Speaker 1: Holy cal I got so many things to say. I got so many things to say. I'm so excited about this episode, Zach. You have no idea. This is a big episode.
Speaker 2: This is a very good episode. By the way, Judy came for a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not only is it a big episode, but this is Listen, man, I feel like I didn't know what I had when I had it, You know what I mean. Carla and Turk. Carla and Turk. Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh. You want to talk about a good relationship on television, and you want to talk about a relationship, especially at the time that we were filming it, I really needed a relationship like that. Granted, I found a woman of my dreams. She lives in the same house as me. She's downstairs right now watching our children. But when I think of Turk and Carla, I think of Carla and.
Speaker 3: You two Judy as like an x of mine.
Speaker 1: Even though it was just work, even though we were working together, It's like I have so many fond memories and I ruined it, and I spoiled it by the sh show going off the air, I mean, and then we.
Speaker 3: Were no longer together, and I don't see her anymore.
Speaker 2: When you see Judy, now, do you have this?
Speaker 3: I get the vapors as as as Bismarck. He said, I caught the vapors. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: When I'm watching Scrubs now, I'm like, oh my gosh, he's so fine.
Speaker 3: What was I thinking? What did I do? How did I let that go?
Speaker 4: No, that's okay. Carla always knew it. Yeah, what do I have to do to get this guy to see what he has? He always he always, and she always said it right. Carl always says like if only when is he gonna love me the way he loves JD.
Speaker 1: Here's some stories I'm not sure we made about a bunch of dogs and nurses, and.
Speaker 3: I said, he's a story.
Speaker 1: So YadA rab here, YadA rare.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: So listen for all of you guys who are listening right now, is probably.
Speaker 2: Why don't you properly introduce your your we have your TV is amazing, wife, st depend us the right word, yes, stupendous, stupend This fantastic.
Speaker 1: The fantastic, the legend that is Judy Ray is on Fake Doctors and Real Friends today.
Speaker 3: We're so excited about it.
Speaker 4: An incredible introduction.
Speaker 2: This is where we insert thunderous applause.
Speaker 1: I'm at a loss of words. You have no idea how how excited I am that you are here.
Speaker 4: I'm excited for you guys. I'm excited for the show. You guys got bumped up to two shows a week. I can't even catch up.
Speaker 2: Well, we've been having fun. We never thought anyone would really listen. We thought it would be maybe our parents. Donald's mom doesn't even listen.
Speaker 1: To I don't think she's ever listened to No, I know she hasn't listened. You know how I know she hasn't listened. This is how I know she hasn't listened, because I'll be like, mom, and I've already said on the podcast, I don't think my mom ever listens to the show, Right, I was like, Mom, have you listened.
Speaker 3: To the podcast? She's like, yeah, I listened to it all the time.
Speaker 1: And I know that she hasn't and she hasn't been Like, she hasn't called me and been like, I listened to your podcast.
Speaker 3: She has no idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, isn't that the story of the show?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: It was like congratulations, but nobody's watched the show until like twenty years later when now it's like a legend, right television folklore, where everybody's like, oh my god, you don't understand. I grew up on your show. And then it's like, wow, okay, right.
Speaker 3: When you hear that, it's like, well, how come y'all didn't show up in the ratings?
Speaker 2: Then, well they did in the beginning. I was just looking back. This is back in two thousand, when there was no streaming competition and people actually did watch the show. I mean, there were a lot of people watching the show in the beginning, especially, you know, we always joked that we barely survived, that we were always moving around timeslots and everything. But this was still like at a time when Joelle, you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think like eleven million people or something we're watching these episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when we followed Yeah, when we followed Fraser, we were at eleven or ten million.
Speaker 3: But when the.
Speaker 1: Season two or three, when we started following Friends, we at one point we we had like twenty seven million people watching our show.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it's just so funny. You never get no one ever gets numbers like that anymore. Back in two thousand and one, you could have eleven million people watch your TV show.
Speaker 4: Well, because there were only three television networks right there was ABC, NBCCBS and like A Fox and Fox and then show Time in HBO. So there were only a certain number of shows that you can watch. And now, you know, like we were saying before, people are actually coming to us and texting us and through social media letting us know that we, particularly in these times, that our show literally changed their lives and influence and affected the choices that they made for a living. And that's really really moving.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you're absolutely right. It feels so warm and fuzzy inside when you know, you read your comments and you post a picture of your kids and stuff like that, and they're like that, don't look like Carlo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Donald always gets heras gets harassed.
Speaker 3: Look like Carla had them kids.
Speaker 1: That's why I always I'm always like wow that the show hits so hard and so many people that when I post pictures of my family or I post pictures, you know, of us at a holiday, and you know, during holiday, the first thing that comes up that don't look like Carlo.
Speaker 4: I was working when I started working in out of state, which is right after scrubs were all chows are being shot like in Vancouver or Atlanta or in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: So Judy wait, I was gonna say, Donald, if you don't mind, and Judy, we've we've been asking everyone that comes on the show, all the cast members, their their audition story, because I think listeners are I imagine interested in that. I hope they're interested in that, but maybe I don't really know yours. I know Donald Sarah's. So I'd love to hear your story about how the script initially came to you and what your audition process was.
Speaker 4: Like in New York. You know, I was working, I had done oh gosh, I don't know i'd done like this was must have been like my seventh pilot audition. I've done all about six pilots before this that never went that never got picked up. So by the time I got to this one, I was just like, you know, ready for it not to go as well. But it was such a good pilot. And Carla had these two great monologues in the in the pilot one year where I go off right and one where I go off on Doctor Cox. And I was, you know, I was part of a theater company and I was just so prepared to just nail it and walk out and get it. And I got it. You know, you get a flee free flight to LA you had to say, in a fancy hotel. But the most important thing was to just like work on it really hard and go get out of the room feeling good.
Speaker 3: Wait, you weren't living in You weren't living in Los Angeles?
Speaker 4: No, No, I was in New York. I was living in New York.
Speaker 2: Was your first audition at thirty Rock or something for Yeah.
Speaker 4: My first edition was at thirty Rock, and I did really well. And all I just kept getting was this feedback from my manager, Gene Fox.
Speaker 2: Your manager was yes, yes, not this, not doing this, but you were not at this time. But yes, But we did have the same manager back in the day.
Speaker 4: Yet when we were younger, right, because she mostly represented kids and I always played really young and earlier in my career. But I remember being really excited to get this flight to LA and staying in a fancy hotel and all this stuff. And I remember somebody giving me a note to tell its like, before you start your scene, just take his breath and look at everybody in the room, and then start right.
Speaker 2: So that's good advice.
Speaker 4: Hey, And I really did, and I felt and they were like, think three other women?
Speaker 2: Did you know them anyway?
Speaker 4: I didn't know anybody. I just remember who was the casting director for that. I knew the casting director because I auditioned them all the time. And I didn't even know any of the actresses, which was strange because all Latina actressesn't know each other. And I think I was the only one from La who was flown in and I felt like I had a really good chance, but I didn't attach myself to anything.
Speaker 2: What scenes did you do? Do you remember what scenes you did from the pilot?
Speaker 4: All the scenes that Carla had, which was like the one where I go he hits on me and the one to doctor Cox. I don't remember any of this stuff.
Speaker 2: Don't worry. Don't worry, Donald, I don't remember anything either.
Speaker 4: I watched this episode that we're talking about twice, yes, same here, because I remember what I remember. It is like in the first season, I had this one big, big episode with you where we go to see the photography exhibit that's called my nickname, and I was sure that that's what we were going to talk about today. Like, wait a minute, we're not doing my nickname.
Speaker 2: No no one time one day duty will get more organized than like book people for the times they have their big episode. But I think you have a really nice arc in this episode.
Speaker 4: I do, and that's why I wanted. I was like, this is really great. I'm excited to talk about it.
Speaker 2: We just wanted to have you on.
