Speaker 1: Jay Z was at this time buying stuff from us, and one day Biggie came in the store. He was fifteen years old and he was another one of our first customers. These kinds of stories are important because for any aspiring entrepreneur, I credit a lot of my journey to relationships, and I don't mean just texting and think. You have to be courageous enough to live in your discomfort zone, to invest into people and to look at the long game.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Ourdea Generations All Angles, a podcast about culture's most influential brands and the teams that build. If you're an entrepreneur, creative, or anyone interested in harnessing the power of collaboration, join me Noah Callahan Bever each week as we dissect the most dynamic companies in culture, because the only way to truly understand success is to look at it from all angles. Idea Generations All Angles is a Will Packer Media podcast. In nineteen eighty eight, April Walker opened Fashion and Effect, a custom clothing boutique for the burgeoning hip hop audience in New York City. In the years that followed, April would launch her own streetwear brand, Walkerware and become a pop culture phenomenon, working closely with a listers like the notorious Big Tupac and Shaquille O'Neill. But just as Walkerware started to ascend from hip hop staple to mainstream recognition, April made the shocking decision to shut down the brand. On this week's episode of All Angles, we talked to founder April Walker, assistant Miles Hopkins, lead stylist and designer Gloria Sharubin, and head of marketing Kimmia Range to hear the full story of how Walkerware became the hottest streetwear of the nineties and how the brand has re emerged today with a refreshed approach. But before any of that happened, years before Mike Tyson would hit the ring in Walkerwaar shorts or Tupac would fly her out to la for an emergency video shoot, April Walker was just a young kid moving to Harlem with her parents.
Speaker 1: My childhood was very interesting. I had a different mix. My mom is Mexican and Navajo, and my father is black Cherokee and probably Heinez fifty seven. There's probably some other things we don't know about, but it gave me a unique Lens.
Speaker 2: This is April Walker, founder of Walkerware.
Speaker 1: My father his family is from Culpepper, Virginia, and my father is an avid music lover and was part of the music industry, but growing up he just had a love for jazz and music and all the things in music. My mom is from Colorado. She was very organized, very cerebral, and just really really focused on creating a life for us in stability. My father was going to a university here in Colorado and my mom was from Colorado. Then from there we went to La. From La, we went to Harlem. We lived in Roxbury. We moved around because my father was chasing those music dreams. As a result, I got to see different backgrounds, different environments, and in your formative years, those are everything. So I think it really, you know, widened my scope, so to speak. And then I think in terms of traits, I took a little bit of both of them. Things you love and then the things you don't. But I think in my DNA, being as organized and as focused as possible is important, and at the same time, creating is just in my bones and just making and moving towards your dreams.
Speaker 2: Creativity and organization serves as the two main pillars in the Walker household. But then April's father opened her eyes to another world, entrepreneurship.
Speaker 1: My father was always finding ways to connect us with the arts, whether it was dance lessons or music lessons or acting lessons, all these different things that we grew up participating in. And he always had these great cocomanni ideas that were like, oh my god, so embarrassing as a kid, but looking back in hindsight, I know he was just trying to spark that imagination and create possibilities in our minds. One year, it was the bi centennial. It was huge. It was nineteen seventy six, I believe, and it was two hundred years they were celebrating. My father said, we're gonna make some shirts and go out and sell them for the bi centennial. And I'm like, how he said, We're going to create a design and then we're gonna make it. So we actually did that. We created a design that celebrated the bi centennial. And then he took me and dragged me to Pearl Paint, which was it's legendary in New York for any artist, and it really just had everything in there that a creator would want we picked out paints for the shirts, we picked out colors, we actually had a silk screen made with our design, and then we went home and we stayed up all night and we actually made those shirts. We bought the shirts. We actually had to use the screegee and actually manufacture them by hand and make all of these shirts. And then the next day we went to the bi centennial and actually sold the shirts. And as a kid, it was very jolting. It was very kind of embarrassing because you know, you're doing something different. No one else is out there doing that, they're enjoying it, and you're out there hustling, so to speak. But what it did would show us shewed me because we sold all the shirts and I remember him like with a wide showing it to me, like you see this, this is what you just did. That always stuck with me.
Speaker 2: April went on to college, but the creativity instilled in her by her parents and the idea that she could make a living from her own creations would supersede anything that she could learn in the classroom.
