Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I am Joe McCormick.
Speaker 4: And we're back with the fourth and final I think is it the final for now?
Speaker 2: Par I mean, death is always final business. But I don't know. We're gonna We're gonna see we have a we have a fair amount of notes here, and it kind of comes down to if we will get done with them. In a way, it's kind of like the the log. Once the log is burned to completion, then it's over. But maybe we won't burn all of the log.
Speaker 3: Ellieger there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I was gonna say this is the fourth and potentially final part in our series on personifications of death, when death becomes not not a process or an abstract concept, but a person or an embodied character. Probably won't do a full recap of what we covered in the last episodes because it's been a lot of ground at this point. If you are new to this series, you probably want to go back and listen to the earlier episodes first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we break down some basic categorizations and concepts that we then returned back to again and again as we break down other examples and so forth.
Speaker 4: So I flagged this when we left off at the end of the last episode, but today I wanted to come back and talk about a specific example of a death personification that I found really interesting as I was reading a paper about this character. Specifically, this is a feminine death personification that is actually, according to some scholars, the matron deity of one of the fastest growing new religious movements in the Americas, and this figure is known as Santemirte, which means Saint Death or Holy death in Spanish. Rob, I've got some imagery for you to look at in the outline. Here, would you say, in common appearance, a fairly typical in some ways grim repress, a female grim reaper, kind of a skeletal figure, clothed and enrobed in a way, with a garment covering the head, kind of a veil or a hood. In one representation we have here, she's drawn with a halo around her head or at least kind of an aura around the crown coming down.
Speaker 3: To the base of the head.
Speaker 4: And then in another representation she's actually quite colorful. You know, she's decked out with a sort of rainbow back drop, with a scythe and with some interesting objects in her hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that second image, you know, not surprising. I think most of us familiar with the various colorful depictions of death iconography in Mexican culture. But yeah, just a quick glance at this character, you know what she's all about. She's clearly some sort of an embodiment of death, and there's a yeah, a sense of the weighing of the scales. And you know, I don't know if we really mentioned this or not, but the human skull in and of itself, you know, is a very evocative image for a number of reasons. You know, it's what's inside our head, that's what we look like with no skin on our head. But also it always appears to be grinning, you know, it is. There is a it's easy to read the skull as smiling, as if again there's a secret joke. And we've already described what it means when death jokes.
Speaker 4: Grinning or grimacing, I guess, but a certain gritted teeth expression, yeah, either going through something difficult or trying to hold the chuckle in. But yeah, so my main source on Santa Morte Here is going to be a twenty twenty one paper published in the journal Religions called syncredit Santamerte, Holy Death and Religious Bricklage by a pair of scholars named Kate Kingsbury and Our Andrew Chestnut. Kate Kingsbury is an anthropologist affiliated with the University of British Columbia, and Our Andrew Chestnut is a professor of Latin American history at Virginia Commonwealth University, and at the time this paper was published, the authors together explained they had fifteen years of cumulative experience studying Santa Marte across different parts of the Americas. So these are authors who have written a lot on the Santa Marte figure and phenomenon. So, first of all, who is Santa Marte. She is a Latin American folk saint with devotees concentrated especially in Mexico, but in other countries of North, Central and South America as well. So a folk saint is a person or figure who many people, especially within a Catholic influenced culture, consider holy, but who has not been officially canonized.
Speaker 3: By the authorities of the Catholic Church.
Speaker 4: So Rob, you and I have actually talked about some non official saints fairly recently. I think we talked about Saint Swithin in English traditions.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, and I believe they've been one or two others. Yeah. I guess the thing about a folk saint is it enough people make a case for it, bam, folk saint. Like if enough people were saying Coffin Joe is a saint, then we have to acknowledge the idea, even if it is not approved by the Catholic Church.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, folk sainthood is recognized by the people, usually the working classes, through a kind of emergent up from the ground process. Folk saints can be either originally real people who actually existed, or they can be legendary or mythical figures. The people who believe in folk saints usually believe them to be not only examples of holina, yes, but sources of power, figures that possess supernatural powers and the ability to provide blessings. And so despite not being formally recognized by the Church and often being explicitly condemned by the Church, the authors say that these folk saints are usually seen as more relatable and with a greater ability to provide healing and aid and comfort, especially to the people of Latin American cultures, which the authors argue is in part because the origins of these folk saints are typically closer to the people in terms of time and space and life experience than the origins of the canonized saints. Many people in Latin American cultures, also, the authors say, prefer folk saints to canonized saints, specifically because they exist outside the sanction of the official church, and therefore their relationship, you know, the people's relationship to the saint is kind of freer. It is not mediated by the costs of associating or going through the church, and it's not mediated by the authority of a priest. So, for example, there's no priest that can tell you what is and is not an appropriate way to talk to or relate to a folk saint like there would be in you know, for official Catholic saints within the church.
Speaker 2: So in a way it's closer to the heart and unperturbed by the intellects of others.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: So, for example, there's nobody telling you what it's appropriate to ask for or how you need to ask that you're doing it wrong. Yeah, I mean you could say that the official church, and you know, I'm not trying to make a judgment here, this is just this is a common perception the official church is laiden with moral judgment. Like what if I need a blessing, if I need supernatural help with something, but from the church active what if I am not asking for an appropriate goal, or what if the church judges me to be in a state of sin and you know, I show up saying I need help with a problem, but from the church's point of view, my problem is that I need to repent and confess my sins before I come asking for help. And so you know, there's just kind of you're at an impasse there about like goals and priorities with the church, but with a folk saint, you're not going to be dealing with a hierarchy like that.