Speaker 4: But I remember taking that moment and looking at all these people. It's like in my head, I was like, fuck, there's a lot of people in here. And I looked at all of them. I was like, no pressure, right, and they just fell out laughing, and Bill the loudest, and I felt really relaxed and I just they laughed at every single thing I did. And I was like, I'm fine, and I walked to the elevator, and before I got to the elevator, the casting and notes, Oh, I wanted to tell you something. Hold on a second. Before they called the other girl in, I was like, you're good. I was like, oh, oh shit.
Speaker 2: Like when you like as do you remember if it was Brett or Debbie one of those Yeah, And she took you aside.
Speaker 4: She took me aside. At the elevator. I was like, amaze, you were really good, and I said, oh, I wasn't sure what that meant, but I was like and by the time I got to the airport, I was like, you got it.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, that's so awesome.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So on your way back, how much did you drink in celebration?
Speaker 4: I was like, They were like, do you want a champagne or orange juice? Or I was like can I have them both? In one glance? It's like most. I was like, yeah, that's it, give me one of those. And I was like, you want to know almost like yeah, I read another one.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: And then so you had to go back to well, it was just a pilot, so I guess you you weren't planning on moving. You just kind of came out for the pilot, then came out.
Speaker 4: Came out for the pilot, and then you know, by the time we got picked up.
Speaker 3: Okay, so do you remember upfront at all?
Speaker 4: I got Didn't I get hammered?
Speaker 3: That's what I'm asking We all did, but that's what I'm asking.
Speaker 4: Do I remember I remember being on a swing.
Speaker 2: Donald told this story where you were on but it was more than a swing.
Speaker 3: You guys, it was like a trapeze.
Speaker 2: For some reason, this bar we were in had a trapeze and it it's really not safe.
Speaker 4: I wanted to swing, and my and my ex husband had to take me home. Yes, I remember who was the executive, tall guy and he he had a snot on his nose and I was like, you got a booger and you were like And Bill was so impressed and was like, You're the only person I know who would tell, like the head of a network that he has boogers. I was like, but what are you what do you want to know?
Speaker 2: I loved that on one side of that party, Donald's giving Jeff Zucker a noogie. On the other side of the party, you're telling another executive he has a booger on his nose. And Bill had told us all like, guys, do not get too drunk at this party. It's gonna be important executives here.
Speaker 4: We got wasted. Sarrow was wasted.
Speaker 2: Do you remember her famous phrase, Judy At that party, She's she walked.
Speaker 3: Up to had a Cosmopolitan.
Speaker 4: I'm so good.
Speaker 3: I was like child.
Speaker 2: She was. She was walking sideways. I just remember she was like on a diagonal.
Speaker 4: I told her, I was like, I like martinis. You know my friend Richie Petricelli says about Martini's martinis are like tits, one's not enough, threes too many.
Speaker 2: I want that on a T shirt. What was your first impression of meeting Donald because you knew he was going to be your your love interest? And then I did you meet him at the table read thing that we did at Bill's house? Did I go to the table maybe because maybe because you flew in, maybe because I didn't go? So where did you meet Donald?
Speaker 3: On set? I met him on set that I told you this story, dude, like.
Speaker 2: I want to hear it from Judy.
Speaker 3: Okay, sorry that we had that makeout scene.
Speaker 4: We had the makeout scene, right, and.
Speaker 3: You had smoked cigarettes right before.
Speaker 2: Donald's already complained that you were smoking.
Speaker 4: Yes, and of course, okay.
Speaker 1: But since then we smoked so many cigarettes together, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: But what I do remember is that we had that makeout scene and I was completely I felt Donald is Donald. What you see is what you get. He's the sweetest, kindest, relaxed, but very professional guy, right, and I felt very comfortable with Donald. And we had this makeout scene and I don't think that I've ever had a kissing scene like that before, where you know, we're just like making out and I stuck my tongue in his mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, And then he went and then he went everybody who did that a lot? And then and then Donald started with Judy. Didn't Donald start walking around bragging everyone like I got.
Speaker 4: But the first time I did it the first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right away, right immediately.
Speaker 5: But he told like the whole fucking and then he ruined it for nine years.
Speaker 4: But the whole time, the rest of it, the rest, No, but because I was embarrassed. I was embarrassed. This motherfucker goes, it goes. Yo, you stuck your tongue in my mouth. I wasn't supposed to do that. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: So Donald, you in one moment, you have this beautiful woman, she's giving you the first on screen kiss, and then you blab about it and then you never got tongue again, did you.
Speaker 1: Well, No, she did it a couple of times. Hold on, now you did it, Yeah you did. I could I could show you the episode because I remember one episode we're making out and the girl I was dating at the time was like, well, this is awkward, and I was. And it was like the scene where we're supposed to be making out, it's supposed to be a wet, sloppery kiss and stuff like that. And JD even says something about that about our making.
Speaker 3: Out because it's scripted, right, But you.
Speaker 2: Know what I said, that wasn't.
Speaker 1: Mature slower than then girls do. It's just that simple women mature faster.
Speaker 2: I just remember thinking like, I would never brat it out. I remember thinking, I remember thinking like that's not going to end well, Donald, No, it did.
Speaker 4: It didn't end well immediately. No, But I was really embarrassed about it because it just it was. It was just instinctual.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, so before Donald, before Donald ruined it, it was a good kiss. I imagine a kiss.
Speaker 4: I'm a great kid.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, Donald, you fucked up.
Speaker 3: I did fuck up. I fucked up.
Speaker 2: This many years later, you're still listen.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I look back at it now, like what was I thinking?
Speaker 4: Dude?
Speaker 3: What a dummy?
Speaker 4: Listen. The whole crew was was like what are you thinking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's like that thing in Scrubs where they get the opera singer who goes missed.
Speaker 1: It that Kevin Sorbo, That Kevin Sorbo story.
Speaker 3: Have you heard that?
Speaker 4: Which one is that one?
Speaker 1: You know how they put in parentheses the direction that you're supposed to do, and then underneath it usually.
Speaker 2: Is the line, yeah, the parenthetical.
Speaker 3: Right, And in that it said disappointed.
Speaker 1: That was like the last thing underneath the line that he has, so like the line was something like, this isn't my world, this isn't my place. And then in that thing it says it says disappointed. So he's supposed to say all of this disappointed, and he it's trying to figure out a way to muster up the disappointment. Now this is all folklore, this is all this this might not be true, and he trying to figure it out a way to mustard up. He goes disappointed.
Speaker 2: I love those Hollywood stories where you hear something that some actors said, you have no idea if it's true or not, but they're they're funny to hear. I know one with Christina Ricci. Apparently she was I have no again, I have no idea this is true, but I heard this story that she was getting all this direction. The director was going into all this elaborate stuff and She looked at him and said, look more happy or more sad the end of the day, right, just which, when you think about it, is pretty great. It was pretty Let's just just break it all down. Do you want it more happy or do you want it more sad?
Speaker 4: That's very Wednesday of her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to hear your elaborate. Your direction's so confusing. Do you want me happier or sader.
Speaker 4: By then other day? That's like very Carla and Turk, isn't it. It's like, what are you doing? You just ruined it for the rest of our relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, you were such a you two had such a great relationship on the show, and I think so many people were genuinely invested in you too, which is just such a testament to how how good your chemistry was and of course how good both of your performances were.
Speaker 1: But just so so cute also like just so like Carla and Turk together was like, that's definite relationship goals for me. Like if my relationship was like that, would you know? It's so much so that it kind of is like that when you when you really think about it, you know, my wife is the boss of this.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Carler was the boss, you know what I mean, all the way up into how she made the guy ask her out, you know what I mean. She got him to the point where he was she offered sex to him, and he declined, you know what I mean. He declined because he was afraid to ruin the relationship because he saw where it was going, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And that's just so particularly in this episode where where Carla fucks up so bad and she goes to Turk where he's exemplary more that where Carla talks a lot and she's just strong, but she falls apart and she goes to him and she sees what he does, you know, he walks the walk, and she just does what he does at the end of the day, you know, and she sees, she sees how strong Turk is as well, and she goes by his example.
