Speaker 1: Welcome Atrillian's.
Speaker 2: I'm Joel Webber and I'm Eric Blchernas.
Speaker 1: We talked about Blackrock last episode, huge player obviously in ETFs, and now they've made this foray into to crypto and specifically bitcoin. The other big asset manager is Vanguard, which will probably get nowhere near crypto ever. But what's even more significant is there there's a new CEO who happens don't come from Blackrock. Who is he?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is It was a bit of a shock, although I will say on ETFIQ I said he was one of my possible candidates because I knew he was available. This is Salem Ramji, who was the head of all their global ETFs at Blackrock, so big wig he was. There was some shatter he might succeed Larry Fink at some point, but he just left. That was surprise, by the way, about six months ago, so he was available. I thought he might do something nonprofit and just sort of slowly go out of the scene. But when he got hired, I was like, Okay, it's it's a little shocker, but Vanguard is evolving all the time and this makes sense to me on a couple levels. I think Vanguard is they have new challenges. You know, get getting flows into ETFs isn't exactly a huge challenge for them, but they have some new challenges. Will go over. But also I think that Salim, you know, probably won them over. He's a true indexing advocate and he can run an ETF business, and Vanguard is very into ETFs these days. So if you when I started to think about it, it wasn't that big of a shake up. Plus he got a report to the board. He can't go crazy. But it is interesting because he was advocate for the Bitcoin ETF and that is there's a couple kinds of things he's done that I think we're probably pushing the would push the envelope there for sure. So it's going to be interesting. But you know, Vanguard is almost fifty years old, and my guess is that their culture he adapts to it more than he and you know, pushes a blackgron culture on Vanguard, that's my guess.
Speaker 1: Oh so you mean he becomes like part Bogel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he gets absorbed by the cult more than he changes things too dramatically.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we're gonna get into all of this with Sylla Brush, who covers asset management for Bloomberg News. Also worth mentioning if you want to hear Selim Ramji in his own words when he was at black Rock. We had him on the podcast in December of twenty twenty one. Go ahead and search for that in your feeds. This time on Trillions, Vanguard gets black rocked Silla, Welcome to Trillions. Great to be with you. Okay, just how significant is this leadership change because there has not been that many CEOs since Jack Bogel stepped down in ninety five ninety five, right, so this is a little bit of a legacy issue.
Speaker 3: I thanks the legacy issue. It's also, you know, the first CEO that they picked who's an outsider, and I think that's, you know, one of the rises about it. You know, every person who's led Vanguard has had a long tenure at Vanguard prior to being elevated to the CEO. So of course Bogel, the founder, and the following three CEOs, you know, worked with the man himself and spent quite a bit of time each of them at the firm. And so it's an interesting pick as an outsider coming into a firm which has a very strong I mean, I guess on some level, all cultures are unique, but a very strong and unique culture. And I think that's, you know, one of the things that caught people by surprise, maybe a touch less you know who they picked, but just that they picked somebody, you know, coming in describe the vanguard culture. So it's you know, I think they kind of talk about it almost as a mission, sort of a zeal about low cost index investing for the masses. That basically, you know, Jack Bogel took a product that you know, wasn't very postpopular in the seventies and an index fund and index fund, and you had a very strong furv and belief that it could be marketed and sold to the masses, and over time it would outperform and low costs would be a winner for investors across America and then later on essentially the world. And that really is the mission of the company. And it's not a for profit company. It has this almost sort of unique ownership structure, all kind of geared towards keeping costs low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And let's go into that because the book I wrote, the Bogel Effect, the whole premise of the book was that the ownership structure to me was the primary thing driving everything you see, because every time money came in in the seventies and eighties, instead of spending the money on like sponsoring a sports stadium or paying executives more, the board was representing the investors and they were like, actually, I'd rather have the money for lower fees from me because I'm the investor. And so that's why the fees came down little by little. The first index film was like sixty, seventy basis points, but it went down, down, down until it got to like twenty ten in the nineties. That's when it took off. So to me, indexing wasn't really that grade of an invention. It was okay, it was cheapness that was sweeping the nation. So indexing kind of got lucky, I think, but they were kind of hand in glove, right, this idea of low cost and then you put an index fund on top of that. Boom. I mean, that's the big idea. But an index fund at seventy basis points, I don't really think is that grade of a concept.
