Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: We had a very funny introduction. It was really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it referenced our company sexual harassment protocols. It was hilarious. You're never gonna hear it. We weren't recording.
Speaker 2: I was recording, so you can hear my section. Okay, Yeah, if you can just accept what Garrison said without context and we'll open with that, that'll be great. Yeah. That is a classic Robert Evans intro. You just did it.
Speaker 3: I feel like it always comes from inside.
Speaker 1: Welcome to it could happen here a podcast about journalistic objectivity, that's right, a thing that we've just demonstrated perfectly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's the professional media class. So let's have a little talk about media objectivity. Right. It's been a major tenet of traditional legacy media that they must remain unbiased. This hasn't all been the case in the United States. Right used to have explicitly partisan news sources, which we have now with Fox News, I guess. But that's why you have newspapers like I think Saint Louis has a Saint Louis Democrat or the so and so Republican like that they would be very explicitly a partisan newspaper. It's only really when journalism sort of took on this strong professional and I mean professional here in terms of like the professions right, like law, accounting, jobs that are associated with university education, and a class identity, that it started to assert this kind of it's an attempt to appear rational and scientific in its methodologies, right. And one of the ways that journalism did this was to talk about objectivity. I should indicate here that objectivity is supposed to be a means of verifying information. I like that we should objectively check that what we have written is correct.
Speaker 1: The example I always give is that if I'm in a protest scene where there's a clash between proud boys and you know, a group of leftists, and you know, someone on the left pulls out a can of mace and sprays it first, that's objectively what happened. Now, that doesn't mean that that's the only thing I report. For example, if the person they maceed is somebody who has been like harassing those individuals online for weeks, or has been doxing them or assaulted them at previous like, all of that is like relevant context, but it doesn't change what objectively happened in that instant, right, Like, it's not on me to pretend that I think these sides are equal, but it is on me to accurately report like what happens. Yes, And I think one of the one of the areas in which a lot of people, especially when we were talking about, like, you know, situations like this, a lot of folks in kind of legacy media get stuff wrong is they think that all that matters is what happens in that moment, right, and what happened previously, what's happened in other engagements, what's happened like over you know, the last two or three years of however long the conflict's been going on that city is immaterial. Well, all that matters is what happened in the second when that reporter was scene. And if you're if you're thinking that way, you're going to miss more than someone who comes in with just an outright bias, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I think very often it's seen as kind of instead of being like a value of the outlet in the way it verifies information, it's seeing as being a personal kind of like quality that journalists should have in every aspect of their lives. Yeah, Like I'm aware that it's some of the big legacy broadsheets in the US, like you can't attend to protest unless you are covering the protest, right.
Speaker 1: And there's even that famous case of that journalist being like, I don't vote because I think that that would be a violation of like my objectivity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember that. I got it forgotten about that one.
Speaker 1: Like you're allowed to have opinions, that's just not supposed to be the entire basis of your reporting, you.
Speaker 2: Know exactly, Yeah, Like, and I think sometimes because people always do have opinions, right, but the opinions that are conceived of as neutral and the ones that are conceived of as being subjective are very telling, right, Like, the media for a long time has been the domain of educated, older white men, like people like me. I guess I'm not old, but getting that way. And it also has been the domain of like capital in the state, right, like Jeffrey Bezos owned several newspapers pro market biases, pro capitalism biases, pro state biases, that those are not really investigated much in the media in the way that other biases might be. Right, It's also created this idea that the media always needs to shoot for the middle in any given discussion, which I kind of want to investigate a bit, when Donald Trump says something which is overt, like Donald Trump has said things which are nativist, right, nativism is a form of racism. Donald Trump therefore has said racist shit. The way that this is far too often treated in the legacy media is it's the racist shit that Donald Trump said, correct, or like, maybe we should consider this racist thing that so and so has said, right, rather than this shit is racist Donald Trump has said of shit that it's racist, or other members of the Republican Party. All this serves to do is when we have a topic and the people in Congress anchor themselves on the very far right, what is acceptable discourse, the media then moves discourse to the right so that position is in the center, right, it serves to ratchet that overton window to the right. I'm demonstrating this for my colleagues with hand signals, which of course only two of the hundreds of thousands of people listening to me will be able to see the right way to our podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a very compelling mime of a ratchet like it looked like you basically were doing it. I could not tell.
