, and it was at the height of boutique fitness. The gyms were failing, and soul cycles and flywheels and Physique fifty seven was where it's at. I knew I had, like this great, cool idea. I had such a following from Body by Simone. I was like, I'm gonna be amazing. I'm like, everyone's gonna love this jump rope idea. I'm teaching seven am on a mon. Everybody's gonna come because they're going to want to start their week off at seven am with me jump roping. Nobody came, Nobody cared.
Speaker 2: Did really nobody comes to that first class when you first opened.
Speaker 1: No, the first class, first class people came. Second class. Nobody came. There were no showers at this gym, so you couldn't go right to work, which is such a New York City thing, you know what I mean. But there was no shower. Nobody came, and I would come home and I'd be crying to Nick, like I don't understand. I have a great idea. Nobody's coming. They're going to fire me at this studio, Like, no, my idea is good. So I just started faking all these Instagram posts and putting up like this is what we did in class today. It was amazing. Thanks for showing up, everybody. I'm going to show you what we did because I couldn't record it while I was teaching. I mean, just like making everything up. I had borrowed money from the people that I babysat from. They gave me money to kind of start my business. So I borrowed money from them and paid for a PUBLICI to get the word out of this jump rope class, and the publicist kicked ass and slowly, slowly, slowly, like eight months later, I had people in class with waitless and the jump rope workout was taking off.
Speaker 2: That is wild. What do you think the publicists did that worked?
Speaker 1: She had me train all these editors of magazines. So I literally was giving all these editors this jump rope class, and one by one they started like writing little bits on me. It was such the beginning of like Instagram and blogs. And at the time I was like, who are these people? Like I don't even know, and they're like, just trust me. And then they got me a spread in Cosmopolitan magazine and I thought this is amazing. I mean I grew up reading Cosmo, so I was like, this is the coolest thing ever. Just slowly it just started picking up, and she kicked.
Speaker 2: Us, We've met all the editors, We've sold out the class. It's taking off. So this is like twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen. Like so when you launched the digital fitness brand in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I had had videos that I filmed. It was like back in the day, you know, you had to like digitally download them. They weren't like vhs or DVDs or anything. And then in twenty twenty, I knew I wanted to start an app, but I felt like it had to just be perfect, you know. I felt like I had to have the perfect outfits, and I had my body had to be perfect, and I had to have perfect lighting and microphones and songs and idea and money. And then COVID hit and nobody wanted perfection. I was already doing this on Instagram lives with my good friend Ami Song. I was teaching her while people were, you know, in the early early days of COVID, even before my husband went into the ICU, we were doing twenty minute workouts like everybody was, you know, everybody was doing anything they could online to just you know, be kind when people were giving like painting lessons and cooking lessons, and so I was like, I'll do it Instagram Live workouts with Ami, and I just started realizing, oh, I can just like start putting this on my website and like just just start filming in my backyard. It doesn't need to be anything more than that. And so that's kind of how I started my app and so to this day, some of those videos still get the most views. Just like me in my Backyard. It just goes to show you we get in our own way because we feel like we have to be this perfect version of ourselves to start something. And it's like people don't want perfection. Sometimes they do, and sometimes you need it, but like also sometimes they don't, you know, and sometimes it's refreshing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's bring the personal back into this. How quickly did you and Nick get married? Were you ready to marry again? How quickly did you have your son?