Speaker 3: What was active then though probably well above.
Speaker 2: You're right. So my premise in the book is that indexing would have like maybe five to ten percent of the assets it has if it was seventy eighty basis points, because indexing would be okay, but it wouldn't be like crushing every active manager where you're like, oh my god, the evidence is so strong, I will put my money because but again, the low fees are really the thing. And it's interesting Salim I interviewed for the book, and I could tell he was a fan of Bogel. He had, he has his books. He's a very he's a student of the index. But he he kept trying to give credit to Wells Fargo, who technically invented the index fund. Bogel saw it and ran with it and came out with the second index fund. But Bogel always said he did it, but he always glorified his story. But my point is, I think Selim couldn't say that Bogel and Vanguard were the big deal because he's a black rock. So in his podcast and on arts, he would say Wells Fargo indexing, low friction, low cost, He's into all of he checked all the boxes, but he wouldn't save the V word. I think of black rock, you can't say the vword. Now he's at Vanguard and I think he'll go a little wild promoting this, and I think he'll be able to now be more full throated about how he feels about Bogel. And I thought I'd like to get your take on this, Sola that when he was in the interview, to go over an outsider, you have to win over their hearts. My guess is he went for three four interviews and it was this passion for indexing and low costs and access that won them over because they knew he had the experience, but did he have the did he have the cult DNA? And I think he showed he had that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's right. I mean I think he you know, one word that comes up a couple of words that come up pretty often when you know talking to people about Salem cerebral academic and very much sort of a strategy consultant. So I think, you know, kind of a student of the markets and a student of the industry. And prior to being at Blackrock, he was a partner at McKinsey for a long time where he also advised Blackrock, but you know, he was in the asset management and wealth management practice there and so I think I think that kind of a background, perhaps a little less on as a trader. You know, that's Wall Street trader. That's not his sort of sort of origin story formative years. It's very much a kind of you know, advisors, strategic consultant, academic if you will. You know, he's a lawyer by training. I can see that being, you know, more of the mold or model that if Vanguard were to pick somebody, that would be kind of the person that they would consider. So yeah, I mean, I think he really is a student in the markets. Lots of people are, but I think I think that is a kind of a personality that you know, that's how a lot of people describe them.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you have this outsider from Blackrock now entering Vanguard, where the culture has been relatively unique. They've had some old ways of doing things. The ETF even has been a thing that I think has been a source of friction internally. Bogul, as we know, didn't love the ETF, and yet that increasingly looks like a bigger share of their business. What do we expect from the new guy? I mean, I think you know the real question is continuity and change. Right, the culture is so strong that there's like an entire you know, millions of people who are investors, who are you know, bocal heads, and they've bought into this philosophy and it has been good for them and they don't want to see that just die away. So being true to that while also finding areas for growth, right like that is the challenge. As Eric said, you know, ETFs and indexing has really taken off, maybe took off the trajectory of it took off more in the last ten to twenty years than maybe in the prior twenty years, but nonetheless is taken off. There's a question of how much more can it grow. There's a lot of talk now about whether active management or more active selections of funds because rates are higher now the task of investing, maybe there are more opportunities for active managerement. Part of this is all marketing and spin, but there is a lot of discussion about that being more growth there than just basically put it in a fond and forget about it and you'll be fine. And so I think for Vanguard and the question is are there areas that they can find and try to exploit And they've been trying to do this and advised you to account. They've been getting into it more international, they've tried and fits and starts and not been terribly successful. And then you know, not necessarily an area for growth, but it kind of goes across everything is the technology of the firm, and I think, you know, there are a lot of criticisms of its ease of use, whether it's technologically as sophisticated as other firms. So there are lots of areas in the firm that are sort of growth potentials, and I think that the challenge, obviously is to realize them and to actually grow. And I think that's part of the mission well, that somebody with the little McKinsey blood would have some appeal. I think then.
