Speaker 1: That I've never thought of myself as a legend, but it's going to be Dal Arnhut Junior j Teleeger Dale barn Hunt.
Speaker 2: Junior wins the forty sixth that turn of five hundred.
Speaker 1: I wanted him to be proud and happy. That was way more than important than a trophy. He was going to build one of the best race teams that this sport would ever see. Imagine getting getting a belt from Dale Earnhardt in some of the toughest moments, You're just like, I want to disappear. If that never happened, I'd probably race way on into my late forties. Twenty fifteen heads, Well, how did this happen between you two? You know every team needs that sort of clown, right, that class clown.
Speaker 2: Have you ever gotten that like mental to where you're like, I'm gonna wreck this car?
Speaker 1: That was one and this is what I don't tell.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of Busting with the Boys. I am your host, Will Compton. You're the co host. Taylor Lawan my co host. I apologize he is a training camp. We have a special this this pod is, in my opinion, on the mount busmore. We have Dale Earnhardt Junior flew to Nashville on a private jet crazy flex DAYA flew in, landed at about three pm, drove over god here about four wrecked a pod with us for about two How long? How long is the pod blast? Over? Two hours? And let me tell you some guys, You guys are gonna want to pull up a lawn chair because essentially what we're doing in this episode, if we're sitting around a bonfire or a little campfire and Dale Junior is just telling a story after story after story. If you're not big in the NASCAR culture of the NASCAR community, this is going to be an incredible episode. If you're big in NASCAR culture and you know everything there is to know about Dale Earnhard Junior, there are questions and stories in here that I believe you have not heard. Our boy, Zach Patten, General Patten, he was in the back, has listened to everything known to man about Dale Earnhart Junr. And had a couple very detailed, insightful questions that of course Dale dove in on. But this pod, Dude, when we got the bus and we knew was a Dale, we knew was Dale Earnheart eight bus. Clearly you want the Joe Rogans of the world on. But Dale Earnhard Junr. Was on that short list on getting him on the bus, and I can't believe we got him here. I can't believe he flew in. We talk about our friendship because that's what we all were friends. Everyone learns about it. But also before we get into the episode, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Mister Chevy himself, we are brought to you by the Chevy Silverado, the strongest, most advanced Silverado ever. The Silverado is strong, advanced, dependable, hardworking. That Silverado is dependable like the people who drive him, Dale ear and Hard Junior and you. The design is big, bowl, commanding, with grit determination, anything is possible. And the Silverado is a partner in that tailgating, hauling, towing, off roading, moving day, helping out your friend or family member, road trips, flying in on a private jet and picking up a rental that is a Chevy Silverado. Like Daleernard Junior did it, can do it all, bro Go to a Chevy dealership near you, let him know the boy sent you. As you've seen in the past, a couple you know, one person we know in particular, got a free trailer hitch from his local dealership, but go to a Chevy dealership near you. Let him know the boy sent you video do all this stuff. He keeps sending us the tweets, keep sending us to the photos. It's been amazing. The strongest most advanced Silverado ever. Also, before we dive into this episode, we have some merchandise that we've released. This hat that I'm wearing that you guys see Smashville, those smash hats that are out there in Nashville representing the hockey team. We got a maiden are the boys version of it. Our Hawaiian shirts are the Boys Live Dudes Neon sign themed. We also have the USA themed red, white and blue America Busting and for the boys. You could go get them at the Barsol Merch Store. That's Barsool, Sports dot Com, slash merch anything else, blast any other house cleaning, housekeeping, Yeah, feeding Nashville. The concert happened by the time you listen to this concert happened yesterday. Yesterday. I'm sure it went miraculous, unbelievable. We're gonna have more under the hoods dropping from behind the scenes footage with Tyler Hubbard from Florida, Georgia line and then also the concert itself. Speaking of Feeding Nashville, we also have a shirt at the Barstool merch Store that it's like our if you're not for the Boys, you're against them. Those bad shirts that we have, they are we redid them and did. If you're not for the city, then you're against it. So every dollar that is raised, all the net proceeds are gonna go to Feeding Nashville. So if you want to buy a shirt, be charitable, go buy the If you're not for the city, you're against it. Obviously, you don't even have to be from Nashville if you want to buy it, rep your own city. But all proceeds are going to net proceeds are going to Feeding Nashville. So let's dive into this episode. Uh, it's an absolute banger. You're welcome for it. Go follow Subscriberry five stars, leave comments for the boys. Was wait cheers, cheers, cheers, cheers boys, cheers boys. Hey, I think it's like one of those situations like, uh, you know how you said you wish you would have went and saw Willie Nelson, Like that's one regret you Yeah, yeah, he's like, I'm not going to miss the opportunity to crack over and be with Dailer and Hard Junior, no question, and I have a little drink.
Speaker 1: Yeah. First question, how does it feel to be a legend? Dale? How did it feel? Yeah that I've never thought of myself as a legend. I I was the son of a legend.
Speaker 2: Now I do know that.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: Uh, it was kind of amazing to grow up in that house and and see all the things that he was doing and all the people that pulled for him and cheered for him, and going to races and going to Victor Lane, and being this kid that just had all access. You know, you could just go through any gate, through any part of the track you wanted to go to. And I ran around those tracks like they were a playground. And let's go watch the cars racing one and two for a while. Let's go down to turn three and four and watch them. Let's go into the garage here and look at the car that just wrecked. Yeah, and you could just do it all. Go up in the suite, let's eat the food, you know, and then when Dad wins, we go to Victor Lane.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it was pretty awesome and I just always wanted to. I wanted to race, but I didn't know how. I didn't know, like there's no like college level, there's no high school racing, you know. And so I'm like, well, how the hell do I race? Like I'm thirteen, fourteen years old, I don't know how to start.
Speaker 2: What do I do?
Speaker 1: And one day me and my brother I was probably fourteen or fifteen, fifteen years old. Me and my brother Carry, he's older than me, We're hanging out around this picnic table in my dad's shop. He had a picnic table and where all the gossip went on. And he threw down this newspaper and it was a Charlotte Observer sports page and they had this picture of this guy with this street stock car. And my dad said, you always to read this article. And it was about a news series they were starting at a track and called Concord Motor Speedway. It was about thirty minutes up the road. All we had to do was go get a streets a car out of the junk yard and put a roll cage in it and we could race. And so I mean, yeah, well that's the roge. It's I mean, all these years I'm thinking like I couldn't crack the code. It was this complicated, impossible thing. And Dad just said, Dar's answer, do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, why do you think it was like cracking the code? If you like you said at the son of a legend, And I like, obviously, what do you can say whatever you want about yourself. You're obviously a very humble guy what you've done for the sport. Also thought Earnhardt family is and that's very cool, and you're a very humble guy.
Speaker 2: But like, what did it?
Speaker 3: Why did it seem so difficult for you to get in it? Knowing that your dad was who he was. You were one of those kids that was like I can get in there because I'm you know.
Speaker 2: My jad, or like why isn't he showing me where some of these races are?
Speaker 1: He ob something sounds just put the paper down. He's like, yeah, let's just do that. Then Dad, Dad would always say I know, he would just say like, I wouldn't talking. I wouldn't always like in his uh, I wouldn't always going hey what do I do? How?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I was just I wouldn't. I wouldn't with it. Yeah, you know, I was just going to school and trying to get seas and going home and doing whatever my friends are doing. And I loved racing, but I didn't maybe show it as much as he wanted me to. And he would always say, you need to show some initiative, and he used initial you do of all like that was the word. You need to be determined to show some initiative, showing no initiative and uh like, what.
Speaker 2: Does that mean?
Speaker 1: When? What about? How do I show you initiative?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: What does that even mean to you? And he's like, uh if when I was your age, I was I was in a shop, sweping the floor. I was cleaning tools up, putting them back in the tool box. Classic.
Speaker 3: Then I'm like, sucks, that sounds sucky, don't sound fun? How that's a long ways from driving? Driving's up here sweeping the floors like way down question? And I got to go all the way through that product, like what all the things that have to happen before I finally get to drive?
Speaker 1: You know, it just seemed like it was so far away, and he was less than uh impressed, you know with my initiative and my uh my passion for it. Right, I wasn't outwardly expressing that to him, and he didn't I think that I really was even into it. And he's like, I'm not wasting my time unless you start showing me that you're into it. And he made it sound like, well, you got to do all this other stuff before you ever get to drive. And I'm like, wow, I go, I'm never gonna get it, never gonna get there. Just he just made it seem like it was a hard it was impossible thing.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a mister Migi type of thing, final complaining you show me wax sound.
Speaker 2: It seems like one of those like classic tough nosed dads that were kind of like hard to please, Like there was always that tough love with the with the son and the dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was, uh, he was pretty tough and that he you know, his nickname at the racetrack was the Intimidator and he was absolutely terrifying you know, at home. And I mean, I remember h I said, I dropped. I said, either I said the word ship or I dropped an F bomb at my buddy's house. I thought it was just me and him and I'm playing. I'm playing on this. He had this wicked little video game machine like before Nintendo, and uh, I was playing this little football game on it, and something happened. I said, I said shit or if bomb or something. And his dad happened to be walking in the front door and he looked at me and he goes, you need to get home, and I was like, yes, sir, And so I went home. And a couple hours later, Dad comes pulling in and uh this this uh my buddy up the road that his dad and my dad were great friends too. Well, he had told dad what all went down. Dad comes walking in the bedroom already pulling the belt off, not even and I'm looking at the door and he's getting He's had the way, the room out, the rooms laid out, He's kind of got there's a point to where where on his way to me, I can get to the door, and which is only going to make it so much worse.
Speaker 2: I got.
Speaker 1: I got to the door and out the front, out down the hall and out the front door, across the front yard, across the street and out into this hay field and and over this erosion ditch and dove in the ditch and just laid there for like six hours. I picked over, I picked I picked over that ditch and I'm like, he's he come out the front door and he's looking around. He goes back inside, and I'm like, man, I ain't getting no whooping today, yeah, not having tomorrow? Not today? And uh because I mean, you know, he was that kind of dad. You know that belt he didn't. I got a few whoopings, not many, but when that belt come off and he was on, he was so upset.
Speaker 2: What happened when you got back home?
Speaker 1: Nothing no whooping? Like yeah, and I don't I think. I don't think I ever got one after that, you know, but you know there was I remember the whoops yeah right, There weren't many, but the ones I got, I remember them, and I know exactly what I did wrong. I'll never forget that stuff, right, And uh, imagine getting getting a belt from Dale Earnhardt.
Speaker 3: That's that's awesome. So when you went back in the house, what was his He's like, Hey, how's going have some supper? Let's sit down, or what's the deal?
Speaker 2: He he was, he was.
Speaker 1: We had a conversation about the word I used and and how do I how how I need to behave and and that I better not make that mistake again.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, Yes, any kids listening, all you run out the front door laying your old man cool off, and it's gonna be I got a story like that, but it's stilling it up at the end. Yeah, like hours after and he was waiting for me, like all right, well we're gonna do this. You gotta.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know why, but I hold hold some guilt for making that escape.
Speaker 2: But I had. I just had to do it.
Speaker 1: Why do you think you hold guilt from it? I don't know why. I feel like I didn't get what I deserved kind of thing. I don't know what, like I skipped out on a on a on a deserved punishment, you know, and I never And I think that's why I remember that story is because I feel like, you know, but you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 3: I didn't want it, Yeah, I didn't want it, no question. It seems like you got exactly like you learned a huge lesson.
Speaker 1: That out right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It didn't take any comments for you to get in your head to that that specific story.
Speaker 2: Did Joe Rogan pod This is probably like a couple of years ago. Yeah, I remember you're talking about like a buck a shit story. There's like a bucket of something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, yeah, I was so talking to you know when I'm talking when I'm talking about not showing my dad initiative, so you know, to be clear, like around nineteen eighty, around nineteen ninety seven, ninety eight, I I think that I started to do the things that he hoped I would do in terms of making him proud. Right, every parent, every parent wants their kid to rise to the occasion, excel in whatever it is they love, right, And I wasn't doing none of that. And I was a c stude. I hate cutting up.
Speaker 3: But what were you doing at the time, Like, if you were so into racing, will you just kind of hang out with your buddies and doing whatever?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Me and my buddies walked around the neighborhoods shooting birds would be begun and being it's right, And uh, I played video games and didn't want you know, I did want to go hang out with him. I did want to go to the shop. But when I went to the shop, I hung out with my buddy down the street and we got in trouble. Right, we went to the dairy queen or running. We didn't I didn't mess with cars I wouldn't sweeping the floor cleaning the tools.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And so now if he wanted me to go to the race, I love that. But when I got there, I'd take off and go hang out my buddy. And when I was gonna go eat some junk food or cheeseburger or you know, and he'd never see me. I was having fun, you know. And he wanted me to be interested in the cars, be interested in learning how to work on them, get get, seize any opportunity I took I could to work on him to learn about them. And I was just not doing that. And uh, I was just a decent student in school, really not even decent.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 1: I wasn't an athlete. I was. I had no achievement none, you know, year on year on year on of just not getting anywhere. And I used to draw a lot, and I used to draw race cars a lot. And I think that he and my stepmom Teresa, thought that, man, maybe he's into being an artist or something. So they so this is kind of they. I came home from school one day and I walked into my bedroom and there was a bunch of art stuff, like papers and pens and all the things. Right, if you were going to go to college, right, they had all the stuff, they bought it, and I'm like, what is this? And they're like, well, we thought you might want to. We think we would encourage you to go to uh this art school. It's a local school, and we think you really enjoy it. You know, we don't know what you're thinking about when you graduate from high school, where you're gonna go what you want to do, but maybe maybe this is it. I'm like, hell, no, I don't want to be an artist. What gave you all that opinion?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: I want to race? Man? Like, where is what the hell?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And uh, anyways, finally, finally, you know, I started to do well and actually, you know, starting to get some races where I ran pretty good. And then Dad came around, you know, and he me and him started having conversations where he was less preachy. Uh, he was less disappointed that, yeah, and it was more like, so what happened in the corner down there and you spun out? Did you realize what you needed to do there? You know, kind of those things where we're starting to tutor and talk and I'm learning and that's very cool. That must have been a really cool, like like for you to see that development.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: I went down to Myrtle Beach and I was racing, and I would I would the same guy for like three weeks in a row. I would get underneath him, and the guy didn't care if he was if he had a car underneath him. He was still coming down to go into the corner to the bottom, and he cuts you off over and over and over. And that was the way race. We didn't even get mad. Hold the rest of the people that race there were like, that's the way ed races. Just be ready. If you're gonna pass him, you better be up to his door beside when you get in the corner or he's coming down. And so every time I would get underneath him, he'd come down and I'd spin out, and I'm like, I don't know what to do. I cannot pass this guy. And I keep spinning out, and my Dad's like, all right, he's not going to my races. And Dad didn't go to my races, but I would tell him about it, and he's like, next time he comes down, as soon as y'all are about to have contact, slam on the brakes and it plants the nose of your car and keep the wheel straight. Don't turn the wheel and it'll spin him out.