Speaker 1: By the time I got to college, I knew I didn't want to work for someone else, but I didn't know what it would be. I was going to school for business and communications, and one time I thought I might be a broadcaster. I wasn't sure. I was definitely interested in electronic media, so I was taking some courses there as well. But I was always innately into fashion. I never owned it, but looking back, there were clues. I want, you know, best dressed, saved all my tags and would put them on the wall, and all of these things. I was different. I would try something different in fashion ever since I can remember.
Speaker 2: April's pulled towards entrepreneurship naturally led her interest in college to win.
Speaker 1: I was in my junior year in college and I basically told my dad that I don't want to go back to school. And he looked at me and he was taken aback, and he said, why you know? And I pointed to this girl that was on the phone booth.
Speaker 3: She was in a phone booth and she had on like some big ear rings and bamboos, and her jacket was all studed up and crystals and writing all over.
Speaker 1: It was really cool. I said, that's what I want to do. And he said to me, not too long ago, he told me this story, and he was like, I looked at that Jackson, and I was like, that's whack. But I didn't say it out loud. He said, but I thought it, but I couldn't say it because who was I, you know, because he was a creator too, so he supported me on it.
Speaker 2: I think the support of her father was massive, but an encounter with a one of a kind fashion icon would be the turning point for April.
Speaker 1: One night, I was at the Powow Theater and after my friends and I we walked over to Deva Danda. It was this Willy Wonka for me, a fabulosity of everything that wasn't being created in the stores for us, and he was doing these one of the cons that were incredible, that was speaking to my tribe, my culture, and I wanted in. You know, at that time, the world was very different and I was very much still Brooklyn. I hadn't seen the whole world, so Burrows were everything to me. You know, you had all these pockets. I just wanted to rep for Brooklyn at that moment and create for my tribe, and so successfully is Clues and that's what happened. I reverse engineered into it from the north Star of hip hop, and I started creating things that spoke to me that I felt the music was there, but we didn't have the uniforms, and I just wanted to create what I was feeling and pour that out.
Speaker 2: With a spark of inspiration from Dapper Dain and the unwavering support of her father, April decided to leave school early, and even though she had two secure job opportunities in front of her, April instead opted to sign a lease on a small retail space for seven hundred and fifty dollars a month and to start her own brand.
Speaker 1: I got called for two state jobs, I think while I was in college. I applied for. One was the fire department, another one was corrections. I got called right when I was signing the lease, and I remember my mom was so destroyed because those were considered good jobs. Everybody thought I was crazy, except for my dad. I remember one time in the beginning going to the fashion industry and getting a role of fabric, and I can remember us being on the train carrying a big role of fabric home. So he was always like cheerleading.
Speaker 2: As April started her boutique fashion in effect, she knew hip hop would be her north star and set out to build a wardrobe for the co.
Speaker 1: The magnet was hip hop and our little shot Fashion and Effect was literally a hole in the wall that we created with a homemade signs. We didn't have money for a sign, so we made our own sign. We went back to our Pearl paints and we got this phone board. It was maybe We made it about six feet, We connected it. We painted it Fashion and Effect with like this.
Speaker 4: I druid this like graffitiish style and colors neon colors, and we hung it up over the glass storefront and in the storefront we would hang up different airbrush, sweatshirts, different cool outfits that.
Speaker 1: We were making.
Speaker 2: April started to buy fabrics, textiles, and machinery needed for her cutt and sew operation and recruited other creatives to help bring her vision to life.
Speaker 1: We amassed a tribe of like minds. And with those like minds, I think when your passion is fueling you so so much, you can figure out the rest because you can look at models that created. And while we didn't have any models there in what we were doing, we did have Dapper Dan. So I knew, Okay, I have to buy jukie machines and I have to buy industrial singer machines, and then the rest was just figure it out. So there was the New York Times would have a liquidation section. That's how I got my singers and my jokies because I couldn't afford that out the box. And then I created a cutting table. But that was literally like putting a big piece of wood and polishing it and stabilizing that, and that became our cutting table and just really figuring it out and making something out of nothing. That's exactly what we did.
