Speaker 1: You're listening to the Buck Sexton Show podcast. Make sure you subscribe to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Everybody, welcome to a special Buck Brief. We're joined by my friend Josh Hammer. He's the senior editor at large at Newsweek. Also you can listen to the Josh Hammer podcast. Appreciate you being with me.
Speaker 1: Josh anytime, Bob, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Can we just start with him? And what are your thoughts as to where the conflict right now with Israel and Hamas stands? What are the primary you know, what's top of mind for you as we're getting ready for this ground invasion to likely happen, and you know the US response. Just walk me through. What do you think is most pertinent?
Speaker 1: Well, I think what's most pertinent is the fact that this thing already feels ridiculously overheated all around the world on the domestic front, all the vile you hatred we're seeing on college campuses, the Prohamas rallies, disgusting stuff, and it really hasn't even started yet. And the IDF has been involved in bombing targets inside Gaza where Harmas is storing cakes of weaponry and missiles and all of that, But the ground invasion hasn't start yet. This thing is very far from over. And the million dollar question Buck and I suspect one of the numerous reasons that the IDF has not actually sent the tanks rolling into Gaza yet is what happens on then northern front, where you have Hesbala, which is a direct Iranian proxy, the SCHII terror militia. They have one hundred to one hundred and fifty thousand precision guided missiles, is the intelligence community's estimate of that. That's like a serious weaponry, and Hesbala has a much more sophisticated arsenal than Hamas you know, there's not much of a question to whether the IDF can handle both, but it's clearly a less than ideal situation. And then from an American perspective, obviously we have multiple aircraft carrier striker groups from the region now. They are there primarily to deter Hesbala and by extension, the Islamic Republic of Iran itself. So the real question is what if anything, would actually escalate direct American involvement at this point, because right now we know we have Jaysock. We have you know, hostage evacuation specialists there on the grounds working with the IDF. But what I'm you know, what I'm thinking about is if hes Bola starts raining down missiles into Israel, is that enough to get the US aircraft carriers involved. I'm not sure yet, but it's a very fluid situation. It's changing day by day. Personally, I just can't believe that the ground invasion has actually not actually started yet. I suspect the hostages have a lot to do with that. Thank god, we saw some more hostages released earlier today. But I suspect things are going to be very kinetic over the next thirty six to forty eight hours.
Speaker 2: What do you make of whether it's Joe Biden or you might have seen this a Barack Obama statement that he put out this constant reminding that's what they're that's even how they will say it, reminding of Israel to abide by the laws of war in this response to the worst terror attacks since nine to eleven, Like, where where is that coming from?
Speaker 1: I mean it's offensive, right, I mean if this notion and you know it's funny, Israel is the old country. I forgot who said this, But Israel's the only country that whenever they get involved in a military conflict, immediately they are told you can't actually win that military conflict. Literally as soon as Israel suffers an attack and they start to go on the counter offensive. It seems like the international community and the all the talking heads, you know, all the usual suspects in Turtle Bay, in New York and Brussels, the European Union, Geneva, like all the usual liberal globalist idiots, they immediately start talking about a quote unquote proportionate response. Oh, you know, day, are Israel possibly violate international law? Well, obviously what we refer to as international law should be abided by. But by the way international law is, it's not a very straightforward concept. It's not like there's like one legislature that codifies international law. But you know, the IDF is one of the most you know, law abiding, frankly, just above and beyond moral fighting forces in the world. I mean, the rules of engagement that the IDF has put on themselves. I mean, Buck, you know this, but you know better than most in our business. The rules of engagement that the IDEF puts on themselves Hamstring themselves are really above and beyond what virtually any other military in the world does. They literally drop leaflets from their planes to civilians in the buildings and gaza telling them we are about to bomb here, get the hell out. They don't have to do that. I mean, according to international law, those civilians there are Hamas's fault if they are going to be any civilian casualty. So it's ridiculously condescending, honestly, to get back to your question there. But unfortunately for Israel, I think it's nothing new. It's been this way for a while.
