Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes David Cross July twenty fourth and twenty fifth, Then catch Jeff Allen July thirtieth through August first, and don't miss Zanab Johnson August seventh and eighth. Comedy Up Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty nine years later. For tickets called eight five nine two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Up Broadway dot com co off Byway.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage and the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Safe Summer Driving Tour.
Speaker 3: Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Welcome into Kentucky Sports Radio. It is Thursday, July twenty third, a beautiful morning here in the Bluegrass. You can give us a call eight five nine to eight oh twenty two eighty seven. Today show, as always, brought to you by the Tjsmith Law Office. You call TJ. He's gonna make him pay. And know your ears are not deceiving you. A new voice come your way this morning. My name is Maggie Davis. You normally see me weeknights at seven thirty on BBN, tonight on l EX eighteen syndicated all over the state, and on Saturday mornings on BBN Game Day. But for the next two hours or so, I'm juiced to be back with you again this morning, the place where it all began for me. KSR gave me my start in this industry ten years ago as an intern, and now this morning I'm sitting in the big chair filling in for Matt Jones for the second time ever. Yes, yeah, I've done this time. Thank you. Today's show gonna be fun because you just heard them. The experts in the house, Drew Franklin, Ryan LeMond, Mario is still hanging out to Shannon, the dude I think is in Louisville Coues. Yes, awesome, whole gang. I'm so excited the real crew.
Speaker 5: Has it been ten years?
Speaker 4: Jack and I did that math Unfortunately last time Jack and I hosted the show a couple of weeks ago, and yes, we got hired as interns in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 5: That feels like three years ago.
Speaker 4: I was thinking about that during your conversation yesterday about feeling old, and I was like, ooh, I don't want to make it worse, but it was ten years ago when you interviewed me.
Speaker 6: Over at the dorm at UK. Aren't you still in high school? Right out of high school?
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 4: I think I'd probably lied on my resume that I was still in high school, but I was going into my freshman year at UK, and it was open to college freshmen or college students. It was probably juniors and seniors. But it worked out. You guys gave me a chance. I appreciated that.
Speaker 6: And look at you now in the big chair. We're excited to have you today.
Speaker 7: My earliest Maggie Davis memory is you on the ESPN commercial.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was a good one.
Speaker 7: That was a good one with.
Speaker 5: Dame Lillard, right, yes, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: The funniest part of that story was I was actually sitting somewhere else. So I was an intern for KSR. Of course, I was an intern for ESPN that summer out in Los Angeles, and so we had heard that they were going to shoot this this is Sports Center commercial with Damian Lillard, and they offered all the interns a chance to be a quote unquote extra, and they said we could basically not work for the day if we could go hang out and be an extra in this shoot with no promise of like making the commercial. The first six hours of the shoot, I was completely somewhere else would not have been seen at all. And the person they had sitting where I ultimately sat was wearing red, and then they decided that she was too noticeable and people might pay wow. And I was much more blending in and I was wearing blue and white of course I represent And so last minute I got moved into that seat perfect and got to sit there and talk to Damian Lillard, and last hour very prominent.
Speaker 7: You see you through the whole commerce, well not the ol commerce were very obviously who you are in the commercial.
Speaker 4: And I had nothing to do but sit there, and I would just scroll on KSR and I always look to see if you can see my computer because I always think it would be funny if you could kind of see.
Speaker 7: See Drew's face pop up.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, the old website probably now at this point that was probably twenty nineteen, but yeah, that was a good memory. My first Ryan Lemon story is l e X eighteen Ryan Lemmon, because obviously that's where I work now.
Speaker 7: It's right when did you leave. I left in two thousand and seven, okay, almost ten years, twenty years ago. My mask not real good, But yeah, the sports department is much different today than it was back when I was.
Speaker 4: Yes, we are nine strong and that, but some of that is obviously. We do BBN Tonight. It's a half hour show, six days a week. It's a lot of content to fill and l e X eighteen just acquired ABC thirty six, so we got Jeff Picorro in the house now, which adds a person which has been really fun too.
Speaker 5: I was watching Jeff last night. I kind of I saw them. I was like, oh, yeah, they merged, merged together.
Speaker 4: Everybody's still getting used to it, but we are one big, happy family. Nick Rausch gonna join us in a little bit too to talk SEC media days. He saw Jeff down in Tampa and was like, why is Jeff Piccorro holding a BBN Tonight Mike flag. But we're all together now and it's all good and getting ready for the show this week. I was thinking about all the different jobs you do when you work for KSR, Like even me as an intern, I did all kinds of stuff for the website and podcasting and the social media pages and all that fun stuff. But I did some really random stuff too. You guys have done this way longer than me. Any jobs you've had to do over the years for KSR that strike you as really random?
Speaker 5: Oh? All of them?
Speaker 4: I can go first, if you wan, Yeah, go ahead, Yeah, okay, I have two. One was when ks weall. They're both related to KSBAR because I think worked for KSRS and interns for three years at that point, maybe so, I think I was kind of build up a little equity, but I didn't have any restaurant experience. I was like a writer for the website, you know, a couple of days a week. Anyway, I end up picking out the carpet that you see up there in the office. What Maria and I went to like Carpet World or something like that, and we picked out all the carpet. So if you all liked it up there, you're welcome. And if you didn't, I'm really sorry because I was not qualified to do that. I was like twenty years old and I was like, this one looks good a car.
