Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Away and I'm Nielle Alercone. I'm John Green. Today, friends, we're making predictions. It's happening. It's actually happening.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: How do you feel, John, You're confident in your picks.
Speaker 2: I feel like you're going to have to write another novel so that you will have a place to put my name.
Speaker 1: Wow, Juan beb here we come all right? Okay. We also wanted to lay out the terms of our bet and also reiterate our invitation to all the listeners to join our bracket because we're gonna ount surprise. This is. Yeah, we've come out kind of strongly against against betting, but I think this is kind of a betting thing we can all get get behind, right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna give the winner of awayendbracket dot Com some signed books, So nothing to get too excited about. It is just an obligation to read, which in twenty twenty six probably feels more annoying to you than anything. But yeah, it's an opportunity to have some signed books.
Speaker 1: You can also use those books if you park on a hill and you want to put them under your tire, you know, I mean, you know, whatever you want. No one's saying you have to read them. Yeah, it's up to you, Daniel.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you saw the news story, but in Cheyenne, Wyoming, someone went into a local library and burned a copy of my book Paper Towns on the floor of the lobby. What what Yeah, no, I missed that.
Speaker 1: I don't have I don't have a Googler for your name. But how Yeah, that's so, why do I forgive you? How do you feel complicated?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm glad, you know, glad to always bring about big feelings and readers. But maybe that wasn't necessarily the one I was going for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just give it one star on Amazon, like you know, just why do you gotta go burn it?
Speaker 2: Exactly if you don't like it? There's always good reading.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's always good reason. We can just vent to your heart's content. I would burn this book in a public library. But that's that's illegal. Wow, that's that's crazy. I had a friend one time who moved and in the course of his move, basically all of his belongings were stolen, except like a bag of books that included the novel that I've given him. That because the thieves were like, no, this is just too heavy to carry and there's no TV red pile right now. Yeah, exactly, all right, So we got.
Speaker 2: To make our predictions, but first you wanted to have a quick conversation about de b Martinez.
Speaker 1: Yes, because the reason we're going to do this is because there we're giving out some predictions for you know, for for things like Golden Glove, golden boot, et cetera, in addition to our semi finalists. But what was funny was that John and I and we were texting, we had starkly different interpretations of an iconic moment from the last World Cup, which is when Debu Emiliano Martinez, the goalkeeper of Argentina, was given his award for the Golden Glove and made what can only be called an obscene gesture basically to the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the most obscene gesture you can imagine. He took the trophy and put it on his crotch to imply that he had the trophy.
Speaker 1: A five fingered penis. Yes, yes, his penis has five fingers. Yes, that was the implication For our listeners who don't know much about Emiliano Martinez and his personality. Could you describe him. Granted, neither you nor I know him as a human being. I'm you know, I'm sure he's a nice guy, but just who is he on the pitch and off the pitch? The kind of personality he exudes, well.
Speaker 2: I would say that in third and fourth tier English football, there's a saying that sometimes you need someone who's a little bit crazy and understands the dark arts of football, and Emiliano Martinez understands the dark arts of football. And also he is he's an unpredictable character, Daniel. I mean, you never know when he's going to take a trophy and just just do that, because that wasn't the first time he's done that. To be fair, he also did it with the Copa America trophy.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah. I would say that there was a question that we had in our Mailbag episode about goalkeepers, and I would say that Debu exemplifies the like there may be a screw loose with this, you know, world class athlete that allows him to be who he is and be as successful as he is because he's he's a he's a wild one. I was a fan of his until he left Arsenal, and then he made a point of like dabbing a finger in our eye collective by every time he played us. And my favorite Deebu Martinez moment was when he he scored an own goal because a shot ricocheted off the back of the post, hit him in the head and went in as like a late late, you know, ninetieth minute winter That was just a lovely, hilarious moment. So we had different interpretations of this. You said that you thought this was like one of the greatest moments in World Cup history.
Speaker 2: I was kidding when I said it was one of the greatest moments of World Cup history.
Speaker 1: But I did think it was.