Speaker 2: Now. How do you think the Biden White House has responded so far?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean they were strong out of the gate right, I mean in those first five to six days. I mean, his rhetoric was strong. In fact, I think it was so strong that some schools in Israel started as signing Biden's speech. I think it was a week and a half ago, or so two weeks about this point. It's hard to keep track, but he had that first kind of big speech from the White House. I heard that some schools in Israel started signing that speech in English language's homework for English class because Israel were so impressed by it. Unfortunately, Buck, you know, for those of us who are a little more sober and I you know, I dare I say practical with their eyes wide open, we knew that things would start to change very quickly. And as soon as he started to fly over there, you know, the public optics of him kind of doing that big bear hug with Prime Minister nets and Yahu at Bengorian Airport. There's always strings attached to this. I mean, the United States gives Israel a lot of money, and in exchange for that, they wanted to try to hamstring the rules of engagement of the IDF and basically keep them on a short string. I mean, I think that one of the many reasons why the IDF has not gone into Gaza yet is because the US and laughably Qatar is actually serving as a hostage intermediary despite being a major funder of Hamas. I think that the US and also then Qatar are putting a lot of pressure on the IDF to not actually go into Gaza there. So it's not great. The rhetoric when it comes to Gaza has still been mostly okay, but I think it's worth noting that they've said virtually nothing about Iran. And you can't talk about Hamas without talking about Iran because Hamas has Valla. All these terrorist proxies in the region are basically just tentacles of the broader, sprawling Islamic Republic of Iran terrorist infrastructure. I've heard virtually nothing about Iran. I have no idea what the US is going to do in response this when it comes to kind of amping up the sanctions, when it comes to cracking down on terror financing, cutting off Iranian banks from Western financial institutions. Are we going to seize vessels if they're trying to ship weapons? I mean, there's all sorts of things. I haven't heard anything about that. And then Katar itself, which I mentioned is a major funder of Hamas. Qatar Buck was designated by the US as a major non NATO ally just last year. And like I saw, Anthony Blincoln was there meeting with the emir in Doha like a week and a half ago. I mean, like, what the hell. So the rhetoric is okay when it comes to Gaza, but as far as the whole region is concerned, I see very little reason for optimism.
Speaker 2: Josh want to come back and ask what you think happens if Israel's war in Gaza is successful, which is a in which I assume it will be. But it's essentially the what next, right, what comes next? I want to get into that with you here. But first off, from our sponsor, My Pillow. You know Michael and Dell and ven the My Pillow twenty years ago and he created this amazing company that started with one product, and that was so many household products. But you know, innovation, it's the key to everything in the business world. And My Pillow two point zero is out now. The My Pillow two point zero has the patented adjustable fill of the original MyPillow, but now has fabric that has made with temperature regulating thread. It makes the My Pillow two point oh the softest, smoothest, coolest pillar you'll ever own. They're they're on sale right now fifty percent off. The Queen Size My Pillow two point oh is thirty nine ninety nine. The King Size My Pillow is just ten dollars more. Go to my Pillow dot com click on the radio listener special square to get the Queen Size My Pillow two point zero for thirty nine ninety nine and the king size for ten dollars more. Enter my name Buck as your promo code. That's my pillow dot com promo code. Buck, get that my pillow two point zero. You are going to get a great night sleepering. Love it all right, Josh. So, if Hamas is destroyed, which is you know, reigns to be seen and and you know, destroyed to what level? But effectively, if Israel goes in and does what I believe it should do and is trying to do, which is destroy Hamas as a terrorist entity operating in Gaza, what happens? Who's in charge of Gaza? What do you think the Israeli end state is going to be?
Speaker 1: So this is the million dollar question, Buck. I mean, you know, on my own show, I had a guest signer alert today, I actually asked him this very question. I mean, I don't think anyone knows. I mean, I hate to say it like that, but I don't think anyone has a crystal clear idea as to what the next stage is be. What is very clear to me at least, is that the Arabs living there cannot be permitted to simply go back to the polls. And you know, not that these are free and fair elections, obviously, but they cannot be permitted to go back and democratically vote to elect a party or a group because Hamas was democratically elected. In fact, you know, it's it's fairly well known that one of the reasons that the IDF has equivocated for so many years and has not actually gone into eradicate Hamas is that they fear, and this is a crazy thing to say, but it's true, they fear that if they eradicate Hamas and then let the people of Gaza just elect someone else, something worse than Hamas will come into place. So I'm not making that up. That is seriously a major concern, or has been in the past, i should say, of the Israeli security brass and the intelligence apparatus. So you know, let's say Hamas is cleared, and at that point, if the Israeli security establishment agrees with what I said that you can't have elections there, my preference would be some sort of either annexation or military occupation. Now it's worth pointing out this is where the Biden situations is already a major pot because Biden has explicitly told Netanyahu not to do that. He's explicitly said, do not annex it back into Israel, do not reoccupy it, do not do any of this. I frankly failed to see what the alternative is. I mean, from my perspective, I think Gaza at this point after this should look similar ish to the situation in the West Bank day in Samaria, where you can have kind of a less than fully sovereign government. I mean, the Palestinian authority in Ramala is not fully sovereign. The IDEF still controls the borders there in the Jordan River valley and so forth there. Ideally, if they could install some sort of Arab Zionist sort of puppet regime of sorts, that would be ideal. But there's I'm kind of short of ideas other than that. What I do know for certain is that the people of Gaza cannot be permitted to simply just go back to the polls, because we're gonna have the whole situation all over again.
