Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Our one on this Wednesday, Dan and the Dans Dan Patrick Show, big news about the NFL Draft and taking the show to Green Bay. Have that for you coming up?
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, and our radio affiliates around the country, including iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio, Play the Day, poll, question, stat of the Day, all of that forthcoming. Former NFL quarterback Mark Sanchez a little bit later on Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, he was at the NFL Owners meetings as they get ready to wrap up.
Speaker 3: Tonight.
Speaker 2: You got some basketball, but last night you had some great performances by Steph and Joker. Have that for you coming up as well. Eight seven to seven three DP Show email address DP at Danpatrick dot Com, Twitter handle. A DP show operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Stat of the Day has always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. We will be in Lambeau in the Shadows of Lambeau. We're going to Green Bay for the NFL Draft. If you'd like to join us, we will be at the Bar on Home Gren Way. It's about three blocks from Lambeau, famous for their wings, and we will be doing our show there Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Tickets our first come first serf if you want to be in the studio audience, first come first serve Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Speaker 3: We look forward to seeing you there. Yes, Hunt, which bar the bar?
Speaker 4: You said?
Speaker 3: The bar boy?
Speaker 5: I know someone's getting up tweet like, so which bar is that?
Speaker 6: You said? At the bar?
Speaker 3: Is that what we're going with?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Roll with that right now we're two minutes and forty which we're going to be Okay, the bar, the bar on Home Ground Way.
Speaker 3: It seems like enough to the bar, Thank you, Todd.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'm looking at their menu right now and I'm going to put in my order now. I heard some things about their wings flats only.
Speaker 3: Yes, famous for their flat wing wow flats.
Speaker 2: First Hour brought to you by tier rack dot com, official tire expert of the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 3: Go to tirack dot com.
Speaker 2: Slash Dan tried the tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Firestone tires, special offers, free Roadhanzard Protection, Mobile tire installation, tirec dot com the way tire Puye should be all right, Seaton got a poll question for me, and then we'll dive into what we saw last night with the teams kind of jocking for playoff position. These games are meaning a lot to a lot of teams players. Yeah, you have the other end of the spectrum that the teams that are tanking. But last night, what we saw with Denver, what we saw with Golden State was very impressive.
Speaker 3: What do you have for his first hour?
Speaker 8: Well, I was going to start off nonsports. Actually I think we have a good poll question coming segment two. Okay, if we start out nonsports, go with Val Kilmer. His best movie okay, passed away yesterday. Yeah, Val Kilmer just passed away. His best movie? Would it be Tombstone? The Doors Heat? He's in another Top Gun. Yeah, he's sort of a minor character in that. He's in another movie called Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
Speaker 3: That was really great.
Speaker 2: I think that's where he met his wife and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
Speaker 8: I might throw real genius in there, just maybe that's the eight year old in me, but I used to love real genius.
Speaker 2: Well, he had a cameo in Top Gun, the New one, but in the original he was iceman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, had a big role. He was in Willow. It was a big movie when I was a kid. I remember, yeah, yeah, yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 7: I was actually watching Tombstone last night. It's one of those movies when you're flipping you're like, oh, Tombstone, and it's one of the Tombstone is a very good Western. Val Kilmer takes it to the next level. He's the best thing in the movie.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever watched Tombstone. I know, yeah, don't think I have.
Speaker 8: Yeah, man, you know it's too bad too, because I don't know that you can now. But god, was that a good movie when it came out.
Speaker 3: Oh it doesn't hold up. I don't know if it does or not.
Speaker 8: But I'm finding that almost no movies really hold up anymore, to be honest with you, I just started watching I started rewatching last night The Wire with my son Yeah fifteen. I'm like, nah, dude, you're gonna love this whatever. And I had to give after the first episode. I was like, all right, give me two episodes. Oh, no, give me two episodes. And then because he couldn't stop laughing at like some of like the way some of like the cops acted or something.
Speaker 3: You're like, oh my.