Speaker 2: I thought it was very in line with who he is, and I wasn't offended by it. You you, with all of your taciturn value driven family system, apparently, yeah, your finger wagon, you apparently found this deeply offensive.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, now it seems a little bit pearl clutching, but you're right. I just it seems and I don't think there's much argument here. It just seem pretty undignified, and I was undignified, and I just want my winners to be dignified. I don't know, maybe that's too much top. Also, when we were thinking, we were talking about it. I was thinking that for every other person on the on that Argentina squad walking pass and receiving their winner's medal was the fulfillment of a childhood dream, and for Diebou Martinez, it was slightly different. It was not the fulfillment of a childhood dream. It was like the could the fulfillment of a childhood promise that he'd made, like on like some scrabvelly gravelly playground in Argentina somewhere with like his two derelic friends who's like are named like a loco or something, and he'd promise them at age eleven that one day he would win the Golden Glove and then he would pretend that it was his dick basically and just like attach it to his crotch in front of you know, gazillion people watching, and everyone laughed. His two friends laughed, and he's like, I'm going to do that. This was a solemn promise that he'd made. And I just felt to me, I guess if you want to put a positive spin on it, and I think you do. We have someone who is can only be himself and yeah, and there's no you know, you can put a tuxedo on him. He's still going to be that kid on the playground who's like me against the world. Baby, let me you know, I'm going to show them and uh and I guess that's admirable. But just a little bit of we talked about media training last week, John, I'm pretty sure no media trainer would have been like, you know, Emiliano, make sure you're when you're standing in from the shake of you know, Qatar, you do this at the stadium. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm just he kept his promise, Daniel, and I kept on him in favor of people keeping their promises. Good, good, good, Okay, all right, all right, fair enough, Daniel, let's move on. Who is going to win the World Cup.
Speaker 1: Spain? That's my pick, and that's my pick. Who are going to be the four semi finalists. Well, I've been changing this up until the very last moment. And there may or may not be glitches in our bracket at Racket at Away and bracket dot com. Yeah, exactly. Please to all our listeners, we are working on the glitches. So we'll be we'll be working on this up up until you know, the kickoff of the first game. But what basically I have France, Spain, Morocco, Argentina and the final is Spain Argentina. But in previous iterations I had South Korea for some reason going all the way to the Semis. I also had Brazil sort of like pulling up together and getting into the Semis. I had Belgium beating Spain. You know, like, I really could go any any which way, and I think I'm gonna change it in the course of of uh, you know, of the tournament, you know, before we get to the knockouts. But anyway, this is my sense right now at this moment, I think Spain has like there's not there's there's not a dud on that team, you know. And even though you could argue that France has a better attacking, better attacking players, I feel like, having watched the performance last night against Ivory Coast, I was not super impressed with their defense, and I feel like Spain now they just controlled the midfield. You can't you can't score if you never get the ball, right, Yeah, that's what I think.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I have current I mean, I I'm struggling here, so I have in the quarters I have Brazil, England, Argentina, Columbia, Spain, Turkey, France, Morocco. After that, I don't feel confident at all going into the Semis because I think any of those eight teams could win any of those four games. And I'm going to say England. Hm, I'm gonna say Brazil. I just changed my mind. I'm gonna say Brazil Argentina. I just don't think it one can do it in the heat. I think the heat is going to be.
Speaker 1: Too much for them.
Speaker 2: Brazil, Argentina, France, and Spain are my quarter finalists and my champion. Since you picked Spain, I will pick France.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, France is definitely not gonna win it. You can you could, okay, sign Spain. I will pick England. Okay, okay, all right, great, great, these are these are deeply held convictions. I have my final France versus England, and since you're convinced that France is not going to win it, I'll pick England. Wow, that's all it takes. That's convinced that. Then Debu's friend in local you know, let's get Sean here, because Sean also has some picks. Yeah, I have some picks here.
Speaker 3: Guys, and I I'm aligned with a lot of your picks, but I gotta say, like they it just they feel a little basic and a little a little boring to me because it's like so obvious or something like that. Like I have France, Spain, England, and Argentina and my semi final bracket and identical to mine Spain and Argentina, and the final was Spain winning.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And again it's like, is that like the equivalent of like, and it's like the equivalent of just picking all the number one seeds going against each other if there was a seeding like that. Yeah, but they usually do end up that way.
