Speaker 1: Gampsy Media Large.
Speaker 2: Okay, Rory, we have reached literally the final stretch. I can see the finish line and that little man waving the checkered flag. This is your final recap what happened last week.
Speaker 3: Last week we got to find out the sentencing of all these guilty people, Mike and Steve and David and Michelle and Kelly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it was kind of interesting to get to know where everybody ended up in what their sentencing was, and also how they kind of reacted and felt about it. And I have to say, true to form of everybody who we've heard, they all seem to kind of be okay with it. They definitely went through a hard time, and maybe these interviews are so far after getting released from prison that they're a little more optimistic, But they all just kind of seemed to be like, Yeah, I went to jail and it was like this, as opposed to deeply devastated by it.
Speaker 2: I feel like I would not have that react.
Speaker 3: I would not at all. I would be changed forever, probably for the worst.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: They do all seem to have come out with better perspective.
Speaker 2: Agreed, it's a lesson for all of us. Yeah, And on that note, I'm proud to hand it off to Johnny knox Hill one more time for the finale of Crimeless Hillbilly Heis Episode eight, Let's Go.
Speaker 5: By February of nineteen ninety nine, David and the rest of the heist crew are all locked away in prison, but the government is still working on vacuuming up all the scattered money in all of its forms. So the fans hold an auction at the Metrolena Expo Center in Charlotte, North Carolina to sell off all of Steven Michelle's crazy purchases and give the money back to Loomis Fargo and its insurance company. Because no one needs a cash infusion more than a giant corporation and its insurance company, the public comes and droves to get their chance in owning a piece of sweet contraband. They're joined by local reporters and TV crews from the national networks.
Speaker 2: The federal government held an auction in Charlotte, North Carolina. Some of the items purchased with the stolen money.
Speaker 6: Some are here just to see what seventeen million dollars can buy.
Speaker 7: They're looking for a steal.
Speaker 5: Even People Magazine is in attendance, and of course a social event in the Charlotte area would not be complete without the Mayor of Cramerton, Kathy with the Sea, and their best friend and neighbor.
Speaker 7: Kathy with a k Here's Kathy with the Sea.
Speaker 8: It was a very festive, upbeat party type setting and his concession foods sold and everybody spent the day just watching everything get get auctioned off.
Speaker 7: But the Kathys weren't here just to spectate.
Speaker 5: They wanted their own piece of the true luxury, the kind that could only be picked by the discerning eyes of Steve and Michelle Chambers. This was a chance to own a piece of Gaston County history.
Speaker 8: There was a very large six or seven foot tall wooden Indian.
Speaker 7: There were tanning.
Speaker 8: Beds, luxury vehicles, furniture. Everybody wanted to get a little piece of the story to have to remind them of it.
Speaker 7: And Kathy with the Case's husband wanted more than just a piece of history. He was a victim too and was at the auction to demand his own restitution. You see, the FBI had.
Speaker 5: A sneaking suspicion that the Chambers had more stolen cash buried somewhere on their property, probably a fair gas. So they borrowed Kathy with the Case's husband's trusty shovel to dig around for the loop, and despite the FBI's status as upstanding citizens, they never gave it back.
Speaker 9: So when he knew that there was going to be a you know, auction, He's like, I'm going to go and get my shovel back.
Speaker 5: But sadly, Kathy with the case husband was undone.
Speaker 7: By his own pride, Bobby wasn't gonna bit on it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he didn't.
Speaker 6: He thought they should give it back to him, the FBI, but they they wouldn't, so I don't know how much they got for.
Speaker 7: It, but the Kathy's refused to go home empty handed.
Speaker 8: I bought a sideboard table that is in my fourrier.
Speaker 4: I got a platter.
Speaker 9: Oh that's right, I didn't buy a platter.
Speaker 5: Michelle's BMW went for less than market value, but a bona fide Steve Chambers money storage barrel made of the finest blue plastic, with all of the cash and dog food cleaned out of it, went for more than one thousand bucks. The FEDS had already sold off Stephen Michelle's mansion, but not before removing the and prize of the auction, the Peace Day Resistance. That's right, the velvet Elvis painting. It's sold to the owner of a pawnshop for sixteen hundred dollars. Sixteen hundred dollars really, and so the bounty of the heist was dispersed among the people of Gaston County and the nation. But the legend of the heist was just beginning from SmartLess media, campsite media, and big money players in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. I'm Johnny Knoxville, and you're listening to Crime List.
