Speaker 1: Officer. I know you found that half empty forty in the center console of my car, but my heart tells me I haven't been drinking tonight. You know, I obeyed the speed limit at all times. I wasn't going sixteen to fifty, say, or.
Speaker 2: As drunk people often do, they're going like twenty five in a sixty. Hey everyone, I'm at Helms and this is Snaffo, the show about history's greatest screw ups. It's part chat show, part history lesson, and a big old group therapy session for all of humanity. We're back for part two of the Iran contra Affair with our incredible guest Robert Evans. Now, if you haven't heard the previous episode, I strongly suggest you jump back and listen to that episode, and then jump forward again to this moment right now and jump back into this episode, because we are going to wrap up our incredible recounting of the Iran contra affair. Robert Evans, of course, is the host of the incredible podcast Behind the Bastards, which I highly recommend tons of incredible episodes. The best two episodes are the ones on which I was a guest.
Speaker 1: Also on that podcast, we should certainly check out the one on Curtis Jarvin that you guessed it for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a fun one. That was a particularly interesting one. Robert, thank you so much for coming back.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me back.
Speaker 2: I am going to give a quick recap for our audience, just in case there's been a little gap in time. So here's what went down before we move on. It's the nineteen eighties. Reagan was president and quite simply, he hated Commis, like he really hated them. So he funded paramilitaries in Nicaragua called the Contras through the CIA in the hopes that they would defeat the Kami government run by the socialist group the Sandinies. Does Separately, the US imposed and embargo on Iran due to their support of the group Hezbolah, a US designated terrorist group that had taken twenty five Americans hostage in nineteen eighty four. To save those hostages, Reagan's National Security Council guys, including Lieutenant Oliver North, secretly decided to trade weapons in exchange for some cash and the release of said hostages. Pretty dodgy, especially considering that there was once again a literal embargo against Iran.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that we applied a status to Iran that was these guys, we absolutely shouldn't be selling missiles too. Yeah, that was there, that was their legal status.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could sell this up as hey, we're never ever going to sell missiles to Iran, but also Iran, do you guys want some missiles? Right? Yeah, sure. Iran was all so at war with Iraq and they needed weapons for this war. Oh yeah, And they had in fact secretly reached out to the US to ask if they could buy some weapons off us, and the answer, of course should have been no, we're not dealing with you. There's an embargo going on. But Ali North and his bosses at the National Security Council saw an opportunity here. They wanted to win for Reagan, i e. They wanted to free some hostages and to avoid another Carter esque snafu, so they decided to go ahead and make a deal with the Iranians. They would secretly sell weapons to the Iranians on the condition that American hostages in Lebanon would be released.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, it's and people we don't talk enough about the Iran Iraq war, like just so that people know this is like a World War two like t kind of conflict in terms of you've got these mass human wave rges like particularly that like Iran is doing because they have they lack so much else in terms of military infrastructure, and these huge tank battles that very much are like something out of the Second World War, and hideous casualty numbers in the US. By the way, we are heavily involved in both sides. We kind of helped push Saddam in the early stages of the war. We provided like targeting assistance and whatnot for him, and obviously we're about to do that for Iran. This is such a messy time and history for us in such a horrible war that doesn't get covered enough.
Speaker 2: Amen. I find it interesting the you know, in a situation like this, you know, there's clearly political motivation to sort of protect Reagan from another you know, from the fallout of a hostage situation. But then of course there's the very human concern for these hostages and the predicament that they're in, right, And I again, this is sort of getting back to one of my earlier questions, but like, is it possible to parse the motives here? You know, like, is it is this more about the political machinations. Uh, and and sort of protect protecting Reagan's political re election possibilities, or is it we got to get these Americans home? And again, it's some of both, some of both, And the more cynical side of me is like, maybe it's more about the political.
Speaker 1: I think at the at the at the level of like Alie North and certainly like people in the Reagan White House, it's it's mostly politics, but you have a lot of people involved at different levels, and including folks who like know some of the people who have been taken of course, and so there's absolutely folks who are involved in this too. Who's primary or at least a major concern just like, well, but my buddies captive too.
Speaker 2: And do you think the American military has an incredible track record of just going after our own and and and like you know fighting you know this recent Uh, it's important from what's that It's I wasn't from morale, right, Well, sure, yeah, you're right, but yeah, this extraction from Iran that just happened a month or two ago was an incredible, incredible story and does speak to it. I think is a is a pretty beautiful ethos in American general disposition, but certainly our military disposition of like we don't we leave no one behind, we go back and get people.