Speaker 1: True. So I think it's I think you're making reasonable picks if you're trying to get your name into one of our books, and you are, so I think you're making the right call. I think there will be some surprises. I think France. I mean, I love France, I love the French, I love French literature, French food and Paris and blah blah blah. But I kind of would love it if France didn't do well this time. I think it'd be pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, I think they've got a really tough potential game in the round of sixteen if they end up playing some one like Ecuador. Yeah, and then they could play someone like Morocco and that could be a hard game as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't look great last night. Their finishing was terrible. I got to say, the Ivorian goalkeeper for the final was played an incredible match. But again it goes back to those things like do you how much do you read into the into these friendlies. You know, you have to assume that when it comes down to it, they'll have them Beleles starting and he'll put the ball in the back of the net.
Speaker 2: So, guys, I just realized that I said Brazil was going to make the semifinals and then England was going to win the tournament. After taking England out of the semifinals, I just want to state my picks for the record. My picks are England, Argentina, France, Spain and the Semis England to win the tournament. Sorry, Brazil, love much love to Brazil.
Speaker 1: Great. Okay, that's exciting. I was actually talking to a friend of mine, Brazilian friend Daigo, and he said that he'd be happy with the quarterfinals, that there's just not a lot of the enthusiast or confidence right now in the Brazilian squad. So we'll see. Okay, so we've got our winners, which we'll admit our little basic and the caveat being that we can all go in and change our picks on away in bracket dot Com up until pickoff of the Mexico game tomorrow. Let's do Golden Boot, Sean, Yeah, I'll start. This is actually the only other award that I had made a pick for, so but yeah, for Golden Boot, I have Arling Holland from Norway. Holland topped the Premier League scoring charts for the third time this season. He scored twenty seven goals and thirty five appearances in the regular season for Manchester City. But the reason I'm going with Erling is not so much due to his scoring prowess. I'm going with Arling because I don't know if you guys have seen the official Norway team photo that was just released. It's unbelievable. King Theme. This is like, this is the coolest photo.
Speaker 3: I've ever seen in my life. And because of that, I'm like a huge Arling fan. Now, I think that's great. I don't think it's.
Speaker 1: Great that you call him Earling like like, no, no, you're like you're his friend. Yet you were saying I was mispronouncing. No, you're doing a great Job's perfectly pronounced you. Since you guys are homies in text all the time. Obviously then because everyone everyone else who we call him Holland because that's his on the back of his jersey. But I think it's great that you guys have that level of intimacy, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I'll continue that tradition by going with Harry Harry Kane. Since England are going to win the tournament, it follows logically that Harry Kane is going to score a lot of goals, and Harold Kane is my pick for the Golden boot hmm.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going with this mondn Bell for France. I thought France are going out in the quarters, but he's gonna score sixteen goals before that. Okay, I don't know. I'm not sure there's no logic to this. This is I'm just going on on vibes and you know my gut, John, Let's just just yeah, BELLI is a great player. Yeah, it's a great pick. Okay, all right, Golden Glove, Golden Glove.
Speaker 2: I am going to go with the one, the only, deb Martinez, just in case don't win the World Cup. I think Debo Martinez might win the Golden Glove.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he will certainly do the gesture once more if he does. I'm gonna go with whoever is Spain's goalkeeper? Uh, No, you've got to pick. Is it going to be Unici Mohler. Is it going to be David Rayah or Joan Garcia? Right? Yeah? They got three great goalkeepers, they got three extraordinary goalkeepers. I'm going no, I don't have to pick the name. I'm saying, whoever Spain ends up putting in goal will win the Golden Glove. That's what I'm saying. Whether it's right Garcia or or Simon. Yeah, I'm going to allow it, but reluctantly. Reluctantly Okay, and what was our last thing we're picking? No, we gotta have Sean pick a Golden Glove winner.
Speaker 3: Oh, Sean, I didn't do my I didn't do my full research here, so I don't have I don't have a Golden Glove pick.