Speaker 2: And damn it.
Speaker 1: I mean literally, I'm in the same situation the next weekend, and I did that thing and it worked the way Dad said it would work. And so, I mean, from that moment on, we started having, you know, the conversations I wanted to have, you know, with him my whole life, instead of just hearing about how much trouble I was in, or how I pissed him off about this or that and the other, how I needed to do this better or be excited.
Speaker 3: Were you to tell about that situation once he did it pretty excited? Ye man, Yeah, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 1: It was good I had. There was a lot of little moments like that in early in my career when when I wasn't just his son, you know, because when I when Dad, when I when I was around my dad, it was at the shop or at the farm, all that's kind of the same place. And he always had his guys around, his buddies, the employees or whatever, and they were always, you know, five o'clock, everybody met at the picnic table and they drank beer and then they're going to go right around the farm and look at deer and just talk and bs. And I was just always the son, right, I was just always tagging along, and I wasn't in the conversations and I wasn't They weren't asking me any questions what I thought about this or what I thought about that. I was just there keeping mouth shut. I'm talking to about unless somebody talks to you kind of thing. But then it changed when I started racing better.
Speaker 3: We did you understand that naturally or we were told that at one point that you were like, hey, you're not don't really talk unless it's just.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: It's kind of it can be like that sometimes, like it's a look your parents or your dad gives you, you know, you know not to just say, you know, you didn't get to you didn't get too full of yourself. Yeah right, yo.
Speaker 2: I hope you guys are enjoying the episode. As you're watching this episode, don't forget to like in comment, don't forget to do real comments in the YouTube boys and leave realist reviews, but shout out Georgia Boot, the world's most comfortable boot. Are we able to? Are we able to go? Get those boots out there, JP or or Blash. Are you guys able to go? We can just do it right now. I'll just start dabbling. I'll just start saying the ad reading by the time it comes back, and I'll open this door for you. But shout out Georgia Bot, the world's most comfortable boot. Georgia Boot is America's hardest working boot, and for over eighty years, George has been making boots that work as hard as you do, tough enough for your job, cool enough for everything else. And speaking of cool, I'm about to show you these boots. Georgia Boot made for us. But Georgia Boot makes super good looking and super comfortable boots so comfortable you never want to take them off. Oh thank you, Blassy boom. Right here, these bad boys. I dropped a little photo the other day on Instagram, and everybody say, Yo, how do I buy these? I have no clue. I just knew that Georgia Boot wanted to make the hardest working boot for the hardest working podcast. I like looking good, and even when I'm working, these boots do just that. They look good and work hard. These boots will hold up into any condition without sacrificing comfort. Great looking boots that are widely comfortable at a price you can afford. Whether you're working on your feet all day, working around the house, grilling out with your friends, or your family, these boots won't sacrifice again comfort or style. Georgia Boot Off was the best work boots, wedges and loggers around. Whether you need a waterproof boot, steel toe, soft toe, square toe, met guard, non puncture shank, non slip soul, They've got it all. Dude, look at this beautiful thing. Busting with the boys barstool Georgia boot. It just all makes sense. Head over to georgiaboot dot com and use code busting for twenty percent off. Y do you feel like you feel like like winning, Like in your mind, like you're thinking, all right, like I know I can be a good racer, Like and once I win, I'll start getting like, you know, maybe the old man will start noticing and we'll start having that relation. Was that something that was kind of like a motivator to earn that or like like finally now I'm gonna get a relationship with my old man because I'm winning that.
Speaker 1: I started well, I started seeing the racing creating that relationship, and so I wanted to do whatever I could do to get more of that relationship from him, right, And so I started, you know we you know, winning and all those things were not to be so cliche, but I wanted him to be proud and happy. That was way more than important than a trophy or or anyone else patting my back, right, And so he was absolutely the main motivation for me early in my career. You know, when he passed, that was gone. I mean it was gone, and I had to figure out another thing to motivate me, right, I had to find other things that got me out of bed and got me fired up about racing. But for the longest time, it was trying to impress him. Man. I mean, this guy has done everything. He's won all these championships, and he's hard to impress. Yeah, and you're doing the very thing that he's the best at. You can't do, really, what can you do that he's never seen or thinks it's cool?
Speaker 2: Right, But everybody thinks like, oh, your down's sign, Like you don't thinks he's awesome. And see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's a there's a big feeling of like did you feel like you were in his shadow your whole life.
Speaker 1: Mhm, No, I didn't. I I always read about that. I always seen that written, you know, and uh, I always I felt I felt like other people saw me in his shadow. But if I was, it was a hell of a place to be. Yeah, it was. Yeah, No, lie, like I understand, and I'm I'm first admit like being his son opened tons of doors wide open and made a lot of challenges for for an average guy trying to get in a sport much easier for me, and already I had like a built in fan base before I ever accomplished anything on the track with my last name. People, they were expectations, but they also would support uh that that I hadn't earned at that point. Yeah, so the benefits, yeah, were way better than what negatives came with it. Yeah, absolutely, I sid know.
Speaker 3: I mean when you go into i've never this has never been a situation for me, right, My dad didn't play football or anything like that, so I never had to like felt the need to overcome or impress him that way. My dad played college ball for a second. But I mean when you spend your whole life kind of feeling out like how can I get dad to notice how good I'm doing it.
Speaker 1: These things.
Speaker 3: I didn't know if once you got into NASCAR, if it was like, I don't know this, this thought of like I want to make did you ever want to up him?
Speaker 1: Did you ever want to beat him?
Speaker 3: And that's that shadow is a tough word to use because it sounds like, I don't know if it sounds negative, but I'm saying like, once you're in that thing with him, there there was no like that's dad, Dad's gotta went like you wanted to beat your dad.
Speaker 1: We went to Japan. I had raced in the the Exfinity Series, which is kind of like college level or it's it's like Triple A and the next Steps to Cup series, where Dad's at. I won the championship, and so I got an invitation to race in an exhibition in Japan with Cup racers and Dad, and it would be the first time I'd ever be on the track with him. And when I got to Japan, we flew all the way over there and I'm sitting on Pitt Road and I'm waiting on Dad because I want to follow him out on the track because I'd never seen him. From that vantage point, it was like following. I mean, I don't I don't like to compare him to other other icons because I don't know how people feel about it. But it's like walking behind Muhammad Ali as he goes to the ring right climbs in. You know, that's a hell of advantage point that a lot of people would love to have being in a in the ring when Rick Flair climbed into it, right, being able to see that moment when he climbs in with that robe on at you know, at a big event across some dusty roads, right, I mean, just that moment of that energy. So I know it was just practice, but I'm I'm never seen the Black three car. I've never seen the Intimiday or Dylan her I've never looked at my windshield and seen it right raced against all these other guys. And so I remember that he pulls out on the track and I followed him out there, and I mean, I'm doing nothing. I'm like, not in game mode. I'm not in focus of what my car is doing. I'm just like, I can't believe that it's him.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of smiling.
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe he was in there steering that car. I couldn't believe it. And then two days later, like we practiced qualify. Two days later, in the race, we're running, We're bad indoors and I'm pissing him off and he's mad. So a little extra froom too when he got to him. So this is how it kind of worked out. We I ran really good and he he ran like sixth to eighth the whole day. It's an exhibition, and he's just kind of going through the motions. He didn't have a great car and he knew it, and he's just kind of like, Hey, we're here to put on a show, and it is what it is, right. I'm like, hell no, man, I'm here to win. Willed this car to victory, right, and this is my chance, and so I'm raising my guts out way over my head. But I got up toward the front and got up the second at one point and I bounced off the wall being too crazy. And anyways, late in the race, we're both running around fifth and sixth and we had a caution and I had a chance. Everybody has a chance to come on. Put a set of tires and it's a little bit faster with new tires, and I said to my crea chief, Tony Junior, my cousin. He's my cousin too, about a year apart, really close, and uh I said, hey, man, I wanna cous come get tires and see what happens. We ain't gonna we're gonna win like this. Let's put some tires on and see what happens. So he's like, all right, we ain't got no tires, but your dad's got to sit in his pit. I'll see if I can get them. So our pits are side by side, Yeah, side by side. It wouldn't be an issue if he gave it to you or not. Our pits are together, right. We have teammates, right, we got the same sponsor. It's this coke we had this Coca cola reduction thing. We went to the we did the photo shoots together. We're like this team, right, And so Tony Junior's on the pit box and he's like, hey to Richard Childers, whose dad's carling, And he's like, y'all gonna have pit and get them tires. Richard's like, we ain't coming. Then, ain't coming. He's just gonna finish this out. Yeah, Well we're gonna pit. You might if we have those tires, take them, no problem. Okay, here we come, try on down pit road, put them on. Dad don't know what all this is going on, and I don't even know where the tires come from. I just come down pit road and get tires.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: I go back on the track and I lined up like tenth and there's a real short five lap sprint to the end, and it's you gotta go. It's you can't lift, you can't take, you can't check up for something. Uh, you gotta go? What does check up?
Speaker 3: Men?
Speaker 2: You can't lift.
Speaker 1: If it's something happening in front of you, and you check up off the gas or lift off the throttle, you it'll take you another lap to build up your momentum. And it's a lap that's gone. And if with five of that, with five laps to go, you just don't have time to be waiting on things to happen in front of you. You just try to make gup. Just go for it, right. So the so the green flag drops and I gotta I got things happening. I'm passing a couple of cars and I get to Dad really quickly. I get up beside him, down the back straight away and we go into turn three and four and I'm going by him. I have the faster car, the new tires. He saw me coming, he knows I'm quicker. And we're coming up off a turn four and he's he's hanging on my right rear qorder panel as we're coming off the corner. And traditionally, in a situation like that, you want the guy. You want the guy that's in Dad's position to just let you go. You're faster, you're coming through. But if he stays there, I can't really finish the corner. I can't get all the gas down. It's gonna slow me down. On the straightaway, we're gonna run down the next straightaway side beside when I could be trying to pass the next car. It was gonna hold me up.
Speaker 3: And and so I.
Speaker 1: Squeezed him into the wall and and we hit, and his nose slid up under my bumper, and now he has me in a bad position and he knows it. And so he's picked my rear tires off the ground and he's steering my car like a forklift down the straightaway. He could have just let you go. He should have let me go. Should have or could have. He could have, but he but he didn't. He's like he's like, he's like, I'm like, dude, you only You're like you only got an inch on me, and you could just let me go and I could be on my way. And we bang and then he's got me lifted up off the ground and he's turned me sideways down the straight ofa way. My car's doing this to the flagstand and he lifted and let me go. He was mad, right, and so but I thought it was over.
Speaker 2: I go on.
Speaker 1: I passed another car to and finished like fifth or something, and uh, he's eight these a couple of spots back. So the race is over. And I'm like, that was badass. And I beat my dad, you know what I mean? And he knows I beam.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: This ship just happened, right, And so it was really cold. But I remember they had, uh it was in the middle of the winter. They had they had inside the track these little rented cubicles like trailers like you see on job sites, and each driver our team had one and me and Dad were sharing one. I go into the one that we have. It's cold as hell outside. I go in there and I'm gonna change clothes. And I sit down and I'm changing clothes and there's this big fold folding leg table in front of me, and I'm sitting there and I'm pulling off my shoes and my taking my taking my uniform down. And Dad comes in and sits down, and I just look at him, and he isn't making eye contact with me, and I know he's not. He's bad. I look at him and he's bending over and pulling his shoe off, and I go and so as soon as I look down, he threw his shoe as hard as he could and it went right over my head as I lean been down to get get one of my shoes off. If I hadn't a bent down, it'll hit me. It hit the ball behind me. It was like pow. And I looked back up and he was bending down to get the other shoe, and somebody opens the door and says, hey, Junior, they need it, they need you out here for an interview. And I'm like thanks, I'm going.
Speaker 2: He's the front door. Back from childhood. I'm looking.
Speaker 3: We we never talked about it, and you about it really never talked sounds like your father really didn't say a whole lot intimidator.
Speaker 1: This like was like a cave man. Yes, sir, absolutely need a by light.
Speaker 2: We interrupt this episode for another average from our boys at Roman Get Roman. Most guys have different ways to last longer, but thinking about baseball or your grandma or your grandpa, it doesn't always work. The folks at Roman, on online men's health company, are changing the game with Roman Swipes. The secret to longer or the secret to longer lasting sex saying the pledge of allegiance in your head or counting backwards from ten. No need to do that anymore. Now we have swipes to make us last longer. Roman Swipes are a clinically proven away to last longer in bed. They're effective, easy to use, and fast acting, but don't require any prescription. Roman can ship swipes to you in discrete, unmarked packaging, and each swipes packet is small enough to wait, how do I say, ELM mark packaging, and each swipes it's small enough to hide in your wallet for whatever, for whenever you need it. And this is true when Roman was sponsoring the boys, they obviously shipped us some product. They did so my in laws were in town. They didn't even notice it on the table because it's in some nice black packaging where you don't even know who it's from. Go to get Roman dot com slash busting to get your first month of swipes for just five dollars when you choose a monthly plan. That's get Roman dot com slash Busting. Back to the episode, but hey, remember do comments? Do comments in the YouTube?
Speaker 1: We had run ins after that on the racetrack. We were at Bristol one day. Uh, it's my first Cup race at Bristol in two thousand. Bristol is a high bank concrete, a half mile track and you run there about fifteen sixteen second laps, silly fast, and it's wild to race. And so I just knew. I'm like, I'm gonna tear up a bunch of stuff today. This is just gonna happen. There's no bunch stuff on you.
Speaker 2: You're in a mess.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna right my car. This is a five hundred mile race and this time bull ring, and I'm young and dumb. Yeah, I'm gonna make a bunch of mistakes. Take We're just Bobby out there. I just want to go fast, get after it. Just how much do you hit do you love that movie or hate it? Sorry, I like it.
Speaker 2: You like it?
Speaker 1: I got a story about that, all right, stories for days.