Speaker 1: It's this it's interesting because like the you also have around this time, these these conspiracy theories about like soldiers left behind in Vietnam that really, certainly by by seventy nine was not accurate, Like there weren't huge numbers of Americans like in captivity in Vietnam, like they would have had nothing to benefit from just keeping those guys. But because there is this attitude, this deeply, especially among for former servicemen, that like, we don't leave people behind, the belief that there were all these guys still trapped in Vietnam is in this period of time a huge political like football, right, Like it's a thing that that is like massively important to a lot of people just because like, even though it's not accurate that those guys are there, because the idea that people were left behind was so offensive to some right.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, Well, let's jump a couple of years later to the fall of nineteen eighty six, and we're actually now we're going to go back to Nicaragua. So in October of that year, a US military plane was shot down in Nicaragua. The lone survivor of this plane being shot down admitted to the Santinistas that he was delivering weapons to the Contras for the CIA.
Speaker 1: Ooops.
Speaker 2: Then a month later, a Lebanese magazine Al Shira got a scoop that the US had been secretly selling missiles to Iran for the release of American hostages. And by the way, only three hostages had actually been released. So the efficacy of this whole scheme is like, what is very much in question?
Speaker 1: What did I never did know the ratio of like missiles to guys we were getting that.
Speaker 2: I actually don't know, my head. I don't think it was good because I'm assuming that they said a lot of missile a lot of missiles. Anyway, this is quite a one two punch, right, this down pilot confessing to the Sandinistas that the CIA is helping the Contras, and then of course this article coming out in a Lebanese magazine basically exposing that that scandal. So in response, Reagan did what he was best at. He got on TV and on November thirteenth, he addressed America from the White House and we actually have a little audio clip to play from that press conference. Here.
Speaker 3: Now, my fellow Americans, there's an old saying that nothing spread so quickly as a rumor. So I thought it was time to speak with you directly, to tell you firsthand about our dealings with Iran, just.
Speaker 2: A little little taste of it, but I'll tell you later. In the video, Reagan says he wasn't doing any backdoor trades with Iran. He says, we did not, repeat did not trade weapons or anything else for hostages. So I had to work in my Reagan voice, that voice you very much. But he does say explicitly, we did not trade weapons or anything else.
Speaker 1: Clear.
Speaker 2: Cross couldn't have been clear more clear, of course. Yeah. Well, it turns out straight up lying doesn't put an end to things, and soon it will be revealed that these scandals actually had a lot to do with each other. Once all of this starts leaking, Reagan's attorney general, a man by the name of Edwin mess steps in to figure out just what the heck is going on here. Uh So, a couple of weeks after this, after this presidential address, on November twenty fifth, nineteen eighty six, MEAs goes on TV to the nation. And here's where things get a little wild. Mees confirms that, yes, the US had actually been selling weapons secretly to Iran, and yes the US had been backing the contras in Nicaragua. But then he drops the real bombshell. These were not separate operations. They were the same operation. What Yes, because Edwin Meaes had found what is known as the Diversion Memo in Oliver North's office. Now, this memo showed that money from those secret arm sales to Iran wasn't just sitting around, It was being funneled off the books to fund the contras. So suddenly what looked like two different scandals snaps into focus as one tangled scheme. Attorney General Meaes also had another very important point to make at this press conference, and that was that President Reagan did not know about any of this. Of course, he was completely in the dark, totally inno set of any wrongdoing. So me press conference is kind of like a confession and a cleanup all at the exact same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a remarkable line to try to cross of like, well, we have to admit to breaking the law that the President said that we absolutely didn't do. And also these two things that we said weren't connected or connected but the president didn't know. But also he's still a good president. He just didn't know. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, does does does a scandal that goes from two bad things to one incredibly complicated, big bad thing make it better or more efficient, more impressive? Yeah? Yeah, it's kind of like this feels like the usual Suspects moment where he's just like, oh, yes, yeah, Kobayashi, I get it. He is kaiser SoSE and we all feel kind of smart and dumb at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what we expect from a president. Like it feels a lot like it's it's declined over the last couple of decades rapidly, but also like the I guess it's just shocking to me the degree to which a lot of people, including people who really liked Reagan, were willing to convince themselves well, he can't even though there's literally no way this could have happened without Reagan's sign off. He must not have really known. Like the amount of slack that that he was given for this has always really surprised me. I've never understood it.