Speaker 7: Bill Billy Heist. This is our eighth and final episode. Come up and other reference.
Speaker 5: There's a saying David Gant used to hear growing up in Gaston County.
Speaker 6: Sometimes you have to put legs on your prayers.
Speaker 5: Putting legs on your prayers means sometimes you have to do the dirty work on behalf of the angels. Like let's say you're a security guard with a dead end job and a failing marriage and what you really need is a new start in life. Well, you do what you got to do and hope that the ends justify the means, or if it goes poorly, your prayer legs might wind up pacing around a jail cell.
Speaker 6: I'm a dreamer, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
Speaker 5: But what happens when you get out of jail in your thirties and still have a bunch of dreams in your head but also have a criminal record, not to mention a national reputation, is someone liable to get massive revenge on any employer who screws you over. David's not starting from zero, He's starting from way less than zero if you count the four million dollars in restitution eos. David's winning combo of likability and good behavior saw him released on parole after serving just over five years of a seven and a half year sentence. After growing up in North Carolina and going on to commit the crime of the Century in North Carolina and serving his entire sentence in a federal prison in North Carolina, David knew he needed a change of scenery.
Speaker 6: Too many memories, too many codefendants, too many questions from nosy people. I wanted to start over clean, start fresh.
Speaker 5: And what better way to start fresh than to limit your time on the Earth's surface as much as possible.
Speaker 6: And I had this bizarre notion becoming a professional scuba diver. It's crazy, not real off on.
Speaker 5: Out, But there was a school for that in Jacksonville, Florida.
Speaker 7: So that's where David wound up.
Speaker 6: It's hot, it's humid. Every puddle of water you encounter probably has a reptile of some sort in it. You get used to the summers, you know, it grows on you, and after a while it becomes very, very normal. You don't notice the heat as bad, and you get used to it.
Speaker 5: Life after prison is difficult in all kinds of ways, some of them surprising.
Speaker 6: One of the unique things about being in prison you become what you call buggy. I would hoard salt and pepper packets, and I would have stashes of stuff hidden in my room. One of the things I found myself doing was doing an early morning count. I would just be up the prescribed time, stand beside my bed like a moron, and one day it slapped me in the face. Why am I still doing prison crap?
Speaker 5: Tammy was out of the picture by this point. She divorced David while he was in prison, which even he understands. But David got back to rebuilding his life. He managed to find a job running a bulldozer for a construction company.
Speaker 7: Steady work with steady hours.
Speaker 5: Not the kind of pascal he'd hoped for when he was in his twenties and trying to live up to his parents, but it was a real career, just like his dad had. And then the biggest piece of the puzzle came into place. He fell in love and got married to a woman named Christy.
Speaker 6: She helped me break the being buggy cycle. She started teaching me about technology, and you know, like the good mother that she is, she kind of took me by my hands said, listen, that's how computers kind of work. Now, this is what's changed, and we've just been together ever since.
Speaker 5: The budget for The American Dream was considerably tighter than he had hoped, but he kept going for it.
Speaker 6: I've got a dollar named Belatricks, and you know she's my heart.
Speaker 5: If you like me, assumed that David must be a Harry Potter fan, you like me, would be wrong. That's not where he got Bellatrix. She's named after the third brightest star in the Orion constellation, which was named six centuries before your favorite movie franchise came about so there.
Speaker 7: For the most part, David was glad to have his old life.
Speaker 6: In the rear view, I remember getting a letter from Kelly in prison, and what did she say. This is where my memory gets a little screw because it's not to me, it's not an important event. I think she found Jesus and she apologized, and I don't mean her any harm, but I don't. I didn't care then, and if you had been my real friend, you never need to apologize. I don't hate her. I don't hate any of them, you know, but I think there's a part of me that I'll always kind of hold a grudge that their first thought was this dude's got to die. And I can't help but contact that personally. Well, if I'm wrong in comment.
