Speaker 1: What's up, everybody. Welcome back to another episode of Buco Territory presented to you bye the Foul Territory Network. I'm Noah Hiles. Joining me as always is my good pal Platinum Key aka Mark Josh Harrison. Still on vacation, he'll be back later this week, and we've got a lot to talk about. The Pirates go three and three on their six game homestand in Pittsburgh they take two of three from the Seattle Mariners. They lose two of three, but avoid a sweep with a win on Sunday over the Cincinnati Reds. We're gonna talk about that. How they still stay at five hundred. Jared Jones is gonna be a subject of discussion in this show. Hasn't been good enough. We're gonna talk about why and what happens if it continues, and then we will always wrap up our Monday episodes with Platinum Keys Key of the Week Mark. Let's start it off though, reviewing this past week in Pirates base Ball. It started bad. They got crushed by the Mariners. Then it got good. They won against the Mariners. They crushed the Mariners. Everyone was cooking me online for my callum saying they shouldn't be buyers at the deadline.
Speaker 2: Whyeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then the reason I'm pessimistic came to Fruition on Friday and Saturday, where they lost a pair of very winnable ball games. Friday nights being one with Paul Skins on the mound they've lost eight straight when he started. And then Saturdays, I mean, that was one of their more demoralizing losses of the year, just being down to your final strike, a guy you tried to sign in the offseason takes the deep. But then they bounce back with Sunday Mark, I mean, overall your just thoughts on the home stand and you know, hey, another week back at five hundred. It seems like that's just where they are right now. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, the one optimistic takeaway is that this team gets right back up when they get knocked down, which I mean that take that for what it will. The fact that they're getting knocked down so often not great. But we've seen Pirates teams in the past where they'd have these losses and just get to moralize, it felt like, and let that bleed over into the next game and the next game, in the next game, and suddenly you're completely out of it. And that's the one thing I like about this twenty twenty six team where I felt like this home stand was reflective of that, where they got their teeth kicked in a couple of times and got right back up off the mat and like, that's good, but you need to figure out how to avoid those punches in the first place, and they just could not do that.
Speaker 2: We saw Paul.
Speaker 3: Skeins throw his worst ending of his career on Friday night in the second inning. That didn't feel good as a fan. And then to follow it up with the next night, like you said, down to one strike, I had my like raise it tweet, ready to go, preloaded ready. I was like, ah, this won't jinx it. It did, and yeah, it's just it was tough.
Speaker 2: I mean, luckily kind of got to wash some of that away.
Speaker 3: On Sunday, Ryan O'Hearn really stepped up with his two home run game, had four RBI s Maylan Valdez just continues to tear the cover off the ball. Had a four hundred, sixty, four hundred and sixty one foot bomb on Sunday as well. After he had a home run Saturday, I want to say either Friday.
Speaker 1: Or three straight games with the home run yep, okay.
Speaker 3: Ops over a thousand right now, So just really that stood out to me. But yeah, it was a little a roller coaster of a home stand to.
Speaker 4: Put it lately.
Speaker 3: What were your takeaways from it?
Speaker 1: Kind of the epitome of this team season. You'll go through one whole week thinking they stink. Oh they're really good, they could compete, they stink okay, Like it's just it's just the roller coaster that it is. I mean, you get a little bit of good starting pitching and get a little bit of bad starting pitching. I thought the bullpen minus Saturday, was pretty good right this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think they allowed a run against the Mariners entire series.
Speaker 1: Right, And I mean I thought they were good in Colorado last weekend, like they I think the bullpen has been a lot better. But you can't say they had a good weekend because or a good week because they blew save and it was a multi run lead that got erased. So yeah, you can't. You can't feel great about the bullpen. I mean the offense had a really good week. Uh just all together, they crushed the ball against I mean they took advantage of Mariner's pitching.
