Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that. It's time for The Break on.
Speaker 1: Dallas Cowboys dot Com on with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Thursday November fourteenth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number sixty eight. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are live from s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. We're presented by LGLG is the world's number one o leed TV brand for eleven years in counting. See why at LG dot com forward slash o leedevo.
Speaker 2: How's everybody doing today?
Speaker 6: Doing well?
Speaker 7: Excellent?
Speaker 2: Good, We're good. All right.
Speaker 5: We're gonna talk a little Cowboy versus Texans. Yesterday we talked about the Texans offense versus the Cowboys defense. Today we flipped that and we'll hit up the Texans defense versus the Cowboys offense. We'll hopefully get to some questions here in the second or third segment, So feel free to give us a call eight eight eight eight five five two two ninety seven, or you can us on Twitter. You can hit me on Twitter and send your questions that way and we'll try to get some. I already have a few that have lined up that I got from from X that that we'll use. I actually wanted to warm up today. I'm gonna do something a little bit different because it's a Cowboys Texans week.
Speaker 2: I figured just to get us warmed up.
Speaker 7: I got three d game I've ever been a part of. Their first game ever. I know, me too, the worst game ever, me too, and that we've I've been a part of a lot of bad ones here. That was the worst game I've ever been a part of absolutely ever. So go ahead, carry on right quick. That's my memory of the Texans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, their first game as a as as a franchise, as a franchise.
Speaker 2: That makes us a really old Brian. We were both there. We were there that night.
Speaker 7: It wasn't good.
Speaker 2: It wasn't good. That's look. Here's what I got.
Speaker 7: I got.
Speaker 2: I got three different pairings.
Speaker 5: I got a person from Houston, and I got a person from Dallas. And I want you guys to tell me which one is better? All right, We're gonna start with Earl Campbell versus Emmitt Smith.
Speaker 6: Oh God, oh Emmitt, Emmitt Emmitt.
Speaker 4: The only reason I thought about it is because I'm in East Texas guy Earl campbells and East Texas guys.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I put the bias aside Emma Smith all time leading Russia. Is there an arguments we made?
Speaker 2: Look, I'm asking you the question.
Speaker 7: I'm thinking about this really hard because I have the utmost respect for both players.
Speaker 2: And it's a hard one.
Speaker 7: And I know what Earl Campbell did you know? And I know it did and I know it's the all time this.
Speaker 2: M it's a hard one.
Speaker 7: It is hard one.
Speaker 2: Give me Earl Campbell, Okay, all right?
Speaker 8: Not for me. I mean I only know most on Emmitt Smith. That's mainly who I know about.
Speaker 2: So I'll tell you google Earl Campbell.
Speaker 6: We gotta take a field trip to Tyler, Texas one day.
Speaker 9: Rose.
Speaker 2: It's really not fair for me.
Speaker 5: Obviously, I'm a Texas guy, and I grew up with him being like probably my biggest sports title outside of the guy I'm gonna name next.
Speaker 2: But it's it's hard.
Speaker 8: How's that he's over here with the hook, yeah up here? Okay?
Speaker 5: You watching him play football? He played with some yeah people did not want to.
Speaker 4: Tackle to John Tyler High School. My grandmother graduated with Earl Campbell.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, all right, so next one, keem Olajuan or Dirt novitzkye.
Speaker 6: The dream baby start?
Speaker 2: Oh, Dirk really okay?
Speaker 7: And I and I'll tell you what, man, because you can go back with a key. I mean, that's that goes back to you know, him being him Houston guy the whole way through with school and all that too. You of h guy Lewis down there, I get no dirt dirt Dirk, all right, you're a Dallas guy, right, yes, give me Dirk.
Speaker 8: Don't look at me. You're literally out of my boundaries here about this zone.
Speaker 7: Because he's gonna say he's going to say a key. He said it. Keep you and I need to get together on this. I need you to break the tie.
Speaker 8: This My my is what when did I start working here? Twenty thirteen? Run right out of college? Yeah, I don't know what you're what's that? But if it's not in the last decade, don't I'm sorry. I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Well, actually, when I was coming up with these. I was like, yeah, Amber's not gonna answer any of these other than the last one. The last one you'll be able to answer. All right, we got the last one. Beyonce or Post.
Speaker 6: I knew it was gonna be Beyonce. Yeah, I gotta take Beyonce. What are we talking about, Posty Man.
Speaker 8: Post alone?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Beyonce wo yeah, you know what. I respect Beyonce. She's beautiful, gorgeous.