Speaker 2: Well, were we will believe what we want to believe. Yeah, right, Like we're just so much of our what we think is our rational analysis is just motivated reasoning. Yep uh. And I think you're that's a prime example of it. Do you remember what what Saturday Night Li was doing at this time? They had a they had a brilliant ongoing series of sketches in which Phil Hartman played Reagan, and and they really played with this dichotomy of him being perceived it just as just this sort of like, you know, real friendly, just kind of cowboy who was a nice to everybody but a little bit kind of maybe clueless, but that's okay because he's doing the right thing. His heart's in the right place. And so they'd have these scenes with Phil Hartman, you know, like doing a photo op with a girl scout troop or something cute, and then he'd kind of usher them out of the Oval office and then he'd be like get in here, everybody, and he'd pull in all the everyone to sit them down and pull down a map of Iran or wherever and be like okay, barking orders and everybody, and just sort of highlighting that extreme dichotomy of of like the performance of a kind of like a guy who hey, he got sort of taken for a ride on this whole Iran.
Speaker 1: Memory is not great, but his heart's in the right place. And then this like blood soaked mad man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go back and watch these old Phil Hartman Reagan sketches. They're incredible and they're very sort of emblematic of this moment. So Edwin Mess's press conference turned out to be one of those classic moments of trying to put out a fire by throwing gasoline on it. He sent Congress completely spinning out. They're like, wait, wait, wait, what this was one giant conspiracy. We got to get to the bottom of this. This is way worse. Yeah. Also worth noting that Mes and Reagan were old pals, So it's pretty crazy to think that an attorney general appointed by a president could do a thorough job of investigating his boss, right, Yeah, Naturally, everyone in Washington immediately spun into investigative overdrive. The House launched an investigation, the Senate launched an investigation. Reagan, not to be outdone, also appointed a commission led by ex Senator John Tower, to investigate, and just for good measure, he brought in independent special prosecutor Lawrence Walsh to investigate and bring charges. Now, Robert, when everyone is investigating everyone else this hard? Is that due diligence or just like a kind of Shakespearean level of thou dost protest too much?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's like ass covering on a grand scale. Especially, I mean, it's I guess it's I'm sure because like you do want some of those investigations seem like they're appropriate, right, Like Congress investigating the president seems like it's something that's Congress ought to be doing. The President having his own investigation into like what his guys were doing is a lot of like we're gonna make sure the Foxes really get a good line on what's happening in this hen house, you know, like that that that strikes me as fucky just this year volume.
Speaker 2: I mean, it starts to feel like, uh, like layers upon layers of nothing to see here, right, right, Yeah, it's just it we're all investigating so hard that you can no longer see through the.
Speaker 1: Mess, right, And and it's also like you don't need to look like nobody else needs to be looking like we're gonna, we're gonna, we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Keep an eye on this.
Speaker 1: Don't worry, like the truth will come out for sure.
Speaker 2: We've got it there.
Speaker 1: We got this.
Speaker 2: All right. So a few months later, in February of nineteen eighty seven, the Tower Commission released the report, confirming what the Diversion Memo said and stating that the National Security Council needed reforms after acting far too independently of Congress. Okay, the level of criminal law breaking in the NSC had become so undeniable that Reagan gave his follow up to his earlier statement. And I'll forego my Reagan imitation this time, just to get this language across. He said. A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, But the facts and the evidence tell me it is not.
Speaker 1: Amazing amazing sentence.
Speaker 2: How incredible is that language?
Speaker 1: I mean, you've been in more than a few writers room. Can you imagine how long it took to break that line? Because Reagan wasn't writing that himself. Like, there was a room full of guys up until like four in the morning, being like, how do we put all this in a sentence?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is not just a word salad. This is like a word salad bar. It is a full on buffet of words scrambled up into some what's supposed to be delicious, but it's still kind of leaving a terrible taste in your mouth. I just want to go back to this. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true. But still tell me this thing that I said to you, it's not true. But the facts and the evidence. In other words, he's externalizing this. He's not saying like my own analysis of what I said is revealing that I lied to you. He's saying that these other things, these facts, and this evidence, are telling me that what I told you before it's not true. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, an officer, I know you found that half empty four in the center console of my car, But my heart tells me I haven't been drinking tonight.