Speaker 1: I couldn't tell the difference. No, that's why we call you ratchet. Straps out.
Speaker 2: Got me a ratchet, Jimmy. Yeah, it's This podcast is sponsored by Invisible Ratchet. Now it was time to pivot to add It's not time to figure to add yet. I think we should talk about the way other professions concerned with the truths deal with this topic, right, because journalism is pretty much unique and considering objectivity something that we as individuals have to embody in every action that we take. And I guess the most relevant one will be academia, which is something else I am unfortunate enough to have participated in for far too much of my adult life. So academia still not great, But we have accepted that everyone is biased in academia. Right, We rely on, among many other things, something called standpoint theory, right, which is a cornerstone of modern feminist thought. Most of you will be aware of it, even if you're not aware of it. Basically, it holds that we see the world differently based on where we see it from. Our gender, sexuality, raise, ethnicity, experience, age, and a million other things impact the truth we know in the world. We experience and standpoint theory posits that perhaps people not from a certain threating may have valuable insights into it. Right, So, sometimes the outsider perspective is a valuable one. But also people from that setting may see things outsiders may not see, and we have to acknowledge those biases, right, and then continue to tell the truth. How do we tell the truth? In academia? We do something called peer review. Peer review is bad. Peer review strongly reinforces the status quote right. I will give one example. I once had a journal article, right for a history journal, killed in peer review. The piece was about the nineteen oh nine tour of Catalonia that was a bicycle competition for those of you who aren't familiar. It was killed because my media analysis didn't mention television coverage. The television was kind of crudely invented in the nineteen twenties, and did it become widely available until the nineteen forties, Right, Like, this is not a reasonable objection. Nonetheless, someone was able to kill my piece because of it, because that's how peer review worked. Right. The people who are as people who are in petitions of power can kill your shit if they want to, and they can give the most ludicrous region. That is how peer of view, among other things, reinforces state just quo. Right. The other thing that we do in academias we declare our conflicts of interest, and this is something we don't do in journalism, right, Like outlets may have a conflict of interest policy. But again, like conflicts of interest aren't explicitly declared in a piece like you wouldn't see sometimes NPR does it.
Speaker 1: Actually, Yeah, I mean a number of outlets do declare like, for example, this outlet is owned by someone who has a financial interest in the company we're reporting on, or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if the Washington Post is doing a story about Jeff Bezos or Amazon, yeah, usually they will say in the bottom or the top that the paper is owned by said said figure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Where it becomes more murky is like sometimes people have a financial interest or if something is your beat, right, you may have other fire financial interest within that beat.
Speaker 1: Well, and there's there's the very common case of people, especially now within kind of the sub stack journalism, being like friends and social with people that they are reporting on and not disclosing to their wider audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like access journalism more generally ready. Yeah, Like the way I got this piece was by being invited to the drinks party, And if I say anything I'm kind about this person, I won't be invited to the drinks party. Yeah, Or simply the conflict of interest that is presented by the more ludicrous my headline, the more people will click on this website, and the more time they will spend on the page, and the more advative you they might generate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's really the largest issue with modern journalism is that that kind of determines almost everything for an outlet, is like what's what's going to get clicks, what's going to rile people up as much as possible, And that is that that doesn't count as financial interest, right, Like the fact that the outlet has invested financial interest in keeping you on the page as often and as long as possible doesn't count as like a conflictive interest in any way. And that's kind of one of the fundamental issues. Whereas, like a lot of times, a lot of outlets won't let, for example, a black journalist report on a black man being murdered by the police, right because they see that as like an inherent conflict of interest, and the gap between those two things is where a lot of the real problems, a lot of the worst problems in modern journalism arise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talking of problems, we need to pay to ads, sure, all right, we are back. Part of this also manifests in like journalists being supposed to not have any individual opinions about anything, even if it's irrelevant to that beat. This has been the case for a lot of people regarding the genocide of Palestinian people. Right, Like you could be the weekend editor, you could write about brunch, and if you work at certain outlets, you are like under pain of losing your job, not allowed to post to what is happening in Gaza. It is a genocide to take a stance on these issues, right, And that is bad. Like journalists are human beings too, and it's ridiculous to suggest that that we shouldn't or can't have opinions on these things and still do good reporting, right we can. We just have to make sure that the reporting itself is accurate. Sometimes what this leads to is like like what I guess another, like Rubbie, you spoke about it, that like the inherent conflict of interests