Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: You Hi, am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: We want to go into the audience now because we want to hear your questions. Okay, the Intrepid crew is coming to you with microphones. Amy, Danielle uh so, if you have any questions. I think is Tara out there and just Daniell and Amy. I don't know if you have any questions.
Speaker 3: Where are you from.
Speaker 4: I'm Macklin from San Diego. Oh. Hi, I'm Macklin from San Diego. This is my wife, Amanda.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 4: Hi. Some of the funniest scenes in the whole series and are those with Luke and Richard when they get to inner. Those are my personal favorites, at least I still quote I'm gonna go home and look up Dick on the Internet to my wife all the time. My question is do you have a favorite memory of working with Ed Herman. I also loved you as Detective Strawm and saw four and five shack.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you. You know, I don't really get nervous going to work, but on the day that I was going to work with Ed Herman for the first time at the golf course, I was terrified because you're working with, you know, a mountain you know of talent and a guy that has done so much great work in this business over the decades, and you just like, you really want to come through and and not foul up the scene and really serve the writing and all that. So I was a little bit nervous. But he was wonderful. He was wonderful to work with. He was very patient. If he had a suggestion, he had a very subtle way, in a very humorous way of suggesting something without sounding like he was being pushy or even offering an idea, but he would just sort of drop it in.
Speaker 6: Just a wonderful guy.
Speaker 1: I was over everybody. You know, after this, you should go over to the Dragonfly and set because they do have the dining room set from Emily and Richard's house. And I was over there yesterday because we were practicing this for twelve, thirteen, fifteen hours. It's amazing how much practice we put in. And I went into that room and I touched Ed's chair, and you know, it's a very emotional experience because he was a real kind of quiet leader on this set, you know, and everybody had so much respect and such reverence for him, and when he passed it hit everybody very hard. And I'm really really appreciative to Amy and Dan for what they did in the Netflix episodes and how they honored him and how they continue to honor him through each episode. So, just a beautiful guy and a beautiful actor.
Speaker 5: Okay, we have another one of you here.
Speaker 7: I'm Kimberly from Kansas City.
Speaker 3: My favorite scene is when you punch Christopher's lights out in the town square. Can you walk us through that? How it felt?
Speaker 4: Everything?
Speaker 1: I felt really good.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things where you know, you you just pull, you have to pull your punch, you know, and and the camera angle is such that it's really like if this, if if this is David Sutcliffe, Michael, you're David Suthcliffe. It's not this, it's this. You missed by that much. But with the camera angle, it makes it look like you're really hitting him. So he was in no no danger whatsoever. But it was just Those are my favorite scenes to play because there there's it's just action, and you don't get a lot of action. It's a lot of great talking and great situations. Uh, but slamming you know, the sledgehammer to the wall with Jess and we'll hold hands and skip after you're doing. I love those scenes. And you know, the little look to when I was serving coffee the reenactors, and the little little look I gave of defeat to to laurele I and Max when they kissed. Uh, and and the one you just mentioned as well. Just a lot of fun to do, really really fun. Those are fun days, you know.
Speaker 6: Hi, what's your name? Where are you from? And what's your question?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 5: My name is Melissa. I am from here actually, uh, the stars Hollow, yes, actually just our outside New Jersey. I would like to know what each of you, who each of you thinks the baby daddy is.
Speaker 8: Is?
Speaker 4: Would knock their answer?
Speaker 6: What a good question? What do you think?
Speaker 1: I think it's logan, me too.
Speaker 6: Same logan, logan, logan.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't have a clue.
Speaker 9: I don't condone the situation.
Speaker 8: It's logan.
Speaker 6: He knows for sure. I've got another one back here. What's your name?
Speaker 3: Where are you from?
Speaker 6: What's your question?
Speaker 10: I'm Shannon, I'm from saying I'm gonna freak out.
Speaker 11: Sorry.
Speaker 6: This show means a lot to me.
Speaker 3: So thank you guys.
Speaker 10: So much.
Speaker 3: But my question is, like I laugh out lot. I'm sure a lot of us sue, like, what was the hardest scene for you to not break character in?