Speaker 2: April started creating and selling one of a kind statement pieces right there in her shop. In addition to being her production facility in retail space, Fashion Effect also became a staple hangout in Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: When you came in the store and then entry way to your right would have one wall that had a big dog on it with the hat to the back that said FIE, which stood for Fashion and Effect, and then he had a big clock on that said don't believe the hype. The dog the had gold teeth in his mouth like it was a whole vibe. And when you came in, we had Marcus and you had to tag your name on the wall. So at one point the whole wolf was tagged up around this dog, and then to your left when you came in was a actual cool sofa that we made. And then we had these showcases that we got from liquidation and we would have beeper covers and little trinkets that you could buy. So for the people that couldn't afford something really expensive, we had low hanging fruit and spontaneous purchases in the front. But we didn't know that was the terminology. Then we just knew we had to pay our rent, so we had to figure how different way to do that. So we were like, everyone can't afford in a suit for X amount. We made fashion and effect T shirts as well, and we sold those and that those had the dog on it.
Speaker 2: With a store on Point, April expanded her team of creatives to help produce bold and beautiful pieces that would become synonymous with nineties hip hop.
Speaker 1: I had a great, amazing artist named Linda Avery. She was from Pittsburgh. She actually came up and stayed with us and started doing the acrylic painting in the air brushing. And then we had someone who worked with us. His name was Woody and he worked with shirt Kings as well, and he was doing a lot of airbrushing for us as well. We also borrowed a few of Dapper Dane's tailors, and so we had tailors that already understood the culture and were able to make leather or dentim or whatever we needed. And it was great because they were able to teach me as I was learning. I knew business, and I knew how to go get sales, but I didn't understand everything needed. Like at first my needles were breaking a lat because I had the wrong needles and machines, all these little things. Help having someone that was experienced to make the things that were in our heads and pour it out into the world.
Speaker 2: Slowly but surely, Fashionate and effect became the place to be with a team of creatives in place. April also started recruiting assistants and other local kids to help her out and began another crucial part of her story, mentorship.
Speaker 5: I started working with April as her assistant. April has this way of kind of like getting everybody involved in every part of the business.
Speaker 2: This is Gloria Shrubin, once April's assistant and eventually one of her lead stylist and designers.
Speaker 5: She was a great teacher in that respect and just kind of like schooling me and just grooming me for the apparel industry and just really kind of understanding what it is to build a brand, brand management. I've always been this kind of like a low key fashionista, really into just like design and fashion and just style and wardrobing. April was like a family friend, so I kind of grew up under her tutelage for years, just kind of watching her develop her business. In my old personal journey, I was actually in undergrad studying to.
Speaker 1: Go to law school.
Speaker 5: I got my degree in political science. You know, I had these dreams and aspirations of being an attorney. I just wanted, as a young black female coming out of the hood, just I wanted an industry that was going to make me a lot of money.
Speaker 6: That was really my attitude.
Speaker 5: And you know, law was what seemed like the best thing for me because everyone was like, you talk well, you know, you argue, well, you are a great liar. So and you know, I had a knack for school was really easy for me, reading a lot of books on policy size, really a lot of study around history.
Speaker 6: But in my last year, unfortunately I lost my mom.
Speaker 5: In undergrad and I'd worked through school anyway, so I was always working. April was like, hey, you know you should come work for me. You know, you got a lot of swag and style, you know what I'm saying. I like the way you put things together just to really be a great learning experience.
Speaker 6: So I was like, okay, cool. You know, I definitely loved what she did.
Speaker 5: Loved just kind of being around and had the ability and access because you know, I gotta hung out with her.
Speaker 6: Little sisters and we were just all kind of friends.
Speaker 2: As Gloria found her role on the team, April empowered her and looked to Gloria's youthful perspective to lead the way on projects.
Speaker 5: Day one was herd just kind of like grooming me and teaching me how to just kind of like understand what she needed me to do. I remember her taking me to the garment district and at that time, you could swatch fat and she was just like, I want anything that stands out to you for you to grab now. Mind you, I have no background, no formal training in anything fash I just know how to wear a flashit.
Speaker 6: I'm a big brand or you know what I'm saying. From a thousands.
Speaker 5: I felt like I had that, but I just felt it was something that was and anything that I was trained I with, which is something that I was just naturally gifted with.
Speaker 6: So her identified that. She she puts me in the stores for hours.