Speaker 1: We dated for three years. Once we finally like figured it out, it was after we had taken a big break where I really thought like we were not getting back together. But then his father got sick, and in starting to lose his father, he kind of I've really realized what was important in his life. We got back together, We got engaged pretty quickly, got married within seven months, and then a year later had Elvis. So then that was sort of like boom boom boom. It was wonderful and he was still performing. We had Elvis in New York City, but Nick was like dead set on moving us to California because he wanted to really focus on a music career, which at the time I was not supportive of. I was like, everyone that knows you and wants to hire you is in New York City, which had our first baby. My parents live across the hall. My fitness business is here. That is what I do at the time, that is all I did. I ran my fitness company. So I was like, you're moving us to California. I don't have a following there, you don't know any people in casting there, and we have no family there. And he was like, we're going to California, did you actually go? At that point, we compromised, and after Elvis was born three months later, we moved to California. He had a job performing in Rock of Ages, which was a Broadway show he did that was going to be here in Hollywood Boulevard, and he was getting paid seven hundred and fifty dollars a week, and he convinced me that that was enough to survive. I had just got back into teaching because I had a C section with Elvis, so I was like just getting back into fitness and being a mom for the first time. I was completely overwhelmed. I had always had good success when I would come to LA and teach fitness classes and again, Emily, I show up and I'm thinking, Okay, here we go, LA, let's go. Nobody showed up, nobody cared. I would teach class and no one would come. It was devastating because I wasn't twenty eight anymore. I was now thirty seven and I was a mom, and I didn't have the energy to fake it till I make it again, you know what I mean. I was just like, I don't have the capacity I teach at eight am. If you don't show up, I'm now breastfeeding myself. And it was just devastating. I could not get anyone to come to class. I couldn't even get my friends in LA to come. Getting anyone to go anywhere in LA is I've now learned a struggle.
Speaker 2: Did you just think that you were done? Like, were you ready to give up? No?
Speaker 1: Because unfortunately that's not my personality. I just started teaching a lot of privates to make any money I could. That was also shock because I was making a lot of money teaching privates in New York City because people in New York City will pay a lot of money for a private session in la They won't. Oh yes, So I was making half the amount of money teaching a private session. I was doing as many as I could to like just offer any kind of assistance to our financial situation at the time. And I just kept teaching and kept teaching and kept advertising, and by February of twenty twenty, my classes were finally like full here. But full here is like fifteen people. But it felt good because I finally had people coming to class February of twenty twenty, just as approached in March.
Speaker 2: Yeah, perfect timing, and the world shut down. It's February twenty twenty. Amanda's classes in la are finally filling up. She's a wife, a new mom, a business owner who clawed her way back one private session at a time, and then the world shut down. In a minute, we'll talk about the ninety five days that changed Amanda's world in Instagram Live that turned into an army of strangers, and the way grief cracked her life open into something none of us could have anticipated. Be right back, So can you talk us through these next couple of months.
Speaker 1: So we were living in Laurel Canyon at the time, of my friend's guest house and the world shuts down. So Nick's show stops, and I of course stopped teaching. We're at my friend's guest home. It's my birthday, March nineteenth, the California state you know, goes in to stay at home. We are just like, oh my gosh, this is like crazy and wild. And that night is when he first started feeling weird, and he was like, I'm tired, and he just wanted to go to sleep. So I was like, fine, you know, we can go to sleep. What are we going to do anyways, Like there's nothing to do. I ate my birthday cake. He went to bed and I followed in line. And the next couple of weeks is when he slowly started getting a little bit more sick. Every day he was sleeping all the time, just sleeping, sleeping, sleeping, which was not a symptom of COVID. We didn't think he had COVID. I thought he was just depressed because his show had closed and the world had stopped. Nick could get in depression like easily, like if things weren't going his way or he felt stuck, he would kind of just get into a little depressive mode. So I just thought he was depressed. It wasn't until like his breathing got very labored and he was coughing that we took him to the emergency room and then he got admitted into the emergency room, and then three COVID tests later, got a positive COVID result and was admitted into the ICU started his battle with COVID, and then then my world stopped. Of course, it just became caretaker and wife and mother and I was just, you know, trying to keep everything together and my husband alife.
Speaker 2: I remember you already had a following at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a nice small following from my fitness because I had been training a really like big influencer in New York City. Because of that, my Instagram following really kind of blossomed. I think I had like fifty thousand followers, which I thought was like, again, just like I I'm always like wow, I'm just like I'm amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you decide from the beginning to be chronicling the journey or just sort of happened as you were going?