Speaker 3: Baby, You're the best you ever. It's like I'm sitting here, I'm really just enjoying your company. I wish there was a fire.
Speaker 2: Pit right here. We're like smiling as it's going.
Speaker 1: I guess it's over. Yeah, one hundred percent. Sometimes you get guys on here.
Speaker 2: Look at each other and talking.
Speaker 1: Hopefully the guy comes into it like three word answers. Yeah, you're like, all right, well this is going downhill fast, but no, sorry, I keep going. I don't want to kill your loving every second of this. We're Bristol and I qualified in front of Dad, and uh beside me is a friend named Elliott Sadler and he's on the inside and I'm on the outside and Dad's behind us. Well, me and Elliot are talking just about getting our cars. Dad walks up and goes, all right, boys, bristles stuff long race tds now, don't taste stuff. You can wreck your stuff early long day. Like yes, sir, I mean I still think in my head I hear you, but I am totally gonna ruin this. You knew you were conscious of the chaos, I was about to go down, and so all right, first lap, we're going down into turn green flag comes out. We're running about three or four corners and we go into turn one and Dad runs in the back of Elliott Saler. Elliott Saler gets loose and like sideways over corrects up the racetrack right into me. Wow, me and Elli goes smashing into the wall. Race is over for me and that's his fault, right, So so you got the boot when he's coming back in to come down, Well, they drag me and Elliott's cars into the garage and my team goes to work on my car. We end up fixing it, and we fix it and repair it and we go back out and we're like one hundred laps down, like all these laps have passed right as we're working on our stuff. First time Dad comes by I turn. He comes by me, and I just turned the wheel to the right and just lay like lay my right front tire all down the side of his car.
Speaker 3: He's going by and he sent a message watching this, spatting family members getting.
Speaker 1: After he sends this message, like tell him to cut it out. He's going to find another driver, but he sent his he sent a message via his team to my team to tell me to stop it, to get a telephone. Yeah, they can tell you whatever they want. And so, but we had we had other moments kind of like that. But I mean, you know when the funny thing about it being in a race car is that, you know, the the race car turns into for lack of a better word, a bit of a weapon. Sometimes you get so angry and you're like, I can take this car and run into your car. That's sounds I'm gonna do that. You know, before you you have such a thought to you know, before you have a moment to think twice about it and calm the hell down. Sometimes you do that on the race track, and even if it's your own dad, you know, like you did this to me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hunter laughs, down doesn't doesn't where was seeing the race when he's like running top ten, cruising hawks.
Speaker 1: He's out there cruising like, hey man, sorry, but I've already forgot.
Speaker 2: Yeah what happened? That's aside from your dad. Have you ever gotten that like mental to where you're like, I'm gonna I'm gonna wreck this car. Another guy right, like a different guy a different person. Yes, it happened.
Speaker 1: I yeah, Kyle b Yeah the rivalry.
Speaker 2: Is this a known rivalry that you're talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Kyle and me were really big rivals at this particular point in my career, and he, uh, what point is this two thousand and eight and.
Speaker 3: You guys are you guys are big rivals? Is it a dislike rivalry or is it like, hey, we'll we're on the.
Speaker 1: Track all we don't like them. I don't like them. Zach was probably back there like you're an idiot, Taylor, like you have no idea. So he's he was, he was like we he was just we just didn't like each other. And so this was there an incident at the bar.
Speaker 2: Y Bobby.
Speaker 1: Trying to make you say something like that. You know what I'm saying. So first off, let me tell the Ricky Bobby store.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I love to hear it.
Speaker 1: All right, Ricky Bobby and tallading Ice comes out or it's coming out right, and we're gonna get to see it before it goes to theaters. And uh, we're in Sonoma racing in California and they're like, yeah, you're gonna go over to what's the name of that place George Lucas's Ranch Star Wars Skywalker runt. You're gonna go over to the ranch and watch it. And we're like, damn, I'm all right, so that's cool. What does that mean?
Speaker 3: So we drive in and it's beautiful, and it's just all the guys are going there, my team, Yeah, because you were were you in the movie?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: I had a little tiny thing, Yeah, a little for an autograph?
Speaker 2: Right? How was that?
Speaker 1: How many times five? Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It wasn't that mean professional? Yeah? I like that that or we just weren't gonna get any better. Yeah, we're getting progressively worse for these take Okay, let's just shut it down. So you know, we're driving into this place and and and they're like, yeah, he makes it. They they make movies here. There's a bunch of movies. So we're walking in the building and there's all these movie theaters, and there's all these little rooms of for editing, and and they they basically sit there and watch the They work on these films from the point of view of the of the movie goer, right, and so they're editing and creating these films in that atmosphere of a movie theater. And uh, which was really cool, was a big complex you you would would you might imagine they're sitting in front of a computer in an office right editing this film, but at some point they actually get into a movie theater and complete the editing process or whatever and do all the audio and all that. So anyways, it's really neat. And we sit down in this one theater and there's probably about thirty seats in it, and probably about ten rows of seats, and uh, maybe there's more more than thirty seats, but it just was a small, miniature sort of sized theater room. And we sit down and I choose a seat sort of in the middle. There's on the front, the front of the theater guy, you're back of the theater guy. Middle. Oh, if up, there's better, back, there's better. I'm just gonna be right in the center. And there's only about twelve of us. We're not we're only about ten percent of the seats in this thing, right, so a lot of empty seats and right and right, and we're sitting there waiting, you know, and right before the thing comes on, George Lucas comes and sits.
Speaker 2: Down behind me and all right on being chill Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was one shock to see him, right, and and had never thought I'd ever meet the guy. But what is he doing watching Telene Nights right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Why does he care to watch this movie?
Speaker 3: There's millions of movies can be like, yeah, but uh, and I'm watching I'm kind of sad and I'm like, and he's chuckling at that.
Speaker 1: That's pretty up. I think that's funny too. After this, we could talk about the movie and he's not even like listening to the movie.
Speaker 2: He's just listening.
Speaker 1: Damn. He thinks this is good. I think he's good too. I mean I like it, but now he likes it. It was weird, man, but it was uh and he uh, you know, after everything was done, you know, he was very nice to everybody. Hey, yes, thank you for coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always cool.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like that's an awesome, insane that is so bad.
Speaker 2: That you get to see like a like a Yoda like figure.
Speaker 1: None of that was happening.
Speaker 2: There was no just hasn't just with the Skywalker rant, you know what I mean, you don't know if like the actual Star Wars actual Star I'm talking about just to figure sitting there. It's not like, yeah, no, Yoda's not a real thing, a real being.
Speaker 1: I'm aware. I was trying to help you be aware of that. I don't know if you had a thing.
Speaker 2: No, I know how you are.
Speaker 3: But your Star Wars, yeah, I wish there was Star Wars. But I'm sharing the enthusiasm with both of.
Speaker 1: You, right, Yeah, I'm not a massive fan, but I know him. Yeah he is, well, I know, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Being a filmmaker's got to be one of the most difficult jobs to do because you're literally praying that people like it. And if it's like your hopes and dreams are on other people's opinions, God, that's got to be a tough li And when.
Speaker 2: You're like making a certain decision that you might think is cool for seeing, you might have just one opinion next to you, like say, say I'm making something I'll make I think it's dope, and I'm like, hey, what are you thinking that. You're like, yeah, but maybe this and your one opinions like, oh man, maybe maybe everyone feels that way. Yeah, And then you changed. You're like, well, I was gonna do this. Everybody's like, oh, you should have kept it that way.
Speaker 1: You're like, fuck, you are you quitting Tarantina fan? Yeah, yeah, well he just did it.
Speaker 3: Just said a pop with Rogan. They were talking about a specific true romance. Yeah, yeah, true not true romances of our dogs. Yeah, the torture scene in that have you seen that movie?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: And then the scene where he cuts the guy's ear off and stuff like that, and Quentin was like, this is happening, and a couple guys were like, hey, listen, if you put this scene in the movie, you put your margin for the people that are going to come watch it, because it was like after.
Speaker 2: Like the eighties or not like some decade like the eighties.
Speaker 1: It's always a superhero.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah that was a good is it?
Speaker 1: I have listened the whole thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Big fan Charles like, who is this talking?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: It's Quink Tarantino.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is my favorite director. Yeah by far. Sorry sorry, Yeah, it's a good movie. Yeah, good movie.
Speaker 2: He makes a lot of good What story were we headed to before the Kyle Busch Kyle the rivalry you were trying to kill him?
Speaker 1: Told story? This is told a lot. I tell this one a lot, but you oh you do you know? I want to know I learned that you got a new audience every time you're in front of the mic. So yeah, it's never the same.
Speaker 2: So have you ever told your side of the story about why you hate him, why you hated him? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So, I don't know, maybe we'll tell a little different this. Do we still hate him now?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, you don't hate him? No, he's great?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Oh well the story? Why did you guys go to dinner?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay? Is he ain't great? Well, he's fine. That's better.
Speaker 2: There you go. Now we're getting somewhere. And now we're getting somewhere. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyways, he's we're racing against each other. He racist for Rick Hendrick, and I raced for for Dad. And he was a rookie and he did something at a racetrack and and uh, I said to the media that Kyle made a mistake and he'll figure it out. And he took offense to that. He's a rookie.
Speaker 3: How how you've been in the game for eight years now, maybe not that long way, this is before that, okay, but I've been in doing it for six years maybe okay.
Speaker 1: And uh, but anyways, someone asked me a question. I just said, you know, he made a mistake and and he'll figure that out. What was what was the mistakes? Like he calls the crash or something or or a couple of guys ended up crashing because of something he did. I can't read. Yeah, I don't even remember. It's not a big deal. And we went to uh that set our that set us on that path, all right. He took offense to that, and we weren't We weren't friendly from that point on, but we didn't say anything about each other. He wasn't dig he wasn't digging me in the media or nothing.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: There was a race at Texas. His car crashed and there was a miscommunication between him and his team. He left the track and the car got repaired and they didn't have where's he at? They need to put him back in it to go finish a few laps. And they saw me in the garage and said, hey, are you get in this car? We got like eight laps to go. We just need you to go out there and run the rest of this race. And I'm like, absolutely, I'm diving in this thing head first because I wanted to feel what kind of engine they build. It's like, man, you never get a chance to drive another team's car to feel the things about what kind of car did he drive? He drove Rick Hendrick's car. And they build their own motors and we build our motors, and I just you know, they're very good. They win a lot, and I'm like, yeah, damn right, I'll drive it. And so I I drove it a few laps and when it was done, they were like, hey, man, appreciate doing this solid and we'll see you.
Speaker 2: And that was it.
Speaker 1: Nothing, There was nothing. I didn't. It wasn't. It wasn't in spite, it wasn't a spike Kyle. But he was mad again, Right, I drove his car. Right, It's like I took his took his girlfriend out, and you know, I mean.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: That's a reference. Yea day had a seafood dinner, never called her back. It was he he I'm an old school guy where relief driving is a cool thing and and it happened all the time in the seventies and I'm totally a throwback and nostalgic. And that's freaking yes. I've never been asked to relief drive for somebody, Right, I'll do it, and uh, and he wouldn't. He ain't from that school, and so he was like, nobody drives my car but meat, right, And so anyways, him and is, Him and Rick are having some difficulties on his contracts and whether he wants whether he's going to continue to drive there or not, and they decide that that's not happening. So they've made a choice, and now Rick's going out to find a driver and he offered me a deal and I took it, and so Kyle viewed that as me taking his job. And Kyle then was now cast into free agency and had to take whatever the best officer, so he didn't have a car yet.
Speaker 3: They decided not to do a contract, went to you got the contract, and he's in free agency and.
Speaker 1: He gets hired by Joe Gibbs. This works out tremendously for him in the short run and the long run, but he was upset at the time and was like feeling rejected by Rick Hendrick. Rick's this ultra freaking respected guy in the sport, and if you get rejected by him, there must be something wrong with you, right, And he read that. And so when we started racing the next year, and I'm in his car and he's in the Joe Gibbs car. It was me against him. That's the way he saw it, and that's the way I kind of saw it. We're racing at Richmond, We're running first and second in the points. The whole year pretty much, great storyline. He's winning quite a he's winning a hell of a lot of races too. Things are going well for him. I only won at Michigan. I had a great year, but I only won the one race. I'm leading at Richmond and it's like four or five laps to go and I'm running the top of the race track. I run the high side. Kyle's right behind me, and I'm gonna give him the bottom of the track. He's got more than enough room. And we go down into turn three and he gets loose and collects me. I reckon the wall. He goes up the track and he loses the lead. Another guy ends up winning the race. And in my mind, I'm like, I understand he got loose. It wasn't like he just went in there and turned right and hit me. Loose means like when he turned down in the corner, his rear tire started sliding like if he was in water or ice. It was not it was an accident, right. It was like he went in, he went in the corner hoping that his car was gonna stick and he was gonna pass me. Yeah, right, But his car didn't stick, and it's the back slid and he had to turn right to correct it, which drove him up the track into my door, and it turned me around when we hit. But it also cost him the race too.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: He's a good enough race car driver to know how to intentionally if he was trying to intentionally crash me, he's good enough to just go in there and move me out of the way and go on and win. So I know that it just, you know, I know, just watching him by how all that went down, that he didn't really intend for that to happen. But he was absolutely unapologetic, and of course, I mean, he wasn't gonna say, well, I'm sorry, that was wrong. I shouldn't have done that was bad for me, and and and and I don't ever want to He just let it. He didn't even say anything right and kind of played it up a little bit. And now I got it. I got the media coming to me, going game. He usually got wrecked by that guy. He's he's your archrival. He's your enemy. You and him.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The media is in love with this. Media loves it. Every week, right, They're going to him. Hey, Neil said this, what do you think? Well, help with him? Now, Hey, Kyle just said ten minutes to go to hell with you? What do you think? And they just going at us every week, right, And we have these obligations to the media. We had to be obligation. You had to be there. And so they knew they were going to get a sound bite. And Kyle was not great at biting his tongue. And so if he says something, now I gotta say something.
