Speaker 1: How's the weather over there in New Jersey, brick, Yeah, it's like it's cold, man.
Speaker 2: I was two days. I have one of these like newly renovated homes, and they just do not give a shit about craft these days, and so they don't even insulate anything when they're done. You know what the guy said, Actually he said you could put a carpet down. I was like, bro, here are.
Speaker 3: Some things we've seen work, just like start a fire in the middle of your living Oh, you know.
Speaker 2: That's dangerous.
Speaker 3: I like to warm my hands over the toaster as I'm making my bagel in the morning. You know, you just put your hands in the bread.
Speaker 2: You have to have very steady. But I do have a blanket though. Let me go faster it. Wow, you're getting you're getting really you got to get the blanket going. Okay, there we go. Don't say anything racist, No, put the the towers. It's so hard. God, which way do I go with this? I have a thousand photos of my dad doing exactly this, just like just getting bundled pretending to be a ship. Oh really, Lawrence of Arabia style. Yeah, yeah, it's a good look. There's like a really amazing school for religious scholars in Egypt. It's called Azad University, and my dad took like a class there for a day and ever since then he's like, yeah, I've been to Asha. Oh yep, yeah, he'll do this. He'll just do this, throw it over his head, funny. Yeah, he's a funny guy. Oh he's hilarious. I didn't really so. I thought he was always just kind of mean and like, you know, like a lot of dads just keeps kids at arms distance. Yeah. I didn't realize until after I wrote my memoir and I was like asking him questions that he was actually a comedian, comedic genius. He's actually really really really funny. He was chilling, stand up. Oh my god. He told me this one story. So I sat down and I was interviewing him for the book, and I was asking him how he why doesn't have any hair beneath his neckline at all? So look straight from here down nothing nothing, no arm hair, no leg hair, all the way down.
Speaker 3: Probably not a question you want to ask your dad.
Speaker 2: I'll answer it. I mean, like he's been dipped. Leave that curiosity aside. Really, that's what he was gonna say, That's that's what he said. He said, you know, I come from a part of Egypt where we celebrate the first born son by dipping them in milk when they're born. And I was like, wow, it's really fascinating. I'm taking notes and writing it down. I wrote it into the chapter, and then when I was reading it out loud to my brother for a fact check, he was like, that doesn't sound right, sought my dad. He was at all. It was like, I've never heard that before. The milk was this and my dad starts cracking up and he was like, you believe that. He's like milk you think we just have milk like that where we could just like dip babies.
Speaker 3: In there and then we'll throw it out. I was like, good, okay, yeah, He's like, you didn't know that. My interview style was two truths and a lie. Every every paragraph I did a lie in there. Oh, you're the fun with my bad bro. You know you know I'm not your dad, right, it's gone too long. He's gone too But he gave me so many stories like that.
Speaker 2: You know. He told me another story about how when he got married he was having a taxi cab in the city in the seventies, that's when he got married. He told his wife, my mom, that he would take her to a nice Italian dinner, and so they got in the cab. They drove up to Joe's Pizza on Fifth Ave and it's literally just a big pizza oven in the window. And I don't know if it's real or not, because I don't I don't know if he's just made fun of me or not. Likes to believe that. I'll believe anything. What's this one?
Speaker 3: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season four, fifteen, episode three of dird Eley's Guys. It was a production of iHeart Radio. It's a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. It's Wednesday, November nineteenth, twenty five.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of things here that it's like play monopoly or whatever.
Speaker 2: This is the one, Jack.
Speaker 1: This one's for you, my guy, because it's National Carbonated Beverage with Caffeine Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know. Yeah? Have you heard people?
Speaker 1: Have you heard that referred to as a fridge cigarette?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I was justs are fridge thicks.
Speaker 1: It was just around a bunch of diet coke brained people in New York and they were like, I died fridge sick. And I was like the and they're like, oh yeah, give me one too. And then I was like a kid.
Speaker 3: It's the new six seven among middle aged people in New.
Speaker 1: York if you're a white business professional. Yeah, yeah, put that fridge sick. So yeah, rip a fridge dart.
Speaker 3: Eh, I'm gonna rip a fridge dart this afternoon in honor of my national Day and Mountain Dewis fridge meth it.
Speaker 1: Fridge grant depends, man, you know, because some people cigarettes come in all kinds of intensities, so I feel like, well, can't you know the soda doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's a fridge filterless camel red exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. What's a Marlborough Do you think.
Speaker 3: Marlborough Marlborough light would be a diet coke? I think I think that's what the type.
Speaker 4: Of person I mean it strikes me as a parliament a parliament is, I think, well, I think those are all in the same range of cigarette. It's like the cigarette for people who are like, oh, I don't smoke, but them bump cigarettes right right.
Speaker 1: Well, because parliaments to me were like the cigaret the first cigarette all the white girls in my high school smoked. And then when they're like, oh, you could do drugs out the recessed filter, I was like, yeah, this is this is this is for me. Yeah yeah, No, would a black and mild be like a Doctor Pepper black and mile see that's mhmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's one that's only a mixer, you know, like whichever soda is like bet does a mixer because it isn't black and mild like you use.
Speaker 2: I mean you can't. I mean I usually you want to use around cigarettes. Maybe that's just a coke heavy you know.
Speaker 1: But people do take out the inner paper inside the black and miles, so it hits a little bit less harsh. So it is in a way, it's like you wouldn't just hit it straight out the fucking pack like that unless you've got some lungs.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Anyways, we've done our due over this cigarette industry.
Speaker 2: Anyways, they.
Speaker 3: Which one takes you to flavor the most? Talking about our favorite drag linked.
Speaker 1: Cigarette, which which cigarette would able to make.
Speaker 3: Do you remember your first drag off a cigarette? I was like, this smells so good and tastes like dirt air like.
Speaker 1: Well, the first cigarette I smoked was one of my was was a butt. You know that my family members left around. I never the first time I sparked of out the packed new fresh cigarette.
Speaker 2: I was probably fifteen in.
Speaker 1: Japan, and I was surprised how smooth that first drag was.
Speaker 2: I was like I thought was. I was like, yo, I might be able.
Speaker 1: To yeah, exactly, you're used to it was used to butt, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Just stand there like half the filter I'm smoking. They're like, sir, that's not tobacco.
Speaker 3: My name is jacko bro Yes today Potatoes O'Brien, and I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host mister Miles.
Speaker 1: Grass Miles Gray aka come on, look at who led capitulation?
Speaker 5: Turcoat Damns betrayed the nation now a ciego raised premiums. Blame those octogenarium BOMs. Okay, shout out to less than zero on the discord. That's oh, no, Pharaoh manch most deaf, nate dogg one for the trouble, two for the base, three foot incredible vegetable paper chase, I think is what most Death said aka yah seen bay for people who really follow his career anyway, thanks for that one.
Speaker 2: Lesson zero, thanks to let me, let me go Aim all right, you're about You're about before, don't come on.