Speaker 1: Not right away. When I first took Nick into the hospital, I wasn't saying very much, but I was still going online with Ami Song teaching these fitness classes. But then like, my husband was in the ICU, and so after like day three of the ICU, it was the first time I went on Instagram Live and I said, hey, guys, just FOYI. My husband's in the ICU. He's forty one years old. We don't understand how he got COVID or why he got COVID, and he had no symptoms of COVID, but he has it, and this is what is happening over here. And I did it for two reasons. I felt like I was kind of leading a double life being, you know, this bubbly fitness instructor Monday, Wednesday, Friday teaching Amy and then I turned the camera off and'd be like this concerned wife. And then also because I was like, this is weird. He's forty one, he's perfectly healthy, and he's in the ICU right now. So if anyone else is lying around their house sleeping, maybe you should get tested for COVID. I did it for those two reasons, and then it just blew up. Emily, it just blew up. How did that feel to you that it blew up? I mean it was fuel I felt like I was all alone. I was all alone with a baby. Elvis was ten months old. I was in the height of sleep training and trying to be a mom. And you know, when your son's ten ten months old, you're not talking to anyone. He can't talk back to you. So I was like alone in a cabin. My friends weren't even coming to talk to me because they were scared to be around me. Because Nick was in the ICU.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I was a COVID risk, you know, I was all alone. So as soon as this like internet community started building, it was like a refuge. I just would go on my stories though I wasn't even doing lives yet. I was just going on my stories and talking that. The response and the support that was flooding in was insane, and I felt like I had friends.
Speaker 2: When did you realize that he wouldn't be getting better?
Speaker 1: April tenth, twenty twenty. He was supposed to get taken off the ventilator that morning and be sent to rehab and be home in they said four to five days. And the phone rings and they go Amanda, Nick spike to fever and he died for two minutes and re resuscitated. Him and we want to put him on EKMO, so we need your consent. It will run his heart and lungs for the next three days. His life is minute to minute. And I was like, what just happened? And that was the first time that I was like, this isn't going going like I just I mean, I fell to the floor sobbing. I couldn't I couldn't breathe. Till to this day, I don't even remember where Elvis was, like, I just I just remember falling and crying and screaming into the phone when I called my mom and dad.
Speaker 2: M and then you were You were finally able to go into the ICU, into the hospital finally.
Speaker 1: The first day they let me in was because they were amputating his right life and they didn't think that he would make it through the surgery. He was so weak, he was in a medically induced coma. He had a blood clot that was basically killing his right leg. And they brought me in to sign papers that if he died during the amputation, that I consented to it. So I got to go into the hospital only for that reason. But they let me sit outside of his room and look at him through.
Speaker 2: A glass door.
Speaker 1: I was in full ppe outside of a glass door and hyperventilating as I was like signing his death papers, basically saying goodbye, because I really didn't know if he would make it. You know, there was going to be a three hour surgery and it was literally like fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: I didn't know you then, but I remember his passing was a cultural shift in the country because up until that point, people felt like you had to be really sick, you had to be really old to actually get sick, and you were so transparent and explaining step by step. And the fact that he was young and healthy and active and didn't have what aids that were the symptoms. It felt like his passing was the moment that people started to take it seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think no one expected him to die, including me, and I was watching him die every day for ninety five days. It didn't clue into me that I was because I was so positive. It was like, there's no way he's going to die. Even though he was literally being run by machines and everything was breaking down in his body. I still was like, no, he's going to make it. He's going to make it. Yeah, when he died. I felt like I lost the war, you know what I mean. And maybe that's kind of how everybody else felt too, maybe like it was just was such a shock that he didn't survive. You know, I had such an army. I'm forever grateful. I had such an army of people that were singing with me and praying with me every single day. I mean, it still shocks me. That was a hard day and a hard thing to admit to myself and to the world that he didn't it. But like I failed, you know what I mean, Like I felt like I failed, which is weird, but I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at that point, had you at least had people like could you physically be around people or you still had to be quarantined because there was so much unknown about COVID.