Speaker 3: Is there Is there a fine system put in place with NASCAR, Like you see you can say whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like Ricky, listen that that's little of this whole podcast. We're really hanging out on this. We go back to Richmond later in the year and the back end of the summer, and uh, the it's early, it's midway through the race, it's not near the end. It's not in the same scenario. But Kyle's leading and I'm running second, and I went into turn one and tried my hardest to put him in the wall, and uh, he's I ran into the back of him and he slid up the track and backed into the fence and spun down the track. He ended up being able to finish the race, But that was maybe the one I can I can say I probably intentionally wrecked somebody. Let's I can't count him on two hands. I may be counted on one hand, right in twenty years of racing, and that was that was one of them. And I was I was in the situation that race. No, I don't know, I don't think so, but yeah, probably not buddies back there. But I'll be honest, man, I was in a situation where like, if I didn't wreck team, I felt like everybody was gonna go ooh, you're solved. If you don't, you know, here you are, here's your here's your opportunity. Man, y'all media is painted y'all into a corners as the arc rivals and and he says dirty shit about you, and you say shit about him, and now here's your chance. Man, You're gonna you're gonna talk talk and walk the walk and all that. So I was like, I don't, I can't not, man, that media puts you in a little bit of a deal. Huh, put you a little bit of a deal.
Speaker 2: Hey, and we're back. Hey comments, comments, comments, comments on YouTube, comings in the YouTube shout out, shout out hey. Right now, Cigars International is offering our listeners ten percent off your order plus free shipping. Just go to Cigars International dot com. Is this right? That's the call to action, That's what we start with. Either way, you're gonna be using uh the promo code. Boys at checkout look number one, shout out Cigars International, No free shoutouts. Whether you're working from home or just kicking back after a long week, there's no better way to relax than with your favorite cigar. My favorite cigar is the I'm gonna butcher this the Nicaraguin. Did I say that right? Last night? I was grilling chicken burgers. You guys saw meet in the leftovers earlier from the chicken and burgers. Last night grilling it, grilling at hard had the Monarchs on air, Monarch Compton Dude, and I had a stogy from Cigars International. That is my favorite vibe. I am at peace and pure happiness when I am grilling and having a stogy. And if the boys are involved in the boys are included. That just makes it that much better. Cigars internationalists is home to the largest humidor in America. All the brands you know and love are available here, from the big, top selling national brands to the small boutique cigar makers, Cigars from Nicaragua, There, it is, the Dominican Republic, Honduras, Ecuador, the Bahamas. In America, you name it, they've got it. They have great cigar deals, from their daily cigar deal to weekly specials, their Cigar of the Month club. Dude, I want to be in a Cigar of the Month club very badly. I kind of want to start my own Cigar the Month club. However I can do that. Cigars International, maybe we can find a way. Don't know where to start, don't don't know where to start. Don't worry. They're the kings at making all star sampler packs like a variety pack of craft beer, but better that lets you get a little taste of everything. Right now, Cigars International is offering our listeners tempers it off your first order plus free shipping. To take advantage of these incredible savings, simply go to Cigars International dot com and use promo code boys b O Y S when you are ready to check out that website is cigars with an S international dot com and use promo code boys come into YouTube.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, how many exchanges with Kyle did you have in like like you and I talking right now, like face to face.
Speaker 1: Do you ever look at him? Hey Kyle? Sood No?
Speaker 2: Did you mentioned there's Twitter back then?
Speaker 1: Oh? Shit?
Speaker 2: That was a.
Speaker 1: There was one. So and this is what I don't tell.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: We and Kyle's Kyle. You can get Kyle's version of it. It might be different.
Speaker 3: I was welcome on this podcast. Yeah, I was welcome you you this is your second time on't.
Speaker 2: Bus.
Speaker 1: You should have him. We were at Phoenix and this is toward the This is around p R. Yeah, this is around twenty fourteen. Things aren't going well for me. I'm having a down year, pretty frustrating year.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 1: It's practice. I'm going down the back straight away and I'm slowing down and coming into the pits and I get to the apron and Kyle's going Kyle's behind me and he's coming by, and I guess I was too close to the racetrack. He didn't like where I was at and it was appeeding, and it was bothering him and his focus and his really the racetrack. I moved here in the no I slowed down and got on the apron to come into the pits. And he's coming by me on the racetrack and uh, and he you didn't like something about what I did? You flip me the bird in the car out window through the net? Yeah, he sticks it out in front of the net like this. He's like, hey, did he get the full handout? Are they enough to put your hand out? Or you saw enough of a knuckle to know that's knew what it was, all right? And I pulled into the garage and I just it just sent me over the edge. So yeah, practice in so calm, like you think, there's nothing, nothing's going to bother this guy. Pull out. He's out of here, you know. So the practice ends and I debrief with my team and and I'm I'm frustrated with my car has just been in a bad season. And then that happened and I went, I'm gonna go to my holler, and I see his holler and I'm like, I'm going in there, oh ship, And if he's in there, I will confront him about it, and I walked up. I walked up into his haller, which is an eighteen wheeler trailer, and you walk to the very front of the trailer and there's a lounge and in the lounge is Kyle and it's crew chief, and I know it's crew chief to be one. And I said, Kyle, if you ever flip me off again, I'm gonna rip your head off and I'm gonna kill you. I'm gonna beat the hell out of you. And I just said everything I could just say moment and he's sitting there going you told me you were to kill him. Yeah, we had to talk about.
Speaker 2: That the other way. We really did, because you know, what's his name, I'm gonna kill you, Taylor says.
Speaker 3: He gets I just don't think that's that big of a deal because it's like, I don't know, it could happen, but you're not gonna kill knock him out, hopefully.
Speaker 2: I don't the car being a weapon at some point.
Speaker 1: Because questions, emotions get the best of you do. So you tell this guy everything I wanted to tell him, and I I'd never ever do that, right, That's that a character for me, But it was to a point to where I was done. I needed to tell this guy to knock it off right. The words in the media, the bird, the this, the disrespect is just got to come to an end. You're gonna respect me, and you're not gonna you're not gonna look at me the way you're looking at me and perceive me the way you perceive me. You're gonna you're gonna respect me when we're here together to racetrack. And so I said what I had to say, and I turned around and walked out. He didn't say a word. God, that must have change your ass a little bit that he didn't say nothing. But I didn't want him to respond to me.
Speaker 2: You just said it and turn around and you walked out.
Speaker 1: I didn't want him to respond to me. And his his crew chief didn't didn't move, and like it. It was what I wanted it to be. Yeah, you know, I feel like that if I didn't want anything to happen to where it would have gotten physical, it probably would have easily gotten that way. It's good that nothing happened to where it became physical. It's kind of dude. He's tall. He's tall, but he's not now, Okay, I mean yeah, you're okay. He's taller. He's taller than me five ten and a half.
Speaker 2: That I love that half.
Speaker 1: Sad half.
Speaker 3: You get the detailed question. Looking back on it, he stood up and said, all right, I'll kill you right now. He had to have found out who was gonna be like that, So you think you could have taken him?
Speaker 2: I don't know, is are you back there?
Speaker 1: Story where you got in his car? Yeah, he's pretty skinny. Yeah, I don't I'm not. I don't have enough. We'll I don't know what my ability is. Yeah, that's understandable.
Speaker 3: I mean, no one can really fight unless you're a fighter, right, Like all of us can sit here and talk about what every At the end of the day we fight for.
Speaker 1: There's buttons all over this chick.
Speaker 2: I might be hard for twenty seconds. We're all we're both tired.
Speaker 1: We're like, all right, hey, guys, get twenty get the hell out of here. But you used to think I can fight. We all did, yeah with one right, Yeah, at at one.
Speaker 2: Point we all think we still do. Come on, we're on cameras. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Once I started getting kids, I was like, I don't know who am I fighting dude, Yeah, only my daughter's assumed me fighting somebody, you know, practice, no problem.
Speaker 1: It felt good though. I was glad to do it, and it got it. I think it changed our relationship. So, you know, years later he's he texted me one day and he's like, Hey, We're at a race track somewhere. He's like, Hey, I want to talk to you about some race. He owns the team and I owned the team. He's like, I want to compare some things that y'all are doing with what I'm doing on my business. How far after probably four years after the Richmond incident, okay, four or five years.
Speaker 3: Four or five years, so you guys lines of communication after that, and the media kind of stopped. You guys obviously didn't talk. So he just had you guys are both.
Speaker 2: Kind of transitioning in the business world, and you guys are kind of like, you know, respected at this point.
Speaker 1: And then we started communicating and then I had him on my podcast and we talked about Richmond. Oh, we never talked about it, and I said, hey, come on my podcast and let's talk about Richmond, and let's talk about that day, what you went through, what I thought, what you thought, what what I know, let's be honest and be clear and everything beyond that, all the dirt we threw on each other in the media. Yeah, and and we talked it out and he told me, and you know, you can get him in here and talk about that. But he was like, man, when I came into the sport and y'all were we were Dee I Dylnhart incorporated the team I was driving for at the time, we were courting him and Rick Hendrick was courting and he ended up going with Rick, right, so we were. I would see him in the garage when he was like eighteen and go, hey, man, you coming to drive for us? Yeah, you're he's sought after, you know, young kid with a lot of talent. I'm like, hey, you coming with us?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And he's like, I don't know, we'll find out. And so he was playing dumb. Yeah, He's like, do you he has have agents in the game or you guys? Kind of I think it's probably his parents more than anything, right, I imagine.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I doubt he had an agent, but he's like, man, back then, I wanted to be your friend like you were. You were the bud guy, you were the you were the fun guy. He was like, I wanted to be in your group. And I'm like, damn, I didn't know that. He's like, yeah, I hated how things got took off with us and how we went down this other path. He's like, because when when I was coming into sport, I was thinking, Man, it's gonna be cool if I can hang out and drink beer with me. I was the beer guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're having beers.
Speaker 1: Now, how cool is that having beers?
Speaker 3: How cool is it like to have somebody when you're in the game long enough look up to you. What we talk about that sometimes it's like when you play something long enough, you have kids that are growing up and going into your world that are fans of you, Like, hey, you're selling some You're just like, yeah, listen, I'm just talking about you know what I'm saying. That's I mean, that was That's a cool feeling for us.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool. Now, Yeah, you know, I don't. I don't not the It wasn't that cool to hear that from my peers, if any of those were to ever say that. But now that I'm done and I'm and these like twenty year olds, they are coming into sport, and I guess because I'm forty six and I feel like I'm getting old as hell that they even knew who I was. They're like, man, I used to be a big hell junior fan when I was five. I'm like, well that that makes me feel old. But it's nice to know that, you know, I'm not aged out like these kids that are coming into the sport don't know.
Speaker 3: Who the hell I am, right right, Yeah, it's super cool. Yeah, So we go back to the beginning of the podcast, legend, just let your.
Speaker 2: You're returning, They'll be I see you're you're returning back to the racetrack.
Speaker 1: Well, I do run one a year. I run one race a year to scratch the itch and to smell the smells and hear the sounds. So when I'm I'm a broadcast for NBC and I when you're up there in the booth, all right, if you're a player and you go into the broadcast booth, it's you can tell the broadcast and the viewer everything that the player's thinking, right, because you played it. You just played there. You were just down there right. Well, the second the second year, the third year, the fourth year, the fifth year, that gets harder because you forget Zach, you get your turning it into more of the broadcast you got, you have the player anymore, right, and you're further from that. And man, I don't know if I know exactly what that guy is thinking right now. I forget that energy, I forget that sensation or that emotion. I forget that pressure. I forget that nervousness, that fear, of that anxiety, all those things, right that you have in those moments, right, And so I get in the car once a year and run one race to be reminded of all those things. So when I'm in the booth, it's right there. When I need to pull that file, it's right there, right when I need to draw on that moment and go I was, I know what that's like. I know exactly what he's thinking. It's all fresh. Well, what if you win, then that's badass?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But if you win, are you gonna sit there like you No, Let's get another run at this thing.
Speaker 1: H No, I'm done, man, I you know I ran. I raced for twenty years. I had some head injury stuff, some concussion stuff, and I felt like that I was going to the well too many times I felt like that I was taking some risks unnecessarily. So I'm getting ready to get married. And at the end of twenty sixteen, we have our first little girl. Shortly after that, and this is like I got his whole new life, you know, and maybe racing ain't important anymore, and maybe you know, when I got hurt in twenty sixteen, I had I mean, I had like I had recognizable symptoms, you know. Just it wasn't when most people get a concussion. You guys know this, right, So when guys get concussions, there's they're self diagnosed. Right, you don't. I don't see it. I don't see your concussion.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I had like these visual cues that you could see.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I had balance issues and visual I had I had uh issues speaking and thinking of pulling words out, you know, just trying to form the normal sentences and not being able to think of a simple word that I use every day.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I had these issues that were frightening, man, frightening and uh. And I thought to myself, like I don't want to ever put myself back there again. Uh, And going to the racetrack and running every single week, You're gonna crash you cannot run a whole year and never hit anything. You're gonna hit stuff. And and if I'm just hitting stuff all the time, I'm never giving myself any chance to get beyond this and get past this and get away from it. Right, And so yeah, going back and running that one race is a risky decision. I'm particular about where that race is at as far as the track and what's the potential of a hard wreck there, you know, And it needs to be a track I'm comfortable with. Yeah, And so you know, I and I don't go out there and race over my head like I would if I was twenty five or twenty eight, like with Reckless abandon Right, I go out there and measure the risks and I have a great time. I get to experience it, and for the time being, it checks all the boxes.
Speaker 3: Have you done like anything post racing that is like beneficial for brand stuff? Have you gone and looked at anything like IV therapy is different stuff like that?
Speaker 1: No, So I haven't. And the only reason I think is because I haven't had anything that's triggered me to have concern. And so, you know, when I had the problems that I was having in twenty sixteen, I'd already been to Pittsburgh to see Mickey Collins, who's a guy that works with a lot of the Steelers. Yeah, he's the Steelers guy, Penguin's guy, but he also worked with other racers. He's worked with a lot of people that I know, but he's worked. He's worked with tons of football guys. Yeah, I've worked ye. So you know, he helped me in twenty twelve get through us I say, small concussion, but he helped me get through an issue that didn't last long and went away in a relatively short period of time. And so he with that experience, you know, I thought, you know, oh man, I got this under control. Well, I got in trouble and put myself in a bad situation in twenty sixteen, with a lot of crashes and a lot lot getting sick. After a lot of crashes, I'd be well in about three or four days and think, well, you know, I'm healed, you know, but I kept had hit the wall three weeks later, and then three weeks after that, I'd hit something, and I kept layering all these concussions together, and one day I started getting worse and worse and worse and didn't know what it was and why it was happening, and I was just going down. Yeah, I didn't wrecked. I was racing. I hadn't wrecked in weeks, and so I didn't. I was like, what's happening in my what? What's happening to me? I didn't wreck What is this?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So finally I figured out that I needed to go see him, and he uh, we spent eight months fixing it.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, it was you do anything that I was like, out of the norm of what the usual.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, everybody's experience seems to be different, and whether you My treatment in twenty twelve was much different than in twenty sixteen because the the understanding of how to treat a concussion had changed. So when twenty twelve happened, they were like no TV, no cell phones, dark rooms, sleep, silence, quiet, nothing. And in twenty sixteen, when I was like, man, I do not want to go through that, no rooms in dark rooms, no cell phones, no TV. I don't want to do that, right, that is awful, And so I was dreading it. And when I got diagnosed, He's like, Okay, here's here's what you do. What triggers your your symptoms, and I'm like, well, going to the busy places, the grocery store, or I'd say, you know, if I went to a concert anywhere where there's there's where there's complex environments, it freaks me out. And he's like, go do those and I'm like, oh, okay, and uh so yeah. So so they pulled me out of the race car and now I'm in a concert and my team, my p people, my crew, my brand team, and my race team. They're like, you know, you can't drive a race car, but you're you're off at a concert.