Speaker 2: Two things on this. First of all, this idea of growth in general a Bogel would hate. But he hated it when John Brennan did it. He hated it when McNabb did it. I remember going to interview him the first time and he goes, can you believe we have four trillion in assets? That's obscene? And he goes and because he loved he had this frame picture of his book Enough and underneath he had Trump's book Never Enough. He goes isn't this great? So he was like he was all about enough. He didn't think we should grow at all because he thought we're going to lose track of the hearts and souls of the actual customers and they're all going to be numbers. Thus, I think they're well beyond that now they have like eight point three triol and they have double what when he was upset. So I do think within the current vanguard CEOs, he fits perfectly. To me, he's like a Buckley. It's Bogel that's so different and will always be the anomaly in physics. Everyone else, to me is a more normal and he's very reserved. He's not going to say anything. Stupid. Bogel would just drop bombs right and left. And he was a pr person's nightmare, but in a fun way, in a good way. And at the time, I think to break through the industry at that time, and because you're not distributing, you have no distribution fees, so you have to get everybody to come to you. You have to be pretty maverick, pretty maverick. Everyone else is more of a caretaker, but they they're all trained in like MBA to grow, like what else. He supposed to do. They're supposed to go to do a new firm. Ago, let's actually retract. So everybody's you know, been trained to grow. I think the point you brought up was interesting about the advisory business. So I don't think he has to do much with ETFs. I think the fish are jumping in the boat. They're at this point you could probably say don't invest with us, and the money would still come in. They taken nine hundred million dollars a day for the past decade. Their ETFs this year have taken in thirty six percent of all flows. This had a six hundred shores. It's fine. Advisory is interesting. So most of the people in the wealth management business are Vanguard fund investors who got old. That's why they launched it. But this got three hundred billion. But the fees are real low droll. They're like point two five and below, So if you have a lot of money, you can get to for point five or point ten per Most advisors are one percent. So this is dramatically cheaper, and I think Salim could make that one of his legacies. Tim Buckley even called the wealth management engine number two. I think he'd be good at that. And may basically taking their advisory service externally. The only thing with that is once you become an advisor and your full service and you have all different types of people who want different things. They're going to request private equity, they might request crypto, they might request options like it's going to take you into some Unboglian areas. But again, Vanguard's past that because remember Bogel got pissed off at every CEO, especially his successor. I mean there was like twenty five years of him dropping bombs on management from his research office. So he would drop the same bombs on Salim. I don't see anything that different there.
Speaker 1: Maybe in some ways this is like a perfect job because you don't have to deal with the maverick still throwing bombs or ever having a direct connection to him other than you know, probably through the industry.
Speaker 2: That's true. And you know it's funny is that he'll have to answer to the board. But I think the board is probably going to be more like him. Again, the board kicked out Bogel in ninety five. How about that? How about you start this company and you're so crotchety and like annoying that the board's like you got to go. So I just find that That's why I wrote the book. I'm like, this guy is wild anyway. The other thing, the technology, I think that relates to customer service. That's another thing Vanguard needs a lot of help with. Did you look at that at all? Because I know I looked at their Yelp reviews are bad. Bogle Heads forums. They're even these bugle heads they love Bogel They're like, I don't like Vanguard. I was at the Bugleheads convention. I met somebody who's like, I am in low cost Vanguard funds but on Fidelities platform. Yeah, so well, what do you think he's going to do?
Speaker 1: That would just irk him to know end that you're using it, that would be in traueving Guard funds.
Speaker 2: He would his head would explode.
Speaker 1: It's also worth mentioning Blackrock known for its technology, which is a software called Aladdin. So yeah, how do you think don't go about wrestling with this technology question?