Speaker 5: Below, I gotta say, David, I don't blame you. But then, almost fifteen years after the heist, Hollywood came calling.
Speaker 6: So this guy calls me up, says we want to make a movie about your story. I tell him to f off. I hang up on him.
Speaker 5: But instead of affing off the Hollywood big wigs persist, David talks with the director, the guy who directed Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Lebra and suddenly the whole thing starts to feel more and more real.
Speaker 6: He's like, Zach Galifanakis wants to meet you, would you mind flying out here for Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: Zach Galafanakis ended up playing David in the comedy movie called Masterminds, which garnered an all star comedy cast including Owen Wilson, Kristen Wig, Jason Sedakis, and Kate McKinnon, and was released in the summer of twenty sixteen in theaters across the globe.
Speaker 2: This is a tough shelf disguise.
Speaker 9: I look like if Jesus and Cat had a baby, which is a nice thought too, you know.
Speaker 5: And David's daughter got to go on set and be treated like a jillionaire heiress.
Speaker 6: And the catering people. I had a special Beltrick's shelf with me and cheese and her little snacks.
Speaker 5: David got paid to consult on the movie and was fine with the idea of them turning his life story into slapstick.
Speaker 6: And then next thing you know, I'm in La from the Chinese Theater in Hollywood at a premiere on the red carpet with true famous people's movie stars, and I got to meet all kinds of people, you know, big people up from the movie business, and just it's kind of overwhelming.
Speaker 5: David's even got new celebrity friends.
Speaker 6: I still stay in touch with Zach. I'm kind of hit and miss. But one of his favorite things to do is if he's traveling in an armored car drives by him, he'll think of me and he'll usually send me a text or a picture.
Speaker 5: Kelly said goodbye to Camp Cupcake in two thousand and four, having served just over five years.
Speaker 9: When I was getting ready to leave prison, there was one of the guards said, you'll be back. They all come back. I said, I'll tell you right now, I'll never be back. Oh, they all come back.
Speaker 5: But Kelly was determined not to come back. Instead, she returned to her home in Gaston County. It looked a lot different than when she left before she was arrested. She put in new wood paneling a way to upgrade the house that was more discreet than say, buying a mansion. But once the FBI got inside, they found the new wall suspicious.
Speaker 9: They had ripped the paneling off the walls because they thought maybe I was hiding money in the walls of the trailer.
Speaker 7: Thanks guys.
Speaker 5: Anyway, Kelly had found the lord and kicked the devil's let us while she was in prison. Now she was ready to get on with her life.
Speaker 9: I didn't let the millions of dollar restitution hang over my head and fred over that for the rest of my life. I just kind of got on with my life. My kids didn't hold anything against me, which was fantastic. Tried to rebuild relationships with them.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 5: Kelly was locked up, her mother and her husband Spanky, worked to take care of her kids. After she got out. She tried to make the marriage work, but it just didn't. She ended up getting divorced.
Speaker 9: Me and my first husband didn't make it, but I found love somewhere else, and we were doing pretty good. We've got five grandkids and we were running a business, our own business, and thanks for going good.
Speaker 5: Kelly and her husband run a wealthy and construction business, which pays the bills and avoids a kind of relationship with your job that makes you want to rob the place.
Speaker 9: If you're working from somebody else, you're never going to get anywhere. You're just going to stay writing the rut that you're in, and the only person getting rich and getting better is the person you're working for.
Speaker 5: Running your own business does keep Kelly close to her one remaining vice.
Speaker 9: Well, I still love money and I'll take all I can get. I do my husband sometimes I'm like, why are you paying so and so to do that? I can do that. You know I'm greedy. He's like, I know you're greedy.
Speaker 5: But don't worry. She's got her cravings in check.
Speaker 9: I mean, I wouldn't rob a bank again. But yeah, I mean, I do love money, but I love my kids more and my grandkids more. But I can have more fun with them with more money.
Speaker 5: Kelly didn't participate in the movie about her story. She was played by Kristin Wig.
Speaker 8: Two lovers on the Lamb in Mexico.