Speaker 3: We're thrilled to be joined by an award winning Slate magazine and staff writer, one of our favorite guests. You might have seen his work on a couple of places like CNN, The New York Times, n p R g Q of the Columbia Journalism Review, which is just a couple of local periodicals, such as that it's actually.
Speaker 2: Prepared this time. I'm going to be a a k a. The Hot Take, a k a. The Bubba on the Beat a a k A. Fish No relation.
Speaker 3: Bubba on the Beat does get to the theory that Miles and not I have positive from the start that everyone's imagining Bill Clinton. There is the horse theory.
Speaker 2: What about Sparks? What about Bubba Sparks?
Speaker 3: You know that would be just so because anyone asked, is anyone Bubble?
Speaker 2: I feel like this is a time.
Speaker 1: I feel like this is a time for every person named Bubba to be like, just so you know, bro, got nothing to do with me. It's not Bubba Wallace, it's not Bubba Sparks. It's not Bubba Smith from Police Academy, even though he passed away man years ago.
Speaker 3: The timing probably doesn't work out for it to be Bubba Gump, Bubba from Forrest Gump. Yeah, because I think he passed away and he you know, they would have met in the Wars Trump hadn't dodged the draft.
Speaker 1: Oh you mean you mean the actual Bubble actor Michael Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm just saying I don't know. I don't know Sark Bubba Wallace Michael T. Williams is sixty eight years old now, the guy who played Bubba. That's so I mean, I mean, I guess that.
Speaker 3: I feel like a dismissive asshole like Mark Epstein would probably refer to him as Bubba.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you never know.
Speaker 3: Let's let's leave no lee unturned here, because he is. He is approaching this like a bridge troll in a riddle, being like, I cannot tell you who it is.
Speaker 2: I will tell you who it is not. Oh, okay, like your dad when he's being interviewed.
Speaker 3: One of us can only tell the truth, one of us can only tell lies.
Speaker 2: You have three questions. Hey, man, it's great, it's great to have you back. How have you been. Oh man, I'm feeling pretty good. Feeling pretty good, getting a lot of writing done, getting a lot of pieces done. I spent some time at the UVU campus where Charlie Kirk made his last debate. Got to learn some things from talking to those kids directly. Yeah, man, it's been good. It's been good. How are you guys? Yeah? Wait, is that a piecer working on right now? Or do that? Is that something you wrote already? It published? Yeah? Oh it did? I have to check that out. I was just reading.
Speaker 1: I was reading a lot of your coverage about Zoran's election, like in the build up and aftermath, but I missed that kirkpiece.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, I'm I'm so excited about Zoron already, like woking up in a whole new America? Does it?
Speaker 1: I mean, it definitely gave everybody the just a light air of positivity. Although now we're like, okay, so how are the billionaires They're they're all now scheming to be like how do we make this not or do anything?
Speaker 2: You're like, yeah, you know what? It felt like. It felt like that moment in Syria when Lasholotte, I said, finally got deposed and then all the prisons are being released, and everything was just opening up, and people were coming back to Syria for the first time and forever. That's what this feels like. If we finally saw democracy do what it was supposed to do. It wasn't just like some somebody cheating or some election fraud something. It just felt like more than fifty it worked. His campaigning worked right right, And I feel like we haven't seen that in a while.
Speaker 3: No, no, not almost, Like I mean the local race.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's it's usually at the like city, state level where you're going to see that kind of like big de democracy kind of stuff really go down.
Speaker 2: Once you get to the federal level, it's just it's just money games.
Speaker 3: Yes we can, he may. I mean, we're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're gonna tell the listeners a couple of things we're talking about.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk.
Speaker 3: About what Donald Trump is up to with his affordability tour, his McDonald's franchise e speech that had a weird speaking of police academy had a weird like little Michael Winslow moment where it was like, well, yeah, did he did he just start. Should he turn into a walkie talkie there. I have a theory on what he was going for. I'm going to talk about that. We'll talk about his plan for getting people distracted from the epsteam files, which is a bribe. You know, Just which of all the policies like this, you know, I'll take that, send some money directly to people. Yeah, that's never been a bad thing.
Speaker 2: Now will it solve everything? I don't know about that, But go ahead, we're square.
Speaker 3: Stop asking about the right just I don't want to hear it ever again. Okay, you can take the car. I don't want to hear about it anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like that, only take it. If you're done talking about Epsteine.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that LAPD who are continuing to protect us hell yeah, from magaard statistics, how they are at their job work, most most obviously guilty Ship. I've seen the LAPD do pretty well because they are on some always on some like guilty Ship. But this is pretty bad. And then we'll talk about so Nicki Minaj is addressing the u N today and it all starts with Bill Maher being full of ship, and we'll we'll talk about how that train of misinformation happened around the subject of Nigeria and you know, a right wing plot to fabricate the idea that, oh you think you think Israel is committing genocide. Actually it's Nigerians are doing Christian Christians. So all of that plenty more.
Speaker 2: It's sad, man, it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, Bill Maher, this amazing what you can do in your an islamophobe with an HBO show.
Speaker 2: You can act the business of the at the U n right, all that plenty more.
Speaker 3: But first, aman, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 2: Okay, this morning it was like big News and my circle of friends that the Legends of Held movie that we're finally getting to our first looks. Oh really, I'm a big zelder NERD. I played all those games to death. It's the only game I could really play. I'm a big dungeon freak. And yeah, me and my circle of friends we love that ship. And so yeah, there's like the first freak.
Speaker 3: It sounds so much nastier than what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my whole vocabulary when I say D and D, people are really going to be looking for my name in the files.
Speaker 3: Okay, so first looks, I'm looking at something that looks like the Peter Jackson Lord.
Speaker 2: Of the Rings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty much it. Yeah yeah, well feel pretty exciting. So ship that is like the Hollywood's promise to New Zealand that we will boost your tourism industry once once every decade. It feels like what we're seeing here.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 3: It's it's live action. You know, that's that'll be interesting.
Speaker 1: They said, oh wow, they're describing it west. The director said they're aiming for something quote akin to a live action Miyazaki, which.
Speaker 2: I'm okay, there's a lot of opportunities. No, but you know, we the vibrations we're going to copy. I think I used to hate like video game adaptations, and then I saw that movie Uncharted with Tom Holland and I was actually, just this feels like a meal. Like this feels like a whole meal. I really enjoyed that one. Are you want to like Super Mario and stuff? I was like, well, yeah, I mean I get like the An made it version.
Speaker 1: They're just trying to keep it like to very video gaming kind of stuff because it wasn't the John Liguizamo Bob Hoskins live action Mario Brothers we got in the nineties.
Speaker 2: But are so good? Are the fans? How are they?