Speaker 2: Yeah you have.
Speaker 1: You're trying to get over a concussion. What are you doing?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And so I would take all the people that I could take to see Mickey when I would go visit him, so he could explain to them like, hey, this is what we're doing, and he's in big trouble and so you know, and it was helpful, but uh, it took a long time to get over that, and I you know, so I think I retired probably about if that never happened. If that never happened, I'd probably race way on into my late forties. And I think that if I hadn't have got married and had kids. Even with that incident in twenty sixteen, I might still be racing today, Yeah, because I wouldn't put new things into perspective of something different to lift for. So right, So when I had only myself to live for, I would probably put myself back in that same situation risk. You know, my doctor would tell me, even after twenty sixteen, He's like, you're fine, You're no more You're at no more risk than the other guys out there. And I'm like, wait, but I'm damaged, right, I've had this injury, and it seems like I would be at risk to get it more so than the guy racing the car behind me. He's like, ope, you're good, you can go race. He's like, now you can get hurt, but soa can he You're not going to get it easier than him. And I'm like, okay, So I without my wife and kids, I probably would have just went right back to it, right, and I probably would have got sick again. I probably would have got hurt again, and who knows where that would have sent me, right, But uh, yeah, when I got married and had kids, I was like, uh, I don't want to I don't want to I don't want to be at home sick, can't can't walk, can't stand, can't talk, can't see, and have a one year old kid that I can can't enjoy right her her milestones. I can't be in the moment when you're in a concussion. I'm not telling you guys anything, y'all haven't heard or no. When you have a concussion, you're in a fog. You're not in the moment. You're not in the room you could be. You could have the most important people in your life in a conversation around a table and you couldn't be a part of it and start doing the lookoff and yeah, it was awful.
Speaker 2: You worry, bussy t.
Speaker 1: I think you know I do. Uh, it's a I don't worry about it. For me, I can't live the rest of my life thinking, man, what's gonna happen to me? I think that some people do live their life like that, worrying about their future. But I'm just gonna today's good. Let's see how tomorrow is. Tomorrow's good. You know, I'm just doing it, doing it day to day.
Speaker 3: You've also dealt with a lot of trauma also, like just like that plane Crush talked about in the last podcast and Wills and Hayes flying in It's like, I bet every time you got on a plane, it's there's gotta be a little something in there. Yeah, it starts taking off, you just start rolling a little bit, like let's.
Speaker 1: Get this thing off the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the arm.
Speaker 1: But if you live your entire life thinking of the next flight I take, you can't. I can't do that. I can't not fly. Yeah, I've got to get back on a plane because there'd be would be things I need to go do that are important, right.
Speaker 2: Like busting with the boys.
Speaker 1: It's very important. This is a very important thing. Fall through through the anxieties.
Speaker 2: To be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I hope you guys are enjoying this all time episode that is going to belong on Mountain bus Moore and I think you would all agree. But need a shout out Cannabis, Cannon Dips CBD, no free shoutouts, candadips uh from deep in the hills of Humboldt County, California. This is gonna be tough following the clear rules of no free shout outs. I I fucking love that comes the innovative dip heroes at Candadip CBD, the original nicotine and tobacco free dip alternative with CBD. Guys, we super excited that's what's on there. Guys, we super excited it should be. Guys, we are super excited to share with you a product that is an absolute game changer. It is a tobacco and nicotine free dip alternative with CBD that tastes great and really works, utilizing cutting eggs cutting edge absorption technology for the perfect anytime, anywhere experience. Candadip CBD has mastered a discrete and fast acting way to consume CBD and has provided it in a format that can help you evolve your dip whether you want to toss in some Candidips after a big session at the gym, or to help calm those nerves when you're playing the back nine of your favorite golf course. The Canadip CBD pouches are a versatile and effective product. Canadap CBD is offering the Woolves an exclusive offer. They are so confident that you will love the product. They are offering The California Role. Sounds like sushi, but it's Candidiap's CBD, which is five tens one of each of their core flavors wintergreen, mint, Mango, citrus, and spice for fifty percent off. That's fucking right, fifty percent off for only twenty five dollars. Try all five flavors and your favorite. Head to canadips cbd dot com and use promo code busting for fifty percent off the California roll. Yep, that's only five dollars a ten. Uh. These Canadips CBD pouches are all natural, spitless and are great to use wherever you are. Oh shit, I lost you. You fucking moved the thing. JP you moved the thing. No tobacco, no nicotine, full flavor experience designed for your enjoyment. No more hiding your ten from your lady Taylor and playing sneak at you. Also sneak at you, dude, I fucking like it. Also, no need for that spit cup at work now that you're back in the office. And let's face it, what real wolf rubs what? And let's face it what real wolf rubs lotions on their bodies or eats gummies. These dip manufacturers from Humboldt County, California, have been perfecting this product in twenty sixteen are excited for you to try it. Put down your old canon and pick up a can of Candid Dips at cannabiscbd dot com with promo code busting and find your favorite flavor in the californiayear role for fifty percent off at only five dollars a can Go down, Go Down, Go Down, Hey Canada, CBD baby, go there, fifty percent off use code busting. You coming to Nashville like transitioning into that you're a big uh pioneer in bringing Nascar to Nashville.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm working hard at it. Seems like everyone's really excited about it. Yeah, yeah, everyone that even people that aren't just just a casual fan are excited. I think people just want as many sports as possible here and that absolutely.
Speaker 1: I think so. I always say that, you know, the rising Tides lists, all the ships up, and we have IndyCar coming to run the street course at Nashville. We got NASCAR at the Nashville super Speedway. There's a lot of there's a push to get Nashville to the fairgrounds in town. It's a short track and so and Nashville Man has changed so much in the last ten years. When NASCAR left in nineteen eighty four, it was a different town. And what it is today, it's where we want to be, right, we celebrate our champion here. We've had our banquet here for the last two or three years, and I you know, to me, that's a very critical important day for our sport. It's where we celebrate everything that happened that year. Right, they could be more important. And the day you crown and recognize and celebrate your champion and all the winners and all the accomplishments. So that we do that here is great for us. It's a hell of a fit. It's perfect. And you know, everybody we loved Vegas, everybody partied hard, had a last but yeah, damn, I mean Nashville is as good or better than Vegas. It has it has a similar vibe. But also, uh, you know, it's Nashville all another thing too that and I want to say, is uh that music component like Nascar and music, particularly country music. But Nascar and music is a good marriage and we can utilize that in ways we never were able to before. We would have. You know, the banquet is a big giant you know theater, you know, banquet, banquet table event. Right, there's five hundred people there, and we were it's like pulling teeth to get anybody really bad ass to come play, you know, and get and really raise our level, right, you know, get people going. Damn did you see NASCAR had the banquet play? You know it was good, but now that you know, you got so much to choose from here in Nashville, all over the place. Damn. Right, So we had the banquet last year. Man, I was like, I was telling all the drivers, I was calling them up. I was like, Hey, all your country music friends, invite them to the banquet. Have them sitting at your table, even if they don't play. Have them there so when the camera goes across the room, they see, you know, this famous musician and this race car drive right our whole. It brings the brand up.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, yeah, it brings the brand up. Have is there is there a difficulty with the brand of NASCAR in the last like ten years, like keeping everything going in a tribjectory. You guys wanted to go in.
Speaker 1: Well the uh you know, we had an amazing run in the two thousands. Things were crazy, we were, I mean, souvenir business was multimillions of dollars. All the drivers were making money in souvenirs alone. Driver salaries were going through the roof. Sponsorships were going through the roof. In two thousand and eight, I think we had over four million, forty million dollars on one car, really, yeah, Rick Hendrick was probably near to one hundred million dollars for his team sponsorship and four cars. Yeah, I mean it was some bonkers, you know. And the numbers aren't like that anymore that you know, the ticket sales aren't like that anymore. They've started, you know, for over a decade, we've been pulling seats from race tracks. You know, if you can't sell these grands, these seats they gotta go. And so when you know, instead of having one hundred and eighty thousand people at a race, you're you're now thrilled, now thrilled, You're happy you have sixty to eighty thousand.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, it's that much of a difference, Yeah, for some plat do What do you think that is? Is it just everybody a different way?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think it's the way people consume content these days. I think that's you know, there were a million different variables that made it more difficult for fans to choose to go to a race. Hotel rooms, the costs to do it all right, The ticket prices went up, hotel gallaging, you know, everything got more expensive, and it became instead of being a fan, instead of being able to go to like multiple races a year, it came down to like which one do we go to, right, because we can only afford to do this once a year, and so that got to be more difficult. And I think that we might have lost sight to of how to entertain someone for the how to entertain somebody for that weekend. So if you're I want you to come to race. I mean it's great if you walk up and buy a ticket and come to the Grand Sands, but I want you to drive an RV and I want you to rent a spot, and I want you to be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and I want you eating concessions all three days, and you know, pumping money into economy around the racetrack. And that got harder to do. You know, that got harder to get people to come and commit that that and for you to do that, you need more than just the race on Sunday. Right, you need a concert on Friday night and Saturday night. You need some racing on Saturday. Some of you need multiple forms of motorsport at the same venue or something like that. Boys play on Saturday and that that's gonna bring you in. So it's uh, I think we're getting back to that. I think we're getting our our promoters, our our promoters are promoting and getting creative. And for lack of a better way to describe it, they got to bring in that sort of carnival atmosphere and that you know, that entertainment atmosphere they got to have, you know, they got to have other things for people to do. Then to drive there and sit around for two days to wait on this three hour race to happen on Sunday. Sounds like Nashville is the best place for that to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nig City, Bro, it'd be awesome.
Speaker 3: I think however many people you can get is gonna go, especially that first one. But if you guys do it right. We read concerts and all that.
Speaker 1: We ran out at the fair, we ran out at the speedway, and everybody the industry, meaning crew members, all the people that work in NASCAR drivers, wives, all the industry people and the fans all got entertained for a week, you know. I mean we came into town, we went to Broadway, we had they had parties, and out at the track they had parties. The sponsors were holding parties in town, big vents. Everybody was getting taken. It was great and we had that stuff hasn't been happening for years. We just thought, oh, we're just the race is all we need. I don't need to spend ten grand for a concert act here Saturday night, you know. So we're kind of getting back to being more of an entertainment business and the races, the you know, the main course, but you got to have everything else, advertiser and all those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty savvy in the business world.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was transitioning from like NASCAR juggling the business and becoming the businessman that you're obviously being, like being a part owner in the NASCAR speedway circuit whatever it's called. Apologize, No, it's good.
Speaker 1: I've been uh well, speedway circuit.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: It's all good.
Speaker 2: The NASCAR Talladega race.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I used to tell people, like when I first started racing, and it was just I was just making a paycheck from racing alone. And uh, I used to tell people that I wanted to find my form and grill. So George Foreman had the grill. And and anyone in any athletes size or any race car driver's eyes, you know you want to you want to be George Foreman. I want to have them. You want to have this thing beyond your your racing. Uh that's gonna you know, be a be a big deal, be a national thing, right, whatever that is George for grill, that was great and he selled the hell out in things and whatever your George Foreman grill is right, it can be anything. And so I was just always like, I'm gonna find something and it's gonna land. I'm gonna land something I'm gonna make. It's whether I created or it comes and falls in my lap.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And uh so you try, you know, not everything, some things are silly, but you try about everything that sounds good, right, and some stuff doesn't work. I've done candy bars, uh, and different things that just don't work. Chocolate, what's to do on the candy bars that did just go? I mean, getting some shelves, space, get a damn store. I don't care what kind of food product you are. Is competitive. Look, you just don't walk in and put your tatter chips on the tater chip aisle. You know what I mean? In all the stores across America, it's competitive, and uh you you got to earn that. And so or could be with the right people. But a lot of our things didn't work, but a lot of them did. And the secret to being successful at anything is people, and so like having some Like I don't know how to run a restaurant, right, but I own a restaurant that's in Uh we have Whiskey River, which is in airports. We got one in Charlotte, Riley and Fort Lauderdale, and uh we kill it. But I don't make the choices because I would run it in the ground right.
Speaker 3: To do.
Speaker 1: I got some people that I partner with that absolutely know how to run a restaurant. And that's why it wins, you know, And so you know when you you just can't go in there thinking, Man, I know how to do this. I know how to run a night club. Be the best nightclub. Yeah, you know, you're never gonna make it if you're not a nightclub owner. If you weren't born into it, you can do everything right. You have to put with the right people in the right place. George didn't build that grip.
Speaker 3: He did not.
Speaker 1: There's no way he built that grill. Do you think George is in the basement.
Speaker 2: Maybe things together?
Speaker 3: You don't know George, dude, I do actually know George. Yeah, literally, so this I actually wanted to talk about. What is how did this happen between you two? Let's like, what because I've heard I've heard a gentle story about.
Speaker 2: Wales.
Speaker 1: He you know, he flexed on me a couple of times.
Speaker 2: It's tough sometimes strong around Dale and I being friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no question.
Speaker 3: I mean I literally I feel like the third wheel here. But I do want to know between the two, how did this whole thing work out?
Speaker 1: Is a natural thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It natural?