Speaker 7: I think one of my minute jobs is I picked up match dry cleaning a couple of times. Oh, nice took him to the dentist a couple one time, and no One's Boro and had to drive to Knoxville to pick him up at the airport one time during a snowstorm. So those usually my crazy KSR dude Mario had to go the Cincinnati airport to pick him up a couple of times at the time.
Speaker 5: In Knoxville, that's when they had like carry a fly at home, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it was the crafts and I think cal Perry and Matt were all in that flight from it was a hall of fame, I think, maybe think so. And the flight to Lexington got diverted to Knoxville because of a massive ice storm, so Matt had to get from Knoxville to election, so I drove down there to get him.
Speaker 4: The other random thing I did. And I was just telling someone the story the other day, like kind of off handedly, and she was like, this is the dumbest thing of what what do you mean you did that? But I interviewed chefs for ks Bar also as like a twenty year old. I was working for the website, and but I would work sitting up there at the counter, you know, at the bar or whatever, and nothing was open yet it was just where our little office was. I was helping do random stuff to get it open, and I remember, I don't know if it was Matt or somebody else, was like, we're gonna have some people coming in. I think the ideal was they would all be like waiters, waitresses, hosts, like I probably could have handled that a little better. But then someone came in wanting to apply to be the main cook, and so I had to come up with all kinds of questions to big you're out, Like what I was gonna do to recommend or not recommend this chef for a restaurant. Again, I had no experience doing that. I don't even know what I asked the poor guy, but I hope he left with a good experience. Said not one that was like, who was that child?
Speaker 7: Well, we hired him, you must have given him a good reference.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you hired him. Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 6: He's probably intimidated by you, Like what's her background? Yeah, she's asking me all these questions.
Speaker 4: Yes, No, I had no idea what was going on. I was like, so what do you make? I didn't have any like really great questions for him. So that was my most random KASR story. I think, Shannon, you have anything like that.
Speaker 2: Uh, what you guys are describing sounds like intern work, which I did a lot of, like for iHeart, but not necessarily KSR. But when you're the new guy at the radio station. And this was a long time ago, I'm dating myself here, twenty two, twenty three years ago. It was putting stickers on CDs because CDs, you know, we're still the thing back then, So it's it's putting the station logo sticker on the CDs and then going up and hanging like banners all over bars. That's that's the most random stuff I've done, but not a whole lot for KS.
Speaker 4: Though, Drew we said ten years ago, I was trying to remember what my first post was on KSR. I think I got hired in like May, early summer, and I wasn't really supposed to start until August, but I was just kind of itching to do something, and I went to Forecastle Rest in Peace in Louisville, and I just, I don't know why, but I took pictures of everyone I could find in some kind of Kentucky gear, probably without their consent or permission. I just took their picture and then I made a post of like Kentucky got in at Forecastle and that was it. And that was my first post. And they were like, you don't have to do this yet. I was like, I just wanted to have my first post, and I took like fifteen pictures of strangers at Forecastle and that was my first one. Do you remember your first article or radio appearance or anything.
Speaker 6: I remember my first articles because I was working at Tony Romas and I was just putting nonsense on the website. I wasn't even covering games yet. I remember in the early days talking about random things. I would like, I went to the Capitol a couple of times for press conferences that I don't even think were sports related, and I'm sitting there like, why am I at this in to the governor. I want to go home and make fun of Louisville. But you know, you just gover the job takes you. I remember when Maria and I interviewed you over at the dorm. Your resume was so good. I'm like nudging her under the table because we had separate piles. You know, Okay, there's like the hard no pile there was a few because we interviewed a lot of people.
Speaker 5: It was a whole day over there.
Speaker 6: And then you and Jack were like, yeah, let's just go and bank on those two right there because the interview.
Speaker 5: Was so good and so impressive.
Speaker 4: Well, I thank you.
Speaker 5: I've told the story before, but I remember you. What was your high school again, dunbar, dunbar.
Speaker 6: You were like, yeah, I run the scoreboard, I make PowerPoint presentations, I do the box score, I do the interviews, I do a video after the game.
Speaker 5: And I remember being like, you.
Speaker 6: Do do the jump ball too, Like you had done everything as a senior in high school. So it was an easy yes when you came through.
Speaker 4: It really was because I had convinced myself I was supposed to be a doctor. I really was like, I'm going to be an antithesiologist. That's what I want to do. That's dunbar. Lets you do half days your senior year, and so I applied for half days at like the Herald Leader and all kind of other like journalism things, and then one of my applications was at the hospital and that was the one I got, and I really enjoyed it. I had a great experience and I was like, well, I think that's what I'm going to do. So I went to UK actually on the pre med track, which's crazy now, and I was a biology major and I took one journalism class, but I didn't want to give up writing full time, so kind of my senior year of high school, I did all that crazy random stuff like the scoreboard and play by play, and I wrote the articles and the interviews. No jump ball. I would have loved that though, that I could have done it. I probably could have done that. That would have been a good time. But I was trying to like decide what I wanted to do with my life because I was eighteen and it felt like really serious and important at that time to decide. And I didn't really decide until I got my internship with KSR. And this is what showed me that I could turn this into a career and a job and kind of make a living wage. So that is ultimately what made me decide that I could do this, not just for fun. I really liked writing. I liked that I loved sports. I didn't really know how to combine them into a job. Never thought i'd be doing it on the radio, that's for sure. Ryan. How about you. You remember your first KSR days?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, you know. I came in. I was just a fill in, filling in from Mark Crabs and Aaron Johnson when they were doing the show with matth I was a fill in and I just never left. He brought me in. I was my first job ever in the medium. My first story there was a TV station in Owensborough doesn't even exist anymore, called Cable two News. My first story was on a cat that had six toes on each of its front paws. That was my first debut in a network news the.