Speaker 3: The relation to the.
Speaker 4: Supernatural being is more on your own terms. So yeah, So folk saints are often seen as in some ways better, more miraculous, or more helpful than Catholic saints for these multiple reasons, maybe cultural affinity. Their origins are closer in cultural proximity and thus they're more relatable, and for reasons of freedom. There's less restriction or instruction on how you're supposed to relate to the saint. There's no implicit or explicit judgment.
Speaker 3: Folk saints, the.
Speaker 4: Authors say, often have a tragic death story, beginning as real people who perished by violence or sometimes under the oppression of authorities, or maybe in extreme poverty. They cite the work of an anthropologist named Flores Matos, who calls these figures the miraculous dead, and so they give one example of another type of folk saint or miraculous dead figure known of in Mexico, who is named Juan Saltados and Wan Soldados is based on a soldier in Tijuana who was said to have been framed for a horrible crime and executed by firing squad in the nineteen thirties. And then the story goes that after his death, his ghost began to cry out from his grave to proclaim his innocence, and the spirit of Juan Soldados started granting people miracles, giving people miracles if they came to his gravestone to ask for help, and a bunch of figures like this exist with the understanding that it is so thing about their tragic death and thus their relationship to death that helps give them power to perform miracles. The followers of Santa Morte often believe her to be the most effective of these folk saints or miraculous dead, perhaps because she's not just one of the miraculous dead, but is the embodiment of death itself.
Speaker 2: So for listeners out there, go ahead, describe what does she look like? How do we know her when we see her?
Speaker 4: So we sort of alluded to this earlier, But she takes the form of a female grim reaper or a grim repress, said often to be based on a classic Iberian grim repress figure called Laparca. So she's a grim repress with a skeletal body and a skull face, usually dressed in a long gown and a mantle meaning like a cloak or a cape, often with a hood, and the authors highlight that she has several characteristic items in her hands in her left hand, usually a scythe. And there's one note in the later in the paper where the authors mention a common saying that wives whose husbands had gone out roaming would would come back, would come and ask Santa Marte to use her size to bring errant husbands back. Home, so you can think of it in that sense. It sounds almost not like a like a blade or weapon, but like a shepherd's crook, you know, pull them back. But I think it also has the more common, you know, reaping imagery that we that we just get from your classic Grim Reaper. And then so that's her left hand. In her right hand she sometimes has a globe like a representation of the planet Earth or the scales of justice. She also has an animal companion, which is an owl, and this could be for a number of reasons. There are traditional associations between owls and death in and some meso American religions. And then also there is the association of the owl with wisdom in a lot of traditions. And then to read here, I'm going to read directly from Chestnut and Kingsbury about how her name is put together. So they write quote in English, she is called Saint Death or Holy Death. The name Santa Muerte explicates her identity. In Spanish, Muerte means death. Santa translates both as holy and as saint. But Santa, it should be noted, is the female word for saint in Spanish, and the saint is perceived by her followers as of the female gender. She is a quote liminal, fierce, feminine persona and is seen as an quote all powerful and protecting mother who can solve all problems, who has the power to.
Speaker 3: Give and take away.
Speaker 4: So this comes a bit back to when you were talking about gender in the last episode, Rob. It seems to me that Santa Morte is interesting because she is one of these death figures that not only has a gender. You know, you can imagine some death personifications that are gender neutral or you can't really tell what gender they're supposed to be, and then some some personifications have a clearly intended gender, but maybe it's not necessarily supposed to mean anything. But in this case, it seems like the gendered embodiment is meaningful, Like she something about her being death being a woman brings meaning to the relationship with her.
Speaker 2: So there may be some sort of stereotypical nurturing context to her, comforting context to her. But then, as we've been discussing, with room for other connotations as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, as they say, I think the powerful and protecting mother aspect of her is an important part of what she is. So she's represented in all different kinds of media. You can have pendance worn around the neck. She might sometimes just be an image Jnan devotional candle, or she can be in full sized statue form at the head of a shrine. Believers will turn to her for miracles and other aid, as you do with some of these other folk. Saints are miraculous dead, and often they believe she has the power to bring good health, to bring success in love, to bring deliverance from money troubles, and all other kinds of blessings. So it's not just stuff that we think of as inherently connected to death. She can bring boons of all sorts.
Speaker 2: That is interesting yet, because you might expect her powers to be, you know, to borrow from dungeons and dragons, spell classification. You might expect her to be a necromancy specialist, you know, and all her abilities would be nechromatic in one form or another. But yeah, once you're getting into general blessings and financial boons, then you're in different territory.