Speaker 1: Because obviously, I mean I feel like Nintendo fans are less toxic than like console or PC gaming fans are. Is the Are there are people enthusiastic about this casting?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Pretty okay. I think everybody. They didn't want it to be like some big name celebrity where they were going to just try to force it like they did.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because they continuously do. How are they going to get Chris Pratt to do the voice though? Is he just overdubbing them like in vo afterwards? All Right, I'm gonna give you those directors me and then i'm gonna give you the directors filmography, and you're gonna do a bit of a Brittany Brosky face miles where it's like, all right, yes, the kombucha face. So he is best known for directing the Maze Runner film trilogy, but then he made the Fourth Kingdom of the Planet fifth or Fourth Planet of the Apes reboot Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, which I've heard is like interesting at least and sorry, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't look, bro, I don't do whatever the fuck you're gonna do. You never know, because I know the directing movies is you might make a whole bunch of shitty ones and then suddenly make a good one. So off of this and Aiman's excitement, I'm gonna go ahead and I'm gonna say really positive about this.
Speaker 2: I do really like po I do like the No Name performers. So it's a perfect pairing, man, if you think about it. Because all the monsters in Zelda are like non humanoid, They're they're like pig ape right thing creatures, and so it actually kind of makes sense that actually makes me more excited they hat to be.
Speaker 1: I'm just waiting for when they're gonna because i know right now they say this woman Bo Braggison is playing Zelda.
Speaker 2: But I know, but they're gonna put Sidney Sweeney in that world eventually. Oh god. Yeah. And you know what, you know what else it is, I haven't been excited about anything, uh like, in movies for so long, and so I'm just really allowing myself kind of forcing myself to be really excited about this one.
Speaker 1: I love that may not be a disappointment made really hyped over a movie.
Speaker 2: I was pretty psyched about one battle after another.
Speaker 1: I was really psyched over weapons, and I never saw it still weapons.
Speaker 2: Weapons, I know. I was just like I remember seeing the trailer.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yo, this ship fucking goes and then cut to like, you know, life lifing. So yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but I'm glad.
Speaker 3: Also, it seems like it's aimed at theaters, right, Like there's gonna be a theatrical release. They're not just going to be like now on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, okay, that's good, that's good. No, no, no, I think I heard.
Speaker 3: I was really excited about the uh Miss Piggy movie. I heard that it's going to be a streaming thing, which is crazy, like you need to put that on on out in theater.
Speaker 1: That's fine because I just showed my them up. It's Christmas Carol. He's fucking love fun. He normally doesn't like seeing like live action ship. He likes animated shit.
Speaker 2: He was feeling, oh nice, Yeah, is this gonna be like a live action Miss Piggy, live action Miss Piggy? Yeah, I haven't even heard about this. Ammas Stone and Jennifer Lawrence and Miss Piggy.
Speaker 3: This might be relevant to one of our upcoming Icon episodes, so stay tuned for those Amma Stones. I get yeah, all right? And man, what is what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: Mm? Underrated? I'm going to say, Tom Gotchi's They're back. They're back. Yeah, I just bought one. I'm going to give them to my wife. I'm really excited. Do you remember do you know what to do? You know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the little uh how about partridges with a little screen on it and you give it food and you clean up its poot and you see them get bigger and they laugh and they cry and they're just so happy and you can't neglect them to the point that they could die. Yeah, they could die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they die? Do they die forever? That that's a question that my seven year old asked me about people recently.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that. That'd be that'd be crazy if you have to, like I think, like the throat away, if it dies, that'd be crazy.
Speaker 1: I feel like the original Japanese version probably would have been like, yeah, bro, it's gone. And then if our American consumers are like you got maybe just take the battery out and put it back in.
Speaker 2: Oh they respawn, thank you can respawn.
Speaker 3: Jesus, Well that's a little scary. Actually yeah, yeah, all right, yeah this this totally missed me.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, because you were what your four year Yeah, you would have been like driving, like a driving high schooler.
Speaker 2: By the time this, Yeah, really hit fever pitch for me, Like, how old are you? In my fifties? Yeah, dude, that looks good on you. You still have all your hair. I'm forty years older than months.
Speaker 1: He's thirty two, bro, No, no, no, forty four. Yeah, you'll be forty five. Shit, I'm forty one.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Ah, God damn the old as fuck. So you are you seeing that, like is it coming back in the sense so you can get one on eBay? Or you're seeing this as a trend.
Speaker 2: They have like a whole new line of them, and you know, but yeah, so I think it's just kind of like a fun little toy that you could just keep in your pocket and then every once in a while it rings and you can pull it out and you can play with it, and it's something that's not your phone. I think that's like the bigger draw exactly. That's not an app something that's not you know, because I feel like so much of my life and my wife's life and everything is just going from like big screen to little screen in the back to the big screen, the back to the little screen. Yeah, and life has gotten so repetitive with having kids. I mean, dude, I love having kids. I like being a dad, but we end up doing the same things over and over again, and the days are really running away from us. So I wanted to do something different for this year's holidays and year holidays, which it's funny because we're mostlim we don't even do that stuff. But I still wanted to get her a gift so that she wouldn't feel left out. And there I was looking around, and I just like, I wanted to get her like a gadget, something that was small, But she's not really the gadget. She doesn't want like a watch or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she kind of likes things that are like not a dummy, like a dumb phone, you know.
Speaker 2: So I was like looking at that, and I was like, yo, she really used to like that stuff back in the days. I remember I used to like that stuff too. Let me just get home one nice I.
Speaker 3: Can't wait next time you're on, we need to get the report, because my my gut would be the having kids and then having a thing that replicates having kids.
Speaker 2: Would like I didn't even know one.
Speaker 3: To feed one of them, and I can't remember which one it is.
Speaker 1: This one's got clients coming off of it. It's funny though too that like I mean, you bring it up because like when this ship was popping is because we didn't have cell phones as kids.
Speaker 2: It's like, yo, bro, got this little tomagachi.
Speaker 1: I'm fucking around on dir any thing no tamagatchis and you just think of all the things we used to just like the phone has yourplace, Like I'm seeing like a fucking yo yo, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Or it's like, bro, you have nothing to do. Get that yo at yoyoa. Oh big kids. We were rocking beepers. I didn't have enough people calling me.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: Did you put in your hat too? Did you clip the beeper.
Speaker 2: To your hat? I never did the beeper.
Speaker 3: I think I got a like type of candy that came in a beeper shaped box For those of us who didn't have bustling enough social lives.
Speaker 2: The beeper I was in the streets.
Speaker 3: Like pretend, what if you pretended that you had shit going on?
Speaker 1: There's jack, there's bubble dumb spilling out of your beeper.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, she's calling again. Oh you're right, yeah, I better take this. My duke is tripping, you know how it is.
Speaker 3: I pretend my mom is calling dude.
Speaker 2: That's the best I can imagine. I have really over protective parents. Did you guys have beepers when everybody else had a cell phone?
Speaker 1: I had a beeper in ninety five, so people mostly people still had beepers, and it was.
Speaker 2: Like the beeper arrow when I had a beeper sick. I had a beeper because I couldn't afford the phone, and so I would just get a beeper then borrow someone's phone to call them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had the beeper for a long time though, because I also didn't like the phones are so big. I still was just so into the idea because like rappers would put like nine beepers on their waistband. Yeah, I was just kind of like I had two. Like at one point I had two beepers. One was a broken one, but I just had to to just stunt on people at the mall.