Speaker 3: Six tode cat har topics.
Speaker 7: But in my stand up, I said, you know he has a hard time finding gloves these days. Give me five, I mean give me six. I killed it.
Speaker 4: We'll got you know, Oh Man, put this guy on breaking news. He's our most serious.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah. I had all the holidays Sat Patrick's Day, Valentine's Day, Christmas, Easter. They gave me all the holiday stories.
Speaker 6: When I started on the blog, I'd already been blogging for another website, so that wasn't new to me. But around twenty eleven we got KStV and I moved to Louisville and they had a TV producer that knew producing TV, but he knew nothing about sports. I remember at one point he was like, wait, the football teams the Wildcats, and the basketball teams the Wildcats, and I was like, yeah, it's pretty cool all the sports. So I was kind of working with him on helping with topics, whereas he knew how to actually produce a show. And I'd only been there a couple weeks and he had to call in sick one day or something. So They're about to take a thirty minute TV show. I don't know anything about TV. I'd never been to school for it. But they put me in front of the board with a headset and they're like, Drew, go to kyn one. And I'm like, I don't even know what a kiron is. And the keyboard in front of me doesn't have letters, it just has colors.
Speaker 5: I'm like, what do you all want me to do?
Speaker 6: And they're like, come on, you can produce and I'm just hitting buttons and turning sound. I had no clue what I was doing early on, so talking about just random jobs they just would no experience. We're like, here, go behind the board and produce a TV show. It's like, sure, all right, I'll hit a few buttons.
Speaker 4: That's the best. Sometimes I think we get so in our sports bubble. Everyone in my family, everyone I work with, everyone i'm friends with, for the most part, loves sports of some kind, even if they're not big UK fans. But like a producer who knows nothing about sports, like, I forget that those exist. I will say I was at the Derby couple of years ago, fairly X eighteen, Ryan's favorite day of the year, and one of our news anchors watched the first race. You know, the Derby's late in the day. We're out there at like four in the morning, and whenever the first race went, I remember she looked at me and she was like, Wow, aren't the horses going to be tired if they do that eleven more times? I was like, wait, what do you mean. She's like, which one's sovereignty? And I was like, that is not It's not the same horses race all day. Like some people just don't know, and I forget. I forget that. Not everyone.
Speaker 7: Okay, you're telling us who that was that during the commercial, Well, yes.
Speaker 5: You are another one.
Speaker 6: I don't want to pole on my former colleague the producer because I did enjoy working with him. We were in a little cubicle together, is me and him and TJ. Bisner, who everybody might remember shout out, but I'm not going to use his name because I don't want to pick on him. But the producer is when Joker Phillips was the coach and he was like, his name's Joker. Like we had an interview with him, He's like, is it a nickname right now? The head coach of the football team for this show you're producing is Joker Phillips? Like he was just so oblivious to all things UK sports.
Speaker 4: Blown away, Ryan, You ever had anything like that?
Speaker 7: Oh, there's all kinds of stories like that, especially when you work with Alan Cutler. It's a day of circus every day when you come into work. But uh, you know, working in TV news is so weird because you know it now you're live for three minutes during your sports cast here and radio we have two hours, yes, you know, so there's so much more that can happen. But we talked about the other day I have when I was anchoring sports. I've burped on the air, I've hiccupped on the air, riped your pants, ripped my pants on the air, had a contact fallout one time on the air.
Speaker 5: Good body slammed on the air.
Speaker 7: Body slammed on the air. Yeah, farted on the air.
Speaker 4: I mean your stories. I feel really lucky. None of that. I have not even been body better knock on wood. I know, I know, I know I will right there.
Speaker 5: You good pro.
Speaker 7: Billy almost assassinated your husband.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think it was that bad. I think he made it sound scarier than it was. But my husband, this is funny, is in the l e X eighteen Golf League. I'm not good enough. I haven't taken enough lessons to join it yet. So my husband is my representative in the LAX eighteen Golf League. And he was out there with a bunch of guys from the office and him and Hayden Hooper were the two that were right there. Yeah, yeah, Flexen from the zone and Billy. He says he yelled for I guess he did. I don't know, but Jay said he wasn't that close. He's fine, He's fine.
Speaker 7: Oh, Billy meante it sound like it almost hit him.
Speaker 4: I don't think he came out. I think Hayden was more in the danger Zone than my husband was okay, Chase's he's good, but he was like, I think that's Billy our sports and I think I need to go introduce myself. Yeah, I think Maggie knows him. So that's how they met. They did not know each other before that. Chase had to go up to him and be like, hey, yeah, I'm almost I think you know my wife.