Speaker 1: Just pick an keeper. Yeah, yeah, it'll be fine.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, I'm going to go with the American keeper.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what, if the American keeper wins the Golden Glove, We're going to have a hell of a fun tournament.
Speaker 1: I mean that that will be that will be awesome. It'll be a bunch of nil nil draws. He'll win the Golden Glove without getting out of the group three nil nil draws now with fifteen saves apiece. Yeah, exactly is it gonna be? What's his name? The god? Who is it going to be? Matt Turner? Mattie Turner, Oh god, Matt Turner. Remember him. He's a good shot stopper. I do remember him? Yeah, No, I do. He's a good shot stopper. He's not a great distributor of the ball. No, he's not. He's not super nice guy from all appearances. Yeah, seems lovely. Seems lovely. Okay, so great. I think we're set. Oh we had one more that was like they give out a Golden Boy award, right, Yeah, which is an odd name, but Golden Boys like best young player. And I think I'm going to go with the only candidate that is gonna really be in the in contention for this, and that's La Mina Mal.
Speaker 2: I'm also going to go with Gloomina Mal and Sean even though you didn't do your research, you're going to go with Gloomina Mal.
Speaker 3: Actually I have a pick. Okay, I have a pick in keeping with the US men's national team for my pick. So I'm going with Tim Weya.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And that is because of his again, this is my unorthodox picks, but his incredible piano playing skills. I don't know if you guys have seen Tim Weya tickle the eye is, but he's a He's a fantastic piano player.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. I did not know that.
Speaker 2: I knew that he was the former the son of former Liberian President George Way, but I did not know that he was also a piano player. That man contains multitudes. Yeah, Golden Boy and love it all right? Great, So those are picks.
Speaker 1: Of course, we're all going to be wrong about most of these, but yep, that's what's fun about it. Okay, Away and bracket dot Com. Let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. Okay, we're back on the away and we are going to talk about it. Some of the games, the kind of for interesting games in the first few days of the World Cup that you will all be enjoying. I we're going to talk about Mexico South Africa against Paraguay, Brazil, Morocco, Netherlands, and Japan, four games that I picked at random, very interesting games, plus the Mexico and US games, John, which you want to talk about.
Speaker 2: First, Let's start by talking about the epicenter of global culture and well being, the United States of America.
Speaker 1: Huh yes, sure, Okay, what are your thoughts on the United States of America these days? Things are going great? Right, going great? Yeah, they're good, They're good. Things are great.
Speaker 2: I just read your New Yorker article about the political situation in Peru, which.
Speaker 1: Made me feel less alone. At least. A friend of mine wrote me and she was like, great, piece, let's all go jump off a cliff. Yeah, it's a little stark the situation there. Yeah, okay, So US Paraguay. I think Paraguay is a very tough opponent for the US. I think this is far from a given.
Speaker 2: I don't know, oh where Paraguay's goals are going to come from, but I also don't know necessarily where the US's goals are going to come from. I agree with you that it's far from a given. If the US doesn't win this game, I think the rest of the tournament starts to look very stark because of the pressure, and so I think that they're going to find a way to win. They looked pretty dark. Admittedly they weren't, you know, playing against Senegal's best eleven, but they looked pretty good against Senegal. They were playing pretty entertaining football, and they were attacking, and they looked fairly good. I think that they're going to beat Paraguay, but I agree with you, it is not a given and it is not going to be an easy game.
Speaker 1: Anyone who's watched South American qualifying matches or Copamaica matches knows that Paraguay what they're known for is their really tough defense. Yeah, they're like the Italians of South America. And if they had use of this very famous goalkeeper Chi la Vet, who was extraordinary, but they're just tough to break down. They don't score a ton of goals. You're right, but I could easily see this being a one to one or a nil nil even because they're not gonna and they also they're not gonna wilt in the heat. They're not going to be like, oh, it's too hot for play here, you know, so I don't know. I think I would go for a draw on this one. And I think that puts you in a difficult position for sure. And I mean it means they have to beat Australia because I don't think they're going to beat Turkey. A Yeah, for sure. I was happy to see the goals coming for Christian Pulicic. I think it. I mean, this is not like top shelf analysis here, this is pretty basic. But it's like if he's not playing well, the US doesn't have a shot. You know, he's he's been He's been generally pretty great in a in a US Jersey, and I hope he has a good tournament. Yeah, me too, me too.