Speaker 8: He was like, oh my god, this is so corny. But I'm like, nah, just you're meeting a lot of characters. Give me two more episodes and then let me know.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Breaking Bad would still hold up.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing if you haven't seen Breaking Bad, I haven't watched the Sopranos, So the Soprano still hold up.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing I don't know. No, Okay, yeah, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 7: If you go back and rewatch some of these things, Like the first three episodes of the Sopranos, it's all about the psychologist psychiatrist. It's not kind of a mafia yet, it doesn't. It's like the first couple episodes of Seinfelder're not that good yet. Yes, Todd, Lauren Broco, thank you, Tom, Lorraine Brocos, not Lauren.
Speaker 3: He prefers Lorraine.
Speaker 5: I call it Lauren.
Speaker 2: Our friends to call her Lauren, and everyone on Earth blame it on Lorraine. Okay, So I think we might have a pole question Play of the Day coming up as well. Joker went for sixty one ten and ten, and if he went sixty one, nine and nine, it would still be as impressive, but we get caught up. It was a triple double and he had sixty one points. That is true. He played over fifty two minutes scoring the sixty one points in a double overtime loss to the Timberwolves. So ten and ten. So that's the third sixty point triple double in NBA history. James Harden did it, and then Luka Doncic. You go back to Luca in twenty twenty two, he went sixty twenty one and tenow.
Speaker 9: Stead of the day, stand of a day, stead of to day, stanaa day.
Speaker 1: This is the Stele of the Day, run too.
Speaker 2: By Panini America. Steph Curry made twelve three pointers. He finished with fifty two points. So he has fifteen career games of fifty or more points, tied for six most all time and tied with Dame Lillard for your second among active players. You're watching him and he makes it look simple. He makes it look easy, but so does Joker. Joker is so methodical, you could say plotting. He's a really good outside shooter, but he would get inside it and it's just old man moves. That's a little shake over here, a little you know, fake over here. Move over here, a little jump book here, and he's going against the stifled tower, Rudy Gobert, and he just does what he wants to do. And same with Steph, but Steph trying to do it on the perimeter, and at one point Zach Edie is out there trying to guard him. So you had seven to four against six y three and Steph got just enough room and then he.
Speaker 3: Shoots a three. It's remarkable. You know, I've.
Speaker 2: Watched the NBA for probably fifty five years and you just watch somebody shoot like that, and nobody has ever shot like that, no one, And he just makes it look effortless and it's not that is not easy what he does, but he finds enough space.
Speaker 3: He's really good at doing that.
Speaker 2: And Joker does too, because you look at Joker and you go, why can't somebody stop him? He is so good with his footwork, he's so smart with the ball, and he just moves at his own pace. He brings the game to his speed. Kawhi Leonard used to do that on a regular basis. Luca does that. You slow the game down to your pace instead of you have to speed up to what you would think an NBA games pace would be and it's remarkable. But to watch Steph, I don't know if he'll ever be reduced to a role player like his father was. You know, his dad was a great shooter, but he wasn't a guy who was going to beat off the dribble. He'd usually be in the corner, you know, shooting. But I don't know if because Steph isn't going to play any place else, I don't think this is He's going to retire as a Golden State Warrior.
Speaker 3: But can he be the third option?
Speaker 2: You know, let's say three years down the road, is he still able to be Steph Curry two years down the road? Can they bring in somebody who would be the number one option on that team because Jimmy Butler is not going to be their long haul long term. They do have some younger players, but I haven't seen anybody take that next step up. And then Denver did this without Jabal Murray. It was Joker that was it. Here is Anthony Edwards who was dynamic as well. Last night, the Timberwolf's Garred talking about yo Kich's performance, I might have.
Speaker 6: Been the best name in my life like that, I've been a part of nikoleos bro. Oh my god, he might be the best basketball player I've ever seen, like Closa, besides to my like, besides myself, to myself.
Speaker 3: Bruh, he's incredible. Bress.