Speaker 5: Yes, So Billy hits into people, he's that guy.
Speaker 4: It was an accident. It was an accident.
Speaker 5: You're supposed to wait until they get on it out of the way. But all right, we'll let that slid.
Speaker 4: We'll let it slide now. Drew. You mentioned you like to make fun of Lofel.
Speaker 5: We know that just a little bit.
Speaker 4: We're gonna do that after this because we've spent this whole first segment talking about ourselves. We're gonna talk tvt LA Famelia getting the win in a rubber match game three last night, how they got it done, what's coming up next? Vince Marrow was in the house. All that and more ahead right here on KSR. Here we go, Welcome back into KSR. Shannon, great song. I was wondering if we were gonna get some Maggie tunes today. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I didn't know if you knew Rod Stewart Maggie May.
Speaker 4: Yes, this is the ultimate Maggie song. The rest of them, we can do it if we need to the other one. I remember being so excited. Chris Tapleton put out a new album like a couple of years back, probably like ten years back at this point, and everyone kept posting one song on the album called Maggie song, and I was like, great, a new one, like this was the Rod Stewart One's like the only one I knew, and I went and listened to it. It's about his dog dying. Oh yeah, yeah, so that's why everyone was posting it with pictures of their dead dogs. I'm like, oh great. I do meet a lot of people who are like, oh, Maggie, that's my dog's name. I was like, I don't know what to say to That.
Speaker 7: Is Maggie short for Margaret?
Speaker 4: It is OK, yes, yes, yes, not Peggy, though you guys have talked about that before. I don't know the Margaret Peggy lore. But it's Margaret goes by Maggie. That's all it is. Yeah, that's what we're talking about. So that's the only Maggie song I know, and then the Dead Dog one, which you can play if you want. Shannon.
Speaker 7: Okay, it's a little depressing.
Speaker 4: I have to be honest with you. We have a couple of callers. You want to get them on now. I see I see their names showing up, but I don't know what to do about them.
Speaker 3: You just tell me who you want to go to.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's go to Mike.
Speaker 3: All right, Mike, Mike, Mike, can you hear us?
Speaker 4: Start?
Speaker 7: We have to a great start today in the phone calls.
Speaker 4: Let's try Stephen, Stephen, can you hear us?
Speaker 8: Great?
Speaker 2: I guess the phone's probably I'm guessing aren't working. Let's let's try it this way, Steady.
Speaker 3: Can you hear us? Now?
Speaker 4: I can hear you hear Steven? What's going on with you this morning?
Speaker 9: At working a little bit? I just wanted to point out for any Louisville fan listening, Kentucky for the next fifteen years could be bottom of the barrel, worst team in the league, and Louisville could go fifteen or undefeated for fifteen years and still not have as many all time wins as the most prestigious college basketball in the country, and that's why they forever be Loserville els down and also Tennessee Suggs.
Speaker 4: Steven coming in hot. Thanks so much. We appreciate the call. I think that's a good segue to talk about TVT you guys were there. I was watching on TV Drew tell us about the atmosphere as La Familia gets to win sixty three fifty seven.
Speaker 6: We'll say, when I walked in, a little disappointed by the turnout compared to Saturday. Even looked at Mario, look where the hell is everybody did? They forget about the game. But in that second half when things got rolling, it sounded great in there. The fans that were in there excited, I understand, compared to Saturday being a weekend as part of people get their games at six. I get why the crowd wasn't what it was, But the atmosphere started slow but turned up in the second half. And then, of course, to the callers point Louisville, that's what they do.
Speaker 5: They lose.
Speaker 6: Losers lose, and it happened again last night. So we had a lot of fun celebrating and enjoy it in historic Memorial Coliseum. I'll admit going into the game it's a little worried. Wasn't exactly convinced that they were gonna win. But then water found its level and Kentucky beat Louisville as it usually does well.
Speaker 7: Thankfully, Archie Goodwin showed up, because if they don't win without him, he was the best player on the floor. He won the game, and I hope he continues to play with the team because they desperately need him. But I'm like Maggie, I watched it on TV. You could hear the crowd in the second half. We saw a shot of Misty English and Marcia.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, Marsha was going crazy. Yeah, king trash talker Marsha.
Speaker 7: That's why she's our Woival's queen over there supporting the UK. But the TV broadcast also did a good job of like taking a photo of like Louisville fans sitting by Kentucky fans. A lot of those, A lot of those there. Yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Mentioned Archie Goodwin. I mean he led the team twenty two points. He had the last two buckets in the Elamandez.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I was on TV for part of the game, so I missed like a little chunk in the middle, right, But the parts that I saw. I saw a couple of Archie misses in a row, and I'm like, oh no, no, no, no, because i'd seen the lo Fomelia was down by ten, they'd gotten the lead, Archie Jack and Uptum shots that maybe weren't the best. That's kind of how TVT goes. And then he comes up huge down the stretch, and I think the Redemption Arc is a great story for Archie Goodwe he worked on it last year and then I felt like he was slipping back down a little bit with with Game one and Game two, no shows he's back, and he talked about that after the game, saying like I had to miss because I have two kids and they're my priority. Is he forgiven? Are we good?