that like traffic on a website presents for journalism. Another like inherent issue is that like every source is seen as biased, right, Like you said, like black folks might not be allowed to report on black men being shown by the cops, accept state sources, which are far too often seen as speaking the verbatim truth, right, Well, this is what the police said. Yes, yeah, that is how we get I guess A pretty good example of this, I'll link to it in the show notes is a piece I wrote five years ago I think about police officers overdosing on fentanyl. Some of you will be familiar with this, some of you will not, But it is not possible to overdose on fentanyl just from being in its presence, like in an outdoor area next to a thing that has fentel in it. The piece I wrote dealt with the San Diego Union Tribune. Who I mean, this was a spectacular instance, I guess, of journalists like serving as police snographers. What happened here is that the police had produced an edited video with like music and shit of this supposed overdose. Right of a young cop who was like, I don't know what they call it. He's like apprentice with an older cop, like the with a more experienced cop and they were going around doing cop stuff. They found some stuff. They tested it for fentanyl, and this guy collapses. The younger cop, the older cop gives him several nacans. It's not just waste some yeah, no, just like I think there was one instant where someone received seven knock ants, which like, like, that's a threat to your fucking nasal integrity if nothing else. Yeah, if knokin doesn't work the first time, like I.
Speaker 1: Mean, people do sometimes often it's not especially like with serious ods. They'll often put people like in the hospital on drips, but you would have to take a massive dose, not just be near fucking.
Speaker 2: Fin Yeah, yeah, to like be like I think this instance, like they were outside testing it in like the boot of a car, Like it's ludicrous thing that you and like, it would be good if they familiarize themselves with some of the what an overdose looks like. Right, Yeah, And I'm mixed.
Speaker 1: If they weren't cops, I'd respect the desire to like time theft from work, because I think that's what a lot of this is. It's like, oh shit, if I have an overdose, like I get to stay out of work a couple.
Speaker 2: Of days with day that's what that's a that's a framing. I'm amenable to you. Unfortunately, they are gods. Ver If you're a reporter, though, like it is absolutely on you to, oh, this person having an overdose? What are the symptoms of an overdose? What does an overdose look like? Should I talk to a medical professional? Or you could just ask the perlice information officer who shared this with you, how did you verify this as an overdose? With whom did you discuss the toxicology report in this case? That information wasn't available right the way I was able to obtain that just to do I guess clarity is first of all, I saw the publication where they didn't mention any fact checking that they'd done. You can also pra the emails to the police as well as from the police, right, so you can see if other reporters have done fact checking that way or have asked any follow up questions that way I done, that they would have found out that you say that you can't overdose in fentanyl this way. They didn't even try. And like both sides this, I guess like sometimes you'll see outlets doing that now, like this cop overdose from fentanyl but doctors say they can't. Like it's a which I still think is an absolutely ludicrous practice. Right. That's like saying this person tried to fly, but you know that people say gravity will make them fall to the ground, like one of these things we know to be true. So I guess what I would propose we do instead of this ludicrous practice of like pretending to be objective about everything all the time, is that we are honest about our biases, honest about our conflict of interests. We're honest about like our standpoint, and then we do reporting, which is obviously verifiable, right, And that means, like you'll see that at the end of these episodes, right, we share our sources that we used after we're try and communicate where we got information from and how we got it. And I think we should strive for moral clarity in the way we say things instead of driving to this mill ground. So, like, what do I mean by moral clarity? I mean saying the cops killed someone, not officer involved shooting. Right. If you work with fucking words and you find yourself writing something as convoluted as officer involved shooting, then you have strayed from the foundational reason for journalism existing. Yeah, you have gone beyond God's light. Yeah yeah, yeah, you live in the darkness. There is I think a place for fact checkers. I think people got a bit carried away with fact checking. I don't quite know how to phrase this correctly. I had an experience once where I had written a piece. The fact checking of that piece centered on the fact that I had used the noun beach chair to refer to this chair. Yes, the fact checker believed that it was a lawn chair. To me, did not impact the overall thrust of the piece, right, like the nature of the chair. Unfortunately, that ended up killing the story. We ran out of time to go over the court documents because of the nature of the chair discussion. And I'm not sure that's what we need to do.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, and I think the other and probably larger problem with fact checking is fact checking is an in in and of itself is ha. I showed that they were wrong. I checked the fact where it's like, yeah, but what they wrote got out to thirty million people and your fact check got out to like sixty So what you did didn't really matter. And what we should probably be doing is looking at an intervention higher up on the line to stop the bullshit from getting out, rather than being obsessed with well I fact checked it, like, well, but that didn't really help you know, yeah, right, just at what point do we give that up?