Speaker 2: And I'm it was encouraging to see him get both a goal and in this and hopefully I never know though, Like people talk about striker confidence and attacking confidence and everything, I'd never know if that's really a thing. I assume that like once the goals start going in, it's easier for the goals to get in the.
Speaker 1: Whole absolutely thing. Absolutely, Okay. I remember a game, if you'll indulge me. I used to play in this indoor league GA Roosevelt Island in New York back in the nineties, and it was like the semi final or something like that, and it was like one of these kind of like very egalitarian like hippie dippy teams where like, you know, everyone plays the nical amount of time and you know, but I was just like cooking that day and I had come off and we needed a goal to win, and I was not the next person in line to come in in our kind of like you know, socialist like everyone plays an eical amount of time rotation. And the guy that was going in, I just grabbed his jersey and I was like, let me go in, which was like probably one of the most confident things I've ever done. And he was like huh and I was. I just like literally grabbed his ers, even pulled him back, went on and scored the winning goal like with my next touch, and I just knew it. It was just like one of those you know they said they in the NBA they used to call that like feeding the pig, you know, like whoever's high, you just give them the ball. So anyway, I was the pig that day. I totally think that's a thing.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, then Christian Poistic is going to be the Daniel Anacon of this World Cup exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move to Mexico, South Africa, shall we? So who do you like in this game? Daniel? I think Mexico's going to crush this game, not because Mexico's you know, great shakes, but because they're playing at home one hundred thousand fans. You know, Mexico loves a three man and it's not like they're the crowd will be the twelfth man. The crowd will be like the twelfth, thirteenth, fourteenth, and fifteenth man, you know, Like, I just don't see any way the South Africa will stand the pressure of playing in the that cauldron. So I have Mexico winning this to nothing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I feel like this is the weakest Mexican team I've seen in a long time. And I also share your belief that it won't matter that much because playing in Mexico is such an advantage for them. I mean, just the cauldron of noise, the intimidation factor, all that stuff is so real, and I think that Mexico will win this game. I also think that Mexico are going to easily advance out of their group, and then I think they're probably going to struggle, but I think that they're going to make it out.
Speaker 1: Of the group, no problem. Oh easily, I think so. I think so too. I remember also the this and that's one of the things I love about the World Cup is there's like rematches of games like four years later, you know, or eight years later or sixteen years later in this case, twenty ten. Opening game in the South Africa World Cup, the first World Cup in Africa was Mexico versus South Africa, and there was what was his name, like shallabala Orda an incredible goal for Southrica. Oh my god, beautiful goal. But Mexico stayed in it. Mexico didn't lose their heads and they went and they got the tie goal, which was a great result for them. I don't know, I totally see Mexico winning this one.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about Morocco versus Brazil. What an opening round matchup that is.
Speaker 1: Wow, I am so excited. This is actually you know, a lot of opening round games are are going to be kind of filler, but this is this one is going to be a highlight to me. It's where we really get to see how good Brazil is. We really get to see if Angelotti has been able to mold into a team because Morocco is although they are not Champions of Africa, they are a legit national side. You know, they made it. They did not make it to the same finals last time by accident. They are a very good team with very talented players, and I'm I'm super psyched to see this game. If Brazil wins this game, I think that they will there will be a huge boost of confidence that could propel them to to start, you know, to really go far in the tournament. I think, I hope.