Speaker 6: I never, I never blamed him. I'm I think the others are worse. We knew he missed Saturday, he had a wedding. I mean that's fair. Monday was unexpected. But I never had as much as a problem with him as others. We had a good feeling he would still show up for last night, even after you know, everything went down on Twitter. I was worried, though, I said going in the game. Winned thirty from Archie, like, with what Montrez had been doing, has to be an Archie game. He had three points at halftime, and that's where I kind of thought, oh, but then it was almost like you could see a little switch flip with him, and he had I guess said be nineteen in the second half. Also, you know, he and Morsel combined for forty two points.
Speaker 5: But our guy.
Speaker 6: Willy on one bad leg was the game changer with taking Montrez out of it. Montrez who was unstoppable. With Willie out two nights ago, Willie made the biggest difference on the defensive end. He got some great rebounds. So it was fun watching Archie and my new favorite player Daryl Morsel, who joined us on the rapid reaction Welcome to BBN, Darryl. It was great that they were scoring. But Willy, I mean, really deserves some high praise for how he played, especially on that foot injury.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Willy double double, ten points, eleven rebounds. Vince Marrow in the house. I saw the picture you took with him, Drew, What was that like talking about I did?
Speaker 6: I mean, I walked straight across the court at the first time out and I pointed to the door like I was trying to kick him out, and then you know, he was nice. He said house dad life. You know he's leaning under that. Show him a little picture. Then I got Paul standing there with Mario and me. He's like, hey, let's get a picture of you all. And I did the l's down and Vince took my hand and pushed it down and I pulled it back up.
Speaker 5: I was like, I'm no, you're get any l's down.
Speaker 4: I mean, Vince was not wearing red, so.
Speaker 5: It was green.
Speaker 6: I know a lot of people on the Louisville side are saying it was blue. It was kind of like a turquoise, but with the blue tint from the screens in there, it definitely came out as blue.
Speaker 4: But a crazy choice though.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: He did tell Mario and me that he said, get ready, we're about to beat you by fifty. So he was he was a little out on that one.
Speaker 4: Okay, he's talking football. We're gonna do the same thing. Hitting a heart break here. We'll be back talking SEC media days Next on KSR.
Speaker 5: TJ Smith, personal injury attorney, called TJ.
Speaker 4: He'll make them.
Speaker 5: Pay now more.
Speaker 2: Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton mortgage.
Speaker 3: Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: I mean, I love Chris Stapleton, but there's nothing to get you happy in the morning like Maggie's song Geez, what a bummer? Thanks Shannon.
Speaker 2: They have this name, Shannon is about a dog named Shannon that ran away.
Speaker 3: So I'm really share that. I guess.
Speaker 4: Wow, birds of a Feather. Okay, I see we have Nick Rausch on the line. Is he ready for us?
Speaker 3: You're ready? Let's go.
Speaker 4: This show, buddy? How are you?
Speaker 8: I'm great?
Speaker 7: It is hello.
Speaker 8: Outside of this hotel in Tampa, and I'm just raining to John Daily. What's John Daily doing here? I don't know, but that's that's the SEC Media Day's experience.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, Originally, I was going to introduce you as like he's been pounding the pavement working hard in Tampa. I think you've just been in this hotel for like four straight days. Have you seen the outside lately at all?
Speaker 8: Uh? Well, they have the the little parties at night. So yesterday I got to go in the Pirate Ship at Raymond James Stadium, and I'm just immediately like, well, I guess I'm a Buck fan now because this is awesome. Why don't more stadiums have pirate ships in them? I think they would make them much better.
Speaker 4: Well, that is Nick rosh hot take of the day. You've had a couple of those since you've been down in Tampa. I saw you on the Paul Fine Bomb show standing firm that Kentucky's gonna beat Alabama this year. Did you get any fun Crimson Tide messages after that? Anything crazy?
Speaker 8: No, because Alabama has no no juice. Will soon says juiceful is useful. Well, juiceless is useless. And that's that's Alabama it you see in this event, particularly was in farming Ham and Hoover, and I mean Alabama Day would draw out the masses. Like when Nick Saban was in the room, it was a big deal. Now he's doing media and I kind of feel bad for him at this event. He's great on game. I don't think he particularly likes being here. But like, Alabama is a team nobody's talking about. When Kalin de Board spoke at the podium, nobody cared. They were talking about the All Miss coach and the former Kentucky linebacker who's now the Florida head coach. Right, It's just it's weird. People aren't really content they're going to be that great. They're they're flying under the radar. Alan, Little Old Alabama is under the radar team, and I just want people to realize that's so crazy to think that, hey, they could stink. I know that that hasn't really happened in many people's lifetimes, but it wasn't that long ago. They were pretty bad when Kentucky beat him in ninety seven. I think only won one game to night, so it can happen. It might happen this year, and I'm standing firm that Kentucky is going to pull off that big upset with two.
Speaker 4: It's interesting you say juiceless is useless, because I went through every head coach and what every player down there has said, trying to find like the one best line from all of them for us to talk about today. Kalin de bor was the hardest one to pick out a line from. He was so boring. I couldn't believe it. Do you think he's trying to do like a Mark Stoops, like, don't make a headline, let's just go out there improve it type thing. What's going on?