Speaker 7: She's not a voice aboy.
Speaker 8: I mean I've only met one of them in person, and he was the most humble, down to earth guy. He's you just you know when it's very rare that you meet somebody that just radiates a certain type of energy and he he's just he was. I I loved him immediately, so and you you've worked with him Derek before. He's just so nice and great guy.
Speaker 5: I fell on the side of Houston for most of these, and I love Beyonce, but Post, like, post has been so good to us, I could never be like, yeah, he's been really good to us and always has been there when we all them like, hey, can you come do some stuff for us?
Speaker 4: So I would always have to go with this is the one moment that I think Colina would want to be on a podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Beyonce, no doubt, and it would be fair.
Speaker 7: Outstanding. But like you say, post, he he really he wears his fandom.
Speaker 2: You can see he wears Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he wears his fandom. And you know it's important to him too, you know, he like they tried, they've He's been in some settings where he'll wears Cowboys stuff and all that and they give him grief about it, and he's like, yeah, man, he'll walk off a set you give him. You ain't gonna give me grief about my team, you know.
Speaker 8: So I and also has a great voice.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 8: I had the chance to go to Dak's event last year, his foundation that he held, and then he had posts in their perform just a private performance. We weren't allowed to take out our phones or anything, so I don't have anything but my memory of it. And it was just like him with the guitar on stage, just no auto tune, know nothing. It was just so raw and beautiful. So he's just I love him. Yes, And he doesn't smell bad by the way too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there is there is a rumor that he smells bad. He doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, okay out of nowhere. But I remember you saying.
Speaker 8: Something because it was always a question. I've had people wondering when you look at him, and then I got the chance to hug him. I forgot what game that was.
Speaker 2: Like he was smelling you, like the way he kind of was like I didn't know who.
Speaker 8: Was Like just in case anyone was wondering. When I got to have him, he did not smell bad.
Speaker 7: How okay, people that you deal with, you guys deal with like that. And I have an experience from like a famous person that recognizes you. How do you deal with that? Did he recognize you? Did he know you? Amber Garci when you introduce yourself? He did not.
Speaker 8: I feel like he literally treats because there's sometimes there's these actors that, oh who is it?
Speaker 7: It was, well, I know, okay. The Governor of New Jersey, Chris Christy, like I was sitting in my cubicle upstairs one time watching tape and he walks by, like with he's with security, he's going to see Jerry, and he stops and he goes Brian brought us. Nice to see you, And I was like, Governor, yeah, thanks appreciate you know kind of waving that way. But then you know, there's been others that have that, Like when you go to training camp, like those actors that come around and stuff, they go, hey, man, I really like look on the side all the time. I love your work, love your breakdown and that stuff, and you're kind of like, oh, thanks, you know, appreciate there's you don't know, like these they're famous people, but then they're kind of watching your work to kind of learn about what's going on.
Speaker 2: With the team. They're normal people, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The more time I've been around famous people, the more I realized famous people are just regular people.
Speaker 7: Jamie Fox, you know, Jamie Fox was one of those You meet him and he's like, ah no man, Dallascowboys dot com. And I'm like, yeah, nice to meet you. You know that kind of thing. I mean, it's really kind of cool that way that people that have that status but they know you're what work you do? You know, That's that's kind of a cool thing around here.
Speaker 5: Well post he's been on a lot of our works, so we've we've had opportunities to work with them, so it's been really cool and I will always always be a fan of his for just for that, because he's such a helper to us.
Speaker 2: All Right, that was good warm up. Let's jump.
Speaker 5: You know one topic I wanted to hit before we go to our first break. I was looking at and I think this has been a topic that has really been talked about quite a bit over the last few weeks. Dallas Cowboys and third quarters. Right now, they're being outscored in the third quarters eighty two to twenty two, obviously a huge discrepancy. What would you attribute that to? If you had to look at one thing that you could say, you know, I think this is it. And then I obviously if anybody really knew what it was was, it'd probably be somebody on that side of the building and they would have figured it out by now. But if you're just thinking about it, what would be the thing that you would most attribute it to?
Speaker 6: Coaching? They had the same issues last year in the third quarter.
Speaker 4: It wasn't as big of a discrepancy, but they did battle in the third quarter.
Speaker 6: For about the first twelve weeks of the season.
