Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I am Joe McCormick. And today we're going to be kicking off a yearly tradition, our coverage of some of the winners of this year's Ignobel Prizes.
Speaker 2: That's right, We've been doing the Ignobel Prizes on the show for many, many years now. We almost never cover them right away. The awards usually drop and I think this has been the case for like at least a decade now. They tend to come out during September or rarely earlier on I think they would come out in October. But any event, we're often already wrapped up in Halloween stuff by that point, and we end up coming back to the Ignobel Prizes early November. It's kind of like a post Halloween detox to get away from a lot of the spooky stuff and into some other topic areas. But this year is a little different. I mean, last year was a little different because Joe, you're on parental leave, so our former producer Seth had to pop in and sort through these with me. So this year, we're back, and we welcome me back. But also this year we're actually ahead of schedule and hitting the egg Nobels before October.
Speaker 3: Feels good to be prompt.
Speaker 2: If you're not familiar with the ig Nobels, these are a series of awards given out once a year by the scientific humor journal the Annals of Improbable Research, edited for many years now by Mark Abrahams. This this, of course, is a play on the the the on the Nobel Prize. You know the Nobel Prize in various areas physics, chemistry, et cetera, And there's a similar organizational structure in place for the ig Nobel Prizes. Their stated purpose is, quote, do honor achievements that first make people laugh and then make them think. If you want to learn more about them, go to Improbable dot com. You can find out more about the magazine. You can see they have a wonderful list of all the winners going back to the very beginning of the whole project.
Speaker 3: Yes, now, usually the prizes are given out in honor of studies that are published in regular scientific journals but just might have to do with some intentionally or unintentionally funny subject matter. But occasionally it also focuses on papers that are themselves like intended to be funny or satirical. One example that comes to mind is a study, a quote study from several years back that was about the raiology of cats. Raology being the study of how materials flow, and so the idea is like, you know, our cat's a liquid or a solid, So you know, that is a joke, but also there was some interesting stuff to ponder in that paper, and the the pattern continues. Most of this year's winners are regular scientific studies published in academic journals, but the for example, my selection for today is more of a historical interest paper that leans on a subject that was I think intended to be selected because it was funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I think the important thing to keep in mind is that, yeah, at the heart of all of these there is some genuine science or a quest for knowledge, some some seriousness. It's not all just complete tomfoolery. And I think that's ultimately what they're celebrating here. That's one of the reasons we keep covering it is that with each entry, you know, we often ask the question, well, what makes this funny? Any kind of point to the obvious, you know, it maybe say a study that has to do with, say, you know, flatulence or something, and it's pretty obvious why that's funny. But then there is also the follow up question why is it important? And in all cases there's something there, there's some way to answer that, like it's the study involved. You know, it may seem like, you know, it's the pure shrimp on a treadmill territory, where like this is how does this possibly benefit anything? But it is benefiting our scientific understanding of ourselves or the world to some extent. And I always say, the other cool thing about it is that, yeah, I mean, it inevitably draws attention to some of these smaller studies and the work of professional researchers and scientists. So it's all good.
Speaker 3: Now, Rob, If you're ready to get into the actual winners we're going to talk about today, I think maybe a good place to start would be on the maybe the halloweenist of all the Ignobel Prize winners I can recall.
Speaker 2: That's right, we're talking about the Mechanical Engineering Prize that goes to a paper that deals with necrobotics, which, if you're not already familiar with the term, yes, it does sound like it could be made up by some sort of a nineteen eighties science fiction film or earlier that we were watching on weird house cinema, But no, this is an actual term. Will explain what it means here.
Speaker 3: Shortly, it sounds like like a Stuart Gordon movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the paper in question is Necrobotics Biotic Materials as Ready to Use Actuators by yap at All, published in Advanced Science volume nine, number twenty nine from twenty twenty two. So the entire premise of this study is at once completely sensible and also morbidly sensational, and I think that's one of the reasons it really zings. So the author's touch on biomemicry, which as you probably know, refers to the idea of turning to nature to help solve engineering problems, because why spend a few years trying to solve a problem that nature already solved over the course of evolutionary time.