Speaker 5: I'm going through all this fabrics, watching all this stuff, and we finally get back to the office. She had like stacks of magazines, every WWD, every GQ, everything anything you can think of, just like high fashion magazines. So this she's like, I want you to go through these magazines and attack the fabric that you picked to some of the looks that were in the magazines, Like so I can kind of like identify what fabrics would work well with what designs. I did this for hours, but it was such a great path because it forced me to kind of see what she saw. Because from that point on, my main focus in work was always to kind of like work with her clients in like the sales capacity. She had like these great books that were filled with silhouettes and designs or options that they had, and then it was like these watchbooks of just all these different fabrics. So my job would be to sit with the client and allow them to mix and match. So this task of just kind of like, you know, seeing it that she would critique it, well, why would you put this?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 6: It was it was really a learning experience. It grew me for that role.
Speaker 2: As Fashion and Effect continued to make a name for itself, a placement on an album cover was about to take the business to a whole nother level and open additional revenue streams.
Speaker 1: So with Fashion and Effect, it literally became this best kept secret that finally wasn't a secret. You know. We were making a lot of clothes, and we were making them to the point where one day Audio two came in the store and they wanted outfits made for their next album cover, and they wanted somebody from Brooklyn to make them, and they asked if I could make them, and I said sure, fingers crossed behind my back, you know. But it worked out, and that album cover was I Don't Care and it was a crashed up Benz And they had outfits and they did some turke Kings, did some artwork from one of the moment I did the suits, and that was the start of it. Then they came back and they asked you style a video. I had no experience in styling. But I found out what styling was. I told them I could do the video, and I did a video, and from that video, I created a new revenue stream. And I said, this is going to be another revenue stream for us, and I created a styling division. So from that we started styling.
Speaker 2: However, April's rise was anything but straightforward. Breaking into any market is hard, but even more challenging as a young black woman in a male dominated industry.
Speaker 1: A lot of companies were afraid of a very young person. And at that time I was hip hop out and I was twenty one, and I was a woman, and being a young woman in an all male dominated industry was a lot different. And then I was blexicin so I didn't really look like the norm of the fashion industry or speak that language. So that was another factor, right. What I didn't I was naive to fear and it served me well because I never thought this isn't going to happen. It was like, it will happen.
Speaker 2: April did break through and in a big way. Soon Fashion and Effect became the place for up and coming rappers to get custom outfits, and the who's who of New York hip hop would seek out April for their fits.
Speaker 1: I'm always looking for ways to expand my spider web or be the octopus, because I understand that, you know, this is a foundation, but we have to have different tentacles in order to grow. So as long as it's coming from the same base and we can handle it. And that was unnatural to me because it allowed us not only to style other artists, but to become bigger with marketing using a bullhorn by artists working with artists, and so now they became our tribe and so to speak. And they were telling two people right. Jay Z was at this time buying stuff from us and Jazz and then Shaggy and shine Head. Those were two big artists from Brooklyn. And one day Biggie came in the store. He was fifteen years old and he was another one of our first customers. He saw Rabi and rock Keemp shirt and Houdini shirt that we airbrushed in the window and stopped. And I'd see him in the neighborhood because we lived in the same neighborhood. I'd see him hanging out, but I didn't know him, just to give each other not But when he came in to story recognized me and he asked, is this your shop? And it marked a conversation and I found out he was into music, and you know, we just started talking about all things hip hop and that became our into section. He was always calm, collective, but he was witty, He was funny, and he always made you feel like family. You know. He was just really cool. He was cool with everybody. He had a charisma about him that was special. He also was like you knew like you didn't want to mess with Biggie, you know what I mean at the same time because of his tribe, but he never gave that off. It was just like you just knew he was from Brooklyn, and Brooklyn was different, you know what I mean. But he was a good he was He was a really nice guy. He was super talented, super focused and confident and when he signed to that boy, he never forgotten was You know, these kinds of stories are important because for any aspiring entrepreneur, young person or entrepreneur that's out there. I credit a lot of my journey to relationships, and I don't mean just texting. I think you have to be courageous enough to live in your discomfort zone to invest into people and to look at the long game. And so a lot of these artists that are mega artists right now were not then. Like Biggie didn't even have a deal. You know, he was fifteen, he had a dream, but I saw how gifted he was and I believed in him. You know. So I think that when you're authentic and you really believe in someone and they believe in you, as you rise, you rise together.