Speaker 2: You know, And my best intentions tell me that that doesn't even exist, that he's not even there slashing around in the back seat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I obeyed. I obeyed the speed limit at all times. I wasn't going sixteen to fifteen exactly.
Speaker 2: Or as drunk people often do. They're going like twenty five in a sixties two all right. In July of this year, Oliver North and other members involved in the Iran Contra affair testified before Congress in live televised hearings as part of both the Senate and House led investigations. What came out led to wave after wave of indictments from Lawrence Walsh against Oliver North, John Poindexter, and others who had clearly been involved. One of the most insane reveals was that while Meese had claimed to be investigating the NSC's activities, he had actually given Oliver North and John Poindexter a heads up that he would be coming by, and this gave Oliver North enough time to host a quote paper shredding party and destroy or alter thousands of pages of documents before Meese and his team could collect them. Now, this that is the actual language that had a party shredding party. What does calling it a shredding party due to the way we hear something like that, because it's very different from destroying evidence. It is a it is a shredding party.
Speaker 1: I think it sounds worse because that just sounds like you're deliberately, like you are thumbing your nose at any idea of accountability right as opposed to like, well, we had a crime party, and I'd be like, well, yeah, you did commit some crimes, but at least you're saying.
Speaker 2: It right, I think it. But I do think in this way that like language is powerful and it sort of sets us sets a tone that this was sort of a casual thing and not that big a deal, but it was such a big deal a deal. North's shredding spree didn't erase the scandal, of course, but it erased enough of the paper trail to keep the full story just out of reach. The diversion mimo exposed the basic scheme, but anything that might have clearly implicated higher ups, like for example, Ronald Reagan, well that stuff was gone. So all of this came out in the congressional investigations. North and Poindexter got their come upances, and justice was served right right.
Speaker 1: In the same way that like, if the mafia appoints a fall guy to take the pin for like a crime, then like was justice several Yeah, that guy did something right, but there's other guys that aren't getting Well.
Speaker 2: Here's the best part, because it's even like the accountability is even worse than you think. I mean, that's part of the that's part of the beauty of snafu is that is that ability is just this ephemeral co word. It doesn't actually apply to anything. Remember, there are multiple simultaneous investigations going on here. In a way, they unintentionally undermined each other, which all became sort of its own snafoo. So, despite the fact that Walsh brought charges against Oliver North and Poindexter and other members of the National Security Council, Congress had already offered North and Poindexter immunity from charges in exchange for their testimony. So that meant that eleven individuals were found guilty in either carrying out the plot or in trying to slow down the investigations, but not Oliver North or Poindexter, or whether or not they were found guilty, they were they got off complete lyst got free due to their immunity. Make this make sense to me? It seems fair to me.
Speaker 1: I mean the senses that, like, the people running the government really wanted to do this and they didn't want their their friends to get in trouble for breaking the law, right Like, that's that's the sense. I mean, it's not so different than the way things work now. Like, it's the it's the problem with investing people with power like this and then having the accountability also be them, right, Like, ideally, I get what we were the founding fathers. We're trying to do with a separation of powers, and there's a you know, there's a lot of wisdom in there. It worked out in some ways for a while, but maybe we need like another separate power, like a guy who like doesn't have any other power, but if the president's like fucking up, he can like sprits him with like like you know, a little pepper water, right, like you would with like a like a misbehaving cat or something like that. Right, Yeah, Like the guy whose job is to like hold the president to account, some dude who can Who's Who's Who's like an appointed law enforcement type thing representing the people whose job is to make sure that shit like this doesn't happen. But we'll never do that, right, Like yeah, because nobody in power would want that to happen.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm not a legal theorist, but I would love to kind of hear from a legal expert some of the theory behind offering immunity to people for their testimony. It seems like a fair trade. But then you open yourself up to these situations where the person you just offered immunity to might have committed like such a more horrendous crime than you ever even realized. And maybe you got some evidence to help you in this other area, but not. Yeah, and in this case, it's eleven people lower on the totem pole that got you know, raked across the coals, locked over it, And was that worth it? Like, was that a worthy trade off to get those people busted if the ring leaders are getting off.