Speaker 2: He can? He can? He can, you know, chime in whatever. How I remember it. We were on our run. That's when we won the division back in twenty and fifteen, and that was the year I started taking over the job, and we were we were playing well in the back end the back end of the season, and we started stringing games together because we can never win like two games in a row. It was always we'd win one, we lose one, we win one, we lose one. And then we started swinging together. I think like maybe three or four, and we were having fun on social media and uh D Hall and I we were close and he was tweeting back and forth with Kevin Durant and uh I, you know, being myself on social media. I'm like, I tweet at both of them. I'm like, hey, Dal, introduce me to KD, but be cool about it. Yeah, and then he like last, He's like, Comp, I'm sure he knows you.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: He's a fan of the team, because Kat's a big fan of the Washington football team. And Kat responds like, hey, Comp, I know who you are. Man. He follows me and stuff. And I'm like, you know, I played that up, that KD follows me. And then I see yeah, yeah exactly. And then in an article of the next day, I'm seeing, like the media, you know, put together the storyline of what happened, and I saw that Dale was following me too, because they're like, oh, KD wasn't the only one who followed Will like Dale had followed me or something.
Speaker 1: I like, Kat fan is that how you saw this thing go down?
Speaker 2: Well, he's he's a he was a Washington guy too.
Speaker 3: He was watching fan, Yeah, Washington fan. And I was always like active thought, this is the guy I'm gonna follow. I was on social Let's let's take a pause here.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So I was like, let's look that for a second. So you're obviously a huge fan of the team. Yes, to be falling, you know what I'm saying. Well, fifteen playing well? Yeah, playing well.
Speaker 1: But the first was dat play each other that year?
Speaker 2: Yeah we won.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm very aware. It was a horrible day. It wasn't fun a white good It.
Speaker 2: Was you and Alex Boone. You guys were both They called me like some like white guy out there, but Boone was like messing with me.
Speaker 1: I remember going to you like, hey we played other in college, and You're like, all right, white dude with the content on his back. I'm like you can't.
Speaker 3: This got to be the same guy from Nebraska. So okay, So twenty fifteen hits, Well, how did you get to that man's twitter?
Speaker 1: Washing him play? He's playing good? Are you serious? I mean like you saw him make a couple of make a couple of Accoles and you just gave him a follow. I think it was more like.
Speaker 2: That looks so different.
Speaker 1: That was like just bored as hell, like all the time.
Speaker 2: We couldn't even drive the race car that day for real. But oh really yeah, but yeah, so.
Speaker 1: You just started following that day?
Speaker 2: Or was it?
Speaker 1: Did you see the I don't. I think it might have been that day. I don't I think it was that day. I can't remember. I mean, I just you know, I would. I just was like, man, this guy seems pretty cool and we needed, uh, you know, our team needed some personality.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, when you're a fan, you gravitate towards the guys that seemed to show some personality. Right, there's the workman type guy that you appreciate, like you know, uh that that scores a touchdown, hands the ball, the wrap goes back to the bench, right right. But you know every team needs that sort of uh clown, right, that class clown.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ God, it's the funnyest fun about that is, I know, you know, every team needs sort of a clown. And I just see that part being in just some trailer that.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, just the fun you're enjoying yourself. Things were work, things are going well for you, and you were you were you were embracing that, and you were sharing that with fans.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: That fired me up because Dobson back there was my He's been my strength coach pretty much my entire life.
Speaker 1: And uh say this, okay, all right, I am a fan of the team, and if I can interact with one of the players, I mean, I'm no different than the guy next door who isn't a race car driver and on TV, right, I'm just like him. And if I'm just as excited about, you know, getting on social media and interacting with Will is this guy.
Speaker 2: Is I get it.
Speaker 3: And so people think people that do stuff, they think that I'm like, yeah, right, like George, George, you're not a fan of anything.
Speaker 2: Ye like me and George like he's really nice. It's like, oh yeah, I mean we're all human beings, like we all like want to hang.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's playing for the team, and I'm like, dang, that's cool, man, because we you know, he was cool enough to be, you know, engage.
Speaker 2: Which is crazy because I'm thinking, I'm like, because I knew dob was a huge Dale or hard junior fan, and I'm like, yo, I can't wait to show tell Dob that Dale and I follow each other. We're kind of friends because what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: The next uh, the next year, we were about to go to O t As. Dale tweets like, hey, good luck in O t As. I'm like, we're fucking we're boys, man, And then we get to go we get race at the Richmond Speedway.
Speaker 1: Is that is that?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, we get to go to Richmond Speedway and it's just yeah, that's how it happened, dude, Literally like Twitter and the kind of really we text every now and then.
Speaker 1: That's super nice. I'm really glad this is developing something that you got some both hang your hat on all over.
Speaker 3: The guy.
Speaker 1: It was just a clown, and you know, every team needs a you know, a clown.
Speaker 2: He goes, he goes.
Speaker 1: You got the hard.
Speaker 2: Workers, you know, and then you know every team needs like a clown.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that day, that day, you guys been driving, Like were you guys kicking it up? You guys couldn't drive the race car. Legit, we couldn't drive the race car.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He was like, we get to choose like four or five players to come out to the speedway, like your names on the list, like make sure we get to go out because it was during training camp. So you wait. So you go to the stand and hey, you're doing like a retirement round or something, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you go to it was Richmond. Yeah, go to Richmond, Washington at the time, Washington football team.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I was going to go to training camp later that day. Yeah, but we had we practiced early in the mornings.
Speaker 1: Right, and so we had to wait on y'all.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think I put you and me, Kirk Morgan, Moses, Ryan Kerrigan, and I don't know if there's anybody else, but you put on your list or you.
Speaker 1: Put Will on your list. I put all those names on this.
Speaker 3: Okay, got you Morgan, Moses, huh Off, it's Lineman Butt. You follow him on Twitter, say, hey, Dale, how much more bake can I throw you?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Let me get that. But yeah, it was an awesome time. And I'm sitting there thinking, like, you know, we finally get the meet and hang out and we take like you know, I do like a little snapchat, little snapchat selfie with him with the dog tongue and stuff, and he drives around the car and I just you know, have a blast. Yeah, I'm like a kid in the candy store, no question, you know. I see Dale. This the most humble human being. I like to tell you, no question about it. Mcdale has no clue that Dale's Dale right right, And I'm like, you know, screaming and stuff. You see him just driving the car, just kind of like laughing.
Speaker 1: He just seems like he's happy to give you the He's like this guy, were you really yes?
Speaker 2: What like what what?
Speaker 1: What are you nervous about? Because you see how he's on driving.
Speaker 2: We will come to the boy, the boy in the.
Speaker 1: Car, dude, you got there. You know they're in the middle of their prep for the season.
Speaker 2: Oh we were hyped up to man. There there.
Speaker 1: Are on whatever that is, right, staying healthy and just getting getting the work in. And they are getting, you know, asked to go out of their way over to do this thing.
Speaker 2: It's like a field trip. We got to miss some of the training camp.
Speaker 1: All right, I don't know that, so you know, this is the greatest thing.
Speaker 2: Keep driving so we don't have to go back.
Speaker 1: You're like, hey, good day, you're sitting there going, man. I hope they like I hope they want to be here. Yeah, that's what I'm saying, dude.
Speaker 2: But then you you went though, like ran around against Jeno, right, Yes, yeah, Josh Norman, I remember that.
Speaker 1: We're buddy, Hell, how did that you catch on him? I did?
Speaker 2: So that's back when Jo was like Jay No, Yeah, he was like that. We came off going to the playoffs the year before, went in the division. Kirk was now taking the hell, you know, leading the way at quarterbacks, so we had like it was like, you know, it was a good time to be a Washington football Teammateah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that was off script. So we were walking We're walking around. I'm just like, I don't even know where it's supposed to be, and uh, you know, I'm trying to be out of the way, but there's no obvious place that this is out of the way and their players doing their own thing, and Josh was jesus, Josh, is are you showing the Josh thing? This is me and Josh Norman.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that? I bet he thought you were an asshole. Dude.
Speaker 1: I'm like, who's Josh Norman? I was, I was kind of bush to you.
Speaker 2: What's he doing?
Speaker 1: After this? Yeah, well we were so this this thing. We were in four minute drill at the end of the game.
Speaker 3: This is like the game like it was like December twenty third, was like Christmas time, and what's the upset for? Well, okay, so Josh, so we did four minute drill. Obviously in the game, I did their bone arrow. I know, That's why I trying to make this thing. And then they So Derek runs the ball left, smart move, gets a few yards and Josh tackles him and Gator rolls his leg and I'm not like, like, listen, Derek's my boy. But even if Derek wasn't my boy, like the we're not going to play those types of games. So I go up getting Josh's face and uh, we kind of go at it for a little bit. We end up winning the game on like a pick six. It was like a I think Butler picked it off and ran it in when we didn't need to. It was like fifteen seconds left in the game. So, like, Josh's mouthing off to me, and I just belined for the silence. He's sitting there, Josh, he looks at me. I go get the fuck off my field, dude, and he like he's like, what was that? And I kind of put it back again and he threw his helmet at me. Didn't move, baller move and the thing goes right by me and he slaps my hand. You obviously saw the video aster that slaps my hand and all that. But we've tried to get him on the pod a couple of times, Like, to me, everything on the field is like it's all everything's a show in my hands, Like we're just we're playing football, where this is entertainment, Like I want to beat you up. You want to be up with this after it's over, I I don't care, you know what I'm saying. So we get into it, but that he was definitely pretty upset about that. And then this year he's playing for the Bills and then Derek did we did him. He flew through the air. That man is still in the air of the day.
Speaker 1: This day was that boom do Do Do doo and he's like still floating off. That's awesome. You guys are you guys had a little deal there. That's nice. Yeah, I'm happy for you too.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not being judged, it's just it's just interesting to get the perspective of other people because I don't know, I feel like we'll was probably super nervous to meet you too getting in there.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, I was fired up, like up, yeah, I mean I was a little nervous, but I was like fired up too, just just like I wasn't like a big Nascar guy growing up, but knowing like Dale Junior, like you just know Dale Junior, just the name Dr Junior, and you know people like Dobson and a couple like family members back home that are like, you know, love Nascar, like love Dale Junior. So I'm like stoked to show dob I'm like, dude, check this ship out. And uh but yeah, I was. I was like fired up to meet him. I'm like, yeah, I'm about to ride in a fucking car with Dale and our junior. Now we're drinking a beer on the bus for the second time. Yeah, bro, it's beautiful. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: I love that. It's all I had.
Speaker 2: Even looked away. You're like, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: We just want to celebrate our friendship. Yeah, it's beautiful. It's nice to be a part of, just to be around it. It's like it's uh, it's infectious. It's infectious.
Speaker 1: Exactly what you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anybody Dobson, you guys been back there, I'm sure time.
Speaker 1: He was all right, let's do this. I've kind of got two questions. We'll start with the first one.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I didn't really grew up like I mean, I'm twenty two, So your dad wasn't really alive like when I could remember racing. But I was listening to the Ty Norris episode of him talking about the most Popular Driver award? What kept your dad from winning that?
Speaker 1: Like for so long?
Speaker 4: Like people now, I mean know your dad, but they don't know Bill Elliott. He was the one who was winning that award way back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Bill. So the most Popular Driver award when dad was alive went to Bill Elliott. He won it sixteen times. I think he holds the record. And Bill's popular now.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 1: He was a popular driver without a doubt.
Speaker 2: But the.
Speaker 1: You know, I can say this, I think without being too disrespectful, but we always felt like that they had bots before bots were bots, right, they had a hm, I'll be I think, you know, to be clear, what it was is that they organized like that. You know, when the vote was going on, you had to vote through an old news letter and his fan club would organize and be like, all right, everybody's that time of year, let's go get get you get your votes in, right, And you know Dad didn't do that. Dad didn't like all right, everybody, it's that time of year, let's vote for me and his uh and Bill would win it without fail. Every year he would win it. And in my opinion, uh, you know, if you polled NASCAR fans and you know Dad was more popular, argue it's arguable, right, it's absolutely a debatable thing. But in my mind, he was absolutely a bigger star, much more you know, mainstream outside the NASCAR bubble kind of guy could you know, was in films and and would cameo here and there. And but Bill won the award every year and they organized, you know he is fan club and and Dawsonville, the city where he's from. They got everybody on board when it was time to get the job done. And he would never lose that award. And it was it was something I don't know that Bill was actively out there going I need this. Yeah, they have PR teams back then. Yeah, sure, so that that it was there were there were the right people knew that it was good for Bill to win that award, right, and so they organized and helped make that happen. And you know, I don't think, you know, it was any illegal or wrong. I don't think they did anything wrong, but they just were, you know, they were very dedicated to getting that year after year after years. Good questions, Sach, it was your dad, if your dad was the timidator, what was was it?
Speaker 2: Bill?
Speaker 1: Bill's nickname was Awesome Bill from.
Speaker 5: Dawsonville, Awesomeville from Dawsonville, Austville, George, Hey, listen, put there one everywhere Awesome Bill from Dawsonville. That's tough, Like listen, as a casual, casual fan, I don't know who that is.
Speaker 1: Sure, you know, you gotta refrain, you gotta frame this in the eighties, you know, awesome you know the it was. It sounded absolutely spot on in the eighties, like, yeah, Awesome Bill from dos Mill. That's people.
Speaker 3: It's got a nice jingle to it, right, Yeah, yeah, today it might not sound quite as might not it sounds dated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that name is getting drugg on.
Speaker 1: A little round table.
Speaker 3: And like, hey, let's take a nickname for Dale. And you said Awesome Dale from wherever he's from, I'd say, hey, well, you gotta leave the room.
Speaker 2: You're fired.
Speaker 3: Get him out of here right now. Yeah, the intiminary lives on forever. I suppose that name is awesome. I suppose, man, I feel I feel like I have to I feel like I have to.
Speaker 2: Have bills back. I mean, yeah, yeah, I get you.
Speaker 1: Yuh yeah, yeah, you guys. Everybody shoots honest and everybody shoots straight in here. But I think that, you know, it was in the eighties. It like seemed to make sense right.
Speaker 2: Here in the eighties, right coming coming after you know, the seventies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, in like the eighties, Like even if you look at the movies like Friday, like Friday the thirteenth, it's like no, no, no, and like they have like the thirteen and it's like probably a swing and a miss now right, that's like you can you do that on any computer?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Exactly, that's true.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yeah, I see what you're saying, getting this.
Speaker 2: To the other side. Keep getting us to the other side, being like that is a badass name.
Speaker 1: That is nice. Yeah that I think about it, whatever whenever I want. That's a lot from me yesterday.
Speaker 2: Zach also brought up that you had a funny story for accepting the award of your dad. I did. Uh.