Speaker 5: April was really iconic in what I would always refer to as brand leveraging, you know, really knowing how to see what was coming up next in the hip hop industry, who the talent was, and really building her product on them to build more notoriety for her brand, whether it was run DMC, was Biggie, it was pop. You know, really knowing where to be, how to be and really kind of getting that product in those places was really her art to me.
Speaker 2: After its first year, Fashion and Effect was still in business, which was a big win for April and her team, but the margins that come with custom work are thin, and Fashion Effect was far from being really profitable.
Speaker 1: I think that first year, like none of us were getting paid. It was shoe string, But I remember the first year, I found some books and I think we made like maybe eighty We made eighty something thousand the first year, and that was like huge for me because that was back in the day, and we made a lot of mistakes that first year, so it encouraged me to do the second year.
Speaker 2: As April continued to grow fashion and effect land placements with celebrities and style artists, she realized that the one of a kind business model was very limiting and to truly expand she would need her own branded clothing line.
Speaker 1: I think that what we noticed was some of the artists, some of our customers would come in and ask for the things that we were making for the artists in videos. So we knew, okay, we have something because he did the same things we made this rough and rugged suit. It was a heavy denim suit that we made, and we were doing a lot of experimenting at that time with the Lore, So we were doing a lot of buckets with Gentimen the Lore, and a lot of suits with Gentimen Thelore, and a lot of contrast stitching so that it would match up with the Timberlain. So all of these things became like we caught on like a fire. It just started like people would ask for the same things. So that became our proof of concept and that's what led us to believe we need to do our own line and just go for it.
Speaker 2: April did decide to go for it and created her eponymous brand, walker Wear. At the same time, another pivotal member of the Walkerware team was about to enter the fold.
Speaker 7: I grew up in Springfield, Massachusetts, and I was able to go to New York often and dance on broadways.
Speaker 2: This is Kim your Range, an assistant to April and eventually the head of marketing and promotion for Walkerware.
Speaker 7: I danced from three to probably fifteen years old, so I really had some opportunities that I did not realize was not a normal thing growing up until you.
Speaker 1: Know, I got to college, I think, and.
Speaker 7: Really started to meet people from all over. Then I went on to University of Massachusetts. That's where I met my friend m J who introduced me to the Walker family, and that's how I started connecting with April and we started going to New York for our spring breaks, and that's how my connection to Walkerware began. When we started going to New York. At that time, her business was fashion and effect. I got to assist on a photo shoot she was working on. She definitely takes the time to teach you each moment to teach a bo moment with her, because you know, she could definitely if she wanted to.
Speaker 1: Eat, sleep, and drink the business.
Speaker 7: So then a couple of years later she started to build Walkerware, and when I had graduated from college, I had the opportunity to move to New York City and then was able to support her in the Walkerware journey.
Speaker 2: Can you move to New York and brought with her some experience that would be pivotal to the growth of Walkerware.
Speaker 7: I was just coming off of a job working with Russell Stover's Candies, and I had learned how to be organized because for me, I had not had a supervisor that lived in.
Speaker 1: The same state as me.
Speaker 7: I was fortunate to get a car with this job, so that was pretty much my office, where my foul cabinets was in the trunk of the car. So my organization in that sales realm was very key. And then being able to take over if necessary, like when April wasn't available to be in a place, especially like with some styling job opportunities there. I was able to step in also even with buyers.
Speaker 6: Have that conversation with Walker Ware.
Speaker 2: April's goal was to spread the brand beyond the confines of a brick and mortar store. So, Kim, you began to oversee marketing and took a page from the music industry playbook.
Speaker 7: That was the whole goal is, you know, promotions, sales, all the connections for the marketing of the brand.
Speaker 1: It pretty much.
Speaker 7: Consisted of marketing this closing line like it was a record.
Speaker 1: Label, I remember.
Speaker 7: So we just pretty much was taken to the streets, you know, like this street teams. It was a bunch of dedicated young people, pretty much interns that would get out there at the different events and pretty much flood the areas with all the different promotions that were going on. We would get behind the bad Boy Street Team. They'd be on the big megaphone shouting out bad Boy, and I would just tap him on the shoulder and ask them to shout out walk Away as well. So just again taking advantage of opportunity with the relationships that we were building out there.
Speaker 1: Keimya was excellent. She was on that same page. She was great at marketing and sales. She was a people's person. She built up relationships. She was really good. I could pass the ball to her and then she would cultivate those relationships because at one point I just got really busy as we were surfling. Up were my responsibilities. So that's where Kimya came in to play with the marketing, the PR and really dealing with people.