Speaker 2: So I think the reason that Brazil will win this game is the same reason your friend said that the quarterfinals would be a good result for Brazil, which is that this year it feels like the pressure is off a little bit versus most times Brazil goes to the World Cup, when there is the expectation that it is win or fail, and that's so much pressure, that's so intense. And I do think that while this is not the most talent to Brazil side we've ever seen, they're plenty good. It's not like they have bad players. And if Anchuatti can get them to play as a team. He showed himself to be a great man manager, a great manager of superstars. I don't see why he wouldn't get them to play as a team. They're going to be very, very good. I agree with you that Morocco do certainly play as a team and are really talented and I could see them going far in this World Cup and I think they're going to be one and two coming out of that group. However it works out. Sorry Scotland, sorry Haiti, but I do think that Brazil is going to edge that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Okay, last, but certainly not least. Netherlands versus Japan. I find this to be fascinating because Netherlands is stacked and I feel like, yeah, you know, this might be the most talented crop of Japanese players in a generation, and I'm super syd to see how they do so. And also physically it's a real interesting matchup because the players are like gigantic and the Japanese players are not. And I always think back to this moment that I think we've mentioned on the pot before, but you know this Japan against Belgium, you know, round of sixteen or quarterfinal twenty eighteen, they had a corner kick in the last minute of extra time and instead of just playing it safe, they I mean you could argue recklessly, you know, like kicked it straight into the middle into the mixer, hoping that one of their tiny Japanese players was going to get a header on it over Virgil van Dyke, which did not happen. He's Belgian is taken. No, no, yes, no, sorry exactly, I'm I'm conflating this matchup against the giant European side with that matchup against the giant European side, and the Belgians obviously cleared it, went down the field and scored within like seven seconds, leading the devastated Japanese players on the pitch wondering why they had and so optimistic to think they were finally going to win a header in the box. I love that about Japan. I just love it. I love that sort of like, you know, we're not we're not playing around here. We're we're here to win even against uh you know odds and uh you know the height advantages, and you know all that, be damned, We're gonna play. I love that. That reminds me of the great Japanese indy car driver to Kumisanto, whose motto is no attack, no chance. Right, what is it you missed all the shots you don't take right exact which I used to know how to say that in Japanese but I've forgotten. So all right, this is an this is Those are our exciting games. Feel free to drop as the line tell us what your most anticipated games are going to be in the first week or so of the tournament. We should take a quick break downe sure, and and come back and read a couple of letters. And then I'm gonna let you go off to Norway. Yeah great, we'll be back. All right, We're back on the way end. Sean, we have some letters we do.
Speaker 3: Thank you again to everybody who is sending in their letters to Awaynpod at gmail dot com. We love reading them. Today's first letter comes from Molly. Molly writes, Dear Daniel, John and Sean. I will be in England for much of the World Cup, largely to spend time with a very beautiful man who sometimes hangs.
Speaker 1: Out with me. He is a football obsessive and has been for forty years, but in a bit of a strange way, he has truly genuinely no loyalties to any team.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: He watches all of the Premier League games, but with an equal level of investment. This is incredible, his interest only being in the sport as a concept and the specific play that is happening in front of him. He has a few players that he loves, but almost all of them are retired, so that doesn't change who he roots for. He roots for no one. It's all varies in and enlightened probably, and it will be the same way for the World Cup. I am an excitable American who would kill and die for the Philadelphia Phillies and in fact any team that plays in southeastern Pennsylvania. Being that I will be watching about one thousand hours of football soon, I have pretty arbitrarily chosen to support Haiti, Paraguay and Kurasou regardless of their prospects, which the Beautiful Man thinks is insane from his perspective in a sport I've only started growing attached to. Why wouldn't I just watch neutrally? He doesn't see any benefit to it and thinks it's a more detrimental us versus them, a rational way of a rational way of looking at the world.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 3: How am I supposed to watch games sitting next to a man so devoid of the beauty of irrational love? I am so so into him? Please help? Thanks for the pod, Molly.
Speaker 2: So Molly, first off, we can tell that you're so so into him. You you didn't need to say that. It's uh, it's glaringly obvious. Despite this man's extraordinarily strange way of watching sports. I mean, I have never in my life heard of such an unusual way of watching sports.
Speaker 1: This is how, this is how the watches the World Cup.