Speaker 4: In November December, they kind of figured it out, but there were still some games like the Bills game comes to mind. I think the Miami game was also an instance where the third quarter got out of hand. But this has been a problem for this coaching staff the last couple of years. I think whenever you go in at halftime and you come out with different adjustments, I think they are getting out coached in that sense.
Speaker 7: I think a love it has to do the coaching aspect of it. I think, especially this year. And you know, your defense got to stop coming out of the halftime. Last week, you needed one, they got a three and out man. They have just not Dallas has not done a very good job in what we call the middle eight the last four minutes of the half and the first four minutes of the second half. It just has not. They were a good middle eighteen a couple of years ago, but they it hasn't been that that the way. I think a lot of things happened in the third. I think your defense, especially this year's gotten really beat down. You know, the the you know, the the number of plays and stuff, and the the runs and things that they've had to deal with. I think they get just really physical half. They get beat down, and they and they and it's it's been a problem. And then the offense is just inability to come out with any type of anything to kind of keep a drive going to you know, to get you know, get going. It seems like, you know, I always ask Christy Scales this question the in the in the in the pregame show, I say, all right, Scoop, you're gonna take the ball, You're gonna play defense to start. And she always used to say right off the jump that, hey, I'm gonna play defense then and now it's like she has to think because she's like, I don't know, you know, because it it's been so bad. You don't know if you know, do you you want to try and win the middle eight or do you want to try and get the ball to you know, you're interested to start with the ball. But man, they just the inability to get anything going offensively has been a huge problem. But I think your defense, especially this year, has gotten really really beat down because the things they've had to deal with because the offensive struggles in the first half of games and it's led to some things happening in the third.
Speaker 8: Well. Yeah, I mean we've talked about it a lot here with how different the first half is versus the second half, and how it affects the defense, how I mean, they do everything they possibly can in the first half for you to stay in the game, and they get tired. I mean, you get it's exhausting. I can only imagine. But I attribute all of it mainly to coaching, because again, I've never been in a locker room at halftime, like an NFL locker room and understand exactly what is said and what kind of adjustments they try to implement. But you've seen other teams be successful at it, so there's something to it where you know it can happen and you can come out looking completely different in the halftime and the second half versus the first half. But I don't have an answer other than whatever McCarthy's doing during that period right there is clearly not working. So I don't have an answer.
Speaker 10: Really.
Speaker 5: You know, Brian, you brought up something that I wonder how much. I don't think it affects this necessarily, but I do wonder how much it affects the Cowboys in games. Is deferring, and I, for the life of me, cannot understand how any team doesn't differ.
Speaker 2: And the reason why I say that is because I'm with you.
Speaker 5: There's only one opportunity you have other than to get a turnover. There's only one opportunity you have in a game to still a possession, and that is if you defer to the second half. If it works out to where you can end the half with the ball and then you can get it by the beginning of the second That is the only way in football to be able to steal a possession other than through a turnover. And because possessions are so valuable, why would you not give yourself the chance to steal a possession. That I just I've never been able to understand that. And I've heard coaches talk about like, you want to get a fast start and all the things they mentioned when they talk about it, But I'm just like, none of that is more important than possibly stealing a possession.
Speaker 8: Is playing like this, Yeah, you want your defense just to start the game and they give your offense in the second half.
Speaker 4: We've talked about this a couple of times about how this team has not started games well A and B. Whenever they get down by two scores, it's basically over. And I think it's more so a confidence thing that they have. I think there was the game against Atlanta where they received after the opening coin toss. I could be completely off, but there was one and since the bye week where they took the coin toss or they took the ball off the coin toss. I think it's a situation we're like, okay, we want to go score points first, because we're getting points scored on us every single time. So I think that's probably their thought process. But I'm completely with you, Derek. You have to have both sides of the ball that can play well enough. It's where you can steal that possion coming out of the second half.
Speaker 5: All right, let's let's go ahead and take our first real quick. Actually, Nick sent me a text. Nick Eatman sent me a text. He said, also to note this is it. This is an interesting number of yards in the third quarter. Nine to seventy one to four seventy five. Yeah, that's how how many more yards they're giving up. So it's it's really a failure in two ways. It's a failure offensively in that you're not being able to move the ball, you're not.
Speaker 2: Being able to score points. And defensively yeacause we're not hi, we're tired.
Speaker 8: I'm on the defense. By way, we're tired. We're exhausted by then it's like, give us a break, you know, So I don't blame that. I don't get mad at them anymore because it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we're gona take our first break. We come back.
Speaker 5: We're going to jump into the Houston defense versus the Cowboys offense.