Speaker 3: Now, of course, some solutions that are engineered by evolution are easier to reproduce or reverse engineer and reproduce in inanimate technology than others are. For example, we still can't really like recreate what's happening in a human brain. That is a very complex bioengineering problem that we have not fully reverse engineered yet. But there are lots of other sort of simpler biological mechanisms that we have been able to look at and say, ah, okay, yeah, here's how that works, and we could actually we could make technology that does the same thing.
Speaker 2: But the authors here point out, yeah, you know, this is all well and good, but why don't you You don't have to just stop at merely copying the design. We can actually reuse parts and materials, and this is where we get specifically into the idea of a biohybrid robot, something that quote goes a step further by incorporating living materials directly into engineered systems, so a kind of cybernetic approach. Really. Now, it's my understanding that biohybrids in general covers a lot of things that are maybe less necro in flavor, such as biohybrid materials that contain both a biopolymer and a synthetic polymer. But that's just one route. As for biohybrid robots, you can, yeah, you can think of him in general as somewhere on the same slider with the concept of a cyborg, except more of a robot that's made with some organic materials or parts.
Speaker 3: Tired donating your body to scientific research, wired donating your body to a robot's body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a way, I think one of our classic cinematic examples of a cyborg can be very can throw off our understanding of what these things can consist of, because you think of the Terminator, right, he's essentially a robot. He's just a robot, but he has this living tissue on top of all of that as a disguise. But he can completely lose that and he's still very functional. As we've discussed on the show before, the topic of cybernetics is a little more complicated than that and involves a lot more. But in this particular case, this idea of the biohybrid robot, it's you know, imagine that it's not so much the robot is covered in the skin, but the robot then actually uses human skin in various places, is to help move better, to perform its functionality better, et cetera.
Speaker 3: So they say in the movie Terminator that the living tissue on the outside of the T eight hundred is grown for the cyborgs in labs they have. But imagine instead that maybe, say, when the Terminator gets injured, it can like harvest the flesh of its enemies in order to graft onto its own skin and become part of its living encasement.
Speaker 2: There you go, it's the Terminator remake right there. You can thank Joe McCormick for that.
Speaker 3: But repurposing the dead flesh of living organisms for itself.
Speaker 2: I like it. I think it could work. But a couple of real world examples of this, at least in you know, you know, ideas that have been explored in various studies and projects. There is a twenty eighteen University of Tokyo project that created a robotic finger using rat muscle cells. There was also a twenty twelve Harvard Caltech project that produced a silicone jellyfish, so kind of like a jellyfish robot using rat heart muscle cells. And then they later worked in a kind of like swimming ray using some of the same technology.
Speaker 3: Now, less people start getting weirded out at the idea of using animal body parts as technology, it might be worth pointing out that I think really the only novel part here is that it is using independently moving body parts.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean they stress here in a way that I found kind of comedic. I laughed a little bit at this, but also it's a totally valid point. They point out that, like, look, humans have long used bioderved materials in their tool use. I mean that's the basic two thousand and one A Space Odyssey model, right, you know, you pick up the bone and you use it. We've talked about this numerous times in the show in the past, using bits and pieces of animals, using all of the buffalo in some cases, to create various bits of human ingenuity, various tools, materials, clothing, etc.
Speaker 3: Animal hides, Yeah, are a huge part of human technology.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So there's nothing particularly weird about this. I guess it just kind of runs counter to what some people might think about as the trajectory of human materials and human inventions, that as they get more futuristic, they move further and further away from this idea of something that we've made from the natural world and it becomes just completely synthetic, you know, matching up with these various sci fi visions. Where As on that SpongeBob app episode, everything is chrome, you know, everything is metallic, et cetera. This seems to run counter to that, and in some ways because they're asking you to imagine a robot that reaches out to you, not with a metal hand or even a metal hand that is covered with like some sort of plastic substance that is like a that is kind of like human skin. No, it is reaching out to touch you with a hand that is a dead tarantula.