Speaker 2: If Israel puts enough pressure on Hamas, do you think Iran could end up entering this conflict in a more effectively as a direct combatant in some way.
Speaker 1: It's a terror, it's a terrifying proposition. Obviously, I think they probably will not do so as a direct entity for two reasons. One is that they have so many sprawling proxies throughout the region. Both Hamas has Bulah up north, there are all sorts of Iranian proxies operating in Araq. They basically filled the vacuum after the US watched the Iraq War and then botched the withdrawal from that. So a Rock at this point is essentially an Iranian satropy. I mean, it's essentially kind of an Iranian province. And then Bashar al Asad himself in Syria is basically an Iranian client state. And then you of course have the Huthi rebels there in Yemen on the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula that are also, yes, you guessed, did an Iranian proxy. So I mean they have proxies everywhere. So I don't think that you're going to start seeing missiles directed towards Gaizo or Jerusalem from Tehran. I would be a little surprised if that were the case. And especially you have to consider then that there are multiple aircraft carrier striker groups from the United States right there, and you know, I mean, here's the thing is Iran like a cold, calculating, rational actor.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I mean they subscribe to kind of a you know, a zealous kind of seventy two Virgins in Heaven kind of theocratic mentality, as do a lot of these Hamas has Bowl actors as well. But at a certain point, are they rational enough where they know that the aircraft carriers in the US will just flat in Tehran if they literally start trying to nuke Jerusalem. I mean, I kind of presume they're that rational. I could be wrong, obviously. I pray that I'm right, though, because that would be a truly terrible conflict if they do get involved directly.
Speaker 2: Let's talk more about some of the response we've seen here and in the rest of the West, Josh to this whole situation. We'll get into that in a second. But need energy to get through your busy day? Get yourself set up with Chalks Mail Vitality Stack. This set of supplements is specially designed to provide men with the all natural ingredients that fuel your body, so you have the energy and stamina to thrive through days like today. The leading ingredient in Chalk's Mail Vitality Stack has been proven in studies to replenish diminishing amounts of testosterone in a guy's body. That's crucial because testosterone is the natural hormone that provides fuel to give your body energy and focus. Most guys experience diminishing amounts of testosterone as we get older, and it's gradual, so you often don't notice the difference, but you will notice the improvement. With chalkx mail Vitality Stack in three months time, studies show a plus twenty percent increase. You'll feel fantastic. Go online to Chalk dot com use my name Buck to get thirty five percent off any Chalk subscription for life. When you do, that's Chalk Choq dot com, Chalk dot com Now, Josh Anti Semitism we all know is all too real and has existed, not just doesn't just exist today, has existed, you know, for thousands of years of history, going back to the Pharaohs, right. But some of the response of the organizations and the institutional left, I think has been a little bit of a shock to people. What do you make of that? Is this just it was always there and people didn't want to believe it, or have we entered a new era of almost the mainstreaming of anti Semitism as part of the hard left, Like, how did we get to this place?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not sure that it was kind of like a singular kind of on off flipping of the light switch. It's really just been a a gradual, gradual descent. And you know, the left book from my perspective, started to turn on Israel as far back as the nineteen sixty seven war, which was the Sixth Day War. It was Israel's first war victory after their independence war, which by the way, all these wars were defensive. Israel has never started a war in its entire history. But after the sixty seven war, when Israel miraculously defeated the Egyptians, the Syrians, all the invading armies, I think that was when this image of Israel is kind of Goliath versus the Arabs who were David start to kind of sink into the leftist mentality. And then you have kind of the decades long rise which folks like Chris Ruffo have been working on of kind of critical theory and the academy and this intersectional identity politics mentality and this narrative has taken place where Israel is kind of the white European colonizer, and the Arabs are kind of the colored people. And in today's kind of intersectional Olympics, we all know that anyone who is white is automatically on the bottom. By the way, taken even on its own terms, that narrative is complete a utter bs. First of all, Israel is actually not majority white. Most Jews living in Israel actually are not of European descent. They're actually from the Arab countries, countries like Yemen, Iraq, Morocco, Egypt, you name it. Second of all, the notion that Israel as a colonizer is laughable on its face. I mean, if you really want to play that game. Obviously, the Jews by definition are the indigenous people of Judea. I mean, that's literally where the word Jew comes from. But that's really where it started. This got a lot worse, a lot worse during the Barack Obama presidency. The Biden presidency, which is essentially just the third term of the Barack Obama presidency, allow of the same idiots who were in charge then are in charge once again.