Speaker 2: That's like, if you got a lot going on and you want to look like Batman, you need like a utility belt. All beepers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so many deepers deeper Batman.
Speaker 1: Doctors still kind of using right, or they're all using Apple watches and ship like the app.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got phonesfe works in the hospital and she has a beeper.
Speaker 1: I feel like I feel like she gets pages, right. I feel like that's the last place where they're still used like in a regular way, right.
Speaker 3: So it's I mean, yeah, so I think my wife has like a work phone that is only like for work calls that she knows that she's getting a call.
Speaker 2: On that it's it's within the hospital. Yeah, yeah, it's important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, I get I guess beepers do make sense like for that. So because dude, I was, I was showing miles yesterday. I got nine spam calls yesterday, like during the course of our recording phone calls. Yeah, hour and a half nine spam phone calls. It's they have made it completely fucking useless. Like if I was a doctor, I'd be fucked or I'd be like getting scammed so much.
Speaker 2: Hold on, sir, I gotta I gotta leave this surgery.
Speaker 1: I'm getting another callam doctor, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You gotta like sanitize your hands all over again.
Speaker 1: Got to be sure it's the same area code as my hometown.
Speaker 2: Makes me think maybe it's someone I know trying to call me from a new phone.
Speaker 3: I got like the AD and T spam detection thing, and like it's just taken off since then, and now it never says scam likely.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh boy, the fucking DNT.
Speaker 3: Anyways. Uh, what something aman that you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: Uh? Laptops? Uh huh. I feel like we're finally at the point now where you could just do everything on your phone. And so when I see somebody like pull out a laptop on a train, because you know, like I'm in the city and everything, somebody's like it's like a busy train and somebody like has to do their work and they got to like do It's like, dude, it could wait right later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, trying to make a big production of the fact that you have work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you take them space. Can you write an entire article on your phone? Have you done that? I've done that before. Damn, it's not great.
Speaker 3: You're a great gun typer. Yeah, because I need I need a keyboard, like to really crank shit out.
Speaker 2: I need. But you could also hook up like a keyboard to a phone now that you can get like a dunk. That is the wildest look though.
Speaker 1: You You imagine you're taking the train and somebody just takes their phone out and then a fucking keyboard and they're like, right, let me just type this ship up on my cellphone, and.
Speaker 2: That's so much easier to carry than a whole laptop, and just it's something about it just makes me just drives me nuts. Because then because I see it all the time, I see people pulling that laptops and doing work somewhere where they're not supposed to. And I'm like, dude, look around, you're stressing us. Read the room. Yeah, read the room. I'm trying to have a sandwich, and you're trying to use this cafe as your office.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, dude, Like your slack sounds are fucking upsetting me that I can hear ambiently in this office.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. And it's like they sometimes give you a dirty look if you're dragging a chair across because I'm interrupting their work. This happened the other day. My son was pushing a chair in a cafe and somebody gave him a look because he was interrupting his flow. So you're in a public place.
Speaker 1: Photograb three chairs, my bad man, I'm expecting some people man using this chair in front of you.
Speaker 2: Actually, it wouldn't bother me so much if, like I didn't see it all the time. You know. Yeah, it just feels like you can't leave the house without somebody making whatever space their office. You know. I take my case of the library a lot again, just people just post it up, making it their their workspace. And I'm like, you, guy, it's not that important love that even.
Speaker 1: Though it's a peaceful place to do your work.
Speaker 2: We'll do that shit somewhere else, or just you know, be better at time management. If your problem is that you have to do work on the way that we're like on the wages where you're going, maybe you should have done woke up a little bit earlier. That's right. They probably lift themselves up by their bootstraps and get it together. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh you're getting crushed by your job. I don't want to see it in front of me, you know.
Speaker 2: Uh, The article that I did fully write on my phone was the January sixth article when I was when I went to the Capitol building. Oh okay, I'll give you. Yeah, I needed a file literally right then, and so I just typed out everything as it happened to published it in a couple hours.
Speaker 3: And it was It read like one of Jeffrey Epstein's emails. It was just like no capitalizations, stations scattered throughout.
Speaker 2: Luckily you got a good editor.
Speaker 3: So yeah, all right, we're gonna take a quick break, then we're gonna come back and talk about some news.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back, and we're back. We're back.
Speaker 3: And somebody told Trump about this affordability thing, this crisis. It really must be hard for him, who has never you know, to afford anything in his life, never had any sort of lack in his life, and also doesn't seem to be able to hear people who aren't billionaires like you know, like fully take them in as humans. Yeah, so this is probably news to him. Will some people are like having trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, when you're that wealthy, you're all your wealth is just like built on exploiting people's like labor. So at that point you truly don't see them as people. You're like, yeah, these are my fucking smurfs that I squeezed dollars out of. What the fuck are they complaining about? But yeah, the Trump is having a summit or had one already with McDonald's franchisees about affordability, and I guess like, rather than like, I don't know, introducing like legislation that would bar companies from profiting excessively, he'd rather just yell at a bunch of McDonald's people about it.
Speaker 3: But he lowered the prices like that was basically the right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, when for.
Speaker 3: A day or something, do a sale.
Speaker 1: When you read the comments, you're like, this feels like somebody's leaning on you McDonald's. But so people, we've talked about how he was going to go on a speaking tour to address the affordability crisis and just not listen. Yeah yeah, no, no, no, no, you will hear me. You will hear me again, And he said he was just going to go around not offering solutions, but merely pointing to his past accomplishments to be like, how you go say, I'm not doing anything for working people. I'm doing no tax on tips no tax on overtime. Now, don't look too deeply into that and see if that's actually beneficial to those people. But it sounds good and that's what ideal in So yeah, he continued this, uh, and they got the people who were asking about, like, what's going to be going on the McDonald's Sumit it says a key message at the mcdonald' summit will be that value and affordability or quote so important to consumers and elected officials that our franchisees and company are co investing to bring extra value and affordability to our customers.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, well, hold on.
Speaker 1: Affordability is so important to elected officials that franchisees are investing their own This sounds like legislators like you need to fucking help us, So whatever you need to do to bring the fucking cost now, will help you do that.
Speaker 2: Shit. Yeah, it's like we put money in your pocket. Now it's time to make me look good.
Speaker 1: Right, Like, this isn't because we've talked about i mean over the like the last since we've been doing this show. It's always been like how fucking expensive fast food is getting to the point where it's not even some shit where you're like, bro, I can't like I can eat fast food for cheap at least now it's like I gotta count the coins in my pocket before I go to like McDonald's or some shit. Axios did report that McDonald's is quote taking the rare step of footing part of the bill for its new extra value meals to win back cash strap.
Speaker 2: So okay, and.
Speaker 3: There's probably no quid pro quo where you know, the FDA looks the other way as they like just call it an extra pound of u sawdust to all of their products.