Speaker 2: Will be back. Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jaw in the Cheatah Savannah.
Speaker 12: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 13: Five G requires CAMPATBA plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See ADP dot com Slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 14: It's the official Min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 11: Don't foot off getting your oil change Dalla.
Speaker 10: Take five Oil change, A proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think.
Speaker 11: They're so fast you don't even have to get out.
Speaker 2: Of your car.
Speaker 11: You can take advantage of take fives.
Speaker 10: Stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 15: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Starn Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com.
Speaker 6: Lucasey the official boot.
Speaker 15: Of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 16: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com.
Speaker 2: Check it out today.
Speaker 16: YETI Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 8: Lg oled evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our work for it. Digital Trends said that LGOLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com slash oledevo.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: We're in the second segment of the Break Life nest WBC Mortgage Studios at the start of the segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, so I started looking at this Houston defense. First thing that popped out to me is that they are fourth in past defense. They're third interceptions. They take the ball away, particularly through interceptions. What makes their pass defense so good?
Speaker 6: Pass rush, it's certainly part of it. I think it starts with the pass.
Speaker 7: Rush in yeah, yeah, go ahead, I mean you got it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it starts with the pass rush. I think also Demico Ryans is a demon. He throws a scheme out there, and that if you want to look at a If you're a Cowboys fan and you heard early in the season a lot about these players talking about yeah, guys aren't doing their jobs or trying to play hero ball, and you're a fan of you're trying to understand, Okay, what does that not look like? Look at the Houston Texans defense, because that's what everybody playing together as a unit does look like. Everyone everyone plays their job. I think specifically, you see it in the secondary. Specifically, they have assignments for every type of route anything pretty much other than like the drag routes. They're okay with allowing this stuff across the field. The field which could work for this offense because I think with this kind of West Coast scheme that Mike McCarthy tries to throw out at times, it's it's very across the field, you know, left and right. Cooper Rush tried to do it too much against the Eagles, so they could find some things down there, but they bank on the fact that the offense is eventually going to take a shot and when they do, they're going to take advantage of you. And you see it with If they go vertical route, then they'll have a safety come over a guy like Jimmy Ward. If they have you know, a post over the middle, then they'll have a guy like a ciz Al Shayir dropping coverage and be able to cut that off. They are more than comfortable with allowing their corners to stay one on one as well, But it starts with the pass rush with will Anderson, and.
Speaker 7: Their secondary is outstanding. I mean, you know, we when you when you look at where they where they're at, and I mean they there we I mean the pass rushes is just as good. But you know, when you start to talk about with will Anderson and then also with with Hunter, they'll play opposite sides that you know, they'll want to play right, will play left, and we'll flip it around a little bit. They they love to play. They played nickel the whole game. You know, they played nickel because they've got legitimate They've got a they've got a safety in this Kalan b look and we watched him at USC and he is a tall, thin, really a corner that's playing safety and he leads their team in interceptions and he's got really good vision for what's going on and he kind of finds ways to fit in coverage and stuff. But Stingley can cover really well, Lasser can cover really well, and Petrie can cover really well. They've got three guys and then all of a sudden, they got a safety that's kind of a corner playing free safety, so they literally have four corners on them and Petrie. Petrie plays Nickel, but he's kind of like a like he's a he's like a safety as well in the fat in fact, how physical he is. So to me, they they've got ability that the pass rush and then the coverage aspect on the back end. They just don't give you a lot of space. I mean, you go back and look, and you go back and you check, you watch the tape, you look at metro like teams are like fifty completion percentage against these guys. They just don't give you. Now. They play, they play at they play off, but they're really good at driving and good at like when you know when they have to carry and they can they can find this and you talk about the underneath stuff that that's clearly gonna be an issue for them, But when it goes to down the field, you know, not being out of position, this is this is one of the best defenses the Cowboys gonna play.
Speaker 4: I think, quick question, do you feel like it's an issue that they allow the underneath or you think it's something that they're okay.
Speaker 7: With at they're okay with it because I feel like that they're gonna tackle.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like they're gonna they're.
Speaker 7: Gonna, they're gonna let it go and then they're gonna just rally to the ball.
Speaker 5: So you're saying, this is another game of three four yard passes, and.