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: It's just gotten worse and worse. I remember the twenty fourteen Israel Hamas conflict. It was already pretty bad. This is clearly the worst it has ever been there. Any Semitism at this point has spread like wildfire to the point of ubiquity throughout the American Academy. Finally, you see some people who are not even naturally on the right starting to speak up. I mean folks like like Bill Ackman, the Hedge funder, and Griffin, I mean any number of others who are basically saying I will not hire these idiots who are signing on to these statements. Hopefully more is done at this point, because from my perspective, the only possible way to get back from this is to apply market pressure is to basically say, I will not donate to these schools, I will not send my kids to these schools. I will not hire students from these schools. The Wall Street Journal had a very interesting op ed maybe a week and a half two weeks ago by a law professor at cal Berkeley, where the title of his op ed was, don't hire my anti Semitic law students like these own students. That's the right mentality, right, That's kind of what we have to do from here.
Speaker 2: I think, Gosh, I want to come back and ask you just what you think needs to happen here going forward in just one second. But word from our sponsor. You ever gone to Belize. Look, Belize is an incredible country, and it's one that more and more people are talking about these days. Imagine visiting a country just a couple of hours from Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston where you can enjoy a rainforest and white sand beaches the same day. Belize is beautiful. It's fun because you can load through caves, down a jungle wherever, you can climb an ancient mind ruin, swim with nurse sharks and rays, and simply just enjoy yourself and relax. Bars play live music. You can dance under the stars barefoot every night. You're gonna love Belize. Go check it out for yourself. Belize is fun for so many reasons. Download your free Belize handbooking guide. Go to belizeesfun dot com. That's Belize is fun b E l i z e belize isfun dot com. Josha, Sorry, it's it's such you know, it's such such heavy stuff and it has been for weeks here. But I mean, I I'm optimistic that Israel will accomplish its mission. With regard to Hamas and Gaza, I also think it's unlikely the war will get much broader. I mean, what what gives you? What? What optimism do you find yourself searching for these days?
Speaker 1: So the Western powers more broadly have thus far, officially speaking, been pretty good on this. I mean not if we're including Canada, and Justin Trudeau's a power because he's a total commune, has put out some garbage on this, but you know, holding Canada aside, the United States, you know, the great European powers, you know, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, they've all been pretty good so far, and that seems to be fairly steady for now. Again, the question when it comes to Israel is always for now, because Hamas is the most cynical terrorist organization of all time. They literally use their own people as human shields to try to gin up PR favor. You have all the useful idiots at the New York Times we saw last week with this disgusting blood libel at the hospital in Gaza. So they have this PR strategy orchestrated. But for now, for now, the Western power sentiment is holding steady ish and I think it's holding steady ish for a very simple reason, Buck, which is this was the worst massacre of Jews since the Holocaust. I mean, this was a day that will forever live in infamy, really not just for the state of Israel, but in the mentality and the broader mindset of the Jewish people. I mean, really, aren't the many Jews in the world, Most of us know someone or people who were directly impacted by this tragedy. And you know, each day that we go without a land invasion, I do worry that the IDF you know, is risking kind of public favorite turning against them because the memory is a little less fresh. But this was so bad, This was so bad what happened. And I think Israelis across the entire spectrum from left to right, are so unified and what has to be done here, that it's going to get done, no matter what the short term cost may be. And then here's the kind of the optimistic kicker at the end for anyone who hopes for any kind of long term reconciliation or at least any kind of long term agreement between Israelis and the Palatine Arabs getting rid of Hamas has to be a part of it. There is no future, there's no long term settlement there period with hamas a part of it. So getting rid of hamas I think, ultimately does lead to this.
Speaker 2: Josh Hammer always insightful, my friend. Appreciate you being with us guys. Check out the Josh Hammer podcast and look for his pieces in Newsweek. Josh, we'll talk soon.
Speaker 1: Thanks Buck,