Speaker 1: Luckily, a lot of my family members had slowly come to California quarantined, and then we all started to live together in this house that we were renting to all be together, including Nick's mother, who had also been able to come here from Canada. So luckily we were all together, which also saved me because I had so much help with Elvis and then you know, his mother of course, instead of being alone was with us too, so that was helpful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've said that seeing Nick and the ICU transformed how you think about fitness and movement. Can you explain that shift one hundred percent?
Speaker 1: So think about cold, rainy day and you're in your house and you're like, ugh, I have to go to the gym, and they're like, oh, I have to get my leggings on. I brought up on put a raincoat on, walk there so tired, I could just sit on the couch. I get that, you know what I mean? Like that, I get it. I would be sitting next to Nick, and the most he could ever do once he woke up from his coma was move his eyeballs up, down, left and right. On a good day, I would ask him a question, look up if you can hear me, and he would slowly look up, but he could barely even open his eyes. He couldn't squeeze my hand nothing, And I thought to myself, I will never again take for granted the ability to stand on my two feet and to go for a walk, to run, to jump, to dance, to move my body like this man would kill to be able to squeeze my hand in order for him to live. He has to be strong enough to sit up because his bed sores are so horrible they have to heal before he could even go under the knife to get a double lung transplant, which is what he would need in order to survive. But he can't even do that until he has the ability to sit up so that his bed source can heal. I get to sit up every day. I take it for granted. It changed my whole fitness approach.
Speaker 2: What did it look like coming through in your fitness when it changed your approach?
Speaker 1: I start every fitness class I teacha with you, guys. This is such a privilege. It is a privilege to be standing here right now taking this class. It is a privilege to move your body. Don't take it for granted. Anytime you are thinking of moving, walking, going anywhere, it is a privilege. Work out with that mentality every single time. It will completely change every workout you do.
Speaker 2: And how did you change or continue your business at this point having gone through this unimaginable loss and still it really hard toime I'm in the country.
Speaker 1: Well, like I said, fitness to me is mental health, right. So I was leaving the ICU because I was only allowed to be there, you know, on days that they said I could be for an hour or two, however long they you know, they were. Every day was a different story. It was a wild, wild West. And every day I would call and a lot of times I would get shut down, and a lot of times they'd say, we'll think about it and we'll call you back.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It was like a craziness. But I would jump rope every day. I would get online and I'd jump rope live and I would say, you know, jump, jump with me, join with me. We would jump to Nick's music, you know, trying to give him energy. And then I would film videos in the driveway of where I was staying and I'd put it up on my app. It was the only way any money was coming at Emily, like I had, you know, my app was I think like fourteen ninety nine a month. That was my only income. My husband was in the ICU. I had no money, that was it. So I would like it was my That's all I could do was just go film, you know, any kind of workout in the backyard, put it up on my app. So I was doing that to help myself mentally, exert stress and anxiety, but also make money because I had a little baby. Yeah, and I had no idea what my future.