Speaker 2: Mother mother Teresa is out here just rootten for a happy, happy outcome. The good news, Molly is that if you're supporting Haiti Paraguay and curs out, you will be watching neutrally pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: Ouch ouch. Apologies to our Haitian, Parawine and curse Owen listeners.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure, apologies, But I think that everybody's realistic curs I understands it as a population of a hundred and fifty five thousand people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I love this letter. I love how much Molly loves this man. I am also like just so curious about this man's approach to fandom like it's like, I guess it's like I almost Here's what I hear him saying. I hear him saying, Look, guys, I don't go to the art museum and root for one painting against another, Like why would I watch the World's Cup and root for one team against another? You know, I'm sorry, mom if I'm putting words in your beautiful man's mouth or ideas in his head. But that's what I'm gathering from the way you're describing his truly unique way of approaching this sporting spectacle. I don't know if that I could watch that much football if I didn't care who won. You know, I think caring who one makes it more sse So I need to be invested in the outcome, not just in the process. Yeah, but he must have he must really have a level of enlightenment that you and I do not have. So okay, let's answer the question. How am I supposed to sit and watching games with this man who doesn't understand my irrational love. I think that that's the beauty of relationships, Molly. You know, yeah, not to be just like your partner. You have to get your partner to love you the way you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and part of part of like being in a mature relationship and getting the love that you deserve to have is being met where you are, not where someone would like you to be. And you're just not that enlightened yet, nor am I, nor is any of us except for this beautiful man.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so you're gonna have to root for underdogs and you're gonna have to look for narratives and that's a normal sports person thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just don't spill nachos on his tunic because just imagine. So you're watching the games, just make sure I love it. I love it, I love love and I'm so happy for you, Molly. Enjoy the World Cup and a shout out to your beautiful men. Yeah, all right, another letter here, Dear John, Daniel and Sean. I'm a Brazilian who has been living in Canada for eighteen years. I'm excited to have two home teams to support in this World Cup and I really appreciate how the pod is teaching me to talk about soccer and English. But I think you missed an important element in your Brazil deep dive, the disconnect between the Selisou and Brazilian supporters. I grew up in the nineties and saw Brazil reach three consecutive finals and win two of them. The energy was always incredible, the streets were beautifully decorated, and the feeling of everyone wanting the same thing was unmatched. Then, from two thousand and six onward, we've had one disappointing run after another, including the humiliation of twenty fourteen. But the worst part came in twenty eighteen, when the iconic yellow jersey was co opted by the far right movement behind Jair Bolsonaro, who ran for and was elected president that year. Since then, many people became wary of supporting the team or even developed a distaste because they didn't want to be seen as supporting Bolsonaro. Some, like my family, have never recovered their passion for the national team. I personally feel quite a bit of distance from the Selisaw, both the physical distance of not living among other Brazilians and the political distance. Even though Bolsonaro is no longer president, I only own a blue Brazil jersey, not a yellow one. I feel that the only way for the team to recover the support of Brazilians is to perform well at a World Cup, and I'm not convinced this team has what it takes. At least I will have the opportunity to watch and hopefully celebrate among Canadians that somehow feels both more exciting and like a betrayal of my roots libres. Wow, that's so interesting, Uh, and John, I have been uh thinking about this a lot because here in Colombia there was an election, uh first round election for president, and we had a very similar dynamic, and I was just thinking about about how often this happens. Uh, But the kind of right wing Trump endorsed candidate area has been uh basically using the the jersey as a political tool, you know, in a lot of his photos in uh, in videos, his whole family's wearing the Colombian yellow jersey. And Uh, we actually had this really weird thing happened where Karlina and I went to go, you know, we're sort of like looking around, maybe we went to go look for an apartment, you know, And I was wearing a jersey because Columbia was playing that evening, right, so I was, you know, just supporting the team, but I wasn't more of yellow one. I was wearing a different one. And as soon as we got there, the lady who was showing us the department immediately started sort of talking to me about Abbadad l Daspreya, assuming that I was a supporter, which you know, I don't vote in Colombia obviously, and I don't generally support any candidate who would be endorsed by Donald Trump. So it was it was just like oh ooh, ooh, okay, like this is now shorthand for something as opposed to what it should be for I think, which is, you know, all of our countries are riven by political polarization and political divides, and I do think that the national team is sacrosanct, or should be sacrosanct and devoid of