Speaker 1: So the banquet at that time was in New York City, and my dad is passed away earlier the year before, and Bill Elliott bowed out of the voting that year and said, do not vote for me, really, And so Dad won it after you know, that year after his death he goes and so at the banquet, they have a dinner or breakfast the day before the morning of, and they give away these special awards, right, and that one of them is the most Popular Driver award, And Dads, they want me to accept the award for Dad. Right the night before, I'm hanging out in the lobby or in the hotel somewhere at the water for Astoria and Kenny Strader and a couple other guys, the race car drivers peers are my dad's and they're like uncles to me. Right, they're they're they old enough to be my dad, and they treat me like I'm their son. And they're like, Hey, we're going to Hogs and heffersh tonight the meatpacking district. You gotta go with us Dogs and Haffirst. Yeah, at a strip club. What is that now? It's a drinking it's dogs and that place sounds awesome. It was amazing in the meatpacking district in New York City. So that's all I remember. I don't yeah, I don't know if it's still there, but I don't think it is. But anyways, I it was a tradition for them every year, and so I'm like, sure, I'm wherever you're going, I'm going. I love you guys. I can't believe you asked me. And so I go and we drank, and I said at the bar, and the bar's closing or they're leaving. It's one of two in the morning. They're leaving and they're like, hey man, let's go. And I'm like, I'm gonna stay and thought that was a great idea. And so around six o'clock in the morning, the bartender's closing and and she's like, hey man, let me get your cab. And I'm like, yeah, I guess so, and she's like, where are you staying. I said, I'm sending to the water Story. So the cab sent me home at six o'clock and the banquet, the breakfast for the Most Popular Driver award, is at eight o'clock. I go upstairs and climb in the bed, and I mean, I am hammered.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: The general manager for DEI, my dad's company, ty Norris, comes up there and he's like, hey, the bankt or the breakfast is happening. Come on, and I'm like, I ain't going down there, fucking that, I'm not doing it. He's like, no, you got to go do it. This is your dad's award. And he's like, I'm like, I always got to accept everything for him, you know. Ever since he's passed away, I got to go up there and get all the things, and everybody wanted to honor him and acknowledge him for right or wrong. I got frustrated with it. Right, I probably should have been thrilled and absolutely honored to do every single thing, but I wasn't, and I didn't take it that way, and I didn't do it right or wrong. But so I'm like, screw that. I'm tired of doing this. I ain't going down there. And obviously i'm I'm I'm drunk. I'm not thinking correctly, and that's probably weighing a lot on this whole thing. So Ty says, you do what you want to do. But you're gonna regret this ship for the rest of your life. Your dad's never won this award, and you're only one person can accept it for him, and that's you. And he turned around and walked out, and I got up and ran and I said, hey, hey, he's heading down the hall, Like wait, all right, I'll give a shit on. Yeah. So I put on a suit and I walked down there and walked up on that stage. When they called, you know, when they said, you know, they presented, I walked in there. They've been holding off, like, put this award goes, you know, goes earlier in the set, right, Yeah, So they're putting this off, putting this off, and finally I walk in the room and they're like, okay, he's here, do the award. And so the award happens, and I go up there and and I don't remember anything about it, but Ty said I spoke well and that is awesome. I oh, that's so walked off the stage, right back to the double door exit and right back up to the room. Tore all the ship. Good thing he did that, man, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I'm glad I did. I would probably that would be something that'd be something you'd regret.
Speaker 2: I love how you just turned around and walked out, just set the scene.
Speaker 1: Good for him. It was good, is thatch? Was that your second question?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: So this is uh.
Speaker 4: I guess more or less athlete mindset. And maybe Taylor and Will can relate to this, but they may not know this, but you went on a four year losing streak. You what was your mentality like during the middle of those four years where you were just not winning.
Speaker 1: Like I was going I was saying to my I was saying to only a very very few individuals that I wanted to quit, like this is miserable, this sucks. I don't want to do this anymore. How can I end this? How can I get out of this? How can I stop this? I just don't want to And I didn't have the I didn't say it to like my car owner, Rick Hendrick, or my team because I was I knew one that I wasn't being honest with myself, and obviously I didn't want to destroy the relationship. Rick wasn't giving up on me as an owner. He gave me a whole lot longer leash than he gave other guys. Right, so he because he you know, if other guys didn't get their stuff together and run, well, he sent them down the road. And he hung on to me for way longer than that, right, And I knew that, And uh, there was part of me that was thinking, if I keep coming back, it'll it'll turn around, right, It's got to turn around. But they're in there, you know. In some of the toughest moments, you're just like, I want to disappear. Even if I regret this and I just feel like a failure, I'll just I'll just fade in. I'll fade into the beach somewhere and nobody will ever have to worry about it. I'm glad I didn't, right, I'm glad I didn't take that. That would have been the easy, cheap way to do it. But uh, I was glad I stuck it out. We got back to winning some races and had some things to enjoy, you know, at the back end of the career, and that was really really good. Steve Gatart came in and yeah, brought a whole right, So yeah, is that who's that? Who you say, Steve Latart, that was the crew chief that came in. I changed crewchiefs. Yeah, I changed crechief pivot, so I changed crew chiefs. So things were bad. Four year losing streak. Not a no, not a threat. Right, And people in the garage and you know, you know, uh, guys on teams that are that you may even look at like this, but they're not a threat, never gonna be anything you gotta worry about, right, They're not any They're not competition to you. And you thought you reviewed that way. Yeah, and the ground, it's gotta be a tough feeling to have God.
Speaker 2: Especially for like four years. You're like, what am I doing?
Speaker 1: So I changed crew chiefs. And this guy that came in, his name Steve Latart. He was kind of kind of rejected by the driver that was driving for him a little bit. At least he viewed it as I'm not wanted by this guy. And he came to me and he said, I think me and you were both looking at our last chance. He said to you, yeah, and he's like, we're gonna do this and we're gonna make it work, or you know, if you don't do what I need you to do, then it ain't gonna work. And so he's he looked at my approach and my prep and said, you know you're gonna need to be at the truck an hour before before practice starts. I was just showing up right on time before. Yeah, that was good enough. And he's like, I need you there an hour early. I need you to stay as late as I need you, whether it's four hours, ten hours, whatever it is. You just don't leave till I tell you you're clear. And he just had all these rules and I never had anybody place that in front of me. And I was like, oh, all right, if it's my last chance and it's your last chance, I'll follow every rule. I'll do everything you asked me to do. That's and dude, we did it. We got better. It took a while now as a process, but we got back to victory Lane and we won a handful of races, and day twenty five hundred, I won a Martinsville clock. I mean, we had some great years where we ran good top fives, top fives, top fives, contending every weekend. It was awesome. That's amazing. Then he caught h and then so things are at their best, right, everything's everything is amazing, right twosand and fourteen, going going into twenty fourteen. So we're in the middle of a great and we're doing good in twenty thirteen and I got a h I got a rumor. So I told me a rumor that he was going to take a broadcasting job with NBC. And I was like, how could he do that? Hell you confront of him about it?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: So I got this rumor on the way into Charlotte Murder Speedway. We were racing there in May. So I've got this screwchief right, and he we we're doing well. And when we don't do well, instead of looking at me and going all right, man, I need you to try a little harder, he looked at me and he said, I got to build you a better car. And I'm like, holy shit, I've never heard that, right. I always heard that I made the mistake, or I needed to try harder. I wasn't dedicated, I wasn't focused today, never had of a guy told me the car I built you wasn't good enough for you and I got to do better. And I was like this new shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he was a massive, awesome cheerleader, always cheer always like come on, man, we can do it. Come on. Standing there always cracking the whip. Come on, come on, we can do it. You know, if you're talking, you know you're hearing your hearing this over the radio. It's pumping you up every race. Anyways, you know, he's taking this job as a broadcaster, and I was devastated, and so, uh we ended up. Uh, you know, I go to him and I'm like, dude, I heard this thing, and he's like, yeah, I wanted to tell you, but you know, I'm sorry. You sorry, the rumor got to you before I could get to you. Yeah, I told you himself. Yeah, And so we ended up doing his final year twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: We won.
Speaker 1: I have four races maybe something like that. And uh, then he went into TV, and so I raced a few more years and had some more fun. And then when I got ready to retire, I went to the booth where he works. Really yeah, I said, hey, man, you cool. If I come to the booth, they're offering me this job. He's like, come on, yeah, that's awesome. Now we're back.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I'd love to hear that for sure.
Speaker 3: Those two years after he left, was there like a nervousness transition like that support systems kind of gone.
Speaker 1: Nope, So we had there was there was this prospect, prospect Greg guy'es was his name. He's a crew chief, bright engineering mind. And I talked to Steve and I said, okay, I said, man, you're leaving me. You got one job outside of us going through this final year together. You got one damn job. Like every time there's a void in this team, you don't try to just feel it. You try to put a better person in that position. If we lose a guy for whatever reason, he either gets fired because he doesn't do his job, or he gets hired by somebody else, you always try to bring in somebody that's even better. It's not you. You never bring in a guy that's the same or worse. Right. You always anytime you have an opportunity to fill that void. I said, now it's your turn to fill your own void. Dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, find me that guy that's better than you. I was like, here's all the names. I'm here, and here's here's the people that we could go after. And he's like, that's the guy right away. And I'm like, I like that guy too. I'm glad you feel that way. That's cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that that's hard transitioning from anybody, but just having having the sports system and yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: He was so cool about that. And that's one of the tough things about I don't know if that's one of the tough things about life is learning that not you know, you're gonna fall in love with people, You're gonna make these amazing friendships with people, whether it's your wife, your best friend, your dad, your your your cousin, your your buddy from high school. But none of that stuff lasts forever. That was such a hard lesson to learn, and it's still not easy to to take right. I mean, I I had this guy that was like a grandfather to me when I first started racing, and we had to split up because of for me to learn more about my cars, I needed to work on them, and that meant him drying an hour to work every day. And he's like, I'm not driving an hour to work because the cars were at his shop, and I was like, I need to work on them every day. I need I can't drive, you know, I can't go down there. He's like, we just had to split and it was it was like a death man like because he was like a granddad to me, I love this man, and uh and and and I think, you know, splitting with Steve at that time. Those are difficult things to deal with in life, but you got to realize that nothing lasts forever. Nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, that is that is so true too. It's like sometimes like just think about like almost being done with ball, like damn, like this chapter that you've worked, you know, up to twenty three years to play it. You know, a sport that you you know, you know the average career is light, and then to play and then you know, now you know, like it's almost final and over, regardless if I want it to be or not. It's just crazy to think, like you know, something you think is going to be forever, knowing that it's not, and then it's finally here at the finish line or you know it is. It is nuts. And then friendships, like you know, Taylor was mentioning it on you were talking about like seasonal stuff, Like it's just crazy.
Speaker 3: That these friends in your life are like seasons. Like you there has this big vertical leap and you're like, God, this guy's the best. Then for whatever reason, it kind of just fizzles out. But then you make like two or three that are like lifetime friends.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course. The best are the ones where you might not hear from them for a long time, but you can pick it right back up. That's how me and my high school are. Man, they don't give you that, They don't give you that that feeling of that vibe that man.
Speaker 2: You should have stayed in touch the whole time.
Speaker 1: Why haven't you been calling me? Yeah, they're just like glad to hear from you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got a buddy who can get off the phone with and a month later call back and pick up on the same conversation.
Speaker 1: Those are the Those are the ones that last forever. Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: The boys when you when.
Speaker 3: You were talking about your dad and like kind of always wanting him to give you that that approval, and like when you start racing, you started to see that. You guys, when he went from preaching to okay, you're kind of working together as a tutoring when he did pass away, Where were you guys at in your relationship?
Speaker 1: Was it really everything you wanted it to be? Yeah, it was amazing. I was uh.
Speaker 2: We I was this? Uh I was this.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to put this into words and articulate just right. But man, he was looking at me like, this is gonna be part of the future of my business, right, I mean it had to be. I had won, uh you know, over a dozen races in the Xfinity Series, two championships back to back, and was moving into the Cup Series, had won the All Star Race as a rookie, won at Texas and Richmond, and I had this potential, right, I had this this uh, this this prospect of success. And he was building this brand new race team to to be the best, to be best in the business. They called the shop the garage, Ma Hall. Let me you know, this whole thing was just big. This whole dream envision of his was really becoming a reality. Dad could walk into the garage up to the best motor builder, no matter who he worked for, and say I want to talk to you about coming to work for me, and that guy would more than likely say I got time to talk to you, you know he would. That person was never going to say good where I'm at? Yeah, thanks deal. They were always gonna think about it. Consider it. That was dyl Earnhardt asking him to come to his and he was going to take them and spend as long as it took to convince them that this was the future and they were a part of it. And he was just amazing at that. And so what I guess I'm getting at is that he had he was going to absolutely build one of the best race teams that this sport would ever see, most successful race teams that this sport was ever would ever see. He had the ability to get all of the people that he needed to build the best, fastest race cars and you weren't going to beat them. And uh And I think that he was looking at me as a corner piece to that puzzle. You know that those are the ones that you put on the table first, yeah, right to build it. And I think he was looking at me as like one of those more of the key pieces that was going to be part of the future. That's awesome. I don't know how you guys build puzzles, but I'm the I'm the corner piece. Yeah, I get this usually to the throne, as you know, as a dad of a three year over doing the puzzles. Yeah, that Legs were trying to teach her about the corners and like get the corners out, and both of you you do the corners and then the outside. That's right.
Speaker 2: Listen, both of you are fathers of two daughters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have two daughters. Hold it they now three and eight months. Gosh, I have mine just turned four, and they have one that's certain one.
Speaker 1: In a week. Yeah, it's awesome.
Speaker 3: It's it is awesome. It's it's definitely. It's cool to see their different personalities. You have one, you're like, okay, they're all like this, right, and when you have the next one, like, listen, this is way different, you know, but it's very cool being a dead That's awesome.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy how different they look. You'd think, I mean, I'm not. This is different for every parent. Some parents their kids do look similar. But they these two that I got, man, they appear to be complete opposites. And their whole vibe they give off is not the same. Yeah, and uh but it's fun and it's good and but it's so challenging to try to my three year old and and you're probably dealing with this too. Is pushing the buttons, right, and she's she's testing our limits, and uh boy, she says some things that she doesn't know are rude, right, Get out of that is the hardest thing.
Speaker 2: I saw Taylor's oldest win almost choked Taylor to death. I remember that she didn't want to get out of the pool.