Speaker 9: You know they say, the beach is there. They're life like powdered sugar. Just rub each other all day with coconut juices.
Speaker 5: Instead, she and her husband just waited for it to come out and watched it at the drive in, which apparently still exist.
Speaker 9: They didn't portray me as stupidly as they portrayed the other characters in it, so I wasn't really displeased.
Speaker 5: You might think a Christian ex bank robber would run into a lot of judgment. But most people Kelly meets are actually cool.
Speaker 9: It was either like you're my hero or I can't believe I'm meeting you. Will you sign my autograph?
Speaker 5: And life is A famous grandmother has its perks.
Speaker 9: That's what my oldest granddaughter says. Her friend's say, well, bet your grandma so cool, I'd like to meet her. I did call a radio station one time because they were looking for famous people. I can't remember what it was all about now, I don't know why, but I called him. I said, what about infamous people? They didn't take my call and put it on the radio.
Speaker 5: Other than the occasional run in with her fan base, Kelly doesn't think about the heist much anymore, although having stuck around North Carolina, she has had a couple of chance encounters over the years. Steve's still around, and he's apparently traded being a wanna be mafia kingpin into shopping for bargains.
Speaker 9: I ran into him in a dollar tree, him and his mom one day after I'd got out. We talked briefly, not much, and I've not ran into him since then.
Speaker 7: As for Michelle, once I.
Speaker 9: Ran into her in a grocery store one time. But I don't think she's seen me, because when I seen her, I went the other way. It's like, what do you even say to each other? So I'd rather just not talk to her.
Speaker 5: As I said in the first episode, Steve and Michelle declined to speak to us, but we know that they divorced, and we know that Steve got really into lifting weights in prison and now owns his own gym. As for Michelle Chambers, like all good x cons looking to turn over a new leaf, she's living under an alias, so it was no mean feat to track her down. Sources say that she's quietly living the country life as a goat farmer. Mike mckinnie's feelings on Steve have mellowed over the decades.
Speaker 10: I personally just.
Speaker 4: Thought he was a piece of trash for what he did, for coughing up people that weren't caught yet.
Speaker 5: Maybe not, but he and Steve got out of prison about the same time and went their separate ways, Steve back to North Carolina and Mike back to Illinois.
Speaker 4: I'm just really glad we we live so far apart where we'd go, had no chance of us running into each other.
Speaker 5: Mike's experience in prison was decidedly different from Camp Cupcake. He had trouble trying to figure out how to cross the street when he got out. It had been nearly a decade since he had to navigate traffic, and he wasn't used to getting to go outside whenever he felt like it.
Speaker 4: It just feels weird whenever you're actually at your house that I can actually go outside my front door anytime I want to.
Speaker 10: Just sit on my porch.
Speaker 5: Yet life on the outside wasn't necessarily easier.
Speaker 4: You still have to grind whether you're locked up or out here. It just you have different priorities. Inside. You're more worried about your physical safety. Out here it's a bigger grind because then you have a more stress actually finances and such like that. Putting everything back together is still an ongoing process.
Speaker 5: Mike mckennie's a lot of things, X con ex marine hit man, but also a family man.
Speaker 4: But the biggest regret is while you're locked up. My big one was kids grown up without me. I basically just stayed in touch with my kids as much as I could write them once a week, maybe get to call them once a week.
Speaker 5: He didn't see his kids for four years after he went to prison, and didn't see them regularly for nine years while he still had his hands on the money before he got himself locked up. Life wasn't all pham parties, hookers and murder plots. He also did a family vacation.
Speaker 4: The most enjoyable thing I spent any of the money on was actually taking my daughters to the Bahamas for vacation.
Speaker 7: They had one hell of a law Christmas together.
Speaker 4: I actually hired a stretch Limo to drive up from Evansville, picked me and my daughters and I think one or two of my buddies up and we drove down to the mall that's when they still had actually malls, and I let them pick out whatever they wanted for Christmas. And then we actually picked up a ferret along the way.
Speaker 5: Not just any ferret, a high class ferret.
Speaker 4: And I think it is probably the first and only time a ferret ever ridden in next trench Limo.