Speaker 3: It's funny that you mentioned the plastic hand though, because if it were a metal hand, you could say, Okay, that's never been alive. That was always just you know, mineral content in the ground that was mined. But if it's a plastic hand that's derived from petroleum products, which are derived from at some point life.
Speaker 2: That's true and that it's interesting how we have kind of a mental disconnect on that a lot of the time. Maybe part of it is, you know, being in denial of our fossil fuel dependency to some extent, But the other part is like, yeah, I mean, plastic is that was made by magic, that was made by human wit and ingenuity. It has no connection to the natural world.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, That plastic is the refined and reprocessed remains of organisms. That lived millions of years ago.
Speaker 2: But the idea of the tarantula hand here is actually key to the study. I'm exaggerating a little bit by making it to a tarantula and making it a robot reaching for you. But the whole paper here is about the idea of repurposing a dead spider as a quote unquote ready to use actuator. And they highlight that there's actually fewer steps involved, like this is a shortcut. This is not like that. This is not something where you'd be doing it and you'd be overworking for just some sort of grotesque mechanism. No, they're saying, like you actually would have to do less to take advantage of this fewer steps in the production. I love this, They write, quote The unique walking mechanism of spiders relying on hydraulic pressure rather than antagonistic muscle pairs to extend their legs results in a necrobotic gripper that naturally resides in its closed state and can be opened by applying pressure. The necrobodic gripper is capable of grasping objects with irregular geometries and up to one hundred and thirty percent of its own mass Furthermore, the gripper can serve as a handheld device and innately camouflages in outdoor environments. Okay, the last sense, I don't know why that part is important. Do we need a stealth hand that grab things one hundred and thirty percent of its own mass? I don't know, but it does give us more horror movie ideas, I suppose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one seems a little bit. I don't know, but I never thought about this before. But yeah, So they're talking about how the idea that like, when a spider closes its legs, it's operating on a different mechanism than how say, mammals would move their limbs. Mammals, as it says, move their limbs with antagonistic muscle pairs, so you know, muscles contracting or relaxing in order to bend the skeleton of the joints, whereas with spiders it has to do with an internal hydraulic pressure state to cause the legs to extend. And so when the pressure is relaxed that is when the legs close, which I guess makes sense because when you see a dead spider, it tends to have its legs curled up exactly.
Speaker 2: They point that out. Yeah, when a spider dies, the pressure is no longer opposing the flex or muscles, and so you get that curled up appearance. This is exactly how you find them if you start busting open dirt dobber nests and you find them scrolled away in there to feed the growing young. But they do point out by the way, that we don't need to stop at spiders. All manner of bioderived parts could be repurposed in an engineered system. And again, there's nothing creepy about a spider handed necrobot at all, so we shouldn't, you know, act like it is. But I included images, and I imagine these images can be I think the paper itself is not behind a paywall or anything, so folks can pull this up. You can find a link on the eight Nobel Prizes website, but they show exactly the steps that are involved, and it involves first of all, euthanizing the spider and then a fabrication, a step that requires just one thing to be done, and that's quote, inserting a needle into the prosoma region of a deceased spider and fixing the needle to the spider's body. With glue to form a hermatic seal.
Speaker 3: This is still not creepy, folks, Stop stop acting like yeah.
Speaker 2: So the legs grip inward and then pressure is applied via the syringe that you just glued to the dead spider to extend the legs and open the gripper and then there you see the step. See the third step in the illustration is just using the necrobotic gripper the syringe powered effect here to open and close the spider as if it were a claw.
Speaker 3: This is truly one of my favorite Ignobel studies we have done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this one's amazing and it opens my mind to this whole world that I had no idea was really on the menu for the future, but there it is. So why is it funny? I think it's obvious that you know, the dead spider is now a robot hand. A dead spider has been used well, first of all, created, they did euthanize it, but then made into this gripper device. That alone is just inherently morbidly funny.