Speaker 1: The MVP races tough. Now, I don't I don't know, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ceasty, that is funny. He's the best basketball player except for me. But Anthony Edwards was wonderful again last night. But these are games, you know they're meaningful. With Golden State jockeying for position, Denver jockeying for position. This is when you watch a game and you truly get to watch a game and enjoy a game. You're seeing great players play games that really mean something. And Joker's playing almost fifty three minutes last night, and he's the focal point every time down the floor that wears you out.
Speaker 3: Same with Steph. It's like, all right, go out.
Speaker 2: There and get him going to load up, Steph, You're on your own tonight, all right? Eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show the NFL Owners meetings. I got a confession to make because I know it's going to happen. I'm going to go to like a Christmas party, and I'll be the sports expert and somebody will say, hey, games going into overtime, what are the overtime rules in the NFL? And I'm going to go, I think, oh, I think both teams get the ball. But I think that, well, this is regular season. Is regular season overtime? The same as posty. I might pull a Jim Beayheim. Oh hold on, my wife's calling me. Yeah, like I can't keep track of it. They just keep tweaking and tweaking and tweaking, and then you're going, I don't know, but looks like tweaking overtime. How they spot the ball, the chain gang or they keeping the chain gang?
Speaker 3: What's their role in the game.
Speaker 2: They're going to be able to review if you get hit somebody out of bounds, they're gonna be able to review roughing the quarterback. There's a lot that was being unpacked at the owner's meetings. Then you had the tush push and then they're going to table that. And all that means to me is, see, this isn't like the movie what is it, Twelve Angry Men, where they have to stay in and come up with a verdict. And I think I was back in the sixties or something. But why don't they just say we're going to stay in here until we come up with a vote. But if I'm the Eagles and Jeffrey Lorie the owner, and I go, wait a minute, we're all here. Why are we tabling this? Because tabling means we don't have enough support yet. But let's wait till May and then I'm going to work behind the scene if I'm the commissioner or are reading the commissioner, and'd be, hey, I don't have all the votes.
Speaker 3: Let's just table this now.
Speaker 2: They tabled other things to be fair to this rule, but that feels like we want to get rid of the tush push. Let's table this. And if I'm the Eagles and I'm Jeffrey Lorie, I just say, Commissioner, what are we waiting for. Everybody can vote right now. Let's take a vote. And I don't know if you can do that. I don't know if you want to embarrass the commissioner. But this is a rule that's directed at the Eagles.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: We're all here, let's all vote, and then let's see if we keep this. Because I think if they voted yesterday. They probably didn't have the necessary votes to put an end to the tush push because they needed twenty four votes.
Speaker 3: Yes bulling, Yeah, it's a good point.
Speaker 7: The Eagles kind of have to know about this play as they plan their team going forward. It changes the structure of their offense. They should demand it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was surprised because it felt like the momentum was there, but I just got the feeling that the commissioner didn't get what he wanted.
Speaker 3: Here is Roger Goodell yesterday.
Speaker 10: There's a lot of discussion about going back to the previous rule, back to pre two thousand and four. The reality of it is, I think that makes a lot of sense in many ways because I get expands it beyond just.
Speaker 3: That single play.
Speaker 10: There are a lot of plays where you see someone pulling or pushing somebody that are not in the tush push formation that I think do have an increased risk of injury. And so I think the committee will look at that and come back in May with some proposals.
Speaker 3: And you know what that proposal will be. See yah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they used to call this that you couldn't push somebody from behind.
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know, what genius going.
Speaker 2: You know what, we should let them push from behind, and now the Commissioner I guests can go back and say, you know what, on second thought, we're going to change.
Speaker 3: We're going to go back to the original rule now.
Speaker 2: Chase Daniel of the Athletic, he has a podcast called Scoop City, former quarterback. He said that he spoke to a doctor who believes there is zero data that says the tush push creates added health and safety concerns for NFL players. Yes, I said that yesterday. My source said there's no data. They want data, but they don't have anything. And that's what you know. Maybe the Commissioner's trying to find new ways to get more information, just to say to these other owners. But I don't know who's gonna Can you get twenty four to vote against this? And I think that's why they're tabling it. All right, we'll settle on our poll question. Actually, we have a really interesting poll question I think coming up after the commercial break, and even more of a surprise, Pauli's the one who came up with the really interesting poll.