Speaker 5: Today is kids call them pops and cherish them with pride. Mike is also played by a super famous movie star.
Speaker 10: Jason Sadaka's played me.
Speaker 4: All I can say is at least at least they got somebody close to my size.
Speaker 5: Actually, Mike likes Jason Sadakas. It's just that his portrayal of Mike is a bit sinister.
Speaker 2: That's where I've take his life.
Speaker 11: I like to take it.
Speaker 6: That ain't your life no more. It's my life, my life.
Speaker 5: And if you're wondering who the lovable family man hero of this story is, there's only one answer. Unfortunately, according to Mike, Hollywood got it wrong.
Speaker 4: Well, first thing they were off on was how Gant was the hero of the movie.
Speaker 10: That was the first thing he got wrong.
Speaker 5: Mike was apparently more comfortable with his depiction in Jeff Diamond's book about the heist.
Speaker 4: He sent me two autographed copies for my daughters and uh my oldest daughter actually did a book report on that book on the heist in school.
Speaker 5: Like many celebrity x almost assassins, Mike has a complicated love life.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I pick crazy women or if I make them crazy.
Speaker 10: So yeah, it's one of those things.
Speaker 7: And a taste for exotic pets.
Speaker 4: It was only about maybe a two foot baby alligator.
Speaker 10: His name was mister happy Face.
Speaker 4: I actually kept him in the bathtub, just put the stopper in. Let a little water in that by the drain end, and go to take a shower of that day, pull out the gaters, take him on the floor, take your.
Speaker 10: Shower and put him back in there, and buddies come over. We'll be drinking.
Speaker 4: And if you didn't know anybody, you go in and it was a small bathroom. It's an old claw foot tub. The toilet's like right next to it. You go in there, all of a sudden you get a little baby gater just hissing at you.
Speaker 5: And if mister happy face didn't kill the mood for potential love interests, he's got back up.
Speaker 4: Both the venomous snakes and the alligator in the bathtub, both romance crushers. I still have a few translats too. I have that way about me.
Speaker 10: I guess it's.
Speaker 7: A lot to get pasted on a dating profile.
Speaker 5: Must be in the deadly Snakes, giant spires, a tubgator, and former thwarted assassins. But with experience comes wisdom, and Mike has a lot of it by now.
Speaker 10: If I could give my younger self advice.
Speaker 4: As soon as Steve offered that contract to me, I'd take the money up front, turn around and leave with it.
Speaker 10: I'd tell my younger self to do.
Speaker 4: Turn and burn on him, take the money and run, crossing the dawn of Don Steve the big Cheese Chambers seems like a risk not worth taking. They must not have known too many hit men because they'd hired me for the other contract, So it wasn't that big of.
Speaker 10: A threat, was it. I mean, how many hitmen did they actually know?
Speaker 5: Maybe Mike shouldn't be so confident in his ability to fly with his money and his life. Not with FBI agent John Widra on the case. The dude took his job pretty seriously.
Speaker 11: There are a lot of people in jail that thought they were smarter than me. And I've never lost a case in twenty three years. I got one hundred percent conviction, right, So I just liked it.
Speaker 10: I enjoyed the job.
Speaker 7: Obsession might be a fair word.
Speaker 11: I remember writing an Affidavid in the hospital room while my wife was in labor, like that's that's how into this job I was.
Speaker 5: But for all his righteous fury, Widra is sympathetic to the high screw to a point.
Speaker 11: They're not generally accepted. They're looked down upon as being from Gastonia. They didn't participate in the American Dream, so you know, in some ways it was fed to them. And think this just made logical sense to this gang to move on and do this, And it's also wild.
Speaker 10: They're still proud.
Speaker 11: But I see no reason that anyone should have to steal like that from anyone just because you started out with nothing. I'm really actually quite tired of this victim mentality in this country where I don't have something and you do, so I'm the victim. You can get out and work for it if you if you work hard, you can get there. Stephen Michelle could have made money, I mean, and they could have made it legitimately I had I started with nothing like I started with debt. I was the first person to get through college.
Speaker 10: In my family.
