Speaker 1: Welcome to the Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with men that need no introduction, Fred Smoot and Santana Moss. Hey, guys, doing how was the weekend vacation?
Speaker 2: My vacation was awesome.
Speaker 1: It was very nice. You know, nine hour driving the car with the kids. That's always a tough ask that with technology now that you just give them. You know, we said we said no iPads in the car, so on purpose, just to see.
Speaker 2: What would happened, to take it back to nineteen Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think the kids actually handled it better, honestly, you know what I mean. I was surprised, but I think they actually handled it better.
Speaker 2: Well you know what this sounds like. Uh, what was the act of Chase.
Speaker 1: Road trip for y Yeah, vacation, family vacation.
Speaker 3: It was my seven year oldld have had a fit. The whole was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a little bit of that, but we played games, you know, like, yeah, dude, it was tough, tough, but we made it.
Speaker 4: Guys, we're here, but now I give you respect five here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, all right. They had to entertain us.
Speaker 3: We had to sit.
Speaker 2: The hell.
Speaker 5: Was you're gonna set up too and you ain't gonna interrupt.
Speaker 3: Now, they won you when you got that car So I'm coming to you.
Speaker 1: You know better, dude, Oh my god. So, speaking of games that you play in the car our, producer Jason came up with a really fun game today. It's the match game. Okay, all right, We're gonna have some players from the Washington Commanders and we're to decide who is the best player com for them in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna start off with none other than the Young Airwolf himself, Sam Howe.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So, just to give you an idea, Jason did a great job prepping this. We got Tony Ropo. Yeah, John Elway, Daniel Jones's potential comp doesn't have to be one of those guys. But who do you think, Like, what's his ceiling, what's his floor? Let's give a camp for each one.
Speaker 4: I think Tony Romo is the perfect, perfect comp.
Speaker 2: Like it's only two. I compare him to. I prepare him to Tony.
Speaker 4: Athletically, Tony was a better athlete than you he thought he was.
Speaker 2: He could make every throw, He was a loosive.
Speaker 4: In the pocket, and when he had to run, he ran on her like anytime he seen two men he ran, he understood it.
Speaker 2: Like, but then I get a Kirk Warner. The story the.
Speaker 4: Story of Sam how is he fell and he had Now he had to grind back. Now he's getting a chance to start. Like they're built the same, the way they throw the ball. Like, just remember who Kirk Wanner is, Like Kirk Warner was never how much I say he's not the athlete Sam how he is, But when it comes to volume of passes getting the ball out of his hand, my total cump is Tony Romo Kirk Warner for Sam.
Speaker 5: How yeah, I mean you know when we look at this sheet, Tony Romo sticks out. I mean just for the super fact. I was a big fan of him when he was playing. Folks used to throw it. I was crazy when I say I would go play with Tony Romo. I watched the caliber quarterback, you know, play that he showed weekend and week out. I saw how guys wasn't open and he still got in the ball, all had a nice touch on the ball, and and fred heading on the head when things wasn't there, he took off, took off and it cost us every time. So just just watching the simple size that I've seen so far. As Sam, he might be a little more elusive. When it comes to run, he takes it.
Speaker 3: He don't.
Speaker 5: He ain't waiting on nothing not to be there. If he's see, he's gonna take it. But when it comes to just to play overall, throwing the ball and running, I compare it with Tony.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I got a kind of a weird one because to me, when I watch him, he reminds me a little bit of Russell Wilson, right, kind of that shorter demeanor, the way he moves in the rocket if Russell Wilson and Drew Brees kind of like had a baby.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying to Russell Brees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Russell Breede, That's kind of what reminds me of it. Again, it's it's weird. It's weird comparing a guy to two future Hall of Famers. But in terms of the mobility, the release on some of that processing, I think that's it kind of gives me. That gives me the feels, right. But with regards to this year, what do you think he's going to be.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I think I'm leaning Tony Romo is.
Speaker 1: I mean that's so Tony Romo win as a rookie, as a ten years ago.
Speaker 2: Said Tony Romo.