Speaker 7: It's it's gonna well, it's gonna be a problem because too because I mentioned Will Anderson and I mentioned Hunter. But they get they get like like Tim Settle the defensive tackle, they get some pressure inside Mario Edwards, they get some pressure inside on you, and you know that's that's it. Teams have teams have had you talk about running the football. They're kind of like a little bit mid pack on that. But but but overall the pass coverage, they want to get you in past. They want to get you where you're having to throw the football because they feel like that they can you know, they could bring five, they could rush four. They know on the back end that there there's their corners and their safeties are gonna hold up and and it makes it it's it's it's a great way to call defenses if you've got that kind of group that you have that much confidence in to to make place.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Tim Settle.
Speaker 5: He's a guy that over the last few weeks has been playing really well for them. Uh where does he typically line up and and how does that match up with Dallas's guys?
Speaker 2: Does he flip around.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're gonna flip around inside there. You know they're gonna get What's gonna happen is I have a feeling, and Nit correct me if I'm wrong on this. I think that they're gonna hunt match up here. I think I think they're gonna hunt matchups and I think they're gonna hunt matchups with Hunter is what they're gonna do. Yeah, And and depending on who's playing, is it a guide in game? Is it a you know, is a Steel game? We know Steel is gonna play, but we'll see how the other things work out. But this team, like I say, they they're gonna they're gonna play. They're gonna get nickel, and they're gonna they're gonna try and choke the run. And if they could choke the run, and they're gonna make you throw the ball. And that's that's that's where they come to play because they feel like they can get guys home and they feel like that they can cover on the back end.
Speaker 6: You hadn't mentioned either yesterday or Tuesday that these guys do a lot of stunts. Yeah, they stunt almost every play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I would I would love to see an exten stat of how often they stunt, like stunt percentage, it would have to be eight.
Speaker 5: It's like everything that they do well, Cowboys struggle at. Like it doesn't sound like when if we when if we.
Speaker 7: Had this discussion on a on a you know, when we break down the opponent and it's like, okay, Dallas could take advantage of this and then there, but their opponent can do this, and it's really everything that Dallas is poor at, you know. And and this is going to be this is going this is just this could be very reminisus. The game can remind me. That's what I should say. I should stop trying to use big words. But the thing that this has got a little bit of a Detroit vibe to it for me, this game, and I mean it in a way of inside pressure, outside pressure and guys on the back end that can cover a little bit. You know. That's and when you have versatile like with Brian Branch and guys like that, you you have versatile players that could play, you know, and take away things from you. This is what's going to be difficult about moving the ball against these I think there's ways that Dallas can attack them on defense when Dallas is playing defense. I think there's things I think that if if the Texans really want to shut you down, they could probably do it.
Speaker 2: They're a scenario if I just need one it can it? Can you give me.
Speaker 5: One scenario of this is one crease in their defense. This is one thing in their defense that they've been a little shaky on that if Dallas can't exploit it, this is how they could be successful.
Speaker 4: This offense has to be super patient because they're not gonna get any big place. And I think I think Cooper Rush is a patient quarterback that that's probably one of the traits that has been talked about them on him.
Speaker 2: It's maybe a little bit toatient.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that could play into his strength. But yeah, this is going to require a lot of patients, both in the run game and in the pass game.
Speaker 7: For the early downs. Nobody the Lions are the only team in the league that blitch you more than these dudes on third down? Okay, they don't want to go there? You don't want to go there? Yeah? You know they you know. It's it's kind of funny when you when you look at certain teams and you're like, okay, when are they going to come after you. Like I said, these guys got naturally a good pass rush, but they'll bring slots, they'll bring linebackers, they'll bring you, they'll bring secondary pressure and stuff like that. Dallas has got to somehow win on early downs. You can't. It can't be second and nine, you know, and then all of a sudden you're scrambling and then you know there's a three yard pass and now it's third and six. No, I mean, Dallas has got to it. They have got to stay out of third downs against these guys. You know, if somehow you can, you know, you've got to make these things where it's a second and three, play that way, play second and two. It's gonna be really hard for But these these guys, like say, they get you in third down, they feel like they can get off the field. And if Dallas is in a bunch of long yardage, I guess you could say it for any team, but especially this team because of how they can match you up. So if Dallas doesn't win on early downs, this ambar On defense is going to get just really super tired this game.
Speaker 8: Well I know, I blink and we're already on third downs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so.
Speaker 8: It happens so fast Alfas gets on the field, I literally just blink third down on my own.
Speaker 6: Great.
Speaker 8: So I mean hopefully hopefully they stay patient. I think that's the key right there. Patient, Yeah, because when you start hurting, I mean, they've made so many mistakes. I think you just have to assng As you're a little smarter and more patient. I think they could create some positive plays offensively with Cooper Rush.