Speaker 2: With Kimmia on the ground handling marketing NYC. Other opportunities across the country started to pop up, like a job for a certain West Coast MC that would put Gloria through a whirlwind of a weekend.
Speaker 5: All I remember is April Quala being like, Yo, there's a jet leaving in like two hours. We need everybody at the house, you know, with a bag coop. You gotta fly to La and do this video shoot.
Speaker 6: And it was there was no question. You're just was like okay.
Speaker 5: You know, it becomes that common space where it's not just like limits just being in New York. You know what I'm saying is a video shoot. We you know, got tasked for the style of job. I can't remember what Phombi was, but there was a song with Pop Casey and Jojo. We got to squeeze into a limousine with sub Knight and pop.
Speaker 6: It's me Jackie April, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And this guy's a big guy and they looking at me like you the youngest. You gotta sit and foot is on my lap the whole ride, you know, from Clinton Hills to some private runway in Jersey and I'm sitting there like a punk. It doesn't pay being the new beat in this situation, you know what I'm saying. But this is the work, you know, all right? So we touched ground that to Melleblee. They set us up for the night next day, spent the whole day shopping to shoot a video on the beach.
Speaker 1: It was like.
Speaker 6: Seventy two hours from hell, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: It just like getting it in, doing the work, blah blah blah, and then on a plane back to New York, like this is what needed to be done, this is what we had to do, and there was no questions asked. So those eleventh hour industry calls, it was like normal stuff that just happened, because that's how the industry ran, you know.
Speaker 2: The co signs from artists like Chupac and Viggie walk Away had become a premier brand in hip hop and soon it would become more the most desired street wear brands for celebrities all over the world.
Speaker 7: There are so many different people, even, you know, with the Lea, we worked with her doing her first video and her photo shoot, being able to place some walk Aware products on her.
Speaker 1: And then Gary Payton we did a whole shoot with him with the SuperSonics.
Speaker 7: I remember making some pants for Shaq for All.
Speaker 1: Star Mike Tyson. He wore our stuff in the ring. That was probably one of our biggest collapse. I became the first American designer besides sports like they were doing Everlast, but as a designer, I was the first to hit the heavyweight ring. So that was really a big moment in Walkaware's career. He was famous for wearing his towel out, but he wore a towel with the W W double XL on it and the shorts and the sneakers, so it was huge, you know.
Speaker 7: It was just amazing, I think for me seeing a bad boy. When they had their first advertisement in Billboard and it was in the McDonald's setup and it was Craig Mack had on the Walkaware hockey jersey and it was Puffy and Biggie in that ad.
Speaker 1: That was amazing.
Speaker 7: Because that was one of my first placements for Walkaware. So it's like, you don't know where to end up, but when it does, it's like wow. But it's the relationship because they had to pick it up and say this is what I'm aware.
Speaker 2: So it seemed like Walkerware was being worn by every celebrity. Behind the scenes, the finances remained a struggle. This battle between creating for fun and creating for profits was taking a toll on.
Speaker 1: April the nineties, the Golden era was so magnetic, it was so electric, and it was magical. And then at the same time, I started when I was twenty one, and it literally was like eighteen hour days. I want to say six days a week, but it might have been even seven times. And then we started growing. Our growth accelerated fast, and there were a few almost deals, you know, where I did licensing and it fell through or it didn't happen. So I was independent. I've been independent my whole life, but you can imagine financially, it was a huge burden and blessing. And then I had a mass of staff. So I had a lot so starting from a creative lens to becoming management and leadership and not being able to do as much creative as you want because now you're running a whole corporation, making all these decisions, learning about licensing, learning about production, learning about marketing, learning all these different things. I was at the helm of that universe, and then I was watching the actual industry unfold, and if I'm honest, it became something I didn't like. Over time, it just really became about the money.
Speaker 7: The downfall might have been not having as much money as you'd like to have, but eventually.
Speaker 1: The money came.
Speaker 7: But I think that was probably the downfall.
Speaker 1: We were so young.
Speaker 7: I just think we were just for me, not being from New York being.