Speaker 3: Coice.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, I don't think you realize you came up with a really interesting question about an hour ago. We'll come back with that phone calls as well. This is the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 3: So check us out.
Speaker 11: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: I've been reminded, scolded, there's no tickets to see us when we go up to Lambeau. When we do drafts of the draft, it's first come, first serve. If you show up on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, those who get in get in up to capacity. But there's no tickets. It's just you.
Speaker 3: Are in line to go in.
Speaker 2: And we're going to be at the Bar on Home Grown Way, and we'll be there for the three days Wednesday, Thursday, Friday of the NFL Draft. All right, we have a Val Kilmer poll best movie for Val Kilmer, but there's other poll questions that we'll have throughout the day.
Speaker 8: Yes, we also put up there to start the show. Do you prefer flats or drums? Based on where we're going At the bar in Green Bay, they are famous for serving flats only, anti drum. Apparently that's fine, no judgment, maybe there might be some drummists among the audience.
Speaker 3: I just figured out, what do you prefer? I'm a drummist, are you? Yeah? Yeah, just like the feel of it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've been known for my handle, so that the drum has a handle that makes it easier to pick up. I hate going through a pile of napkins though, when I'm eating wings. So you're more of a dry rub guy than than a no, no, no, no, saucy winger.
Speaker 3: No, I have been called a saucy winger. Yes, Paulie.
Speaker 7: The flats, though they take longer, you can kind of enjoy the process.
Speaker 2: Mm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a drummer. I'm a drummer. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The earth is flattest. Yes, Yes, the Dodgers aren't going to lose a game. By the way, there's seven and oh, although the Padres are six and oh, they're on pace right now. Yeah, they are the Dodgers on pace to go undefeated.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: Uh, speaking of the Dodgers, here's something Paulie brought up an hour ago. He said, would it be fair to say that right now you have a clearcut best player in the four main sports Baseball Otani NBA Joker NHL, Connor McDavid, and the NFL Patrick Mahomes. General consensus is those are the best players now. I'm not saying they're going to be MVPs because Mahomes may not win another MVP, but he cares about winning MVPs in Super Bowls. Connor McDavid, MVP Joker is not going to win this year, but he's still the best player in the game. Otani a couple MVPs already. Is there anybody else that you would put in? It's strange though, with the NFL with Mahomes, Lamar Jackson's got two MVPs. Josh Allen got an MVP as well, but Mahomes is probably still considered the best player in the sport.
Speaker 3: Connor McDavid.
Speaker 2: With the National Hockey League, Joker and then Otani, I don't think you get an argument with Otani and McDavid. Maybe a little bit with Joker just because of Shay Gilgis, and then with Mahomes you might get people who say, well, Mahomes isn't even the best quarterback right now.
Speaker 12: Yes, Marvin, with the Shaye Joker argument, this might be a Barkley Jordan thing. Barkley might win the MV people, we know the best player is Michael Jordan.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I spoke with somebody that I've known a long time, has been around the NBA for a long long time, and he said, you're sleeping on how great Shay Gilgis Alexander is. I said, well, what do you mean he could be Jordan like? And I go, well, he goes, no, let me finish. He could be Jordan like in his ability to be able to score. He doesn't score like Michael, but he can score as often as Michael, so not style points, but he can get you thirty to thirty five a night and for a long period of time, like for years to come.
Speaker 3: And I said, okay, but you know what else does he do?