Speaker 2: Its sawdust.
Speaker 1: But it just feels like, like, so the greed is causing such bad optics for this administration. They're begging slash coercing McDonald's into bringing prices down as a smoke screen, because we have heard McDonald's be like, we are our customers can't even afford our product, like that is being talked about within the boardrooms. Now again that that means are you willing to make less profits? Are you willing to take that extreme step to make less money?
Speaker 3: And I will say the McDonald's is franchise base, franchise e like based, so you can put the pressure downwards. So you're not asking billionaires to take a pay cut. You're asking them to put pressure on the you know, p people who own the individual outlets, right right, So it's that that's a way of doing this that doesn't require you to put pressure on corporate America in any way.
Speaker 2: It's it's really beautiful. It's like a beautiful trick they've done.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this administration has been throwing out all kinds of ideas how to bring prices down, and Trump has even gone up, like gone back on being like Biden started the high prices, but I will fix it. And but now they're finding themselves and being like okay, so how and they're like.
Speaker 3: Ask them to lower the prices?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you like Yon tried asking them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it requires them to do things that are antithetical to their entire worldview, like so like don't write socialist checks your capitalists ass can't cash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that's what he's trying to do. Yeah, you know this is going to work so beautiful, beautifully for them. And that sort of drives me nuts because I think for like the past, it's not like a Republican or democ issue. I think like the way that it's been working for the past ten like decade, is that the top one percent. Berniey Senters has been talking about this forever. The top one percent has been just siphoning money from the middle class and the lower class like crazy. And now like that all of the money has already floated to the top, they're gonna trickle just a little drop back down and they're gonna act like they're actually doing something right. And the way that it's been working in Trump world, where they're just desperate for anything, any sign of life in the Trump administration, that they're going to actually turn this into a win. And I hate to say it, it's gonna work. And you know, I saw a little bit of the video of him like going up and like talking about it, and just the laughs that he got in the room when he was he was like, you know, I'm the first president that have been elected who was formerly a fry cook at McDonald's. I think the way that the room erupted and laughter, I think tells you everything about how this is that play.
Speaker 3: Is that because he did that one photo op as a fry.
Speaker 2: Cook or no, he's just making fun of himself, and I think people are just it's a party and everybody it's like a big birthday celebration more than it is any policy like movement. It's just gonna work out.
Speaker 3: Life is just one long birthday party for him, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think the way that he photoshopped like the McDonald's double arches on top of the White House, are they wasted they and they put grimace in a maga hat. I think it's it's sort of the same pattern of trying to create this idealized version of the success, trying to show Trump as somebody who was actually solving problems. As long as they can continue to manufacture that image, their base is going to think of it as a success. And we're not talking to them. They're not talking to us anyways, and so there really is no room for somebody to say, actually, is this actually going to do make a difference. Now they're gonna be oh no, look, Trump actually did lower the prices, He did what he said he was gonna do. Well.
Speaker 1: I think that's where they're trying to find the thing where they're like, clearly the the you know, voted Trump three times people are they don't need to be convinced. It's like all the people they kind of siphoned off in the presidential that they're like, ah, fuck, like we're losing everybody too, because they would tell everybody else who they think is gonna vote for.
Speaker 2: A Democrat like just eat shit, we don't give a fuck.
Speaker 1: But I think there is like that group because especially with the number of like Latino voters who are now just like the like the inversion of that coalition or the lack of support.
Speaker 2: Now they're like, uh, fuck, why what's their problem? What are they meant about?
Speaker 1: Oh, you know, just the kidnappings? Should we just look at this clip where he talks about we.
Speaker 3: Should yeah, we should talk about the books he is he does kind of have them eating out of his hands, and then he does something that's like, I don't I don't know what really happens here, but I just as you know, not just as a politician, but as as a person.
Speaker 2: It's worth watching this as a person.
Speaker 6: Doing honest, beautiful hard work and happy family sitting down to a really great meal, because no matter who you are, everyone loves some thing at McDonald's. It's always something to have.
Speaker 2: I like the fish, I like it. What you could do a.
Speaker 6: Little bit more ta please, seriously, I hate when I said, you have any do you understand that?
Speaker 2: Yes, the fish, Okay, I like.
Speaker 3: Fish, And he like pushes his hand down a little bit, so all right. My first impression is it seems like a clear attempt at a Homer Simpson audibly drooling, thing like.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Okay, But but he like doesn't. So he's just like, what's but what's the hand doing? Because he's like, I like the fish, And it looks like he's shifting in the third gear. Maybe isn't he doing like a crunching sound like.
Speaker 2: Aulating that he's simulating the roof of his mouth coming down on.
Speaker 1: A Oh, he has a bit of an oral fixation. It feels like the last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it is.
Speaker 3: It's weird, like maybe he has something in his throat. I don't want to bring that up that that has nothing to do with anything that's happening elsewhere in the news. I'm just wondering if he had something in his throat it was a horse, Okay, I would be a new fucking angle.
Speaker 2: It was a fucking horse, all right. That he goes I like the.
Speaker 3: Fish makes me wonder if he just like doesn't know where fish come from.
Speaker 2: He's just like doing.
Speaker 3: He's just like he thinks they're like created by a robot or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: He makes like a ninety degree angle with his either way, that's what he's trying to do. He's getting them to talk about anything, but whatever is happening right now? I am curious, So like how quickly it? Like, so prices will go down at McDonald's maybe for how long? Yeah, but what about everywhere else? Because everybody also has bills to put, like utility bills to pay, they have phone bills to pay, They've got grocery costs that you know. The one thing now, he's like like they're trying to eliminate the tariffs on things like coffee and like tropical fruit and certain things to just to give the illusion like like, oh, some things are coming down, but I don't. I think he also misunderstands that this is it. This is a like a fucking all encompassing crisis of affordability. It's not just McDonald's became too pricey, but.
Speaker 3: Against your people, right, that's they the shit, right, we'll go the same.
Speaker 2: But that's him too. It's wages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the other thing too, And I think rather than doing addressing any of those things, it's easy to be like, we're going to be cutting people of two thousand dollars checks, folks, just to be like, you know, how about my wages go up?
Speaker 2: How about my healthcare costs? To do something about them? No, No, here's two thousand. That's you know, don't look into the analysis of what happened in the lockdown. It did contribute a bit to inflation, although did.
Speaker 3: That were required in at a very high level from like the C suite, And that's not what he's requiring here here he's asking franchises to make less money, so that you know, and franchisees are not like C suite millionaires. There are people who own a single McDonald's franchise, or you know, a group.
Speaker 1: Of McDonald if you've got multiple, if you've got a multiples, I hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean there's some there's some McDonald's franchise e kingpins for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Out here.
Speaker 3: And also he did tweet out that mega hat of an image AI slop essentially of Grimace wearing a mega hat, and then they immediately deleted. So I feel like McDonald's was like whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're like don't, yeah, we don't. That makes it even funnier.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna Yeah, well, like the first one they they they I think they vetoed the one where it had a swastika armband on, and then.