Speaker 2: Judy, do you think that you I mean, I'm sure this has come up for you. I hear it all the time that you inspired a lot of people to become nurses, which must be a pretty incredible thing, because I just I when I watch the show, especially now back and having some experience in hospitals, with sick family members. I'm so aware of the power of the nurses and how the nurses are running the whole show. And to me, when I rewatched this, Carla was just just the exemplar of the most amazing nurse there ever was. And I just wonder what your experience of people, men and women coming up to you and saying you may have inspired them to.
Speaker 4: Go I think that's true. Well, I don't know that that hat. I think that people who may have been considering a career in medicine, they got that extra push from seeing a character like Carla and a Loma and a show like Scrubs. Do you know what I mean? And the strength of someone like that and the true power of those of those people in that profession, do you know what I mean? Where people find, you know, the glory in the doctors, for example, that they don't know that you cannot have those doctors without the nurses. I remember having that conversation with Bill one time where he wanted to explore the idea of Carla wanting to pursue a career as a doctor, and I was like, no, I wasn't interested in that, because I think Carla loves being a nurse and I love you know, that's where her strength and her power and her vanity and her ego live. And I think that she's really okay with that, do you know what I mean? And the dynamics of the relationships with every with her and everyone in the hospital our strongest there, you know what I mean, and that there's nothing wrong with that, and her viewing audience. And for me as a Latina, all these Latinas find strength and well, there's a lot of a huge force with people and women and women of color in particular and particularly at that time.
Speaker 3: I wanted to segue you great segue into this episode. Actually it is.
Speaker 2: And also I just want to point out Joel because she's such a good producer, sent me this statement, sent us this. The Annenberg Inclusion Initiative at the University of Southern California released a study in twenty nineteen that said, quote Latino actors represented only three percent of lead or co lead roles in top performing movies during the last twelve years. That this is movies, not TV, but it's the same thing. What impression do you think Carla left on your community? Which I thought was a really smart question that I have to give Joelle a credit for I think.
Speaker 4: It left a huge impression. I get again, I get it all the time, and I think people built on it. A lot of roles were designed on Carla as a result, you know, a lot of strong, sassy roles as a result of that.
Speaker 2: But not, I mean, you're you weren't a caricature in any sense, not in any sense. I thought it was a testament to the writing, absolutely.
Speaker 4: Obviously, And it's and I think it's been challenging to find characters and roles that have been as strong and as memorable since. You know, I know, it's hard for me to find roles that have been as strong and as memorable since and and for me to find you, just like you were talking and that and that, uh, the podcast that I was listening with you guys and Bill. People want like a phase on type of character, you know, built on because that's the power and the force of a very well written, very well acted show where you're trying to just build on the kind of actor that you are, but move past that is a real challenge because it's hard to find written roles. But yeah, and the discussions and the arguments of the debates that you have with the writers to keep it real and keep it honest, keep it flawed, keep it complicated, which is all that Bill and the writers responded to really honestly, you know. And Bill responded to when I said, yeah, let's keep her a nurse, because you know, that's where the challenge is in a hospital environment living.
Speaker 2: And he was really respectful of your input, I think, And all right, we're gonna go to commercial because that'shere we're supposed to do.
Speaker 3: Donald. I thought we were going to go into the episode.
Speaker 2: We're going to but I'm seeing a chat from this producer. This is like the longest do you ever look at the chat thsposed talking about the show though I know, bro, but listen, Judy is entertaining as hell, and.
Speaker 3: We're gonna go. I'm not saying it's her fault.
Speaker 2: Why are you yelling at all of us? It feels like you're yelling.
Speaker 3: No one's yelling. I'm just saying the formats all fucked up. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: We're stricken iced tea, No Judy.
Speaker 6: Donald.
Speaker 2: I'm a little worried because we're only we're only like eight episodes in and Donald has taken the day.
Speaker 3: Drinking only on shoot days. Only on shoot days.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling by the time we get to like episode twenty, he's gonna be the camera like and another thing.
Speaker 4: He's gonna be screaming. By episode eight, well, they'll be like what.
Speaker 2: His shirt will be off? His shirt will be off. Do you remember that time, Judy, we were all at a bar like, Oh no, I won't tell the whole story. I won't tell the whole story, but all I know is that Donald got drunk enough so that his shirt was off in the bar.
Speaker 3: And I just remember saying ice bar too.
Speaker 1: It was an ice bar, so it's it's there's a room where you go in and it's nothing but ice.
Speaker 3: And I went in that room shirtless and drank.
Speaker 2: No, but you were walking around the park. I mean, this was just hilarious now I think about it was. It was our whole cast and crew, and we were all partying. I don't know if it was a wrap thing or whatever, but all of a sudden I look over and Donald was drunk enough so that he was like having animated discus Rushians without his shirt on in the bar.
Speaker 4: The fact that you remember that.
Speaker 1: Because I did, I did some stupid things, and my then girlfriend now wife showed up to surprise me, and I was acting a fool at the bar.
Speaker 4: Evidence.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's such a good story. But I don't know.
Speaker 3: If I don't know, I don't know. If I don't know, can he asked.
Speaker 2: Casey if we can have permission Mabel tail on a later episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll ask her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But in the meantime, just know that Donald got in trouble and also had his shirt off.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, do you remember the time Donald got in trouble. That's like every.
Speaker 3: That's a lot that happened a lot.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. Every every episode he got in trouble and took off Oh my god, said part of clothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And when Donald would yeah, he did his clothes off. And then if he got to the next level drunk, he'd leave angrily, and like sometimes he'd leave angrily with no shirt on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, yo, dude, that my god.
Speaker 4: That's just Donald the newtist.
Speaker 2: You need to show right, he wants will home so mad. We won't go into this story.
Speaker 3: We won't go in this is that he walked.
Speaker 2: We live. We both lived at the time in the Hollywood Hills and he once walked home, walked home, no shirt on.
Speaker 3: From the brea and melrose up.
Speaker 2: Into the Hollywood Hills, like there's no sidewalks, Like people don't walk where Donald. This is where Donald walked and he was powerwalking, like arms flying, mad, naked.
Speaker 1: Naked, but I was mad, Yeah, like that, you're really mad. Yeah, it's a long story.
Speaker 2: That's a long story. Some of these stories we have to censor. Should we get into the.
Speaker 3: Episode, we should totally get into the.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to say the first thing that I noticed, and I is that Donald CPR at forty eight seconds is I would not bring anyone back to life, but I just want to say something.
Speaker 3: It was a real human being. I'm not allowed you, I know.
Speaker 2: I want to tell the audience that it's a tricky thing to give fake CPR because if you do CPR for real, you can kill someone. So when you watch horrible TV and movie CPR, it sometimes looked like this. But I just wanted to say that I thought you did a particularly bad job.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you very much, thank you.
Speaker 4: It wasn't the real JD there at the time on set to approve the favorite.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, but if you look at if you look at fake CPR all throughout medical TV shows, there's different techniques. But and and you know, some people just like completely bed in their elbows so none of the pressure goes down on the person's stern. I don't know what Donald's doing here, but I just maybe JD had an emergency.
Speaker 4: Maybe he was hungover from that powerwak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know why this is a highlight of this podcast today.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, buddy, I'm just saying, next time you do fake CPR in one of your projects, you know you can do better. I believe in you. Okay, let's talk about the Holy Inferiority Complex Batman. This is one of some people's favorite fact.
Speaker 3: You know what I wrote down when I saw.
Speaker 2: That what one of that man.
Speaker 1: Robin Starsky and Hutch Han and Chewy Han and Luke.
Speaker 3: Turk and JD.