Speaker 2: Because we do focus on his scoring, I said, Joker is one of the most unselfish players in the game, and he can stay like he'll give you a triple double. He could easily get thirty thirty five. But he's also getting you ten assist a game, and he's also getting you twelve rebounds. Again, but this is a longtime NBA person, said Shay Gilgis, Alexander could be the next Jordan, only in this category of his ability to be able to score thirty to thirty five a night. I said, well, James Harden could do that. He said yes, And I said Harden also got a lot of assist as well. We'll look back on James Harden and Russell Westbrook's careers and go, how do you define what they did? Because Russell Westbrook, when he's the main guy, was great, a statistical anomaly, like it's like, damn that guy. And I loved watching him play. When he's not the main guy, that's when it's trouble because he still thinks at times he's the main guy. And he cost Denver last night, missed a layup, mister free throw, fouled a shooter at the end of the game that cost them. But when he was the main guy, he was great. But look of all the teams that he's played on, and Harden's played on, Carmelo played on, Iverson played on. These guys were all looking for a championship. Joker's got a championship already, and maybe shake Gilgess Alexander gets this. And I know I spend far more time on this than I need to, But what you're seeing with Joker makes him the best player in the game. And for those who want to bring out the is Shay gild just a good defensive player? Because I haven't heard anybody say, you know, he's a lockdown defender, but they'll use that as a negative against Joker. Defensive rebounds. That means you're playing defense with the rebounds, and he's one of the I think he's the top center with steals. Those are defensive. You know, statistics here, who's a lockdown defender anymore? By the way, when Steph went unanimous MVP, did anybody say, yeah, but does he play defense?
Speaker 3: We pick and choose, like you want Shay Gilg's.
Speaker 2: Vote for him, absolutely, but don't go you know, Joker doesn't play defense.
Speaker 8: Yes, I kind of view those things as just individual skills, Like we don't look at say a great spot up shooter, like man, this dude just you know, fifty three is a night or whatever, like yeah, but what's his assist But you know what I mean, you just take people for what they give you, the positives, and then if you're looking for a negative, you can throw that on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just I don't like when you give me a reason I'm not voting for that. Guy as opposed to I'm voting for this guy. I'm fine with that. Joe el embiid you want to vote for him, great, he's not the MVP, but he had a wonderful year. And I put my ballot where my mouth is. I voted for Jordan every year when I voted, I voted for him every year. Karl Malone was wonderful, Charles Barkley wonderful. They won MVPs. There was nobody more valuable than Mike plain and simple bottom line, it's weird that Lebron has it. Lebron's not going to win another MVP, but what was his last one? Twenty twelve, I mean thirteen years ago.
Speaker 12: Yes, Marvin, I think with Shae, I don't think it's joker fatigue. I think the fact that Shae's averaging thirty three on a team that's up by twelve games in the Western Conference really helps his case.
Speaker 2: Okay, if they were in second place with Shay Gilgers Alexander win the MVP, No, See, that's silly.
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: So if the thunder are in second place in the West, then he's not as valuable to his team.
Speaker 12: But I think it makes the voting for him that much easier. Yeah, they're up ten games in the West.
Speaker 2: Okay, But voters need to watch basketball. They need to watch on a nightly basis. Jay Gilgess is a great player. If they were in third place, you could still make a case for him being an m V pick. They you know, we voters here, you want it easy. I don't know how to figure this out. Yeah, how do I How do I separate? Nobody has said anything about Donovan Mitchell. Nobody there. They have the best record in the East, and they're surpassing the Celtics who won the title.
Speaker 12: Yes, I think it helps when you have one solo star Tatum and Brown. That's gonna hurt them winning the MVP Award because they're gonna say, hey, this guy's have twenty five, this guy's averaging twenty three. It's a Donovan Mitchell effect. Don Mitchell's not averaging thirty three. If he was averaging thirty three, it'd be a much bigger place.
Speaker 3: Do you think that he would be the MVP. No, yes, he wouldn't.
Speaker 12: Well, I'm only saying that because I think I'm going back to the thunder up ten to eleven, twelve games, in the West.
Speaker 3: Kay, So that was it.
Speaker 2: Calves got the best record? Did they have the best record in basketball? Do they still have it?
Speaker 7: Thunder has sixty three wins, Calves have sixty.
Speaker 2: Okay, well there for a while they had the best record in basketball. But you didn't hear anything about Donovan Mitchell because he wasn't putting up gaudy numbers. I mean, even joker, joker, what'd he take eighteen shots a game normally very economical and he has to do everything for his team everything. He's their best passer, best rebounder, and he's their best scorer.
Speaker 3: That's value.