Speaker 2: Maybe like all this the a I thought that they've done. There was a panic on the Trump side. We're like, oh, that's too far, that's too far. Take that back. Yeah, but that's all dripping poop on protesters in Chicago, right right.
Speaker 1: What's also just funny to me is like that the McDonald's has enough sway. They're like, hey, man, take that ship down. And they're like sorry, sorry, yeah, sorry, I guess we got to white nationalists dip on our chip there. Sorry about that, McDonald's. We will remove the post at once.
Speaker 3: Let's talk real quick about the LAPD, who We've been on a pretty steady. The police and human caging system in America is inhumane, doesn't work to make people safer, and it seems like the people in charge of running that system might be catching onto that fact too crazy because in LA we spend billions of dollars in tax money to keep the LAPD and fast cars and new guns.
Speaker 1: The finest guns we keep our police and the finest guns, and.
Speaker 3: Tearing through the sky and helicopters. Nobody has really explained the purpose of oh.
Speaker 1: Paying lawsuit settlements for their illegal behavior.
Speaker 2: Us.
Speaker 1: That's actually a huge burden on the city.
Speaker 3: The helicopters. Man, I feel like we gotta. I feel like we could. We could take over the golf courses. If Mom Donnie can get elected, we can get rid of the LAPD helicopters and take over the golf course and LAPD helicopters. Like, don't once you just like take a second to think about it, You're like, so that's just for car chases, Like that's why the fun that they need to be, why the sky need to be constantly swarming with helicopters.
Speaker 2: It's also also have they heard of drones? Right?
Speaker 1: Oh, you know they have, yeah, budgets, Like we need just a few of those. But also I'm I'm sure they're like, but we also need the helicopters so we can just keep a low grade stress, like just a nice low grade stress for low income area. You're being watched, Yeah, just buzzing down through neighborhoods, to keep them alive.
Speaker 2: You know, you're gonna keep them awake that you know they have multiple purposes.
Speaker 3: So on the question of what the money is being spent on and how it's working, the LAPD is just like, we're not telling just trust us. It's for your own good. That's essentially what they've done.
Speaker 1: They've gone with, right, because we used to have a crime map that you could look at at any time that was basically like here's the crime data website. You can go look to your neighborhood. You can just see there's records of like locations of crimes, the use of force, number of other like all kinds of data, just like what the cops are up to. And it was somewhat trained by law.
Speaker 3: Right, there's a law, the public transparency law that for years the LAPD has had to maintain records to improve inspection and accountability. And then abruptly this year they were like, heh, you actually can't see it. And when asked why, they said that the information quote has the potential to lead to misguided public policy discussions or unjustified public panic, which I believe the first one is their concern that they're like, oh, man, you guys are gonna cut our funding if you know what's actually going on, but the idea that it would lead to public panic. They love some statistics that make them look like they are necessary and make their job look dangerous and make it look like they're having to fight things and crimes out of control. They when there's when there's a crime, they're the first ones to tell you about that. So I have to assume at this time of like rapidly dropping violent crime across American cities, that their their problem is not we don't want to show you guys, because you can.
Speaker 2: Be too scared. You can be too scared, you're gonna make you're gonna need us too much. We don't want you to see how much everyone is so dumb man, They think everyone is as dumb as them.
Speaker 1: It's so patronizing to be like, oh, you guys, won't even wrap your head around this data that shows we're doing fuck all and wasting money, because then you're gonna you don't even want and you're gonna fucking panic or some ship, dude, because it sounds like you. That data is going to be so incriminating in terms of the just just total waste of money that we pay these people who most of them don't even live in the fucking city. They're out of towners who come in and just fucking bad up the actual people who live in the city. Yeah, right now, there's a lot of back and forth trying to get this information out. The mayor's office has not even returned to Andy, hasn't given any kind of comment on this, because, yeah, how are you gonna defend this, Like you don't want to be transparent with the data about what you're up to, then then tell your story if you if you're if you're so concerned about what the what people are gonna get from this data, then why don't you release it and you give whatever your analysis is and then allow people to look through the raw data themselves.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 3: It's like a kid just being like, what, I gotta tell you something, but you're gonna be mad at me? Yeah, tell you you're gonna be so mad at me? Do you promise you're not gonna be mad at me? Then I'm not telling you.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get mad? Well, did you do something bad? I don't know we're gonna get mad? Are you gonna be mad?
Speaker 3: I don't I mean, I'm protecting you from this information because you're gonna be so mad.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be so mad.
Speaker 1: Oh, anyone tell you?
Speaker 2: This is why I didn't tell you nothing. Shout out to the LA You can almost imagine how that meeting went, where they were just like, wait, why are we even giving this to people on the why so they could be mad at us? This is so dumb. I'm sure some poor, low level person have to go on the website and scrub.
Speaker 1: It right, or I'm sure some some person who's in charge of that was like whatever, you just always posted, and so I'm like, just just.
Speaker 2: Don't fucking post this one. Don't fucking post this one. They're like what what what It's just like, oh, no.
Speaker 3: If we didn't ye, no, no, there's a law, but what if there wasn't. Yeah there is who's gonna enforce the law?
Speaker 2: Where the police? Yeah, exactly one hundred per cent?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean like because also, like in twenty fifteen, the LA Times like they, you know, did an investigation show that they were doing the LAPD was involved in all kinds of misclassification errors that were artificially lowering the city's crime levels.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 3: So we're just messy. We're just messy guys. We're you know, we're like loose cannons.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Did you ever see Rigs or John McClain doing fucking paperwork?
Speaker 1: Hell no, dudell, No, they hated it, beating the ship out of people.
Speaker 2: Happy though, look at the numbers this lower.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think the I think the biggest thing is really for people to understand how much tax revenue like La County generates, or even just even at least city does, and you look at the services we have, and then you just look at how much of that money goes to police overtime and settling these lawsuits for their fucking actions of impropriety. To put it lightly, Yeah, it's it would it's my numbing. And people are like, damn, why do the streets look like this? I'm like, because a lapd.
Speaker 3: Right, you say, why why does the streets look like this? As a helicopter flies over your head, It's like, it's a shame of mine.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: It drives me nuts because in New York we're having this whole news cycle discussion about what Zoron means when he meant when he said defund the police like ten years ago, and it's so easy for people to just explain it. Right, It's simple. You take some of the budget that's like that's being wasted, that's actually not being used for good police work, and you spend it on services so that the police aren't being overwhelmed with non stop calls for every little thing. It just makes sense when you when you hear it said out loud. But then it doesn't even matter. You take what you're saying is, oh, so you want crime or are you pro crime? Then oh yeah, you want people to kill you? Yes, look at me, dude, I'm pro crime. Look at me.
Speaker 1: I've lost my mind and I'm pro crime. And my wife pant they get fucking robbed every time I leave the house. That's my dream, right, because that's a reasonable person says no, Like to your point, it's like, we take all the money they fucking waste, Like we're only spending four thousand dollars a minute on helicopters and putting that into the social safety net programs that like to your point, you know, lead to actually.