Speaker 4: After like third year, when he got control of the outfits and when the office was him and Davis, you got to realize what he got. Terry mclawan, he had winding and unless we all know when we couldn't outrun a snail.
Speaker 2: But guess what, Tony put the ball right when to be at all time right.
Speaker 4: So at the end of the day, I'm gonna go lean Tony Romo. And I'm talking about prime, not hurt Tony Romo, not yet.
Speaker 2: You know what I talk about.
Speaker 5: I'm talking about Tony Romo when he took the job, when he showed them that he can play, and they like.
Speaker 1: You're talking about different times. I feel like Tanna is talking about right when he became the start.
Speaker 3: We're talking about right when.
Speaker 5: But I'm saying that was when that was, that was some of the best that was about that time Tony Romo was playing. I mean that those years that he first started was the years that everybody was sitting there taking them all in. And then things kind of got rocky when the defense didn't get better and they wasn't going to, you know, going to the postseason.
Speaker 1: So would you say Tony Romo was a top ten quarterback when he played. Yeah, So you're saying Sam how Is can I'm.
Speaker 4: Saying, Sam Howe, listen this office that I was talking to London Fletcher about London play with the Greatest Show on Turf, And so we started to go down through the players on the Greatest Show on Turf and we put them with this team. I said, Kirk Warner is quarterback, sam Hi, I said, Oza king that Samuels, I said to a Rehope.
Speaker 2: Then this Johann Dotson.
Speaker 4: Like they had we we are similar everything, and me and him had a discussion about who's Marshall fault and this when I bought at Gibbe into it.
Speaker 2: I just feel like this.
Speaker 4: Offense is the season go on, they gonna realize that Gibby brings something to the table.
Speaker 2: Then a lot of the backs don't.
Speaker 1: So since you mentioned Antonio Gibson, is that your Conferendtonio Gibson is Marshall.
Speaker 4: I ain't saying that he's a Marshall fault five style. I'm saying he's Marshall fault three toes on the left foot. This is what I'm saying. This, This is all I'm saying. I ain't saying he full of you know what I'm saying. I'm not saying he's completely fault. I'm just saying the guy can do a lot of the things that he can do.
Speaker 2: You don't think he can on his left I.
Speaker 1: Mean, the thing that gets me, man, is that's a Hall of Fame player. He could have played receiver in the NFL. That's what I don't know if Gibson is.
Speaker 2: He came into the legal wide receiver.
Speaker 1: But the reason they moved him the running back is because he looks like a running back. Not a bone in that man's body.
Speaker 2: But he did not forget how to run round. He did not forget how to catch the ball.
Speaker 1: Let's ask the receiver about this. I think we've talked about this. He doesn't have that elite route running nuance, and in my opinion, I.
Speaker 3: Think he does.
Speaker 1: You think he does.
Speaker 3: I watched him run routes out wide.
Speaker 5: I watched him run out from the slot position just in the preseason last year with him, and he showed us he ran that post man put that touchdown for Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Feel like I feel like that fits him well. But like the short area, like the snags, the choices, he's not. He doesn't remind me of like a young Santana Moss, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't think he's a fault.
Speaker 5: If I had to take name from off this sheet, you know, I would say Matt Fote, you know, because I think just the smoothness of them, you know that that's something that I give him, you know, give the smooth and once he gets over in the open, he don't have to change gears. It just seemed like he just finds a way to leave everybody. Matt Fork, Mattforete was that. I mean, he was that guy. I mean, he's the guy. He was a guy also though when he saw he saw the lanes a little better than Gibbs in that right now. I think Matt Fote was great at picking his way through, you know, between the tackles and when he got outside, man, he just showed you why he's one of those running backs to be wrecking with. But fork Fork to me is reaching. Falk is reaching. Miller could be another guy. But Miller had that unblo mar Mille.
Speaker 3: You know, he's a Miami guy. He yeah, he wore Humber six also back with them Hurricanes. He had a different gear than them than all these guys.
Speaker 5: You know one thing about Lamar Miller when he was in his prime, he's running better faster than some of the receivers out there.