Speaker 2: Oh, I will say on Sunday, they they loaded the.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but I mean they still scored eight runs. Yeah, they scored eight runs, and like, yes, they left the bases loaded. Yeah, nine runs. They left the bases loaded. But at the end of the day, you still scored nine runs. So could it have been better? Yeah, But I mean if you're still scoring nine runs, you're still scoring nine runs. So that's how I look at it. But overall, yeah, it's just this team's treading water. And I guess that's okay, right, like you're not imploding, But when you look ahead at the rest of the schedule, it's it's gonna be hard to do. Like this is the kind of thing they need to be doing in July really when you look at July's schedule, because they're gonna need to continue treading water because I just don't see them pressing forward anytime soon with the injuries that they're facing and the flaws that they have parlayed with the competition that they're going to be facing. It'll be interesting to see because I think once you get to August the schedule lightens up, you'll have a team that's probably going to be a lot healthier. Probably it will have some additional help based off of trades you make, and you can finish these last two months strong. But man, you've got a whole other month of trying to win games the way they've won games, and it's it's it has not looked easy, but they're finding a way to do it half the time.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and we'll see if that continues when you're playing teams like the Phillies or the Braves coming up here in the next couple of weeks, where they're a little bit better competition than the Reds and the Mariners.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So we're gonna take a quick break. When we come back, we're going to talk about Jared Jones, his struggles and what the Pirates should do about him. Here, I'm Bucko Territory.
Speaker 5: People dehydration sucks, Quint's electrolyte stick packs to the rescue. I order them, I use them all of the time.
Speaker 6: Somebody who may or may not have had some adult beverages in their life. The next day, you know what flavor, I like watermelon, and I don't like watermelon, I'll go raspberry and it helps me to get my citrus salt in. But if I do, it helps me to get back to normal, feeling good and ready to go the next day.
Speaker 5: Yep, tough workout or dry mouth in the morning, whatever it is, this is going to help you out. Quint always has the best deals for you. You can go on there website and see a number of products we're talking about, not only a product that tastes great, but has zero sugar options that are also Stevia free. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to Quinns dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order in three sixty five day returns. That's qui n ce dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns Quinns dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the FEUD and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: All right, Jared Jones, Uh, he's been back for about a month now, and Uh, I'll be the one to say it. He hasn't been very good.
Speaker 2: He's said it himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, he said it himself. There have been a couple of good starts. I mean, I do think he's kind of like every other starting pitcher, is screwed a little bit by the defense, but overall, I mean, you just look at the run value on his pitches right now, the four scene fastball, that's his bread and butter, it's a negative to run value. The slider, which is when it's working, like when in twenty twenty four his slider had a seven run value. That's really good. It's got a negative one right now. The change up, which he's throwing a lot more of, is a negative, and the curveball, which was never really been that good, is negative two. So Mark, I'll just ask you this. We don't need to break down anymore, like how's how bad he's been? But what do you do if this continues with Jared? Because moving into the bullpen is asking for Carmen Maginski two point zero? It just is, yeah, like he hates it just as much as Carmen, and he can be just as you know, bullheaded as Carmen. So what do you do if this continues?
Speaker 3: That's a great question because you can't just let him continue to go out there and give up home runs or get sheld and give up hard contact constantly. We've seen the flashes where he looks good where he can get the whiffs, his fast ball philosophies right there, but the results just have domp been And yeah, it's like, at what point do you take him out of the rotation? And if you do, what do you do with him? Do you send him down to TRIPAA to get right or do you move him into like a back end of the bullpen roll where you maybe have him be like a closer where a lot of people say, like the fastball slider combo could work as a closer, could work as a reliever, But at the same time, his ceiling as a potential like starting pitcher is so high I think, is it? I like to think so, I know. I mean, like his twenty twenty four season was good, it wasn't great. He was twenty two. He gave up a lot of hard contact. Guys were barreling him a lot, and the Pirates defense was able to back him up on that, and a lot of that hard contact was more like ground balls than as well, so that benefited him. Now he's letting guys hit balls into the air. There's no defense behind him. And yeah, it's I mean, I still think he has a lot of ceiling. He's, like you said, small sample size here, he's just coming back. But yeah, it's it's been concerning so far. What would you do with him if the struggles continue.