Speaker 11: So I'm not interested in hearing this story about like wo is me. I was born in a trailer and I can't I can't make it. That's that's just not true.
Speaker 5: Now retired from the FBI, Widra tries to never It's been more than ten days at a time in one.
Speaker 7: Place sounds exhausting.
Speaker 5: He's living the dream, but with all this time on his hands, does he relate somewhat to the freedom David was chasing.
Speaker 11: It's liberating not having anybody telling you what to do or influencing you where to be. You know, if I want to get up and leave now, I'll get up and leave. I could be in London by tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Settle down, John.
Speaker 11: So you know, and I've done that. I've been somewhere and the wife calls and says, I got a really good deal on a cruise. I changed your flight. You're flying into Fort Lauderdale. I'll see you there.
Speaker 5: Wydro's life now is actually pretty much the Jimmy Buffett fancy David Gant was dreaming about in the Bank vault.
Speaker 11: Nightlife for me starts at four pm and ends at seven pm.
Speaker 5: Okay, not exactly, but still. He has an inspirational message for the heist crew, pining for retirement.
Speaker 11: Well, you know what, I've given up a lot of happiness over my life to save and to generate that. And that's the way I describe it. You know, it's happiness is a currency, and you spend it or you waste it, and you can spend it on the wrong things.
Speaker 7: But as fate would have it, while the.
Speaker 5: Team was recording these interviews at a lake house on the border of North and South Carolina. Something very right happened. At the exact moment that Wider was standing up to leave, David Gant was arriving fresh off a plane from Jacksonville, Florida. The good vibes were just radiating everywhere, so we just had to reunite the former g man to the former thief.
Speaker 6: What's so, John, I'm seeing you? And how long?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 5: You can tell David's not nervous at all. He's quick to point out that he's gainfully employed.
Speaker 6: Pretty good, pretty good deals, not never get rich off of it. It's kept rufe overhead. Yeah, honest work.
Speaker 11: Did you paid your debt?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No hard feelings, no.
Speaker 6: And I've looked at towards you guys the same you. You're just doing your job. You did the best job you could and you know, I appreciate that you were timely and not rude about it, not mean about it.
Speaker 2: It's not personal.
Speaker 5: No, just two guys reminiscing about old times.
Speaker 7: Is it just me? Or is this heartwarming? A smitche awkward, but heartwarming.
Speaker 11: I heard today that Kelly apologized for I apologize to you Becca back in the day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I shouldn't hold I wouldn't call it a grudge.
Speaker 5: But they were.
Speaker 6: They voted me right off the island. I'm never going to put you.
Speaker 10: Off the planet.
Speaker 5: David has said he does recognize that he might be dead were not for the FBI.
Speaker 6: Because if my co conspirators had been even reasonably competent, I'm glad they're not, or weren't, I wouldn't be here.
Speaker 2: No, you almost weren't.
Speaker 7: Wydro wonders if David has learned his lesson.
Speaker 2: So you still think you'd do it again.
Speaker 6: I think I would have to do it again, but I probably do it alone.
Speaker 11: She shouldn't taken the money.
Speaker 6: Read I should have taken the money.
Speaker 7: Okay, maybe not.
Speaker 6: You're retired now.
Speaker 2: I'm retired.
Speaker 6: Awesome, I'm done.
Speaker 11: Hundred people down.
Speaker 6: Congratulations, thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 11: Well, David, it was nice to meet you. Yeah, good luck to you, to your family. You handle the money at the house, No, now.
Speaker 6: I let the wife handle that. Yeah she knows, she knows, Yeah, she knows. I got impulses.
Speaker 5: David Gant was only rich for fifteen to twenty minutes. If you think about it, he had seventeen point three million dollars for the time it took to drive a stolen Loomis Fargo van. I was down the highway and then became pretty close to broke again as soon as he left the keys with his co conspirators.
Speaker 6: It was either a Hell's angel or Ben Franklin said, three can keep a secret of two dead, and I wish I'd known.
Speaker 7: That then, But still he doesn't have many regrets.
Speaker 6: Philosophically, If I change what I did, I don't end up where I'm at now, And I really like where I ended.