Speaker 4: Now where does this interesting sort of wide ranging power come from. We'll come back to that, because that's actually a core part of what they argue in the paper. I'm going to be focusing more on their general characterization of Santa Marte, but they're also making an argument about culturally where she comes from, so we'll come back to that. Another thing that's important is that the authors note that Santamerte has been grossly misrepresented by some sensationalist media reporting that has treated her as some kind of Narco saint. That's a term used to refer to her narco saint, a sort of cult figure worshiped exclusively by criminals and drug traffickers. The authors say this is not correct at all. She's venerated by all kinds of people, especially by the poor and by people without much individual access to power, So it's not that she is never invoked by anybody related to the drug trade or drug war. The authors say that actually she is regularly supplicated by people on both sides of the law within the drug war in Mexico. But she also says that lots of people were turning to Santa Marte for protection during the first year of the COVID pandemic, and that she is widely seen as a protector of women in places where there is a special thread of gender based violence. The author is also mentioned that there is you know, of course, no formal authority or structure within the faith, so there's nothing like the Catholic hierarchy. So you can have people kind of striking out to honor her or relate to her in whatever way they see best. So you get these chapels and shrines that are sometimes opened and operated by independent religious entrepreneurs, but a lot of the faith is actually conducted in private, like in private homes and at family alters. And because there are no formal rules, there are no structures, there are no authorities. There's just great freedom in how the faith of Santa Marte is practiced. And the authors again I mentioned this a minute ago, but they identify that freedom as a key part of the appeal. However, so you know, that's sort of the heteropraxy aspect. There's just a lot of diversity in how people honor and relate to Santa Marte. But they also say there are some common trends that they've identified in their study of this phenomenon.
Speaker 3: So, first of.
Speaker 4: All, altars and chapels are important. Most devotees of Santa Marte will visit the nearest chapel devoted to her, to her at least like once a month, and so people visit these chapels and they say prayers and leave offerings. Lots of people have altars within their homes, often consisting of like a small statue of the saint on a table or a votive candle. And the offerings can take a lot of forms. They might be foods, like chocolate or other candy I've seen some. Sometimes fruits are given. The offerings might be flowers. They could be alcoholic beverages like beer or tequila. Sometimes it's cigarettes or other smokables. There are bottles of water. Actually, the authors say quote as the skeleton saint is said to be perpetually parched.
Speaker 2: Everything she drinks it just goes right through.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know exactly how to read the tone on that phrase, but I think I take that as there being a bit of playfulness in the relationship between her devotees and her. But she's also she's commonly understood as a folk saint of the powerless, of the marginalized and oppressed, So the people with the least power, or the people who live closest to meeting death are thought to be especially within her domain. The author's cite previous work by a scholar named Olaskyevitch Peralba, who argues that she is appealing quote among liminal sectors of population that deal with transitions and transgressions, such as people working on the streets e g. Street vendors, criminals and prostitutes, migrants, inmates, policemen, troops, prison guards, social workers, and lawyers. So it's interesting that it's not just like a cohort of natural allies there. You know, you have people in all different types of professions, maybe on both sides of the law and so forth.
Speaker 2: But it's everybody on law and order, all the characters.
Speaker 4: But not just that. I mean also it's a lot of connections to maybe danger or connections to what they say again is transitions and transgressions, liminal spaces. And the authors say also her appeal is fairly broad, so it's not just that domain. They say that you will find her devotees among people everyone from housewives to fishermen, they say, but all kinds of people, especially the poor, who feel less connection to the priesthood of the institutional church. And the authors argue that her appeal in modern times extends to so many people in part because of a pervasive feeling of unsafety and a resulting metaphysics of disorder related to the ongoing drug war. Of course, this effects not just people involved in the drug trade or in fighting it, but it involves a lot of innocent people caught in the crossfire. And the authors argue that in this context, for many people sort of within her domain, especially poor people in certain parts of Mexico, for these people, living entails a feeling of constantly standing up in the face of death.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 4: However, instead of standing up to death, many in Mexico have instead entered into a religious relationship with death, wherein she is imagined as possessing the supernatural puissance, meaning like a power or strength to protect them from perishing. So there's this belief, not necessarily that death is just a bad thing to be protected from. There are elements of that in the understanding, but it's also a power you can appeal too to spare you and the people you love, or to be redirected into a kind of general power of blessing to bring you protection and boons in your life. And so in this the authors invoke an idea of a kind of interdependence between death and power. Just power to act within reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it comes back to, you know, a lot of what we've been discussing here about how these dealing with death, dealing with complex and semi chaotic or chaotic situations, violence on a mass scale. You know, we can feel lost, untethered and are you know, we have limited abilities to make sense of it all, but we can reach out to something. If we personify some of what's going on, then we have something at least in our own minds that we can deal with, that we can reach out to, we can seek to appease, that we can seek the guidance of, and so forth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but especially interesting that it's not just in domains related to death. That's like the thing that's most interesting to me about this. So anyway, everything I've been talking about so far is just sort of from the general background sections of their paper. Actually, the main point that they're arguing in this paper is they're making an interesting argument about the origins and development of the Santamorte belief. Specifically, the authors are making the claim that, in contrast to some previous writing which they think over emphasized or exclusively acknowledged the Catholic or European cultural roots of the deaths ain't they say, In reality, Santa Morte is a syncretic figure. A syncretic meaning a figure that emerges from the combination or synthesis of elements from different cultures. In this case, they're going to identify two main cultural inputs. One of them is European Catholicism. It's the Catholic or Iberian grim Repress. So this is a European and specifically Spanish Catholic moment of death figure in female form, which was not a god really as understood by the Christians, but it was more of an image that served as a memento mori or was a kind of teaching tool. So the image reminds you that death is coming, and thus you need to get right with Christ and confess right right.
Speaker 2: And as we're mentioning being not completely shackled the doctrine, it does leave you open to interpret it and present it in various ways throughout European literature.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's one input that they say. If you just acknowledge that input, the Sentamorte belief doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's hard to make sense of where a lot of its features come from. So they say, actually, a huge input on it is pre Columbian indigenous thanatologies, the death deities and other personifications of death from the religions and cultures of pre Hispanic meso American peoples. And then finally after this they also talk about this you might have heard in the title there's the bricolage aspect. They say that after this, the Senta morte belief continued to, especially in recent years, accumulate elements from other sources, including Afro Cuban, Santa Ria, Palomayumbe, and even.