Speaker 3: And I mean he was like a fop gear man.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 3: He was running, So I don't give him very fast. I don't add all those names.
Speaker 5: I would say Matt Forte would be closest in. And that's because I'm not even trying.
Speaker 4: To got okay, Mar was pushing it to I love I love.
Speaker 1: The three toes on the left foot. That's the funniest thing he said.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, I'm sorry. I could I go Tiki Barber.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like Tiki Barber. I think that's a really nice I think I think Tiki Barber being fit, maybe has better vision maybe, But again, like in terms of what he could be in this offense as a ceiling, I'll buy a Tiki Barber. So this next one's tough, boys, because it's tough to think of mid tier linebackers. But let's talk about our guy. Jamon Davis played really, really well the last four games of the season looked like he had kind of turned that corner becoming that first round player. If you had to say, ceiling for him this year. And I'm gonna give you some names. London, Fletcher, Keith Brooking, Levonte, David David.
Speaker 5: I think medic Ability have the same kind of play, you know. I think David is a man amongst boys. At times it's like Loki Hall of Famous, Like he came out to the blocks, He came up to starting blocks like hey, I'm first, Like, let me show you guys.
Speaker 3: You know who I am. And he's a Miami kid too. I know him from.
Speaker 1: From you know, everybody, everybody from Miam.
Speaker 3: You understand, Florida dominates the NFL.
Speaker 2: Really we got something to say about. Just look at her capital.
Speaker 3: We got looking at talking about talking about her capital.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Just look at.
Speaker 4: Look at a Hall of Famous we got the NFL.
Speaker 2: It's literally ten times bigger than mine.
Speaker 5: They say girls run the world, and girls have to be they had to be successful. Women know, just girls toldal right they had to be Hall of Fame. She said, she said who run the world?
Speaker 1: Girls?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: She didn't say she had to be a doctor, lawyer, you know, nurse.
Speaker 1: She just said.
Speaker 3: Girls.
Speaker 5: So at the end of the day, we're not talking about Hall of Famous and Pro Bowls. We're talking about is a half of the walls well by that, by that standard than California.
Speaker 3: But California, Florida's top the top two.
Speaker 2: So so y'all got a whole coast.
Speaker 1: I mean, what's what's what's the stat man? Is it just the most Texas in that? I mean, we have more than Texas. I don't to say, listen to.
Speaker 2: Cry me a river.
Speaker 1: I'm not you're crying.
Speaker 3: No, I ain't cry.
Speaker 2: Just when you run all this tension and lines something to my energy.
Speaker 3: Ain't nobody live better than a preacher?
Speaker 2: I know, I know this, and my dad is he a preacher? He teld me a pair of lips.
Speaker 1: I heard that one from me before. Actually it's true. No, getting back to the question, so, yeah, so Levante David, that's when that seems again.
Speaker 2: I I when I hope he yes.
Speaker 1: I think so too, because my conference coming out with Levonte Davi. Because Levante David to me is the modern NFL linebacker. Yeah, he's covering, you can running hit and you understand his past concepts and he's available, and I think Jamon can do that, but sometimes I think as a past defender, he's a little bit he's lacks those elite instincts.
Speaker 5: I think he can learn, he can get, he can become a better cover, you know, you know, but I just feel when he's and I feel like flying around the ball, David, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: And so the reason I put Keith Brooking on here because Keith Broth was a very good player, but not a great.
Speaker 5: He wasn't He didn't have the athletic ability that I believe that we're not giving.
Speaker 1: You know, guy, yeah, James Freak.
Speaker 2: What about to Kyo Spikes?
Speaker 1: Keo Spikes? Man, Gosh, wasn't he a little stiff though?
Speaker 3: To Kyo all headed there, but the lumber on you.
Speaker 5: That's when I watched the I was a young guy. I wasn't even drafted yet. Lee Steinberg flew me and regiating out to n to Orlando. They was playing the super Bowl that you're in Tampa. So we was, we was flying around, I mean we was. We was going around with some of the guys and to Kyo up in the club and I looked at him and looked at it like boy, that's line back in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Like his shirt, his neck, his went from his ears.