Speaker 2: Are you're putting us up up there.
Speaker 1: I'm saying we are ultimate, ultimate dynamic duo.
Speaker 2: I want to say that. You know, there's certain things that come up all the time in Scrubs, fan favorite things that they send us gifts or they send or I see them on the interwebs, and this episode has a few of them actually, but this Batman Holy Inferity Inferiority complex is one of them.
Speaker 4: I think it's great because then then you to at least you're not Alfred and then you're in the Kick.
Speaker 1: That was my best Adam west impersonation ever, too. I don't think I could ever, Like, you know, people are like to Neil Diamond. I think my Adam west impersonation was better than my Neil Diamond.
Speaker 3: You're worst, Robin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your mask is so funny. I just have it frozen on one seventeen and I know that, like we weren't, like we weren't allowed to do the exact costume again because it's parody. It like has to have a little twist on it. But your mask is so funny.
Speaker 3: It's like Marty grau Ma, It's like a Marty Gras mask.
Speaker 2: I know what it was. It was. It's like a Martin So funny too.
Speaker 4: Because those were the days too, whenever we had to do like the Scrubs fantasies or whatever, where we was like, oh are they doing the fantasy And everybody would run down from their dressing rooms and come see everybody and do the costumes and the fantasies. And I'd be like, I said, when do.
Speaker 2: You actually get one Judy? One thing?
Speaker 3: One thing?
Speaker 2: I hear one thing. I noticed Judy at three twenty three? You are you? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong. You weren't often in the fantasies, but this was. But this is one because because I don't know why we can talk about that, but this was one of the early times where you were in there doing that throwing stars thing.
Speaker 4: And I'll tell you because I was also listening to when I was listening to the Bill podcast, I remember you know how you know how Bill always warned us not to go and talk to him about including or getting it because you would get faisoned. And that would be terrified I'm talking to him about shit like that. It would be like, you know, because he would always let me know this a sudden your character there would be carrying the gravitas of the show, and I was like, but I'm funny, goddamn it. I'd be worried about It's like, how do I talk to this man about the fact that I'm funny and I want like a fantasy and you know, or I want more jokes and shit, you know, and those would be like and I would literally sometimes be in my dressing room, like trying not to cry because I'm about to confront Bill about wanting more another joke or wanting this or wanting that, because I wouldn't want to be faisoned or some shit.
Speaker 2: So what would you do? Would you give yourself a bit of a pep talk?
Speaker 4: Oh my god? Yeah, and I would like cry in my room before you know, I'd be pulling like an elliot in my room. Yeah, I freaked out, you know.
Speaker 2: And was he receptive?
Speaker 4: He was receptive. He was receptive, I think.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have no idea what his reasoning was, but I but it sounds like, just from hearing you recount it, that that Carla was always the base of the reality and and the gravitas and the drama. So he didn't want her going into being too silly. But it's funny in this episode, you do have some funny ass shit.
Speaker 3: I think I like the ninja stuff.
Speaker 2: That was funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was very.
Speaker 1: Fun walking in with your girlfriend laughing and everything and then getting caught out there. Yeah, yeah, that was I was gonna say, I I didn't recall. To be honest, I don't recall a lot of I say this every single podcast. I don't recall a lot of scrubs when watching it. But I didn't recall that you and Elliott had such a rocky start. I always thought that you guys had a great relation ship. But I do you remember when it switched to where you guys became Was it early on? Because like, even in this episode, you're totally dissing her, you know, you like you know, and and it seems like it's always that way. She puts her foot in her mouth and you're like, I got to get the hell away from this person. Carl's like I got to get the hell away.
Speaker 2: Well, in the beginning, Sarah was pretty disrespectful to Carla, you know, like she you know, so I think I would imagine, I mean, obviously I want to know your answer, but my impression was that she was still feeling resentful towards towards Elliott, right.
Speaker 4: I think so. And I think it's more like she she doesn't get it and she never will, you know what I mean. And I think it's JD's impulse always to just like smooth things sober over and fix things and help other people understand that she's really not just awkward. She's always screwing things up, just like you know, trying to help people understand or explain people to other people, you know what I mean? And I just I got no time for this.
Speaker 1: Do you recall when it switched over to Carla being that person for Elliott, you know what I mean, where Carla was making excuses for oh, this is just the way she is. Did it ever switch over to that or was Carla always.
Speaker 4: I don't, I mean, I really don't. I know, I know that it happened in this episode.
Speaker 1: I don't know, well in this episode, even after you're like, I'm sorry I did that, we all know the truth, right.
Speaker 3: No, nobody want to hang out with Elliott.
Speaker 2: Exactly, especially when she's rocking a neckerchief. Did you see that neckerchief? And I thought that was really funny that moment, it's around five six or so, when you guys are walking into you're going out outfits and she's got her khakis and her little like Scooby Doo, what's the character in Scooby Doo that has the neckerchief? It was so random. Yeah, that was her going out outfit.
Speaker 4: So sanitary, and she puts her.
Speaker 2: Foot in her mouth with your friend, Yes because she has a son, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, she has a son who's like really young, and she's like, Wow, way to rob the cradle.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 1: I had a lot of issues with this episode as far as stereotypes go. And I know this is the episode with Stereo about stereotypes and everything like that, but there's just so many things that, you know, one of the lines Turk says in the show is like, you know, all my whole life, people always assume that I'm a good athlete, that I that I that I uh uh was it. I'm a good athlete. I grew up poor and I love Sanford and Son. Those things are kind of true about me at.
Speaker 3: The end of the day.
Speaker 1: I'm a pretty decent athlete. I didn't grow up with a lot of money, and I truly love Sanford and Son.
Speaker 4: But it's the obvious exploitation of those things and trying to me money off of that ship.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, there's a there's a lot of deep things that that we talk about in this episode. You know, you you touched on it earlier, and that's why I was saying it was such a great segue into this episode. You know, people of color don't go to hospitals or don't go to the doctor, you know what I mean. And it's because they don't. My opinion is because they don't see themselves when they go. They see a bunch of other colors when they go, and that can be very scary, you know what I mean. We touch on it in this episode, but I feel like, yeah, I understand why Turk's upset because you know, his face is placid and he's being exploited to try and bring a hip new crowd into the hospital and everything like that. But there's something deeper in that one. I didn't know that Sacred Heart was in the inner city. I had no idea that it was an inner city hospital.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 2: You didn't this whole time.
Speaker 1: This whole time, there's so listen hard people of color in the right, in the in the hospital, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Uh and uh.
Speaker 1: You know, at the end of the day, this was something that really struck home with me. You know, we talk about we talk about COVID now and how you know, people of color are are a very high percentage of people that are dying because we have so many underlying conditions and stuff like that. But a lot of that has to do with being afraid to go to the doctor or to the hospital because when you go there, they're either going to give you bad news or you're gonna die, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And I feel like it's so prevalent in this you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You know, we talk about it in this episode in a small way, but that's what I took away from this. I took what my takeaway from this was, you know, it's more than just turk being exploited. It has everything to do with, you know, how can we make health care better for people of color? But my first thing was, wow, I wish we truthfully need to figure out this healthcare system when it comes to the stigmatism that people of color have when they go to a hospital. When I finished the episode, I was like, Okay, the lesson is nobody wants to be taking advantage of and stand up for yourself and everything like that.
Speaker 3: I was like, but there's something deeper in that.
Speaker 1: Also, where the hell did this kid and I get this fucking imaginary football from?
Speaker 2: I just started laughing at that too to each other. At the end of the show, I was laughing at that too. I was like, sweet a second, you were stitching him up in an o R and then all of a sudden, there's a football was there was on the shelf.
Speaker 3: Like how did this? How did this happen?
Speaker 2: By the way, and that story, and that story's pretty glossed over too. It's like, you got knifed, Yeah, you got stabbed, Yeah, you got stabbed in the arm. Yeah, let's toss a ball.