Speaker 3: Wicca and New Age beliefs.
Speaker 4: But the main point I think they're making is that you really can't understand how santamorte works today without understanding the function of indigenous death deities in meso American religions, which represent whole different ways of thinking about death compared to European Catholic cultures. Specifically, these thanatologies in vision kind of a more of a relationship between death and the rest of life. I think a naive misinterpretation of this reframing would be just that, oh, these meso American religions, they didn't think death was bad, they thought death was good. It's not exactly like that. I mean, in all cultures you find religious expressions of aversion to death and people wanting to find ways to put death off and other things. But I think it is fair to say that as opposed to the Catholic vision of life and death as kind of binary opposite states of being, and the Catholic vision of death is like a kid of a kind of destruction that must be.
Speaker 3: Avoided by salvation.
Speaker 4: In christ the meso American religious view of death, and there's not just one, obviously, there's a diversity, but fairly common among them in meso American religions is the idea that death has some kind of more general power over life and is related to birth and regenerative properties and other kinds of good things in life, That in death there is something cyclical and regenerative and life affirming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that life and death are linked, That the womb and the tomb are linked. Yeah. We discussed some of this already, about how even Mother Earth can come into play in all of this, and it's not necessary. The Catholic vision and the Christian tradition of it is a little more set in stone, with some deviations as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I'm not going to have time to discuss everything they get into in their paper here. It is an interesting read if you want to go follow. Especially they get into the whole history of how they think the centimorte belief developed over time and more recent inputs on it. But the main thing I wanted to talk about from it here is their discussion of the different views of the power of death, where the where death's power comes from, and then also a little bit about what the indigenous religious inputs on santamorte might be. So first of all, again you've got this distinction between the European Catholic understanding of death, which tends to be more often about destruction, death as destruction and death as finality in a sense of finality as a kind of finality that can be averted through you know, faith in Christ. But otherwise it's the hammer comes down and its finality.
Speaker 3: And then the.
Speaker 4: Destruction has associations of chaos, disorder, violence, negativity, pain, and sacrilege. And again you find these negative elements of association with death in other cultures too.
Speaker 3: But the authors argue.
Speaker 4: That in many of these different cultural contexts, death just is believed to have more power over life, and not just the power to end or destroy life, but to influence and guide it.
Speaker 3: In many ways.
Speaker 4: And they have a kind of interesting theory about why that would be. Why would death have any power over like whether you could be healed from a sickness or have success in love, or could you know, have material gains, whether you know you get stuff from the hunt, or you know you make money, or any of these things people want. They say, you know, death is associated with what they call liminal forces, forces having to do with crossing a threshold from one thing to another or making a transition from one thing to another. They say, actually death is the ultimate and the most mysterious transition in life. It's the one where we genuinely can't see what's on the other side, at least for us, is there nothing? Is there something? If there is something, what is it? And so because liminal stages are so powerful, they're very powerful and emotionally charged in our lives. Like if you think about a lot of the most emotionally important and you know, causally crucial things in our lives, they're these things we think of as liminal stages or turning points. Birth, death, rights of passage, and initiation, marriage, stuff like that. These are the points where we transition into a new phase of life, and because of that, they tend to be the subject of a lot of prayer and ritual because we correctly identify them as literal, causal turning points, like they're the most important moments in our lives and they determine the course of the future. And thus, in many cultures, including these pre Hispanic meso American cultures, death was often associated with the power to renew and restore life. Life is guided by these very powerful liminal points, these transition points, and death is the most powerful of them all. So that's how I understand the argument they're making that it has this association with liminality, the changes or the turning points in life, and this association with liminality gives death its perceived power over all important things in life, or at least most important things in life. And then there's another point they make that I think is interesting. They say that death this is just a way that these religious beliefs tend to manifest within culture. Death seems to have more power over every aspect of life. If you feel that you live your life in close proximity to death. So if real danger is a big part of your everyday experience, then a deity of death comes to feel more like it has power over everything you do. Another interesting note on the power of death, the authors cite an interview with a devote of Santa Marte named Zenia, who is asked why she worshiped Santamorte and she said, and this is a translation from the Spanish. In translation, she says, because the only thing that is certain is death. Interesting. So, I don't know if I'm interpreting this right, but the way I took that meaning, it's kind of that death has undeniable power because unlike other spiritual entities, which you know, you name another god or saint, you're kind of having to put some faith in the idea that they have power. With death, There's no question about it. You absolutely know that it's real and it will be a factor in your life. And that kind of certainty of real power in the world can get mapped onto this embodiment of the thing.