Speaker 2: Is pointless? Yeah, you are like not even a footnote to this other thing that this person.
Speaker 1: No, we need to the intervention needs to be happening earlier because the bullshit is still getting out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And this happens like we're inly this a bizarre situation where like writing outlets can say what the fuck they want, right like, Like we have whole massive media empires going in on this idea that the twenty twenty election was stolen. Then we have like centrist outlets instead of being like, no, the election wasn't solen. That that's bullshit, constantly trying to like investigate those claims as if they were credible and useful, rather than illustrating why they should be dismissed and then moving on, right like, instead of investigating why this conspiracy is so important. We see that a lot with immigration right now, but we saw it a ton in the presidential debates, right Like, It's a good example of what you were saying JD. Vance can just lie and even Donald Trump actually can lie about people eating dogs and cats and it doesn't hugely matter if an hour later and use outlet tweets, oh, we fact check him, and it's not okay. Right, You're still broadcast to millions of people that Haitian migrants eat dogs and cats and that's not true. And I think we need to strive for something that it's closer to the truth, and it's closer to fairness, and it gives us moral clarity because what we're all doing right now, what the legacy media doing is doing right now, is like woefully inadequate to meet the moment. Yeah, I mean I agree.
Speaker 1: I think where I don't actually know how to solve things is the incentive structure, Yeah, is so broken. And to an extent, all of this talk about objectivity. And when I say that, I mean, like the talk that outlets and editors have about objectivity, is there more than anything to obscure the fact that the economics of journalism make it almost impossible for it to be anything but a willing agent of disinformation. That's the real issue is you can have the Washington Post, and you can have the New York Times host good reporting, but a huge amount of their income will always come from having columnists whose entire job is to piss people off or to stoke the egos of people in power. And I don't know that the good work those outlets does outweighs the crap that they spill into the public discourse, because that's what's incentivized. And so I think to an extent, there's almost no point in actually engaging with the objectivity debate with the people who are pushing it, because they're not pushing it honestly, they're pushing it as a way to obscure the fact that they make their money the same way Mark Zuckerberg makes his money, which is by spreading fear, anger, and doubt.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's the bad op ed industrial complex. Like I've been guilty of that. Right, you see a fucking headline on social media and you're like, that's bullshit, and then you click and read. Right. I used to like, when I was a little baby, channel let's engage with this and be like that's bullshit because and I try and write about it somewhere or post it on social media. But I have come to realize and in doing that, I'm doing exactly what they want me to do, which is in you sending people to their website to click on adverts and to make the money. So I think it's better that we do not do that. But yeah, that is the fundamental conceit of journalism right now. How it pays the bills is keeping you on that page, and a way it keeps you on that page is making you angry. There is like a model, I think. Then you see this like in community small community newspapers right now, like I guess outlets like Left Coast Right Watching in California and Oregon, where like people genuinely buy building trust and telling the truth, gain the support of their communities and financed by them. But I mean the orders of magnitude and income difference are like they're not making Washington Post money over at Left Coast Right Watch. I know this should be true. So yeah, pretty fucked and it will only get worse. I think, like, as as as we continue to slide into the post truth fascism world, I can't really our legacy outlets doing much about it. If all they ever going to do is strive for the middle ground.
Speaker 1: On this, Well, all right, Okay, everybody, all right, you go have a good day and now, world, It Could Happen.
Speaker 4: Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could Happen here. Listen directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.