Speaker 1: I think it's a reasonable concept offering immunity in a situation where like, for example, you're going after like an organized crime ring and you have some guys that you've caught, you know, doing street level dealing or like pimping or whatever, and they're kind of like street level criminals who are willing to roll on their bosses. You offer themmunity to the lower crimes you can get the bigger. This is kind of opposite where like your your exonerating base, or you're giving immunity to the guys nearer to the top in order to fuck the people at the bottom who didn't really make much of it, like who weren't like the power players.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it seems like it seems like you want to be real savvy about who you're offering immunity to, Like if you like I would have and I don't know, not knowing what those eleven people were specifically, you know, charged with, I still my feeling is I feel like I would have rather given all of them immunity than to in order to bust Oliver North and Poindexter. Right, then the other way around.
Speaker 1: It would almost be like if years from now now we get like criminal prosecutions as a result of like the doze stuff that was happening, and they like give immunity to to Big Balls or whoever his name was, that was like stealing people's data in order to bust like a security guard who like improperly.
Speaker 2: Didn't lock up one night. Well, that doesn't seem right exactly. There's a crazy case where a guy was accused of murder and uh and someone who was there was given immunity to testify, and once he was given immunity, he claimed to have committed the murder, which was which was pretty demonstrably untrue but it enabled the actual murderer to get off the hook. That's really funny, isn't that wild. Yeah, it's like these are these are sort of unwieldy things when we unleash them out there. So, even after this whole media circuit ended, new evidence was still leading to new revelations and new trials well into the nineteen nineties. During George HW. Bush's presidency, they revealed that many of the National Security Council members who testified before the Congressional committees had committed perjury by lying and making false statements in their testimony attempting to cover up what had really happened. I mean, damn you. You can't trust anybody. So in fact, some previously hidden notes revealed that Bush himself was involved in the scheme as vice president. He of course was Reagan's vice president, but in one of his last acts as president, George H. W. Bush pardoned everyone involved before further trials could reveal anything more incriminating.
Speaker 1: Well, probably nothing to look into there, Yeah, nothing.
Speaker 2: You can do. Accountability not not just not not a thing.
Speaker 1: No, And I don't think that was the purpose of presidential pardons when they started being a thing. But that certainly seems to be where we've what we've zeroed in on is the best reason to have presidential pardons is to like keep your cronies from getting in trouble.
Speaker 2: Amen. Now, it's it's really interesting. I haven't dug into this this aspect enough, but there are a lot of people who still to this day think Ali North was a hero and that some of these things that they were undertaking were were for the best reasons, and that they were effectively Obviously they were breaking the law, and they were violating congressional mandates and so forth, but they were doing so with the right motives and the right intentions, and that really all of their law breaking could be categorized as just cutting through the red tape to get something done.
Speaker 1: I was raised to believe that. Yeah, it was very much how my my family taught me about it. Like when I first heard about Iran contra, it was described to me as like unfortunate, and some people botched some aspects of it, but it was the only option available to them. And like, you know, when you're the president, you have to make tough decisions like illegally trading missiles to a country we're not supposed to trade missiles, do you know? But it was very much like Oliver North was a hero in my house as a kid, right like that, That was exactly how I was raised to think about this.
Speaker 2: Of course, it's so fascinating really, it really is just kind of depends on where you're standing, the way the way that we look at these things, that is the tangled knot of the Iran Contra affair. Any larger takeaways, Robert Evans, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I think my takeaway from Iran Contra is my same honestly very similar to my takeaway with Watergate and to a number of like presidential scandals that we've had over the last fifty or so years, which is that when you like repeatedly make it clear that there aren't consequences for law breaking at this level in American politics, that if the president says or does it, it can't be a crime. And if the president orders people to do it, or if people are working towards the you know, what the president told them he wanted and they commit crimes, then that's okay, and that there's accepted ways to smooth over that and ensure that people don't face punishment for what they did. That's why we're where we are today. Like, all this just begats greater and greater levels of corruption and greater senses of impunity by these actors who already just kind of by default, by the fact that they're working in the West wing, they're working for the president, have a degree of legal immunity, right, that is conferred to them just by the fact that, like that's how you know, we do things in our system of government. And when you take away any chance at any level of law breaking, getting them in trouble, it leads inevitably to further reaches and to further crimes, and to worse crimes.
Speaker 2: And I think if.