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. I mean there's so many other religious concepts, personified or non personified, that are yeah, harder to grasp and maybe more of a even more of an intellectual pursuit to try and understand like some sort of you know, deep theological concept. But yeah, death is inevitable, and not only as the final destination if you will have our own life, but as something that will occur multiple times within proximity to our own life. We will experience it, we will feel it. It has an absolute reality, and yeah, as we experience the reality of death, it does kind of take shape like we have Again, we have all these personifications in our culture. And if you have a dominant personification like this that is just sort of like floating there, then yeah, the experience, the real experience of death, I can imagine, might bring you closer to it and realize like this, you know, if this entity has dominion over this thing that I feel like it's power, then is something I can feel as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So anyway, I want to get on just briefly to talk a bit about specifics of where they think this comes from, examples of where they think senta morte comes from, in the branch feeding into it that comes from indigenous traditions. So they talk about some broad trends in how death was most often spoken of in preconquest Mexico as far as we know. They say that in preconquest Mexican cultures, death was not as it was in the European context, thought of merely as the extinction or opposite of life. It was widely associated with, as we've said, regeneration. The symbols of death in pre Hispanic indigenous cultures include often themes of fecundity, sexuality, and rebirth, so you have healing, life giving, procreative properties. And they also say that Mesoamerican death deities were often not exactly gods and goddesses, but in the author's words quote conceptualized as representing or embodying the vital force of death, which vital force of death that almost sounds like a oxymoron, right, is the life force of death. But that is sort of what they really were. It's hard, you know, to maybe identify with that from the outside, but there is a life force of death, and that is what they embody within their person. So they sometimes symbolized the places where the dead dwell, and they sometimes acted as psychopomps, which we've talked about in other episodes of this, so they might guide the souls or the dead in some form to their place of dwelling after death. But they also had powers especially related to death, not just to cause death, but to do the opposite, so you could persuade them to delay death or to heal you in sick or wounded. And the authors bring up a pair of Aztec death deities. I apologize if I get the pronunciation wrong here, but they are mik Lantakoutli and mikta Kasiwatum. These are the male and female male deities associated with death and the underworld. And the authors say that in pre Hispanic times their domain was not exclusively death, so you would possibly approach them for blessings having to do with the with preservation and enrichment of life. And in Aztec art they are associated with the imagery of regeneration, birth, sex, and fecundity. I believe the female deity here, miktakasi Wato, is often represented as as pregnant. Actually, so these these images include everything from sexual penetration to pregnancy and lactation.
Speaker 3: They quote a couple of other scholars.
Speaker 4: Who have an idea about the origins of this connection, so they say quote it is assumed by McCafferty and Carrasco that this is related to the and then they begin to quote. These authors quote regenerative power of bones as seeds, which which is evident in the journey of Ketzlkowat to the world of the dead to steal the bones from which human beings.
Speaker 3: Would be created.
Speaker 4: So there's a like if bones are seeds, that is a quite literal connection between death and both both. I meant to say birth and growth, but both it is both. The authors discuss how before the Spanish Conquest, the female death deity miktakasi Watt presided over a roughly month long celebration of the beloved dead, which took place in the summer, and this was a time when you would remember ancestors and you would remember family members you had lost. And then after the Spanish conquest, as part of the imposition of Christianity by force, the authors say, quote, the Catholic Church exercised Miktakasiwat and moved the date to coincide with All Saints Day, the first of November, which is also known in Mexico as Day of the Innocence for its association with masses focusing on deceased infants and children, and All Souls Day the second of November, where the focus is on departed adults. So there's this attempt by the Catholic Church to kind of hammer the original festival into shape and make it a part of a Catholic celebration instead of the traditional celebration. However, interestingly, for many followers of Santa Morte, the Second Day of the Dead has become the Skeleton Saints feast day, and the Church, they say, has tried to suppress this because the Catholic Church says, this is not an approved saint.
Speaker 3: You know, you should not be making.
Speaker 4: This folk saint part of your celebrations. They would just want to keep the focus on the church sanctioned remembrance of lost loved ones. But the presence of Saint Death has not gone away. And the authors note that while they are intentionally trying to highlight the influence of Miktakasi Watt in those traditions on the evolution of to Morte, that is not the only.
Speaker 3: Religion.
Speaker 4: It's not only in as Tech religion that you find these regenerative or life giving powers related to death deities. You'll apparently find this association in traditions of the Mishtech and in the Maya. So one example they bring up is a Mishtech death deity named the Lady nine Grass, which is portrayed in a particular set of cotticies with first of all, a naked, hinged jaw like you'd see on a skeletal figure, so kind of a skeletal grim reaper type face. But also so she's not dressed in a dark hood with a scythe she is in a blouse like garment that you'd normally see worn by the vibrant, life giving female deities in post classic Mexican art. So you've got skull like imagery and life giving or life affirming imagery in the same figure. And so this seems again to be in line with beliefs about death as a transition to cyclical rebirth or a figure containing powers of states of change. And finally, I just want to mention they talk a bit about the contestation over the origins of Santa Marte. So versions of Santa Marte go back to the colonial period, but there's no consensus about exactly where Santa Marte comes from. That's why you get these different theories abounding. So some argue that she is just a version of the grim reapress La Parca brought from the Iberian traditions and made into a deity. But the authors here again argue that this theory doesn't really make sense because, for one thing, the grim Reaper was not venerated and did not provide blessings in a Catholic context. It was just an image to teach about death and to remind you, momento moray, remind you that death is coming. Christ is the only salvation.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It had different cultural values, but none of them were like, it's here to help you out and give you blessings if you make an offering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't implied that you should reach out to this individual. Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that doesn't make sense, they say, But it does make sense as a sort of contribution of one half of the origin is like a contribution of grim Reaper imagery. They say, it makes sense if you also incorporate the very important influence of indigenous death deities, which were venerated and did provide blessings having to do with life. And then, finally, to quote from the authors quote, since many turned to death deities for their earthly needs, some indigenous groups, as archives prove, took the Grim Reaper for a saint. Since the Grim Reaper was often referred to in connection to Una Santa Marte, a holy Death, the figure of Death was understood to be miraculous, much like the other saints that the Catholic Church had brought over to New Spain, such as Santa Marta. Believing Death was a saint in its own right, some began worshiping it. This is the case for the Highland Maya in the state of Chiapas and Guatemala, and the Guarini in Argentina and Paraguay. So yeah, so there's this idea that that's their argument about the origins. I guess we don't know for sure exactly what the origins are, and they highlight that that it's somewhat obscure, you know, this versions of this figure popping up hundreds of years ago, and then it kind of comes in and out of fashion for a long time. It seems to be it is only in secret or in hiding that Santa Marte is honored, and in recent decades it has become much more open, you know, an there's open honoring of Santa Marte. However much the church tries to say like no don't do that. That's not part of Catholicism.