Speaker 3: Now, if you wanted to have a cruelty free dead spider robot hand, presumably you could bust up mud Wasp nests and find all the dead spiders inside, you know, get them out, and then stab needles in them and glue those needles in place, and then use the hydraulic pressure to make your little robot hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like that idea. I certainly don't want to encourage anyone to hurt and kill spiders without real need to. Here, I do wonder. I don't think they got into this in the article. Maybe they did and I missed it, But I wonder if there might be a risk in using an already dead spider in that the organic materials might have decomposed to some degree and you wouldn't get the same grip.
Speaker 3: Now then again, way, so I was joking anyway, But now that I think about it, the spiders in the in the wasp nest, are those technically going to be dead? Or are they paralyzed and still alive in order to preserve them longer so they can be food for the young.
Speaker 2: I don't remember off the top of my head. I know it varies with different parasitic wasps exactly how they carry out the deed. Sometimes, you know, there's a laying of eggs on the hosts. Sometimes they are inserted within it varies from species to species, and you know, depending on what their their host organism happens to be. It might also depend with the dirt dobber ness when you're catching them. But you know, if you want a pristine spider necro gripper, I think you do have to make the dead spider yourself. You have to make it dead yourself. Now, why is it important this study? Well, you know again, I think the idea of you know, of just necrobotics in general, it's it's nothing to scoff at. You know, we might consider a kind of post synthetic or beyond that synthetic material science of the future. You know, well, machines of the future will continue to have synthetic parts. What if biotic and even repurpose tissues play on an important role in at least key parts of the design, particularly where you need some sort of like, you know, a mechanical interact to take place, and you could either, you know, you could fine tune some sort of artificial system and gears and three D printed pieces, or you could turn to pre existing structures and materials, be it the muscles of a rat's heart or the you know, the fantastic limbs of a spider.
Speaker 3: Shake hands with spider.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I do love this idea of the tarantula hand spider. Yeah. It makes me think of the like tarantula up hand puppets that you sometimes see. And it's one of these things too that if we saw this in a movie from the sixties, we would say this is ridiculous. This is like robot Monster. They clearly just had a robot costume and two of these spider hand puppets and they just made it all up. But no, they actually had had glimpsed the future had they made this movie.
Speaker 3: All Right, you ready for the next prize?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What do you have for us here?
Speaker 3: Okay? So the twenty twenty three Chemistry and Geology Prize was awarded for a twenty seventeen article called Eating Fossils, written for the newsletter of the Paleontological Association, a UK based group that promotes the study of paleontology and publishes multiple academic journals, and the author is Yan Zawichevich, a geologist and stratigrapher who is an emeritus professor of paleobiology at the University of Lester in the UK. And a note so I said he's a geologist and a stratigrapher. Stratigraphy is the subdiscipline of geology that's focused on understanding geological strata, meaning the layers of rock in Earth's crust, how they form, how they're ordered and structured, and so forth. It's also worth flagging, as I mentioned earlier, that usually the winners of the Ignobel Prizes are studies published in scientific journals. This is not one of those. This is instead a sort of historical interest feature about, as the title says, eating fossils and congrats to Zowachevitch. Because I loved this article, so I'm going to start just by reading the opening passage. The rock lying by the roadside did not look like much of interest at first, a rather nondescript limestone with little more to show to casual observation than a few vague blotches. Anyway, old habits die hard, so I picked it up, licked the surface, and put it and my hand lens to my eye. Now, okay, so half of that picture makes sense to a non expert. As a non geologist, I might expect a geologist to pick up a rock and use a magnifying lens to look at it. But licking the rock is that part of the standard geology modus operandi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd never heard of this before.
Speaker 3: It seems to some extent. Yes, yes, as Zawachevitch says, licking the rock, of course, is part of the geologist and paleontologists armory of tried and much tested techniques used to help survive in the field. Wetting the surface allows fossil and mineral textures to stand out sharply, rather than being lost in the blur of intersecting micro reflections and micro refractions that come out of a dry surface. And I thought about that for a second. I said, oh, that is really interesting. I think many of us will have noticed that a wet rock looks very different than a dry rock. A wet rock has you can see some of the textures and the grain more sharply. Some of the structure of the mineral is revealed. And of course, if you know, don't have like a I don't know, like a bucket of water with you, you of course have some water in your mouth, you can lick the rock or spit on it, put some sali on it, and see that grain and structure with more clarity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess it allows you to put a very control amount of moisture on the rock as well. Whereas you're pouring a little water from your canteen, you're gonna waste more of your water and so forth.