Speaker 5: Up, even the whole my partners were trying to kill me thing as its benefits.
Speaker 6: I think that there was a plot to kill me enhances the joy I have for the life I have.
Speaker 5: I really like David Gann, and speaking as a person who used to be at war with himself, I'm glad he's found peace.
Speaker 6: Where I live. Not greatest, not the best, but it's a house filled with love.
Speaker 5: It took saying goodbye to everything he'd ever known, but he managed to find the life he always wanted.
Speaker 6: If I had to give advice to my younger self, I would tell him pay attention to your instincts and don't give in to your impulses as much. And don't play basketball in prison because you'll tear your acl.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to Crimeless Hillbilly Heist.
Speaker 10: This was our.
Speaker 5: Final episode, and David, I'm going to michiea. Kelly not so much. Actually, I'm glad you're doing good Kelly.
Speaker 2: So Rory. This is like the episode equivalent of those cards that pop up at the end of the movies where you see what happened to everyone? Yeah, and they're stolen goods. Yep. I love that the Kathys bought a souvenir.
Speaker 3: The Kathy's are their own TV show, They are their own spinoff, The Kathys. This auction seems bizarre to me. I don't know how much all the money that Steven Michelle spent Slash hid, but I can't imagine an auction of all these goods puts puts a lot of that money back in your pocket. Maybe it does, I don't know. I would assume that a lot of people coming to an auction are just not coming out to spend that kind of money on these kind of items. But again, maybe maybe when you mark something down ten thousand dollars from sixty thousand. You're happy that you got fifty thousand back.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I kind of want to attend an FBI auction.
Speaker 10: I would love to.
Speaker 3: You never asked me to do anything outside of this job, and I feel like this could be our first big outing. We'll both have microphones on it. We'll play by play the whole thing live, live stream it.
Speaker 2: Our hero David Gampt, he has a happy ending of sorts, and I feel like Scuba Instructor is a perfect outcome for him.
Speaker 3: It is, It is a perfect outcome. I get it ending up in Jacksonville one hundred percent, get it, the fact that they made a movie about this. But I gotta say, biggest surprise of all the FBI agent Wydra, just John Widra, just going off about what he thinks about people working their way up in their lives. It was the darkest I felt about him when he's like, everyone can work hard and make it, and I just I want to be like, I don't know that that's entirely I'm not saying go commit crimes, but I don't know that we're all in a position to just succeed in the same way, which is why, as I stated early on in this series, I fully understand why everybody decided to steal seventeen million dollars, the fact that they did it from a major company that's ensured. Johnny Knoxville made his own joke about it during the episode, but he's right, these are who are you really taking this money from? And it's all because you got so tired of the life that you were given. You wanted to do something else. And it's not like these people are just given the opportunity to go have some kind of other life. Yes, I guess they could all work harder or find their way out, but there's also a little bit of an allusion to that you're not going to become a CEO of a company just because you worked hard, exactly, I think.
Speaker 2: Well, but it was very like federal agent mindset.
Speaker 3: Of course, yes, very black and white about everything, which is John, that's John Wydra's that's just him at his core.
Speaker 2: But I loved it.
Speaker 3: I love that they I love that Galifanakis keeps in touch with him. I love that Zach will send him pictures of the trucks whenever he sees the Armored armored trucks as a bit. I think that's hilarious. And I love that Michelle owns a goat farm somewhere.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: I love that David never wrote back to Kelly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, David. He finally grew up and said now we're done. It took him a while to say we're done. And even though she had sort of said we're definitely done when she tried to have him professionally killed, he finally accepted it.
Speaker 2: I feel like I got to talk about Mike and the great time he had with the heist money during that short Periodny had it.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you what this is what kind of burns my biscuits. And I know you said, don't use that kind of language on these shows, but what burns my biscuits about this whole thing is that Mike wasn't given the chance to go to trial. And for some reason, I feel like if he could have gone to trial and told people what he did with his money and his daughters, that would have warmed some people's hearts to probably not have him receive an as extreme of a sentence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he took his daughter to the Bahamas. He got a stretched limo for them. And their friends.