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I feel like really interesting figure, really interesting history, and I love thinking about where this comes from, the idea that death is not just about death, that the embodiment of death has domain over all of life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so many interesting angles to this, but I love how there does seem to be a path of desire here. You know, she exists slightly outside of of of the actual, you know, dogmatic Catholic belief system, but clearly there is a great need for her, and people are drawn to the powers associated with her into and into that limital space that she occupies. All right, Well, I'm gonna turn over to a couple of other concepts here. In both of these cases, I'm not introducing entirely new concepts to our discussion, but kind of building on things we've been discussing already. And first of all, I want to just take a few moments to talk about this idea of death entities is not merely an idea, you know, but also an experience one might have. Because to be clear, they don't have to be a death entity, a grim reaper or an angel of death or any of these things. They don't have to be perceived as anything approach approaching literal incarnations or functional supernatural entities to have enormous cultural value obviously, but we do have to acknowledge that they certainly can be perceived and experienced as entities due to a number of factors. And some of these are things we've touched on over the years on the show, because we often talk about things that may be described as paranormal experiences and when you dig underneath them, like for us anyway, the really fascinating part is figuring out like how this actually emerges within the natural world, within the inner workings of our mind and so forth. So I'm going to just run through a few of these as I related via my own experience in the last episode. Dream states are a huge factor, sometimes enhanced by environment, anxiety, and the effects of certain medications, including anesthesia meds, and there have been many reports of people experiencing impactful visions of departed loved ones under anesthesia. Others report angels, demons, and death entities are certainly on the menu as well. Also, we can have various entities come into play via tempo varietal junction disruptions TPJ disruptions, So due to trauma, illness, or even electrical stimulation, this can result in the brain interpreting its own signals is that of some sort of an other. As we've mentioned as well on the show, we're hardwired not to contemplate the enormity of death, but rather for more localized social interactions as social animals. So we've also evolved something known as agent detection as a survival strategy, and this is tied in with something we've talked about in the show a lot before as well, idea of false positives. You know, we presume tigers to be where there are no tigers because if you think of tigers everywhere, then you have a survival advantage over people who don't think they are tigers anywhere. That sort of thing, Right.
Speaker 4: At some point you hit the point of diminishing returns for that payoff, Like you can be too paranoid, but generally nature selects for having greater amounts of fear and caution.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, But alongside this, it can mean more than just seeing a threat where there isn't one. It can mean seeing a will where there isn't one. So the argument is that we possess a hyperactive agent detection device or had D or hat I guess coined I believe by cognitive psychologists Justin L. Barrett around the year two thousand. We tend to assume patterns have intent, and it might just underlie just about every god, demi god, and magical creature we've ever dreamed up. I feel like, for me, like the simple version of this is and this is in a way, this is like childishness on my part, but I imagine many of you have done the same. You stub your toe, You might very on the say the coffee table. You might very well blame the coffee table, curse the coffee table as an entity that has hurt you.
Speaker 3: Why did it do that to me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this.
Speaker 4: For a while, the hyperactive agency detection device has been one of the theories kicking around about the the you know, the biological origins of religion and beliefs in magic and things like that. It's possible that this is in part where religious beliefs come from. We don't really know one way or another, whether you know, it's hard to prove that, but either way, I do think it's an interesting idea, and I think it's hard to deny that there is something like this at work, whether or not it's actually the correct cognitive explanation for the origin of religion and human history. It's clear something like this is at work within us, Like we we believe that there are animals or people or things that act with intentions like animals or people in situations where there are not all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even if it's not the primary underlying mechanism here, I feel like it's got to be in the mix, right, Yeah, let's see. There's also the complex area of near death experience. Again, we're often talking about entities that are said to or believe to come into play during that liminal transitional phase between death and whatever comes after. And so yeah, near death experiences. This is a topic undo itself, but basically, the neurochemical state of the dying brain makes us more susceptible to these sorts of images, and there is nothing paranormal about near death experiences twenty eleven by Dean Mobs and Carolyn Watt. This is and Trends and Cognitive science that they argue that the neurochemical state of the dying brain mirror that of individuals on disassociative anesthetics, which frequently produce anthropomorphic hallucinations and out of body experiences. And finally, in a way that I think is equally profound as any of these, if not more so, is another concept we've touched on before, and that is that the brain does not just produce random static during a crisis. It uses top down processing to make sense of internal chaos. So there will be all these gaps in our understanding of what's happening, and our mind draws on relevant cultural symbols and scripts to piece it all together. And that script might be alien abduction, that script might be angel visitation, it might be the fair folk who live unseen in the woods. And the death entity is also a highly accessible symbol that is never that far away from us.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, just food for thought here as we're thinking about death. And again, I don't want to imply that every manifestation of death, every personification of death is indeed need to be a case where Okay, people believe they see this thing when they're close, or they see this thing near a dying person. That is sometimes the case, but these concepts, these personifications are just as potent and useful without that being in play.