Speaker 3: Let's play football, now you know what I mean. And that's what I was sitting there. I was like, this is some stereotypical bullshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he got knifed in the arm, and you were then you're making some joke like I got this from What was your joke? Like I, oh my my injuries from.
Speaker 3: This or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, here, Jim, here's a ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's play catch.
Speaker 2: Let's have a catch in the r. That wrestling fantasy was pretty funny.
Speaker 4: I think I love that I'm going to prove you.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna prove you because I'm the in turn.
Speaker 2: I was so excited to do that. I like pro wrestling when I was.
Speaker 3: A kid j D Macho man savage.
Speaker 2: I accidentally freeze framed at seven oh six, and I think it might be the most unattractive shot of me in Scrub's history. It was like this wide angle lens and I'm all up close to it, my giant nose, and.
Speaker 1: And your hair likes show enough. You had hair like show enough from the last Dragon two, by.
Speaker 2: The way, I like my hair like that. I was really enjoying it. I mean, the wig extension, whatever it is. I think that they did a good job because I wish I could rock hair like that. My hair would never do that.
Speaker 4: It wouldn't.
Speaker 2: No, it wouldn't. It wouldn't be so glorious.
Speaker 4: Neither would mine.
Speaker 2: No, you have beautiful curly hair. I'm looking My hair wouldn't be.
Speaker 4: Like all straight and shite.
Speaker 2: Judy talking about that bar scene at eight oh four. Do you remember shooting that and it's the when you when you show up and Sarah's drinking alone? Do you remember shooting that? Or and that woman that you worked with that I don't know. I'm sorry, I don't know her name. I mean, you probably don't remember her naming there, but I thought she did a good job.
Speaker 4: No, she was super sweet, And I do remember like the whole idea of doing that scene. I I just loved the idea of fucking up on someone so badly, you know, and just being so ugh, so uncomfortable around someone that.
Speaker 3: You would, uh hide under a table, you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: Hide under a table, do you know what I mean? And having to like try to find ways to just completely avoid them because you screwed up so badly. And how I'm telling Turk, you're such a guy and you don't fucking understand what's going on. And then Jad comes and I'm so sorry what I did and they apologize to each other like nothing happened.
Speaker 2: Do you think that that's a good What do you think the commentary is there that like men can communicate with each other? I mean what I laughed at that, but then I was thinking, like, what is what is the social commentary there? Just the just that Turk and GD have such a close relationship and they know how to communicate.
Speaker 4: I think so. I think they already apologize to each other, but they want to say, listen, I hope you got me. I'm really sorry for what happened. I didn't mean it, I know, that you didn't mean it as cool, you know what I mean? Just right after and I think she realizes, like, shit, I really just have to go confront her, you know where she's trying to avoid it. I think, you know, guy, but these these guys they're so they're such good friends that they're going to they're not going to do that to their friendship, you know. And he's and and Turk is looking off and then you know we're getting there. She's looking at him like, you know, go fuck yourself.
Speaker 2: And then we did that. There's some sound effect on our fist bump that's like hit me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, their friendship isn't healed and by no means of friendship. And and Aloma and I love that whole and the whole nurse thing with like Aloma being in the JD seek his his fucking evaluations so desperately from Cox. I think fits into that story so well. He's asking from Aloma and miss doctor Cox is there. She's like, can't you see I'm watching my story? Yeah, I remember that whole my story is thing being so hilarious during that episode. I do remember, and everybody's like quoting it all over the place.
Speaker 2: Aloma was so funny. You could just give her anything, and.
Speaker 4: She's just like one line and she's just magical. Yeah, she comes and what Carla didn't give Elliott Laverne gave her. You know it was Alma right, played so beautiful. She because it just gives her. She goes, why so sad Marshall meallow, and then she gives her a little hot chocolate little marshmallow.
Speaker 3: Did marshmallow stick Marshall? Did it? Did?
Speaker 4: I think it did? Yeah?
Speaker 2: We think Carla and Nurse Roberts were friends outside of work. Yes, yeah, absolutely, that story never got told. I want to see I want to see the Nurse Roberts Carla Vegas trip.
Speaker 3: Did Aloma ever go with us to Vegas? Did she go with us to Vegas for the rap?
Speaker 2: I think so. I think Alma was. I think Alma was religious and she wasn't.
Speaker 1: She was staying away from that. Jesus will not be there.
Speaker 3: I know that I.
Speaker 4: Think she would have done been at the slot machine the whole time.
Speaker 3: But do you remember that Vegas trip?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We went twice, do you know that? I don't know.
Speaker 1: We went for one one time we went for like a birthday and then another time we went for.
Speaker 3: Am I wrong? I might be wrong.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Well, we definitely went for to shoot this thing with the Blue Man Group, and then we stayed and had a party, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, No, that was the Rap Party.
Speaker 2: Was the Rap Party and the Blue Man Group thing the same trip. No, there were two trips to Vegas.
Speaker 3: There were like three or four trips to What a good deal? Great deal?
Speaker 1: That's another question. When the last time any of you have been to Vegas.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's wise for me to go to Vegas anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember when I went to Vegas, and I think Bill was I was like, I've never played poker or I've never played lette. Come on, come on, you can do it. You could do it, you could do it. And I played and I beat him and he got pissed.
Speaker 3: That's I remember Bill.
Speaker 2: Bill Laurin says one of the best quotes about Vegas that I always think about, and he goes, I've never had a good second night in Vegas.
Speaker 4: It's the day.
Speaker 2: You gotta go and get the fuck out and get out, get out. Donald. I once went to Vegas with Donald and Jude on many I've been to Vegas many times with Donald. But once he uh, we were playing blackjack and he got crushed and he went upstairs and went to sleep. It was like nine thirty. He was so mad that how badly he got beaten blackjack that he just he said, dismounted. And I don't think you came back out. You went to bed at like nine thirty.
Speaker 1: Well, I came out the next day. I met y'all at the pool the next day.
Speaker 2: Get a good night's sleep, Yeah, sleep. I wanted to say that billboard at nine fifty eight, that that that Kelso has made was really up. So nowadays that would be a visual effect, but back in two thousand and one, they made that billboard and it was and I remember it was up for a little while, right Donald.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't realize that the rainbow flag was behind it though.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Diversity, Yeah, you know what I thought.
Speaker 1: The diversity was the fact that a white guy and a black guy could work at the same hospital together.
Speaker 3: That black guy was gay, not that the black guy was gay.
Speaker 4: Remember, I remember that they took down all the posters in the hospital, but they left the was up up for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Those were hilarious, by the way, I wish I was. When I was watching this episode, I was I wish I had one of those as a souvenir.
Speaker 1: Time to get an EKGG would be hanging up in my house, dude.
Speaker 2: Time to get an ekg G is my favorite one. Oh my gosh, I wanted to say that A ten o eight is when you get mad at me. We're in car about the billboard and then I do an homage to the movie Vacation where I go roll them up. Do you remember that? Do you remember? Do you remember in the movie Vacation when Chevy Chase is frantically they end up in a bad neighborhood and they're stealing their their their tired, their hubcaps, and there's they hear a gunshot and chevy Chase goes roll them up, roll out the windows.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 2: So I just recognize my homage to Vacation there, and then.
Speaker 3: Also said keep it real.
Speaker 1: You also said keep it real in the scene where you come where we apologize to it. Yes, after the fist bump, you said keep it real.
Speaker 3: That's a bit of a bit of an homage to I would say.
Speaker 2: Oh to chevy Chase, No to clueless, Oh to clueless sorry, ten forty one. This is the Sandford and Son thing, which is pretty funny. And I laughed out loud when you did it, like reluctantly. You did your you're sad, like I try and get you into the Sandford sonthing and then you sort of.
Speaker 3: Well, I do it because I can't really help it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but it's it's this. You had this look on your face, is like so reluctant but you can't help it.