Speaker 2: Just one big nick and then studying him right now.
Speaker 5: Changed man Like it's crazy because we actually got our NBA together and watching him in class looking at him like, bro, you can still go out there somebody.
Speaker 1: He's a big man. He's a big man. So let's talk about another guy that I think we all really like, and that's Cam Curl. Right. If you had to give a con form his ceiling, who would it be, dude?
Speaker 3: Not no land.
Speaker 1: We are like this because the thing about Eric weddle Man, he can do everything right in the box, can play the nickel, can play the post. You could do it all.
Speaker 5: And you didn't think he was gonna lay the lumb one yet he and people.
Speaker 2: Didn't forget that. Eric will played wide receiver, cornerback and safety. He did a little bit of everything.
Speaker 4: But Cam Curl, Now, yeall, I might not agree with me on this one, but I played against this guy. He was a damn nightmare for one hundred years. He had intensity to him, but his past and his run was the same to me. And when I watched Cameron Carroll, his past coverage is just as much as good as he played a run. I'm going Brian Dawkins, Ryan Dawkins, Brian Dawkins, Dude, I don't think do you think he hits like Brian Dawkins.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I ain't saying that he hits like Brian. I'm saying he'll.
Speaker 1: Fixed out all right. I don't know what he's about.
Speaker 2: To come out on the field, out of the smoke, crawling on the.
Speaker 1: Ground weapon x right he was Wolverine. Yeah yeah, all right, Well that that was interesting. Brian Dawkins. I wasn't expecting that one coming out of there, But I like it. I like it front you are you are great and the fact that Tanner agree with you makes it even greater. All Right, so let's talk about the next segment. Okay, it's gonna be a movie. Okay, So we got two guys, Montesa Sweat Chase Young. Let's cast with an actor their upcoming season. So for example, you know Tom Brady, probably Tom Cruise maybe the most famous, like never really falls off, always at the top of.
Speaker 3: It because they both.
Speaker 2: And they're still doing great things.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah right, and maybe like Aaron Rodgers and like at an old age yeah, yeah, right, so ready to get that. So for our guy, Montes Sweat, Let's start with Montes. Who you casting?
Speaker 2: Who am I casting as Monte Sweat?
Speaker 4: Now that I think about it, and I think about all the actors, I hate to say it, but he would probably be a white guy in my move because I love John Cena.
Speaker 1: You think you think you would cast John Cena if he was black? John c But why? But why though?
Speaker 2: Because Johnsina. If you talk to Sweat, Sweat got a chill person.
Speaker 4: Yeah he could be funny, he's strong and John Cena is all dead and I was trying to find him, not like but dig Johnsina.
Speaker 2: It's something special.
Speaker 1: To who's the guy? Who's the guy from Borderwack Empire with the scar on his face. He's been in a couple of shows.
Speaker 2: I know who you're talking about, but he's passed away.
Speaker 1: Yeah he did, So I would say him because no, no, no, listen, listen, because I do think he's an underappreciated actor. And I think as a guy in this defense is underappreciated right for what he does, right, like what he does in terms of how he stops run, how he plays off of defensive tackles how he plays off of stunts. Well, I say more Nut did Morris chest.
Speaker 4: And everything and longevity there with Morris, but he's never been appreciated for what he really brings to the table.
Speaker 3: A good resume.
Speaker 2: He got a great resume. He even been on pretty much.
Speaker 4: Michael Kay Williams is my guy. But Michael Kay Williams, he is your guy. But no, I would go Morris Chestnut.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna get a little ahead of y'all. Okay, I'm not solely on.
Speaker 5: It was gonna be hard to see him think about individual actors. So I just say, I'm gonna use both of the guys together and think of a movie.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna say bad boys.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not bad.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say Legend Tom Hardy when he played his twin and Joe, both of them.
Speaker 3: And when I.