Speaker 3: It just seemed like he was more selfless about it, the guy who the guy who talks a big game with hookers and coke and hot tubs. Can I just say also, and this is a previous episode for sure, but I love that talked about doing coke off hookers asses and then he goes, can't say I ever did.
Speaker 1: That Just felt so just so wholesome about the strangest topics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he turns out to be like almost as amazing as David.
Speaker 3: I think, so. I actually would like to see the two of them together. I'd like to see the two of them in the Kathy spinoff. And maybe, honestly, what we're talking about is Laverne and Shirley at the end of the.
Speaker 2: Day, they definitely have Laverne and Shirley energy. I also loved I feel like I got to mention David's advice to his younger self, which is, don't give into your impulses and don't play basketball in prison. She'll terryor acl.
Speaker 3: That's honestly, the moment David mentions that you're like I that might be the only thing he's hung up on about this entire heist, Like, don't give into your impulses.
Speaker 7: He doesn't say, hey, don't rob people.
Speaker 3: Even when he meets John Wydra.
Speaker 7: He says, I would do it again.
Speaker 3: That's how likable he is, because he's that level of honest.
Speaker 2: Any final takeaways or lessons for you, Rory that we should impart to the crime lest nation? What should people? What should the takeaway be for this show?
Speaker 3: Well, I've recently started working at a Loomis Fargo, and I've obviously I'm not gonna do what I intended to do. And why, like why I got the job in the first place, I don't know. I think if you're gonna steal money, lay low for about five years before you decide to do anything with it, launder it as best as you can be better, be better as a criminal that you could have they could have gotten. I don't think they would have ever gotten away with this, because there are too many cooks in the kitchen, but I think they could have done a little bit better. I think David Gant on his own could have stolen less money and probably never left the country and probably gotten away with it. That I genuinely believe that.
Speaker 2: Well, you're right about the lay low for five years I believe in episode one was that Kelly even said she heard that after two years, the FBI considers it a cold case. And yet nobody could even wait two weeks.
Speaker 3: No one could wait two weeks before buying a mansion.
Speaker 2: And a BMW and boom. All right, well that was a lot of fun. We should do this more often.
Speaker 3: We should. In fact, why don't we do it weekly?
Speaker 2: That's such a great idea. Yeah. So, if you enjoyed listening to Rory and me talk about dumb criminals, I have a surprise for you every week, a new story or more. Starting next week, Crimeless the Weekly where Rory will call in from his globe trotting comedy adventures and make jokes about dumb guys.
Speaker 8: That's right.
Speaker 2: Smash that follow button, folks, and spread the word because Crimeless has coming your way next week in this channel. And I also want to say a quick thanks to Johnny Knoxville, who did an amazing job as an area almost like I couldn't imagine anyone else doing it. I don't know how you felt were I loved it. I thought Johnny was great.
Speaker 3: It was a great storytelling. Everyone did an incredible job putting this together.
Speaker 7: Crimeless.
Speaker 5: Hill Billy Heist is a production of SmartLess Media, camp Side Media and Big Money Players in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. Bill Billy Heist is narrated by Johnny Knoxville and created by Liz Elkington and Stuart Bailey. Written by Michael Kenyon Meyer with Liz Elkington and Stuart Bailey, Produced by Lane Rose and Sierra Franco.
Speaker 7: Additional production help by Rajeev Gola.
Speaker 5: The series was sound designed and mixed by ewin Ly Tremwen, fact checking by Gray Lanta and a special thanks to our operations team Doug Slaywyn, Ashley Warren, Sabina Mara and Destiny Dingle. iHeart Podcasts and Big Money Players. Executive producers are Jack O'Brien, Lindsay Hoffman, and Matt Appadeca. Campside Media's executive producers are Josh Deen, Vanessa Grigoriatis, Adam hoff and Matt Cher. Executive producers are Liz Elkington and Stuart Bailey. From SmartLess Media, the producers are Will Arnett, Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Richard Corson. Bernie Kaminski is the head of Production. The associate producer is Mattie McCann.
Speaker 7: If you've enjoyed
Speaker 5: Crime Less Hillbilly Hies, please rate and review the show wherever you get your podcasts.