Speaker 3: But I can't help it. We're purp, We're better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then it cuts and then it cuts to an ass slapping dance where we're seeing.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's just dirt.
Speaker 2: That's a special moment in Scrubs history with us both dancing and as slapping. Bill had reference to you being on the brochure twice when he's on this is the moment that happens eleven thirty four.
Speaker 1: Now, he said this was a problem that he some people got mad about it.
Speaker 2: I'm sure people get mad at everything, but I think this was a real story. I think, as I understand, this was taken from a real anecdote where a coology had gotten caught putting the same person on the on the brochure twice. We're gonna take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And we are back before we want to jump in, before we started, before we started.
Speaker 4: This is Tiffany.
Speaker 7: Hi, Tiffany th Inster being here.
Speaker 3: Tiffany, how are you?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, sorry, this is beautiful, super excited.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: Wait, Joelle, what did you want to say? Befo, we want to get all this what did you want to say?
Speaker 7: So this is a surprise for Tiffany's husband, so he does not know that he's about you want to talk to you guys?
Speaker 4: Why Tishany.
Speaker 2: That's really nice.
Speaker 4: That's really nice of you too.
Speaker 2: So, Tiffany, he has no clue that he's going to speak to the three of us.
Speaker 5: No, he has absolutely no idea that our anniversary is on Friday, nine years well, nine years married this year, best anniversary present.
Speaker 2: Ever anything, goodness ever again?
Speaker 6: So what do you are you?
Speaker 3: Are you also in your closet? Yes, Faison style right, no doubt.
Speaker 2: And Judy Ray's style is.
Speaker 3: Judy Rays is in her closet too.
Speaker 2: Now, Tiffany, what are you going to tell him? Are you going to say that you guys get get on a zoom.
Speaker 3: Are you gonna be like it right now, get him the closet.
Speaker 2: No, don't, don't that he'll be disappointed if he finds out it's us and his wife's luring him too. The closet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he has, he has no idea. I had to come up with a very elaborate ruse to try to work all this out. I'm a horrible liar. So he either thinks I'm having some kind of breakdown or hiding something from him. So well, the big reveal is going to be fabulous.
Speaker 2: So what's the plan? How do we best form you?
Speaker 4: How do you do this?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: He thinks I'm in the closet right now on an important work phone call, and so I was going to go out there and say I need tech support.
Speaker 3: I can't. I can't log into the call it go do it, go do it right now?
Speaker 6: Are you ready? Are you ready?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: I might cry, guys, and I'm an ugly crier, you know, just a fair warning. Looks like I got hit in the face with a suck of marvel.
Speaker 3: So don't worry.
Speaker 2: Nobody's gonna be a horror CRY's going to virtually hug you.
Speaker 3: And we're fake doctor. So we're used to, so we're kind of used to.
Speaker 2: We see lots of fake emotion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nice, Okay, I'm gonna bear it back.
Speaker 2: This is exciting. Good work, Joel, good producing, Joel. This is this is this really added a little little spice. I'm nervous, are you guys nervous? I don't want him to be disappointed? What if he's like, oh I thought Donald's drunk.
Speaker 3: He doesn't feel Donald's drunk. Hold on, guys, I've got a nice little buzz going.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I'm really stressed out.
Speaker 5: These are just my my coworkers that are from the call.
Speaker 2: Hi, Hey, hey, your coworkers.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, can you help us with this?
Speaker 6: Carla?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm sorry, can you help us with this?
Speaker 2: Happy anniversary?
Speaker 4: This is for you, This is for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, come sit down, Come sit.
Speaker 3: Down, join us. Leave you cheese to sound. Do you know what to day is? It's your anniversary?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, they're crying.
Speaker 3: Anniversary.
Speaker 2: Oh you guys can hug Oh no, they're hugging you guys.
Speaker 3: They're hugging crying.
Speaker 2: This is so beautiful.
Speaker 1: He seems to be crying. This is how this is how I went down. Your wife called Disney Studios, and was like, I need a favor and Disney Studios.
Speaker 2: Provided that's not true at all.
Speaker 3: That's not true, your amazing wife.
Speaker 2: Guys podcast and uh and and we're we the three of us, Donald face On, Judy Rays and I Zach Braff are your anniversary present.
Speaker 1: You can thank iHeartRadio. You can thank Joe l And, you can thank Dan.
Speaker 2: And Tiffany Roguez, Donald and.
Speaker 1: More most importantly, you thank your wife. Do you want to do you want to hug?
Speaker 2: They can hug again. Oh my god, Oh my god, you want to This is so exciting. Okay, Joelle's crying everybody, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not crying.
Speaker 2: Well you will be.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna cry.
Speaker 2: Well anyway, Hi, We're so glad that you like our little TV show and and and we just wanted to say, have the anniversary. And if you wanted to ask us anything or or anything, we're here to answer questions. It could be about the show, it could be about your life, whatever you want.
Speaker 6: I feel like I feel like when you met Lando, I mean, don't do it.
Speaker 2: Donald him a little Lando.
Speaker 1: You know, here's a little here's a little, here's a little trivia. I was doing like a celebration. So Star Wars has a celebration every year, right, and I was doing a celebration one of the celebrations because I voiced one of the characters on a Star Wars television show. And yeah, somebody told me that Billy D Williams was next door and that I should go say hi to him. And I got really excited. I was like, oh, snap, Billy D wants to say hi to me. Okay, let me go say hi. So I walked into the room and I you know, there's a bunch of people in line and they're waiting to say hi to Billy D and take picture with him.
Speaker 3: And I walk into I go.
Speaker 1: Grison and he jumps and then he looks over at me and he's like the lines over there, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you must have been crushed. He's like, you broke my heart.
Speaker 3: It broke my heart.
Speaker 2: In your mind, my heart in your mind. You thought he was going to be like, don come over here.
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Anyway, so if you have any questions that you want to ask, don't.
Speaker 2: Be don't be shy, tell us ask us anything. He's your favorite guest star.
Speaker 3: I guess favorite guest.
Speaker 2: Star, favorite guest star. Do you want to go first? As since you're our favorite guest ever I had, I.
Speaker 4: Could tell you the first most shocking guest star because I don't know. I'm like that, I don't necessarily get starstruck. But I remember the first time I remember we had Eric Strada. Yes, and he was on the You guys remember Erica Strata from Chips.
Speaker 1: For those of you out there who don't, who don't remember the show Chips, Uh, there was an actor on the show by the name of Erica Strada who was America's heart throb back in the day.
Speaker 4: Yes, and he wasn't supposed to be the star guy who was supposed to be starting the show. Who knows nobody remembers his name? I remember him.
Speaker 1: That's a character's named Erica Strada is the actual name of the dude who played punch.
Speaker 2: Well, can you tell us his name? Please? I feel dission.
Speaker 4: Myself too. But nonetheless, when I came in to hearing makeup and and there was Erica Strata getting his he was just doing like a you know, like a real quick guest appearance. And I saw him, I was like, by just standing in the same room with this guy, I couldn't even speak, and now I have a big giant I did. I remember Wayne Brady had a talk show at that time, and I told him that story and he gave me a giant poster of Eric Astratta that I still have in my garage of Eric Astrata hot pants.
Speaker 2: I remember. I remember that Eric Estrada were really tight tight motorcycle pants.
Speaker 3: They all did. By the way, the actors was will Cox.
Speaker 4: Larry Larry Wilcox, Yes, my apologies.
Speaker 2: All right, well you know you didn't didn't have his name, but we want to make sure we get it out there to respect all members of the Screen Actors Guild. Donald, who is your favorite guest?
Speaker 3: Jar Billy d Williams.
Speaker 1: Obviously I really enjoyed, uh when Colin Farrell came on the show.
Speaker 4: Love Colin Farrell. I like that all of us men and women almost made up with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sarah really early was excited to make out of him.