Speaker 6: Oh, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: I think it had to be. For me, it had to be the when Laura I and I kissed the first time. And it had to be when Sean comes screaming down the stairs naked with two pillows.
Speaker 6: I mean it was it was.
Speaker 1: I think we had to do a couple of takes because we just both fell out laughing. He's so oh you think he's funny on TV, just try standing there and watching that and it's just it's too funny to even deal with. So, you know, we were very nervous about that first because we really wanted to get it right. We did it and then he comes run and throw and we break out and roin the take. It's a good blooper.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 6: My name is Josiah. I'm from Ron Show.
Speaker 4: My question, I guess is for all you guys, But what was your guys's favorite scene to record in the show?
Speaker 1: Favorite scene, favorite scene that you got to do?
Speaker 12: For me, I really do think it was the bachelorette party, because what you didn't see were hours hours of us just eating every snack note to man, and then Sally as Babett putting like rich crackers and cheese whizz on her head and we all passed out.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's cut.
Speaker 12: I think when that scene starts, you just see like a little glimpse, But we really did that scene in real time. It seemed like it was hours of us partying, just the girls in Lorelei's house, and that was the most fun scene. It was just it was a riot. And Liz and Sally together are so funny. And I know I've said this before, so but one of the best memories is being in the town hall meetings and playing the game between takes what's in Sally's purse?
Speaker 6: And we would always and she.
Speaker 12: Would write and she would she always would say she had little baby hands, and she always had like a rubber chicken, and she'd be like, gros, do you want to see my dog's driver's license?
Speaker 6: And she she's just so much fun to figure out.
Speaker 1: She had these like rubber hands on long sticks for air for airplanes to quiet screaming children. Yes, so she'd like go like around their seat and.
Speaker 6: Like and help them with the hands so she did.
Speaker 1: They'd quiet down, so she gets some.
Speaker 6: She's the best. What was your favorite scene?
Speaker 1: My favorite scene? I think you know, so many gods, so many choose from.
Speaker 6: Wait.
Speaker 12: I have a memory during a year in the life. I woke up, yup during a year in the life. I remember it was a scene where Berta made a dish that was like made of peanut butter and it was smushy but it had meat in it, but no one could.
Speaker 6: Figure out what it was.
Speaker 12: And you were we had to enter at the same time, and I remember Scott and I both just closed our eyes and we both fell We fell asleep.
Speaker 6: Do you remember this.
Speaker 12: We fell asleep and they were going Berta Luke. We were supposed to enter the dining room scene when Rory and Laura I are eating the mush that Burda made for dinner, and the two of us were sitting in our chairs, and we both just like you.
Speaker 6: Mean, in real life, in real life, in real life.
Speaker 12: Okay, that was fun memory. No one else thinks it's interesting, but I thought it was.
Speaker 1: I think my favorite scene was There's a lot to pick from, but the one that was the most difficult and at the same time, the most foughten was the in the episodes. In the Netflix episodes, there was the don't leave me when she comes back from California and I think she's gonna dump me and she ends up saying I think we should get married. That that long speech, because it was terrifying and great and the thing is, and here's another example of how great Lauren is. Uh, she had a line here, a word here, a word there. That's hard to do because it's like, I'm on a I'm on a roll, and I'm on a run, and I've got momentum and if you if your scene partner pauses just a split second too long, it's gonna you're gonna get over your skis and wipe out right.
Speaker 11: She was.
Speaker 1: Her timing was perfect, perfect, perfect perfect. So that's I think maybe my favorite one.
Speaker 8: My favorite one was one where I had no words. It was when I was running for ombudsman in the town and uh, Laura, I decided I shouldn't win, and so they set up a thing against me. Somebody was gonna beat me. And so I had always one before, it had never been a question. And they were sitting in the in Luke's having coffee and you know there was that plate glass window that looked into my candy store, so they looked, oh wait, there he is. And I'm sitting at the counter in the candy store and I just reached down under the counter and got out a canister of whipped cream and just sprayed it in my mouth. And because I was so sad and I needed, I need pick me up, that was one of my favorites because all I had to do was squirt my mouth full of whipped cream.