Speaker 4: Oh No, it's a great distinction, because I think the majority of what we've been talking about has been artistic representation. You know, it's been artistic or deliberate imagination exercises things like that, or just literature, you know, cases where people are talking about how they imagine death. It's a quite different thing to believe. You see someone you know that, like, where does that come from? That seems to maybe arise by somewhat different pathways, maybe have somewhat different triggers than say a deliberate imaginative exercise where you're trying to come up with imagery for a painting, or a psychologist is sitting you down and asking you to think.
Speaker 3: What does death look like to you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you might find out in an experience that death looks different than you thought you would think.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And it is interesting how like we may summon this personification in our mind as part of like the overarching human attempt to understand something as impactful and traumatic and transitional as death in our own life or in the lives of others, and then potentially have a situation where then you see or experience that manifestation as well. Now, for the rest of the episode. Here I wanted to follow up on another specific example of an anthropomorphic personification of death, and that is the Valkyries. We want to come back to the Valkyries here, so on discord email us if you want to link to join the stuff to blow your mind. Discord Server. A listener by the name of Gorpi wrote in and highly recommended that we come back to the Valkyries and include mention of a particular Skaldic poem. It's included in chapter one fifty seven of the Nile Saga. I'm going to probably butcher this pronunciation, but is It is titled dar Ratha the Song of the Spear, and Gorpi says that it contains quote the most metal description of fate being woven, and I agree, boy does it. Ever let's hear it all right. So I have to do some setup first, because it's not going to necessarily make sense to anyone out there who doesn't isn't already boned up on the loom or know about weaving via allum. It's going to entail a number of technology references to the loomb, specifically to the warp weighted loom. This is an upright loom that was standard for the day, you know, back back in the days of the Viking sagas. So in order to get just how metal this is, you're gonna have to learn a little bit about textile crafting terminology. Okay, all right, so I'm gonna bust out some terminology here. So first of all, what is the warp? I know it sounds magical and and already a little metal.
Speaker 4: But wait a minute, Rob, I'm sorry, is your reference point for this warhammer?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, I thought I saw that in your eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it could be you know, it could also be warp records. You know, they're different, different uses of the term. But within the world of the loom, the warp is a set of lengthwise yarns stretched tightly across the loom before the weaving begins. Then you also have the weft or wolf. This is a set of horizontal or crosswise threads that are woven over and under the vertical warp threads to create a piece of fabric. Up next, we have the headle. These are small or strings with a hole or eye in the middle. Each individual warp thread is threaded through one heddle, and when the headles are lifted or lower, they pull the warp threads with them to create a gap called a shed. All right, we also have heddle weights. These are small, heavy It's like a small heavy metal rod or weights attached to the bottom of an individual heddle. We have a headle rod. This is used to lift specific warp threads to create an opening. And then we have shuttles. These are the tools used to pass the weft or the wolf through the warp. Okay, so I actually know several loom enthusiasts in real life, but I've never discussed the use of the loom with them, so I almost pretty much all this terminology was new to me. I know we have some loom users out there, just it has to be the case. So maybe y'all can throw in on this later on in a listener Mail episode. But again, the idea here is that while many of us have no clue how this technology works or or what everything is called, this was an essential piece of technology of the day, and as clearly illustrated when I'm about to read it details, you know, its details were culturally relevant, kind of like how so much computer and internet terminology is found in our daily speech today, and I included an image of this for you, Joe, to look at. I think maybe this might clarify some of the ideas here.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I'm not you might clarify, but it's just like a thing that I have no familiarity with, and it's like tons of parts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right, so I'm going to read here. I'll also add that this poem is said to concern the Battle of Klundtarf in ten fourteen CE. And yeah, this is the translation from M. Magnusen and H. Paulson from nineteen sixty seven. Blood rains from the cloudy web on the broad loom of slaughter. The web of man gray as armor is now being woven. The Valkyries will cross it with a crimson weft. The warp is made of human entrails. Human heads are used as the hadel weights. The hatel rods are blood wet spears, the shafts are iron bound, and arrows are the shuttles. With swords, we will weave this web of battle. The Valkyries go weaving with drawn, swords killed and hothriml sangrid and svapal spears will shatter, shields will splinter swords will gnaw like wolves through armor. Let us now wind the web of war which the young King once waged. Let us advance and weigh through the ranks where friends of ours are exchanging blows. And I'm going to skip a bit at this point, but we do indeed continue to wind the web of war. Here, as our Scott Baker would put it, death comes spiraling down. But then I'm going to pick back up at the end. Here it is horrible now to look around as a blood red cloud darkens the sky. The heavens are stained with the blood of men. As the Valkyries sing their song, we sang well victory songs for the young King. Hail to our singing. Let him who listens to our valkyrie song learn it well and tell it to others. Let us ride our horses hard on bare backs with swords unsheathed, away from here. So I think you'd agree, Joe, pretty metal.