Speaker 2: Less ride And because we live in a democracy, and all hinges on whether or not this group and that group can have a conversation, and it just we so clearly can't control All of our policies are being based off of what slogan sounds better and how much a happy meal will now cost.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I wonder if there even is a way to tell these cops like, look, guys, y'all are making a lot of money, all right, we're gonna take a little we're taking some money away, okay, and you still get to drive your gigantic truck.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't it be nice to like not respond to everything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right right, It's like, but we got to work this out, baby. This ain't this isn't just some shit that you can just bleed the city dry with all your fucking overtime shit.
Speaker 3: You talk to the cops and like a lot of them are like, yeah, I don't like that there are no mental health resources in the city.
Speaker 2: That's bad for us. The cop. Yeah, even then everything with a with a cop, you can just throw a cop and expect to work out.
Speaker 3: According to Joe Biden gave that speech, it's like, what you want to defund the police? The police are psychiatrists.
Speaker 2: There are doctors, our lovers, there are lots didn't want to ask corn Pop if he knows who Buppa is, that's a great question. We need you need to find out. I don't even think.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if corn Pop knows who corn Pop that they are corn Pop, Joe Biden. Just think some random black duty shook hands with like seventy years ago and corn Pop was a bad guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, sir, how did you fat what files? He never has?
Speaker 3: Has that been searched? That's your job as a journalist to tell us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta google this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're back, and let's talk about first of all, why Nicki Minaj is addressing the UN addressed the UN yesterday. Her involvement was arranged by the Trump administration.
Speaker 1: She tweeted, couldn't address the UN just off the strength of her and the Barbs.
Speaker 3: I know I would think so, but the writing and a post ambassador. I'm so grateful to be entrusted with an opportunity of this magnitude. I do not take it for granted. Means more than you know, the Barbes and I will never stand down in the face of injustice. We've been given our influenced by God. There must be a bigger purpose. Trump media advisor Alex bruce Witz, who's also expected to speak at the event, and this was to highlight claims of Christian persecution in Nigeria, which, first of all, I do just want to say. Now we've got two of the three people on Monster now fully aligned with the right. Only Jay Z's our last holdout. I mean he's I say he was low key, you know, as a billionaire. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's he's part of that set. But yeah he's not. He hasn't open. He doesn't fully become a part of the Trump administration.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine?
Speaker 1: Like and he has who better than Sean Carter as my liaison for Housing and Urban Development?
Speaker 2: He said, the streets is watching, and he knew it's kind of it's kind of nice when people like this get involved and they do, like want to take a position. I think it's really cool. It's just NICKI minajal people. I can't. I don't think I ever got over when she talked about how the COVID vaccine will make your testicle swollen. Yeah, cousin and their cousin. Yeah, they pulled off because they took up the COVID vaccine. It's like, yeah, it's it's good. We should want people to to like take stances and be political, you know, volved. Yeah, but don't on the line.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, don't get charged up off of Bill mahersh segment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that is what happened. This is what happened.
Speaker 3: Earlier this month, she praised Trump for threatening military action against Nigeria over this slaughter of Christians.
Speaker 2: Trump had air quotes for slaughter.
Speaker 3: I think it's important to yeah, yeah, over the quote unquote a latter of Christians. He ordered the military to prepare for action in Nigeria to tackle Islami's militant groups because the government is failing to protect Christians and promise to do things to Nigeria that Nigeria is not going to be happy about. He always does shit like that, like he's flirting, and you know, obviously he doesn't give a fuck about Nigerians. But this gives conservatives an excuse to paint Christians as the real victims in our world. They're so warny to be like persecuted, you know. And in twenty twenty, he similarly stated the government, the government of Nigeria was not doing enough to protect the safety of Nigerians, especially Christians, and there's been like Ted Kruz has recently come out and been like fifty thou Christians have been killed since two thousand and nine by armed Islamist groups in Nigeria. Of course, he did not cite sources for the information, and we think like that this really got going a week before Cruz's tweet because Bill Maher on his show is this what the fuck's is still the Real Time or whatever the fuck? I don't know, real time, real talk, real whatever the fuck racist self hating loser show on he used his HBO show to claim that Islamists spoke Oharam are systematically killing the Christians in Nigeria.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is new role.
Speaker 3: This is so much more of a genocide attempt than what is going on in Gaza. They're literally attempting to wipe out the Christian population of an entire country. His sources, according to people who are actual journalists, say that it's largely fabricated claims and manip images from unverified outlets. But of course that segment was later picked up by Fox News, which is how it gets to Trump and Ted Cruz, which is how it then gets to Nicki minaj.
Speaker 1: Wonderful love that love that pipeline, the Bill Maher to Nicki Minaj un pipeline really really impressive, And I mean, god do people don't people know Bill Maher, Like, I don't even know how the fuck he's still on HBO. This guy has such a sordid record of Islamophobic bullshit that he says on his show for fucking decades. Yes that anytime he mentions anything outside of him wanting to have sex with like video vixens from the like two thousands, I'm like.
Speaker 2: Bro, this this is some fucking bullshit. This is some lie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And just to just to think that it goes from there to now that this whole sort of narrative that they're really trying to get going of, like, let's we honestly we need to protect Christians everywhere, and maybe that's a justification for increased militarism around the world. I don't know, maybe or just just to change the optic a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, turned it into a religious war. Things should be what they're going for. Yeah, they want to be able to like clap back at the accusations of the side. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: This is Yeah, he dropped that report around the time that Nigeria support voice support for a two state solution to the Palestinian conflict at conflict at the twenty twenty five u in General Assembly. So he went and like cherry picked fake sources from across the internet and then you know, put together a segment basically being like, oh, interesting, that's rich coming from you Nigeria.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, they're also using the shorthand Islamist group means the crusades against Christian people. It's like, do you know anything about Boko Haram, Yeah, they just read about it.
Speaker 3: Boko Haram has positioned itself against the Nigerian state as an apostate entity, not against any single religious group. There's no one motive behind the attacks. And not only is it not a genocide against Christians, but the majority of victim of armed group, of the armed group are Muslims.
Speaker 2: It's sad man. No. Bokharm is a real problem. And it's like one of many of these kinds of paramilitary groups that feed off of young kids and they go into these places, they kidnap the kids and they raise them up to be fighters and it's and it's just really sad that this only comes up in the context of, oh, well, you thought that what we were doing was bat how come I don't hear you talking about this? And the same thing goes for what's happening in Sudan. Man, it's devastating. It's devastating if you're keeping up with what's happening over there. But I only ever see it being talked about online in the context of like, oh well, how come you're not protesting your goods loose?
Speaker 3: Yes, I just need I only find out about this stuff when it's brought up by a major pop diva.
Speaker 2: I need I need that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with questionable marital choices, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I need a Lady guy got Away in on Sudan.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting I'm sitting on my keep my powder dry till Lady got and Olivia Rodrigo.