Speaker 9: The gig moment certainly with Sally, just being with her, keeping a straight face with her laugh a minute. But there was one episode you guys can tell me where we're I'm swing dancing people are and and I liked to swing dance, and so I think they, as I'll recall, they let us make up our own dance steps, and that was, Oh yeah. This was a Cast gift early on, I think in nineteen seventy seven we got these for everybody got a Cast gift every year, and I always look forward to those. I still have a cup of Gilmore Girls cup hanging on our cup wreck. It's an actual original from that. But we got to make up our own dance step and that was. We just had so much fun. She's and I'm dancing with Sally Strauther's superstar from Grant High School.
Speaker 13: I guess it's my turn, you know. Mitch wasn't really part of the laugh a Minute Gilmore girls. But the scene that I think enjoyed the most was the scene with Ed Herman. I had a sort of long scene in the in the restroom, and he was saying how wrong I was about Rory, and I was just explaining, you know, my feelings and what business was about. And it was kind of a back and forth between these two sort of like rich guys of the town and uh and both of them very clear about their stances and and and it was a fun and a challenging scene to play, but it was great because Ed was a great, great scene partner, what a wonderful actor.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, what's your name? What's your question?
Speaker 7: My name is Debbie.
Speaker 3: Where are you from?
Speaker 6: I forgot where you're from?
Speaker 7: Camerio?
Speaker 3: Oh not far.
Speaker 7: My mom's sister and I watched when it first aired, and it's on a continuous loop on Netflix.
Speaker 3: So this just question.
Speaker 7: He loved to prank the town while he wrote the screenplay to Glitter what prank would Taylor or any of the other panel like to play on Jess.
Speaker 4: What prank would you guys want to play on Jess?
Speaker 6: Come on, Scott, you got this uh.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know, probably put you know, icy hot ointment for his palm hair palmade so.
Speaker 12: Mean, so mean, I would put a banana and tail pipe and then overcharge him like he's never been overcharged before.
Speaker 8: I think one of the best ones was again when I didn't have that much to do with personally, but I I broke my foot right before we started shooting one season, and so I called and said, I don't know what we're gonna do. I can't walk, and so they got me an electric wheelchair and so I had to. I rode the electric wheelchair through one episode. I had a great time doing it. I wish they'd have captured but they didn't. But to cover that, somebody had a line to me about did you ever find out who left that banana peel on your back porch? And I said no, but I'm gonna and they're gonna pay for it. And that was the end of the discussion about why I'm riding in a I thought that was a good, good one they got me that time.
Speaker 11: Hi, many of the lad and I'm from Paramount. Sorry, it's nice to meet you guys. I have a question for Scott. I just wanted to know how the wardrobe process was for Luke, Like, was it always given that he was gonna wear a backwards cap and a flannel or was it something that developed throughout the storyline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I walked in with a cap on backwards because I just thought it was right for the character. And I used to play pro ball and I used to wear it like that a lot when I was during batting practice or whatever. Yeah, so yeah, the wardrobe process was really like the flannel thing was I guess an Amy directive the look of it. Yeah, And they liked the baseball cap thing was good, so it was kind of a collaboration.
Speaker 6: Two more, what's your name?
Speaker 5: Where are you from?
Speaker 6: What's your question?
Speaker 10: My question is I have to imagine after playing a character for so long, a part of you seeps into your character, and you have to have a part of your character you love that you can see yourself in.
Speaker 6: Where do you see yourself your character?
Speaker 1: You know, there's two way to approach a character. You can either do an imitation, or you can just inject yourself into it. And I I think that's kind of a balance with Luke, because he's he's similar in ways and just similar in others. I mean, obviously I related to the material and the writing, and and I took a real chance in the audition because everything, all the writing was so light and so airy and so humorous and so funny. I thought, well, this will be a nice counterweight if I go in and be kind of a grumpy guy and and and this and and this, you know, in the directions in the writing said that he was a curmudgeon le guy or whatever, not necessarily ill tempered, but you know, it was it was kind of pretty easy to nail it because the writing was there. You know this, you get to say those lines, so it's you know, I often compare it to Shakespeare. You just sort of memorize as it. Open your mouth, let the words pour out, and it takes where you need to go.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 1: The writing was that good so well.