Speaker 3: So I think it's really it goes down to the question of what how do they want to change the company. If they want to change it, right, like, if they really go full force into an advisory business, they're going to have to really up their game on technology. It also brings them into a new kind of competition with the Schwabs and the Fidelities of the world, companies that have branches in major cities and smaller cities across America. That's not something Vanguard has. And it is a kind of a connection that a lot of clients like to have that you know, you can walk into a branch and talk to your advisor. Vanguard doesn't have that, and it's entirely by phone, and unless you have a lot of money, you're basically put into kind of like a bucket of advisors and you kind of call or email and you get like whoever responds. That's not, you know, always the case, but it's not like having one personal connection. And so I think they kind of have to decide, you know, if they really want to expand greatly into that and if they need to change the business model at all, and then you know, the company does become more and considerably different than what it is today. Comparison is also different. Blackrock is not a you know, people don't have personal individuals don't have personal black Rock accounts. You're holding Iyeshirt's ad Fidelity or ad a broker unless you're like a foundation or a large institutional investor, and that's you know, these companies, while they do many things that are the same, they also do they also very important differences between like how they sell stuff, who they sell it, the lineup of products, the advisory business. So you know, I think that kind of institutional business is very much core to Blackrock. It's not as core to Vanguard except on the four oh one k accounts.
Speaker 1: So Eric, if you're Vanguard and you have this existing portfolio and here comes new guy, what do you think the product offerings could be, How could they change? What could they look like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there'll be incremental changes. Vanguard launches very few products, maybe one or two a year. They're very picky. I could see that doubling. Maybe it just depends on what his focus is. When I interviewed for the book, one of the quotes he said to me was, you know our traffic light system where we give red lights to like leverage. Blackrock tried to implement a system and call all of those I think ETI's because he didn't want ETF to be contaminated by the crazy stuff. And that's something that Bogel and Vanguard and Salim all would agree on.
Speaker 1: And there's money there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that leveraged Like, there's so much stuff that they would consider a distraction.
Speaker 1: You know file Bogo is rolling over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this is a everybody would be on the same page here, whether it's the successor is Bogle or Salim, which is leveraged inverse, things that roll, commodities, futures, that stuff should not be part of any account. So the question is things like gold right single gold. Yeah, you can buy a gold ETF on Vanguard's platform, but you can't buy a bitcoin ETF. Well maybe the lad bitcoin it's only long only. Then there's things like black Rock has a Fallen Angels bond ETF. Well, Vanguard has the next level up, but they don't go one level down to the niche of just double b's. Maybe there'll be a Vanguard double B. Vanguard has a market neutral mutual fund, maybe they launch something like that, which'd be interesting in an ETF format. The active equity the Vanguard active equity mutual funds have a lot of money, but they're seeing outflows. That's one area of Vanguard is like having problems just like every other active equity mutual fund manager. But if they came into the ETF world, people are buying active equity ETFs, and they're buying them if they're cheap. So they're already cheap. So if they launched like a Wellington Wins or a variety of their active if it made them available in the ETF format, I think they would sell. But again the question is how much is he going to convince the board we need to sell more versus we're fine work on this other stuff. But I could see some tiny incremental changes on the product line, but I don't see them say launching you know, a double leveraged high old bond ETF or anything like that. May Yeah, No, they're not going to go. He's not gonna get that just won't happen. Again, this is obviously describing kind of new versions of vanilla basically, Yeah.
Speaker 3: A lot of those products. Also, like in the Blackrock comparison, a lot of their products that are sort of these precision or specific parts of the market are geared towards very active traders, if not institutional traders. Like sometimes there's a misconception that ETFs are traded mostly by retail and they go in and out ETFs, Blackrock and a bunch of other large firms are become a tool for various sophisticated institutional portfolio managers to go in and out of the market, and like, that's one of the reasons that Blackrock has many more and many more specific funds.