Speaker 4: There was a moment at the halftime break Bobby Belt and I had gotten together, just like a couple of things that stood up to us, and one of the things that we both saw was the inefficiency on first down and half against the Eagles. Specifically, I didn't take the numbers in the second half because at that point, you know whatever, But in.
Speaker 7: The first half that destroyed your will take exactly happened.
Speaker 6: In the first half.
Speaker 4: They had fourteen plays on first down. Not fourteen first downs. They had fourteen plays on first down. They have thirty four total yards on those plays. It's two point four yards per play and two turnovers. I factored that in eleven of those yards came on one place, so it was really thirteen plays for twenty three yards and aside from that one eleven yard carried by Rico Dawdle, the lack of efficiency and getting ahead of the chains is affecting this offense drastically. Yep, they have to be able to get ahead of the chain.
Speaker 7: These guys will punish you. I do you have it's similar numbers like that. It'll be ugly, it'll be bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, you mentioned Mario, which it was it. Why weren't you hear when his dad was drafted?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: You draft his dad?
Speaker 5: I was on here with I remember Mario his dad being on the Cowboys, and I would hear when he got drafted as well.
Speaker 2: But I was pretty sure you were part of that crew that draft.
Speaker 7: Crazy. I mean, think about it. As matter of fact, Mario wasn't senior, wasn't out of the league very long, right before his son was playing college football.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, all of a sudd it popped up and I was like, Mario's kid, sure enough.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It was kind of one of those things that you're kind of like going, wait a minute, man, what do he happened when he was like eleven years old or something like that.
Speaker 2: Mario Mario Senior was a character. He was a he was a fun guy. Yeah, all right, let's take our final.
Speaker 6: T Y Hilton's kids going to Purdue next year.
Speaker 2: It's like this thing moves fast. You really you look around college football all the time.
Speaker 5: I'm seeing now, oh yeah, that's I saw the other day a Ronde Gatston's kid playing college football. Like they're just all these kids that are around college football now that well, I watched their dads play football.
Speaker 7: And then Harrison. I remember Marvin Harrison for the Colts. I remember he I remember scouting him in like Syracuse, and then all of a sudden, I'm scouting his Sunday Ohio State. Yeah, you know, just a lot of.
Speaker 2: Time moves baby. All right, let's take our final break. We'll come back.
Speaker 5: I got some questions for you guys about this Cowboys offense and how they can match up this weekend that when we come back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 17: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys then on an lg OL ed Evil TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels, no one comes close.
Speaker 2: Lgo led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 17: See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Ledevo.
Speaker 9: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of.
Speaker 7: John Deere equipment built to.
Speaker 2: Tackle any challenge on and off the field.
Speaker 9: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 4: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious, ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 2: And we're going to overtie Erica.
Speaker 13: How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 3: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance, message data rates. Additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 12: Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this Cheetah that can ride eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G.
Speaker 11: Fast reliable, secure.
Speaker 13: Five G requires campatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 8: At and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 7: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: Final segment to live from the SWVC Mortgage studios at the Star. Let's talk about this Cowboys offense. How confident are you that? Stop laughing, Bright, I'm not I'm confident are you?
Speaker 7: I'm just thinking?
Speaker 2: How confident are you that Cooper Rush?
Speaker 5: Cooper Rush can be better than what he showed against Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: He's got to be right, that's got to be rock bottom. I would assume it was. It was an awful showing. You talk about the shotgun snap dropping, the shotgun snap it leading to a Philadelphia score forty five yards total passing.
Speaker 6: It's it will be better.
Speaker 2: Can I qualify that though I can get worse?
Speaker 5: Well, let me qualify that because I think we all have a certain impression of him from what happened when he had to play those five games, whatever it was.
Speaker 2: But there were a lot of different factors involved.
Speaker 5: You had a much better defense, which, by the way, the way the defense played the other night closer to what you had there, But it was a different offense, even it was a different play caller. There were a lot of different things that factored in. I guess what I'm trying to get to is without some of those things, did we maybe overvalue him then? Did we maybe give him a lot more credit? Sure, then maybe he was due and what we're seeing right now is closer to what he is. Or do you think he really what you've seen and all the practices you've watched and everything.
Speaker 2: Do you think he's just better and that was just a bad day.