Speaker 3: And Zawachevich says that it just so happened on this day with this rock is big old slabbery tongue helped reveal something amazing. The rock he found contained the most remarkably preserved numbulites, which are fossil remnants of a variety of four amniferin And I'll have more to say about these organisms in a bit, but in this particular fossil, these ancient organisms, their shells were preserved with three dimensional structure, intact, all bound together in a chunk of calcite. So, having established that the main purpose of licking the rock is to be able to see it better, you still might be wondering what does a collection of fossilized for aminifera taste, like Zawachevich writes, quote, the taste now was likely merely registered as generically slightly dusty and then instantly forgotten. I had always thought it entirely superfluous to identification, but perhaps not so as we contemporary types develop capabilities in one direction, we might be entirely losing them in another. Go right back to the beginnings of our science, and our ancestors and their senses were attuned to different settings. One could, then, it seems, literally develop a taste for stratigraphy.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: So Zawachevich goes on to talk about an important figure in the history of his field, a man he calls this ancestral stratigrapher, the Italian geologist Giovanni Arduino, who lived seventeen fourteen to seventeen ninety five, who notably came up with the idea of a geological division of Earth's history into different periods that would correlate with strata in the crust. These periods he called the primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary, and these categories have been majorly revised and refined by modern geologists, but the basic principle still sticks that you can identify sedimentary rock layers and correlate them with different historical periods in which they were laid down. So Sawichewitch describes Arduino as quote a busy man who had to be everywhere at once. This guy apparently worked as a mining engineer and as a surveyor, but was also just an all purpose freak for rocks and fossils. He ravenously collected and studied them from all over the northeast of Italy, from the Alps down to the Po River delta around Venice. And he called himself a mineralogist, meaning he was into all different types. He was into fossils, sediments, springs and all that stuff, everything about the earth. Now, the interesting thing is that despite his importance in the history of this branch of geology, Arduino was in some sense an amateur, and he did not publish his theories in books. Instead, they appeared in letters that he sent to a friend of his who was a professor at the University of Padua, who in turn published Ardueno's letters in a Venetian journal, which then filtered out to other scholars who took the ideas and refined them further, and they ended up morphing into the ideas we have today in stratigraphy. But here's where we get back to the flavor of rocks and fossils. Zawachevich describes these letters that Arduino wrote to his friend the Professor, which were only translated into English and published in full the year before this article, So I guess that would have been twenty sixteen. And Zawachevich says that these are fun reading, full of enthusiastic conversational style, and also just full of gushing about crushing. And all of Arduino's crushes are rocks and minerals and mineral springs awesome. So I want to read a passage here where Sawichevich is setting up and quoting sections of these letters. So this is Sawaichevitch writing it first. Quote Fossil shells in a mud rock, for instance, and coal fragments, when burned, leave an ash that quote. As soon as it is placed on the tongue, it burns like fire and leaves a flavor equally bitter and urinous. When spat out, it leaves a certain sweetness and a skinned tongue. Springs that emerge from a stratum full of marquesite and coal quote have an acid, spicy flavor. Vitriolic, yes, but with a certain pleasantness that I cannot describe, like the acidity of wine. These waters quote made me far less nauseous than did the waters from the same source that I have tasted here in Vincenza and at the skio. The white and micacious sediment from one stratum has no taste in the raw state, he said, but one's burnt quote acquired a flavor as well as a caustic quality from the calcining of the spar This man loved rocks. He loved to collect them. He wanted to understand them, and he wanted to know which ones tasted like pea, and which ones were spicy, and which ones tasted like a fine montepulciano.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And Zawachevich says that Arduino also described in exquisite detail the appearance and smell of mineral specimens as they were burned, dissolved, boiled, and so forth. And he says that Arduino was doing something that partially kind of feels like alchemy and partially just kind of feels like rapturous sensual pleasure at the experience of rocks, but then in part is also very detailed scientific analysis. You know, he's making an interesting point that without the modern equipment that we use for chemical analysis of minerals, information about taste and smell was actually very useful data to log which would maybe help us better understand what these minerals were. In a way, the tongue could be seen as like the chemistry lab of the body. I think you could argue that it exists primarily to do fast chemical analysis on anything that is about to enter the digestive tract. And this would be both for screening purposes, so to reject chemicals that could hurt us, but also for conditioning purposes to cause immediate pleasure when we're eating something nutritionally desirable, to sort of condition our brains to repeat the behavior that got that substance into the mouth.