Speaker 2: Was going to be after he passed. How quickly were you able to get back? I mean it's so you dependent, Like that's really hard, Like it's hard to give yourself a grieving break, like a bereavement essentially in that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I didn't, you know what I mean, Like, I it's funny. I remember two things in a way, Thank God for COVID. It was a fog for everybody, Like we were all stuck in our homes and nobody was going anywhere or doing anything. So I felt safety in that, do you know what I mean? I didn't feel pressure to like I should be doing something or everybody else is out having fun. I felt comforted in the world's misery of being stuck. So that was very nice. And so in the beginning, no, I was just I was kind of in a daze and again posting videos you know, knew new video, like two weeks after Nick died, and people being like, I can't believe she's smiling and happy in posting workout videos two weeks after her husband died, And I'd be like, Okay, do you want to know that twenty other three hours in my day are sobbing to my mom, my dad, my parents, to anyone, trying to not hypoventilate. Like the only solace of my day is this twenty minutes while I'm putting music on and working out and smiling, like, give me a break, people, I still had to provide. And I've been that way my entire life, since i was eighteen years old living in New York City, I've had to provide for myself, take care of myself. I'm a hustler, so I cat partmentalize, you know. Okay, now I'm making money. Now I'm crying. Now I'm creating. Now I'm crying. Like it was just that's just how I survived.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you hosted the talk for three years, that built and built, and then you ended up posting the Talk for three years pretty quickly. So, I mean it had to be an incredibly raw period of your life. What did that job provide for you at that time?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, everything? It was. First of all, it was the first consistent job I've ever had in my entire life, Unlike a Broadway show was not going anywhere. I was like this is insane. They had seen everything that happened with me with COVID and my online presence, and they asked me to test for the show. They had an opening spot because Marie Osmond was leaving, and I tested eleven times and then they offered me the job like right before Thanksgiving, and I started in January of twenty twenty one. I was four months into my grieving process. It saved me, though, because it gave me a place to go every day, gave me people to talk to every day. I got to laugh every day, I got to get dressed every day and feel pretty. And for all intents and purposes, it was a Broadway show. Just during the morning hour. I put my costume on, I got my hair and makeup done, and I went out to a live audience. I did a show, and so it felt very normal to me, Like a lot of people were like, oh my gosh, you know, you're just doing this new thing, and I was like, I am. But it also just feels like I'm doing a Broadway show in a new way. And it was wonderful and hard at the same time, because I was I was still grieving heavily. I don't really know how I was able to do that. To be honest, I do remember crying a lot on live television a lot, but I also didn't care. I felt like, why not just be me? But it was it was tough, but it was also a blessing. I had a family when I didn't have one, and a place to go and it was eight minutes down the street, and then the rest of the day I got to spend with all this, So it was you know, it was perfect.
Speaker 2: We're coming into our closing questions. There's still so much more that I could ask you about, like a million more pivots, So I wanted to just kind of like open the floor to you to say, you know, what have we not talked about so far? What do you want to make sure that we talk about? What do you work by now? You know?
Speaker 1: Right now I have a new company called Proper And you know, honestly, it's so funny, like how your podcast. It's it's so true, like the things that we start early on in life and then and then it comes back around. So you know, fitness and wellness have meant the world to me. It was my first you know, entrepreneurship, and then I started this supplement company a little like a year and a half ago, and it's all about making supplements easy and affordable for busy lifestyles. I realized, I think, after everything that I've been through, how wellness and we get one body. What we put into our body matters. You know, we take it, Like I said, for granted, we think we have you know, multiple versions of ourselves. We don't. I saw it happen. Our health is important. After years of influencing other products and supporting other people's brands, I was like, I want to create a supplement company that is for my mom, my sister, that busy woman who spends most of her day in our car driving around our kids, eating fast food, that just needs to fill her water bottle up. I mean, I am in right here with a great juice that tastes good, that looks appetizing, doesn't look like swamp water, and that she can afford. And so I started Proper. I'm very very proud of it, and it's a year and a half old. I love again. I love creating anything that helps people feel better about their day, or themselves or their bodies. So I'm very very proud of Proper and I'm still just you know, hosting and acting and writing and all the different things, voiceovering everything. But you know what, I will tell you one thing I learned about pivoting is I actually don't think it's a pivot. It's an enhancement. I think we use what we learn and then just enhance it in different directions. Because my fitness business felt like a huge pivot to me, but it was still performing. I just used what I had been doing performing and then took it into a new outlet. And then my fitness with Proper, I just enhanced it. I just opened it up into enhance it into a new outlet. And so I just feel like, you know, pivoting sometimes can be such a strong word for somebody like oh god, I'm going to make this big pivot. Think of it as an enhancement. You're just enhancing what you already know into a different direction, and you're going to bring all that wisdom that you learned and just bring it now into something new. And it's just going to enhance nothing. We never say goodbye to what we've done. It always trickles in somehow, you know what I mean, Like it trickles.