Speaker 1: I've moved to the bullpen and say, look, dude, this is where you're gonna be. Like I mean, I voiced on our show on Friday, or last weekend or last Wednesday, I believe about my desire for them to acquire another starter, just because you just don't have guys that are covering enough innings right now. And Jared that's just something he's not gonna do. And I don't know if he'll ever do it. Like I get the potential of what Jared can do. His stuff's nasty. He was a top one hundred prospect. Hell, he's a top twenty five prospect at one time for Baseball America. But I don't know. I feel like we really put the card ahead of the horse here, ye with Jones just anointing him as like this show thing when he really had like two and a half good months of baseball in the majors. That's it. And since then there have been other guys who I think are just more promising. Like if I were giving out extensions right now the Pirates starting pitchers, I could think of four off the top of my head. I'd rather pay before Jared. It'd be Skeens, It'd be Ashcraft, it would be Bubba Chandler, who I think has a way higher seiling than Jared Jones. And I would extend Seth Hernandez before I would Jared Jones, who's still probably a few years away from the major leagues, at least one full year. And I'm not trying to dog on the guy, like I think Jared's good, but the reality is, like this guy just might be a relief pitcher and or at least this version of him, because he's clearly, you know, working his way back into it, and he might be a starter again one day, but I don't know. Man, Like, if you could just get Carmen and Jared to buy into being relief pitchers and then you go go out and acquire a left handed starter or something that you have shown the ability to identify at the major league level year after year after year, I think this team is so much better with how some of the other right handed relievers like Mattson's look good over the last couple of outings. Dennis Santana minus Rockies outing has been really good as of late. So I think you fix your you fix your bullpen if you move that, and I think that that would be better off for Jared. It'd be better off for Carmen too, but right now, I mean, hell, I'd rather have Carmen in the starting rotation than Jared Jones. Yeah. Yeah, I don't know what you do though, because again, clearly like they take how these guys will react to things into the equation. It's not a just it's not as simple as here's how it's gonna go. I'm the boss, here the employee do this should work like that. But it doesn't, at least not as black and white as what I just described it to be, because we've seen there be pushback from both of those guys. But I think this team would be better off with both of them in the bullpen and going out and getting a fifth true starter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that just opens up completely. You know what Ben Harrington can do before this trade deadline? You know if yeah, it throws a starter into the mix as well as if you find a bullpen option that works great, But if not, you can move Jared into the bullpen and that's your new bullpen piece that you just acquired. So I don't think it's a bad plan if Jared buys into it, and I mean hopefully like that he knows that he struggles or he's struggling right now, so maybe that will help him buy in to the B word now that he's seen the results of him as a starter. But I don't know. I wouldn't bet on that, So.
Speaker 1: No, I mean either, and I'll say this as we wrap up this segment. Like we mentioned in the first segment, July is going to be a huge test for this team. There's not a player on this team who needs to step up more than Jared Jones. Yeah, because I mean the bullpen. Like you could say, like, oh yeah, if Brandon Bedoir or whoever, but like and even if Mattson and Santana continue to get better, like that's great, that's gonna help the long term aspect of the team. But right now they need Jared to give them six or at least five, and it's got to be five with at least like three or less runs more often than not, he's got to give him something better. He hasn't. He hasn't. He's had one good start since he's been back. He's had one good start, So.
Speaker 2: Not good enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna take another quick break when we come back. We wrap up the show with Platinum Keys Key of the Week here on Buco Territory.
Speaker 3: Bucco Territory is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and Fandel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily Dingers.
Speaker 2: Join.
Speaker 3: The action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So, Noah, last time we recorded, you correctly picked Henry Davis to hit a home run. What you got for them?
Speaker 1: Now, let's go. Jake Mangum, Friend of the Program, Jake Mangum.
Speaker 3: He's gotten pretty close a couple of times here, some sneaky pop. He's not trying to hit a home run, but they'll pop out of there. Sometimes I'm going to go with another friend of the program here a guy who hit two home runs on Sunday, Why not have another one coming up this week? Ryan O'Hearn just continuing to mash ops of eight twenty one this year, looking really good and covering back at first base with Spencer Horwartz out. So love the flexibility from him. I think that might you know, Becka's natural position may lead to another home run from him. So you ready to play your game? Head on over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash Podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 7: No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issued, does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller Tex one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 3: All right, now for my Key of the Week segment, We're gonna spare the.
Speaker 4: People the wape and just no, no, we're not all right, all right here we goes all right, there it is.