Speaker 2: Olivia Rodrigo would be very interested to hear what she has to say. I mean, she's younger.
Speaker 1: I feel like she probably has something to say. I feel like the younger ones.
Speaker 2: Definitely what a Suprina Carpenter said about that.
Speaker 3: Serena Carpenter would be also interesting. I think she probably prefers to get stay uninvolved. I just for some reason, I can't not picture her as young Hillary Clinton anymore. I saw that side by side, I was just like, damn.
Speaker 2: Oh, I haven't seen that yet. I'm gonna look at it.
Speaker 3: You know what, Miles, I'm gonna stick with my original stance because one of the things for sure is that absently and without uh information, accusing pop divas of things never backfires on the internet. Yeah, Taylor Swift fans are pretty cool and reasonable and don't don't get mad if you if you're just like I don't know, they seem like kind of a weird couple, like fuck you, even such a pleasure having you as always? Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm mostly on Instagram posting dumb stuff, usually my articles.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm about in the middle of my book tour, so please check in and see where I'm going to be next. I'm gonna be in Miami next week and then Seattle two weeks after that. So yeah, I'm being all over talking about becoming bub by, talking about my journalism, saying yes to everything there it is. Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying? You know, I've been really enjoying the daily guist. I think, oh, have you.
Speaker 3: Guys heard that?
Speaker 2: So crazy?
Speaker 1: Hey for the listeners, y'all. I don't know if y'all heard this show.
Speaker 3: I was on board until they were fucking rude about Sabrina Carpenter. Jack clearly has an anti Sabrina Carpenter.
Speaker 2: They're not nice to tell the Swift fans I've heard mm hm that's yeah. But they are asking the real questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like like, yeah, exactly exactly or a horse.
Speaker 2: Seriously. I love coming on the show. I love talking to you guys. I love listening. I listened as often as I can. You guys are literally doing the real work out here. Man. Oh no, thanks so much, he says.
Speaker 3: Going from somebody who's actually doing the hand type January sixth, journalists from the front lines of an actual insurrection, I.
Speaker 1: Would say we're about twenty levels lower, but we're on the same tree.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. I love you guys. Just don't never let me just don't ever let me catch you with a with its laptop on the train. No ever, never.
Speaker 3: I mean not on the subway, right, but like we give me all the time on the subway is fine, but like track.
Speaker 2: He's tying on New York train.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can do Amtrak though, I mean that's what that's what the Amtrak's for.
Speaker 2: Amtrak is nice. It's like every seat is like its own little room. Yeah, all right, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Miles. We had to let him and go to you know, go get his kid from school. So to the transparency there yet, I just want to transparency at this school if you want to meet him there Jersey. But I do dying to ask you, where can people find you? And is there a working media you've been at, Joel?
Speaker 1: After all these years, it still feels since here, Jack, I gotta say, you can find me everywhere at Miles of Gray. You find me talking about ninety day Fiance on four to twenty Day Fiance.
Speaker 2: That's the show I do with Sophia Alexandro. Let's see a work of media. I like, m no, okay, oh, I can one. You know what.
Speaker 3: We have a new format of the daily Zeitgeist in case you missed it, Evergreen episodes dropping Monday morning. The first episode of this new format about icons, deep dives into icons about Einstein, dropped on Monday morning.
Speaker 2: You can go back in the.
Speaker 3: Feed and find it and then yeah, these are gonna be dropping weekly for a little while.
Speaker 1: Just so you know, we want to I think we've talked about it before. It's like we want to keep talking, but also not talk about the creeping fees or not even creeping whatever ever.
Speaker 3: Present Yeah, present oppressive fascism. It's a it's a fun one. It's it's a you know, when the photographer is like, do a silly one just for just for us.
Speaker 2: That's what these are. Yet, Yeah, that's what these are. But I can muster up sticking my tongue out like Einstein.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go. Was that what you were going to say? You got something else?
Speaker 1: No, I was just thinking about what I was watching yesterday, and I don't want.
Speaker 2: To admit that I was watching below decks was.
Speaker 4: Okay, and you haven't and you haven't admitting I was lying when I just said that out loud.
Speaker 2: In addition to.
Speaker 3: Our new format, Evergreen Daily's like some Monday morning about icons, I've been enjoying a couple of tweets, Chateau tweeted, the worst part of being a good listener is that people get creeped out by the information I've retained about them just from listening. You ever had that where you're like, oh, yeah, you were in Texas like last year, and they're like, wow, good memory, but like they get kind of freaked out or like I feel like it's like a competit where they're like, fuck.
Speaker 2: I don't know where this guy was last year at all. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know I have I have a memory like that.
Speaker 1: It helps definitely in like business settings because they're like, yeah.
Speaker 2: God, and you are my business man.
Speaker 1: You're not a business in your business man, now, let me handle my business man.
Speaker 2: So I was enjoying that. I was enjoying. Uh.
Speaker 3: So there was a newswork report Newswire underscore us Trump I wasn't with Epstein all the time at all and I hate you unemployed flop. Andrew Cuomo retweeted that and said Tim Robinson as syntax, oh my god, all the.
Speaker 2: Time at all, all the time at all?
Speaker 3: Wow, and then no context Humans tweeted a video with the tagline It's the simple things. It's just these kids throwing an apple. They're like around a light pole that has like a point on the top of the light and they're just throwing an apple and trying to stick.
Speaker 2: It on the top.
Speaker 3: And then they get it and just the pure joy like that they feel. Again, this goes with the things we've been talking about about, just like pure mind numbing, like doing shit just to do stuff, like those little challenges that you can set for yourself. Oh yeah, you can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore, Brian. You can find me on Blue Sky at Jack will be the number one. You can find us on Twitter and Blue Sky at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. You can go to this episode wherever you're listening to it and in the description at the bottom you will find the footnotes. This is where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode. We also link off to a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, is there a song that you think that people might enjoy?
Speaker 2: Yes, there is. I was just listening.
Speaker 1: TikTok serves you all kinds of music, and there's like, you know, this is a genre of like corridos that are called trap corridos, and this artist Junior h Is like fucking you know up there, And I think I've just realized too, because I listened to all kinds of music like I'll listen to a lot of electronic music and then you kind of need to hear people playing instruments and really just like kind of singing and shit. This is called Sad Boys to Dollar sign for the for the S and Sad Boys II like boys to Men. But yeah, this is Junior H. Most people have probably heard this song. But if you haven't, just just familiarize yourself with a new genre of music that maybe you don't listen to as much.
Speaker 2: Because they're not singing in English.
Speaker 3: So this is Junior H with Sad Boys too, all right. We will link after that in the footnotes for these is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 2: That is going to do it for us this.
Speaker 3: Morning, but we are back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we'll talk to you all then.
Speaker 2: Bye. By The Daily Zeitgeist is executive produced by Catherine Long, co produced by Bee Wang, co produced by Victor Wright, co written by J M mcnapp, edited and engineered by Justin Conner.