Speaker 2: Vanguard traditionally only made funds that you bought and hold ETFs, so their turnover the trading of the ETFs relative to the assets was tiny, and Bogel actually loved that. He was like, hey, at least ours are ETFs are traded that much. That was the one thing saving grace he could take, even though he didn't like ETFs. Black rocks trade more, and then something that pro sharees they trade a ton, But some Vanguard ETFs is starting to trade more. Vu is in the top twenty most traded ETFs consistently, and if Voo starts to get more volume will at some point it's going to start to peel away investors from spy because it is three times cheaper. It's three base points versus nine. So it's interesting if Salim's black rocky in mind, which would be like, we should go after the trading crowd because it's going to help us get more assets from spy. That would be what he thinks as an IVV manager, But will he think that as a VU manager? That's going to be interesting because you could argue that if you get more volume, the spreads are lower, so the costs will be lower people coming in and out, and the more people in it, the more you could lower the fee based on the mutual fund structure, So you could actually do some mental gymnastics that say, actually trading in our ETFs is good for everybody long term for the mission. You could definitely do that, and I think he did it at Blackrock, Get will will those connections be made at Vanguard? I'm fine with it. And at some point if an ETF like VU is the most traded and cheapest, I mean look out like these ETFs that trade a lot and their low cost like IVV and VU. It's unbelievable how powerful these things are going to be are in the future. There's whole ecosystems around them with options and VU alone this year is taken in thirty six billion dollars right the record in a year is like forty five, so it's already like halfway there at fifty maybe, so it's already fourteen billion away from the record. It's unbelievable how powerful some of these, I'd say the top twenty ETFs at Vanguard and I shares are becoming.
Speaker 1: What about conversions? You mentioned the mutual fund ETF tension and obviously conversions have been a theme. Do you think that's an area of opportunity for him to bring over sort of heritage Vanguard funds and bring them into the ETF world.
Speaker 2: So this is interesting, love to get your take on this, Sola. Vanguard has been pushing people to the ETF as much as possible. Some of their ETFs they already have the ETF share classes part of the mutual fund and the ETF I believe is cheaper in some cases. So a lot of people who would be in the S and P five hundred mutual fund have moved to VU right, and it's tax free move That's that's going to be interesting. And will they as part of that, will they convert mutual funds literally into an ETF? Will they take like I don't know the windsor and just make it an ETF. If you do that, what you do is you push everybody to a brokerage account and the question is where do they push them. The good news for that is it takes some I think, burden off of your customer service desk because remember everybody who was in Vanguard had to go to their website and buy the funds and now their Vanguard's problem. Whereas if you buy it on Fidelity, they could call Fidelity person and not a Vanguard person even if you own the Vanguard fund, you know what I'm saying. So by pushing the ETF, they they start to help their customer service burden. But at the same time, I just don't see them converting a mutual fund. That just doesn't seem like their culture. But I the only reason, the only way I could see it is if they convince, if they come up with the idea. Again, little mental gymnastics. The more we get people, our own people into ETFs, the more we disperse their customer service needs.
Speaker 3: But I still think Vanguard likes that the mission of the company resonates so strongly with their client tele right like I think they the company is known for a couple really core things that coret since the founding of the company. Basically and with more levels of detachment from their clients, the like. It's that kind they're kind of juggling multiple things, like a technology, a sort of you know, all companies wrestle with that, but also at the same time thinking about having even deeper connections with their clients by way of advisory, so they kind of it kind of cuts both ways. I think that's probably mission number one. And you saw Saliam sort of mention it. Approaching his job with the zeal of a convert I think was some close to the line. And I think that that kind of sentiment is just so central to the company. It's basically in his inbox when he starts right, like, you know, how much does he stray and how much does he stay true? I mean, that's clearly the question.
Speaker 2: Now let's talk about younger people, because I do think if you talk to Jen Why or my kids Jen Alpha, I forget really cut off is and maybe even some millennials, but I would say younger than millennials. I just get the feeling that something like Vanguard and low cost indescing isn't penetrating as well as you'd think it would, because obviously it's a great deal. Like the people in the middle get less of your money, you get more retirement. But I see their commercials, it's like a typical mutual funk commercial. It's like somebody with a golden retriever on the beach and their kids just graduated college. You know, It's like that kind of boomer thing. And I know they have all the money, But do you think that Selene will help maybe make Vanguard a little edgier or make their message resonate more with younger people, because the boomers are going to transfer the wealth down soon and younger people get more money. It's just the nature of life. And so I think they have a little problem there in converting that really punk rock message. I mean, I Thinkvogel to me is as you know, we run the Oracle, is punk rock interesting. But it seems like Vanguard's kind of gotten a little less of that and they become a little more smooth boomerash.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think lots of companies are wrestling with this, right like ever since you know, Meme Stocks and Robinhood took off a couple of years ago, right, like, so much energy and excitement about you know, trading day trading all sorts of complex things, or just putting money into stocks that just have you know, shoot, the moon crypt is obviously a version of that. It's interesting that a bunch of companies, and not necessarily Vanguard specifically, but a bunch of companies sort of bizarrely like seeing that because if Robinhood was the first stop on a younger investors traders, person's sort of financial journey or whatever that they want to call it, once they kind of get that out of their system, they're sort of like attuned to now doing something with their money, and then the question is like where else can they put it? And a lot of other companies that are perhaps you know, more staid and boring are not necessarily opposed to some of that sentiment among younger investors because it at least gets people interested, and once they're interested, it's at least an opening that they can entice them their own way.