Speaker 3: She's like screaming, it's tough, man, because yeah, I mean my childhood wasn't the best and so like for me, it's like, I want to make sure that you guys have everything you need without being spoiled and also appreciate the things you have. And it's just you just don't want to You just don't want to be like that kid. Whatever the in that situation is, that's kind of act like that. And so teaching them that conference, like what you're saying is is when they just say things to you and they're it's so rude, but they don't know it's rude, and like I'll be talking to I'll be like, stop talking, yes, dude, go ahead.
Speaker 1: So I went in i was room the other day and and uh She's laying in there and I'm like, I'm like, uh, hey, you're good. She's like get out. Yeah, And I'm like you're three, Yeah, what the hell.
Speaker 3: You're like nine twelve, Yeah, get out of my room, dad, But she's three and saying get out of here, and the most random things will be so mean to you, and then the next minute they'll like kind of crawl over, yeah, snug on you a little bit and turn around just give you a kiss, and you're.
Speaker 1: Like, that's all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my kids are awesome. I'm gonna be definitely be that dad when they start doing stuff like see what my kid did?
Speaker 2: He always to having them what they did there? I always got the video on your phone videos.
Speaker 1: Do you wish you had a boy? No, because I so I was thinking about my own life, thinking about growing up, and you know, the thinking about growing up in my dad's house and how much people expected and thought, Man, you know, you're just automatically gonna be this rock star race car driver. I'm just gonna you know, you're gonna follow right in your dad's footsteps and do everything he did and more. And I might not have been as self aware of all that when I was a kid, but I definitely wouldn't want to have to watch my son be a subject to that, right, And so I didn't want a son. I wanted to I wanted another girl the second time. If it was going to be a boy, I was gonna do what you know, I was it was gonna be fine, but I'm selfish and it's always gonna be fine. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's almost like there's some other option, like, you know, that's what I'm going to be.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to make that clear. I because people aren't supposed to wish for one of the just you know, want a healthy baby, right, and so I feel I feel okay, So my wife is badass, and my little my first girl is giving me all this love, right, and I'm like, damn, I'll take some one of this. This is great, right. My whole house just bubbling over with you know, it's pouring out the windows right just uh you know, and I think a little boy would come in there and just be like Tasmanian devil, right yeah, and just creating all kinds of difficulties.
Speaker 2: But would you name them in the third.
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Hell no, And so damn don't think it easy. I'm the third note.
Speaker 1: No, hell no, that'd be awesome.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: The junior is the thing that's like, all right, well you get it going, yeah, get it. It's like, oh, I felt.
Speaker 2: That paintings hanging in on some royalty water.
Speaker 1: Mustaches. It was the first to say, yeah, I was worried that I would screw up the boy that I would. I felt like that I wasn't parent material in terms of being able to treat teach them uh right and wrong and manners. And I don't have that. In my mind, I'm thinking I don't have that ability. I'm not a parent.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm never parented. I'm probably going to be pretty bad as everybody before they have their first Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm looking at my wife, going, now, she's got it, even though she's probably sitting there going, I don't got it.
Speaker 1: I don't know what I'm doing. I'm looking at everyone. She knows what she's doing.
Speaker 3: And she can keep these girls in line because she knows girls, right. I don't and and and I can't screw these girls up. She's Amy's not going to allow it, right, She's gonna raise two perfectly amazing girls, and I will have.
Speaker 1: Nothing to do with it. If not, it's on her, you know. Well, But boy, it was no, There was no. It was sure to be a mess. That was the way I had it in my head. I hear you, that is absolutely not the reality of the situation. But that's like, in my mind that's the way I think. I think I'm weird. Do you think your patients have gotten a lot better? Like for me, whenever my kids like I'm coming at me, Yeah, they have. Whenever my kids coming at me, my first go to you thought is like, how do I handle the situation so you're not traumatized for the rest of your life?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, How do I handle this situation the right way? My patients have gotten a whole lot better.
Speaker 1: I mean I've I have gotten to the point to where like Ilah is trying to do something and I'm like, you're not gonna bother me, Like you're trying to get me upset, You're trying to trigger me, You're trying to get this reaction out of me. And I'm not gonna not bothered by what you're doing right there and keep it on going, right, And So I think I have I didn't have that in year one, year one and a half two, but I've I've kind of I used to let her bother me. Man, she could hurt my feelings. My little two year old could bother hurt my feelings, like my wife, right, And I'm like, what I think it's almost worse than your two year old does it. And I'm like, how are you able to have that power over me? And so like you work that out?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I finally, for the most part, work that out. Now, she's gonna have new tools. You know, they get older, they come at you with new things. They say that they're like, wait, that that hurts that that's a new one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh, and we'll we'll deal with that when it happens. But it's, uh, you know, it's it's interesting. I'm hands on, man. I take out of the school, pick her up from school. Like when Amy, when we had our second one. That first year, I was I was. My job was taking care of Isla. Get her up, get her dressed, get her to school, pick her up from school, spend the rest of the day with her, get her breath, theater, you know, get her bath, get her teeth brush, get her back in bed. I mean, boom, boom boom. Every day I'm down. I wanted to change diapersion, I dove right in, did all the things. Once you get the diaper thing down, it's kind of like it's kind of easy done to it. Yeah, tech, I know, one day I got you with Bear. Yeah, we'll started doing the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Going DoD You got a question, It's been the longest pot we might have ever done rightfully, So I mean this is what we needed, like Dale on the you know the Dale bus. I know, what do you think of the bus? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like you know, I was honored like that y'all chose to do your pod in this bus was really cool to me. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: It was when he got here. I asked him like, what do you think. He's like, it's cool, man. I'm thinking like, come on.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, this is your number, this is your cool. Thing is is like we didn't paint this like this. This is Yeah, there's a story about this bus. I've come across five or six different people. It's like, oh yeah, my buddy's on that bus, and then somebody else's buddy. I think it's been around forever, you understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Coffy, good deal.
Speaker 1: I think Trader probably yeah, I'm drinking buddy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you guys cool, he flew out here. He's going to hang out with a buddy afterwards.
Speaker 3: Trader is the one that drugged in New York. There it is finest strip club and of me or it's not a strip. You want to listen, it's not a shrip.
Speaker 2: Do you want to know?
Speaker 1: What was crazy about that? Is like, we're in the middle of New York City and and and dive, and they had vastcar crashes looped on all the TVs. And I'm like, I never thought this, this is what I would see. I was like, this is the best bar in the world. And I thought it would be in like Talladega, Alabama, or Daytona Beach, Florida. But it's in New York City. How cool is that? Yeah, that's awesome. It was pretty awesome. I love that. Sit there and watch that all day drinking beer and I love that.
Speaker 2: I love how much you love beer on a loop?
Speaker 1: Yeah, drink I watched.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did only drink two beers, but we were.
Speaker 1: Only on your little trick. I hear, what was that? So you're college boys, right, y'all drink playing beer in college?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: You've never seen that? No, So this is so when you drink a lot, you don't drop it, see that. And also, so it's a grip you're creating. Also speeds the float up out.
Speaker 2: Of the beer.
Speaker 1: Oh, if you want to speed the flu a little Okay, here we go, just give a little flush. And then you got to yeah, I ain't doing that that like beer, Well you're going to lose a thumb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, I might get caught.
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah, don't try that, don't. I don't do that right here, because absolutely gonna cut your thumb off. He just starts bleeding everywhere, just starts gushing. Give that a go. One day I saw a guy I went to hang with my sister. I was fifteen, sixteen years old, and I drove down to her college at Wilmington and set around a table drinking, playing President and Assholes with him. What's president? Assholes? Nobody's ever heard of president?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe back then?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's another no questions king?
Speaker 1: Okay, oh yeah, circle of death. Well there was a we call it President and Assholes. There's an asshole in there as a president.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And there was this guy ditting his cans and he was like, so I can count how many I've had at the end of the night. But he's also telling me about the flow.
Speaker 2: And he doesn't drop behind.
Speaker 1: It does help with the flow. I don't understand that you have to try it to see it. But the beer flows over the Okay, Tony's back there, He's just the beer goes.
Speaker 2: Over, the.
Speaker 1: Beer goes over the hunk, and then can right here?
Speaker 2: Why are well? I am.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna drown. I promise it's not gonna come out so fast you can't handle it. Chuck that, chuck it the whole thing. It's too fast. It's too fast.
Speaker 2: Just to see the speed. You see the speed half I'm just gonna do a little bit.
Speaker 1: I hear the bubbling. It's already not worth it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Man, Okay, did you hear the did you hear the bubb time? Yeah? I feel like it was kind of the same speed space.
Speaker 1: See if you vented, of course it's gonna problem. You're not gonna get You're not gonna get the I think.
Speaker 2: If you did it, I know you can't. But I feel like the best the best person to do this example is definitely him, because he could he get hold it. We could actually watch the flow.
Speaker 3: I can open the throat. I spent a little time with Juvie. It's not a big deal anyway, just kidding, I'm not kidding. I appreciate you coming on the bus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is awesome.
Speaker 3: Literally, it's a lot of times you sit there with somebody new and you kind of do this around about we're trying to fee each other out. You came on you telling stories in my mouth is just open listening.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. Grandpa sitting around a fire, just tell tales, war stories.
Speaker 1: And it was awesome. I've been for a long time. Man, I'm glad you guys had me on last year. And you know it's Uh, I love the bus, love what you guys are doing. I do podcasts, so I kind of keep up with what you guys are up to. We are all kind of learning from each other and taking things off each other that we like.
Speaker 2: And uh, I'll not to force ourselves on you, but you know we should probably get on the day.
Speaker 1: We'll probably come on.
Speaker 2: We could probably come on there.
Speaker 1: We also talked about in your last on the last podcast, you're on this whole western town.
Speaker 3: You have, Yes, you need to come. We're still waiting on that call. We're still I don't know how that works. You just wanting to show up at the door with a stick and you do the same thing. Hey, it's twenty four to seven. You can come whenever you want. See it feels we're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we just don't know him like I know you, and we'll sort it all out. Yeah, I'm figuring it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're texting you guys.
Speaker 3: Just call me.
Speaker 1: I'll be on the Southwest see thirty. I'll be on that thing. No problem, dude.
Speaker 2: I feel like, uh, you'd probably enjoy just the way you're out there talking about your truck. I'm like, I'm sure they both know what each other's saying here.
Speaker 3: But listen, I finish, I'm gonna sit there and talk for six seconds and he'll go and I'll be like you, you know, like I like the way trucks run.
Speaker 1: I love beautiful old vehicles.
Speaker 2: And that's We'll go check it out.
Speaker 1: Choose oil. I can get that done for you, no problem. Maybe depends on the all right.
Speaker 2: Subscribe rate review barstools sports dot com, slash Merch. That's where you can get our merch YouTube channel. Subscribe, hit the algorithms, comment below, do all the fun stuff. I'm sure NASCAR culture might be killing us for the Billy Elliott, for the Bill Elliot stuff, but.
Speaker 1: Probably where's Bill out?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: What do you think more about killing you, more about what you called the series, And oh yeah, I didn't even know that was that bad, the Circle Track NASCAR racing series.
Speaker 2: Seriously, just getting drug out there.
Speaker 1: It's better than right around the same thing as awesome Bill from or whatever.
Speaker 2: And we just went in on him. He goes, listen, I'm gonna have.
Speaker 1: Assholes whatever.
Speaker 3: Nastar culture is killing us right now. Yeah, but Bill is still around. Yeah, he's still He's still do his thing. Was your dad and him rivals. I'm still trying to do it.
Speaker 1: What am I doing here?
Speaker 2: You probably want to go the kids.
Speaker 1: He's got to go to sleep soon.
Speaker 2: And I think as long as he's asking a question, I guess we're good.
Speaker 3: On Town's cool. Yeah, those kids have been missing their dad all day, you know what I'm saying. But your dad and him, yeah they were good. Yeah, that's a very few run ins, but everybody does. Then with the intimidator, who was his big bible? Go YouTube and watch the nineteen eighty seven Winston All Star Race.
Speaker 1: Just that's one. If you're going to watch a race about NASCAR history, that's the one. Go watch that one. There's others, but that that'll be a good one for that, all right, nineteen eighty seven all Star Winston, they called it the Winston The Winston, Yeah, because Winston Cigarettes was a big deal.
Speaker 2: Cigarettes was a big deal back then.
Speaker 1: I think they kind of still are, yeah, but not like I mean they they.
Speaker 2: Were on signed like hate smoke cigarettes, like it's all good. Yeah, yeah, but yeah, and then whenever nash nas Nascar, suffs comes in that I'm sorry walking behind Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, we used to have a guy on our team called two Beers because he would get like this after.
Speaker 3: A couple of struggle to struggles, struggle to put thoughts together.
Speaker 1: I had a buddy named Chris back home.
Speaker 3: He the first thing to go is his speech, you know, fully functional, just words aren't coming out for the poor guy, Chris l It's my cat man.
Speaker 2: I love him. But when NASCAR comes to Nashville, we obviously need to be communicating because we need to have this bus somewhere visible. You know what I'm saying, Right on the track, Right on the track, guys, move around it. You know, you do your thing in the booth, Tony Wall hang by it. It's been most Rex ever because there's a bus in the movie. But appreciate it. Man.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm I'm excited to uh to finally be on the show and can't wait for folks to hear it. Get that feedback, man, we need that NASCAR. What's the name of podcast? The Dale Junior Download Dale Junior Download all major podcast platforms, let's go.
Speaker 2: We're always in the same realm, and the rankings download they stay a little more consistently above us. But there are some times now we're all in the same realm we're compete against.
Speaker 1: Where do you guys competitive? He's Kyle Busch because he's.
Speaker 2: In the sports category. Yeah, he's a Kyle Busch.
Speaker 1: I gotta go. Appreciate you man, Thank you so much, Thank you guys. Thanks for the beer.
Speaker 2: Big shout out to you guys. If you enjoyed this episode and love and support Busting with the Boys, go to whatever podcast platform you're on and subscribe to us. Leave a review, rate five stars. If you're already subscribed, unsubscribe and resubscribe again. It helps the boys climb the charts, and again, we wouldn't be doing this and can't do this without you guys and all of your support. We also have a YouTube channel if you like If you'd like to watch our show or these episodes, they are on YouTube at Bust Them with the Boys. We're also on social media at Busting WTB. You can follow us everywhere, go buy our merch. You guys know that whole deal, But thank you so much. We are forever grateful for you. The biggest of hugs and tiniest of kisses for the boys, always and forever,