Speaker 12: But yeah, Marto is very achem Elijahwan like. As far as the Nuggets in the Rockets, comparing those two teams, they don't have another All Star. Even though Jamal Murray's a really good postseason player, He's never made an All Star team. So it makes it that much easier to vote for somebody like Jogert that's putting up those numbers.
Speaker 2: All right, I got sidetracked here because we were talking about the best player in their respective sport. Any argument with Otani With baseball, he is standalone best player in the game. You want to put Aaron Judge in there one Sodo.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just figure I had to put him in there. Otani is global kind of McDavid I think, widely considered best player in the NHL. You know they'll be pushback on Mahomes. Is he the best player in the NFL. Like, it's really hard to say who's the best player in the NFL because Josh Allen you can make a case with what he did with that team after you know, they lost a lot of players, Stefan Diggs and he was wonderful. But Lamar Jackson's won a couple MVPs. Mahomes may not win another MVP. Could it be if you started your team right now today, would you take Patrick Mahomes over any other quarterback? Would you take Connor McDavid over anybody? Would you take Joker? Would you take Otani? I take O'tani Joker because of the age, maybe not, but Connor McDavid definitely Mahomes. See Mahomes, I just want him in the postseason. You know, it's just when it comes to and that's value, Yes, that's value.
Speaker 7: Yes, bony I asked Dylan, the graphics guy who knows hockey and he said, Connor McDavid. I think he finished third in the MVP last year to McKinnon, but he's still considered the best player in the sport. And Mahomes the past two years seventh and sixth in the MVP. But I think if it came down to it, everyone's gonna say Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson. I still think you're gonna add Mahomes as your quarterback because you've seen what he could do on the biggest stage, and the other two have not even gotten to the biggest stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean that's Tom Brady's stats. Aside from that one year with Randy Moss, I never focused on his stats. I just thought that guy, when you get to the playoffs, that's your MVP. Now, that doesn't mean how many MVPs did Brady win?
Speaker 3: Do we even know?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say three? Okay, three? Okay, I was just gonna say two, Yes, PAULI.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I have Tom Brady with three league MVPs, which means during his prime he didn't win it fourteen times.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're gonna hold that against it, well, but what'd you do the other fourteen years?
Speaker 3: Tom? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I went to Super Bowl half my half my career. It's like Lebron Lebron half of his career, he's gone to the NBA Finals. They're close to that. I mean, that's the remarkable. That's what I want, the consistency of year in and year out, not you know, you had a five year run or seven year run now pretty much an entire career where I was a threat to win another championship.
Speaker 7: Point You've said this one hundred times. The MVP, like the Heisman, is storyline based. It's not best player on Earth. If we gave out awards best player on Earth, you know, and not just based off this season, it'd be a different topic.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: If you got some suggestions, and is there another year or another portion in sports time that you remember that you had baseball, basketball, hockey and the NFL where you had a standalone one person and you said that guy's the best.
Speaker 3: Now, I was thinking about.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, I don't know the year, but it would have been Sandy Kofax and Jim Brown were stand loan baseball and football. I don't know, I'm gonna guess at that time, would Bill Russell have been the standalone guy or would it have been Will Chamberlain. And then when it comes to uh in hockey back in this Gordie Howell.
Speaker 7: Maybe Yeah, Well I was looking at the mid to late eighties and you can make the case that late eighties Jerry Rice was the best player in football at any position. I mean he was first team All Pro many years in a row. Michael Jordan would have been the best basketball player, Wayne Gretzky the best hockey player. But baseball there wasn't a standout. I went through the MVPs the late eighties and there's not a lot of repeats. There's like Mike Schmidt and Andre Dawson and Jose you know, Roger Clemens, but not a guy who was just like Bonds in the nineties, I was ultra dominant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, maybe this audience they can come up with a kind of an era where you had to standalone that guy was the best player in his sport. Kevin in Austin, Hi, Kevin, what's on your mining today?