Speaker 4: That is intense. I like how the intensity is applied to the act of making textiles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which you would normally think this is something that could never harm us, would never be something that would entail intrails and blood and splintered bodies. But it goes back to what we were talking about earlier with the muses, you know, and depending on the technological metaphor in order to sort of make sense of how life comes together, how long it lasts, and how it ends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean this does. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong about this, but this does at least suggest the idea of, whereas the usual technological metaphor of death is one of cutting, severing, reducing, destroying, that this is a productive death enterprise.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Which I think that comes down to the idea that it's attempting to help us understand the battle and the battle field. So the valkyries here are obviously creating no mere cloth. They are weaving the war winning wolf, a supernatural tapestry that ensures the king's victory or defeat. So once more, it's a textile product of destiny like we've discussed before, while also standing as a powerful metaphor for the battlefield itself, a place of chaos, of death, of strategy and will as well as fate and destiny. And when everything settles, the blood, the dust, the entrails, like some sort of destiny will be achieved, like a king will rise or a king will fall. Something will have changed now in thinking about this, thinking about this idea though, of the valkyries, the choosers of the slain, wheeling over the battlefield like carrion birds, I'm reminded once more of the idea of reference in Herzog's Psyche and Death that the more archaic death demons in human traditions are or more pure animal forms, such as wolves, snakes, horses, and of course birds. And of these wolves and vultures are exactly the sorts of creatures that would help themselves to the dead and dying on a battlefield, that could conceivably like physically visit you as you are on the threshold of death, not to do anything supernatural, but to you know, wait for you to expire, or maybe get in a little early on the.
Speaker 4: Goods, to exhibit the virtuars of patients.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's interesting too that arguably one of the earliest known depictions of a personification of death is that of a gigantic black vulture like birds that's swarming or birds swarming over a headless human corpse. And these are depicted on the seventh century BCE paintings at Chatilhuyuk in Anatolia, and it's been proposed that headless remains discovered at this location actual headless remains point to some sort of ritual defleshing of the dead prior to their burial, which might be another angle on the significance of birds in practices like this, lining up with practices like exposure or sky burial, which we see practice into the modern era, where generally in places where bodies cannot be buried all that easily, or maybe cannot be burd learned all that easily. One way of returning them to the natural cycle of things is to allow birds to feast on the soft tissues and then you can do what you need to do with the bones. So there's obviously plenty of symbolic weight to throw around with all this. But you know, birds sailing from above coming down to visit the dead and the dying, You know what are they doing? Yes, they're probably coming down to eat some eyeballs and so forth, But more on the mystical realm of things? Are they death dealers? Are they psychopomps? And so forth? And so these various aspects are combined with the feminine form to varying degrees to bring us the likes of the valkyries, which again are sometimes said to be clothed in feathers, as well as the cares or the cares of Greek tradition. And you know, we might be tempted to describe them as harpy like, and we've discussed harpies on the show before, but I just want to throw in that harpies are more closely associated as personification, are more closely understood as personifications wind so a different personification going on there in its origin. But the keras Uh were the daughters of Nicks where to understand the goddess of night, and they were. They're often described as death fates and that hover over the battlefield, deciding who will fall and or looking to exact a fate already decided by some higher deity, and then swooping down upon the dying to await their death so they can drag their soul into the afterlife. So they are scavenger like fearsome creatures of doom.
Speaker 4: So but that's interesting because they combine, uh, you know, the pre death selection and the psychopomp role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not in a good way. They're more in the drag you to hell kind of a realm with psychopomp. Not the come, gentle traveler, I see that you are lost, let me help you. They're more like I'm going to grab you by the tendon and rag you into eightes. Now, there's a Greek epic poem attributed to Hesiod titled The Shield of Heracles, and it includes an awesome description of the keras here, and I should mention that not every translation of this poem actually keeps the word keras. Some use other words to describe them, and sometimes it's been argue that, well, there's not really an appropriate English language word for this sort of thing. But I'm going to read from the nineteen fifty nine Richard Lattimore translation, and it puts it like this. And men, the seniors on whom old age had seized already, were sitting assembled outside the gates and holding up their hands to the immortal gods, being in fear for the sake of their children. And these, for their part, were fighting their battle. And where they were the spirits of death, dark colored and clattering, their white teeth, deadly faced, grim glaring, bloody and unapproachable. We're fighting over the fallen men, all of them rushing forward to drink of the black blood, and each as soon as she had snatched a man down already or just dropping from a wound, would hook her great claws about his body while his soul went down to the realm of hades and cold tartarus. And then the spirits had sated their senses on the blood of men's slaughter, they would throw what was left behind them and go storming back into the battle clamor and the struggle.
Speaker 4: Okay, so quite predatory vision there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's still you know, death selectors in the valkyrie s. But whereas the Valkyries are going to escort you to a valhalla and are ultimately seen as in a way deliverers like mission accomplished, You've done your part and now you know, just reward. Yeah, this is the opposite. But it's interesting how many things they have in common otherwise, and you know, we might wonder, you know, to what, to what extent they are partially based on observations of raptors feasting on the dead following battles throughout human history, I would say that they do not. They certainly don't feel like you should worship them. I don't and I haven't seen any any suggestions that one should.
Speaker 3: They're not going to do much good for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're they're doing their job, they're enjoying it. Sounds like a little bit too much, but I don't know they're getting it done. All right. Well, I think we're going to go ahead and close up this episode, perhaps close up the series. I'm not sure we're going to leave it slightly open ended. Maybe we should leave it open ended in the long term, because I don't want death to think that we're we're done discussing it, that this is finished. So yeah, I'm going to say officially open ended. We may come back next episode, We come back years from now, so we should be permitted to flourish in case that is the option we choose to pursue.
Speaker 3: But we will send our messengers ahead of us.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, no doubt. All right. Just a reminder to everyone out there that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, short form episodes on Wednesdays and on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 4: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer, JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.