Speaker 2: That's interesting way to put it. Yeah, you're right, and I do agree that young people sometimes have to get something out of their system with investing. I did it with tech stocks in the late nineties. You're a little I don't.
Speaker 1: Know if I did it. Got a taste of that, yeah, probably, I'm a little of ice cream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but everybody goes through this then you get responsibilities exact, you're in a relationship and you can't mess around with game stop.
Speaker 3: It's what financial advisors say, right, Like some people start do it yourself investing and then like maybe that doesn't go so well, and then they're like, well, how do I prevent a worst thing happening the next time? And then they reach out to some financial advisor and then that's how it goes.
Speaker 2: That set a lot of the GameStop people, and I know the crypto people, they have this feeling that Wall Street's rigged against them and this is the way to get back at all of the big Wall Street big shots. But if you look at the data and you look at the real way to get back and like stick it to Wall Street, like a low cost index fund is the most powerful way to do that. It's just not it's boring because it takes a long time, but that's the tried and true way to accomplish that populous goal they have. That be My other point is that that's the populism part of the memestocks and crypto that I think there's something not being translated that this is the way to do that. The problem is, I just think this becomes like a faster way to do it and more fun. So when I'm on podcasts with Meme and especially the Memestock people, I'm like, look, just admit this is just the good time with you and your friends. Just admit that's what it is. Because if your real goal is to make money and sort of like stick it to the man, there's this other way that really does it in a true way, in a scientifically proven way. Your way is the exact opposite. It's really just making like hedge funds that make markets richer and they.
Speaker 1: Which is Bogo's original message, right, Like the game is rigged. This is the dread and true way to win. Which makes me think to go back to all the other things that we've hit on, this is a tech and product challenge that the new guy will probably have to wrestle with. The point of an advisor in all of this is like, hey, I just got all this money from you know, boomer generation or whatever, what am I gonna do with it? Right?
Speaker 3: That is where it's also just have a real plug and play solution. It's also a question of their clients, right, like do they want more of the same clients grow the you know they're you know, designated part of the market or do they want to hit new kinds of clients. And you know, I think that's one of the main questions that they're gonna have to wrestle with.
Speaker 2: Interesting about Vanguard is that they the recently, I don't think they use Bogol enough. In fact, like they got rid of the ship logo. But you know, maybe you could say that is a way to it's a little older looking. But I feel like if I was Salem, I might actually bring up some clips of Bogel and maybe even use them because some of the stuff he says and the way he says them is powerful and it can break through more than something that's smoother. It's more rough around the edges. But we'll see. I just think they should embrace it, just like if I was Tim Cook, I would totally embrace Steve Jobs and be like, Yeah, this guy found out our company is great, and here's what he said and did and whatever. So I would just keep that in mind. If I was running Vanguard, I would use that as a tool in my toolbox rather than like, oh, you know, that happened a long time ago, we're this new company. I think they could benefit from really bogolizing their message a little.
Speaker 1: You're just trying to sell books.
Speaker 2: That too, if you do want to learn more about everything.
Speaker 1: I just said. All right, sel A Brush, thanks for joining us on Drake You thanks for listening to Trillions till next time. You can find us on the Bloomberg Terminal, Bloomberg dot com, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever else you'd like to listen. We'd love to hear from you. We're on Twitter. I'm at Joel Webber Show. He's at Eric Baltunas. This episode of Trillions was produced by Magnus Hendrickson. Bye