politics. Why because it's this one place where we can set aside one situation, which we can set aside those things which divide us, which are many and I'm not minimizing them, but that we can sort of go back to that inner place where all of us when we put on the jersey, we're thinking of the version of the country that we're supporting, right, And I don't need to ask the person next to me how they feel about gay marriage or what their stance on gun control is in order to hug them when the ball goes in the net for my team, for our team, and then we can set aside politics and just enjoy sort of that feeling of communion of what it means to belong to something. And then tomorrow, when the game is over, you know, we can put that jersey in the closet and go have our political battles that hopefully will you know, lead to to better understanding and progress. However is you define that now. It seems to me that it makes me sad that that happened in Brazil, because the lovely and iconic yellow jersey, you know, the one that we associate with Pele and the you know, the great you know, the great teams of the seventies, the one we associate with you know, these Ronaldinho and and and Ronaldo, you know, and all these wonderful players. It just seems terrible to me that that would be sort of co opted by one political movement or another. As I was looking into this, John and Sean. In Peru this happened as well in the last selection. Keiko also used the Peru in jersey on the left. In Colombia also, it must be said, like Jamana Santos used it when he was pushing to pass the the Pledicite on the Peace Treaty to end the war in Colombia. So it's it's a really difficult thing. What's happened here has been kind of a disaster because a judge came out and banned candidates from wearing the jersey. Was then roundly mocked, including by people from on the left. I was like, no, you can't ban people from wearing the jersey in politics, because that's just you know, people want to wear the jersey. And then and then at the same time, supporters of Evan Sepela, the kind of left wing candidate here, started saying, well, now we're gonna wear the jersey anyway. It's kind of a mess, and I think it's a shame because I do feel like, more than anything, or like now more than ever, I should say, we need these moments where we can set politics aside and sort of everyone identify with that version of the country that they're supporting and put on the jersey and sing the anthem and you know, support their team and enjoy the game. And then afterwards we'll have those political battles that we need to have. But you don't want to ever take the national team away from fifty percent of the country, because all these countries are divided basically fifty percent one way or the other, you know, give or take an onage point or two. It just makes me sad. It makes me sad for our listener liberties, It makes me sad for my Columbian friends, makes me sad for football and for politics as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm reminded of a great line by the theologian mirslav Volk who said politics touches everything, but politics isn't everything, not by a long shot. And that was someone who, living in the Balkans, saw more of what politics can do than I ever hope too, who understood that still, politics isn't everything, but it does touch everything. And one of the things it touches is football. And we've talked a lot on this podcast about football as a nation building exercise, national teams as a nation building exercise. And you know, part of that question is what kind of nation are you going to build and who are you going to include and exclude in your national project? And you know that's obviously something that Bolsonnaro weaponized, but that you know, we're seeing weaponized now around the world, and it is really heartbreaking to me because I do I do want football to be a respite and a place, a place of unification rather than a place of division.
Speaker 1: But you know it's reflective of the world we live in right now. Yeah, yeah, for sure. But I mean I think, you know, you want to go to the stadium and you see, like the Columbia's sort of send off was a game they played here against Costa Rica, which they won, and you know, stadium's everyone's wearing the yellow jersey, the yellow Colombian jersey, And then part of you is like, okay, is this you know, you don't want to ever think is this a political rally. You want to think this is a nation football game. Yeah, a football game, and a nation sending off its best twenty two players or however many to go represent them in the world's largest sporting event and most beloved sporting specs. Right, that's what it's about. Right, But all of that seems pretty kixotic, and you know it just that that's who we are anyway. The world is what it is. As as the writer once said, yeah, but not then on a down note, libers, I hope Brazil does very well, and I hope you find a way to love your team again. I hope Canada does well too, Libris, I hope that both of your nations meet in the final. How about that. That would be special and that would make you win our bracket. Libers if you if that happen, win the bracket.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: John, you're off to Norway. I believe you have a team meeting with the Earling and company.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna hang out with Erling. I'll check in Sean. I know your friends, so I'll check in with him. Tell you how he's doing and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell him, I said, hello, I will sounds good, sounds good. All right, guys, we'll see you next week. Enjoy the first few games of the Cup. I'll see you in New York. John and Sean. Great care Wait all right, bye you guys.