Speaker 1: Able to be in that element. Urban fashion became oversaturated, buyers became groupies, Artists wanted in I have no problems with music artists becoming their own brands and wanting to monetize every aspect of their business. But if you're going to do that, you have to take it serious and create the teams around it that understand those industries so you can be taken serious. And at that time, I'll say that some of that was not happening. A lot of that was not happening, and so as a result, it was hurting the industry because it truly became a numbers game. Fashion designers that you really had awesome designs for being overlooked. It was so lights camera action that there was little substance, but the hype without substance, it's not sustainable. And I saw the beginning of the incoming and that along with becoming burnt out over time. By the time ninety nine hit, people felt like I was at the top of my game because it looked like that from the outside, but I was miserable. I felt the weight of the world on my shoulder. I had a New York office, a New York show room, Vegas had an LA It was just a lot going on, and I was tired. I was really tired. I was almost afraid to walk away because April Walker was so ingrained at the point with walk Away like synonymous, and I was like, what would I do after? But that's why I had to walk away. I need to breathe, and I needed to know that's just what I did and that I could be good without it, because I wasn't really happy at that point. I was definitely to the world in perception winning, but winning has a different meaning for me. I'm real clear, I'm not now, and at that time it was becoming great and I wanted to really have clarity. So I made the decision at the height of the brand to just take pause, pause, Let's just pause and really like breathe. I knew I wasn't taking care of myself. I wasn't doing the things I was supposed to. It was a lot given all of this time and energy to the love of my business, but I was out of sync with the alignment of myself, my mind, my body, and my soul.
Speaker 2: So I chose that with walk Away on Hold, April found opportunities working with other brands, but more importantly, she finally put her own health and wellness, both physical and mental first.
Speaker 1: I paused walk Away and put it on the shelf, and then did some things I always wanted to try. So by this time I knew licensing really well. I did a bunch of stuff, and then in the interim of all of that stuff, I got a lot of rest. I think ninety nine to two thousand and I was the vice president at that farm with Russell Simmons and really was overseeing all of his licenses. So me navigating through all of these different licensees and contracts and magic, it was just a whole different lens that helped me grow. And then from there I went to AND one and I developed a woman's line for AND One. From there, I did some costume war droveing, and I did some merchandising with Errika Badu. And these were projects that I did in between finding myself and having conversations with God and just taking breaks and getting into nature and really embracing my spirituality and really figuring out why I got to the point of burnout, why I had to walk away. I feel like I really had really grown spiritually and got to a good place of really nourishing my mind, my body, my soul, and it was great. So I started consulting and that's literally how a walker group started. So really cool projects, all very different, but one thing I realized what consulting is. You can consult and they can pay you, but when clients don't take your advice, it's very frustrating and you see them hitting the wall and you're like, oh, if I only had my own brand, and I realized I do, and that is what inspired me to start walk Away again. That with the fact that we're in the digital era and I could really manage my stress, I could create the life I wanted to. I could really do all the things. I could sell one piece or one thousand pieces at a time. It's just how fast I want to put my foot on the gas pedal because you can really write your own ticket and story. With the internet now, direct to consumer has changed the game for all creators. And that's literally how I looked at it. Once I saw what social media and the Internet could do, I said, I want to start creating again. And that's how it started. So I think at two and eleven I started privately started doing product development, and by I think twenty twelve, twenty and thirteen, that's when I started really showing it again. It was a big learning curve because I didn't beat my chest until about maybe two thousand and fifteen and sixteen. We were selling, we were doing pop ups, we were doing different things or again, and I had to go through about three different web developers because you know, it was new, it was new for me and it was still newer than it is now. I didn't even know about Shopify things like that, which is the ended up being our you know, server for where we do our business. At that time, I just wanted to automate everything that I could, because coming back I wanted to be lean and mean and walk away was not going to be the only thing that I did. It was very inspiring to be able to create again. When I got on social media. There were people from all over the world that were hitting us like, hey, thank you for your contributions, y'alla y'all and really just really gracious and accolades and remembering me. And then I realized how cool the tool could be if I learned it. So part of me creating was one thing, but also challenging myself to step into social media, into technology and embrace it as part of business was another. To learn it because I had the experience, but if I could grab the technology and marry that, I feel like I had an advantage because I have a real story with a lot of history.
Speaker 2: Social media had changed the fashion industry. In order to catch up, April do what she's always done, surrounded herself with young creatives who would act as reverse mentors.