Speaker 5: Say to gather to both of these guys, would I want to see them in a movie form? I want to see them be violent? His head, yes, you know, and that's what Tom Hardy was in Legend. These two guys, these twins in London. They tore London.
Speaker 3: Part and it was just crazy.
Speaker 5: So I want to see my dns like that. I want to see these guys violent, disruptiff.
Speaker 3: And just be you know, misbits and that's what you know. That movie stood out to me, Like.
Speaker 2: You didn't see that movie, but that's great.
Speaker 4: I mean, like hard anything, Tom Hardy one of my favorite don't Jump, It's Gonna Jump playing in bat Man.
Speaker 3: That was one of the favorite, My favorite Batman.
Speaker 4: Listen to talking, listen to He's a fool Listen. I love after they actually get caught up in these characters, like they say something actors takes him like three months after playing a character to the white clean of his character, and that's why they say, don't nobody like to play the joker like this one of the hardest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they go numb and it's hard for them to get back to play another part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean sure. I think Tanna's my favorite out of that though. The legend. I like that because that's what you want them doing to the league this year, right, just being totally disruptive. Right. So Media Day was yesterday, All right, do you guys have any funny memorable Media Day stories?
Speaker 5: The only thing I remember about Media Day I always hated because I didn't like the whole individual get in here and do some shit in front of the camera to make that we're gonna use doing doing the year Like I'm not in the year form right now mentally probably physically, you know, I don't look like I'm gonna look when I score a touchdown and right now I'm ready. I got my damn ug slippers on, ready to go back home and go to sleep after I lead his practice. So I hated media day because I just hated the simple fact that, don't get me wrong, the team picture was always great, but you do that during the.
Speaker 3: Year, Yeah, you don't do that in media day.
Speaker 5: Me to day you sit up there talking about the season and we're doing individual stuff, and I just hated get getting geared up or faking like I just scored a touchdown.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm h I was gonna say, yeah, those are the funniest ones, like when like we'd walk out and you see somebody having to like hype up the crowd. There's crowd there and they got the camera there.
Speaker 3: Like, bro, I feel like this is you know, I'm big on reaching.
Speaker 5: I'm big on one being a guy that happened to do something that ain't.
Speaker 3: Called for, Like it's not called for why should I be doing it right now?
Speaker 5: You give me, give me the media day before the week one. Guess what I'm preseason, mate, you know what I'm saying. I'm ready because now I know we made all us made the team. Yeah, and now we is a week away from going out there.
Speaker 3: Really you know, calling some dem So I got.
Speaker 1: A funny story about that. So when I was in Atlanta, they did like a big media day, and media day, in my opinion, has changed dramatically since I first got in league in two Like now it's like this huge thing. And I knew for a fact I was gonna get cut, and they had to walk me through all these different things, Oh, we're gonna do the promo with to say them like I'm not going to be here, Like what's going on? They're like, no, no, you're gonna be fine. So I had to do all of these like kind of dumb things and felt really awkward, and I got cut and I was like, I knew this was gonna happen. So I think the idea of like waiting till the team is a tea is a team. Yeah, it's a different type of deal.
Speaker 4: Now, you're right, I hated it now what I did love chilling with my teammates, like we're chilling together like all day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The one thing I did hate know y'all Right, we knew just looking around the room some of these guys ain't gonna be here. But so in that saying that for them to get to go through that, maybe they'll never forget that.
Speaker 5: But you know, my question would be, what's the significant of doing it now?
Speaker 3: Like they just do that just to do it, but they got.
Speaker 1: To get all the stuff on file preseason?
Speaker 3: Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Like it's just it's just it's almost like, like I said, a lot of these guys, like I saw Chase on me today.
Speaker 3: I saw him on the GRAMD.
Speaker 5: I'm like, Chase looked like he was just like, I'm just here because I gotta be here.
Speaker 3: He looked like my man with my man name is who eat the schools?
Speaker 2: Marcause I don't get fined.
Speaker 3: Y'all know where I'm here.