Speaker 1: We learn any less and from this, if we learn any lesson from the last eight years, twelve years almost by twenty twenty eight, it'll have been twelve years, right, the lesson that we ought to learn is that you can't just let people get away with crimes and corruption because they got elected. That's like a really bad way to run a country. I think that's my stance as a as a left wing radical.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and there has to be a sort of an understanding or a commitment to the idea that these laws are oftentimes inconvenient and annoying and frustrating for those in power, but we need to follow them anyway because it will gradually keep eroding. And we've were I think we're there. We're in a deeply eroded place. Obviously now, I mean, Aroan Contra would never be considered a scandal in this moment, right, We're in a moment where you know, Trump is taking these sweeping foreign policy actions, both economically and militarily, without so much as a nod to Congress. And really, like I think Iran Contra can be boiled down to a sort of Congress versus executive branch standoff. That's really the sort of core of that. And what made it sort of what made it a scandal at the time is that Congress did set limits. In Congress was actually saying you can't do these things, this is too far, and there was an expectation that the executive branch had to follow the law. We're not there anymore. We're like, we're we're so far past that, and we're in a place where, like you said, because this president has been elected, he should be able to do whatever the heck he wants, and Congress, I'm so amazed, you know, at this Congress right now, who's completely abdicated their oversight, and they're especially with regards to war powers in Iran. Because even if you agree with Trump, even if you love all of this decisions he's making, Mike Johnson, you you still need to assert Congress's role in this process, and he just refuses to do so. It's like he's literally just smiling and saying, yeah, keep kicking me in the face. I love it, I love it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, we could go all day trying to like psychoanalyze like what's going on with Mike Johnson, But I think I think more than anything, it's this sense and you know, the imperial presidency. People trace back the history of that, and certainly Reagan has his role in the evolution of this like understanding of the presidency as a much stronger executive than previous generations would have like necessarily understood it to have been. But when you when you get in this situation where like the president is the voice of the party and also the voice of the American people because he was elected, and if he was elected, that means that like he's got a blank check to do whatever it provides an out to guys like Johnson where they're like, well, I'm not going to go against the American people. And I think that there's I think that there's tremendous cowardice in at the highest levels of power in this country. But I also just think that like it's in nobody's best interest at that level of power to actually like fight for a separation of powers, to fight for a reduction in the power of the imperial presidency, and to fight for like what's best for American citizens, because very much what's best for American citizens is not what's best for the people who are like close to the White House and hasn't been for a long time.
Speaker 2: Well said, Well said Robert Evans. Thank you so much for trimming into this snaff who with me. It has been an absolute delight and I just love to hear how your brain works and breaks this stuff down. So thank you so much.
Speaker 1: It was lovely to talk with you. Ed, Thank you so much. And yeah, happy to come on anytime and we'll have you back on Bastards in the future.
Speaker 2: All right, sounds good, great care. Oh hey, one more quick thing. This week, the UK paperback edition of my book snaff Fu is now on sale. You can find it at any UK book retailer. And I think that qualifies as Jolie good. Right, well, then I'm sorry. That was not necessary. I do not have a good British accident. It's not Maybe it maybe is like a touch better than Dick van Dyke, but barely. I mean, it's not. Sorry, Let's move on. If you're in the United States, you can still pick up a copy of the hardcover of my book and listen. It makes a great Father's Day gift if I do say so myself. In fact, it just makes a great gift anytime if you want to say, like, hey, I like you, I think you're cool, or hey, I think you're really smart and you could probably dig some of these really smart stories, or hey, you're a big Ed Helms fan, maybe you would like this book that he wrote. Anyway, whatever the reason, there's so many great reasons to give people gifts and just tell them show them that you care about them, and this book is perfect for that. So I'll drop some links in the show notes for easy purchasing and thank you so much. Snafu is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Snaffo Media, a partnership between Film Nation Entertainment and Pacific Electric Picture Company. Post production and creative support from good Egg Audio. Our executive producers are me Ed Helms, Mike Falbo, Glenn Basner, Andy Kim, and Dylan Fagan. This episode was produced by Alyssa Martino and Tory Smith. Our managing producer is Carl Nellis. Our video editor is Jared Smith. Technical direction and engineering from Nick Dooley. Additional story editing from Carl Nellis. Our creative executive is Brett Harris. Logo and branding by Matt Gosson and the Collected Works. Legal review from Dan Welsh, Meghan Halson and Caroline Johnson. Special thanks to Isaac Dunham, Adam Horn, Lane Kline and everyone at iHeart Podcasts, but especially Will Pearson, Kerry Lieberman and Nikki Ator. While I have you, don't forget to pick up a copy of my book, Snaffoo, The Definitive Guide to History's Greatest screw Ups. It's available now from any book retailer. Just go to Snaffoo dashbook dot com. Thanks for listening, and see you next week.