Speaker 8: And I think too that Amy and Dan, the more they got to know us, the more they wrote for us, for our voices in the character that they were developing, and then just our presence would add something to it, so it got easier to do, got more like us as we went.
Speaker 1: They had a very strange ability to know your life. Yes, and you hadn't talked about it.
Speaker 6: That's so weird. That happened to me all the time.
Speaker 12: They would write very.
Speaker 6: Specific things that had just happened to.
Speaker 12: Me in real life that week, like yeah, yeah, that was really creepy but great but also great. Yeah, we were paranoid like Gypsy and Berta. I'm exactly like both of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have the final question over here.
Speaker 3: Hi, my name's Kelly. I'm from Orange County. For Small Things for having us the question, I'm over here, Scott, right over here in the green How you doing, hey, big fan? So questions for the group for spall, I'm here with my cousin, she loves you. Second, where do you think Luke and Loralai are now?
Speaker 1: They're still here in Stars Hollow, you know, they're They're the same, they haven't changed, And I think that's the beauty of the characters. You know, they just sort of stay that way and that you know, uh yeah, so they're just you know, she's probably throwing a Christmas party at the Dragonfly in them.
Speaker 12: Well, he just gave her a new coffee machine from Walmart.
Speaker 6: We know that much.
Speaker 12: I'm like, you couldn't have gypsy at the counter.
Speaker 1: Se these are the Walmart boots and these.
Speaker 6: Are the Walmart pants. Nice commercials.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think they're I think they're the same.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe Luke is so off at a little bit and he's being a little more decorative and celebratory in the diner.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, maybe a.
Speaker 12: Little No man buns still never no, All right, we have we have time for one more question.
Speaker 14: Yes, First of all, my boyfriend's in the back because he doesn't like the sun, but he loves you in Saul, and I have to tell you that he thinks that you're just fantastic.
Speaker 15: And he made sure to text me and say if you get your question, please tell him that I love him. He's in a Baha Blast shirt, so if you see him, that's him. My question is, you guys are iconic, Like nobody could play your roles the way you guys do, Like you're fantastic. You you raised me like, I love you guys, But if you could, what other character would you play?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: I love that? Wow?
Speaker 9: Whoa that's a great question. That's an easy one. Who would you have Kirk come on?
Speaker 6: Same, same, same? He had what sixty four jobs? How many jobs? Yeah?
Speaker 8: I think Taylor is perfectly happy being who he is, whether you like it or not. So I think he would just go on as he's all we'd gone on.
Speaker 12: I would want to be Emily. She's just one of my favorites. Any anything I could do with Kelly Bishop the best. And I just got her book as a gift. I cannot wait to read it. I hope you're all reading it. One of the best memories I have is reading Lauren's book while I was working with her, so I get to put it down and then ask her questions about each chapter.
Speaker 6: It was so much fun. She's amazing.
Speaker 1: I think for me it's Kirk too. Yeah, that's that's for He had a lot of fun. You know, Phil, I'd loved him. I would have loved to have made those films by Kirk. I mean, just come on, just so great. Listen, the mind is a very powerful instrument. If you think it, it will be right. So keep thinking it, and you do, and we hear you loud and clear, and we're thinking it too. So Hey, expected.
Speaker 9: We have some actors here today, we have some cameras. I mean, we're not the largest parts. Moving to someone the right. With the six of us, we.
Speaker 6: Could do this everyone with.
Speaker 9: Only I get to play Kirk.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, thank.
Speaker 1: You so very very very very much.
Speaker 16: But listen, I want to thank Hulu been a great sponsor for us, made this possible along with Warner Brothers and iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Thank you everybody, Greg Henry.
Speaker 16: Thank you, Michael Winters, Rose Abdu, Emily Cororoda and you the best fans on planet Earth for twenty five years, and we're gonna make it twenty five more.
Speaker 3: Let's go
Speaker 1: Dot Hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com