Speaker 5: Right when I saw that, I was like, see, that's why I don't like doing this stuff, because it's just like a bunch of bs and at an inappropriate time when we're just trying to get the Mini camp. Mini Camp is one of those those times when you just like, man, let me make it do this weekend. I want to have a break before training camp because we know a lot of guys don't make it through mini camp and then they sitting there getting rehabbed before they even start training camp.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but it's far of selling the sport.
Speaker 4: We understand the purpose of it, but I think the players, this ain't gonna be one of these things we check off our list and say, oh, couldn't wait to do that.
Speaker 2: It's just we do it because we have to.
Speaker 3: With that being said, and that's and that's you know, spot on.
Speaker 5: You know that at the end of the day, I gotta do it, you know, so you find a way to get some of that energy up.
Speaker 2: But because yeah, it is, you just feel.
Speaker 3: Uncomfortable to getting that.
Speaker 2: And it's a privilege though.
Speaker 4: It is a privilege because the year that you don't have to do it, it's out of a.
Speaker 2: Job, right, so it's a privilege.
Speaker 1: It's like this weird thing like with the media, like you're here to play football, right, You're here to play football, But those conversations and incorporating the media and the and the promotional stuff, like that's what makes this a you know, a multi billion dollars.
Speaker 5: Which which we wasn't all told as players that it was.
Speaker 3: It was obligation too.
Speaker 5: You know, you got to think about it because contraction. Even as a player, I remember finding out the hallway in New York that you had to be available for the media like you thought it was just something like, hey, they get you. They get you know, they they're they have in writing. It's in writing that morning they boss saying I need you, I need something. I need to hit from ten, I need to hit from smooth, I need to hit from logan. So you don't know they came to the facility looking for you. You might you know, hey man, I got to go do this X y Z and before you know it, you front page because they didn't get it from you.
Speaker 3: So they're going to write something about you just.
Speaker 5: Out of anger or you know, hey, you know this guy you know flicked me off or whatever that happened to me. So with that being said, just like the media day, you know, for the guys who have to go out there individually and go out there and struct their stuff in front of the camera and put all do all these dances and whatever it is, it come to the territory.
Speaker 1: And I will say like when we when we when I first got in leagu twenty ten, it was like, you know, hear your headshots here you're pumping up the crowd. And now they've got like these automated arms that do these crazy facts, digital walls, and it's definitely you see how the media has grown around the league, and like I think it's it's magnified in media day.
Speaker 4: Well, you gotta realize you got more media outlets Twitter, you're talking, you're talking, you got so many media out lists to feed that you need all this information so to share with the team, just like we doing now we're sharing with the world that we don't like media.
Speaker 1: I feel like you you would have been a big media that guy Fred very popular.
Speaker 2: Ah, most definitely. I don't care. I listen. I'm just here, Hey listen. I have fun. I can say this about me.
Speaker 4: I had fun on every level of the game. Every day practice, I had fun. Uh, just chilling with the boys.
Speaker 2: I had fun.
Speaker 4: We'll leave work, I call the boys, come on by my creed Like I had fun being in the NFL. It's nothing that compares to that brotherhood. Very similar to the military. Yeah, once you go to war with these brothers, they would come part of your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I think that's going to do it for today. As always, thanks for joining us. Be sure to rate and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts, and check out Command Center every Wednesday on the Commander's YouTube page.
Speaker 2: No short so tear.
Speaker 1: Fred Tanner. Do you guys know that on Monday Julia one on one with drawn pain. Yep, that's an exciting interview man. Tomorrow Wednesday is our flagship show, Command Center, and that's strictly Commander's focus. No Dallas talk on there. We're talking about commanders, yeh. Then Thursday is Tanna Takes. Tanna You got an he takes this week?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you talking about the best of the best.
Speaker 1: The best of the best. Finally, Friday's I dive deep into the YouTube comments. You guys have been leaving awesome questions. Keep it up and I'm answering topics you want to hear. We got something for you all week. Be sure to check it out all on YouTube.
Speaker 3: The views and opinions express by our podcast guests are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington commanders or any of their representatives,