Speaker 4: I mean, I look back at the Atlanta game and I see a guy who was able to move the offense toffdfield, and he did it in a He had that team in a position that, if you know, the ball bounced their on an on site kick, they would have had a chance to win that game. So I think it was more so a product of Philadelphia being able to prepare for Cooper Rush going into the week, having a guy like Kellen Moore in the building to do so, and then they just they went all out after him and he was not able to do anything. You know, I think back to training camp specifically this year and being you know, when there was a question about if a QB two battle was ongoing. You pay a lot more attention to Cooper Rush and Trey Lance and whenever they make mistakes, whenever they do things right, and compared to last training camp, I feel like Cooper Rush maybe took a step down, but very clear still to QB two in that sense, but he was making a little bit more mistakes this year than we got used to seeing him whenever he was starting back in those five six games and whenever he was in the preseason last year. And then also I think it's really important to note that this team went all in with Trey Lance in the preseason. Yeah, and they didn't give Cooper Rush any time really at all during the preseason. It was that first game where he had a couple of series and then we didn't see Cooper Rush. You know, how much is that just being super rusty and not being on a field and over a year. You know, we're talking about sixteen months at this point, so I wonder how much that is factored in. And you know, you asked Cooper. He won't give you any of those excuses. He said, I got to play better. But I think in the back of his mind even he has to think about, Okay, if I had had those three games to play in the preseason, how much more would I be able to catch up the speed?
Speaker 7: Right now, I think this one's not going to fall on the quarterbacks. This one's going to fall on the offensive line and the receivers. You know, if they're going to have you know, Cooper Rush and Trey Lance are who they are. Yeah, but you're going to have to find a way to win on the outside, you know. There we talked about, there's a lot of they play with a lot of cushion here, but you've got to be ready for You've got to be ready for the secondary. I mean they're good. I mean, you put put Trey Lance out there, You're liable to have four interceptions in this game, you know, if you really are if if that's the case, so it's going to be about how well are they can they win on the outside, can find a way to win on the outside. If they do find a way to win, can they block the front? Can they block Will Anderson? Can they block Settle? Can they block Hunter? Can they block these guys? Can they block these linebackers? That's another thing that they're gonna have to deal with. I think the quarterback play will be important. But what's going on around, you know, Houston. If they completely shut you down at wide receiver, it doesn't matter what Cooper Rush or Trey Lance do. It doesn't matter, you know. But they they they they're gonna the Tolbert and Lamb and these guys are turping. They're gonna they're gonna need to win, you know. I mean, they're probably not gonna win every play, but they're gonna need to win. And if but if they don't, this this, like I said, this's got a kind of a Detroit vibe to me a little bit. With the pressure and then the guy's covering on the back end. That that's that's that's what needs to happen.
Speaker 8: I think, Well, yeah, and this is no attack to Cooper Rush because I think he's been such a good backup quarterback and we've seen it before in the past where he's been able to win games for this team. But he's a backup quarterback for a reason, Like he's not necessarily meant to be the savior and come in and just put everything on his shoulder. You know, he needs the type of that type of help around. He needs the receivers to be getting open, creating separation, hitting their marks, and everyone just kind of working seamless. Seem seamlessly, yeah, seems Yeah.
Speaker 7: He needs to be accurate though too. If they do get open, you know, they can't. This is we always talk about this. The margin of error for this team is zero. They can't they can't afford when they when they have a guy open, they can't afford a mispass. They can't afford to drop, they can't afford you know, a penalty when they get a big play. You know, there's you can say about a lot of teams, but especially this team on offense. They are really challenged in a lot of areas right now.
Speaker 8: But see, one of the things that was really positive when Dak went out that season, Kellen Moore knew how to adjust to his quarterback. He started playing into what Cooper rush strengths were and adjusting to his game. He was a lot more comfortable with those second team guys, the backup receivers he had, he's had, he had been practicing with them all the time, and the connection was better there than it was with a lot of the starters at the time. So I think that's where it's lacking. And something that I didn't feel like I saw last week was Mike McCarthy kind of adjusting to what Cooper Rush is and just changing the play calling a little bit to work better on his favor. So I think it's a combination of everybody. You need to be able to do a lot more adjusting to cater to Cooper Rush.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know it's impossible, I shouldn't say impossible, but highly unlikely to just change your offense in the middle of the season due to a quarterback going down. But if it were up to me, I think I would really lean into using Trey Lance and doing a lot of read option, and especially against.
Speaker 2: A defense like this, Well, I know it's it's a hard thing to do.