Speaker 13: We's VP. I just wanted to weigh in on the push push controversy, and then I had a question for the ministry humor in the back the push push is pretty simple to me. I mean, you're not allowed TJ. Watson not allowed to pick up Bryce Young and just carry him into the end zone for a safety. So just don't allow people to push them forward. But the overall question I've been thinking about this since yesterday is what and how much amount of food would the Minister of humor have at a Coastal Carolina game?
Speaker 3: M All right, how much would you? Now?
Speaker 2: Coastal Carolina is offering free food for their fans at their football games this year.
Speaker 5: I think I can do at least three hot dogs. I don't think I would do more than one nachos, and i'd probably see if they had a mountain dew or a cocas, somepthing or drink wise, but yeah, I think I can do could do three or four hot dogs pretty easily because they don't give you the giant ones. They'll give you the regular, you know, average size one, so spread it out every two winnings of a hot dog.
Speaker 3: I could do four. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: Pull A bunch of years ago, Mark Cuban of the MAVs was nice enough to let us use his family box for a game, and it had a spread of food seat.
Speaker 8: And you were right there with his parents were there like yeah, it was like the Cuban family, Oh hey, and us and there was tons of food and drink.
Speaker 7: Fritzy was not satisfied with the spread that mister Cuban put out for us and went to the concession stand and spent twenty four dollars on himself.
Speaker 5: And then there were certain things I was looking for, and it just u I still had the other stuff too, but I was like, you know, I just was looking for a certain type of I don't know if there was certain hamburger I wanted, had a craving for a big pretzel and a mountain dew. Those things weren't in the old suite there, so I went rogue a little bit.
Speaker 3: You can't order things in the suitet.
Speaker 5: I don't want to be that guy. It's like, I noticed you don't have the Can you make a special cookie for me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: See, by the way, the tray of food that Ted came back with. I don't know what has done since then, but if that was twenty four dollars, it would easily be three hundred and fifty dollars today because he had like a cheeseburger, a chicken, sandwich fries, curly fries, onion, rings of pretzel, a mountain dew and like.
Speaker 3: Vanilla ice creams norstfielder great. You see he sat down and we were like, damn dude.
Speaker 5: Cardboard the cardboard box was starting to kind of tear, holding on.
Speaker 1: Definitely to the handler.
Speaker 2: All right, let me take a break. More phone calls coming up, and our play of the day right after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 7: WAB Oh my God.
Speaker 2: The Play of the day.
Speaker 4: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 1: Check this out to two pitch swug on high fly ball deep.
Speaker 9: Lat Field, Bellanger, back track, wall e Gon, the Grand Slap sorres head a dagger to the ages lates as the Diamondbacks now take us seven.
Speaker 3: To four lead. Courtesy of the Diamondbacks Radio Network.
Speaker 2: That's your play of the day, brought to you by Rapid Radios, the official walkie talkie of The Dan Patrick Show. Push to Talk nationwide lt coverage service, no subscriptions. Business owners, stay connected with your employees anywhere up to two hundred at one time. One hundred percent private ready to go right out of the box, and rapid radios dot com up to sixty percent off and free ship. Pick I noticed this due to the heavy deferred contracts that the Dodgers have. The Mets have the highest payroll in Major League Baseball at three hundred and twenty three million. Dodgers, even with the deferred contracts, are second at three twenty one. Then it's Theankees two ninety three, Phillies to eighty four, the Blue Jays at two thirty nine, the Rangers at two twenty Atlanta boy Atlanta's off to a terrible start and injuries to fourteen Podres two to eight, Cubs one ninety six, Diamondbacks one ninety five. Not many times did I tune into a Texas Ranger game, but but I did.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: A friend of mine was who watches a lot of baseball. He said, hey, gave me the channel. I said, oh, okay, Rangers are on. I thought he was talking about hockey, so I'm like, uh, this is baseball. He goes, yeah, look what's going on. Nathan Valdi through ninety nine pitches, he allowed four hits. He had eight strikeouts. First complete game of the season. I was like, oh my god, I'm watching a pitcher completing game and it's a big deal. Beat the Reds one to nothing. He has five complete games since the start of twenty twenty two. Only two other active pitchers have more.