Speaker 1: And then of course Brendan Fraser man like yes, oh, and also and also Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 2: You're supposed to pick one, Donald if.
Speaker 3: I if I have to pick one.
Speaker 2: The exercise was to pick one, not just starting off famous people.
Speaker 3: Oh well, then for me it would have to be Billy D. Williams.
Speaker 2: For me, it was John Ridder, hands down, because John Ridder when I was a kid. You'll hear me say this over and over again. I my intro at physical comedy was Three's Company. I just thought that was the funniest shit I had ever seen in my life. And John Ritter doing physical comedy was just He's a man. He could fall over a couch like like no one, and I just thought he was a master. And then so when he came on to play my father, I was just gushing. I was just I loved him so much. And in fact, he was supposed to come back for the second time. Literally he was going to shoot Monday, and I believe he died that weekend, the weekend, No, the week he died the if not the night before.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, he was supposed to come in and he passed away after they wrapped or while they were making the show that he was on at the time, And he was going to come and do our show the next day, right, And and it's really amazing how quickly Tom Cavanaugh, who was not scheduled to be on the show, showed up to be on the episode, and how they changed it around and make it so that so that John Ritter's character had passed away on the show as well.
Speaker 2: They had to frantically rewrite it. But that that's mine. I mean, I'm literally getting goosebumps as I tell this story. Just and I and I had him. I have a framed wall on my on my in my house of all these framed family pictures and Donald's on there a few times, of course, and there was literally one of the most prominent pictures was a picture of me and John Ritter, just because he was just so important to me and I loved him a lot.
Speaker 1: I remember when he said my name the first time, and it caught me. It kind of caught me off guard, you know what I mean. I was, holy cow, Wow, John Rettan knows my name?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I as you did, Zach. I also grew up one Three's company, and uh yeah, I that that's a that's a you know what. As much as I love Billy D. Williams, meeting John Ritter was and Michael J. Fox also were highlights for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, how about another question, because now that it looks like your face has has settled in a little bit. You're not stunned as much anymore right now.
Speaker 3: I I you know, your eyes aren't knocking.
Speaker 2: I another I don't know if I have another question, Tiffany.
Speaker 3: Do you have any question?
Speaker 2: Tiffany? How about you?
Speaker 5: Would you guys ever consider doing a live taping so that we could go and see you and yeah, after obviously after all the COVID nineteen stuff, but well, you.
Speaker 2: Know, you know, well go ahead, you're gonna say, yeah, Donald, I will Donald.
Speaker 3: Want to do that.
Speaker 1: We just don't know when all of this is going to go away, you know what I mean. I don't know where you guys are. We're in Los Angeles right now, and we have strict policies in Los Angeles, as we should we you know, we have a lot of COVID patients here, and so I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, well, even COVID aside, there's no plans to do anything like that. And in fact, you know, Scrubs was shot like a film, not in from an audience, although as you recall, we did that that one sitcom spoof where we did it in front of a live audience. That was yeah, that was Look, you know, it's the title you are good. That was a lot of fun, you know, because I never donald this, had done sitcoms before. I had never done a sitcom.
Speaker 4: Uh no, I mean I've done I did a pilot, and I did a guest.
Speaker 2: Star, and I had done theater. But but there was it was really fun doing that. That's do you guys remember that. I just remember thinking like, oh, now I see the allure of doing this to come. It's such a high, Like the audience is so amped up, it's like cold, and they've got a lot of sugar and uh and they just laugh at whatever you do and and and we were Obviously it was a well written episode, so it was genuinely funny. But I remember really thinking like, oh, that could be fun to do.
Speaker 4: Are you guys in the medical industry at all? I'm just curious because you're such enormous fans. O.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I was military for I was army for a little bit.
Speaker 2: But h where do you guys live Northern California?
Speaker 6: Patterson It's right up the five on the other side of the Bay Area.
Speaker 3: Oh so you guys are in the Bay Area.
Speaker 2: We could be over in like five and a half hours if you guys can make.
Speaker 3: Us dinner anytime, anytime with your cooking. What's your cooking tonight, tacos? It's Wednesday left.
Speaker 4: Over Wednesday over here as well.
Speaker 2: Really, guys, let's head up there. We're driving separate cars and we'll sit in here in your backyard.
Speaker 1: We will maintain safe distancing, I promise you.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for what a great surprise and uh and our pleasure show and anniversary anniversary, Tiffany, you are a good wife. I got to say, it is a good surprise.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm never gonna have to buy anything ever again. I'm just gonna I'm just gonna, you know, take a picture of that, and you know, just like that's it every year, remember twenty twenty, that's what I take the picture.
Speaker 1: Now, let's take the picture and let me get let me get fresh for you, let me get us for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, okay, make sure you get Joel too. And that's how well always remember that, that's how well always remember them.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, yeah, accidentally I should have heard him them.
Speaker 3: He's like.
Speaker 2: The screams, oh my god.
Speaker 5: Wow, this guys, you were just totally awesome and thank you for doing this. Where we're watching pleasure, watching the show, listening to the podcast.
Speaker 4: It's just awesome right now.
Speaker 2: Thank you. We're having so much fun doing and it means a lot to us that that you're loving listening and and please stay safe up there and enjoy Taco Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Be healthy.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Bye, guys, guys.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you technically are supposed to hang up, but okay, you don't have to be.
Speaker 4: We can be together forever. I like it. I like it. Judy, let's do that.
Speaker 6: You're rocking the curly hair.
Speaker 3: No no, but really hang up now because we got a rest.
Speaker 2: Of get the fuck Outriuez.
Speaker 4: Is getting the out.
Speaker 3: I love y'all. Thank you, Thank you so much, guys, thank you.
Speaker 2: Welcome Josh. That was great, Joelle, Joel. I don't know how a caller can I mean, you really brought it.
Speaker 4: How did you do that?
Speaker 2: I don't know how anyone's ever going to compete with that, you know.
Speaker 7: I wanted to really quickly get some tips. If you guys want to write in a letter, make sure your subject line is just really expressive. That's going to pop out. It's like we have thousands and thousands of letters for people wanting to call in and so just you know whatever, you can put your question in there, if you have a good one, if you have a good story, we'll probably wait till we surprise someone. So don't try to set that up just yet.
Speaker 4: You know, no words top that bitches.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, we should, we should remind you well if you do, even though Joel says she's getting thousands of them. If you do want to ask a question, you go to write an email to scrubs iHeart at gmail dot com. Find a way to stand out and and it'll all be up to Joel's eyeballs. Who gets to come on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't blame me if you call in, and if you try to call in, or you'd send an email and you don't get a response, it's not my fault.
Speaker 3: You blame Joel.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna believe this. But Donald's not the one sifting through the thousands of emails.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you blame Joel, You blame Joel.
Speaker 2: It's you gotta put some bass in your face.
Speaker 3: In your voice. You're gonna fall for no banana in the tailpipe.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna fall for now the nana in the tailpipe. I ain't gonna fall too.
Speaker 3: Much.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, no banana, no tailpipe?
Speaker 3: What alright? So I was gonna say something. I was gonna say something.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, got notes. I'm so impressed.
Speaker 3: I always have notes this from I always have no to good.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that you were always rocking notes. I just thought you were making drinks of there in the close.
Speaker 1: No boy, go ahead, Doctor Kelse Turk and this doctor Turk. He calls him doctor Turk now right, and not Turkleton. So does this mess up the lore that Kelso doesn't know Turk's last name is Turkleton and he's just calling him doctor Turk like he would call uh doctor Dorrian doctor. He would therefore be calling doctor Dorriyan doctor John. Or did they decide somewhere down the line, This is a good Bill Lawrence question. Did they decide somewhere down the line that Kelso just forgot Turk's name altogether?
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll ask Bill that here, Joelle, what was what was the intention? I imagine that someone just missed it and uh and decided it would be funny later on. If if Kelso had no idea what your name and thought your name was Turk Turkleton, which is very funny.