Speaker 2: This is Yeah, this is all a great point because I think it's very easy for human beings to think of like, you know, we're very visual. It's easy to sort of cut out all the other senses and only focus on the visual and then the intellectual and of course, you know, intellectual information that's been recorded and so forth, and forget that. Yeah, we do have sensory awareness in these other realms as well, and those senses can be used to understand and catalog the world. It reminds me a bit of I think we talked about this in the past when we were talking about mushroom foraging that experienced foragers, and I want to underline that experienced foragers will sometimes taste but not consume taste and then spit out portions of fung guy that they're in the process of identifying, and they'll utilize that additional sense data into their identification process. Again, experts not eating the mushrooms. Don't attempt this if you if you were not an expert, don't eat any mushrooms because you listen to this podcast, et cetera. All the standard disclaimers, but examples of you know this sort of you know older way of using all the senses to try and understand bits of the natural world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a great point and a great point of comparison. Likewise, I would say the same thing for minerals. Don't just go tasting rocks and sediment and minerals. You know, you don't know what you're putting in your mouth, and it could very well be dangerous. But given those caveats about safety, especially if you don't have to do this to the eighteenth century mineralogist trying to understand the mineral world with a comparatively limited toolkit, tasting sediment and rocks and fossils and spring water makes a lot of sense. Those flavors are potentially useful information. Yeah, all right, So that's the first subsection of Zavachevic's essay here about eating fossils, but there are more. He next goes on to talk about the story of the nineteen fifty one Explorers Club dinner at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York, which famously, or maybe better to say, infamously, served attendees a meat dish that the host of the event originally claimed was the meat of Megatherium, an extinct genus of giant groundsloth. The later reports in the media, I think specifically in the Christian Science Monitor, claimed that the meat had actually been from a wooly mammoth. In both cases these animals, the animals in question were long extinct. So the story went that the meat served at this dinner had been excavated, frozen from a site at the Aleutian Islands, and held in stock by a man named Father Bernard Hubbard, popularly known in the media as the Glacier Priest. This sounds more and more like a D and D scenario to us.
Speaker 2: Yes, the glaciers now request that you consume the precious fossil meat. Go ahead and give us a constitution check on all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, better have only the fighter eat at first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, even the wooly mammoth meat. Though this is of course, you know, we do know that that organic material from wooly mammoths have been preserved in like, you know, snow and frozen environments. Is this real? Did they really eat frozen wooly mammoth?
Speaker 3: Well that's what the report said originally, But in twenty fourteen this story was finally proven to be a hoax because apparently one member of the Explorers Club who had been unable to attend the dinner in nineteen fifty one, somehow got his portion of the dish to go. I guess they gave to go contain. I don't know how he got it, but he never ate it, and somehow his portion of this meat dish ended up at the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, preserved somehow. I don't know if they packed it in formaldehyde or whatever, but they somehow preserved it and had it there at the museum.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just in the fridge the whole time.
Speaker 3: I hope not yeah, Gary's leftovers. Yeah. In twenty fourteen, testing of the sample revealed, despite the fact that the meat had been cooked more than sixty years before, that it was not mammoth and it was not sloth. But it was actually do you want to take a guess?
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean you're attempted to guess something close to a wooly mammoth like an elephant.