Speaker 3: Stat of the.
Speaker 10: Day sat the day that stead of the day, stead of the day, it comes that what stat.
Speaker 3: Of the day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you tune in to watch Nathan Devoldi close out the Reds ninety nine pitches. Well, if he got to one hundred, they probably would have had to take him out. Yes, Baul.
Speaker 7: Complete games are so rare these days. You almost wonder what the manager's thinking. Having his star in April through a complete game. That's it almost be questioned.
Speaker 2: And it's a one nothing game, and I kept thinking, all right, you've got to come out because you you know, you're you're worried about him tiring. And then all of a sudden, you know, the Reds got some firepower and left him in. I thought, yeah, I'm trying to remember last time I saw a complete game. I didn't see the entire complete game, but I saw the end of a complete game. So congratulations Sue, Nathan Ivoldi, Tim and Vermont Hi, Tim, what's on your mind?
Speaker 4: Hey, damn, A couple of things for you. Favorite Dell Chilmer film nineteen ninety two, Thunderheart Awesome. I don't know if you've ever seen it for sure. And then the second the second thing is Liam McNeely going to the NBA from yukon thirty four percent shooting percentage as a freshman, and I don't think so, probably ought to stay another year. What do you think?
Speaker 2: You know, they want to go, and he showed that he had a game. But you know today's NBA. Is he gonna splay time with the G League? It's going to get any playing time. But these guys are ready to go. Yeah, Marvin and an NBA. It's really an age thing. I always go back to Dalton Connect. If he was read Shepherd's age, he would have gone third overall. Well because he's nineteen. Those guys, you know what, Hey, let's get these guys at nineteen and hopefully they're an All star by the time they're twenty three, when they should be rookies in the NBA. Also, if Dalton Connect had been European, he probably would have been top five pick Connected.
Speaker 3: Yes, Connect, Yeah, yes, Paul.
Speaker 7: I'm looking at a mock draft that came out this morning, and the first thirteen people in the mock draft are nineteen or younger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, let me see JJ in Cincinnati. Hi, JJ, hey man, hey, real quick.
Speaker 4: That's Val Kilmer.
Speaker 3: Movie I always liked was wonder jj MI on a speakerphone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you are giving the dog a shower real quick.
Speaker 1: We're all in.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I got my hands over.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair enough priorities, okay.
Speaker 13: Okay, Wonderland uh and Spartan for Val Kima was one.
Speaker 3: Of the best. Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not too familiar with his filmography, but I thought he was spectacular as Jim Morrison.
Speaker 3: He was Jim Morrison in the Doors.
Speaker 8: That's one of those performances where you forget what the real Jim Morrison looks like, because now he looks like Val Kilner's version of it.
Speaker 3: That's a great point. Yeah, that's how good he was. Yeah he was. I didn't like the casting of Meg Ryan, but you know, it's okay.
Speaker 2: She's more of a cutesy Harry met Sally for me America's sweetheart there for a while. But Jim Morrison leather pants, he took on the persona there, Uh Dave in Indianapolis, Hi Dave.
Speaker 4: The five nine five.
Speaker 13: As far as most valuable baseball players in the eighties, it's gotta be cal Ripton Jr.
Speaker 4: Who won the World Series in eighty three. Mister Ireland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if people considered him the best player. I think he was one of the most popular. Did win an MVP. He won an MVP for a last place team, him and Andre Dawson. We could have finished last without you, you know that. But yeah, yeah, trying to find an era where you go there was a clear delineation of that's the best player in everybody else in your respective sports Hockey, Baseball, basketball, football, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 12: Early nineties, is it? Jordan Bonds, Gretzky.
Speaker 3: Okay, And then we're leaving out one sport.
Speaker 12: Oh, you guys got to come up with football. Maybe Barry Sanders, Emma Smith, but there's no clear in nineteen ninety two, ninety three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mark Sanchez, former quarterback, will join us. We'll talk about the rule changes as well more of your phone calls as well.
Speaker 3: Hour two on this Wednesday, right around the corner