Speaker 1: That's that's one of the funniest that's when. That's another thing that I really loved. I've been spewing about this, Judy because I really feel like our relationship is the one. I mean, yeah, they follow JD and Elliott throughout the show, but our relationship from the gate, from the beginning of the show to season eight is is you know, you watch it grow, and by season three, when we finally get into the wedding and all of that stuff, I really felt like it was earned. By the time we got there, you know what I mean, Like we had been through so many the characters had been through so many things, and so you know, when I look back at all of this stuff, when I look back at me singing Missus Jones and you know, me hiding in your in your closet at your mom's house, and then when you finally decide to move in, and you know, there's a breakup between Turk and Carl and all of that stuff before they get married, I feel like it's really earned. And I don't necessarily remember how the episode of us getting married turns out, but I just remember it feeling so epic when we were shooting it.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, because.
Speaker 1: All of this stuff that we had been through and the first few seasons were coming to a head at at that point, and I just felt like our romance on the show was just you know, I said it to Bill, I think I thought it was perfect.
Speaker 3: You didn't.
Speaker 1: You didn't necessarily need to watch the show to understand that Turk and Carla were the.
Speaker 4: Were they lung together? Yeah, were strength and the foundation. Yeah, a part of that, like in essence, kind of like the way the episode ends, it's kind of like the reason you belong in this place. And the way these people together like a family, it's kind of like, you know, they're like that parental force, the place that you belong, the reason that you feel like you go there, you know what I mean, like meant to be, you know, by the the fuck ups and the breakups and the ups and the downs. They're funny together. They understand each other. He's silly where she's a little too serious, because you can't have them both be silly at the same time, you know what I mean. She's she's got him. Yeah, she grounds him, and she grounds like a lot of other people, you know what I mean, Where she begs to be light when she's not. You know, she has to like loosen up sometimes, you know what I mean. Where she teaches people about the place that they're in, you know, where she where, she has to be taken out of there sometimes, kind of like cos has to be taken out of there sometimes, you know what I mean. So it's they they pull each other out of where they are and they bring each other to where they have.
Speaker 7: To be.
Speaker 3: Very much and yang, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I remember somebody asking me, you know, what do you have in common with your wife? I was like, well, I don't have that much in common with my wife, to be honest with you. We do love each other passionately and stuff like that. That's the one thing we do have in common. But we're not necessarily the same people. And I think that's very much the same with Chris, Turk and Carla. I think that the two of them, they might be both from the Inner I don't even know that Turk is from the Inner City.
Speaker 3: I know Carl is from the Inner City.
Speaker 1: But Turk, in this episode, we discovered that he was always the black dude in this situation, you know what I mean. Even in the Science Fair where they give him the Blue ribbon even though he didn't compete in the science fair, and also at college, because they weren't a lot of black kids at the college, they put him in the brochure twice. But anyway, my point is their personalities aren't necessarily the same, but they complement each other so well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is like you and Casey. I mean, it's funny you say that because you guys are so perfect together, but yeah, Ying Yang is the perfect.
Speaker 3: We're completely different.
Speaker 2: I think that's so different.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that's what worked about Carla and Turk.
Speaker 1: Carla is so serious and Turk's such a fucking goofball, but you put him together and you get like the perfect couple.
Speaker 2: I want to just touch on the scene with Johnny c brates me at eighteen eighteen in the conference room. I thought Johnny's performance there was really really good and it's a really powerful scene. It was an early moment in Scrubs where he's just laying all out there. There's no score that's sort of forcing your your emotions. It was just like him just laying in to me. I thought he was really good there.
Speaker 4: I thought it was great in it, and I you know, I watched it twice, the episode, and I remember when I first what I do remember about the episode and having seen when I saw it initially, it was like he's just so hard on him. We know, but I'm a parent now and my husband, who's like coaches sucker is hard like that, and he's hard like that on my daughter, and I get it, do you know what I mean? It was like shit, I get it. You know. It's like a person who wants approval can be so satisfied with being liked and everybody being okay with you know, thinking that you're good or being approved by everyone around you, instead of knowing that the job that they're doing is a good job, or you knowing that what you did was well done, instead of people liking you or liking what you did, you know, And that's a really hard place to be when you have to look at yourself, you know what I'm saying. And watching it was like shit, that was so good, which Johnny C is Like, no one's harder on Johnny C than Johnny Z. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really brought it. I mean, I just I thought, you know, it's a pretty big speech he had and he just I don't know. I got goosebumps when I was watching it.
Speaker 4: But he's relentless like that.
Speaker 2: There's a funny moment in nineteen forty nine when Elliott offers to give your friend valume. I'm like, a doctor's allowed to do that? Like, your friend is upset because her son got stabbed, and don't worry, We're going to set you up with a volume in an IV drip. I was like, what that's a thing.
Speaker 1: That I mean, it's if it's not, it should be because I would need it if my kid got stabbed.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you that right now.
Speaker 2: I just didn't know. I didn't know if you're I just didn't know if doctors are allowed to like just start throwing around valume for people that are upset, well with the stuff.
Speaker 4: That's out now, that's like nothing. So I'll give you two xanax and an opiate. Really fine.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'm worried. I'm worried about you. I'm gonna set you up in a room with a valume and a drip. I was like, really, go Elliott in an inner.
Speaker 4: City hospital with people like pouring out the doors. But you know you got to work for you.
Speaker 3: That's what's messed up.
Speaker 1: It's an inner city hospital that's so heavily that so heavily relies on insurance.
Speaker 4: It was twenty years ago, Fazon.
Speaker 1: I just saying, this ship is still prevalent, and this is still real today though I'm just keeping it one hundred.
Speaker 2: At nineteen fifty eight. It maybe the very first occurrence of the sad Scrubs queue. That's the first time I heard it.
Speaker 4: Okay, but those are your weekscues.
Speaker 1: Who don't know this Scrubs cue will go on for a really long time until finally we started making fun of it so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that JD starts commenting on the side SCA.
Speaker 3: Right, and it gets taken out of the show because of that.
Speaker 2: I think what happened was the season does it get taken out?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think the composer. The composer made it like a handful of cues, and then these guys just use the same cues over and over again. There's not that many, you know, when we don't use music, there's not that many scrubs cues. It's like bounce bow that was that would be like a sting when something funny happened just go.
Speaker 1: Bound after something Robert said to get everything, Match said Benine, Benine and a half.
Speaker 2: Down, that's the janitor, but nine but nine and a half.
Speaker 3: Donald, I thought that was.
Speaker 2: That's the episode where I have to look at the janitors. I catch a look at the janitor's penis and I and I noticed that there's a mole on it and I and then I have to inspect it and I go, it's Benign and he goes, Benign be nine and a half.
Speaker 3: I thought that was the time that said that this whole time. That's hilarious.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I don't remember this show I was on, and I don't remember much about it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the show, guys, that's the episode pretty much. Yeah, Judy, will you will you come do this more? Because I think we really like having you on. I hope I can speak for my co host Donald Thaks.
Speaker 1: I would love it if you came back anytime you want to, and we will make that happen.
Speaker 2: And Judy, since you are one of my favorite guests to ever be on our little podcast, and also because you have a beautiful voice, I thought you could be the first one to ever count us in to our our theme song that ends the show. Donald prefers to go five six seven eight. I I don't know how you feel you can count in any way.
Speaker 4: You so choose is five six seven eight?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, Donald, however you want to do it, it's all right with it.
Speaker 4: This is like five six seven eight.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: That'll work, that could work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but let's do it for real now. Okay, here we go.
Speaker 3: That was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I want to just yeah, Judy Rayes, we love you, thank you for coming on the podcast. Count us into our theme.
Speaker 4: Song five six seven stories.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: We made about a bunch of talks and nurses, and.
Speaker 1: He said, here's the stories nels. So yeada ra here, yeada here