Speaker 8: I think that's the case. You know, like the lower profile we have the better, we can surprise people. But like you're saying this, I mean they were in the Rose Bowl and the College Football Playoff last year, they won a playoff game. It's just that in that Rose Bowl they got steamrolled by Indiana, and that that stink I think has just been sitting with it and just and it's hard to take it off. It's hard to take it off. So he's gonna let everybody else take up all the oxygen in the room down here in Tampa.
Speaker 4: Well, I think Kentucky's head coach did plenty of That is everybody still talking about Adam Lucket's question and will Stein's answer down there because on Twitter it is still everywhere.
Speaker 8: It lasted until like John Sumral starting to throw the podium at somebody, which that I'll get to sign a second. But there is a generally speaking, we people want coaches to not be boring and be coach speaking. Somebody's phone alarm just goes off and his ring for I mean a solid ten seconds like it was. It was prolonged where some are all had to like make a joke and then people online are like, can you believe this? Bully? I mean Tom Green is tweeting it somewhere off like he can't be serious, which I appreciated that. Somemrow responded, Yes, I was, You're correct, I was not being serious, like we want our coaches to wipen up and then when they do something normal, everybody gets bad. It's just, you know, that's why coach speak exists. And I hate it. I don't like it, and I'm glad that the Kentucky head coach did not do it on Monday, because I mean, Maggie, you've done this a long time. You know how it can be like you're just like, can can we get something?
Speaker 10: We?
Speaker 8: Yes? Will Stein like this this week was just a reminder that he is. He's doing everything the opposite of the way that Mark Soups said thinks like. It's just it's been the perfect encapsulation of it. Like last year it was I don't want to make a headline and this bleep is hard right. When I asked him a question in the big room, he was ready to fight me. When luck At asked wilk Stein a question, he peed it up and knocked it out of the park. He talked about how he needs Kentucky to be on social media, because that's what recruits see. He wants Kentucky to be important, he wants to promote the program, and he wants this to be a tough team, one that's going to throw the football lot. It's just it's so like, it's so striking and while it you know you have to wait and see it on the football field. It is just I think the most refreshing.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 8: It makes Big Blue Nation just so glad that, all right, we finally have a reason to get back on board with this program that was really starting to fester and flounder after so many good years of remark sets things are going the wrong way and we'll done is just doing everything the opposite way.
Speaker 4: Nick. I think if the cause of me comment hadn't happened, or hadn't become so huge, we would probably be having a very similar conversation about the fact that will Stein said he wants his quarterback to complete seventy percent of his passes and less than that is unacceptable. Do you think that's a realistic goal for him to be setting for Kenny Minshee and the quarterbacks of Kentucky's future.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, because we have just I wish I had a good Colin cal Herd analogy for this one, Maggie. But like we've just been conditioned and beaten down to just watch awful quarterback play. I mean, there hasn't been a three thousand yard passer now since twenty ten. I was a senior in high school. Like, what are we what is going on? Like this is unacceptable? Three thousand yards is not that hard, but we have just like Mark Stipps did it the hard way, he did it without quality quarterback play. You hire will Stein to bring that quarterback play back. When I was growing up, that's all that they had at Kentucky and Ouival right, it was well Rinsen, couch Woodson, Brahm, Redman, Well For's like, the quarterback play was what defined the high level football in the state and that hasn't been around. You hire will Stein to fix That's that has to happen. And part of the reason why it has to happen, Maggie, is because there might be some questions about this running back room. So if Kentucky is going to have success this fall, it's going to be because of Kenny mitche in this passing game.
Speaker 4: Now, the only Kentucky opponent talking today is LSU and it is already the Lane Kiffin show down there. Did you see anything that Lane said or are you busy talking to us instead?
Speaker 8: I did see it, and it was so like the people Lane Kiffn's antics. You get this image of them. But like a lot of times in press conferences, he tries to be boring. It's just when he loses self control that's when things get interesting. This man talked for twenty minutes in a thirty minute press conference. He tried his best to not take any questions, and then when somebody asked him about like he made, he basically in a in a feature said that part of the reason he left All miss is it was harder to get players because of their racist pass I'm paraphrasing, but when he got asked that, his way of deflecting was saying, you know, I watched the Hulk Cogan documentary and I realized that we're all going to die? What what where are we? Yeah? It was it was something else. It really was something else because he's everybody. He's the story in college football now, he's the center of the Gravitational universe. He made that crazy move last all season. It created some crazy content with Pete Golding yesterday, and it also like you make that big move, you get all these awesome players, Well you got Highers. They got a tough schedule, and I think expecting the moon from this national championship or bus is probably asking a little bit too much for Kiffin and near work.
Speaker 4: The SEC added some insane coaches. I think this year is what we've learned this week. Pete Golding was on one yesterday. Will Stein is doing his normal confident thing you have, you know, John Summer all threatening the throw podiums at people and cracking jokes and trying to talk a little smack toward Lane Kiffin already, Like there's just a lot going on, and so we appreciate your report from down in Tampa. Anything else we need to know before we let you go. Anything else crazy going on down there?