Speaker 3: This week's key of the week is a guy who is just burst onto the scene, a guy we talked about earlier this season as someone that is a fan favorite that we'd love to see get an opportunity this year, and he finally has that opportunity now. With Spencer Horwartz missing time until it sounds like after the all start break, Ben Sherrington said he's gonna miss weeks probably or weeks, not days, So prepare for Spencer Horward to be out for a little bit. And my key of the week is as Marilyn Valdez continue to step up, continue to play him every single day. Right now, he's on a complete tear. As Noah mentioned earlier, home runs in his last three games ops up to one thousand and one now, just tearing the cover off the ball, doing it in multiple situations where he started the game as right field he hit a home run, coming as a pinch hitter, just doing whatever this team needs. And in a situation where this team really needs someone to step up, where one of your best hitters, your leadoff hitter, goes down, and so I just my key of the week is just continue to do that as Maryland continue to play him, because I think he'll just run with this opportunity. He struggled a little bit against fastballs, but when the breaking ball comes in, he is taking full advantage of that opportunity.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 3: Maybe he continues with the extra opportunities here, you know, learning to hit that fastball relatively quick.
Speaker 2: He has made some.
Speaker 3: Serious adjustments in the minors and really blew onto the prospects scene. Was that two years ago or a year ago?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Last year?
Speaker 3: Last year, Yeah, and then the Arizona Fall League in the off season and all that. So love seeings Marilyn succeed. Just a great guy, seems easy to root for, has fun out there, leaves in himself, believes in this team, and I think him continue to succeed is key for the Pirates in a four game series coming up against the Phillies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, losing Spencer's tough, but when you get Connor Griffin back to that lead off and then you get a little bit of that pop with Esmalyn, I mean he's been he's been great, and I mean him developing into an everyday player, which I'm still not sure if he is. This year. I think he can be a really good fourth outfielder or bench guy and like someone who can start and stretches whenever there's an injury. But I do think it's trending like he will be like an everyday player for this team eventually. And that's a huge win for their international scouting, which has been horrible. Yeah, like it just totally nothing.
Speaker 3: Nothing like the last like homegrown.
Speaker 4: Player.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so they they need to find more guys like this, and you know, the Pirates should hope that this is kind of the first step in the right direction, a win for a guy like that who wasn't a high rated prospect. I mean, no one even knew about him two years ago. I remember writing him in our pipeline reports that we used to write every Monday with the PG and uh, you know, like he had a good whatever in Bradenton in twenty twenty four and then in Greensboro towards the end and he just kind of caught fire and hasn't cooled down since last season. So he's an easy guy to root for. And I mean, pop, man, if you're hitting the ball, you're hitting a home run every day, they'll find a spot for you.
Speaker 2: See what he does, which I think is crucial. It's huge kind of what show exactly.
Speaker 3: And so when you get counter or I got counter back, but when you get O'Neill back from injury, maybe that's the time where if Ozoon is still struggling and Valdez is still mashing and able to be your fourth out feeler, especially against lefties. Yeah, that opens up so much for your lineup, just getting a zoooning off this team. As we've said multiple times with opening up that d H is spot to be a rotation than just once person.
Speaker 1: So yeah, all right, Well, before I give Mark his opportunity to give a final thought, we want to hit remind everyone to hit that subscribe button if they haven't already. We were on a mission of three thousand subscribers can't get there without your help, and we want to remind you all to hit the Bucko Territory team store where you can get all of our merch and you can support the show. It would mean a whole heck of a lot to us if you did it. Mark any final thoughts before we wrap up another episode.
Speaker 3: One final thought just a shout out to Tyler Callahan. He is looking like a major League ballplayer, and I wasn't expecting the most necessarily from him. The Pirates acquired him in the Kyle Nicholas trade, and so I, yeah, we've seen a lot of these like utility infielders in the past. Alex Stump, you know, tweeted out the long list of all these players that the Pirates have similar to Callahan that have just kind of fizzled out your Josh, Yeah, yeah, And it's just really been nice to see the energy Callahan brings. And he's really stepped up and looked good. His wing looks nice. Uh, played some pre solid defense, has flexibility, can shift him all around. So I don't know how much I want him to be like played necessarily, but it's been really really nice seeing him succeed when he is given a chance to play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he he and Valdez both have been great in their roles. That's really all I have to say too. It's a big, big week of Bucco Baseball. As always, we'll be here to cover it. Josh will be back with us on our next show. He's Platinum Key aka Markum Noah Hiles. We're signing off saying thanks for tuning in. To another episode of Bucco Territory, presented to you by the Thought Territory Network. Take care