Speaker 3: Right, it was actually turtle meat. So I went and looked up at zawachevitch doesn't include it. But I had to know more, so I went and looked up the paper in question here. This was a paper published in Plus one in twenty sixteen by Jessica R. Glass, Matt Davis, Timothy Walsh, Eric Sargius, and Adelgisa Checone. Title of the paper was Frozen mammoth or Giant ground sloth served for dinner at the Explorers Club. This was the year twenty sixteen. Just to note that it is apparently more difficult to do DNA testing on older remains, and also more difficult to do DNA testing on meat that has been cooked, but they did succeed at testing it. This is from their abstract quote. We sequenced a fragment of the mitochondrial cytochrome B gene and studied archival material to verify its identity, which, if genuine, would extend the range of megatherium over six hundred percent because if it actually came from the Aleutian Islands or from the Glacier, priest no idea that giant ground sloths were living there at any point. But anyway, they say, if it actually was genuine, it would extend the range of megatherium over six hundred percent quote and alter our views on groundsloth evolution. Our results indicate that the meat was not mammoth or megatherium, but green sea turtle Chelonia midas. The prehistoric dinner was likely an elaborate publicity stunt, now specifically the green sea turtle. This is sad. I should add that this animal is considered endangered today. I don't know what its status was in nineteen fifty one. But I'm so confused because if you're doing a hoax, why would you try to pass off sea turtle as extinct giant groundsloth meat? Why not just to use like beef for goat or something.
Speaker 2: M I guess I guess you could argue that you would want to serve something that is edible, of course, but also case different like that people are going to try it and they're not going to say, oh, this tastes just like beef, or this tastes just like chicken. They're gonna be like, what, this is a little different. This is strange. And it makes sense that it's strange because I'm eating a creature that has been extinct for so long. That being said, it seems like, are there not multiple culinary methods you could use to sort of weirden up your meat and make it taste strange, like different marinades and so forth.
Speaker 3: Probably, I mean they could be people could be like, huh, this tastes a lot like goat, but that wouldn't prove that it was goat. You could still continue your home. Maybe it's just that, yeah, mammoth meat tastes like goat.
Speaker 2: This makes me think of the whole situation of mock turtle and like trying to then replicate turtle meat by turning to other animals, Like why is the turtle wrapped up in this weird cycle of imitation meats?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay, so there's another example of people claiming that they were eating the meat of a quarter million year old organism, but in fact it was just a It was just a sea turtle for some reason. But finally, in this essay, Zawychevic comes back around to the subject of numulites mentioned earlier, because those were the remarkably preserved three dimensional fossils in that rock that he told the story about finding on the side of the road and licking to see better. Numbulites are fascinating in their own right. So numulites are a genus of for iminifer dating back millions of years, notable for their disc shaped or lins shaped shells, which are found abundantly in fossil form. The organisms themselves are single celled protozoa and they form this protective shell on the outside called a test. These tests or shells have been observed since ancient times. In fact, what's called numulitic limestone, which is that's sedimentary calcium carbonate rock from archaic seafloors, contain huge proportions of numulite fossils. Numbulytic limestone was what was quarried out by the ancient Egyptians and used to build the Pyramids of Giza. So the pyramids are made at least in part out of fossil rock containing the shells of all these organisms. And these disc shaped fossils in the pyramid blocks were noticed by the ancients, people didn't necessarily understand that they were fossilized shells of you know, trillions of single salt marine organisms. I've read elsewhere that in the fifth century BCE, the Greek historian Herodotus thought that these discs were lentils that had turned to stone. So maybe like, ooh, the people who built the pyramids so long ago, they spilled some lentils all over the place while they were building them, and now these lentils turned into rocks. But in fact they are these protozoan shells, and these shells can grow to enormous sizes in some cases for some species, especially for a single celled organism. Zawichevich mentions that I guess this would be the species. I don't know how to say this quite I think Numulitis milika put which means the thousand head nomulite. This can grow a shell sixteen centimeters in diameter. That's for a single celled organism. Wow, and these really these tough outer shells, and the size of these organisms raise questions about like what in the ocean could actually successfully eat them, and this leads down another road where where Zawichevich ends up talking about a deliciously weird obsolete thesis from a nineteenth to twentieth century British zoologist