Speaker 2: What is something that you at the time, it could be something we've discussed, could be something different, but at the time you saw it as a real low point, and now you see it as having really set you up to build you to the success you are today.
Speaker 1: I would say my divorce, I thought my life was over. I thought I didn't know what I what to do. I had been cheated on, so I felt really bad about myself and I didn't have any self confidence. Like I said, I was lost in every direction. And then it helped me choose me and it helped me create my fitness business. And I don't think I would have ever done any of that if I would have stayed in that marriage. And I think that low point in my life created a whole new life for myself that is still a part of me today. I was just teaching fitness at this resort here near Santa Barbara over the weekend, and I thought to myself, because I celebrated ten years of my fitness company this past weekend, and I was writing like the Instagram post Emily, and I was like, I never would have thought ten years ago when I started this company that I would still be teaching, but I'd be hired by these gorgeous hotel brands to come and teach for the weekend, and I would get to go for that weekend with my son, teach my hour class, and then get to spend every single hour after that just bonding and connecting with my son in this beautiful environment. What aloe lessing, Oh my god. And that's all from that life change, that low point, that start of that company. It's like, it's so beautiful what life brings you and where it takes you and how it still is a part of your life. So that low point I'm very grateful for.
Speaker 2: So generally I ask people at this point, do you think you'll pivot again? But I guess in your case, it's do you think you'll enhance again?
Speaker 1: Enhance again? I hope. So I love enhancing my life. I hate being pigeonholed, and I know I kind of am in Hollywood. I think people think of me as a TV host, and that's okay. I love TV hosting. I love it. But I love proving people wrong and I love proving that I can do other things, and I love being a multi hyphen it and I know I'm good at it. So I will keep I'll keep enhancing I don't think I'll over stop.
Speaker 2: Never stop. Is there anything up on the vision board right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, can you tell us.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm in the midst of writing another book with my sister, which I'm having a really fun time dooing. It's a rom com fiction book that, as you said, my personal life very much bleeds into my professional so it's almost nearly impossible for me to separate them. I'm also working on a documentary idea that I would love to make happen, a like a very real, raw documentary about an important topic we can I'll tell you later. Don't want to give that away right now. And some producing projects so we'll see.
Speaker 2: Oh. I love that.
Speaker 1: Those are the vision boards. So they're up there, and I am very vision board believer. Manifestor write things down, believe that they're going to happen, put it out into the universe, pretend they already happened, all the things.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for coming on, A man, it's been amazing to have you on.
Speaker 1: It's so nice to meet you. I really like you.
Speaker 2: I know, I really like you too.
Speaker 1: I hope you've come to New York.
Speaker 2: Sometimes Amanda thinks of her pivots as enhancements. Everything you experience can be an opportunity to help build you towards the next stage of your life. She says, we never say goodbye to what we've done. It always trickles in somehow. Amanda's life and career is a testament to the idea that each pivot or enhancement pushes you forward. The dancer became a fitness instructor, the instructor became a founder. Every version of her carries the last one, the discipline, the creativity, the lessons, the grief. Nothing got left behind, even the most personal parts. She calls her divorce the low point that she is most grateful for. It gave her the push to choose herself and to build the business that's still standing ten years later. Today, Amanda is launching her own podcast, and you could see her in the new Netflix show Let's Mary Harry, which also drops today. See you next Wednesday. Thanks for listening to she Pivots. If you like this episode, follow the show so you never miss a pivot story and share it with one woman in your life who might need to hear it. To learn more about our guests and join our community, follow us on Instagram at she pivots the podcast our subscribe to our substack for exclusive content and behind the scenes conversations. You can also find us at shepivotspod dot com. This episode was produced and edited by Paige Davis Janatt, with sound editing and mixing by Nina Pollock. Logistics and planning by Amostopic and Kendall Crupkin. Research by Christine Dickinson. She Pivots is proud to be a part of the iHeart podcast Network.
Speaker 1: I endorse Cheap Pivots