Speaker 8: Oh man, It's just I think the part of all of this that's that I love is that it really sets the tone for the next six weeks, Like, all right, we're getting a feel for how everybody gets. And I think the lesson that I learned is that the traditional powers that used to just completely dominate this lead Alabama and Georgia. They dominated forever and everybody else is trying to catch up. Well now, it's like there's like six teams that are vying for the top spot and then everybody else is kind of just in the same boat. And that includes Kentucky. Right, So there are eight eight teams that could be eight and four or four and eight. Which one is Kentucky going to be? Can they do it? If they figure out the quarterback? It meant if they hit on minshe if DJ Miller becomes the breakthrough star that I think he can become along with Willia Rodriguez, and if the defense works and it can happen. But on the other side of the coin, what if it defense doesn't work? Right Like, there are plenty of uncertainties, and that's what makes it so exciting this upcoming season. There's never been more uncertainty in the SEC. You got a nine game schedule, six new coaches. It's a wild time. It's so much fun and I'm just I can't wait to talk about it all year long. Okay, sorry, I.
Speaker 4: Think we're like forty four days from kickoff, So yeah, we're excited. Nick, thanks so much for the time. We appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Oh Man, always a pleasure, Maggie, enjoy the next hour minutes.
Speaker 4: Oh we will. He's at ralsh ks Or Drew. I heard you say a couple of days ago you're ready to go out there and tail gate. Now I think I'm with you. I think we should do it.
Speaker 6: Also, this morning it was like fifty something out. I got to wear a little hoodie walking around downtown. I wish we could just shut down life and go set up tailgates. Now, get it going. I can't wait. Stein's comments certainly added to that on Monday, but it's it's gonna be a long forty four days as we count down to that first kick off.
Speaker 7: I think then they announce that they can set up for tilgate on August that eighth.
Speaker 4: August the eighth.
Speaker 7: Yes, that that's Billy's wedding.
Speaker 4: Oh, I guess aren't going to get your spot.
Speaker 7: Well, we're doing getting our spot. We're gonna blow off the wedding.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, that's true. He's not getting married at eight am. You have sat up.
Speaker 7: I can go set up in my brown suit and go straight from there to the wedding.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, that's gonna be fresh. You do that.
Speaker 6: We got text alerts last night reminding hush in case anyone forgot.
Speaker 7: Did you read that?
Speaker 5: I did?
Speaker 3: They just didn't doubled down on the brown. They want to make sure everybody's got the brown on. I got that taking everyone in this state.
Speaker 4: No, you're supposed to wear brown.
Speaker 7: At this wedding, they said's this text reminder, don't forget the dress code. I didn't even know camel brown, dark brown.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know there was a brown heart emoji, but apparently there is because we got it into that text message.
Speaker 4: Well, that's sweet. I like when someone includes an emoji otherwise, like if it's too many periods, I'm like, oh are they mad at me? Like? I'm good with an emoji every now. That's fine.
Speaker 2: Light tope or camel to rich chocolate. That's what you gotta have on.
Speaker 3: That's what it says.
Speaker 5: Espresso. You can also wear a Spriso espresso.
Speaker 4: Okay, you guys all went to Logan's right, we did have you picked up the suits yet not yet?
Speaker 6: You did?
Speaker 8: Not me?
Speaker 6: Well, I went to trot On to get the make the final edits, but I haven't actually picked.
Speaker 5: It up yet.
Speaker 4: Final edits.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were.
Speaker 6: They wanted to make sure it's set right on my shoe shoulders good, and then I will go back again for the to pick it up on my stuff.
Speaker 4: The only time I've had to like go back multiple times for something was for my own wedding dress. And it's like this really stressful, Like do not change size at all for the next like six weeks or whatever. Do you feel that way now with your brown suit? Like whatever weight you are right now, don't change a single pound.
Speaker 6: And I was at my absolute fattest just a few weeks ago when we tried it. I'm already down eight pounds since then week. It's been about two or three weeks. I hit the ice cream pretty heavy once baby got here, and I've cut that out now it's starting to fall back off. But even when they were sizing me up, you know, I think a lot of people do this, They're like, take down, I'll lose weight and time I'm actually trying that, So maybe I'll have to get it sized again.
Speaker 4: Ryan, have you got yours?
Speaker 7: I have not got it. I got sized for it, but I've not picked it up yet. But I did. I already told Billy I apologize. I'munta steal the spotlight away from him, because I will be the best looking guy at the wedding.
Speaker 3: You're gonna look like everybody else.
Speaker 7: No, I won't.
Speaker 6: You got our transportation figured out so we can get after it.
Speaker 7: We're trying to get some more people. Okay, but you and me and Abby and young girl.
Speaker 5: I'll pay whatever. Safety first, good time.
Speaker 2: It sounds like Ryan's got something up the sleeve. You said you're the best looking guy. What are you gonna bring? What else you're you gonna add to it? The Fedora?
Speaker 3: What do you get.
Speaker 7: I'm not gonna give away my fashions.
Speaker 2: So you've got something that you're gonna add to the wardrobe.
Speaker 7: A little bit okay, a little bit.
Speaker 5: Pour of Vodking Cranberry on it like you did in my wedding.