named Randolph Randolph Kirkpatrick who worked at the British Natural History Museum from eighteen eighty six to nineteen twenty seven, and in nineteen twelve Kirkpatrick published a book that was called the Numbulosphere, An Account of the Organic Origin of so called igneous rocks and abyssle red clays. And this book, while now regarded as totally wrong and based entirely on observational error and classification error in looking at the grain of rocks, seems nevertheless to hold an almost kind of cherished place in the hearts of many geologists and paleontologists. In this essay he cites Stephen J. Gould as one of these people who, like everybody knows, this thesis is totally wrong, but there's something about it that they seem to find pleasant and amusing and almost almost sweet or cute. So what did Kirkpatrick argue, Well, I want to read here from Zawichevic's summary quote. The ocean, Kirkpatrick said, is full of organisms which efficiently extract calcium, carbon and silica from the seawater to create myriad skeletons, which then go on to become geological strata. Look at thin sections of those ancient strata through a microscope and you will see traces of those skeletons, many of them, he went on to say, show the traces of the curved shells and chambers of numulites. These were not always obvious, but could be detected with the trained eye. That trained eye then put other rocks under the microscope, with just a little more training, the same shapes could be detected in all of the specimens that Kirkpatrick looked at, including in lavas, granites, and even meteorites. The inference was clear. So what was that inference? It is that all the rocks on the surface of the Earth are numbulites. The Earth itself, Kirkpatrick thought, was essentially encased in a four a miniferent test of its own. There was a shell for the planet made out of rocks that were made out of the fossilized, indigestible shells of marine organisms. From million, millions of years past, so like whatever other kind of rock you might think it is. Kirkpatrick was like, no, that's actually just a version of numulite shells that you know, looks different for some.
Speaker 2: Reason, numulites all the way down the one.
Speaker 3: I didn't get to the bottom of this, but I was wondering, wait, why did he think that about meteorites though? Did he also think there were noumulites in space or maybe he thought they didn't really come from space?
Speaker 2: Surely that I mean that also is unbelievable, but maybe less unbelievable than like, not only this world, but all worlds. It's numulites throughout the cosmos. Yeah, the idea that like, oh yeah, meteorites, that's not real. What you're looking at is nomulites.
Speaker 3: But I guess that connects to the eating fossils idea, because it's like, oh, you got these organisms, you know, candyt them, can't digest those shells. Where do they go? They end up on the bottom of the ocean, And in fact, they really do become a lot of you know, a big part of these these sedimentary fossil rocks, these limestones. But it is not the case that that all the rocks on Earth are actually from anomulites.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So, in my opinion, big props to Yen Zawachevic for this essay, which I would say it's a bull's eye on the motto of the Ignobel Prizes. Yes, this this essay has a lot of historical tidbits that are quite funny and silly, but it also made me think in numerous ways very interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, we often really enjoy an incorrect hypothesis about the natural world. You know, I instantly think to the idea of the aquatic ape, the aquatic ape hypothesis that we covered on the show a while back. You know, obviously not true, but it is intriguing to sort of dive into it and think about how, you know, people became devoted to this idea. And yeah, and then on top of this, this whole idea of just geologists tasting rocks, how that factors into their you know, their their analysis of the geology.
Speaker 3: What is the taste of the e sn epic.
Speaker 2: Ask your local geologist.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I think we're going to have to call it there, but we will be back next time to talk about more of this year's Ignobel winners. And don't worry, we are going to be talking about the nose hairs of a dead man.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, nose hairs. That may be where we start. Next time. We're going to start with the nose hair, which makes sense. They're they're right up front, as you have probably noticed in the mirror. So yeah, I hope you will join us for that episode going to be here I guess Tuesday. In the meantime, if you would like to check out other episodes of Stuff to Blow your Mind, we'll just remind you that we're primarily a science podcast. We get into you know, little history, little philosophy, a little what have you. But those core episodes are going to come out on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Mondays we do a listener mail that your chance to write in and chat with us about past, current and future episodes. On Wednesdays we do a short form artifact or monster fact episode unless it's being preempted by something, and then on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird movie on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.