Speaker 7: It's a very hard thing to do and got to be able to do it though.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hear what you're saying, and I think that especially when I hear when I hear this defense that they're going to play this weekend and all the challenges they present to you, one thing that can always throw a defense like that, I don't care how good they are, is to see something for the first time. And what I mean by that is if you haven't put it on film, then they're not expecting it from you, and so them having to defend it means they have to defend it on the fly. They have to figure it out on the fly because they're not preparing for that all week. And I think when you're outmatched, as it seems like they may be this week, this would be a great time for them to roll out something like that and just choose a ton of read option with this quarterback that has all this ability with leg with his legs, and not play into what they really want you to do, which is they want you to throw the ball.
Speaker 2: They want to get they want those interceptions.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 5: I think that would be how I would look at this game, But again, that's a challenging thing to do.
Speaker 7: I don't want to.
Speaker 5: I don't want to make it seem like it's just simple. You can just go and just change your whole offense in a week. But I do think if it were me, I would be like, at this point in the season where you are, he'd be worth a shot for me.
Speaker 7: You know I agree?
Speaker 5: All right, real quick, before we end the show, I did have one more question for you guys. What are some ideas some ways that maybe the Cowboys can look at getting Ced more involved When you have the challenges you have right now at wide, at quarterback, he is your best offensive player.
Speaker 2: How can you get him more involved in the.
Speaker 4: Game quick, short routes, I think, especially against this defense, you know, there's opportunities for the drags like we said, and the crossers. I think, you know, short quick routes will get him in the mix and allow him to use his run for catchability. There were multiple times in that Eagles game. I think I mentioned earlier in the week he had a hell of a game against the Eagles, but Kooper rushes couldn't find him find There was multiple times where he got opened downfield. And there was one place specifically I think was the uh the fumble from ferguson correct Cooper rush mist a wide open CD Lamb on that play that probably would have gone for six and you kind of just see CD walk to the sideline after the fumble and just like you know, like it's it's one of those. So you got to keep CD engaged a and I think you do that with short, quick routes. I think he's approaching an NFL record of four or more receptions to start a career, or four more consecutive games with four and more receptions. I think he only needs one more to match Michael Thomas for the NFL records. Something to keep an eye on there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think if they're gonna give you cushion, you're you're right about the quick stuff, you know, but some routes need to be down the field though, too. You know, you need to find a way to And I would say, okay, if they're gonna play a ton of man coverage, get in a bunch of bunch of formations and scatter and pick and do stuff like that. But if they're gonna give you cushion, you know, take advantage of that. Get the ball out quick, let it let it you know, let it fly. Hey, gain is six on first down is not a bad play. Gain is seven on first down not a bad play. But they're gonna need to they're gonna need several of those. Just can't get behind the change. But I can say if they were playing a ton of man coverage, that would be my adjustment. Would get in a bunch of formations, scatter that stuff, run picks for him, make these texts, and defensive backs have to run through trash. But you know, we'll see how it plays. I just feel like it's going to be Lamb will probably be able to get open and do what he needs to do. I worry about the others' that's what? And and can Cooper Rush know when he needs to go to Lamb and not the others in this football game?
Speaker 8: I think, Yeah, it's more being on the same page. And hopefully an extra week of this in preparation will help towards that. And again, also, it's gonna be nighttime. It's a night game.
Speaker 7: There's no sun.
Speaker 2: What about the moon?
Speaker 8: The moon is not gonna blind you.
Speaker 6: Ceedee Lamb.
Speaker 4: He has recorded at least four receptions and forty two consecutive games, the second longest such streaking NFL history. Only Michael Thomas with forty three games, has a longer streak, so he can match that streak this week.
Speaker 7: Four catches for twenty eight yards.
Speaker 6: That's kind of how it was last week.
Speaker 2: Six catches for twenty eight years.
Speaker 9: All iright.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you guys doing us.
Speaker 5: We'll be back on tomorrow and we'll give you a breakdown, the final breakdown of Cowboys versus Texans that will happen Monday night till then.
Speaker 8: For your care, I.
Speaker 5: Will not be here, but these guys will hold it down. I'm sure Am will have a great game for you guys and yet anytime. But I'll be back with you guys on Tuesday. We won't have any shows on Monday because it's game day, but we'll be back on Tuesday. We'll tell you what all went right and wrong on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Till then.
Speaker 5: For Nick Harris, Brian brought us an Amber Garcia. I'm Derek Eaglean. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.