Speaker 7: Yes, and I will wear boxer shorts in case I split my pants. Seemed to see him thank you for that.
Speaker 5: Matt's we though, yess arising.
Speaker 4: To the wedding. Yeah, okay, okay, I was gonna say it, Ryan, I didn't notice your shirt until Mario posted the picture of us. You're looking very fashionable today.
Speaker 7: Well, I get accused. I have an android, so of our group chats, I have the green bubble. So everybody makes fun of me and says I ruined their group chats. So somebody just bought me this T shirt that I ruined the group chats in the green bubble.
Speaker 4: I like it. That's good stuff. Okay, well, you're not ruining the show. You're doing a great job.
Speaker 7: By the way you have it on the a vision glass text machine. It's so refreshing to hear a female voice on the show. Maggie is killing it.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you so much, you know, And I'm using a real mic, like once I came in here and I used the female mic, which I don't think sounds as good, feels intentional over here.
Speaker 3: So nobody knows who is so no one's on the female mine.
Speaker 5: Unplug it.
Speaker 3: We save that one for when the billy gets it.
Speaker 4: I understand kind of the concept of like my voice is higher, Like if it made it sound better, that'd be fine. But it didn't sound right. It didn't sound right at all. We do have a lot of callers, so let's hit a break here. When we come back, we are going to talk to Jeremy Tyler. Everybody who's been waiting on hold for the last several minutes. Wow, I don't like that. I can see how long they've been on hold. I feel bad. Okay, quick break, coming back taking calls. Next, Welcome back into Kentucky Sports Radio. I'm Maggie Davis at Maggie Davis TV. Shannon going to send it back to you. You have something to tell us?
Speaker 2: Yes, the segment sponsored by Draft Kings this summer. Whatever you're watching, baseball, golf, soccer, racing, DraftKings has you covered for every single moment of it. The DraftKings app is now available, bringing the game straight to your fingertips wherever you are. No matter what you're watching, where you're watching, you're connected with one app on DraftKings. And for new customers, if you sign up with promo code ks Are, it'spend five bucks to get one hundred and fifty and awards within fourteen days. That's Code KSR in partnership with DraftKings. The Crown is yours gambling problem called one in te Hunter Gambler twenty one plus Kentucky only eligibili your restriction supply fifty dollars and non withdrawal bonus bets issued every seven days. I be a click to claim for fourteen days bonus bets expire seven days after issue is. For additional terms for responsible gaming resources, see sportsbook, dit, DraftKings dot com, slash promos, limit the time offer.
Speaker 4: Thanks Jana, appreciate it. Can we go to some calls now? Looks like Jeremy's been on the line for a while. Jeremy, can you hear us?
Speaker 11: I can hear you. Hey, Jeremy, Hey, Hey, I wanted to get a shout out to KSR. I'm a Jeremy Day. I don't know if you guys seen it, but I'm a school resource officer. I kind of took your idea. I'm out here walking fifty miles today, so I just went to call him, give you guys a shout out. Fifty miles fifty miles the other raise a raise of money to take kids back to school today.
Speaker 3: Nice a right, not the best for you.
Speaker 11: I'm doing it funning.
Speaker 3: You see if you can beat fifteen hours, that was my time public.
Speaker 11: I've had a lot of media things, so I'm not.
Speaker 8: Gonna beat that.
Speaker 11: I've had to stop and talk to a lot of people. Thank you. I'm glad you saw me on TV.
Speaker 4: Where are you right now? Are you in like around Lexington.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm walking to twenty nine County Public School Elementary School, so right now I'm on Second Street. Just came from Harrison headed to Carver Elementary.
Speaker 4: Okay, you said you've been doing some media. Is l EXA team come by yet?
Speaker 8: Yep?
Speaker 11: I was there, Yep, she was there. I've made the rounds this morning. They've hit me up. So yeah, Shannon, your records. I've had to stop a lot, so your record's good.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, Well.
Speaker 11: If I didn't have to do that, you're in trouble.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks, appreciate it. Jeremy, while fifty miles I could not do it. I know you all talked about that a lot, but no, I can.
Speaker 8: No way.
Speaker 4: I don't even think like I have tennis shoes. I don't think I have the right shoes to even consider doing that.
Speaker 7: Good for that guy though, trying to raise some money to help some kids out. Good for him.
Speaker 4: Let's go to Tyler real quick before the end of this hour. Tyler, welcome to the show.
Speaker 8: Hey.
Speaker 10: First of all, Ryan's great to hear you back in healthy and we got a TVT story. I played in the second year of TVT back in twenty fifteen, very different tournament. Back then, it was just me and a couple of high school buddies and we lost by over ninety points, no exaggeration. The next year after that, so it's been the third year. I was going to try to get a Kentucky team together, so I emailed around a little bit here and there. I had Jared Poulsen ready to play. I had emailed Sam alone and he said to try to get a hold of John Hood. And at that point I was like, this is not going to work with me from Delaware to put this team together. But it's really cool now to see John Hood out there coaching and to see this team succeed and beat Lotville last night.
Speaker 4: Definitely, Tyler, I appreciate the call. We're at the end of this first hour here, Hey, you mentioned TBT. We got Willie colly Stein coming up in his second hour. Stay with us right here on Kentucky Sports Radio.