Speaker 1: The fashion industry when I started. It wasn't an industry when I started. Now there are so many different players, so that part was different, and they are way more distractions. That's different where you were networking a lot more. I was a lot younger, so I was write that trial like I knew it inside out. It's different now, you know, I have to do way more work to know it. And I really believe in reverse mentorship because I think that we all can grow from each other generations. Why so I keep young people around me because they keep me informed and I get to know how their minds so thinking.
Speaker 8: And I knew April before the high school. April was you know April. I always call her the mayor of Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: This is Miles Hopkins and assisted for April at the revived Walkerware.
Speaker 8: And she doesn't agree, but I always find it funny. It's like a little joke between us. April knows everybody, and April and my mom actually go back since they were kids. They kind of grew up in the same neighborhood. I didn't really know about the Walkerware side of things until I got older, because you know, as a kid, it was just somebody that I know through my mom. Walkerware was just one of those things that when I did finally like get to know, I was just very shocked by how many people wore it. April is one of those people that's like extremely humble, but people will run up to her on the streets and just you know, tell her like how much she means to the community of fashion and just like to the world. Like her imprint not only on fashion but just on the world is amazing. And the fact that people just recognize it years later. April believes in reverse mentorship, and like that's kind of the way that Walkerware has been successful over all those years because April really listens to her customers and the people around her.
Speaker 2: Sue Miles was setting up photo shoots for April, and by bringing in young creatives to guide her, Walkerware continues to be ahead of the curve.
Speaker 8: I got a chance to more so like curate a lot of our photo shoots with some of our younger talent, Like I worked with guys like Nico Brimm, Jordan Beckford, CJ.
Speaker 6: Wallace and Josh Russa.
Speaker 8: I also want to say for you guys, like please keep those guys like on the map for you they're very interesting young gentlem men and they're on the rise. Not only did I just do the photo shoots and like kind of curate them and see to it that they would get done. I did a lot of Instagram outreach to some of our other like younger followers, and we just tried to find people that aligned a little bit more with our brand. It's so surreal to just see how much like people really genuinely like gravitate towards the brand once they meet the owner. You know, April is like one of the most authentic people on the planet. So no matter who you are, she you know, she always gives you love.
Speaker 2: As April continues the mentor and reverse mentor, she's always ready to offer advice to the younger generation of entrepreneurs.
Speaker 1: I would tell my younger self as an entrepreneur, study your money and understand that this is a business. Because most of us are creative. We cannot take the attitude of its creative and we'll get to the business later. Oh, I'll just hire people for that. No, understand that this is a business. Study money. Don't be the smartest person in the world. You want to surround yourself by people that are smarter than you and will make you stand on your tippy toes so that you can continue to grow, to elevate, to empower each other, and to lift up your tribe. At the same time, as a.
Speaker 2: April looks to the future, the mission remains the same, teach, learn and empower the next generation of creatives.
Speaker 1: Walk Away as a legacy brand, I want to continue that creating. We have some really cool collaborations set up. Next year is fifty years in hip Hop, so I'm going to be doing a collaboration with Universal Hip Hop Museum and some other cool collapse I can't really talk about yet, but you'll see those. I'm starting a digital academy, really excited about that because it's for makers, entrepreneurs, creators, and they really hands on experience. So just really the thing that I'm passionate about is impacting as many people as I can with the experience I have while I'm visiting this earth, you know. And so that's my trajectory work moving forward.
Speaker 2: Walkerwaar's story is one of true entrepreneurship, creativity, and dedication to the culture. When April wanted a space to celebrate the hip hop world she loved, she went out and got her own store. When she desired new designs, she created her own line Along the Way. April assembled a team of all Stars and Gloria and Kimya, and continues her mentorship today by helping young creatives.
Speaker 1: Like Miles.
Speaker 2: And Through it all, the north Star has always remained hip hop, creating a space for her tribe to be seen, heard and worn her Idea Generation. I'm Noah Callahan Bever. Thanks for listening to the All Angles Pod presented by will Packer Media. If you've enjoyed this episode, please don't hesitate to like, comment DM, or tell a friend to tell a friend about Idea Generation and the All Angles Podcast. This episode was brought to you by Will Packer Executive produced by John Valachick and Helena Os, Original music by Valentine Fritz, edit and sound mixed by Nonsensible Production, and hosted by me Idea Generation founder Noah Callahan Bever. Idea Generations All Angles is a Will Packer Media podcast